Speaker 1: August has arrived. The month of Leo's and parados and Gladiola's. The month of trying to get the pool cleaned out because ick ooh, need a little more shock in there. The month of kids going back to school. It's the month we start to tire of the summer heat and the go go go, and we start to slow down. We linger in front of the air conditioning a little longer, we turn the fan up a little higher. We avoid the afternoon sun whenever possible. Well, unless you're me and you're out in the garden and you get foolish. I hope you are staying cool, staying sane, spending time with people and things that make you happy. Say the name Kate Hudson and watch the eyes of whoever you're talking to light up. Kate Hudson has that effect on people. Just say your name and it makes me smile. She's bright and vivacious, she's captivating. She's got talent as deep as her beautiful smile is wide. We all want to know what her latest project is so we can go get our tickets and plan a girls' night out. Well, I have got news for you. Kate's latest project isn't a film you'll have to make a date to go see. It's something different altogether. It's not a book she's written too. It's not a fitness brand. She has those also. It's a new music album. After rising to Hollywood prominence with her portrayal of Penny Lane in the musical drama Almost Famous, Kate stirred up a little musical drama on her own with Glorious, her debut studio album. It's lead single, talk About Love, dropped on January thirtieth, and it created quite a buzz. Two more singles, Live Forever and Gonna Find Out were also released before the full album came out in May, when we were treated to all twelve tracks. The album is described this way, natural, easy, engaged. There's both her self examination and celebration of self flowing through the twelve songs. Kate Hudson understands the phrases and stages of modern music in a way that's fluid but defined, honest yet willing to leave it all at the door in the name of love. She's not sure what took her so long, especially with all the music whirling inside of her. Raised between Colorado's mountains and Santa Monica and Malibu's beaches. Kate came of age with radio that delivered everything from Pearl Jam to De La Soul and so many women Billie Holiday, Eded James, Joni Mitchell, Alanis Morris, sat Madonna, Patty Grim and Chrissy Heine who captured all the emotions of teenager feels. Today, we're going to get a chance to talk to Kate and ask her what took her so long to release her album. But first we're going to drop a few words about a sponsor that helps to make these conversations happen. Have you been looking for a milk replacement because you have dairy allergies or sensitivities. Well, I found one that's absolutely amazing. It's Sherry's hazel Cream, made from Oregon hazelnuts. This plant based milk stands out from the competitors because it's designed for cooking and baking. It all started because Sherry, who could no longer tolerate dairy products, wanted to make gravy, but not gravy that tasted like coconut or oatmeal. So by enlisting the help of her engineer husband and a friend that's a food scientist, and through my which trial and error. Sherry's hazel Cream was born because of a special roasting process. It's very neutral and taste and works with a large variety of recipes. It comes sealed in shelf stable, easy to use, pre measured portion pods that you place into your blender. Add varying amounts of water to make milk cream or even condensed milk for pies and other mouth watering desserts. It's delicious and mashed potatoes and cakes, and creamy soups and even casserole dishes. Visit Sherryshazelcream dot com to learn more about this product, to read Sherry's story, and to place your order. It's at Sherry'shazelcream dot com. C h e Ris hazel Cream dot com. Use code Love twenty four for ten percent off your order. That's Sherries Hazel old Cream and Love twenty four with me. I love someone today the multi talented Oh my gosh, girlfriend, you do it all. You've written books, you do like workout, stay fit stuff. You're such an accomplished actress and now a songwriter and singer.
Speaker 2: Who knew yes Yes, Hi Delilah, Hi.
Speaker 1: Kate, Welcome to Love Someone on the show.
Speaker 2: Yes, I you know, I finally decided to do it and put an album out and share some of my music, and hopefully it won't be the last time I put an album out.
Speaker 1: That was gonna be one of my questions. Now that you've gotten to share this and kind of dipped your foot in the stream, are we going to hear more? Is there going to be more? And do we get to hear you singing in movies now?
Speaker 2: Yeah? All of you above yay, yeah, And I just love it and I just feel like it kind of broke the ice and now I can I have so much music. I think that was part of the process of writing Glorious, was that when in two and a half weeks we had like twenty six songs.
