Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 3: This is mick Shots, streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys apt now Here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humoller, Effson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 2: And here it is. It's a Thursday edition of mix Shots inside the s WBC podcast studio. But this is not like previous episodes of mix Shots because our shining star is not here today is not It needs to be Savannah shots. Savannah.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 2: I like that it rolls off the better than Yeah, there's a literation there.
Speaker 5: She actually she's got a more important job.
Speaker 2: You know what's going on? And wait, what what are you wearing green?
Speaker 6: For?
Speaker 2: What's going on here? You realize who the opponent is this week.
Speaker 5: Mickey didn't go into any of my thoughts.
Speaker 2: Clearly it did not.
Speaker 4: And this is mix Shots. That's another reason we shame he's got.
Speaker 2: A Wisconsin's Wisconsin green flames.
Speaker 4: He is so unaware and with a T shirt.
Speaker 5: Underneath it, so he's supposed to have a white out or what y got a white shirt? I'm just going to show you how much green stands out in white.
Speaker 2: It does you never wear green, and then the week of the packers gave you put on green war.
Speaker 5: This last week.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, here we are. It's time to get ready for these packers. And as we go along here.
Speaker 5: He misses a day and comes back poking the bear, you knows, speaking of the Yeah, no, go.
Speaker 2: Ahead, Well it's Thursday. It's time to get serious about these packers. And I started getting serious about him last night. And I've got some cause for concern.
Speaker 5: We were serious about him yesterday.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we were right for those that were here.
Speaker 2: So, Micky, what can you tell us? I saw a couple of football players not in football gear on a football field when I walked in. Those were the veterans.
Speaker 5: We've we've been over that yesterday, that we got secrets. Now it's playoff time. Okay, so that's why they're indoors. You see football players.
Speaker 2: Right, Oh yeah, but but I did see a.
Speaker 5: Couple now, Oh that weren't. You're saying weren't practicing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe they weren't. Maybe they are more rest yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, it sounded as if that Tyler Smith would continue to be limited Stefan Gilmour probably not doing anything till Saturday, but he's very optimistic that he's playing. In matter of fact, he insisted on it yesterday with a harness on.
Speaker 2: By the way, in regards to Tyler Smith, you know how challenging it is to ask the head coach on his Coaches show that airs the night before the game with the Packers in.
Speaker 5: Town, what if he's playing?
Speaker 2: What do you think about Tyler Smith?
Speaker 5: He knows other people are watching the interview were I was the interviewer.
Speaker 2: We had an extra fifteen to twenty seconds, so I said, I'll just go ahead and throw out something on Tyler Smith.
Speaker 5: You got nothing.
Speaker 2: I expected nothing, and it was like, so what does he What will he need to accomplish this week in order to be able to play it? So you didn't get an ant, not really.
Speaker 5: He said he would do He was limited yesterday and he said he would do a little bit more today. So I guess that's encouraging. Zach Martin should be good to go talk to him yesterday and.
Speaker 2: The good news is he's he's and he feels better. Yeah, he's walking around and he's around other people.
Speaker 5: And like one hundred percent better because he said, you can't believe how bad it was on Sunday. So that's encouraging. Trying to think anybody else of significance that might have missed practice.
Speaker 2: But the Gilmour we talked about this the other day. I thank Everson wearing a harness for a cornerback.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: It's a little different now, probably than back in your day. Medical technology has probably improved a little bit.
Speaker 4: Hopeful.
Speaker 5: They probably didn't have hardness back.
Speaker 4: I wasn't testing it back then.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I never went into the trainer's room only too get my bunions shaved.
Speaker 4: That's the only reason they ever touched me.
Speaker 5: If his shoulder went out, they probably used tape.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, they probably would. But mine never went out. I mean it didn't even if it went out, I didn't tell anybody. I never let anyone know I was hurt, never let know I was injured.
Speaker 2: We want to talk about the elephant in the room, Belichick, Yep, you just noticed that up there. No, I mean Everson played for him. I know so well. I played for two saving also, so they get two elephants and we had three elephants in the last twenty four hours.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: Pete Pete Carroll and then and then.
Speaker 6: He was yeah, yeah, they got rid of me the year before they had the big year in ninety four. That's when they came to Dallas and they beat us and go on the goal line.
Speaker 4: That was That's when I was like, man, these.
Speaker 6: Guys two inches, they're better than when I was there last year. Terry Taylor was the cornerback that they replaced me with.
