Speaker 1: Look Mayer, Oh, I see you, my own Bowen. Look over there is that culture. Yes, lost.
Speaker 2: Dig lost, cochas calling. I need to hear all.
Speaker 1: About my girl's weekend.
Speaker 2: Let's just say Coachella Weekend one has ceased. I was there, Oh Bowen, So Bowen and I are gonna We're gonna have an herbal refreshment while we talk about Coachella.
Speaker 1: We were both exhausted.
Speaker 2: It's smoke our, It's smoke our today on coach I just walked in from I think one of the best weekends of my life.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy to hear. The only thing that was missing was my sister. Shut up.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not even kidding. You would have loved this so much. I don't know why I thought on the outset that like, for some reason I thought this year wasn't gonna give. Every single day was from the second you got there to the second you left saturated with just the best vibes.
Speaker 1: Ever activity spectacle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean especially even just yesterday. We walk in like we saw your girl's flow. Oh my god, flow. They gave everything they have. This song called There's a reason why I walk like this. That's just about They're this R and B pop group y'all that kind of throw back to, you know, the early days of like Destiny's Child, et cetera. They're kind of giving you that like Y two K R and B pop sound. They have a song that is called walk like This that is just like, if you're wondering why I walk this way, It's because I'm getting plowed so hard right and so often.
Speaker 1: That I walk Funny, the best just got plowed songs. Since I decide, you would say by Ariana Grande.
Speaker 2: I would say without question, I would say without question, And it was really we're just sitting there and I brought a bunch of people that did not know them. I just knew they were your girls, so we had to go represent of course, by the way, they had some belts in harmony that were, oh yeah, unreal, but we were living at the lyrics. I mean, there's a reason why I walk like this, And it's really so specific about how the dick do it?
Speaker 1: The dick do it? Can I just throw in some quick wicket bts? Oh yeah? In between takes, catch me Ari and Jonathan Bailey singing I'm a budget shit anecas changing. Could you three.
Speaker 2: Figure out the harmonies, because I bet you could. It's just about it if you had enough down time to figure out who's holding down the base.
Speaker 1: No, I wouldn't say. Any of the three of us are professional singers, so we do not do that.
Speaker 2: I'm certainly not bowen those two. Certainly are you have proficiency as a singer.
Speaker 1: Proficiency, that's what that is. Aspirational proficiency is something we should aspire to. You more, and that's a rule of culture. What number is that, Matt, that's real kind of number ninety four. Proficiency is something we should aspire to to.
Speaker 2: I mean, always really want is to be able to go up there and say we can do the thing we were hired to do.
Speaker 1: And be exactly on the mark and not exceed anyone's expectations, including our own, including our own.
Speaker 2: I will say each and every performer at Coachella did expected first. It's been said, like on this podcast. To her face, Renee Wrap on the outdoor stage yesterday was such a moment. Not only was it a Garnier fruitise ad in terms of hair, she looked unfucking believable. The L Word original cast introduced her Reunite.
Speaker 1: My God Reunited, and the creator. I knew about that beforehand.
Speaker 2: I actually did too, Like it was sort of creeping around secret. It was the queer queer telephone, queer scuttle butt title of app churs scuttle butt, queer scuttle butt. I love that bo Her live singing is unfucking believable. Yeah, then we went right from that into Victoria Monet Bowen.
Speaker 1: Ugh, you know my feelings about Victoria Monet if flow are my girl's Victoria is the Madonna, my Madonna and the classic like Christian sense, like my, yeah, my.
Speaker 2: Donna, she's my it's actually really coaching my lady. Number ninety five Victoria my Madonna, my Madonna, wait, apostrophe Donna Madonna like Madona the Lady.
Speaker 1: I just saw a little snippets that you guys took from that set. From her set, My god, fun.
Speaker 2: She was dancing like thing, like executing every single second.
Speaker 1: She looked great. Her vibe was so incredible.
Speaker 2: Everyone in the audience beaming so excited to be there to see the current fucking reigning best new artist. Like she was playing in the Mojave tent at sunset, which is this like really great vibe.
Speaker 1: Oh, the light was so incredible.
Speaker 2: She was amazing her like and she just every song is interesting, you know what I mean. It's not even just like fun, Like every song is like really unique.
Speaker 1: It's beyond the hooks. It's greater than the some of its parts in terms of the hooks. It's like, look, I told you she can do it all, write songs, dance, sing, what more could you want? And the only note that I have for her is I wish she would show some love to Coaston because she did set a fire Eyeland. She did it. Oh she did God because I thought she like she released it as a one off, and I was like, maybe she doesn't like it as much as other stuff. I love that.
Speaker 2: Song North South East West Baby, And we were and there was another song called like Smoke, which we all like, Literally everyone just whipped out their blunt to them.
Speaker 1: It was what a great hook. It's literally every time we smoke yep.
Speaker 2: And by the way, on the back wall, it was just blunts flying through the air and her visuals.
Speaker 1: Everyone was just living life. She detroid.
Speaker 2: And then what I would also say is I've always thought of it as fuck music. It is also party music, like Jaguar should be at every wedding. Absolutely, if I had my brother's, any event I have, Jaguars is going to be what gets people up on their feet.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry to brew No Mars, We've heard it. Jaguar two, you just mean the whole Jaguar. I mean the song Jaguar Oh.
Speaker 2: I see, I see, yeah, that whole album though, I mean top to bottom, top to bottom. She's an interview called big Boss on that album on the.
