Speaker 1: And now move the sticks with Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks.
Speaker 2: What's up, everybody? Welcome to move the sticks, DJ, Bucky and look who it is. It's our good friend Rhett who's joined the show. America is back.
Speaker 3: Let's go, let's go still ride in the high July fourth baby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how long after? How long? By the way, today we're going to hit on the Manning camp where Brett was And we do this every year. But how long after you got back from Thibodau before you stop sweating? Now?
Speaker 1: Right into the right, right into the fourth of July picnic, still with a nice glisten Yeah, just just glistening.
Speaker 2: You do a way do you weigh in way out and out of that camp.
Speaker 3: Years?
Speaker 1: But I love that heat, like I I like.
Speaker 3: It's like a warm embrace for activity.
Speaker 2: I like, I like I like sweat that like I like working out. Yeah, Buck, there's no way around every day just like walking around you don't nobody enjoys that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just.
Speaker 4: Such a it's just such a hard just a horrid deal. It's hot, it's muggy, the bugs come on.
Speaker 1: You need that humidity, but you need a little bit of that rather that than like that that drive Phoenix heat at hundred and ten.
Speaker 2: Guess what we don't We don't live in Phoenix.
Speaker 4: We paid a California tax.
Speaker 2: Well, we get to California right now. We California. Whether over eighty.
Speaker 1: I'm like, whoa, whoa, WHOA.
Speaker 2: Didn't sign up for this. I signed it for seventy eight's that's true. That's true for those who don't know, like golf heat by the way, like the golf humidity. Like here, I'll give you the two the two adjustments I had to make as a kid whorew up in San Diego going to going to college in Monroe, Louisiana for for two years or year and a half. The first the first one was this I remember that, well, there's three. First of all, it was like, why are we practicing at seven o'clock in the morning? At seven o'clock at night? What are we doing? Do you want that? That was the first thing. The second thing was we'd be walking out towards practice and there was just all these aerosol cans like just lined up, and I just remember thinking, like, I guess like sunscreen or something like you know, I put some sunscreen onto my dorm. I'm fine. And then and then I came back in. I'm like, hey, why does look like I have chicken pox. They're like, yeah, the mosquitos, you dummy, that's what the freaking space were on the way out to practice. So that was my second thing. And then the third thing, and Buck, I know you you'll this is same. I'm sure it's same in Carolinas. But like I remember parking. We were going to like a store, like a clothing store or something, with like four or five of us, and we parked and we're, you know, I don't know, maybe seventy five hundred feet from the store, and it just started to sprinkle, like just the tiniest sprinkle, and these guys like freaking Carl Lewis who say bolt like they take off sprinting for the store, and I'm like, guys, it's a little doh my gosh, it just went. I am just I'm like, yeah, that was my So those are my three adjustments.
Speaker 1: We had one of those, by the way, we got rained out. One practice got rained out. It was the day two, afternoon, number two practice of the day, which was actually.
Speaker 3: Kind of nice. It was kind of nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we got all.
Speaker 3: The workouts in for the college quarterbacks that were there, which.
Speaker 2: Is alright, well, this is gonna get us to this show today and I'll start us off. It is time for Hot or Not, brought to you by with Sabby Hot Cloud Storage. We've talked about the heat, so we've handled that part of it. Rhett. For those that don't know, just give the thirty thousand foot view of what this camp is and how it's growing over the years.
Speaker 1: YEP started nineteen ninety six two Lane University. I was in eighth grade and went to the camp as a camper, kept going back all the way through my senior year. I was invited to come back, you know by Archie in the in the staff when I was playing in Indiana and have been coming back on staff ever since. This was the twenty ninth year of the camp. I've now been to twenty seven of the twenty nine, so missed two of them. And it was actually DJ where we first met in person, was down at the Manning camp. When you refuse to let your entire team get equal playing times when they in the game, no we did not.
Speaker 3: So it's about.
Speaker 2: I'd like to play quarterback? Yeah, yeah, so what I mean, but you're.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this guy's playing, right, Yeah, so you were you were the reason that that Archie was getting all the calls from the parents and like.
Speaker 3: My kid didn't play.
