Speaker 1: Welcome back. It's a brand new episode. This is Laugh with Me Podcast with jarredy b. I'm your own Jo and I'm not alone. I've got my good friend returning guest. You could probably do the intro for him. He's a giant, giant in the transportation injury injury? Are there a lot of injuries in your business? Is something we're not gonna talk about. Yeah, all right, transportation business. He was the eighth speaker at Central. Now now I'm now I'm down playing. You were the fifth speaker at Central. He is a farmer, fantasy football champion of the world. He's got love in his heart. Today it's Eric Larsen, one of my best friends. He is here and we're it's Valentine's Day, it's Valentine's Week.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to be here. Say, to get into this topic. Longtime listener of the show, feels like the first time I've ever been in the studio.
Speaker 1: Yeah you yeah. He walks in and he's like, oh, a new setup, and I go, No, exact same setup as the last time you're here. It will be a little different next time you're here, But yes, it is the exact same.
Speaker 2: In my defense, I mean the beers were full on the desk when I walked in. Yeah, that is not how we left the studio last time. Yeah, it's true.
Speaker 1: There's nothing wrong with having a few beverages while you record a podcast. In fact, I believe more podcasts maybe more enjoyable if you enjoyed a few beverages along the way.
Speaker 2: You hit our topic. I mean love. Yeah, I mean to talk about love. Sometimes you need a little that honesty juice.
Speaker 1: You know, that's the thing when you're and we've got you know, I don't even know. Did you know I've got a sign in the studio, Oh, handmade says love on it. You didn't even know this. You probably have never even noticed that piece of artwork at.
Speaker 2: Well, I saw it. I didn't realize the heart was supposed to be the Oh that is the L I thought it was just the the lve the Volleyball Association.
Speaker 1: Las Vegas Entertainment. Like, we'll go a kind of bullshit. Are you promoting it here? No, it's it's love. Love is in the air, Love is on the walls. It is Valentine's Week, and that's what we're here to talk about. Talk about Valentine's Day. It's funny because it could mean a lot of things to a lot of different people. And that's kinda I think where we're heading today is that this this subject, it's so deep and everything involve Valentine's Day. It has various different meanings. I just have one thing though, right off the top, I want to like put out there because I don't think a lot of people know this, but Valentine's Day. I mean, I guess it depends on how it's all relative. It's not that old really, Yeah, it started in nineteen ten. Did you know that? That's not that's honestly, when you think of like things that we've just been a part of our entire lives, that's not that long ago.
Speaker 2: Well, in all the events, I mean a big event when it hits that anniversary, I mean normally you have that one hundred years in retrospect. Do you have that big thing like where was the twenty ten Valentine's Centennial celebration?
Speaker 1: Yep? It was invented by Joyce Clyde Hall in Kansas City, Missouri. In nineteen ten. She owned a company called Hall Brothers. Eventually, in nineteen fifty four, she changed that business name to something you all are going to know about Hallmark Company. Oh wow, yeah, nineteen ten.
Speaker 2: Joyce sounds like an Irish name, Joyce. I mean the Irish aren't necessarily some people you think of as like sensual. No. No, So you think this was like overcompensating on their part.
Speaker 1: It very well could be.
Speaker 2: That's funny.
Speaker 1: So Valentine's Day Ruary fourteenth, At least this year it's on February fourteenth. I don't know, I've known a lot of Valentine's Days. It kind of like falls around depending on the day. Right, this year it's on the fourteenth. It always falls on a Friday, right.
Speaker 2: No, it always falls on the fourteenth.
Speaker 1: Okay, I thought it was a Friday thing.
Speaker 2: No. No, And see this is probably a common thing because I mean for anybody who's watched a sitcom in their life, I mean, it's tough to keep track of the date. Yeah, I mean that's almost like an assumed plot. Like you know, these these shows get into that fortieth fiftieth episode, you know, they're they're shooting blanks at this point, Like, what else can we talk about Valentine's Day? What day is it on? I don't know, Friday? No, No, no, it's got a date. It's got a date.
Speaker 1: It's on the fourteenth. Well, that's something that I was unaware. So we're learning today. We're learning a little bit about the very special holiday of Valentine's Day.
Speaker 2: When this show comes out, it's going to be right before Valentine's Day. Team, this is your call to action.
Speaker 1: The fourteenth. Yeah, so you know, this is a time where a lot of people generally buy flowers, candy. You know, myself working in uh, you know, the grocery business for a long time, this was a busy time generally the day before, generally Valentine's Day, especially sometimes the day after. A lot of times it's a lot of work in the build up to it, and then it's just chaos, a day of to get the flowers out, to get the chocolates out, all those last minute fellas. It's such a last minute holiday.
Speaker 2: I love that you said, like sometimes the day after, ye like you got these like that would probably be me the bargain shop. I mean, I'm not paying I'm not paying retail for this. You know, Reese's peanut butter cup that's a foot wide in the shape of a heart. Yeah, I'm I'm throwing this over in the dog food aisle. I'm going to you know, pick it up tomorrow and get twenty percent off on it.
Speaker 1: It's actually it's funny because it's on a Friday. This year, we've covered this deeply. Now there will be people who are going to have, you know what their quote unquote Valentine's date is on a Saturday on the fifteen, and there's gonna be people waiting to do any type of shopping for that until the morning or the afternoon of the fifteenth to do that very thing, To get the discounted candy, to get the discounted flowers, even to save a bug for Valentin'sday. It's a real thing, you.
Speaker 2: Know, another important thing to just throw out there. Don't hide chocolate in the dog food aisle. That was a poor choice. I was just thinking on my feet. Dogs and chocolate they don't go together.
Speaker 1: They do not go together.
Speaker 2: Do not hide the chocolate next to the dog food.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's quite dangerous for the pups.
Speaker 2: So the public service announcement, that's.
Speaker 1: A seclic service announcement.
Speaker 2: That's the second one.
Speaker 1: Do not tie in chocolate with dog food. That's you know what that actually that's going to save lives. I've got a few here's the few things I just told you. Valentine's Day. To me, it's like it was a lot of work for me, you know, in the past. One time though, I got to miss and skip the whole thing. It's because I got very, very sick. I had a severe like strep throat over. I missed like three days of work right over Valentine's Day. I had a very high fever, super sick. I was seeing shit like it was. It was weird.
Speaker 2: So probably too late for the listening audience to do that now, Yeah, Like I had to start laying the groundwork for that before, you know, three days.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you were, if you were somebody who was wanting to be sick for Valentine's Day, I mean, yeah, you would have put yourself in position to get those germs five days ago.
Speaker 3: God.
Speaker 2: Well that's and that's where it becomes even tougher. Not knowing what day Valentine's Day is. It makes it tough, Like I mean, if you're just randomly firing on February, like, could you imagine like could you imagine you know, being sick like the tenth, eleventh, and twelfth, because then you have the recovery.
Speaker 1: Time yep, and then you're back and then you're.
Speaker 2: Back, and I mean the expectation is going to be that you're ready to go. You can't milk that two days. Yeah, maybe one day, one day, one day you could be like I didn't sleep well, you know, but two days, no, sympathy's gone.
