Speaker 1: Guys, welcome back to look back at it in today's guests. I'm actually super excited to have today's guest because i am just.
Speaker 2: A huge fan.
Speaker 1: Yes, we have called Jones in the building, producer, writer, actor. You made no call from his work on The Boon Dogs. You also made no call from his work as a writer and producer on The Last O G also Black Dynamite, which is a classic in my opinion. You just made no call from bumping into him out in the streets. Carl Jones, thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 3: Ohra wait, Carl, being do you do you do you corroborate the out in the streets allegations that.
Speaker 4: You just received?
Speaker 5: Wait the work she said?
Speaker 3: You know you might see him out in the streets. You be out in the streets like that.
Speaker 4: I'm just checking.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 3: Sometimes people be like, oh, I'm not really out in the streets, but okay, I'll take it.
Speaker 6: But you out here now, I'm in I'm in these anime streets, I'm in these I'm in these animated streets, in these comedy streets.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, Carls outside all right.
Speaker 1: The year you chose was two thousand in two, I like, so it's kind of start with the guests and kind of just get a sense of who you were in two thousand and two. Where are you in life? Like, how old are you? What are you doing? Why is this year particularly stood out to you?
Speaker 6: So I'll say I was young. I was really young, but I was also there was a lot of crazy things happening this year. You know, it was like a turning point for me.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 6: So I was heavily, heavily, heavily into the bootleg movie game, right right, So I was. I was literally like I was like the Tony of the bootleg movies. I was selling, I had, I had Nigga's working for me and sh I was. I was doing it. I was doing it big. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 5: I want to get my age. Let's just say I was. I was young. I was. I was. I was on my own crib, you know what I mean. Life was life and at the time, but.
Speaker 2: You had a wife at this time, I did have a wife. You're supporting a family on bootleg movies.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, that was yeh th in a couple of watches and CDs and stuff like that.
Speaker 5: So you were, you.
Speaker 3: Were in the Barbershop, Quintessential c D d v d S, CDs, DVDs.
Speaker 5: That was that was you. I was in the streets.
Speaker 4: Okay, I understand what's right. You've been in these streets, the streets.
Speaker 2: I sold you a nice little techno morey.
Speaker 4: We got got.
Speaker 3: Okay, sorry, So we were so, you know, most of us are familiar with the bootleg industry. I will ask what was the how would you measure, on a scale of one to ten, the quality of your bootleg movie? Because there's a there's a there's a there's a legger of scale there, let's talk bootlegs.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's funny. It's funny you mentioned that, right, because I got a funny story about that. So I actually thought my quality.
Speaker 5: Was really really good.
Speaker 6: But they bootleg movie, so it's only so good good it's gonna be. But but there was a moment, and this was kind of a turning point for me also, which kind of sent me there, you know, you know, pursuing my career goals because I actually almost got shot over a bootleg movie.
Speaker 5: Okay, you know what I'm saying, it over the quality of it.
Speaker 6: So I was so originally from Fairville, North Carolina, right, and but I was at the time. I was in Greensboro, North Carolina, and I used to have this van and we used to pull.
Speaker 5: Up, me and my home, me and my homie.
Speaker 6: We used to pull up at this It was like a convenience store that was right behind the projects, right, so like the clubs were let out around two o'clock in the morning, and so you get a lot of traffic come through. So we were post up and we have a movie and stuff. So this guy came through right and he was he brought a movie back and never forget because it was an old movie. It was like it was like I was, it was Flubber. It was it was like because you know I we keep like the kids movies.
Speaker 4: He was, he was. He was doing Happiness Child. That's guy. I need this guy.
Speaker 1: I did a picture of a guy who comes back pissed off about flubber.
Speaker 6: Long white tea grills. You know what I'm saying, bag baggy, baggy echo jeans.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, Wait a minute, did you see a flubber to a member of crime mob?
Speaker 4: Is that what happened?
Speaker 5: It had to be so.
Speaker 6: But he so he walks up to me and he's like he was like, yo, bro, he was like, I want I want to get my money back. He was like, you know this movie. He's watching this movie with my daughter, and like a nigga gets up in the middle of the movie and walks in front, walks in front of the screen.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 6: So I was like, well, when you go to a real movie theater, if the nigga gets up and walks in front of you, you can't get your money back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but in a real movie theater, your daughter's not going, daddy, what's your off?
Speaker 3: And that person I can't visibly say, excuse me, excuse me, excuse me, gotta go to the bathroom.
Speaker 4: And then they got to come back from the bathroom too.
Speaker 1: This was this was this guy trying to like fix things with his fucking family.
Speaker 2: You do know that. He was like he was on the outs.
Speaker 4: Of this family shared custody and ship.
Speaker 2: He's like, what you want, She's like, all I want to do is se flupper.
Speaker 1: He's like, I can't do this this thing.
Speaker 4: Just let me go get a hair cut real quick school.
Speaker 2: In the last six months, I.
Speaker 1: May not have paid an ounce of child support, but I can come through.
Speaker 4: I can go get you fluvering. You had one job, Carl, one job, one job.
Speaker 2: Kid taking from him, baby.