Speaker 1: First Jaguar, Don't I know it? Big Buss? Like a dozen. I love Victoria Fire Island this past summer. What was that playing in the bead Like when we were just like idling in bed, I was playing Jaguar two the entire time. I love that album. No, she's I love Victory. I'm so we have to go see her. Can I to say, like so easy for my diseased brain to like watch the Coachella stuff be a little jealous. I was so thrilled happy for everyone who is there, including you. I mean, like I feel like with you. It's like I immediately would turn to jealousy into like, oh wait, my sister's having fun. But that didn't that filter wasn't even there in the first place for me. I was just watching you have such a blast. You looked great, Dave looked great, Jared looked great, Stephen looked great. Patrick looked great. Was that Noah Ciris with you? Who was that woman? No, that was the iconic Bianca Bianca. She's a dead ringer for Noah Ciris as if she's her mother.
Speaker 2: She's Stephen's bestie. And we were all honest strongly high vibe, and we were it was like, I just have to say, I think last year was my first time ever going, and I was also in a certain state of mind last year when I went, you were you were with a group of people God bless them, that you weren't totally familiar with, and that makes it's fire island rules.
Speaker 1: It all depends on who you go with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so basically like, I fucking I just remember last year being like And also what I'll say is the weather was perfect this year and last year it was so fucking brutal hot, which is a risky run that actually last year I was like, I can see myself not coming if I didn't love the lineup. I am so happy I went. And now I'm the kind of person that's like I think I might go every year to that because it's just worth it. It is so worth it when you see, first of all, we haven't even talked about the fact and I can't even believe I didn't mention this, which is honestly a compliment to Renee rap how good she was. Kesha came out and they did TikTok. That's amazing and that maybe was a top three moment of the whole.
Speaker 1: Thing, right, And I haven't even gotten to all this.
Speaker 2: Other shit, like, yeah, we have huge news for the Raiders Kid's Club as it's finalists about a certain artist who was one of the headliners, and we will go into her and her career and her story very soon. Listen, I just want to say, Kesha and Renee doing TikTok was such a vibe moment. They changed the lyrics to wake up in the morning like fuck p Diddy, which felt very good and just that happening like broad strokes like no doubt that was incredible, Like every song hit, Gwen felt like Gwen, Gwen, you know what I mean, Gwen felt like Gwen Stefani up there. He hasn't felt like Gwen in a while. I mean, she was so Gwen that she's not.
Speaker 1: Rocketed on stage. I texted you this. You told me that. I went wow.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it was allergies or she had gone back for some touchups or something.
Speaker 1: I'm not rocketing now, but only because of alleries, not not drugs.
Speaker 2: But do you think he would do it on a big screen in front of Oh yeah, I don't know. With seventy five thousand people, you would not rocket.
Speaker 1: I's not rocket a little and mixed company sometimes and I forget it's such because I'm thinking this now. This is very top of mine now, because allergies are crazy. This is a seven nine degree day in New York today, beautiful weather, but the pollen is out. And I oh, I don't really money Clareton and Zyrtech because you need to do your fucking job. Yeah, get together, Clareton in Zertech cannot quiet quit on us. Do you know what I mean? Show up clock in, don't dilly dally, don't scroll on your phone all day. Yeah. Anyway, I'm really disappointed in Clareton in Zyrtech. But I's not rocket in public. What was Olivia like?
Speaker 2: First of all, Gwen says, I like said it kind of like threw it away. I'm like, did she just say Olivia Rodrigo because that would be And then I saw it was totally her. Scott got it first, so I turned and like watched our friends and the crowd.
Speaker 1: I watched it hit them and that was really fun.
Speaker 2: I mean again, like those kinds of collabs were happening all across the world when and let me just I'm saving her for a last because it really was the turning point of the moment for me. But like I walked away from this, but fucking Will Smith came out during Jay Balvin set and they did Men in Black. We missed, Shakira drop in on the show we missed, Katie Perry dropped in on a show we missed. I mean, it's unbelievable at any given time, like who's just there of course, And like I totally have no issue with it being like this standard thing to do at Coachella, just like surprise dropping guests.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there has been a lot written about the exceptional thing and this might devetail nicely into what we want to talk about for a bit between No Doubt and Olivia and Lana and Billy, like those were the two exceptions where it wasn't like younger upstart bringing in like legend legend. Yeah, it was like mother bringing daughter on. Yes, and that is very cool and interesting, and it just seemed like a very yeah for all the people who've written this year's set off, including us, this year's lineup off, I feel like it was a very cool, compelling, newsworthy Coachella year.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, let's just say, first of all, there's other things on my mind, Like I wanted just shout out Bleachers because they were unreal. And Jack Antonov, you are a king.
Speaker 1: He really is. For all, he really is a king like that boy is a rock star. And I didn't know he was such an incredible performer, a musical genius, incredible performer. You know, he's just but he is like all of these things, and he is comfortably all of these things that he has known. There's never been any sweat on Jack's face.
Speaker 2: No, except the beautiful sweat on his body during the set, and he was looking like a king.
Speaker 1: I was like, this man has every girl.
Speaker 2: Here if he wants them like him. Oh, it was like all the katies were at Bleachers.
Speaker 1: That's cute.
Speaker 2: And I met you guys and I loved it, and we were all we were all saying, that's the king right there.
Speaker 1: I just couldn't.
Speaker 2: I could not be a bigger fan of Jack Antonov, especially after that.
Speaker 1: So wait, Billy and Lana talk about it. Euphoria, Oh my god, euphoria.
Speaker 2: Oceanized into I just couldn't believe an ocean. I started what was happening, and then fucking video games like Billy on video games. Billy's voice in Coachella, ringing through the air, singing that song on that stage. Good luck, good luck to anyone else producing sound. Honestly, you flopped in the face of Billy Eiler singing video games dot Coachella.
Speaker 1: If you produce sound, you lost the war. You're done. Stop speaking and singing. If you were making any sound with your vocal chords in that moment, Honey, you lost the war.