Speaker 4: He had a heck of a season. There was no you to admit that.
Speaker 6: Oh no, they were, they were. I was thirty three years old getting my butther out of there. Bro you know, I mean I still could have possibly played with him, but no, I didn't want to be one of those guys just hanging around, you know, just because you knew somebody. And that's why I went there to Cleveland because I knew you know. That was the only moment that I actually went to a place where coach kind of you know, vouched for me.
Speaker 4: So I was there for a couple of years, those two good years.
Speaker 2: Okay, so that was.
Speaker 4: Ninety two. They brought me in half season.
Speaker 2: So playing for Belichick and say, thirty one years ago, did you ever cross your mind that thirty years from now, these two would be regarded as the greatest of all time pro football in college for you never think that, and this is you had played for one of the greatest of all time and Tom Landry prior to that, and then Bill Purcells also And.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so I was used to good coaches, but they were already legends when I was there. Eddie was already a legend. Tom was already a legend. You know, pars Els was on his way. But then he comes Belichick as a defensive coordinator with the Giants. Never thought that he would be a head coach, and then when he became a head coach. No, I was not thinking he's going to be one of the greatest. I was just thinking, you know, he's going to be a good coach because his approach was professional and the way he treated his other coaches and the way the way they uh responded to his demands. They were all in Ron Springs came down there once just to have a good time because they they wanted him to teach them how to run a screen pass. And if you call Tom Landry had the best screen passes going in the league at the time. Tom Springs door set Preston Pearson. They all knew how to do it. So Ron was going to teach the guys in Cleveland how to do it. Well, you know, after that done all day, he's ready to go out and hang out and party a little bit, right his training camp. Yeah, we want to go out and hang out to have a good time. No one would leave the room until Belichick left the room. No one would leave the office until Belichick left the office.
Speaker 4: And so Ron is like, hey, man, let's go. They're like, no, man, coach is still in there. He go. People on Belichick.
Speaker 6: He's on the treadmill watching film, So it's gonna be a while. So Ron would always hang out and party with us. He couldn't hang out and party with the other coaches because they were on it. And this is training camp. They were on it because Belichick was back.
Speaker 2: Then, if you're on the treadmill watching film, it's not like you have an iPhone or you're watching it on the iPad or something.
Speaker 6: No, he's got it on the big screen in his hand, in his.
Speaker 4: Hand, and he's not walking. He's Johnny.
Speaker 5: You know what that reminds me of. Jason Garrett told the story when he was Saban's assistant in Miami. He was the quarterback coach, and it was the year Troy Aikman was going in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and this is the fear he put in his assistant coaches.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: So Garrett was like, well, it was training camp and it wasn't a preseason game, but they had practice on the Saturday, and he wanted to go to Troy's induction, right, So he said he finally worked up the nerve to ask Saban if he could maybe just kind of and he was like, one practice right the way he said it, And Saban looked at him and said it said, do you think you're so important that if you missed a practice screw things up?
Speaker 6: We were there with with Nick. Nick was all in with Belichick, I guess because he was a d C. Belichick, you know, kind of related to him more. And I just remember Nick being extremely intense. You know, he would stand up at the at the the chalkboard and well the whiteboard, and he would just rock back and forth as he looked at you intensely. It just he just rocked back and forth. His mind was already you know three or four you know, lessons ahead but we're talking about this right now, and he wants you to go, Okay, get it out, get it.
Speaker 4: Out, get out, let's go, let's go. We got things to do, and.
Speaker 6: We would just move on from from defense to defense or subject to subject. So he was he was more intense than Belichick. I thought the man was going to have health problems way before he left Cleveland because he.
Speaker 4: Was extremely tight and intense.
Speaker 6: You never saw him relax. And then when they cut me, I was, you know, kind of upset about it. And I was flying home at one point. I think I came to visit some people up there, and I was flying home one around Christmas and here's Nick Saban on the on the plane and he comes up to me. His face looks totally different. It's bright, it's happy. You know, he's got his family with him. He introduced me to his family. And I'm trying to be mad at him, right he would not allow me to be mad at him. I went up and met the wife and the kids, and you know, and he was just so happy. So in the off season, at that moment when he took that vacation, he let all of that go. But when you come back to the facility. He's that mister intensity.
Speaker 5: So are you surprised each of them just decided this was enough?
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 6: I'm surprised you guys like that was You know, they're like Eddie Robinson And.