Speaker 1: So we get to hear twelve of them, that means we got what fourteen more to go?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of that one of that, of that iteration of writing. But there's so much music in me. I just I can't wait to write for myself or even for other people. So it's been it's it's it's been this beautiful edition in my life and I've loved sharing it. And I have to say, Delilah, people walking up to me. You know a lot of times they still say, you know, I love your movies, but how it's happening now with music is so like it just warms my heart because people are listening and they love it, and they and they come up and they talk about and they tell them what their favorite songs are, and it's so much more personal, you know, and I love I love connecting with people, so it's pretty amazing to do it through music.
Speaker 1: That was my response when I heard you, because I was told that you were gonna, you know, do this by a friend of ours in the music industry, and I'm like, yeah, whatever, and then he sent me one of the cuts before it was released, and I'm like, what the hell? Like oho, no, And then I was like, I felt I kind of I gotta be honest, I kind of felt cheated. I thought, why haven't we got to hear her all this time? Like that's like not fair.
Speaker 2: I feel like sometimes I have to stop myself from that, which is because a lot of times when I would feel like my in the pocket, I'd be like, why did I take so long? And then I'm like, no, I can't do that.
Speaker 1: You're exactly where you're supposed to be at this moment. Yeah, but thank you, thank you, thank you for finally sharing with us, and now we got fun things to look forward to. Yeah, I wrote.
Speaker 2: I wrote a song called Love Ain't Easy that is a very like Delilah love songs. You should listen to Love ain Easy? I think you'd really like that song.
Speaker 1: Is that one that I'm going to have to play a lot for folks who call me in struggling situations?
Speaker 2: I think, so you should listen to it because and then there's another song kind that never made a moment since I've listened to your show so much, you know, never made a moment is another song that could really you could it could be about anything, but it's like how do you move on from something that is like you've never made a moment without them? And that's a very you'll you should listen to some of those songs because I think you're going to love them.
Speaker 1: You know what I love most about you your smile, Like your smile is infectious, Like I just say your name, Kate Hudson, and I smile thinking about your smile.
Speaker 2: Oh, Delilah, thank you, thank you for saying that I love you.
Speaker 1: You got more than acting. In you, you got more than writing in you. You got more than than working out in you. You got vocal chords I got.
Speaker 2: I got some pipes, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Got pipes.
Speaker 2: Who knew? You know? I love I've always loved to sing, and I've and more more than that, I've always loved to write, you know, music, But yeah, I just I love to sing.
Speaker 1: Why are we just now discovering this? Why are we just now discovering this? Was in your arsenal of goodness?
Speaker 2: I mean, that's a really loaded, long kind of questions.
Speaker 1: I guess if I could sing like you sing, I am such a glory hog and such a show on I would have been said years ago, my donna, get the hell off the stage. I got the microphone now.
Speaker 2: You know. Honestly, for me, I always wanted to do it. And then I I mean, when I became kind of known for acting, it was sort of like people in your life would be like, don't cross try to cross over. You've got a great thing going, like if you go try to like do music right now, it could affect your film career. And and I was so happy at the time, and it was you know, to become successful and as an actress. It's a very challenging thing and and like I felt very lucky, so I sort of put music to the side, but I kept doing it and then and then I just married all these music men and they knew how musical I was. And what was so interesting was they were always like, make music all you know. They're my my my two ex'es, my two baby daddies. They were always super supportive. But I kind of felt like, you know what, two touring musicians and it's too much for a family. And then I got and then I kind of got cold feet. When COVID happened, I was just that was it. I was like, what I kind of was reflecting on my career, creative life, and in my creative life, like, am I am I satisfied? If I died tomorrow, would I feel like I left anything on the table? And it was just so huge to me that I'd never pursued music, and really writing music is something I love so much that I just was like, why am I so afraid to put this out into the world. And so that sort of started it, and I just realized I had to just do it and for myself, for my own like creative kind of work. I just was like, whatever happens with this will happen. But if I don't do it, I'll regret it and I can't live with regrets.
Speaker 1: All twelve tracks are ones you wrote, right, Yeah, Yeah, And I.
Speaker 2: Wrote with I wrote with a coupled I wrote with Danny, my partner, and I wrote with Linda Perry, who is an amazing songwriter, and she was really Linda sort of simultaneously. She kind of overheard me singing on this kid's on our school we had, you know, was COVID, so there's this like a zoom thundraiser, you know, and they asked me to sing an acoustic version of Firework. The guy who wrote Firework Tour from Stargate said will you do an acoustic kind of different version of Katie Perry's song? And Linda Perry heard it and just cold called me and she's like what, I didn't know you saying like that. And I was like, oh yeah, She's like do you write And I was like yeah. She's like come to the studio.
Speaker 1: How cool is that? Yeah. I had the same reaction. I mean when I heard Jim Ryan sent me a couple of songs off of glorious and I'm like, what, like, you have this massive talent, only.
Speaker 2: Like the people closest to me really, because they're always the ones that are like, get to the piano, like sing one of your songs and I'm like no, you know, so there's so only like people that I feel comfortable in my living room has ever heard anything that I've written or you know, And I honestly, you know, Delilah, this this time, it really does feel like there was a void in me this whole time in my adult life, like that I was missing something and I don't feel out it anymore. And that's a really interesting thing for me because I, you know, I it just shows that it's it really is my love language music, you know. It's like that is that is it? And now that I not only am have put an album out, but now like it's a part of my life. You know. We've been working on this, uh, this cover that I'm going to put out soon, and there's just music. Music is just everywhere. There's things are coming to me that have never come to me before for that are music related. And if there's anything that I want to talk about do, it's usually music related, you know. So it's really amazing that.
Speaker 1: So do you feel like you've kind of been born again, like there's this whole new new life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it just it's I think it's a really interesting thing that it's happening at this time in my life versus when I'm young. You know, it's it's a grind of a business. You have to really really love it. It's a grind. It's expensive to get music out into the world.
Speaker 1: Well, the industry today is a completely different industry than it was when you were much younger. Yeah, you know, it's.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: It's not just a grind, it's a machine. I started in radio in nineteen seventy four, and back then, artists came into our studio every day, I mean every day. I was on a rock station in Kusbabergen, which is ten thousand people, and James Taylor came into our studio, Carly Simon, you know, they were together back then, or together and then a part or whatever came into the studio and hung out all day on the air.
Speaker 2: It's so great and it really connected you to to like the actual area. I still feel, honestly that people should still do that, Like I really believe in like the local radio and news, and like when you're really promoting something that you should actually go because it says something about you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but back then we could ask anything we wanted. Now we get a list of the questions we're allowed to ask, and it's they call it in you know, it's it's prepackaged and you just insert your voice. Half the time it's like, yeah, you also missed the drug air of it all because they would bring.
Speaker 2: There's tons of weed.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, no, it was other stuff. And I was such a nerd gait. I was such a freaking nerd. I would be like, oh, is that what I think that is?
Speaker 2: The studio? Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I was such a big fat no.
Speaker 2: Oh. It's so funny. You know. There was a scene and almost famous where we go into the radio and he's like falling asleep as they're trying to do their the disc jockey's falling asleep. But yeah, it was also like I guess, like for me, the purity of what I love about music and what I actually can hold because it's not like for as much as I would love to be able to go and make that like my number one life, like I will always love making. I'm about to go make a movie in October and doing the show, so I actually can really sort of keep the ccurity.
Speaker 1: Because you're not dependent upon it. It's all about joy.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: What a gift.
Speaker 2: It is not lost on me that that's a real blessing because I and for me, I think I love that I can then just write and make the music that I want to make.
Speaker 1: You know, and you don't have to be a part of the machine and sell your soul to to get the music out there. You can do what you want and write what you want and say what you want and tell me while we're here, talk about love.
Speaker 2: Talk about love.
Speaker 1: And who's the cutie in that video?
Speaker 2: Isn't he so cute? He's just a really great dancer. He's been in a lot of stuff.
Speaker 1: But on you the black Sequence thing, I'm like, dang, girlfriend, you look so pretty.
Speaker 2: I love that outfit. That was that outfit I wanted to, like, you know where, I wanted to like wear that to the supermarket. I loved It's lives Keep me away from Sequence, Delilah, I love my sequins.
Speaker 1: Aya looks so pretty. Catching up with the delightful Kate Hudson today, Isn't she a breath of fresh air? Before we wrap things up with Kate, I want to share a few words about another one of my fantastic podcast sponsors. Mercy Ships, has been transforming lives for over forty years. Many people in our world have no access to healthcare and as a result, they must endure pain and suffering. But with the support of volunteers and donors, Mercy Ships can go to these communities and perform free surgeries. Surgeries that help mothers see their babies for the first time, surgeries that allow little boys and girls to run and play. They change lives through the work they do. Now, thanks to the launch of the Global Mercy, the first custom built hospital ship of its kind, they can help even more people. The Global Mercy is projected to serve one hundred and fifty thousand patients over the next five decades. Four year old Amato from Southern Senegal was the first to receive surgery on the Global Mercy. Born with one windswept leg and one bowe leg, he missed out on so many things kids love, but thanks to the treatment he received from Mercy Ships, Amatu can't wait to run around with his friends, and he dreams of all that lies ahead. Learn more about Mercyships at mercyships dot org. Tell me where that song came from? Talk about Love?
