Speaker 1: He is drinks chess, motherfucking podcast man.
Speaker 2: He's a legendary queens rapper.
Speaker 3: He ain't agreed as your boy in O R E. He's a Miami hip hop mayonnaier on up his DJ E f N. Together they drink it up with some.
Speaker 1: Of the biggest players, you know what I mean, and the most professional unprofessional podcast and your number one source for drunk drink chans. Mother post every day is New Year's c's It's time for drink Champs.
Speaker 3: Drink up, motherfucking mother. Would a good be hoping to sud be This is your boy in O R E. One up his dj E f N. This middle drink Champs Happy Hour, drink some n Now. When we started this show, we said we wanted to to give people, you know, their flowers. Who wanted to give people the icons, the legends. When we talk about this man, this man has made countless music for twenty over twenty twenty five is it twenty five, twenty seven, twenty seven years? I mean he got hits upon hits.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 3: He's an actor, a dancer, producer, writer, keeping her reality star far man. He could do it all.
Speaker 1: Recently, he has been going viral for his dance moves and falling.
Speaker 3: Off the stage. I was at that show. I just missed you. I love his friend idjudgment.
Speaker 1: So when I tell you, man, this is a legend of bar legend, a real one.
Speaker 3: You know, I searched. I've been searching him so much, and then you know, this is the first time, like I've heard about his depression because I've been seeing him for years and I have never seen him have a bad day. I appreciate that this is a legend, icon hit maker and his historian because were gonna get he just got history upon history. So in case you don't know who they talking about, one only tell you why. What I like about recently. What I like about recently is a lot of people don't laugh at theirself. Oh yeah, and I love the fact that you did not let the internet win. No, the Internet they tried to like because what was it? It was the first It was the dad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean, you know what, when you've been in this business as long as I have, I'm glad so that it was just one of those things and the research reason why people were at the dank and I realized it's definitely two different moves.
Speaker 3: Totally young, young, the old Jesus. Yeah, I loved it, Like so many people don't laugh at something. Yeah, is that some of you developed?
Speaker 1: Like I had to develop it, man, because I got so many kids and they laugh.
Speaker 3: Okay, So they was like, Dad, don't get mad, this is funny. You can make some part of this. Okay. So hold on, when did you know you was virable?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: Whoit?
Speaker 1: I was?
Speaker 3: Actually I was in Vegas.
Speaker 1: I was doing a show with Chris Angel and so I had a break and my phone was lighting up.
Speaker 3: So I was like, what the hell is going on?
Speaker 1: Like I was like, did somebody you know what I'm saying? You don't know what's going on? And when they showed me, I was like, I'm instantly like I don't care about that.
Speaker 3: You know, when you season and its been very little things mess with you. I gotta admit that kind of mess with me a little bit. Yeah, it messed with me a little bit because I was like, dag yo, I was playing, I'm chilling, I'm I'm doing what I do.
Speaker 1: I'm playing, and so all the viral stuff, all that stuff was truly like noid for real, Like all that stuff is just new to me. Like I didn't know, like like once you once that happens, like there's a lot of other things you can do. I was like yo, because at first I felt the way, and then my kids had to call me.
Speaker 3: Dad was like, no, Dad, you can do this. It's like a rebrand. Yes, yes, did you see that? But do you first see it? They sent it to me Twitter. Yeah, yeah, I love Twitter. Yes, I go on Twitter just to get beat up. Really just going like whenever ho like he loves whenever. I'm like too positive in this world.
Speaker 1: I'm just yeah, yeah, you gotta find me. I'm like, now you humble, I say, yeah, I stay like that. So then let's bring it to the lovers and friends. Absolutely and friends.
Speaker 3: That's when I really see you would do the response you had to pain going yeah, yeah, yeah, we're exactly happy that lovers and friends. I don't know if you addressed this yet, so let me.
Speaker 1: Take it out.
Speaker 3: OK, thank you so much. Cheers, cheers, cheers, solo solo shop a jackeline not touching my ship, bro.
Speaker 1: So yeah, So the lovers and Friends thing, man, I was so happy to be a part of them for the second second year straight.
Speaker 3: The first I was yeah, I was there last year, so you know, we're doing our thing. We're drinking, we having fun.
Speaker 1: We do what we do right, and so me, I'm all, I've always been one of those artists that you know, wanted to touch the people go out there, and I still do that right.
Speaker 3: So this particular situation, I jumped, but we know that you know the big speakers, right, especially when you get into it.
Speaker 1: Yeah and fried so you know the handles right there. You know that dip up on the lad So my foot went in it and that was on you. I almost took the guy.
Speaker 3: Then security guard.
Speaker 2: Was that the interpreted because the only thing I knew the dude was grab hold on.
Speaker 1: And I couldn't get mad because everybody was like, man, he should have caught that was like he didn't know I was grabbing him. So the one thing that I did do, I stayed professional. I kept that mic, kept the mic right when it wasn't sore or nothing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I playing sleeping. It was hot to tell, oh my god, oh my god. But yeah, I mean it worked out.
Speaker 1: I finished it, I got back, I got back to my room, had had to had to soak it up because.
Speaker 3: I didn't go virble that day. It went Viba the second day.
Speaker 1: The second day and I was like, oh, please, don't get it, dude, and I and I knew it, and my assistant and dances and everybody was like, Naji, you're gonna got.
Speaker 3: So I was like, all right, whatever.
Speaker 1: And so the next day, you know, with viral and me learning from the first time, I was like, just go along with it, just have fun with it. So that's why I said, we fall down, you know. So you know, it was one of those things where you just got to play with it. Our trip at all, I think. I mean, I won't say no names, of course, but there's been many artists that fell and so I just I'm admitted into that classroom.
Speaker 3: Now, imagine we had social media times just like in the nineties, like.
Speaker 1: Nineties everything from the stage equipment break down, like we ain't have social media. But I was so glad that you embraced the absolutely absolutely, But let me let me bounce around.
Speaker 3: Okay, your time you can a sex symbol.
Speaker 1: Okay, I mean it's considered just a lot of babies, a lot of babies.
Speaker 3: You made a lot of babies, yes, And how does it feel like because me, unfortunately, like I've made music for the streets, and Kris was always said, watch you say because you attracted. And years later, I don't want to say I even wish I didn't make music for the streets.
Speaker 1: But I wish I softened up. I wish I did maybe sooner than like global like.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, how is it making you know money off of like that image of like well for me, man, you know we started.
Speaker 1: I started in uh ninety so I made it in ninety six, so you know, I knew nothing else but to make you know, good music and come from the heart, you know, love music, soul music and all that. So you know, once I started that, I didn't know how big it was gonna be, you know what I mean, Like you always hope for the best, you don't know what it's gonna be.
Speaker 3: So you know, for me to have you know, the CITs of the.
Speaker 1: Albums that I've had with Timberland and MISSI and all those great man, it's something that I'm constantly thinking, thinking, God, just the people for because you know, a lot of people don't understand when you're not popping really here. You can go overseas and feel like Michael Jackson, like that's real.
Speaker 3: That's real.
Speaker 1: I tell that to my friends all the time, all the time. You're struggling in America. They gonna pay you, They're gonna embrace you over there, and you feel like it was it's it's it's you starting over, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So I've been man, I've been blessed to be everywhere.
Speaker 1: Man. And I went to Nigeria and this was back in maybe ninety nine or something like that, and man, they had like a what you what you call them barcade? What you call when you have so many people following you, you have you have all the motorcycles and all that kind of Moti caade, motorcare presidential.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man.
Speaker 1: And so I went over there and I was like, oh my god, this is crazy. So we went straight from the airport to the hotel. But they told us, don't lead us, don't lead us, hunt, don't lead the grounds. But yeah, you can go from here, like when you just on your you know, decline a little bit and you just want to reboot, you can go over there man and get so much love and get energy and then it allows you to come back home and just you know, start start being real, uh active, again and what it is that you do. So it's a great thing, man. So me still making money and doing what I'm doing. I'm gone every weekend mostly every weekend. Every weekend.
Speaker 3: I'm like a wrestler. So it's all good, man, It's a blessing. So yeah, I'm gonna give you three names. I want you to tell me. Infrared, Frosty, and Tornado.
Speaker 1: You you know what I got you? Okay, let me give you some history on that.
Speaker 3: What's the first one? The first one is Infrared Frosty. All of who is is who me? I got that research. I was like, so is what it was when I got with Joe to see in ninety Davante specific which is crazy connection.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so so we you know I got with them well, like I said, Davante specifically, and he was coming up with a new uh uh you know crew called swim Mall La and then and so you know, he.
Speaker 2: Was going around, he was going around the world, going.
Speaker 1: Around the States, and he was looking for his first solo male artists, first male groups, the female group female.
Speaker 3: Artists and all that. And I was pretty much picked along.
Speaker 1: With Missy Timberland, Magoole Boogieyman, tweet all of us. So the brother had an eye for talent obviously, right. So once we once I moved up, you know, I had a job. It was like eighty nine and ninety I met them, I think in eighty nine and so ninety.
Speaker 3: He was like, come on, man, it's time to rock. Now, We're about to about to get first.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So so yeah, so I'm getting to.
Speaker 1: I got so uh so he he said, come up, so I think. So when I was coming up, he was like, so, what's your scene now? I say scrappy right, so he was like why So back in the days when I used to break dance, my name was Scrappy g D Scrappy Greatest Dance.
Speaker 3: Alive right, so yeah, yeah yeah, so so he was like, nah, don't work.
Speaker 1: So those are the names that we went through trying to find a name that actually, you know, represented me and who I am as a person. So uh uh, Frosty was I don't know what made him come up with him, I don't know, but he uh, you know, he.
Speaker 3: Said that, and I was like and then so like, yeah, a little bit, I'm gonna be three with that one.
Speaker 1: So Infrared was the next one, and you know, he was like, yo, whatever you set your mind to, were trying to make make sense of it. I was like, So then the Tornado thing, I was open to that a little bit. I was open to that because the whole behind that, there you go. So you I just got.
Speaker 3: I've been trying long time. Yeah, Tonado. It was more so about what I do to the stage back then.
Speaker 1: But I did do this way. We still do it to the stage just a little that's a little bit slower. But yeah, so that's basically what it was. And so uh uh that kind of didn't work out. And so I said, I've always wanted to name always three. There you go, stop it, man, you've been doing your research.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was always a three syllable name. And I always wanted to hit her.
Speaker 1: So I said, best represents who I am as a person, as a man, and so my name is Elgin.
Speaker 3: So we just took Jim and then I was like wow.
Speaker 1: First of first, we started with genuine and I was like, nah, man, we got there, we got this something.
Speaker 3: And then I don't know, he came. He came.
Speaker 2: He was like, what about spelling it different and saying genu wine, And I was like.
Speaker 3: Dad is Okay, had anything to do with your first name? Yes, yeah, yeah, because I was like, I want to use that, I want to know that. Get you because you named the basketball player, yeah, Elgin Bela front of the Lakers.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, yes, my mom thought I was gonna probably be a basketball player. But at the end of the day she was right in the in the sense of me just being some sort of entertainer.
Speaker 3: So it was a great thing.
Speaker 1: And DeVonta had a big part of the names absolutely absolutely, yeah, yeah, because we was like he had a lot of names, man, Tornado, fifty, all kinds of fifty. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Missy did that. You know, she's joking. It was back in the days I used to wear fake some real jewelry and some fake jolly.
Speaker 3: So she said that that landed for what I was like, hell, no, no, no, we can't do that. But yeah, so yeah, that was when fifty came out.
Speaker 1: Did you have a tell?
Speaker 3: You gotta tell because it was so it was so long ago. That was ninety one because he was all on that show together. Yeah, story fire, So oh what's up?
Speaker 6: Drink Champs Army ready for a staggering statistic nearly seventy seven percent of father settle for their ladies uncomfortable baby bag when they're outside with their kids. That's according to your very own nice So just look around. Settling is not where it's at. Dad's deserved. No more struggling to find the wipes, the diapers, the cream or your.
Speaker 3: Own personal items.
Speaker 6: Introducing the fly is Dad bag, the firstborn from flydadgear dot com. It's the perfect backpack to keep dad and baby ready for whatever. Twenty one compartments make it easy to keep everything in its place and never again to dig through the bottom of this hole. That's your lady's bag. Trust me, I wouldn't have become a partner of fly dad if it wasn't legit. Not only is the firstborn my baby bag, but also the bag I take on set for Drink Champs, the bag I travel with and pretty much my go to backpack for everything I do. If stain fly and being functional is your goal, head to fly dadgear dot com, Forward, slash Amazon and get your fly dad bag today.
Speaker 2: Let's take it from Rochester. Oh yeah, yeah, definitely, y'all.
Speaker 3: All of the apartments, yeah, Dungeon, definitely y'all getting it together. And then how does that happen because you coming from DC. Yeah, yeah, so coming from DC, how did you hook up with Davonte to get to a Rochester But we were already hooked.
Speaker 2: Up, so we were already pretty much a family.
Speaker 1: This is like a writing camp, yeah really really really one of those things where like it should be a lot more of that, you know what I mean as far as cruel because we started in the studio together and we started doing contests like who can write the fastest Missy and Timberland. I mean, Missy always wants she always won. Yeah, so you know, it was a great boot camp for years for us to learn because I was on tour with them. I was on like three tours with them. I just learned the business and all that stuff. And they, you know a lot of people thought I was younger than what I was. I was already you know, a grown dude, but you know I was, you know, I had to have that had had a young look. But yeah, up in Rochester, I mean up in Rochester, we were always having you know, write offs and all that kind of stuff, and it was a great way for us to stay on our toes shopping you know, iron shop like artists camp.
Speaker 3: Yeah, pretty much, that's what it was. And you know he got that, he got a lot of that stuff from just wanting us to just to.
Speaker 1: Be the best at that time, you know what I mean, he was trying to make a Jodasy or I don't know now, I don't think he was trying to make he was trying to do the thing because he kind of left Jodason. I was like, what are you doing? So he was really on him, trying trying to be uh uh Andre Horrel because that was one of.
Speaker 3: His mentors and so yeah, yeah, yeah, but so he.
Speaker 1: Was trying to make his own, his own motown, his own own Lovetown Records and all that, and so you know, unfortunately it didn't work out. But but I wouldn't change it for the world, bro. But it was a time where like everyone kind of left. Yeah, yeah, he was the only one that stayed.
Speaker 3: I was the only one that stay. A couple couple of people I believe one of them is a Lee and one is Missy. Wasn't with miss Missy. She was like she paid loyal to the default. Yeah, she paid, she paid for me to get get back. But did you did you think she was right when she said you was loyal to a default.
Speaker 1: I didn't look at it like that. I was looking at it like he brought me from d City to nothing. And that's been a lot of the times. That's been my fault, uh in life, just trusting people. As long as I've trusted him, you know what I mean. But I always felt like, look where am I going? Where am I gonna go?
Speaker 2: People was always telling me, come on back home, they ain't.
Speaker 1: Gonna do nothing, d D.
Speaker 3: But I was like, I'm here. I got to make it. I got to do something.
Speaker 1: I got to you know, even if it even if it doesn't last as long as it has lasted, I needed to do something, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: And so so so I stuck it through.
Speaker 1: But it got a little crazy for a while, and so I was just like, yeah, Missy was like, yo, you gotta leave.
Speaker 3: You know, if you need money to leave, I got you and all that.
Speaker 1: And fortunately, you know, I was able to get back and and and do one of the fastest deals in the nineties.
Speaker 3: And it was like over the weekend with five fifty music Sony, Right.
Speaker 1: So, why did you think, because I know we're all young at the time. Yeah, yeah, So why did you think Missy and Timberland left in the first place. Was it was it about money or was it about like receiving the works. You gotta understand, when we were up there, all of us was really like just doing our own thing. We would talk and all that. But Missy was getting it. She started getting a song. Yeah, she started getting with very J Blige, Kim Puff she was.
Speaker 2: She did Raven Simon, that was like one of her first joints.
Speaker 1: And she was with us uh Semino two and she did a lot of stuff. So needless to say, if.
Speaker 3: You around our our world, people people gonna talk to you hearing about miss.
Speaker 2: And she just started doing what she was supposed to do.
Speaker 3: She did the right thing. She absolutely did the right thing. And you know we we always talked.
Speaker 1: You know, she just called me when I did fall off the sec Wow, she said, don't she let the white tell her?
Speaker 3: You tell you you ain't no start.
Speaker 1: It's so good because yeah, I mean, we spent a lot of time together. Man, we spent like six years together. So the bond is there, Okay, bond is definitely definitely there. Never will be broken her myself, Timbling. You know, we still got our got our lives to deal with and all that. But if something goes down there, they're the first and I'm the first to call them. You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Because I related to a story that you told so so bad that mine's a little bit different. But for real, didn't come to my homeboy video nothing video, the biggest records, and he didn't come, and he didn't he didn't come, but he told me, which I believe now I didn't believe then.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, he said you didn't need me, Nori, Okay.
