Speaker 1: Still the Place with Laura Layton, Courtney thorn Smith.
Speaker 2: And Daphnews and Niga and iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 3: All right, well here we are back for our episode two of the original Melrose Yay in a while, at least for the recap, at least for like doing this podcast.
Speaker 1: We had a little break because we did one episode and then YouTube jetted off.
Speaker 3: To Europe together to Italy.
Speaker 1: Or jet setting.
Speaker 2: You had a wedding.
Speaker 3: It wasn't my wedding. It was our daughter's wedding.
Speaker 1: Tell us a little bit about it.
Speaker 3: Oh, my gosh, it was amazing. It was a wedding in Italy and were beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 3: Our daughter lives in Europe and so she had her wedding there and people traveled from you know, lots of different places to be there. And it was beautiful. It was amazing.
Speaker 1: It was beautif. There was a lot of excitement before you left about finding address. Did you find it well dressed?
Speaker 3: I found a few dresses, you know, as you do, then you have to narrow it down. Yeah, it all worked out. It was It was just beautiful. It was perfect.
Speaker 1: Oh. You sent some pictures. They were so stunning. I'm so happy for all of you. Thank you were still a little cute to see Doug, to see you guys together. You're still jetling a little bit.
Speaker 2: Well, well, I thought was amazing and such a baller act was you landed and then like joined us on. We all did this press day, which I mean I had been back for a couple weeks I think, and I did the press day and I was exhausted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you.
Speaker 2: Came back and like and your luggage wasn't even here, and you like did twelve.
Speaker 3: Hours of press YEP, had a little bit of travel drama.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 3: It was really fun to come back and have the launch to celebrate, and so we went out and did our press day for the launch on the actual lunch.
Speaker 1: It was so much fun. And you know, I realized I don't have that muscle anymore. Like I looked at the schedule, I was like, twelve hour. I haven't done anything for twelve hours in May.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you're like, I can't go anywhere this month.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is that is a long time to be away from home. I had to get someone to watch my dogs. My dogs were like, what is happening? But it was really so much fun to hang out with you guys like, I'm so glad I got to do it with you. It felt so different to do it together. It made it so much more fun than like that thing alone where people are asking you questions, because we got to play together, which was really a joy.
Speaker 3: If you had done it alone, who would have been there to photograph you taking a little snooze on the couch?
Speaker 1: I know, how would we have? You were jetgged and I'm the one who fell at the couch.
Speaker 2: You're smart camera and Laura just looks at me in points.
Speaker 3: I'm like like this and I like got to take that picture she was.
Speaker 1: They put it on the group chat and I was like, why did you take this? They said you were cute. I'm like, whatever, you were cute?
Speaker 3: You were cute. You were like, I don't know, very graceful.
Speaker 1: I don't know how you kept it because when I'm jet lagged, it's just over, Like there's just a point in the day about noon, and it's over. And you kept going. And your daughter was there amazing in charge of social media because she's young and knows how to do it with Sophy, Laura and daf and he just kept handing her their phones with the thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everyone needs a Lucy Savant and just like here, help me with it.
Speaker 1: She was amazing. Yeah, yeah, she was amazing.
Speaker 3: She's awesome.
Speaker 1: She's Maybe it's such a time warp because we're watching these old shows and I'm watching you guys then, especially Doug as he was an episode two, and then I'm having these flashes of you guys now and the pictures you sent from the wedding. It's such a mind blower.
Speaker 3: Doesn't it seem like we'd kids in the show and now we're grown ups, Like we're watching the the children of ourselves.
Speaker 1: I don't feel as different as I should. I don't feel as different if I should.
Speaker 3: Like I don't feel any different like inside my body. But like I think, just what it seems like is like I am watching I'm still not in the episodes yet personally, but I'm looking at like the baby version of Doug. Yeah, the baby version of Allison. It's amazing, Courtney, Like it's so funny. But like now we're in the same room and going, oh, this is the adult version, but we get to watch this like.
Speaker 2: It's a cool thing about film though, because it feels like yesterday. Maybe, plus, you know, a couple of months. But to see you look so young, and.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's to say I look exactly the same, just for the exactly you were just.
Speaker 3: Perfect, like like.
Speaker 2: And it's totally with your hair and that little ponytail.
Speaker 1: We'll go through it. Yes, I'm excited because we talked to Tory Spelling and Jenny Garth yesterday and they said to become a fan of the show. And the pilot was hard for me to watch. I think it had such a visceral reaction. And last night I had a friend of when we were watching it, and I am I'm becoming a fan, Like there's enough distance, and I was so invested in the characters and I could see it from a little bit of a dis since they also had emotional reactions. But we will talk about that. As we get into episode two.
