Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff you should know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh and there's Chuck and it's just the two of us, and we are doing an episode on boycotts today because boy boycott's really sticking your crawl. Did a lot of them. They seem to be overused in this era, and I wanted to see how the whole thing worked, just from watching them happen over and over again.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, you know Webster's defines a boycott as a collective active refusal. Yeah, so does Steve, who help us with this. But you know what we're talking about, right, that's when people get together these days. Usually it's a call on social media or something, and they say, hey, we're not going to buy this thing from your store, or we're not gonna buy anything from your store, or we're not gonna buy anything from your company, or we're not going to buy anything from your state or country because we want to hit your bottom line, hitch in the wallet.
Speaker 2: As they say, to get you to change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean to get you to change, or I think, in some people's cases these days, just to be mean because I hate what you stand for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I want to say I'm not poop pooing the entire concept of boycotts. What what I was taking issue with is just how fast and loose they come, over and over that if you really followed every boycott like you had starve to death, there'd be nowhere you could buy food any longer, let alone anything else.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, and can I quickly say also that these sort of so many calls for these boycotts and social media, they're also I feel like a lot of times like just not thought out and that like you're boycotting this one thing, but the same company owns this other thing that you like, and they just seem to be kind of the dumb version of boycotts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're very knee jerk, they're not very organized, and they're just emotionally driven. All boycotts have some level of emotion and to them driving them, But there's also supposed to be a lot more to them if you're gonna make it successful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're gonna cover all that stuff.
Speaker 2: But also one more thing, Chuck, I am also not poopooing anybody caring about something that's great. I will always promote somebody caring about something that's important to you, and a lot of people show that they care by joining in on boycotts or maybe even starting boycotts.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean you're known as the guy who cares.
Speaker 2: Who's been calling me that the public at large.
Speaker 1: I think that's your nickname on Reddit, the.
Speaker 2: Boy who cares and the best all around boy.
Speaker 1: Oh man, look at that match made and heaven.
Speaker 2: The barb, the BHC and the barb.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: So let's start talking about boycotts because, like I said, I was curious in how they worked. We havesked David help us with them. And what I didn't know right out of the gate is that Boycott is somebody's last name. The first guy whoever on record, got boycotted was named Charles Cunningham Boycott.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That seems like something we would make up as a bit, yeah, but it's actually totally true. He was an Englishman living in Ireland and County Mayo, and he was a rent collector, specifically would collect rent for absentee British landlords from Irish tenant farmers who were having a very rough time in eighteen seventy nine, down on.
Speaker 2: Their luck, as you'd put it. There was a terrible famine. This is after the Great Irish Potato famine, but this one wasn't so wonderful either, And so these farmers were not exactly looking forward to being evicted for being behind on rent. And Boycott apparently seems to be one of those people who had like he just followed the rules. You're the one who's not paying your rent, so get out. And the Irish people in County Mayo decided to do something about it. They formed an organization called the Land League, and they were agitating for fair rents. They were agitating for an end to evictions, and Charles Boycott just kept evicting people. So they're like, we've got to try something else. What can we do. Let's do everything we can to ruin Charles Boycott's life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and if there was only a name for this kind.
Speaker 2: Of action, they're like, we'll get to that later, yeah.
Speaker 1: But we can't think of one. So later, in a letter to the Times of London, Boycott basically kind of summarize what they had been doing. And we're not going to read all this word for word, but you know, they really screwed with his business. He's you know, they collected in crowds on his farm. They you know, would harass him at his house. They threatened people that worked for him, like his blacksmith apparently got a letter threatening him with murder if he did any more work for him. They threatened his laundress to stop washing his clothes, and he couldn't get anybody to do any kind of work for him, basically and ruined his business. It became a big story, like not just there, but kind of internationally. The British newspapers picked it up. The British newspapers also raised funds to send fifty Northern Irish loyalists to harvest his potato crop, because you could didn't get anyone to do it because they were afraid they'd get you know, physically beaten or harassed, and they were protected by British troops. And apparently, by one account, it cost ten thousand pounds to harvest five hundred pounds worth of potatoes from those Northern Irish loyalists.
Speaker 2: I did some conversions, let's hear it. So if they spent ten thousand pounds sterling to harvest these potatoes, they spent a million pounds sterling or one point four million dollars in today's money to harvest fifty two thousand pounds sterling or seventy thousand dollars worth of potatoes. Isn't that insane? That really just drives it home. That's why I do those conversions, Yeah, because I want to drive at home. How nuts?