Speaker 2: For both of them, they are sons of coaches. In fact, Nick coached under Belichick's dad.
Speaker 4: At Navy, Yeah two? And was he at the West Point?
Speaker 2: Is that the Navy Naval.
Speaker 5: So you you mentioned Bear Bryant, I coach I coached. I covered his final game. It was at the Liberty Bowl in nineteen eighty one. And as matter of fact, I got a little certificate that I was at his last game. They gave it to all the writers, right, And I remember after the game they beat I want to say, Illinois in the Liberty Bowl, which was played mid December, not on New Year's Day or anything like that. And it was cold, and I remember they didn't have a room for him to do his postgame press comm difference in so they have him standing on like a milk carton crate or whatever. H And I'm looking at him and it's freezing outside, and he just looked so ashy, right, and he had already announced his retirement that that was going to be his last game. So it was mid December by January twenty six, and this is when I was working in Jackson, Mississippi. I was going to Tuscaloosa for his funeral, and it's like he wasn't going anymore.
Speaker 6: Died a monthly, ediebb the same way, Eddue Robbins in the same way.
Speaker 4: It didn't take long at all, natural his deathbed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, patnal too.
Speaker 2: Right, Saban, sounds like he's done. I mean he's retired. It doesn't sound like Belichick is retired. Sounds like Belichick is in the mix.
Speaker 4: What did he say? Did he sound like that? Is that just your belief?
Speaker 2: Did hey?
Speaker 4: Because I just believe that he's not done. I don't know if he's going.
Speaker 2: And I did look to the press conference and I went into it with that mindset he's going to keep coaching. I mean, just the wording of it was, we've decided to part ways, and UH like it. You know, it's a patriot's decision.
Speaker 4: I just so he probably was. He will not be back as a head coach, that's the word.
Speaker 5: When they move him into the front office like Carroll, And I don't know, and I'm not convinced Carol is going to do that either.
Speaker 2: I mean, and you listen to Pete Carroll and he's ready to go. In fact, if I'm the Chargers, I am, well, either one of those guys, but Pete Carroll and Los Angeles with the Chargers, that's exactly what they need, you know, as far as a pr standpoint familiar and a defensive coach, and they need to do something with their defense. And he's working with a quarterback. But he's got potential. Yeah, he's got immediate cred with the populace in LA, you know, with sc and you know he said, seem he's a southern calip seems like a southern California.
Speaker 4: You know, if you were I can't see BELI said going west.
Speaker 2: I'm the same way.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's never been west of the Mississippi and all his coaching has been over on this side.
Speaker 5: If you were Washington, would you hire Saban.
Speaker 2: After I mean, after their experience with Spurrier? Saban has NFL coaching experience, though, I mean.
Speaker 5: Would he I mean, there's so many open jobs now in the NFL. I mean, I know he's said what is he said, what about Belichiw?
Speaker 2: Yeah, in Washington.
Speaker 5: But I just thought Saban, you know, just backing out like that, and just I mean the day before he was interviewing coaches for his assistant jobs.
Speaker 6: Right, I don't know, he seemed like he still has the energy for it.
Speaker 2: The difference with Saban is the change in college football now. I mean, that's what I was going to bring up for him to be able to continue to prolong it. I mean, I think there was a comment from him that these quoters saying, well, what if we go waiting for somem here.
Speaker 5: I mean it's like, well, they've already they've already you could easily go eighting for one year. He's already had like a dozen or two players going into the portal they want to transfer.
Speaker 4: To me, it's like being in the pros anyway.
Speaker 5: So yeah, the way to the NFL.
Speaker 2: He won't have as many first round draft picks on his rush.
Speaker 5: But you don't have to recruit eighteen year old kids, right, you don't have to deal with nils, you don't have to deal with the transfer portal, and.
Speaker 4: You've got gown man. They pretty much to understand where you're coming from right right away.
Speaker 2: But you are destined to go eight and nine and okay, well maybe he wasn't as great a coach as we thought he was.
Speaker 6: And do you have time for someone seventy plus years old? Yeah, yeah, for a number of years.
Speaker 2: But in the NFL, let's face it. I mean, it's the head coaching jobs in the NFL last from about six months to three years and you're out.
Speaker 5: I just think it'd be less headaches to be in the NFL. Although you can't you can't recruit a quarterback. You got to find one, right, You.
Speaker 4: Don't have to repeat yourself so much in the pros.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, for both for Saban and Belichick, it's got to be with ownership that allows them to do their thing, you know, and they'd have to have a quote unquote GM alongside them.
Speaker 6: That if they have any you know, does Nick have any contexts in Washington or.
Speaker 5: I just throw out Washington and you know it's a kind of high profile owner.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I don't see him go into like Carolina or something like that, although he'd be a god there in the South.
Speaker 2: The last coach lasted three months. Not even all right, we're just getting started on this edition of a Mixed Shots. Let's take a look at Lombardi's packers when we come back in just a moment.
Speaker 7: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and.
Speaker 8: They snapped the press down.
Speaker 2: Who looks right, it's not there. He escaped flapped.
Speaker 5: He'll look pull a pers down.
Speaker 2: Just like football.
Speaker 7: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands, says twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 2: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 7: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 4: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 7: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 9: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing.
Speaker 10: Pepsi baby the yin to this.
Speaker 9: Burgers. Yeah, burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of let us, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice cooled Kola A journey to Fotopia. Burgers better with pepsi, That's what I like.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 8: Did you know they're responding to one spam call can lead to more? Or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone. Beat scammers at their own game by subscribing to aarp P fraud Watch network alerts and texts at aa arp dot org slash Beat Scammers t X, you can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's a a r P dot org slash Beat Scammers t X, dem shots.
Speaker 6: K Post Roofing and Waterproofing, the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys. Sorry, guys, I know my voice doesn't sound nearly as.
Speaker 2: We miss you.
Speaker 5: You know, we found out she was a star surfer in high school. Really yeah, soccer player, oh really yeah. The uncovered that yesterday.
Speaker 6: She said she was did so much running the uses to run now to this day.
Speaker 2: Did they have a surf team in high school in sandyeg sir team?
Speaker 5: Yes, really, she said, had surf class, she had like gym class. She could go practice for the team and it was walking distance.
Speaker 4: To the ocean and just had her on board.
Speaker 5: And that one you'll have to have a good question question.
Speaker 2: All right, So you you discussed the Packers yesterday. What was your We discussed your overall take on this Packers team.
Speaker 5: We discussed their running game and something that Mike McCarthy voiced, uh uh, you know, worried about going into this game.
Speaker 2: Mike McCarthy voice that he is worried about.
Speaker 5: And he said that we've got to be very uh diligent in our run defense and they will run the football and have been very good at it. And he's right as I looked into.
Speaker 2: It, he's familiar with that running back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he'd been there one of the only guys. I think Aaron Jones was there when he.
Speaker 2: Was fifth round draft pick in twenty seventeen, and he's come on strong here after he got healthy again. Last three games as over one hundred yards rushing in them, yep, all three games.
Speaker 5: So we yeah, we kind of discussed that stuff.
Speaker 2: Five point seven yards of carry in those.
Speaker 5: Three games, yes, and he'll catch the ball on you too, by the way. But one thing I saw on Jordan Love. He's the third NFL quarterback in his first full season starting to throw for four thousand yards and thirty two or more touchdowns.
Speaker 2: He's the third one.
Speaker 5: First season with multiple starts. Okay, the other two Kurt Warner in nineteen ninety nine and Patrick Maholmes mahomes and twenty eighteen. So he came on as the season progressed.
Speaker 2: I'll say. And how about this his numbers the last eight games.
Speaker 5: I know he's also he's also the first Packers quarterback to lead the team to the postseason since nineteen fifty.
Speaker 11: Say that Bobby one more time, first in Green Bay quarterback to lead the Packers into the postseason in his first year since nineteen fifty.
Speaker 5: I don't know if it was Curly Lambeau or that was a little bit, a little bit before, and I think it took Bart Starr at least a year or two before he did it.
Speaker 2: Just compare Jordan Love's numbers his last eight games to Dak Prescott the last eight games now Love, the Packers have won six of those eight games, okay, and the Cowboys have won six of those eight games. Dak's streak actually goes a game more than that. The Cowboys are seven and two the last nine games. But just to make it level playing field, eight games, okay, Dak one hundred and ninety eight completions two hundred ninety attempts, Love one hundred ninety six completions two hundred and seventy nine attempts. So DAK is at sixty eight percent, Love at seventy percent DAK twenty one hundred and one yards passing. Love twenty one hundred and fifty eight yards passing. That's seven point seven yards per attempt for Love, seven point two yards at per attempt for DAK. Touchdowns nineteen for DAK, eighteen for Love. Interceptions three for DAK, one for Love. He's got. They mirror each other in their statistics and running the football. They're both about this. Deck's a little bit more. Twenty four carries one hundred and seven yards. Love not a real run threat, but can nineteen for sixty five from two touchdowns sacks. I don't have Dak sacks here, but Love has only been sacked eleven times in those eight games.
Speaker 4: And Deck has been sacked more than eleven times.
Speaker 5: And yeah, you realized his thirty two touchdown passes or second to.
Speaker 2: Deck overall over the overall season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, second.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So but they've got off to a two and five start. And really this coincides the week before Thanksgiving. Okay, they beat the Chargers. I think it was twenty three to twenty the Sunday before Thanksgiving. And then I remember turning on the TV before going to the stadium on Thanksgiving Day and go on, wha, the Packers are up on the Lions. How about this? Well that's basically where they started their role. They beat the Lions on the road, and then the next week they beat Kansas City at home and that got them to six and six on the season. Then they like the Cowboys. It gets lesser opponents than the Cowboys. When the Cowboys lose in December to Buffalo and Miami back to back. Well, they lost back to back games to the Giants in Tampa Bay. A little bit different there. And now they won three in a row to closed out the regular season.
Speaker 4: And they've had some injuries at the wide receiver position.
Speaker 2: And most notably Christian Watson.
Speaker 6: And he's missed last affected Jordan one way or the other.
Speaker 5: Right, he missed the last five games.
Speaker 2: Right, he got hurt in the Kansas City game. And man, and.
Speaker 4: We've talked about that. You got hurt in the Kansas City game.
Speaker 2: And they lost the next Let's see, they lost the next two after he got hurt, but they won the last three. And again, the competition has not been great Carolina, Minnesota and Chicago. But and it's what's impressive about them is their young the wide receivers are and the tight ends. I mean, they basically decided when Aaron Rodgers was done there, Okay, we're not keeping any of these veteran guys. We're going all we're drafting wide receivers, whether it's a second round, fourth round, sixth round, will draft them in every round, and or a tight end. And that's that's what they've done. And they've given playing time to them and they've performed.
Speaker 4: Yes, they have impressive.
Speaker 2: I mean Jaden their rookie. There are two top rookie wide receivers, Jaden Reed, second rounder out of Michigan State, Dantavian Wicks, fifth rounder out of Virginia. Those two have combined for fourteen touchdowns this season. Reid has eight touchdown catches two touchdown runs, Wicks has four touchdown catches. And then their second year guys from last year, Romeo Dobbs and Christian Watson. Dobbs has eight touchdowns and Watson before where he got hurt, five touchdowns. So they've those two have are buying for thirteen touchdowns between them.
Speaker 5: He had more passing yards than Stroud, Stafford and Hurts. So yeah, this is I got this feeling that everybody thinks this is well, they're nine and eight.
Speaker 2: It's a walking I was. I was looking at him going and I'm guilty of it. I'm sat right here on Monday, I think and said, all right, one of the best things that happened to the Cowboys on Sunday was Carson Wentz and the Rams. They come back and they beat the Niners, and so now they don't have to play the Rams, they get to play the Packers.
Speaker 4: Then I started studying the background stafford.
Speaker 2: Here's the here's the concerning thing. I think this Packers team's got nothing to lose. They got they've they drafted thirteen players. Nine of those rookies play prominent roles on this team. They're not supposed to be here with that young roster, right, and so they go into this. You know they can free wheel. I guarante. I don't guarantee it, but I bet you first play of the game, you know what they're gonna do.
Speaker 4: Go deep.
Speaker 2: They're going deep, that's what they I went back and look at the Lions gap, especially of Watson's playing now, Christian Watson. I saw an interview with him yesterday and he says he's like eighty eighty five percent whatever, and he's he's one or percent sure he's going to play, but it's up to the coaches whatever. We'll see if he's there or not. But first play of the game against the Lions, they went deep to Christian Watson for about a fifty yard play.
Speaker 5: Well, he sort of had his coming out party against.
Speaker 2: The Cowboy three touchdowns against the Cowboys last year. So yeah, and of course we loved him in the draft. The knock on him was he can't catch, but yeah, he thought was touchdown path. He just touchdown passes the other you know he about but there is there is truth in that. I think the way he catches the ball, it's kind of a to look, you know, like he cradles it and but he runs like.
