Speaker 1: The Best Bits of the Week with Morgan. Part one. I hang a scene with a member of the show. Well, what's up?
Speaker 2: A happy weekend everybody, best bits time and this weekend Mike d is joining me. What's up, Mike? What?
Speaker 1: I'm back?
Speaker 2: Thanks for being here.
Speaker 1: It feels good to be back. Everything's time is going by really fast.
Speaker 2: It always is. This week is a little bit like messing with our brains because we did switch off with you and Scuba in our life time frames.
Speaker 1: It was earlier.
Speaker 2: It is a little bit earlier, but only a week because it was time still flying. But we need enough tod because last time you were on a lot of things were happening in your life at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a mysterious box that I needed to address. We are in the process of moving, and I've had this box probably over ten, maybe fifteen years, whenever I first moved, I guess since I started, even when I left my hometown and moved to Austin, I've just had this box of stump that was like when I was in a band. We would keep all of our merch in it, and I guess it was the only good box I had. So I've been filling it with things for over a decade of my life, and then since I moved into my current house, I have no idea what was in there because it's been so long, moved in, put in a closet and never looked at it again.
Speaker 2: Is it the same box or have you at least transitioned the box.
Speaker 1: No, it's the same box because I wrote merch on it, so it's an actual box we use for merch.
Speaker 2: That's funny. Okay, So did you go inside the box?
Speaker 1: I did because I told you I thought of maybe just throwing away the whole thing, because I was like, I have to use it, and I haven't been in there in seven years, probably don't need anything.
Speaker 2: I did encourage you not to look in at Yeah.
Speaker 1: But but glad I didn't just throw it away blindly, because there was actually a lot of old pictures in there that I had not I don't even know why I have these pictures. They're like old family pictures, like me as a kid. I found my sonogram.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, wait, wait, wait wait, Because before when you've been on the best bits, you've been like, there's not a whole lot of pictures of me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I found a lot of them.
Speaker 2: This is where they've been hiding.
Speaker 1: I thought they were at my parents' house. Apparently I have them. I don't know where in my moves that I got a hold of them. I don't know if I took them on accident, but I had just stacks and stacks of real pictures from disposable cameras and over the years. Wow, like really like me, literally my Sonograham where they wrote on it like hi mom.
Speaker 2: That's crazy. Yeah, I don't know emotional finding all of those.
Speaker 1: I don't know why I have that. It was just weird seeing me as a baby.
Speaker 2: I think it's a Did you ask your parents about it? Because sometimes parents want to keep all that stuff and sometimes they wanted to go with the kids.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I forgot to tell them about the sonogram. I did tell them that I found a bunch of old pictures, and she thought she my mom, thought she had those pictures. I started sending her pictures of the pictures and she was like, oh, yeah, I haven't seen those in a while, So.
Speaker 2: Is there any in there that you forgot existed? Because again you had said, like, there's not a lot of pictures of me. I haven't really seen a bunch.
Speaker 1: So there's some of me with friends, which is crazy. I forgot I had friends in the trailer park where at the time when I was a kid, I was super into wrestling, and I met other kids who lived in the trailer park who were also super into wrestling. So it's us like hanging out like there, we had an old trampoline that it was completely destroyed, but we just kept like the outer ring of the trampoline and that was our wrestling ring. I totally forgot about this, but it's like pictures of me and my friends standing in front of the trampoline where we would wrestle.
Speaker 2: Wait, would you guys do like masks and capes and stuff too? Like I'm trying to think of what movie that reminds me of, Like, yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe one of my friends had a mask. But we would just pick wrestlers and then have matches. Somebody would be a referee, or we do three way matches.
Speaker 2: And you were a wrestler, right. That's crazy.
Speaker 1: So I had to explain to my wife, like why I was doing these weird like our emotions dudes, because I love the hardy boys and that's what they would do. And every picture I'm freaking doing the hardy boys thing.
Speaker 2: That's wild. Does it make you want to pick up wrestling again?
Speaker 1: I mean, I still love wrestling. That was that was my first dream of what if you ask me as a kid, what do I want to be when I grow up? It was a wrestler, and.
Speaker 2: It was WWE because that's what you went and watched too, right, it was.
Speaker 1: WWF at the time and it's now WWE. But yeah, I was like, I'm going to go to wrestling school. I'm going to learn how to be a wrestler because I'd play the video game and you could create your own wrestler, Like I'm going to be the risk Taker. That was your name that you came. I just ripped off the Undertaker, I guess, or Peacemaker.
Speaker 2: Just somewhere in the middle. I mean, that's I feel like a dream. You can still kind of chase if you want to do.
Speaker 1: I know, I watch a lot of wrestling documentaries. That's not a good really, that's a hardcore profession.
Speaker 2: Now you know too much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the injuries are insane, the lifestyle is insane. It's cool because everybody loves you and there's probably nothing like getting that kind of crowd reaction. But the stuff you don't see is yeah, pretty bad.
Speaker 2: So do you feel like you're glad that you didn't chase down that?
Speaker 1: I don't think I remember like fully committed to it. I think soon after that I got into music, and then my new thing was I want to be in a band. So it was probably grades three through five where I was like super hardcore about that, and then a sixth grade I learned how to play guitar and game over.
