Speaker 1: Welcome in What Driving Nick Right? Episode three point fifty seven. In this episode of What's Right with Nick Right is brought to you by boost Mobile, and our friends of Boostmobile don't screw around. They saw Dexter, my dog the last couple podcasts, hopping up on the couch and obscuring the boost Mobile pillow. And now we have this fancy thing that looks like a light, Demonse that's actually an electrified fence. Dexter hops up there. He's zapped. Yeah for real. Like they're like, no, we made good money to be the title sponsor of What's Right with Nick Wright. We're not gonna have some silly Portuguese water dog obscuring our advertisement that may or may not be true. But shout out to boost Mobile for the sick light. Demanse, how are you? You look great?
Speaker 2: I'm good. Good to see you, Pops.
Speaker 1: How you doing I'm doing well. Big week coming up for Demanse as the snake should be hatching anytime, and his baby sister flying cross country by herself. Fine to spend a long weekend with her brother. That should be great. And the best part of it is what when she arrives, I will be rolling dice in Monaco, and so I'll be unavailable, so you're on your own pal, but it'll be great. So all that's going on, and I'm fired up today. I'm fired up today because how do I say this respectfully? People are either dumb or lying, or just think that we don't have access to their previous takes and or just you know what I mean, maybe maybe the most the biggest indictment, I could say, just trolling for views or clicks or content. I don't know what it is, but I do know that I'm just letting you guys know. Right now, we have eight topics listed for today's show. Topics two through eight are going might be bite sized because topic one could take a while. But before we get to that, straight to voicemail again. Brought to you by our friends at boost Mobile Cam little seventy yard field goal. Two takes on this demands A one that is now the record. I don't care. There's the preseason. That's the record that should be in the record books. And two I just up to the Jags to eleven wins. I had him at ten, I now got him at eleven. If you get to midfield and you're in field, goal range. I mean, what do you what a weapon? I listen, your guy, Chet, I say this with respect. It's just he's got it. He's got to grow up, like go ahead.
Speaker 2: It was a little outlandish. But why is every guy that's doing something like bad or not great? Why is it always my guy?
Speaker 1: I feel like you, I feel it's what I feel like. Well, here's the thing, do you or do you not? Feel like? I have been too skeptical of Chet because I don't like how skinny is. Were you or were you not more pro Chet than me? So on this show between the two of us, he's your guy. He's certainly my guy.
Speaker 2: Anti Chet, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well I'm not anti Chet either, but I'm getting there. And also the Wilds was a big check guy. And then and then Wild's read an interview with Chet where they asked him about his favorite books and his answer was just all coffee table books with a bunch of pictures. He was like, it was like, I've got this book on Rolexes, which is just the pictures of Rolexes. And Wilds came to the conclusion that Chet maybe has never read a book, and so he soured on him a bit. And now he's dressed like a seventies pimp and his buddy's wedding not great and Ceedee lamb, this is like funny because he's fine. Ceedee. Liam could have got legit hurt there. Yeah, like that little that whiplash thing back when all the way up. Yeah, that was a scary. That was a scary moment.
Speaker 2: All right, I'm about that ref man, wait room.
Speaker 1: I know the reps running full speed, probably running full Steed runs into him. Yeah, and CD, you know, is limber enough. So I thought the ref was fine. I was worried about CD. Reminder to everyone, please like, rate, subscribe, review, In fact, do it right now. If you're watching on YouTube, click the like button. If you're listening to the podcast and you're not subscribed, subscribe. And if you are subscribed, it takes two seconds. Click a little five stars. You don't have to leave a word review, just give it five stars. That's all YouTube, iTunes, Spotify, all that, all right, demanse It says, the first topic is asenine quarterback rankings. Go ahead. Yeah, So a couple of.
Speaker 2: QB polls came out quarterback rankings, whatever you want to call him. So Bill Simmons debuted his quarterback pyramid, and he had Josh Allen at the top. Dan Orlowsky came out with a bunch of traits that quarterback should have about six, that Patrick mahomes number one, and about the same amount of categories as Daniel Jones.
Speaker 1: So which one? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Zero?
Speaker 2: So which one of these is enraging you more? Which one do you want to ask?