Speaker 3: Episode two, again we get to really see what's going to happen between Allison and Billy, and we find out let's see just a general synopsis of this episode called friend, Friends and Lovers. That's right, Season one, episode two, and this episode aired on July fifteenth, nineteen ninety two, while we were still on a Wednesday. While Moonlighting is a taxi driver, Billy picks up Marcy, a lively dental student who practically moves in, causing chaos and jealousy.
Speaker 1: From Furious About It to this day.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, in a crossover from Beverly Hills Night Out to and Oh, Kelly's crush on Jake intensifies, and so we'll see him getting really mad at a couple points in the episode, and after Jake's arrest following a brawl, Kelly bills him out but remains undeterred by his checkered past. Jane and Michael get into, you know, their relationship already struggling episode two, and they're already sort of not great. So anyway, we had a couple of cool guest stars.
Speaker 2: Doctor Ruth, Doctor Ruth. Amazing.
Speaker 1: We'll get there.
Speaker 3: That's that was totally amazing, all right, So like, should we just start on where let's.
Speaker 1: Get all right?
Speaker 3: The episode begins with Alison and Billy in the morning, starting their day in the apartment, and Ali says the coffee. Alison says that the coffee is too strong and that she doesn't want Billy reading the paper before she does. She has all these rules, but he's looking at the classifies Alison says she wishes she had someone to talk to, and Billy says, well, what am I chopliver but so cute, yeah.
Speaker 1: So adorable. So we go right into Jake's apartment. He has issues with the water. And it's so funny because you said Jake was mad.
Speaker 3: Super mad, so mad?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so mad? Ye who he was so mad about the water? Startling shirtless? We started off shirtless well place, yes, yes, well.
Speaker 2: Place counted two minutes fifty five seconds until we get to see grants like the time sirtless and all dripping wet.
Speaker 1: I might add he I'm so mad, and was struck about that scene when he goes over to Thomas and Michael. I know, I want to say, Thomas, Michaels, Michael and James Janes apartment, Thomas and Josie that Michael's so calm and like together and tried to talk him down and he's mad and I'm flashing till later when the tables turn. But he was so mad about the water. Tensions were a little hot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he needed a hot shower that day. He was not getting it, and boy, that just sent him.
Speaker 2: I don't know if we're supposed to like notice the details, but like that was one of my favorite lines when he was like whenever someone else goes hot, I go cold, you know.
Speaker 1: And I just love like full of lines like that, like at the Very Good and that's the beginning when nobody would fight them. We were just like say the things as written and just nobody would say, can I ask you about it?
Speaker 3: Get a little smoother? Yeah, But there's where Jake is now telling Michael that he has a bad attitude, which I can't really argue with. I think Michael was always a little bit a little smug about it, Like yeah, I think so, But let's see where that takes us. So Randa and Allison are leaving for work and Jake runs into Sandy and tells him he's headed for the unemployment line, but she says, hey, stop by shooters later, maybe we can have a beer.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: I have to say that scene. I think that was where I'm going to just jump ahead. The best worst hair might have been Amy like Locane's hair in that scene. Do you remember it was a little boofonti and that struck out. That struck me as like.
Speaker 1: Oh well that's yeah, that high the Southern Star.
Speaker 3: And trust me, I should not. I mean, I'm not throwing stones because I have some really impressive hair coming out, but I'm just it was a sort of a sign at.
Speaker 1: The times exactly I was looking at that's a lot of hairspray, That's what I remember. I was like, curl, Wow, that's a lot. Well I had I don't know if I mentioned the last one, but I had had dark, dark hair and we were trying to get back to blonde and the best we could get was a sort of strawberry blonde. So I'm not even at my natural hair color. I've got this weird sort of level hair color. So right, you said that it was a very right and that low ponytail, which I remember it was very Did you like the low ponytail? I did? It was an actual hairstyle from my actual life. I hope I used less hairspray in my actual life, but I did have that. So then, so then Michael and Jane's apartment, and I do you remember I remembered them talking about this at the time, that she was always trying to get his attention, and you know, she's insanely gorgeous, right, and then she's constantly trying to get his attention, and you're like, are you blinded? Well, the same way when Alison was being rude to Billy, like is everybody on the show blind? Do you not see these people? Are like, she's so sweet, But there is a payoff of this at the end that we'll get to at the end. That really sort of got me in my heart that yeah, so this actually does pay off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, she wants she wants to hear about you know what he remembers about them falling in love and he has nothing. I got nothing.
Speaker 2: But wait, I just think that that's an interesting theme about when people fall in love because you know, and this is this is sort of very common, like someone has a moment, you know. I don't know if it's off in the woman or what, but for Jane, it was I just remember seeing you and I remember when you did this, and it's very specific. That's her idea of love and falling in love and his he didn't have that, and that creates the drama and the conflict. But people are like that, like, you know, think of our own partners or over the years, like they just remember just this feeling of safety maybe or they just remember like being nervous or excited. It's not a moment. It doesn't make it any less.
Speaker 3: And she's basically asked, can just tell me why you love me?
Speaker 2: And he can't come up with it. He's failing for him. And at this point in the at this point in the series, probably the last time I felt the way episode two.
Speaker 1: Then that's it. Yeah, it was really sweet and she played it so vulnerable. Yeah, yeah, it was really sweet.
Speaker 3: So from there we go to D and D and where Allison is seeing how the uh boss coworker person who took her to the event maybe not yeah, else did a work event accompanying him to the event. Yeah, And I thought it was very interesting that her co worker told her that somebody else already reported it and it's fine, he's dead. You don't you don't need to do anything. Like she was, she went in completely empowered to go stand up for herself and say something to him. And she said something to him, and then she was like, I'm going to, you know, make sure to take care of this. And then the coworker comes and says, don't worry. Somebody already ill, somebody else already took care of this, so you don't have to do anything, and.
Speaker 1: It was like way outside, Yeah, now you don't have to do anything. Yeah, well, an example of how it would be different today. Right, that would have been a main storyline. Now it's like done, moving on, let's just wrap that up on the romance, right, Yeah, it's so true. It just wasn't. We kind of touched on it. It wasn't the issue it is today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I just thought it was like wrapped up really kind of conveniently and just pushed away like, oh, have somebody else take care of it off camera, Like we don't actually have to see Alison going through with standing up for herself, So that was sort of interesting.
Speaker 1: It's so true.
Speaker 2: And we didn't see her get threatened by losing her job from the guy, which is what would have been was kind of all the narrative these days. Yeah, a woman can't speak up because there's a lot of stake, So it wasn't there that you know, worked for her very easily, about forty five seconds.
Speaker 1: Straight and moving on. Yah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and from there she there, somebody says, there's a cab for you, So did you suspect? Does Alison suspect?
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: There's a cab waiting.
Speaker 1: Outside for neither Alison nor I had any idea that was happening. Yea, there's the adorable Andrew.
Speaker 3: Because we find out that Billy is now driving a cab instead of being an Arthur Murray dance instructor with the mob.
Speaker 1: That was the cutest.
Speaker 2: I love his excitement about the cab. Isn't as cool? Yeah, Like, by the way, like I never see cabs in La but I love it. It was a yellow cab and Billy was so couldn't have been hitting around.
Speaker 1: Yes, he picks up Marcy. Yes, in the cab. And Jensen, who played Marcy Jensen Daggett is an actress I've run into like a hundred times. She's one of these people I run into all the time, and we remember that day. That's amazing cross paths a thousand times. Isn't that funny? That is amazing?
Speaker 3: But now wait, he doesn't pick her up until you until Billy and Allison have decided they're going to paint the apartment together, which is kind of an important thing.
Speaker 1: She's kind of vulnerable for Allison to say, do you want to paint the apartment? I mean, there's a spark in her eye because she's ready to think there could be something.
Speaker 3: So they made this plan together.
Speaker 1: Which I think Alison considers a date.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, who wouldn't want to consider that a date because we're.
Speaker 1: Thinking you paint each other and then you make out that's how it is in everything. Kept waiting for that to happen. There's the montage and then she comes home and so this made me laugh. I had to text you guys about this. We're not supposed to talk before they bed. To text you because because Billy and Marcy walk in and he reaches to the mantlepiece above the fireplace and takes a strawberry, which is apparently where we wait a minute, what is something ahead here?
Speaker 3: But I do have to tell you that what I brought today is a random fruit hole. As you do, you just have random fruit hools. Sometimes you put them on the mantles. But I've brought oh yeah, there's strawberries. Time it's random react the seed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like that so happened in the first episode where they would go the director wants it to be decided to put the fruit on the mantle. All the actors are like all right.
Speaker 2: Like no, I think a lot of time. It happens a lot of time that's happens because you're like, you know, it's like the blocking has to.
Speaker 1: Work with the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, lunch is coming, and you know we can't have you go in the kitchen and make out on the way to the Bedgum, No, it has to happen here. Okay, it's where do the strawberry? I don't know, are they on the coffee tail? We don't have a coffee table because the camera's there, so well, what about here? The prop guy goes here?
