Speaker 1: It is Thursday, October second. Welcome everyone to this episode of Amy and TJ. This is a big episode for us because this is our first, I guess, first entrance into our list leading up to Halloween for our favorite Halloween movies that you might not have heard of or you might not have watched. We didn't want to do a countdown a series of our favorite horror movies that most people have watched. We were trying to find some movies that maybe you've looked at, you've passed by, you thought, I wonder what that is, and these are some of the best of the best to get you right into the Halloween spirit. We were trying to come up with a name for our series and I don't know, Teach, you weren't so into it.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, yeah, we're trying too hard. It was that didn't like it.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so we went. So we went. It was all women against one man full disclosure. But I happened to just say we're kind of going into the deep cuts of horror, and our producer Amy Sugarman was like, I love it. You get it the double on Tandra deep cuts cuts like cuts like a knife, and I loved it. She loved it. We all loved it. On the phone, the couple like, how many women were on the phone five You were like, eh, yeah, but anyway you lost I lost. It's called deep Cuts. The Amy and DJ's countdown to the best Halloween horror movies you might not have seen.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know what where she lost me? Amy Sugarman lost me when she when she said get it. Anytime somebody says something and he has to said get it because it's like that dad, get it, then if you have to explain it, then it is probably not have the way to go. She lost me?
Speaker 1: All right, Well it's it's called deep cuts, all right, Okay, so fine, drum roll coming in at number thirty. Hush.
Speaker 2: Now, how many people you think immediately horror movie Hush would say, oh yeah, I know that one. Even if you're a horror movie fan. Do you think a lot of people would know this movie.
Speaker 1: I don't know that many people have seen it, because if if you look at what it did in the box office, what its budget was, it's one of those sleeper hits that if you do see it, you think to yourself, where has this been all my life? This actually was produced and released in twenty sixteen. It's a horror slash drama rated are an hour and twenty seven minutes. I love horror movies because they almost always come in at under an hour and a half. It's such an easy, quick burst of fun. I love it. They're not they don't drag out usually.
Speaker 2: You know, it's some of these new ones. I remember Ciners for whatever reason, was two hours and fifteen minutes.
Speaker 1: We were nervous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great movie, obviously great movie. But yeah, you're right, some of these are. And even sometimes we see ones that are our fifteen hour twenty like, oh, perfect perfectly.
Speaker 1: That Justifootball doesn't have an hour and fifteen minutes to just take a fun roller coaster ride. That's how I look at it. But this actually, this movie, it might not be well known, it might not have been widely released, but it was highly reviewed ninety one percent on Rotten Tomatoes. And as we go through these lists, by the way, we're gonna have a horror movie for you each day. Not all of them are highly reviewed. This one happens to be.
Speaker 2: And also we should know. I mean I didn't I'm looking at this note you put together. I didn't know the score there until now this is a rarity for horror movies, especially a low budget one, not well known some not some big blockbuster. That is an incredible score for any movie. Yes, for a horror movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know. I actually felt validated. Oh yeah, sometimes I don't feel validated. I'm like, what did they Why would they say that this one? Actually, the consensus was pretty it was pretty uniform.
Speaker 2: The heart. You gotta help me one more time with the Rotten Tomatoes saying there's a critics score and an audience score.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's like a popcorn meter and then there's a critics meter.
Speaker 2: So what does that mean When I see a ninety one percent rotten?