Speaker 2: Yeah, get all this money for this camp. Well that's what the individual drills are for, right.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, And so fifteen hundred campers this time, biggest camp yet had I think it was. The final number was forty eight college quarterbacks on staff and then about another hundred or so additional staffers, high school coaches from around the country. A bunch of NFL guys ended up showing up just to sometimes their kids are campers and they kind of hang around a little bit, which is always always really fun to see. What The distinguished guest of this camp though, was John Gruden, who was just an absolute firecracker of of just passion for ball in you know, ninety five degree heat and hundred percent humidity down in Thibodeau.
Speaker 3: So that was cool.
Speaker 1: It's four days, two full days, two half days of just NonStop ball man, and it's it's a chance for you to pour into the kids, but to also receive a lot of value to you know, as a staff member, as a high school coach.
Speaker 3: Is a college quarterback. It's really full service.
Speaker 4: I got to ask you, Ritt, how, yeah, do the participants to counselors, how much do they revere having the mannings available?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: How how much are they hanging on every word when those guys get in front of room, Payton and Elick.
Speaker 1: Well looking, you guys know this because it's it ends up being a question to a handful of guys that end up coming through our doors in the draft process because and you always get just a little bit of a different answer, like somebody takes a little bit something, you know, a little something different from each each time that they get to interact with Eli and Peyton and with Cooper and with Archie and with everybody that's down there. I think, uh, just understanding, like your coaches tell you, and you have a sense of.
Speaker 3: What you need to do right to be the.
Speaker 1: Best, but to hear it from the best, to hear exactly what their process was, I think it resonates just a little bit differently, right when you understand what Peyton was doing to prepare, when you understand how Eli, you know, managed to be the face of a franchise in New York for the entirety of his career and you understand, start to understand all that goes into that. I think it just sinks in a little bit more. And so I would say it is it is revered, like there's no zero to ten on it. Like it is it is up there, and they definitely take advantage of those opportunities, which is really deep.
Speaker 2: It's a good way of explaining all that. So there's kind of like the thirty thousand foot view of the camp that was this week's Hot or Not segment brought to you by with Sabby Hot Cloud Storage, show more and do more with your data. Try them for free at Withsabi dot com. So this is the good stuff we're looking forward to. RTT is you get a chance to be around these college quarterbacks, which is going to be who we're talking about in the spring and in the springs to come with the with the NFL Draft ahead of us. So I guess give us an idea of some of the some of the big time names that were there, and then we get in to the takeaways.
Speaker 1: Sure, sure, so you know really excited, you know this year to see a bunch of these guys, A couple of them. I'm going to see my work for Big Ten Network. Mark Ronowski from Iowa. I'm sure I'm going to see in the Big Ten Luke Altmeyer from Illinois. Illinois's top twenty five team this year playoff aspirations. So it was excited to see those two guys selfishly for those reasons. And then you had like, you know, the guys that could be the top five, six, seven quarterbacks in the country this year. John Matteer from Oklahoma, Leonora Sellers from South Carolina, kde Klubnick from Clemson, Sam Levitt from Arizona State, Gunner Stockton from Georgia, and of course the name the namesake, Arch Manning from Texas.
Speaker 2: And so start there by the way I'm start there. All right, let's just do it.
Speaker 1: Let's start right there, because I think I mentioned this to you guys, or may have been. It was Almo with the Insiders last year, right after the camp, and I was just blown away by how just grounded.
Speaker 3: Arches despite all that's happening around him.
Speaker 1: How you know, it was important to him to stay away from the nil stuff until he got that job, until he was going to be the starter, which you know, obviously he is going into this season and his joy for the game, like his joy and his passion for being around ball, for being around teammates, for being around his guys. Like you know, I think when you when you Weres was there with him last year and they were like neck and neck, just always couldn't couldn't separate him.
Speaker 3: And just like guy enjoys the college experience.
Speaker 1: And so when you hear Eli and Payton talk about why it was important for him to go.
Speaker 3: To Texas, to stay at Texas.
