Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg day Break Weekend, our global look at the top stories in the coming week from our Daybreak anchors all around the world, and straight ahead on the program, well look ahead to this week's monetary policy decision from the Fed. Also earnings for more of text Magnificent seven. I'm Tom Busby in New York.
Speaker 3: I'm callin Hepget in London, where we're asking if President Charump's Scottish golf trip can yield any political wins.
Speaker 4: I'm got Prisner looking at the Chinese economy ahead of fresh PMI reports in the coming week.
Speaker 1: That's all straight ahead on Bloomberg Daybreak Weekend on Bloomberg eleven three zero, New York, Bloomberg ninety nine to one, Washington, DC, Bloomberg ninety two to nine, Boston, DAB Digital Radio, London, Sirius XM one twenty one, and around the world on Bloomberg Radio, dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 5: Good day to you.
Speaker 2: I'm Tom Busby, and we begin today's program with this week's Federal Reserve policy meeting. The Federal issue its latest decision on interest rates on Wednesday, with a press conference expected from FED chair Jay Powell to follow what will the Fed decide and what's behind the central banks thinking? And for more. We're joined by Edward Harrison, senior editor at Bloomberg, author of Bloomberg's Everything Risk newsletter. Well, Edward, a critical decision from the Fed. What are you expecting to see happen this week?
Speaker 6: Hey, Tom? Yes, it is a critical decision because of the political pressure that we've seen applied to the Federal Reserve. The market widely expects interest rates to stay the same, in particular because we haven't implemented the final round of tariffs yet, we don't know how the economy's going to react to that. If you look at the pricing from the market, it's expecting not just this meeting to be the same. But there's only a slight chance, maybe a sixty percent chance that we get a cut in September. It's first in October when the next rate cut will come.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's well, that's a change. But Chairman Palth has said time and again he has said it's all about the data and that the Central Bank has to see the impact of the Trump tariffs on inflation. So it really is too soon to make a move because we just don't know. There's so many moving parts with these tariffs. Correct.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and you know, the interesting bit is is when the Fed actually moved to lower interest rates in twenty twenty four, the market's reaction was that this took all of the risk of a recession off the table, so much so that interest rates actually went up. So they lowered the short term interest rates, but they yields on longer term bonds, the ones that actually matter to people when they're getting a mortgage and so forth, those are the ones that went up. And so it was because the recession risk receded that you actually had a situation where the Fed was acting one way and long term yields went the actual opposite direction.
Speaker 2: Well, I think you know on Wall Street we have seen the major averages add or near all time highs the last few weeks. Inflation still above the Fed's target, but it has eased about two point seven percent, the labor market, resilient, jobless rate, four percent initial jobs. Everything is working. The Fed's plans have been working. So the argument could be, well, why not lower interest rates, But there's a very good reason why they wouldn't correct just for that reason you were talking about with long term yields.
Speaker 6: Right exactly. They just they don't know if, for instance, they were to lower interest rates whether or not, suddenly we would get inflation coming back in, not just because the tariffs created more inflation, but actually because the economy was running hot enough to create inflation on its own. And then suddenly they'd be in a situation where they made an error and that error would be taken on by markets to increase interest rates, increase yields across the curve, expecting the Fed to eventually have to undo that error. And this is the dilemma that they faced. So they've decided, look, you know, we're in a good enough position at this point in time that we can actually wait to do this. You know what's interesting if you look at the last FED decision, they released a summary of economic projections and sort of a by and modal distribution, there are actually seven of the Fed governors and presidents who think that they shouldn't lower interest rates at all this year, whereas nine think that they should lower them two times this year. And there are four others that are in there, but you know the total number that the reason that we have an expectation for two interest rates. It's being lowered is because of those I think it's eight FED members who believe that interest rate should be lowered by two, but they are a decent number who think, you know, there shouldn't be any interest rate cuts this year.