Speaker 2: Well, So talk about Love for me was like it really was. It was actually a song that we almost lost, like we couldn't figure the song out. It had a great hook. It was sort of this sort of disc hook in the writing sketching process, but it really was just a hook. And when we came when Danny kind of got all of the you know, we had written twenty six songs. When Danny had got the whole project and was sitting with it and kind of really producing all of the music, he basically said, I got to figure out talk about Love because it's such a good It's just such a good hook, and I already had written so many of the lyrics and I loved what I wanted to say, So talk about Love really was that the one song on the album that we kind of sort of leaned into. It's a little bit it's probably a poppyst song on the album other than Lying to Myself, And it's really just about why is it so hard to talk about the one thing we need the most? And for me, it's a very simple way of like communicating that we need to be connecting.
Speaker 1: That embodies my entire career fifty years on the radio in one set of lyrics. That's my old show is about connecting. We need to connect. We need to connect, we need to share our heart, we need to stop fighting, we need to stop being divisive and talk about love.
Speaker 2: That's it, we really do. And it's the it's if anything, Like I just don't understand why it's so hard for people to talk about it and why it's where people get all. I mean, I guess at this point in my life, I do understand why it can be hard for people. But like you have to break it open, you know, And that's kind of what the bridge is. It's sort of like I'm standing right in front of you, like let's like just take it. Just like open it, open your heart and really like be open to love. We know what the antidote is to all of the stuff that's going on in the world, right but we still refuse so many people refuse to like lead with it, and that is love and of all of the things that people want you as a you know, personality or a celebrity to get involved with politics or this that I'm like, I can't. I just want to talk about I just want to talk about connecting and.
Speaker 1: Love and therein lies everything. There in lies the antidote, the healing balm of everything that is wrong with our world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know it is in every scripture. It doesn't matter where you come from, what you study, how you pray.
Speaker 1: Love is the answer. It's the maybe we just need to blast your song twenty four to seven.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's to me like what I love to write about, you know. And I realized when I was done with all of the songs that that was the theme of my whole album was just like how glorious is love and all of it and all of it you know, even when.
Speaker 1: It hurts, especially when it hurts.
Speaker 2: Because you know, when it hurts, I really believe, like any muscle, like your heart just gets bigger and stronger. And my my only thing I always say, like, because I am so obviously look at my life like you know, I'm I have I've been I have three dads, my all my children have three. But somehow we've figured this amazing like life out that's very not a traditional one. But it's all at all leads with like. The only way you can make something like that happen is really being an advocate for love that goes with the kids and the dads and all of us.
Speaker 1: Well, I love you, Thank you for spending this time with us. God bless you.
Speaker 2: I hope I chat with you again and see you and at some point meet you in person.
Speaker 1: And hug you. I want to hug you. God bless you. Honey, Thank you, Bye bye Hunt. Though Kate Hudson's mut music is new to us, she's been writing music since childhood, using music as her creative outlet, but she never knew how it would fit into her busy life, busy, successful life. Glorious fits like a glove, like it was always meant to be with us, and it arrived right on time. Kate's not an actor turned a singer songwriter. It's just who she's always been, but only her family, her closest friends knew it. She's chosen now to reveal this side of her personality, of her character to us. Like Kate herself, the album Glorious, the selections are of a free spirited nature, exploring the intersection of modern rock and pop and the results are diverse and satisfying. You'll find download links to Glorious, as well as opportunities to purchase it in limited and standard vinyl and CD on Kate's website Kate Hudson dot com. You can keep up with everything she's got going on while you're there too. I love that at forty five, Kate Hudson is still exploring, still reaching, still challenging herself and sharing the amazing results with us. I hope there's a nugget of inspiration in there for you to spend some time on something that's been percolating in your heart for a while, show the world what you're made of. I'm so glad you took the time out of your summer day to spend a little time with us. I've had great conversations here on love someone over the past six months, and I can't wait for the next ones and the opportunity to spend more time with you.