Speaker 4: She said, she said, I'm never going tonber Daddy's house ever again. It's all cars.
Speaker 5: His whole life was down here.
Speaker 6: So so anyways, I thought it was at the time, I thought it was a clever comeback ship. He didn't so like, he actually leaves pissed off and he comes back through with a in a car with a bunch of niggas in also fit that same description. And he's on the passenger seat. He has this arm on the window, and this arm I can't see. So I immediately got the sense that something bad was going to happen. So me and my boyhood, you know, we were standing in front of my band, and as soon as I saw the car start creeping up, I just told him to hit the hit the floor. And as soon as he as soon as we hit the ground, he pulled out a gun and just started shooting. He shot the windows of my band right, you know, and then he like sped off down the street, and my boyhood was like, yo, let's go get the niggas.
Speaker 5: I'm like about the like bruy, I like that.
Speaker 1: Everybody was willing to die for this DV I was about to say, you everybody war.
Speaker 2: Go to war.
Speaker 3: And I'm wondering, like, do you think the creator is a flubber ever imagined in a million years that this that this movie would cause a shootout in I don't think they ever wants everyone's mind.
Speaker 1: And in the words of Boon Dogs, would cause a nigga moment.
Speaker 4: All that is such a funny story.
Speaker 6: Because you know, I think it's about principal with niggas. You know, it's principal my daughter.
Speaker 4: My daughter was upset she didn'tet to see the movie that she wanted to.
Speaker 1: It's also when you're already like half ass and stuff like like like like.
Speaker 2: Black people, you know, we're we're a culture of.
Speaker 1: Cutting corners sometimes and when you're always kind of half fashion a little bit, it's like you already kind of got that that level of shade more.
Speaker 2: You're like, I couldn't just go buy flubber.
Speaker 4: I couldn't just go to the.
Speaker 2: I already had to do it in sway. I already had to make a deal out of the back of a van.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, now did you put it like that?
Speaker 6: Definitely help It definitely helps me understand why he was so mad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know so as far as so so Carl.
Speaker 3: You when it comes to like these DVDs, were you responsible yourself for going into the theater and having had that question, or were you getting.
Speaker 4: This distributed from.
Speaker 3: Somebody like African?
Speaker 1: Are you going to the African hub in the African Whitehouse. You're getting them from the African hub. So you the African is a supplier. You going, You're getting your little distribution supply for your market.
Speaker 5: Uh huh bingo.
Speaker 6: Exactly exactly happened, and so and basically, I mean I didn't really know how to get started because well, when I first started, I was making my own.
Speaker 5: So I went to reticenter.
Speaker 6: And I got a bunch of I got a bunch of I got a bunch of VCRs, and I was just making my own.
Speaker 2: And the same wife is with you now. It was with you there.
Speaker 5: Yeah no no, no, no no no, we're together now.
Speaker 4: That slubber shootout. She was like, I got.
Speaker 3: As, I don't know what you got going on over here to be let's make a little I knew, I knew when we met. I knew when we met. I said, I like a nigga with some hustle, but not like this. But this is getting dangerous.
Speaker 4: Oh man, good good luck, good luck.
Speaker 2: Got a bluing d.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because she gotta tell that story too.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 6: I'm like, I'm like, I need to be selling coked like this is crazy risk.
Speaker 2: The risk had it up?
Speaker 1: Oh man, So you were making the like so you're just recording stuff off TV?
Speaker 5: Now, So I was I had I had actually had an African connect in Harlem. I was literally I was literally.
Speaker 6: Driving nine hours from from North Carolina to New York and back sometimes. I mean I would literally pick up movies and come back and so and it was it was one six it was around the one sixteenth and Linux area where like this, they basically had this whole Now I'm about the now, about the but what's over now?
Speaker 5: I guess I could expose them. They either did.
Speaker 2: Movies by stealing them from.
Speaker 5: Yeah right, so way more respect to projects.
Speaker 6: But under the projects they had like a whole underground operation. The ship was crazy like they so they took me. They took me down, you know, underneath the building one time.
Speaker 1: Don't tell us too much because there's definitely another operation under those projects. We don't know what it is. But the operation doesn't just stop, it just switches. So there's deitely something going on under those projects.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so we were so we were copying for about like maybe two dollars a piece and were selling them at ten dollars.
Speaker 5: But two thousand and two was.
Speaker 6: Right around the age of what you know, digital started taking over, so like the game started right the game started changing it. So I was catching niggas on the street selling DVDs now for like you know, like shit, like they were something like two two for ten, and they eventually it was like two for five, and I'm like, you know what I'm saying, it got crazy.
Speaker 2: You could get you could get four for fifteen.
Speaker 5: See yeah, joints and if you found.
Speaker 1: The right DVD dude, you could get the ones with the year consideration on them, and those was just.
Speaker 4: Like the f C.
Speaker 1: Get the fy C and those was the ones you wanted, like get that.
Speaker 3: Now niggas are in the voting guild, what I'm saying, making decisions. You know, I'm often curious like about how influential the bootleg industry could have been, especially to black films, Like if like if if the bootleg industry had.
Speaker 4: Any bearing on Oscars.