Speaker 1: Oh, it's definitely Simmons's and we're gonna deep dive on it because it is not lost on me that my pal and I like Bill. Bill and I have a good relationship. But it is not lost to me that Bill Simmons kind of kicks off his full NFL coverage with a podcast that debuts a quarterback pyramid and whose main guest is Kevin Wilds. I'm not saying that Bill that this was a direct shot at me, and you know, trying to pull apart first things first, But I'm not saying it wasn't. So I'll get to Bill in a second. But on Orlofsky's thing, listen, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna argue with Dann obviously knows the quarterback position better than me. I what I am gonna say is this arm strength he has Josh Allen one, Patrick two, no problem. I actually agree with that, and I actually think you could be tricky with that one. There might be you might be able to say Herbert could be ahead of Patrick Hell. I don't know if Joe Milton's availed eligible, like he could be like that just the raw arm strength Josh Allen one is totally fine, no beef whatsoever. Then it gets dumb ball placement. Patrick Mahomes five behind Joe Burrow again fine, Jaden, Lamar and Josh. You know, I think that's a good take. I think a lot of people watch Lamar, Josh and Jaden and they're like they can just put it where they want better than Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 2: I was just thinking, like, how much of Burrow's is the fact that he has those Crazyr receivers. They're just gonna.
Speaker 1: Well, No, I think Burrow is like dumb accurate because he has to be because he's not very fast and he doesn't have the strongest arm. So the way he can be as successful as he is is like I think Burrow would maybe win the contest of that net drill that Caleb failed the other day if they did that, but like made it harder and harder and harder. I think Burrow might be my number one pick, but call me crazy in that drill, I wouldn't take Lamar over Patrick. Again, maybe I'm a hater. Next one, we get to mechanics where he lists ten quarterbacks and Patrick's not one of them. And let me tell you again, he has Lamar four. Yeah, I watched Lamar play quarterback, and I'm like, man, if only Patrick had as clean of mechanics as Lamar does, I do like I feel that way. I think it's a good take the other ones. And again again like the if Geno, Dak and Golf have better mechanics than Patrick, then maybe mechanics are overrated. But mechanics didn't. Again, Patrick didn't make the top ten decision making with the football. Patrick came in stifth again I and then this is the this is the one that really I couldn't. I couldn't get over pocket presence. Burrow won, Lamar two, Patrick three. Okay, like whatever, I'm not gonna I don't even I don't even know what we're doing here. But fine, that's Orlowsky's list. He has a more fine tuned I for quarterback than me, I suppose I think it is. I disagree with some of those, but that's not my real beef. My real beef is with Bill, because Bill debuts his quarterback pyramid and has Josh Allen at the top. And the problem with that is, and here's the problem with having as long and as successful a career as Bill Simmons has had, and a career that so many folks, myself included obviously literally grew up reading every single one of your sports takes because Bill's column was must read for every sports fan of my generation for more than a decade. The problem with having that level of influence and being having that long of a career is earmuffs, kids, We remember what you fucking wrote. And for fifteen years, Bill fought tooth and nail against the idea that anyone would ever, under any circumstances consider Peyton Manning better than Tom Brady, even though for the entirety of those fifteen years, Peyton had a strong, a far stronger case to be considered better than Peyton Manning. I'm sorry that. Let me back that up. Peyton had a far stronger case to be considered better than Brady. Then Josh would have right now to be considered better than Patrick. And this is where all of these quarterback rankings are going to be self defeating. But let me just quickly, off the top of my damn head, give you the Peyton versus Tom first decade history win again a reminder, my pal Bill built part of his massive empire on the take that Tom Brady is better than Peyton Manning. If we go two thousand to two thousand and five, Peyton has peeled MVPs, but Peyton is zero to two in the playoffs against Tom. Tom has three championships, Peyton has none. Peyton has never been to a Super Bowl. So even though Peyton Manning statistically speaking, was the far superior quarterback with MVPs, he had never beaten Tom in a big spot the championships three to nothing. Then in two thousand and six, Peyton not only wins another I'm sorry, he's already won two MVPs at that point, plays Tom in the AFC Championship game. Tom's up I think twenty one to three at halftime. Peyton comes all the way back and wins the super Bowl, wins it beats Tom. The playoffs are now two to one, Peyton wins the Super Bowl, and Bill, I think justifiably, is still even though in that moment all pros Peyton has multiple tom As zero, MVPs Peyton has multiple tom As zero, the playoff win loss record is two to one, the rings are three to one. Bill is still strident, steadfast correct. Tom's better, seemingly vindicated by the fact that the next year Tom finally wins his first MVP, team goes undefeated. They look like one of the greatest teams ever until as double digit favorites they get beaten the Super Bowl. In that moment, even though the rings were three to one, the MVPs were two to one, the all pros were two to one or three to one, I'm not sure, and the playoff win loss record was tow to one in Tom's direction in that moment, if anyone had debuted the take, Peyton has passed Tom because Tom didn't win the Super Bowl last year, Bill's head would have exploded. And then, by the way, over the next decade, Tom never beat Peyton in the playoffs again. There was a brief time in Denver where it looked like maybe Peyton had kind of overtaken the argument and then Tom went on that unbelievable twenty fourteen through twenty twenty run, Desmond himself as the goat. But every single football take we have heard for twenty years from Bill Simmons has valued playoff performance, doing it in the biggest spots. And if you've got the