Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club Cowboys. This is mick Shots streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys apt.
Speaker 2: Now Here are Bill Jones, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: It is a Thursday inside the SWBC podcast studio. But more importantly, it.
Speaker 4: Is the last Thursday.
Speaker 3: No more importantly, it's the first Thursday of twenty twenty five and it's the first edition of mix Shots for twenty twenty five. We have turned the page.
Speaker 5: So let's start on a good note.
Speaker 3: We are starting on a good note. Do you have something you would like to start with.
Speaker 5: It's a beautiful.
Speaker 3: Day outside for right there are football players on the football field for almost the final time, right, Yeah, final practice.
Speaker 5: They walked through Saturday.
Speaker 6: Okay, so the final full practice not Saturday.
Speaker 4: Well, they're today would be.
Speaker 5: They're out of pads, so they'll have shelves on today.
Speaker 4: So no more pads.
Speaker 5: No more pads.
Speaker 3: They put the pads up a long time ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah no, that's why.
Speaker 6: That's why I have the playoffs have no winning record because everybody.
Speaker 5: The whole league's pads are up until the playoff teams.
Speaker 4: But it does look it is a beautiful day.
Speaker 5: I know it is.
Speaker 3: Okay, it's going to be a beautiful day on Sunday too.
Speaker 5: The roof is going to be open.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know about the outside. It's a beautiful day because it's today.
Speaker 4: For football, I think it's gonna be it's going to get cold.
Speaker 3: On Sunday, but I don't know how early on Sunday. So we played like but no, the noon kickoff on Sunday, final game of the twenty twenty four season.
Speaker 5: This is it.
Speaker 3: This is it, and everybody's contract is up story clock on Sunday.
Speaker 5: Well, if you just need to know, oh, I had my list.
Speaker 3: I actually looked last night.
Speaker 4: Y'all laughing. It's not like we got secure jobs.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying. Everybody said, everybody.
Speaker 5: So this is the list right here of unrestricted agents, unrestricted the coaches on there too, our names. Our names are not on here.
Speaker 3: How many do you count if you without counting the injured reserve guys, okay, the guys that are going to play in the game on Sunday, how many don't have a contract for the twenty twenty five.
Speaker 5: Season, so roughly, I'm not I'm counting everybody. Twenty guys will be unrestricted county.
Speaker 3: Last night I came up to twenty two.
Speaker 5: Twenty two, Oh, no, twenty two. I forgot the Yeah, the special teams dudes.
Speaker 4: Down at the bottom.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the Pro bowlers, yeah, no one of them, No, none.
Speaker 4: Of them, None of them.
Speaker 3: And Brian Ainger and the long snapper.
Speaker 5: They signed, they must have signed. Well, they signed Brendan Aubrey to a three year deal, so then.
Speaker 3: He was the second year in the LA. Even if you were an exclusive rights.
Speaker 5: Free agent whatever, Yeah, they would still. Yeah, he can't go anywhere, right, So yeah.
Speaker 3: And that's where Cavante falls into that.
Speaker 5: Cat's restricted.
Speaker 3: He's uh, there's more money is speaking of that? Speaking of that, Since you let us right there there, Cowboys have five Pro Bowlers selected and announced this morning, two of them special teamers, and person you can guess who those two are, Brandon Aubrey and Cavante Turpin. If you were to guess one defensive player, who would it be? Michael Parsons? If you were to guess two offensive players, ceedee.
Speaker 4: Lamb and.
Speaker 5: Come on, because I went five for five before I.
Speaker 4: Looked got nobody offensive line.
Speaker 7: I've still got nobody Smith, Tyler Smith for the second time in three years in the league, CD for the fourth time, Micah for the fourth time and second time in two years, for Brandon Aubrey, second time in three years for Cavante Turpin.
Speaker 4: That's got to be very satisfying.
Speaker 6: And you know, they got to be feeling really good about that because after this season.
Speaker 4: Seven and nineteen especially, you wouldn't expect that to have many Pro Bowlers, for us to.
Speaker 3: Have five, then for Parsons to miss five games, and he.
Speaker 4: Still made He got ten sacks.
Speaker 3: Right now, he's nine and a half, he's a half and a half to go.
Speaker 5: You know he's playing. I god, I'm not sitting out the last game.
Speaker 3: So if he gets half a sack, he will become the fourth player in National Football League history since sacks were a statu to have ten or more sacks in his first four seasons in the league. Can you name the other three players who in their first four years in the league had at least ten sacks in each of the first four seasons.
Speaker 4: I know they're all Hall of famous that I do. Uh, we didn't. We'll go we'll go with Reggie White.
Speaker 3: Reggie, We'll go with Derek Thomas, I said, Derek, and we'll go with Dwight Freeny.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 3: Michael would join that elite group.
Speaker 4: Pretty good group.
Speaker 6: Okay, So we're worried about uh And I know we'll get to that later.
Speaker 4: Balkley.
Speaker 6: They decided not to play him, So why don't we think the same thing about Michael Parson's.