Speaker 1: I will say. Being sick over that time, I thought I was going to get like, oh man, you know, we got you. Hope you feel better, you know, get ressed, get ready, and then come back and then you know, we'll take a break and then you you'll take over from there. And instead I got why weren't you at work? We needed you? It was super busy. Hope you enjoyed your time off. I was like, no, I was very, very sick.
Speaker 2: Also while meanwhile there's a palette of candy that meanwhile, yeah, just completely missed Valentine's Day because you were gone, because I was.
Speaker 1: Gone also around Valentine's Day, and a lot of people don't think about this. Only the NBA All Star Weekend falls around Valentine's Day, and it is happening again this weekend with Valentins on Friday, You've got NBA All Start Saturday the next day, and then the game on Sunday as well.
Speaker 2: Every time I think of Valentine's Day, I think of the NBA all start. You are so right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so right. And staying on the sports topic, we're a few years away from the super Bowl falling on Valentine's date. That's going to be a special one because what are people going to do. Are they going to choose the game or are they going to choose go you know, going out on the date, and how are they going.
Speaker 2: To spin that?
Speaker 1: Like, what's what's going to be the game plan there?
Speaker 2: I mean the super Bowl from last Sunday probably made it more likely to just skip the game, just skip the game, allgether? Hey, let's let's skip the game. We'll watch a you know, a YouTube compilation of the commercials, you know, after the date.
Speaker 1: Hey, what's your what's your thoughts on the marketing tactic now of releasing the commercials before the game and then the then the same commercial airing during the game.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I hate it. I hate it. I hate and I generally I don't even like the idea of when they tease the commercial like oh hey, we're gonna build this up for like the last half of the football season. No, no, that was half the fun before. It was just the shock factor of not knowing what direction they were going to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I'm not appreciative of these these companies that want to kind of you know, get ahead of the competition or like start the buzz like early. No, give give me the commercial and then we the viewers will tell you who won the oscar.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with you there.
Speaker 2: They do give oscars for commercials, right.
Speaker 1: They do not. There's a USA today?
Speaker 2: Are you telling me? Is still It's still around?
Speaker 1: It's still around, and they are it's still around. It's not the same. There's not even a lot of USA today specific like writers like on staff. It's just they get articles and things written from consultants and I just around the country.
Speaker 2: You know. My favorite part of the USA work what was that they put the little graph on the front the front page.
Speaker 1: I always had like a little graph.
Speaker 2: So I was just like, what are they gonna what are they gonna do today?
Speaker 1: Right, So Monday morning when the paper came out, there was a chart for the for the commercials and it said go to the website to see the and then on Tuesday they had the rankings.
Speaker 2: It's very hard to translate. Yeah, the video commercial to.
Speaker 1: The right right, you know, it was actually funny. I still enjoy the USA today, but it's different. I mean, it's just a whole different deal. But yeah, they do still do their rankings. They still have people like score the commercials or whatnot. Here's the thing that bothered me, because you know, they are doing a lot of rolling up the commercials to build the buzz and then it airs during But there was a specific commercial that was for like Tatino's Pizza Roles, the one with Tim Robinson and that that full commercial we got weeks before the game to promote, you know, for the super Bowl, and then during the commercial for the actual apt for the Super Bowl, it was a shorter, smaller version of the ad itself that that aired. You don't even get the full joke. It was still good, but when you know, when you've seen the full ad, you're like, oh, that joke has a completely different context when you've seen it, you know. There, I don't know, I don't like that, like, at least give us the full deal. Yeah, I didn't like that. They they hyped it up and build the excitement and they put this ad out and then it's just it's part of it. You know, it's fifteen seconds or whatever it was.
Speaker 2: I mean, I hate to call you out on this, but you're sound a little heartless. I mean, we found out from the commercial that you know, to Tino's pizza roles costs about a dollar apiece. Yeah, we did. So you're basically saying like they need to spell like twenty million more pizza rolls so that you can see the full version. Yeah, well, you sit on your couch and drink your beer.
Speaker 1: It was a funny commercial that we are getting.
Speaker 2: They are sponsoring us today, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Today's Laugh with Me is actually sponsored by that very commercial, not the company, not Totino's, but it's being sponsored by the marketing group that made the commercial. They're sponsoring us to talk about the commercial.
Speaker 2: It's there's levels to this, love the marketing group.
Speaker 1: There's levels of this. It's actually Totinos actually doesn't even know we're involved in this, but we are because of the marketing group who's hire us to you know, it's it's a whole thing. There's levels things that a lot of people don't know about So thanks for bringing that up.
Speaker 2: Inside the business.
Speaker 1: This is inside, this is inside baseball going on. But yeah, no, that's kind of what Valentine's Day means to me. It always meant a lot of busy time and sometimes very sick and a lot of basketball. But that's, uh, that's kind of where it's always been for me. It's different to a lot of different people, you know.
Speaker 2: I mean mine, I'm obviously I'm not married, you know, not having that that consistent relationship by all the time on Valentine's Day. So a lot of my prep for the holiday, I was convincing, you know, my friends that it was not on the fourteenth, that it was on a different date. That way, i'd have somebody to hang out with.
Speaker 1: You'd tell them Valentine's Valentine's Day.
Speaker 2: I mean, apparently it's still bears, Yeah, it still is. Yeah. I would have mad confused if I would have started the show by saying, ah, Jemmy, you want to hang out this Friday? Yeah, you probably would have been like, yeah, I got nothing, Yeah, I got nothing going on the other why not? Yeah, what would.
Speaker 1: Valentine's Days on? It's on like Sunday and Yeah, it's always every Sunday.
Speaker 2: It's always a Sunday after the super Bowl.
Speaker 1: It's the Sunday after the super Bowl. See, that's the type of thing we need. We need more consistency with that kind of stuff. You know, people get confused to win. Thanksgiving is obviously it's the was it the last Thursday of November? It's like the fourth Thursday, the fourth Thursday. There's there's a there's a process to it. I know, it's never always on the twenty third. And there'll be people who are like one day Thanksgiving on this year, and it's like it's it's Thursday, Like we're gonna definitely do this on Thursday this year, like always.
Speaker 2: I'm imagining Kyle like he's listening to this episode right now and he's frantically like googling.
Speaker 1: Like what what day is my business? Yeah? Thanks for listening. Go Well, some of the things that Valentine's Day that people kind of associate with it, I don't know. Cupid, Yeah, yeah, he's a big deal.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean kind of the original. I mean he's a baby, is he well, or at least he's got the baby. Is the pudgy body you could probably say he's a prototype of the dad bod craze, is he?
Speaker 1: What do you think his diet's like?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, obviously a lot of chocolate.
Speaker 1: Not fat shaming at all, I'm just I'm just curious. Yeah, a lot of chocolate. What does a guy like Cupid like, what's he eat on a daily basis? Chocolate? I could see that. That's you know, that's.
Speaker 2: Probably like a stereotypical answer on that.
Speaker 1: And he eats a lot of cookies. I'm sure he eats other things, but we know about the cookies.
