Speaker 1: Welcome Mike Liones to the Armstrong and Getty Show.
Speaker 2: Hey Jack, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: I do want to talk about your piece and real clear defense about the twenty thousand dollars drone that should wake up the Pentagon, because that sounds really, really interesting.
Speaker 2: But before we get.
Speaker 1: To that, I was just reading at least one piece in the Wall Street Journal where they were comfortable declaring that we lost this war and certainly that other Iranians feel like they want it. Is there a way there that at West Point or you know, those of you in college classes who'd study war determine a win versus a loss?
Speaker 2: And at what point do you determine that?
Speaker 3: Well, if you look at war as an extension of foreign policy, you know, the warfare, the operational success that we have here, did that give the president the country the leverage to negotiate what we're considered to be favorable terms for us Right now?
Speaker 2: It is looking like that that's just not the case.
Speaker 3: The operational success, the military success was clear on the ground, given what's been to destroy of the Iranian navy, their capability to manufacture, we're fighting capability going forward. However, what's the political outcome of this. You know, the best comparison is Vietnam. Right, We've never really lost the battle on the ground in Vietnam. However, we end up losing that from a strategic perspective, so that the story is not out there yet, it hasn't been told. But you know, I think the can's been kicked down the road right now. And the question is whether or not the military did gave the president the leverage. I think we did give the president the leverage you needed to negotiate harder, but it doesn't look like that's the outcome.
Speaker 1: So it seems to me most people left right and center don't like this deal. But we've had a few people who say, and this might be where Trump is, you got to live in the real world where we are today with a possible worldwide recession if we keep the Straight closed, and what it's doing to the price of oil and this and that, and what it would take for the military to get to our objectives at this point? Is this the smart thing to do?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: So look them at that. Would it have been possible for us to.
Speaker 1: Force open the Straight or horror moones, what would that have looked like if we had decided to go that far.
Speaker 3: Well, it would have looked like what it did back in the eighties when we had when we were in that mission with regard to open up the straight and keeping it open. Then it's not that it was impossible. Then what was that earnest will that mission was called. We had over two hundred and fifty tankers that went through that environment with navy escorts, and maybe perhaps we don't have those assets there right now. We really don't have the destroyers, that we don't have the same level of navy that we had, but that would have been possible. I mean, this is a good example of while you can defeat the Iranians militarily, think their navy, destroy their capability, take away their nuclear future, the bottom line is they still have geography on their side, and that geography is the Straits, and with coastal batteries and mines and fast moving boats, they live in the crevices and they can use asymmetric warfare to the threatn I like that expression of it. Yeah, I want to live in the real world too, But to all of a sudden, it just decide when it's not going to play anymore. After starting this seems like it's a little unfinished as well, and again just really kicks the can down the road with regard to solving this problem.
Speaker 1: How troubled are you by leaving their rocket making capability and some of their rockets.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I remember the big journalistic piece that came out that said they still had whatever it was, seventy percent of their rocket capability. Are you okay with leaving them with that and the threat that they may someday overwhelm the iron dome system there in Israel?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not sure it's that high. They have it on their mobile tracks. But let's be clear. They're ballistic missile capability is offensive. You know, when the President made that comment, it's like, oh, it's okay for them to have some offensive ballistic missiles.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not those are You're not, you.
Speaker 3: Know, if they ever had patriot missiles or air defense systems, which is what the market's going to boom, especially with what we see in Europe and Ukraine and Russia right now, there's going to be you know, if you're invest in air defense stocks because Androil and these companies that make those missiles or are going through the roof, they're gonna going to be able.
Speaker 2: To manufacture them.
Speaker 3: But but again, the missiles that the reigns have are offensive. They're not designed to protect them. They're they're they They're not used for deterrence. They're used to terrain terror on their enemies, and so I'm really concerned with that. Mike POMPEII has been talking about that since even Secretary of State in the first Trump administration. This whole thing is it's all tied together, the ballistic missiles with the nuclear capability because because you have one thing to have a new because I think, to deliver it, and those ballistic missiles allow them to do both.
Speaker 1: I know some of this stuff is getting into kind of philosophical stuff as opposed to just strict military strategy stuff that you're an expert with. But like Joe and I have been saying for a while, if Iran announced they have a nuclear bomb, and they have when, that would be one of the biggest days in world history, wouldn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure because of their capability to deliver it.
Speaker 3: And you know it's one thing, yeah, exactly, and how they could deliver it and what you know, they're not putting it on the back of a Toyota pickup truck and pushing it across the border. If they're going to launch it at Israel is what they would do. They would they would do it without recourse. I you know, we as I said a few months ago, the Rains never thought we would do what we did. They never thought we would do epicure. They never thought we would do that. Well, that looks like we're not going to finish it. And I think that's, you know, to their advantage. We've we've become we've reverted back to self deterrence again, and I think that's an issue. But sure, the North Koreans have a nuclear capability. We watched that happen and we all put our hands in our him and say, boy, look at that. And many presidents just let that go as well. They didn't, They didn't do anything about it, trying to at least keeps them in a box. But there's no country that's going to keep the Ranians in.
Speaker 2: The box, right.
Speaker 1: And while I really hate that North Korea has a weapon, he doesn't every day have you know, his people in the street chanting death to you know whatever a little country nearby him.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And the way that the Uranians do their intention and their ability coming together would be horrifying. One of the way way to get to your drone piece today maybe would be to look at, uh where Russian Ukraine are right now. I just I'm not following it as closely as I used to, and I just keep seeing headlines that, uhh, Ukraine's on the front foot.
Speaker 2: Yeah they are, as you know.