Speaker 3: We could have gotten like paid in for nominated, We could have gotten like official nominated, we could have got Brown Sugar nominated. But those numbers, honestly, I think there was there's a there's an argument to be made that bootleg numbers should count towards box office.
Speaker 1: But you think about it, like, are no different now than like Spotify numbers? Yeah, like a streaming number, you know what I'm saying. Yeah, I remember when I first got my f y c's when I.
Speaker 2: First was like, my first thought was like I could probably.
Speaker 3: When I first got I was literally when I first got mine, I was literally sending them to my family.
Speaker 2: I was like, you know, I could probably get get little money off enjoy it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Carl, what would you say if you could, if you could like recollect this far back, Like, what would you say was your most bootlegged film?
Speaker 4: But was the most popular of these?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Moving he had like there was some big movies out in two thousand and two.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think I think it was, oh, in two thousand and two. I don't know about two thousand.
Speaker 4: Or in general.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but in general I got the hook up that which.
Speaker 3: Was literally what you were doing, and that was master P.
Speaker 2: Correct, you I got that master P. Yeah, that was a very popular movie.
Speaker 3: The early two thousands was really a big moment for rappers becoming actors. Oh, all about the Benjamin's as well. I mean Ice Cube talk about a career trajectory, like literally went from n w A to being everybody's following.
Speaker 1: What we got Cube as early as Boys in the Hood, you know, like Cubes turns actor Boys in the Hood. I think from then on where we have ice QB.
Speaker 3: Carl Have you ever had any Have you ever had any like encounters are running with somebody who's movie you bootleggs back in the day.
Speaker 6: I mean it's funny because I know a lot of them and work with them now, but I don't I don't really talk about this life of you know, I don't know how you saw how their paychecks were affected.
Speaker 3: You saw that little government disclaimer to beginning the meal, was like, I don't know who's doing all of that. Couldn't be me, that's right, y'all bootlegging in here, but not.
Speaker 5: Right. It is kind of surreal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're like a reverse Ryan Coogler.
Speaker 3: Right, That isn't astute observation. Observation from the industry that is now giving you the lifestyle that you've always wanted. You said, I will not have a regular job, no matter I will. I will take from this industry before I ever do anything else. And I respect that that.
Speaker 5: It's not brilliant. That is brilliant.
Speaker 6: But but Yo, But what's funny about it is because I used to get movies in so fast, and there was always new stuff coming out so often, I've never really got a chance to watch them all.
Speaker 5: So I would literally look at the.
Speaker 6: Picture or I would read some of the description on the back, and I was pitching these movies in the streets like like I like I knew what I was talking about, not knowing that when I worked in this business. Actually it helped, like you know what I'm saying, Like my tools got really really nice with pitching because I was pitching it.
Speaker 5: I didn't even watch.
Speaker 1: No, you got to understand the flubber is a magical substance.
Speaker 4: Not yours, like doctor Umar.
Speaker 2: That Nigga didn't even want to watch. Flubberd actually something from a baby girl.
Speaker 6: Tailor the pitch to whoever you pay your tailor, the pitch to whoever you're talking to I'm.
Speaker 3: So happy you were able to avoid the government being involved in your hustle.
Speaker 5: I'm so happy I didn't. I didn't actually not only did.
Speaker 4: Just did the streets come for you?
Speaker 2: But the justice is the Wow, you're living the life of a real criminal.
Speaker 6: What the time the movie industry was like really trying to like clamp down on it. Yeah, so like I had, like the fans, I had a couple of runners.
Speaker 1: With the wall, just like the woman drugs kind of feels like an attack on and I want to hear this, but just like the war Dukes, it kind of feels like an attack on black people specifically because it's like movie industry, how much money are you really losing from niggas.
Speaker 3: Truly, especially if they're buying black movies. I only really knew black movies.
Speaker 1: You don't know a lot of white people that were participating in this behavior.
Speaker 4: Like did you blue leg Monster's ball?
Speaker 5: I doubt it.
Speaker 4: Is naked?
Speaker 3: Okay, you got that scene for niggas got.
Speaker 1: Halle Berry's titties was out. Niggas is buying that just for that. Karl was telling that ship and telling them where the titty was. She's coming at.
Speaker 4: Right here at.
Speaker 3: Fifty four fifty five. That's that's when the titties cover you. You you made sure that you made sure that niggas heads was not in the way of the titty I met Niggas re seated for that.
Speaker 4: Niggas was seated for that. Get up any other moment during the morning.
Speaker 1: Really, what the problem is that Flubber is such a low value movie that the Africans didn't even care.
Speaker 2: They saw the head. They was like, nobody's getting Flubber and they just moved right past it. But Mister's ball, They're gonna make sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, in front of the Teddies.
Speaker 2: Cracked down on you.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So how I found this out was I came back from New York one time, had a van full of stuff, and it was like two in the morning.
Speaker 5: I pulled up.
Speaker 6: You know, my wife was sleep or whatever, and I was just like, yo, you know, I got to oh, I had to run to the store to get some pampers or something, I believe, And so I didn't unpack the stuff from the van.
Speaker 5: I just went to the store.