Speaker 3: But I was like, no, I paid for you. Look up, I want you to come. So you So when I see you say that you was bad at him showing up in the video, I have felt that in my soul. Yeah yeah, and I but do you think Timberland didn't show up because of similar to the reason Pharrell? Like Pharrell was he really sincerely thought that I didn't need him. Okay, what you talking about? Which which video? Which was? Because I'm in the first one, I think the one you said you paid fifty thousand?
Speaker 1: No no, no, no, no, no no no. That was a misunderstanding. I think that was something that the label at that time. I was independent at that time, with an independent label, not me just doing everything, but with an independent label.
Speaker 3: And I think she paid him.
Speaker 1: I really don't know about that, but I knew that nothing would break album.
Speaker 3: We spent a lot of time together, bro like.
Speaker 1: Like I know that brother, I know that he had Yeah, because of what I was told and that again, it was just so long.
Speaker 3: I don't don't remember all the logistics of it.
Speaker 1: But of course with me, we had the same management for a while, and then once I broke away from that management, he distanced himself from from me a little bit.
Speaker 3: That hurt me.
Speaker 1: That that is what hurt me as far as like showing up for something late later on, I I don't think that was really an issue. I was a little more. I was a little jealous of some of some of the stuff that he was doing for uh, just to stimulate, until I learned.
Speaker 3: That Justin was writing it.
Speaker 1: So I was like, oh, okay, that's that's a whole different level.
Speaker 5: So I was just like, I'll let that go.
Speaker 3: I'll let that go.
Speaker 1: But yeah, that was you know, me and me and me and Tim will forever because connected and hopefully we'll be able to do something special again.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: I always respect shout out to Dre and Snoop and God man, I love that when I see stuff like that, shout out to Puff and even though sometimes things go on none of my business. But when he did that tour, everybody showed up Kim, and I was just like yo, I was the first thing I did. I was like, Tim, come on man, man. But you know, uh, we still got time, We still got time. Let me ask you something that Tanks said on here.
Speaker 3: There later later with something Tank said he he has sung a stance Sam Smith song. Right, I remember like this this when when a white person sings about a certain thing, it could go to certain places. But the genre of black music, like if you the majority turned on the radio, it's it's really a lot more negative than it is bad, but I mean positive, you know. So is that something that that does you agree with?
Speaker 2: As far as what as far as him saying that it's it's more bad, what you mean.
Speaker 3: Him saying that, like a white person could sing a ballad and and go, but if Tank or you sing a ballid, people judge it. They don't let it go to a certain extent.
Speaker 1: He's he's absolutely right, but he's not sometimes a lot of people got to understand it's a testament to us not supporting one another too. You understand, we gotta, we gotta if somebody comes out with something and you know, it's sort of it's sort of like boxers now and all all of that, Like we just have to support one another. We we we're so caught up in what somebody is doing negative and bringing that to the for front and bringing that to like we know, the good stuff is always overshadowed by bad stuff.
Speaker 3: And that's something that I hate.
Speaker 1: And that's why when it took me so long to say, not because you was asking me or anything about it, but for me to be open and even do podcasts or me to be because it's like the world, the world has changed so much. It's like you don't want to go on something and say something and take it out of context and then you get buyed and you lose all your all your deals. You look so I just I'm so hands off. I'm let me go do my shows, let me do what I do when I go back home.
Speaker 3: Shut my mouth.
Speaker 1: I don't do all that because you know it's crazy right now, you know what I mean, It's very crazy.
Speaker 3: I could tell that's how you feel. Yes, absolutely, I'm gonna tell you how I kept searching, search and searching all your interviews, and there was so many interviews that you wasn't even in the interview. It's just people talk about you, right, And I could tell a lot of these rumors you just didn't address because you feel like you're too big for it, or it's just because you don't want to be.
Speaker 1: I feel like I feel like I'm way too big for it. Yeah, yeah, yeah, because because that's the thing about it is. You know, this nation and everything is built on innocent until proven guilty. Right nowadays you're guilty and to proven anything. Right. So I don't never feel like I have to fight anybody for nothing, you know what I mean? Like, I know who I am, stand up, gud, I'm true to my name, always have been, always will be.
Speaker 2: So I don't feel like I have to fight fight for anything.
Speaker 1: If somebody thinks something, you've already lost anyway, Because as soon as somebody think whatever it is that they think about you.
Speaker 3: That's their truth.
Speaker 1: Anything they didn't already made up their mind. I'm not here to make to change your mind. Nigga.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, like, you look, if.
Speaker 1: You if that's that's what you feel about, keep that, take that, take that with you, take that with you know.
Speaker 2: I'm absolutely above that, absolutely absolutely Did.
Speaker 3: You ever think like that it would be where it's at right now? Like right now, like right now, you don't need no talent, You don't, you don't, you don't even need, you don't need. I'm talking about this is in general.
Speaker 1: It's not just art.
Speaker 3: It's not just artists, like a person, a person who can actually like there's so many women that I go on Instagram and I can look at this and they have two point five million followers and I'm like, she make the War Report right, like how she got more followers than me? And because he's working, she's working like history and there's no disrespect, absolutely respect her. But I have never seen this level like and there's so many Instagram comedians.
Speaker 1: That's why I always refer to that time with Mike. Mike Epps had an Instagram comedian on what Us.
Speaker 3: And Mike just fried them. Who is my man? What I'm saying is like, sometimes you put an artist next to artists next to you know, not a made up party. Did you ever think that it would be to sit here? Did you ever think it would be here, like the society would be here? You know what the teller tell the truth. Yeah, you saw the fucking we coming. You saw the idiocracy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and AI only makes it worse now, AI makes it the horrible.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: But once the internet, once the Internet came out, and once you start to see the progression of just go back to Mars, right.
Speaker 3: So I knew Tom.
Speaker 1: Everybody everybody face party, but I mean you could start to see it then, and it was brilliant what they thought about when it came to the Just the word followers, Yeah, just the word followers that gave you, that gave you such a big platform. Right. And so once it took me, yo, it took me to two thousand and fifteen or sixteen to even get Instagram and Facebook.
Speaker 3: Again and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I'm old school, bro, I come up through with with with with the Michael Jackson's and the princes and the new additions and the Bobbies and all that. We wasn't letting you know, when we're going on, no damn store man, all that kind of stuff, We're not doing that. So I never really subscribed to it until I understood it, Like I was truly.
Speaker 2: Old head, old school, like, nah, I ain't doing that.
Speaker 1: I think it actually took away the mystery and the art of an artist because it's so exploited.
Speaker 3: You know that too much access.
Speaker 1: You got way too much access to just think if Michael like what, oh my god, I don't think right. So it's one of those things man, I just never caught on until twenty fifteen. You know, I love social media, but what I hate about social media is we're all on that same level.
Speaker 3: Once we open up that app. Yes it doesn't We're all say so, there's someone in Nebraska in the basement sowhere saying no you I can talk, gonna re threet him. Yeah, He's like wait a minute.
Speaker 1: So and but going back to the you just when you said followers, I'm like, the only thing to have followers is cults and religions.
Speaker 3: It's crazy boom. So that's what I'm saying, the followers.
Speaker 1: The followers thing is it was was the key tore like, oh man, this and it's all fake, you know what I mean? Like I tell people all the time, you can have a twenty million followers or whatever.
Speaker 2: Put something out and see how many people get it or whatever.
Speaker 1: That's so cool. That's what happened out you see, that's.
Speaker 3: So what happened with hip hop.
Speaker 1: And in terms of charting, they're saying, this is the first time and in thirty years that hip hop hasn't had a number one record.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying is it's really it's really a smoke screen.
Speaker 3: And so I did see it. That's how I was like, Oh my god, I ain't gonna lie. I ain't see it's gonna be this. So I saw it was gonna be this. Stupid bro, I've seen the movie Idiocracy.
Speaker 1: You have ever seen them?
Speaker 3: Noah, I have nothing. Got to see the movie. I foresaw a lot of it.
Speaker 1: Said let's be good into time more technology we used become stupid.
Speaker 3: Like think about it. I don't really know anybody's phone number back then. I knows you won't remember. I used to know twenty people's phone number. It made me use my brain. The smarter the smartphone got, the dumb I got.
Speaker 1: You can what we got. Don't have a met don't what we all got. You can't name five numbers in your absolutely can't. I can't you can't.
Speaker 3: You probably got one your mama. That's it.
Speaker 1: I got, Yes, that's it. That's it, know Eddie Giggs, because you had the same did you see that dogs man deafite? Definitely, because we depend on this. This is us.
Speaker 3: Just doesn't have a f This is us. I saw to be off subject, but it's on subject. The other day, swear to God, a therapist friend of mine said to me, you know you got when you get on social media, is a certain people you followed? So he said, he said that he had, he had he had clients that would wake up in the morning and they would follow porn stars. And so when they following porn stars, they think it about sex. Then you got clients that they following kickboxes or or or people that's holding pistols and they're thinking about and you don't even realize that you're putting yourself into that in that mode like that ship was. It was ill when he broke that down to me, and I was like, I can't lie. Immediately stopped following certain people. I was just like, yo, program, that's what it's doing. Yeah. It fucked me up. So I woke up this morning, which I didn't use the internet the whole time I was in I was in Italy and past, so I tried not to use it the whole time. In this morning, I woke up and I got trapped right trapped right into that ship. I was like, yo, holy ship.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, your phone is you?
Speaker 3: Yes, so, but we want you to know our show was about giving our legends they flowers, while yeah, you are super legend. We've been trying to get you since the show started. Your flowers to your face.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 3: Your face? Thank you grabbed come of his own people. God damnit, that's what I did.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Do you did you think you know because you have an illustrious career? Yes? Did you think you would would the last for twenty seven years? Back then? No, I didn't think. I'm not.
Speaker 1: I knew that that song that I started out with ultimately was ultimately was a special song to my pony.
Speaker 3: Yes, because it was supposed to be for a securities intro.
Speaker 1: Yeah there you boy, you you bad. You gotta you asked him for her too. I asked him for because back in the days, you remember, I ain't gotta tell you, but interludes was a big thing for Jodysson and even n W uh uh death Row, you know what I mean. So we were doing a lot of intererluds and that's what we were following. We was called the Basement, so you know Snoop, Snoop, Sug and all of them. We had a great connection with Demonte because actually Sugar started managing Jodason for a while and so we.
Speaker 2: Kind of kind of took a little bit from them and all that, and.
Speaker 7: So that was just something that was uh uh you know special for us to do man.
Speaker 3: And and and and just to maintain and do the interlud.
Speaker 1: So once he he was doing something interlude and he was playing, I was like, Yo, that's dope, that's dope.
Speaker 2: And then he played Pony. Now now now just pure pictured.
Speaker 1: This okay without the words, because I always felt like Pony. Anything could have been put the pony and Pony would have been a hit. Right.
Speaker 3: He played that song and he was like, yeah.
Speaker 1: This is gonna be for the this is gonna be for the bodyguards something. So and I'm looking at him like the bodyguard and it just now, I mean I just heard it. I was like, dude, please give me that. Let me ask you, please me that for two years you mean you meant that it was recorded or ready for two years. Y'all heard it is to actually give you the actually right now, y'all heard it in ninety six, We recorded it in ninety three, ninety four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, y'all, y'all, and what was still popping to this day. Yeah, let's make no noise for that. Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 1: So what happened was when when you asked me about did I did I know whether it would be, whether I would be here. I didn't know whether I would be here, but I knew that song was special. So I what I did when I did it and we finished our Rest in Peace static major because he wrote it and I helped write the verses, but he wrote the song, so I don't take no.
Speaker 3: Credit for that. He wrote to the Yeah, he wrote the hook.
Speaker 1: Was already done when I came in there, and I was like, I gotta help you write these verses.
Speaker 3: I gotta have pie. I got to have a piece of that.
Speaker 1: So you know, once that happened, man, I said, once once it was finished, was master and all that, and D was like, that's your single right there, that's your singing.
Speaker 3: I was like, yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: So once he told me that I reverted back to when I saw Michael Jackson on Motown twenty five. I said, you gotta do a step to this that will make people remember this song forever. And so that's what you see in the beginning. I did that in ninety three.
Speaker 3: That was old as a as an artist.
Speaker 1: If we caught a record and it don't drop, most of us give up on that record.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it wasn't it. Yeah? Yeah, What the fuck made you stay consistent? No?
Speaker 1: That was just one of the things where Davante was looking for a deal, and you know, unfortunately we had He had like sixteen artists, sixteen acts, and when I say acts, it could be five people in one group, one people and all that. So, and he was going around and they would always say they wanted me, Missy and Timbling. So he was going to places and they would tell him, no, we want him, we want her, and we want Timbling as whatever. And he was like, if you don't take them all, you can't have nothing. It took me years even.
Speaker 3: To know this because him and his boy fell out.
Speaker 1: I won't say his name because we had some falling out or whatever, but it was his boy from home and he was just like I gotta tell you, bro, like you could have been had a deal and all that, And then I'm looking at him like telling you that. No, no, no, that's.
Speaker 3: So I'm looking at him like you a snake. Why don't you tell me that?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Why would you.
Speaker 1: Tell me that?
Speaker 3: Period?
Speaker 1: That's your boy. If it wasn't for him, again, my loyalty. But if what for him, you wouldn't even be up here? Why are you telling me that? Though?
Speaker 2: So I'm looking at him like you a rather dude. You you you, you you're wrong.
Speaker 3: But he was telling the truth.
Speaker 1: He was telling the truth, and so he looked at it like I guess, man, you're gonna stop these these people's talent and they're gonna look up and it's gonna be gone. Like like you, we only have a small window we have we I mean, if you're lucky, once you have that that crew behind you, if you're lucky, you know you can get on. But once that phase away, like it's kind of just kind of a done deal for you, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So luckily I just stayed with him. I just stayed with him and things worked out.
Speaker 1: Man. Maybe he thought y'all would be strong as a conglomerate going in, yeah, situation, I think he had just had a vision, and sometimes when people have a vision, they don't detour from that vision, and sometimes it's a hindrance for the people that he has behind him and with them, which it was, and so that's why a lot of people and the crew we uh, we understood that, and we had to have to say, I think we did our part in the loyalty category. Now we got to start looking out for ourselves. So Missy was pretty much the first one on the left. Yeah was miss was Missy? Did you ask Missy to write on our pony here? First? No? Never? Never.
Speaker 3: Statue was like this mine.
Speaker 2: Because when I heard it, I knew it was different, right, And I was like, I was like.
Speaker 1: What the hell? But I knew it was special, and so I asked Static. I said, you got to help me write this. Man, I don't even know what to do with this. But Static was really right, and a whole bunch of stuff for the albums that were supposedly come coming out and all that. But you know, I didn't even know where to start. So he was like, I got you, dog, I got you. So he went down in the basement. We had this place called the Base, that's what our crew was name, and so it was like like two floors down.
Speaker 2: It was this place called days GA Line up in Rochester, New York.
Speaker 1: And so it was a big building and we had studios there everywhere and that's where we got down at, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So so because that record rings off to this day still.
Speaker 3: Now. One thing, one thing that that is shocking about it is most people like, you know what, you're doing shows before that record, because because you were doing shows, because most people who write a hit record, who has to hit record, it is catering to the audience. Like, so you were doing shows before that, you knew that this would work at a show?
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely. I was doing shows since I was like ten, get up, Yeah, you know what I mean. So so so so my linea is my time in the music business goes way back, you know what I mean. I've always been an entertainer, like like getting the talent, shows, breakdancing, doing all that. So but once I did that, oh yeah, I was like, yeah, I got it, I got I got When do you work for KFC? I worked for KFC before I went up there. I had i had three I had three jobs. Man. I used to work neighborhood Investment KFC and I used to work at a construction company.
Speaker 3: All the same time.
Speaker 1: Father seeing up and coming artists, Go get yourself a job, Go get.
Speaker 3: Yourself a job. Mother had three jobs paying for the dream.
Speaker 1: That motherfucker out here to sleeping on your girl couch. Yeah, talking about you struggling artists, you want to be struggling. This is real.
Speaker 3: Fact. The other day, like, if you're struggling artists, make sure you go get.
Speaker 1: A job, even when I'm even when I made it with them, when I thought that I made it in ninety I was working at Champs and then me and my brother in New.
Speaker 3: York his name is you ain't have Pony out which nah we're talking to quit that job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah after Pony it was working the RAF. It was a rap.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I still had that foundation.