Speaker 2: And there's been a lot of pressure, obviously from President Trump on Jerome Palell, a lot of criticism, a lot of pressure about what the FED is going to do. And it goes into what you just said, He's not the only one designing. I mean, there are twelve voting members of the FOMC. You have all these other governors and vice presidents and presidents of banks. I mean, it is not a unilateral decision, is it.
Speaker 6: No, it's not. And the interesting thing about that bimodal distribution is that obviously we don't know which of the nineteen dots in this summary are of voting members, but there are enough members that if the data turned towards the more inflationary side, you could get the FOMC outside of Jerome Pale saying no, we don't even want two interest rate cuts this year. We want one and perhaps even zero. Because all it takes is us to get three more dots up into that number, you know, to go from seven to ten, and then suddenly we don't have any interest rate cuts at all in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Well, the FETCH two day policy meeting kicks off this Tuesday at Decision Wednesday, expected at two pm Wall Street time. Then, of course we're going to hear from fedchair Jerome Powell. Our thanks to Edward Harrison, senior editor at Bloomberg, author of Bloomberg's Everything Risk newsletter. We move next to corporate earning. Some of the Magnificent seven's biggest names reporting this week meta platforms, Microsoft, Apple, and Amazon, and for more on what to expect. We're joined by Mandeep Singh, Bloomberg Intelligence, senior tech industry analysts. Man Deep, thank you so much for being here. I want to start though, by looking backward, because last week we got the latest results from Tesla and Alphabet, very different results. Tesla miss earnings, sales fell difficult times ahead what Alphabet. There was a real upside surprise, wasn't there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And also going into earnings, I think the narrative was that Google Search has been under a lot of competitive threat from the likes of Chat GPT and just what's going on in the LLM space and the numbers proved otherwise, I mean the fact that Google grow search double digits at a run rate of two hundred ten billion dollars. That just goes to show you know, how much momentum they have in terms of just their integrating Gemini with their search page. So AI overviews has actually helped you know, the number of queries. And then the monetization, I mean ad monetization for Google is really, you know, something that no one else has been able to even come close to. And look, we're talking about Meta coming up as well. So to me, what what will be interesting is whether Meta shows you know, high teens or twenty percent plus growth, because that's the sort of expectation Google has set up with its print. You know, YouTube did really well. In fact, YouTube plus cloud is almost one hundred and fifteen billion dollars rundrate growing at over twenty percent, and so a lot of positives in that Google print. The one thing I would call out is a capex pense. So Google ded raise their capex by ten billion for this year, and they said twenty twenty six would be another growth year for capex and that some investors could say would be a Dragon free cash flow, But I would compare that to a Meta which has already guided to a higher CAPEX and they are not monetizing at the same level as Google is with their cloud business. So that is where it'd be interesting to see how the market reacts to Meta talking up capex for second half twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Another horse in this race Microsoft, Yeah, which you know with their open AI commitments and still expected to see Azure a big, big revenue gainer. How about you know the rest of the company. Where's Microsoft stand? Because we're out Wednesday as well.
Speaker 7: I think one thing was clear from google'sprint is Microsoft Azure business is going to put up another strong quarter. We are talking another mid thirty five, like mid thirty percent growth for an Azure, which was a real surprise last quarter. But now the numbers have gone up for Azure, so you will see another strong quarter for Azure. But overall, look, Microsoft has been one of the biggest beneficiaries of this AI infrastructure spend and the cloud business that it has benefited. And in Google's case, you know, it's a fifty billion dollars run rate business cloud growing almost you know, thirty percent plus now, so that could double to hundred billion in two years. In Microsoft's case, it's the same kind of momentum, and that's why cloud is the real beneficiary of this AI infrastructure spent. On one hand, we call out how Nvidia is benefited on the chip side. On the software side, it's the cloud companies. And that's where I would put Microsoft and Google. Amazon, which is another one reporting next week and has expoture to cloud, I think their growth rates are still way down compared to Google and Microsoft Cloud, which is growing you know, thirty percent plus. Amazon's growth may still be around that's seventeen to twenty percent.
Speaker 2: And still strong, still very strong.