Speaker 3: Because he needs half a sack half a sack because he says, I, well.
Speaker 5: But you saw how they finished the game. Yeah, they were riding his ass the whole time, so he can get us two thousand yards right right right? And I was sitting there going, okay, go ahead, keep rubbing it in. And what if he gets hurt?
Speaker 4: So what if Michael gets hurt?
Speaker 5: Well, he doesn't. He's got a lot he does month three.
Speaker 3: He didn't have a game until September.
Speaker 5: He doesn't have to play interesting the other guys have.
Speaker 4: It's like, this will come up in my mind again.
Speaker 3: You know what, who's got more writing on it? Does Micah have more writing on it? Or do the Cowboys for next season have more writing on it?
Speaker 4: See what you're saying. If it's if it's good for if it's good for Mike, that's right. If Michael wants to do it, we're good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's got however many hundreds of thousands of dollars, right.
Speaker 4: I got it.
Speaker 5: Well, it's like the guys.
Speaker 3: Only yeah how many? Yeah, like a hundred undred, one hundred hundred thousands.
Speaker 4: There we go, there we go.
Speaker 5: Well, for sure, twenty one to twenty five million, because that's what the base will be for his fifty year option.
Speaker 4: If they don't sign him as and then you can double that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, exactly. So it was like the guys just asked me on the fan doing the segment here, who do you want to see that you haven't seen? And I go, we've seen everybody. The only one we haven't seen is Trey Lance. And I just think from a logic standpoint, he's got to be the guy that starts, right, Yeah.
Speaker 6: I mean, you know, and it's no punishment, no punishment on Cooper Rush at all, you know, even though his game was was was surprisingly lackluster except for.
Speaker 3: The should have that you can gain. Well, yeah he got that contract.
Speaker 6: Yeah we didn't get anything for it, and so yeah, yeah, just he got his he got his last week. Well he wants to get his and uh you know, but Tray still is the man that needs to get in there.
Speaker 4: And it's not Lumbers.
Speaker 6: Once again, it's not just because we lost the game and he played, he didn't play. Well, this is the last game of the season, right, you know we got nothing to play for. I mean with with with no winning record, no playoffs.
Speaker 4: Uh, it's the last game.
Speaker 6: How many people do you think are going to show up at the game, That's what I'm wondering.
Speaker 5: Well, if you already bought the tickets, I think you would go.
Speaker 4: That is not true. You would not a friend who has never Do you have a friend who has been a game?
Speaker 6: Give them to the pool man. That's what they would do. They wouldn't sell them to anybody.
Speaker 5: Well, the pool man would go running.
Speaker 3: Joe is a running joke in my family. My daughter's okay, and my wife they've never been to a game.
Speaker 4: Here idea.
Speaker 3: I've been working for the Cowboys for twenty years, it even preseason. They've never been to a game.
Speaker 4: So this is the game? No, it is.
Speaker 3: It is if somebody gives them a ticket. Actually, my h you know what My oldest daughter has.
Speaker 4: Been five some tickets for your wife.
Speaker 3: And my oldest daughter has been to games because she's got someone in her family who works for the organization who has a lot of power.
Speaker 4: Of the organization more than you.
Speaker 5: Ye, So you think this is nineteen eighty nine, the joke in eighty nine where they put fourth tickets on the windshield and they come back with and there was more there when they came back.
Speaker 4: Come back in the six tickets. No one took them. That was the you know, growing up, Saints didn't.
Speaker 3: So did you go to games growing up?
Speaker 6: I went to one game, okay, nineteen seventy two Cowboys played the forty nine ers and God number twenty two for the forty nine ers.
Speaker 4: He was a return man.
Speaker 6: He would turn it one of the kickoffs for a touchdown, but we still kicked the butts.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 3: I would get a call on Sunday morning saying, hey, we got an extra ticket, you want to go, and that's how I would go. We never paid for tickets to go to I went with my.
Speaker 4: Actually we did.
Speaker 3: I didn't do remember going with my dad. That's that Monday night game we're in nineteen seventy that the Cowboys lost thirty eight to nothing to the Cardinals, and in the fourth quarter they were That was the first time that Dandy Don Meredith was in the Monday night football booth and in the fourth quarter the fans started chanting, we want dandee you want Dandy.
Speaker 4: I was at that game.
Speaker 6: I was seventy two. That's the first year of the stadium right Texas.
Speaker 3: And last half of the seventy one season. That first four year was seventy.
Speaker 6: Two, so I'm pretty sure that was a playoff game. And my mom's brother in law, my uncle, took us up with my cousin. Man, we had a good time. We were way up there, way up there. I don't think it was like I think we were like two rolls from.
Speaker 5: The yeah, but way up there. It was a little different than way.
Speaker 4: Up here, no doubt. But at that time it was way up there was way up there. But that TV seats now.
Speaker 3: And that TV screen that tex Shram had put in uh where, it was just like.
Speaker 5: A little it was like your nineteen inch It.
Speaker 3: Wasn't even it was like the I don't even how you know how you described.