Speaker 1: That was totally nuts. He left Ireland boycott did in disgrace. It was a very successful challenge to his authority. Can't call it a boycott yet, but you could very soon because American journalist James Redpath said, you know what, the first person who used that as a verb was a local priest, believe it or not. His name was Father O'Malley, who said, I believe he suggested the land League try the same thing on another landlord named Brown, and he said, let's do what they did to boycott. Let's do a boycott on this Brown. That's what we're gonna do. We're going to boycott Brown. See the word is a verb, it's boycott. You understand.
Speaker 2: That was a great father O'Malley.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so just by covering father O'Malley using it as a verb. Writing about these new boycotts, James Redpath, who appears to have been a contemporaryaneous journalist to this time. He kind of helped generate this idea that you could actually get stuff done by boycotting. People check this out. And so I think in the next year there are more than a thousand boycotts in Ireland without social media.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there were thousand boycotts, and that means father O'Malley one hundred thousand times said, remember it's called boycotten.
Speaker 2: That is so good. We're going to get two emails from people who aren't even Irish that are mad at us for doing that. Yeah, and then fifteen emails from people from Ireland who are like that was a hilarious chuck totally, that's how it goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and maybe one from father a father O'Malley, because I know there's a bunch of them.
Speaker 2: Ye, I'm going to say, that doesn't narrow it down at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that's where the whole boycott got started in County Mayo, Ireland. And since then people have studied these things and have really kind of gotten down to almost the science what it would take to make a boycott effective, and there have been a lot of effective boycotts over the years. We're going to talk about some of them, but to just kind of pull apart the nuts in the bolts. There's just a handful of things that you really have to do just right, and then it's sprinkle it with a little bit of luck and you could have an effective boycott on your hands.
Speaker 1: I think you meant just a little bit of luck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit of leper kind.
Speaker 1: Dust right, Yeah, for sure. These are the one, two, three, four, five six things you need to do. If you you know, you can boycott your day away. But if you want to really be effective these there at least i'd say probably four out of six of these need to be around.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Six steps to ruining target's market share.
Speaker 1: You gotta have a clear goal in mine, which means you have an outcome in mind. Basically m hm. You want to narrow target. So you want to either target like a very narrow like a product or just a single company. H That's why sometimes when I think about like, yeah, you're targeting this company, but like the parent company isn't targeted. I don't know. That's where it can get a little messy.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, and poor targets, Like can you guys stop using the word target when you're talking about boycotts.
Speaker 1: Uh, there's also awareness and education, because your your goal here is to not only getting them to change whatever they're doing, but to bring awareness and educate people and whatever you feel like they're doing wrong.
Speaker 2: Well. Plus also the more support you have, the better off you are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, good point.
Speaker 2: You also want to reach core customers. This is a very important point.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They've turned up an expert in boycotts and studying boycotts who said, essentially, if you have a bunch of PEDA members who are boycotting Kentucky Fried Chicken, like, that's not going to have much an effect because none of those PEDA members were ever buying Kentucky Fried Chicken in the first place. And yeah, maybe you could generate some public sympathy, but you're not getting to their core customers necessarily. Yeah, and that's what makes it effective.
Speaker 1: What else, Yeah, Uh, there's sustain Uh, there's substitutability. This is a big one, because if you can very easily switch to another brand of whatever, then it's going to make your boycott far more effective. Like if then you know, we'll get to other examples later. But like you know, with the big blood Light boycott was a very big and we're going to cover later. It was really easy for the people who wanted a boycott by light to switch to another, like an expensive light beer. So that was a pretty effective boycott because it's like super easy. Yeah, I'll just drink Miller Led or whatever, right.
