Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I'm Nathan Hager and I'm Karen Moscow. Here are the stories we're following today.
Speaker 3: We begin with the latest on the war in the Middle East. Israeli leaders are vowing to continue their fight to eradicate Hamas despite criticism from international groups. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu lashed out after the un said there are no longer any safe places in Gaza.
Speaker 4: I say, to the women's rights organizations, to the human rights organizations, you've heard of the rape of Israeli women, horrible atrocities, sexual new relation.
Speaker 5: Where the hell are you?
Speaker 3: Prime Minister Natanyahu's troops are continuing to press into the southern Gaza city of han Yunis.
Speaker 6: Well, Nathan.
Speaker 2: Back here. In the US, presidents of three prestigious universities, Harvard, MIT, and Penn were called to Capitol Hill to explain to lawmakers what they're doing about an outbreak of anti Semitism on their campuses. Bloomberg's Amy Morris has more from Washington.
Speaker 7: The university presidents told lawmakers they won't tolerate anti semitism on their campuses as they cope with protests over the Israel Humas war. During heated questioning, by New York Republican Elis Stephonic. Harvard University professor doctor Clauding Gay cited free expression and says the school consistently enforces its rules of conduct.
Speaker 8: Even of views that are objectionable, offensive, hateful. It's when that speech crosses into conduct that violates our policies against bullying Haras.
Speaker 3: Does that speech not cost that barrier?
Speaker 2: Does that speech not call for the genocide of Jews and the elimination of Israel?
Speaker 8: We embrace a commitment to free expression.
Speaker 7: Alumni and donors, citing incidents of anti Semitism, psychologists just aren't doing enough to create a safe learning environment for Jewish students in Washington. Amy Morris, Bloomberg Radio, all.
Speaker 3: Right, Amy, thank you. In other news this morning, Vladimir Putin has arrived in the United Arab Emirates at the start of a trip that will also include a visit to Saudi Arabia. It is a rare overseas trip since the invasion of Ukraine. The Russian president is seeking to bolster partnerships with key oil producers. Bloomberg's Rosalind Mathieson says the visit reveals a lot about the way Putin sees his position.
Speaker 6: He's really not left Russia very much since he invaded Ukraine almost two years ago. He's been to China, he's been to some of the proof ree States, but he's not really ventured any further than that. So simply the fact that he now feels confident enough to travel to the UAE, to travel to Saudi Arabia, to meet with some very very high level officials in both countries shows perhaps a reflection of how he's feeling at the moment about his hold on power at home, about where he's born in Ukraine is at and really that he's not feeling isolated on the global stage.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg's Ros Matheson says Putin's previously limited trips mainly two close allies since he ordered troops into Ukraine.
Speaker 2: Well, let's turn to US politics now, Nathan And a revealing comment from President Biden. The president says he might have decided not to run for reelection if former President and Donald Trump were not in the race. At a fundraiser in Massachusetts, the President said, quote, we can't let him win for the sake of the country. He was asked about the comment afterward.
Speaker 9: I expect so, but look, it is running and I just have to rus not no, not now.
Speaker 2: The President's comments come as polls show many voters are concerned about his age and the prospects of a Biden Trump rematch. Well.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, Karen, the President's re election campaign does expect to raise more than fifteen million dollars in events across the country over the next five days. Biden is back in Washington after those three fundraisers in Boston, there was one actually that included singer James Taylor. On Friday, the President plans to travel to Los Angeles for a fundraiser with film director Steven Spielberg and Rob Reiner.
Speaker 2: Oh, we turned to the markets now, Nathan, as we await the crucial Friday jobs are pored. Another labor data point is reinforcing optimism of rate cuts, and we get the latest from Bloomberg's John Tucker and Karen.
Speaker 5: It's just what the Fed wants to see. The jolts or job opening survey pulling back in October to the lowest level since early twenty twenty one. It underscores the gradual cooling in the labor market that policymakers want. The labor market seems to be softening through slowing demand for new workers, rather than employers cutting jobs. A separate report shows easing inflation in the service sector. The ten year US yields that briefly top five percent in October broke below four point two percent. They're lower still this morning. It all feeds into the Goldilock scenario. Still some investors are warey. We're calling the story of Goldilocks had a few bears in it. Friday, we do get the monthly jobs report, and next week is the Fed meeting. John Tucker, Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 3: Now lots to come John, Thank you. Also today, the CEOs of some of the biggest banks on Wall Street are in Washington to testify before Congress. More on that from Bloomberg Financial correspondent Chanelli Bossik.
Speaker 10: JP Morgan CEO Jamie Diamond, and Goldman Sachs CEO David Solomon are among big bank CEOs set to face the Senate Banking Committee today in Washington. The committee, led by Senator Shared Brown, has held the hearing with the big banks every year since Brown became chairman in twenty twenty one, saying that he's there to protect the main street economy and the bankers will face questions on everything from mortgage rates to savings rates after the Federal Reserve has raised interest rates so dramatically. In Washington, d C. I'MTIONALI Bassic Bloomberg Radio Shanelle, thank you.
