Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 1: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This he's Talking Cowboys Straining live from.
Speaker 1: The Dallas Cowboys World Headquarters at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 3: Pops six second Pascot Tisia.
Speaker 1: Touchdown and now your hosts Isaiah Standback, Patrick Walker, Josh Rodriguez, and Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 3: Ladies and gentlemen of Talking Cowboys Nation, I have an announcement for you. This is the first show of Week one of the twenty twenty five season. It also because it's a Thursday night football game, happens to be the last show before the Philadelphia Eagles matchup on Thursday and week one. So I hope you are ready because we have the whole cast and crew ready for you to rock today. We have Patrick Nocy Walker, we have Josh Roderiguez, we have Chris Beam in the back.
Speaker 1: I'm Kyle Yeoman's back in the saddle with a back brace on. Is Isaiah standback in the building. Because it's a saying with your chest.
Speaker 3: Tuesday, here on Talking Cowboys for in about Black Rifle Coffee Company, Live from the Star in Frisco, Texas.
Speaker 1: And the studio. It is time to break it down because it's regular season these parks. I have a question for you, Kyle, I'm fired up. I have a question for you. What's that is there? An? Is there? Are there any other shows on this platform that break it down like we do? Now? Okay, I was just wondering the same way we do. No, definitely not that, whilst also engaging with the fans the way we do with the kind of aura that we deliver. Definitely with the Eye Candy, this is nobody. Nobody has Eye Canada we have. This is all aura, that's all.
Speaker 3: I'm ready to get into this. Do it because Isaia one, it's great to have you back. I haven't had you back since your back surgery.
Speaker 1: Bro, you're doing all right. It's these three weeks.
Speaker 3: It's been three weeks calling multiple preseason games, calling HBCU Classic games from Canton, Ohio for the NFL Network, flying from Texas to Cali, from Texas to Ohio to do NFL Network broadcast.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure you're just hunky door. You haven't had a single lick of pain the whole way. Good thing you didn't have a major I don't know what I was thinking spine or anything.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the whole back surgery thing was crazy. It was something that was needed. Everybody's like, why'd you do it?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: Because I had to do it at some point. It was either like do it after the season and be miserable the whole offseason, or do it during the season and be distracted. Well, you know by the work, you know. So I had to get it done. My whole spinal fusion was necessary because my spine was collapse. It was displaced all the things. So they had to pull my spine back in place, raise it up, put an insert in there, screw it in, went through the front by the way. Okay, they went through my stomach, okay, moved everything out the way, got to my spine, put the insert in, turned me over. Use the robot to put the screws in through my back as well. So I'm a half inch taller now, boys, really, how about that? Yeah that was the real surgery. We need some new combound messure. Yeah, yeah, we need comb They had me at sixty two and a half at the I'm officially six to three, So officially six three two fifty now that's that. No, So, no, the first week. The first week suck. Shout out to my wife Natalie, who literally held me down, picked me up, did all the things. I'll keep away from some of the stories that we have behind the scenes that she had to deal with, but she was awesome through that first week. That second week got a little bit better. Then I had to start traveling, and that was that being by yourself for almost week and a half. At least, pull the first class on those they take care of you. Yeah, okay, yeah, the NFL, NFL network takes care of you know in that regardless.
Speaker 3: Of just make sure because coach in that scenario with not that's what I would have Isaiah.
Speaker 5: Stand back, we're talking about I'm not getting Ky the other one way or the other.
Speaker 1: He's in first class. So that was all good. And then you know, right before I was able to fly out of l A to go to Ohio, something around here happened. Yeah that you know, they did it right before the Friday show on Good Morning Football. So that was awesome being at the table having to address all that stuff because you know, everybody's like, Isaiah, how about them Cowboys? So what did they do? The whole Michael Parsons thing. Obviously, I know you guys already covered it, but that was that was what want you take you want my take on it? I, first of all, I did not believe that the Joneses would pull that move. I and there was nothing in me that would state that you have a generational player like that and you will actually make the move. Now, is it that team or is it the moving No, just to move in generals move to have it talent like that and to let him go, that takes some gusto. That takes some gusta regardless of whatever reasonings you may have, that still takes some cohonas in order to take.
Speaker 3: It's a stable Okay, speaking of that, it did if I was thinking about this maybe a day and a half ago. And at the end of that documentary, one of the final I think it was the final episode, there's a there's a clip that went viral where Jerry's talking to Ram's ownership and he said, oh, I just don't have the cohonas. I don't have the guts to make the trade that you guys did with Stafford and Golf, talking about the Ram Stafford Golf trade, and he's like, I don't have the cohonas to do that, and so that went viral. Of course, Cowboys, Twitter, Cowboys, everything picked it up, and then we see a move like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just I don't know if there's a direct correlation. There may or may not be, but I truly believe that if you had any question gens as to the impact of Stephen Jones and Will McLay on mister Jerry Jones, I think this probably was the most impactful, polarizing way to describe their influence on mister Jones. People forget they said unanimous. Yes, And the reason why I say that is because you look at you. I don't know that they samous. I don't believe that it was completely unanimous, but I do think that it was heavily weighted in the favor of what they opted to do. I'll take that, Yeah, but I believe that their influence in terms of especially when McClay and Stephen Jones really just take it. Not to say that Double J can't make his own decisions, but I'm just saying that to be able to say, hey, take the motion out of it. Let's take the motion out of it. Is take the fact that this dude is as an absolute beast of a player. Let's look at it strategically. Let's look at it with the mentality of we're trying to build this roster, and you can have a handful of very dominant players, where you can have a roster of really good players, right, and when we're really good across the board, it's really difficult to stop, right because if you have a handful of really good players, now we can gain plan that. Now we can focus on that player, now we can highlight that. But if everybody on your roster is making an impact, then it's like, dang. And when you as we get ready to talk about the egos, especially their defense, who's the one person that you circle on their defense that you're like, oh, you better watch out for this guy is really it's really I mean, there's one guy that does absolute beast right in terms of their d line, But you have to respect everybody, everybody like the group, So that harder is the headline. Jalen Caller is a headliner, but like, you can't just focus on Jaylen Carter because somebody else will kill you too. So that's the approach that I feel like Dallas is really getting to and I think that they're coming to that maturity, right. I don't want to say that in a demoralizing way, right, but like there, I think they've matured over this last year in regards to understanding what it takes to put together a full team. So I want to give kudos to the front office for making for being willing to make the move with the understanding that it's going to be painful. But if you turn around and do what you can do with that space, with the with those draft picks, with the players that you acquired, with the player you acquired, then you could actually have a much better team. Quick question for you, because we've all all answered these questions, but the fans of the Best Cowboys podcast on Earth, I want to hear your take on this. How are you on the compensation package? I think they could have gotten more. There would go there, we could have gone. That's a complete and the reason why is because understanding who you're trading with when you receive those first round pixels are low first round picks, So that's why I believe that you could have gotten more.
