Speaker 1: You're listening to the Ravens Press Pass podcast, and today the Ravens introduced they're big free agent acquisition, King Henry. Running back Dereck Henry arrived in Baltimore and officially signed his new contract to join the squad, and the Ravens are clearly fired up about this move. The Ravens held a press conference this morning with Dereck Henry, head coach John Harbaugh, and general manager Eric Dacassa. Here's that press conference.
Speaker 2: Okay, everybody, welcome, thanks for coming in today. We're here to celebrate the signing of Derrick Henry, player that we faced multiple times over the last five to seven years, and a player that we've always admired. We've had a chance to watch him up close and also from AFAR. Were thrilled to bring him here to Baltimore. Congrats to him and also his beautiful family. John, guys, just a.
Speaker 3: Follow up on that, I mean, wonderful family. It has been fun getting to know you guys today and we're just thrilled and proud to have you here. I'm trying to figure out who's more excited on our staff, the offensive coaches, a defensive coaches. You know, the offensive coaches are pretty fired up at the defensive coaches. They don't have to tackle this guy anymore. So it's just a it's just great for our team. It's gonna make a difference for us when other players are excited, but we can't wait to get started.
Speaker 4: So for me, I'm grateful for his opportunity. This is a great organization. Uh, my family still with me, my girlfriend Adriana, my daughter Valentina and Adriana, my mom, Miss Simona. Like he said, like I said, has some great battles against the Ravens for five to seven years. And happy and grateful to be a part of it. God is good and blessed for this opportunity.
Speaker 5: Questions, Derek, you.
Speaker 6: Know there's a lot talking about you and Lar being on the same What kind of offense can you envision having you know, booth.
Speaker 7: You guys you know as a handle?
Speaker 4: Oh well, he's he he's so dynamic and and how he plays and uh his playmaking ability especially you know, meet me seeing it going against these guys for uh a little while now, so excited to uh to play with him. He had a great year this year, did a lot of great things. I'm gonna have a lot of great guys uh in the offense, and I just wanna be I adding piece to this offense to uh uh to help them uh do do do better than did last year. And right now, just trying to focus on coming in, earn earning my earn the respect for my teammates.
Speaker 5: Eric, we've been into the decision to.
Speaker 4: To come here for Yeah, it really was a uh a no brainer for me. This is where I I I knew I wanted to be. I love the style, the physicality that they played with on all three phases. I feel like it uh fits my my style of play as well.
Speaker 7: Uh and it was really a no brainer.
Speaker 4: Just trying to figure out the business side of things and glad we're able to get it figured out.
Speaker 8: Ok Aron, how did you feel the TA or I'm gonna be a lacking out the bad stage?
Speaker 5: What was your sponsor after that?
Speaker 4: Tell 'em to keep watching you know, uh, look at you?
Speaker 7: You still here so so.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean if people always gonna have something to say, oh, I gonna have opinions, i'm'a su you're uh ready to work, ready to get things started and do my best to to help this organization.
Speaker 9: Your homeport.
Speaker 1: Was it to be a part of a team that's insistant contender in your decision making during this.
Speaker 4: Sum Yeah, definitely, wanna be somewhere that had a solid foundation, and you know, this foundation has been set for a very long time and they compete every year and and and always in the conversation, and wanna be somewhere where I'm surrounded by uh by great talent have ah uh a great quarterback and great players around him as well. So you know, I'm just excited for this, for this opportunity, and bless and and thankful to be able to land here there.
Speaker 7: Could congratulations on him.
Speaker 6: Wondering could you quantify the week that you've had signing justin and then getting the guy that you come in for a long time and Derek, I mean last year with Lamar signing was big, but you got two and one week.
Speaker 5: Where does that rank for you as a GM as far as the week is?
Speaker 2: Oh Man, we've had some ups and downs over the last five years. So we've had some huge weeks, We've had some bad weeks. This is kind of a in some ways remarkable, great exciting we've but we've also lost what eight players excellent players as well. So it's always bittersweet this time of year.