Speaker 2: You lost this one. Take it home, Billy. Billy is such a freak and a half. Her voice is nuts, her voice is yeah nuts. It was unreal. And also I had a text bowing pretty immediately after. Lana said because I think it's public apology time. Well, because to anyone out there who thoughtful, I mean, no I'm just saying anyone who listened to this and thought, oh, this is a great pop culture podcast, we have never given Lona the credit, and I want to take ownership of my own behavior. I just usually, and I'm not blaming you for this, It's just usually you would be the person to taste make for me in this way, and I'm surprised that you're not a.
Speaker 1: Lot of freak. I am Alana freak now. I think I am on the way to lot of freakdom. Can I just say this is something that I think people can understand, and I think a lot of fans Lona Gaze can cop to. But there is something so like pro inhibitively passionate about Alana del Reggae that they're like the barrier of entry is high. I know, I know what I'm doing here. And if you come out and say, oh, I'm not like fully literate in Lana, then that is immediately disqualifying and I think doesn't encourage you to explore further because I think people start to get angry at you. Yes, she has gay mafia. She has gay mafia. It's similar to Barbes. Maybe, to be fair, it's not similar to swifties or swifties. Even if there's a diletant swifty who like crosses paths with them, a swiftie is not gonna, hopefully not gonna be like, well, you don't deserve to be called that.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, they can be like, oh you started with nineteen eighty nine cute like come here into my arms, wear a bracelet like Alana Gay will throw arsenic in your face. Yeah, if you're not like fluid in blue banisters, it's kind of over.
Speaker 1: For the girls. It's over if you don't know the entire Kinsugi melody, if you don't know all nine minutes of what's that song? Benis Bitch, then you are dead. But anyway I've been, I would say I've been a diletant Lana gay for this whole time, and I would love to make inroads to being a full fledged Lawna gay. I think it's gonna happen for both of us.
Speaker 2: And what I would ask for from our audience that and maybe if there are some Lana gays out there that feel already they filled their shoulders rising at this conversation. What we want to say is we acknowledge your authority. We acknowledge it already.
Speaker 1: We must sound so stupid, right We kiss, we kiss, we kiss, we kiss you well say. I think the big moment for Lana personally where I was like she might be one of the greatest songwriters of our generation was Norman fucking Rockwell coming out. It was like twenty seventeen, twenty nineteen, twenty nineteen, Yeah, yeah, I mean yeah, because you know what Norman fucking Rockwell like. It is kind of little monsters, put your weapons down. It is what art pop kind of was trying to be. An album about art, an album book artist, an album about people, men, women, whatever, who are artists who are destructive and toxic, and about how art itself is destructive and toxic. Like, I fucking love that album. And I was like, whoa, something's happening here, Cinnamon Girl, Are you kidding me? Yeah? Also like Mariner's Apartment Complex, so fucking good doing time. Oh it's a great album.
Speaker 2: Anyway, I mean out of my like Weekend of Yes, really seeping in it.
Speaker 1: I am actually a lust for life girly.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: I am really obsessed with a lot of songs on and also I love Born to Die. I love her first album and I realized actually when it came out, I did listen to it a lot because I'm literally sitting here and I'm like, oh, I'm off book on a lot of this. This must have been something I like let absorb in college. But really, truly, I think something did happen around that SNL performance that like did mar her in the minds of some like you know, millennial gaze that like aren't as smart as you, the Lana fan listening with your shoulders still raised you. We kiss, we love you were obsessed, you are the authority, weird, dumb, and we let the SNL performance derail us. That was our bad Yes.
Speaker 1: You know what derailed it for me for a bit? What listening to National Anthem when that album came out with our good Girl Rachel Durrowski, because me and Rachel were high off of our gourds in college listening to National Anthem and laughing, crying tears at her singing money is the reason we exactly everybody it's a kids kiss and we were like, that is the dumbest lyric ever written. And now but see, now this is the thing, and like, this is what I wish I could tell myself back then in twenty twelve, like wait, wait four albums, you're gonna see it's her thing. It makes sense. She's a character. Yeah. People were telling me that back then, but I didn't realize it. Yeah, you just thought, Oh, this dummy, this fucking dumbass writing about money kiss because she made kiss kiss rhyme with exist, this stupid idiot. I love it. Now I'm the stupid idiot. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Where I was at back then. I was like, do I think this is ironic or not? I hope I did, but I can't recall literally it being around. I just I was never interacting with her. And then because I think the SNL thing I took up so much space. But I knew the album, I knew the music. But now when she's performing at Coachella, and by the way, her vocals are in credible beautiful, like live there, haunting. She's got such control. I love the amount of like character she plays when she sings, like I love. She's just very fucking creative obviously, just like I now understand everyone being like, right, this is the one. Like I remember years ago, even Kanye West sorry said like, no pop girl is doing it like Lana, she she is leagues ahead, and I remember being like, what he is crazy?
Speaker 1: And then now I'm like, oh.
Speaker 2: She really and Billy at the end of their set together was like, this is the reason why half of us were even born, like like giving all the credit video games a song that came out when she was nine. You know, you realize, like Lana del Rey has been around. There are albums and albums, there is such a discography that she like had you know, one tenth of the stuff you would want to hear up there on that stage and not a moment wasted. It was fucking great.
Speaker 1: I love that. I'm so so happy you enjoyed it. I hope she feels some amount of I mean, she's felt this multiple times in your career since the SNL performance, but like, I hope she's felt some vindication, and especially at Coachella, like that is a career peak for so many artists. And I'm not saying she's not gonna ascend more heights rater heights, but I hope she felt very, very proud, because that is that is a long game of like knowing that people are gonna deliberately misunderstand you at first, and then coming in on top.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I mean there was a billboard on the way out there that referenced the SNL performance.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you this. There was a billboard that was like.
Speaker 2: It was some like biblical reference like and then the date of the SNL performance and the letters SNL. And Patrick was like, yeah, that's a lot of billboard. I'm like, is she still stuck on the SNL thing? Do you think she thinks about it? Am I safe at my job? Are the Lana Gay's gonna fucking storm the capitol? I think that all we're saying is love. I mean, I think that you are an ally now there.
