Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Eventually everybody gets blasted at some point. The question is here around the room, Danetz, has anybody in this room? Well, let's just we're gonna go through our own little pole here. We'll start with you, Paulie. Have you been blasted with pepper spray? No, not directly.
Speaker 3: There was a fight in college and people were trying to pull people off, and the cops were pepper sprang everyone and I got a little waft of it, but not a direct hit. But even the waft of it was like I had to pull back and then I just ran for my life. Not directly, so no.
Speaker 2: Not directly, Fritzy.
Speaker 4: I was not pepper spread.
Speaker 5: But I did have the police once tell me to get down on the ground, which was very frightening because I was in Santa Monica and I was driving back to the gym to my apartment and I started get nervous because I realized I didn't have my seat belt on and I felt like there was a cop behind me, and then I started weaving in and out of little side streets trying to avoid it so that I can put my seat belt on and hope that maybe he's just trying to get past me and he's following me into some kind of mini mall, and I guess he was acting like I had done something wrong obviously and get down, and they had me get down on the gun and I was just trying to explain that I got nervous because I realized that I didn't buckle my seat.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't believe any of this for a second. I think you've just reenacted Rayleiota's final scenes in Goodfellas.
Speaker 3: I completely agree, because look how nervous Fritzy sounded retelling the story. Imagine a police officer yelling at him what kind of condition he'd be?
Speaker 6: Wh are you going down all these side streets? What did you do?
Speaker 4: Get down?
Speaker 5: And I'm like, I'm moved my hand a certain way, and they felt like I was reaching for something, and it was terrifying for someone that was like a you know, mister goody two shoes straight aged to it.
Speaker 4: That wouldn't hurt a fly.
Speaker 5: The police telling me to get down face first on the concrete.
Speaker 2: Was yeah, yeah, I mean you no, not seriously, that is the craziest seating. You probably have some very interesting stories.
Speaker 7: It's wild, I do. I've never been pepper sprayed. I've been in the vicinity of people who have been pepper sprayed, similar to Pat forty, and it's it's not pleasant, it's not idea. It definitely makes you be like, I'm glad that wasn't named at my face. I do think it's interesting that Todd nearly got him self shot and killed over what amounts to a fine. I mean, I don't know. In nineteen ninety two or whenever this was.
Speaker 2: Was, he talked about working out and like a fifty.
Speaker 7: Dollars fine, it's definitely worth you know, the seat belt fine, or you know, possibly running people down while trying to avoid the police and getting shot.
Speaker 2: I mean, most interactions with law enforcement for most people are when you've done something wrong, and so there's just an incredibly nervous reaction when you get pulled over for doing something wrong.
Speaker 3: I have a buddy in college. He had the guy a policeman behind him. He was doing nothing wrong. He started this was like a highway, and he started going really slow. He got pulled over for going too slow on the highway. He got like under forty five miles an hour. Yeah, what movie was that from? Like the guy got pulled over for going too slow? Remember that, it was like you were going seven you were going seven miles an hour?
Speaker 6: Oh a black sheet with Chris Farley.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, Chris Farley's driving along. He's like, how fast was I driving? Officer, He's like, it's like seven miles an hour. That is, you can't go that slow, Sir Marvin, how about you?
Speaker 6: Same as the other guys in a vicinity, but never directly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, of course, you know, most people who know my backstory, we just assume, like I've had plenty of opportunities for never never been around it, never seen it ever happen. It happened in somewhere else. Closest I have I had bear spray when I was hunting. I was up in the mountains hunting elk. I had the bear spray on me. Grizzly and Mama Grizzly and her baby were down. Oh yeah, I got it out. And that was the closest that I've ever had to pepper spray. It works that it plain and simple. If it can dissuade a mama grizzly bear, pepper spray is the biggest attorney you can have if you're a cop out there to get somebody down and make them go away.
Speaker 3: Imagine that bear going back to his cave and telling his buddy, I just got pepper sprayed by Ryan Lee.