Speaker 2: Or I'll go to churches or Popeyes rather than Kentucky Fried Chicken exactly. And then also like if you want a successful boycott, you have to really like nail in that bottom line. You really got to hurt the company financially if you want to make them at least start listening to you, if not actually enact the change that you're looking for. And you know, in times past, essentially pre social media era, that was the one measure of boycotts, that is how you got a company to respond. You started really affecting either their sales or their stock price, and more and more often than not their stock price. Nowadays, because of social media, bad press can spread so fast and so far and so wide that just getting like negative press can actually make large corporations or organizations change their stance on something or make them drop their stance in total.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, that's a very good point. It's a little bit different ballgame these days. Should we take our break? Yeah, all right, we'll take a break. We'll be right back to as promised, talk about some of the most famous boycotts throughout history. All right, we're back in this promise. We're gonna take you on a little walk through the history of boycotts. And we got to start with Colonial because they were good at it. A lot of times they were boycotting an act that was passed by the British that they did not like. Over here in the New Colonies. They had some pretty wicked branding with slogans like no taxation without representation. They were pretty good at that kind of thing. And the first one we're going to talk about is seventeen sixty five. I know we've talked about, you know, all these kind of here and there in the life of the show. But the Stamp Act was passed in sixty five, which was a tax on paper goods and documents and things like that, and the merchants in Boston and New York said, nope, we're going to sign a non importation agreement and we're not going to import goods from England anymore. And it worked about a year later, Parliament repealed the Stamp Act.
Speaker 2: Yeah, first boycott and the we should say the American colonies. It could see our Australian and New Zealand listeners. Good, I don't remember any of this, what you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lots of colonies.
Speaker 2: This happened in the American colonies, right, that's right. Shortly after that, so Parliament's trying to pay for the Seven Years War, the French Indian Wars, what the American colonists called it. So they were then now directly taxing the American colonies, and they followed up with the Stamp Act with the Townsend Revenue Act in seventeen sixty seven. It taxed a bunch of different stuff. The colonists organized a bunch of protests and boycotts again, and Parliament responded and they repealed the Townsend Act three years later, but they kept one part of it. They kept a tax on tea. Everyone loved tea in the American colonies, as I'm sure in Australia and New Zealand too at the time. So it was a big deal to have this big tax on tea. And so the American colonists said, well, we're not going to drink British tea, and in Parliament said oh, yeah, well get this. We're going to give the East India Company basically free reign on selling below costs for tea, so that even with this tax, it's going to cost you less for tea than buying this smuggled illegal tea that normally is cheaper with the tax.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So some merchants were like, well, it sounds kind of good to me. I can make more money. And the people here in the American colonies we call the patriots, the founding fathers said nay to that, and that actually led to the Boston Tea Party.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Sons of Liberty said no, thanks for get a demputee in the Hobba.
Speaker 2: Wow. I mean, you are killing it today all over the place.
Speaker 1: And that's what they did. In seventeen seventy four of the First Continental Congress passed a colony wide ban on all trade with Britain. And that was the beginning of what would become a war.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it worked then, it worked later And I mean they didn't have a name for this because this was before the County Mayo Boycott's and Charles Boycott. But they were like this unnamed thing that we're doing. It really kind of works, and so it inspired other groups that came along in America over the court. So the coming centuries, especially if you were part of a civil rights organization, boycotts proved very effective. They are really worthwhile to do because most of the time, if you're agitating for civil rights, you have a group of true believers who are willing to actually work at this. And one of the first groups fighting for civil rights in the United States were the Quakers Quaker abolitionists, and they formed something called the Free Produce Movement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was in the eighteen forties through the Civil War basically, and they boycotted goods made by enslaved people, cotton of course being one of the keys there. And as far as they were concerned, like, hey, if you're buying the stuff, you're supporting slavery. So the Free Produce Movement sort of tackled that. Another obvious example as far as civil rights go is the great Montgomery bus Boycott, which we covered in detail in our episode from February twenty eighteen. Rosa Parks colon Asient of Change, So you can go listen to that episode for the full rundown of the Montgomery bus boycott. But that was a couple of highlights for me was the fact that before Rosa Parks came along. I always want a chance to shout out fifteen year old Claudette Colvin who in March nineteen fifty five refused to move so a white passenger could take her seat. She was also yanked off the bus and arrested by the cops. But they would end up rallying around Rosa Parks instead about nine months later. And then the other thing I just wanted to highlight, and again you should listen to that episode because it's really in depth, but was that the black community rallied around each other in like a big way, Like black taxi drivers would charged the same fare as the bus fair would be. They had volunteers organizing carpools. They had shoe drives because people were walking so much, they were wearing their shoes out to get people in fresh shoes. And it's a really beautiful moment in American history.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was a real struggle for them because this is how black people in Montgomery largely got around was the bus. So to give that up was a big deal, and it was a successful boycott. It lasted three hundred and eighty two days until the Supreme Court ruled that segregation on buses was unconstitutional. If your boycott leads to a Supreme Court ruling that what you're fighting against is unconstitutional, that is a successful boycott, Yeah, for sure. And then one other thing about the Montgomery bus boycott is that it directly inspired another boycott a few years later that involved the United farm Workers grapegrowers or grape harvesters. I should say that was led by Caesar Chavez, and I mean one of the things that he did that also makes boycott successful that we talked about was educating the public. They created bumper stickers that said uvas, no, no grapes. They told people what was going on, and they got public support. That really helped these boycotts really helped put the pressure on the grape growers to give the grape harvesters better work and can nditions.