Speaker 1: But the Lana stands, don't I think the Lana stands. What if they just come and destroy us. They're gonna check us, They're gonna check out.
Speaker 2: No, I please, I want so badly to be part of the community. And all I want to do is come with my arms wide open. And if it means I have to disassociate from Bowen Yang, yeah, I will throw off. Plus I will take me, take me.
Speaker 1: Well. Can I tell you something that got in the way for me for Lana personally? And it's maybe the stupidest, most unbased literally thing that I've ever acted on in my days as a pop stand I.
Speaker 2: Think you should because whenever you share personal stories as a reason why you believe something, it helps the listener really understand you better. And I think that by sharing this personal anecdote that we're going to come to a lot of understanding on the podcast.
Speaker 1: Thank you for teaching me. This is something that I read on a message board at gagadaily dot com. Oh no, and this was right before art pop came out, right after Lana kind of blew up, and there was apparently someone might have lied. Somebody lied to me several times several times on that message board and made allegations that Lana del Rey was posting screeds on her Twitter and Instagram, but mostly Twitter at the time. This person said that Lana was out there being like, Lady Gaga sucks, fuck you, you stupid bitch. Why are you collabing with Kendrick Lamar all this stuff? And I was like, she's toast, She's dead. To me, you were lied to, Lena Delray. I was lied to. I don't I don't think there was any actual beef between Lana and Gaga. It doesn't seem like there would be no, no, no, I don't know why. I think there is mutual love and respect there.
Speaker 2: She kind of gives me the vibe of a character that I sometimes do called shy toxic girl, like a girl who's very shy, but the second you fuck with her, she can become very toxic.
Speaker 1: I don't think when you even have to fuck with her. I think she's kind of just toxic the whole time.
Speaker 2: If you just talk to her, she she's shy, she will not make the first move in the conversation. But if you just so much as try to strike up conversation with her, toxic girl, do you want to try it?
Speaker 1: Do you want to do it now and show people what it is? Sure? Try to approach me. Okay, So Matt is kind of looking down, sipping his water, blank stare throughout the space. Hi there me, Yeah? Hi? How are you? A lot of people here don't like you. What how did you know? Yeah? You're going yang right? Did you take a poll?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I didn't have to. They were all saying it already. Oh, they were offering it up to you. Yeah. I'm really easy to talk to. Apparently not for me.
Speaker 2: I don't find that to be true personally, my pussy, Like, that's shy, toxic girl. That's shy toxic girl for you. Try it with your friends, although a lot of you probably don't even have to try. Our readership so shy and toxic. Everyone that came up at Coachella was so sweet. I loved meaning you guys.
Speaker 1: Of course.
Speaker 2: Wait and can I tell you where I saw the most readers and katies And in fact, someone shout out to the Q case who told me they were publicists, because I always remember my publicist at Chapel Roone who destroyed That was the first show of the whole weekend.
Speaker 1: That was the tone center. Oh my god, in front of our eyes. I so happy people were giving you the flowers you deserve because you were king publicist for a second there for her. Listen.
Speaker 2: It's all I can do to point someone to Chapel when she's there doing it all, Like, I mean, look at that.
Speaker 1: Like every single.
Speaker 2: Time I see Chapel Rowan, I leave thinking I was just a part of something special.
Speaker 1: That was the third time I've seen her. And apparently her streaming has gone way up since something shifted.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, since even her performance and obviously before that, like the Olivia Rodrigo tour of it all, like people are finding chapel and the sky is the limit. The Tiny Desk was huge, by the way, if you haven't watched her Tiny Desk, you must. I love that she's committing to like this drag queen aesthetic. I think it's a blast, but like slightly busted, like lipstick on the teeth, you know. And the new song good Luck Babe is really really fucking good and everyone was living singing at the bridge incredible usea. She is wailing, wailing, and the vocal is a real thing. Her vocals.
Speaker 1: Yes, God, that song is so good. It's giving like I don't know, fucking Billy Idol and Kate Bush at the same time. Like there's something so cool about the way she's like combining these sounds. It's giving the gay pop that Jojo Siwah is claiming she's pioneering right now, and she is. Don't you dare question?
Speaker 2: No, I'm sorry if we're afraid of the Lana gas did Jojo gays come at me?
Speaker 1: Oh careful, listen.
Speaker 2: I don't know what is I don't know what this new era is, but maybe it's just not for me, which is totally fine.
Speaker 1: In about twelve years. This is exactly what happened with us and Lana.
Speaker 2: How can I never give Jojo the credit when she's headlining go Jella.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know she's She's on her way to headlining Coade. I love that.
Speaker 2: I will be there, and you're right, I'll be eating crow. I'll be eating humble pie. Humble Pie.
Speaker 1: Now, were you in the vicinity of Teresa Judaice meeting Taylor Swift?
Speaker 2: No, but here's what I will say about that whole thing. When that picture so okay being at Coachella weekend one when Lana is headlining and Sabrina is there. By the way, Sabrina was very cute. I love espresso. The music video is super cute. She was on the Coachello stage. I do have to say I came from Chapel Roone, which was so special that the energy was just lower at the Sabrina show. But she's adorable. She looks like Hayden Panatsia fucking year in the face. It's a head.
Speaker 1: Transplant, I am sure of it.