Speaker 4: Which is a bad thing for us.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 5: I saw on On on the Packers' website. Uh, Larry McCarron. They're old or I should say former offensive line I think offensive lineman.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 5: Uh, he was doing this deal about this team's not ready to quit, and he had all these little videos that he was showing guys blocking their defensive guys. And then the young wide receiver Melton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bow Melton, Bow Melton.
Speaker 4: That's the one they were showing.
Speaker 2: He's come on here after Watson's injury. Melton's got an opportunity.
Speaker 4: With the speed.
Speaker 5: Yeah, on like end the rounds, he can scoot, then he run.
Speaker 2: He ran a four to three fourth to come.
Speaker 5: He's another turpin out of Rutgers.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: He's five eleven nine, a little bigger, but and he was actually draft by Seattle in the seventh round. I liked him coming out of the draft, and I was surprised that he wasn't getting an opportunity. But now he's getting his opportunity. He's making the most of it.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 2: It's a short sample size, but he's got sixteen catches for two hundred and eighteen yards. Yeah, and it's all come here lately.
Speaker 4: I was trying to see perfect timing for us. Huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then their tight ends they drafted to this year. Luke Musgrave, he got hurt a lacerated kidney, but he's now back played last week, and Tucker Craft is a Musgrave was a second rounder and they doubled up and took Tucker Craft in the third round. So two more rookies right there. I mean, it's amazing for Packer fans. There's a lot of hope for the future and Cowboys just hope that the future doesn't.
Speaker 4: Start now.
Speaker 5: Sort of way it did with Aaron Rodgers right second half of that game. And was it two thousand and seven to eight when he they knocked out Brett Favre and Rogers took over. The Cowboys already had a big lead, but he had a really good second half and that was like his coming out party.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: I think it was like the first time in forever the Cowboys beat the Packers.
Speaker 6: I think they have to be feeling really good about themselves as the front office, you know, because the controversy with Aaron Rodgers and what to do with him, and you had these Roger fans that just wanted him to stay forever. And of course they were really dogging Jordan Love when they've drafted him.
Speaker 4: They looked at that as.
Speaker 5: Because he was at an instant startup, right.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: I think it's a good little testimony to for NFL teams that both the Packers and the Rams and what they have done as far as redoing their roster, going with youth and drafting, and you know, the Rams had to do it, and the Packers for that matter too, they had a veteran roster and they had to turn it over at some point and here they are. They both made the playoffs this year after going with the youth.
Speaker 6: I remember Matthew Staffer's wife complaining about how Matthew can't even communicate with half the kids on the team because they're kids.
Speaker 4: Uh huh. He was so much younger than he.
Speaker 6: And he ended up of course, you know, reminting that situation helping lead these guys to the playoffs.
Speaker 2: All right, So anyway, that's that was my cause for concern after looking at the Packers.
Speaker 4: It costs for concern now, I'm sure, but just looking at the same way.
Speaker 2: Having having said that, I do like the veteran Cowboys secondary against these young wide receivers too, And there's nothing there's something to be said when we come back here. In a moment, Everson tell us that there is something to be said for playoff experience too. Would we come back on Mixshire.
Speaker 10: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 12: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite.
Speaker 4: What a pairing can.
Speaker 12: Cracks a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday Morning Swag Brisky and the Smoker, Miller Lite and the Creek, America's team playing America's Greatest School. Miller Lyte the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller. Time to Break Responsibly twenty twenty three, Miliberal Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 8: Did you know that responding to one spam call can lead to more? Or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone? Beat scammers at their own game. By subscribing to AARP Fraud Watch Network alerts and texts. At AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, you can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX.
Speaker 10: You know that sound anywhere.
Speaker 9: It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for at a delicious, refreshing Pepsi and We've achieved absolute nacho nirvana because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping.
Speaker 2: There's no topping of school PEPSI.
Speaker 9: Finish nachos better with PEPSI.
Speaker 2: That's what I like.
Speaker 4: The Star District.
Speaker 6: Enjoy premier dining, shopping and experiences from over twenty plus restaurants, shops, and more at the Star District. Check out women's boutique, Flea Style of Frisco and the official boot partner of the Dallas Cowboys, Luke Casey.
Speaker 4: That's Lucasey, Okay.