Speaker 6: I didn't know they was watching me, so I went so yeah, So so I went around the corner to the store in her car Right.
Speaker 5: But when I came back, she was in the house.
Speaker 6: With the face. They was in the house. There was confiscating every single.
Speaker 5: Movie that I just want you.
Speaker 6: They got everything from the van and any any movie I had in the house, even if it was your family vacation.
Speaker 5: If it was they took every single video tape DVD.
Speaker 2: You can't be trusted with no video images.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all your family, all your family memory memories.
Speaker 4: This shit is under investigation.
Speaker 3: Also, don't be don't be a Disney that's trademark, that's that's copyright first in the Disney world.
Speaker 2: She just had him in the house, bro, She like the mother from Blow. She just let him in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that was the thing.
Speaker 6: And I was like, but you know, she didn't come from that element, so she didn't really you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: She just like they knocked, they told it, open the door, and she did. She didn't know that there was a whole ring right right right.
Speaker 6: So And there was another time I was at a comic book shop, believe it or not, in Greensboro, North Carolina. I swear to you, I'm sitting, I'm standing, I'm standing at the comic book rack, and I'm looking at a book and this this white dude and just playing clothes. He steps next to me and he's like, so, what kind of movies you got? And that's the first I'm thinking he's just a customer. So I'm like, I'm like, you know what I mean, like so so, But I started asking some questions and I realized.
Speaker 4: It's a sting operation, exactly exactly and so and so.
Speaker 6: But it was too late. He already took everything. He took everything I had in the car. And then I just started realizing like, okay, they're just keeping a close.
Speaker 5: Eye on me. So yeah, yeah, you know what I mean. I needed to stop.
Speaker 1: Making government waste money on that's a whole sting operation you gotta go through to do this.
Speaker 3: Because I was gonna somewhere I was going to ask if you had ever sold to a white person, like any bootleg copies of the movies and stuff like that. But then you just answer my question, and that turned out to be to your demise.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, we used.
Speaker 6: To get stopped because on the New Jersey Turnpike we could stop, uh, you know a few times, and like the troopers would just take movies and leave.
Speaker 5: They wouldn't even arrest us or writers.
Speaker 6: So they would just be like, what you got, you know what I'm saying, take a bunch of movies and let us go.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: I was like, this is a good thing to be a staate tube where you come home with like a like DVD, some microwaves, half a yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, get whatever you want, money you want.
Speaker 2: Five thousand, yeah.
Speaker 4: Baby, we don't got to worry about it.
Speaker 5: For the week.
Speaker 4: I got everything we need.
Speaker 3: A bus and now later it's just like, yeah, you're.
Speaker 4: Right, thoughts man. There was so much.
Speaker 3: There were so many other things the government really should have been preoccupied with absolutely instead of Carl flipping barbershop.
Speaker 2: We had, right, it was a year of a lot going on.
Speaker 1: I don't know how much you remember about this year, but you know, we we had our research and dig deep and we were pulling some stuff that we felt was super interesting to us. I know, I mean, the Homeland Security Act gets dropped in two thousand and two, and here we are now.
Speaker 4: Here we are now and here we are now you.
Speaker 5: Know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Bush set this thing in emotion and now and now we're here. But so I'm trying to think, like, could we have as a as a people, we haven't been able to transport the proper amount of lotion since two thousand and two. I didn't like it had been that long that we had to get used to that.
Speaker 2: I guess this is.
Speaker 4: Just like months shy of September eleventh.
Speaker 3: So this was like you know, you know, once a big, once a big terrorist attack like that happens. Truly, this was like the altering of how we lived our life. Yeah, we remember the color, the color system we were on.
Speaker 4: Like red.
Speaker 1: We was all ready for many and then it feels like the towers came down and then like the next day they were like, y'all, don't get to have lotion, and it was like I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't even know the connection.
Speaker 3: Get on the plane as everybody on the plane, ashy.
Speaker 1: Nobody used lotion in these attacks. Nobody used lotion.
Speaker 2: Taking the lotion.
Speaker 3: Throat dry, no water, no water, no water bottles, throat dry.
Speaker 1: And we still gotten our ship back. Like you go to Europe, they'll just scan your bottle. You put it in this machine and they scan it and they we just got our shoes and they take them and they go, we just got our shoes.
Speaker 5: Bro.
Speaker 2: We still can't drink nothing.
Speaker 4: They can't drink nothing.
Speaker 2: You can't even bring a certain amount of soup. If the soup.
Speaker 1: They'll get that soup from. You don't funk around trying and bring no childer through.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 3: It's I'd say that though, Like, and tell me if you agree with this, Carl, Like, I think that in the age of Trump, there is a romanticism, romanticization all of the things that George because back then we were like, George Brush Bush is the most terrible, idiotic, numb nut ass, you know, fucking dummy that we've ever had in office.
Speaker 4: And now we're looking at Bush.
Speaker 3: I mean I watched George Bush interviews like we could have we we used to have it all.
Speaker 2: But I'm back he was not that bad, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, you don't the devil on my shoulder and the Angel and my shoulders are both saying kind of the same thing, right right, I.
