Speaker 1: Wake that ass up in the morning. Breakfast Club, Yep, the world the most dangerous morning show, The Breakfast Club. Charlamagne to God just hilarious is here? NBA is not? Laura Leo says, filling in, and we got the fabulous Coco Jones here. What's happening? Coco? Nice album?
Speaker 2: It's your debut album, it's my first album.
Speaker 1: Why not more? I'm gonna tell you right now, definitely don't care about you, and I'm gonna tell you why. I'm gonna tell you why they sent your album at seven forty four a m. This morning. And I said, no, we should cancel the interview because it's not fair to you as an artist, and it's not fair to us as as hosts, and because because you know you're you're sitting here now and then you know people will be in your face talking to you about everything except for your music, and people will wonder why why are they always just focused on the mess? Why are they talking about everything but their music? It's because your label didn't send it until seven forty four this morning. We're doing a show. Who got time to listen to the to the album?
Speaker 2: I hear you?
Speaker 1: So yes, that's that's the reason why that was the hold up. So I don't know what the label told you, but that was the reason. I was like, you know what, let's cancel the interview.
Speaker 2: Dang, so you still want to do it, Yeah, we're doing it now.
Speaker 1: But I just like that Lauren did a crash. Listen.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's why I was rushing for these papers. Okay, because I am a fan. I do feel like you deserve your moment. But it went down how he said it went down.
Speaker 1: I didn't get a chance to listen to it and left. Andyody was like, I ain't listen to it. I'm not gonna do it like that.
Speaker 4: And he didn't say cancel, he said reschedule. He said cancel you.
Speaker 2: He was like, we should reschedule it because that's not fair to either.
Speaker 1: You don't think I don't think it's fair to you at all.
Speaker 2: I mean, I hear what you're saying.
Speaker 5: I definitely feel like I would want you all to hear it if y'all would want to ask me questions about it.
Speaker 2: I also know, though, like there's only I only got the right now.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm going on tour right after I dropped this album, so I do want to still talk about it and I can still I can share what I know and y'all can listen to it when you get to listen to it.
Speaker 2: Okay, my label.
Speaker 1: Let me.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna let you just say that.
Speaker 1: And it's in the antil seven forty four. This morning it was a radio station.
Speaker 2: I gotta say, I love my label.
Speaker 4: They be doing right by me, but doing what I would do if somebody talk about one of y'all, I'd be like, what, like.
Speaker 1: Y'all while we're.
Speaker 4: Here, Hi, Hey, how you feeling. I'm feeling good. I'm feeling good. I'm happy to be here.
Speaker 3: Debut album, Yeah, but like you've been, I feel like your music has been so big, but this is your technical like first album.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is my first album ever.
Speaker 5: Which is weird though, because I feel like on one on one side, I feel like it's like deja vu in away, But on the other side, I'm like, Okay, technically I have never put out an album, so I've been it's like weird to say that like an album. I've been used to say an EP, which is different. It's different but similar to what is.
Speaker 4: The difference What do you think the difference is between the EP and an actual album.
Speaker 5: I think honestly the weight that they hold. I mean, an EP is like a feeler, it's a little safer, it's a little like less serious, and then an album is like, you know, it's a chapter. You really respect it as an entire project. And then there's like a way more serious like rollout, and there's way more intentions behind it. I feel like with my EP, there were no expectations, and now with my album, I have so many expectations me myself and then of course.
Speaker 2: Like the world.
Speaker 1: And that's why the label should send it to people, especially radio stations before they do interviews. Lauren, you say what you said before Coco Walking, You keep that better, keep that same energy.
Speaker 3: No, no, I have the first of all, I said it all in love, so it's gonna be said. But I'm making sure Jess has the album's research that we had because I do want to talk about it because what I feel like happens with you is you have these big moments like I see you, and when those things drop, it's everything Coco Jones and we as fans feel like you are such a prize to R and B and what you do. You deserve that consistently, but then when things like today happen that if I didn't push, we wouldn't be.
Speaker 2: Doing this, and you deserve that moment.
Speaker 3: It's unfair to you, and I think that that's sometimes why as a fan, we feel like your music like suffers, like we have to like search for more than just like the clickie stuff. And you know, like even in listening to the music, I was happy we got to listen to it, even though I only got the five songs, because I could even feel in your music this is different because to me, it's like you're more into yourself.
Speaker 2: There's a lot more like sexual conversation. If you're a woman.
