Speaker 1: Hey, we're slowly making Tuesday your favorite day of the week.
Speaker 2: One week at a time.
Speaker 1: Hey, you found the Second Date Update podcast. Thank you for being here at Brook and Jeffrey in the morning. But today is always your awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 3: Yes, and you guys love it.
Speaker 2: I think I know.
Speaker 1: I mean the stats say yes because it's always one of the most downloaded of the week. So that is awesome. Thank you so much for being here. It is unlike any we've ever done before. I will say that, yeah, it really is different, different than possibly illegal. But we need to get to some listener comments first.
Speaker 4: Okay, someone from Diego vela seven seven nine, who said, Hey, I've been listening to the show every day since i found the YouTube channel. I would love to get a shout out from Jose doing the Veto impression. Please, it's my favorite. Greetings from Mexico.
Speaker 3: Hey, wait a minute, what was this guy's name? Tell me what was the name again?
Speaker 2: Diego?
Speaker 3: One of the stupid numbers behind his name you.
Speaker 2: Seven zero seven nine.
Speaker 3: Seven zero seven nine. My favorite is a seven zero eight.
Speaker 5: Oh, let's get you some pasta get back into the post, and it's starting right.
Speaker 2: Now with your awkward Tuesday phone call.
Speaker 3: How far would you go to help out a friend?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it depends. Would you steal for them?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Would you lie for them?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I don't know yet.
Speaker 3: Would you cheat with their significant other and capture it on a secret camera to go back and show them I told you he is no good?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: Seven times that night?
Speaker 2: He did it out of a good place.
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Why did you keep seven times?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 3: Just to prove how bad? Hey, well, one of our listeners says she has to do one of those things because she is in a tough spot.
Speaker 2: How sat the husband one her friend.
Speaker 3: Has requested that she tell maybe the biggest lie of her entire life, and if she doesn't do it right, it could come back and ruin her friend's career. Oh so you'll hear why she needs to do this with our help in your brand new awkward Tuesday phone call right after this, It's awkward. It's Tuesday. It's awkward Tuesday phone call. It's an unfortunate fact that people lie all the time.
Speaker 2: No, they don't.
Speaker 3: I see what she did there. Yeah, that was a lie that wasn't true. So some lies are really bad, but some are kind of harmless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some are necessary to be honest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, depending on the situation necessary.
Speaker 3: But for example, where would this one rank. I'll say the statement. You tell me how bad it is? Okay, Brooke tells her family and friends she went to an accredited college.
Speaker 7: I did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, keep the story going, selling it. I wouldn't change it if I was you either. You're in way too deep now.
Speaker 8: But I think she was just like a hillbilly in Montana for three years and just told everyone she was out of.
Speaker 3: College pretty much. I understand why she twists the truth a little bit. But even Brooks web of deceit isn't as bad as the one. Our listener, Lorie, finds herself caught in today.
Speaker 2: Bad where's your degree from?
Speaker 1: Laurie?
Speaker 3: Laurie, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 9: Hi, thank you?
Speaker 2: H Are you feeling bad?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I mean my friend put me in a really awkward position.
Speaker 3: Who lied in this situation? You were your friend?
Speaker 9: My friend lied in this situation?
Speaker 1: Oh, and then expected you to cover maybe why what happened? Yeah?
Speaker 9: So she put me down as a reference on her job resume without telling me.
Speaker 3: Oh oh god, oh.
Speaker 1: No, I mean if she would have asked, what would you have said? I mean, you'd have to lie. That's one of those necessary lies you'd have to say.
Speaker 2: Okay, but you Yeah.
Speaker 8: Like if I just got a random call right now and it was like Brooke Fox is applying you, I would cover for you. I totally would like you just like got you just tell.
Speaker 2: Your friends if you put him Ada.
Speaker 3: You would totally put Jose down on your resume.
Speaker 8: Yeah, like, ma'am, is he responsible?