Speaker 2: What we heard from another bank executive ahead of those hearings. The Bank of America CEO Brian moynihan is talking about the economy. His firm still expects us off landing rather than a recession.
Speaker 9: The reality is going to be a slowdown, but we have it as being positive. The way customers are spending their money is leveled out. In other words, there's not this good service, this massive change. So some things are growing faster, but it's leveled out, meaning that all the categories are kind of grow on plus or minds the average. And so that's all good news that the economy's normal life.
Speaker 2: Bank of America CEO Brian moynihan made the comments yesterday at Goldman Sachs US Financial Services. Come friends, time now for a look at some of the other stories making news around the world. For that, we're joined by Bloomberg's Amy Morris.
Speaker 11: Samy.
Speaker 7: Good morning, Good morning, Karen, and we're learning that Russian President Vladimir Putin has just arrived in Abu Dhabi, a rare foreign trip to bolster oil cooperation with Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. Back here at home, House Speaker Mike Johnson says House Republicans have come to an inflection point in their impeachment inquiry of President Biden. Bloomberg's nanacylliance brings us an update.
Speaker 12: Speaker Johnson says the House has no choice but to take an official vote on an impeachment inquiry next week. The White House has refused to acknowledge the legitimacy of the probe since no vote was taken, which is the usual course.
Speaker 5: They're refusing to turn over key witnesses to allow them to testify as they've been subpoena.
Speaker 11: They're refusing to turn over thousands of documents for the National Archives.
Speaker 12: The impeachment inquiries over President Biden's alleged involvement and his son Hunter's overseas business dealings. The investigation so far has produced no direct evidence. In the press has denied any wrongdoing. In Washington, Nancy lyons Bloomberg Radio Now.
Speaker 7: Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer says Yesterday's classified Senate hearing that was supposed to be about Ukraine was quote hijacked by Republicans trying to force a conversation about the US border. Schumer offered Republicans a chance to offer an amendment to the package, but that would require sixty votes to pass.
Speaker 4: Any amendment they want.
Speaker 9: If they can get sixty votes, they can solve the border problem.
Speaker 4: It's plain and simple.
Speaker 7: Senator Schumer has set up a procedural vote on a supplemental spending bill that does not include border provisions that'll be set for later today. Meanwhile, Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelensky canceled his address to the US Senate yesterday as those negotiations bogged down. Former President Donald Trump is reportedly likely to attend his New York civil fraud trial tomorrow. His attendance would come just days before he's expected to take the stand again next week. Trump is set to be the defense's last witness in that case on Monday. He last has to fight on November sixth. New York Attorney General Letitia James accuses Trump and others of inflating the value of assets in order to obtain more favorable loans. Members of Hollywood's actors union have voted to ratify the deal with studios, ending their strike after nearly four months. The seventy eight percent approval from the members of the Screen Actors Guild American Federation of Television and Radio Artists was no certainty. Some prominent members had voiced assent on that deal. A rejection of the agreement would have meant a return to the bargaining table and the possibility of workers going back on strike. Global news twenty four hours a day and whenever you want it with Bloomberg News Now. I'm Amy Morris and this is Bloomberg Karen.
Speaker 2: All right, Amy, thanks, So we do bring you news throughout the day right here on Bloomberg Radio. But as Amy said, you can now get the latest news on demand, and that means whenever you want it. Subscribe to Bloomberg News Now to get the latest headlines at the click of a button. Get informed on your schedule. You can listen and subscribe to Bloomberg News Now on the Bloomberg Business app, Bloomberg dot com plus Apple Well, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts all time. Now for the Bloomberg Sports Update, by John Stashaur John Karen.
Speaker 13: Milwaukee and the Lakers will join Indiana and New Orleans for the semifinals the NBA's in season tournament tomorrow night in Las Vegas. The Bucks scored thirty four or more points in all four corners. They shot sixty percent from the field and made sixty percent of their three pointers. They beat the Knicks in Milwaukee one forty six to one twenty two Giannis Sunde. The couple scored thirty five points. Damian Lillard added twenty eight. Julius Randall scored forty one for the Knicks, who gave up the most points they've given up in a game since nineteen seventy nine. Closer game in La Lakers top Phoenix one oh six to one oh three. The Stars were out Lebron James thirty one points and Kevin Durant thirty one in the loss. He missed the three at the buzzer that would have tied the game, So it'll be the Pacers against the Bucks. The Lakers against the Pelicans championship game on Saturday. College trips to New York. Fifth rank Yukon beat ninth rank North Carolina eighty seven to seventy six, only the eighth trade ever between the Yankees and Red Sox. The Yanks get outfielder Alex Perdugo from Boston. The Red Sox get three pitchers, most of whom spent last season in the minor leagues. Yankees also looking to acquire Juan Soto at the winter meetings underway in Nashville. The bigger story, Who's gonna get shoe A? Otani? The favorite right now? The Dodgers. Their manager Dave Roberts, met with Otani for a couple of hours at Dodgers Stadium. Roberts said Otani is our top priority. John stash Award Bloomberg Sports.
