Speaker 1: Hi, and welcome back to the Carol Marco which show on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: My guest today is Ed Morrissey.
Speaker 1: He is the managing editor of Hot Air and the author of Going Red.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 2: Ed's so nice to have.
Speaker 1: You on, Carol.
Speaker 4: It's great to talk to you again.
Speaker 1: We've known each other a million years, like really a million in internet in the internet world, way before there was a Twitter or an ex We got to know each other in.
Speaker 2: The blog world.
Speaker 1: And there's been one or two changes since then, would you say that, couple?
Speaker 4: There have been a few changes over the years. Yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 4: You know it's been. It's been one heck of a ride. Actually, you know it's I wouldn't have traded it for anything else. This is it's been a great experience.
Speaker 1: You've always been very positive and I always enjoyed that about you.
Speaker 2: You've been in Hot Air how long now.
Speaker 4: Well, I've been at hot Air now it would be seventeen years, and say.
Speaker 1: Seventeen years and internet land is like one hundred years.
Speaker 4: I'm ancient, Carol. I have reached the old man shaking fist at cloud stage of my life and I am fully willing to come on here and say get off my damn lawn and turn down your radios.
Speaker 2: And but you don't say that very often.
Speaker 1: I feel like, again, I think I see you as very like positive, optimistic.
Speaker 2: Just you know, a friend to all. Would would that be accurate?
Speaker 4: I certainly hope. So that would be a lovely way to actually have come across in life, so that it's encouraging. So yes, I mean that's my aim. I don't know how well I pulled that off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So how did you get your start in writing or in media?
Speaker 4: Well, I've always wanted to do writing, and it's just a question of what kind of writing that you want to do, right, And so I thought I'd be a short story guy, and that didn't work out. Number of a number of rejections from all of the leading magazines from that era, Yeah, told me that that wasn't going to be my path. And then I was trying to novels and I wrote three of them, and you know, Garth Brooks has this song it says thank God for unanswered prayers. Yeah, I am so happy that none of those three are actually out where anybody because they weren't good, you know. And then I took up blogging, honestly, Initially the thought was I need to be more disciplined about writing every day. You know, I was a call center manager at the time. I was actually not unhappy with that career. But I don't want to write, and I thought at some point I want to publish a book, and I thought, well, the way to do that is to, you know, get in the habit of writing every day. And then blogging came along. I started doing.
Speaker 2: That and here did you start?
Speaker 4: Late two thousand and three and.
Speaker 2: What was your Your blog was called Captain.
Speaker 4: Captain's Quarters, Captain's Right Up, and it was it was. It was an ongoing thing from two thousand and three to two thousand and eight. When I came aboard hot Air, you know, they required me to shut down the old blog and redirect the traffic to hot air. But it's still out there. I think right now there's some difficulty in accessing the archives, but I do pay to have the archives maintains interesting.
Speaker 1: Wow, so I don't have my blog was called Alarming News. I don't have it anymore.
Speaker 2: I let my domain name lap.
Speaker 1: Somebody snapped up that domain name and I don't have archives of any of it. And I feel mixed about that, because like I would like to go back sometimes and look at what I maybe wrote in the past. On the other hand, I find a lot of the just the way I used to speak very embarrassing. Or when I see like old Facebook, you know, status messages from fifteen years ago, I'm like, oh.
Speaker 2: God, that was awful. I talk like that.
Speaker 4: I don't understand why you feel that way, because I loved Alarming News, and I thought you did a great job there.
Speaker 1: But but you know that when you when you read the past, you the way like just the way I would turn a phrase or yes, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know very yah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I go through the same thing looking at my old stuf too, But but I mean, Alarming News was great. I loved the Alarming News and it was great domain name, which is the reason why I got snapped up. I don't think anybody's going to snap up Captain's quartersblog dot com.
Speaker 2: But you know, you never know.
Speaker 4: I use it for some email purposes, to personal email purposes, so I just keep the I keep the site running, and I think I need to alert them that it's not coming up. You know, it was like a few months ago I realized that there was some issues with it. It's a high priority for me that I still haven't filed AATA, of course, but eventually I will because I do like to go back and look at it from time to time.
Speaker 1: So what do you see as like the major change from those days.