Speaker 1: We're like okay, yeah, but later on we would say that we can't. That's ridiculous, and if so, because he goes to the mantle. So it's so word to figure out, try to figure out what it is. What I thought. I thought it was real fruit.
Speaker 3: I thought he was offering her a fake, like a wooden strawberry.
Speaker 2: I was like, is that a little wooden ball like a decorative? What is that?
Speaker 3: He's he's playing a trick on her? Here to bite?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he gives her the strawberry and then they start kissing. And I had such a visceral reaction. Was so funny. I texted Andrew and I'm like, so I'm watching the scene thirty years ago. We're not even dating yet. We're at the time we weren't even dating. She's kissing him. I had this visceral get your hands off my man reaction als in my living room thirty years later, again not dating yet. I haven't dated for years. That's amazing, isn't that funny? I was like, oh my god, I'm having and my girlfriend, who was watching with me, is like, I'm furious too.
Speaker 3: Like we were both well, it was mad. We were all on behalf of all.
Speaker 2: We were all mad. I love like.
Speaker 1: Andrew, Like I'm furious about that. What did Andrew say, get over it? I don't. I can't remember what he said. No, no, you off your remember he remembered time too. Just oh, it's just funny. That's watch it. I'm dying to know what your reaction is because it takes me when I'm surprised about this. Was so much fun about doing this podcast. It took me right back, like I'm right back in that moment in those scenes in a way I didn't expect to be right.
Speaker 2: It's opposite for me because I haven't come on to the show yet and so I'm not seeing myself. I'm seeing it as this lens pulled like as the lens is pulled out, and I'm seeing the stories all sort of fit into each other, and like with the writer and director from up here, and I'm saying, oh, that fits so perfectly, you know that, the parallel stories about love and you and then Jane, and I'm seeing all this fit.
Speaker 1: In I go.
Speaker 2: I had no idea because I was in my little, you know, trench of figuring out what I was doing. It's really fun to watch it now with seeing what they had in mind and kind of an overall view, and it's really it's really.
Speaker 1: Cool, though still super mad at Marcy.
Speaker 3: After Allison and Billy decide to paint the apartment toget, we find Sandy and Kelly both at Shooters and Jake is on his way there, supposedly to meet Kelly for lunch, but Sandy informs Kelly that Jake is actually at the unemployment office, and then we find him at the unemployment office where the guy at the counter gives him a run around and says he doesn't he didn't fill things out right and he needs to go back to the end of the line, and that's just sending Jake, who already started the day angry.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because of the water.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's not cool.
Speaker 1: It's just adding fuel to the fire. Everything that happens is adding fuel to his fire. Dammit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you notice how big unemployment was that it's a very crowded office.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a very busy place, very busy. But then then is when we find out that Billy, back in his cab, picks up his first fair and it is Mercy where they have their you know, incredible meet cute and find out that they were at the same concert many years ago, bonding and it turns into not just like a cab fair, but kind of like a date and they hang out.
Speaker 2: For the day, driving around to the valley.
Speaker 3: The valley, he invites her to a restaurant and turns off the cab like not available as it's furious, furious, I'm as mad as eat strawberries.
Speaker 1: Off the that is happening and being all cute.
Speaker 3: Jake is at the unemployment office losing it. And that's when he has like the second you know, infuriating encounter where he stands up for the woman who's not able to get her check. I think that was the first time. I think we really got to see, oh, Jake is going to be a stand up guy and he's going to be like standing up for not just himself, but like on other people's behalf.
Speaker 2: So yeah, yeah, so he really got But you know what was interesting is that when the woman said to Kelly, you know your boyfriend has a track record of other priors, right with the police. So I was curious.
Speaker 1: I was like, what else did he do?
Speaker 2: I knew he did stuff protecting me and other people later in the show, but I didn't know, did anyone know?
Speaker 3: What I think is I think that was like a story point that that was like dropping them like character like, I know, we all just find out at the same time as priors.
Speaker 1: He's very clear about that stuff. But the other thing I got, so, you know when she puts her credit card to try when Kelly puts her credit card down to try to bail him out, I had totally like missed the Oh that's right, rich girl, Yeah, tough boy. That brought that storyline back for me. That was probably covered more on the nine o two and zero part of it, But I was like, oh, that's right, that's this romantic story of tough guy, rich girl. He doesn't want to be taken care of, but she really cares about him. I was like, oh, that is super romantic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the high school girl who has, you know, the credit card and she's willing to bail him out and that sort of pisses him off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that was a crazy time to have a credit card for a person that young. To have a credit card in the nineties was crazy. Now they all do, which is also crazy.