Speaker 1: Can we talk about apartheid?
Speaker 2: I think we should so.
Speaker 1: Apartheid was segregation in South Africa. It was their version of legal segregation of their people of the white minority and the black majority in South Africa, and it was around since nineteen forty eight through basically the mid nineties to when it finally dissolved, I think was like ninety four. And the repeal of apartheid is partially credited to international pressure, Boycott's sanctions, divestment and little Stevie van zandt Yeah, and little Stevie VanZant. We'll get to him in a sec But the nonviolent protests were a big part of it, led by the African National Congress. Nelson Mandela was one of the leaders in the ANC. So in nineteen fifty nine, A and C president Albert Luthuli said, Hey, great Britain, why don't you boycatt all South American produce, all South African produce the first time they kind of reached out Internet for help like that, and so South Africa said, you know what, we're outlawing the ANC and Nelson Mandela, you're going to jail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, for suggesting a boycott, not even staging a boycott, but suggesting one. The UN got involved in nineteen sixty two and they were like, hey, guys, this is not okay. We all or you guys need to start breaking ties with South Africa, And everybody said nuts to that. And it took a bunch of different sports organizations to finally get the public aware of it and hence getting governments involved in doing something about dismantling apartheid by turning their backs in South Africa. And the first sports organization to cut ties without South Africa in protests of its apartheid policies was the International Table Tennis Federation, who did so all the way back in nineteen fifty six.
Speaker 1: Pretty great. Yeah, I love that. In sixty four the IOC committee said no South African teams can participate in the Olympics. Yeah, and that was a band that lasted from sixty four to ninety two, so very long standing. There were boycott's in Britain when South African cricket and rugby teams which were there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there was a very famous Battle for Swansea, I think, where there was like a rugby protest that the cops and some hooligans started beating up and it just became a huge thing and made international news too.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean I remember all this stuff growing up in the eighties. It was all over the news. You couldn't like, you couldn't like go ten minutes without hearing the word apartheid or anti apartheid.
Speaker 2: I mean I knew the President of South Africa's name as like a ten year old, because what was it, fw de Clerk.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're like I knew it at ten. I don't know that.
Speaker 2: No, I'm almost positive that.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was, I remember to Clerk.
Speaker 2: Yet I learned about it from Mad magazine.
Speaker 1: Of course, the eighties is also when you got college kids involved in that. You know, if you want to get college kids on your side, that's a pretty smart thing to do, because they got nothing else to do, take like a couple of classes a day maybe, And so they got together, started their activism on campus, and more than one hundred and fifty US colleges divested from South Africa, so they withdrew investments in South African companies as institutions as a whole. That was a un cultural boycott, and part of that ended up being something and started in eighty five called the Artist United Against Apartheid, founded by Little Stephen van Zant of the EA Street Band and a producer named Arthur Baker, who organized a song sun City and an album sun City because sun City was a luxury resort in Casino in South Africa that had a lot of big time concerts, and the song basically was I Ain't going to play sun City and it was a you know, it was sort of on the heels of We Are the World, but this one was different because they you know, there were certainly black artists on We Are the World, but not rap and hip hop, and Sun City had Bono of course, and Bob Dylan and Ringo and Bruce of course, Pat Benatar, George Clinton, Joey Ramon in a very weird appearance, Hall and Oates, but not together. They were very much separated.
Speaker 2: It is so sad to me.
Speaker 1: Lou Reid also had a very funny appearance Bonnie Rate. But you also had run DMC and Cool Mode, the Fat Boys, DJ Cool Hirk, Grandmaster, Melly Mel, Jimmy Cliff was in there. So it really blended genres in a way that We Are the World did not, and it was a pretty good song. I think it is very eighties.
