Speaker 1: He now gets a fancy intro Max Munsey joining us on FT max Happy off season to Yeah, I know spring training is right around the corner, So how are things going? And did it feel like it went way too damn fast?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is it only it's only felt like it's been a couple of weeks that most. It's been pretty hectic off season for me, you know it Just like I said, it's felt like it's been about two weeks long.
Speaker 3: Do you get a fresh cut?
Speaker 4: I mean, looks like you got a fresh cut up top.
Speaker 5: No, it's been it's been a little bit.
Speaker 4: Oh it's looking nice, looked like you you might have put some product up there.
Speaker 2: No, it's it's early in the morning getting ready to you know, work out, so it's uh uh yeah, no no product in there.
Speaker 3: We just had Alice call on the other day and I was like, like, how how many requests do you get? Because there's you know, there's the Mookie Freddie Show, Hey Yamamoto level, and then there's the guy who hit a big home run in Game seven of the World Series level, and then there's Alex call and he said he's been pretty busy. Did you say more or less yeses to doing appearances this year with the baby on the way and the fact that now it's your third World Series championship.
Speaker 2: Uh, mainly because you know just how hectic the off season has been.
Speaker 5: I've said no to a lot of things.
Speaker 2: You know, there's still a couple of things I've said yes too, But it's just you're trying to get as much time with the family as possible. You know, it's back to back years, especially with starting overseas last two years, where it's it's been a really long year, and so just trying to get as much family time as I can right now knowing that, Uh, you know, we're gearing up for another long haul and you know it's it's eight nine months of baseball, So you try to get the family time when you can.
Speaker 3: Where are you right now?
Speaker 4: Are you haven't reported to Arizona yet, have you?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: I'm at a I'm at Dodger Stadium right now.
Speaker 3: Whoh, you're bad.
Speaker 4: That's why it looks so fancy. Uh when do you go to Arizona?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: You know, I'll be out there right when pictures and catchers report. So what is that like two weeks two and a half weeks away?
Speaker 5: Something like that early guy.
Speaker 4: You're an early guy, You're a you're an overachiever.
Speaker 3: Max. It's good you're an overachiever. That's not true.
Speaker 5: Well, no, I wouldn't call it over achiever. For me, it's more I in the past.
Speaker 2: I'd always gotten out there right around in the first day of February, you know. To me, I always felt like that was a good time to get out there, start getting adjusted, making sure you're out on the field, you know, because in the off season you can do all the hitting and ground balls and everything you want, but until you're actually out there on the field, it's just kind of it's not really the same thing. And so I always felt like getting out to Arizona starting to get accimated, and you know, I felt I also felt like that puts you more in the proper mindset of I'm getting ready for the season. Uh, you know, because like I said, when you're in the cages or you know, you're at home, you just you can train as hard as you want, you just don't reflect you're in the right mindset. And so for me, it's easier to get adjusted to it than try to just flip the switch on day one.
Speaker 3: Does everybody go with you. Now you have three kids, your wife, does everybody go with you.
Speaker 5: They'll be out there eventually.
Speaker 2: They're not going to come out, you know when I go out, but uh yeah, once once game starts and everything though, they'll be out there. And you know they they love Arizona just as much as I do. It's a great time of year to be out there. It's a you know, the weather's amazing and you know, just spring training is just a fun It's a fun time for the families. You know, you get to see everyone again and they always got a bunch of stuff going on, and uh, you know, like I said, in Arizona, there's a ton of stuff to do for the kids.
Speaker 3: Are you excited to make me? Sorry? Crat's go ahead. Oh no, no, yeah, we we're just we're just looking looking at who the new new signings for the Dodgers are. What do you got on the fact that they went out and got Kyle Tucker, the fact that they were like Edwin ds he's a decent closer. We'll just bump Rokie out of the closer position. How is that? How is that received by your teammates? But also how how do you receive the negative backlash that everybody has brought about all the evil empire and the Dodgers are ruining baseball and all that chatter.