Speaker 1: No, man. Now, maybe just like you saying, I'm able to tell a lot of the young guys up there now, you know, it's just different now though you can just sit at home and do what you gotta do. You can record your phone. It's different now. But yeah, I mean so I'm able to tell that story and know that it came from the mud.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 1: I didn't get it given to me.
Speaker 3: You know, man, vision about in the nineties, which like these kids have it so good. I remember if I had to if I wanted my record to be played in London, I had to go to London. Oh yeah, I had to go to if I wanted to play we played in Virginia, I had to visit and bring the record. You had to do in stores. Yeah, yes, that's how I met you, right, that's what that's what's up. Yeah, all of them was good.
Speaker 1: Some of them were staking it on you, you know, you know them days they want to get you a hug and you're.
Speaker 3: Like, I wish, I wish COVID was out back. I was COVID was out back then, but COVID niggas. I had to give so many hugs to stinky people, I mean, because sometimes they're waiting outside for you know what I mean. Those It was crazy, man. But you had to do all that.
Speaker 1: You had to do the morning show, you had to do the install, you had to do dinners, you had to do the you had to do the morning show. Promo tour was free. You didn't get paid to do. Man, that's when I still hurt, still hurt. Let me promo to us hurt right now? My third, my third because you know, at the end of the day, you have to do promo tours for all your records. And I think my third record is when I found out that a lot of people don't understand and know that we made bag. Like now that y'all saying that bag and that was us. Wow.
Speaker 3: Let me let me give you the history. Let me give you the history for this. Back in the day, you're gonna relate.
Speaker 1: Back in the days, a lot of artists didn't care nothing about, you know, the money part of it.
Speaker 2: We just wanted girls. We just want to drinks and we want to go the party, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want them money though. Yeah, well you prob.
Speaker 1: A lot of us, Yeah, playing around and so and so my boys Jerry Vines and Cliff Jones back in d C. You know that basically came from you remember, back in the days, we had what's some things called when when you're on the label, uh and and you go to the city and you meet.
Speaker 3: The streets, the street street reps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they were saying, yeah, it's street wraps or whatever, MIXTU meeting now the street reps.
Speaker 3: But it was another name though, but because because there's two different people, it's the people that ride you around in the event. That's about it.
Speaker 1: It was the name for it, what street reps whatever. Yeah, So so they used to trick us. I don't know about you, but they used to trick us and say, yo, man, we we got this club here.
Speaker 3: Come come on, come on, come on on. So once I got to, once I.
Speaker 1: Got to yeah, but they would give you no money, right right, And so the whole time, a lot of those street reps or whatever they was called, they were getting money for it. And so once and so, so, once I got a little more seasoned, I was like, man, look they're gonna they're gonna have to.
Speaker 3: Pay me today. He's like, man, come on, man, you gotta you gotta do this for the record, for the record.
Speaker 1: And so I actually caught somebody, I won't say the name, actually caught somebody. And you know, when when you go to the bank, they give you like a bag, like a bag to put your money in. So I was like, we was like, you got that damn bad give me that.
Speaker 3: Damn bag.
Speaker 1: Where that came from so I actually had I still got a production company name Bag Entertainment. If you go to my fourth CD, uh Snoop introduced my fourth CD, The Senior, and he say, Bag Entertainment presents.
Speaker 3: Gen y'all, y'all, Old Jen wants yo from us. That's oh, bro, that's oh, that's d C stuff. Okay, that what God a game that we play on the show. Okay, playing them. I've said a couple of other games. I don't know this one. We're gonna give you two choices.
Speaker 1: You pick one, okay, let me if you if you if you say both, the neither, we drinking, all of us a drink when we with you. We're giving you two choices. If you pick one of the two, we go move on to the next question. I would drink anyway.
Speaker 3: But if you say both, like you can't make up your mind, then we all drink. We don't leave you out there. We're taking a shot with you. Okay. By the way, me and him don't make up these questions. No, these guys motherfuckers over there. It's all mindicans and producers, So blame blame these questions on the Okay, cool. By the way, this first one is classic? Is this pep cot Okay?
Speaker 2: Can I get another one place?
Speaker 3: Sep?
Speaker 1: Oh? You did? Okay because it was you know the differ between yes, Sweeter, I can put you applying fold.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, you'll be like do it. That's an eighties baby.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah. Are you ready for the first one? Yep, tank you I was, I knew was going like that one. This one I don't know Snoop Dog with Jay Z Snoop Chris Brown Usher bo I got to take a shot. That was a good one though. That was a good Oh yeah, that is Trey Songs or Jeremiah Trey, next one Jodasy or one twelve, that's gotta be I was.
Speaker 1: Taking I was taking the shot even get it out Jodason.
Speaker 3: Yeah we need Joas on him. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, you want to get the next one podcast or radio radio shy or Silk Silk so so he can next act next to say had come on Nasa Jadakiss nas Rihanna Beyonce. Oh take a shot, Oh yeah, take it su Witness. I might wanted to take a shot to want to go against those.
Speaker 1: Sisters old No, come on Whitney Houston or Amy wine House Hereston.
Speaker 3: Yeah that was Missy or Eve missing keep sweating, Johnny Gil.
Speaker 1: Johnny Gil, No, take a shot?
Speaker 3: Sorry, how would I say to cocause because he's from DC.
Speaker 1: But Keith, that's my brother, So I got take a shot with that one.
Speaker 3: Boys to Men or Drew.
Speaker 1: Hill, Boys in Vogue or Destiny's Child in Vote Each Town or Jagged Edge.
Speaker 3: Take a shot the next one. You're making his drink. Take a shot. Take a shot for real? Hold on, take a shot first, right, Okay, that was for the last shot for Row or Kanye Kanye fab or push your tee. Mm, I'm gonna drink. Let's drink. You got your cheer? Oh this is my mom.
Speaker 1: One is a little extra man, Riah Carrie or Janet Jackson, Janet Buster or eminem Buster. Okay ou tang or n W A.
Speaker 3: N w A Wow house party or Friday uh Friday Yeah yeah that way too, Go ahead, sauce or double x L.
Speaker 1: Let me drink that.
Speaker 3: Really I want to say double XL, but so too. Okay, sours your original Hm, Tina Turtler or Vetha Franklin, Drink drink, drink, drink drink that damn man, that's hard that was a long ass.
Speaker 1: Was long?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I left, came back and still don't oh got it?
Speaker 1: Ye oh you lost? Yeah because you're used for twice or yeah you already said to around. Okay, but you're skipping, skipping though.
Speaker 3: You go back to it. Yeah, okay, Monica or brandy drink drink drink. Yeah, I won't have it. I don't have it right now.
Speaker 1: No, that's that's that's just get the time. Yeah, I do this, man, that's that's nothing. Okay, where you at? Okay, let me get the drink first.
Speaker 3: Let's let's let's let's not move some fastest wee drink. Yeah, this is just a little bit. Oh man, excuse me a heartburn today? Digital or analog? Analog, me too, Tory Lanes for the weekend, toy thriller or off the wall. You said, thriller, thriller, off the thriller. Yeah, yeah, yeah, thriller drake or pop Daddy.
Speaker 1: Drink drinking Timberland or Swiss Beak sprint Timberland, Timberland like that that.
Speaker 3: Marvin Gate or Smokey Robinson, gad Our Green or Teddy pinograd Our Green. Michael Jackson, Michael Jackson old Prince Jackson. Okay, you heard you got Michael Jackson. Yeah, we we we are, we are. That's why I'm trying to hear this. So I'm kind of get and I got a node question for you. Oh yeah, Bobby Brown or I'll be sure, Bobby Brown. Oldest wedding in Sam Cook, Sam Cook. It's been bomb but I do all these your keys drink Drake, Stevie Wonder or Luthery Blue the vandos Me and Stevie Wonder. You think Stevie could see Yeah, I think I think somebody. Yeah, yeah, I'm sorry. You can hear too many stories. We have to see for ourselves.
Speaker 1: We had we had the Osley brothers say that they saw him crossing the street. I said, wait a minute, I bet you he's having a lot of fun because he seems like I need the humor.
Speaker 3: I believe something listen across the street.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm twenty twenty visits. You know you could be legally have a heart to see. You still can see the shapes and every and that. Shaq said that he saw him pressed up. He said he saw him pressing the button and elevator which just him and him want to take brother said he crossed the street. The brother said, he crosses cross the street.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's not a droke like note, and Shaq said that he was he one time lived in the same building. He was already in the elevator. Was like, what's up, Jack? So I don't know, I'm listening to TV.
Speaker 3: I'm with you.
Speaker 1: Hey, look the senses up. Yeah, sure this is.
Speaker 3: New addition or Jackson five.
Speaker 1: Oh I was.
Speaker 3: Jackson five. Okay, t l C or s w V ah, thank you, we both do the last one. Loyalty or respect? Loyalty You gonna explain what loyalty?
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't know, man.
Speaker 3: It's it's like the respect thing.
Speaker 1: People can respect you for different different read they're scared, their view and all that. But I think the loyalty thing that that comes from within. It just comes from time and just you spending time with somebody and just not wanting to see that person hurt and just you're gonna ride or die for that person. So loyalty for me, it's it's everything, you know what I mean? But yeah, respect, respect is good to think. If you lawyer, respect comes with respect comes with yeah, because if you let's take. Yeah, that was perfect answer, like that, No, I have to action at one point, now I was like the Prince of the hood. He couldn't do no wrong, Prince.
Speaker 3: Prince or king. Let's give him the king showing that proper respect. Then there was one record they was like, he's sold out, Prince. You're talking about no nor you said, prince, that's what you did about Prince the hood. Okay, he was a king. This record comes out and this is the time, you know, this is the time off Daddy is killing him. So so this is my man, this is my man. I remember at that time he was like, man, my man sold out, not me, I ain't. I'm saying that. People were saying right, right, right right because of it was And one of those records was you, well, well yeah, but in the beginning, I remember Stanning seeing so much slack that he was receiving. Was that something that you and Simolin received as well, or we didn't receive, Not.
Speaker 1: That it was a smash, but I'm pretty sure, like yeah, because because of how he grew up and where it was and wrapping all that kind of stuff. But yeah, it worked out for us, and I think it was more of a commercial success for him and just put him on a different plateau. I always felt like, if you want to change anything and anyone like gets get on that plateau and then allow them to see your reality, you know what I mean, then you can change you can change them. So all the selling out stuff, nah man, like like the dude, the dude, that's nas man.
Speaker 3: You can't ever ever say that dude. Yeah, of course, of course.
Speaker 1: But I just always wondered it was a commercial SI sess for us and and and all of us, so you know, just like, well, but back then, I can't lie even me, like what are you doing?
Speaker 3: He was my friend. It was only the fellas the lady, what's going on? Why you doing? Why you got on another shirt? Why are you selling?
Speaker 1: Because that was doing the eraror where you know, you know, puffles.
Speaker 3: Out and he was doing his thing.
Speaker 2: But he was smart about it, you know, he was still like, you've been not stepped to me, you know what the deal is?
Speaker 3: Now it seems like a genius move.
Speaker 1: Back then, yes, yes, but but guess what, that's what makes those icons, those icons they can foresee the funture.
Speaker 3: You got to look at matter. P uh, dame, puff you know all those guys.
Speaker 1: That's why they are who they are because they already saw the business business part of it. We're looking at oh the this that nah, they they're they're looking twenty years ahead, fifteen twenty twenty years ahead. You know.
Speaker 3: That's another thing. It's like R and B can make it any kind of music, the most beautiful music. And we looked at and but you dudes is real dudes on the streets. Like one thing I learned your R and B, Like like, okay, obviously I came out with Baptists and the one thing I've seen I remember having a show with you. I'm sure you don't remember, okay, but you had the handies just flying on stage. Yes, And I was just like, how the fuck do I compeep with that? Like what the fuck? It blunts through I gotta DJ. People don't read at me. This motherfucker had bros handies And I was like what I can't get on after that? But that it was like like I remember you and l L was like very hard, like very hard, like l L would he would change because remember we were thinking one Mike, you know, a DJ, and I remember l L having a show and him giving out flowers and I'm having a show with you, and I was just like, this was I did not start researching research to you as we get closer to you, saying you're going to do this interview and research to you.
Speaker 1: And I realized that that was at every one of your shows.
Speaker 3: I thought it was just at the show that I did with you that was that.
Speaker 1: You thought that was the panty shows, And then I was And then I realized, so was that like something you you strategically said that. No, it was multiple encounters.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 1: I never really strategically playing anything like that. But I always remember, you know, my mom back back in the days of saying that, you know, the ladies throw hannies for Yeah, yeah, that's going on. So you know, I never I never really planned that, but I welcomed it. Of course, I say no going back. So I mean, it was it was, it was, it was, it was a situation. I was just happy that it was happening to me, you know what I mean. So, yeah, because of your heroes in the.
Speaker 2: Past, Yeah absolutely, l yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's the man.
Speaker 7: That's the man.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: He transcended it like he was, you know, a street with it. Yeah, yeah, that was a good dude. Shout out there. L So, is there anybody that you wanted to work with and you didn't get a chance to work with? I really, really, what's the camera?
Speaker 1: The camera help? I really want to work with Mary J.
Speaker 3: Block That is so dope. I really want to work with Marria Ja so you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I actually and also Mariah Carrey. Okay, I maybe she was the first Nick Cannon. Anyway, we're gonna get.
Speaker 3: You sitting around. Everybody been here. I know, I know how you feel. Come on, I'm a look at the camera.
Speaker 1: Mariah. I want to do Fire and Desire with you. Rick Jays and Tina Marie.
Speaker 3: I want to do that with you. And I just want to do anything with Mary J. Blige anything after that.
Speaker 1: Know, the two people that I've always wanted to do something with they're no longer here. That's Michael Jackson and Prince, but I was able to pay homage to them while they were here. The first CD that I did is genuine a bachelor I did when Dove's Crime. The second I did one hundred percent genuine and Di she's out of my life. I wanted to just to pay homage to them while they were here, you know what I mean, just like you did with the flowers and all that. That's that's that's that's a great thing, you know what I mean. And so because they a lot of artists don't understand how how how much we inspire people on a daily basis. There's somebody right now in their garage, Joe whatever, on their laptop. Now I'm saying garage and I'm thinking back in the days, but they on their laptop. They want to be the next Pharaal. They want to be the next Timberland. They want to be the next Kanye, they want to be the next whatever. And so those are the two guys that really truly inspired me, Like Prince and Michael inspired me to set out on this conquest and just to go all out and say this is what I'm going to do. There is no second plan, you know what I mean. So I didn't have no second plan. I was like, no, I'm doing this, this, this, this is it. They've got to meet Prince. Got to meet Prince one time. They heard the covers, both of them. Michael, I didn't I've never.
Speaker 3: Met I wanted to. That's that that was like when you say which one or whatever.
Speaker 1: Michael is always first to me, you know what I mean after Motown twenty five. You know that bove that goes off in your head or it turns off, turns on on, you know, in your head, to let you know this is what you're supposed to do. That's what happened at night. I was a kid like Prince, Yeah you met him? Did he floating?
Speaker 3: He floated in like he never like he never walked. I feel like he had a hubble board back then.
Speaker 1: I was actually in what is it minutes in Minnesota, whys at Minnesota, Mintonka.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so at his club.
Speaker 1: Well, I was at a club and they said he was coming in to do a set, and so I just finished the show there.
Speaker 3: So I came in there and I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 1: You know, we all turned into fans when it comes to back back in the days, we all turned into fans when they come to Michael Jackson and Prince and Janet Jackson. So, uh, what happened was I walked in and I was in there, and I was like, yo, so when is he coming.
Speaker 3: It's like two o'clock in the morning. So he came.
Speaker 1: They was like here, here, here, and I was like, oh man, I'm scared sweating to.
Speaker 3: See purple shade everything. I saw everything from the story. So he came up right, and so listen, this.
Speaker 1: Is this is real, like like like I'm not playing. I'm not playing like I was up It was on the second second floor, and I think like he had he had trap doors or something in the club or something like I think he was doing.
Speaker 3: He did this just to say, just just for people.
Speaker 2: Like myself and artists to say, this guy is different.
Speaker 1: God, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: So I'm walking and so he just I swear the guy he's just up up here. He just like, I'm serious, he just up here.
Speaker 1: And I turned around here and you know the deep voice And did I remember somebody said.
Speaker 3: Did you just say Prince had a deep voice? Yeah, he got to get back to that.
Speaker 9: Hold on.
Speaker 2: So I remember somebody forgot who said something.
Speaker 3: He said, don't look in his eyes, right, don't look at his eyes, don't looking at his.
Speaker 1: Right, saying that's weird. Was like, this is different. So so he says, I don't remember what he said. I'm not gonna lie here. He said baby yo or gee or something, and I turned around and I see I see him, and I immediately say, you did not make Oh my god, I'm doing it. Oh my god, it's so great to meet you to right.
Speaker 3: Oh man, thank you man. Listen, you know I wanted to be hobbing to you. I'm doing this.
Speaker 1: He's looking at me like you I'm like this, Yo, I'm not looking at you. So because I'm still a fan, you care, you know, so uh And he told me he was like, I don't usually let I don't usually like people to do my and I was like, I was hurt.
Speaker 3: My heart dropped. And then he said, but you did a good job. I was like, that was here's the magic, here's the magic. So my people was.
Speaker 10: There and I was like, yo, he because he was like like I was, so I was talking to him right, so, thank you dog or that and I was like, yo, did you hear that more?
Speaker 3: I turned back around. That's gone, it's gone, disappeared just like he did. He didn't stay around. He did like that was that's my friend's story. And that's the true story.
Speaker 11: Bro.
Speaker 3: God. Everybody whoever we asked, who ever met prince, they always say got like they got a crazy story. I've never met Prince and I've never met him. Wow, I've never met Tupac neither. Wow, I did you met? Was it when you said you guys were dealing with de Bro that time?
Speaker 1: Yeah? The first time I met Tupac. He came in the studio and we were in uh uh I know, you know, Mannhattan Center Center. Okay right, okay, yeah, so uh Davante. Uh we were in a studio with Davante. It was me static and everything, and Madonna was in there.
Speaker 3: Donald was in there. He was messing with madonnad's I guess, yeah there was Yeah, I get in.
Speaker 1: A business, yody, but yeah, but but yeah, he came.
Speaker 3: He came in. She didn't go back. It's true. Once she went black, she did not go to that.
Speaker 1: He came in like YEO, what's up and all that.
Speaker 3: So that was like one of my first times.
Speaker 1: And then my boy that wrote a Pony, he was a big, huge fan of two five.
Speaker 3: He walked in there and he was his eyes was like he was gazed at him. I was like, wow, dude, like so yeah he was. He was like, what's up, little man? I was like, yeah, you don't even know only you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He was always a cool dude though. Man, always a cool dude.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: It was a couple of times that I met him because we were always connected with death Row Bro. I was like, I was like one of the I was the first artists with Danny Boy on his first single, That's Me on the hook of Danny Boy's first single. So and Danny Boy was the first artist off of Death Row and so that's how all of.
Speaker 3: Us really like connected, you know what I mean. Is it true that she was a big eiast party the night?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah I heard the shots, dude, Yeah, yeah, yeah, it was was we were and a lot of people having that story. Now all the other specification and stuff I don't know about, but it wasn't because it was you know, somebody fighting or that.
Speaker 3: It was like a fire has it and so there.
Speaker 1: Was too many people evacuated the evacuated the party, and so you know, it was so hard getting on your cars for some for some reason.
Speaker 2: And so if you look on the internet, they'll they'll show you.
Speaker 1: They'll they'll show they say the name this person was there, and they'll show us dancing and all that kind of stuff. And yeah, yeah, we actually heard heard the shots, but we didn't think it's la, this is this is what, this is what happens. And so we went back to this hotel called the Nico, but we used to call the Negro.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely, and.
Speaker 1: So we was over there and that's when we found out what happened and who it was and all that.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, it was ill.
Speaker 1: It was a crazy night, man, But the night before that, it was just man, it was just fun. It was very, very much fun. Yeah, but we were there, me Missy Timberland, Aliyah, there's a lot of Yeah, I believe, ah, I believe, I know miss she was there. It was me, Missy because we came together, me, Missy tim I believe Timberlin was there.
Speaker 3: But yeah, we came together. And you said you heard it.
Speaker 1: We heard it.
Speaker 3: We heard it.
Speaker 1: We heard it, yeah, because we stayed until that happened, like we were evacuated. Everybody was like.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, leave da da it's too much and all that, and we heard it, but we never.
Speaker 1: Thought about it. We never because we was on the other side. We were on the side that they were pulling up the cars or something, and so we actually heard it.
Speaker 3: We actually heard it. And then how did that feel?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: Although, like you know, I kind of engaged with the East Coast to West Coast a little bit on the record, but I never got the experience none of that. Yeah, how did you feel like knowing that? Because I never until Biggie and Tupac, like we didn't think that Beef would have got that false real like it was a battle wrap. It wasn't really about like testing a person's code, so testing a person, city texting a person, period. It was just battle rap. It's just like, yo, I think I'm better than you, something to say I'm better than you. Right, But this was the first time that it turned How did that feel for you? Not only knowing what's going on, but you knew Biggie too, right, Yeah, yeah, you knew Biggie you got to meet Tupac. Yeah, So how did that feel for you? Personally? Like you like like damn like on both sides and knowing where it went. I'm just gonna be a hundred with you man. Like after after.
Speaker 1: Tupac, we always was like as far as us as artists, I mean, I'm a I'm a I'm a singer, I'm an RVRS. I ain't in that, But I was.
Speaker 3: Always like why are they out there?
Speaker 1: Why? Yeah, I was like, why are they out there? But you know, it was what it was. You know, wars was given and everything was just partying and all that. But it made us, not only me, just everybody that were that that was involved. As far as on an entertainment level, it just made us realize like, look, this is real now, you know, so we gotta really you know, we actually thought after pop like we thought it was subside a little bit and all that, but after that we really were like, yo, I didn't go out to LA.
Speaker 3: For a long time and you lived out there. Well I had.
Speaker 1: I had a place out there later later on, but nah, no, I frequented a lot, but I didn't have no place out there.
Speaker 3: I remember me going out there, and after that happened, there was still like four years later out there, ninety eight. I think apprehensible, right, You're like, no, no, no, I remember a record label was physically not let me land without security, right, they would have as soon as I landed they were because I don't know if they had the serance policy on me. I don't. I don't know at that time, right, you know, they probably did.
Speaker 1: It was crazy, so it was crazy they would not let me travel without that without that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, same, just how was it?
Speaker 1: I was it here again?
Speaker 3: We're R and B artist.
Speaker 1: It totally saying like that, But we we we always had our intentnas up because we didn't know at that point what it was. It was like, I don't give if you a RB areist said ROB and B rap or whatever, we're.
Speaker 3: Gonna get you.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean. But for you know, it was one of those situations where we just had to, you know, just keep our eyes open.
Speaker 3: You know, we always stay alert and.
Speaker 1: Make sure that we're on our square and not slipping.
Speaker 3: Right now, they're saying, like rappers, if you're a rapper, that's one of the most dangerous jobs in America. Absolutely. Do you feel like do you feel like that statement should be famous people? Is being the most dangerous job in the mirror because because if a person will try to get me, I think that same person will try to get you. Is that fear or they're gonna say, man, genuine NA girl back in the day?
Speaker 2: Nah, But I don't think it's the same thing.
Speaker 1: I think, you know, the distinction between rap and R and B is the distinction, Like it's totally separates crowd. Yeah it's not the same, but you still got to keep your head on swivel. You can't think it's sweet, you know what I mean, because you don't know what you've done. Just like you just now said that that's real, Like like that stuff happens somebody. You don't know what's going on. Social media made it work and people think they know you even more I do say it. Then it could be a woman that you never even knew. She just follows you for your whole life, and her man is sitting there thinking, oh, this is you know what I mean, You probably never even met up, but that's with you.
Speaker 3: He sees that, he sees you somewhere lacking.
Speaker 1: And you know, I don't understand when guys do that, Like like at the end of the day, if that's something that's just happening between your woman and yourself, why you met at the guy like don't don't like for what like check that, check that, don't don't mess with it. I don't know you, you know what I mean, You ain't my friend, So I don't know why guys do that, But a lot of guys do that.
Speaker 3: That's that's happened to someone confront you and say, man, I heard that make skip was like that had to happen, like.
Speaker 1: There had to be a dude that blame you want you want, but you ain't gonna give mysel close to me. You say you wan.
Speaker 3: Not in person. That's never happened.
Speaker 1: Okay, talking about it, of course that that has happened. But again, I don't know you, dude. It's not my friend.
Speaker 3: I don't know you. Like shake, I ain't hearing that. I mean whatever, I got guys to go do what I need.
Speaker 1: Them to do. Oh my god, Okay, what happened. That's that's that's that's that's hating you right now. You ain't gonna say sorry.
Speaker 3: G you want angry boyfriend.
Speaker 10: I don't even know how.
Speaker 3: Jamie. Can we got some time? Yeah, we need to get some times right, say it too? Yeah, that definitely has happened, bro. Yeah, but that's your job is to make music and make.
Speaker 1: You ain't hit me. You didn't get me, you didn't give me, you didn't give me, because that's that's your job, is to make people have babies through your music.
Speaker 3: You don't know how many people, but it's true babies.
Speaker 1: You're responsible besides your own you know what I'm saying, because of the music you make. You making the music right to get people in and hopefully I mean, that's what R and B always was. It was like yo, always have been, always will be. You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: This is what we do.
Speaker 1: We try to We try to make the music that allows you to feel where you are and just you know, make love and all that.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, because that's what R and B is. Man, We're not trying to tell you to go shoot.
Speaker 1: Nobody know. We got this, money, we got this, we got that. But you know, at the end of the.
Speaker 3: Day, man, it's all about love. It's all about respect. Thank you, David appreciation, you know what I mean. Like my foul music, I used to make people just come up to me and say, man, I'm went to jail and your ship.
Speaker 1: I was like damn, Like damn, why like people come up to you and say people got to come up to you and be like Joe j you want three of my kids because of you. I didn't get a lot of respect from the Brothers until I did same O G, Same G.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you gonna stop hating.
Speaker 12: After After that, the Brothers was like you girls, He's like, yeah, you got a girl, but you are right.
Speaker 1: I said, I'll take whatever.
Speaker 3: It's all good, it's all good.
Speaker 1: But yeah, man, I didn't get too much love until, you know, especially from the brothers, until after same o G you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So you're telling me you had shows in the beginning, the shows this ninety percent females.
Speaker 7: Ninety five Yeah, I was saving more than that ninety five yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That's a good thing though, I mean yeah, because there's no violence, absolutely no nothing, love nothing but love nothing nothing. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, ninety five percent man, like back in the days. Yeah, man, because it was you know, a lot of the promoters that we were dealing with, they knew how to, you know, piece it together. That's why when you said earlier that he was on to show me, I have been on those shows. I was on the shows with Lil Wayne, right, yeah, Cash, when I was like, what the hell.
Speaker 3: Do y'all got me on the show? This vice versa.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so that absolutely happens, man. So that's why when you said that, I can relate. I understood that, man. But that's my lovers and friends. It's a good concert because great, it's like six different stages.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, everyone's crowd is going to go to they're a different stage. Yes, I believe I had dip set on, which made sense on on the stage that I performed and who else was on my stage? Who was there? Who else was on my stage? Hinky? Like it was like they had like you know, my my this thing is we like like my kind of era hip hop when you hit the stage, what's that R and B stage.
Speaker 2: I really don't.
Speaker 1: I don't really, I don't really no, I really don't remember. I think it probably was though. I think they had it set up for I think Chinky was on my stage.
Speaker 3: That's my stage, well on my stage, unless winning around it was traveling over. I mean I think that.
Speaker 1: I think the time thing I think they tried to do also as far as like like the years nineties, eighties, uh like the areas that eras.
Speaker 3: That's what I believe. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think that's probably what I didn't actually know. That was then Usher's concept. You didn't know that, yeah, because even on the Flyers gotsher biggest hell on the top and that's the song something you own, tell you something. They were so professional. I was like I was like, wait a minute, I got a big usher up.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that was.
Speaker 3: They knew were to get the cards from this point, like you can tell that it was an artist running the show. I didn't see. I tried to get I saw everybody but Okay and loud Kim. I didn't get to see the little kimp from h we were on the same stage. You want to say that even if you could tell that was afterwards, I knew. I noticed that artists want to take care of another artist. We don't really we don't really want to.
Speaker 1: Be put in that position where we can't can't take take care of each other.
Speaker 3: So I'm guessing he knows the needs. He knows, Yeah, he knows what it is. It's there ever been a time you went to a show and was like, man, this ship is not to put together. Let me get the fuck out of here, or you just yeah, I walked out of some ship before after I performed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ok, yeah, yeah, because like like, if you pay me, you already, Yeah, I'm gonna do what I'm supposed to do.
Speaker 3: You know, even if it's unorganized, you don't real to give a fucking just I'm gonna you got my money.
Speaker 1: I gotta do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't stay.
Speaker 1: I don't stay now, especially with tours and everything that I'm on, I usually never stay. I go do what I'm supposed to do because pretty much we tour with each other a lot throughout the summers and all that kind of stuff. So I've seen pretty much everybody's show, So I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't really stay a lot. I go do what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you what's on your writer?
Speaker 1: That's a specific I actually came up with a show called Rituals and Riders, and I was trying to come up with, you know, saying, you know what outlandish things that some of us artists come up with to have on our rider. So and there's there's really Now I'm sorry that that part of it is that you're not going to be entertained, but.
Speaker 3: That all water juices.
Speaker 1: Just a yellow I know, I know you're talking abouts and snapples on his job. You don't.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't do that.
Speaker 3: You don't have a crazy rider. I went to seafood a little bit. That's about his crab legs. That's about it's a little crazy, a little crazy. It's a little crazy. Look the room smelled different. You got to receive the panties after that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, about to I went to Japan after l The promoters loved me so much after because he must have had the worst wader everybody. God, you had to get green apples, Oh damn in Japan.
Speaker 3: I guess that's exclusive.
Speaker 1: So I guess like red apples is standard in the world and green apples it's not something like that.
Speaker 3: That might be backwards. But he had I'm doing some crazy ship and I had Cigars Hennessy at the towns a Hennessy drinker that's cigars Hennessy and water. Yeah, and maybe a Gatorade. Gatorade at one point.
Speaker 11: That was it.
Speaker 3: I stepped when I went out to l So you're telling me you don't got no crazy sit on your work crab. Okay, okay, okay, that's that DC ship. Yeah, kid brought them all maryland Lord them crabs.
Speaker 6: How has it been seeing your your audience from the early nineties grow up with you?
Speaker 1: You know what? Throughout my my tenure in this business, man, it's always been a blessing for me to just see the people grow with me. And I've always said I'm not going to be the artist now that's trying to do the things that the young cats is doing right now, because I think that's corny.
Speaker 3: How I would never do that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So I think the people that's been with me throughout my time in this business, of course, they're still here, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: My my my h age thing is like twenty five and whatever.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm at thirty on. So I don't, I don't, I don't. I don't really buy into, you know, just doing what everyone else is doing. I think that, you know, as an artist, you got to continue to build with the people that's been following you for the year. Yeah, your foundation is there, so cater to them, don't try to. They got who they have, they got what they want, they got who they like. Don't try to be that, you know, continue to move on your your your legacy and keep moving in your time and people will support you. You just got to do the things that they they they feel as interesting and you know, and and and and doing the things that you've been doing. But at that point, like when the people constantly you know, support you, they have to realize that at the end of the day, you should not change. They shouldn't change, they should go. They're going to be there.
Speaker 2: And hopefully they'll they'll just still support you.
Speaker 3: How is it having a cult? That's what it seems like. No cold coke, hope I did, I wish I did, I wish I did. Loyal folk, a loyal following. Some people might take it as a colt. We just said earlier, yeah about the followers, and what did you say? Sometimes it's a color religion is what I know? That you have followers when you when you're out twenty five years, most people say in five years they tired of this artist all ship two years? Right now six months? You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Right now?
Speaker 3: Six months? This is supposed to be music music. For you to have such an illustrious and you know career that lasted that long, it has to be like see it like you go, you're going back to Minnesota. You probably see that same dude that was there ten years ago, and that shit is dope.
Speaker 1: Seeing that same fans and they're growing, they having kids now, like that shit has got to be amazing feeling.
Speaker 3: How does it.
Speaker 1: Totally feels great to have have the following that you have, man? And just when you say the cult thing and all that. That's that's great, man, that's great because it's a testament to you know, what you've done throughout your career and the feelings and the people that you've touched, and so that's that's vital. That's important in order for you, for you to have longeviy. So so as long as you do that, I always tell these young cats like, try to do time this music. Don't don't don't do flavor of the month, do timeless music, because I've seen them coming, I've seen them go.
Speaker 3: I've seen them coming and I've seen them go, and I'm like, wow, this is credibly when you've seen them arab they were cocky, they were very.
Speaker 1: You the old there like okay, all right because I was told that too, like early on, and that's what you know. Gauge gauged me in and I was just like, okay, just always just be you also, but also remain the humble person that you are, because it can be here today and gone tomorrow. One of the one of the craziest things that happened to me was when I went up to Sony and I asked them, I was like, release me.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, you know how it is when.
Speaker 1: A new whole team comes in, takes takes over a label and they're not even talking about you. They don't even have any sign you. They didn't sign you, so they don't have no to.
Speaker 3: So I'm looking, I'm just like, God, wait, man, this happens like every five years and then.
Speaker 1: And so I went up there, and I went up there and I was like, you know what, y'all not messing with me. Yeah, I didn't use those words.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, So let me go.
Speaker 1: Let me do what I do. Y'all ain't you know?
Speaker 3: I don't mens me. And when that happened.
Speaker 1: The first time that I felt it was when we did a show and some of those artists from that label on the show, and the people that I.
Speaker 3: Knew that were the reps or whatever. They was like, man, we can't work with you.
Speaker 1: Man, you can't because the label said this and the label said that, and you truly, as an artist feel naked. You don't because we came up in the era where everything was taken care of it for us.
Speaker 3: And so like when that happened, I was like, it's real, It's real.
Speaker 1: So there's never been another time there's never been a time.
Speaker 3: Where you feel so naked in the business.
Speaker 1: And I was just looking at Unsung I think it was, and Money said the same things. He was like, once you do that, like you, Yeah, you don't know where to go, you don't know who to talk to, You don't know. It feels like you just got shut out your house, you know. So one of the questions you forgot to ask some quick time with Slive is major all independent?
Speaker 3: What do you prefer? Wow?
Speaker 2: I still I still prefer the major, but not the three sixty.
Speaker 3: That comes with the major.
Speaker 1: Like and that's just because the time that I was I was in the business. The independent thing is a great thing, but you have to be a special individual to be independent because you got to be willing to put in that work and your own money. You put up your own money and risk it. And you know, for me, I came up during the time where everything was taking care of for you. And you know, now, I'm not trying to start over like that. I'm just blessed to be in a position that I'm in to continue to do the things that I'm doing, shows, TV and all that kind of stuff because of the history that I've created. So and you have a gold independent album, right, I have a yeah, gold independent album. Yeah yeah, yeah, yes, it was a man's thoughts. Yeah, that's the last chance you Yeah, yeah, that's that's.
Speaker 3: Most people celebrate an independent album at fifty thousand to one hundred thousand, break that because most of even less. I mean, you sold thirty independent. That's true, it's a lot of money. But what I'm saying is if you if you was a platinum artist before and you went major, it's like that was the numbers from fifty thousand to one hundred thousand. You know, obviously anything more as a plus, but the fact that you had a chance to do that, what gold for one hundred thousand that you that's really saying.
Speaker 2: I don't know right right there, because I was with we got the same name because we fell out.
Speaker 1: I don't even know. I don't want to say the name, but we did. We did a goot good job. So you know, for me to continue on after that was a big situation for me. But I realized, like, once you get to a search certain point and you've made your statement and you've done a lot in the business, you're pretty much on cruise control. If you know, what you're doing. And I've been on cruise control for fifteen years now, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Ten fifteen years.
Speaker 1: So when people ask me, are you coming out with anything, I'll be like, yeah, but I'm gonna do it when I need to do it or I feel it. You know, I'm not gonna do it just because you know you're saying I should do it. And a lot of my friends and people that around me don't understand that. But it's not for you to understand. You gotta feel it, you know. I remember back in the days where we used to go in the studio.
Speaker 3: We would lock it out for two months. We won't do that no more. They don't do that no more.
Speaker 1: It's probably spending two hundred thousand doing that. Yeah about that with the Fool budget is different remember the Reils. Yes, yes, it's carry a little doff around.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying, Like, we just different back then. There's a lot of money back then.
Speaker 1: To be wasted. Back then, we.
Speaker 3: Couldn't punch department was taking extra money. The good part about that analog is we learned not to punch in Like, yeah, but these kids make your work. Yeah, I can hear when you punched in like, you have to be good. You have to be always say good. I always say analogue was ill and you picked that I said earlier. Yeah, because me and FN have this debate and I think we were pretty much on the same side. Is that because back in the days, if you wanted to do a record with me or I want to do a record with you, I would have to go to d C or you would have to come to New York. We have to sit in both filled out the vibe, you know what I'm saying, And depending on.
Speaker 1: How we vibe, that's depending on how great the record would come out.
Speaker 3: Do you think that's something that's missing out here?
Speaker 1: Absolutely in you saying that I was one of we were one of the artists during that era that had that that that had that ability to do that. NAS and me when we did that, he was in LA I was yeah, I mean he was in New York. I was in LA. Oh. Yeah, I didn't do that. We never even had met until the video shoot Get the Funk out of Here, Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: We we wasn't in the same and it was physically sending the reels in the mail and that was that was the.
Speaker 1: First time, not first time, I'm pretty sure, but that was that era when people didn't have to be what he think, and of course actually crossing into digital at that time, yeah, into it, so so yeah. I mean I heard him, he was in the studio. I didn't see him what he but I heard he was like, what was up? All you guys were live? Yeah, like for real, talked about even him doing stuff like that.
Speaker 3: So so so we did you know? I was in l A and he and he was in New York.
Speaker 1: You gotta shot shots, right, Let's go. God, damn, let's go, Horner.
Speaker 3: This is sucking me up. So what is your favorite part? Is it making the music or performing the music? Performing? I could I could tell your answer already get pennies throwing him. I'm gonna be honest with you, go said, when you on that stage, I see I see you having so much.
Speaker 1: That's fun, but not only that. Yes, I see that that's your dope man. That's where I'm comfortable at.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I see that.
Speaker 1: That's your dope man. That's where I'm totally comfortable. I was telling my brother everybody, sister over there, Gussie, we were talking in in the I can't I can't let y'all know what I'm doing. But she they know that I'm I'm actually a little like reserved.
Speaker 3: I don't like to use shy. Yeah, I'm a little reserved. And I never like to come out of my comfort zone. You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So stage is your stage is my comfort zone.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. So I can be silly, hen be dumb, I can be serious. All all things is doable on.
Speaker 1: The stage, you know what I'm saying. But I hate the studio. I can't stand the studio. Bro tires like that too. My boy, he's like that too, living there. But I can't stand the quicker. I can't get out quick enough. Who's somebody who make you feel comfortable in the studio, something that makes you feel no one's ever in the studio. When I'm in the studio, it's only me and the engineer. Wow, not even the producer. I put tim out. I put everybody is like she doesn't like to anybody. I'm telling you, that's.
Speaker 3: Unless your cancer, that's what your history.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't need you can't be in here.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't need you to tell me when I'm off.
Speaker 1: And then I don't like to whole have a whole bunch of people there, and then if I do something they say.
Speaker 13: I don't like that.
Speaker 3: I don't need you to reconcile that I'm good. I don't need you.
Speaker 1: You here to finished product. That's all they need you to do.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't like nobody in the studio.
Speaker 1: If you a writer, right, give give give me the track whatever, the local track, yeah and get out. Yeah, I'm good.
Speaker 3: But when you come back, you be like, whoa. That's what it is with me. Is anybody you ever work with and you wanted to work with got to work with them? It was disappointed? No never, It's pretty much no never never, Like, yeah, I haven't worked with too many people. Pop boy, that boy had a party.
Speaker 1: Of course, Sibilians see yeah, I got my baby girl. I love her and miss her daily. Yeah no, no, no again, because it's not too many people that I will allow in the studio that I will work with, because if it's something that I didn't like, I just didn't do it, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So I heard you say that Missy called you one day and said that she had a dream that Aliah forgave you yes, yes, and we were all wondering, like Aliah, what was what did Missy mean that a Liah for gave for not leaving Devarte on time?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, she had nothing to do with at all like that. That's prior to to us meeting her, Missy Temple. It was the beef with It was just me and her like during during that time. Here's what the issue was. We all was, you know, like a family, you know, Missy Timberland, her myself, magoole player tweet, all of us.
Speaker 3: I love how you keep naming all of them. I got loved that. I love that.
Speaker 2: I love that got I love that. I gotta get lays hear me.
Speaker 3: I respect it. But her and I weren't seeing that.
Speaker 1: I you know what I mean. And I think it had a lot more to do with her loyalty to her uncle then it had to do who you are beefing with at the time or yeah, a little bit cool with her uncle Barry Hankerson as uh, he was the record head and he was the company, was my manager. I just decided to leave because of whatever reason, you know what I mean. And so you know, of course, her loyalty is to her family, and so you know, that's where pretty much stemmed from. We ain't had no beef now is a woman. I ain't beef for no girl, you know what I mean. But it was just one of those things where our time had had, you know, separated, you know, and so I always wanted to make sure that we were cool. But you know, I never got the chance and an opportunity, you know, to explain whatever it was because things things that was happening. I'm pretty sure she was just being told whatever it was, the narrative of whatever it was with me, but it was a lot behind that, and I think at the end of the day she understood. But Missy came and she told me one time she had a dream that Aliah said, don't worry about it.
Speaker 3: She forgive me, and I cried, that's crazy shot for that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, going here with the shop of YPO.
Speaker 3: What do you think Ali would be if she was still alive in this in this stay.
Speaker 1: I would want her to be on the level where where uh B is, I said, yeah, But yeah, I mean, you just never you just never know. I know that she was headed toward that direction, like she was doing the movies. She was doing of course she was doing music, she was dancing and all that, so you know, we just will never know, and that's the bad thing about it. But I believe she would god probably be because her work work ethic was crazy.
Speaker 3: She would she would.
Speaker 1: I mean she was doing everything, man, So I think, you know, as long as she kept that up, and she was believable of course in movies and all that kind of stuff. So she had every every bit of talent that was needed for her to uh, you know, persevere and continue to move forward in that, in that genre, in that and in that entertainment field.
Speaker 2: So who knows, man, I think she would have been big.
Speaker 3: I would hope she would have been bad. I think so, yeah, she would have been. How was it being in the Juana Man not Juwanna man?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: It was a great time and a horrible time for me?
Speaker 1: Wow, because that was first of all, it was a great time because it was like my first movie, and so I was nervous as hell. So we all remember how and still is like how beautiful and and and big Vivica Foxia.
Speaker 2: So here's my first movie and I'm her boyfriend. I don't know.
Speaker 3: What to do, how to do it?
Speaker 1: I got a kiss and sing, So, dude, I'm nervous as hell, And so I'm like, do I.
Speaker 3: Stick my tongue out of my mouth? Do I do I kiss her?
Speaker 1: For real?
Speaker 3: Do you're not asking anybody? No, I'm in my head.
Speaker 2: I'm like, so you just because I'm thinking movies, I'm like, make it.
Speaker 3: Believable, nigga, make it believable, Make believble. So I said, do I do this? Do I not do I?
Speaker 1: So she came in and there I happened to ask her. I was like, look, I don't know what to do on this record. You asked her her.
Speaker 3: I mean, she's.
Speaker 1: I don't know what to do, like I'm nervous, you vivicualt fox like like she and she she was so cool though.
Speaker 3: She made it so easy. She said kiss me. I said, oh my god, go ahead, go ahead. I was like, okay. But still, but even even even with so did you tongue her down there? But even with wanting to be with that, it's still awkward because it's still six seven eight cameras is so awkward. So how did that happen?
Speaker 1: I probably fumbled the first time because I really didn't I really didn't know everything else I was cool with.
Speaker 3: But I was like, okay, you gotta. I think she's with some guy I forgot to do.
Speaker 1: Nine. I think it was a guy named sixty nine or something. I think she was no, not no, no, no, it was like a guy. So I think I was like, well, I mean that's easy, that's probably notice.
Speaker 3: But a gang member. No no, no, he was on, was saying he was on. He wasn't on.
Speaker 1: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: But again, this is my first movie.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know how they do it, dude, I don't know, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So so she was just like kiss me. I was like, got you. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It was great for me man as far as that first start of it.
Speaker 3: But on that set, my mom passed yeah, so so so it was. It was.
Speaker 1: It was great. Not only.
Speaker 2: What's her name, Kim Wayne's her brother passed on on yeah, and so it was.
Speaker 11: It was.
Speaker 1: It was. It was a crazy set, but we got through it and everybody was you know, and it's one of those movies that you got to go back and look at you know how you Yeah, it's one of those.
Speaker 2: Movies you got to go back and look at me, like, oh, this was great.
Speaker 1: This was dope.
Speaker 3: So yeah, but yeah, man, it was good and then it was bad for me, and it was that.
Speaker 1: Was that the time you got your love for acting? Or do you have the love for acting? Way before that? I've really never had a love for acting. Yeah before, Yeah, I really.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm just now like opening up to a lot of it.
Speaker 1: I've been in parks and recreation, I've been in I did a couple of movies and Honey and the Moesha and all that, and you know, I knew that just came with it. I just wanted the stage, you know what I mean, all that stuff came with it. I didn't. I didn't know about that. You know, that was new to me, is it? Because like you know, they have you hurry up and wait like that type of ship. Well, you know, especially on movie Sesson, your hurry up and wait and I'm in patient a lot of times, especially back then. I'm just learning a lot of patients. You know, having seven girls, you're gonna learn pay seven girls. Yeah, so so so I've learned to have a little more patience, But early on I had none, Like if you get my food wrong, and then the drive through, like I just told you the right order, Like why like why don't you have the right Like I was very impatient, Like I had to learn patience like.
Speaker 3: Early on, you know what I mean. So yeah, because movie set is real. Yeah, movie sech is real. Absolutely well.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I did plays and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: Man, But you know, that was really one of the things that I wanted to open up as far as uh going into movies and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Because with plays, it's so dope, is it? One take? That's the thing. You feel more comfortable on the stage with the plays.
Speaker 1: I was like this, I can do more environment you got an ad lib. Like with with movies and all that kind of stuff. Sometimes you can't even stutter. Sometimes you can't even say your line twice or something just.
Speaker 3: To get on to the next do different takes and do it the same way. And that's not me.
Speaker 1: I've never been in the ABC one, two three. It's always on the whim. Just I don't practice. I don't do none of that. Like I practice.
Speaker 3: Let me practice. I need to listen. Even to this day, I don't practice.
Speaker 2: Like like like my singers and dancers and band members they go to sound check.
Speaker 3: I don't go to sound checks sound like somebody I.
Speaker 1: Know here man like like like we're gonna wing it, like we're gonna wing it because I think the best things creatively come to you when you winging it, like all the ABC one two three, like of course, if you're doing certain things, I guess it calls for it.
Speaker 3: But me as an artist, give me tell me how much.
Speaker 1: Time I got put the clock right there, but thirty minutes for the front match, I got it. Y'all got the songs? Yeah, you know what songs to play? Let's go and you depend on them now these jay we have a DJ. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I have a DJ.
Speaker 3: We do have the song list?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just a song just yeah yeah yeah. So so let me do look at my cues boom all that. You all that, but you're edit accordingly depending looking at the time.
Speaker 3: Absolutely so T T G. We never never get t T here we gotta get yeah, we never get a shot shop woman warming up, warm it up.
Speaker 1: 's h First off, I know you probably said this sorry for other places, but for.
Speaker 3: Our fans, oh here we go, get to you. No, no, we have we had tank, we had tank, take tank. But for our fans, we don't know what happened right, and we can't see why it can't be worked out. So just just I mean, I probably know, I don't I don't think I know, but our fans to the fans out there that don't know, who's probably never heard your side of the story, it's really to tell the truth.
Speaker 1: I don't even know a lot of the stuff that the guys has been saying, But it has never been because of them. It has always been because of me fallen out of love with music for a while, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So that's just what it would have been. I don't even know how they explain it.
Speaker 1: I think people form their own opinions when it comes to that, but that is so wrong when you know you truly don't talk to one another to find out certain things. But at the end of the day, me, I've always felt like listen and if I get that love back for that, then and then I'll do it.
Speaker 3: First of all, if.
Speaker 1: I had the love or one wanted to do an album, I'd have done it for myself first. I haven't came out with the CDs and since since TGT or whatever, so it's never.
Speaker 2: Been about tie or tag, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Or nothing like that. It's just I don't never want to cheat my audience ever, you know what I mean, If I can't give you one hundred and ten percent, so I am not going in there. If I don't feel it, I'm not going in there. And sometimes it other it takes people a certain amount of time to get in there and get that love and that appreciation for what they're doing and just to want to give their best and have that competitive spirit. For a while, I didn't have that competitive spirit anymore. So I just did not want to go in there and cheat my audience. Had nothing to do with them, you know what I mean, nothing to do it. But again that's why when you say that, you never heard that from me, because I'm not fighting you. I'm not going to fight you know the people out there that think something or whatever, you know, until you hear it from my mouth, like that's what it's going to be, that's what it is.
Speaker 3: But no, it's never been. For Tie, that's my boy, Tank, that's my boy.
