Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: Good morning, I'm Nathan Hager and.
Speaker 1: I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 2: Karen, we begin with a presidential race reshaped after the assassination attempt on Donald Trump. The former president was shot during a rally in Butler, Pennsylvania, on Saturday, days before he accepts the nomination at the Republican National Convention this week in Milwaukee, and now President Biden has used a rare Oval office address to say this kind of violence cannot be normalized.
Speaker 3: A former president was shot, an American citizen killed while simply exercising his freedom to support the candidate of his tuosing, we cannot, we must not go down this road in America. We've traveled before throughout our history. Violence has never been the answer.
Speaker 2: President Biden says Americans must resolve their differences at the ballot box, not with bullets, and he says he'll continue to draw a contrast between his vision for the country and former President Trump's. The Biden campaign has paused TV ads and canceled some events planned for today, but the president still plans to sit for an interview with NBC's Lester Holt tonight, and he'll also address black and Latino groups in Las Vegas tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 1: Nathan Donald Trump says he has rewritten his Republican National Convention speech to call for unity instead of focusing on President Biden after he survived an assassination attempt. In an interview with the conservative publication The Washington Examiner, Trump said, quote, it is a chance to bring the country together. I was given that chance.
Speaker 5: Mean Karen.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg News has also learned Trump called Nicki Haley his one time rival in the twenty twenty four race, and asked her to attend the convention Milwaukee. We get more from Bloomberg Senior writer Stephanie Baker.
Speaker 4: Does the convention and in some ways become more about policy rather than attacking the Democrats. You know, I think that remains to be seen. How you know what the tone of that is. Already they've invited Nikki Haley, she was not invited before the assassination attempt, and she is expected to double down on this message of unity. So I think already it's changed the tone of what looks like a very important Republican National Convention.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg Senior writer Stephanie Baker says Haley is slated to speak tomorrow well Nathan.
Speaker 1: The shooting is placed the Secret Service under harsh scrutiny. Trump allies have blasted the agency over its protection of the former president. The FBI is leading her probe into the events, which Director Christopher Ray says will be thorough.
Speaker 6: We have committed the full force of the FBI to this investigation. An attempt to assassinate a presidential candidate can only be described as absolutely despicable and will not be tolerated in this country.
Speaker 1: FBI Director Christopher Ray. Now the Secret Service will turn its attention to the Republican National Convention. The agency in cisro Bus. Security plans are in place in coordination with local, state, and federal law enforcement ahead of the arrival of over fifty thousand expected attendees in Milwaukee.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, back in Pennsylvania, Karen investigators are hunting for any clues into what may have driven the suspect to try to assassinate Donald Trump. The shooter, who was taken out by Secret Service at the scene, has been identified as twenty year old Thomas Matthew Crooks. Kevin Rojack is the FBI special Agent in charge of the Pittsburgh Bureau.
Speaker 7: At this time, the information that we have indicates that the shooter acted alone. At present, we have not identified an ideology associated with the subject.
Speaker 2: Special Agent in charge Kevin Rojack says technical specialists are coming through all digital evidence, including Crooks's social media accounts. The FBI says he had bomb making materials in the car he brought to the rally, but his political leanings are not immediately clear. Records show Crooks was registered as a Republican voter in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: Well, Nathan, we are seeing a market reaction to the assassination attempt. The dollar now little change, treasuries falling as investors increase bets Trump will win the election. The moves reflect beliefs Trump will usher and looser fiscal policy and higher tariffs, which are generally viewed as likely to benefit the dollar, and weekend treasuries and shares of Trump's media company soaring in the pre market. Trump Media and Technology shares are currently up sixty one percent.
Speaker 2: As for other equities, Karen, the focus is going to be back on bank earnings. They continue this morning with Goldman Sachs reporting Alison Williams is a senior analyst at Bloomberg Intelligence.
Speaker 8: We are expecting to see some strong trading and fee revenue from Goldman Sachs this morning, and really the bar is even higher after some of the results that we saw on Friday, JP Morgan, who is the leader in trading and investment banking fees, reporting a gain of almost twenty percent. Really strong equities and strength and fees across M and A equity and debt underwriting. We expect these same sources of revenue are going to power Goldman Sacks and importantly, we'll be watching the market share for Goldman. The other benefit to Goldman is that they took a lot of impairment costs on their commercial real estate last year, so we feel like that has been cleaned up a bit and we're expecting to see a much cleaner result this quarter.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg Intelligence senior Analystallis and Williams says. Goldman's report this morning will be followed by Morgan, Stanley and Bank of America tomorrow.