Speaker 5: Well, first off, it's exciting as a player.
Speaker 2: You know, it's really exciting for us where you're adding two really big pieces and you know it's not really like we needed anything, but adding you know, two big pieces like that, it's very very exciting.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, I think for us as an organization, you just can't you can't really worry about what is being you know, said on the outside. We just have to worry about ourselves. And that's how we've always gone about business. We just try to worry about what happens in the clubhouse, what happens on the field, and you know, let everyone else say what they want away from us, that it shouldn't affect us.
Speaker 5: We just need to be be out there focused on ourselves.
Speaker 2: And you know, that's that's how we've always gone about business. It's how we're going to continue to go about our business.
Speaker 3: Max.
Speaker 4: But seriously, it's your fault. Okay, it's the Dodger's fault. Everyone's saying it's all the Dodger's fault, that there's gonna be a work stoppage in a salary cap Can you guys handle that pressure this year? Not forget the repeating and trying to win another one, But it's all the Dodger's fault that they spend money and they actually try because they make so much damn money because they spend money and try.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, I mean, I guess it's our faull one.
Speaker 4: Everyone else is the Dodger's fault. Global warming, you know, the ice, the snowmem again we just had. It's all the Dodgers fault.
Speaker 3: I mean everything.
Speaker 4: It's like the Dodgers. I've ruined every sport now, so way to go.
Speaker 3: Max.
Speaker 4: I'm super I'm super proud of you that the Dodgers win every year and you guys ruined everything in the world.
Speaker 3: Way to go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, sorry about that, you know. And it's uh, I don't.
Speaker 2: Like I said, we just try to worry about ourselves and uh, you know, the fallout happens after that, but uh no.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's just it's.
Speaker 2: The work stoppage thing is that was gonna happen, you know, and we don't know if it's gonna happen.
Speaker 5: But look, we're not adding any more fuel to that fire.
Speaker 2: If that happens, it was always gonna happen, and it's not gonna only happen just because of us. You know, that's that's a totally different issue that uh, you know, I don't really want to fully get into at this moment. There's be plenty of time for that over the next over the next year. But yeah, you know, we we just got to focus on ourselves.
Speaker 3: All right. Something you have to get into is a guy that were just showing a picture of right next to you, Kyle Tucker. Honestly, big league vets like him, and like you necessarily don't have to sit down and be like, Kyle, this is how we do this. How do you guys, as the Dodgers make him feel as comfortable as possible to hit the ground running on opening day?
Speaker 2: You know, that's where spring training is so important. You know, it's for him to come in and start, you know, as a new player. One of the hardest things to do is learn faces. You know, you're talking about clubhouse attendance, training staff, strength staff, you know, coaches, all the you know, front office guys that help us out, the analytical guys. It's a lot of faces to learn, and so you know the easiest way for him to get acclimated is to kind of just get to spring training and watch how we do things, because you know, like you said, we're not just gonna We're not gonna have like a sit down meeting and be like, Okay, this is how the organization runs. You know, he's just going to see how that, how that unfolds on it's on its own, and uh, you know that that's where we've always done a really good job in spring training with with new guys, is we just kind of go about our business and they they immediately pick up on what we do within two or three days, and you know, everyone's just focused on on us and focused on getting better each day and what can we do each day to get better? What you know, there's one little thing will work on every single day, and it's that's what we're focused on the most, and it's all out winning a baseball game. And you know that's always been that's always been our number one objective is just win the game that day.
Speaker 5: And uh, you know, guys pick up on that pretty quick.
Speaker 4: Were you involved in the recruiting pitch for any of this? Did the Dodgers call you and say, hey, we need you to reach out to Edwin Diaz. He's a pretty good closer.
Speaker 3: We'd like to have.
Speaker 4: Hey, Kyle Tucker is thinking about coming here. Max, reach out and make this guy feel comfortable.
Speaker 2: No, I wasn't involved in an I don't know. I don't know too many guys that were involved in that. You know, I think those deals kind of just came together.