belt, someone's got to come take it from you. So when I saw the clip yesterday, where the rationale for elevating Josh Allen, who is again unlike Peyton Brady, where Peyton had the stats and Brady had the wins, Maholmes has moral pros, more MVP, better career numbers, five trips to the Super Bowl to zero, three rings to zero, and is four and zero in the playoffs against him. When I hear the argument that Mahomes played so poorly in the Super Bowl, he falls down a peg without the obvious follow up being why wasn't Josh in the Super Bowl? Bill? Because he couldn't beat Patrick again, and that is where and again, I think Josh is the second best quarterback in the league. Now that Josh has a league MVP, I'm comfortable calling him a future Hall of Famer. I think Josh eventually is going to break through. I think Josh's ability last year to cut down on the turnovers and still carry a team that wasn't all that talented at the skill position, certainly on the outside, was wildly impressive. But we have to stop acting like these have been unfair fights or Josh hasn't had his chance in back to back years in the playoffs. Once in Josh's building, once in Patrick's building, Josh has gotten the ball late fourth quarter, down three points the first time. He can only get them to not the edge of field goal range, but not a gimme field goal forty four yard or if I remember, and that would have only gotten them the tie with a couple minutes left, has a chance finished the game, ball in your hands. Don't let Patrick come back and get it. They come away with zero points. Then last year, down three Conference championship game, plenty of time, can't get to midfield, So do not do you cannot. And this is why the quarterback ranking stuff right now can be so frustrating for people. Has Patrick played in the regular season his best ball the last couple of years? No, but who are again? And I've said it before, I will say it again. If you want to argue you know what, Jalen hurts is the best quarterback in the league. I don't think anyone actually believes that, except for maybe Jalen's lovely mother, who dressed me down a bit the night before the Super Bowl. I don't even think Jalen believes that. But if you want to argue that, at least there is a case you can make. But for the other three guys, as I said a moment ago, the argument becomes instantly self defeating. Burrows' claim to fame is what he did in the first two the first postseason and a half of his career, going into Arrowhead, beating Patrick, getting to the Super Bowl, then getting back to the AFC Championship Game, and then he had a pretty miserable second half with a chance to go to a second straight Super Bowl, got the ball, tie game, go get a field goal, got negative yards, loses, and has not been back to the postseason since. There is no time in the history of Pro football when there have been multiple first ballot Hall of famers active in their prime where we would say a guy elevated himself to best quarterback in the league in a two year stretch where he plays zero playoff games, not eligible Lamar, who's in the midst of arguably as good of a two year regular season stretch as any player at his position ever when that player to varying degrees, and this past year was the most positive sign has come up against the other two guys who he is in the debate with for who's the best, and both games gotten outplayed by and lost to in the postseason Patrick two years ago and Josh last year. He's not gonna have it. And across all of sports except for maybe there were some people arguing Jerry West was better than Bill Russell. But with respect, as great as the Mahomes Reed Chiefs are, they are not the institutionally top to bottom more talented team like the Russell Celtics. We have never made an argument that win every single year for a half decade, one guy beats and out plays another guy in the postseason that the other guy's better. It's a again for the entirety of Peyton versus Brady. When Peyton was a cult that whole decade plus, they only played in the postseason three times and it was two to one Tom, and it was still framed correctly as if Tom held over him in the postseason. Imagine if they played four times and it was four to zero. And so again, this is what I would ask my pal Bill. If Tom had beaten Peyton in six and then gone on to lose that Super Bowl and he was up three to zero in the playoffs and the ring count was three zero and the super Bowl count was four zero, and someone made the argument that Peyton Manning was better based on Tom playing poorly in this make believe two thousand and six super Bowl, what would your reaction have been? And the answer is, we know, so can we please please have a level of consistency on this, that's all. Honestly, that didn't go quite as long as I thought. And again I'm not trying to act like I invented the pyramid style ranking of quarterbacks. What I will say is, if you're gonna really do it, each level has to be one player bigger than the previous. You can't go one, two, three, four, five, five, five fi five. That's not the idea that that's not how a pyramid looks either at the and I mean it's just not. I mean, I don't e that's a crayon. That's how a crayon looks, not how a pyramid looks. That's first of all. Second of all, my buddy Kate w could have given you pointers on that when he was on the pod with you. UFC three nineteens blawing back to the Windy City for the first time in six years. Check out the fight card and get in on all the action at Draftings Sportsbook, the official sports betting partner of UFC. Dracus du plus plus he pardon me, I've been trying to pronounce that all morning and I screwed it up again. Dracus Dupless. He puts his middleweight title up against kam Zat Shamaiev, who's a perfect fourt And oh, who are you taking? First time betting on UFC? At DraftKings, just pick something simple like a fighter to win and make your pick. It's truly that easy. And if you're new to DraftKings check this out. New customers, we've got five bucks will get two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly. Don't miss out on all the UFC three to nineteen action. Download the DraftKings Sportsbook app now and use code right. That's code right for new customers to get two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly when you bet just five bucks only on DraftKings. The crown is yours.
Speaker 3: Gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler in New York called eight seven seven eight open wire text ope and wy at four six seven three six nine In Connecticut, help is available for a problem gambling called eight eight eight seven eight nine seven seven seven seven or visit CCPG dot org. Please play responsibly on behalf of boothill ca A cinewin Resorting, Kansas twenty one on over agent. Eligibility varies by jurisdiction, Void and Ontario. Bet must win to receive reward minimum minus five hundred odds required. Bonus bets expire one hundred and sixty eight hours after each four. Additional terms and responsible gaming resources see DKANNG, dot co, slash audio.
Speaker 2: Mike Sandos released his annual quarterback poll. This is voted on by execs and gms and coaches, so this is the real deal. Year of the survey, Heyserdrive, Mahomes and Burrow tied at number one, with Alan Lamar and Stafford Brownie at tier one. How did some voters not have Alan and Lamar as Tier one?
Speaker 1: Well, guys, so that so here is what's crazier about that demonse and this, I don't know if you remember. Last year in this poll coming off the league, MVP Lamar was Tier two. Yeah, dude, it is. This is the first time in Lamar's career he's been Tier one. Last year, Lamar got twenty three Tier one votes, twenty six Tier two votes, and one Tier three vote. At Tier three votes, it's an outge. That's just an outrage. This year he got forty six Tier one votes and four Tier two votes. Josh got forty seven Tier one votes and three Tier two votes.
Speaker 2: Two.
Speaker 1: I'm not listen, I am not going to Oh, it's it's as close to the unanimous as you can be without being unanimous. There's clearly Listen, what you saw is some of these executives, and you saw it kind of throughout the voting on this Really, when they are judging quarterbacks, they are almost entirely just removing improvisation and running and that's that they are purely asking themselves, and they even describe it. A Tier one quarterback can carry his team each week. All right, So Josh and Lamar obviously are in that category. The team wins because of him, Josh and Lamar a in that category. He expertly handles pure passing situations. So I think that is where people found a way to discount Josh and Lamar, who are obviously Tier one quarterbacks. I my response to them would be those guys, first of all, they're excellent passers as is now. I'm not Jim Harbaugh saying Lamar is the greatest pure passer to ever play. I think that's probably a step too far. But they are such dynamic runners that even in pure passing situations they can make the play with their legs. So, like, I just think those are bad opinions, you know what I mean? Like say it again, games changing, Yeah, games changing, and their ability to they they can just beat you in a bunch of different ways. Like it is you. You can't if you wanted to argue, as I have in the past, there is only one there's a there's a tier above Tier one, and that's the tier Mahomes lives in. Fine, but if we're saying there's just Tier one and those four guys, well, you know what, let me back it up, Patrick, Josh and Lamar have to be in it. I think Burrow definitively deserves to be in it. But if someone wanted to construct a case which is kind of the reverse of what we're talking about on Burrow, which is, yeah, he handles pure passing situations, but unlike the other three guys, right, he can't beat you.
Speaker 2: Well, he kind of carries his divise.
Speaker 1: I mean, he carries he carries his team while he's on the field, like I don't. I don't is tough, but that that's not on him. But he can't. All the other guys can beat you with their arm and their legs. Burrow can only beat you with his arm, but he's so good with his arm, Like listen, he's clearly Tier one. And then it gets a little tricky, which is and so like listen, I just think those three or four voters they didn't have Alan and Lamar's tier one, Like, it wouldn't surprise me at all if some of them had, Like how many Tier one votes did Herbert get? Let me look real quick. Herbert got thirteen Tier one votes. So I bet those three or four voters that didn't vote Josh and Lamar did vote Herbert. And that's just stupid. I mean, that's just flatly dumb. All right, Hurts, keep going on.
Speaker 2: That guy. He was square in the middle and the Tier two with twelve voters given him a Tier three vote. So as the Hurts debate put to rest.
Speaker 1: Well, so Hurts got three Tier one, thirty five, Tier two, and twelve Tier three and he so in Let's just give it some context here.