Speaker 3: I think you needed another player, one another starter, one more starter, and I think I would have.
Speaker 1: Been okay, And I don't think they would have given that up Green Bay. I don't think they would have done that. And that's fair. Well then yeah, I mean next if it was, Yeah, I think there's a handful of teams that I probably would have called in regards to that. I think one of those to address the areas of your concern. Baltimore probably would have been high on my list in terms of not having to deal with them in your in your in your conference, and them having some depth at the defensive line position. That would have also been late first round. No, no, for sure, it would have been late first round. Or but in terms of teams that have additional guys to where it can utilize, yes, in terms of the positional need that you have strengthen an exact opponent, Yeah, but I do Again, I everybody asked them, what do you think about this? If they use the draft picks, if they use the salary cap space, if they use additional money, then it's all. Then then the Cowboys as an organization could be looked at and you can say, good job on the trail. And they did that right the first and first day. First step they did was go out there, let's secure Durn Bland, and I would imagine the next step is going to be Tyler Smith, right, and then after that then you could use those draft picks and say, hey, we could either use these draft picks to go acquire somebody else as an impact player, because it's hard for organization to turn down and offer for a first round pick, even if it's a low first round pick. If you you have a starter on your team, maybe they were a former All Pro bowler, and you say, hey, I want that guy, I'll give your first round pick. Almost every gym is going to be like what you say, not yet? Yeah they heard first, Yeah, they heir first round picks.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 1: So they're all regardless, regardless of where it's at. Right. So I believe especially teams that need to get some depth and that have some salary cap issues, right, but they want to add some more impact players. So I think that they are in a really good position. I am intrigued and I'm proud of what they've already done, but I'm intrigued as to what else they're going to do because there are some more holes that they need to fill.
Speaker 3: This is the whole compensation package debate, and it can be ended by one thing, and that's hitting on whatever they do next. And that's what Patrick said last week, That's what Josh echoed last week. We talked about this at nauseum. So I don't want to harp on Michael Parsons as much anymore because Eagles got your thoughts.
Speaker 1: But they have hit the first domino. Deron blam. That four year deal for your extension awesome for him. I love it for Doran.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think all of us across the board have gotten to know Doron since he was drafted a couple of years back, and he's one of the salt of the earth guys in that locker room. Just an incredible player, super deserving what he's done to work to get to this point, to overcome adversity to be who he is now.
Speaker 1: I love this for him, and I don't know how you can be critical of this move. It's a great deal. I don't know how you get critical hits great. It's a great deal.
Speaker 5: And if you consider, like how much he's guaranteed thirty six point three you have a potential out in twenty twenty seven. It's which would essentially be a thirty six point three million dollars deal. With thirteen million a dead cap, something that you could definitely get over. But you also consider the how many other fifth round picks have been extended like this, you know, like you have to go back to twenty twenty when you look at George Kittle, who has signed a five year extension seventy five million dollars in twenty twenty, and then the most recent example was Diammador Leonore in last year, five year extension ninety two million dollars.
Speaker 1: He one of the few. Yeah, the next fifth round picks, Williams.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's probably the next fifth round pick that gets extended like that, and he's running back, so whatever that number is gonna look.
Speaker 5: Like, Yeah, exactly. The impressive for a fifth rounder.
Speaker 3: Though, yeahs amazing and I love the proactiveness We've always if you're one of the people that are upset with the Micah trade Andrew upset with Deron Bland, you can maybe tie those two things together because they're kind of tied together because of the money that you left over. However, if you're one of these people that are upset with how the Micah situation began and the late start to the Mica situation and then you're mad about Deron Bland.
Speaker 1: Stop it, because this is this is avoiding that. I feel like, do you guys get the same sentiment that Dallas fans in general were substantially more upset about the Luca trade than they worry about Micah. Absolutely, it shouldn't hunt one. Yeah, Luca's trade was far more jarring. Yeah, that's far more.
Speaker 5: And it's surprising too, because you've seen the sort of writing on the wall with Micah divorce that has been kind of a buzzword they've used over the last few weeks. I mean, Good Morning Football used it. You know, it's it's something that we were sort of alluding to this whole time. Granted, it was still very surprising. Michael was at it.
Speaker 1: What was Luca?
Speaker 3: It was a player in two first right now, it was a twenty twenty nine first and two players and they also sent Max.