Speaker 7: For a business of over one hundred billion dollar run rate. It's very good growth when you compare them share in cloud. I do think, you know, Microsoft and Google seem to be taking share because of this AI workloud shift, and that's where Amazon has to kind step up in terms of how they will increase the growth rate for their cloud business.
Speaker 2: Now the outlier in this horse race for AI, Apple also next week, has been way behind, has no sign of even catching up except for partnerships it's making. But what do you expect there. I mean, the iPhone sixteen is smash hit. We have services have been very strong, but are they still behind. They're still going to make a ton of money, there's no doubt.
Speaker 7: I think with Apple now announcing they're getting into insurance business. The twenty dollars per month for three devices, that's just aimed at improving the services run rate. To me, everyone looks up to Apple for what they will do on the AI side, and that is a big question mark whether they have a compelling AI strategy. I think they are going to go to the partnership route, but right now we have no signs to suggest there will be a big upgrade or refresh cycle for their devices because AI right now is still being used on the cloud. People are not really using AI assistant that's installed on the phone. Because these lms are called large anglid models for a reason. They require a lot of compute and memory that you can't have on device, and so that's where Apple has to strike partnerships. They have to enhance their hardware to run AI on device, and we are talking about at least at twelve to twenty four month timeframes, so you're not gonna see anything that investors will find exciting, at least in this print.
Speaker 2: Well, a lot to look forward to. Meta and Microsoft earnings out this Wednesday. Amazon and Apple on Thursday are thanks to Mandeep Sing, Bloomberg Intelligence Senior Tech industry analyst. And coming up on Bloomberg day Break weekend, we'll look at whether President Trump's Scottish golf trip can yield any political wins. I'm Tom Busby and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg day Break weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Tom Busby in New York. Up later in our program and look at some key economic data coming out of the world's second largest economy. But first, fresh from a flurry of trade deal announcements, President Trump is in the UK in Scotland. His trip will be a mixture of business and pleasure. But in the coming days the President has set to hold meetings with UK Prime Minister Kure Starmer and John Swinney, First Minister of Scotland. Can the duo sweet talk Trumpet to further trade concessions For more, Let's go to London and bring in Bloomberg day Break Europe anchor Caroline Hepgar.
Speaker 3: Tom President Donald Trump Count's Scottish ancestry as part of his heritage. His mother, Mary Anne MacLeod, was one of thousands of Scotts who left for the US and Canada at the beginning of the last century in a bid to escape economic hardship at home. But despite the family ties, the US President's relationship with the country is a complicated one. During his last visit to Scotland in twenty eighteen, the President was booed during an afternoon golf game by demonstrators at his resort in Turnbury, and the entire trip was dogged by protests of thousands of people in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen. This time round, controversial White House policies could make for a similar reception as Trump visits his two Scottish golf properties. His plan for international trade is also something the White House Press Secretary Caroline Leavitt expanded on recently.
Speaker 8: Look, I can tell you the trade team and the President himself continue to be very engaged with countries around the world when it comes to our trade agreements. But the August first deadline is just really the start date for when the United States of America will begin collecting this revenue from all of the countries around the world who the President has sent these letters to.
Speaker 5: You could see some more years.
Speaker 8: Before August first, John, you could have some more trade announcements as well. I can tell you the President, Secretary of Treasury, Secretary of Commerce, Ambassador Greer all continue to be in constant communication with our trading partners.
Speaker 3: The White House is Caroline Levitt speaking to reporters there. Well, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 7: Now?
Speaker 3: It's Bloomberg's Edinburgh based reporter James Laden and our White House correspondent Skyla Woodhouse. Welcome to both of you. Thank you for speaking to me. James, Maybe can I start with you. Trump has long been i'll say, infatuated with Scotland. The Scot's perhaps a bit less so with him. Just talk us through the perceptions of President Donald Trump on the ground.
Speaker 9: Now, Yeah, in your intro you did mention how there were some demos against him when you was here last I think those demos were more personality based, whereas I think the demos that are being planned are both personality and politics based. So there's a subtle difference there. One thing I think that you need to sort of remind yourselves about the Scottish psyche if you like, is that someone who shall we say, is kind of fairy, brash and a showman. That doesn't necessarily go down very well here in Scotland. They tend to admire people who are a bit more understated. And also Scotland does have a reputation of cheering for the underdog over the years, and certainly having a slightly larger big brother, shall we say, to the South that's been dominating proceedings for several centuries. That also probably explains why Scott's they prefer the underdog rather than the top dog.
Speaker 3: H Okay Skyler. And President Trump's also coming to the UK for full proper state visit in only a few weeks time. Why do you think he's making this trip to Scotland now?
Speaker 10: I mean the White House is saying, you know, this is a moment for the President and Prime Minister Starmer to refine the trade deal from just a few months ago. You know, we'll hopefully we'll get an update on what's maybe some more of the fine print details of that trade agreement are. And there's obviously a lot happening in the world right now there's you know, Ukraine and Russia that has been you know, front and center for President Trump, and you know, so we're you know, looking to see if we could see any sort of maybe new agreement between the two countries there or just sort of what the strategy you know, might look like. So there's a lot of talk around national security right now.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 10: So it's kind of a mix of you know, the presidents who we all know loves to golf and you know frequently he'll be in Florida, you know, golfing and things like that. But you know, we're expecting to see probably a more refined trade deal than what we saw earlier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, entire it's hugely important, I mean, both the kised arma of the UK as a whole and Scotland in particular as well. Is there going to be any expectation actually of any progress in terms of trade discussions?
Speaker 2: Do you think?
Speaker 10: I think one thing that's particularly interesting with the trade agreements that we've just been seeing across the board, Obviously, this is something that President Trump is very passionate about and is definitely dominating his second term and as president. You know, so I think it'll be interesting to watch what the fine print looks like. We've we're approaching that August first deadline with a plethora of countries and we're starting to see you know, the rates coming in you know, a different level. So I think it'll be interesting to see what maybe has changed from the you know, the deal that was presented a few months ago to now and to compare and contrast what has changed or what has not changed.
Speaker 3: James, what do you think the Scottish First Minister John Swinney is likely to cover maybe try to press with the US President.
Speaker 9: Well, I guess so the biggest thing here is whiskey. Personally not a fan, but I mean it's it's the biggest export that we have up here, and any potential reducing the tariffs on whiskey I think would go a long way up here. But at the end of the day, the personal sign the document is going to be starmer, So there's a slight set of dichotomy there. Otherwise, I mean Swinny he is involved a little bit in the long running staga about whether Turnbury, one of Trump's golf sites, will ever host the Open again, so there will be some chat on that, I dare say, But at the end of the day, the decision comes down to the rural ancient golf club in Saint Andrew's RNA. But there will be pressure from Swinny and also from Starma to try to make this happen. But then to make it happen you kind of need to have much better communications. You must have much better roads and rail systems, and to get that you're going to have to get the tax player to stump up for it very properly, and that will be a big.
Speaker 3: Problem in terms of travel. It's obviously quite a privileged position for the UK to be in and Scotland in some ways to be hosting, you know, a visit, even an informal visit from the US president, given how much is riding on this and President Trump's actually got some cousins who still live on the kind of ancestral island where his mother came from. How important do you think the relationship is at the moment, Skyler, between the US and the UK as we see these really quite fraught negotiations with many countries rushing to try to make the August first deadline.
Speaker 10: I think one thing the traupid administration, you know, they do a lot of things differently, But ultimately I do think there is an understanding that the relationship with the UK is a very important one that obviously has a very long standing history, you know, so I do think the administration is looking to sort of continue to keep that relationship intact and whatever way that might be. I mean, but it's still very interesting that of the trade deals, the UK was one of the first to see a deal and an agreement and there was the Oval event where Starmar I believed, phoned in, you know, so you know, they're definitely trying to show a united front between the two countries, which on the global stage could be very telling that you know, we have the US and the UK sort of you know, aligned, even if there are differences you know, on some things. But now do you think administration is you know looking to sort of you know, make sure that that relationship continues to remain stable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in terms of what you expect then also from the State visit in September and how important that is. We've had out the for example, the car and truck manufacturing figures for the UK. That's a very important market for Britain, the US sending vehicles there. It's actually just below the relationship with the EU, but it's still very important and actually we've seen a big kind of cratering in terms of the numbers of vehicles that are being exported and in fact just rolling off the lines here in the UK. How important is this kind of other sector issues between the US and the UK And do you think anything might change, let's say, in the September State visit. How is that being seen in the US?