Speaker 1: Even though he was going to sit for the better part of two years, it's because like they wanted him to like enjoy going to college at Texas, like that was actually a goal that was actually a priority. And you can see that man, and it's like, yeah, sure the weight of the world might be on his shoulders from externally, but like when you're around him, it sure doesn't feel like he feels that. So I think he's got a great demeanor for being a quarterback.
Speaker 3: Then you get to just watching him and it's like.
Speaker 1: It's just it's just different, man, it is, you know, And I know they've done some work he works with with David Morris and Quarterback Country. You guys, you know, we know very well and they've done some really good work with him too, Like his motion is so compact and efficient.
Speaker 3: And it just popps.
Speaker 1: So like they've worked a lot, and this is not unique to Arts, right, so many of these quarterbacks are going to be you know, quote unquote closed off. Right, that front foot is kind of closed off, and so Arch was leaning at the top of his drop, at the top of his release point quite a bit. So man, they've really worked on opening that front foot up and bringing that rotation through and man, you can see this ball is just popping like it is alive off his hand, not like it wasn't before.
Speaker 3: But it's different.
Speaker 1: It is different from when I saw him, you know, coming in as a freshman, even the last year, like this year, it felt like he is dialed, like his mechanics are dialed in, and every ball is just it's just so it's so effortless, like it just comes out with ease. You know, we said that about a number of quarterbacks you know that have been at the top of the class, you know, whether you know, whenever they end up coming out, and he's certainly guys fits that.
Speaker 3: Bill.
Speaker 4: I gotta I want to follow up on that because the big thing. Like a lot of times when you go see a quarterback live, it is to get a feel for the velocity in those things. And so you talk about the improvements and how the ball comes out and how lively it is. You've seen some of the top quarterbacks like even before then to come out, Like where does it rain? Do we talk about like plus arm talent? Are we above average? Like where where would you put that that that arm arm talent when it just on a.
Speaker 1: Natural throwing Yeah, I mean it's it's, it's it's special. Like you know, I'm not gonna say he's, uh, he's Andy Luck over here or anything like that, but like it's it's it's it's in that conversation like of guys that I've seen throw it that make it look that good, you know what I mean. And then like just a body type like he's just so powerful, like his lower half is so well built and he maintains like just some some urgency in his drops and his footwork. I mean, this is a big athletic kid. He And that's what I think again, people are going to really start to understand if they haven't seen it outside of Austin this year, is that you know he is he is not.
Speaker 3: I mean he is more Archie Manning than Peyton and Eli Manning. Uh and even you know.
Speaker 1: He's you know, like his dad, Cooper was a pretty damn good athlete, you know, went to Old Miss the receiver before he had this this spinal cord injury. And so he has got his his grandpa and his dad's athleticism. And I think that in today's game, he is the prototype of today's quarterback.
Speaker 3: Like that's for me.
Speaker 1: Like he is he is more like you know, built physically and then with the arm talent and with the athleticism like it's it just to check, check check.
Speaker 2: That's going to lead me right to the next guy. Then, because I just finished and I talked about him previously Lemora's Sellers and watching him and how I'm curious to see because I'm a big fan of his and I'll do arch next. I haven't done him yet, but just comparing those guys physically, hey what do they you know physically look like build wise and height wise, all those types of things as well. It's just kind of how the ball came out of their hand this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So Leonora's Sellers, as you can imagine DJ just from watching it on tape, but when you see it in person, it's a strong man. The power is intoxicating like it is.
Speaker 3: It is so fun like it is.
Speaker 1: It is definitely like you want to follow him around, like you just want to watch it, like you want to hear it, you know, like when his fingers when that when his fingers come off the ball.
Speaker 3: As that ball starts its rotation, it's like a whip, like you hear it, and it's I mean, it is it is.