Speaker 4: Obviously, you guys, Max, you guys are so good.
Speaker 3: You sell yourselves.
Speaker 4: You don't even have to remember when you guys were all meeting for dinners with show Hey, all secret dinners, Like, oh man, we got to have secret dinners with show Hey. And now people are like, forget that, I want to have dinner with Max Munsey and please make them come to me now.
Speaker 2: No, I mean, obviously I'm not in the war room with the front office guys.
Speaker 3: But uh uh.
Speaker 2: You know, my understanding is those deals was kind of just just came together.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: I think those guys wanted to come here, they wanted to win, and you know, obviously we gave them a lot of money. But you know, that's one of the things that we've created here is people know about our culture and know about what our organization is about and they want to come be a part of it.
Speaker 3: Are you a little mad that you guys signed ds because you got okay decent numbers against him, or are you fine now that you're not going to need to face them anymore?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd rather not face them. I don't care what my numbers are. It's not a guy that you want to face.
Speaker 3: Speaking of a guy that you don't ever have to face, and anybody has to face except for WBC guys. Kershall, what do you think about him finally getting his chance to pitch into WBC, because from what we heard it was insurance before that he wasn't able to that he wasn't able to participate. Kind of like what's going on with Korea and U Tuva right now? And what do you expect to see from Kershaw when he throws into WBC.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm super pumped for him.
Speaker 2: I know he really was bummed that he couldn't do it the last time. You know, he really wanted to, but like you said, there was an insurance thing and it just for him it wasn't worth that fight, you know, So I'm excited to see him go out there and get to put on, you know, the the United States Jersey. I think that's a cool moment for you know, any baseball player to be able to rep their country. And I don't know what to expect out of him. I I the only thing I can tell you is that he's going to compete. You know, That's that's what he's always done. He goes out there and competes to the absolute best and you know, the chances that he gets to pitch, I can promise you he's going to compete and he's going to be fiery out there.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I don't know what to expect.
Speaker 2: I don't know, you know, when the season ended, I don't know how uh how much he's kept his arm in shape. You know when I would imagine when you make that decision to retire, you're pretty sad.
Speaker 5: I'm not throwing a baseball again. So I don't know where.
Speaker 2: I don't know where he'll be at, but uh, you know it'll it's gonna be really fun to watch, and you know, I'll be cheering him on for sure.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: First of all, as long as he rocks the dad body, there's nothing more American and him walking around everywhere with no shirt on and the total dad go for Clayton.
Speaker 3: You deserve it.
Speaker 4: You've had a unbelievable career, first ballot Hall of Famer. But is this maybe a hint that he might not be retired, he might come back, because man, if you're retired, why the hell do you want to get all up and get ready to pitch in the WBC every once in a while, Like you think if you're retired, like no more throwing, no more working out, no more any of that.
Speaker 3: But Clayton's like, Nope, I'm gonna pitch for the USA.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: I think he's pretty sad on being retired. You know, his body has been through so much, his arm has been through so much, and you know, he had to fight through a lot of stuff last last couple of years, and you know, he won back. He's won three World Series back to back World Series now, and you know, I think he's pretty he's he's pretty okay with where he's at, and uh, you know he's he's such a good dad at home, and I think he's ready to take that on full time that you know, unless he comes out in the WBC throwing ninety five. I think he's I think he's pretty pretty set on where he's at.
Speaker 3: We discussed it. That wasn't gonna be our next question. We discussed that if he pops in ninety seven, do you think because of the you know, the competitor, you know the person, you also know the father and husband that he is, does he say.
Speaker 2: Maybe?
Speaker 3: Because every other year he's tried to do the med, the heavy ball stuff, and it's like still just eighty nine sliders down in a way too, you know, down and in two three era and finishes the season out. Does he come back if he pops in ninety five or ninety seven.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. You know, like I said, I think he's pretty content with where he's at. But you know, in years past, he's been he's you know, already well into his workout. It's been ramping up, you know, right from the season ending, and you know, who knows, giving his arm a little bit of a break even though it was you know, only a month or two. He he may come back in his arm might feel great. And you know, if he does do ninety five, he might think I could do this out.