Speaker 2: Right after we said, we said Lamar got three after he won MVP.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, after the Super Bowl year that they lost when he came in second MVP voting. Okay, so that was when he came in second MVP voting to Mahomes. That year, he got ten Tier one, thirty eight Tier two, and two Tier three. Last year, after the Supernatural Funk year and the collapse at the end of the year, he got one Tier one, thirty three Tier two, and sixteen Tier three. This year he got two more Tier ones up to three, two more Tier twos, up to thirty five, and down to twelve Tier threes, down from sixteen. I think having Jalen Hurts listed as a Tier three quarterback is stupid. I want to make that clear. I think that now the description of Tier two. If you care, a Tier two quarterback can carry his team sometimes, but not as consistently. He can handle pure passing situations in doses, and or possesses other dimensions that are special enough to elevate him above tier three. He has a whole or two in his game. I think that's a perfect description of Jalen Hurts. I think the actual description of can carry his team, but not as consistently, can handle pure passing situations in doses, and possesses other dimensions that are special enough to elevate him above tier three, has a whole or two in his game. That to me, is a perfect description. The hole is he has never proven he can be a high volume passer that leads to team and individual success. But everything else he does at a super high level. And whatever demeriage you give him on pure passing situations, the absolute cheat code of the tush push that you know is unique to him. It would appear when I say, cheak got that in a complimentary way.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying, like that would be a cat like that would that would elevate him.
Speaker 1: That's elevates him.
Speaker 2: Okay, what I'm saying, I was curious if.
Speaker 1: You no, if you're gonna knock him for there's a point Wilde's made yesterday, and he's right. If we're gonna knock him for in third and nine, would you rather have Matt Stafford then we have to give him more for the fact that it's fourth and one. You'd rather have him than any player in the league, right, Yeah?
Speaker 2: But is that is that him or is that the team combo?
Speaker 1: I mean, I do think the fact that he is so strong and so tough and has mastered it, you know what I mean, Like I saw Tanner McKee try to do it in the preseason. It was ugly. We've seen other teams, you know what I mean. So I think it's you know, I think it's not all him, but it's part of him, part of the team. But with all that said, I the guys above him, I can like Matt Stafford's number five on this list. I love Stafford. Now. Is if Stafford's number five with an asterisk because we're saying if he you know, if he's healthy, that's totally fair. And if you want to say you're gonna knock him because you know, Jalen gets hurt and just you know, plays through, it's Stafford. Now, Stafford's played through a bunch of stuff. But we are worried at this point with his age of him missing time, so be it. But I would rather have a healthy Matt Stafford than a healthy Jalen Hurts. So I think Stafford being ahead of him is fine. Jaden is tricky because Jaden the sample size is just such good another year, right, so you know what I mean, Like Jaden is it was the greatest rookie season ever, but the sample size is so small, and it feels like Jalen is a safer bet. But Jaden has you know, Jayden has a better chance of one day being number one on this list than Jalen. Right, Herbert we've talked about. I think having Herbert above Hurtz is an outrage. I think it's I think that is just purely based on an idea I would not have. And then barely ahead of him is Jared Goff. I would rather have Jalen Hurts than Jared Goff because I think they are very similar in that under the right circumstances can be very dynamic and a huge part of winning. But I think Jalen could thrive in more circumstances than Golf. So I think Jalen's toughness and running would translate better to a bad team than Jared. So I think Jared on a bad team plummet wild exactly and so and so I understand the So if I were doing it, if it were mine, and I know, I know that this is one where I've probably kind of over the last six months flip flopped a bit because at one point I said that you can't like it's Mahomes Alan Lamar, and then if you're gonna say it's a big four with Burrow, it's got to be a big five with Jalen. But even when I was saying that, deep down, I was like, but I think Stafford's better. So if I were to just do the nick right rankings, pure just me who I would like for this season, assuming health, Patrick, Josh Lamar, Joe Stafford. I want to make sure I'm not leaving anybody out, and then I would put in Jailing. I would put in jail In at six, Jalen six, Jaden seven, Baker eight, and then it gets and then it gets and then after that we could have a debate about Herbert versus golf. But that's where I would you know what I mean, That's where I would have it, and then after them, we have a debate about CJ versus Love versus Dak and then obviously I'm gonna start elevating my guys Caleb and Trevor, but they gotta prove the and so that's where that's where I would rank them, and I I think that is so I didn't think any of these were crazy out of line. The all right, let's go to Rogers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was about to say, do you want to talk about Rogers going from tier one to tier three?
Speaker 1: So I was shot that Rogers was tier one. Oh so he so this has been wait what okay, So this is what's interesting. So here is Rogers over the years. So Rogers going into his final in Green Bay unanimous Tier one, obvious. I think he was the back to back defending League MVP, unanimous Tier one. Rogers going into his first year with the Jets thirty Tier one, twenty tier two. That again, to me was fair. I would have put in tier two because I thought his last year in Green Bay, you saw the writing on the wall, and you saw it in evidence by his stats. You know, the team's success, a lot of that stuff, but he was still just a year removed from being a two time MVP going into last year with the Jets. This was a very interesting looking back on it. Voting going Demonse going into last year again where he was coming off the blown Achilles, he got twenty three Tier one votes.