Speaker 10: Yeah, I know, it's a good point to mention the sectors because that's something we're watching very closely in the mix of all of the trade deals. But when you boil it down to the sectors, whether it's autos pharmaceuticals, that's a space you know where we're you know, trying to see if there's any movement there because we still haven't really seen a lot of details in the pharma space, but it has been something the President talks about pretty frequently. So we're definitely watching that space. But I think in the US in terms of perception, you know, one thing, you know, what we've been seeing a lot right now is there's just a lot of back and forth, and you know, with this administration, they definitely keep us on our toes. But you know, they move forward with one thing and then there can be a shift the policy a little bit, whether it's more or less, and that is something we're you know, I think folks are really paying attention to you because it does shake up what exactly is going on if you say one thing and then you know it changes. But the President continues to say that, you know, if you accept you know, American products and we can you know, enter that market. You know, well, we want tearif you or tear affe less. So you know that's what Trump has been negotiating with around that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, James. A thought then from the perspective in Edinburgh. I mean, I know that you know quite a bit about golf and all the golf courses that are up in Scotland. I mean, how important do you think that the trip is for the US person to spend time in Scotland? As Skylar is sort of pointing out, the US person is known for being changeable and maybe that offers a kind of opening in terms of influence.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it does a bit. It's easier for him certainly to come to Scotland rather than England. He can't hide so much if you like in England if he wanted to, and he does have these two golf properties up here which are very high profile. They're also very good courses. But and then he is having that that's an idea about Look, I'm here in my homeland of Scotland. I mean leaving aside the fact that it would take you what eight hours to get from his site in Aberdeen to where his mother was born on Lewis. It's kind of a long long way away. But he will play up this idea about him, you know, coming home sort of thing, which you have to say is taken with a very large salt from many of the local populace on that. But that's an idea about him coming to where he thinks his roots are. That probably makes it easier for him to feel in a way that he is negotiating or talking with Starmer on something of a level playing field, you know what I mean. Yes, he's a visitor, but he also gets the Scottish thing.
Speaker 3: James, thank you so much for being with me today Brimberg, James Lordon and to skylar Woodhouse on your first trip to Scotland and here in the UK. Thank you very much for your time. I'm Caroline hepget here in London. You can catch us every weekday morning for Bloomberg day Break. You at the beginning at six am in London.
Speaker 7: That's one.
Speaker 3: I am on Wall Street, Tom.
Speaker 2: Thank you Caroline, and coming up on Bloomberg day Break weekend to look ahead to some fresh economic data out of China. I'm Tom Busby and this is Bloomberg. This is Bloomberg day Break weekend, our global look ahead at the top stories for investors in the coming week. I'm Tom Busby in New York. Market watchers turn to fresh economic data this week for a temperature check on the world's second largest economy. For more, let's get to the host of the Daybreak Asia podcast, Doug Crisler.
Speaker 4: Tom. The outlook for the Chinese economy is showing promise, and recently Bloomberg Economics raised its full year growth forecast for China to an annual rate of four point eight percent. Now, to be fair, hurdles do remain and there is still the need for policy support. In the week ahead, we'll get a clearer understanding of where things stand with the release of several PMI readings. They'll help capture sentiment among Chinese manufacturers and services providers alike to help us look ahead. I am joined by David Chu. He is China economist for Bloomberg Economics. David joins us from our studios in Hong Kong. David, thank you so much for taking time to chat with me. Can you begin by giving me kind of your view on what we may learn this week from the PMI data for China.