Speaker 5: Mean, I mean, yeah, I mean I do. I mean, I mean, you know, Bush is definitely a funnier president. I mean, he definitely gave us a lot more.
Speaker 6: I mean Trump is like, like there's a lot of it's weird because it's like he does a lot of crazy shit and some things you would laugh at if it wasn't real, it wasn't really you know, you know, but but Bush was Bush was just kind of more idiotic and would say a lot of crazy things. But I would say this, I think from nine to eleven up up until today, I personally, I feel like losing the patriarch patriarch was something. I feel like this's been in the works for a while, and I feel like we're seeing the continuation of that play out because I do believe that this is, at the end of the day, about ultimately having all the power that.
Speaker 5: You can possibly have over the entire world.
Speaker 6: So I think if it's many of these opportunities to you know, I mean, yeah, you were moving, you were removing people's civil liberties and rights and things like that, but that comes with fear, and that fear is attached to other moves that they're trying to make.
Speaker 5: So I do feel like a lot of times.
Speaker 6: You're getting like a you know, you're getting like a you a problem, a reaction and a solution type of formula that they that they've been using for years and now we're just saying it reach a peak.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I mean, I would say, like George Bush is like John Candy and Donald Trump is like Andrew Dice Clay, you know what I mean. Like George is like it's like good, wacky fun and it's like, ah, this guy is kind.
Speaker 2: Of a mess. And then then like Trump is like fuck Spanish people, you know what.
Speaker 3: You like, It's vindiculous with no real like understanding of like actual laws he has, Like at least George Bush, Yeah, he was an uneducated fool, but like he kind of like he's still at a certainly there was a degree of the quorum and respect he was.
Speaker 2: He was raised to He.
Speaker 1: Was raised to be a politician. He came from a little sense about like what stuff was. And Trump is like straight off the.
Speaker 2: Street of quick Years in that world.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm not saying he's poor, but like in that realm, he's kind of like a just a hood, you know what.
Speaker 3: You know what I would say in Carl's case too, if we were to flip these administrations based on the time periods that they were in Trump's Trump's America in two thousand and two, you would not have had the fairs at your door knocking at your dove for movies. You know what I'm saying, because there's a law there's a lawlessness attached to Trump's.
Speaker 4: America, where like no, he don't got time for that, I ain't got time for a Carl.
Speaker 3: You know that department don't even exist the movie the movies, the movie like crack Down that don't.
Speaker 1: Even exist, and trying if you were Venezuela, yeah, no, d.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was you gotta go, oh god, oh my god. Oh but yeah, I mean George Bush was doing a lot. I mean it was also the child hind and look at what we've had to deal with that.
Speaker 2: I feel I feel very left behind.
Speaker 4: You do, I guess I feel like there's a lot that I should know that I just simply do not.
Speaker 1: But it's so it's so interesting that that at that point, you know, that's where kind of even when you do there was like Bush Trump comparisons. It's like Bush is like, hey, we gotta educate every kid.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: His approach to it was not good.
Speaker 1: The testing and like this is the way we're gonna go about it is like wow. But then Trump's like burn the books and I don't give a fuck what they know.
Speaker 2: I don't care what information.
Speaker 4: Black and white history.
Speaker 3: History honestly, fu history, Like I don't give a burn all these books. They don't have to know how to count, they don't know how to read. TikTok, teach thee.
Speaker 5: He is here for the educated.
Speaker 3: He is I want everybody to be just as ugly and dumb as I am. It's literally, you know that is wild.
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 1: I do remember though, like being in school in the testing stuff like kicking and and like the exit test, and it's like you can't even get out of school.
Speaker 2: That was not the case.
Speaker 1: At one point you could graduate without like passing some like national tests. And then was like nah, like you can't even get out of here. I remember that booming over me. I remember being like, dude, I've already been kept back once.
Speaker 2: I don't got I got to make it out before this test hit.
Speaker 5: I mean it was.
Speaker 1: Because I got kept back in high school. And I remember it was like a year it was coming, and I was like, if I get kept back again, I'm fussed.
Speaker 2: I gotta get out.
Speaker 4: I got to apply to my stuff.
Speaker 1: I got I gotta I gotta start doing my homework.
Speaker 3: Well, I did see someone post a couple of days ago and It made me laugh really loud. Someone did like a tweet and they said, you know, the problem with society today is the fact that the group A and the group B people are forced to intermingle socially. Now, remember back in the day, you were like group A or group group one, group two, And you know what, there's some validity to that Statementody, we all interacting and working the same jobs and ship and now, and it didn't used.
Speaker 5: To be that way.
Speaker 4: Group two was always because with groups, I gotta keep it real.
Speaker 3: One time I got put in group two and I was like, oh, it's it's ghetto over here. I gotta get I know, I know, I read didn't count faster than this, just how capitalism starts. That's exactly how capitalism starts.
Speaker 1: And I got kept bad because I didn't have enough points since in something.
Speaker 2: But I never got put in like the lower group.
Speaker 4: Sure you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You would watch that group move.
Speaker 4: And you knew, you knew once you started being around.
Speaker 2: They were like, we're not tracking students, but it was like, this isru.