Speaker 1: But it was also to Josh's point, it was the compensation is not even club, not even, But it was also the shock value out of nowhere in the middle of the night sports wise. For sports historians, especially NFL historians, you will recognize this this comp I equate the Luca trade to the Coats in the Mayflower Trucks, parting Baltimore in what it felt like the middle of the night for that franchise to leave the city. I mean for it to be what was like eleven eleven thirty pm Central time, and all of a sudden, a meteor hits the earth and Luca is traded, just springing back a bunch of emotions, and then and then on top of that, you look at the compensation and you say, and that's it. Also, yeah, this is true.
Speaker 3: When when my wife told me, because we went to sleep early that night, we have the kids, you know, like whatever. So I woke up the next day and my wife, my wife was like, they traded Luca.
Speaker 1: And I was like, stop it, no they did. What are you talking about? And I was she was like, no, it's real, it's everywhere. I was like, well, then what did we get? Did we get seven first round picks?
Speaker 3: Because first round picks in the NBA are not even close to the equivalent of first round picks in the NFL.
Speaker 1: They're completely weighed differently.
Speaker 3: And even with that, the Cowboys got more for Michael Parsons than the then the MAVs got for Luca. And that was before the lottery and that whole thing, and of course Cooper flag whatever. This is not the same and one is not the same. Let's move on to the fact that Doron Bland is now a cowboy. He's locked up over your corners.
Speaker 1: Expected to be available in week one?
Speaker 7: You know who else might be expected to be Oh yeah, let's talk about it, fellas there's an injury or another first team all no less Yeah, and Trayvon Diggs, dolly kind of important, kind of important.
Speaker 1: He was a full participant in yesterday's practice. Was that where the cow full full full, not limited, not limited to one hundred percent full full? So why he's playing like completely? We asked him, We asked him about in the locker room, and he did say, in his words, he's a seventy five eighty percent. Basically what that is is he doesn't want to step over the training staff. He doesn't want to step over the medical staff. Not showing the cards, right, he still has to be cleared. I mean, if you say seventy five percent, you just showed did you say he showed respect to the training staff? He did? Whoa he did? You're talking about Trayvon Diggs? Yeah? Absolutely, wow, Which is in the first time felt because last week I believe he you know, he showed full respect to Britt Brown and jimmar and the trending staff. So yeah, I know, right, narratives funny how that works. So so yeah, or before after Michael Drake, this was before that was before he said my team clock it. So Trevon Diggs full participant, says seventy five to eighty percent chance he plays against the Eagles. I view it as barn to set back over the next day or so. I think Trayvon Diggs is on the field. Question is is he on a pitch count?
Speaker 8: Is he not?
Speaker 1: But I think he takes my field. That would be absolutely huge for the Dallas Cowboys. What did we talk about timing? Again, which position was in arguably the most dire straits? It was cornerback. You didn't know if Trayvon would be ready. You didn't know, you know what where they would play, deron, so forth and so on. So what you do you make sure Dron's locked in, he's fully healthy, unlike last year he had the fractured foot that came out of nowhere. He's going to be on the field. Treyvon Diggs well ahead of schedule. Looks like he's going to be on the field. Great kyer elam coming off of a great training camp. So your top three guys are looking real crisp right now. Crisp again.
Speaker 5: Treyvon Diggs hasn't played in a while, and no bigger litmus test than we can one against arguably the best of the best.
Speaker 1: Surf here it comes in and then flipping to the offensive side of the ball. We had another full participant that is tracking a little bit ahead of schedule, Tyler guiding your starting left tackle. I like that guy as it stands, it's trending toward taking the field against the Philadelphia Eagles, and I love what Nate Thomas has shown. And I don't know that we talk about pitchcuns. I don't know that Tyler Goyton will be fully unleashed, but he is taking full participation in team drill, so it looks like he could be on the field as well, and it could be a combo of he and Nate Thomas out there trying to trying to stop the good news. Well, the good news is is when it comes to the Eagles, as we foreshadow, the Eagles, when it comes to the Eagles, they're not the Giants when it comes to the edge rushers. They're not some of the better edge and edge rush team as far as depth is concerned. Right right, you don't point at the Eagles, And Isaiah makes a good point. There are guys that you're like, Okay, Jalen Carter is the headliner, and there's like a Zach Bond and okay, those guys can impact games. But at the edge, there's no one that you look at and say, oh, that's that dude, right like you will on the interior. So I'm not saying it's going to be an easy goal for the Cowboys on the edges at all. What I'm saying is this at the edges may not be as as difficult a game as if you go against it. Just week one from last year exactly at that position. So yeah, so you know we'll see Tyler got in full participant, Treyvon Diggs full participant, Cowboys training in the right direction healthwise. Now, unfortunately, Perryon Winfrey did mispractice with some back tightness, which now does matter however you feel about the Michael trade, good, bad, or indifferent. This Kenny Clark addition might have just been became extremely fortuitous.
Speaker 3: You're saying, Okay, it's like, wait a second, look at let's not hold no death standpoint.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, So if Perryon Winfrey is not on the field, and you already have questions about what Mozzie Smith can or cannot be, if Kenny Clark is not in the building and Perryon Winfrey is not on the field, do I have to finish this comment? Like how much more concerning could that be? So what I'm saying is it was alright. I'm just saying the timing of because we talked about Kenny Clark does upgrade the defense as absolutely so he went from then That's what I'm saying. Fine, but if he's not here and perry On Winfrey is unable to go, is my point? Now you go from bad to you know, holy sugar, honey beam. I'm not going to finish the statement because I learn that. All right, I'm going a little QB vision. We are so done your studying? Is that a real question?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 1: So bad? All right?
Speaker 3: When we come back here on talking Cowboys, it's time to preview the Cowboys offense up against that Philadelphia Eagles defense.
Speaker 1: I hate the Eagles. Isaiah breaks it down when we come back right after this.
Speaker 9: AT and T has a new guarantee because most things in life are not guaranteed, like getting through self checkout by yourself warning.