Speaker 1: To me, that's the critics' Those are the critics. Yes, those are the critics. And I often like, if the critics score is really low, if I look and see that, the I think it's the popcorn meter or the audience review is much higher. I know it's probably a movie I'm going to like because they were looking at it too, you know, like, oh, what was the cudamantography? Like, well, no, I don't need it to be as high brow as sometimes critics were. And sometimes when critics really like a horror movie. I'm like, they tried too hard. I'm not into it. I want your basic thrills, scares, jump, scares, tension, I love all of that, but this one has all of that. The budget was just one million, the box office thirteen point six million, so hey, they were profitable. Yep. And the cast Kate Siegel, she plays Maddie, and then John Gallagher Junior plays the man, the serial killer in this And actually it was directed by Mike Flanagan, but he and Kate Siegel actually wrote it together, I believe. I don't know if they're still together, but they were together. So it was again a low budget kind of indie film, but my god, is it good. So we've got the synopsis for you. A deaf writer who retreated into the woods to live a solitary life must now fight for her life in silence when a masked killer appears in her window.
Speaker 2: Now that's I mean, that description is what it is. But folks, what you're seeing is a bizarre The whole time is a very tense cat and mouse game because you know that the woman can't hear anything happening around here, but you are the one who can't so you're screaming at the television or the movie screen at a woman who obviously can't hear you because it's just a movie. But then she can't hear you because she can't.
Speaker 1: Hear It's so funny you just said that, because I wrote we have a yat made the list, and what I wrote out almost directly actually mimics what you just said. I wrote it has all the elements of a great Cabin in the Woods thriller, complete with jump scares. You find yourself, I said, screaming at the TV because she can't the main character can't hear what's going on, but you can. You can hear it, you can see it, and you can see what the main character can't. And so it's so good at Bill creating and building real tension that continues throughout the entire movie. I would say, when I watched this movie, I could feel the tension in my body. And I believe I have seen this movie at least five times.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, at least. So we had it on again yesterday the past couple days and watching it again. And another cool element they have is that they actually put you in. They give you these little moments of experiencing what she's experiencing. By turning down the volume in the middle of the movie while something still action is going on, you get no audio, so you see and you feel what she's kind of experiencing. And even that we talked about this in the previous episode and setting this up in the classics, and while we love horror movies, you're immersed like this is an immersive experience, I would say, because those notes, you can see it, you can hear it, but then what you can't hear comes a part of the outport and the drama as well.
Speaker 1: I haven't seen a movie like this. They took the genre of Cabin in the Woods and this massed serial killer coming after you, and they upped it with that element of it. I thought it was really really cool cool the critics, this is the consensus. Rotten Tomatoes has like a critics consensus, and I loved what they said. Hush navigates the bloody waters of home invasion thrillers and incisive slashers for a contemporary horror puree. I thought that was so well written, and so that is why it made the list, because this is for us, It's become a classic. Twenty sixteen. I don't know if you can say it's a classic, but this is one of our go to horror movies when we don't know what to put on and we want to have a certain feel. But it's just this, It gives you this, this excitement. I love this movie. Nikki, my best friend, this is her favorite horror movie. She this is like her go to number one favorite horror movie that a lot of people don't know about it, you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, now that takes away from it a little bit for me.
Speaker 1: She plays it so much. I'm like, Nicky, we cannot watch, we cannot watch. Hush again, You're funny.
Speaker 2: Haha, I'm kidding.
Speaker 1: So we also want to go through and talk about who it's for, because not all horror movies are for everyone. Like certain ones you might not like certain ones you do. So this is who I think. We think this movie is for someone who loves being on the edge of their seats, anyone who likes that masked serial killer. This is a scenario that it feels like could happen in real life. So therefore it makes it extra scary, you know, because this is something that you could see any Honestly, the mask itself is unique. I haven't seen a mask like this one. It almost looks human like. You can see his expressions through the It's a white.
Speaker 2: Mask, and it's not by design scary. It's by use scary, right, It's not just as like a scary face there is just looks so plain and emotionless. As you see this guy doing some really horrific stuff, the face doesn't change from this emotionless, blank thing.
Speaker 1: And I'm not We're not going to give away any of the plots or any of the twists in any of these movies, but I will say one of the scariest moments for me is when she is trying to communicate with him through the window, saying you can leave. I can't see your face, you know, so you can leave, And she's riding it on the window, I believe, with lipstick, and he then looks at her and takes off the mask slowly. For me, that was one of the scariest moments.