Speaker 4: From coast to coast, from New York to San Francisco, Boston to Washington, DC, nationwide on Siriusxam, the Bloomberg Business app in Bloomberg dot Com. This is Bloomberg Daybreak. Good morning. I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 3: On a busy morning overseas and in domestic Paul, including in Israel, where they are pressing on with the fight against Hamas in southern Gaza despite international pressure to end the war. Russian President Vladimir Putin is on a rare trip outside his country just landing in the United Arab Emirates today, and US President Joe Biden is raising new questions with his latest comments on why he's running for reelection. Lot's to get to this morning with Bloomberg new senior editor Bill Ferries, who joins me now. Bill, So, the fighting goes on in Gaza, and from the looks and sounds of it, it's about as intense as it's ever been.
Speaker 11: Absolutely, there's a lot of reports that the death toll and southern Gaza has picked up. Israel Is sending forces all around the second biggest city in Gaza there in the south in Prime Minister net and Yahoo today said we will fight until the end, calling for a quote crushing victory. At the same time, Israeli officials have said that they are willing to or another pause if or cease fire if that really allows more hostages to be released. But you know, from the beginning, I think since October seventh, when Hamas went into Israel, the Israeli government has said one of their ultimate goals here is to destroy the mass leadership, and I think they're going to proceed in that direction, whether or not they get more hostages out.
Speaker 3: Is there a risk that Israel could lose international support if the bombardments maintain this level of intensity.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Absolutely. I think you've already seen them on the defensive internationally, trying to really focus on their efforts to minimize civilian casualties. But you have people like even the United Nations agencies that are operating there saying at this point there's really no safe place for Palestinians in the Gaza Strip to evacuate too. You know that all places are effectively targets at this point. So I think there's certainly a public relations battle that goes along with the battle in Gaza, and I think that's one that Israel. The public relations battle is one that Israel is really struggling with.
Speaker 3: And while we watched the movement in the Gaza Strip, Bill, we are also monitoring movements by Russian President Vladimir Putin. We got the headline just moments ago that he has arrived in the United Arab Emirates. This is a pretty rare trip abroad for the Russian president.
Speaker 11: It is there's a lot going on here.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 11: On the one hand, you know, you go to you go to the UAE, and you go to Saudi Arabia, where he's expected I think later in the day. You go there for one reason, and that's to talk about oil and energy. Russia has been supportive of the Opek plus arrangement to cut production further beginning in January. Russia and Saudi Arabia are really the backbone of that Opek plus agreement. Though Russia has not really been cutting back on production, it needs those oil sales to fund its war in Ukraine. But I think there's also just a very symbolic gesture and putin traveling, making this trip just sort of showing that he can travel. There's not many places where he can go at this point where he wouldn't be at risk of getting arrested for the for the Ukraine War. He's skipped a Brick summit in South Africa earlier this year because of concerns he might be detained. But he is, you know, he's able to travel relatively freely. There is a lot of Russian investment in this in the Gulf States, a lot of Russian companies that have fled Western sanctions relocated there, a lot of Russians relocated there, and so I think there's a whole bunch of issues on his agenda, from from oil to to investment. Uh, and then frankly, just the symbolic importance of being seen traveling abroad.
Speaker 3: President Biden is traveling as well, raising a lot of money for his re election campaign and making some pretty interesting comments on why he's running. He's saying that he might not even be running if not for former President Trump. It's kind of raising concerns, isn't it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you have a lot of people who a lot of Democrats who would you know, who say they're really concerned about the president's age. They'd like to see a different candidate in the race. Frankly, you have a lot of Republicans who say that about Donald Trump at aged seventy seven as well. It says a lot about the race. I think Joe Biden in some ways is saying what perhaps Democratic strategists and leaders have been saying, which is, you know, he's he's the only guy who beat Trump in twenty twenty and and feels perhaps like he's the one to do it again. I think, you know, he seemed to walk back that comment a little bit when he returned to the White House last night, saying that if you know he would expect that maybe he would still be the candidate even if Trump wasn't running. But I think he said he said out loud, the quiet part that a lot of Democratic operatives have been saying for a while.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Daybreak Today, your morning brief on the stories making news from Wall Street to Washington and beyond.
Speaker 2: Look for us on your podcast feed at six am Eastern each morning, on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: You can also listen live each morning starting at five am Wall Street time on Bloomberg eleven three to zero in New York, Bloomberg ninety nine one in Washington, Bloomberg one oh six to one in Boston, and Bloomberg ninety sixty in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Our flagship New York station is also available on your Amazon Alexa devices. Just say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty plus.
Speaker 1: Listen coast to coast on the Bloomberg Business app, serriusxmb iHeartRadio app, and on Bloomberg dot Com.
Speaker 3: I'm Nathan Hager.
Speaker 2: And I'm Karen Moscow. Join us again tomorrow morning for all the news you need to start your day right here on Bloomberg Daybreak