Speaker 6: Each item must be placed in the bagging area.
Speaker 1: Not guarantee.
Speaker 6: Place item in the bagging area. Place im in the bagging area.
Speaker 1: You know what. AT and T guarantees connectivity.
Speaker 9: You depend on deals you want, in service you deserve, or we make it right terms and conditions. Survive is a att dot com SLAST guarantee for details. AT and T connecting changes everything.
Speaker 2: Every day begins with a promise, a promise to work hard and to build a future. That's why we're here providing the tools, expertise and John Deere equipment you have relied on for generations to help you get.
Speaker 1: The job done right. We're with you.
Speaker 2: That's our promise to you, because no matter the project or the challenge you're facing, where are you?
Speaker 1: Where are you not it?
Speaker 3: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store and.
Speaker 1: Pick up a bag of Black Rifle coffee.
Speaker 3: That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffeeisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee today.
Speaker 10: As America's leading business lender, Bank of America is on your corner and in your corner with over nine billion dollars in business loans and more than one hundred and forty business specialists right here in North Texas. We help businesses thrive, so communities prosper. What would you like the power to do? Learn more at Bankfamerica dot com, slash Local Business. Bank of America Official Bank of FIFA Club World Cup twenty twenty five Copyright twenty twenty five. Bank of America Corporation alreadys reserved.
Speaker 1: To Talking Cowboys. Back You're on, Talking Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This portion of the show is brought to you by in Visi Line, the official Smile of the Dallas Cowboys. We're all smiles because we have everybody back in the building today. We are so excited to have Isaiah back, and it's mostly just because he does film study.
Speaker 1: It's time for a little bit of why Eddie, Why Eddie cut up? It's time for QB vision with Isaiah's standback. Welcome back, Bud, Thanks Bud.
Speaker 5: I need you to wear that like the strap the play Oh I should I told get that for those that are the visual at home, but to officially you have to have to do the voice.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 1: Well we're back week one. No, really excited about this matchup, you guys. Obviously the Philadelphia Eagles, as much as you might despise them, you got to put some respect on their name. No, they are the defending champions. These guys return argus arguably the best defense from last year. As a Dallas Cowboys now approach them. They're not the same defense and Dallas do not have the same offense. So we can look at last year's film all we want to. The reality is last year Dak Prescott did not play against the Philadelphia Egos. He did not at all. The reality is last year they had a dude in the middle of named Milton Williams. He's no longer there, former LA Tech Bulldog. So they have some pieces. They don't have big play Slagh who wasn't necessarily a big play guy nomore. They don't have a handful of guys. However, this is Johnson Eagles team returns, and those guys that you mentioned are some of the three of the five guys that are not returning. For these guys as starters, they had seventeen returners of twenty two. When I say that they let's get to what they want to do. Okay, what they want to do and what they have shown against you in the past is these guys want to be a single high team. They will show two high safeties. And the reason why this is important, listeners, is because that is the first thing that the quarterback identifies when he comes to the line of scrimmage. Where are the safeties? So if I find my safeties, those guys are back there, they look like they're playing too high. All right, Now, I work my way down towards the line of scrimmage. When a line of scrimmage, you guys heard it. I don't know if you guys listen to the our dot com Dallas Cowboys dot Com a lot of great interviews, but Dak Prescott is on record saying that they don't show a lot, they don't do a lot, and that's very true. These guys play are very simplistic vig fangio fungo defense. However, they are very selective and effective at what they do. The big fellas upfront allow for them to play simplistic. They allow for them to play fast. And when I say the big fellas, let's talk about it Jalen Carter ninety eight, you gotta find him. You gotta know ezactly where he's at, and you better buckle up your bootstraps and tighten up your belt because he is coming downhill. He's a big force who not only can stuff the a gaps, but he also can pass rush. He's a problem. He is the problem on the defense for the Philadelphia Eagles. There's another dude who necessarily hasn't played up to the level. I feel he's capable of playing that. But he's a house in Jordan Davis that's gonna be playing right next to him. Those two big fellas in the middle are huge. They allow for their linebackers to run and hit, and their linebackers are active. Their linebackers are very smart, and their linebackers are very physical Zach Bond is a problem. Nolan Smith, who actually had an opportunity to get to know a little bit this offseason by being on GMFB. He might be the one of the most passionate football players that I've met. Go dogs, I wasn't going to. I wasn't going to.
Speaker 6: Like.