Speaker 2: It's definitely worth seeing the video for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty cool. I think they ended up raising like a million bucks, so not a lot of money, but awareness is probably one of the biggest things because a lot of artists would not play sun City, but artists did very famously. There's a list the Beach Boys did, Share, did Linda Ronstadt, did Sinatra? Did e Liza Minelli, Rod Stewart very disappointingly, Elton John Queen and Dolly Parton call played sun City.
Speaker 2: And Dolly oh. You know, so it was fairly heartbreaking to read that, Yeah, because this wasn't like a oh I hadn't heard kind of thing. This was like, I don't care enough, I'm going to go to Sun City. They're paying me a bunch of money to go to this one concert date that I could easily cancel, you.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, agreed. Supposedly, I'm not even going to say in their defense because I don't really know what they were thinking, But supposedly they were told by the people at sun City, like, hey, there's an exception for us, and we can actually have a segregated audience, so like you should come play. So I don't know if that's the guys they did in under or not. That's the list.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So yeah, so this is a big deal. Like sports entertainment, that's a really good way to get your boycott spread far and wide, because that's what the average person is paying attention to more than like the news or foreign policy. They're like, wait a minute, why is cool Mode not going to South Africa? I should probably look into that. And so when you get people into it, things actually happen. Right there was the US Congress passed the Comprehensive Anti Aparthepe Act, and it was one of the more putative sanctions packages the America has ever dealt against any country. And Ronald Reagan even vetoed it and Congress overrode his veto. Was the first time in thirteen years that Congress had overridden a presidential veto, and they said, no, this is getting passed, and so it did get passed. And you know, you might be like, wow, that was brave and assertive of Congress. They must really have cared about dismantling apartheid, and I'm sure some of them did. But I think what it says more than anything is just how far and wide America was anti apartheid by this time. That Congress is like, we're going to override a presidential veto of the most popular president America's had in recent history, because all of our constituents.
Speaker 1: Are like, go do that, yeah, because they read about cool mode. Yeah, they wouldn't have it, yep. Yeah. And you know a lot of time, when the US does something, the world follows back then at least, and once the US put their sanctions in place, other countries came aboard in Europe and Asia, and a lot of economic pressure was put on South Africa and Mandela was Eventually the Berlin Wall fell in eighty nine, which basically said South Africa is not like a protection against communism in Africa, now, no need for that. Mandela was freed ninety and then over the next four years it was kind of little by little dismantled. I think finally ninety four it was when it was officially over.
Speaker 2: So that was successful, ful, I would say, for sure. There was another one that was pretty successful that was much more recent. Back in twenty sixteen, in North Carolina, they passed the Public Facilities, Privacy and Security Act, much more well known as the Bathroom Bill, which basically said that in North Carolina, you have to use a public restroom for the sex that you were assigned at birth. So essentially it's like trans people, you can't use public restrooms that you identify with. People call it mean spirited, evil it was anti trains, It was an attack on a group of people, and it really it kind of took off. It became one of the first really viral boycotts on social media back in twenty sixteen. It had a huge effect.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this was one where hitting in the wallet was a big deal because corporations got involved. PayPal cancel plans to build an office in Charlotte. You know, entertainers got involved. The course, Springsteen as always the Boss wouldn't play in sun City or Greensboro.
Speaker 2: Ain't gonna played Greensboro.
Speaker 1: And then of course a lot of other bands said what the Boss does we follow movie studios pulled out, which hit them in the financial pocketbook. Of course, said we're not going to shoot there. Sports again gets involved. The NCAA moved several different college championships out in North Carolina. The NBA threat to pull the All Star Weekend out of Charlotte.
Speaker 2: They followed two They moved it to New Orleans that year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so all this told cost of the state of North Carolina three point seven six billion dollars in the year that that bill was around. They repealed it in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: Man, that's crazy that's a lot of money to lose in just a year.
Speaker 1: Chuck, And that's why it was effective.
Speaker 2: So you want to take a break and come back and talk about whether social media boycotts are effective, let's do it. Okay. So we're back, and we have entered a brand new age of boycotts. Thanks to social media. It is really easy to start a boycott, for a boycott to go viral, and then for the news to report on boycott's and how they did. It's almost it's like a spectator sport to a certain extent. Oh, here's this new boycott how to do? Two months on, I saw an article on Newsweek and the title was, here are the corporations being boycotted in June. It's just become that like pedestrian.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, we should read this one stat there's one study that found that fifty four percent of top brands more than half have been boycotted, huh, and forty two percent of multinational corporations. And we're not saying like poor multinational corporations, but just sort of driving home the point like you were saying that. I mean, you said, you know, two months later, we'll see how it's doing. Two months later, people might be like, oh, are we boycotting that still?