Speaker 2: It's like, all, poor guy toar his Achilles and he's gonna be fine.
Speaker 1: Right, He's gonna come back with a vengines, eighteen Tier two votes, seven Tier three votes, and two Tier four votes. I'd have to ask Sando, and I could probably go back and read the article. I'm not gonna do it right now live on the air. Was he the first player ever to get multiple votes in four different tiers? To get you know, multiple Tier one and Tier four votes? So last year going into last year, I so he ended up averaging out. That was interesting. Last year he got more votes for Tier one than any other tier, but he averaged out to a Tier two player quarterback. And this year so weird.
Speaker 2: Now the guy that gave him a tier he got one Tier one vote this year too, by the way.
Speaker 1: Oh I clicked the wrong thing. Okay, not so weird. So this year he got one Tier one vote. That guy's out of his mind. Yeah, I mean that's just idiotic. He got sixteen Tier two votes. I can't call that idiotic, but I disagree. Twenty seven Tier three votes, just where I would have him, and then four Tier six or sorry, six Tier four votes, which is folks that think that he's just finished, right, but where he is as far as in the hierarchy. So Tier three quarterbacks are in order, Kyler, Aaron Tua, Trevor, Gino Nicks, Darnald May, Caleb, Bryce Kirk. Those are the Tier three for me personally, the quarterbacks I would rather have than Aaron, every single one of the guys Tier one and two, so that's fourteen, and then I would rather have this year Gino, Drake, Caleb, Trevor Tua, and that's probably it, not Bo Nicks, not Kyler, and not Darnald or Bryce or Kirk. So I would have him closer to the middle of Tier three. Go ahead.
Speaker 2: Apparently Rogers was actually number two and Tier two number seven overall. Yeah last year, Oh okay, okay, that's.
Speaker 1: Yeah last year, so he he that's what I was saying. Last year. He last year, he got more votes, he got more Tier one votes than any other tier but because he also got like a four votes. He he got you know, ding down and dropped to tier two. But yeah, so I would have him close to twenty. They have him fifteen. The Kyler one's interesting because I think having Kyler at the almost a tier two guy and ahead of all those other guys, the young players that you know you expect to pop, ahead of Gino, ahead of Rogers, I think it is interesting. I mean, I just wouldn't. I just don't.
Speaker 2: He's like low tier three.
Speaker 1: Yeah to me is but maybe I'm low on him, but I I just you give him credit because last year he was able for the first time in four years to play all seventeen. But I just feel like at this point we kind of know what we're getting from Kyler, and he's a player that.
Speaker 2: Once you don't like him he's too small.
Speaker 1: Well, there is that, but it's also true that once you start seeing Thanksgiving decorations up at the stores, you know he's not going to be playing well. I mean, it's just who he's been for his career. He's good for about the first half of the season, and that to me is like, I don't know why that would change, like the and so I think that I'm not as high on Kyler. I respect the talent, but I care You're right about this demonte. I care about raw talent way less with very small players. I just do.
Speaker 2: I mean that was like the best high school football player, like ever a football quarterback.
Speaker 1: Yea, the best? Yeah, I mean, no, he's the best. And he was a hell of a college player as well, and he's had moments in the pros. And maybe it was as simple as high school and college seasons or twelve games long. You know what, mark this down. If we ever have another strike shortened NFL year, I might bet on Kyler. They come back and they're like, oh, it's only a ten game season plus the playoffs this year. I might be a Kyler guy that year since but that is, but for the time being, I would have him low tier three.
Speaker 2: Do you want to get to that last one or I want to just the Oh yeah, what are some quarterbacks you see in going up a tier this year? And who are some quarterbacks you see going down a tier?
Speaker 1: All right, so let me look at the full list again.
Speaker 4: I've opened this thing up so many times that now I've got I've got two tabs. I do this sometimes, all right, So let me the so let me maximize this so.
Speaker 1: I can look at this better. I think that going up a tier so gosh, this is a tough one. I think that Caleb will be Tier two going into next year. I think that Right will be off the list because I think he'll be done. I think that Perty will probably be Tier three. He's hanging on for deer life in Tier two right now. And I don't think the Niners are going to be excellent this year. And I think that who do I think could jump into Tier one? You know what I'm gonna I might go all in on this team this year. Bake Show.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, I think the I think the the Bucks could have a monster offensive season and that I think potentially could elevate Baker and especially if if Stafford is dinged.
Speaker 1: You know, if Stafford. I think Stafford was very weird for Stafford who had been Tier two demons for eleven straight years and then this is the year he gets elevated when he wasn't great last year's regular season. It was awesome in their two platforms, but wasn't great in last year regularly.
Speaker 2: Jordan Love I love to tier I mean, but two to one to two.