Speaker 2: Can you believe that, guys? Yeah, she was just precting, protecting her babies. I just wanted to get out of there. I was, you know, I was hunting elk and that was that was more important to your point, Fritzy. Yeah, Okay, like the only time I've ever like, I'm coming back through Canada to go turn myself down in down in Texas. Okay, my lawyer has told me that the DA has allowed me to travel freely. There was a fugitive warrant that was there. I pull into the border there in I think it's Ellensburg, Washington, from Vancouver, British Columbia to because I was going to treatment and I was working there, and I remember just looking across and I see the woman with my passport. All of a sudden, I kind of look back. I look again, like she is like slid back, like she was like in a magic shoot, just disappeared. The thing closes, she has my passport, and then I can see in the rear view on the side view, like swat teams with machine guns coming up on me, and I'm just like, I'm just freaking out, and I'm like, well, clearly the DA did not remove the warrant. And now this is going to be over every news network. And now it's gonna say Ryan Leaf arrested at the border. So now it's gonna be look like I was fleeing the country. And I mean, the book comes out soon, people, you'll be yeah, you'll welcome to our two. Everybody. Oh, when Dan gets back, he's always just like, did I really ask Ryan Leaf to guest host my show? It goes off the rails so fast, so fast with him. But headlines for US is just simple.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: We got Derwin James All Pro safety for the Los Angeles Chargers going to join US. Big game last week, finished it with an interception against the Atlanta Falcons on the road. I want to get into the resurgence with Jesse Minter as the defensive coordinator on this team. Jim Harbour's the new head coach off of what Brandon Staley was as a defensive mine over the last few years, and then some of the uproar, you know, around the Al Shazier concussion hit forum, hit to Trevor Lawrence when he was fined and when he was suspended. How difficult is it for a safety coming up to make it tackle trying to prevent a first down or something like that? When quarterbacks like Mahomes and Caleb Williams and guys who are incredibly athletic are twisting and turning. Are they going down? Are they not? Are they trying to pick up an extra yard? How does that work?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 2: I think he'll be a fascinating guest. Dieing into football, football football, right. We got the bigger game tonight between the Lions and the Packers, huge Saturday slate of college football championship games, which we'll get into the third hour when Andy Staples joins us too. I'm really finding a hard time figuring out why these games are even being played. Seriously, they to me, they're serving no purpose. The final rankings that came out this week. See don't you think that's a problem.
Speaker 7: It is a problem. I think that's a massive problem.
Speaker 8: Though.
Speaker 2: It's a massive problem.
Speaker 7: Those are the things that are supposed to mean something meaningful.
Speaker 2: You can win a championship with how them to play the game. Were you the top team in the conference. What's the one lost team in the SEC this year? Texas? Right, Texas, Texas is the SEC champion. Yeah, okay, deal with it. Yeah, And they said, well Georgia beat them earlily here, Well, Georgia couldn't figure out how not to beat lose to Ole Miss Okay, so let's let's let's move on from that.
Speaker 3: And the weird thing is if you listen to the different people from the committee and the different people on different networks talk about it, these games only matter. Like half I was surprised when they said, well, if SMU loses to Clemson, they'll be okay, you know, I said.
Speaker 2: Oh, I thought they're out out.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well Clemson's in with a three is a three loss conference champion, very automatic bid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like, uh, you know, Georgia, they're gonna be Everyone said they're gonna be fine. It's almost like they look at this weekend asco the accomplishment is getting there and they're not gonna ding you much for a loss.
Speaker 2: Well, let's say Georgia loses to Texas and it's their third losses. Georgia in Yeah, it's a bad loss. And what if they got smoked. It's unlikely, but it could happen. No, very well, could happen. Texas is capable of of, you know, knocking your wheels off. They can't do that. They got the athletes, they got the play callers, they got the team that could do that. I just you know, hey, so you know, I wasn't gonna quite dive into the college aspect of things here, but we'll get into that more later. Okay, we have an hour or two poll seaton do we have not going yet?
Speaker 7: Yeah, let me update you from the first hour. Okay, let's see perception wise, how important is tonight's game for the Lions that one stays at that's at about fifty one percent. It's extremely important. Why do you think that results is so close?
Speaker 2: Well, I think there's probably some deference to that by fear of Lions fans are like, hey, if we were to lose this game, it's not that big deal. Okay, two losses, We're still at the very top. You know, we're going to fight the Eagles little bit more, you know, but I want home fields, So it's kind of it, you know, So I understand it's the Packers the Lions going, hey, let's right now. We have to change what the status quo is and has been for the Detroit Lions, for every fan base out for every fan out there, for everybody who's watching too. We win these games. We win these games. We put people down, and guess what, you all have to come through Ford Field. This place is gonna be rocking. Eminem was there last week. I think it a chance to meet Minem on Thanksgiving. I was like, I really thought he might be on the field, and I was just gonna be like like that that that is one celebrity that I would just I would Oh, Marshall Mathers, That's that's that's my deal right there.
Speaker 7: He might be the one celebrity that makes me most nervous to meet. Really yeah, I don't know if I would want to meet him. Actually, for me, it's for me, it'd be just like, dude, you're my hero. You got sober and you did it in front of everybody, and you told everybody about on how to do it, and you made huge inroads for someone like me listening to your record going that's how I felt, that's how Oh my god, that's exactly. How Like I don't see him as like this recording artist extraordinary. He's this guy that made his way from this, you know, the absolute bottom to the top with dre And But for me, it's a much different conversation seton. Yeah, I don't mean nervous, like, oh my god, he's such a big super He's gonna mess with me and he's gonna make me feel aware I did before I met him.
Speaker 2: Who Marvin, Who are guys you being nervous to meet out there? Marvin?
Speaker 6: Michael Jordan? Like what do I say?
Speaker 9: And on top of that, I'm not sure if Michael Jordan would be the most like receptive.
Speaker 2: What do you say?
Speaker 6: Is tough? M Well for me?
Speaker 2: For me, it's uh like I've met movie stars, athletes, everything like that. Where I get fearful and where I get nervous is when I meet golfers, like if I run into Jordan's speath, or if I Bryson DeChambeau or you know, when I would spend some time in around Tiger Woods, like it was just I was just like a snot nosed kid again, Like it was overly fearful and nervous and like, don't say something wrong, don't do something stupid. I don't know why that is now it's shifted and changed a little bit just because of you know, the way that golfers have behaved in that. But uh, who else out there? What about you, PAULI?
Speaker 3: Uh, first name that popped in my head would be David Letterman. I've admired him for so long. I don't know his reputation for fandom. I guess he's not. He doesn't love it. He only lives about twenty minutes from where we live, and so I always thought maybe he'd run into me. I don't think I would go up to him.
Speaker 2: He lives in this in the Connecticut.
Speaker 3: Area, Yeah, I think in a small town.
Speaker 2: He also lives in Montana, like like literally forty miles from where I grew up.
Speaker 3: I think if I was in a restaurant and he was next to me, I think I would probably say nothing. I'd regret it forever, but I'd probably not bother.
Speaker 2: I met him once. I was on a show when I was drafted. And he doesn't talk to you before you sit down right now, doesn't talk to you. And then you're told don't make any sudden movements, and and do not shake his hand forcefully when when you Those are the two things. And Marissa Tomey was in the green room with me, oh.
Speaker 6: Led with that Ryan.
Speaker 2: She was horrible to me. Really what, Well, I understand, I'm a twenty one year old punk kid, and here's this. It's Marissa Toomey, right, I mean, come on, you know my cousin Vinnie, you know Seinfeld all at that time for me, and and she was just like, I think she maybe thought I was the help. I really do. I think she's like, can you give me some some peanuts or or something?
Speaker 1: Kid?
Speaker 3: Oh, that's nice she wanted to share a meal with Yeah, maybe maybe but thought but that yeah buried Lee.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I met David Letterman one time. He's done some amazing things in Montana, especially around the Shodo Rodeo time in the July fourth area where he's brought in like Willie Nelson to say. I mean he's done some amazing things, of course, just an incredible gentleman. His his one on one interviews he did on Netflix after his time with the with the Late Show has been been really good. Fritzy, you have somebody that you'd be first.
Speaker 5: I had one question Firstly, if you were to see Eminem, what would you say, Hey, how's it going, Eminem?
Speaker 4: Like, what would you like say exactly?
Speaker 2: I would say, I would say Marshall.
Speaker 4: Oh, you would call Marshall?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Does he like that being called Marshall?
Speaker 2: I don't know, and I maybe could find out immediately if it was the wrong choice. I would assume with from the reaction on his on his face. I think that's what Setan was talking to, like, like if you say something something wrong to him them, and first of all, he's thinking about how he could just absolutely obliterate you in that song. He's very, He's very. He's the he's the he's the He's the rough and rugged rap version of Taylor Swift and spurned relationships I feel like, But yeah, I would say, I would first say Marshall's so so amazing to meet you.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 2: Also on on Thursday, Uh, Jeff Daniels huge Detroit Lions then, right, but but bigger for me and my family. Dumb and dumber fame right as hy. So we are in ann Arbor two thousand. I am a guest of Jim Harbass at his celebrity golf tournament, playing with Jeff Daniels and I saw Jeff on the sideline. I walked up to Jeff and I said, Jeff Ryan leif probably don't remember me, and he said, oh, yeah, quarterback quarterback. I said yes, but to me and my family much different. We played with you at Jim Harba's tournament in ann Arbor year and years ago, and you did the most amazing thing. We called and got my little brother, Brady out of school middle school. We called North Middle School in Great Falls, Montana. You need to go get Brady Leaf out of class, bring him down to the office, and get on the phone, because Jeff Daniels is going to tell him a story. They got my brother out of class, brought him down to the principal's office. There, the principal, I think his name was mister Snow, hands Brady the phone and Jeff Daniels tells him verbatim like punch for punch, the xlax toilet scene from Dumb and Dummer.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you are a what was Brady a thirteen fourteen year old kid or something like that, I mean, that's to have it. And so I told Jeff Daniels, I was like, you know what, there probably aren't many actors Ryan that would have done that. And I said, no, there aren't, sir, and that's why you're that special to me and my family. And he was just like that, you just kind of nodded like that was a either it was a really embarrassing story, I told him, or it was one that he felt very good about and fond about. Because he was very fond about it was very fond for me and my family, my brother's that's a crazy sho. I hadn't thought about it for years until I saw him and me I was like, oh my god, he did that for us.
Speaker 4: That's the kind of education kids need.
Speaker 2: They do need that, and you should be able to be pulled out of class, whether it's a you know, an important algebra, geometry thing. To hear Jeff Daniels talk about fake pooping on a toilet and one of the greatest movies ever ever made, speaking of ever made Derwin James one of the greatest safeties hybrid players ever to answer the NFL. He's going to join us next right here on the Dan Patrick Show when we come back.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot Com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. Welcome back everybody to the Dan Patrick Show. I'm Ryan Lee filling in for Dan today. Uh Derwin James from the Chargers, All pro safety's going to join us here shortly, talking football, football, football. Really much different than when I hosted back this spring. When the NBA Draft happened. That was new for me, a little awkward. It's a little awkward, but we got through it and did a pretty good.
Speaker 2: Job, I feel. But now it's all about football, from the NFL to college football, the new version of the College Football Playoff with the twelve teams. I'm gonna we're going to dive into this in hour three, but just kind of to throw it out there a little precursor here for everybody. You know, the idea that what college football has become for me has been the minor leagues like it is to baseball. Now, hear me out here. Okay, they're all getting paid now, essentially, but the guys that are getting paid paid are the ones at the professional level. And that's what I want to see. I don't you know, I don't want to go see Otani playing the minor leagues. I want to go see him play for the Dodgers, right I want to go see them, And for whatever reason, I feel like that with college football a little bit right now. I want to see the Schduur Sanders in the NFL. I don't I don't necessarily need to see him in the College Football Playoff. Also, they're still in college like, this is still a collegiate football program. They're not a pro team, though they're active upon as such. And the idea that the fan bases are still just like one hundred and thirteen thousand people went to Texas, Texas, A and m like the Rillerry aspect of it, Michigan, Ohio State pepper spray fall. Where's the emotionality that's just flying through the roof still for all this stuff, I don't know. Maybe because my alma mater got left behind. And this last year I called games for the CW and all our games were Oregon State and Washington State games. So my focus has been entirely on the PAC twelve. So I've been week in week out watching I call two Oregon games this week this year, one game at the Big House against Michigan Oregon. The number one team in the country all year long, undefeated. So that was about as close as I got it to it. Outside of that, the FCS, right Montana State been focused on that. The FCS playoffs, I'm calling the National Championship here in a few weeks for Westwood One in Frisco, Texas. Anticipating is probably gonna be, you know, similar to what we've seen the last few years. You'll see a Dakota team in there, and probably in Montana team. It seems like that's the direction it's headed. You know, Montana State only undefeated team I think out there in the FCS. They have led. They've led every single minute of every single FCS game this year. The only game they traveled trailed in was against New Mexico and they found a way to come back and win that one. They absolutely destroyed the Montana Grizzlies people. Oh, the brawl, the wild what do we got, Marvin?
Speaker 9: Going back to NIO, do you think there should be a salary cap or can you even.
Speaker 2: Listen to this? This is a good one, all right. So the athletic director at Colorado, he was on the committee that the NC DOUBLEA had presented for nil in terms of regulation. But the NC double A when the announcement came down from Justice Cavanaugh judgment or whatever it was, the NC double A was just such like a tortured petulant child said, you want the wild West, you can have the wild West. They disbanded the committee, the regulatory committee that was going to oversee nil and it was just gone. And so now we have what we have where let's stay in my situation at Washington State, we have probably the best college football player in all of American John Mattier led the nation in touchdowns. If they don't lose to New Mexico and then fall apart against Oregon State in Wyoming at end of year, they're eleven to one, they're probably in the playoff and John Matier should probably be in New York because he's the best quarter back in the country. You know that no one knew of when they entered the season. But because of that, we don't see that. And the only way we can keep him in Pullman is if the collective in Pullman finds a way to pay him enough money to stay. Because it's the cam ord scenario, right, we had cam Warden a year ago. He goes to Miami Martin.
Speaker 9: Yeah, after your sophomore year, Like, are you staying no matter what at Washington State. I know Highsight's twenty twenty, but listen.
Speaker 2: To be a legend somewhere like Washington State, it's a different thing. And there's something to him from little Elm Texas. He's got this swagger to him. We've seen what Gardner Minshew turned into one year of playing in Pullman into what it's been. I mean, he's more popular than I ever could be, and I took him to a Rose Bull. I mean, that's the kind of popularity that John Matier can have in Pullman. But I'm also not going to begrudge him ever if he were to go, let's say, to Oklahoma to following the footsteps of his offensive coordinator Ben Arbuckle, who just left and did a tremendous job at Washington State during his tenure there, Like, it wouldn't surprise me at all. There's more, there's deeper pockets he could. You know, you're not guaranteed to play in the NFL, people, I don't care how good you are. Shadoor Sanders is probably the most easily recognizable guy to go play in the NFL because of his dad and all everything like that. But guess what, you know, he may play a year, he may play two. Who knows what that looks like. So the fact that he can make generational wealth while in college doing the thing that you do best at the time, then you got to do it. So I'm never going to begrudge any player now because of it. Just the older generations look around and go and look for loyalty. They look for you know, why can't you do that? And I've seen a lot of kind of old timers or even the Washington State fan base. I asked one of I asked Jack Thompson, our kind of our godfather of quarterbacks. He's the thrown some own one of the first uh third third pick in the draft of the Bucks or what was it the Bengals, I can't remember, but I asked him, you know, when did when did when did the fan bases get get to be such kind of whiny, whiny sobs?
Speaker 4: You know it?
Speaker 2: Really they're whiny about everything.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 2: I know they're hurt. PAC twelve got disbanded, and I know they're hurt, but I'm just like they wanted to fire the head coach, Bro what what what revisionist history do you have? We went eight and four. We beat Texas Tech in Washington.
Speaker 6: Seaton. Yeah, you know that.
Speaker 7: The word loyalties is so interesting because it doesn't go. It doesn't exist anywhere, right and well, and it really never did. Yeah, it really never coach coaches can jump wherever they want. Uh they the only thing that the only people that stay loyal are the fans. Yeah, other than that, everybody else is operating in a business. So even as a fan, you have a quarterback and then you get rid of them because now you have a better one, Well, what about loyalty?
Speaker 6: That was our guy?
Speaker 7: Well, no, it doesn't matter because now we got a better guy.
Speaker 2: We want a better guy.
Speaker 7: Well, a quarterback can transfer because they got a better offer, they got a better deal, they got a better situation for themselves. And that's scene as a negative. Despite they're they're doing the exact same thing that other people have been able to do forever.
Speaker 2: Listen, you heard Dan yesterday with Pat forty and the fanatic right aspect. Fans are fanatics. There's a definition to them. It's so odd to see fans reactions in deference to players reactions. As an analyst now a former player. When I show up on the field to call games and everything, It's unbelievable to see the reaction from players in terms of how they know me now right. I don't think a lot of them know me as necessarily guy who played or played poorly in the NFL. They know me as an analyst now and I'm a very I advocate very strongly for the player, and that is not dismissed in the circles of locker rooms in this league. And they know that when I step on the field and when they come talk to me, or maybe I was on their campus in college and their coach asked me to speak to the team. That's where I learned a lot of them. Roman Doonsday comes over to me on Thursday. Don't forget, he's in the University of Washington graduates, so we have a lot of animosity there as it is. Gives me a big old hug. Talks to me about how appreciative he was that I came and took time and spoke to and how meaningful it was, Like, I mean, how cool is that to be that that change? You know, Derwin James were efforting that still in LA but Tuesday was an anniversary of mine, ten years since I walked out of a prison. Though okay, I talked to Fritzy before the show, and I want to throw up the when we get a chance. At some point, I want to throw up the first public words I had about a year and two months after I had been out in twenty and sixteen, the Super Bowl in San Francisco, PAULI ran into me in a hotel on my way to get a medical exam that the NFLPA was putting on, and he just say, no pressure or anything, if you'd like to come on talk about life.
Speaker 6: And I did.
Speaker 2: I talked to a lot of people and whether I should do it or not, and I did, and I walked on to set, and I sat down, and me and Dan just had a conversation. And it literally was the catalyst to where I'm at now, publicly, broadcasting wise, everything like that. Because I was not interested in any of that. I just I just wanted to disappear. I wanted to go work and be of service to others and no one ever to see me again. But as we found out that just that doesn't happen. My name is synonymous with an NFL bust and every April May it gets brought up.
Speaker 6: It's triggery.
Speaker 7: Well, what you've done is very tricky because they be safer way obviously to do it as privately right, and you open yourself up publicly like that, to potentially fall on your face, you know, it's hard.
Speaker 2: Well, it's hard, yeah, And I'm telling you it's been ten years, and he would have been hard set to find anybody or myself even to think I would make it one year, you know, when I walked out, and the idea of what hope.
Speaker 7: Was yeah, track record right for not not you personally, but just the history of the things you're struggling with.
Speaker 2: And then success rates and dercidivism with are incredibly overpopulated prison population in this country, and so all of that's stacked against you. And but luckily, I mean I posted something last night after Fritzy you know, set the show run for today, and I was just like, you know, incredibly, I'm incredibly honored and humbled that the great Dan Patrick trusts me. I mean, come on, he trusts me. This is his show. I mean, this is his legacy, this is what he's done. You guys are his gatekeepers. You know, and you guys have carried me. Really if you go back and look at it for the nine years you carried me. So yeah. I mean, I haven't done any of this on my own and speaking to the fanatics side of it, and it is a it is a tricky situation because guess what, I have to be critical of people, not the person, the act or whatever it is, analysis or something the fans can't differentiate. The fans' response is very cutting, it's very personal, and it's very rooted in my past. I'm a huge Montana State Bobcat fan. Like my dad took me in nineteen eighty four to watch Kelly Bradley win a national championship. I saw a quarterback in my home state. When did championship at eight years old, I was like, okay, this is my team forever. I disliked the Montana Grizzlies greatly, right, you know, that's that's rivalry. That's rivalry. And Fritzy's got a Gris sticker on the front of his desk and I went over and I don't know if anybody knows, I ripped it off and I went through it in the toilet. But last week I did a little trolling.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be honest, like, I'm still a fan too. I'm there's a fanatic in me there too. So I'm trolling the Grizzlies a little bit.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: I'm talking about that the apathy is set in in in Missoula. And and no one showed up at the game Saturday night, no or Friday night, whatever it was. No one showed up. No one cares anymore. Uh. If you want to be a winner, you gotta go to Montana State. So I was just you know, I was trolling pretty pretty hard, you know. And uh, but the fan base whoa like it was like the vitriol of my past, you know, it's all of it. It's it's my intent was to rile them up. My intent had uh, it's its effect uh and uh and they're going to the grizz are going to get their butts beat this weekend by the jack Rabbits by in Brookings. So we won't have you don't have to hear my voice about how bad the Grizzlies are people, and we'll only be talking about how great the Bobcats are. Did we just delve into Montana Big Sky Conference FCS plans, see what happens. You know, Derwin, you you don't show up and show the chargers and talk about the charges. I gotta talk about you know, you know how crappy the Grizzlies are and how great the cats are. I mean, that's just it's a it's the fitting of a great show here. Polypaps would be very proud because of course he loves he loves himself the FCS. And we are in it deep right now. Montana State takes on you T Martin. That's some pretty good ones. Rhode Island University of Incarnet word versus Villanova. Yeah, Rhode Island, Rhode Island, still in it. All right, We're gonna try one more time, efforting to get Durwin back here. And then we got some dour rankings. I didn't I didn't understand what dower rankings. That are the opposite of power rankings.
Speaker 6: Huh, yes, exced power rankings.
Speaker 2: Dour our rankings. Yes, did I say that right? Dour rankings. All right, we'll try here. During the break. We'll be right back here on the Dan Patrick Show. I'm Ryan Leaf. We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of the Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wapp.
Speaker 2: Welcome back, everybody to The Dan Patrick Show. Ryan Leaf here filling in for Dan Derwin James and I can relate to this. I lived in Los Angeles for some time, stuck in traffic. Yeah, LA traffic, the four or five everybody, that's a real thing. It's a real thing. It's just not something made up that they show headlights at Christmas time, you know, And I mean.
Speaker 7: That is that like famous piece of video for Thanksgiving. You see the traffic going both ways, it's like seven lanes each way.
Speaker 2: And I've been I've been in that traffic. Boy. I lived in the Hollywood Hills for seven years, so much different.
Speaker 8: Easy.
Speaker 2: It was very easy commute this morning, even though it snowed last night. I got here with the little pit stop and don't crazy and Stratford shout out to donut crazy in seventeen minutes, everybody, all right, that would be my commute to word.
Speaker 4: It's very thoughtful for you to bring donuts to their crew. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: You guys are amazing, you know, and it makes me look better every time when I show up dinner and you guys look a little bit, Oh, that's what you're doing, you know, you know, And it's just it's just another example of why you know, when when Dan you know, if he's ever hanging up, you know, it's you know, if you need somebody to come by, you know, I'm seventeen minutes from here.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: It's just it's like, uh, might I could be a fifth Danette? I guess the way to put it here, you we could just call this the Danette Show.
Speaker 7: I remember the one time I went to Los Angeles, one of the first times I went with the show. I had a uh my cousin lives out there. Yeah, so I called him. I was like, hey, what's up, dude, I'm in LA.
Speaker 2: We should get together.
Speaker 7: He's like, sick awesome, let me know where you're staying, Like, what's going on over at?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 7: So I'm in Santa Monica.
Speaker 2: Where did he see me?
Speaker 6: And I was.
Speaker 7: Like, hey, dude, I'm here or whatever? And he was in like Los Fheelas or whatever, you know, and I was like, hey, man, so I'm staying in San Monica. It was like He's like, oh, I thought we were meeting for dinner. I'm like, yeah, we are. He's like, you want me to drive there this time? He's like, you know how long It's gonna take me four hours to get there. Like, but dude, it's like this far on the map. It's like that far. It's like right there, like I came from Connecticut together here And he's just like, sorry, man, maybe.
Speaker 2: I like you and all, but this is crazy. My brother lived in Venice, in Venice Beach, and he would never go east of the four or five.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: We lived in the Hollywood Hills. And the only time if if you wanted to see his nephew, you have you have to go to his I mean he was not leaving it. Yeah, pritzy, you.
Speaker 4: Got to play the meet halfway game?
Speaker 8: Is there?
Speaker 2: Like he wasn't he wasn't going he wasn't going east to the four or five. And it's you know, it's that old joke on Saturday Night Live when they all the Californians when they start talking about the where how we get to the place, you know, and that would be your cousin would have talked to you like at this time, I'd have to go up the four or five then I have to take across the New Coast Freeway and then circle around to you know it's yeah, it's the Pacific Coast Highway and all those things like that. Ryan here, what are you doing here?
Speaker 4: Ryan?
Speaker 2: I was in the Hollywood Hills. So to go off on a tangent there, that means Derwin James is going to join us at eleven o five at the top of the second hour to talk about the Chargers and everything that's been going on. Uh in hour two. Now we're able to get into the Dower rankings, not the Power rankings, the Dower rankings. So you guys have some, uh, some examples of that for me, so you can lead a su frizzi.
Speaker 5: I was excited at one point about Kirk Cousins and the Falcons, and I think you had mentioned them.
Speaker 4: But they've lost three games in a row.
Speaker 5: They went from six and three to six and six, and they've got the Viking. They're at the Vikings and the second to last game of the season they got to go visit the Commanders.
Speaker 4: I am Dower on the Falcons.
Speaker 5: That looked like a team that was gonna be neck and neck with the Bucks or maybe win that week.
Speaker 4: NFC South, the Falcons are in some trouble.
Speaker 2: I was there with you. I think I even tweeted out buld takes exposed if you want to use this one. I had Lions Falcons NFC Championship game. I think it was three weeks ago. Three weeks ago. To your point, I think I did it three weeks ago. Young Wayku is just absolutely fallen off. Used to be like the most accurate kicker, winning games for him. Kirk Cousins turned into just an absolute turnover machine. You know, I know that. You know the final throw to that Denman James intercepted in the game, he had to throw. It was fourth down and Drake London's falling backwards a little bit. You have to throw that ball because it's fourth down, but still four turnovers if he doesn't turn it over in that game, they win that football game easily against the Chargers team that's a playoff contender. So yeah, with you, I'm total. That's dour. That's dour times for Atlanta looks like Tampa Bay. You know what's even dour for me in that division is the New Orleans Saints. Guess what they win that game? They win that game last week. They're five and seven, folks, and that means they're one came back in the division after firing their head coach. Instead they lose and they go to four or seven, So you might go NFC South Dower, Dower. Maybe maybe that's the way look us up for Tampa. All right, what else do we got there? Mister stet and O'Connor.
Speaker 7: My uh, you know it pains me to say this because I want this team to be great. I want them. I would love to see this team win the Super Bowl. I love I like the players a lot. I really love the identity of the team, like so much about it. But they're inconsistency just really has me doward on them. The Baltimore Ravens, Oh yeah, I love the Ravens. I really do. I think they're awesome. I do think Lamar Jackson is great. I love Derek Henry. I want to see those dudes get a ring, say flowers all get it. Hell, yeah, that's awesome. They're exciting, But damn you, eight and five I think they are now if you look ahead at their schedule, their remaining schedule, that looks like a lot of wins or is it. I don't really know. Yeah, I really don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, the fact that they have five losses right now exactly, you know that there's a team that actually they look at their schedule, I could say they're nine and when the season's over, right, I'm calling the Texans game on Christmas Day? Is that a win?
Speaker 7: I don't know? Is it exactly?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 2: Steelers?
Speaker 6: Steelers?
Speaker 2: They don't beat the Steelers. They were the best team in the NFL last year and they didn't beat the Steelers. They both games last year.
Speaker 7: You feel like they're beating the Giants. Yes, they also have the Browns in there. I want to say, well.
Speaker 2: It depends on what what entertaining value Jamis Winston shows up in that game?
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean Jamis beats the Steelers then goes to Denver and throws for eight hundred yards and seventeen touchdowns and fourteen interceptions. You know, it's the most entertaining quarterback in the NFL. I think it's fun to watch. He makes it fun. Fritzy.
Speaker 4: He made Jerry Judy look like Jerry Rice. We talked about that the other day.
Speaker 5: Who I know, Judy had an axe to grind and wanted to stick it to his former Bronco team. But that was ridiculous how we torched the second ary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I didn't. I don't quite get why they were getting pressure on him with four down line and I don't know why they kept blitzing, because once you did that, you put Jerry Judy in a one on one matchup. And if you put Jerry Judy in a one on one matchup, predominantly the most of the game, he's gonna win. And that's that's just gonna happen for anybody. And the fact that he caught the ball and got on the endzone I think was big. I enjoyed watching the football game. I did. It was an enjoyable game to watch bo Nicks. Bo Nix has been special this year, right. I think early on everybody had the Jaden Daniels Rookie of the Year war being you know, polished, but you know bo Nix has gotten sneakily back into that conversation in the back to the mix. So yeah, Dower, Yeah, I'm a little dour on the on the Ravens too. I don't really have any faith the dominating the way that they were dominated by the Eagles on Sunday at home Justin. And I think when you lose Justin Tucker, like when you lose like the there's a confidence that leaves you as a Ravens fan when it leaves the body of Justin Tucker, because you know that like, oh, he's you don't know if he's gonna make it. Rather you you pretty much believe he's gonna miss it now. And that's never been the case with Justin Tucker. Marvin Dower dour rankings.
Speaker 9: Marvin, I am super dour on the Chicago Bears after firing Matt Eberflus, firing their OC, losing all these close games, and it's all started there, losing Street started with the hail Mary in DC. And so I'm super dower on the Bears.
Speaker 6: Man, it's you have.
Speaker 2: That, we have that audio. I think it'd be a good time. So so I was at the game, Okay, So I called the game and I'm Jason Bennetti is just spot on on the way he's calling at the end of the game, and we're just both looking at each other. What's going on here? What's going on here? How does he not know where they at? Why isn't Matt eberful students. I mean, they're gonna lose this game. You better throw this in the end zone for a touchdown. That's the only way. And he throws it near the end zone. I mean, it was just the most horrible time management situation. Matt me Eterflus, Matt Eberflus gets fired. Right yesterday we heard some sound Caleb Williams, the Bears quarterback. This was at his presser on Matt Eberflus being fired.
Speaker 10: I think this is a stepping stone of development.
Speaker 8: You know, to be able to have all of this in.
Speaker 10: My first year, I wouldn't say that I'm happy for it, but you know, having these moments is is definitely something that will help me in the future. Having these situational moments that you know you can't it's it's hard to rep in practice.
Speaker 8: I'm having some of these moments, having.
Speaker 10: You know, your your your your coach fired, your coaches fired, and people being promoted, and you know, things like that all happen and within you know, a couple of weeks.
Speaker 8: Of each other. Yeah, I think it. I think it would have helped me in the long run.
Speaker 2: That's that's that's a that's a take you know that's a take. You know you had a hand in those guys being fired essentially too. Also, it's the way I put it when I talk to people, I said, you know, I'm grateful for having spent three years in prison. I don't recommend it, but I'm grateful. Okay, So you know this is a Caleb Williams scenario. I'm grateful for what has happened and what I'm going through. I don't recommend it.
Speaker 7: See all right, and now though it Caleb Williams. Now that everyone's fired, Okay, Now whose fault is it?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 7: It's on you, dude. Now it's on you because every you know, everybody that you bring in can't be wrong.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 7: So now it's going to be on you.
Speaker 2: Well, now it's knowing it could go It could actually go to Ryan Poles for drafting him. Sure, yeah, yeah, there's there's a lot that can be set aside. Caleb Williams has not thrown an interception in forever people, He's not turn it over, hasn't looked like an NFL quarterback, and haves of games either. So they are where there are. The record says where they're at. Do you want them to win? Some games you want them a better, have a draft pick, a higher draft pick. It's a bigger, bigger conversation to have on what that's going to look like.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: When we come back, Derwa James is going to join us all pro safety for the Chargers, as well as Andy Staples to talk a little college football when we return on The Dan Patrick Show.