Speaker 2: I thought that was done. I thought we'd moved on, which is kind.
Speaker 1: Of the one of the problems with the social media boycotts.
Speaker 2: It is because with social media, I mean by definition, it's your attention span is just careening from place to place constantly. It's really hard to stop and focus. And that's a big thing that boycotts require, his focus, dedication, organization growth. When you know two, yeah, when three quarters of the people who are boycotting with you the first week moved on to something else, your boycott's hurting, right. But that is not to say that boycotts starting on social media aren't effective. And there's a couple in very recent memory that you can use to show how what's effective and what isn't effective, because that's what people like to do with boycotts these days. Talk about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And we should also point out that you're going to hear another word in describing these things. It's a word bycott, and that is the counter to boycott. When because most of these are or political in nature, obviously hot button issues and evenly sort of divided because the United States is pretty much evenly divided at the point politically down.
Speaker 2: To a guiding Eugene who votes twice for one freach party, just to be fair. That's how divided America is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So when there is a boycott, there is also generally a bycot when the other part of the country says, oh, yeah, well I'm going to buy that thing because you don't want to buy that thing, because we like what they're saying. So, Goya is a very popular Hispanic food brand here in the US. Great black beans. I love this Goya black beans, Goya, that's right. In twenty twenty, it was big news when the CEO of Goya attended an event at the White House and was praising Donald Trump, and a lot of people got upset about that, and Democratic Representative Alexandria Acasio Cartes said, hey, we need a boycott Goya. And it turns out that that didn't work so well because it didn't hit enough of those things that you need to do to have a successful.
Speaker 2: Boycott, and also because AOC is a bycot magnet for sure. So there were a couple of things. So there was a The boycott sparked a bycot among conservatives because in the United States. For those of you who don't live here, when you choose a side on a boycott, you're defending your political beliefs. That's just how they work here. I'm not sure if it's like that the rest of the world around, but that is definitely how they work here. And the reasons that Goya wasn't successful as a buy or as a boycott was because there are a lot of people Latin Hispanic households who did not have a dog in that fight, who did not choose sides, who were not like, what are you talking about? We buy Goya products, like this doesn't make any sense. And then a lot of those households also are conservatives too, so they probably would have bought Goya products had they not been buying them already, just to show their support.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the bycot that it triggered, apparently Goya got a twenty two percent bump in sales because of that bycot, but it did not last long because, like you said, a lot of those people who were like, yeah, I'm gonna start buying Goya stuff because this guy praised Donald Trump, they weren't Goya customers before. So maybe sometimes you get someone from a bycot that's like, hey, these black beans are dynamite. That that's my brand from now on. But in this case, it was a quick bump in sales and then they were like nope, back to old l Paso and those sales kind of leveled out.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's actually on the if you flip flop the political spectrum. The same thing happened to Nike not too many years ago when they supported Colin Kaepernick while he was taking a knee during the national anthem, and there was a huge backlash on social media against Nike for supporting him. Their people were burning their Nikes and making videos of it, posting it on social media. But it spurred a bycot to support Nike, and Nike made out like bandits for that. They had what analysts suspect was an additional six billion dollars in sale in a handful of weeks following the boycott. The call for the boycott, the buycot gave them that much extra money. The support came out for them like that.
Speaker 1: That's right. Then the NFL got back at Colin Kapernick by essentially blackballing him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we should probably mention.
Speaker 1: Bud Light because we mentioned it earlier. That was another very recent one. In twenty twenty three, transgender influencer Dylan mulvaney had a TikTok video announcing a contest sponsored by bud Light, and in that video had the nerve to show a can of bud Light that the company center with an image of her face on it. And that was it. The conservative right got up in arms and they said bud Light is dead to us, Go woke, go broke. And in the three months following that post bud Light sales went down twenty eight percent compared to the same period in prior years, and the damage was worse in Republican leaning districts I think thirty two percent compared to twenty two percent in Democrat districts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but ultimately overall, eight months after the initial boycott they were down thirty two percent overall in sales.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I mean it was a successful boycott by all accounts.