Speaker 3: We also that video was it last week of hitting and oil refinedly blowing the top of it. I mean that's ten miles outside of Moscow, and you know that battle has become much more closer to home there, but they're gaining some ground uh in the domebath in the region there, which is now virtually destroyed. Anyway, if you'll see videos of the drone tethers and the like, I mean it and the land mines that have been that have been buried there, and they like that. It's it's a perrooric victory at this point because the ground is virtually untenable. But droning warfare is now the of the game. And what my piece is that there to be published tomorrow and Record Defense just talks about we got a little bit of a wake up call with that Apache getting shot down with a drone from from the Iranians can still swarm them. They can still take a twenty thousand dollars drone and had a thirty million dollar helicopter by just swarming at it, just loitering until it finds the target. But then the second component to that is the fact that it was picked. A drone ends up resting, you know, autonomous vehicle ends up rescuing the pilots in the in the in the water as well.
Speaker 2: So that we're in a new whole new state of warfare right now.
Speaker 3: But we need to get you know, the economics again straight with regard to this where irn assists right now with their military capabilities like in between what i'll call the bubbles, and that's this. You know that there's nothing on that Apache that could have seen that drone coming because we were too busy trying that patchy was designed to take out tanks.
Speaker 2: And in the eastern western Europe.
Speaker 3: So we've got to gain more capability to make sure that these autonomous systems don't don't live inside the wire and autonomously and asymmetrical takeout our capability.
Speaker 1: So, as you wrote in your piece, the twenty thousand drone that should wake up the Pentagon when that Apache went down. That's a roughly twenty thousand dollars drone taking down a roughly thirty million dollar helicopter. Yeah, obviously you can't keep that up very long.
Speaker 3: No, And it was the same argument that was made months ago when our Patriot missiles were taking out the ballistic missiles coming from Iran's and the same thing with Ukraine and Russia. The one hundred thousand dollars ballistic missile is taken out by four to five to six million dollar Patriot missiles.
Speaker 2: In some cases.
Speaker 3: The Navy Air Defense systems those AC threes, they are thirty and forty million dollars rockets, one at a time, at one shot. So because they're designed to protect the carrier, they're not necessarily designed to take out one one missile out of time.
Speaker 2: So again, the economics of this doesn't work.
Speaker 3: We're going to have to be faster, procure better and developed systems that are gonna that are gonna take out these autonomous threats that are going to do nothing more than increase and I'm more concerned.
Speaker 2: About them even here in the United States.
Speaker 3: Look at that situation last week with DFC fight right like a drone swarm here. I look at the stadium. You know, we have to develop not only things for the military. I was at West Point working with a bunch of cadads and they're they're developing these projects that will help protect their platoons for drones. I look at them and says, we need to develop things to protect stadiums from drone swarms.
Speaker 2: Because that's that's the next threat. That's what's coming here.
Speaker 1: It's going to happen, whether it's a terrorist attack or some you know, militia group on the left or the right or whatever is going to pull off some sort of drone it that's going to really horrify people. There's something psychologically. I've watched a lot of these videos where these the Russians are out in the field and they hear the drones coming and they start running and the drones catch up to them and you hear them. There's something psychologically more terrifying about that. Then if it was a guide chasing you with a gun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, because you know it's going to hit. You know, it's not going to stop. You know that, it's just your time is up.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's really, you know, I guess in combat the way to go is just you know that single bullet. Who you know Paton talks about that about getting killed in combat, But that's not the case anymore. You're going to see something loiter around and mess with your head before it finally decides to take you out.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad to hear that you and the military circles who think can talk about these things are talking about it as just like domestic protection also, because that is clearly the future.
Speaker 2: Yeah, due use, I think is what's happening here.
Speaker 3: And you know, I'm working a lot more with innovative startup companies now to see not only help protect soldiers on the battlefield, but what's that capability going to do to protect our stadiums and protect crowds. And I think that's the next threat, whether you know we're going to live with it or Not's like everything else, it's where the future is.
Speaker 2: Before I let you go.
Speaker 1: Is there a mood among you guys who text and tweet and talk to each other of a little bit of despair for losing a war or or where are you on this?
Speaker 2: No? I think it's the same.
Speaker 3: I don't want to call it cognitive distance. I won't to go that far as to say that we're not real about it, but the military is just concerned that we think that we gave the president more better leverage than he's probably applied, and maybe one more strike and a couple of different things. Look, you know, to say we were going to regime change from airpower along was never probably the case. But I don't mind keep going down a few more layers and we see how strong the iergy see their control is over the Iranians and over that country in a forty seven years. It's calcified at this point. And so but but if the if this gets strung along, we just lose our patients. To Jadevan says, you know, I've just had enough. I'm going home, and you just you know, we're just.
Speaker 2: Going to end it here.
Speaker 3: You know, Trump didn't get its visual sign of victory, and I think that's what most concerns me. There's no there's no real visual sign.
Speaker 2: In victory, so that I think that that translates into defeat. Maj.
Speaker 1: Mike lines that's how you follow him on Twitter anytime and anything big military breaks, I always go there to see what he's going to say about it and his op ed tomorrow in real clear defense. Mike Lines, thanks for your time today, Thanks FIRS for me Man the future. This whole drone thing is so fascinating. But like we were talking about with that group of numb nuts who wanted to attack Trump's UFC fight there in the white out lawn, at some point, whether it's ISIS al Qaeda or some homegrown terrorist nut job, somebody's gonna pull off a drone attack and that's gonna change everything.
Speaker 2: All of a sudden.
Speaker 1: We're gonna spend be spending money all over the place protecting things from drones.
Speaker 2: It's inevitable, really armstrong and