Speaker 2: I mean, what what do you think came first? The Valentine's Day candy or the holiday?
Speaker 1: Mm hmm, Well, based on our research, I would say I would say the holiday, because I mean somebody jumped in with, well, we need to how can we sell some stuff with it. It's kind of like what came first President's Day or furniture sales.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm just I'm just thinking. I mean, we asked what Cupid's diet was going to be. I mean, could he be a chalky heart guy?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I mean what other purposes the chalky heart for?
Speaker 1: So here's what you're suggesting is that it's possible that in the marketplace there was these heart shaped chocolate boxes and heart shaped chocolate bars, and then Valentine's Day was created, and then somebody was like, you know what, this might make sense if we just combined the two.
Speaker 2: No great marketing.
Speaker 1: I like to think the all of it came first and then we built some chocolate around it.
Speaker 2: It's it's interesting, you know that we have Cupid. You know, Cupid's a recognizable thing. Where's the Cupid movie? Like, where's the Cupid?
Speaker 1: Ip?
Speaker 2: Who owns Cupid to do a movie? Like we've got Frankenstein, We've got Dracula, We've got the Mummy, like those are all in that kind of group. We've you know, obviously Marvel and DC and all their stuff, Like where's the Cupid universe?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes you think that maybe it's not that people don't believe in Cupid, it's just that they downplay any impact that this little guy may ever have. You know, they're like, all right, it's not that there isn't a Cupid. Let's just all agree there's a Cupid out there. There's a little jubby ass baby but with a bow, with a bow and an arrow, and he's he can fly right, and I.
Speaker 2: Think he's got those little wings, like just little wings coming out of his back. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So there's probably like some restrictions on how far and how fast he can fly, but I think we can all assume he flies, we can all agree to that.
Speaker 2: But what his.
Speaker 1: Impact is in the game of love is probably very minimal, and that's why he isn't really a main player. I did do a Google search, well I didn't. Johnny did a Google search of Cupid movies, okay, and just shot him over to me, Thanks Johnny. And they're bad.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's all look awesome.
Speaker 1: The first one that popped up, it's called Cupid, and then the tagline is it'll be a bloody Valentine this year. So it's it's a horror movie. The cover of that looks like it looks like it's gol that does kind of look like him.
Speaker 2: That is a creepy ass Cupid.
Speaker 1: And then you get a series of movies that do look like like Hallmark movies, like they're obviously and it makes a lot of sense to have the one horror movie and then a whole bunch of rom coms. You've got your so Cupid, you've got playing Cupid and there's a little child in there with the with the man and the woman, So the child probably I'm just guessing that the child plays Cupid and like brings the relationship together. There's one called Cupid's Arrow. There's one called Cube e Cupid, and there's two guys laying on each other. I'm going to guess that has something to do with like online dating.
Speaker 2: That I had to look twice at that one because I was like, geez, that's that dude's already got his pants off.
Speaker 1: But yeah, Christmas Cupid. So there's there's the mashup we've been waiting for. Gabe the Cupid Dog.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you have to have a pet like related type. Christmas Cupid zero. There's a cartoon. It's called Cupid. There's a little cartoon baby kind of looks like the Boss Baby and it says love with an attitude. There's also a Cupid two. So the Cupid Digital was so good we needed the Cupid two.
Speaker 2: So you know, all right, I'm we're looking at these movies. I think there's two things that are obviously missing. We know that you know, Cupid's got a bow and arrow, yep, And obviously this angle hasn't been tried yet, but why not make him like a badass like Archer. You know, maybe he's like a combination of like Lego Loos and like Hawkeye and he's like a a like an assassin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's an assassin, and he's you know, maybe somebody, maybe somebody that he was going to ask to be his.
Speaker 1: Valentine was kidnapped.
Speaker 2: Oh geez, and.
Speaker 1: Now he's got to go on the hunt to track down who kidnapped her so that he can no or this is just Cupid. This is Cupid's job. What he does is when girls are are kidnapped, then he goes, especially around Valentine's Day, that he has to go and track him down so that there Valentine has their match. Like it's a whole it's all because they get heats hired, Cuban gets hired.
Speaker 2: What if there's like.
Speaker 1: Like so dull?
Speaker 2: Does does Cupid have a crew? He's like, oh, like, you know, are there other Like well, who is Cupid's associated with? Like is he like a Greek? Like is he hanging out with Zeus or something?
Speaker 1: Cupid into Zeus? Well, just you know, is he like the god of lightning or something?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean, but he's Greek.
Speaker 1: He's Greek, You're right, which I think I get what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Or maybe it's is it possible, maybe Cupid's got like a Reverso brother m that shoots people with arrows that makes them fall out of love. Oh yeah, and so Cupid's got to fight him. Yeah, but also like correct the damage that's being done. Like wow, so you can almost have like, hey, you got this Cupid versus you know, revers So Cupid. And then you've also got a traditional rom com going on in the background, because you like rom coms. I mean, it's a it's a standard staple of like meet cute. There's some sort of misunderstanding. They both dig themselves way too deep on the misunderstanding. Yeah, then they end up getting it together and they kiss at the end. That's that's the movie. I think. You know, the laughs aren't even required, The comedy isn't even required. That is the rom com formula.
Speaker 1: Honestly, there's not really much comedy from the main characters within a rom com. It's generally from a side character that brings the comedy to the table, generally a friend of the people, usually the guy and the girl both have a friend. Those two people are funny, yeah, and they're the confidants and they kind of keep the laughs coming and they keep their head right, you know, they're just kind of like the well.
Speaker 2: They're always the one that's just like, oh you can't you know, you can't take that at face value. I mean, this is just a misunderstanding. The main character's got to be like, who are you get away from me? And it's because they got shot by reverso Cupid?
Speaker 1: What if Cupid? We have a movie rom com Cupid shoots the wrong person, then tries to correct it, shoots a completely different person, and then the two main characters become the side friend characters, and then the side characters become the main characters because they got shot by the arrows. And then the whole movie is about how those two although shot with the arrows, are falling in love but they're not compatible, but the two side friends are, and the whole movie's about making the two side friends actually fall for each other despite not getting shot with Cupid's arrow What do you think?
Speaker 2: Well, and just think about the lessons that Cupid could learn. Oh yeah, Like there's got to be a moral in there for Cupid, like, hey, even when you screw up, you know, they could be put right.
Speaker 1: They can put it. Yeah, see you just you just said the whole trailer like that's the that's on the movie poster. What you just said's on the movie poster. And Cupid there's like little side because Cupid's not really actually in any of the scenes with the main characters, but they keep cutting the Cupid trying to figure out what's going on because he screwed up big time. Yeah, like he's got his own people, he's got to answer to you.
Speaker 2: So you're thinking, you're thinking Bateman for Cupid, right, man would be perfect?
Speaker 1: Yes, Bateman, buddy, I know you don't listen to the pod, but if you are this episode, please we're casting you. This is gonna be great.
Speaker 2: But I mean there's got there's gotta be a chance for an expanded.
Speaker 1: Universe here, you know, Yeah, this this could be big.