Speaker 5: Of the pen for a year.
Speaker 2: But no, I really believe he's he's pretty content with where he's at.
Speaker 3: We agreed on the show, but it's a fun exercise to talk about it, of course. Yeah, your manager, Doc Roberts said he would love to manage the twenty twenty eight Olympic team for Team USA. Do you want to see professional the big leaguers play in the Olympics And do you think Doc would be a great manager, even though he'd have to go right up until the day before the Olympics started with you guys and then bang right into Team USA.
Speaker 2: Well, first off, yes, he would be a great manager. You know, he's he's e lite at what he does. He's so good at knowing his players and knowing how they operate. And you know, if you had professional players in the Olympics, He's going to know every single one of them. So there wouldn't be that I got to get to know my players face. He'd be able to get right into there and and be able to to you know, know everybody and manage them. And you know, if there were professional players, the first thing that he would do would would you know, be he'd get in contact with, you know, all the coaches of those players just to learn, you know, more about those guys. And you know, the thing with the professional players being in the Olympics is that would create such a long break in the middle of the summer that you know, I don't know if that's a h a reasonable thing to do, because you're not going to continue the season with star players not playing in you know, for their teams they're gonna if they're going to be in the Olympics, you're not going to keep the season going, you know.
Speaker 5: I I don't know.
Speaker 2: If I have a good answer to that, just what I like to see it maybe, But at the same time, that's kind of what the WBC is for. It's a almost like Olympic Baseball, just not in the Olympics. So you know it, the WBC is a really fun event that I really enjoy watching and I think it's really cool. But to do it again in the Olympics, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, WBC's this year, so you get you get you get the full country and everything this year, so we can enjoy that. And if it happens in the next Olympics, that'd be great because it'd be cool to showcase baseball. But Japanese, the Japanese team wins every seems like they win everything every year. You know, they're they're in the finals, they're winning this and that. We just talked about rookie Sazaki and Dave Roberts came out and said, oh, he needs a third pitch. Have you faced him in like live VP, and does he need a third pitch a slider, a curveball or something, because you know, fastball split coming out of that pen in the in the playoffs was pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean being a starter and being out of the pen is you know, your pitch mix has to be a little bit different. You know, if he's sitting a hundred with the split, it's because the split is so unlike any other pitch that's out there.
Speaker 5: You know, it's it's almost more like a forkball.
Speaker 2: You know, he threw a couple of splits last year that had like seven hundred eight hundred rpm on it, which you know, that's that's getting close to knuckleball territory. I don't know, if he's sitting one hundred, he probably doesn't need another pitch. But you know, when you look at some of the guys out there, you look at you know, Paul Skins or you know de Grom they all have the third pitch that they mix in there, and it's just something to keep the hitter off balance. When there's only two pitches you have to worry about, your approach becomes a little bit more simple. And when you're talking about seeing guys two three times through in order, it's a you got to have just something you can throw in there as a wrinkle, even if it's not a very good pitch.
Speaker 5: You just have to have something to throw in there as a little bit of a wrinkle.
Speaker 3: Did you happen to catch show Tany's MVP acceptance speech any any parts of it?
Speaker 5: I did not know.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, when you go back and check it out, because he did it all in English. He did a very good job. Fans have been clamoring. They're like, we rarely get to hear show Hey speak let alone in English. How is his English? And what is the one thing that you guys get on him for when he's speaking English to you guys, And because you've said it multiple times, Oh, he's very comfortable. He usually speaks English. He rarely uses an interpreter in the clubhouse, and he didn't use an interpreter when he gave when he got his MVP award.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, he can speak base baseball very very good. But speaking baseball and speaking just normally is two different, you know, two different things. And you know, in terms of like a speech, he obviously had time to practice that he knew what he was going to say. You know, that's a different story than if he's doing an interview with you know, where questions are coming at him that he doesn't know what's going to be said. You know, in the clubhouse, he obviously speaks you know, good English, because like I said, he can speak baseball very very well. It's uh, it's always been cool to see him interact with with teammates, you know, because he really tries. He definitely really tries. He's not a guy that just says, oh what don't I don't know, I'm not going to try to learn. You know, he really tries to learn what his teammates are saying and he tries to interact. And you know that that's always been a cool thing for me to see is that he cares, Uh, he cares enough about his teammates that he wants to learn how to communicate with them.