Speaker 1: And it's time now for a look at some of the other stories making news in New York and around the world, and for that we're joined by Bloomberg's Michael Barr, Michael, good morning.
Speaker 5: Good morning, Karen. New Yorkers are reacting to the weekend attempt to assassinate former President Trump. The NYPD has increased presence in front of Trump Tower on Fifth Avenue. New York Mayor Eric Adams spoke at a news conference.
Speaker 9: What happens when a twenty year old reaches a point? Would they believe the only way to settle their political differences and disputes is to use a AR fifteen or AK forty seven or any other form of handgun or weapon that says a terrible message.
Speaker 5: Meanwhile, New York Republican lawmakers condemned President Biden and rhetoric from Democrats for the shooting. New York State Senator Andrew Lanza.
Speaker 2: When you convince people that someone is evil, there's going to be some maniac who wants to rid the world of evil.
Speaker 5: Audio courtesy of ABC seven. Supporters of former President Trump gathered in front of Trump Tower, many wearing red Make America Great Again caps and draped in the American flag. The NYPD has increased security in front of Trump Tower. This was a grim weekend as we've lost several celebrities. Beverly Hill's nine oh two to one zero star Shennan Doherty has died. Doherty, who lost your battle with breast cancer, was fifty three. James Siking of Hill Street Blues has died. His publicist says that Sicking died of complications from dementia at age ninety. Fitness guru Richard Simmons has died. His publicist says Simmons died to day after his seventy six birthday. And people are remembering the life and legacy of doctor Ruth, the sex therapist and talk show host whose methods discussing intimacy made of a pioneer. Doctor Ruth Wesheimer passed away in her New York City home over the weekend at the age of ninety six. According to new data from the World Health Organization and UNISEF, there has been some progress, but challenges achieving global immunization coverage remain. According to the WHO, assessing vaccination data from over one hundred ninety countries annually, things in twenty twenty three were pretty much the same as twenty twenty two. Doctor Fraim Lemongo, chief of Immunization at UNISEF, says they are still having areas of conflict in the world that are not recovering well, like.
Speaker 10: In Sudan, the continued fragility in Yemen.
Speaker 9: In Afghanistan, he's still continuing to affect children.
Speaker 5: About twenty one million children globally are still missing one or more vaccines. Global News twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with the Bloomberg News. Now, I'm Michael Barr, and this is Bloomberg came all.
Speaker 1: Right, Michael Barr, thank you. It's time now for the Bloomberg Scores Update with John Stashawer. John, good morning.
Speaker 11: Hey, he's a late morning start in Baltimortning.
Speaker 10: When the rookie Ben Rice did a three run home at nineteen, let the Yanks would get a serious sweep and hit the All Star break in first place. Bottom of night, the Orioles loaded the bases off Clay Home Stield. The game should have ended with a routine ground ball and Anthony Volpi he bobbled it.
Speaker 11: The Yanks were still up a run with two help. We'll Claire out to left field. Starry. It is for gouging out to go back. He had to go back and he ducks it.
Speaker 1: Let us over his head and the oil slide is going in.
Speaker 11: Oh heard his in Richmond is in. But it is your hero Curials walking off.
Speaker 1: Six to five.
Speaker 10: Bal Holmes now headed Tomorrow's All Star Game in Texas spite a one to four record in the league, leading six blown saves. The Mets five game wins streak end in Colorado hit six home runs at City Field, three by Michael Tolio. The Rockies won eight to five. Phillies have the major's best record the break.
Speaker 11: They just lost to Oakland eighteen to three. The Eight's hit eight home runs, their most in twenty five years. Lawrence Butler hit three.
Speaker 10: Started the MLB draft, Cleveland's got the best record in the American League, had the first pick, having won the lottery despite having only two percent chance, and the Guardians took Travis Pazanna from Oregon State, first time ever a second baseman drafted first overall.
Speaker 11: Big Sports Day in Spain.
Speaker 10: First it was Carlos Alcarez winning Wimbledon for the second straight year, beat Novak Djokobit to the final both times, this one in straight sets.
Speaker 11: Alcarez is the sixth of.
Speaker 10: The Open era to win the French and Wimbled in the same year, and then Spain won the euro Soccer title for the fourth time, late goal to top England to the one key in the UK winless and major tournaments since it won the World Cup back in nineteen sixty six. The Copa America final was in Miami, wild scene before the game, many fans stormed in without tickets. That was a delay and then no goals until the one hundred and twelve minute Argentina.