Speaker 1: You know, it is what it is. But I don't want to cheat them, and most of water, I don't want to cheat the people and was supposed to be the Yeah, I actually I started the whole thing, the concept, and of course it wasn't TGT. We came up with that as we was working, but with a plane tank I think that way.
Speaker 3: I don't remember. I don't remember.
Speaker 2: But Tie wasn't even our first my first choice.
Speaker 1: It was a vant levant was doing a record, was coming out with a record, and so he was like, I can't uh, you know whatever, and so I was like, come on, let's call TIE. And so it was formulated like in two thousand and eight, but it never was brought to fruition to what two thousand and thirteen, fourteen whatever.
Speaker 14: It was.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but once that half then a lot of other things.
Speaker 1: Came in in the play. So I was just like, ah, man, okay, money issue, yeah, yeah, yeah, And for for me, that is one one of that is one of the issues early on, right, I don't think you get into a group to say that you're better than the group, like if you're if you feel that way, stay so yeah, you know what I'm saying, You don't. You don't get into a group to say, oh, I'm bigger or whatever. And so that that rubbed me the wrong way first of all. But I was still like Okay, let's let's It took a little convincing, you know what I mean, But I was like, okay.
Speaker 3: Let's let's do this. But it was the second time that the same thing happened.
Speaker 1: Because I was already through the first time and I entertained it the second time, and once that subject in that specific situation came up and it was again that I was like, Okay, I'm good.
Speaker 3: I'm good, dog. I mean, you can answer this. I'm good except way you want. But when you say that he got more money, are we talking about for the upfront advanced?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, for sure show It was like a show thing and like the upfront.
Speaker 1: But then but here's what I presented to present it, you know, the second go round, I was like, Okay, we can do that, but when the bills come in, you.
Speaker 2: Pay that same percentage that you're getting. It can't be can't be equal when the bill come in.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So we're gonna keep it funky, keeping funky. So So once that was discussing, I was like, first of all, I'm cool, bro, I'm cool.
Speaker 1: I don't I'm cool. I'm comfortable, so I don't need to do it and so I've always been a true believer the things that the way that things start out is the way that things finished. And so with me already being on the edge after the first time going into the second time, it's being that way. I was like, Okay, so we won't fight, so we won't hate each other. I'm fine. I actually even say, get another person. I don't know if even actually told you.
Speaker 3: I don't know if he.
Speaker 1: I say, I said, get another letter, Like I'm good, get another letter, you know what I mean. And so I think I think that that's what you know what what drove me to the point where like, okay, cool, I'm we're still friends.
Speaker 3: I want to still be you know whatever. But but but I'm gonna be honest. It is a classic. It is. I love that record.
Speaker 1: I don't even listen to my own records, but that CD I listened to is absolutely listen to. What would it take nothing? I can't do it speaking from his own now, I'm not gonna do it. My brother hate that, but you absolutely say never.
Speaker 3: Never. I'm not doing that because you before you were saying when you when you're ready.
Speaker 1: I'm not down. Now I'm talking about me. Yeah, I'm not doing that no more. Wow, do we take a shot to that? We can't never?
Speaker 3: I don't know, I don't know, I don't know. On, I gotta start right here. Let's go, let's go. Come on, listen, listen, you gotta take it. We're gonna sit this one this time. Let's sip this mother.
Speaker 5: Let's say.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, say yeah, you never can say never again.
Speaker 3: I'm be real with it. Never can say never. But that's way I am now now. But wait for your shot. Maybe the right situation. I'm watching very closely, sir. Go ahead. It's not a shot. This is not okay, wow, because if a label came with the right situation, because let's suppose that's another situation. Let's suppose there's another situation that caused the situation. Yes, listen, let him expland I'm bad. I'm bad.
Speaker 1: Ahead, I don't even know how to explain this though, because it's all it's all got to do with the time.
Speaker 3: Okay, back in the day, if we if if if we.
Speaker 1: Didn't do something that we were supposed to do, and we contracted, we contractually obligated ourselves to do, would they give us a pass?
Speaker 3: But let me, let me, let me be. I'm just you're asking about the deals back then. Yeah, usually wouldn't give this is something.
Speaker 6: This is true for thought this, but let me be that was you'd be stuck on the label and definitely if you didn't do what you had to do.
Speaker 3: How about this, let me be demo's advocate. What if a label came to y'all and said, I want to buy T G T right. Okay, I want to get T G T right. But what and but the thing is, I'm going to negotiate with you on the side. I'm going to negotiate with him on the side. Done, and I'm not doing that. No, but what what if that what if that label comes with the number you want to forget?
Speaker 1: The number?
Speaker 3: No? No, no, we we if if you want to split down the middle three? Yeah, to talk about, but what came and what a number that you like?
Speaker 1: I don't give a fuck no, because because you group? Why can you say it's a possibility that anyone.
Speaker 3: Else story If we are in a group, we are a group. If you want to be solo, just go sold let me alone. Let me understand your aloud.
Speaker 1: You can't get in a group or anything to say you're better that that that now turns turns it into something else between you and me, you know what I mean, like like and so that's why I took the higher road and was like, it's not like we started out as a group. And that's why I feel for a lot of groups, because a lot of times that's what you will only be known for, feeling we are three kings solo sept have to do this, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Don't have to do this, Todd, don't have to do this.
Speaker 1: So we did that because we are friends and we felt that it would be something special for the people. But the inner inner, you know stuff, you know, kind of messed a lot of things up. But it wasn't because you know, I wasn't willing to ben and you know, try to make things work.
Speaker 3: I did that in the beginning.
Speaker 1: If if, if, if I was stuck to my guns, they would never even been the first joint.
Speaker 3: Right now, if someone comes and says three three three split down the middle, lying MAUI, you're gonna make the record for all damn you. You know what I mean?
Speaker 13: Heybo, we should have had to talk, but devastated right there, you know, you didn't take.
Speaker 3: This too, look at all. Oh yeah, let's not keep.
Speaker 1: My evidence right here, just in case anybody you can smell.
Speaker 3: Every cup is de leon in there. God damn it. You're drinking choices Hennessy. Yes, so you used to like to fight a lot. Yes, and we call that Look at me pretty because.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because anybody who drinking Hennessy and my acknowledgement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very aggressive person, you're very laid back. You got it together. Yeah, at one point, at one point he was wanding out when you was on tour. Yeah, you was drinking hennessy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like.
Speaker 2: If he was, uh social media back then, it's been a little different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, no tough guy stuff.
Speaker 1: It was just stupid young boy stuff, you know, nothing tough guys like that. But yeah, I'm glad it was no social media back then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sir, sir. Yeah, what's what's like the walls thing you've seen on tour? You question? How about the below something? I mean, I mean, come on, man, like like the tour the after parties is always something that.
Speaker 1: You experience and you just say, wow, I never thought this was possible, Like this is.
Speaker 3: It's like it's crazy, man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when I was younger, man, like, and I can't imagine damn your shows because some of the shows that we were doing was a little crazy. You just see a lot of crazy stuff, like you just see I mean, I don't know, Like I've said, I've seen you act so like that's the craziest thing that happened.
Speaker 2: The same thing has happened to a lot a lot of artists.
Speaker 1: When you check in the.
Speaker 3: Hotel and some girls or a girl is in your room.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Now back in the days, we'll be able to be like, oh we if I'd have thought back then, I.
Speaker 3: See the hotels, I do, but I'm young.
Speaker 14: I'm like, you get busy, your stalker is coming through you.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, that's the.
Speaker 1: Best thing about being a seasoned artist that have made it through all that. All that now now you can see all the hiccups. You can see all the craziness that can happen later and you try to, you know, remove yourself from that situation. And so, like I said, like, I'm glad wasn't like a lot of social media there are in those times, because yeah, a lot of crazy things happen.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you, what do you like more, being married or being single? I'm not married. I know, I'm just saying, Oh, we all period, period, overall life being married, being married. I heard you say that before, you said for a man. I thought there was a dope speech. You said for a man, you feel like a man should be married?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I feel like it betters us, you know what I mean, because it.
Speaker 3: Limits our ground. It kind of vides us.
Speaker 1: But I also feel like, you know, because of how the world is and where we are, you know, we're taught a certain, certain certain way, and so I feel like, yeah, yeah, I think marriage is the best thing for a guy, you know what I mean, because only bad things come from you just doing a whole bunch of them. True, you know what I mean, Like, only only bad things come come from that. And so.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm I'm I'm looking for that, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So in love absolutely absolutely, there's nothing like that, especially we had the kids and every everything. You know, I was I was speaking to a young fella, and I was just like, man, when I came home finally, I mean, once the divorce and all that happened and I came home and the house was empty, I was like, it's real.
Speaker 3: It's like no towels do everything.
Speaker 1: Quiet, quiet, nothing happened, And I was like, I don't like this.
Speaker 3: No one to argue with this.
Speaker 1: I like this. I mean you don't.
Speaker 2: You don't miss it until it's gone, you feel me?
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think I think the best thing for a guy is to have that stability in a woman and kids, in a family and just you know, just be a family man. It's catching God, just catching up.
Speaker 3: Your right now. I feel like you manage yourself. Absolutely. We need you to explain that to these artists. Yeah. One that don't think they can do that. Yes. And two the reason why.
Speaker 1: As far as me managing and doing a lot of the stuff that I do for me on a daily basis, I think it's uh, it's a great thing for me because I've had so many well not so many two situations in my life that with detriment to me prospering in this entertainment business and so like in the beginning, like I had like from ninety six to two thousand and one accountant. Like one thing I want to say to a lot of the young young artists out there, pay attention to the accountants and you're lawyers, wear many hats.
Speaker 3: Don't just say I'm on the.
Speaker 1: Road, I'm doing my thing, and Yo, the money's going to be there because the same way that you're working, and as hard as you're working, if you get the wrong person to manage that, they're working just as hard to think of how to steal your money, you know what I mean. There's wolves out here, man, and so you tie on yeah and stand up, Hey, what's up? And that's actually their business how they make This happened to me twice. Accountants twice. The accountants wow. And so the third time, you know, in two thousand seven, when the housing crisis hit tough time, bro, I was asset rich but money poor. I think I had forty eight thousand dollars in my account. I got rose voices, I got Lamborghinis, I got homes, I got all that, but I only got forty eight thousand dollars. And so during that time, it was more so about you know, the housing, and I think Bernie made off and all that.
Speaker 3: Kind of stuff. A tough time and a lot of people were going through and so I went.
Speaker 1: To the FBI for this person, and it was basically told me we had bigger fish to fry. So basically, you on your own kid again for the second time. Right, So from that point on, I just said I'm handling. I don't care how hard the homework is and the work is, I'm going to handle it myself. And I could not have done nothing better than to do that, man like. And so now I'm sitting good. I'm comfortable. I ain't rich, rich, rich or whatever, but I'm very comfortable. Don't need to sing no more. Have accountants, don't need no.
Speaker 3: I mean I have people who like no.
Speaker 1: No. I have a place that we reconcile every every quarter. Okay, and this is what you made all that, and then I just pay quarterly, you know, because that's what it's truly about, access to your access to.
Speaker 3: The account period.
Speaker 1: I'll just advise you. And that's what a lot of guys don't understand. A lot of artists, not just this kind of females, everybody. You got to take control of your life because at the end of the day, no one will care about your life more than you. So you got to take control of that. And so you know, that's that's what I did in two thousand and ten. And so from that on, I don't have no manager, don't want no manager. Don't have uh uh, you know, accountants that that have access to your money and all that.
Speaker 3: I do everything in house.
Speaker 1: I hire a person that you know, handle certain situations, but no one has access to the things that I you know, I got going I got going on. So yeah, man, but damn man if I if I knew what I knew now, then man, I'd be in such a better position.
Speaker 3: But let's make some noise for but but but but you being as busy as as as you be, like you said, I think you said you almost probably do twenty shows a month if you wanted to. Yeah, I'm gone every weekend, not twenty.
Speaker 1: But I just think Friday said something, you negotiate all those shows every yourself as yourself every show, every show.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at you every every show. Right, Yeah, it is ever an awkward conversation with the what I need. That's what it said. That's very simple, very simple. That's honestly because you know, you know, because the artist feel awkward. Artists just like I want to talk.
Speaker 1: You talking about my money, you feel me like because it's not a lot of stuff to do that. Like, my brother's right there, he'll tell you, like, listen, are you free. Yeah, how much you need X amount? What do you need on your route? At say any contract? That's what it is, right, it's not communicated. It's not a lot to that now to manage that. It's specifics and all that kind of stuff. And ballert because I believe it or not. A person can put certain things in the contract and be like, oh, he said, but you just got to have a person that can just read it, read it reader. And I actually sits. I sits through it a lot of them. If I don't, I passes it on to my road manage and we we we talk it out and yeah you have a road manager. Yeah, yeah, because you need to shout out to take Terrence Williams.
Speaker 3: Damn, that's crazy.
Speaker 1: So many artists need to hear that I don't let nobody mess with my money, because at one.
Speaker 3: Point I haven't before, But at one point I had that with two situations the same way. Whereas you, I mention you, and I didn't. I didn't trust nobody, so I would but I would be frightened. I would tell I would not tell people it was negotiating deals. I had a whole different email such and such, Yeah, yeah, such and such and they were negotiating with me. They just didn't know it was me. Damn, I calmed down. Yeah, but I would to God, So I understand that totally. Is that something that like, I'd like to let them know it's me though, you let them know what's b Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm looking. I'm looking like when you get like that twice? Man, Yeah, you don't know.
Speaker 3: No time for three ye no time? Did that?
Speaker 11: Did that?
Speaker 3: Did that make you better to a certain extent? Because absolutely, because you know what it is. We're giving the people jobs at the end of the day, with no direspect to any manager out there or anybody that works behind the scenes. But still it's still us. That's the artists. Yes, we know that they helped make us, but we also were given the opportunity. We're given them the opportunity, and I just feel like they should honor at it to a fall. Yeah, it hurts both times I went through it.
Speaker 2: Man, that that that truly hurts when it's someone that.
Speaker 1: How just just to put things in perspective, you as a person, you just you're looking at a person to guide you and and and and take care of you, like your mother or your father. Right, So when that person violates that trust. It's sustained on your heart, it's sustained in your mind.
Speaker 3: And so it took twice two times for me to be like, I don't fuck you, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: So that is it's it's messed up man.
Speaker 1: And so I just feel like, you know, when you take on a job like that, just have the best in mind for your for your client, because when a lot of people don't understand, even managers and people like that, as long as you make that one person successful, so many other people are going to come to you. Just do right, just do right, just do right. And so a lot of people don't don't understand that. It's like, it's just like that story about the goose with the golden egg. They get the fox keep that killed the killed the goose and thought it was at a billion eggs.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 1: Come on, man, you gotta enjoy and understand the process of making that situation of situation and building from that situation.
Speaker 2: A lot of people don't understand that they're just in there for the quick money.
Speaker 3: You shouldn't do that.
Speaker 2: You enjoy the process, enjoy, enjoy always being around the element of you are being able to move forward.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean. And that's why I've always said I don't have to be number one. I don't have to be on a charice only. But am I?
Speaker 3: Am I in the room that person going, oh I remember pony, Oh I remember this?
Speaker 14: Yo?
Speaker 1: Can you do this?
Speaker 12: Can you do this?
Speaker 1: That's how you continue to go like this, That's how you continue to build Bill Bill.
Speaker 3: The person that I'm too good to talk to anybody and now you yo, you need me, you need that.
Speaker 1: That's not that's not the person that's gonna prosper when he or she falls.
Speaker 3: They're gonna fall like this.
Speaker 1: When the person that has made those connections, made those you know, friendships, they're.
Speaker 3: Gonna go like this mm hmmm, mm hmmm because of the people that are in the room right. You know what I'm saying. So that's what you're supposed to do.
Speaker 1: You always maintain your humbleness, Always maintain and understand that nothing lasts forever. Always know that you can be here mm hmmm, or you could be there right by people.
Speaker 3: You got to do right by people, bro, because they might be at one point in a different position. You got your shot ready, I'm here, let's go. Oh my God, that was so in those jeans. He wants to know what's in those to make sure this is right here? How many times you get tagged on Instagram a day a million people just showing you in they jeans? Did you make in them jeans while you had on a pair of jeans? I didn't make those scenes. Let me give you a story. Okay, let's go. Let me give you a I don't know what I said. Go ahead, you can said, nobody listen to us like I said, you said.
Speaker 1: So. I did a song called hell Yeah mm hmm. Kelly wrote that song that's big up all Kelly Ye, all right, okay, now I'm com through, now come through.
Speaker 3: So that two stories.