Speaker 6: Enjoy New Year's celebrations at Snowbird Cocktail Lounge, Concrete Cowboy and City Works, Eatery and Poorhouse. Visit the stardistrict dot com for.
Speaker 4: The full directory tomorrow. Thank god she will be.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, we need.
Speaker 2: To go to lunch.
Speaker 4: This. I thought you enjoyed doing that, and I just hated to hear Spags do it.
Speaker 13: Well back at you, because usually on her home game, she takes Friday and she's at the stadium.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: She said, well, well, we'll make sure and ship these readings to her.
Speaker 5: She said she wouldn't miss clicks to pick.
Speaker 2: He's feeling lucky, all right, So what else is on your legal pass?
Speaker 5: Brandon Aubrey Special Teams Player of the Month. About that another little feather in his cap? You know, I was thinking, you realize the cowboy. Dak Prescott led the league with thirty six touchdown passing. CD led the league with one hundred and thirty five receptions. Deron Bland led the league with nine interceptions. Aubrey Aubrey led the league with one hundred and fifty seven points if I remember correctly, uh and Anger finished second in average punt and average net punt. So they've had some That.
Speaker 4: Is our.
Speaker 6: You know, he's our really undercovered hero of this season. I mean, this guy, he gets us out of trouble right every time.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 5: It was just pretty remarkable on the you know, some of the performances they had to get to.
Speaker 4: Michael led the league and precious.
Speaker 5: Yeah that's not an official staff, but it's somebody else whoever pro football. Yeah, somebody else who covers that big stuff by.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean it was mentioned on Nationwide TV.
Speaker 2: That's everyone else football focused. It's becoming a pre eminent except for making Vickey will never ignore the FF right, that's right. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I just acknowledged the NFL official stats.
Speaker 2: It's like they've become a partner with the NFL. But no, not keep now.
Speaker 5: If their next gen stats, I'll cite those, We'll go to Jesus. Yeah, because I don't know. I trust the NFL stats. You know, still don't trust how they do it.
Speaker 2: All right, you don't know. They don't know what the player was assigned to do on the place.
Speaker 5: Right, like like my perception. I think we talked about it yesterday ever since, after Gilmour went out, Nashwan Wright goes in at left corner and we were talking. To my mind, I'm going, well, I know where the next past is going, right, And so I went up and talked to him about it, and he goes, yeah, you know, I was kind of ready for it because when I went in that Miami game, first play, they put Tyreek Hill on my side and they threw it to him. But he said, but that was really the only one. And he goes, this time, I think they might have thrown my at my side one time. They didn't. They didn't come after me. And I said, well, either there, you did a really good job, or they're foolish one of the two, and or the pressure. He laughed. The pressure, Yeah, yeah, but they didn't go after.
Speaker 2: Him, or they were thinking about where their next job will be because.
Speaker 6: They were about You gotta look at who they were playing in the position that that team was in.
Speaker 5: So, but you know, he's the I mean, he's the backup corner if Gilmore, you know, something happens.
Speaker 6: If you're gonna look, if you're gonna look that way, you got to look through Michael Passu's right.
Speaker 5: And if he's rushing from the left side.
Speaker 6: Left side, I mean most likely that's where he's gonna come from. The law even likes it over there sometimes, well.
Speaker 5: They both kind of switch back and forth, they do. But yeah, you're right, that's a that's a good point because I mean, I guess you can give help over there, right, depending on how you're playing your safety, you can have your safety.
Speaker 4: Yeah, kind of lean that way.
Speaker 2: A note from the Packers practice field cornerback JayR Alexander is not practicing today because of an ankle injury, not the shoulder. Aj Dillon, the running back, again not practicing because of his neck injury. Elgin Jenckens starting left guard isn't going either, though that appears to be more of a maintenance day. It's an update from Green Bay.
Speaker 5: Which he's one of their two running backs with more than six hundred yards of rushing.
Speaker 4: He is the.
Speaker 2: Definitely the thunder portion of the two hundred and forty seven pounds.
Speaker 6: A huge man and like one you say you probably walk around to sixty.
Speaker 4: He weighed in into twenty five.
Speaker 2: AJ Dillon AJ Dillon at the combine. He measured six foot two forty seven four or five with a ten eleven broad jump and a forty one vertical. That's some explosion, my guy.
Speaker 6: Forty one vertical, forty one vertical, that's amazing.