Speaker 2: So she is performing, and so Jack with Bleachers is also there. There's kind of just this looming thing of Taylor right, Taylor has the album this week, you know, like Lana headlining, she had brought her up for the album of the year thing. The fact that Billy came out and not Taylor, I think everyone was holding their breath for Taylor to come out, and I left feeling like, oh, like Taylor will definitely come out next week. Then like in Billy's place, like maybe the day or album comes out, Lana's headlining, Taylor comes out. But then people started talking like maybe there's some kind of like the vibe isn't very good between Lana and Taylor right now, because Taylor was like pictured in Sushi Park in Los Angeles and then came the next day and took pictures with like Teresa Judices. You know, she was pictured more with Teresa Judice at Coachella, and she was definitely like at the Ice Bye show. So I don't know what message is trying to be sent here, or maybe it's just a girl at Coachella with her boyfriend and she really wanted to have sushi on Friday instead of seeing her friend Headline, who.
Speaker 1: She said was the reason why all the girls are popping off. But we'll see this week. I mean, let's check back in in a week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was this anticipation that then became like a little like like what's happening?
Speaker 1: And then she never did show up, but she was there. She was there. Let's check back in in a week about the new album. I love that she's putting out a Kubler Ross album, Stages of Grief album. I'm very into the theme so far. I'm very into the theme. And do you see the songwriting credits all Jack and Aaron? Mm hmmm, very very interesting.
Speaker 2: Let's check back in, as we say, will you never know what to expect with Taylor? No, will we get Taylor or Taylor? Maybe a mix of both? Maybe TAYLORA, TAYLORA. Have we ever had TAYLORA? Bravex TAYLORA. That was the birth of TAYLORA.
Speaker 1: That was the birth of Taylor. She was so evenly Taylor and Taylor was that midnights? That was midnight Taylor happened.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, wow, we are just swimming in the music, swimming in the music. I was just gonna say, like, in conclusion, for the Coachella thing, it was just like it was nice to go to a music festival and see like, oh, music is like in a really good space, like there's a lot of really cool artists, Like I walked past this for Olivia Dean and now I'm like such a fan, like you walk past and like you experienced something cool and new and it was the vibes were very good, the weather was fucking perfect, and I was so happy to go.
Speaker 1: I'm so happy to hear snippet of new Billy song that she played for Zay and Low. Yeah, I'm excite.
Speaker 2: I mean again, like Billy has me in the palm of her hand, right. I think this is gonna be a cunty album.
Speaker 1: All love to Happier than ever, stripped down jazzy, love it, but like I do miss that when we all fall asleep, era like fucking blast this at the club for me, why don't you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I will say off happier than ever. I do love Oxytocin that kind of gave something like the first one. But I'm wanting to sort of like a monster single from her that like, but she's not doing a monster single until after the album comes out, So yeah, I love that move too.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm I am going back to my like bagg at roots. I bought Judy at Carnegie Hall. Finyl go on. I'm like, oh, yeah, sure, like you know, legendary night. Yeah yeah. People are like it's it was the greatest concert ever. I'm like, like truly, like literally it has been called the greatest night I think, the greatest concert ever, or the greatest night ever or whatever, the greatest night of all, the greatest night of all something. No, but I know you're being funny, but like it was something like that. Yeah. I think she's the first woman to win Album of the Year. Judy Garland with Judy at Carnegie Hall. Ooh, I'm ninety percent surreying right about that. But that album one Album of the Year in fucking I think seventy one. Oh when did that album come out? Are you checking Judy at Carnegie Hall?
Speaker 2: There are some Judy gaze out there there that are just as vicious as the Lanagas. Who knows already they're listening to us do this and they're saying, oh my god.
Speaker 1: Please correct the record. I meant nineteen sixty one. I was a whole decade off the album on the Grammy Ward for Apple of the Year, making Garland the first woman to win the award. Bohen you knew so many.
Speaker 2: Of the elements of that fact, and I'm thinking that, like, I know, you're gonna beat yourself up for the nineteen one of it all, but you knew so many elements of that fact. Thank you, thank you, But can we give it up for Judy one hundred percent? These people in that room are some of the luckiest people in the world. Yeah, that was a moment in history. Was that like an eventized thing at the time?
Speaker 1: I guess so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was Judy at Carnegie Hall, So then it's like, was it like a big night?
Speaker 1: It was like imagine like Beyonce doing one show that was going to be a retrospective of her entire career in a four or five thousand seat space.
Speaker 2: You have to try to go to these things. If you can, you have to go see live music. That's just how I feel Like so many times this weekend, I was like, I am so fucking thankful I saw that, like I may have seen the last time No Doubt ever performs together. I'd coach, you know what I mean, that's amazing. I will say, I'm sort of skipping around this. Doja kad didn't give what I want?
Speaker 1: Oh, oh, that's too bad, That's okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean she did a lot of the last album, and she did Demons and she had this bit where all of her dancers were covered in blonde hair and she had this long blonde wig and that was really great. But she didn't do any like the more poppy stuff and I would have loved some of them. Well, she has a complicated relationship with that. She seems tortured about it, Like I think she did say.
Speaker 1: So at a show recently and was like, come on, cash grab, and you're like, but that wasn't a cash grab at the time because you were writing that when you were still up and coming. I don't know. I mean, like she can. Her relationship to her old music is whatever she wants to be. I do remember the days when she was like just an algorithm artist to me. She had an EP out, she had a song called go to Town that I loved and the really awesome music video. This is before MoU I was with Dojo pod MoU yea. This is crazy.
Speaker 2: I do remember you again, taste Maker. Like I said before, you were the one who showed me moo. Not so much anymore. I used to be pretty.
Speaker 1: I used to keep my ear to the ground on these things much better than I do now. But like Premu, I was like, you gotta listen to this girl doja Cat. She can rap, she can sing, like all these things. And then I do like Scarlet a lot. I do hope for the day soon when she is able to reckon with the multitudes of styles that she's kind of like played in and so and bring them all together and not have those be at war with each other. Yeah.