Speaker 5: Remember it because it was.
Speaker 4: Screen.
Speaker 3: It was like just lights and you had you had just figures on there. It was just like it wasn't even a video, but it was touted as video. So now you can sit up in the nosebleed seats and you can watch it just like it ome on a bigger TV than you can ever imagine.
Speaker 6: I think as a kid, I knew that life had something better in mind, because even I knew that was laying. That was laying, Ben, what are we doing here in there?
Speaker 3: And then the sun would shine on and then the sun would the sun would come in and shine on it, and you couldn't even see the lights on it.
Speaker 5: Hey, growing up, I went to two games at Breakley Field for the Bears, and there was no video board. Right. They were still manually putting the numbers in the scoreboard. Right, it was not electric.
Speaker 4: That was good though, I like you like that. I mean, that's why that's good. Well, that's what they.
Speaker 5: Football too.
Speaker 4: Hey.
Speaker 3: In nineteen ninety four, when they built a ballpark in Arlington, they on the scoreboard you could see all the out of town scores, but they had the out of town scoreboard because that was a throwback. That's why baseball supposed to be.
Speaker 5: There was there was no runoff at the back of the end zone at Wrigley Field, the wall was there, and here in this thing.
Speaker 6: These are historic monuments to me with what you're talking about where the White Sox used to play with, you know, Cotton Bowl.
Speaker 4: And all of that. And when you start thinking about all.
Speaker 6: The I don't know what do you call it the methods, the modern methods that we were looking forward to as kids.
Speaker 4: I knew something had to be better.
Speaker 6: As a kid, I knew that we had to do better than this America.
Speaker 4: I know it as a kid.
Speaker 6: I knew better as I got older, Like, man, thank god they're doing this as opposed to what they used to do, you know, thank God for that.
Speaker 5: Do you think do you think that where I sat at Wrigley Field for those two games, they were the box seat area for baseball, so like right behind first base. The seats they were like the folding chairs at the Catholic warvits. I mean, come on, they were not.
Speaker 4: Attached chair professional.
Speaker 5: And everybody was standing on them because there was no nets when they kicked an extra point or a field goal, so the ball was yours if you can get it on these rickety chairs.
Speaker 6: A professional team players are being paid and you got chairs.
Speaker 5: This is almost before you were born.
Speaker 4: Remember that.
Speaker 5: I just I just knew fling chairs.
Speaker 4: We're better than this America. I knew it.
Speaker 6: Thank God, but there man. Thank God for technology and futuristic thought.
Speaker 5: Geez, did you think anybody got slighted at the on the Pro Bowl?
Speaker 3: It hasn't occurred. It hasn't occurred to me.
Speaker 5: Those were the only five I can come up with.
Speaker 4: Patrick Mahomes no Cowboys. Cowboys.
Speaker 3: But okay, to that point on Patrick Mahomes, Well.
Speaker 5: But I gave them credit for putting Burrow in there instead of Mahomes.
Speaker 3: So you had the three quarterbacks in the a FC that made it, where Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson.
Speaker 5: And the Boat on a team.
Speaker 4: So you've got to put Mahomes.
Speaker 3: Ahead of them.
Speaker 4: My Homes didn't make it.
Speaker 3: No, But if you're picking who do you take out, put Mahomes in.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but going in I don't care what. I don't care. What is that?
Speaker 5: What is their record?
Speaker 3: I don't care what.
Speaker 5: I don't think Mahomes will played in the Pro Bowl in like what about five years?
Speaker 4: Six years? He's always in the Super Bowl? Right, Very good?
Speaker 3: They still have the Pro Bowl.
Speaker 5: I don't even know they played flag football, didn't they? They have a game show this year.
Speaker 3: Well, that's why Mahomes should be in it, right, because he'll because he'll be in the Super Bowl, and so you'll add someone.
Speaker 6: Well, no, not only that, he's a Pro Bowl type player. That's how he plays, right, you know, he's got the he's got the you think.
Speaker 3: In fact in behind the back. In fact, you're looking at the MVP discussion. Okay, would what would the Chiefs record be if Patrick Mahomes?
Speaker 4: I don't care what his stats are.
Speaker 3: What would their record be this season if they didn't have Patrick Mahomes and Carson Wentz was their starting quarterback? Nothing against Carson Wentz. I mean you put basically any backup quarterback in there.
Speaker 5: That's why this MVP is somewhat backwards, because it's the MVP of stats instead of the MVP of a team or league. Where do you think Philadelphia would be without Saquon Barkley? Same thing, right, think about it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 5: So So how about why how about about more important than Derrick Henry?
Speaker 3: I bet Jared Goff. Yeah, okay, to the point that they signed Teddy Bridgewater or from high school.
Speaker 4: What is going on with this? Why don't why doesn't anyone like Jared Golf?
Speaker 6: Why are they not touting him as if he's Josh Allen or as if he's a Mahomes or whatever?
Speaker 4: Lamar Jackson? What is going on? Somebody tell me why?
Speaker 6: There are certain people out there, there's certain great players, there are certain players, we have great seasons, right that for some reason, it's easily ignored by the masses.
Speaker 5: Because you get pigeonholed into what you once were.
Speaker 4: And that is not cool, right, That is not cool. Can I give you not the same player.
Speaker 5: That he was back and I'll give you an example of this even in our business.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So, when I was working in Jackson, Mississippi, they had a guy that was the high school writer, right, and he was really good at it, but his nickname was high school right, and he never moved up to another position.
Speaker 3: To doology because he was the high school once they gave him, and once they got that on him, he was buried, right.
Speaker 5: And so I think it happens with people. Once you get pigeonholed into you are this cotter. What you do you can't get out of it.
Speaker 6: So is the coach considered for Coach of the year Campbell, Oh, I would imagine coach of the year. I would imagine, so you can so come on, man, yeah, come on, if you just considered coach that your quarterback. I mean, his percentage is through the roof. Has he broken the records in regards to that yet? Is there some type of standard in regards to not just rating but passing percentage? I mean, every time I look up, this guy's maybe missed six passes in the game his worst game I believe that he had when they lost.
Speaker 3: Thinking he's completing you're talking about his completion percentage. He's at seventy one point seven percent this year, which apparently doesn't lead the league.
Speaker 5: Let me see, well, let me tell you seventy one point seven, may Field seventy one seven, so that the tied and TUA is seventy two point nine percent completions. They're tied for second.
Speaker 4: Where are they? I mean, what are they doing? Nothing?
Speaker 3: Well, they got to win, and the reality Mayfield is Mayfield wins, he wins the division. But to your point, he was playing, Yeah, he's doubtful, but they actually have a chance of making the playoffs.
Speaker 4: That's fine, but he didn't even play.
Speaker 3: He didn't play last week Tyler hunting.
Speaker 4: Remember jack got missing the plate.
Speaker 5: So he has the second highest quarterback rating at one thirteen point six, behind josh Lamar Jackson one one six. And the reason he is where he's at is amazing because he has ten interceptions. So the ten interceptions did in his quarterback rating. And that was the one game, right? Was that the game they won when he threw am I confusing?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: I thought he? I thought they won a game when he threw five interceptions?
Speaker 3: You're talking about golf?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Or was that Washington?
Speaker 4: What? Somebody? That was Daniels? That was Daniels? Is it Daniels?
Speaker 3: Did he last week?
Speaker 4: The week before last? Yeah? That was that was not that was not against.
Speaker 3: Philadelphia, which kind of hurts.
Speaker 4: He did have a.
Speaker 3: Five interception game at Houston did.
Speaker 5: And they won? Right, Yes, so half of his interceptions were in one game.
Speaker 4: I mean the guy. I'm sorry, guys.
Speaker 6: I never was a golf fan at all, but I love giving credit what credit is due, even if I'm not crazy about it, because I mean, it's about fairness, man, you know it's not and it's not just his numbers. You know, it's the numbers that the team has as well.
Speaker 5: Thirty six touchdown passes.
Speaker 3: You know what, there's a there's a college guy that fits that same profile that you're talking about, and he played yesterday and I don't know what he's going to wind up, even if he'll make it in the NFL or not. But the same sort of narrative going on about Quinn you weres, yeah, Texas right, And how about yesterday?
Speaker 4: Did you see the end of that gu I did?
Speaker 3: How about yesterday when Texas is facing in overtime, fourth and thirteen, they're down, and the narrative on his entire collegiate career basically comes down to one play right there and he throws a touchdown pass that was now the back of the end. And then and then the next play, which was the second overtime, was a touchdown pass to the tight end.
Speaker 5: Who fell down and grabbed his knee like it was coming off the previous catch he made. And then he catches a touchdown pass.
Speaker 4: And that's so funny.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you.
Speaker 6: My brother went to ut and God, he's such a We got to get him ut underwear, We get him everything for good.
Speaker 4: Any everything.
Speaker 5: You just buy it orange.
Speaker 4: Your custody did too, well, yeah, of course he did. But Herky, I think Herky.
Speaker 6: I think Greg is more of a Texas man than Hrcy. This's how much of a fan he is. I mean, he's over. But everyone's waiting on Manning. Yeah right, he's waiting on Manning.
Speaker 4: My brother Greg is waiting.
Speaker 5: On mann That's what goes into the one out there.
Speaker 4: And I'm telling him, dude, US is balling Manning.
Speaker 3: No, he they cannot see. They cannot see the passes that he makes. And I'm not saying he doesn't have his flaws whatever. Obviously everyone looks at those, That's exactly right, and they will not look at they will not great passages.
Speaker 6: My brother and I have had at least three arguments within the since Thanksgiving about yous and I'm not necessarily US fan.
Speaker 4: All I'm saying is.
Speaker 6: Dude, y'all in the playoffs, look where you are now, You're in the semi finals.
Speaker 4: What are you fussing about? You still want Manning?
Speaker 3: And if they if with what coach Shark has done in his career, if he thought that arch Manning is going to give him an opportunity.
Speaker 4: Him in there. Yes, right, he would have had him in there.
Speaker 6: And when you was came back this year, it pissed off the whole Manning clan.
Speaker 5: So that game was so good. I watched the last quarter over again last night, starting at eleven thirty.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, yes, I.
Speaker 5: Got because I was piecing it together here while I was working. It was a lot going on going on, and so I said, I got to watch it all over again.
Speaker 3: I don't understand why they didn't replay it last night on ESPN.
Speaker 5: Well it was on ESPN.
Speaker 3: Well when the Georgia Notre Dame game got postponed, thought they should have just replayed that was on.
Speaker 5: ESPN, you or ESPN one of the other deals. And I watched it. I finished watching that game, and I decided, so when I do my mix shots column, I finish it with somebody gets the last word, and I said, okay, last words my I want cam Scatterboo on my and I want Matthew Golden on my.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 5: That was unbelievable. He said, he drank too much water.
Speaker 3: That's that's why we're on the sideline.
Speaker 6: Well, I was talking about is it golden, the bolden Golden. There's a Golden I was talking about him. He's got that got there and again you come from man, Thank you, Houston, thank you.
Speaker 3: You know why they get You know why they get those wide receivers at.
Speaker 5: Texas because they pay them.
Speaker 3: Besides this the amount of money they pay coming up, man, he won't a quarterback's viewers is a quarterback. That's why they were translating, right, all right, we continue with more mix shots in just a moment, do we have to take a break like that?
Speaker 8: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite.
Speaker 9: What a pairent cam cracks a kickoff tailgates going way past post game Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday Morning Swagger, Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Light and the cool America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Lite, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football, taste like Miller Time, Celebrate responsibly. Twenty twenty three Miliberal Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 5: How do you tell the world about all the great gifts in the Yetti Store? Letter Rip Troy?
Speaker 10: All right, folks, let's get started with Yediy French Press and Joe Colby. This day's hot frivurs and French Press thirty four ans for U six four for the cruise of Yetti French Press. What mixed waterproof bags, bags of waterproofs, some Versta waterproof, Double's Waterprove bag bagsports mostly the water should get a Waterprove Yetti bag Gola. I smell something cooking po new cast iron skillets made to be passed down like Mama's recipes. Take a state cornback commerce pot pine potatoes, next ove o with three sizer of the Yetti cast iron skillets.
Speaker 3: Gear gifts and product experts.
Speaker 11: Visit the Yetti store on McKinney Street and at South Lake Town Square Today.
Speaker 12: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game. Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 4: Kitchen slides for the first down.
Speaker 12: Invest like your icons where everyone is a rookiean crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 3: Perfect throw My goodness, Wow, did he ever thread the needle.
Speaker 12: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 11: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 2: Tomic shuts.
Speaker 6: The Dallas Cowboys honor the legacy of Bob Lilly through the Bob Lilly Award, presentation by Ryan, awarded to the current Cowboy who demonstrates the highest level of achievement, sponsor, sportsmanship, dedication.
Speaker 4: And leadership.
Speaker 6: Cast your vote now and help choose the player who best embodies the qualities that made Bob Lilly one of the greatest Dallas Cowboys of all time. Visit Dallascowboys dot com slash Bob Lilly and cast your vote today.
Speaker 3: All right, Mickey, we had a Mike McCarthy press conference within the last hour anything of note, Well, you'd like to present what.
Speaker 5: Would be one thing you wanted to know out of that press conference if you were there were starting the quarterback?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was the last question, really, David, the last question, and the answer was, I don't know. Well, he answered it first about a question. They've all improved, and they've definitely and definitely Trey has improved, and I like to have Will career back. And then he was finally asked because I think the way you needed to ask it was you probably know who's starting. Are you prepared to tell us?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: So he got asked and he goes, I don't want to talk about it yet. There's competition between the football operations.
Speaker 4: You know what.
Speaker 3: My first question was to him today on taping the Mike McCarthy show that it airs on Saturday night. My first question in was what's happening at quarterback this week?
Speaker 5: He answered it way, yeah, and I just went out to see see how practicing. Well, they just dismissed the media and they're still play and grab ass.
Speaker 4: That's all they're doing.
Speaker 5: They're throwing to the wide receivers. And by the way, at this point when they walked off. Throwing to the wide receivers were Trey Lance and Will Greer.
Speaker 4: So I gotta say those said.
Speaker 5: Again they were thrown to the wide receivers, and those two were throwing. I saw where was Cooper Cooper standing on the side. Now, I don't know if he got his throws in before I went out, and look a you're surprised.
Speaker 3: Well, he didn't say anything about Cooper, but he mentioned Will Greer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Will Green.
Speaker 3: You know what's interesting. You know what's interesting about it. Remember when Will Greer was here before and it was the last preseason game last year, and Will Greer played that game and played a lot that game. They played the entire game. I can't remember. And remember, did he play well that game? No?