Speaker 5: Well, he's coming at him if he's playing, Yes, if he's playing. And I got reminded last night when I was looking at it. Four of the Cowboys five losses, they've given up at least one hundred and nine yards rushing in those in those four games, and that includes two twenty two to Arizona and two sixty six to Buffalo.
Speaker 6: Let's be real, guys, the only thing that stops the opposing team from consistently running on us is because we keep scoring, get a lead, right once we score, then you know, Washington could have easily kept running the ball if we would have stayed behind ten to seven or whatever the score was at that time. But but the fact that we're able, we were able to answer with Tony Pollard and Dak coming down the field. Now they're switching their gears. Okay, guys, we can't keep running the ball because they're going to be bringing it.
Speaker 2: And it's been the run defense has been improved here the last couple of weeks. It's just amazing to me that the personnel on the field that And to Dan Quinn's credit, you know, he's and one of the reasons why he's a hot item as far as head coaching opportunities around the league. He evolves with the game, you know, and he is he is at the front of putting extra dbs on the field and converting a safety down into linebacker type whatever. And but you're sitting you see him line up, and you go, they don't have enough big people on the field to stop the run. And then but then they're able to at times, and then you know, and it's an aggressive approach defensively, and then you look at other teams and you go.
Speaker 6: Front and yeah, like d Long Hankins can shoot the gap and they save us out.
Speaker 4: They save us.
Speaker 5: And if you remember last year in the thirty one twenty eight lost, I mean that lost to Green Bay in overtime. They ran for two hundred and seven yards.
Speaker 2: Well Aaron Jones at one hundred and thirty seven, I think, yeah, I gave something.
Speaker 4: Like big whole chain around his neck. They go to the sidelines, Hey, way to go.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so yeah, this is this is not a cakewalk. I think people need to understand that. The way everybody's treating it, like, wow, if you lose this game, gotta fire Mike McCarthy, I.
Speaker 6: Know everybody's I love how when it comes to the Cowboys there's no celebration.
Speaker 4: It's always consequences. Hey, these guys are here, they're doing a good job. Who has the most pressure, Well, if they lose, it's gonna be okay, guys, can we.
Speaker 2: Just get to be a cell of the celebration of the first round?
Speaker 4: Win?
Speaker 6: Every every week we win, it's uh, you know, we saved our jobs.
Speaker 5: That's just Well, did somebody ask McCarthy today? You knows the pressure on you because you're the play caller too.
Speaker 4: It's like, okay.
Speaker 5: I think his answer was, oh, so this this is all about pressure.
Speaker 4: That's that's what we're looking forward with you guys.
Speaker 2: He sees through the narratives.
Speaker 5: Yeah, real quickly too, Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 2: All right, Well it's gonna be very interesting and soon.
Speaker 4: Want it to be too interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing. If the Cowboys play their game, they're gonna be Okay, okay, it's right. My main, my main concern with this Packers team is they got nothing to lose.
Speaker 5: Sort of the way Washington started off playing that game, right, Yeah, go for it on fourth down, Fake this fake.
Speaker 2: That first play is going to be either a deep ball or it's going to be Jalen reed on an end around. Mark my words. They're going to come out with something.
Speaker 4: Hey, if we win the toss, what do we do?
Speaker 5: You know what I want to do. I want the ball.
Speaker 4: I'm keeping the ball.
Speaker 5: I want to go down and score and make them play ketchup.
Speaker 4: We're at home too.
Speaker 6: I'm keeping the ball unless it's run down and score on them and they okay, what's you got now?
Speaker 4: Right now?
Speaker 2: Take it to them. That's the thing you with a young you can't let them believe that they can hang with you.
Speaker 5: Plus, you know, with the crowd in a frenzy, though they might think, well, let them go out on offense first. Get a taste of this. Ninety three thousand crowd sounds cute.
Speaker 4: Now I don't like it?
Speaker 2: All right, all right, here's your homework assignment. I want you to go look at Jordan Love, okay, and you tell me about his the way he throws the ball, and come back here tomorrow and let me know what you think. I've got an opinion about uh, what makes me I'm surprised he hasn't thrown more interceptions than he.
Speaker 5: Has because he throws off his back foot.
Speaker 2: And didn't say that, Okay, I did. We're going to discuss that tomorrow on a shot.
Speaker 5: I give an eye on it.
Speaker 2: It will be a fabulous fight song Football Friday Edition to mix shots tomorrow. We'll see you tomorrow a high noon, Go Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.