Speaker 3: You're here, and I know that that's what you want people to see you as because you've worked so hard. I don't think sometimes that the way that things appear to us as fans, that they're set up. You get that, and I don't think it's fair to you. That's what I said before you came in here.
Speaker 2: I could definitely understand that perspective.
Speaker 5: I feel like also though, like there's just so much out every freaking day, you know, so in general, it's like who has the real formula.
Speaker 2: To put everyone's eyes on that one thing all the time.
Speaker 5: If so, then everyone would copy that and then that would be a wash, you know what I'm saying. So I'm like, there really is no formula. I can understand that, but I'm like, I don't even know what to tell people to do.
Speaker 2: The people lot.
Speaker 5: I'm seeing what they're supposed to do because I'm looking at you right there. I'm seeing you doing the things you know, and I'm doing everything that I'm told to do. So it's like it's it's no real formula, it's how you look at it. And I love the way that you look at it because it's a lot that you have to offer.
Speaker 4: You an actress, you're an artist, and speaking of how we look at things, taste, the visual, what made you step out and be like that?
Speaker 2: I've never seen you like that?
Speaker 4: Now, you're always sexy, always, you know what I mean, But you've never ever popped out like that the visual for taste? What made you say I'm gonna I'm gonna just give them a lot more sexy than she was very much time is now I'm saying, never even know that she could dance like that, honestly, clockt.
Speaker 2: What what ignited that Coco Jones Fire.
Speaker 5: What was that? Well, first of all, I mean the song it's self, it is sexy, you know what I'm saying. But I think for me, I want people to already know, like, hey, she does multiple different sides of her, Like of course I can do like the belting and I'm in my feelings and I'm going there and it's vocals and it's all of that, but like, I don't want to do a whole show of that. You know, That's just not how I authentically feel right now. I mean, I'm twenty seven. I have other sides to me, the way I talk with my girls, the way I talk when I'm mad, Like I want to be able to show those different sides too. So I feel like, when do I do that, it would have to be now, you know what I'm saying, to like get people warmed up to different versions of me. And honestly, when I made Taste, my album was already done. It was supposed to be out in October, and then it just wasn't flowing right, so we you know, pushed it back, and so I kind of had no I guess expectations that I put on myself. Yeah, and I was kind of like I did my part so like I'm just gonna have fun, and then that led to Taste, which to me, it was just so fun and it was freeing and it was scary, so I just I just wanted to do it.
Speaker 2: I was scared.
Speaker 1: So what was def Jam? You had that since October? Def Jam didn't sit until seven forty four this morning?
Speaker 2: You know what, where is the grace in the room? Where is it?
Speaker 1: Where is aisten? I just want the best for Coco Jones. Thank you said that they're doing good things for you. I'm just simply saying, why not more?
Speaker 2: Okay, well you ate that part.
Speaker 1: That's all.
Speaker 2: I ate that parts the album.
Speaker 5: But anyway, so a version of it was done in October, but a lot of it changed. A lot of a change like me, I mean, Taste happened because there was no you know, there was no expectation, and it was scary because I was gonna get mixed reactions. I knew that, like some people were going to be like, you're this girl, You're the singing girl, don't dance, don't do that, don't be sexy, you know what I'm saying, And then other people were going to live for it. So I kind of just had to be okay with that because I feel like, what am I supposed to do? You know, it's my life too, and I'm still a developing artist. These are the things I want to do and try and maybe one day I'll look back. I mean I probably would look back at some of the things that I did and be like, but like, give me the.
Speaker 2: Time, though you keep it. I mean I did be like, funny, you keep it tasteful when you.
Speaker 4: Do absolutely even taste was tasteful and it was the non to Britain experience. Well actually though that was that was it was cut down and down and down.
Speaker 2: I really did.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say I really did try a lot of things because I wanted to see what they look like on myself. Because also like I don't know how I feel doing something until I try it. So either I could live with like the regret and the fear of like I don't even want to push it like that, or I could try things and luckily I have a team who's like, try it. You know, they'll they'll help me facilitate figuring out who I am all the way.
Speaker 2: And so I did do way more than that's in that video. So it just wasn't saying right, is that why?
Speaker 3: So to the time that he talked about October to when we getting it down, and that's why things have been like changing and that's.
Speaker 2: Why we got the stuff like because everything was changing.
Speaker 5: No, the songs changed from October, some of them changed, some of them changed from October to now the album coming out, but Taste the video, I was just saying, like, yeah, the edits of it like they it got shopped and screwed a lot because I wasn't feeling some the ways that I looked. I wasn't feeling for myself, like it didn't feel like me. You know, some of it felt like me trying to do something versus some of it felt like me being me. And I just kept what was like a green light in my spirit, you know?
Speaker 2: Is that is now? Is Coco en taste?
Speaker 4: Are Is that like happy in a relationship, Coco, or like I'm getting I'm getting done right, Coco. I think what I'm saying or is that just just a side of you that we have not seen that you just you you know what I'm saying. I think it's just I'm grown and you know me and my girls. We taught like this, like when we when we're flirty, like when we're sensual, like were grown.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying, Like music is all of the things. It's in love, it's late night, it's anger, it's all of these emotions. So I wanted to in this album. I wanted to try to show all the different sides of me and really just learn, like learn from myself.
Speaker 2: How did that?
Speaker 5: How did that make me feel? How did the video make me feel? How the response is Being on tour and seeing what people like and what they don't like, it all all kind of is like lights up in my brain, Like Okay, now I know that, Like I feel like it highlights things. And then I'm like, oh that's what I like. Oh That's what I should be doing more of, you know what I'm saying, Like.
Speaker 3: So okay, because first of all, when you talk about relationships, you're glowing instantly. We had so you somebody's leaving a legacy on your lips when they kiss you. Then you got a e O m G.
Speaker 2: It was something to say.
Speaker 3: It sounds when you're feeling good, when you're in the midst of all of the things you got that one girl.
Speaker 2: You got the song where I forget Here we Go?
Speaker 3: Is that the song where you talking about you try and get over somebody but then won't leave you along because but you lay up with your new boo. You've been talking about being happy in these interviews and the people are saying that it's Donovan Mitchell.
Speaker 2: Is this your bab? Is that what's happening?
Speaker 1: I'm happy.
Speaker 2: That's all I got to say about it. I mean, okay, so it is and the music gives happy, So I'm happy for you.
Speaker 4: Yes, No the nigga who sell houses irid.
Speaker 5: But no, I talk about as much as I feel like I want to talk about because I'm not the type to be giving out all of my yeahs. That's not my truth. I give as much as I can, and I give my everything when it comes to this music shit. So I'm like, yeah, I'm happy, and yeah, y'all know it is.
Speaker 2: Did you write all the songs on the on the album? I co wrote a lot of them, I will say, and a couple of them I didn't write, Okay, here we Go? Did you write here we Go? Okay?
Speaker 3: When I listen to it, I can feel that you wrote it because of the way that you sing it versus some of the other songs. Not that they're not good, but you beat Yes, I heard that, yeah that when I was like this one right here, I know she wrote this one. I just I feel that when you're writing and you say you don't want to give everything to everybody. But I listened to this project and I'm like, oh my girl, it's in love and it's good. How do you hold back on certain things to not give it all because it's it's oozing out of you in the music?
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you well. I feel like a lot of the things I talk about are very relatable. It's not like I'm like and then we pulled up at something like and it's very specific to me.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: I try to make songs that are useful, you know what I'm saying. So I'm trying to say things that I feel, but in a general way. And also, I love to co write because I feel like I don't have the only perspective and I'm trying to make songs that, you know, have a wider range of perspectives. So I'll be having me and somebody else or a couple of people going back and forth to make it feel like this is what we really say, This is how we really talk as people.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. And then also I feel like other than that, in like interviews, you know, you just.
Speaker 1: Pivot right line from here we go because I don't know what this mean? Why has got to be your way? I wanted to be mine? What you think this is for? Play must be out your mind, Like.
Speaker 5: I was basically saying, when you're playing with somebody's emotions, when you in and out of their life, like like do you feel like that's funny or hot or like are you into that?
Speaker 1: Like what's wrong with oh okay okay, okay, okay, okay, So cause you use word four plates, but you're talking. I get what you're saying, Like are you thinking you when.
Speaker 2: You're playing with my life? When you're playing, like, do you think I like that? Because in the songs, she's like, Yo, I'm happy over here.
Speaker 3: I like where I'm at. But you just you pop up in my likes, you showing up places like you think that this is like this is it like that, no leave me alone? But he's not leaving her alone. And those guys be kind of little key having a little hold even though they shouldn't like the guy. So if you're moved on and you're trying.
Speaker 2: To just like everybody has had that person that you know can always slide.