Speaker 4: He did not, He did not.
Speaker 3: I think he played better than No. I couldn't remember. I called the game, and I don't.
Speaker 6: Remember because I remember, I'm thinking, this guy really looks good, that's right.
Speaker 3: But then he would make some throws that.
Speaker 4: Were like, uh, what's the backup we have?
Speaker 8: Now?
Speaker 5: He was just like he was just like or Cooper, which he was just like.
Speaker 4: He didn't throw five picks, not five, but he he stunk up the place. Okay, so look good, he gets it.
Speaker 3: But he went into that game knowing that he was doing it for other teams because the Cowboys had already made the trade with San Francisco for Trey Lance, so he knew Trey Lance was taking his place. So now here we are fast forward basically two seasons, the last game of the next season, and we could have a game where Trey Lance and Will Greer play quarterback.
Speaker 5: Yeah, don't you think that's what Cooper?
Speaker 4: I think?
Speaker 3: Would you?
Speaker 6: That's why I think, no, Cooper. That's why I'm not surprised about Cooper be on the sideline.
Speaker 5: Would you start Trey Lance?
Speaker 4: I would you.
Speaker 3: I don't have a problem with it.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean, the only reason you wouldn't at this point would be you don't want him to go out there and play really well. And then he's a free agent and somebody starts giving him some money that maybe you want him back.
Speaker 4: If he starts back too well, then we put Will Gribut.
Speaker 5: It, and I would have Will Grill be the backup.
Speaker 3: And so Cooper is the third quarterback.
Speaker 6: God, I hope they don't need him. I wouldn't even want to see them out.
Speaker 3: There, well, whoever, I would not want If I was Cooper Rush and I was not going to be playing the whole game, I would not want to start the game because I don't want it on my record.
Speaker 4: That you get I wouldn't even want to start.
Speaker 3: But the starting quarterback gets credit or discredit, it goes on his one lost record, I.
Speaker 6: Would not I would not even want to dress out if I was Cooper Bruss.
Speaker 4: You got two.
Speaker 5: Quarterbacks, you can be the inactive third.
Speaker 4: Got two quarterbacks, we're good.
Speaker 6: And if you lose two quarterbacks in this last game, who gives a crap it's the last.
Speaker 5: Game, Well you're probably not.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the other thing you had to look at is who's going to be the backup quarterback next year.
Speaker 6: That's what this game might determine.
Speaker 3: This game, or the last eight games might have determined with Cooper Rush. Cooper Rush got eight starts, so you've seen him. He's gotten plenty of reps to prepare him if he's going to be the backup next year. And now you're at a point it's you're already in twenty twenty five, So if he's going to be your backup quarterback, you don't want an acl injury or anything like that.
Speaker 4: In the last game. If he would be a backup course, I don't know.
Speaker 5: Next year, well you keep your powder dry. It depends again on free agency. If his agent thinks he can find him a job to compete for a starting job somewhere, that's not going to happen. Well, you never know.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of teams.
Speaker 6: Eight teams quarter have to be because of injury or something like that, and nothing on Cooper's abilities. I just don't think he's going to have to be a starter. I think it's a heck of a backup.
Speaker 3: Perfect, especially if the coaching staff remains the same here, it'd be perfect.
Speaker 4: I just don't him as a starter.
Speaker 6: And that's so that's not actually considering the lack of footwork that he has and and lack of you know, athletic ability.
Speaker 4: He does a lot with a little.
Speaker 5: I just think they, look, they did a solid to Zeke. They let him go right so he could maybe latch on with a playoff team. I think Trey has been a good soldier the whole year, Yes he has, so maybe do him a solid and say, okay, we give you this start.
Speaker 4: I think that you've earned it. I think that's happened.
Speaker 5: Now. Then again you go back and have to think, do they think he's ready to do it? We got to take a break right again, because do we take I don't know if I said this, yes, sir or not, but I saw some other quarterbacks get the last game of the season. One of them turned out well and the other two not so well recently in my history of covering the Cowboy.
Speaker 3: I've got one for you, Okay, okay, and we'll talk about that when we come back here on Mixed Shots in just a moment.
Speaker 6: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tail game party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x'es and o's with me Everson Wallas. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package.
Speaker 4: Today.
Speaker 12: Hey Cowboy fans, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. But lately I've been learning a new game Crypto sound confusing, don't worry. Even US pros were rookies and crypto once. That's why I trust blockchain dot Com. They make crypto easy, no confusing jargon, just the tools to help you win.
Speaker 4: Slides for the first down.
Speaker 12: Investigate your icons where everyone is a rookie in crypto with blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 3: Perfect throw my goodness, wow did he ever thread the needle?
Speaker 12: Visit blockchain dot com slash Cowboys to get started.
Speaker 6: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. Want to stay at the team hotel, attend the best tailgate party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package.
Speaker 9: Today Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can cracks? A kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtime followed by.
Speaker 8: Monday morning Swacker Brisket and the Smoker.
Speaker 9: Miller Lite and the Creek, America's team playing America's greatest sport.