Speaker 1: Really it is different, I'll put it that way, you know, like it's it's to me, the power coming off of it, coming out of his hand is even you know, a step above what you saw from March. But it's a different type of delivery, Like it's the RPMs are so wound up in that thing. So and then like I got to spend a litle time with him, you know, just to talk to him to kind of understand a little bit more about who he is. And you know, he's one of those dudes that you know, will sit there, look in the eye, we'll ask you what will be an active participant in the conversation and not just a yes or no, You know, a type of answer answerer of questions which a lot of these guys end up being like he, you know, loved talking about the offense now with Mike Shula as the play caller, and Mike's brother, Dave was at the camp and has been at the camp for a number of years, and so Dave was telling me just about how they love the kid. I mean, he talked for about ten minutes about who Lenora Sellers is before we even talked about what he is as a player. So I thought that was pretty special. You've all heard the stories about what he turned down to stay at South Carolina. But that humbleness like that, that loyalty, that ability to understand you know what it means, you know, for him to be there at South Carolina and to remain there at South Carolina, I think was pretty special in today's world.
Speaker 2: But by the way, I I just wrote him up because I just finished and I'd watched him a few days ago and had to write him up. But I was curious because I had heard, you know, talking to dal Loggins, who had been the oc there at South Carolina, and you know, talking about, yeah, he loves him, and he was like talking about how you know, he's smart, and he's he's he's a good kid, and he loves ball and all this stuff. And he's talked about how he was a winner, and so I was like, Okay, did he I wonder if did he win a state championship? So I wanted I went back and pulled up his high school stuff. Buck, I know, Rhett, I know guys that numbers are high school his last year forty five touchdowns, two picks and then rushed for thirteen hundred and thirty eight yards and seventeen touchdowns, led his team of the four A state championship. Yeah, he was, and I believe he was rich, says runner up. Uh, he was a finalist for the States, mister football. He didn't win? Who what did the other guy do? That's what I like to know. No, curatious, unbelievable, but no, the kid, the kid Buck. When you get a chance and you get a chance to dig in on him, like there's with bodies on him him, it is Ben Roethlisberger, Josh Allen type stuff where guys he just pulls, pulls through guys and gets guys, shrugs guys off of him like it's it's a different level of just strength and power. And then you know, I've I wrote down Houdini about ten times in the three games that I watch where it's like unblocked rusher and they he's so casual with it, like you know, this is like Lamar does that where it's you know, it's a it's an unblocked defender and it's not like this big eyes panic like it's just like and then just kind of he moves and he's gone. You don't touch him. Like he's got unbelievable elusiveness.
Speaker 4: He's such a different player, right, Like we we made the conversations last year, I think we compared somebody to like the Steve McNair in terms of rugged lab but DJ he's more like that type in terms of like the physicality that he brings to the position. But the thing is he can run, but he doesn't lean on that as his soul.
Speaker 2: He takes a clean up. He can operate.
Speaker 4: Me. Yeah, it is so unique that you have someone who is gifted enough as a runner where he could be a fifteen hundred yard rusher, but he is really dialed in in the pocket and he uses it when he needs it, not just because he has it. It is a unique skill and tool. And when we talk about people willing to bet on the upside, he may not play like some of the other guys play, but you can see why if you are about the prototypes and the tools and hey, I got to compete with the Allens and Mahomes, you can see why people will be fascinated with what he could be.
Speaker 2: If he continues to play at the level that he's played at well.
Speaker 1: And just to kind of give you another analogy of what I'm kind of talking about with what you know, people who wanted to go see Leonoris, like you know, DJ is an aspiring golfer.
Speaker 3: Now you know, like you actually you want to you know, you want.
Speaker 1: To follow like people the throng of people that would follow Tiger Woods right or that would follow you know, their favorite golfer, Scheffler whoever. It was like at it, like when when they set up these quarterback workouts down here, two.
Speaker 3: Of the three workouts are there's four stations.
Speaker 1: Peyton runs one, Eli runs one, Demo runs one, and then they got another couple of guys.
Speaker 3: That run another one.
Speaker 1: Like like there were guys like me that would just follow Leonoris through each each station, just because they wanted to see it, right, see it in different scenarios, and they did.
Speaker 3: They did a really good job with that.
Speaker 2: So well, you know what they say about next year's draft, it's a seller's market.
Speaker 1: Oh hey, look young though, right. I mean it's no you know, no, no guarantee that we're going to see him again, but see him come out.
Speaker 3: But I mean we'll see.
Speaker 2: All right. So those I mean talked about Arch talked about sellers. To me, those are the two headliners that I was most interested. So now I want to get into like, who are some of the other guys that that jumped out to you?