Speaker 4: I'm sitting with the motherfuckers who are finger and that doesn't.
Speaker 2: Feel This classroom looks a little suss We had a.
Speaker 6: We had a school that was like for like bad kids, like you know or whatever, like and you know, and yeah, it was one of those things. And I ended up having to go to that school at some point in high school. Right, But it was crazy because they should have had it was like anybody who had any kind of problems in school went there and and and so I'm now there with people that actually brought guns to school and maybe actually stabbed somebody.
Speaker 2: And they don't know that you're just a low level boot like that's where you life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you shouldn't be in the same class to do who was getting ready to shoot you up? At Floppers?
Speaker 2: What you're saying, right, eventually sell something.
Speaker 4: And that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Group ain't group B.
Speaker 3: Y'all were forced to go to the same class at some point, and y'all were not supposed to happen.
Speaker 4: I was not supposed to open that.
Speaker 2: They're all going to the same African though, Like you go to the left for the cooke, you come to the right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh man, stupid, what would you say? What would you say for you? Sam?
Speaker 1: Was?
Speaker 4: Because how old were you?
Speaker 5: Karl?
Speaker 2: He doesn't want to tell us.
Speaker 4: He wont he doesn't want to give away.
Speaker 1: To give it away, we'll google Hollywood, Carl Over here, Go Go, and will announce it on the pod.
Speaker 4: But okay, we then, Sam, I will tell the truth.
Speaker 2: I'm unashamed.
Speaker 5: Who were you?
Speaker 2: I two thousand two, I am twenty. I'm twenty years old.
Speaker 5: Drink.
Speaker 2: Just can't drink, but I'm drinking, but you drinking.
Speaker 5: A true.
Speaker 2: I can't drink, but I am drinking.
Speaker 5: Drink drinking.
Speaker 1: I'm living, I'm living in Boston, Still hang out with my friends. We used to like do this thing called pizza and smearing off nights when we'd get smearing off ice and we'd get pizza and we'd get drunk off smearing off ice, which.
Speaker 4: Is wild to do.
Speaker 1: To actually get truly fucked up off ice takes a lot of smell off ice. But we would drink tons of smell of ice, eat pizza, watch movies. There was this place we would go play pool, and I didn't know how to play pool, but it was just about the hang.
Speaker 2: I still don't know how to play pool. I was sucking dicks.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, yep, I was okay, I was okay, skill level oh talking about it, I had a man.
Speaker 1: I had me a man, Honey, I you know what I do a joke where I said I'm not I was not good at it, but I don't.
Speaker 2: I think I was good at I think I was.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 1: I was decent because I would suck dick, Like how would I want my dick sucked? So I would think about that.
Speaker 3: So you were second with being like a gay lesbian. I was just like, well, treat people how you want to be.
Speaker 2: If I was.
Speaker 1: Like straight, life was just me like vicariously living through my boyfriend. It was very weird, like he would like I would like dress him because I felt like he didn't know how to wear ship. But I realized I was just dressing him how I wanted to dress, Like I'm like, no, get this, get this, that's fly that looks better, Like that looks crazy to do this, and it's like this is just all like stuff I want to wear. And I realized I had this moment where I realized, like something is off because I remember that he was like he was very into Beyonce and at one point like.
Speaker 2: He wanted like like not like not like I love Beyonce, like I think she's hot Beyonce.
Speaker 4: That not like Beyonce.
Speaker 2: He's still straight out. Don't don't trying to make everyone get Oh my god, we're not doing that trying to make everyone get that.
Speaker 1: I don't care if he is gay, but I don't think he's gay. We're not gonna mismirch this man's name in that way. But he thought Beyonce was very attractive. And I remember one day he was talking ship and he was feeling himself. And this is after my makeover, by the way, I had to completely make this dude over.
Speaker 2: I made him hot. He was not hot. I saw the potential.
Speaker 1: He was out here changing men, yes, because I saw the potential, but I was like, you don't know what to do with yourself.
Speaker 2: But it was also me like he was like my avatar.
Speaker 4: I was like, I'm gonna you were dressing him how you.
Speaker 2: And he was feeling him so and he was like, yeah, I could. I could pull Beyonce. And my first thought was like, nigga, if I can't fuck Beyonce, you can't funk Beyonce. And I was like, that's crazy. Immediately in my mind, what this happened?
Speaker 1: Why did you think that that's not what you're supposed to be thinking, you're supposed to be jealous of your boyfriend or.
Speaker 4: Upset, just like I would. I would eat way better than you yourself.
Speaker 2: It was just an immediate and I was like, that's insane.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll ask you this. This is my this is my follow up question. This is my follow up question for you. So in two thousand and two, the Patriots.
Speaker 5: That's the crazy, that's the craziest. That's the craziest. But that was to Jesus moment.
Speaker 1: I was like, I didn't get it right at that moment. But I put that in a like little folder and I said, something's off.
Speaker 4: Something's off.
Speaker 2: I filed it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's some self work that I got to.
Speaker 2: I got to figure out something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I will.
Speaker 3: Say to to My follow up question for you is the fact that, Okay, so the Patriots, your Patriots didn't win the Super Bowl that year, So in celebration, did you stuck his day?