Speaker 2: Isn't it funny how when we look back on the things that we wanted to be as kids, they kind of just developed very quickly over time.
Speaker 1: What was your first thing?
Speaker 2: My very first thing I wanted to be was a marine biologist.
Speaker 1: I feel like we always go with animals as a kid, like.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, marine biologists. I wanted to be a zoologist, a zoo keeper. I had a lot of like animal things. I want to be a vet. At one point all of those, I realized that I would have to deal with the loss of animals and I was not prepared for that.
Speaker 1: And at that point where you're already not eating animals, I was already a.
Speaker 2: Huge animal lover. And yeah, I mean because I went vegetarian at eight, So yeah, probably by the time I was trying to decide what I wanted to do with my life. That's I feel like six seven, eight, that's where you is where they start to ask you what you want to be, because up until that point.
Speaker 1: You're just living your life, you know, cartoons.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, So I think I was already a vegetarian and big animal lover at that point. But yeah, I realized the other side of it pretty quickly that was not a fit. And then I had senior actor a news anchor, and then the news anchor one kind of stuck. That's what kind of got me into journalism school.
Speaker 1: You take like classes you oh yeah, news. Yeah.
Speaker 2: In high school, I was part of like the broadcast team where we do like the morning announcements. And then in college I studied broadcast journalism. So I've i've full blown. I even one of my internships, I was a news reporter, Like I interned with the news station and I would do my news beats. In college, I would do the local news for our like college station, and that was my whole plan, was a news anchor. And you know, life didn't go down that path, so it stuck at one point. I think once I hit high school, But up until then I had a lot of different eras of who I wanted to be for sure. Is there any that you think would have stuck for you? What was yours? Like? What was your last one to then get to where you are now?
Speaker 1: Well, I think before wrestler, I remember there was a brief period where I wanted to be an architect. And I don't even know why. I think I was like in first grade, but I remember telling everybody I wanted to be an architect because I wanted to design buildings and I would like carry around like a little hammer inside like the loop of my pants.
Speaker 2: But that was just like Bob the Builder.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe I don't know. That was just some people say firemen as a kid as that architect. Yeah, So then it went to wrestler. Then I think for the majority of my life I wanted to be in a band and like tour and get on a record label.
Speaker 2: Which you were still doing the band in high school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did it through high school, and then when I graduated high school, I moved from Walkstatchey to Austin to pursue music, and I just happened to find the internship on the radio show. I was doing those two things at the same time, so I was still pursuing that. I just kind of saw, like, I don't think I want to do that anymore.
Speaker 2: Do you think there's a part of you that would ever go back to trying to do that? Now?
Speaker 1: If I would do it, it would just to be just like to play for fun, like in a garage, write some songs again. But I don't think I would ever want to play shows again.
Speaker 2: M hmm, Yeah, that's fair. The just more of a passion, yeah, like enjoy it.
Speaker 1: For in my head, it would be fun to like reunite with my old band and like there was like a group of bands that we all toured with and just do like one show where it's basically just the people who were in those bands attending the show. It's not really a thing we do, but just like kind of all perform for each other, Like that would be like the only thing I'd want to do, like more like a party where we all play music.
Speaker 2: You don't feel like that would give you the bug to try and pursue again.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think so. I just think that it was such a grind to do, and we basically made no money for so many years that I don't think I would want to do it again to that extent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's fair. It's also fair as you get older, you just realize the true sides of things.
Speaker 1: I mean, I also haven't played guitar in like five years.
Speaker 2: Like, that's wild that you also used to be a pretty significant guitar player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I taught myself how to play. That's all I would do. I would just play guitar, and then I would say, probably until I moved here, is when I kind of stopped playing. Like I played still like the first couple of years I lived here, and then just kind of stopped.
Speaker 2: You're telling me you never played for your wife.
Speaker 1: I did write her a song early on.
Speaker 2: Did you.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh that's so sweet.
Speaker 1: So that was probably around the tale, Yeah, because I was still probably writing songs in like twenty eighteen, So probably stopped fully in like twenty nineteen. Maybe picked it up a little bit during the pandemic because there was nothing else to do, and then since then I pick it up maybe once or twice a year, But that's about it.
Speaker 2: That's so cool. Did you record the song or did you just play for it live in person?
Speaker 1: I remember playing it for her over FaceTime, and then I think I recorded it and sent it to her.
Speaker 2: That's sweet. And then from there you really never mind.
Speaker 1: And then even she kind of forgets that I played guitar, like I haven't done it in so long.
Speaker 2: Do you still have a guitar that you could play?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I have three, two electrics and one acoustic.
Speaker 2: Dang, Yeah, a lot, not just one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that was my yeah. And like recently there was My favorite guitar player is Tom DeLong from Blnkelin eighty two, and he had this signature guitar that I wanted so bad as a kid, but it was like super expensive. And recently they did like a reissue version of it, and I was so close to buying it because I saw it on the rack. It was like so close to be buying it. I was like, I'm not going to play it. I was like, I haven't played guitar in so long. Is this really going to motivate me to want to play it again?
Speaker 2: But it could be you love collecting things, that's true, and that's a collector's item for sure. I would assume especially in that genre.