Speaker 4: Well, I think, you know, it's more professional, right. I think substack has a little bit of what the blog Yes, right, substack is kind of what the old blog is beer was like. But I got professional and the reason was because we all got better at what we do. You got professional. I got professional, and it's because we we learned. And you know, those of us who survived that era exactly so, because you know, we we were able to improve ourselves over time and remain dedicated to it. A lot of people just had lives, right they were, but they just had lives.
Speaker 2: Yeah they had data, Yeah, no lives. That was life. But I remember that.
Speaker 1: Era of when bloggers started going professional and they just they like the major you know what we call the mainstream news outlets started MSM started hiring bloggers and that was the end of it, really, and it was for me. It was actually w n y C Public Radio in New York. They needed like a token conservative and they hired me and the Post hired me from there, and it was, you know, kind of the end of that for me. But yeah, it was the people that were really good got snapped up. I'm not saying I was really good.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying that's that's.
Speaker 4: Kind of how it was really good because you were really good.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: But Hot Air has been so instrumental for so long and so in the mix of the conversation.
Speaker 2: Is that hard to maintain? Just just the sheer length of time that you guys have been around is impressive.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you. First off, I appreciate that. It's it's you know, it takes an effort, right, and from time to time we fall back a little bit. From time to time we catch up a little bit. And I think that you know, we were brought up by again, we were brought up by Salem fifteen years ago, just a little over fifteen years ago, and which is great. I love Salem. I was working with Salem prior to that and local radio, and then now I work for Salem and I'm very happy about that. And they've challenged us from time to time and they said, you know, one of the things that made hot air. So I'm trying to think of the word that they use. But basically what us was the fact that we were able to react fast to it, right.
Speaker 1: Right, I'm going to say timely, But that wasn't quite the I knew what you were looking for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that we could jump on emerging stories with you know, some basis of already acquired knowledge and comments on it intelligently immediately.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: Sometimes we forget that and we get a little bit too lost in our think pieces.
Speaker 2: Sure, right, there.
Speaker 1: Is something about that immediacy that we've we've lost. I mean, I guess we have it on X now, but then it's not quite the same as as the blog post of the of that era and what.
Speaker 2: Hot air does.
Speaker 1: It's like I'll see something that I want to write about, I'll write it, and then four days later it comes out you know in some some outlets.
Speaker 2: That's that's a lag.
Speaker 1: You know, that's not the immediacy of getting it up on your site and having people react right away exactly.
Speaker 4: And sometimes we have to sometimes internally we have to remind ourselves of that is that the thing pieces are great, but stuff that could run today tomorrow or that are you know later in the week generally aren't what is driving eyeballs to the site right now. And so I mean you have to have a mix because I think that those thing pieces are incredibly important, so that we can to a certain extent philosophies about what our approach is going to be when breaking news stories actually come up. We've kind of firmed up in our minds that, you know, how we're going to approach things. Yeah, but you still have to be on top of the news cycle. And that's that's the trick. You know, it's hard to stay on top of a new cycle, especially lately.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, that's like a mile a minute.
Speaker 3: Israel is still under attack. Missile fire has resumed from Huti's has Bulah and Hamas enemies teeking Israel's destruction. Here in America, we cannot imagine living under a constant threat of terrorism and rocket attacks. This is the reality in Israel. Parents taking their children to school, falling to the ground to lay on top of their small children, trying to comfort them as sirens blair. The next attack against Israel is happening now with little time to prepare, So we must act now. That's why I'm partnering with the International Fellowship of Christians and Jews to help provide life saving aid and security essentials. Your urgently needed gift today will help provide security essentials like bomb shelters, black jackets, and bulletproof vests for first responders, armored security vehicles, ambulances and more. Join me in standing with Israel. Call to make your gift.
Speaker 5: At eight eight eight four eight eight IFCJ that's eight eight eight four eight eight four three two five, or online at SUPPORTIFCJ dot org to give one word support IFCJ dot org.
Speaker 4: What do you consider your be You know, for me, I consider myself a generalist, right. I try to write about lots of different things because lots of different things interest me. But I think, you know, hot era. I mean, I think the beat is really the breaking news cycle, right, and that's again we have to kind of attune ourselves to that. But I like to write about the economy. I like to write about you know, policy, Policy is really what matters most to me. I'm not big on the personality driven type of stuff in politics. I'm more driven by policy and philosophy, you know, ideology, whatever you want to call it. And then you know, I do other things to amuse myself. I used to write quite a few more film reviews than I have lately, just because I just haven't had time to go out to the movie theaters.
Speaker 2: Not because films are bad.
Speaker 4: Now, well, it's kind of fun to write reviews for bad films, I have to admit, but.
Speaker 2: Not the watching of the bad film I watched that.
Speaker 1: My movie watching has like plummeted to zero, just because every movie I watch is so bad.
Speaker 2: And then I and.
Speaker 1: It's always like the critically acclaimed movies that I watch, and they're just terrible, and I can't do it anymore.
Speaker 4: Don't even get me started on the Shape of Water. It was so bad when I when I got back to my house and wrote the review, which I did the night I watched.
Speaker 2: That, like giggling as you wrote it.
Speaker 4: I was more grinding my teeth as I wrote it. And I wrote in there, this is so bad. I predict it's going to win a lot of awards this coming season. Of course, one's Best Oscar, Best Picture Oscar, and I actually pulled that forward after it won just to say I told you so. But it's kind of fun too. It's kind of fun to be that critical to feel the release of being that critical. Sometimes when you really love a movie, you're kind of defending it to a certain extent. Yeah, So, I mean that's a trap. I mean you have to recognize that if you're going to write criticism, you have to recognize that that's a trap. You have to be fair, right, right. You can't just.
Speaker 2: You know, I love this movie, the act on stuff that you.
Speaker 4: Don't like and this, oh you know, just skip the fact that this film I really love doesn't have an act two and half of it. Act three is missing as well.
Speaker 2: I overlooked it. Why can't your actly? Yeah, what do you worry about?
Speaker 4: You don't worry about being wrong, you know. To me, it's I mean, everybody's wrong. Everybody makes mistakes. I'm not so much worried about making a factual mistake, although that's always embarrassing when you have to go correction. I'll tell you what I did just recently was kind of fun. I had written something about what Tara Palmery wrote. She had interviewed Michael Rosa, who was a Biden aide, and he was He admitted in a public forum while she was interviewing that that they were kind of gaslighting people about Biden, right, And she had written this thing at Puck saying, wow, this is kind of a big deal, right, and I wrote this thing. I said, well, she didn't really get the context, right, that wasn't just about twenty twenty four where their gaslighting thing, and go all the way back to twenty nineteen and this and that and the other thing. She ends up dming me on Twitter and asked just so that she she asked if I could include her YouTube thing that went with it. I was like, oh, yeah, sure, and we ended up. She ended up. I ended up interviewing R and QQ a few days later and it was great. But I realized while I was adding the YouTube that I had misspelled her name throughout the entire post as Paul Meery. Right. So I said, by the way, I apologize, I've misspelled your name all the way through this, And she said, did you, Jennifer pauiery me. This is all you know, I particularly this is sort of off the record, but we discussed it on air, so I'm assuming she's fine with this. It was all in good humor, and I said yes, and you know, I tweeted it yes, and then Hank's head in shame, you know, in parenthesis.
Speaker 2: Right, So you're such a good guy, like I just you're too.
Speaker 4: Good for all of this, honestly, you know, it's it's those kind of human moments that sort of make it fun, you know, And then you have the people who are pills who you just decide that I'm just not going to I'm just not going to engage people that are miserable and and I don't want to. I don't want to talk about those examples because it's you know, that person should be those people should be on this podcast if we're going to have that conversation. So I'll just see that it happens, it happens, and you just move on. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So have you been wrong a lot in your career?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know about a lot. I hope not a lot, right, I mean I've been wrong. I mean I've gotten some things wrong. We're've had to go back. I guess the big the biggest example was the you know polling analysis in twenty twelve, which enraged when when when Obama ended up winning that year, our readership was furious with us and a lot of them left them didn't come back. Yeah. Well, and I I said, we blew it. You know, we were doing that whole unskewed the polls thing. Sure, and it turned out that the polls really didn't need to be unskewed, but sometimes they do.
Speaker 1: You're sort of like, it's a it's a tough spot to find yourself.
Speaker 2: Sometimes the poles really are skewed well.