Speaker 2: My thing is like, if you don't like the music, then sure, don't do it, but let's not act like cooler than the pop thing that like has brought all lot of people to that stage to watch you, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And also they're great fucking songs. They're amazing, Like they're great songs. Like I don't know. And this is assuming again that she doesn't like say so, But if she said what you just said, then like, I don't know. I think probably a note for that type of person would be to be less online and care less about what people say because you obviously loved the song or like the song a lot, at least at one point enough to make a lot of other ones like it even and do that for a while, So to shirk it off like that is I think a shame.
Speaker 1: She even did that with Planet Her and I'm like, I thought that was like the Imperial Phase album, and that for an Imperio Phase album, that is an excellent fucking record. I think Doja may be a little more bothered than she wants people to think. I do think she's very online, and that's okay, who among us isn't. But I hope it's something that is overcome very perfect blue vibes. I'm sorry to say, yeah, very And also I want to say what she did was excellent. It was just a lot of it felt like like an art installation and not a show. No problem. People do that, Yeah, people do that all the time. I want to shout out, I love Maggie Rodgers album alone. Oh yeah, I saw you spinning it talk on this. It's just really lovely, tight, perfect, like upstate driving music, which I told her to her face. I was like, don't forget me had just come out. I'd taken my trip to Wildflower Farm and that song came out, and then I got to do this thing at Carnegie Hall with her. Speaking of Carnegie Hall, oh yeah, and I got to tell her. I was like, congrats on the new singles. They're great. Don't forget me. It was like blasting in my car on the way upstate and it was perfect, and she like looked at me and was like, that is exactly what I was going for with this album. I was like, oh, great, then, I can't wait to hear it. And then she even makes an usion to driving upstate. Give it a twirl. It's really good.
Speaker 2: I will, because that's when I first fell in love with her. Was an upstate moment.
Speaker 1: Did I introduce Maggie Rodgers to you too? No?
Speaker 2: You actually I think you probably were a reinforcer, But I do remember it was on in the car and I the person that had introduced Maggie Rogers to us was Mike Kelton on this podcast.
Speaker 1: Oh yes, you're right, You're so right.
Speaker 2: This was before she This was I think only right after the Pharrell the Farrell thing had been out, yes, and he had maybe heard a couple other songs, but pre the album. Because I remember then we were proficient in her enough again to bring back proficiency to be like, oh, yeah, she has a lot of new music, and then I fell in love.
Speaker 1: Well, I played my album because the album had just come out when we met upstate. And then I think I'm not taking any credit for like were introducing you to her, but I do remember like being like, oh, Matt, you would love the full album.
Speaker 2: Yes, And then we were also there when she did SNL, she did Falling Water and light light On and she did.
Speaker 1: So that was a fucking huge record for her. I loved light On so much.
Speaker 2: It was like the song I needed to hear at the time. That was like after Henry and I broke up and I was trying to get that was that.
Speaker 1: That was at the end of our we had like a hard summer and then that was that fall. Yeah. Yeah, then look at you now?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: God, Oh dude, good.
Speaker 2: Since then, my marijuana has enveloped my mind now, so listen, talk to me about this. Oh. J.
Speaker 1: Simpson is dead. I saw headline that he was saying that he told an interviewer once that it's hard for me to live in LA because at any moment, I could be sitting next to the person who quote did it. Oh, I'm like.
Speaker 2: This man is still out here denying I could still be the person who didn't at anytime.
Speaker 1: Like and that's what you were, fucking crazy man.
Speaker 2: Goodbye. Oh. I was at Coachella when I found out you died. Patrick and I were like, house and I were like.
Speaker 1: We're always like somewhere somewhere someone dies always when I'm on vacation. Yeah, it happens all the time. Kobe died. Oh, I was very much at home when Kobe died. That was sad.
Speaker 2: Who died when you were on vacation? Didn't someone die when we were in Palm Springs?
Speaker 1: Someone died? Betty White died when we were in Mexico City. Yes, someone did die when we were in We shouldn't be having fun when people drop. People drop when I drop in. People A lot of people on a vacation with Betty White diye because it was New Year's Eve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, we all share in the blame of Betty White's death. We couldn't keep Betty White alive. How fucking dare we?
Speaker 1: How dare we? O? J? Simpson is dead?
Speaker 2: What else we don't know where? Clarence Thomas is right, he didn't show up to court.
Speaker 1: If you're not going to show up to court, then what are we supposed to do?
Speaker 2: I mean, we were just talking in the car about this, because we were talking about the Clarence Thomas of it all, and I was like, this is not mine. I don't think so, honey. But I don't think so, honey. Lifetime appointments. That doesn't make any fucking sense. And it makes me so annoyed when I realized, like we have like a certain set of rules that like no one can question.
Speaker 1: That are so stupid.
Speaker 2: It is so dumb for someone to have a lifetime appointment to anything.
Speaker 1: I thought we were supposed to not have that anywhere whatever. I'm so stoned. I don't care.
Speaker 2: Bowen and I have a problem with the way the Supreme Court works. Okay, and we're here Tom lost culturis to talk about it. Welcome back to another episode of Talking Biden. Our podcast slowly transforms over the next six months into Talking Bouten.
Speaker 1: No, I can't. We have to do we have to do what we can we can't. We can't do that. We will be renaming the podcast Talking Biden. If anyone thinks we're being serious, please there was something I wanted to ask risk earlier, like disclaiming like we're not being serious here, but I forget what it is. And I am just gonna live with the consequence. There's a disclaimer on this whole podcast.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's disclaimer. We are two dummies often this high talking about tunes. There's just tunes, and they're just characters that sing them.
Speaker 1: Are they real people? I don't know, No, no, no, I mean I am very much looking forward to being with you in Los Angeles when this Taylor album drops. Yeah. My fantasy is we will be playing it and we will be on the floor staring at the ceiling. I'm literally in the room where we're going to be playing it, and the vibes in here for listening to music are so good because my apartment is so kind of small, so the music stays in a contained space. Now that's what makes the sound even better.