Speaker 11: Scored an extra time to get by Columbia one nil. Jumps dash that wear Bloomberg Sports Karna.
Speaker 5: Coast to Coast on Bloomberg Radio, nationwide on Sirius XM, and around the world on Bloomberg dot Com and the Bloomberg Business app. This is Bloomberg Daybreak.
Speaker 11: Good Morning, got Nathan Hager.
Speaker 2: After the assassination attempt on former President Donald Trump, President Biden is looking to rise above the fray or.
Speaker 3: We may disagree. We are not enemies. We're neighbors. We're friends, co workers, citizens, and most importantly, we are fellow Americans. We must stand together.
Speaker 2: President took to the Oval Office with that message of unity last night, looking to revive his campaign against your Republican Party, now rallying firmly behind, it's now a wounded leader Donald Trump. For more, we were joined by Bloomberg's Kevin whitelaw veteran of Washington political coverage. Kevin, good morning. This is such a different moment in American politics. What stands out to you forty eight hours after the attempt on former President Trump's life.
Speaker 12: Well, obviously it has rewritten the race once again. But this is, of course a race. It's being rewritten almost every week in one way or another, so it's going to be a little while before we really understand the overall impact. I think that the violence was obviously shocking to everybody who watched that moment happen. In Trump's instincts for showmanship served him better than ever, you know, with his defiant fist pump and sort of that iconic photo that you're going to see over and over and over. I think the larger question going forward is obviously they both have to shift their tactics a little bit in the wake of this, and that's going to potentially constrain Joe Biden's ability to to sharpen and wield a tax on Trump. But obviously Trump is also going to have to decide if he wants to try to sort of keep a more a message of unity or continue this in the same sort of partisan, hyper partisan sort of attack mode that he seems most comfortable in.
Speaker 2: You know, we put so much more focus now on the Republican National Convention getting underway this morning. We're also hearing reports that the former president, as you alluded to, is revamping his acceptance speech to appeal for unity, even inviting Nicky Hayley to speak at the RNC tomorrow. I guess the basic question, Kevin, is how long does this pivot, these calls for unity last. I mean, we've still got months till November.
Speaker 11: Well, that's just it.
Speaker 12: And we do know that that, you know, we know where Donald Trump's instincts usually take him. And you know, so thinking back to the convention speech he gave in particularly in twenty sixteen, but even in twenty twenty, they were pretty dark and alarmist speeches. He may well be able to pivot for a little bit, but it's a little hard to see him necessarily being able to maintain it for all the way till November. And I think in the same way for President Biden. You know that that ability to sort of sharpen the knife and go after Trump in a and term. You know, ultimately that's probably the only path that Biden has to reelection is turning out the anti Trump vote. That's harder in the short term, but you know, memories fade, and he may well be able to re engage, particularly if Trump gives him an opening down the line.
Speaker 2: You know, it's been interesting as well to see President Biden out in the public spotlight even more now. We were expecting that he was going to engage further with the public, just to beat back those concerns that they're still lingering in the Democratic Party I think about the president's age and his mental fitness. I mean, he's going to be giving an interview still with Lester Whole tonight.
Speaker 11: Is that a good move?
Speaker 2: Do you think to keep up this sort of counter programming in some way to the president or for the president?
Speaker 12: Well, essentially, he's got to find a way to stay in the spotlight, and he's got to find a way for it to not just be about the latest gaff or or senior moment, and so he's going to have to do it. But obviously suddenly, you know, the attention is less focused on him on some level that may be helpful in the short term, but he still has to find ways to demonstrate time and time again that he's got the strength and fortitude to be able to make it through the campaign and then a four year term. So that's going to be a long, long road for him. It's obviously only gotten harder in many ways, and we still will have to wrestle with over the next couple couple of weeks the continuing questions about whether or not he needs to be replaced on the ticket. And you know, Democrats may find that that's a purely attractive, even more attractive idea as they try to desperately figure out how to change the narrative after this assassination attempt, But it also could just leave Biden even more dug in on him being the best one place to beat Trump.
Speaker 2: So in our last thirty seconds, Kevin, what's the one thing you're going to be looking for most closely as attention turns to Milwaukee this week?
Speaker 12: Well, I do think it's going to be what Donald Trump's new tone is, should he adopt it, and how long does it last after the convention when the spotlight has slightly moved on.
Speaker 11: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Today, Your morning.
Speaker 2: Brief on the story's making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 1: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: You can also so listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time, on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh sixty one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: Plus listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, seriusxmb iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 11: I'm Nathan Hager and.
Speaker 1: I'm Karen Moscow. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak.