Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been really nice. I would say, like we I officially left on Thursday, but it took me maybe until like yesterday to feel like I was on vacation.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 1: I was a little tense. I was a little like still checking my work email. They were a couple of things that I left loosely tied up that just needed to be put you know, boson up to Sunday evening. And then we left Seattle and got to where we are now on the San Juan Islands and did some whale watching yesterday. And when I saw my first Orca whale, I was like in vacation mindset, go, no, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: The trip, oh my god. I did not even want to go on the teen trip because I like the same thing. There was so much work, and literally I was working all night welcome in the morning. I was working until like the uber.
Speaker 3: Came and finally I was like I did like the core of like what I had to have to do. There were still things, like, you know, little things outstanding, but I was like, honestly, I just want.
Speaker 2: To stay and finish it. I just but I ended up having the best time.
Speaker 3: I can't, I mean, with ten women when I say at a ten, it was a twenty with how much we got along.
Speaker 2: I mean, it definitely helped that we booked a house.
Speaker 3: The house that we booked was originally when we thought we were going to have fourteen people, so it was eleven bedrooms. Eleven people came, so basically everyone had their own bedrooms. So I'm sure that helped a lot. Yeah, but it was such a good time. Honestly, everyone is so dope and dynamic. It just was a really really good time. But like, I don't we could do like I know, you want to make this like a Q and A episode.
Speaker 1: No, I mean this is let's you catch me up, but I want to know about your VACA. I'm recording the people are doing this.
Speaker 3: It was honestly, it was it was everything that like we needed because we like, well, first of all, none of us had not none, but most of us had not met before, so it was very much like a reunion of like, hey person, I video chat and have phone calls with and slack with. So there was eleven of us plus Jabri, my business partner, so he was the only guy, and then there was we had a private chef and he was a guy too, So the house was beautiful. Our plans were the first night just to kind of hang out, eat and then watched Napoli Ever after.
Speaker 2: Have you seen that movie?
Speaker 1: I watched that. I watched about half of it a couple of nights ago.
Speaker 2: But go ahead.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, but no, no no, I think we're getting to the point now go ahead.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I definitely was like, what the hell?
Speaker 3: But you know what, for a group of women like having a slumber party, it was a great slumber party group.
Speaker 2: Like if I was I would have turned it off long ago.
Speaker 1: I wish. I wish I had ten black girlfriends with me when I was watching it too, because my husband was like, what is.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you your brother Feli he was story.
Speaker 3: We were like, can't help here was a story after like like twenty minutes. So that was the first day so that was funny. Plus the chef that his food was amazing, shout out to chef m.
Speaker 2: Todd.
Speaker 3: And the second day we just went to Universal Studios, which was a ton of fun, especially we got kid kids because it's so funny how adults all get tired at the same time.
Speaker 2: Because you should have seen we were walking toward riding five U tever.
Speaker 3: But it was like I'm over it, Like you know, we're a baby Supergirl and we're like five nor ride.
Speaker 2: I looked there but his face, I was like you want to go there? We're like yes, child, So but universal was like a ton of fun.
Speaker 3: And then that night we went to a comedy show and then the next day we did a spy like BarreR.
Speaker 2: Who is my executive Adamant.
Speaker 3: She and she and Tambor, who actually used to live Tamor is the manager of the academy.
Speaker 2: She used to live in Florida, so she helped her find a really great spy.
Speaker 3: Was beautiful like a Dracuzzie steam room, and we basically took it over so everyone got a massage and you got to pick whether you wanted a peicure or a manicure. And then we did team building activities. You know what we did and Yadale child to you, mama. She was like, tell Mandy, we finally did the this test.
Speaker 2: Oh you did, Mandy.
Speaker 1: It was every day can you guess what I am?
Speaker 2: I s what the hell? Yes?
Speaker 1: I bet your mama couldn't guess what you are?
Speaker 3: But I know, yeah, when we took it Mandy. It was so helpful, And yeah, it was so cute because yat Alice was like, tell Mandy.
Speaker 2: Because she listens like religiously to the podcast.
Speaker 3: Tell Mandy we finally did this test because she does it like at her job.
Speaker 2: I think, ya, I don't know she does HR, but she like does stuff like this for where her full time job where she works.
Speaker 3: And it was so helpful, Mandy, Oh my goodness, because I got to see there's something people you know, like, you're totally a D.
Speaker 2: So we don't know. Can you explain what the DISC test is again?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So a DISC test stands for it's D I, S C, and it's one of these personality tests. But DISC is a little bit different because it and the way that I've been taught about it is that it shows you what your work personality is, how you interact in the workplace. And I forget what all the letters stand for all the time, but I think, so, if you're high D, it means you have a more dominating personality. If your high I, you're more social. You like to interact with people, and S is a it's sort of your level of wanting to help others and be service in service of others and a C I think is caution. So this is people who think carefully before they make a decision. Yeah, and it's really so. I did this at my company and it's it's really cool because you get to sort of understand not just how you operate, but why that person over there is always chatty in the morning, how annoying they are. Help helps, you see.
Speaker 2: Because it was so crazy because I see now.
Speaker 3: I was like ooh, because like, for example, there people on the team that.
Speaker 2: They're like eyes, you know, were really social and chatty and I see that, like ooh, she's a D.
Speaker 3: So all of this like pre chatting that I've been doing, I know, shut up, let's get to the thing like that.
Speaker 2: So now I know. But it was so.
Speaker 3: Helpful because it's like like Yadlis did such a great She's the youngest of all the Unicorn Squad members and members of the team, and she did such a great job really explaining you know, like the different kind of like attributes that she gave us like a cheat sheet where it's like I can understand, like Jabrill, who my business partner, is a classic D. You know, get down to the money, get down to brass tacks, let's go, you know, and it's like, okay, so now understanding like what I love is it? We got to see like what stresses out a D or an I or c R S, what's helpful to them?
Speaker 2: How do they view success? It was just so helpful.
Speaker 3: And then one of my friends who used was wanted an Academy expert. She came just say she listens Florida, and she really just gave us some really great outside feedback of what she sees for the as the business, like you know, what are some of our things that we do really well? What are some of our areas of opportunities? Because she herself is a really amazing business woman. Her name is Dontec and she teaches folks who have ideas and how to transform them into like actual inventions that you could like sell a like Walmart, Target or whatever. So her feedback was amazing and we were like so many things that we didn't see that we were like I didn't from the outside. Seeing it from another business woman's eyes were just amazing.
Speaker 2: And then that night we took them out to Not Fancies. Man, did have you ever heard of Magiano? No?
Speaker 1: Oh, Magiana's Yeah, I had my I went. I went there for prom dinner, like my senior prom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it was like, so it's like family style.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, delicious?
Speaker 3: I remember, Yes, it was so because we were gonna go on site, so we stayed at this place called Encore, which I had never really seen this before, but it's like it's a resort, but she looks like you're in a neighborhood because instead of like an apartment, like instead of like you know, like I guess a hotel room, it's like these are homes that you can rent and so all of the homes are like rented out to like, you know, vacationers. And so we stayed at one called Encore, and it was really nice except for like their We were gonna eat at their fancies, fancy restaurant on our last night.
Speaker 2: But once they saw what we looked.
Speaker 3: Like, they were like, yeah, there's no space really really because we just made the reservation.
Speaker 2: Wait what oh well we'll happen.
Speaker 3: Yes, we'll have to put you outside at nine flack at night. So we were like, yeah, actually we're good. So they'll be getting all the YELP revis because one thing I am when it comes to people treating me poor me in service and I am I am social media petty. I will write you up on every platform. Out They're like, yeah, so if you're black, might want to watch out.
Speaker 1: I don't get it. You guys had a reservation and they didn't give you a table.
Speaker 3: But yeah, they were just like because of the team was like, oh, they wanted to go for a walk. They said, well, let's walk by the restaurant and see how it looks. We walked by and they she said, everyone has stopped and was looking like wait, who were these groups of like.
Speaker 2: Black women and brown women?
Speaker 3: And you know, they just went like, oh, we just want to see the restaurant because we've been in a reservation. And they were like, oh, we're really we're booked and she's like really because we booked online and it's not booked and secondly, we've already booked a reservation. Oh well, we're not really gonna have space, but we can definitely put you outside, I mean outside in Florida at.
Speaker 2: Nine, so we could be eating up by mosquitoes.
Speaker 3: So we ended up thankfully finding you know the Maggi Magiano Maiano. Yeah, yeah, we ended up finding that Mestra and it's like an Italian family style, so they were just as loud, which was awesome. So we had a really good time there. Honestly, Maddie, it was like I never realized how important like team building and things were. Like we were already good, but it just put everyone in a state of like just greater understanding of.
Speaker 2: Like what our roles are, what we're working toward.
Speaker 3: Everyone came back so refreshed, and so the team so Jabrill. It was his idea, and we paid for everything by setting aside two percent of our of our gross income from the beginning of We started saving in January and February, and then when we got enough money saved, we paid for flight, we got more, we paid for the house, we got more, and so slowly but surely we paid for it that way, and it just made it easier than paying some lump sum and figuring out where's the money come from. So yeah, I encourage anyone who has a digital team to plan something like that, And even if you can't do it in the first year, you might save for two years to be able to do something. And I'm telling you groupon as your friend, because that's where you used a lot like it doesn't have to cost it.
Speaker 2: It can cost as much or as little as you as you wanted to cost. But it was an awesome time.
Speaker 1: I actually used a group on on our We did a whale watching tour yesterday and I didn't really I haven't, Like I said, I haven't planned. We planned like nothing for this trip. So we got to the ferry to come to the island and then I pulled up group on to see like what well watching tours were available, and then a lot of these tours, like if you're trying to plan last minute on groupon, they have a they tell you you can't use it for seventy two hours. And I was like, oh crap, but I call one of the places, one of the I tried to find the one that was highly most highly rated, and I called them and I told him I wanted a group on one of the group on deal and they were like, okay, well, we'll honor the price over the phone because of you know, the seventy two hour rule, which I thought was really nice of them. So we ended up saving like one hundred bucks on our.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: On our whale tour and we saw so many whales it was awesome.
Speaker 2: Going on a whalel tour and not seeing well, I've definitely done that and I've been like.
Speaker 1: So it was whales guaranteed. They said if we didn't see any whales, and I would, I got my receipt. I was like, if I don't see a whale, don't coming back tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Whales guarantee. Well, I don't want to San Diego.
Speaker 3: And the whales didn't show up, but there were so many dolphins and they were awesome, so I was I.
Speaker 1: Was, okay, yeah, there were we came. We came in a good time because it's like the end of the summer season, but it's still whale time. So there were humpbacks and Orca whales and some sea lions and it was it was cool. I do kind of feel like low key I'm like in the beginning of the movie get Out because I think we were the only brown people on this I think we are the only brown people on this island right now. It's very weird. I mean, it's not weird if I mean you whatever. I grew up in white neighborhoods and you know whatever, but definitely definitely no, no, no people of color.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I guess they don't come here. Maybe that's maybe Oprah is going to start the trend. I don't know where are you guys are come to stand Watt Islands.
Speaker 2: They need us No, but it sounds good. Have you.
Speaker 3: I feel like I haven't seen any You're You've been like really good. Not too much social media because I haven't seen any pictures posted.
Speaker 1: I did finally post some whale videos. You know. I had to do the Free Willy soundtrack that Michael Jackson song Dude, I'll think that I'll spare you anyway. That was the first movie I saw in theaters Free Willie. Shout out to six year old Mandy. I was really afraid they make that whale on the big screen. Those whales are huge. They're so big, and we got lucky because they like surrounded our boat. I guess they we can't see what's happening, but they were like eating a seal or something. They got really excited and they were just having the buffet lunch around our boat and they were just like going in and out of the water and their tails were up and it was it was crazy because you can't plan it. So yeah, it's been really nice. But now I feel like, Okay, we did a nice hike today and I'm relaxing. But I was telling, you know, me being off work right now, and we are right by a sea airport, so if you hear some you know entries in the background, that's probably a seaplane. No, but being away from work, I had to it probably took me all of the last two weeks to prepare for being gone for a week. And I in the back of my mind, I'm like, I'm really glad that I'm leaving now, because one, it's a terrible time to leave. Like two, I feel like it's also a stress test. Can I leave and things are fine? And if the answer is no, that's bad. Like it's not like I feel like i've in the past thought okay, well, you know, if it's good for people to need me to be there, I need to be there to do this and do that. But it's not good if you know, if I were to leave, or Tiffany you were to leave, and budget nest would fall apart, or you know, my team falls apart. And I really had to like force myself to shove things off my plate and just fill everyone's plate around me. And I feel like this is the first time I've ever had to do that, and it was really freaking hard. Took me like two weeks to get ready. But I think the next time and the next time I want to take time off, it's going to get easier and easier. And then when I need to take maternity leave, you know, I'm going to need to be able to do this. So it's a good practice for me.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, it's a crazy that we both kind of went away at the same time, but you're right, and it was a testament too, like I couldn't have I couldn't have done this maybe like a year or so ago, because I just was doing too much right because sometimes you make yourself like I was the bottleneck, like things had to everything had to flow through me every day, you know, and I thought that I was like, you know, this is I'm being a good boss or I'm being a good business owner.
Speaker 2: But I was holding things.
Speaker 3: Up because if I didn't check off on things, they it just stopped at me.
Speaker 2: So I finally took myself out of a lot.
Speaker 3: Of like the movement of the company and allowed people to make decisions, you know, because I realized that like some of it was like I didn't trust people to make the right choices. So I was like, no, that we have to get the right people, and so now we've got amazing people and things don't have to flow through me. I just trusted the don't make the right choices, and even if they don't, they know that I'm here for challenges and I'm here for mistakes because that's the way that you learn.
Speaker 2: And it's okay. As long as you My rule is as long as you don't kill anybody, we're good.
Speaker 3: They go like, literally, I'm like when someone says, oh, my gods, should be that new thing that I said I was gonna try on Facebook or whatever, it didn't work, and I'm like, well, how many.
Speaker 2: People died and they don't.
Speaker 3: I'm like, well, girl, it's okay, it's okay.
Speaker 2: Hey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I'm excited to answer some question on you guys are getting go getting better and better asking really to a question, so bring them on mandra Where can.
Speaker 2: I ask questions?
Speaker 1: You can go to a brandabission podcast dot com and click ask us anything at the top too, drop us a question, or you can email us directly at Brondambis podcast at gmail dot com. While you're at it, follow us on Instagram at Brown Ambition Podcast or on Twitter at the BA Podcast.
Speaker 2: Yes, tweetus.
Speaker 3: We haven't read your tweets in your your IG's in a little bit, but we will. We're going to get back to that, so you don't want to miss out.
Speaker 1: So we have some really good questions in the inbox today. I would love to start with UH. Listener Lashonte Leschante says I recently started listening to the podcast and in one you both mentioned Ally when talking about saving for a down payment on your homes. My husband and I are planning on saving eighty thousand dollars for a twenty percent down payment on a home. Currently, we have fourteen thousand saved in a regular savings account, which yields four to five cents worth of interest per month. Oh girl, So my question is will Ally be beneficial for building more interest and how has your experience with Ally ben background. We plan to have the money by October twenty nineteen and we're saving about fifty seven hundred dollars a month. Easy question. Get your money out of that bank right away, and it doesn't have to be Ally, but just an online savings account. There's a bunch out there, but Ally is one of them that has a really good yield. We both have used Ally and are happy with it, right, m Do you.
Speaker 3: Think that, like, if she, let's just say she's not gonna need the money for six months, do you think that maybe like even exploring a CD for like the money that she does have saved so it can air even more interest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. I mean what these online banks, the same ones that we would recommend you go to for like a checking account, typically have really good CD yields as well. And if you're really not planning on buying a house until October next year, you could easily put your money into a twelve month CD and then when it matures next year, you will have earned more. The thing is like, when you're saving, like right now, she has fourteen thousand dollars, So what you could do is take that fourteen thousand and I'm assuming this is just your down payment money and that you have a little bit of savings on the side for like emergencies. But let's assume this fourteen gesu is just house money. You could just put that money into a CD, a high yield CD that's twelve months and that'll mature next what is it now, October? Next early October, and then the money that you're saving month to month, open up a high yield savings account with the same bank or a different bank, and just every month put the money in there.
Speaker 2: Because now that's what I.
Speaker 3: Was thinking, because I'm like, well, I think right now, ally, I feel like I saw that their cd rabels like two point one percent and I think they're savings account. Wait, it's like one point eight seven or one point eight five something like that. So yeah, I think that's the that's the best course of action. If you're not touching your money for a while, lock it away to the CD. And I think they even I feel like I saw because I logged in today that they even have a no punishment CD where you had to take your money out that you know, because normally you have to pay like a fee if you take your money out early. So but yeah, I mean, I you know, start with the ally, but honestly too, Like that's why I love sites like Magnified Money, because you can you can It's like the Trip Advisor of finance.
Speaker 1: You know, you can thank you for the same probo.
Speaker 2: Where you can kind of compare.
Speaker 3: I mean, I still, honestly I still use magnified money where you can go and kind of compare the sea. Well, what other CDs are out there, what other bank accounts are out there? But yes, Mandy and I do definitely like ally, but they're not the only ones out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think my little brother has the Marcus or no as Marcus. Yeah, Goldman Sachs has an account called Marcus. There's Charles Schwab has a high yeal checking Synchrony Bank. Because hy old checking, you can even check your local credit unions. But for sure, you need to get that money out of that out of that little I'm guessing that's like a point one percent interest account. That's yikes. Yeah, get it out of there. You have a year, put it away in hy old savings, and you'll be at least you'll make a little bit of money on the money that you're saving.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Thanks for your question.
Speaker 2: Next question, tell me the words. I'm never going to the words.
Speaker 1: I mean, that was some of them, So that's good. A few words is better than done. All right, So this is OH, here's from Oh. This is a question from a teacher. I think teachers have four oh and three four O three B savings? Right?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: Typically this comes from listener ready to roll over? Love it? She says, I want to remain anonymous. I recently got a new job, and they match up to six percent of my contributions to my four O three B. I want to roll over about thirty thousand dollars from an old TIAA bank for a three B to the my new four or three B at my new job. Both of these employers are universities. Oh yeah, okay, so she is a teacher. Will they match the thirty thousand dollars I roll over or will they only match what I contribute through the payroll deduction? That's part one of question. I'll stop there. You wish, sorry.
Speaker 2: We would all be working at your place.
Speaker 1: That would be a nice incentive.
Speaker 3: I know they will not mask that. It's only what you say from working with them. So that's one and two. Maybe I mean I'm almost positively like. You can't really roll over to another you have to Typically you have to roll over to an outside source, not to like.
Speaker 2: I don't know if for.
Speaker 3: Three b's are different, but that's when outside not for the to your current jobs four one K or retirement plan, meaning like I worked.
Speaker 2: At Target, now I'm working on Lawmart.
Speaker 3: But my Target money can't go to my Walmart retirement account. Instead, I have to open up an outside independent retirement house, and all of my any company that w was outside of that, I can roll over to this outside independent account. I don't know if it's different be four and three b's or what company they use, is they'll take it, but I'm almost positive you typically can't go. You can't take like one company's money and give it to another company.
Speaker 1: No, you can, though, because I've done that. I've switched jobs. Yeah, I've switched from Business Insider to Yahoo. I did a rollover and we had a td ameri trade. I remember I had a td Ameritrade four oh one K when I was at Business Insider, and then I switched to Yahoo and I rolled over my little my little money that I had saved up, my little coins over into the Vanguard, the Vanguard account. And I don't remember exactly, I definitely know I could. Whether or not I had to open up a separate IRA outside of my Yahoo money, I don't remember, but I do know. Most recently, when Magnify money was acquired our new parent company. I was able to roll over the money I had saved in my Magnified money for a one K into the new parent companies four A one K, which was a different We went from ubiquity. Yeah, we went from ubiquity to principal retirement and I was able to. So yeah, you're able to. Definitely, Definitely you don't have to do, you know, if you wanted to, Like that's that's the next part of her question is we can talk about do you should you you know, do you have to roll over to your employers for a one K or four oh three B? She says her next question is should I automatically roll over my old four three B into the new four or three B? Or should I compare the performance? First, I'm worried that my old four oh three B might outperform my employers for oh three B. So that kind of gets to the question do you have to roll over into your new employer's retirement account. You don't have to. You could do a Tiffany talked about, which is just open your own outside I ray and roll the money over into that account. And what you the only reason you want to do. That is maybe if one you're not getting a match, or two if you just don't like the the investment options that you have at your new employer, spank.
Speaker 3: Sometimes people will tell you because it depends, like sometimes let's just say you hop from place to place too, if you like, keeping track of multiple accounts can be difficult. That's typically why people tell you to roll over so that way you don't have to, like, you know, let's just say five years from now, you work for another university and now you have three three retirement accounts, so combining them can can just be for ease of use to to make sure. But I mean, I guess the assumption I'm not sure where she has her money. But let's just say, like you put like a target date fund, like I'm going to retire at sixty five, and then your money is like allocated in such a way that it's going to balance itself that every year with the target date of having a certain amount of money in your retirement account by sixty five. So I don't know, I never thought about that because I always just so you know what, I'm going to take my account with me because my worry is, like even today Superman said, it's not even to happen to you.
Speaker 2: What would I do about your companies? So having them in one space to make it easy for should something happen, to make.
Speaker 3: It easy for myself to figure out where my money is, and make it easy for the people that are my my beneficiary to figure out where the money is.
Speaker 2: So I mean, but it's up to you, though you don't you don't have to roll it over. But like I also don't think it's necessarily a good idea to have a ton of accounts floating out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, unless you're going to write them down and remember them. I tend I've been rolling mine over. But I would say, certainly you can do whatever you want with your old account. I mean, you have the money there. They're not going to match it if you roll it over. So you could roll it into a you know, an outside retirement fund at a different bank if you want it with better investment options, and that maybe you know, if you think you're going to hop around at future, you know, from job to job in the future, you might just want to have it in one place. But definitely everything that you're investing moving forward, go ahead and put it in your employer's account, because six percent matching is pretty dope.
Speaker 2: What it is? Pretty dope. That's a really good matching program.
Speaker 1: Yeah, take advantage for sure.
Speaker 2: Question how we gonna I don't know, just next question.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you keep trying. I don't know if you've like done research, but it's not gonna get better until you look up the lyrics.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna listen to the YouTube.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna watch it, and I'm gonna at least get the dish like this this thing called rap Genius, I think it's called or whatever, but you can get the lyrics, and so I am going to I'm gonna I'm gonna have some at least the first line, at least that first line.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, next time, all right, Another anonymous question. So this comes from listener, Oh anonymous anonymous, let's call her debt Diva. She says, I'm a recent college graduate. I have been so reckless with my credit cards in college. I think I got too excited when I turn eighteen and wrongly believed in unlimited money. I now owe a lot of money in credit card debt and student loans, about seventeen thousand dollars in consumer debt and twenty five thousand dollars in student loans. I freeze my credit account and I'm working to pay off my debt. I have a job, but I only make thirty five thousand dollars per year, and I feel like most of my money is going to bills. I am just exhausted from paying all this amount, and I honestly have learned my lesson. I've thought about filing for bankruptcy, but I believe that this much debt is not worth filing bankruptcy over. Please please help me. Do you have any tips on how I can pay off this debt? That's a lot of consumer It's like credit card debt seventeen thousand dollars, a student loan debt twenty five thousand dollars. I'm not like afraid by That's normal ish, that's doable. You know, you're young, you have years to pay it off.
Speaker 3: You will.
Speaker 1: But seventeen g's and credit card debt, and if that's interest accrewing every month, I mean, that's not a good book.
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna lie. I was one point thirty five thousand dollars in credit card dad, So.
Speaker 1: I'm like, okay, look at that now.
Speaker 3: So I'll tell you what I did to get rid of the the thirty five thousand dollars in credit card dad were one.
Speaker 2: I had to put the cards down because I was still digging, so I was still swiping. I was in a ditch and I was still digging. So my shovel was my credit card.
Speaker 3: So I literally I was like, I literally remember looking in the mirror and doing the jersey clap like Tiffany, you know, that's like the pisted off jersey girl clap.
Speaker 2: And I was like, honestly, what are we doing? Put the card down? And so I put it down.
Speaker 3: I either cut it up or hit it for myself, and I said, okay, so at least, now moving forward, we're not adding on to.
Speaker 2: The debt that you have. So that was one.
Speaker 3: And then too I looked and like, I can't remember. I feel like my credit score wasn't wasn't terrible at that time.
Speaker 2: So what I did do is I at least with I don't know how.
Speaker 3: Much it was, maybe with like five or six thousand dollars of the debt I was able to roll over to a balance transfer. I actually went to act my money, found a car and a balance transfer card and transferred over as much as they would allow, like I think it was like five or six thousand.
Speaker 2: So I transferred that over.
Speaker 3: And I started the Snowball method of paying down the debt systematically because that help, and I automated it, and so every month I would look at it.
Speaker 2: But I was just automating. So if you don't know, just google the snowball method.
Speaker 3: But a balanced transfer paying down the debt automatically, and you know, it really helped me. Any that were like kind of helped to the turbo boost it. I did this thing called unexpected money, and I call it you U whim. So what unexpected money is any money that I got that wasn't from like my normal pay so that like, so my sister at least that pays me back twenty bucks, she owes me. Who knew because least don't pay back, you know, or like Grandma gives you, you know, fifty bucks for your birthday or Christmas or whatever, so money that's outside of your normal income. Or even better, let's just say you're at Target and you're you're buying a dress and it's twenty five dollars and they were like, oh, it's you know, fifty percent off, so it's you know, twelve dollars twelve fifty or whatever. So that extra twelve fifty that you were going to spend anyway, or your friend treats you to brunch and you were expecting to pay thirty dollars, that thirty dollars that you were going to spend. From my phone, I used to transfer that money, that unexpected money, directly to whatever debt I was working.
Speaker 2: On, because with the snowball men, you really focused on one.
Speaker 3: Card at a time, so I could like transfer, like in a month, I might transfer an extra one hundred and fifty two hundred dollars from my sister Lisa and grandma, you know, the target dress was on sale. My friend treated me to lunch even though I was going to pay, and that really helped to pay down that debt so much faster. So I think that's what I did. And it took me about two and a half years to pay down to thirty five thousand dollars worth of debt. But when it was gone, you know I could, I could have wept tears of joy, but and it wasn't easy, but it was so worth it. Now since then I have not had because before that I never had credit card debt goal for the month and a month, and now I stopped.
Speaker 2: That was maybe three or four years ago, I guess, And so I don't like. I pay off my.
Speaker 3: Credit card debt every single month in full since then. And so so it's possible despite having own a lot.
Speaker 2: It's just about creating a system. If you can automate it, that's even better, and sticking to it.
Speaker 3: And you know, and like I said, doing that little sheet sheet of unexpected money that helps too, for sure.
Speaker 2: So good luck to you, Anonymous.
Speaker 1: Thank you for your question. We called her dead diva diva. Ooh, we got another question. I love a good awkward family situation finance question. So let's say this person's name is Furniture Freeda. Okay, Furniture Freeda says, I recently purchased a house and for my birthday, my mother wanted to give me either a dining set or a living room set for the house. I was avoiding her doing this, but she insisted that we went to the store picked that we've wanted, and when we got to the register, they of course asked if we had a store card, which we didn't. They mentioned getting ten per off if we applied. My mom doesn't have the best credit, so she insisted that I apply to get the ten percent off and just say and I applied to get the ten percent off and she would pay for the card. I was really taken aback with this because I thought she had the cash to buy the stuff. But against my better judgment, I got the card. We all know this is going She gave me three hundred bucks the next day, but still has fourteen hundred dollars to pay.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: We got into a fight a few days after this, and I decided not to have her pay the rest. She told me not to tell my husband about the store cards, so I never did. Now I have to tell my husband about the store card because I can't sneak away and pay fourteen hundred dollars without him knowing. So I guess the question is, what do you think? The interest rate on the card is like twenty four point nine to nine percent, So basically, if we don't pay it off, we will end up paying more in interest than the ten percent is worth.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I hope this happened like yesterday because if I don't know when they got this email. But oh god, okay, she says, but we also have a very tight budget and have a Low's card to pay off by the end of November. So she's got fourteen hundred dollars on a twenty five percent APR card. She has gotten up by with her mother, and she let her ego get in the way a little bit and said, I don't want your money.
Speaker 2: Those of you listening, this is why I say store a card to the devil.
Speaker 1: The devil, the devil, wow, I mean.
Speaker 3: Because twenty four percent, that means about every dollar that you give them. They take a corner out and say, for me, it's crazy, like that's a loan shark rate, you know. And so yeah, if it's soon, I would turn that dag on furniture or you put your money mother back on that payment plany.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're gonna have tell you how annemies And that's a lot of money with gardens.
Speaker 1: And but the thing is like, if if her mother didn't have the money that day to pay off the card, she never should have applied for it, because you're always gonna walk away spending more than you would have saved with a ten percent like the first month that you let the balance stay on the card like that should never have happened. That's that's what people don't compute. They think, oh, I'm gonna save something, but unless you have the cash right away, then that's not a deal. That's like a death sentence.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and know this for people listening, that it's not a gift if there's payments happening. He did like when someone says, oh, like like I remember one year, my dad got my mom a car, but he went to the auction and he saved that he bought a cash if he would have gotten her car, and then there's payments, It's like, that's not really a gift. But you know when I hear to make you feel bad, furniture freeda because we are all made mistake.
Speaker 2: Lord, no, I still make mistakes. I feel like furniture freeda.
Speaker 3: This is just a good lesson, like moving forward, that having a rule, because there's nothing worse than kind of like not telling your boots.
Speaker 2: Something and you're like, oh, it doesn't matter, and then it becomes everything. You're like, dag, we've all.
Speaker 3: Been there, but right, so there should be like a basic rule where it's maybe like anything over one hundred dollars or both of you have to discuss it. And so that way there's no surprises like this. But it's up to you to decide what that rule is. But that way too, when something like this happens, you have a rule of stuff to be like, hey Ma, you know, I think this is great, but I have to call I gotta call you know, a husband, because you know, he and I have this rule that we both honor than anything over this amount of money. We don't make financial choices, I mean like barring like clothes for the kids, or like groceries.
Speaker 2: Or something like that.
Speaker 3: But we don't make like outside kind of like financial choices over this amount of money without letting each other know. Because sometimes just that pause would have made you say, wait a minute, this doesn't make sense. Although I appreciate to give my let's look for something else.
Speaker 1: I love that one hundred dollars rule. I wish that we could I could say that we have a rule like that that we follow. We definitely have all of our accounts link though, and we see when when charges are on the card, and we have conversations about it after the fact. But I think at least having transparency. Transparency is key because then it's not possible for one of us to do something behind the other person's back. Not that we would, but it just helps us both, you know, feel more comfortable that way.
Speaker 3: I know couples that actually have one the get notifications to their phone if you spend.
Speaker 2: Over a certain amount.
Speaker 1: I definitely do that for myself. I don't do it for his card because I feel like that's a little big brotherish, but for my own personal card, I do that. And we have all of our link accounts anytime we can go into our little dashboard and see I mean right now with the house though, it's just all crazy, it's all insane. I don't know, like, you know, we just got our estimate for our countertops today and nothing is nothing is normal any more.
Speaker 2: Hundred dollars. I wish, I wish. I God, you know, I've been the throat.
Speaker 3: We haven't even really started to get busy with it, but like we just started the basic demo and I'm definitely like, oh my gosh, I.
Speaker 2: Know it's gonna be like wait what, But you said wait what.
Speaker 1: Pipe so I'm like, oh, do you know our teeny tiny our teeny tiny house I was like, do you know how much the countertops estimate was that we got for the like the normal price. It's like five thousand dollars for whose kitchen? This is a teeny tiny kitchen. I can't believe it anyway, Quarts, because I thought that was, you know, the good, the good, low cost alternative to Marble or whatever. Man, I'm getting my vacation vibes out of whack now thinking about these Courts countertops. But yeah, fifty five hundred, I'm back on the water. I'm with the whales. It's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh R.
Speaker 1: On that note, thank you guys for your questions.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you for joining us post vaca well the way, but yes we will be unique week.
Speaker 2: More questions, more question more questions. Then we really enjoy y'all. Thank you for supporting grind Vision.