Speaker 2: Yes, this is actually musicology. Prince was my teacher. When you listen to music in a very small room, especially with a carpet, the sound gets soaked up, and especially on vinyl.
Speaker 1: But we won't be able to listen to it on vinyl, will we Hmm? I think we don't have to stay locked into this plan that you.
Speaker 2: Want to go watch it at Jared's because he has our quote unquote watched I get it.
Speaker 1: Listen to what I mean. Oh, listen, I'm not gonna be picky.
Speaker 2: You know what we are calling from the spirits of Taylor. What we are calling by doing this, you being in LA and us being together for the first time we listened to it. What we are calling is folklore. S it's folklore. Yeah, we are calling that forward. We really are.
Speaker 1: It's better than when folklore came out, because when folklore came out, we were at Greta Teitelman's house and she and Sudie were making too much noise.
Speaker 2: They were making way too much noise in the home that Greta owned, and I was like, you know what, stop.
Speaker 1: This is not about you.
Speaker 2: In the house that you own and have paid for it. This is about us. You don't live by your own rules and your house. This is about us having an experience listening to Taylor Swift.
Speaker 1: That was a really special night. Also, can I say one of the first nights during the pandemic, when we ate dinner outside, we were being very like you know, COVID era social distance.
Speaker 2: We were like, it's a weird world, but it's a new world. We're eating outside on the street.
Speaker 1: But then we kind of broke the rules and we're like, maybe we should go inside, Like we've all been feeling okay the last like week or so, right, let's just go inside. Thankfully no one got COVID. Yeah, and it was five k, It was five of us. When did that up come out? Was it July twenty twenty? July twenty twenty, Yeah, never forget.
Speaker 2: Okay, So July twenty twenty, people started rolling the dice. Okay, let's just say it. People started eating inside in groups of four period period and you did it. You did it, Lana del Rey Fan, drop your shoulders, don't be so upset. We want to be with you. We want to be with you more than anything.
Speaker 1: Oh wait, I got a clip of Lana singing the Grants, that first track off of did you Know There's a Tunnel under a funny Amazing I'm gonna do that thing with the three singers.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, it was really special, like there's such incredible musicians around her too. And I also want to say she looked on believable.
Speaker 1: She looked like shimmerie dress, a movie star.
Speaker 2: And the way that she came out was like her riding in on the motorcycle like so unbothered, and then she her literal last song was young and Beautiful and then just gets on the motorcycle and rides out like no fanfare, just like bye, with her little smile on. And the last question she asked the audience was will you still love me when I'm no longer young and beautiful? Got on the motorcycle on left, and I said something for us all to think about. My answer will be yes, Lana.
Speaker 1: Yes. Here's a question. Is this the year of Gatsby. Gatsby is somehow back in the year of country and the year of Gatsby at the same time. How can we make this happen? I don't know. I mean, cowboys exist in the twenties, who's to say, Who's to say? I think they were invented in two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it was when mya dude didn't music.
Speaker 1: She started a cowboys. She really was for she really was Wait a minute, you know who was an amazing parody of the music video on Matt TV was Mo Collins. Mo Collins doing Madonna on Mat TV goes under appreciate it? Can we give it up for Mo Collins? Period? It's a movement not a moment. It's a movement, not a moment.
Speaker 2: I said that after every single and you were right every time each time. Now I want to say, I want to shout I've impassioned because I want to shout out randomly as fuck, but not undeservedly do it. Mo Collins, Will Sasso, Deborah Messaying, Nicole Sullivan out for Stein, Stephanie Weird. Deborah mess I said, Deborah Wilson, didn't you said, Deborah mess straps take off? Matt TV had a goaded cast. Yeah, really just leave it at that. Funny fucking people.
Speaker 1: They all had it all they did.
Speaker 2: But Mel Collins did a parody of music by Madonna and it was about my movies. Ma Mikes Roger Ebert, I was like, so stupid. Oh it was about her bad reviews. It was about her movies being bad.
Speaker 1: See mad TV.
Speaker 2: You guys had a talented cast, but you really did do some pretty mean stuff.
Speaker 1: You guys were mean.
Speaker 2: There was no reason to say the things that you said. Sometimes you should be ashamed of yourself. So if we just named you, sit in shame for an after no no shame, it's time for I don't think so, honey, we're making this a quick hour today.
Speaker 1: We have some interesting episodes and guests coming up.
Speaker 2: Let's just say the form is going to be a little broken here and there, and you know, bro' you're coming to town to do one of these. Maybe we should do after we've listened to the album. Maybe we should discuss the album live so we can have an episode that is like a tortured poet's department episode and then potentially try to get someone else from La to hop on love that love that idea. And then we got to do our iconic four hundred at some point. Yes, we continue to miss it.
Speaker 1: We have blown past four hundred so so long ago. Yeah, this is I don't think Sonny. This is where we take one minute to rail against something in culture. Matt, do you have something? I do something? Okay, I I'm very glad that we were both locked and loaded. This is Matt Rodgers. I don't think so, honey. As time starts now, I don't think so honey.
Speaker 2: That tea Pain was put in the Heineken House, which had an exclusive cap on it because it's allow put tea Pain on a major stage. Yeah, Dave and I wanted to be throwing ass at tea Pain. We were so excited and then we went over. We actually he started playing at the same time during Bleacher's a set.
Speaker 1: We were so mesmerized we didn't pull ourselves away.
Speaker 2: So then we arrived blade to Te Pain, which looked like the party. And I don't think so honey, that it was in the Heineken House, which is probably a lovely house. I'm sure full of laughter and Heineken and enjoyment, because everyone came out beaming ear to ear, shaking their ass after what T Pain had.
Speaker 1: Done to them.
Speaker 2: But I don't think so honeysact that everyone could see it.