Speaker 1: No, I mean it could be, but I think with I mean, they reissue it and they make a bunch of them, So I don't know if it's going to have really any like collector value to it, but it would be to me because for a long time you couldn't even find that guitar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just feel like it'd be a cool collection on your and your videos that I see from your podcasts set up. I feel like that would be a cool add to that because.
Speaker 1: That's kind of how I justify some things. I'm like, I put in the background, it's a set beast.
Speaker 2: It is. And I don't know, is that like something that's super expensive?
Speaker 1: That one? That was the other thing I saw it. It was like on a pretty good deal and he still did it do it was only like nine hundred we still a lot of money, like nine hundred bucks, but originally it was like fifteen hundred.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's a great deal. You're almost like happy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was the only thing. I was like, this is such a good deal, Like why is this marked down so much?
Speaker 2: Your wife is gonna be like Morgan dot but you should go back and get it.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's there anymore. But yeah, I really I think. I don't even think I told her when I saw it, really, so I said it to my brother because he was like, that's cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And she was probably just like, you have three guitars, what's this one? It's hard unless like you are a person who understands which side of it.
Speaker 1: She probably would motivate me to get it because she's like, you never buy things for yourself. And she's like, if something is cool, like you have worked hard, you can buy it for yourself.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: That's probably why I didn't tell her, because then she would convince me to do it, because I'm the one who always talked myself out of buying something. Ever, I don't like buying things. I don't really material things don't really mean much to me. I'd rather spend money on experiences, so I don't really get joy of owning just objects. I'd rather do things. And I can always like just it's so hard for me to justify it in my head of like I'm gonna spend eight hundred dollars on this, how many uses am I gonna get out of it? If I only use it twice? That's four hundred dollars of use. I always break it down by like.
Speaker 2: Use, yeah, and in all fairness, like totally fair, because I'm right there with you. I'd rather have trips and experiences and spend money on life versus owning a bunch of stuff. But something that's been part of your life for so long. You definitely didn't text your wife because you knew she was.
Speaker 1: Going to encourage to do it. And I guess since then, I kind of have been on like a search of all like the childhood things that I didn't own, and that's kind of been like my avenue of like collecting things right now is like what are all the items that I wanted as a kid and have never bought? And I'm kind of on the search for those.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's a little hail Mary moment. If it's still there wherever you found it, I feel like that's a sign that you're supposed to have it.
Speaker 1: I'm open to that. If it's still there and still the same price and it wasn't a mistake.
Speaker 2: Then you are supposed to own that guitar. That's crazy. I never, I guess I just never. We've talked about you having been in the band and stuff. But and you playing guitars and stuff. Now, I feel like that you could be a songwriter in that genre if you wanted to. As like a passion side of things.
Speaker 1: Is that genre? Yeah, I've never see. When I was growing up, I didn't really know that that was the profession, that you could write songs. I always assumed that all the bands that listened to wrote all their own songs, which for the majority they did, because there's a lot of punk bands. But now like seeing that my favorite band, Blank Gwin eighty two, they have like people writing some of their songs. I'm like, wait a minute, you.
Speaker 2: Could write a song for Blake two. That would be a cool I don't know, just side passion, especially because you also love to write. Yeah, I feel like that'd be a cool creative outlet. But writing songs also different than writing scripts. I can't do either, so but I do know they're different. All Right, We're gonna take a quick break, and I need to find out what else was in the box, because it really got there one. We'll be right back, all right, Mike, give it to me. What else was inside the box?
Speaker 1: So the other thing inside the box that gave me a crazy nostalgia trip was my old Razor phone. Oh yeah, I had a black Motorolla Razor that I bought off of eBay used and I saved up all my money for it, and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I got it at a point where they really weren't that cool anymore. But I was like, I have to have one of those phones because I want to download a bunch of ring tones and I want to do the flip. And it just looked cool and it was just all black, and I was like, Oh, that's cool.
Speaker 2: They were cool for like ten years Sogo. I mean, they were around for a hot minute. I feel like they're probably gonna come back.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 2: This is it. This brings up a good point. I went into and this is definitely more of a girl thing. But I went into a Victoria's Secret and they have the secondary line that's called Pink. Have you ever heard of Pink? So much more younger girl version versus Victoria's Secrets, more for adult women. And it's like I walked in there, I stepped right back into the two thousands. They had the yoga pants that had the fold over them. Things were written on the butts. There was matching sweatsuits. We're back with like crew necks with things written on them. I straight up thought, holy crap, I'm back in high school. There's like all over again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, two thousands are very back again.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. Yeah. So I feel like maybe the razor could also see it comeback, or wasn't there something they were promoting that was a phone like that.
Speaker 1: I think they did bring back the razor. It doesn't look the same, but I think they do have a new Motorola rasor.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is it is an interesting point because I'm looking at all of that, what do you want to not see make a comeback? Like, please do not bring this back from the dead, And I have I have one in my head, so I can like thank for a second. But the first one that is come to mind room is gauchos. Do you ever remember women wearing gauchos.
Speaker 1: I've heard of them. My wife has explained them to me before, but now I don't remember.
Speaker 2: Yes, so they were like yoga pants, but they were free, flowy, but they were also capris and they were just really bizarre. And I love a flowy pant. I love a capri, and I love a yoga pant I don't like all of them combined. And honestly, if we bring back gauchos, I think I will just throw myself into a pool. That is the one thing I don't want to to see maker comeback, but they probably will.
Speaker 1: But what is your clothing item? For me was whenever baggy stuff started to become cool again, I worked so hard to fit into a pair of skinny jeans that I'm like, are you kidding me? Now? Baggy stuff is making a comeback, even though like as a kid, I wanted you remember Jinkos, Yes, I do. Wanted a pair of Jinkos so bad, and my parents would not buy them for me because they're like, we're not buying you those ridiculous looking pants that are super baggy, but I like the designs on them, and then all the cool kids would wear them, so I never had a pair of Jinkos. And then once I finally lost weight and was able to fit into skinny jeans because they were cool, they became one cool again and now it's like baggy is the style. I'm like, why did I do this?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And this is why. Also, I tried to not follow a lot of fashion trends because they do change all of the time, especially things that were in I feel like nineties two thousand's. All of that stuff was so short lived. Like I owned so much Lisa Frank things, and then one day everybody was like, no, we only like black and white. I was like, what my room, Mike was hot pink and lime green. Those were the two colors that I've painted in my room, Like, I could not be brighter if you tried. When I had come back from college, my parents were redoing their house to they were empty nestras whatever, and I was like, dang, I don't miss the hot pink and I'm green. I'm not gonna lie like I It was a real real choice in making that full color. So I was like the full blown color girl. And then one day it was like brown why black? I'm like, what what happened? Jump scare? So there's that too. I just try and avoid them. I try and avoid a lot of trends if I if I can.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't really hop on a whole lot of fashions.
Speaker 2: They would they changed so fast. But this is where my mom always loves to justify keeping stuff because everything old, this all's new. Again, and she will have every single one of those things somewhere in her closet, and they're all evidently be a time where I go back and get it. Do your parents keep things? Like? Do they have a lot of stuff from when you were young?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think so, because I think my mom was just getting rid of some old my Like, my mom is more like me now. She doesn't like junk, so if something hasn't been using a long time, she gets rid of it. My dad is a complete opposite, where he will hold on the things forever and he's like, I don't know what this is, but it belonged to our kids, and I don't want to get rid of it. Oh, you're very worried about that.
Speaker 2: He's sentimental.
Speaker 1: He either thinks like we're going to come back and move in and we'll need our things, or if there's anything that we own, no matter at what point in our life, he keeps them.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean though, when I did meet your dad at your wedding, he is he just seems like such like a gentle giant. Yeah, It's like the best way I can describe it. He was just so kind.
Speaker 1: He looks like he'd be mean, but he's not.
Speaker 2: No, it's because of mustash.
Speaker 1: Does he still have.
Speaker 2: His long slash?
Speaker 1: He has a long mustache. He puts like mustache wax in it, curls it on the edge on the end of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you'd be like intimidated because cool stash. Cool stash is always cool. Facial hair intimidates me in general. I just feel like, you know more than I do. It's the vibe that I feel. And he was like that, and then I met him and he was just like the nicest guy ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But his garage is his space and he doesn't like anything moved out of there. So my mom will try to clean it out. He's like, Nope, got to keep all my stuff.
Speaker 2: Do not touch any of this. But the house is free rein where she's kind of reorganized.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is he can just keep all those things in the garage.
Speaker 2: That I understand. I am trying to be like that as an adult. Like I cleaned out some drawers and I had kept so many boxes from technology. Why why did I keep boxes?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I just got rid of computer box and ipedbox in an Apple pencil box that I was like, this is a really nice box.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they're nice boxes, but like, why do we keep boxes? What about our generation?
Speaker 1: Are we like? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Boxes?
Speaker 1: It's just like when you have a really nice, put together box, you just can't throw it away and you're like, there's something I could put in this box.
Speaker 2: But you never put something in the box. It hides out on a shelf and you never use it again.
Speaker 1: It's just a nice box, I know.
Speaker 2: So I did get rid of a lot of mine. I've been really trying to like get rid of things that I just don't I have no reason for neating. Is that what the you guys are in right now because you're moving.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I got rid of so many things that I've had that I don't have any use for. And me even two years ago, one year ago, would have said, no, keep it. I'm over everything. Like I could get rid of everything that I own aside from my computer, and I'd be fine.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you're telling me if everything I've been too today, would you just sell all your stuff and just go on with your lifestyle.
Speaker 1: If I could just do like a whole sale, like here's everything I own and sell it, I would be fine.
Speaker 2: What are the five things you're keeping? If you sell everything?
Speaker 1: Five things I would keep. One would be my secret Wars eight comic that my wife got me for Christmas and surprised me with it. It was the comic I'd been looking for basically forever, okay, and it has the first appearance of Black Suit Spider Man.
Speaker 2: Oh your favorite?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that's my favorite item of my collection. Number two, I have a signed letter from Donald Glover aka Childish Gambino where he came on the show back when we were in Austin on the Pop station. Bobby interviewed him and then Bobby knew he was my favorite artist, so as show prep, I wrote him like a letter. Bobby read it to him on the air, and then afterwards he signed it for me and then got us tickets to his show that night in Austin.
Speaker 2: That's so cool. Did you get a picture with him too, I assume yeah.
Speaker 1: I have a picture with him. He signed a bunch of stuff. My brother went up to the studio too, and we're both huge community fans, so he signed like my brother's Blu Ray and like a comic book. That's awesome, and then we went to the show that night. But I have that signed letter and I've had it since that was probably twenty eleven. Yeah, so I would keep that. That's my number two. Item number three. I recently got a Charizard Pokemon card, which was my favorite card growing up. I had one at one point, and then this kid in the trailer park kind of stole it from me, but in a way that he thought was fair, where I was just learning about Pokemon cards and he was trying to teach me how to like battle with him. Yeah, and then he was like, no, I wouldn't your charge are dang?
Speaker 2: He like scams.
Speaker 1: And I had no idea what happened. And then, like my other friends, tried to get it back for me, and the kid wouldn't give it back. Dang.
Speaker 2: I hope that kid gets a warm pillow these days.
Speaker 1: I don't even remember. I remember where he lived in the trailer park, but I don't remember his name. I wish I did. I tried to track him down, like you still have that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he probably does that.
Speaker 1: I mean if he did, he probably sold it by now. Yeah, that would be my number.
Speaker 2: Three because I got one.
Speaker 1: I went to a card shop here in town. They had one. It wasn't like in pristine condition, so I don't think I spent ten thousand dollars on it, but I don't really care about that in my search of finding things for my childhood, Like, I don't care what condition it's in, I just want to own it in some form of fashion, not spend my entire life savings on it. Yeah, so that would probably be number three. Number four is probably my name plate that I got when we went to go see We went to go ride and Jerry Jones's helicopter. Oh so we went flew to the game and then we got to watch the game from his suite and at the suite they put everybody's name on like this little cardboard like place, a little if you go to a wedding and they have your name on the table. They had that from my name and I kept it.
Speaker 2: That's cool though, And the Dallas Cowboys have been your team your whole life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that was just a crazy experience of going and then being there watching my favorite team and then being there as a guest was wild. So I have that name plate. It says like mister Mike Distro on it, and I also have some napkins from Jerry Jones bathroom and they have the Dallas Cowboys star on him.
Speaker 2: That's funny. Well, those are some good items, though, I feel like those are sentimental while also still being really valuable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so those are all the things things that I can't really rep I mean, I could technically replicate the comic book and the card, some of the other things I can't.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, before we take a break, was there anything else in the box? Or are you getting rid of everything else?
Speaker 1: I found some really old relics from the show from way back in the day, even before Amy joined the show. It was whenever the show moved from Austin to hear I think Bobby let me clean out his desk and said I could keep whatever I wanted. And there's like some old it's literally like a pack of like sticky notes that has like the show logo on it, but it's not Amy, which was really weird looking. And then there's like a can of beans that they made. I forgot what it says on it, something about gas or it was some kind of promo idem but I.
Speaker 2: Was just are you getting rid of them? Are you keeping I'm keeping those.
Speaker 1: I just felt like it's a cool piece of like show history that nobody probably has anymore.
Speaker 2: So all of this is a you open back up the box, the boxes stay. That's what I've learned from.
Speaker 1: I got rid of like all the old cake because it was like my box for all my music stuff that we would tour with. So like there's like old cables and like old microphones that were really disgusting because we would take our own microphones and they got gross. And then a bunch of like old random things that I had no idea where they even came from.
Speaker 2: Okay, so at least half of the box got tossed out.
Speaker 1: Kept the phone, kept the pictures, kept the random show items.
Speaker 2: Hey that's progress. Yeah, what's in the box? We did it? All right, We're gonna take a quick break. We'll be right back, all right. I need to know if you have this experience, because you're the only other one with like full dietary restrictions like myself.
Speaker 1: It's hard, Like I'm vegan, my wife is gluten free. It's hard to go out to eat. It's hard to get recommendations of from people who like try this restaurant. We're like, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I will say gluten free is becoming easier. Dairy freeze also start like dairy freeze at the very beginning where we're seeing a big plant based movement happening.
Speaker 1: When you go to a restaurant and they have it all labeled on there, Oh, it's so, it's so great.
Speaker 2: I saw you guys went and tried flower Child, which is one of my new favorites.
Speaker 1: Oh, we'll be going there a while. Yeah. They used to have it in Austin, and whenever they got one here, we're like finally, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Except it all the way out in Franklin so forever. But it's so good. I dream they have this like corn couscous or like corn kuenwah thing. I dream about it. That's how good it was.
Speaker 1: I love it when I can go to a place and I can get multiple things where I have it's not just the one thing. And then you always kind of feel like you feel lucky when they do have a vegan option or a gluten free option. But then when that's the only option, they're like, well we have an option for you. I'm like, oh, but then I don't don't really does sound good to me?
Speaker 2: I know, And neither one of you guys are on the have the ability like both of mine are are more choices because I feel better besides vegetarian. That one is just solid. There's no changing that. But there will be times where somebody gets me to go try something to eat and I eat it and I'm like, dang, I shouldn't have eat that, but that was really good, and I'm reminded of the experience when I wasn't gluten free and totally vegan. So I do have some of those moments. But all of that to say I have, I'm not sure if I'm weird in this, because there are sometimes I really love eggs, sometimes love them they're great. Other times hate them, despise them, want to not even see them. Do you have any foods that are in your list of things that you eat that you just hate?
Speaker 1: Also, I hate cherry tomatoes, but do you also like them?
Speaker 2: Sometimes I like.
Speaker 1: Regular tomatoes, but I don't like cherry tomato Specifically, I will love a regular tomato. I don't know. It's something about the texture when you bite into them, because I don't really like cold things. Okay, m h. When it comes to salad, like being a vegan, it's so hard for me to say I don't like salads because they're like isn't that all you eat? No, I don't. I'd rarely eat a salad. Yeah, but I hate just the cold salad with a bunch of cherry tomato. That's like my worst thing. This is your nightmare, yeah, because my worst food the foods I hate the most are cherry tomatoes and arugula.
Speaker 2: Oh a dang good tomato here. Okay, all right, So.
Speaker 1: It's something about the texture of biting into a tomato and it like bursting in your math. It just I don't like it. Yeah, And then arugula just tastes like I'm going out to the lawn and just chomping down.
Speaker 2: That is fair. Arugola, if not prepared correctly, definitely tastes like dirt, yeah, for sure. And cherry tomatoes are crunchy versus regular tomatoes. Regular tomato tomatoes can.
Speaker 1: Be soft and you can slice them. Yeah, Like I could eat a slice tomato, but something about a cherry tomato.
Speaker 2: You can't really slice those. I've tried to find myself in that process. So okay, So you have things that like it's a little odd, but Mike, thereby times where I'm like, well, lately I've been making this homemade egg salad that I'm obsessed with.
Speaker 1: Love it.
Speaker 2: I'll eat it with sweet potatoes. It's so delicious. And then one morning I'll wake up and I'll have like two bites and I'm like, I'm disgusted. I want to vomit. Don't know why, don't know where it comes from. Like, and I don't know if it's because of the vegetarian side of me. Something about eggs. I'm very particular about eggs that I'll eat, like they have to be like fully organic. I know that they're actually roaming on a farm, not like fake roaming on a farm, you know what I mean. And so I'm very like, the only way I'll eat eggs if I know where it's coming from. Most of the time we'll get them from the farmer's market, that kind of thing. And I don't know if that's why, but it will be the most random day. Nothing startled it, nothing changed, But one day I just wake up and I hate them. I feel like that's weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess, cause I I only have so many things that I eat. I can't get tired of what I eat. There are there are moments where I get to a point where I'm just like sick of cooking, and like I could make the same thing that I've always made, and for some reason, it just doesn't hit the same yes, where I feel like I'm just eating at a necessity because I'm hungry, and that's usual of the night, we decide, okay, we're just going out to eat.
Speaker 2: That's fair. Okay. Because people will always ask me, what are your favorite gluten free vegan restaurants, Nashville Flower Child being one of them.
Speaker 1: My favorite all time is Avo. I've been going there since they were like in this old shipping container. Now they're like in a legit restaurant, but I go there all the time, Like they know us there. We're like friends with the owner and they're just it's just so crazy when you can go into a restaurant and you can eat whatever. Yeah, and my wife can't because some things aren't gluten free. But I can go in and eat whatever and it's awesome.
Speaker 2: Like totally safe because it's all plant based.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And it's the one restaurant that I've taken people to who are maybe hesitant of eating vegan food and they end up liking it. They might not love it and go back on their own but if they come into town and we're like you gotta try yeah, and they most oftentimes left like Okay, it's good. Like it's not like what you think about vegan food, like it all tasting like dirt or just all being salads.
Speaker 2: No, there's so many options. There's so many ways to create vegan food now, like with different substitutions of things, cashews, coconut being a lot of them. But also I was really mad because there was one weekend where AVO did an Italian like weekend, a full vegan, gluten free Italian food, and I was so excited because it's hard. That's a hard food to find that has all of the restrictions, and I was out of town.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we went through that. It was good. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: I was devastated. Like when I tell you that I found out about it, I was like I have to go, I'm going, And then next all the dates, I was so sad. Yeah, I cried Mike because I was like, I really wanted to try that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great because yeah, the two hardest restaurants for me to go eat are Italian restaurants and seafood places, because you can never find anything that's vegan. You're eating the eating the cold salad. Yep, so it'd go and they have Italian food, you can get whatever you want. It was awesome.
Speaker 2: So it was that. It was good. Yeah, I really hope they do it again. That was a devastating day for me. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They had like these giant rabbioli's really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like Mozarellasi, the.
Speaker 1: Mostarelli sticks were good. Come on, man, we told them that they got to make those a menu item.
Speaker 2: I hope. I think it was really popular, so I'm hoping it comes back again, and I think but I will say though, there's a lot of at least on the gluten free side. There's a lot of Italian restaurants that have started becoming really good at either importing pasta from Italy or coming up with things. But the vegan side is what's hard with it because cheese is literally everything in.
Speaker 1: Pasta or meat, sauces.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, all the things. So all right, there was that one. Then. Also, I'm not a spice girl, not even a little.
Speaker 1: Bit, not at all, not even a little bit. What is your level of like, what's your threshold? Is it Mike.
Speaker 2: Sometimes pepper makes my ice water And I don't know if I hate it so much because I'm also I think potentially allergic to it because every time how I eat spices, my lips start to blow up.
Speaker 1: That could be a thing, Yeah, that could be a medical condition.
Speaker 2: I'm also afraid of it. There, But I want to like spicy things. I want to I want and I try so hard and every time I cry, like I think I'm a baby in my food palette as far as spices go. Wow, there was like a honey barbecue that made me my eyes water honey barbecue, Like, what did they have in that that I made? I made my fiance a vegetarian buffalo dip. You know most of the time it's like a chicken buffalo dip, and it was made with chickpeas, and I got really excited because I was like, I can finally eat buffalo dip. And I put the most mild buffalo sauce you can ever put in there. I cried, and you know what I did. It tasted so good that I kept eating through the tears. That's how bad it was. What about daside? Is there any food that you love enough that you'll like painfully allow yourself to go through it.
Speaker 1: See, Luckily, I grew up where spice was just all around, so I kind of have a tolerance to it. Like whenever Eddie made a sauce so that everybody else said was way too hot, I had no, like I'd never thought. I was like, what are they talking about hot at all? I don't think there's anything I like. I'm luckily even though I don't eat cheese. If I do eat cheese, like, I'm fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because yours is preference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not like an intolerance to that, which I think that would I'd have a much different relationship with that because I because I used to on Christmas, I'd have my large cheese pizza bout myself and then I'd wake up the next day and be totally fine.
Speaker 2: Is there something you miss that you wish you could eat every day with no consequence?
Speaker 1: I mean when you were saying eggs, that was like the last thing that I gave up that I did not want to let go really like.
Speaker 2: And why eggs? Why did you let go of eggs?
Speaker 1: Because if you can't be a vegan an eat eggs, that was like the last thing, like I was like, okay, I'll stop eating chicken and eggs are the last two things because I just ate so much of it. I was able to do chick, but I was like, man, what am I gonna eat for breakfast? That's been my entire breakfast for years, and I would just make I would put eggs and everything, like even my dinner. I would find a way working eggs. I know.
Speaker 2: And it's so weird. There's definitely a split on that of for vegan diets. There's like half where they're like eggs are fine, half where like you cannot eat eggs. It's kind of like the pescatarian diet where like they'll eat no meat but they'll eat fish. Yeah, it's like one of those dilemmas. And I think that's why maybe I I go have problems with eggs. Some days I'm wanted, some days I'm an over. I don't know, But have you tried eggs again? No?
Speaker 1: I haven't had eggs probably in eight nine years.
Speaker 2: Wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah, unless it's been like in one of my cheat days, like as an ingredient inside of like cookies or something. I haven't had eggs.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's crazy. Your dedication over there. I told I love it. What is your for you page right now? Because speaking of thing food, I have a lot of recipes, Like I'm pretty sure I hire for you page right now is recipes and traveling. So I have places saved where I want to go and food that I want to make.
Speaker 1: I don't get food anymore, which I used to love. I used to just get people. There was like this lady who was like in maybe South Texas or maybe in Mexico. She would just be making things every day and that was like my feed for a while. And I was like, I haven't seen her videos in a long time, and what did you do?
Speaker 2: Dear for you page?
Speaker 1: I don't know. All food is gone, that's funny, So what is it now right now? Because of WrestleMania that was a couple of weeks, it's a lot of wrestling. I get a lot of Pokemon stuff. I would say every third video is probably either somebody live ripping packs or somebody going to Target to try to find Pokemon cards. That's probably my number two most thing in my feed right now.
Speaker 2: You said riffing packs and I was saying, like ribbing cigarettes, and I was like, that's not what he meant, and it took me a second to register that you're talking about like ribbing open Pokemon card fasts please.
Speaker 1: So that's my number two, and then number three is probably just collectibles in general. I follow. I don't even follow a lot of people, but I get a lot of people just going to like different collectible shops and just like, here's what they have in suck today. That's a lot of my feed.
Speaker 2: Isn't it funny how your for you page can change so quickly?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can like two.
Speaker 2: Things of one category and all of a sudden, that's what you have.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Recently I watched like one video of Chris ker Patrick from en Sync, and then for like two days I got a bunch of Chrisker Patrick from n Sync like I was the biggest in Sync fan.