Speaker 4: And they have been right, they were before, they've been since. But I've learned not to assert data that I don't actually have. And you know, we were re manipulating the data, assuming that had been manipulated in the first place, and we were just flat out wrong, right, So I wrote at least two, you know, apologies to readers for that, and I end up writing a book about that sort of tangentially right, and you know, that was an enjoyable experience too. But yeah, that would be one of the bigger things that I've gotten wrong. And I mean, I spent months getting that wrong, so you know, I should own it since I spent months getting it wrong. I put a lot of hard work into getting that wrong.
Speaker 1: Very fair though, I mean, again, I think that so long ago, and I you know, there's been again opportunities for the polls to be and skewed since then. But it's very noble of you to take that blame responsibility, however you want to say it.
Speaker 4: You know how noble it is when it's really patently obvious to everybody and you're just owning up.
Speaker 2: You can let people forget it. Nobody will ever, you know, Well, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess, yeah, I mean, but I mean you asked, And so that's a pretty good example of it. I've gotten factually thinking things factually incorrect that on a couple of occasions, I negated the entire point of a post that I wrote from which point you just put, you know, update, I got this wrong. Everything below here is no sense you know you got that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And so the beauty of blogging versus publishing in a newspaper right there.
Speaker 4: Though, right right, you know. And honestly, I've gotten columns early on. I think I got one really wrong for The New York Sun, and I I actually just quit writing the column. I was so embarrassed by it. And this is early in my blogging career. Yeah, they didn't ask me to stop. They were kind of unhappy with the fact that I'd gotten something pretty significantly wrong. It colored the conclusion of the whole point of my column, and I wrote back, and I, you know, it was abjectly apology, you know, abjectly apologizing for it. And they were nice about it. This is not The New York Sun's issue. But I was so embarrassed by that it just I just decided I didn't want to write a column for a while, and later on I picked up I picked up columns.
Speaker 2: Down the road, so too good.
Speaker 1: What advice would you give your fifteen year old self for sixteen year old self.
Speaker 4: Oh, my goodness, you know, I have a joke answer for that, which is to stay, which is to say, either be a left handed relief pitcher or a police kicker for football, because you can. You can. You can spend twenty years doing that in your uniform will never get dirty.
Speaker 2: But I feel like you like getting your uniform dirty.
Speaker 4: I know I do kind of even back in those days. I kind of like getting the uniform dirty, you know, you know. And then the obvious answer is finished college, which I didn't do.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: I don't think I would have listened to that, though, because that was the same advice that my dad was giving me constantly during that same period. I was and I've written about that a couple times. I think at hot air, and I think that if I was, you know, to seriously address this question, what I would say is one, connect to your faith, because God is going to be very important to you, and the sooner you connect to that, the better off you're going to be. And the second thing would be I would say, don't And this is something I've told people. There's two things to remember in life. It's never as bad as it seems, and it's never as good as it seems. And you know, when you're sixteen years old, you're going to spend the next ten years going through really difficult highs and lows. And you look back and you go, why was I you know, why was I despairing over that situation sort of thing?
Speaker 2: And the moment it's everything.
Speaker 4: It's everything, and that's part of just growing up to you just learn that. And I don't think I don't think you can hear that advice, and sure anybody actually pay attention to it, even if it's coming from your older self. But I mean, those are the things I think that I would actually say to myself back then.
Speaker 1: Got it or youth in general.
Speaker 4: Right, It's like yeah, youth in general.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what would have.
Speaker 1: Been your like plan B had this not worked out, had you started writing and it didn't happen.
Speaker 4: I think it just stayed with the call center job. I actually liked the company I was working for it.
Speaker 1: I'm so creative, like I feel like, I guess I imagine you would have done something else creative.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, I guess I was thinking in terms of career. But yeah, you know, if the blogging thing hadn't worked out, you know, I'm I would never have gotten a chance to write the book I did. Maybe I would have improved myself to the point where I could actually write a book that would actually get published. But I don't know that that's the case. I think that if the blogging thing hadn't worked out, it might have been sort of a well, you know, the writing thing is not going to work out. I need to focus on the you know, on the blessings that I have in my life right now, just and just go forward with that. So but I mean, it's been a huge blessing. The blogging thing has been such a huge blessing for me. Yeah, I can't imagine being without the stuff that the experiences of the last twenty twine years.
Speaker 1: Right, do you ever think about like the people getting into writing now or like trying to do what we do without the blogging world.
Speaker 2: I don't know what to suggest to them a lot of the time. I mean, I say, be on X, you know, engage, be interesting.