Speaker 2: Man, they went berserk about that. It was a big deal here in the US, that bud Light. So just to be clear, they sent Dylan mulvaney one can with Dylan Mulvaney's face on it. This was not for sale or anything like that, but that was all it took. And yeah, bud Light just took a beating. They were the number one selling beer. I don't even think just light beer, I think beer in the United States. And they dropped down. They dropped down to third in just a few weeks. Right. The reason why, there are a few reasons why substitutability. You could easily just switch to Corslight Miller's Light, and your tastebuds would have no idea that you'd switched. But apparently a lot of people switched to MODELO Especial, which we'll get to in a second. And then also, and this explains why bud Light did this, because in retrospect, you're like, that was one of the more tone deaf things that a brand has ever done. But it turns out bud Light's customer base is pretty evenly divided along the political spectrum. So I think they just thought like they were doing what they do and we're clearly not expecting that kind of backlash. Companies in that situation are much more vulnerable to a backlash when they take any kind of political stance or social stance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like when it's a pretty even split on who likes your product, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I mean if it were all like if bud Light's entire customer base were LGBTQ, they put if they had Dylan mulvany be like a brand ambassador, it would not matter at all. But because half of their people probably have unflattering views on trans people, yes, it really put a herding on them. And then the last one was observability is what they call it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sometimes you consume a product in private, like the black beans you're eating.
Speaker 2: Right out of the can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're not just walking around eating a can of black beans in public. But other stuff, you know, it's a little more visible and like you know, tailgating and being out in public with a beer, being in a bar with a beer, it's a much more public product that you're consuming. And researchers found that even if you were liberal and you were a beer drinker, you might have avoided drinking bud Light in public just because of the controversy over it.
Speaker 2: One of the big there's an ironic twist I guess to this whole thing. I said that MODELO Especial became I think the number one selling beer after bud Light dropped off in the couple weeks after the boycott started against bud Light, Modello's sales went up thirty six million dollars more than bud light sales.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Modello is like, this is great. The thing is is Modello and bud Light are both owned and distributed by the same companies, So it was like robbing Peter to pay Paul, or a Twitter user put it. I think I found this on Vox maybe in an article by Stephanie grob Plante. It was like boycotting the Big Mac by eating a quarter pounder instead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's kind of what I was talking about earlier with just I think boycotts are just not thought through as much these days because I don't know, there's so many mega companies that own all these smaller things. You really got to do your homework to figure out, like, wait a minute, I can't switch to this thing because they're also owned by that thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think though that one's not the most slammed dunk ironic twist there is, because I think even if they knew that it was the same general company Anheuser Busch, the iyer was directed at bud Light. They wanted to punish bud Light the brand specifically.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they were definitely successful with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Good point.
Speaker 2: So, Chuck, there's a couple of things. I think we should wrap it up by talking about, like whether these things are worth doing, whether companies should take a social stance. Let's do that, shall we?
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, first of all, we mentioned earlier that it doesn't necessarily have to be the big financial hit to cause the problem these days, just the bad press and then a negative press can hurt a company's reputation. That could potentially hurt a stock price, but I mean, really, the only thing that's going to damage the stock price or bad sales. So at the end of the day, it kind of is money. They can probably withstand bad press, but they don't love it.
Speaker 2: No, But if you can turn the markets on the company, that's a big deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure. As far as whether people think companies should get involved with this, it depends on who you asked. There was a survey I think from twenty seventeen, is that right, Mm hmm, yeah, not too long ago. It's found that ninety percent of American consumers expect companies to take an active role in addressing social concerns. There was a different survey that found that sixty three percent of millennials and sixty percent of gen xers I think companies have a more important role than governments do in driving social change. So those are pretty disparate numbers.
Speaker 2: Right, And people who advise companies, like there's an entire industry on advising companies on stuff like this. They say it comes down to the company culture. Do you stand for things? Is are you the kind of company that would ever stand for anything? Or are you just trying to sell duck boots? You know, you have to ask yourself these kind of things. Do you want to change to be a different kind of company? Who knows. But one of the things that they find is that it is often worse to take a stand and then change your stance than to take your stance at all, like Target's wishy washy stance on DEI policies, right or Apparently Another big one is companies will celebrate Pride Month in a country that's that where Pride Month is much more acceptable, they and then just not celebrate it in other countries where there is Pride Month but it's not quite as accepted as it is in the other countries. So having like a wishy washy stance on stuff that can really damage your company's image because if you basically are telling the world like, we don't really actually have any values, we don't really care about anything social, We're just trying to make money here. So even if you are a company that chooses to take a stance, you really need to stick with it and just stick with it did or else just don't do it at all, but don't make it take a stand and then backpedal.