Speaker 1: Well, look, I mean a couple of guys that we're going to talk about a lot coming up here this spring. Kye Club, Nick Clemson and Garrett nus Meyer at LSU actually kind of similar body types, you know. But the thing I kept coming back to was the way that Garrett nuss Meyer handles himself, the way that he approaches a workout. And I did get to see his dad. His dad was there for a little bit.
Speaker 3: Doug.
Speaker 1: Doug and I go way back to when he was coming into the league with the Saints out of Idaho, and he actually briefly held the Superdome record for the longest touchdown pass in history. Yeah, Terry guess, but that that that record was quickly broken when Drew Brees came into town.
Speaker 3: But anyway, so I got to catch up with Doug a little bit.
Speaker 1: And you can just see son of a coach, right, you see that in the way he talks, the way he acts with the microphone in front of him, which I had actually had a chance to run a Q and A with the campers and about ten of these quarterbacks, and Nus was one of them.
Speaker 3: Man, just he's got an edge to him.
Speaker 1: Like he is a fiery competitive like so many questions as you can imagine in Louisiana.
Speaker 3: That were lodged towards.
Speaker 1: Nuss Meyer and Clubnik ahead of the week one matchup between those two, right, the whole Death Valley conversation, the whole thing, you know, like everybody wanted to know. And look, they had some playful back and forth. But Nus is a gamer man like he is. He let it be known that like, look, yeah, I mean we respect the heck kind of Clemson kid's one of the best quarterbacks in the country. But you know, like we're here to win this game. And the thing that reminded the thing that I was reminded watching Nus throw the ball and Klubnick was you know, like he was totally fine. Like it didn't it didn't wow me, didn't jump out to me, but like totally you know, kind of handle himself, maybe the way in which you would expect just kind of steady Eddy, but Nus, like Nus was different in the way he approached each rep in each workout was really kind of fun to watch, just the way he would the way, like the intensity in which he would you know, make a drop on air. It honestly reminded me of the way that Peyton used to do it in those workouts in those settings like it was the Super Bowl in in the at the end of June, like that's everything was so technically and fundamentally sound with him with the way like and I just you know, because there's guys who you know, will take a shotgun snap, they'll like you know, bounce around for a second and then try to show off the arm. That was not nuts. He was working the game, working the drill, working the rep every time. I thought that was really really impressive. So those two guys certainly, another guy that we don't talk about a ton but was a college football playoff quarterback last year was Jennings from SMU, and he was there. And what I'll bring up with Jennings is the urgency, like the urgency in which he gets rid of the ball, in which he gets to his release point from wherever he is under center and his shotgun.
Speaker 3: I mean it is cat quick.
Speaker 1: And so that kind of brought me to some of John Gruden's like greatest hits.
Speaker 3: From the camp, Like when I went up to him and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, coach, what do you get out of what do you get out of a workout like this? You know in shorts and T shirts on air? You know a couple receivers here and there they've never worked with. He's like, it's quickness, man, you know, I mean it's quickness, right. I want to see mental quickness. I want to see you working through the progression even when you don't have a defense out there. And I want to see the arm quickness. I want to see the body quickness. Like everything was about quickness and urgency. And Kevin Jennings man was was outstanding on that front. There's a number of guys that were like that too, but he really stuck out to me. And while I'm on the topic of Gruden, and I'll get back to the quarterbacks here in just sec but for you, Coach Buck, I want to and you'll appreciate the story too, ditch, but.
Speaker 2: Let me let me make that determination. Go ahead.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, fair enough. So Gruden's with Johnny Major's at Tennessee.