Speaker 2: He wasn't big into football, Okay, Like.
Speaker 5: I said, I like football.
Speaker 2: We could probably call on the phone, I would say, I will. I will venture to say I probably sucked because I was happy the patient, because I was very much into football.
Speaker 4: Fantastic. I got, I got, I got everything I wanted out of that question, thank you? Yeah, yeah, yeah, we had good times also.
Speaker 3: Okay, so Sam, while you were having a pizza and smearnoff you know nights were you were, you also tapped into popular culture like did you have a smear enof in pizza in here? When Michael Jackson dangled his infants on Prince over the back?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You do you have any fond memories of this event?
Speaker 5: I don't know if they were fond memories, but I remember it.
Speaker 4: Did you did you that video and put it in the barbershops? Also, of course I.
Speaker 1: Remember I just when he dangled the baby this that I don't know. At that point, we were so far gone with Michael Jackson, like you know what I mean? It was there was so much erratic behavior, and Wacko Jacko was already a thing. Remember that Wacko Jacko and all that was already a thing that, like the baby dangle was just another thing. I think for the black community, we just were more like that, ain't his goddamn baby, that white ass bag. Whether we saw just the baby's legs, dangline on the whole baby on half the baby. Our stance on that baby was that, ain't that man's goddamn baby?
Speaker 5: Right right again?
Speaker 3: Yashi again, I just this is this was such like a like a like it was like this was the moment I feel like where black people we were like, we've lost him, like we we've we've lost like we used to have him in our grip like we had we had Michael Jackson still, But this was the mama where it was like, bro, we don't even know what to do with him anymore.
Speaker 1: I would are you you're saying this is his Kanye KKK black KKK uniform moment.
Speaker 2: I don't know what.
Speaker 3: Just like, hands off the hard part for me, and tell me if you agree with this, Carl, it's like the hard part of Michael Jackson in comparison, if you're gonna compare it to Kanye. Michael never really said things to like a thing that not in my recollection that he never really said things that had back people being like, oh we can't fuck with him?
Speaker 4: Am I wrong in thinking that?
Speaker 5: But you know, you know what, you know what it is?
Speaker 6: I mean I do feel like maybe some of his behavior behave more strange or weird or whatever, and then maybe he began to look more white, but he also started rolling with the Nation of Islam exactly like, and the stuff that he was talking about became.
Speaker 5: Really really black.
Speaker 2: But I think that's what pissed us off.
Speaker 1: I think that's what made us even more mad, is like, Bro, you've done all this stuff to align yourself with whiteness and to literally separate yourself from us, and then now that the white people is saying you diddling, now we're supposed to come save you, Like, oh Jay, now we're supposed to come swoop and now you with the nation is now everybody's racist. Now it's time to be black again, and now we're supposed to come and stand behind you and save you.
Speaker 2: And it's like, no, Michael, this is that you.
Speaker 1: You invited this into your life, So now you go if you deal with whatever this is, we're not participating. So I think by that point we were kind of just done and done and done because we were like, you ain't been sure all love to niggas for a while now.
Speaker 4: Right, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just I still in a way feel like there was an allegiance because even to this day, black people still defend Michael Jackson.
Speaker 1: I think will will we love card and will love forever. But I think we were loving from a distance at that point. We was crashing out from Jack and then yeah, like a family member. And now he's dead, so now we back up on a thousand you know what I'm saying, Like, and that was full throttle because he's not with us, So now it's like, you better not talk about Mike. It's just like, uh, anybody like you have a crackhead uncle. He's terrible to everybody in the family. He's still but we remember the time when he wasn't that crackheaded, and you know what I'm saying, Yeah, I've got the way it works.
Speaker 5: And then.
Speaker 1: Everyone like kind of writes him off like he's a crackhead and he's unsavable and he's stolen from everybody.
Speaker 2: And then he dies and then we're back like, you better never say nothing bad about my uncle. JUNI right, right, well, I'll fuck you up. That's kind of our relationship with Mike.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and Prince. We don't fuck around. Michael Carl are you.
Speaker 3: I don't know how deep into conspiracies you tend to tend to be, but when it comes in relationship to Michael Jackson. I don't know if you've heard, but the notion that Michael Jackson's voice is a lot deeper than than he would play up in the media.
Speaker 4: Are you are you privy to that information? Do you do you believe in it at all? What do you think that was?
Speaker 6: Well, you know what's funny, I've been hearing that, right, and then like a week ago, I actually had this got up. This is kind of random, but I had. I had lunch with Dougie Fresh right, who actually who actually spent some time with Mike and where he was in a room just talking regular like with the with the deep voice. He said, that is his real like that like the voice that we hear in the music or when he's doing interviews, that is not his voice.
Speaker 5: That's what he said.
Speaker 6: Like he said, he literally was having conversations with him about bitches and ship like that.
Speaker 2: Oh whoa, yeah, I heard that. You didn't hear the tapes. This is pre ai.
Speaker 1: You didn't hear those tapes that drop when he was talking about his family. He was talking about Joe and everybody keep borrowing money from him and he's tired of the ship.