Speaker 3: I need to ask you a question, do you have a selfie with show Hey.
Speaker 5: No, I see, I try not to bother him with that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: I got one. I got one at the awards on the on the stage show Hey. I was nervous as crap, John Franco. I don't know if you know, John Franko, the old picture for the Mets Mets Legend was sitting next to me and show Hey was up on the stage at the awards, and John's like, you think he'll take a picture, And I was like, I don't know, let's go together.
Speaker 3: But he won't say no to both of us, will he?
Speaker 4: And so we just kind of ran up there real fast, and we got him real quick, John and I Hey, hey Hey. And so now the next question is if I bring a copy of that to spring training, will he sign it for me?
Speaker 5: Probably not.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: I mean, like you know, all my teammates they get bugs so much with that kind of stuff that I've personally, I have never tried to be one to ask them for anything.
Speaker 3: What listen next?
Speaker 4: It was a once in a lifetime shot. So I took the shot, okay, just because yeah, there you go. Look, I mean, when are you gonna get a picture with you and show. Absolutely, I mean that was that was my shot.
Speaker 3: So I took it.
Speaker 5: I took and you're dressed up nice.
Speaker 2: Look it's gonna look good hanging up in the office right right now.
Speaker 4: Just think if now, if I sign it goes down in value. If he signs it, it goes like way up in value. Even if he writes to AJ, I can take a little something and wipe that off with man, I could sell that for like a dollar.
Speaker 5: Well I wouldn't. I wouldn't put that out there for him to hear you.
Speaker 4: I would never do any of that. So let's just understand I would never do any of that.
Speaker 3: I just want people to know that.
Speaker 1: Max who gets bothered the most. There are many famous teammates at this point. Who gets bothered the most for requests, photos, whatever else that pops up at the ballpark each day?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's this show is probably the top. But you know, it's tough to pick from from all my teammates. You know, I know Kersh got bugged a lot last year because when it became known that it was his last year, the request started flooding in. Guys wanted to make sure they try to get a jersey or a ball or just you know anything. So I know he he got bogged down quite a bit towards the end of the year last year. But yeah, shows probably at the top.
Speaker 1: All right, I'm gonna finish with I got two fan questions on here.
Speaker 3: One on this.
Speaker 4: It's nice when you're Max and you're a star, You've done a lot of special things and you walk into your walk around and hey, show Hey, Hey, Mooky, Hey, Freddy, Hey, Will Hey, Yamamoto, Hey, dot it out, Rokie.
Speaker 3: And then your maxes Max, can you go get show Hey.
Speaker 4: Yeah exactly, you just kind of slish, you know, like Kyle Tucker can just kind of as good as Kyle Tucker is. He can just slide behind, hide behind Showy and Freddie and Mooki and you guys just walk in and nobody even Yeah, Hey, Max, can you please get show Hey to sign my picture for me?
Speaker 5: Then, you know, I really don't mind that at all.
Speaker 2: You know, I've been very comfortable with where I'm at, and uh, you know, I've been very comfortable with who I am, and you know, at the end of the day, all those guys being in here just gives us a better chance to win. And that's when I get to go home and look at, you know, the three World Series trophies I've got, and it's it's just it's it's a good reminder every single day that it's, you know it, it really takes a full team effort to win these things, and you know, every single year, and you know, last year was actually, you know, a really cool The World Series last year was obviously really cool to me, just because it took every single guy on the roster to win that. If any one of those guys was missing, we don't win that World Series. Every single person on the roster played a big part in you know, winning that World Series. Whether it was a catch or a hit or a certain pitch or whatever. Every single guy contributed to the one last year. And so it's just, you know, it's such a team effort that, you know, I don't mind being in the shadows.