Speaker 1: It's like one of his first gigs in college, right, yes, exactly right, And they talked about that but low level Stafford because CD he's always down at the camp, but low level Stafford. And he's got the privilege of entertaining Frank Broyles, who was coming in to hang out with coach Majors, right, you know, the Broyles Award giving her a top assistant Arcus. He comes in and and Broyles, Broyles wants to watch some tape and uh, and so he and Gruden get to talking about it, and he's got to go do a cut up for Coach Broyle's which is like literally cutting the film right and putting it up on the projector and all that. So he does it and they show a bunch of routes that he's been working on with some of the receivers and talking to Coach Broyles about the route depth, you know, like we're gonna run this deep bot you know, this this over route here, we're gonna get up to twelve yards and we're gonna make this break. And Coach Broyles is watching the tape. He's like, hey, Coach Cruden, what was what was the depth of that route that you were saying on that He's like twelve, Coach. He's like, this guy's running out of ten here, and he would go through another route and he's like, this route depth isn't quite resids nine thought you said ten. And Cruden's like, oh boy, I'm getting roasted here by broils, like thinking that you know my you know, my stuff doesn't stink here.
Speaker 3: And sure enough.
Speaker 1: But the what Broyle said to him is what you see on tape is what you coach, right, even if it's not even even if it's not directly something that even if the guy's doing something that you know you might have told him to go at twelve, but he's still going at ten, that's on you, right. And there's just something so simple that kind of stuck with me there. But what you see on tape is what you coach, both negatively and positively. So you know, just just a reminder out there about the detail.
Speaker 2: How many times have you heard that? Buck though? Hey, we're either teaching it or we're allowing it.
Speaker 4: And the and the hard thing is are you persistent in terms of are you on them every day about those details or whatever. It is always funny though when you hear coaches talk about those old coaches who are great the attention to detail.
Speaker 3: That's it, man, When when?
Speaker 4: And that is why some coaches like to invite other coaches to observe practice, because that ego that an old coach has, and you know, they kind of are unfiltered, so they would tell you, like frame Burls, So.
Speaker 1: I'm not right, yeah, okay, all right, you want uh you want one one bit of comedy from uh?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: Uh so let me let me pull this up here exactly because uh I mentioned Mark Gronowski was there, right, So first workout, first workout was, oh, let's see that it was the Thursday, right, and they're running through a bunch of drills and then they start running. They start running some routes, routes on air, and you know they're gonna do like five or six, seven, eight different routes.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then they ended with a go route right, just the nine ball right, we're running and we're just we're letting, we're airing it out to and ended up and so you know, there's forty quarterbacks trying to work out time, ends up getting constrained.
Speaker 3: He only gets to throw the go ball once. He's like, no, no, no, no, only threw it once.
Speaker 1: My man Grant Jordan, who will be the starter at UMass this year after an illustrious career at Yale transferred into UMass. He kind of pipes in from the back. He's like, dude, you're a quarterback at Iowa. You only get one go ball. It was just like the realness of it. That's a line, but that also goes to show you, like the little bit of the kind of friend personal competitiveness and personality that goes on with these like alpha dudes that are all in a room together for four days, which was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: All Right, we're down to our last few minutes here, Red, so I'm gonna give you kind of do you have five guys can you give me the thumbnail on five more intriguing guys that were there.
Speaker 1: John Mattyr. John Matteer, is I mean really, I mean like he was the most impressive to me day one, Like first workout, I was like, holy smokes. And then like you watch me, you see I don't know if it comes if you see it on on tape as much DJ, but like you see him in person, that dude is built like thickness lower half, like he could put the neck roll on and be a full back if you needed him too. And he's kind of got that mentality too.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 1: So was uh, it was kind of excited about that and about him. Sam Levitt Man, I think for a guy who saw his star just explode last year for the Big twelve champion Arizona State Sun Devils, like I was, I was impressed with just man. He's got he kind of he puts it together, understands like the position he's in now, and pretty solid, I mean pretty tightly wound. He was not like I would put him in like the certainly the top five, top six seven guys that were that were throwing it, ripping it around there for sure, so I'd have him up there. Let's see, uh up, We've done Jennings, we did Arch Club.
Speaker 2: Nick.
Speaker 1: I would say, you know, Gunner Stockton was just kind of middle of the road for me. You know, I think there's probably some it's just like it wasn't as elite at the high end as some of the other guys. Not to say he can't get the job done for Georgia with the extremely talented group around him, like, I think they're gonna be just fine. Ty Simpson was a fun one to watch and like just a really you know, for a guy who's gonna be a quarterback at Alabama, very unassuming, like just kind of little.