Speaker 9: You win some, you lose some.
Speaker 2: We keep swinging, blessed to get Justin done, blessed to get Derek done. You know, I feel like both those guys are slam dunks and saying that, you know, I want to also, you know, celebrate, you know, Patrick Queen, John Simpson, Geno Stone, Gus ed Which, Ronald Dorby, Tyler Ott Morgan, Moses, Devin Dumanet. Those guys helped us win a lot of games over the last five years, all Ravens in different ways, different backgrounds, So you know, there's always it's always kind of a tough give and take this time of year.
Speaker 9: But we're blessed today to be here with Derek.
Speaker 10: Eric you talked to start about, you know, your experience going against Derek Henry. You know about his resume, but how much did your you know, your up close and personal experiences playing against him going to the decision to bring me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'll tell you in twenty nineteen, we played that game and it was, you know, just a gut wrenching performance.
Speaker 9: I think we all kind of realized that.
Speaker 2: But I was at the Senior Bowl and I left the senior ball and met our team, our coaching staff and a lot of players at the Pro Bowl, and I had the chance as a as a general manager to just observe. And I saw Derek that week, and I watched him, and I watched how the other players related to him.
Speaker 9: I washed and saw his humility.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is a guy that ran for like I don't know how many yards that season, and all the players kind of gravitated towards him that week, and there was a tremendous respect, and that resonated with me as a guy whose scouts for a living, and I just, you know, having a chance to kind of step aside and watch his career unfold, it's been very, very impressive to me.
Speaker 3: Eric, you got Derrick Cameron and Moore.
Speaker 10: Jackson's the goal, the out priority kind of built the offensive line to be a blot for these guys.
Speaker 9: That's mind you to, right.
Speaker 2: That's always going to be the priority, is the offensive line, you know.
Speaker 9: I think in two thousand.
Speaker 2: And eight when we hired John, one of the first things he said to me was we need a big, strong, physical, athletic offensive line.
Speaker 9: And that's never really changed.
Speaker 2: And so that will be the mission in the coming weeks to build that out.
Speaker 9: I think we're on our way. I think we have a good plan.
Speaker 2: We're fortunate that this draft classics pretty good from that standpoint. I don't want to call it historically strong, but it looks like a very strong crop of offensive linemen. And I say this every year, but as a wise man once said, we don't play games September.
Speaker 9: We'll be ready.
Speaker 3: There was so much talk about how the running back carget with Shike Gallup, who are a lot of quality players.
Speaker 5: But did you go in knowing this was the guy.
Speaker 3: That you wanted.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I had a good indication. I mean, to be honest.
Speaker 2: We tried to trade for Derek, you know, before the trade deadline. I thought there was a reasonable chance that we would get a trade done.
Speaker 9: It didn't work out.
Speaker 2: It was disappointing, but we pivoted. You know, but again, when you evaluate the tape, you watch the player, you see the history of the player, you talk to people who have been around the player. It made all the sense in the will for us to target Derek John.
Speaker 4: How will the.
Speaker 6: Addition of Derek Kinty just changes the look of the offense. I mean you still feel that you'll mainly go pistol, will you go more under center?
Speaker 5: How much could that change just loll go the offense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I think you always try to build the offense around the players that you have, So you know, when Derek does really exceptionally well, is going to be where we're gonna kind of move towards. But we're versatile. We can go in a lot of different different directions. That's what Lamar makes us versatile. And I also think kind of what we've been doing along those lines, wor kind of fit this guy really well. You know, it's not just his specific talents, because he can you can run out of any kind of backfield set. He can be in the pistol, he can be he can be onder, he can be in the gun, he can move around. That's that's all things he's just said. Versatile player. But more than that, I just think that the person that the guy that loves football, you know, that fits us really well too. He's this tough, physical guy, but you know, you played the high school he played at, you played the college he played at. You know where he's been with Tennessee. The kind of leader he's been everybody you talk to talks about him in terms of a guy just loves football, is about football, wants to compete, wants to do his best, wants to do everything he can to help the team win. You know, That's that's kind of what it's all about here, and that's I'm most excited probably about that we move there.
Speaker 5: Have you spoken to Lamar Jackson?
Speaker 11: I know Marlon Humphrey had a back and forth on social You go, what other players on this team that you spoken for.
Speaker 5: The last few days?
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, may have social media, guy, Marlin podcast social media.
Speaker 3: Let's make that Yeah.
Speaker 4: Man Violin definitely, uh we we We've texted, h talked to social media. Uh Rannie reached out. I got to know him through throughout the years. I haven't spoken till tomorrow, but I'm sure he's busy and enjoying his off season. I mean we'll connect at some point, but yeah, just excited for opportunity and you know, ready to meet by my teammates.
Speaker 7: And earn the respect or you.
Speaker 11: Eric said last year before trade Lightning lineup, they thought they gave you were you captain breast of those conversations. Was there a point there where you thought you were gonna be Raven before last year'street deadline.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I thought it was a good chance.
Speaker 4: I was I was going to be didn't really know uh when it when it was gonna happen, and it was conversations and things going on, but you know, I was just really just just focus on the season if and anything came this pivot and get ready for whatever whatever that was gonna happen. But it it, it didn't happen. But you know, I'm I'm a raving now, so that's all that matters. And you know, get ready to go to work, Derek.
Speaker 10: Everybody seems to love the idea of you next to Lamar Jackson in the backfield. For you as the player, what does what is the benefit for you being next to a guy like Tomorrow who is who's as.
Speaker 4: Mobile as he in Yeah, I wanna make any uh predictions and any expectations I think, just put into work.
Speaker 12: Uh.
Speaker 4: And and I'm big on earning my respect for my teammates. And I know I've said that repeatedly, but that's all I wanna do is I own respect from everybody in this building. I'm stronger that I'm I'm ready to to come work, help everybody get better than any aspect that I can be a leader in any type of way by the way I carry myself and by the way I work on the field, in the weight room and be a tentative tentatifferent meetings, help the young guys in any way I can, and you know, just just go out and work and do the best I can to help Lamar in any way I run the football protecting him and help my teammates anywhere as well. So that you know, that's my main ft focus and I'm definitely excited to be the side Lamar in the same offense.
Speaker 2: A lot of mayors of being.
Speaker 5: Lamar h dropped up. Uh have that you You ever talked.
Speaker 6: About the possibility with the stand up and the dreams of community.
Speaker 5: Potentially playing together.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean I I've definitely thought about it.
Speaker 4: You know, he's uh uh one of the best and not the best uh players in this league. You know, I have respect for him ever since he's he's come in this league and his body of work and what he's been been able to do, and and respect for this organization as well. Have some great players organiza organization, just just like themar who's done a lot of great things. Uh Mark Andrews at tight end, uh Rock corn Smith at at the line of recquisitions from great leaders guys, Whal said a good example. So excited to be teammates with with everybody, and excited to get in the RB room and get to to get to know those guys and be able to compete against them.
Speaker 7: And all all of us make each other better.
Speaker 5: On their side, everyone auvers farm tail. What's it like for you in your vision of the Ravens And.
Speaker 8: On the other side, how do you view the Raives from?
Speaker 12: Uh?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean bucket your chin strap.
Speaker 4: You're ready for a sixty minute fight and knowing that you know you're gonna take some licks and have to give some licks. And every every time we played on it was physical, and uh you know, we had to have a great gay plan to uh prepare for these guys, especially on defense cause they give you so many different looks. And then our defense getting ready for Lamar and how you gotta game playing against him. So I'm definitely glad to be on the other side.
Speaker 11: No, so yeah, what what what do you think is the key to long chevity for running backs? Because not many running backs can do, especially what you've done even in at the during this in the stage of your career.
Speaker 5: What do you think is the key for fort that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, really, I think it's taking care of your body, doing the things you need to do, get your body prepare year in and year out, weekend and week out and every single day, and making sure that you feel the best to be able to perform at your best, creating good habits with eating healthy, and you know, as you get into the league, you know, just do more research on you know, guys who played a long time and be a sponge to guys at the run back position or anywhere else and see what they've done and try to implement it into your life as well. And that's all I try to do. And you know, I feel great. I'm blessed to be able to be going into year nine and getting this opportunity, so just want to take advantage of it and do my best that I can.
Speaker 11: John, You've allow yourself to think about your dark situations with him and possibly running behind that retard and how much dress that could put on a defense, and how it's not your problem anymore to.
Speaker 5: Have to tackle with you.
Speaker 3: I do allow myself to think about all those things, and I think about it with a smile on my face. But it'll be It'll be great game planning wise. It's going to give us a lot of options. We have a lot of like Derek was talking about, we've got a lot of a lot of playmakers, and our offensive line is going to be big and physical and tough and good. So we're looking forward to it.
Speaker 13: A lot of the lines, you know, I think you're seeing in the division, maybe across the NFL teams get faster at that.
Speaker 5: Second level to kind of accunt for quarterbacks like lamarm and.
Speaker 13: Is there any you know, pleasure for you and kind of having a counter punch of a guy that's big, physical last year being the kind of counter munch to everyone that's smaller, faster or maybe on defense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, that's a good observations. It's one way to look at it. We always talk about attacking the full width of the field in terms of the run game, but also the past game, and that does start in the A gap to your point, But a great thing about Derek Henry, it doesn't end in the A gap. It's the B gap to see gap to de gap, the edge all the way out to the sideline. We saw that in London this past year on that fake reverse that you guys hit on us. So h this is this is the back that can do everything you know, and and you know he can. He can he can change the game for you. So we're excited about it. I'm looking forward to.
Speaker 6: Eric.
Speaker 11: Do you have any kind of timetable for the return Keith Mitchell And given that he's out.
Speaker 14: For some time, is the search still on at yet another running back into this mix for that first part of the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I think Keaton's doing really well. You know, we'll see obviously significant knee injury, but we have some experience with that. You know, I've gotten some updates from our trainers and doctors and we feel like he's on path to come back at some point in this season. Running back wise, you know, we'll assess the market like we always do. There's some players out there still that are pretty interesting players. The draft is also another way for us to get better, and we'll attack it in different ways depending on the situation, depending on the value that we see. You know, we've drafted guys, we've signed on drafted free agents, we've traded for running backs, and there's a lot of different ways to skin the cats, so to speak, so.
Speaker 9: We'll look at it.
Speaker 2: We feel really good about Justice too, Justice Hill, who's one of the unsung heroes of our team, I would say, in twenty twenty three, so the coverage is not bought, not bear and we got this guy, so I think we're in good shape.
Speaker 12: Derevin, was it difficult watching ten other running backs come off free agency in day one and even Tony Pollard going to where you were not being able to say what you were going to do?
Speaker 8: And did you even know what you were going to do when all these things were happening in a couple of days ago.
Speaker 4: No, I wasn't too overwhelmed about it, you know. I just prayed about it and ask God to put me where I needed to be and I trusted to believe in that process and knew it would happened. But as other running backs going off the market, very happy for those guys, you know, trying to keep it as a brotherhood with running backs and especially with this day and age and happen to those guys get paid, and knowing that at some point, my my my chances are come and I'll get my opportunity and I was hoping that it would be here and then you know it, it all worked out.
Speaker 7: So I was happy.
Speaker 8: Whatever something you build off of back questions, cause you've heard a lot over the last few years about her position being devalued.
Speaker 5: The frustrated in contract negotiations and everything. And just see on day one, you know.
Speaker 8: So many of your brother go to running backs and so it's not in the first couple of days.
Speaker 5: Is that a positive thing for you?
Speaker 8: Do you feel did you view that as as something that was good for your positions of getting paid into earn contracts.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I was definitely happy to see uh uh those guys go go out the market pretty fast.
Speaker 4: I think that speak volumes that you know, the running back position is it still needed even though you know it that doesn't seem like it.
Speaker 7: You know, you still gotta be able to run the ball.
Speaker 4: This guy have so gotta have a guy who could change, uh change the game and in any matter uh of the game. And you know, I feel like the guys who signed those contracts that if you can do that, and I think it it was recognized and very happy for those guys because you know, we definitely wanna be able to, you know, have a market where it is fair and uh, we are a value for the future as well for guys who's coming up after us.
Speaker 13: Eric a couple of years ago to me, if you can talk about how running back is a great own position for work, it's really hard for guys.
Speaker 5: To stay up.
Speaker 11: Is Derek just, based.
Speaker 13: On his back record, one of those guys who seems to defive what's happens to the folks at that position.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think that's right.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know, we're talking about a guy who's missed very, very little time in his career. He's kind of a unicorn, to be honest. His combination of speed, power, durability. You know, he's thrived in different systems and done different things.
Speaker 9: He's one wherever he's.
Speaker 2: Been and and uh, you know, those kind of guys are rare. I mean, we've had some here in Baltimore. They're just different from everybody else. And I think Derek's a good example of that.
Speaker 11: Derek, after all the years and Tennessee and be in the same place, what do you see as the biggest challenge joining a new team after being.
Speaker 2: Somewhere so long?
Speaker 4: I think, Uh, you know, when you've been somewhere eight years, I mean, you know this changes with uh, the people in the organization, you know, just getting to know everybody, getting everybody to know me. Know this is the culture and how they do things around here, which I don't think will be hard. I think, you know, I'll get acclimated pretty quick by the guys around here.
Speaker 7: Here is very family already ended, uh a great brotherhood.
Speaker 4: But no, not really so much worried about that, but just excited for for for what's in store and getting getting to know everybody and get getting the swing of things. And I'm trying to help it anyway as possible.
Speaker 10: Here John, we know how physical these AFC North games can be. You guys pride yourself of being a physical running team. Just how tired they you to have never probably the most physical back uh in those games.
Speaker 3: Yeah, these could fit in the AFC North, but uh, you know we're they were They were in the AFC North at one time, weren't They are the same so they this this rivalry.
Speaker 2: For a long time about that, Jami, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: I mean you're talking historically kind of your point. It's there's a long story in history. You know, this kind of football being played by these teams. So it continues.
Speaker 9: Eric, you said you wanted to solidify the oupenive line.
Speaker 5: You said that product aren't going You're going.
Speaker 11: To get it back, and you got Derrick Henry. Is there anything on the receiver front, I mean there's a report you maybe looking for Ebo Samuel.
Speaker 7: Or another veteran.
Speaker 5: Can you comment on where you're at there?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think you know that specific reports. Probably I read the Lorax last week at a local elementary school, and I would probably put that report that similar to that. But I think you know, the hunt goes on when you're trying to find good football players and uh, you know, whether that's a receiver, offensive line, pass rushers, corners, whatever it is. I think that, you know, the challenge for us is to find the money, find the right player, find a perfect match on the field. Off the field, we know we have the draft as of right now, I think we have nine picks. We moved up a little bit and the fourth which I think is gonna be advantageous for us. Moving from the bottom of the fourth to the top third of the fourth round should be a better player.
Speaker 9: So I do see opportunity for us to uh to get back at the draft.
Speaker 2: Last year was kind of leaning with the draft in terms of the amount of picks we had. I think this year will be a good chance for us to kind of augment the roster with good, young, cheap talented football players.
Speaker 13: I think Fourth free to see your team and Taylor, who wants to he can really see you even as marketers like he didn't think he would like to rehi and work here.
Speaker 5: Was that I think you know, are even kind of comfortable with it? Was everything that is offer will.
Speaker 7: Probably have for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm I'm definitely comfortable, confident in my ability, confident to adjust, and you know, uh excited for for Weston store Taylor. Taylor is very opinionated these days, has his opinion on on a lot of stuff. But uh, you know, I'm very confident my ability. Wow, but this is his his his occupation.
Speaker 14: So yeah, Parrish, you guys have you guys have been with this organization for so long, especially and the list of great running backs, I mean it's a long one here, but this is arguably the greatest running in this franchise history. Where would you you know, kind of I guess put him, you know, on the list of running backs that I mean he will suit up for the Raiders.
Speaker 2: Oh well, I'm not I'm not really gonna rank. I mean, I think it's it's not something that I typically will do. It's like ranked players especially, you know, but this guy is a warrior and he's right up there with the very best we've ever had.
Speaker 9: Certainly, we've had a.
Speaker 2: Number of outstanding players throughout the years. I mean had multiple guys offensive player of the Year in the league, whether we're that's with somebody else. I mean, even a guy like Priest Holmes, but we had, you know, so many great ones.
Speaker 4: This guy.
Speaker 2: Unbelievable player. Excited to see what he does. It's a brotherhood, like he said, And I know that we have a lot of guys the legends, the Baltimore Legends, running back legends, are going to be cheering for this guy from day one.
Speaker 9: And that's exciting.
Speaker 5: First time you've won on her whole legs.
Speaker 4: How'd you like the no? I actually told coach Harborough this funny story. This is actually the suit I wore to my grandmother's funeral, who raised me. She died in twenty sixteen, and this is our favorite color. So whenever Eric told me that I would be coming to do a press, I was like, I gotta wear this suit. So we're actually moving this next week. So I was scramming through boxes, pulling everything out, trying to find.
Speaker 7: This suit and be able to put it together. So you know, yeah, I definitely.
Speaker 4: Wanted to wear this color to honor her and show with all the fans around Fault Nature.
Speaker 7: I'm ready, I'm on board.
Speaker 9: I'm exciting.
Speaker 5: Do you think she would be that you signed with the Ravens or in her favorite color?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's she She's definitely excited. The day before a free agency, we were outside in my yard, uh playing. I was outside playing with my daughter. My grandmother loved butterflies and Tennessee, I ul always see a butterfly, uh every practice, and you know the house we lived in out never saw one since we've been there. We've been there going on two years. And that day a butterfly just flew around me like constantly, and you know, I knew that. I I was kind of like a reminder that you know, she was around and everything was gonna be alright. So I was felt good.
Speaker 10: Lane.
Speaker 5: I wanted to ask you about your grandmother and just with your upbringing, how do you think the lessons that she's imparted on you?
Speaker 10: What help you that you navi.
Speaker 5: Against this new situation.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well I come from uh a hard working and UH supportive family, and I already trusting and believe in the men above that how that he would leave me in the right direction and never leave me wrong. So she she raised me to always put God first, trust him, believe in his plan, and it's not always your time, is his time, and his time is always perfect. So that's why I always believe in and you know, she raised me to, you know, always have great manners, be respectful, be respectful and earn everything that I want out of life, and never give up on my dream and what I want to accomplish.
Speaker 11: Eric, Eric North was the best division of all last year out with with you guys and Derek Henri and the other teams what they've done.
Speaker 5: How much better do you think this division has already gotten better?
Speaker 9: We can be able to see, you know, I haven't really studied it. I mean I've seen some movement.
Speaker 2: Obviously, a few of our competitors have taken some of our players, you know, happens every year. I mean every year we look at the AFC nor if they draft well, they sign good players. They have a way of doing things. But let's not forget we'll be there too. And I love our team.
Speaker 9: I love our roster. We have some challenges ahead, but we're gonna be ready to plan in sept.
Speaker 1: So we're excited to have Derek Henry here in Baltimore. I think he's going to be a great fit for this team. We actually sat down with him for an episode of the Lounge Podcast and you can check that out wherever you find your podcast, Just head over there to the Lounge Podcast feed, hit that subscribe button. Also leave a rating and a review. Thanks for listening, and stay tuned for more in the coming days and weeks.