Speaker 1: Put Te Pain on the outdoor stage. Want to buy you a drink?
Speaker 2: That's where my voice is at, and it would have been even worse had I seen T Pain.
Speaker 1: But I don't think so honey will never know. That's one minute. Can we just say, first of all, I'm so sorry you canno get into the Heineken House. I would have loved to see te pain.
Speaker 2: Te Pain is someone who has committed himself to spreading joy.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. I'm dead ass by you and drink You're right, and I'm about to be dead ass even more by you a drink was one of the pieces of culture that made me say cultures. For me, there was something about that song going number one and being the song of the summer two thousand and six seven. I want to say, yep, where I was like, I am tapped into the culture here. I'm loving this as much as everyone else is. I'm going to dance to this at the Chinese School Sunday with the Chinese School Sunday crowd. I'm gonna, guess shake my ass to this. At homecoming, I'm gonna shake my ass to this with the straight kids, the gay kids, everyone in between, and.
Speaker 2: Ongoing forever because guess what in the year of Our Lord twenty twenty four that Heindeken House was packed.
Speaker 1: It surprises me not at all that that was the place to be at Coachella.
Speaker 2: I mean, unfortunately it was at the same time as Bleachers, which was the simultaneous place to be and so.
Speaker 1: We love bleachers. Keep pain though. Te pain is something very very special. Oh yeah, and I don't mean this with an ounce of irony. I love a tea pain.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm you're in tears. You're in tears. Bowen is actually about to cry.
Speaker 1: Like I'm talking about Conan all over again. Tea Pain and Conan do share that though like smart people who want to spread joy. I'm serious. No, listen, if I could have snuck into the Heineken house, I would have. Heinnegan is getting a lot of play on the episode, So I should also say thank you Absolute. You were an amazing to go with. Absolute. You have a deep.
Speaker 2: Love from Matt Rogers and Bowen Yang. Thank you for everything you've done for us and for the world and for the drinking community. Absolute Vodka, Bowenyang, you have your I don't think so money, ready to locked, it loaded and ready to go. Yes, okay, period, this is Bowen Yang's I don't think so honey. As time starts now, I don't think so honey.
Speaker 1: Me being mentioned and all the Doctor Diloman news that has just been announced at CinemaCon that the great inimitable Peter Dinklage will be joining us as our Dilamand I had to sit on that news for a while and the best I could do was go on watch What Happens Live and say, so far Dilomand is an amazing puppet teer named Louis so who was incredible on set and was on little crutches getting into goat position, goat ponzer, going into the goat lilt and the goat timber and doing Diloman's lines and being a fucking pro at it. I could not reveal it. I was Peter Dnklige. Maybe we were still casting for the par I say we as if I was involved in that process fifteen seconds.
Speaker 2: Also, I don't think so. Honey, Anti Cohen, what what is your deal with doctor Dilomand anyway, why do you hate Diloman so much because he s a goat? Feels kind of weird to me? What's your deal with goats? Goats our gorgeous, peaceful creatures that might be allowed every now and then but are ultimately very important to the agricultural world. And that's one minute. One thing I know about Andy Cohen is he's a speciesist. Yeah, that tracks, He's a species He's a speciesist. He's a huge speciesus. He thinks that humans are just better. That is, we all know that is a not true. Shaking my head out s m d h smdh. I'm looking forward to Peter Tinkleich's performance. Did you always know? No, it was truly just Louisa. I think Peter Will be an absolute joy to listen to as the goat Will.
Speaker 1: I don't know, Like God, I never want to do an interview ever again or be asked about anything, because all I said was we had a puppeteer. She was amazing. Then people ran that story and said it's going to be played by a woman. Not true.
Speaker 2: And then people ran with that story and the fucking queer scuttle butt from that point on was it's gonna be a Dina. Why would it make any sense for a Dina. No, you guys are that's the queer scuttle but gone awry, the queer scuttle butt on that one, and it often doesn't. I want to say, I want to I'm not commenting on anything, but if there was any queer scuttle butt news about me, none of that was. Oh, let's just address that queer scuttle butt from me right now.
Speaker 1: Here's what I'll say. Some of these people out there who are acting up better stop. That's it.
Speaker 2: There you go, and we're not talking to you, the Lana gays. We just want to reinforce that we want to be with you, we want we love you, We respect you, We acknowledge your hard yards, your years of dedication.
Speaker 1: We are but neo fights, We are but neophytes.
Speaker 2: Well, this was the queer scuttle butt as of this week on Talking Biden, and it's important that US queer voice is really ray up at this time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and disclaimer, we are not talking Biden. That is just a fun pseudo era that we're in right now. That is not real. Yeah, that's not real.
Speaker 2: I think the podcast will stay lost culture is this for years to come, And that is something that I'm galvanized about as we head towards I don't even know what it is our four hundred and tenth, eleventh twelfth episode. We could be at four hundred and sixty six. We truly stopped counting our producers and us individually, and you know, Head of Content Hans, we literally all have a different number.
Speaker 1: What we think it is. That's an interesting.
Speaker 2: Phenomenon, that's a very interesting. So it's sort of becoming a thing of the four hundredth episode will sort of just drop one day and it will be beautiful, and it will be plentiful.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean not since the Bible has there been so many differing accounts in points of view of the same story. The story is four hundredth episode. One person's Matthew, one person's John, one person's Luke.
Speaker 2: I don't know what, and they never could get it together. Those disciples, they never could get it together. It's actually a real culture number eight. Those disciples, they can never get to get it together.
Speaker 1: We end every episode with the song It's You. It's You well will You?
Speaker 2: You can sort of sing it like Gaga and it works everything I knew.
Speaker 1: I tell you all the time. Heaven has a place on will You. It's sort of giving a million reasons we did. We talk about the Joker two trailer next time.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that was good Bye Bye,