Speaker 2: He needs to be careful because it sounds like the freshman kid they got coming in there from Duncanville is like one of the most interciting love dub players in the country. Yeah, Ty's gotta get you, gotta hit the ground running. We don't no kidding.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then the the last one I'll give you is a guy was extremely impressed with kind of in the workouts and then just in the way he carried himself.
Speaker 3: Austin Simmons at Old Miss.
Speaker 1: Red shirt sophomore who is kind of been at Old miss right, and I know, I know, you know, Coach Kiffin has said that, like he's got some stuff that Jackson Dark didn't right in his tool bag, which is extremes baseball and he was baseball and football. Dudd like twenty strikeouts for the Revs the previous baseball season, and you know he's going to be playing his first real football you know, this year he is. He graduated, he has already graduated. He's nineteen years old. He's already graduated at on this he is now working on his on his next degree. Just really smart, like he was really competitive with the kids, was really good coaching the kids. You know, Like I've talked to you guys about this a number of times. DJ, Like we're going through routes on air, which is a part of the drill period, and we you know, we go in with the quarterbacks. So my group of receivers joins a group of quarterbacks. And I always wanted to just ask, man, man, what's your favorite two man combo over here that we can we can get the receivers to run. Some of them are like, huh, what do we don't do that in our offense? I'm like, well, can you just can you just do one here, because this is what we got. We got six receivers. Okay, let's just let's try and get him some reps. And this dude was out here, I mean like coaching up routes. Route technique coach Broyles would have been proud man he was. He was coaching up the details of every route. So I think he's got a great command of what Lane wants him to do. He has got some excellent tools, really mobile and just like a really kind of whippy arm. I'm excited to see what what he's got for him.
Speaker 2: I just I just love all he's saying personality wise.
Speaker 4: Whose personality stood out to you? You've been around the quarterback position, yeah, you know, like who's the dude's dude.
Speaker 2: When it comes to all those guys been around each other?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know it was.
Speaker 1: You know, it's kind of interesting to kind of watch that unfold, like we've you know, we've talked about it in the past, like guys that they kind of have that magnetism to him, you know, and nuss Meyer is is really that guy. And you can see why Brian Kelly loves him, why l s u why his teammates love him at l.
Speaker 3: S U, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Sure that they've got guys that are probably, you know, maybe more talented. You know, from like just an overall standpoint, probably could have gone out and got guys that are more talented. But I don't think you'll find a guy who connects more, who is more ready for the moment, who is more technically and fundamentally ready to be the guy at LSU again this year than nus Meyer. And like you could just kind of see it, like guys were just around him all the time, which I thought was pretty cool.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. All right. To close it up, selfish, they have to ask you about one final guy, Sawyer Robertson from Baylor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Sawyer was great. Sawyer was great. You know, it's kind of a small world here. His backup quarterback, Nate Bennett is our pastor at our church out here. Oh my gosh, yeah, oh nuts. Yeah, it's a totally small world deal. So I went up to him. We started talking, and you want to talk about impressive young men, like that was probably the most impressive conversation that I had.
Speaker 3: Like that guy.
Speaker 1: Man just has a great of gratitude for where he is. The opportunity as and like I thought he threw the ball actually, you know pretty well. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But my favorite moment was I was like, hey, uh, just kind of curious if you, uh, if.
Speaker 1: You had any idea about a you know, you know, younger guy was in the was in the recruiting office, was in the football office, little right right, Ryland Jeremiah and and I was like what.
Speaker 3: Yeah, He's like, yeah, I know Ryland. Ryland was the first guy ever caught a pass for me at Baylor. Uh.
Speaker 1: And I was like what. And so he told me this whole story about how, uh did you just a park? They were there at a park and Ryland went up and bought balls from him, and and so they've been kind of tight and they'd see each other in the office. And but here's the thing, like, you know how the interview question right whereas you know they bring into the office and like, hey, do you remember the second the receptionist name that you remember the guy who greeted his name. That guy like understands the importance of every person in the organization.
Speaker 3: It was clear to me.
Speaker 1: And like he went on and and and on about Ryland and about you know, he loves Taylor.