Speaker 1: Josh's advice to Corporate America, right.
Speaker 2: And then on the other side, if you're just an everyday person and you want to take part in a boycott. I think one of the issues, Chuck, that we kind of were hinting around throughout this episode is that a problem is that you can become complacent like you're doing enough by you know, liking a tweet and then not buying Kellogg's cereal for a week, and at the end of the day you feel like you're doing your part when you're really not doing much and there's a lot more work to be done. That's kind of a big danger of it, for sure.
Speaker 1: I got to tell you, rand I'm very relieved because a few minutes ago, I thought you were about to say something about ll Bean. Nope, when you mentioned duck boots, I was like, oh no, don't tell me. I got to get rid of my duck boots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got mine too, And luckily there are other brands that make duck boots, but not like llll Beans. No, though, sure, I've got some Sperry's that are pretty good. Oh yeah, okay, I like Sperry's, So there you go. And then lastly, Chuck, I actually corresponded with a professor at Melbourne Business School in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia about something. Yeah, and I did that with Jill Klein. I found an article called why we Boycott Consumer Motivations for boycott participation and it's from all the way back in two thousand and four. But I asked her, like, okay, is this does this still apply? And she said yes, because these four motivators that the study turned up were based on basic psychological processes that are unlikely to change in twenty years. That's what she said, right, So they found four motivators that are that are the better predictors of whether somebody takes part in a boycott. Do you want to hear them or should we just end the episode here? Hey, it's up to you, Bun, I'll go forward with them. One is egregiousness, That is how badly a company behaved or how bad the thing that the come any who supporting is efficacy, So the person's judgment on whether the boycott's going to make any difference whatsoever self enhancement is one. Is it going to make them look good? Is it going to make them feel good about themselves for doing it? And then estimated participation of others. So the more people you have joining in, the more the person is likely to join in, which I call the cool mode effect.
Speaker 1: It's a good thing I got here because I know for a fact she rolled that up, put it in a bottle, corked it and threw it in the ocean.
Speaker 2: I couldn't believe how fast that current carried it here in like twelve hours.
Speaker 1: Pretty impressive, Pretty impressive.
Speaker 2: So thanks a lot doctor Jill Klein of Melbourne Business School and her co author Andrew John, who also weighed in on the email.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: Thanks to everybody who helped us out with this, including Dave, and thank you for listening to this episode, and since I just thanked everybody, it's time for listener mail.
Speaker 1: This is from a guy and Athens and this is about our styrofoam. Hey guys, longtime listener. I run a business over near Athens where we Athens Storture. That is where we recycle ninety to ninety five percent of our waist. We're primarily a candle company, but also have a quaint retail store in downtown Monroe Nice where we make our own products. When I started the business, I wanted ethical sourcing, sustainability, and health to be our pillars of guidance. We source all all of our materials from sustainable or recycled sources. But we also have a huge recycling program where customers can bring back their cleaned out old containers to be exchanged for discounts on new products.
Speaker 2: That's awesome because those things are hard to clean out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally. So he's been going to Charm, they have one in Athens, because we mentioned Charm, the great recycling center for hard to recycle materials here in Atlanta that Emily is dedicated to. And they've been going to Charm four years. And he said, since I know the industry lacks some transparency. I've decided to ask one of the folks what they do with low density plastic and styrofoam that I drop off since I heard those things typically have a low conversion rate into new material. And to your pondering question from the episode about styroboam, the rep told me they sell it to a company that actually turns it into synthetic decking material, which I thought was pretty neat.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that, and thanks for all you do and for being a good model of healthy friendship. Hey, hey, how about that.
Speaker 2: What a great way to put it.
Speaker 1: And that is for Matt at the Rekindle Candle Company, and you can just look online. This sounds like great stuff with a great core mission. So just check out the Rekindle Candle Company online for Math and S Georgia and buy their stuff.
Speaker 2: That name is adorable, Matt, I love it. Yeah, thanks a lot for the email, Thanks a lot for what you're doing up there. I'm going to go check out Rekindle Candle Company either online or on person who knows And if you want to be like Matt and send us a great email, you can do. So wrap it up, spank it on the bottom and send it off to stuff podcast at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple pod tests, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.