Speaker 6: Ah.
Speaker 11: Yes, What we can say is that we expected the manufacturing PMI to soften the BIDA from last months because we saw some leading indicators and African indicators pointing to the slow, marginal slowed down in the manufacturing activities. I think one of the reasons is that the ft loading export, it's somehow it has slowed a bit after the peak in the in June, so I think that is the reason. Another reason is that we think the cloud of the trade wall is still there so that people are not so confident to expand capacity, so that the overall manufacturing activity should slow down after acceleration in June.
Speaker 4: So when it comes to the services economies in China, how is domestic demand right now?
Speaker 11: Well for July because it is a summer holiday season, so that we think the service side will be supportive to the to the non manufacturing PMI as well. But on the other hand, we think the the construction is still steady compared with June. So overall speakning, we think the non manufacturing activity should accelerate a bit from June.
Speaker 4: Give me your sense of the extent to which the property market, as negative as it has been, is still a major drag on the economy. Is that beginning to change even slightly?
Speaker 11: Not yet. Based on the sales data, we think the activity in the housing sector is still drag and it may be even worse than the last month based on the new home sales data so far. So looking forward, we don't see any scene that you know, for the housing sector to rebund soon, even though we have seen some stimulus by the government over the past several months, but still it's soft.
Speaker 4: If you had to point to a bright spot for the Chinese economy right now, what would be.
Speaker 11: I think the production side is all is resilient, although if you look at the PMI it is still underwater. But if you look at the production side of the China economy over the past several quarters, it's still resilient. But on the other hand, is what drives the economy or what is the key for the economy is the consumption side, So that now we emphasize the importance of consumption one more so that what we are looking at now is the consumption, not the strong part, which is good production.
Speaker 4: When I think of the production side, though, I think of the tendency for there's still to be a little bit of over capacity in the system. Is that being taken out slowly and steadily.
Speaker 11: Yes, there has been more and more talks about the removal of the overcapacity, but we have to say that over capacity means it is more than demand, so that I think the government needs to do more in the consumption side of the boost demand, so that to reduce the difference or the overcapacity on the one hand, I mean the relative over capacity compared with the demand site, but as well we think the government is doing something to we call it anti involution, so that to reduce some of the capacity in some way and also let people have more time to spending so that they can spend more money.
Speaker 4: We know that the overall economy has been in deflation, particularly at the wholesale level where you're looking at factory gate inflation, to what extent do you believe authorities in China are very concerned about this right now, the stubbornness of the deflationary story, and I realize that maybe on the consumer level it's more disinflationary rather than deflationary, but still there seems to be this overall pull that has to do with declining prices.
Speaker 11: Yes, I think the government is concerned about the definition a lot because the PPI is quite correlated with the profitability of the manufacturing sector. So that you may know that many of the China's biggest manufacturers, they are ISOs, they stayed owned enterprises, so that the if they're making a lot of financial losses, that the government must be worried about that. I think that is one of the reasons why the government UH is considering taking some effort to remove some of the over capacities, based on our experience in the twenty eighteen round the carting over capacity. This would raise the PPI effectively, so that to raise the profitability. But the still the problem is that that this inflation in the consumption side will probably be still there, based also based on the experience from twenty eighteen.
Speaker 4: David, thank you so very much. For making time to chat with us. That is David Chu, China economist for Bloomberg Economics, joining from our studios in Hong Kong, shifting gears to tech now and the Chinese consumer. I spoke with Stephanie Leung, the chief investment officer at Stashaway. We discussed how developments in artificial intelligence are shaping her investment strategy. Here's part of that conversation.
Speaker 12: If you look at the latest economic data, it doesn't look like that the China consumer is doing a v shape recovery.
Speaker 5: And I think that's because of a few reasons.
Speaker 12: Number one is that, of course, if you look at kind of where the where a lot of Chinese consumer hold the wealth is still in the real estate sector and say sex sector is still in a very very long row to recovery. And I mean without that, actually most Chinese consumers are kind of tightening their belts, right, They're not really spending that much. However, if you look into kind of I think some of the pockets where people are spending, and those tends to be kind of lower ticket items.