Speaker 2: I mean this, this is the Cupid with Christmas. I mean, that's that's half assed. That that's that's too easy. Yeah, that's too easy.
Speaker 1: But yes, anything could be a christ I mean if.
Speaker 2: Cupid's doing this and also you know badass archer assassin I mean Halloween's and obvious tie in. Yep. Uh, fourth of July could be a tie in.
Speaker 1: Fourth of July when Cupid celebrates America. Yeah, yeah, that.
Speaker 2: Could be big. I mean, I mean we invented the holiday case mo and case Mo.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing is this kind of is.
Speaker 2: So maybe it's the you know, the Canadians are trying to take over the country and end Valentine's Day.
Speaker 1: You know, it's an American holiday obviously.
Speaker 2: And Cupid's got to go up there and you know and force on them.
Speaker 1: So the movies suck. I mean, we've agreed that the movies with Cupid sucking. We don't have like the Mage movie to say this is the Cupid movie. But on the other hand, there's a million songs with love and the title that you could, you know, at Valentine's Day or even around Valentine's Day, be like this one speaks to me right now? You know what are like some of your favorite songs that have like love in the title. Johnny, we have solved all of your holiday shopping stress, your needs because the holidays will sneak up fast, but it's not too early to get your shopping done and actually have fun with it. Uncommon Goods makes holidays shopping stress free and joyful with thousands of one of a kind gifts you can't find anywhere else. Uncommon Goods looks for products that are high quality, unique, and often handmade or made in the United States. Many are crafted by you, independent artists and small businesses. And because they're made in small batches, they are the best fines. But they can sell out fast. Johnny, what I found here, And I'm telling you, Johnny, right now, if you use a promo code, I'm gonna tell you that in here. In a second, this is what I want for Christmas. Okay. Uncommon Goods has a recycled skateboard display stand so it looks like a skateboard to just sit on your desk, sit on the bookshelf. I can put my laptop on it. I can work on the show. Johnny, I could be working. I could do your job frankly, and look like I got a little skateboard. I had a little skateboard to work off of, which you know I love.
Speaker 3: I love.
Speaker 1: Even though I'm getting older, I too love a good skate But this recycled skateboard is so cool and It's just one of the many unique items that you can find on Uncommon Goods. It has something for everyone, from moms and dads to kids and teens. From book lovers, history buffs, eric talking about you and die hard football fans to foodies, mixologists and avid gardeners, you'll find thousands of new gift ideas that you won't find anywhere else. When you shop at uncommon Goods, you're supporting artists and small independent businesses. Many of their handcrafted products are made in small batches, so shot now before set. They sell out this holiday season, and with every purchase you make at uncommon Goods, they give back one dollar to a nonprofit partner of your choice. They've donated more than three million dollars to date. So shot up early, have fun, and cross some names off your list. To day get fifteen percent off your next gift. Go to uncommon Goods dot com slash laugh with me. That's uncommon Goods dot com slash laugh with me for fifteen percent off. Don't miss out on this limited time offer. Uncommon Goods. We are all out of the ordinary, Johnny, if you haven't told everybody, this is how you're doing your holiday shopping. You really missed the boat. I mean, that's what That's why I told my family. Okay, I'm gonna let you think about that. Let's take our first poem break. These are poems written with love or Valentine's Day on the mind.
Speaker 2: I call this love Poem by Eric Larson. Love like the Vikings, strong and true. Together we cheer, just me and you. Pepperoni pizza shared with delight, laughter and joy through the night, the twins on the field, hearts and sink, kittens purring, a soft little wink, a cold Budweiser, a quiet cheer. In love, we find warmth year after year. I'm not a big lyrics guy.
Speaker 1: You're not a big lyrics guy, so what so what? What what would you say then about a song that has maybe just the You're all right, so you don't want to make lyrics guy? Is there any like songs about love or about Valentine's Day that you're like, Yeah, I'm feeling that one.
Speaker 2: Well, the Eve six, the Heart and the Blender song, the.
Speaker 1: Heart, Oh, because it's got all just not even.
Speaker 2: Okay, Harvey Danger Flagpole said it?
Speaker 1: Flag Poles up? How what do you mean how that song's kind of making a comeback.
Speaker 2: It is, well it's in that commercial.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's ah, I've seen it. And like all American rejects are back like as a band. And the first piece of music they put out back as a band was a cover of that's very song.
Speaker 3: Was it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like they were I love that yeah, and it's it's really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So they I guess we're just screwing around on the bus like playing the song like just for fun, and they're like, we should cover this, Like why don't we put it out? It's the first thing they put out back as the band. Wow, that song, that song's making comeback.
Speaker 2: See this This was my plan all long was to get to that Yeah. Yeah yeah, it's like three Degrees of love song, like you know, yeah, we're just we're just a couple of songs away.
Speaker 1: Oh speaking to three degrees. So you know the the game like seven Degrees or six degrees at Kevin Bacon or whatever. We like taught that game like to the kids, like, hey there's this thing. It's like crazy real and uh, we're just kind of explained the Kevin Bacon thing and they're like, no, that's dumb, Like that's just not even possible. So then we're taking like even young stars that would have nothing to do with Kevin Bacon in you know, today, there's new people right now we could trace back to him within even a couple of steps. Now, it's if anything, it's it's made it easier. And uh, minds were blown that day. I mean they just could not gather.
Speaker 2: The most mind blown in a positive direction. Or was this more of just like what why? What? What's wrong with you people?
Speaker 1: I think a lot of it was like how why him? How is this possible? And uh, like who who found out about this? Like just the research and the like the wanting to know of about the Kevin Bacon thing.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: It was wild, but it's so true. I mean, you can literally find anybody you could. We traced me back to Kevin Bacon within like four steps, Like it was insanely easy to do.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, that's what I don't remember exactly, but I remember there's a couple of those different touch points where it was just like there were so many people or so many things that intersected with him at this point that it was just a matter of how do you get.
Speaker 1: How do you get there? Yeah, but it actually ended up being fairly easy to get to pretty much anybody. Yeah, it's wild.
Speaker 2: What kind of songs about love do you like?
Speaker 1: I'm a big Lately love story Taylor's version. Obviously, I'm supporting the new version and not the original because love that we know why?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: That's obviously to swift love Shack B fifty two's classic. Did you know that B fifty two is performed on Saturday Night Live?
Speaker 2: I hope they didn't play that song.
Speaker 1: He did play that song. But what's wrong with love Shack? It's like the Monster mash It's like you have to listen to Monster Masher on Halloween. You gotta listen to love Shack.
Speaker 2: This is this is very uncomfortable because you know, I believe, I mean, love what you want to love. But love Shack is not a good.
Speaker 1: Love like love Shocks of classic California Love Tupac, Doctor Dre, How do you feel about California Love?
Speaker 2: I mean I could probably wrap it right now. I've heard that song many many times in my life.
Speaker 1: Absolute classic. You know, we were talking about like things that you know, we're tied in people now. It's like like I briefly brought up President's Day and Uh, like mattress sales. Like, there's just things you have to do for certain holidays, right, that seems to me one of them. If you run a mattress or a furniture store, you're running a sale on President's Day.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I don't understand why, but everybody does it. Well at Valentine's Day, you gotta have heart shaped things.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Chick fil A right now has heart shaped biscuits.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, so that just means the chickens just hanging out on one side.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah, so the chicken. Yeah, but do you not like that? Do you like the equal biscuit to chicken? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yea the right ratio.