Speaker 5: It's fun. Max.
Speaker 1: I'll cue up a fan question here, and I'll try to combine actually both, so the fan jokingly asked, or maybe not, are you gonna practice the wheel play in spring training this year? Do you guys have it down? And other fans have asked also if there's anything that you're working on or that you changed.
Speaker 5: In the offseason.
Speaker 1: So I'll kind of mix both of those questions together because we had Nolan ar and Ottawan yesterday and he actually said he's done many things differently this offseason. These guys can probably comment more about what he was saying, but it had more to do I guess with rest I whatever else that he's trying to switch up as everybody gets a year older and you try to be the prime version of yourself. So thoughts on both there.
Speaker 2: Well, first the wheel play, Uh no, I don't I don't.
Speaker 5: Know that we'll practice at this spring.
Speaker 2: We'll practice the usual bunt defenses and uh, you know, well we'll see what We'll see what Bobby g has drawn up for us once spring starts. But you know, as I talked about it last year after we ran it, that's a play that we hadn't practiced since the pitchers stopped hitting, and uh, you know, it's just one of those things where it just kind of it came together in the moment, and if we have to run them again, I think it will be another come together in the moment type of thing. And Doc's gonna trust the players on the field to know what they need to do, and you know, obviously we'll have a discussion about it, but I don't yeah, I don't think we will be practicing it. And ask for the other question, Uh, you know, I think the thing that most of us have done this year is just having the experience of being you know, in the World Series multiple years now understanding how important rest is.
Speaker 5: So I think.
Speaker 2: Most of the guys I've talked to have been on the same program that I've been on that we haven't started any baseball activity until you know, the middle of January almost some guys are still just now starting and just trying to give your body as much rest as possible, knowing that if we want to make another run to November, you know, the you got to be as rested as you can to get through through the summertime. Most guys like to hit and throw all year round, but for us, you know, we got to have that rest. And so most most guys have just uh pushed back their training until until now, starting now knowing that spring training this year is going to be more how it was you know in the old days, where spring training is almost like your off season, where you're really starting to ramp up in spring training instead of showing up to spring training fully ready to go, which you guys have seen that evolution just as the years have gone by. It's it's more and more you have to be ready from the first game of spring versus oh, you're using spring training to get ready, all.
Speaker 3: Right before we let you go? Are you? And kersh?
Speaker 4: The only two guys that have all three rings are.
Speaker 5: Key King, Yuki kek, Rookie Will.
Speaker 3: There's a whole lawsuit, a lot of y'all.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and then uh D May and Tony Gonsolin count.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, man, there's a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, that's amazing that you guys have kept this many guys together for.
Speaker 3: A long time.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, obviously obviously, Doc, but yeah, I think that might be it.
Speaker 3: That's pretty awesome though.
Speaker 4: That's a lot because I mean, I look at teams now, the twenty twenty one White I'm just using the twenty twenty one White Sox. There's not one player left and they didn't win anything, and their team's all gone. But you know, usually when guys win that, you know, the free agent contracts or this, that they leave, you know, whatever. It's just an amazing feat that you guys have kept that many guys together for so long. It's a credit to the organization and the people in that on that team.
Speaker 2: Honestly, Yeah, it's been it's been a fun ride, and it's you know it it's it's just really cool to have that group of guys to have been through all of this together and you know it is it is pretty wild that uh, you know, three World Series, you know, four or five years of winning one hundred plus games.
Speaker 5: It's it's it's been a good ride.
Speaker 1: Incredible dude. Well, great catching up with you, have a great workout. Next time we see you. We'll be in spring training, so safe travels out there. We'll see as soon.
Speaker 5: Okay, all right, sounds good.
Speaker 3: Appreciate you.
Speaker 5: Thanks Max,