Speaker 2: That's you're like, okay, yeah, I like the one video. We don't need to give me everything of that one. Isn't that weird? I did that to our show Instagram for you too, because because somebody's not like so actively on that page, you know what I mean, like just constantly on the for you page. It was so random, and so I turned that one also into recipes or like live hacks or cleaning things. I started trying to turn it into something that, like at least when I opened it, it wasn't like a jump scare. Every time I opened the thing, I was like, I don't need to see that. It was bad. It was really bad that in our Twitter feed, which is so kind of a dumpster fire. So I've tried to engage with random things to like change the algorithm over there so when I am on it, I'm not totally being startled. So our show Instagram for you page is cleaning videos, some country videos because I'll still comment on those, trying to make sure I know the country news. And then recipes, like all kinds of recipes, and that's what our show is. But that's funny. Here's just food, traveling and everything wedding that it does not help anything, Like I having so many options hurts my brain, and social media all does is make it worse. Like you get something you're like, that was a really cool I'm so excited about that, and then you can get it on Instagram and you all of a sudden have five videos of different things you could have done. It's horrible, like a horrible mind. If that's what happens to my brain in those situations like and it's just crazy how much you realize how much we're fed and how it like dramatically impacts our everyday life you know. Oh yeah, yeah, Like I don't even think I realize it until I watch my for you page shift for what's happening in my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I worry about that sometimes of like how much my brain has changed. How much has been my own willingness or wanting to change my way of thinking versus how much has just been manipulated through an algorithm.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, I'm not even kidding, Like I think.
Speaker 1: Even me getting back into like collecting things has been all because of what I've seen through TikTok of like other people showing that it's more socially acceptable, but also like getting fed videos of people like go into the store and buying things. That's made me want to do that more and lean more into that. And that's all because of having an app on my phone.
Speaker 2: Yep, And you didn't then you want to be buying things, you know, the basis for consumerism, I suppose, but it hurts my brain. There's sometimes where like I'll lay in bed and I and I still want to be on my phone because I want to play my games. I want to like do my little brain rotting, I guess, as I call while also bed rotting, because most of my day is very productive and I don't have that chance. But then I'm just like, why am I on this? Why Why can't I just brain rot laying here without doing anything for my brain or having to watch a TV show or like even my winding down is consumed in.
Speaker 1: That mean, Yeah, my winding down is watching TikTok till my eyes hurt. That's not good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I'll be falling as like my eyes are closing and I'll be either like scrolling or I'm playing a game, Like that's not good. You should be closing your eyes like gently Finn asleep it's in the dark. But I'm not. And I think about that a lot. I've had rude awakenings a lot recently, if you can't tell, I've also had a lot of crash outs and spirals.
Speaker 1: You personally or I was like, that's your algorithm. You see other people crashing.
Speaker 2: Out completely myself or I will just like be on something for so long and it's it's partially from looking at a bunch of vendors where there's like fifteen different things, and I'm like, I have looked at the same photo five thousand times and my brain just falls apart and then I have a crash out because I can't. It's like I'm you know, when you watch a computer try and do too many things at once. Mine just did it. It literally just like dies, that's what my brain does, and I just completely crash out. It's a it's a.
Speaker 1: Weird experience, just locks up. You get the circle of death.
Speaker 2: Literally, and I'm just like. My fiance will come home from work and I'm just like, I don't know, and he's like, are you are you broken? Are you like is there life inside of you? Like what is happening? Have you never had a crash out or like a spiral like that or your whole body just kind of like what are you doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I haven't had in a while, though luckily I've had to do therapy itself to manage those things in medication. So luckily the tools I've learned have kept me from that. I get close to it and I can feel it, but no, not a super bad crash out recently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, that's weird, but it's also like overloaded. I think of all the stress that everybody is under on any normal given day, like a job. Me and we look at just our jobs in general. We have a lot of things that we have to do and accomplish. Yeah, and then you add life, social health and fitness, cooking your food, taking care of like see, then I started to crash out of it. I started thinking about it.
Speaker 1: That's why I go for twenty mile runs. Honestly.
Speaker 2: Oh I yeah, I wish I could mike.
Speaker 1: It's all that steam. Just that's where I'm not bothered.
Speaker 2: It's so true, and I would love to do that, but I would crash out on the run. My body'd be like, what are you trying to add to our thing? And I would be like five miles from this is like when I tried rollerblading for the first time to like again, to pick it up as an adult and give me something to do, and I crashed five minutes from my house.
Speaker 1: I think it's just a matter of finding something where you're not being notified or you're not looking at anything. Whatever that is it worked you're doing. Was it disc all for a while?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm trying everything the problem is finding time to do set through and then I crash out trying to I just there's a lot going on in my library. It's really just like planning and organizing and all the things. There's just a heavy mental load trying to do a bunch of things at one time. I like, it's also exciting stuff, but it's just you know, when you're your to do list looks more long than your grocery list, you're kind of like, Okay, one day that'll hopefully not be there. But anyways, I just had a small crashout right there.
Speaker 1: We wouldn't sitd in real time?
Speaker 2: Did you saw my brain doing it? But Mike, thanks for joining coming on.
Speaker 1: This was good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're seeing we have a Oh my, I don't know any more what I was trying to say. Tell everybody where they can find you and hear you.
Speaker 1: You can listen to my podcast movie Mike's Movie Podcast, new episodes every single Monday, and I am on social media at Mike Distro on literally everything.
Speaker 2: I love it. And you can follow the show at Bobby Bone Show. And I'm gonna go before my bride shuts down completely.
Speaker 1: Bye everybody, Bye. That's the best bits of the Week with Morgan. Thanks for listening. Be sure to check out the other two parts this weekend. Go follow the show on all social platforms Bobby Bone Show and follow ed web Girl Morgan to submit your listener questions for next week's episode.