Speaker 1: To one's hard, you know what I mean, Like, that's the I am curious, Like, let me ask you this and the answer might be none of the above, But no, I'm not gonna allow that. You have to say a name of the four guys who were all either unanimous or close to it Tier one, Patrick, Joe, Josh Lamar. Who do you think is that most risk, most risk to move down?
Speaker 2: I think it'd be Joe Burrow, just because if they don't make the postseason again this year, then so what are you, like, what are we gonna say at this point? I mean, maybe it's the defense again that.
Speaker 1: I agree, but I think it's for a different reason. I think the only thing that could move Joe down is if he gets hurt again. And I think given their offensive line and given his history, I think he's the most obviously, of the big four, he's the most likely to miss. Yeah, yeah, you know, and so I that would be my answer. All right, let's talk shudor Tador.
Speaker 2: He looked pretty good. I mean, he look fantastic, but he looked pretty good for a quarterback. Went there and did his thing. Head coach Steven Kevin Stefanski still hasn't committed to Shador, So, uh, do you think that he showed everything he needed to do to get the starting job?
Speaker 1: What do you well? He's definitely not going to be their Week one starter. That is gonna be Joe Flacco. I don't even think. By the way, if I were Shador, I know he can't say this, I wouldn't even want to be the Week one starter. Like I the the Browns open with the Ravens and then they play I'm sorry, the Brown's open with the Bengals, so I wouldn't actually hate that because of the Bengals defense, But then they go Ravens, Packers, Lions, Viking Steelers, Like those are not defenses. I'm interested in playing it right off, exactly right. And I understand that the Browns just released their latest depth chart and Shador is still number four. They did not move him up at all. I don't believe it. I think that Shadoor has now, if we are being fair, he has taken it is now Dylan Gabriel who is chasing Shador in the quarterback competition instead of vice versa. Like the the you know the old adage you don't lose your job due to end is total bs happens in sports all the time. People lose their job because of injury and because the guy who fills in for you shows something he didn't have the opportunity to show before, and so FLA. If Flacco is just entrenched at one, which I think he is, Kenny Pickett was two and is two on the late step chart. He's been hurt the last couple weeks of camp. Doesn't look like he's gonna play at all, and there he didn't play in their first preseason game. Doesn't look like he's going to playing their second. Dylan Gabriel is three. Gabriel, according to all reports on the ground, has been bad in practice and was injured for the first preseason game. Shadores four. He's practiced well and I thought made four very high level throws in that game and really only made a couple bad mistakes.
Speaker 5: And.
Speaker 1: So I think that is enough to where he should have taken the lead on Gabriel, and the goal for either of these rookies flatly needed to be beat out the other rookie. So when at when Flacco inevitably gets benched, I'm the guy they go to. Now, maybe they'll go to pick it, but I think that would be asinine, and so now I also think this Demanse. I think Gabriel will and should start preseason game number two, and then you know he can if he plays well.
Speaker 2: And just get both of them half.
Speaker 1: I think that's what we'll do. I could even see him go, Demanse, quarter quarter, quarter quarter, you know what they're thereabouts, like, I could see Gabriel playing then should, or then Gabriel back in then should or that way, you know what I mean, You get more time with starting caliber players, or you know, guys that are actually gonna make the team, or they each get it. But I now think Gabriel, I think Shador is now amongst the rookies in pole position. And I also think that, and this is why so I thought after the game him saying something to Tony Grosey was totally fine. And I think people don't recognize how common that is that guys sang after games in locker rooms are in the tunnel to reporters like, hey, what was up with that? That has happened forever? That used to happen to me. I remember Matt Cassel saying to a different media member, we're both standing there when he realized that media member. You know what, I think it was to Mark Carmon, our friend whose birthday was actually yesterday. I think it was to karm that he said to him, this is your buddy about me. He's like, yeah, He's like, he sure talks a lot of shit, doesn't He like did not like some of the things I had said about him. That's super common. So I have no problem at all with Shador having that moment with Tony Grossi.
Speaker 2: At this time, though, what you need to be worried about.
Speaker 1: So here is the thing on that. I think the smile and the laugh at the end made it okay. And I think that like charisma and charm and a great smile can really carry Yeah, and so like that to me was fine. I thought the walk in was a misstep. I didn't think it was a grievous error, but I thought, I'm not asking you to be someone you're not. But turned down the volume on literally on the boombox, I guess and also figuratively. Now I understand those were his teammates, not his entourage, but still, you're the quarterback, the guy carrying the giant walking stick staff in the boombox. I might have been like, can we not do that? And if you really want to walk in like that, maybe I'll go in, you know, a little bit after you, because it's he is. If the Browns won't elevate him on their real depth chart, then he also wants another team to trade for, you know, And so I just don't think that helps. But I don't think it's a huge deal. You'd certainly rather him play well and have an awkward pre and postgame, then be perfect pre and post game and play port right, go ahead?