Speaker 1: I don't mind it. It's kind of like eating a tenderloin, like you want it just hanging off that bitch.
Speaker 2: What are you a spicy or a regular?
Speaker 1: I can do spicy. Yeah. Actually, I have become a fan of the flavor of spicy. I have become somebody who absolutely dreads the next morning after a spicy. But I do very much enjoy the flavor of a spicy.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's worth it. It's worth it.
Speaker 1: I like to think it is. When I'm eating it. I love it, and I'm like, this is worth it, This is gonna be okay the next day. Sometimes even that very night, I do not wish I would have made the choice to eat it.
Speaker 2: And then you know you're getting older, you give it a give it about thirty six hours and you're just like, go for a spicy.
Speaker 1: Yeah why not? No? I do, I do enjoy a spicy. How about you? Do you go with the regular? You're going with the.
Speaker 2: Hot, spicy, spicy every single time. That's my favorite thing about Chick fil a Breakfast. By the way, another sponsor of the.
Speaker 1: Pod, Yeah, Chick fil A. Uh is a a restaurant that are fast Would you call it fast food?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're a fast food chicken place that is sponsoring the pod specifically on Sunday. So if you're listening to the episode on a Sunday, your sponsor is Chick fil A.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's fast food, but sometimes it takes a while to get to the the ordering window or to the counter.
Speaker 1: No, they're super fast. You think it takes a.
Speaker 2: While, I guess maybe maybe I'm thinking more towards like the COVID stuff, when you you'd have the like the triple loop around the store type of deal.
Speaker 1: Oh they still do that, but they're ability to have multiple people working in they're very organized. Those they're and they've like it's kinda I hate to say they're like a cult because knowing you know, they're things that their leaders believe in, but it's like they're kind of cultish in their training. They are hardcore in the regimen from the beginning to end of their service, and it makes them very very good. But it's nuts that they can be that good and dedicated to the crafty's.
Speaker 2: It's impressive everything from you know posture to just you know courtesy. Yeah, like that that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're one hundred and it's like, okay, you can train you know, the best of the best. They're like a is it Hilton. There's a hotel that their level of service is like barn On above anything anybody anywhere else. I dive Portly talks about it. He was just like this, this this place is like the peak level, high end service of hotels. But it's like then you get like another hotel chain that has like a training program as well. They also say you're gonna have elite service, but you know, it's not like you know, they're kinda kind of lazy with it. I mean you see it everywhere businesses. You go to hatch your fla. Whatever they're doing, they're doing it right.
Speaker 2: And it's kind of funny because there's another chicken place based out of Louisiana, and I've just come to realize that I will never get good service there Popeyes. Yes, yeah, I was just gonna sayt which one I've got? Like the food's great, Yeah, the food is really really good, but I just know that they're going to have like a tenth of the people in there and it's going to take me about three times longer to get my food.
Speaker 1: But you know, you just got to live with it, apparently, if you got to have the blood oath that those folks that have to get that from them.
Speaker 2: This poem is called Conqueror's Heart. It's written from the perspective of Napoleon Bonaparte. I'm tall, the tallest Frenchman, proud, but in your love I stand unbowed like Neapolitan ice cream, bold and sweet. Your love lifts me off my feet like water slides, wild and free. Together we conquer just you and me. Ridley Scott's a hack, a fool at best. His vision of me just a failed test. And no, I'm no Napoleon Dynamite. I'm the true conqueror in history's light. Your love is my victory, pure and true, a crown I wear all for you, Oh.
Speaker 1: Man, Valentine's Day. It's all about love. Things that you love, God, things you love, just in genuine life.
Speaker 2: Why are we you hit me with a lot of questions here?
Speaker 1: Oh all right, I'll tell you. I'll tell you something that I love. I'll start with I absolutely love when I make eye contact with somebody and I say hi to them and even flash a smile, and they dart their eyes away, walk directly past me and don't even say freaking.
Speaker 2: Word that that happens to you.
Speaker 1: A lot fucking love that, oh, very often.
Speaker 2: Like when you're in the store type of thing.
Speaker 1: When I'm at work, when I'm in the store, when I'm just out in public, when I'm walking around my house. There's just there's places everywhere I go it's like I can't be seen and they just eye contact. We have. Eye contact is a very like intentional, like piece of intimacy almost you know, It's it's like it's it's a strong connection. If I look you in the eye and I say hi, and you dart away and then have the nerve to walk right past me still like almost shoulder you know, brushing shoulders, Like at least go the other way.
Speaker 2: Around. Why not?
Speaker 1: I'd almost rather I'd rather them go all the way in and just be like I refuse, I refuse acknowledge you even around you. Instead they walk why buy me, that's just go all in if you're gonna ignore me.
Speaker 2: That's many decades ago, I thought that the word howdy was funny, so instead of saying hi, I just started saying howdy. I don't have any you know, I don't own a pair of cowboy boots, I don't have a cowboy hat, I don't like country music. But to this day I say howdy about eighty percent of the time when I say hi to people. So I guess I always just took that iad version and the running away to just be like, oh well, because you said yeah, they're like overwhelmed, like they don't know how to react to that.
Speaker 1: I believe you should continue to say howdy, but now start dressing like Woody.
Speaker 2: From Toy Story. I thought you were maybe gonna say add the howdie partner at let's start some conjunctions on the back.
Speaker 1: Of this partner. Yeah, I mean, if you're gonna you're going to completely put yourself in the bit, you might as well dress the part.
Speaker 2: But I'm getting getting ready to going on a trip to Europe, so of course, you know, you kind of peruse like, hey, the local norms customs. You know, you look at Reddit for articles that are entitled, hey, how do you tell like an American? How do you how do you tell that Americans over here? And one of the biggest tells that Europeans call out is making eye contact with people you don't know, saying hi, smiling at them, all this kind of stuff. It's just not done over there.
Speaker 1: That can't be real. Yeah, you're not a real you know.
Speaker 2: You don't You don't do the acknowledgment that that's a very American thing.
Speaker 1: So you're telling me I have put myself in a position of like completely throwing off anybody not American in my entire life, you know, just by simply saying hi and have an eye contact. I had no idea, Like, my my world is lily blown right now, Like I had no idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're just the casual friendliness to strangers is not a thing in most countries. MM.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're making me rethink a lot, like maybe I just need to back off a little bit.
Speaker 2: That's ah. It makes me remember a story that I had heard from somebody that was a I think they were a professor over there for like a semester, and they had gone over to a colleague's house for dinner. They had done the dinner, and when they were leaving, you know it's just like, Okay, well this was great, you don't have to do it. Do it again sometime, you know, we'll see you later. And the guy got approached the next day at work from the person that invited him over there and was just like, hey, you know, we did have a good time, but you know we can't. We're not gonna be able to do this again next week. And so you know, the guy had to explain like, no, no, I didn't you know, I wasn't making a commitment. But the guy was concerned that you just thought that, Hey, I just show up the same same day, same time, you guys, make me dinner again, like you know, we'll see you later, Like no, no, no, no, we can't spend that much time with you. They took it very literally. Wow.