Speaker 1: The only other, only other player that has given me that feeling in their presence is Demo. Oh cool, likes he's like that, like like super passionate, wants to learn this one of our guys, Yeah, for sure, for sure. But those guys and the reason why I say you have to highlight those two guys. You highlight those two linebackers and then you have to obviously go straight to Cooper Degen. Cooper Degen from to me is like another even though he's a cover nickel and all that stuff, he likes to insert himself into the box along with read blanker ship as well. Huh he has hands too. But those guys, the reason why I bring those guys up is because that front line doesn't allow your offensive line to get past them. Right. So if you're blocking these guys up front, you have five offensive linemen, but two of those guys are taking up your middle three. Now, the defensive ends, your tackles are responsible for those guys. Last time I checked, that's five on four. And if it's five on four, then who can get up to those three guys at the second level. Nobody. That's when it's a problem. Nolan Smith is fast and he is decisive. Zach Bond, we know what he's able to do. He's able to force turnovers by being physical. He's a smart, intellectual guy. So that front seven presents a problem. There where I think that they are exposed now in twenty twenty five is in their secondary. Because these guys want to be a single high team. They'll show too high, but then they'll rotate their safety down into the box for run support because they want to take away that element of your game. They want to get you passing the ball. They can no longer do that. That's our assumption before we see our non Villanella version of this offense. The assumption is that they have to now make some business decisions with their secondary. The offensive line has to deal with those guys up front. That's your own problem, okay, and you got to figure out how to establish some kind of run game and get up to the second level combo blocks all that thing. You have to establish a run game. If you are able to establish a run game, now can they roll Can they truly roll that safety into the box and do what they want to do with a vic Fangil defense. Whenever he blitzes, he blitzes off the edge. It is not really Oh that's really scary. You know where it's coming from, the reason why that's a problem for them potentially is because Dak Prescott is back. He can identify what you're doing. Jake Ferguson is back, and you have to have somebody who can cover him. And if you're either going to cover him with a safety or you're going to cover him with one of those high intellectual linebackers that we talked about, do you really want to use one of those linebackers to stick Jake Ferguson or do you want those guys in the box coming downhill? I've read those guys be in the box, okay, So if those guys are in the box, then who's responsible for Jake Ferguson? Right? And if you want to play single high and have a safety playing Jake Ferguson, now you are now forcing a position. Last time I checked to have one guy sticking CD Lamb and one guy sticking George Pickens. Yep, business decisions, business decisions. If you are able to keep them honest, keep your receivers out there. You line up CD Lamb on one side, you line up George Pickens on the other side, You line up Jake ferguson right. And these guys want to stay too high. You have to run the ball absolutely like it is beyond important that Dallas finds a way to have enough somewhat effective run. I'm not saying that you got to rush for one hundred and twenty five hundred. You have to be able to get three yards a pop.
Speaker 5: What is a tall task When you're saying that the defensive line is always pushing down, getting past that first level is going to be tough to begin with. But I think you need to get your guys out in open space, yes, which I think is what when you can lean on a Cavanti turpin out in space.
Speaker 1: I know he's a receiver.
Speaker 5: Now they're putting more of an emphasis on him as your third guy, but get him out in space.
Speaker 1: If you can get if you can make them cover, Yeah, once you're in eleven personnel, right, and whether that's Jalen Tolbert or whether that's Cavante Turpin. Let's say, for instance, you put Cavante Turpin out there as your slot receiver. Now you're in a position to get these guys again, it goes back to the run. If you can establish a run, now you can do your play action. And if you can do your play action now Jalen Carter right now, big Baby Davis, all those guys have to do what they have to run sidelined to sideline. That's not what they want to do. They don't want to go sideline to sideline. They want to go forward. And if you can get these guys going with a run scheme, going linearly right towards the sideline, and now they have to respect that. And now all of a sudd Dak Prescott boots out. Now you have Jakes Ferguson in the flats, you have Cavante Turpin at the second level. You have Ceedee Lamb or George Pickens, two of the best deep ball threat, high contested catch guys in the league, going out there on deep posts and deep goal routes. These guys safeties have to give, they have to respect that. So there's a lot of space in the middle for Ferg and Turp or Ferg and Tolbert to work. That's what you want to get to. That's how you can hurt these guys. But it all starts with your ability to run for three or four yards of pop. Yeah, and if you can do that and successfully is ideal. Obviously you want to run successfully successfully, but if you can at least establish the thread of it, force them to respect him consistency. Consistency then, and we talked about this with Dak Prescott in the locker room. It was an off the cuff, off the record conversation, but Dak was basically saying the same thing. He was like, man, you would love to see Dak hitting CD and pickings on every play. He was like, but we got to establish this run so that we can play off guess what the play action and go from there. Because if you can play off of the play action, I'm gonna tell you right now, there's a reason that Nick Fangio hasn't named his starting defensive backs just yet. Yep, you because it doesn't matter, sir ye Cooper Degenie and good luck buddy, who else? Right, QUINNYA. Mitchell, He's not. He doesn't have the stripes, the stripes on the wall. He doesn't have the skins on the wall. Okay, and he has some coverage issues. And I'm gonna tell you say, go dogs. Okay. For as much as we know what Jalen Carter is and Jordan Davis can be and Nolan Smith can be. I said this before the draft, and I'm going to stand here and say it again. Ringo is toast, absolute toast. He doesn't stand a chance. However, there's a chance that he's going to be one of the starting boundary corners when the Cowboys take the field. I'm taking CD and or George Pickens against most cornerbacks most of the time, against Mitchell and Ringo. If you establish this run holy and established. And I know people listen when I say established. I can't speak for anybody else when I say established the rent. I need three yards. I need like most people are gonna say I need five or six. No, no, no, no, let's be realistic. If I can get three yards on first down, if I can get three yards on second down, third and four, I'll take third and four all day. Long with the weapons that I have at the receiver and tight in position third and four is not bad. It's not because it still gives you several options. You everything.
Speaker 5: You just can't get behind the line on first you cannot and get yourself in second and long situations. That's just time and time again. What we were faced with with the Mike McCarthy era and now this offense, what it has going for it is the fact that it's not like that. It can be disguised in other ways. What did Breton Choannenhimmer say in is very first press press conference, It's like, we can do that, we can add motion, we can hide things. The biggest thing that the Cowboys have going for them is the freaking the glasses with the nose on it.
Speaker 1: They're disguised, right They have the what do you got going on over here?
Speaker 4: About? Like they can do that all day. That's why they've been vanilla this whole preseason. It's because of this game right here. I hope so, and I hope that's the plan. I hope that's the master plan because we kind of felt that way about McCarthy in his first year.