Speaker 3: I think Baylor's in great hands this year with Sawyer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll be interesting. Yeah, Buck, he was there. I think he was just there with a couple buddies, like just throwing the football around. And Ryland and is in recruiting and then knew knew who he wasn't kind of what he looked like. He's like, I think that's our new quarterback. Has transferred them from a six state Go over to say hello to him, and he's like, hey, you he needs somebody to catch some balls. So routes cup balls from him right at the park because he just got into Waco. But yeah, he had he had a good year. They've got a really good running back. They should be uh interesting. Did you see by the way, Buck, do you see Prime on Big twelve media days? I I did.
Speaker 4: Prime was decked out, had his new little Nike shoes on and all that.
Speaker 2: Michael Playmaker.
Speaker 4: Playmaker got a shout out because there was a lot of concern about Prime's health because he kind of been in the dark, so it was he didn't address it, but it was great to see him. I just think Prime is Prime, and he's gonna say whatever he feels, and so the salary cap thing is what came out of that. How he feels like, hey, just look at the teams that are playing in a deal and I'm like, well, yeah, but that's no different than anything that we've seen, Like, yeah, you got to.
Speaker 2: Pay to play, and we're all much better coaches when you got better players.
Speaker 4: So you got to find a way to get better players.
Speaker 2: And right now you talk about the haves and the have nots.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's a big part of college football, and you got to figure out a way to get in the game if you want to compet at the high levels.
Speaker 2: Him about Joey McGuire, Did you see that one?
Speaker 3: Shout out?
Speaker 2: John?
Speaker 3: Love you, Joey, Joey, I love you Joey.
Speaker 2: That money he left over money there at Texas Tech, my way, that's funny. Not a lot of oil money in Colorado, not that I know of it.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, but you know who got money. I got money because they broke him off with their new contract.
Speaker 2: You will be okay, all right, boys, this has been fun rahtt The tradition lives. Yes, I appreciate you coming on and doing give it Manning recap and I'll let you get back to Uh. I mean, I'm gonna guess today, Rhett, probably what do you think, Buck, I think he'srobably grilling some salmon burgers.
Speaker 3: That sounds great.
Speaker 2: What you think he's got going on today?
Speaker 1: Boys got boys got basketball practice back to back, so we got a stummer hoops, we got to get it going.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Oh outdoors early?
Speaker 2: Oh nice? Yeah, White men can't jump action out there.
Speaker 4: You probably probably you probably have JJ Redick coaching your team based on where you're at.
Speaker 3: Efficient.
Speaker 2: No more than three dribbles. Three dribbles too many.
Speaker 3: On that front.
Speaker 2: Man, you're bringing back nightmares. Man, remember the one, Remember remember one? Remember one on one one dribble, Remember that you get I've only played three dribbles. We did one. It was all just jab steps. It was jab steps, shot figs and you got one dribble and you got a pull and so it was Yeah.
Speaker 4: You can't even you can't even, guy, you can't even using unorthodox Hey you anything.
Speaker 2: But you can get but you can get the one dribble on a step back. You can get a lot of.
Speaker 1: But my only advice to the boys, boardman gets board man gets paid. We're going out towards we are living on the boards.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll leave you.
Speaker 2: I'll leave you with this. I went through a horrible shooting slump. I don't remember. It was some time in high school. I don't know what a year I was in, but my dad, I was a point guard, and my dad was like, hey, you just gotta stop thinking about shooting, all right, get that out of your head. I'm going to pay you ten dollars for every rebound you get in this game. I swear to you, guys, well, getting back on defense is not an option. I was, hey, a lot, yeah, yeah, a lot of cherry pick layups on the other end. But I was getting my boards. I think I got like, I think eighty bucks. Man, They're like eight boards is a point guard. It's nice, Okay, ninety three that's trying to get a triple double. Fann't know. I don't care, don't care. It's eighty bucks.
Speaker 4: I certainly hope you want to do it like Ricky Davis throwing the ball off.
Speaker 2: The bad board and grabbing me and just getting your own board. That's not a bad idea. That's not a bad idea at all. That's outstin all right. This has been fun. I hope you guys have enjoyed it. We'll see you next time. Right here, I'm on the thing.