Speaker 8: Miller Lit, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 9: Dallas Cowboys Football Taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three.
Speaker 8: Miller Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 2: Dem Shots.
Speaker 6: Golf by Tyler the Creator in coaberation with the Dallas Cowboys is now available at select pro shops and online. Score unique apparel and accessories at a pro shop near you, or log on to shop dot Dallascowboys dot com a fanatics experience Tyler the Creator.
Speaker 4: That's a music guy.
Speaker 5: Right, did you say golf for golf golf golf?
Speaker 3: You're stuck on Jared.
Speaker 5: Golf Golf a line of apparel.
Speaker 3: Daneil Hunter didn't make the Pro Bowl.
Speaker 5: I don't think I saw his name.
Speaker 3: The Houston Texans edge rusher. Looking at the biggest Pro Pro Bowl snubs, and if you look at Mickey's favorite entity, Pro Football Focus, if you look at defensive players win percentage, on the sack rate and the win percentage, Micah Parsons is number two in the league this year, behind Daniel Hunter.
Speaker 5: Oh well, that's right, they're at defensive ends. So the defensive ends that made it were Max Crosby, Miles Garrett, and Trey Hendrickson.
Speaker 3: Didn't he didn't have enough sacks.
Speaker 5: Saying that's the other thing.
Speaker 3: Doesn't matter how.
Speaker 4: Many pressures have about CJ.
Speaker 3: What he didn't make it either.
Speaker 4: He didn't make it.
Speaker 5: No, he made it as an outside linement. Okay, okay, okay, Nick Benido.
Speaker 3: Yep, Oklahoma sooner, Nick Minido, the Denver Broncos.
Speaker 5: And Khalil Mack of the Chargers. So basically they're outside pass.
Speaker 3: Rushers, that's right. They didn't just have the category edge rusher. Yeah, all right, Mickey, you were going to talk about the quarterback.
Speaker 5: Got a chance.
Speaker 4: I'll give you.
Speaker 3: I'll give you one. They got a chance in the last game of the season his rookie year, and they turned out pretty well. Patrick Mahomes last game of the season, last game of the season is rookie year. He didn't play his entire rookie year and got to start in his last game of his rookie year. And because it was a meetingless game in Kansas City, had already clinched whatever.
Speaker 5: He is the first round.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying it turned out pretty well, all right.
Speaker 4: Now, So.
Speaker 3: Trey Lance was a first round draft pick too. That's right, well he he was a higher draft pick than.
Speaker 5: If he gets the chance.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 5: So I think we talked about this the other day. Everson was here for this one nineteen eighty six. Reggie Collier who was drafted in the sixth round by the Way in eighty three by the Cowboys, and then he played three years in the USFL, and then when it folded, the Cowboys inherited his rights and he basically sat the whole eighty sixth season. Got the start the final game of the year against the Bears. He went eight to fifteen ninety six yards a touchdown, two interceptions in three sacks, and we never heard from regular.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, this is just me talking. Tom Landy loved that situation. I think he loves showing the team, media and anyone else who wants to try and usurp his authority.
Speaker 4: I'll show you.
Speaker 5: What this guy came out.
Speaker 4: He'll show you.
Speaker 6: What he can't do. And I think that's a damn shame. You know, Tom was he had such an ego is his pride was bruised very easily when he wanted to show you when you wanted to teach us a lesson.
Speaker 4: Forget the records.
Speaker 6: Forget he would sacrifice his own record and reputation just to show you guys that I'm running this show. And that was what that was all about. You finally start him. The eighty six season was was gone by way before that last yipho.
Speaker 5: It was it's kind of the such situation.
Speaker 6: Here well, and he could have played him much earlier, earlier, and he could have touted him much better, a much better game plan, and he chose not to.
Speaker 5: Because after Danny got hurt, plur did the rest of that season.
Speaker 6: Tom Land, You did the same thing with Gary hogebu. Once we start saying, well we want Gary, we want Gary, we don't want Danny.
Speaker 4: And Tom was like, Okay, I'll give you what you want.
Speaker 6: I'm going to give give you Gary hoga boom, and I'm going to put Gary out there. It's like going into war and you just fell some rabbit out in the middle of the field trying to bomb it.
Speaker 3: That's when he announced that he that he was going to start pos Derek quarterback. He said that did he get to see there's a big It was a big press conference. Everyone was wondering who's going to be the starting quarterback, Danny White, because there was also service, there's also an issue at tackle.
Speaker 4: It was going to start at tackle.
Speaker 3: On his mind.
Speaker 4: He doesn't feel comfortable.
Speaker 3: So he said that pose Derek will start this week at quarterback. I mean, I mean Hogan Bloom, Hogan Blood.
Speaker 5: Not to get off of what we were talking about.
Speaker 4: Again, don't care, Emerson was.
Speaker 5: Not to get off topic.
Speaker 3: But that was.