Speaker 3: Back either, You're right, I don't have that because I'm disconnected from anything toxic and I'm moving into my glory and my happiness.
Speaker 2: Wow. I love that. That is so foul that no, I know they be in your phone, that you just be blocking that I'm they he won. That was the one together pivoted.
Speaker 1: So that was where we going with this.
Speaker 2: When warn anyway, I thank you because.
Speaker 1: Why why?
Speaker 2: Why? More?
Speaker 1: Why not more?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 2: What did you did you come up with that title?
Speaker 5: Okay, So it's one of the songs that is on the album. It's actually featuring wy D Marley, and it's really dope. It's like an island vibe. And I really loved that title because I felt like that's what I kept asking myself, like why would I hold back? You know, why wouldn't I do the things that I feel like I really want to do? And I feel like all the answers were rooted in fear, like, oh, they might not like it or it might not work, And I'm like I would rather just try things and be able to like learn from them, then then not try and wonder what would have happened, if you know. So that kind of led to why Not More being the album name, but also I feel like it was a little less serious, like it was meaning why not More or like self titled Coco whatever. But I'm like, I don't even know if I fully know Coco yet myself, So I don't know if that's my truest true is true?
Speaker 2: Is truth? To name my album?
Speaker 1: That?
Speaker 5: I feel like why not More resonated with me more because I'm just I ask myself a lot of questions, I ask my team a lot of questions.
Speaker 2: I'm very curious and I'm still like trying to figure it out.
Speaker 1: I love that because it feels like, you know, you give your all to everything you do. So when you give your all but death jam doesn't. How does that make you feel?
Speaker 2: Why are you still on that? You know why? I'm just asking that one time from the store.
Speaker 4: This is crazy, It is crazy, My god. I'm like, here's what I really feel.
Speaker 5: I really feel like it takes a lot of effort and time to make an artist work and for a developing artist, and I feel like I want what I really want people to do is to look at me with the perspective of like, I'm not trying to do like the trending here today and I'm gone type thing. I'm trying to make things that are timeless. But that takes time and that takes effort, And I feel like I have a team that does a lot for me and has effort for me, Like I wouldn't be up here saying that if that was my truth.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: When they dropped the ball this morning and at a crucial time like this, they shouldn't be doing that. That's all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So when would you prefer to listen to it a week ago?
Speaker 1: You were on the schedule. A week ago should have been the album. We should have marinated with the album for a while to really be able to have a conversation. I think albums are different than movies. I don't like to watch movies before I have conversations with people about their movies because you don't want to spoil it.
Speaker 2: But I think albums, Okay, well, I got five singles out, did you listen to them? They've been out?
Speaker 1: When you let me hear this morning Taste, and it was another one was the one you let me this morning hear, I go here we go taste.
Speaker 2: You need to hear that ae O MG, so he knows you think? So yeah what he said American Eagle?
Speaker 5: Oh my guy?
Speaker 2: What does that mean? For real?
Speaker 1: Though? Ay?
Speaker 2: OMG. So basically it's just like a freaky song and it's like legs on the legs on the ceiling.
Speaker 5: Got me like MG, like it's just something to say. It's just MG is But when is the AE was you know when you say your vowels.
Speaker 2: A E, I owe you that? Yeah, like she's just yeah, we were just having fun.
Speaker 1: Vowels.
Speaker 2: I can't with that. But no, I'm really excited and you could listen to the album. It'll be out on Friday, and then I'm curious to hear your thoughts next time I see you.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, well, will you finish him?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 3: I got more stuff that I want to ask you. So, even in this moment right now, you're handling this conversation very very well.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Is this because you've done everything from Disney to we've seen your Fresh Prince Belair, the Remaker what is it called on Peacocklair on belair. You've been doing it for a long time. Does that Does this your ability to do this and still say human come from that or are you daily like kind of like prepping yourself up, like, hey, these are things that are going to be asked.
Speaker 2: I got to be ready for like are you just going and you're like, YOA, I got this.
Speaker 5: No. I think I do have to remind myself like when I'm doing press, like, okay, these are probably things that people are gonna want to talk about. What do I like, I want to be into myself, what I want to say, you know what I'm saying so that I'm not like caught off guard, even though you did kind of catch you off guard. I can't any hope, but you know, I do have that media training period. But other than that, I feel like I feel like honestly, having the window of time where nobody was really checking for me really brought me to earth, you know, and it in a way not like I was a gas up or anything, but I was just like a kid actor and like you didn't.
Speaker 2: You don't really have a personality, you.
Speaker 5: Know what I'm saying, You're just doing You're just doing what you gotta do and you love it and that's happy and that's fun.
Speaker 2: But I didn't live at all, Like I didn't experience much. I was not like wild'n out. I didn't.
Speaker 5: I didn't do anything really because I wanted to work, so I just wanted to be right for the job. So I think that brought me to a reality and like a kind of normalcy that I feel like I'm I even now, I'm like, hey, I'm really not like normal like I feel like I am. But you know, I can't just go and move the way I want to move because life is different. But I feel like I'm like I'm never going to be able to change because that window of.
Speaker 2: Time like was so real to me of like absolutely nothing.
Speaker 5: Going on that I feel like it'll never like nothing will really gas my head up and nothing will really take me down ever.
Speaker 1: Again, what it is stuck with you? You know you were a child start, So from what did you learn as a child star that stays with you? Nothing?
Speaker 5: That this is business sometimes and it's not personal and I can't like let it correlate with my self worth. You know, some of it is like so out of my control that it's like and it's gone. You know, it's really not me. It's really not me, you know. And as long as I like I feel like I'm giving my all to the things that are in my control, I'm happy, you know. And there's so much that I like. I can't make this album do any of the things that I wanted to do. I can't make anything be the way that I want it to be. But what I create that I can control, So that to me, I feel like has become the only thing that I correlate with, Like did I do a good job or not?
Speaker 2: Like is it something that I could control? Did I do my all there?
Speaker 1: And I'm happy with That's your serenity prayer.
Speaker 2: That's a serenity prayer, your that is right serenity prayer.
Speaker 1: God grant me the serenity to accept the things I can change, courage and change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Yeah, once you put that album mount into the ecosystem sute of your control, whatever it sells, whatever radio does with it, like, it's you did the best you could already in the studio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, for sure.
Speaker 4: I love how you defend your team. I love how you speak up for your team. And I love the fact that your mom has been like by your side through all this. So she your manager.
Speaker 5: No, my mom's not my manager. She she was for the time when they're body you know. But yeah, I feel like now my mom is more like my wife's counsel.
Speaker 2: And I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was. Definitely when she makes sure to tell her, make sure to tell her. Make sure to tell deaf jam. Make sure to tell your mom about death Jam.
Speaker 2: She's gonna watch this. You's gonna watch it. She probably gonna be your d M.
Speaker 3: Definitely, she's gonna say thank you, Okay, intend to cook on her first mind ever, well her, that would really the first. It was like it was like it was like the first uh first just brought up your mom and I know your mom used to help you do in package all those times.
Speaker 5: Actually she said she bought a lot of little little packaging stickers and put them all there like squares and put it in the thing and then it came out printed like that.
Speaker 2: I don't know how she did that. It's really giving it.
Speaker 1: I used to go to the office Max and get those stickers and you used to put them on there. That's how you used start the mixtapes and everything.
Speaker 5: Dang, I don't know how she figured out how to do that, but yeah, my mom was definitely like, you go, you got to have somebody who's willing to take you to those places to wait on them sets for you and like to you know, a job that you're auditioning for.
Speaker 2: You might not hear back whether you or not.
Speaker 5: You got that four months, and you might have to do so much in the meantime to like prove your prove your worth, you know, so somebody, especially if you're you know, you're a kid, somebody's got to be willing to do that with you. And I think my whole family honestly has invested in this because me and my mom would be gone. So that means my mom was gone from her kids, my mom was gone from her husband. We all like we knew what it was that we were like working awards and so my win is like is everybody's win because we all all put something in.
Speaker 1: What were your earliest memories of wanting to be who you are now? Was that your dream or did somebody instill that dream in you?
Speaker 5: It was definitely me, Like even when I look at little kid videos of me, like I would be like not even fully forming sentences, but I would be singing though, and they'd be like singing and I'd be like, yes, I would love to sing.
Speaker 2: So it was it was always me. I didn't think that like it could be a tangible job though, Like I knew.
Speaker 5: Sports was a real job because my dad played the NFL, so I was like, Okay, this is a real job, this can actually be something you do. But I didn't know music could be something you really do. I saw it on TV and I thought, you know, those people are doing that. But it wasn't until like my mom introduced me to the opportunities that I was like, you can try to do this yourself, like it's something I could do, and then.
Speaker 2: There was no stopping me.
Speaker 1: But then you also had absence because you got ano acting as well. Yeah yeah, so which bug do you think you know? And I guess infected you the most. Music definitely mean.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I respect acting because it's definitely outside my comfort zone and it's stories that are like outside of me, and you do it well, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: But I think music is like it's just like home to me. It just feels safe. So that was your first love of it and acting? Yeah? Absolutely. Are you looking forward to more film though?
Speaker 5: Oh yes, I literally went to South Africa this year to do a film and I really think it's going to be dope. I really ideally I would love to be able to do both every year. I think that that's really cool when artists can do that, So I want to try to keep that up.
Speaker 2: Oh do you have a favorite song on this album or why not?
Speaker 4: More?
Speaker 2: My favorite song?
Speaker 5: I mean it changes all the time, but I would say right now it's probably by myself. It's called It's called by Myself. It's basically saying I want to be comfortable by myself. I think I love that one because, you know, like it reminds me, like what's really important. Like I gotta know myself. You know, whatever's happening around me is gonna I can't let it influence me or affect me. I gotta know myself. And also I want to be really in tune with myself. I don't want to lose my voice. Yeah, knowing who I am, knowing what I want out of all of this, Knowing what's important to me, and also if this all went away, it would be me by myself.
Speaker 2: I cool with that. I always want to check myself upt that.
Speaker 1: Have you always feel comfortable by yourself?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: No, I definitely feel like.
Speaker 5: If anything, I felt like something was wrong if I didn't have people around me, like maybe like you know, you're not doing what you need to be doing, you're not booked with all the things like nah. But I think also by myself, to me, it doesn't mean alone. It means like intentionally sitting with yourself, like like learning yourself and taking that quiet time. I feel like that's when I get a lot of ideas. I feel like that's when I can like feel things and like unpack things, like what the heck was that? Actually I really didn't like the way he was saying that. You know what I'm saying nothing like that. I'm just saying, like you really like can think about things that are going on. There's so much sound, there's so much going on, there's so much fast paced that being by yourself, I feel like it's like crucial for self growth.
Speaker 2: You know, did you see that viral video of you?
Speaker 4: And the reason why I did you see because a lot of people don't be seeing stuff for themselves, like just because it hits blogs don't means you see it. But this is why I was so shocked when when I saw a taste, because it was a video a couple of weeks ago that I saw that went viral. Uh, and it was you rehearsing. She was looking like I ain't doing all that because they was like gy rating on each other. I guess your choreographer or whoever was displaying what they wanted to do, and you, like.
Speaker 2: Your face was like, I'm not No.
Speaker 5: I was so scared it was okay. So he was throwing her up in the air. Yes, and I'm tall, but I don't like heights that I can't. It ain't my choice, you know. But that's why I was looking scared of But I was proud of myself. I told I told the choreographer at least, I said, do what you would do, not what you think I can do, and let me see what happens.
Speaker 2: After day, I got it's too hard, I'm gonna tell you, Gila, And some of it was just too hard, but I was proud of myself like trying it. I was literally in a hoop.
Speaker 5: I had an air list come and like teach me how to be in a hoop and for what part of the video? I really was proud of myself went outside of my coming zone.
Speaker 1: I was living for it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you talked about earlier the moment you said when people weren't checking for you. It's like in between your Disney and like your next song and stuff of that nature. And I watched an interview where you were saying that you were like almost embarrassed to go out and get a job at certain points and things of that nature. How do you do it because people were virally saying things about where you've been and stuff. How do you deal with those moments when you're viral? But it's like for stuff that you don't care to be viral for now that you know yourself a bit, but you're still figuring yourself out.
Speaker 5: I feel like the Internet isn't real. I'm like, what is this place? It's not even like for real. What's real is the people that I tangibly talk to who know me, you know. So I'm like, this is so not real. So if something is going viral, I mean I might get a little sommer drop like y cause I'm like used to people talking about my music only and so anything else is getting. It's like it's still new to me that people care about what I got going on. Personally, I'm like, y'all care about that?
Speaker 2: Okay, how can we talk.
Speaker 1: About your music if we don't get the album? Tell the seven forty four that's not your fault though it's talk about that. Cham continue anyway.
Speaker 5: I really don't take it seriously because I feel like people's attention Spanish social it'll be important today, gone tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you don't talk about it. That's why I had to ask you, did you see the video I'm talking about because a lot of it far removed from social media and the internet.
Speaker 2: It's not a real place.
Speaker 4: It's a whole bunch of people who just say shit and just because they feel like they can have a voice now it's like all right, cool so and I feel like.