Speaker 2: Okay, that will be the last thing we give away, is what she meant to say.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not saying or who dies or any of that, because the deaths are pretty spectacular, but that was.
Speaker 2: A wonderful high tension moment just ruined it for everybody. Nobody's going to listen to the rest of our episode if we're just gonna get.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's the last time. But I just would like to give you the idea of just how well this movie is. Crapper they know, they know how to scare that crap out of you. This one is just so scary. So who is this movie not for? What do you think, TJ?
Speaker 2: There is limited Gore's there's a couple of bad killings, a little violence, but in terms of horror movies, this one is not on the on the higher end, I guess of that type of violence. I think this is for folks who I think this is a nice dip into the water of people who want who like horror movies, not quite convinced of them, who are convinced that they are a certain thing or a certain way. This is a nice balance between a drama, a thriller, and a slasher because most of the time there's not a lot of dialogue. The moment is deaf, so there's just so much suspense in drama that's built up instead of just raw violence and attacking and death. I think this is one for folks who who don't want the gore, but you want the thrills, you want the scare, you want to be on the edge of your seat. This is a good stepping stone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, horror, that's a really good way to put it. This is a good entry movie. Like if you have dipped your toes in horror, you think you might not like it, This is a really good one. If you don't like all of that blood guts, I really that's a because you still get some killings which are fun and a little gory, but it's not too much. I definitely get turned off by too much blood and guts unless it's completely campy and it's funny. If it's not that I get, I don't like a lot of that. So this is actually perfect if you just like a thriller with a little bit of horror thrown in. I think this is a This is a good entry level horror movie if you'd like to start seeing if maybe this could be something you might like.
Speaker 2: These are masterful and I always give credit to these movie makers. There is masterful terror built with silence, doors opening, just him walking behind her and she can't hear, but we can see what's happening. There are creepy moments like oh my gosh, you can't They build tension in this movie really really yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like I almost exercised after I see this movie, because my whole body is like, oh on the like just absolutely flenched. Yes, okay, so when we come back, we're gonna tell you who this movie is not for, what mood you should be in, and we actually even offer some do's and don'ts with food and snack and drink pairings with some of our movies, and we'll tell you where you can watch Hush. Welcome back to our new series Deep Cuts, TJ's favorite favorite name of the series.
Speaker 2: Ever, It's gonna grow me all right.
Speaker 1: Coming in at number thirty, we are talking about the movie Hush, and we told you who should watch this movie, what kind of movie it is, and who might like it. But we also have some warnings for who this might not be for. And here's what I think, and I'll get your take too, Babe. I think that if you're in a cabin or a home alone in the woods, or if you don't own blinds or curtains, I wouldn't suggest you watch this movie by yourself.
Speaker 2: This is not for someone in isolation. It's not you shouldn't. It'll creep you out. I don't like being alone in the woods kind of a thing. I hate that set up anyway. But if this will make you, every little click you here around the house, every little noise, every little wind, you're gonna think something's up. And this is not. And again, generally horror movies, I think you should watch with someone. This one is specific. You should not be alone with this one.
Speaker 1: I agree, because I actually so I have. I don't know if anyone has had a home where you feel like you're isolated enough that you don't need blinds or curtains, which is an amazing thing. But if you have one of those setups, I'm telling you this movie is going to perpetually freak you out. It will stay with you. You will look at night outside and you'll see your own reflection, and you'll think, maybe you see a masked man. You might see the man. I guess that's what he's called in this movie. He's referenced as a serial killer. I believe that people who have done deep studies on this movie say he had thirteen notches on his crossbow. That is his weapon of choice, just in case you needed to know. So he's just I guess they don't really make specific reference to him, but people who have studied the movie believe that he had thirteen kills before he went and then tried to and attempts to get in and murder Maddie, who is the star of the show. And wow, it's just it the tension. It's a cat and mouse game. It's so so good. So yes, if you're alone, if you don't have blinds or windows, please please don't watch this movie. What mood should you be in to watch this movie? Because you know, we get you know, we have movis we want a horror comedy? Do we want a rom com horror? Do we want a thriller or a slasher? What mood should you be in to watch this one?