Speaker 5: By that, I mean, for example.
Speaker 12: Uh just kind of uh tea drinks for example, or uh these uh I guess play, I guess.
Speaker 5: Uh, these are like sort of figures.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 5: For example, one of one.
Speaker 12: Of the companies La Boobooh has has Labou, which is very very popular kind of figure in China, and the I mean people are are crazy about these. I mean these are kind of lower ticket items that that that gets very very popular in China. So I think these are themes that you can still play within the Chinese Chinese consumer sector.
Speaker 5: However, when you look at kind of.
Speaker 12: The bigger ticket items for example auto for example, uh, I mean even luxury, and these are kind of still in sort of the role to recovery.
Speaker 4: I would say, I'm going to play to one of your strengths technology and particularly artificial intelligence. How do you understand the risk of some of these AI back chat bots posing some sort of risk to a business, even for bay Do in China, which has around seventy percent of the search market. Is AI a way for this to be reimagined? Do you think and maybe does it represent a near term risk?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 12: I think, I mean you bring a very very good point right in the sense that, of course, if you think about the Internet era, search was of a very profitable business and Google by do pretty much have like a dominance or monopoly in these businesses. However, if we enter the AI era, if you think about just what people go to search engines to do, they're basically asking questions, and you can ask these questions much more directly and get much better answers by going to the LM chat bots to ask the same questions, and they will give you a much more comprehensive answer rather than just the templu links that that Google would provide. And I think that actually creates a sort of a dilemma for companies like Google in a sense that I mean they know that that's the direction that things are going. However, of course they have existing sort of earnings to try to protect, so they need to. I mean, they are trying to actually strike a balance between like kind of not cannibalizing the existing business, but meanwhile making efforts to make sure that they don't get this kind of extinct in the new AI era. So, for example, AI, if you go to Google Search right now, you see that they will provide a AI generated search summary, and that's sort of some of the efforts to help the company that migrates.
Speaker 4: So if you're looking at opportunities in AI and China. Are you more focused on the software side or are you looking at the hardware story and maybe semiconductors. How do you play it?
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 12: If you look at the semiconductor or hardware side, it's very very focused in a few kind of companies that have the technology. So by that, I mean, for example, n video, Nvidia has the chips that are kind of ways ahead. And if you look at all the recent kind of announcements from big big tech companies like for example, Metas big announcement of the data centers, I mean they are still predominantly using uh in video technology.
Speaker 11: UH.
Speaker 5: If you look at kind of in China.
Speaker 12: Of course, recently uh President Trump lifted the restriction to export H twenty chips to China, and I mean Nvidia is receiving a lot of orders and I mean the citing supply shortages.
Speaker 5: So still Nvidia is the kind of the.
Speaker 12: Dominant player in the infrastructure layer. Of course, like companies like Huawei are catching up, but I think they are still kind of somewhat behind on the application side. I think that's where it gets more interesting, right, because it's not it's not that kind of dominated by one.
Speaker 5: Or two players.
Speaker 12: I think in the application side you can see a lot of very creative uses of the underlying technology in terms of driving usage, driving revenue, or cutting costs. And here I think you can see that in the US there are different companies in different verticals kind of it GUS making big strides and also in China right if you look at kind of the software companies, I think they are one of the first to benefit from these AI coding agents, for example, and these actually benefit a lot more companies than just the infrastructure.
Speaker 4: Later that was definitely young the CIO at Stashaway, I'm Doug Chrisner. Catch us weekdays for the Daybreak as your podcast. It's available wherever you get your podcast. Tom.
Speaker 2: Thank you Doug. And that does it for this edition of Bloomberg day Break Weekend. Join us again Monday morning, five am Wall Street Time for the latest on markets overseas and the news you need to start your day. I'm Tom Buzzby.
Speaker 5: Stay with us.
Speaker 2: Top stories and global business headlines are coming up right now.