Speaker 5: Even when people are like talking, I'm like, they're still talking. I'm like, go stream the record. If you're about something, go streaming the difference.
Speaker 2: I know that's right. I'm not mad. I'm not blocking nobody. If you want to talk, keep it on. I need them to know that you're active on this page. Go ahead.
Speaker 1: What are the plans for the album released? This weekend.
Speaker 2: I have a party in Miami on Saturday, in LA on Saturday.
Speaker 5: And I'm doing a performance tonight that is like an exclusive thing with Motorilla. But I'm really excited. I'm going on tour, so been prepping for that. I'm doing interviews during the day and I've been doing my rehearsals at night. I'm excited to put the show together and performing everywhere. I'm going to Europe too to do some shows. I'm really excited for it.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to write a song about this. Him getting on your nerves all day to day.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, please, I am here for Coco. Coco was born in Sccoline and she was raising Tennessee, but she got that socculine and so I just want her to always be getting done right.
Speaker 2: You feel that you feel people staying you. I know when girl, Yes, yes, I thought you said staying.
Speaker 3: No, staying you like when something had because I don't I don't think it's the Disney stuff, because sometimes they do that with certain child actors and child stars. But I think it's just because we feel that you really care about your work. So when anything else happens, like when the scissor the Shannon Sharp question about Sciss BBL and it. Sissa commented the world was there was it was a staying thing. It was like, this was not for Coco. And then Sissy came out and said, no, why would that be a Coco Jones question?
Speaker 2: I love Scissa. I was like, I was really caught off guard by that.
Speaker 5: But no, I do feel the energy and people tell me all the time, like when I see them, they're like, we're so proud of you, like we're rude of You're on my thank you.
Speaker 2: I'm like, thank you.
Speaker 5: I don't really know how to feel because for such a long time I was like, you and your brain are likeybody, nobody cares.
Speaker 2: And then to see trust me, it was giving Desert Island.
Speaker 3: It's because you had hides and lows. That's what I was talking about earlier, because when you when you when the low hit, you were out the way, you weren't doing much anything, and you had to come out the internet.
Speaker 2: That's real about this what I literally, yeah, she had to go online and talk. I did a whole video about this.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, people who know people.
Speaker 3: It was No, it's because I'm locked into your journey and I appreciated your journey because you talked about, Yo, this is what's really happening right now, even I don't want to tell y'all. And that's why I think we like lock in with you because we can identify the ups and downs and it's real and you got to fight to come back, and when you come back, it's always good music facts.
Speaker 2: And I do appreciate that. I really really do.
Speaker 5: I do feel the love and I want to like give some think good in return for the people who care, you know, and support me.
Speaker 2: I'm trying.
Speaker 5: I want to give something good. So I'm glad that, like y'all know that I really really care about my stuff real.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to make stuff at last.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I love what I do and I would I would do it all again, even though it was so uncomfortable at that point, for this payoff and for also to inspire the next girl, like take it easy on yourself, have some grace.
Speaker 2: It don't mean it's you. Sometimes they just don't know. You know, what point did you get to that point where you was like, yo, bro, I'm doing everything I can do. Mmm.
Speaker 5: I feel like that's always kind of where I was at. I couldn't stop doing like what I loved because it was still so important to me. But I think when I told what.
Speaker 2: I did that video about everything that happened, I was like, this might be the last thing I ever do, so I'm just keep it real.
Speaker 5: I don't know what's gonna go after this, but yeah, I feel like that was always my truth, Like I'm giving it everything I got, so I can live with that.
Speaker 1: And it's just life and life. If you really believe in God, you got to respect the process real period. Because I don't even believe in so called good or bad. I just believe everything is part of one long process. Whatever I'm going through, this is what God wants me to go through.
Speaker 5: I completely agree with that, and I think there's a certain amount of faith too that like if you know it's on the way, how would you move?
Speaker 2: And so sometimes I.
Speaker 5: Would post that cover, delete the app because I knew the engagement was so low.
Speaker 2: But if it was on the way, how would I move?
Speaker 5: I will still do this. I would still put my voice out there. I would still write songs, I would still do videos. I will still do it. You know, I'll still go to auditions. If I knew it was on the way. Me and my best friend will talking about this all the time because we were both going through it at the same time.
Speaker 2: We actually met on set.