Speaker 1: That first game was rough. Good difference, being though to your point, tell the difference being the league had plenty of years of film on McCarthy as a play caller. How much film do they have on Schottenheimer as a play caller. Not I'm not say not much. But to that point, they have that Jackson, they don't have that with this. You're right, You're right. So my point, there's Dak curks not a lot of data that that cook. But before you let that cook establish the run, you have established the run. Because Schottenheimer did say one of his first press conferences as head coach, he said, kind of tongue in cheek, Unfortunately he let Russ cook a little bit more than he would have liked because he kind of bought into the hole the fandom want let Ross cook in that whole mantra, and he kind of let Russ do a little bit more than I think he's learned from that and he understands that, hey, setting up the run, established in the run will free up everything. And Isaiah has said it time and time again on this panel the Best Cowboys Podcast on Earth, it I mentioned that, Yeah, I Dak Prescott plays the best when he's playing off of play action.
Speaker 3: There I got a couple of stats for you here. This is just cold hard stats, like, so this is factuald So if you want to disagree with it, then go ahead, but it's factual. Dak Prescott is four and one versus the Eagles since twenty twenty one, effectual two and one when Philly plays Jalen Hurts. So you can't even throw that out there that he hasn't played Jalen Hurts. He's won two of the three games. Only starting quarterback with multiple wins versus the Eagles since that twenty twenty one season.
Speaker 1: The only one you want to.
Speaker 3: Know his stats in those games one with it four and one record, Like we said, tasty completion percentage seventy delightful passing yards per game, three oh five passing touchdown to interception ratio.
Speaker 1: This is where it gets interesting. Sixteen to one oh passer seven and a half.
Speaker 3: What if we said all off season about this weaponry around Dak Prescott.
Speaker 1: Man, it's the what the.
Speaker 3: It's been in quite some time, if not ever ever, maybe ever maybe ever still yet to be seen. And that's not factual yet, but we'll get on paper. It'll get there on paper. I don't have any concerns about the offense. I think the offense will be just fine. Will the running game is a little bit of a concern, and I'd.
Speaker 1: Say, you haven't seen Vane Williams. I've been concerned on that all year. I'm not concerned the passing game.
Speaker 3: I'm fine because but I think the passing games will open up the run game. It's kind of vice versa than what we've always thought.
Speaker 5: But I think in the chemistry the offensive line, you haven't necessarily seen that yet.
Speaker 1: At full force.
Speaker 3: There's gonna be some learning curve, absolutely, but I'm not totally worried about the offense. However, No, yeah, when we come back, Yeah, I am a little worried about the defense.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about it when we come back with more talking cowboys.
Speaker 9: Right after this, AT and T has a new guarantee. Because most things in life are not guaranteed, like getting through self checkout.
Speaker 6: By yourself warning, each item must be placed in the bagging area, not guarantee. Place item in the bagging area. Place item in the bagging area.
Speaker 1: You know what.
Speaker 9: AT and T guarantees connectivity. You depend on deals you want in service you deserve, or we make it right. Terms and conditions survives a att dot com SLAST guarantee for details at and T Connecting changes everything.
Speaker 3: If you're looking for fresh American roasted coffee that gives back, you need to head to your local grocery store.
Speaker 1: And pick up a bag of Black Rifle Coffee.
Speaker 3: That's right, America's coffee is now available in the coffee aisle of a grocery store near you. Black Rifle Coffee Company is veteran founded with a mission to give back to those brave men and women who have served our nation. Every bag, box or can you purchase help support that mission. Head to your local grocery store and roast yourself some Black Rifle coffee Today.
Speaker 8: Welcome back into Dear Doctor, the show where I answer life's questions with an ice cold can of Doctor Pepper. Sheila, let's hear from my next caller.
Speaker 10: Would you, Dear Doctor, My friend supported me during a tough time.
Speaker 1: But what's the right gift that says thanks for being a soldier? To cry out?
Speaker 8: Okay, this one's easy, I say, give her a delicious Doctor Pepper. Nothing says thanks good better than one of a kind soda. Yes, any Doctor Pepper flavor will do. Now just a reminder that I don't need to be a real doctor to know that Doctor Pepper is the one you deserve.
Speaker 3: It's the official men's skincare brand of the Dallas Cowboys, Jack Black, and right now Cowboys fans can get fifteen percent off their seventy five dollars order plus because every deal needs a playmaker, your order will include a free five piece skincare set and free shipping. The Jack Black Playmaker is four of Jack's favorites and a full sized intense therapy lipball. Make a play for the playmaker at Getjack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the code Cowboys vip. That's get Jack Black dot com slash Cowboys with the Code Cowboys VIP to Talking Cowboys. Back here on Talking Cowboys presented by a Black Rifle Coffee Company, Patrick Noci Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah Stanback, Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yeomans. Cowboys Defense versus Philadelphia, and then we've got our pick them just for this game to day. We'll pick the rest of the games on Friday when we come back. But what position group will be challenged the most by this Philadelphia offense?
Speaker 1: Because they can win in a number of different, number of different ways. Answer, just them, all of them, all of them think about it. I mean they, I mean it goes without saying Sakwon Barkley can do Saquon Barkley things in that offensive line. See if Landon Dickerson, which, by the way, injury update, Landar Dickerson did not practice yesterday, so we'll see if he takes the field. He was kind of a similar timeline of GUEI yes, I remember correctly where they fought, almost quite literally, they thought it was going to be a season ender.
Speaker 3: He gets carted off during an open practice at Lincoln Financial. People are saying it's the end of his season, and then all of a sudden it comes back.
Speaker 1: It's like four to five weeks. Yes, there's a chance he misses the game, but I mean Sakwon Barkley is going to do his thing with or without Landon Dickerson. Obviously, without Landon Dickerson they take a slight step back, but offensive line still one of the best in the league. And then aj Brown, DeVante Smith, Dallas Goddard. Yeah, those guys are kind of good at what they do.
Speaker 5: The secondary is a big question mark for me. I mean, if you're looking at Trayvon Diggs, who hasn't necessarily played in a while coming back from injury, and you look at dron Bland, who had a bad offseason, he got his contractstention, so I mean he's he had a down year, let's say.
Speaker 1: I mean he lost almost half the season exactly.
Speaker 5: And then you're looking at it guy like kyer Elam who has been, for me, like the best defensive player you've had since OTAs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just amazing. I don't see who could argue that he needs to be that dude on Thursdays. He needs to be that dude I put that. We've seen I pretty yer above Maris.
Speaker 5: But speaking of Mares, is he going to spy Jordan Jalen Hurts all game?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Are we going to have a spy for Jalen Hurt? That's a good question.
Speaker 3: I know in Isaiah in the past you've said you don't want to spy Jalen Hurts because they can hurt you in different ways.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah, last year, if you go back to the first game of last year, Dallas actually did a pretty good job up front of kind of keeping him contained for the most part, but then he got out right when when he got out of the pocket, if he was able to escape because the Marvin Overstaan was on his tail in that game, once he got out, there was nobody responsible for him. So like his his ability to extend drives with his legs and getting out the pocket, like that killed Dallas in that first game. It really did. Yeah, So I mean, I'm not a big fan of using somebody to spying because they have so many other weapons. Whenever you spy, you're taking that person out away from a coverage. But at the same time, if he's able to escape the pocket some way, if you're not able to collapse that pocket and not allow him out, if he does get out, then he'll hurt you. But I will say I do think Marris is going to impact this game in a major way. I think the linebackers are really going to be featured heavily in the outcome of this game as far as Cowboys linebackers are concerned. Because Cowboys are still trying to figure out the defensive interior. They need to figure out what the post Micah era looks like as far as rotation on the ends. So it looks like Dante's going to get the start. Sam Williams going to get the start opposite Dante Williams, and then of course you have Esroko and Kneeling. Those young guys will come in and hopefully they can those that four pack, which is a mix of proven ability in Dante and very high ceilings and the three young guys I just talked about. I'm calm fitting in those guys and they can kind of get off the ends. But that defensive tackle position is Kenny Clark going to hit the ground immediately for the Cowboys. I'm confident OsO Diggi Zula and I love what Solomon Thomas has been in training camp. Looks like he under my Matt Eberflus, looks like he's ready to cook. But that nose tackle position has me a little bit nervous until I see what Kenny Clark looks like in the mix. So that means the linebackers are going to play a huge part. Marist I think he's gonna eat well. Kenneth Murray will see what Jack Sambourne can do. And Damone Clark. Don't don't go sleeping on Damon. He has He's coming off the best offseason of his career.
Speaker 5: One of those things that, at least defensive wise, that concerns me is Sam Williams starting at edge. To me, I mean, it's been a while since we've seen Sam Williams play, and when he did, he was getting a lot of flags. It was very undisciplined for He talked about it. He talked about it yesterday, and you hope that the maturing process has begun and you know it's set here with him now. I'm concerned that something like that might creep up. I'm concerned it might not be a clean game. I'm concerned of the flags that have sort of alienated the Dallas Cowboys amongst other teams in the NFL over the past few seasons. I mean, for as long as I've been watching him, the flags have been an issue. So it's concerning there. The start for him is huge. I hope he's able to capitalize and keep that spot.
Speaker 1: I think that really quickly. On the penalty point, I find it refreshing that Sam, when I was speaking to him yesterday in the locker room, that he proactively mentioned penalties on himself. So I asked him, I said, hey, you know, it's been eighteen plus months since you've taken the field. How hungry just to describe your hungry. How hungry are you? He said? Very? But I'm being patient because if I allow myself to get too hungry or to get too anxious about it his words, he said, that's when Sam starts getting penalties. He's very self aware now, more so than he's ever been in that capacity. So I would like to see it translate into lack of flags. But the first step is to be aware, and it sounds like he's very aware of I'm concerning about the D line as a whole. As a whole, I'm not. I'm there too. I'm not confident in the I think you need one more piece in the interior defensive line. You he made a huge stride forward, obviously by bringing Canny, but but then that's a step back at your edge, rushers your edge. I'm not. I'm not very confident in the edges in terms of run stopping ability. Oh okay, I was going to say, I think they'll get after him just fine, But I don't think it will be the same though, So the reason and it the same, that's the same. I'm not. I'm not making that comparison at all. I'm just I'm I am on a wait and see with Sam Williams. I from what I've seen from Sam Williams, his PAD level is way too high. I'm not convincing his variety and his ability to pass rush. I'm just not. I hope, I hope, but you know, we say it all the time. Hope is not a strategy. But I have not personally seen enough from Sam Williams to feel comfortable and confident that he's going to make an impact. That's how I to with Marshaw Kneeland. Marshaan Kneeland to me, Marshaon Kneeland to me, as an interior D lineman, that's just undersize. That's what he is to me. That's what he's been since he's gotten here. I've said it, Yeah, but he's an undersized interior D lineman. It could they call him a d n all day long. He's not a pass rushing d n ye, So you know he is though, he's a run stopping d well. That's what he's supposed to, That's what's supposed to be. He hasn't been that. So as you're concerned about the edges being yeah, Kneeland is one of the best of that four pack, and I think we're gonna see more three four than we than we expect. I really think that was a huge reason why Kenny Clark was such a huge addition. I think adding him, now you have a true nose, right, you have a true multiple and now right your your deepest room to me, right now is a surprisingly linebacker. Right, so prosely, now after the trade, right, you're this surprisingly linebacker. So now that's your deepest room, and that's where you have the most guys that can play. Then Kenny Clark knows also tackle. Solomon Thomas tackle, and you have two stand up ends you could put. You could put Dante Feller Junior, you could put Aery, put Sam Williams, or you can put you know whoever.
Speaker 5: I was gonna ask you about that. Do you think he's gonna provide more for you than Sam Williams.