Speaker 3: Totally don't lie, broke, don't lie.
Speaker 2: I would definitely use Jose as my reference.
Speaker 8: Oh man, never get a job with Brooke as a friend.
Speaker 3: So, Laurie, your friend didn't warn you that she was doing this.
Speaker 9: No, So I didn't really know anything about it. But I did get a random voice NOIL yesterday.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's good. Yeah, so went to voice Will.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but it was like some guy at a company. He said, if he wants to talk to me about my friend, he wants to ask me a few questions. So like, again, like I didn't know about this. So I reached out to my friend and I'm like, what the heck, Like what did you do?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 9: And she was really sorry, like she didn't realize they would actually call the references, I guess or she would have told me.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, okay, I'm kind of I didn't realize that people actually called the references.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you.
Speaker 8: Never felt like they did.
Speaker 4: I definitely worked in jobs where they told me that they don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I think it's more like, do you have three friends, because if you don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's pretty bad if you put down somebody as a reference and they don't give a good referral.
Speaker 3: That's why I didn't put my mom down as a referenda. Yeah, it's too risky. So do you know did your friend put you down as like a past employer, like a professional reference.
Speaker 9: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yeah, not as a friend, not as a friend.
Speaker 2: Did you actually okay, did you work with her?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 9: She absolutely lied about it.
Speaker 3: Oh god, that's a lie.
Speaker 6: I don't why you guys?
Speaker 2: Are I thought everyone does this?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think I check my references for this job.
Speaker 2: It was probably my friend. If someone called.
Speaker 1: Your friends, you would have been outed in five seconds.
Speaker 3: And I feel like it might be a generational thing where everyone in Alexis's generation doesn't really like know about that or how it works.
Speaker 2: Resumes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the falls thunders, Yeah, all falls under the same category. So now Laurie. It sounds like you're in kind of a tough position, like what are you what are you wanting to do?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 9: I don't know. Like I call my friend. She's kind of begging me to call this boss person back and just like answer the questions and say nice things about her. But like I'm over here, like are you crazy? Because Okay, here's the worst part in the reference. It says that I'm a fluent French speaker.
Speaker 2: Why why would it say that?
Speaker 9: Because it's like an international brand manager job in branding, So I don't speak friends, I don't want to speak it. I mean, I don't really know what I was to say, Like do I just call this boss person and do it? Like I need help?
Speaker 8: Wait, you you do want to call the boss? I thought you're calling your friend here.
Speaker 4: You can't change your reference if she wants to job God, So you're the boss has reached out like asking to have this conversation.
Speaker 8: So we're about to make a professional reference phone call.
Speaker 2: But we're going to be on the other line, like the boss will know.
Speaker 9: I know you play the awkward sound effect, So I think, like I'll just hang up and then you guys just hit it.
Speaker 3: I mean, Laurie, if the boss busts you and realizes that you aren't really one of your friend's past employers, and we should probably jump on to try and help you and your friend.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, I mean I think I need help.
Speaker 3: What about you and me?
Speaker 8: Quick French lesson in the next three minutes.
Speaker 2: Say you don't know any friends.
Speaker 3: If it makes you feel any better, Lori, we're radio hosts and we barely speak English, so you'll probably be able to get something passable by when we come back and give you our advice. Then let you give a reference to your a professional reference for your friend.
Speaker 2: This is such a bad idea. I love it.
Speaker 3: Every awkward Tuesday phone call right after this. Okay, hold on, it's awkward. It's say it's awkward Tuesday phone call. We've done a lot of awkward calls on this show, never one like this before, though, where our listener Laurie has asked us to assist in giving a professional job reference for her friend, and there's a few problems with it. One, Laurie has never actually worked with her friend in any professional capacity before, so that's a lie. Also, the reference implies that she's a fluent French speaker, which is not true at all, So hopefully the call doesn't even go there. But Laurie wants to know how do we help her fake it to make it sound legit? And luckily Brooke fakes it every couple of nights, or at least her husband does. So Brook Brook, we need your fake wisdom here. What does Laurie do.
Speaker 1: If she asks you to speak French? You just tell her you're on a French fast. You gave up the language lent. Maybe it was attracting too many men. You just start taking a break from French right now.
Speaker 3: It's too many carbs in the French language.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're just are just can't do it right now?
Speaker 3: Ok?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So lock that nugget into your mind. Jose what advice do you have for Laurie?
Speaker 8: You need to set the expectation that you don't have a lot of time here, all right, either you got this whole thing's got to be quick.
Speaker 2: Remember you're important.
Speaker 9: You're important.
Speaker 8: You got some other billion dollar corporation you're running right now.
Speaker 3: You own Costco or something, right, Yeah? Because I think the longer that you stay on the phone, the more you open yourself up to the opportunity to be found out as a fraud.
Speaker 2: That's sure.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I really want to help my friend. I want this to work out. Okay, So I just want to get in and get out without crying or boy, Oh no.
Speaker 3: Don't cry out.
Speaker 2: You can't cry.
Speaker 3: That's called the Brook Anniversary Special. My friend is so sweet.
Speaker 9: I'm really nervous. I think we should just like a hurry and just do this.
Speaker 3: Okay, my job. The number is really fast and we'll jump in if you feel like you need help, but we won't. You've got this, okay.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, Hello.
Speaker 9: Hi is this Philip.
Speaker 7: Speaking? Who's this?
Speaker 9: Hi? My name is RII. I'm a reference for Jamie. You called me yesterday and lefts a message.
Speaker 7: Oh yes, thank you so much for getting back to me.
Speaker 9: Yeah, of course, I mean I'm happy to try and help with I tell I just I don't have a lot of time. I'm a very busy, busy person with a lot of responsibilities.
Speaker 7: Totally understand. This shouldn't take long at all.
Speaker 9: Great, So what can I say? Jamie is a fantastic person and a good worker, and I'd hire us.
Speaker 7: Okay, I haven't asked any questions yet.
Speaker 9: Oh, that's you know, I just wanted to let you know, if you have specific questions, you can ask me. But that's you know, she's a great hire.
Speaker 7: That's great information to know. But let's just go ahead and jump in and start with the first question.
Speaker 9: Okay, sure, I do have a meeting that's coming up soon, so.
Speaker 7: Just like if I have to jump we'll take no time at all. So she was a little vague about her international sales experience. It was just a little unclear.
Speaker 9: Yeah. Well, in my experience, I had her doing sales internationally because she was just so good at them domestically, and I was like, you know, let's supersize it and take it overseas. So she did it and it was it was great.
Speaker 7: Uh, Okay, that doesn't give me a ton of specifics. This sales role. She would be interacting with people from other cultures pretty frequently, and it says here on her resume that she speaks French, and she mentioned that you had spoken French too, pretty frequently. And so what is the level of expertise would you say that she has.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I know that she is she's an expert fluent in French, but I do believe she said that she's giving it up for lents, so she's probably not gonna be able to speak it to you for at least ninety days.
Speaker 7: So if she if she's using French for her job, she's not gonna be able to use it for ninety days.
Speaker 9: I yeah, I don't. I don't want to push her. I don't want to you know, I know it's a it's a personal religious choice.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 9: Oh, and did you know that she was the one in charge of sella McDonald's fries over in France.
Speaker 7: Like like French fries French.
Speaker 9: Yeah, but but she came up with the whole advertisement saying like they look like mini begets.
Speaker 7: Okay, that is interesting. I've absolutely never heard of that one before ever.
Speaker 9: Oh you never, You've never heard of that? That's crazy. I actually, well, I call her uh, Litree and Tampagente.
Speaker 7: The three intelligence exactly, Yeah.
Speaker 9: Because she is as smart as three people. But you know, put into one body, really inspired.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 9: I think, honestly, you really should just hire her. You won't be sorry. She's got real main Assault energy, big Assault jay.
Speaker 7: Uh Okay, Okay.
Speaker 9: I didn't even see the time I got to run.
Speaker 7: Okay, I will take that into consideration and thanks for taking some time.
Speaker 9: Yeah, hopefully that was helpful. It was talking to you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was uh something, all right, you two?
Speaker 9: Goodbye or what?
Speaker 7: Okay, thank you? What?
Speaker 2: He's gone right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he hung up the Laurie you're still there? Oh?
Speaker 7: No, I did not know.
Speaker 2: French fries mini baguettes.
Speaker 9: I don't know. It seems interesting.
Speaker 3: I think she was a little bit worried about the French references and the thing over compensation.
Speaker 2: You were on a French fast, no French.
Speaker 8: Did you mention Fluffy the three headed dog from Harry Potter somehow like the intelligence of three heads?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I actually thought that was pretty good. Three people. Actually, that was actually out of all the things she said, Okay, most solid.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm sorry.
Speaker 9: I really didn't know what I was saying. I got panicked and I like, I mean, I knew some friend, so I just threw in what I knew.
Speaker 3: I think overall, it's better than most of the reference job interview things that happen, at least at the radio station.
Speaker 1: It's not a good comparison. You don't have professional people here.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it could have gone worse.
Speaker 2: Okay, that man left so confused.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but maybe that builds the mystique or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the French drink.
Speaker 3: Yes, what we did today is we put the pressure on the second reference in her resume.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is probably your best friend or her mom.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hopefully your friend has a good second person.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean I guess I can say that I followed through.
Speaker 5: You did.
Speaker 3: I think you did it.
Speaker 1: I think you need to tell her about the at least the McDonald's campaign for French fries in baguette.
Speaker 2: So if they ask her about it, she knows.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, I'm definitely going to tell her. But it does kind of look like it right.
Speaker 1: Actually, comparison there, it's a long They should put back the kids meals in France. I mean, we all know that French fries come from France, right, Like, I don't know. I didn't even really get what she made up there. Was it just the campaign the marketing thing, or was.
Speaker 9: It Well, she's an international sales effort, so of course.
Speaker 3: Jump question Broy. Okay, Well, Jamie, the good news is that you followed through on your promise to your friend. You gave her a reference. It's not necessarily a great reference. I don't think, but you did it. Yeah, you followed through and you didn't offend anyone.
Speaker 8: Well maybe everyone in France, all our French listeners.
Speaker 1: Can you do us a favor and update us whether or not your friend gets a job.
Speaker 2: I'm really curious, like you need to know.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I definitely will. I tried reaching her earlier, but she's like working out some kind of like broad at a stone of course. Oh you tried to.
Speaker 2: Pack in all that French.
Speaker 9: Yeah, jose really wants the job, so she's trying.
Speaker 2: Take it till you make it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good luck to her, and good luck to you.
Speaker 9: Okank you freaking Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 3: We recorded that call last week and we just got word yesterday. I think everybody should know there's an update on the job situation. Apparently her friend got to the final four candidates but did not get hired for the role.
Speaker 1: Her friend, I know, did she not get hired because of the references?
Speaker 7: What was this?
Speaker 3: It might be for the best because it would be hard to live up to the lofty image that she had painted for her with all of them McDonald's stuff, the French voices. But maybe the best news out of all of this is their friendship is still intact. Oh friend appreciated Lorie went to bad for her and promises from now on she's not going to list her as a reference. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think after she heard the call this morning, she's definitely going to.
Speaker 5: Back that up.
Speaker 3: She has asked if Brooke will be a reference for her. So, Brooke, you got this.
Speaker 2: I didn't do well in French.
Speaker 3: Whatever language you speak, French or hopefully English, you can listen to all of our second dates are Awkward Tuesdays, wherever you get them on Apple, Spotify. Check it out at Brook
Speaker 9: And Jeffrey Brook and Jeffrey in the morning