Speaker 5: Me and my best friend, we've been on the Disney Channel show when we were like fourteen. So who's your best friend, Jalen. Her name is Jayleen Barry. She's an amazing actress. To check her out period.
Speaker 2: She's on a lot of shows and she does her big one. Oh, I know, that's pretty best friend. I would never do my best friend like that because she a clown. Are we getting the season four? A bella or you can't talk about that? I can talk about it.
Speaker 5: We're doing the season four. Actually, while I'm on tour, I'll be filming some of it. I'm gonna come back to do my episodes, but it'll be the fourth and final season. But I think it's good that we know it'll be the final season, so we can do everything with like the intention of like, okay, let's put a bowl on it.
Speaker 2: And I'm really excited.
Speaker 5: I think we've done something great that we you know, it's a blessing to keep people's attention for more than a one season, more than one episode.
Speaker 2: So I'm proud of what.
Speaker 5: We've done, and I hope it inspires more black TV shows you know that represent us and show networks like this is profitable.
Speaker 2: Keep it up. I'm happy for us.
Speaker 1: Are you happy?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, I am happy. You got to make sure one last time.
Speaker 1: Are you happy?
Speaker 5: First of all, I know you have good intentions, so I'm not even always at all anything you've asked me. You've seen a lot, you know a lot, and I appreciate you, know, you speaking up and saying these things, So I'm not mad at them, but I am.
Speaker 2: I'm very happy.
Speaker 5: I am impersonal in business, It'll all be what it needs to be. That's what I've learned. I was doing all that stressing for years trying to figure out how it was going to happen.
Speaker 2: Waste of time. It happened in a way I could have never even planned. So I have learned. And I told God, I was like, I'm never gonna do you like that again. I'm so sorry because I was like, yeah, I'll be talking to him like like my friend, I'm like, what what was that? Because you know it?
Speaker 5: And I don't do nothing crazy, so what's going on? But yeah, everything happens the way it needs to. So to me, I'm like, it's above me quite literally.
Speaker 3: That evil man that used to date that was trying to remember the guy you talked about in the video that was financing the videos and then stopped him. Mel, has he ever tried to reach back out to you, like, oh my god, I'm so sorry I was I was wrong, like since you talked to my man.
Speaker 2: Not on my pology stuff, but really he'd be emailing my mama.
Speaker 3: And didn't even apologize. Let me tell you, this man tried to ruin my girl. I don't like ugly because look at you now that taste video is cinema.
Speaker 2: And he's mad. My buddy emailed that video.
Speaker 3: So he was helping her and that time when she was building everything back up and he was financing the videos, and then he got upset because men are just men and there wasn't gonna help her no more and try to ruin her because of that.
Speaker 2: It was basically it was like a toxic little relationship where like I do this for you, you do this for me. If you don't do that, then I don't do that. It was like.
Speaker 5: Very much, yeah, very much, but I mean at the time, I was like twenty, I didn't know what was going on at all and in life, you know, so but yeah, I think that was a really important lesson because I was like, I'll never let somebody have that much power over me, and it's just too much power to give the one person.
Speaker 2: But you know, I'm literally like.
Speaker 5: Imagine me going from like literally homeschool doing Disney stuff to like actually living at all.
Speaker 2: Like it was like what I was.
Speaker 5: So I'm so grateful. I'm so grateful that nobody was watching me because I was I was out.
Speaker 4: But it takes things like that for you to get to places like this though, because I was about to ask you, like, do you regret that? But it's like you can't because that was a step in the journey, you know, for you to get where you're at now, or you get where you are now.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean, is your mother emailing back because please love yourself? Yes, but no, I'm not bad at all.
Speaker 5: Actually that led to me meeting my therapist, who I love, I love, I love I love something like everything everything.
Speaker 1: Works out love that having a great therapist is important, Yes, Coco Jones, why not? More is available everywhere you get your music. Now do you want people to buy it? Screaming I don't even know how to.
Speaker 2: I want people to buy you. I'm sorry, but if you go to you need to buy that because look the album equivalent. You know what you know, Just buy it. I love a stream. Go ahead and stream if you're going to stream. But if you want to do anything by.
Speaker 4: You, much continued success, Coco, Thank you, I appreciate you can get the tickets for that tour on May six, Thank you?
Speaker 2: Period.
Speaker 1: What do you get to the website?
Speaker 2: You can go on the real Coco Jones dot com and get my ticket.
Speaker 1: All right, this Coco Jones, The Breakfast Club. Wake that ass up here in the morning. The Breakfast Club