Speaker 2: I remember actually in college, well that was twenty years it was ten years before. I remember having seven dollars in my checking account and being offered a credit card.
Speaker 1: Because you're in college, they offer all of you.
Speaker 2: They did that back in the eighty early eighties, and I was like, okay, I mean I thought it was like free money because it was a card and you could charge stuff even though you only had seven dollars that way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well in uh, you know, Kelly's card was declined in that moment, which is you know, she was trying to use her parents card.
Speaker 1: And all right, do you kind of catch up now to where I am? I? Yeah, jumped ahead.
Speaker 3: So yeah, here's where then Alison, Billy Allison and Billy's apartment and Billy offers the strawberry.
Speaker 1: Yes, and Courtney, we've already already covered that extended date. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So then and also Courtney is in adorable outfits. Your painting outfits.
Speaker 1: Painting are the super crap tang that overall to die for cute? Yeah, you're so, this is another thing.
Speaker 2: So we're scrunchies.
Speaker 1: So are scrunchies? Yes? Yeah, that was super cute.
Speaker 3: That you are super cute and she's painting alone.
Speaker 2: It's so funny because I just remembered, were you in a baseball jacket too? What was your jersey friend roommate wardrobe? Do you notice like?
Speaker 1: Nothing glorious? There's nothing feminine but adorable? And then backling. What I remember is sure that that I'm spackling and I can hear them like making out. That's the part that made me furious. I may have had an extra piece of pizza listening to that.
Speaker 3: And they come out of the bedroom then, and it's so the first thing Marcy does is acting to use your.
Speaker 1: Deal with me. I'm feel angry about the deodorant. Really, Oh my god, I.
Speaker 2: Wrote that down.
Speaker 1: That was Is it okay?
Speaker 3: If I is your deodorant I'm like, what, that's grody.
Speaker 2: That's grody.
Speaker 3: It's grody. And then she has the nerve to like judge you for like putting your name on on your fruit, Like really, you just asked to borrow my deodorant and I post it on my piece of fruit.
Speaker 1: And then she's like no.
Speaker 2: She has a snipy little attitude and she goes with like, you know, love all over her. She's like, you put names on your fruit? Yeah, Okay, I'm gonna okay, keep going.
Speaker 3: So back at the at the police station now, because Jake has been you know, sort of hauled away from his altercation in the unemployment office. But he's released from jail, and Kelly uh Is obviously isn't so she's the reason, right she she paid cash? Is that what happened? She paid cash to get him out? Or how did he get out?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And of course so lovingly is a stay out of this. Ye.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was talking about that.
Speaker 2: Thank you. That's all she needs to hear.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So we go back to Alison's apartment where Marcy just hasn't left. She still know she will not leave.
Speaker 2: I know. Now she's lighting candles. I love this scene.
Speaker 1: By the way, when you got in.
Speaker 2: Yeahs flammable, she puts it out. Oh, like she just takes over the apartment.
Speaker 1: You know, the disappointment of thinking, I'm going to see don't I come in going.
Speaker 2: Billy Yeah, in a kimono, lighting candles.
Speaker 3: Oh, you, I have to say, like it for a guest star to have so many scenes in such a big story arc, I think was unusual, right, Like, she h that was a huge story that she was. Usually it's like you focus on the series regulars and the guest star just has a little bit what she had a giant she just would not leave like that. You know. The nature of the storyline was like, this is a girl who will not leave.
Speaker 1: And she did a great job with it. Did a great job with it. I was so hilarious. Yeah, I mean so invasive and pushy and just oh.
Speaker 3: Yep, but but charming and she was great and had a ton of stuff to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, it's hard to do that part because the lines were written. Seen after scene have seen her getting more and more obnoxious in the way she talks.
Speaker 1: To everybody else about him and the love tricks.
Speaker 2: And then you know that's but she played it so charmingly I think we all kind of fell for her, and then we're creeped out by her at the same time, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I was curious at her from beginning to end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you hated her, but we were routing take her Allison anyway. So yeah, it was you know, she just never.
Speaker 2: Stood it, but she made it work.
Speaker 3: She made it last because well then, speaking of love, back in Michael and Jane's apartment, Jane is upset because Michael hasn't really revealed what it is that he remembers about them falling in love, and that's really sad. And then Alison comes in venting about her situation. She wants to see if she can spend the night there, and the irony of first love and those conversations is not lost on Jane.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's so sweet because then Allison says something along the lines of I mean, you guys are so stable, you guys are such a great couple, and they're in the middle of this fight. Yeah, like, okay, you can sleep here. I know ouch for Jane. It was very sweet.
Speaker 3: So then of course we get to the courtyard scene where it's a pool scene because you have got to use the pool and.