Speaker 1: Yes, in past rushing ability.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 1: I think It's gonna take a while for him to get going.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's gonna have his and that's probably why he's not starting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's gonna have to learn. But I think that his ceiling is substantially higher than no shot at Nyland. I just think that he's a more I think he's more athletic. That's just call it what it is. That first step is insane. There's not there's not one thing that I point. So when I look at impact players, I look, I say, hey, what's the one thing that I that I feel fully confident that you can go be pretty dominant at no matter who you line up against? Right? And I don't know what that is for Sam Williams, And I don't know what that is for Marshawn Neland that's fair because the only one that's proven in that four pack is Dante Felt. Yeah, yeah, Dante Falla, Go get quarterback, Go get QB. So you know that, right, go get after it. But like when you go down the line, what are the things like Son and Thomas also DIGGI zu, both of you guys are pretty much the same guy. Go get vertical right holding the fourth don't necessarily know that, but you guys can get in the seams and get vertical and create some some internal pressure, go all the way across the line. And so what's your one thing that you do? What's how can you impact us tremendously on this game? I'm not sure that you can circle that for every player on that front.
Speaker 3: Seven Yet, Yeah, time to pick who do you feel like is gonna win Week one against the Dallas Cowboys in the Philadelphia Eagles.
Speaker 1: I'm saying it very subdued here because I feel like it's gonna.
Speaker 3: Be a tough one either way. We're gonna come back on Friday and the Cowboys are either gonna win the super Bowl or they're gonna be seven.
Speaker 1: There's one of the other. Got there one more fun fact out there that we're not talking about enough, right there? All right, this offense has a new play caller. Yep, Kevin Patulo. Okay, I don't know if that's how to pronounce it, but Kevin Patulo higher or how you want to say it. Anyways, this is a sixth center. This is a sixth play caller in six consecutive years. And Jalen Hurts His ear hasn't been a problem yet though not yet. But this dude has never called plays. He's never called play So that that's a portion of this game that you have to take into consideration because he is going to try to now imitate what he has seen before. Right, He's either a gonna try to put his own flare on it, or he'd be gonna try to imitate what Kellen Moore did previously. You have to he has to figure out who he is and what what they are as an offense. There. I would imagine he's going to try his best to imitate because you don't want to mess up that formula that they had. But that's something to pay attention to as the game goes on as well, because if there is some high level competition early and they're not being dominant like they probably assumed that they would be, then what does that oc start to do? What does he do?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: What bag does he does? He going to the Kellen Moore bag and say, well, Kellen Moore would do this. He says, no, screw this, this is my offense. Now what we're doing something to watch? I'll jump off. I'll jump off the porch with it. Man, this this is going to be It's gonna be a dog fight. I'm seeing a lot of you know, the Eagles are going to basically walk the Cowboys out of the state. I don't feel like that's going to be the case, especially when you look at the Cowboys offense and we talk about that versus the secondary in Philly, and yeah, you have some issues with Saquan and aj and Davante and Jalen. Yeah, but I think that this offense just absolutely finds a way to exploit the secondary. I don't think it's going to be an explosive game, but I think it'll have explosive plays for the Cowboys. I think Cowboys finished with twenty seven points and I think they win on the leg of Brandon Aubrey. I think twenty seven to twenty four and it goes to the wire sixty four. So you're picking the coutek one. Yeah, that's true, but hopefully not because if you depending on the sixty four yarder to win the game means you didn't move the balls easy down the field. It's easy money, but don't look easier money forty thirty, you know what I mean. So, yeah, I think Brandon Aubrey gets you this game at the at the buzzer quickly because we have to go yep.
Speaker 5: I'm going to say Dallas twenty Philadelphia twenty three.
Speaker 1: Wow, So we're picking to win two Cowboys.
Speaker 3: I see this game almost like what Baltimore was last year. You remember that Week three match up against Baltimore. It was it was at home, but going into it, Dallas was not playing well. They had just gotten their doors blown off by New Orleans and Baltimore was was trying to figure their things out. But they were the better team across the board, and I thought they were gonna get run out of the gym, and they didn't.
Speaker 1: They fought back.
Speaker 3: It was twenty five to twenty two as the final. They just fought and fought and fought, and they were never really out of it. I think that's gonna be the case this time. I think they're gonna be right there. They need to make one or two big plays, but they just probably won't get it. In Week one, I think they fall thirty four to thirty one.
Speaker 1: On the road. That's a lot of points.
Speaker 3: Well, I do think it's gonna be a lot of Again, here we are. I think I think the offense is going to click. Yeah, I think the offense is gonna click. I think Philadelphia is just gonna click a little bit more interesting.
Speaker 1: I don't know who the Cowboys are yet, that's fair. I know who the Eagles are. Fair. There are a number of players that we have to see. Who are you going to be your impact players, specifically on defense, and until we have that answer, I have to give the nod to Philadelphia for that reason. I think it's gonna be twenty seven to twenty one Philly, And just because I know who their guys are, we're sitting here with question marks over our head in terms of who those guys are. For Dallas, Pickens gets at least one touchdown, and I think he's going to be one of the huge determined effectors in the Cowboys getting us.
Speaker 3: Hopefully so hopefully so either way, we're gonna be back on Friday to break it down, win or lose for you here on Talking Cowboys. By the way, our comment of the day Chopping said, did Isaiah get a second opinion on his back to show up today?
Speaker 1: I left. That's our comment of the day.
Speaker 3: That's gonna do it for us here on Talking Cowboys, Patrick Noci Walker, Josh Rodriguez, Isaiah stand back, Chris Beam in the backup Kyle Yoman saying.
Speaker 1: So on, we'll see you on Friday. Go Cowboys, Go kick them Eagles.
Speaker 3: But this has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Lets Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 1: Cowboy