Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: Let's kiss you.
Speaker 3: I am all in with Scott Patterson an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 4: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in Podcast, one of them productions, iHeartRadio, I Heart Media, I Heeart Podcast. I'm joined by my Indrappid crew Susan French, Daniel, Roma, Tara will be sorry, Tara, Tara, keep getting Tara will be joining us. Amy is stuck in traffic, but she'll be here soon. But she'll be here soon. This is season seven, episode eight, introducing Lorelei Planetarium.
Speaker 5: Before we get to our first pop culture. Yes, we're gonna take a quick break, and then when we come back, we're gonna dive right into this episode's pop culture.
Speaker 4: I'm excited, Hi everybody, and we're back. Suzanne French is gonna lead off the top of the first inn and go all right.
Speaker 2: Christopher is eager to start decorating around the house as he and Laurlai just got married in Paris. Christopher says, you know what else might work. One of those electronic fish. What do they call it, the big mouth billy bass fish. You know what they are? Right when somebody walks by, they flap their mouths and sing songs like don't Worry, Be Happy and take Me to the River. Laura says, you're kidding. Christopher says, I'm totally kidding, except for the flat screen. We need a flat screen. Laura I says no, I'd rather have the big mouth billy bass fish. Christopher says, what's wrong with the flat screen? Laura Lai says, it's so Meet George Jetson his boy Elroy Leroy Billy big mouth billy bass is an animatronic.
Speaker 5: That's five times fast.
Speaker 4: Yeah, big mouth, billyish, big mouth, billy bass fish, big mouth billy fish, big mouth. It's hard, big mouth billy bass fish, big mouth billy fish, big mouth, MILLI screwed it up, Milli mass fish.
Speaker 2: So what Scotch has said is an animatronic singing prop representing a large mouth bath that was popular in the early two thousands. And I also have to point out this is the second time we've come across this, because there was an episode where Luke talks about having one and he was afraid that TJ was going to steal it and the batteries. Don't Worry, Be Happy is a song by Bobby McFerrin. Take Me to the River is a song by Al Green. The Jetsons is an animated sitcom created in the nineteen sixties. Meet George Jetson His Boy Elroy comes from the theme song of the show. And did you know that there is an alternative rock band from Seattle that named themselves his Boy Elroy? After the Jetsons.
Speaker 5: Who can I do this next one?
Speaker 4: You certainly may, okay?
Speaker 5: So this next one, Rory arrives at Logan's launch party and walks by some girls gossiping, and one of the guests says, and she showed me her ring this year huge canary diamond looked like something Paris Hilton would wear. Paris Hilton is the great granddaughter of Conrad Hilton, the founder of Hilton Hotels. She's also a reality star. A lot of you may have seen The Simple Life back in the day. Some may argue she was the first reality TV star, and she owns her own brand, Empire with tons of perfumes and all a bunch of stuff. In two thousand and five, Paris Hilton got engaged to Paris Lattice with a massive twenty four carrot canary diamond ring that was valued at four point seven million dollars. I think everyone remembers that ring. Did you know Paris Hilton just announced the birth of her second baby via surrogate, named London. So now she has a baby named London and Phoenix. And the reason why I know so much about Paris Hilton is our team works on her podcast too, So dada to I am Paris.
Speaker 4: After sitting through a coworker of Logan's man splaying his trip to Tortol, Rory hopes they never go there. Rory, can we please never go to Tortola?
Speaker 1: Where is Tortola?
Speaker 4: By the way, is that a real island? It's a real Tola. Sounds like a made up movie.
Speaker 5: Island, like a British version islands.
Speaker 4: Oh, Danielle, you're right, am I right?
Speaker 3: British Virgin Islands.
Speaker 4: Wow, my goodness, Logan, I don't even want to meet John Chatruro or Tortolini. John Taturo is an actor and filmmaker, and is known for frequently working with the Cohen Brothers, Adam Sandler, and Spike Lee, not necessarily in that order or not altogether. Did you know Spike Lee noticed and liked John Taturo's performance in the film Five Corners John played a psycho stalking Jody Foster's character. Actually, everybody knew look in the late eighties when I was doing theater in New York, every day nobody knew about John Jaturo. He was I think he was coming out of Yale rep and he was doing some off Broadway productions that everybody would go see. I think there was one he was in with John Panco and Lauris and Jacomo called Italian American Reconciliation. It was just thrilling to watch those three and Taturo especially just a very very very special, very gifted actor.
Speaker 3: Logan continues to argue with Rory about the article she wrote. Logan says, where do you get off acting all morally superior? Rory says, that is not what I intended to say at all. Logan says, you clearly think you are why because you read Iron Weed, because you saw Norma Ray. Iron Weed is a nineteen eighty three novel by William Kennedy which takes place during the Great Depression. Norma Ray is a nineteen seventy nine drama that is based on Krystalie Sutton as she tries to unionize her workplace and.
Speaker 4: Did you Know.
Speaker 3: Sally Field portrayed Norma Ray, which earned her an Oscar for Best Actress. Additionally, the film received a Standing Ovation at the Cannes Film Festival.
Speaker 4: This is when she said when she accepted The Warrior, you love me? You really love me, don't you write? When everybody's standing applotting for when she won the Oscar? Right? Was that it?
Speaker 2: I thought that was something later?
Speaker 4: Was that later?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But I mean it was that that was her first Oscar win, right, I mean it must have been the biggest moment of her career.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, I think that was a different acceptance speech though, like for a different Oscar.
Speaker 5: Christopher has a basket of clothes he is carrying and Lurla stops to go through it. She sees a shirt that Chris has and accuses him of stealing it, and Laura Lai says, this is my Police Synchronicity T shirt. I've been missing this for twenty two years. Synchronicity is the fifth album by the British rock band The Police. The album includes hit singles every Breath You Take, King of Pain, Wrapped Around Your Finger and did you Know. Despite their relatively short time together as a band, they achieved remarkable success. They have sold over seventy five million records, making them one of the best selling bands of all time.
Speaker 2: Lucy and Olivia read Rory's article and have some commentary. Rory says it's mean. Lucy says sort of. Lynn Hirschberg meets, I don't know, someone really mean, and Rory said, actually, I think that was Olivia that said that, not Lucy. But Rory says, what, no, No, I'm frand Liebowitz. It's supposed to be fun, frothy, lighthearted satire, social anthropology. I'm Tama Janowitz and Olivia says, a mean Tamma Janowitz. Lynn Hirschberg is a journalist who has written for Rolling Stone, Vanity Fair, and The New York Times, and currently w magazine. Frand Liebowitz is an author and public speaker who is known for her cynical social commentary on American life. And Tama Janowitz is a novelist and short story writer. Did you know? Lynn Hirstberg wrote a piece for Vanity Fair about Courtney Love where the article contained factual errors, one of them misrepresenting Courtney's heroin use.
Speaker 4: Hmm, well, isn't that interesting that? Well?
Speaker 3: Luke is at the hospital with April and is switching through TV channels. He then stops when he sees the black and white film The Philadelphia Story starring Carry Grant and Catherine Hepburn. So In the scene, Carrie Grant says, two years ago, I did you out of a wedding in this house by eloping to Maryland. This is significant because at the end of season six, Lorelei says to Luke let's Elope in Maryland, and Luke at the time didn't know what she meant. When he returned to win her back and said, I heard you mentioned Maryland or something. Now, after seeing this scene, it reminded him of Lorelei and he knows where she got it from. It makes him sad because he knows Laurai is now married to Chris and did you know. According to Reddit fans, they say the premise of The Philadelphia Story is parallel to the story of Luke and Loralai. In the film, Tracy, who's from an aristocratic family, is getting married to George, another wealthy type. Another wealthy type who she doesn't really love. Her ex husband, Dexter, who's not part of the old money click turns up and at the end the scene we see in Gilmore Girls, Tracy decides to marry Dexter again instead of George. The parallels are Tracy is Loralai, George is Christopher, and Dexter is Luke. That was in depth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know right, I think I got the better character name than Dexter. I agree. That's going to wrap it up for this brief version of pop culture. It was short, but it was sweet, wasn't it, folks. Next episode se An episode nine Knit, People Knit. Thank you ladies, Susan and French Daniel, Romo, Tara sud And we will see you next time. And remember, best fans on the planet. We love you, guys, keep the cards, letters coming, and always never forget. Does that make any sense at all? Always never forget that we.
Speaker 1: I am all in. Stay safe everyone, everybody, don't forget.
Speaker 4: Follow us on Instagram at I am all in pod cast, and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.