Speaker 2: I think this is You should treat it as an event. You should treat it as not just something I'm going to have on in the background or something on a try. You should say, hey, tonight, let's check out this movie. We have a plan be here at this time. We're going to order this food and get set up to pay attention to it. It's that kind of it's an event movie, and that you need to turn the lights off, You need to cuddle up, you need to have the blanket, you need to do all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think you just need to be ready to be scared, if you want to be scared, if you want to be thrilled, if you want to be in that high adrenaline Oh my god, what's going to happen next mood? This is your movie? Hush all right, food snack, drink pairing. Here's what I think I want to get your take. My suggestion would be don't have a drink in your hand because there are several jump scares, and you have been with me. When I've had a drink in my hand and I get scared, I will actually, unfortunately toss the drink and it will go everywhere that has happened. So that would be one warning for you. I also think nothing fizzy and nothing spicy, because you'll get acid free flux from the anxiety that's already building in your body. You should keep it like simple, have a coaster for your drink, drink sparingly, and maybe just keep the food to just something nice and easy on your stomach.
Speaker 2: Can you eat while watching this movie because some people like to dine and watch movie. Even theaters, you can get dinner while you're watching a movie. Is this a movie you want to be eating? Probably not, okay.
Speaker 1: I actually think you won't want to eat because you'll be so nervous the whole time.
Speaker 2: This for me, is a popcorn movie. This is one that yes, you can eat, but this is a snack movie and enjoy. Obviously popcorn goes with most movies, but this is one in particular. You want that. You want to be settled, and you want to hang onto every single thing that happens because there's a lot of texting. You need to read what's happening. You have to feel attention. You need to sit down and pay attention to this movie. Get everything in front of you gives what you want right next to you, use the bathroom, get your favorite throw.
Speaker 1: I love that because you know what, I can't stand when people and look we all get into it. But I would say, please put your phone down because, like you pointed out, you don't have as much dialogue. So watching this movie is really important that you're paying attention to everything on the screen because you will miss really awesome parts about this movie. If you're just trying to listen, you know, people kind of are you know, they're they're texting, they're looking at Instagram whatever, TikTok, and they're not and they're kind of looking up when the action happens. Don't do that with this movie. Put the phone down, cuddle up with your favorite person and watch and you will enjoy. And where can you watch? Amazon Prime? Right now? It switched around. It was on Netflix for the longest time and then when it went away, and that was like my go to to put it on. I was like, where did it go? Where did it go? Right now, it's on Amazon Prime. We just actually rewatched it again yesterday.
Speaker 2: Well, Prime users, you don't have to purchase it.
Speaker 1: Well no, yeah, but I think you would maybe if you're not an Amazon Prime member.
Speaker 2: Okay, but Prime.
Speaker 1: If you are an Amazon Prime member, it's free. It comes with your subscription. But there are plenty of other places you can purchase it, obviously Apple TV.
Speaker 2: And it's worth it. We are recommending, and it is worth it. We are telling you to purchase it if you have to.
Speaker 1: Wow, you are telling people to do that because you are not a big purchase movie person.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I'm not purchased. I'm I'm still my sting three ninety nine is too much. No, we're not doing that. All this stuff streaming, we're going okay, let's not get into that. But yes, folks, you need to check this one out. We highly recommend it, all right.
Speaker 1: We can't wait to hear what you think about Hush. We love it. It's number thirty on our list. We will have a movie for you every single day leading up to Halloween, just so that you can hopefully enjoy these horror movies as much as we have. And with that, I made roboch alongside TJ. Holmes. Thanks for listening.