Speaker 5: That press conference. That press conference was the day I came here to interview for the job at the time, sir, that was that was my interview, nineteen eighty four, eighty four, And they had to put it back two hours because they were training the season preview edition and Danny White was on the cover and they couldn't find the guy covering the Cowboys, and so they had to wait because they had to rewrite the story in the front page. And I was supposed to part of the job. I was in backup on the Cowboys, and I'm going, if I don't call this guy a son of a beat, I might get the job they really need.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: So anyway, the second time I saw it, Anthony Wright the final game of the two thousand season, it was the five and eleven season. Troy was out her Randall Cunningham said he had a hamstring string. He just didn't want to play. So they're playing at Tennessee, and Tennessee is playing.
Speaker 4: For the sacrifice.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, at Tennessee's playing for the first seed in the playoffs. And Anthony Wright goes five of twenty for thirty five yards, two interceptions, four sacks, three fumbles in a thirty one to nothing loss to on Christmas Night in Tennessee Christmas. And then there was the twenty fifteen season that the Cowboys again were going to finish. Did they finish five and eleven or six and ten that year? Romo had already he was done. Remember he played the first two games and he played the two games around Thanksgiving, got hurt again. He was done. They were Matt Castle.
Speaker 3: Little did he know how done he was that point, right, because that was the back that was really hurting him.
Speaker 5: So they start some guy named Kellen Moore, going to give him a shot, right, Kellen Moore. It was his second start. He started the last two games, but he got that start through for four hundred and thirty five yards in that game, three touchdowns, two interceptions in a thirty four to twenty three loss. It was the sixth most yards in a game for a Cowboys quarterback. The only other four hundred plus at that time was at this time was Dak, Meredith, Romo, and Aikman, And so he parlayed that into they were going, all right, So Romo's starting in twenty sixteen, Kellen Moore's the backup, and we're gonna draft this guy in the fourth round, Dak Prescott. And what happens, Kellen Moore breaks his leg, Dak hurts, I mean, Romo gets hurt the back in the preseason game, and Dak's the starter.
Speaker 3: And Dak went into training camp that year fourth on the depth chart, behind that, behind Tony Romo, Kellen Moore, and Jamil Showers.
Speaker 5: And there were people arguing that Jamil Showers should have been the starter after the first because.
Speaker 4: They were was he where did he? Oh?
Speaker 5: He was a they tried to make him wide receiver. Yeah, well, there were people arguing that he was playing better than.
Speaker 3: Dak, that that was how bad Dak was.
Speaker 5: He was so by the way, so we really, you guys were okay with what they did with Zeek, right, I am let him go. That was kind of nice.
Speaker 4: It really was. It really was, you understand.
Speaker 6: I mean, it helps you get rid of, you know, a problem that you kind of didn't want.
Speaker 4: But at the same time you're helping the guy out.
Speaker 5: So and he cleared waivers too, by the way, Ye that's good. So now he can somebody can sign him to their practice squad and well, you know he could go through They at least have two running backs that they can lean on. One's going to the Pro Bowl, right, Gibbs.
Speaker 3: Then we'll see what offers he has u if any. But if he has multiple offers, then he ways on. Okay, how far these team's gonna go? And now he may decide he wants to wait until after next week to sign. You know why. He wants to watch the Buckeyes play Texas next Friday.
Speaker 4: You know that would be just like Zeke.
Speaker 3: You know, I'll sign with you, But can I wait until after next Friday?
Speaker 4: I want to watch my buck eyes?
Speaker 5: Well, how about yesterday? What they kept They keep showing people on the sidelines, so I didn't watch the whole game. Did they ever show McConaughey. Again, I didn't in the game. I didn't notice, but Plumber. They showed him twice cheering, and he was watching the game on the sideline. You can't see the game on the sideline. Why would you want to watch on the sideline.
Speaker 6: You can see it, but you just don't. You don't get all the nuances that come with it.
Speaker 4: You don't.
Speaker 6: You don't see what happened right after the play. You see the play, but you don't see what happens you know, before that and after that, those things.
Speaker 5: I remember when I was doing the sideline for the preseason games and they got down to the goal line and I'm standing right with the referee or the official on the goal line right and now they got a judge if the guy scored or not. I'm sitting there going b yes, you can't tell. Don't even be putting your arms.
Speaker 6: I was on sidelines for a game. They like, they're going so fast. I mean, like, why the hell did I do this? They looked like they were going so fast, and Barry saying this is like whoa, this is crazy.
Speaker 5: And it looked like it hurt too. By the way, all right, that does it?
Speaker 4: That does it?
Speaker 3: How about we do it again tomorrow?
Speaker 5: Are we working tomorrow, I believe.
Speaker 4: So, yes you are. We are working.
Speaker 5: We are your schedule, and don't forget you're working Saturday too.
Speaker 4: By the way. Oh I'm ready for Saturday. Okay yeah, hell he's not ready for tomorrow. Is fun? Yeah, this is all right.
Speaker 3: So we'll shut at you again tomorrow at high noon on Mixed Shots No.
Speaker 4: Cowboys, the Mixed Shock.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.