Speaker 2: And he was just talking like a nigga talking, talking like a nigga. Bro, I was shocking.
Speaker 3: You got the base in his voice that was that was a note. That was a note I always got from my family. Put some basing your voice.
Speaker 1: He took the bass out because he knew it was threatening, and like, I don't I think that because they were so used to seeing young like he grew up in the ship, you know what I'm saying. So he grew up and when he was young, sweet Michael Jackson, he was like, that's what everybody loves, and that's what I'm always gonna try to present to people. And when the balls dropped, he was like a nigga. It was like, you can't you can't even you can't even take the nigga out and do whatever to his nose, but he gonna, it's gonna hitch you.
Speaker 4: Skin might be light, but that voice is still dark.
Speaker 2: Gary Indiana, you know.
Speaker 4: Well I brought I brought.
Speaker 3: Up the conspiracy of it all with that voice because of the fact that now I'll follow up with asking you this, Carl, there's a there's there's there will always be conspiracy theories, but I think this one is always at the top of everybody's mind. It will always be a conversation of like division people believe in and the people don't. Carl, do you believe that man went on the moon?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: Wow? So I think I think it happened, But I think it didn't happen when they said it happened. Do you think it? You know what I'm saying, Well, I don't know for a fact. I mean I don't, I don't.
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't know exactly, like, but I just think I think that there was a lot of money, and there was a lot of I guess uh uh exploration that was happening around that time, and I think they needed to produce some evidence that they made some progress. But I don't think that they did, you know, and and and I'm way into a lot of so I love this area. No, no, no, but but but I do think that the plan at one point in time was to was to get to the Moon. And then I think when they did get to the Moon, finally they realized that they were already I mean, there's this evidence now to show that there there was there was bases already on the Moon. They've encountered other extraterrestrials, species, and things like that, and then that mission just completely went away. You didn't hear anything else about us going to the moon, you know, So I don't know, and that's kind of odd, like, how come all of a sudden that just that whole mission just got abandoned abandoned?
Speaker 4: Well, Carl, that answer.
Speaker 3: I'm delighted by your answer, because in two thousand and two, a seventy two year old bulls all dream punched a conspiracy theorist named Bart Sibrel in the face for claiming that the sixty nine moon landing was a hoax. So giving your answer, Carl, I would say, Buzz not gonna punch you.
Speaker 4: It might slap you up a little bit.
Speaker 2: Buzz Buzz check, you might suck.
Speaker 3: You up, even insinuating that didn't didn't happen when it happened.
Speaker 1: I think that Buzz definitely win because it's just like, you know, if you punch people over the ship at seventy two.
Speaker 3: Multiple times, it's just like that's like, yo, there are multiple people on the top the.
Speaker 1: Moment, and like you could say, you can say, I think at seventy two he got all the checks.
Speaker 2: I think if I'm a hered punch of people in the face of seventy two.
Speaker 4: You're not You're not punching people over some shit.
Speaker 1: You didn't you playing I'm in my old man face to be played with. I don't heard this ship multiple times. I told y'all it's not true. Yeah, I'm seventy two. Now the next nigga that said it to me going to push in the face.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's why I'm happening. So you might have two enemies on your hand from the past from two thousand and two.
Speaker 5: I want to smoke bud.
Speaker 2: Bus smacking people in the face with Moondu.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm so glad we we ended on that, but we do have we do have to fund Carl. You have been a top tier guest.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for being here.
Speaker 4: But we do we do end on a we do end on a statement.
Speaker 2: We do end on the statement we really don't know how to end this show.
Speaker 1: And then Alex came up. But it's a good way and it's been working. So that's what we're doing.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: We end with a question.
Speaker 4: Well, it's it's more of a statement that you need to question. Choose how it ends.
Speaker 3: Question the question, Carl, I'd ask you you to fill in the blank. History does not repeat itself.
Speaker 4: It blank, History does not repeat itself.
Speaker 6: It remains his story until we start telling our own stories, so it becomes our story.
Speaker 3: Oh a professor answer, I just felt it can take just come down behind you.
Speaker 4: That felt real. Snap snap.
Speaker 2: We often make doctor Umar proud on this show.
Speaker 4: I know right, we are getting closer and closer to getting on this podcast. I can feel it, right, I can feel it. Sam, how would you?
Speaker 5: How do you?
Speaker 4: How are you feeling about about it today?
Speaker 1: Yeah, history doesn't repeat itself. It goes to the moon and if you ask about it, it punches you in there.
Speaker 5: You go.
Speaker 3: I agree with that, and I'd say history doesn't repeat itself. It goes to the theater to watch flubber.
Speaker 5: Car.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for being so much. Hope you had a good time because we had a great time with you.
Speaker 5: Thank you. I haven't lapped this law this a long time.
Speaker 4: Appreciate alrighty, thank you, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Look back at It as a production of iHeartMedia and This is Important.
Speaker 2: It is co hosted by Me, Sam Jay and Alex English. Theme music by Aaron Kaufman. It is executive produced by Lindsay Hoffman. And a host Nier and Jenna Caageo. Co produced, mixed and mastered by Carmen Lauren. Additional support by Casey Donahue. Researched by Jabari Davis