Speaker 1: It's kind of the premise of the new Tim Robinson Paul redmovie That's good. You watch the trailer for that. It's kind of the same thing where he's just like, hey, yeah, we had a couple of good hangs, but we got to kind of I mean, we're not doing this again. That's funny. Man. You just don't know, like this is just all we know, right, You don't know what other people know and how they live and their cultures, and you just kind of live your life and you you just don't know how other people perceive the things you're saying. I had no clue that me saying hi smiling to people that come from other places would be like yeah, that yeah, that's very off putting. Like it just that's a pretty normal, nice like thing to do in my world. Right, That's wow, that's actually pretty funny. Another thing. I love wet socks. Oh yeah, love a good wet sock.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, what kind of wet we're talking about here?
Speaker 1: Well, if it's slightly like let's say you're it's raining outside, you've got shoes on, you've got socks on as well.
Speaker 2: Standard outerwear Yeah.
Speaker 1: And let's say you were to like step in a puddle and it just kind of encompasses your whole foot and it just kind of gets like a little soaked. Love that, yeah, soak it up. Get that squish, you know when you're when you're walking and you can just feel and hear the squish like as you're walking. Oh man, that's a feeling that you don't get very often. But when you do, it's like I'm living right now. Yeah, Like I am living. And then go home, take the shoes off. You got them wet, soaked. Sometimes they get discolored, you know, from the shoe and stuff, and when they get wet, it's pretty incredible.
Speaker 2: Don't Don't you love that too, because it's like, you know, you take them off in your entryway because obviously you don't want to get your your whole house messy, and so you can see the footprints, the wet footprints from your shoes. Yep, you take the shoes off, and then you leave wet footprints of the sock or the bare.
Speaker 1: Foot of the sock. But then if you take and then you have to peel the sock off, right and it gets heavy, you know, it's like soaked and then your foot is like this cold like it's it's kind of it's not wet anymore. Yeah, but it's got that kind of damp cold to it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it looks like it looks like it's been in like the bathtub for too long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of got that wrinkle, it's got that wring going. It's it's different and it's not something that you experience every day, but it's something that when it happens, oh you love it. That's love a good wet sock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, something I didn't even think about today. I mean, it was so cold outside. It was snowing here outside, but snow it's it's too cold to melt, so no opportunity to get away sock. But what I love is when you get some snow on the ground here and you're driving along the snow on the roads and everything, and you get those guys that are just going like way too fast for conditions. Oh yeah, and they just like blaze past you. Well they're so yeah, you're you're going you know, forty in the sixty mile zone, yeah, and these guys are going like seventy.
Speaker 1: Yeah they're But those people, it's like when that happens, I don't even fear for myself, you know, on the road dangerous conditions. I don't feel unsafe. I think I'm not a good enough driver that guy yet, is it. No, that's kind of where my FLDS at.
Speaker 2: And I mean both of us, we've had correct division. You know, you've got the glasses, you know, contacts, that type of stuff. You know, I had to get laser eyes to correct mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just care about those you don't shoot anybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but uh, like I still feel like I need some work because I'm having trouble picking out the lane in the road. But those guys they know, they know, but they know exactly where they're supposed to be, and so I have to correct myself based on them. Right.
Speaker 1: They're like they're they're the epitome of the back to the future line. You know, where we're going, we don't need roads. They just kind of fly over the roads themselves, over the lanes, through the snow, the ice, the slush. They know where they're heading. Yeah, okay, they are. They're the driven people that have goals. They hit goals and then they make even harder goals.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, this whole episode is about love. What if those people driving so fast are pursuing, you know, a separated love.
Speaker 1: Well, it kind of makes sense. Valentine's always falls in the winter.
Speaker 2: You know, because we're looking at the road, right, But for all we know, Cupid could be flying ahead of that car, Yeah, guiding them on their.
Speaker 1: Way, guiding them. Oh, I didn't even think about that.
Speaker 2: That's that's the climax of the movie, right, yep. That's got to be the climate.
Speaker 1: They are getting weaved and pulled through life to get to the old some destination, which is their loved one who's leaving on an airplane, and they've got to catch them before they board the plane because if they were to board the plane, they'll never see them again.
Speaker 2: We know this.
Speaker 1: You can't just get on a fight and follow them or drive and fly, you know, follow them. This is it. If they get on that plane, it's over.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I never thought about that. Now, when I'm driving, you know, snowy conditions, bad weather, and somebody's flying through, I'm not only gonna think God, wish I could do that. I'm gonna be thinking somebody found love. Yeah, that's incredible.
Speaker 2: We got to get Johnny get Bateman on the phone.
Speaker 1: Get Bateman's perfect for these movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm thinking. I'm thinking you can play Cupid and the main lead both.
Speaker 1: Yeah, actually genius, genius, he plays both, but they both act different? Well, can Bateman play a different way?
Speaker 2: Oh, he's got range range.
Speaker 1: Baby seems like a guy, this is who he is.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean you'd have you'd have arrested development Bateman. Yeah, who would be the Cupid obviously, because he's kind of a bumbling.
Speaker 1: Guy, kind of bumbling it and then you get.
Speaker 2: Like Ozark Bateman that oh.
Speaker 1: True, he's a little more conniving, little serious. Okay, all right, little more Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 2: Character that you can really root for, root for. Yeah, you know, you gotta really for us.
Speaker 1: I've never played a character you root for, that's for damn sure. He's a character you enjoy watching. He's a character that when he talks, you're like, yeah, I mean, I don't hate it. He's not a guy you root for. That's funny. Bateman would He's gotta play both, gotta play both. Yes, that's great. But but if Bateman plays both, Cupid in this instance can't be the chubby baby. Cupid's got to be in like a red suit, pink suit, red suit.
Speaker 2: You got Christmas on the mind? Stop thinking about Cupid Christmas?
Speaker 1: Telling me Valentine's does it ever read related to it?
Speaker 2: I think you could cgi CGI.
Speaker 1: So it's just his face, it's his head on a chubby baby. This is now CGI the budgets climbing. Not only did we cast Bateman in two roles, now we have Cgi involved well.
Speaker 2: Plus the baby is an assassin a ninja.
Speaker 1: Baatement's playing the assassin ninja. There's a whole other movie. Oh yes, there's a whole franchise of Cupid ship. I think we can do, like there's a whole there's a whole thing here.
Speaker 2: That's good, that's really good.
Speaker 1: Think about it. This is this has got some good levels to it. You know who else?
Speaker 2: I love?
Speaker 1: How when's last time you were at Target?
Speaker 2: It's been it's been a couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Target. You ever go back to electronics area and they always have those like cell phone salespeople, now, YE love them. Those people you walk by they're like, hey, who do you?
Speaker 3: Who do you?
Speaker 1: Who do you have for a cell phone service? Like Verizon? And they're like, oh great, I could have said anything in that moment, and they would have said, oh great, I'm gonna save you money. It doesn't matter if I have the very service they're trying to sell me. They would have said, oh great, I'm gonna save some money. I love that, the positivity, the energy they have to come save me money.
Speaker 2: But they're going to benefit you, yes, that they're gonna make your life better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, other people will do that. One time, I'm walking and they're like, hey, who do you use? And I'm like, oh, here's how it started. I said hi, and the lady's like, oh, hey, who do you use for service? And I'm like, oh, Verizon, you know, don't you? And then like, well, how do you feel about it? I love it have a Verizon like my whole life. Love them, not leave it them, like love them awesome. Here, let me ask you a question. And I'm just like, well, all right, all a sudden their spiel because sometimes it's just kind of I'm gonna like I love to hear.
Speaker 2: I don't think that's I don't think that's a nerd category.
Speaker 1: Like I think like a crazy person like a nerd is.
Speaker 2: Somebody like I like, you know, horses, Okay.
Speaker 1: You know I like sci fi and yeah, not salespeople. So then she she goes through, she puts in my stuff. It's a whole thing. And then it turns out and I remember, I have no intentions of switching my service or doing whatever she's selling me. I'm just along for the ride. So then she gets to the end and I'm just like, you know what, I think I'm good and blew her mind. Could not understand what I was doing. It's like, listen, I think what you're doing is great, because I do. I think what they're doing is fantastic.
Speaker 2: Did you make physical contact with the salesperson at this time? Did you five? Did you like pat her on the back?
Speaker 1: I did not.
Speaker 2: Was this like a serious like did you channel dat energy? She she tries, as you can channel dad energy through the hand into the.
Speaker 1: There was a thing. There was a moment in the series of questions where whatever I answered, she gave me a fist bump for so I did do the fist bump, okay, but I didn't like belittle her if that's what you're asking and pat her on the head and be like this is really good. I never did any of that. But in the end, I was like, you know what, I'm good. I love Verizon. I'm not leaving Verizon actually sponsoring this side of the podcast episode this week, so this is great and uh and I'm just like, you know, but I love what you're doing. I love your strategy. I loved everything about what's happening here.
Speaker 2: I could tell that you loved it because as you were telling me the story, you would avert your eyes like and look away. Yeah, which as we've as we've stayed it before. Yes, that's I mean, that is an approval mechanism right there. Mm hmm. It's you make eye contact, you say what you're gonna say, and then yeah, you get out of there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just think it's fun, you know, people doing their jobs and doing it at a high level. I did appreciate, you know, her willingness to be excited when I told her very basic things about my cell phone plan. And you know, that's just fun. Like the energy like she's going places, I guess.
Speaker 2: Was kind of my what was this person's name, no clue.
Speaker 1: No clue, didn't care. I And it's not that I don't care that she has a name. I'm excited that she has a name.
Speaker 2: Names are important.
Speaker 1: Names are important. Everyone loves to hear their name. I just didn't care to remember it beyond that moment, I guess, so I moved on.
Speaker 2: It's it's kind of you know, it's amazing as you just talk about these these chances for people to share, share who they actually are and really get that out in the world. And so I love like my apartment, my gym. Yeah, there I'll go, I'll do some treadmill, you know, I'll do some different stuff, you know, maybe like listen to a podcast or you know, do something while I'm in there. And what I love is when people in there use the TVs and then turn the volume up way really really loud so that they can hear it over the treadmill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's loud. Yeah, especially if they're running. Yeah they need so what's happening?
Speaker 2: Then I get to hear what they're listening to instead of what I'm listening to. Yes, So again you have this just great like melting pot of like I wonder what they're going to watch? Have you ever got I wonder what we're going to watch?
Speaker 1: Have you ever considered that in a world where you have earbuds or headphones in and you could listen to your own thing that somebody might be more important than you. That's where in that situation, that's how I would feel. I would be like, you know what, you have a good point, sir. I know you didn't ask me how I felt about this, but good point.
Speaker 2: You know. Actually not I think about it. It's very selfish of me to keep you know, the podcast to myself. Yeah, so I think next time I go to the gym, I need to bring, you know, my Bluetooth speaker in there, and when they have that, I'll blast this episode. Yes, that way they know how much I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think how fun it would be there. They turn the volume up. It's loud, right, you can't hear your own thing, and uh, you like turn off your whatever you're listening to. You start intently watching and listening to what they're but now you're commenting on and talking to them about it. Yeah, and be like, oh, that's great, Oh they got the wrong one, and just start spouting out like things about it, like if you're gonna turn it on for everybody? Yeah, one like if you're gonna do that, if you're going to take over the room, let's all get it on it, like, let's go.
Speaker 2: That would that would be a great plan. But I'm one of the kind of people that if I'm looking at something on the treadmill that's to my left, I'm gonna fall off that thing.
Speaker 1: Oh really, yeah, you have to look to the right.
Speaker 2: I'm one of the people that they have those bars on the side of the treadmill to like keep me in place because of my attention strayed to the right of the left all unconsciously start walking that direction.
Speaker 1: You're a guy that if it had a seat belt, you'd wear it on the treadmill.
Speaker 2: I have clipped the emergency stop line to to my to my shorts before.
Speaker 1: How fast do you go get them?
Speaker 2: Good? Four miles an hour?
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, that's brisk, that's okay. So it's not like you're just yeah, yeah, bumbling around like you're you're going, yeah, I've got places to be. Yeah, you really do? How long? How long do you go at that rate? The four miles part? How long are you going on the treadmill?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean recently I've been doing four.
Speaker 1: Miles a day for okay, so pretty good. Go.
Speaker 2: I got this Europe trip and the one thing about Europe. Yeah, you're walking, You're on your feet, You're walking the entire time. So I got to make sure that, you know, the heart and the legs are willing.
Speaker 1: So you're you're training and working out for purpose, yeah and not just for yeah, for health well, and.
Speaker 2: I want to be ready to because you know, another thing that I love is when I'm at the airport and there are people at the airport that don't know what they're doing, where they're gone, or how to get there.
Speaker 1: What are you talking about?
Speaker 2: So you know, yeah, just the people that you know, the people that don't have TSA pre check that are going through and we got to take our shoes off. Now, we got to take our coats off. Like they show up to the front the metal detectors and they don't have everything ready and so they've got all the questions. Like the TSA officers have to repeat the instructions, you know, like every like twenty seconds. I got to say, like all shoes in the bin. Like these are the people that didn't hear it the first twenty times that they said shoes in the bin, and now are at the front of the line and now have their shoes still on their feet. Yeah, and it's not going to be a quick process for them to get those shoes up there.
Speaker 1: All right, I could. Here's the thing, like I love I love those people too, the people who are oblivious to the world, right, the people who have flown multiple times and since two thousand and one, and they understand the restrictions and the process, right, but they're shocked every time that they get there, which then slows it down. That's the that's the things pre check. How fast does that actually get you through the line faster?
Speaker 2: I mean Omaha here, Yeah, I don't think I've ever flown out of Omaha and had to take longer than three minutes for me to get from standing there waiting for the guy to call me up and going through.
Speaker 1: The So it's clutch, like it's it's an absolute.
Speaker 2: It used to be a challenge to me when my folks would drop me off when I'd be up here to visit, to see how fast I could go from their car to my gate. Wow, And I think that was my record was like three minutes and like fifteen seconds one time.
Speaker 1: But that doesn't give you, well, I guess that gives you more time than to hit the airport bar.
Speaker 2: Yep, yep, there's one thing I love. It's an eighteen dollars beer. Yeah, but I get to look out the window and see airplane.
Speaker 1: Correct, That's I was just about to say, It's not about the price of the beer. It's about the atmosphere and the experience of it, and that's what you're paying for. Yeah, that's there's just that's just like you're not gonna pay Like I bought two beers at the Creighton basketball game last night, and it was like twenty two dollars. I'm I didn't bat an eye. No, not because I have all this money to buy beers, but because I knew I was paying for the experience in the atmosphere and where I was at, Like, I know, I could complain about it, but then what does that do? Give me no beer? So that's just kind of where I was at.
Speaker 2: That's the Uh. When I used to go to the Braves games in Atlanta, yeh, I'd buy the cheapest ticket just to get in. Yeah you know, and just be like, I'm not spending more than thirty bucks to go to this game, right If there's not a thirty dollars ticket that I'm just not gonna go right because.
Speaker 1: You know you're gonna buy beers.
Speaker 2: But I would buy that thirty dollars ticket, or I'd buy that ten dollars ticket, and then i'd have, you know, three beers on top of that. That would be fifty to sixty bucks.
Speaker 1: But now I've paid the price of what that expensive ticket might have been. Yea, yeah, that's that's just kind of how it is.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: Appreciate to the airport bar, and like that situation. You get through, like you were saying, you get through the people you love, which is the people who slowed down the process. You get through them, and it's kind of like your reward then is to have an ice cold beer yep, while you're waiting in a situation where everybody's waiting in tense about being there on time. Everybody's in the same boat. Now, everybody is in that moment of am I gonna get where I need to go on time? Do I have time for this? Or am I killing time? Like everybody's in that same boat. It's kind of it's kind of nice.
Speaker 2: I love, you know, having that a little bit of that arrogance at the airport, Like, yeah, I've flown a few times. Yeah, yeah, my flight's not for you know, it's another thirty minutes, but I know that you know, fifteen of that's going to be them letting you know, first class in yep. So yeah, I'll take another beer.
Speaker 1: Right, you know what's up?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I'm not beyond you know, getting a little flustered. Then when it gets to about five minutes out and it's just like I need that check. Yeah, now, all right, picture of this in your head. Opening scene of the movie, Bateman is at the airport bar orders his second beer. He's got an empty rate in front of him, or is that second beer? And in the in the action of him reaching over to grab the beer, the bottle slips in his hand. Well, Cupid is off to the left shooting the arrow, and the bottle, you know, wobbling on the table is just enough to hit Cupid's arrow off and make it hit the wrong person.
Speaker 1: So he goes for the second one. It ricochets off the bottle.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so somebody else hit somebody else, and so then you have this symmetry in the movie of the first scene is Bateman at the bar by himself obviously, yeah, yeah, And then at the end, you've got Cupid guying Bateman's car to the airport to you know, reconnect him, reunite him with his true love.
Speaker 1: And there's our story.
Speaker 2: Finn.
Speaker 1: Oh, this this thing is going to be so good. Yeah, this is gonna be like an all time Valentine's Day theme movie. It's gonna be an all time Cupid movie, and it's gonna be the first of its kind. And I think because like Valentine's Date, there's an actual movie called Valentine's Day. Ashton Kutcher stars in it. There's this like thear theorizing of Cupid, you know, in the air, like Cubid's in the air, you know, but there's not an actual guy.
Speaker 2: Well there's difference. There's not just a guy Bateman.
Speaker 1: God, I love Bateman. Is it too late to get Bateman on this episode to like kind of pitch it talk about it?
Speaker 2: I'm pretty sure I told Johnny about thirty minutes ago.
Speaker 1: Johnny, it's not, Uh, it's not that hard to get a guy. He's a he's got one of the largest podcasts in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right now, a lot of time on his hands. Yeah, I mean, what other reason would you spend that much time to a podcast.
Speaker 1: Anybody podcasting has time on their hands, and you it would be great, you know, to uh just kind.
Speaker 2: Of spitball some things with him.
Speaker 1: That would be fun. This is a poem from the perspective of Cisco called Thongs and Love. She walks in thongs shining bright, got my heart racing, feels so right. It's not just the thong, it's the way she moves her. Love's got me grooving. I can't lose Thongs on the floor, love in the air. I'm all about the rhythm. But she's my care The thongs are sweet, but love's the key. Cisco heart beats for you and me. So let's dance. Let the though swing. This loves the realist thing. It's not just about what you wear. It's the love we got beyond. Compare man Valentine's Day. We learned a lot today. Yeah, we learned a lot today.
Speaker 2: Reason to celebrate that second Friday in February.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the second Friday of February, February fourteenth, every single year. So well, hold on the second Friday of February every year, February fourteenth, Valentine's Day. That's how you remember it. That's how you book it, that's how you remember it. That's founded in Kansas City, Missouri by an irishman by an irishman in nineteen ten that ran a company that nineteen fifty four eventually became the Hallmark Company. So this is the type of we might get community noted.
Speaker 2: I think what I'm looking forward to is one hundred years from now when somebody's doing there podcast. Yeah, and they're like Cupid one it, Yes, the O G Cupid movie, Let's spawn sixty sequels.
Speaker 1: Sixty sequels, all starring Jason Bateman.
Speaker 2: Yep. Ye, that's that's gonna be awesome. God, I've already got you know, Cupid four.
Speaker 1: Well, you're you're in this deep four.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we got we got Cupid Bateman yep, we got Patrick Bateman the character, and then we got.
Speaker 1: Patrick Bateman from American Psycho.
Speaker 2: All right, so we got Bateman the baby. Then okay, and I'm thinking Bateman plays all three.
Speaker 1: Bait so Bateman pet so hold on? Is Jason Bateman playing the character Patrick Bateman.
Speaker 3: In the.
Speaker 1: Third one?
Speaker 2: A lot has happened? Uh, you know Cupid became a ninja in the second movie. Yeah, when he was trying to be a matchmaker. Yeap for Patrick Bateman. For Patrick Bateman, I mean he knows his kink. Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. Oh man, that's good stuff. Well that's uh, you know what, somebody somewhere in Hollywood's gonna listen to this episode and they're gonna make him a lot of money because we didn't drade Park the ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Thanks for coming on.
Speaker 2: Laugh with me or Happy Valentine's Yeah.
Speaker 1: Happy Valentine's Day, everybody. This poem is written by somebody that we lost this past year. Mister O J. Simpson oj ran Fast alleged did play a football star, admired each day, but shadows fell. A trial took flight, a nation watched through day and night. The glove didn't fit. The world was torn fame and scandal, a life reborn, from touchdowns to courtroom cries, A legacy stained beneath the skies.