Speaker 1: So he wrote that song for me, right, and I was like that dope. And then he uh the south Fast something so shine. You know what I'm saying, He's so mean, Why are you doing the damn thing? And he more room from me and those jeans, I said what he made his own version and those genes.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna take that. I'm gonna take that. And I wrote a song about it.
Speaker 1: I wrote, I wrote that song from that song from that piece, right, And so when I wrote that song, I was like, yo, Kelly didn't like it though, for real he like it.
Speaker 3: He like, but I wrote that.
Speaker 1: He called you and said, you, pretty boy, pretty niggas try to do new y you let me tell you do that.
Speaker 3: What he called the label that's a homi dady.
Speaker 1: So you know he of course, you know, it was a little static in the in the beginning, but you know, the labels like no.
Speaker 3: This is hit, I don't I don't care what you're talking about, and so and so.
Speaker 1: So we can't came out with it. So you know, it shout out to a man. But yet one of uh in those genes was one of those songs for me. Man, I was just like, I was just being creative. I was just being a creative dude, you know what I mean. And so again I was in Miami.
Speaker 3: I think it was.
Speaker 2: Fat Joe uh Hi rule all of us was. You know, we were in the same uh uh yeah. Now we were in the same uh snity level nightclub.
Speaker 3: Yeah he's doing I think, but yeah, it was.
Speaker 12: It was.
Speaker 2: It was great, man, it was great, great experience. You know jeans Man I said, listen, I'm just like.
Speaker 1: Uh, what was that line?
Speaker 2: Jac said, you made it a hot line. I made it a hot song.
Speaker 3: At that time. He was going out.
Speaker 1: That's what I was a little bit, just a little bit. He made me mad. He made me because he called my label. He made me man. He made me man. He's like, why not here? They can't go out? And the label was like yes again, so it's so good. Give you jewels, will give you your jewels.
Speaker 3: I'm bouncing around, yeah, do it, do it? Two reasons. I cried, come on, man, I don't do half. I do that sometimes. Okay. It was a great away about my father passed. Got you got. I don't listen to it. So when I read, I was like what I was like. Of course I listened to it as.
Speaker 1: I made it.
Speaker 3: Of course, of course you have to listen back, of course, But physically, like sometimes people will put like you know, I'll jump in a car service somewhere and they're like, oh ship, and they'll put on a playlist and as soon as I come on, like a little bit special, can you push that? Push that? Because for me I didn't. I made the record to vent, but I ain't make the record for me. I made the record for everyone else. Going through it was therapeutic, It was therapeutic. I made the record for everyone else that was going through it. When I heard you say that same story, I was like, I was like, we don't even like, we don't even know, and that's crazy.
Speaker 1: So have you listened to it? I mean I have, but yeah, maybe twice in on purpose or it was just probably playing. I've never I've never actually put it on and just listen to the whole thing. No, there's always been little pieces and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: So so now I've never done that.
Speaker 2: I've never done that because it's too emotional.
Speaker 1: You know, a lot of people that haven't experienced the things that we've experienced in writing those type of songs, they won't understand. They won't understand that, you know what I mean. So if I actually listen to that, I can't even function no more.
Speaker 3: Like like you said, your engineer left out. Oh yeah, my.
Speaker 1: Engineer and Corey Rooney core he left out. He left the moment. Yeah, they needed engineers. It was easy op engineering.
Speaker 3: I don't even remember, no easy LP. He produced it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he produced people do so I don't think He's LP was dead. It was kept cos actually they left out left. Yeah, we had to take a moment. Eybody had to take a moment because they heard it in my voice. I was cracking, I was crying and all that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: It was therapeutic though, you know what I mean, I had to get that out.
Speaker 1: That actually helped me because you continue to back to back at father Daniel, well my mama, I mean my father did my mama?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, And we both of y'all think that that record would help other people going. That's the only reason why I did it was like, you know, actually probably didn't do it for me. I did it for anybody else going through it. Well, in fact, I did it for me and and and the people.
Speaker 1: But I had to let it out, bro, like I was hurting, bro, because I could tell you don't address everything. Yeah, yeah, I'm I'm one of those guys. I keep everything to myself.
Speaker 3: But that's why I also read that you went to therapy therapy help helping you go down, and I also.
Speaker 1: Read talk about depression, right, well yeah for that yeah, yeah, yeah, I still I still I still battle with that though, you know what I mean, a lot of people. You know, what's funny is like you can have all this all that you know what I mean. People don't know when you go home. Be like, like a lot of people don't know that, and so I battle with that on a constant basis, on a daily basis. So but you know, at the end of the day, I'm I'm constantly moving forward and that's what's most important. Don't allow that to dictate what your movements and what your prosperity will be. Fight for it, move forward, fight through it, love, keep going. You know what I mean, because that's what it is. Life is a journey. Life is a fight.
Speaker 2: You can't you know, I mean, it is what it is, you know, And you know what I've always.
Speaker 1: Find healing in to see things that other people are going through and I'm like, why are you complaining? I just posted something. It was a young guy giving uh someone in Africa like bread, and I was like, wow, I'm I'm worried about it. Doesn't mean that your feelings don't have any merit or yeah or anything like that.
Speaker 3: But understand that.
Speaker 1: This way more than you are going through.
Speaker 3: And that's what I find strength in, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So, So I don't, I don't, I don't, I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't sleep in you know, my faults or my you know, all all the other stuff that comes with me being me and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: I find strength to move forward in what others.
Speaker 1: Don't have, you know what I mean, because that's where your strength comes, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: And so, uh, that's that's what builds me up. That's what makes me who I who I am, the man that I am, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Because everything that I'd be like, oh, I can't, I can't, I can't do this and do that, And I'm like, damn this.
Speaker 3: They are living on the street. You gotta mansine to go home to what? Shut up? Shut the funk up.
Speaker 1: Work work, that's what you gotta do. You gotta work. And I'm a worker dog. I posted something a few days ago. I was like, look, because this guy he was supposed to clean my fountain, and I know how to clean my foulon. I was like, you know what, don't clean it. I'll clean it myself, you know what I mean. So we gotta okay, we're looking to skipboard the fount. In fact, you got a foulon. I gotta found a big found. Okay, you got a big, big sound because I don't think most of us.
Speaker 3: Can relate to having about everybody's like what the is the fountain?
Speaker 1: So I'm like, clean yourself, just cleaning yourself. And so I did that and I found purpose. I found I felt like like like I found yeah, like so yeah, so that's so.
Speaker 3: That's what it was.
Speaker 1: Man. I'm always appreciative and I'm always thankful for any and everything that's been given to me.
Speaker 3: And I'm going to just move forward, you.
Speaker 15: Know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I don't have I don't hate, dislike or nothing, nothing like that. I just want to move forward. Oh that's that good ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah you don't. Yeah, you don't smoke weed?
Speaker 1: Nah?
Speaker 14: What not?
Speaker 3: What made you not want to say? Let me, let me hit the let me hit they you ready for the story? Don't tell me certain weed and they fucked you up one night and it never turned me back. Don't say it five times? Six times?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's give This is one of the things that a lot of people don't understand, like certain things aren't for certain people.
Speaker 3: There you go, you finish my sentence. Feel me?
Speaker 1: So I used to throw up every well not used to. I still will throw up every time I smoke weed. Anybody in here that smokes. We be like, we don't make you throw up, Yes, it does. It makes me throw up.
Speaker 3: You don't see anxiety, nah, nah, because.
Speaker 1: When I smoke weed, I mean well, when I half smoked weed, I'll be like, yo, I'm comfortable, and then all of a sudden, my stomach says, not so comfortable.
Speaker 3: It's coming up there. So you know it is what it is exactly.
Speaker 2: Some certain things ain't for everybody.
Speaker 3: Now that, honey, we can do that all day.
Speaker 1: We can.
Speaker 3: We can do that that, all that, all that. I can't believe we do that.
Speaker 1: We do that all day.
Speaker 3: For a long time. Do that all day.
Speaker 2: Nothing else you never Yeah, of course all the albums you sold, I've done that.
Speaker 3: I've done that. I've done all of that. But no wine. I drank choice. You don't have to did a song like that, drink of choice?
Speaker 2: Mean to tell me you and like that might maybe I bring my own. That's a dry country.
Speaker 3: Actually you're talking about the uh the hen deal, secure killing killing.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we tried to convince you to drink now.
Speaker 6: No, no, it's like.
Speaker 3: You try to try.
Speaker 1: He was like all loves I like, but I'm sticking with that mean, I mean you gotta.
Speaker 3: I mean you won't do a shot, just a shot I'm gonna do. I'm gonna do a shot. That's what I drink. I drink jelly on. Okay, you want to take a shot? Shot?
Speaker 1: I want to do a shot? Which y'all drink?
Speaker 3: Okay, you can drink shot shot.
Speaker 1: Marijuana?
Speaker 3: Well, my father, you ready for the show? Here?
Speaker 1: You know how with that?
Speaker 3: You want me to tell you to I'm gonna tell you to listen.
Speaker 1: Listen, let me tell you to give me They make that in the bathtub.
Speaker 3: I'm just telling you. In the bathtob.
Speaker 4: I'll smell it. It's got to sweet into it. No, no, it's like you want to you want to try my shot?
Speaker 3: You want to try my No no, no, no, no, no no no yeah. Yeah, I'm drinking yo oil.
Speaker 1: Japanese.
Speaker 3: No fuck? No is the minic? No no no, no, tell bring this Japanese. Give me some hitty we do that? Okay? This is okay?
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 3: This is the Japanese deli on that Japanese ship. When you out that Japanese.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Look how many shots do you want to see?
Speaker 11: You know?
Speaker 3: Look how many shots?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 3: Were having fun. We've been wanting you on this show for so long. Damn okay o great, that was the fast.
Speaker 6: Let me know.
Speaker 3: You want to want another shout any just on deck? Okay, don't have a shout I got it right to ye, just on that just because man, we've been wanting doing this show for so long. Yes, thank you, Yes at the beginning.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you something, bro, I want to thank you man, like because when you when you started your podcast, it was like everybody was just like trying to eat and this is this was like the pandemic and all that. Everybody was just trying to get people on. But I was like, he had a purpose, Yeah, had a purpose. You had a purpose. It's like I want to give your flowers and we're moving for a lot of the artists to spend that's been out and that's one of the only reasons.
Speaker 3: You got on there.
Speaker 1: I got a shout out, uh my singer Deldric for red Ricky Rush all that because they was like they've been talking about jobs. Shout out to them, you know, and thank you for bigging bigging us up. But I gotta tell you, this is your day man, about you. It's a national holiday.
Speaker 3: Understand holiday, yeah man, Yeah, were waking up. I want to know. I wanted to well, yeah man, because.
Speaker 1: I tasting keep right there.
Speaker 3: I take I'm taking that right there. And you never did the verses. Yes, you never. No, I'm never gonna do that. You're never gonna do that. Nobody can funk with you. No, absolutely stop it. That's why you're not doing Do you want to say he ain't doing the bro Nobody come.
Speaker 1: Up with you. I'm sorry, No, It's again one of those things where I'm I'm totally this, that's not my thing. Man.
Speaker 3: It's like I've heard Jay couple and I'm not on that level. But nobody can't stand on stage what they're talking about.
Speaker 1: Like I don't. I don't want to do that.
Speaker 3: Like I just know it's not standing. You started ship to me like you said no.
Speaker 1: With me.
Speaker 3: Listen.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I just sound like to be I don't like saying that. I'm want very end on that stage. I'm very entertained by by that. I just don't want to be a part of it. I don't even know why, Like I just don't like I want to celebration. I get it, but no, I'll be there but no, I'm not. I'm not going to do that. I'm not going to do that.
Speaker 3: I'm not. Money doesn't make a difference, none of that.
Speaker 1: You can do it, you know that's supposed to supposed the money can't right.
Speaker 3: And they asked you management because to the two different people, now the artist you are man, yes, said I'm artist, amazing. The manager said wait a minute. So look, so look what happens if the right amount of money comes and they say to you will pick your opponent where y'all can celebrate each other's Like what what?
Speaker 1: Who would be that opponent that you will pick? It's now you're starting ship. Don't don't tell me you can't you can't come out, but you don't.
Speaker 3: Tell me that. I really don't know.
Speaker 1: That's just like uh, like you you you always sometimes like if you're interested in something that you just want to observe it and you see it, but you not want to try to kind of be a part of it.
Speaker 15: Like that's what that is like for me, Like I I like to see it. Yeah, I just don't know. I'm not trying to play the ball. Like that's what it is with me, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: You know anything everything has its right because you're doing it just because it's something to do. But I don't really I have no interest in that. Yeah, I mean, but I will observe it, I'll look, I'll say I'll enjoy it and all that, but I don't really. Let's your catalog is so I know, I know, I know that's what keep everybody keep saying, I just don't want to do it.
Speaker 3: Has Swiss and Timblin called you, I'm sure Timblin the Associations has called me. Yeah, no, no, and what they were saying who they wanted you against. I don't even listen to it. She said that it's just real.
Speaker 1: I don't want to do it.
Speaker 3: I don't want to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've always been that kind of guy, like if I've never been kind of got to get a car or close or something because everyone else has it. But I've always been a person that if I get it because I actually like it. Never been a follower, always been a leader always. But the manager is also saying, if the money is right, we'll formulated so the way that you need it to be. And that's that's why I'm glad I'm a manager and are just to manage your part and your artist part, arguing.
Speaker 3: The situation because the man's like, lady right, so yeah, trusted me.
Speaker 1: It happens.
Speaker 3: It happens. Man, that's the funny ship. Man, what's the left?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: You conquered there? Listen the reality show you was here, We go here. This is the first I knew on Big Brother, Big Brother you went overseas? Yeah, yeah, your.
Speaker 2: Phone all that, they take everything, they take everything.
Speaker 1: What else you wrong with outside your own? I was like, no, that, well your phone is you with cyborgs? I told you that, you know what I mean. But you know that's an extension of us. So once you take the phone from us, you take the radio, and you take all the outside situations that's happening. Now you only have us. You remember he was like, Yo, take all that stuff away, how can we.
Speaker 3: Exist or whatever?
Speaker 1: You would be surprised now that we still have a lot of the stuff that's in us to just exist.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean. It happens, but we are so dependent on this.
Speaker 1: We're so dependent on this, and so we're losing you go through with draw, I'm sure, man, we're losing so much depth in who we are as individuals. And just humans period. We don't talk to each other, you know what I mean. Like when I take my kids out, I tell them give me your phones. Give me your phones? Wow, put them right there.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Talk to me?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Because if you don't do that, man, how can you How can you know about someone? How can you know about your seed? I can you know about the person that you loved the most? So, yeah, man, when we were over there, I was like in a different world. Bro, did you feel like you was like one of the first people that tried that. They tried to cancel at first, because that was like yeah with the.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, but I didn't.
Speaker 1: Know you tried to kiss you without your permission. I didn't know it until I got off of it because you ain't have your phone. Yeah, And so I look, so it's live a film, it's live.
Speaker 2: Everything is like they got cameras everywhere, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean by because don't they edit and then send it to the world of course? Okay, but you don't know what they're editing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that episode came out while I was still Yeah, so you had no idea there and I almost made it to the end, what happened? I don't know what you're talking about when transgender uh a person.
Speaker 3: Jokingly it was like give me a kiss, and I.
Speaker 1: Was like, oh, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: And it wasn't you know it was what it was.
Speaker 1: But I was just like I didn't know the effect that it would have on.
Speaker 2: Me, just saying all of a sudden anti, I was like, what the hell what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: But one thing that I could always say that most people understood the situation and understood where where it was and it wasn't. It didn't didn't grant gain legs because they already knew it was what it was.
Speaker 3: So but I was just surprised. Once I got out, I was just like, what what happened? Because I was.
Speaker 1: Hearing I won't say no names, but big radio guys was like he shooting shoot them? He should have did this, he should have did it. And I was like, nah, I ain't with all that, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: No, I did what whoa boom? I'm whatever, move move forward. It wasn't that serious for you in that moment you did what you did, because it is.
Speaker 1: Never that serious with me. Bro, never like I'm like, boom, this is what it is. Move forward, you know what I mean? When you got the kids that I have in grandkids, you see things in a different life and so you put it in perspective. You don't act always on the things that you know constitute you acting. Sometimes as a younger individual, the way that I did it then probably wouldn't have been the way that I did it in twenty five. At twenty five, you feel me, so you know, and that's what's most important. With age comes wisdom, and so you grow, you learn, you move forward, and you set a precedent and an example for other people to build on. And then now they have something to look look at and just you know, do whatever it is that they need to do.
Speaker 3: Moving forward, right, and everybody grows.
Speaker 1: That's the thing that's crazy about today that everything is filmed. Everything is everybody's filming themselves.
Speaker 3: Crazy. But I'm like, you can't grow from.
Speaker 1: That because everybody keeps going back to that, yeah, problem of where we're at today. You know, as humans, we grow, you mature, you learn, you experience, and you change fact and now they keep bringing people no, no.
Speaker 3: You are this person when you was this age or this age or this age. That's not fair.
Speaker 1: That's so important, man, like, because you can't even look at a lot of the things that's going on sometimes in the basketball situation, boxing situation and all that. You know, I love boxing and all that, right, and then I look at, you know, certain individuals in boxing, and I'm like, you can't give a certain individual a certain amount of money and expect them to do what a fifty year old do. You got to understand what you deal with, you know what I'm saying. So yes, wrong, right, indifferent. You've got to understand what what it is. So you can't you can't.
Speaker 3: Just just just just beat that.
Speaker 1: Individual down and thinking that he's supposed to be that person or she's supposed to be that person when there's so much put in their lap at a young age and an early early age. And it's not to give them him or her past, but understand what you're dealing with. You know, it's not fair, really, you know what I mean, It's truly not fair. So yeah, yeah, would you do a big brother again? No? Nah?
Speaker 3: Because of that.
Speaker 1: Because of that lesson, I always felt like, man, once you do something and you have success at it, and you've done it and and you've conquered, whatever.
Speaker 3: It is, you move forward behind you. How about theater? Would you again? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Because I thinking that experience. Yeah, I think I think that. I think that shoppens you. I think that shoppens you and it allows you to continue on your path to just be great and just to move forward in uh other situations. Man, I think I think theater is great because you have no chance to do it over when you do it there. That's what it is.
Speaker 3: If you get stuck caught up.
Speaker 1: Even you know, like anything that we do, we can slice dice, but on theater, when there's a million people on our people, you know, thousands of people out there and you're on the stage. You got to get through it. But that's what sharpens you. That's what shoppens Even if you make a mistake, you just you gotta keep going. It's not like that over.
Speaker 3: You can't you can't say, oh yo, bo, it's a thousand people out there, what are you talking about. You got to keep they don't know you made a misw Okay, there you go.
Speaker 1: There you go. You gotta move, you gotta move, you gotta move forward, And that shoppens you. That as long as you have that in your mind that you cannot say cut, let's do it over.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, that sharpens you. As long as you have that crutch to say cut.
Speaker 1: That ain't sharping in you, right, that ain't sharpening you. Like when you don't have that. You got to continue, You got to think on your feet, You got to move forward.
Speaker 3: That's what's sharpened. Sh Yeah, now that's what I touch on this lightly because like I said, you said, you said you've been in the game for twenty seven years. Yeah, I've been in twenty five, I believe. And I've seen you all over the world, and like I said, I have never seen you depressed personally. I've always seen you like happy. First, you always seen each other, gave each other love. And when I read that you dealt with depression, I didn't understand why. But then I read it deeper and it's about your parents and how it came back to back now. And then I also read that it was a past of that actually helped you with that. You want to talk about that process? Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: I attended from the Heart Church ministries. I got saved in two thousand and five, and so needless to say, like my dad committed suicide, shot himself in the had ninety nine, and then my mom died the next year two thousand, right, So needless to say, come on, man, like you're going to go through whatever it is, whatever it is that you're going to happen, whatever.
Speaker 3: You're going to go through that.
Speaker 11: And so.
Speaker 1: For me, again I always use the word therapeutic. Music was therapeutic, you know what I mean. And I was able to navigate my way through life through music and to just try to find my way. And you know, in two thousand and five, you know, my my then wife now ex wife, still great friends and all that.
Speaker 3: I used to do. They used to go to church all the time. I used to like, they used to go to church.
Speaker 1: In my makeup for not going to church, I used to buy them flowers every Sunday when they go to church.
Speaker 3: So when they go to church, I go to this store. I'll by the flowers, my daughters and all them. And when they come back, I got them flowers and all that.
Speaker 2: But one day, one day, one day, I just say, what is church stuff about?
Speaker 3: This is that therapy?
Speaker 1: At first, yeah, I was, I was doing what I do, and then I was like, okay, let me, let me, let me go through this. And so I kept going. And then the one thing about church, and you know the people that are in church, uh you know, uh pastors and all that kind of stuff. That day it makes you feel very happy. It makes you feel very He gives you a reset, gives you like, oh, man, okay, I can do this, I can do that. And so there was just one Sunday that you know, I felt moved to go to the you know, the front and just get saved. And so from that point on, of course I made friends and all that kind of stuff. And there was one guy, uh, a porter Losson, a minister Losson, and we became great, great friends. And he just talked talked me through it. He was a he was an older cat, and he just talked me through it. And I, you know, I thank God for him, you know what I mean, because he's a good cat. He's still doing what he's doing right now, and he's the perfect example of what you know, upstanding, you know, man should should be, you know what I mean. And so I've never seen any fault in him, you know what I mean. So if you're going to fall, not no fault. If you're going to follow. I mean, you're going to follow somebody. You got to follow somebody that's been the example of what you're you're striving to be. And so when I saw him and what he continued to do, because I was always apprehensible about anybody, I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, all y'all money, you're lying and all.
Speaker 3: That, like politicians.
Speaker 2: So when I saw that, I was like, this is somebody I can at least listen to, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: So you know, in my mind, he proved himself and so I continued to listen to him and I still talk to him to this day.
Speaker 3: You feel like he helped you out more to therapy, Yeah, absolutely, because trying to medicate you.
Speaker 1: Because when you're talking to somebody that's went through the same thing that you've went through, good point kill, all the kind of craziness and just all kinds of stuff that he's been through. Man, I ain't been through all the constant But if you can change, I know I can change.
Speaker 2: So that's what was was major for me. Man, That's what was major.
Speaker 3: You know. It was another thing that I noticed was you co signing your ex wife's new relationship. Absolutely, that's a grip, right, Professor griff Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I think at the end of the day, as an example as a parent, period, as a as a man, if you have kids, you want to extend.
Speaker 3: That to your kids. Why do we have to go to court? Why do we have to in the court.
Speaker 8: Look, as long as you're doing extra step kids, that's extra.
Speaker 3: Extra fun.
Speaker 2: And that's what I'm saying for us, Like it's a generational thing.
Speaker 1: Listen to me. Let me tell you something.
Speaker 3: How many like in my time, like we had.
Speaker 1: Family reunions, we had all that kind of stuff, the uncle and our uncles choke us up, we're doing bad in school and all.
Speaker 3: That kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: That kind of stuff really doesn't happen no more, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So we have to as grown men, have to extend that same courtesy to our kids and say, listen, everything always isn't going to be you know, perferb for whatever you might get the voice, you might go through, whatever you got to do, But this is how you do after that, that's how.
Speaker 3: This is how you make it right. This is the example that you set for your kids. That's what I do. Man, I'm not mad. I'm mad at myself. I fucked up. I cheated.
Speaker 1: I did what I wasn't supposed to do. You understand what I'm saying. So so so so at the end of the day, it ain't my it ain't. It ain't. I'm not.
Speaker 3: I shouldn't be mad at him for scooping up a good woman that you was too dumb to know that you had. That's my fault. Accept that, man, Accept.
Speaker 1: That, dude.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. Yo.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 3: It was one time I asked, I asked him to go on the boat. He was like, I ain't going to the boat with that, nigga.
Speaker 11: That You're not wrong for that. You're not wrong, That's what. That's a good thing about it. That's me, man, that's you know. I mean, I've always tried to extend that.
Speaker 3: Got to be in a boat. I love boats.
Speaker 1: I love boat.
Speaker 3: That sounds a little yeah.
Speaker 1: Besides that, is there anything you ever regret in your career?
Speaker 2: Never taking control of it from the beginning?
Speaker 3: That's it?
Speaker 1: Like, meaning you wish you to manage yourself from the beginning. Absolutely, How can you regret that you wouldn't know you were young?
Speaker 5: You early?
Speaker 3: Well, you said what I regret?
Speaker 2: What I regret like what I as where I am now, Like, damn if I knew then?
Speaker 3: What if you knew?
Speaker 1: I feel like I didn't know. Grit mostly is winning something that you could have actually done. But in that in that time period, you wouldn't have known any different. I agree with that, regretting you would have messed up.
Speaker 3: You were the messager that might have been manager your own self as a manager back then.
Speaker 1: Did you know you.
Speaker 3: Would have regretted be in your manager? Manipulate you right, you gotta learn to go through I keep you saying, keep saying with age coming wisdom.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 3: So yeah, you had to like you know, you know what I like? I go the bathroom of course, imbout to leave, Bothy all, I feel bad. I've had a twenty five year career. Favorite part of my career so I was being podcasting right now. It's me in nineteen ninety eight. What is your favorite part of your career? Like if it was one year, good Boys Down Too, or just whatever you want to say, I got you.
Speaker 1: I think it was probably the second album, second CD, because you know.
Speaker 2: They always think you can't do it twice.
Speaker 1: Right, So and I was scared, bro, I was very scared because when you're coming out with a song like Pony and I'll Do Anything, I'm Sorry, which was written by Missy and all that, that took me to a plateau. I was like two point five I think it was sales or whatever. So that's a very very hard, uh situation to mimic again on the second time. So I was very happy when So Anxious came out. I was very happy because I was like, that's it right there, because I did what's so differenterent uh. That was the leading single off one hundred genuine and so the Sony and all them was trying to cross me over and all that, and I was like, I don't want to lose my base.
Speaker 3: I even knew that then, you know, when he was asking me like.
Speaker 1: Did you know this? And did you I've always I don't even know what it is, like, I always saw it and I was like, y'all gonna mess me up, y'all going to mess me up.
Speaker 3: And so when So Anxious came out, I was like, that's that was what my moment was.
Speaker 1: I was like even even over Pony actually, because you don't even know what that is.
Speaker 3: You're just living in the moment.
Speaker 1: But after you experienced all that stuff generated by the uh the success of those moments. You then know if you pay attention, he's like, Okay, now I gotta, I gotta, I gotta make sure I do this again.
Speaker 3: So when uh So Anxious came out, that was one of those moments, right man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, this has been such a beautiful fuck man. I ain't gonna lie. We've been waiting for this for six years. We've been stopping your ass. Stop.
Speaker 3: We've been talking about it.
Speaker 1: Because we really sincerely, you know, this is what our show is about.
Speaker 2: Our show is I can't stand God for y'all, bro.
Speaker 3: I can't stand when people like you know, there's no Gramre in music that has more than ten years and they have a word washed up for them. Oh they call them season like rolling stones. All these motherfuckers still touring for fifteen thousand years. It's some niggas that come out there and just die right and they still support their ass and they yo come on. So this is the reason why they come on and other Gramas and music and we ship on our own, you know what I mean? And I hate that.
Speaker 1: I hate that, you know, you know what? So I hate that, man, I.
Speaker 3: Really I hate that. I really love to see when I see you guys on tour, I love to see it. I really like. I just got recent a chance to see NAS clan in Paris. I got lightly offered to get on stage, and I was just like, nah, I wanted to fan out and I did and I did. I notice footage and I don't.
Speaker 1: I want to give it up to my people and I want my people to understand that. And I went backstage say then I went to the of course I was with NAS.
Speaker 3: Of course people from Queens from the same damn the same place. So but I just I just loved to see the support and I just want us to get you said it earlier, like I think that that's what we have to do. Support please other like for real ladies, man, this is this is definitely one of the reasons because you're a legend. Man, thank you for I can thank you, brother King, and you're a good brother. And you know you aspire so many people. I try, I try, you do You aspire people constant basis. You make babies and you make other people make babies. You make So when you when you see Nick, can you ready hold on? Hold on? I'm gonna deal with you.
Speaker 1: You see everybody talking about how many now babies? Nick Cannon, what did you think about that?
Speaker 3: I told you not to do it.
Speaker 1: Oil yeah.
Speaker 3: And feeding toes no more, no more. But when you see that man you take his shot, you gotta take my shot. Okay, okay, all right, you just mixed that. That was yeah, you just mixed to that. Let's go, boy, let's the universe person that drinks to do that. My brother gonna have to pick me up there right when you see like you know what all and then you're like nigga because because they said just now recently that he has ten and after ten he was having to pay child's a board. Did you know that that a real thing? That shi it is on the block? Wait saying that it's heavywhere who wait? You're telling me he made he made an investment and his child support.
Speaker 1: I can't hear.
Speaker 3: No, it's all over the blogs.
Speaker 12: You don't.
Speaker 3: Nobody goes by what he says. Now, No, it's on the blogs though it's not. It's not him, it's not Paul story. He said, I don't know about taxes, the boy, I don't know about that.
Speaker 6: Nobody listened to this because I yes, No, I can't imagine number of kids where you.
Speaker 3: Don't have to pay for the kids.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't imagine that neither. But the story has been reported. He has been reported, and you got nine. Right, You're like, well, now that you mentioned it that all my kids are girl see robertson there out here your kids there, Roberts and Narrow our here he got something pregnant?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, Robert Narrow got he got one on the way. Well I got I'm still in the trench. Yeah, he's seventy nine. What's funny is I actually want more? That's all I mean? You got nine right. You would be the one to say you want more, get two more? Dominican? You must be Dominican. All my Dominican friends advocate for Max big family.
Speaker 1: So let's let's just count in the music business people.
Speaker 3: Who got over off.
Speaker 1: Has that been pirds? How many DMX Yeah, old dirty bastard.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah they can't Yeah, they can't get up there? How many?
Speaker 1: Jesus I didn't know that because it was only feet.
Speaker 3: Well it's still you know, bigger the NBA, because you're in those numbers. No, I'm about six. You got I said about seven, you got the other, Yeah you got more? Yeah but yeah yeah yeah, been outside, man. I can't thank you enough for my brother. I really really, really really enjoyed this thing. Well I really hold on. Let's ending with the shot. I got the shot. You want this right? No, I've been telling him to stop. Don't know. Everybody be trying to be nice to UFN like yeah, and then they hit it. But I really sincerely wanted to give you your flowers face to face man and man, what you have been done? Been doing? NBA got ten kids?
Speaker 1: Jesus is how old is he? He can't be twenty one with ten kids? No, outside he got he's he got all y'all beat then if he.
Speaker 3: Is, man, this makes God bless.
Speaker 1: God.
Speaker 3: Outside went outside that like said, calling, I respect that, my bad. I don't know, I don't know. Listen, but listen listen my brother, yo, listen. You are truly a legend. Thank you, icon. You are truly what young artists need to see because young artists are making disposable music, and you have made lifetime music. You have made global music. You have made music that every single race, color, creed can relate to. And it's standing in the test of time, I can still there and like that's why, Like you know, I did Loving Hip Hop and I did Marriage boot Can, and I always wanted to tell people like sometimes I just wanted to explore. And it's like, I know, that's the same thing about you. Like you didn't do reality show theater because you needed it. You did it because she was exercising, and I relate to that. But I relate to that from you because I knew you ain't need it. And I said, when you did it, I said.
Speaker 1: Let me, I like Loving hipp fuck with this ship, and yeah, I did it.
Speaker 3: I did one season. I'm a baut of there. I'm not going maybe I'm not coming.
Speaker 1: Back, so you know what I mean. But I love love it, but I love love but I just know what. I love marriage.
Speaker 3: I love Marriage Can, but I probably won't do it again. But it's okay because you got to have that experience, and I love that about you. I kind of follows you. And what I'm trying to tell you is you deserve these flowers. Thank you. You deserve everything you do. Yeah, anytime you want to come back, if you want to, if you want to promote your new s Carol.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely all day, anything, you anything, come here.
Speaker 3: You want to promote your Beijing line, we in, we in.
Speaker 9: We don't want you want company, tell you want. This is your house.
Speaker 3: Okay, you need to know that, and then we're gonna come to your podcast. We heard you got to pocket before we get about it. You want to about your podcast, We heard you gotta We're thinking about it. I'm not disciplined, like okay, you know, all right? Cool? Just in case if you need us.
Speaker 1: We will be there for you.
Speaker 6: Drink Champs is a drink Champs ll C production in association with Interval Presents hosts and executive producers n O r E and d j e f N from Interval Presents executive producers Alan Coy and Jake Kleinberg.
Speaker 3: Listen to Drink Champs on.
Speaker 1: Apple Podcast, Amazon Music, Spotify, Stitcher, or wherever you get your podcasts. Thanks for joining us for another episode of Drink Champs, hosted by Yours Truly, dj EFN and n O r E. Please make sure to follow us on all our socials that's at drink Champs across all platforms at the Real noriegon Ig at Noriega on Twitter. Mine is at Who's Crazy, on ig at dj e f N on Twitter, and most importantly, stay up to date with the latest releases, news and merch by going to drink Champs dot com