Speaker 1: Where Billy's bear chested with the barbecue and.
Speaker 2: The like barbecue.
Speaker 3: A couple of people are bare chested, right, we had a couple.
Speaker 1: Of iron zero. We had a guest chest.
Speaker 3: Chest is a brand new category because.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll add it in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the guest chest. And all the people are at the pool and all those cute bikinis and oh, y'all were really cute.
Speaker 1: Did Jake have sunglasses on so he had a black eyes? I didn't see a black eye.
Speaker 3: I didn't see a black eye. I think it was just like his angry like I'm not speaking to anybody vibe.
Speaker 1: Okay, that guy from what well he got into I saw it. I thought get into an actual fist fight. There was kind of a tussle. But no, maybe it was maybe that choice. Maybe that makes them trying to like trying to pretend we're actually outside when we were all know we're in a sound stage fighting the pretend.
Speaker 3: So that was one of the last times anybody was allowed to wear sunglasses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's probably true. Right, he probably said I would wear sunglasses. They gave him one shot and then Aaron's felling. Aaron'spelling note never again, for sunglasses.
Speaker 3: Around the pool is where Marcy really starts to be offensive because she's telling everybody like detailed stuff and like it was so cringey. And again, she was great because that was a hard bunch of dialect deliver and it was super cringey. It must have been improv.
Speaker 1: Like I think that her talking that must have been some improv because she was in so many little conversations.
Speaker 2: I don't remember.
Speaker 1: Cringe is the perfect word for it. I don't remember.
Speaker 2: Improv aloud ever, exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but maybe she was terrific and it was definitely cringey about how much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was.
Speaker 2: Real and it was just listening. You notice no one's saying stop what you say.
Speaker 1: It's so uncomfortable. We've all been there was one of those people, right, he's giving you way too many details about their new person. You're like, oh, really, wow, nice, I don't want to see your hickey.
Speaker 3: But thanks for That's where Alison tells Billy that Marcy is the most aggressive woman she's ever met.
Speaker 1: That may have been well, I was certainly saying it home in my living room last night.
Speaker 3: There were some other words I think Allison could have chosen, but she chose aggressive, which I thought was fine, but then it triggers Billy's daydreams.
Speaker 2: It was so.
Speaker 3: Such a this is the signe of the times. He goes into the daydream and it's doctor Ruth. Yes, also it's amazing, But I mean, it wasn't it interesting that, like the Jensen had the scene with doctor Ruth. Right, that was kind of a big deal, probably a big get that they we have Doctor Ruth coming on Nola's place, Right, it's probably a big deal.
Speaker 2: Oh right, I think she had her own show at the time or was it all over the place.
Speaker 3: And then it's just so funny that that was the scene was with Jensen instead of Billy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Billy's having over sex tacaholics yet that was the term her diagnosis over sex. Oliver claimed over sex talcoholic, and I'm like, yep, that's exactly tacoholic.
Speaker 3: I'm going to use that UF.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's the sense of humor in all this is really another thing that I get, you know, especially charming.
Speaker 1: And then this is so Billy comes back to reality when it's on fire, and then Ronda takes over the grill and tells him he's going to need his strength for tonight.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Also cringey, not gonna lie a little cringey, but yeah, he nearly burned the place down. And then Jake is walking into the courtyard to find Michael working on the pipes. Well, thank goodness, he's trying to do something about the pipes because we don't want to have another incidet.
Speaker 1: Like I was sitting there, going now, this would be an opportunity to have them both shirtless. They did not make that choice because they're doing like they're doing manly things to turn Yeah, but you know, there could be water. I guess I'm just I'm just saying it's a missed opportunity. I think it's all I'm saying. I think.
Speaker 3: So that's a good note.
Speaker 1: I wish flexing with moving the wrench or whatever the hell it was.
Speaker 3: But they sort of have a conversation about, you know, sort of how they're similar and how Michael sort of understands who he is and why he maybe sort of doesn't handle things always correctly, right. Isn't that where they bond?
Speaker 1: That's very sweet?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they totally. It was very But Jane of course opens the door to Sake at night, and we can see that she's still pissed off.
Speaker 1: Oh gooding, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe you love Jake more. I don't know, Jane.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that's good, and that that was a subtext.
Speaker 1: That's a subtext.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think isn't going to need energy that night?
Speaker 1: You can you can rest tonight.
Speaker 3: But Billy, speaking of energy, is starting to question his situation and he's watching the creepy documentary about black widow spiders.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: But Marcy joins him on the couch, and she doesn't seem to understand that that was sort of him questioning where the relationship is going.
Speaker 1: Education.
Speaker 3: Instead, she says, I think I love you.
Speaker 1: Zs clueless.
Speaker 3: Yep, it feels a tiny bit soon, a little bit, I think, And we learned it was only day two. I think it was so yeah. So Allison, then in the morning, is sitting when Billy walks in, and we realize that Marcy's still there. She's in the shower, and but Billy now wants to confide in Allison and say that he's maybe not so sure about this and kind of turning the tables right because he wants to talk to Alison. Alison's like, you know, none of my business, your problem sort of thing.
Speaker 2: But I mean it's so clueless, ye, the thing I saw, like, you know, you can blame Billy the character for being such a like just a clueless but a lot of guys I remember when I was younger, what was like this, like, well, we just I mean, she's in love with me, and that happens. It's the it's the estrogen, it's the hormones, and you want to once you sleep together, you better watch out, mister, because she feels differently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. And then they're like, well, what do we do now?
Speaker 2: And she and the cluelessness of coming to you, well, Alison, the cluelessness of coming to Alison to say will you help me with the situation? Just totally clueless about it all, you know, like there's no like, look, I know, maybe you're not the you might feel a little nothing. You know. It's just like that kind of archetypal clueless guy, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: It just that was very clear to me. Could she say all that part about the estrogen and stuff and your doctor Ruth accident, the.
Speaker 2: Incident she feels, she feels the sexual experience for a tlcoholic is much more dramatic than for somebody such as baby.
Speaker 3: So then Kelly's house where Kelly and Donna and David are walking out of her fancy Beverly Hills house heading to the hospital, which I missed. I was like, what, who's having a baby? Like I missed it?
Speaker 1: It went by I was in the hospital.
Speaker 3: Who they were headed to the hospital with balloons and gifts because somebody was having a baby. That came up really abruptly for me, and I sort of like, wait.
Speaker 1: Wait, got maybe that's a nine O, two and o storyline. Maybe that's what it was.
Speaker 3: And I only figured it out at the end like that it was her Why did I figure it out that it was her mom having a baby?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's a nine not two and No, Okay, that's working well.
Speaker 3: So that was a crossover that didn't quite make sense for Melrose viewer, I think in the moment, certainly didn't for me. It's my first time watching that episode, yes, but anyway, that's where Jake wants to give Kelly back the two hundred dollars and he goes to shooters having a beer. Billy comes in and they're trying to have a conversation about like relationship advice and like Jake's dude, I don't really know how to help you.
Speaker 2: I got my own girl trouble. She's sixteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So then Sandy's still trying to, you know, work her way into Jake's life, and Jake asks Sandy out for a beer, but she thinks, you know, hard to get. No, I don't think you're yeah, I don't think you're ready for that, So she sort of turns him down there, and then we're back to the courtyard where Billy is pacing by the pool and Marcy shows up in a red dress and gives him a hug, but Billy tells Marcy that he is not so sure he wants to continue, and that Marcy's coming on too strong.
Speaker 1: And they really, they really let him off so easy with this, because a woman who would be that obsessed in that crazy wouldn't say, you.
Speaker 3: Know what, you're right, I do this, I do this all the time.
Speaker 1: That's not the reaction of someone who's that sort of unhinged. But I think we just kind of wanted to move her out nicely, not have him look.
Speaker 2: Like the bag.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she would not, I'm thinking have handled it quite as gracefully.
Speaker 3: As she did again a convenient writer. Yes moment, just let's get this wrapped up and make her apologize and go away.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, we don't want him to be a bad guy. Yeah, so have her take it all on.
Speaker 3: So she does, she goes away.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And then we are on the scene where Michael and Jane are in the apartment and Jane is apologizing to Michael for being a jerk.
Speaker 2: Yeah wash, she a jerk.
Speaker 1: Well, she's playing sort of what I read from her performance, which is really great. It was that she's sort of saying, look, I'm sorry. She kind of wants to put it under the rug because she doesn't want it to be an issue. She's still upset, but she's apologizing for her part. She's really keeping it right underneath. And then when he starts talking about how he feels, it's a beautiful shot because we're looking at her with him in the background, and you see it on her face.
Speaker 3: Yeah, her face was so really beauty, somtionful.
Speaker 1: So vulnerable, so sweet. And then that moment when he says it's every moment and she turns around and she jumps on his lap, and I was like, oh, yep, Michael pulls it out, so.
Speaker 3: We finally have a good moment and it was lovely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it was an interesting way to start it, with her apologizing and then him saying no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: Look well, I mean I find myself doing that, like because to her, the connection is what she misses. The connection is more painful than anything else. So she needs to come back to him because he's not going to apologize clearly the writer's let you know, someone has to so they get back together, so they feel that connection, like regardless of when we remember it. So, I mean, I I've been in up situation while I say I'm sorry for you know, maybe I shouldn't be the one too, but the connection is what important.
Speaker 1: So that's true.
Speaker 2: It kind of felt really normal that she would even though I would love to have heard it from him.
Speaker 1: But that's why I think he's a really well written scene. She is the bigger person, she's the emotional center, and then that gives him the space and she has that beautiful reaction that they come back to you. Yeah, that was real. I thought that was really well done. That was such a great payoff that conflict. Yeah, really sweet.
Speaker 2: Really, it seems so mature, don't they but your couple in the building.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So then Jake is coming on his motorcycle again to the house and Kelly's there and he decides to take her out on his motorcycle. So he really can't figure out what he's doing.
Speaker 1: That awe vulnerable scene for him, Like when he comes to her, he looks sweet and vulnerable and soft. That was a lovely things. Think she's too young, but that in that moment you go that to she sees in him that's a sweetness. Ye, And he was.
Speaker 3: He was really vulnerable, and that's when he says, I don't know, you know, I don't know why I'm doing this and what what I'm doing, But like it was, it was authentic and vulnerable and sweet.
Speaker 1: It really was.
Speaker 3: So he went from angry guy to loveland.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they ride off together. So it is there the kind of rooting for.
Speaker 2: Him and then our payoff with you.
Speaker 3: Yeah and Billy painting the apartment side by side exactly what we all wanted to be seeing.
Speaker 1: Yea favorite adorable watched the.
Speaker 3: Drips and they didn't they didn't actually do the extra like, oh, you got a little paint on your we did.
Speaker 1: We didn't on this because we had to. He called us. I don't know when when the characters got together, but anyway, but they wanted to keep it. But it was cute and then you pull out and hear us laughing.
Speaker 3: That was very se like that, but you did only I don't it's going to take a really long time for those two to get that apartment painted because you just like painted every one over and over. They're nervous.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to like.
Speaker 3: I've done so much house painting at my own house. It was like making me anxious, like longst.
Speaker 1: We're matching, we take fund right, but I know, I know that's it.
Speaker 3: I'm never going to get done at this.
Speaker 1: And that was so sweet. Yay yay.
Speaker 3: So what were your We sort of touched on it a little bit bit, like what were your moments that were like sign of the times? So I just want to jump back quickly and remember I told you last time.
Speaker 2: I think it was that Darren and I were roommates in college and he said, like a lot of Allison was based on me because the guys would never shop and like I would just notice like things disappearing, you know, things like that I was just like, Okay, if we're going to share this little this little refrigerator or schef, like it's just if your name isn't on it, then don't eat it, you know, just stuff like that. And I and I realized, like, and I did this movie back in eighty three called The sure Thing, and uh, I know that Darren loved that movie. And again I was the uptight one called Alison in that movie and John Cusack played this this total slob kind of guy like Andrew was just the guy's messy and I just feel like I got to see that now, oh this whole again. It's very archetypal stereotypical where the you know, there's roommates. So I'm like, but Darren, I don't think he was falling in love with me in college, because I think he's probably falling in love.
Speaker 3: With the frack guys in the front of our It was charmed by you.
Speaker 2: But I just loved seeing that that A I didn't realize I was so anal. You didn't play it that much. But the character I did in The sure Thing was really anal That was definitely her characteristic. But at any rate, I do remember doing that and that stood out for me.
Speaker 1: I thought that.
Speaker 2: I thought the humor and the writing really stood out for me. Again, when I came onto the show as Joe, there's a lot of drama and hellish negative stuff that happened to her. But to see the comedy and that he.
Speaker 1: Were in this was really cool, the sweetness in the beginning. In the beginning, yeah, yeah, I think the sexual harassment thing felt like a sign of the times, how they brushed.
Speaker 3: It under the rug and the Doctor Ruth's appearance doctor sometimes. Yeah, you had a great line too, And I'm looking forward in my notes here because I want to get it right. You were a Midwestern nitwitt. Do you remember the.
Speaker 1: Cracked me up? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I was like, I need to write that down and I did. It was something about being in midwesternwik I relate to that. That one cracked me up too. All right, Well, that was super fun. And when we get to we get to talk.
Speaker 2: With Gras first guest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so excited and yeah, I can't wait to have that conversation. Then we get to the next episode, I can't wait to see what happens.
Speaker 1: Y heay, I love this. We're having so much yay. All right, we'll hear you guys. Talk to you guys soon.
Speaker 3: Still the place,