Speaker 1: But the blogging world really did provide the path in a way that it just doesn't exist anymore.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it's a ground floor situation. It's an emergency emerging industry. I mean, we didn't think about this all that much in that YO time.
Speaker 1: We were thinking about how do we make this profitable? But we weren't thinking like how do we become professional writers?
Speaker 4: As I wasn't right and exactly and you know, honestly, I thought the path would be more to radio, which I still do, you know, but I don't do it on a regular base this right, I.
Speaker 1: Guess it came late to all this, the starting podcasts and well, I don't know as of spades. And I had a podcast in yeah, two thousand and five, two thousand and five, so twenty years ago, Hoist the Black Flag.
Speaker 2: But you know it was an internet radio show.
Speaker 4: Well, and I had one back in two thousand and seven, and we've been doing it ever since at hot Air, Right. But I think that the problem is is that it became an industry and so the barrier to entry is higher than it was when you and I were doing this twenty one. Yeah, and that's the reason why I mentioned substack. I think subtech is a really good platform. It's kind of like what Blogger was before Google bought it, right, Yeah, It's a it's a low investment, entry level way to establish your voice and then you can compete in the marketplace of ideas against places like hot air and red State and all the other all the other different phones out there. You have to know how to market and that was something I think that you know, people would ask me come out and talk about how how people get started blogging this. You know, this would be like an AFP type of thing, you know, go to AFP conventions or whatever you call them, and I'd say, you have to be serious about it. You have to know what your market is, you have to know who the players are. You have to engage the players so that they'll engage you back. And you can't just send out, you know, mass emails to everybody in creation because nobody reads those things. You know, you have to engage people. I always felt like I was delivering as sort of the mechanics of multi level marketing talking about the actual writing, because you have to assume the writing. The idea is how do you make your writing work? And and so, yeah, I think that that's still possible, makes it more possible than it was. But yeah, it's it's hard to crack now. It's so it's so professionalized now that that it's it's tougher to crack. I don't envy the people who are trying to come into this and something. You start looking at what's going to be the next thing. And for a while, it was X. For a while, it was TikTok, it was Facebook for a while until Facebook cracked down on the speech stuff. And now they've light up on that. But I don't think people are going to trust Facebook as a platform anymore to do that type of work. So I don't know, I don't know what it's so tough, you know.
Speaker 1: I remember back then somebody would leave a comment on my blood, you know, on a post I wrote, and I would go look at their blog and look at what they're writing.
Speaker 2: And that's how you know you found new writers. You don't really have that anymore.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess now if somebody like tweets at you or whatever it's called now, but and maybe says something interesting, then you go to their page and you look at it.
Speaker 2: But even that I click over a lot less often.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't think so. I think I just look at their at their at their Twitter string, right, I don't know that I click over sometimes.
Speaker 1: I no, I mean that their Twitter stream. I don't even click over to their Twitter stream anymore. Like I think maybe like once in a while, if the if their tweet at me really grabs me, then okay, I'll go look at their profile page.
Speaker 2: But you know, Rare, I think you're right.
Speaker 4: I think it's it's not the same type of thing because I think back in those days again, less of an industry, more as a collegial collection of hobbyists.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what we are getting together at like seapack can neither.
Speaker 4: Seapack or you know, the sidelines or anything. Really.
Speaker 1: The RNC convention in New York two thousand and four was a big one. Yeah, well, I miss seeing you around, you know. I think we need to get that these going again where we run into each other at different events, and I've loved the opportunity to talk to you today because you know, I think you're just fantastic.
Speaker 2: We're going to take a quick break and be right back on the Carol Marcowitch Show and us here with your best tip for my listeners on how they can improve their lives.
Speaker 4: How they can improve their lives. I feel very I don't feel qualified to tell them, but I will. I will say this, which is that you have to be true to yourself. And by that, I don't mean that you have to be selfish, but I think you have to know who you are in order to be truly good to others. And I think only by being truly good to others are you going to improve your life. Because the more you're focused on yourself, the worse your life is going to get over the long period of time. So know yourself, connect with people on the knowledge of who you are, and I think that improves everything.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Here is Ed Morriscy check him out on hot air dot com. You are just fantastic, So nice to see you.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Carol, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for joining us on The Carol Marcowich Show. Subscribe wherever you get your podcasts.