Speaker 2: No, I mean with that take, you were saying that maybe he should show out for the Rams or maybe the Rams look at him, because words like a mortal chamber are being thrown around. Ye very serious. Yeah, I don't know. So, uh do you think that's more of a possibility now, like it's more serious.
Speaker 1: I think that right now he's probably worth He was drafted with a fifth. I think he's worth at least a fourth, you know what I mean? And so, but I don't I think the Browns want to keep him. I think Stefanski might be coming around if he wasn't already there. And I think you had to be impressed by how he handled himself. And how he played Uh this Sunday? Was it Sunday? Saturday? Friday?
Speaker 2: It was Friday Friday.
Speaker 1: All right, hey guys, talking about my friends at boost Mobile. Ever signed up for a phone plan, thinking wow, great price, and then a few months later it's like surprise, bill even higher. Boost Mobile. You paid twenty five dollars a month forever. That's unlimited talk, text and data starting at just twenty five dollars a month, No price hikes, no contract forever. Plus. Boost Mobile is now a legit nationwide five G network. They've invested billions building five G towers across the country. Visit boostmobile dot com or head to your local boost store today and get unlimited talk, text, and data for twenty five dollars a month forever. Five G speeds not available in all areas. After thirty gigabytes, customers may experience slower speeds. Customers will pay twenty five dollars a month as long as they remain active on the boost Unlimited plan. All right, demon's eight, Let's go to Caleb. We talked enough Chiefs earlier, so we can move on to Caleb if we can.
Speaker 2: Caleb Williams did not play it down in the preseason game, and Ben Johnson is not worried about that at all. He said and quote, there is no substitute for real live bullets. I get that. But at the same time, when you can accumulate seventy plus reps in a day, that's pretty good. If live action is the best option here, then why why.
Speaker 1: Not plays guys? So listen, I I think, and I've said this on TV a dozen times, so I will, you know, repeat myself here. I think in certain sometimes you hear like, you know, to copycat league, certain things should be copied. The way Andy Reid handles training camp and preseason should be copied. The Chiefs every year are sharper to start the year than most of the rest of the league. Andy runs a tough training camp, they hit, they have long practices, and Patrick plays in the preseason and the starters play and they're ready to go. So I would copy that, all right a lot. You know, Sean McVay, who I you know, I think is the second best coach in football, does the exact op and has for years, puts guys on ice and you know that's that. So there's obviously not a perfect way to do it. I would copy andies. With that said, everyone is making this a Caleb story. Ben Johnson did not play. They have four they left tackles not determined yet for the Bears starting left tackle, so they played everybody who's competing for that. There are other offensive line spots left guard, center, right guard, right tackle. We know who the starters are. Those guys played zero snaps. They're starting running back played zero snaps. They're starting tight end played zero snaps, and their three top receivers played zero snaps. If you are deciding institutionally the starters aren't playing, then you obviously can't throw Kaleb out there. Now, I canna throw Kaleb out there behind your second and third string offensive line and be like, all right, figure it out, buddy, now. Uh Like Drake may played, he played through five passes. I do think when you do it this way, it means preseason game two Caleb should play a fair amount. And do I think that they are hiding Caleb.
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Do I think that Ben wants nothing but positive vibes headed into the season, and after using the training camp to kind of break guys down a bit, he wants a little more time to build them back up before we Before people see them. I do think that. But do I think that there was that this decision was based on how Caleb has played thus far this training camp. I do not, And so I think that he had made his decision on how he's going to play his guys this training this preseason, and he's trying to stick to it. Now we'll see how well that works. But I I you know, Colin had a great take on this, even though I disagreed with it, which is, let me read you the exact caption of it, because I thought it was so funny. Hold on, and then there's a good shams little sham's note that I'm going to read you guys in a second as well. So here's what Colin said, uh yesterday about Caleb. Uh gosh, don it sorry here. Oh, when tech companies delay the release, it's usually because you're still in the beta stage. Colin's way of saying he's not ready for the bright lights, I think that is probably too harsh, and I think that, But I do think that the first month of the season could be a little rocky. I do like the regular season. I don't think he's gonna come off, you know, flying out of the gate. Maybe he will, but I think that I believe in Caleb's talent, and I think Ben Johnson's very sharp offensive mind, and I think the Bears patched their holes on the offensive line. So I think they'll be fine, but I uh.
Speaker 2: Not doing their best to make it the most fine he could possibly be.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know about the season. I mean again, he obviously wants them to be as good as possible, as early as possible. Maybe he's wrong, but he thinks that this is the right path. We'll see. So Scham's just tweeted. Wick Grousbeck will no longer stay on as governor of the Celtics as part of the celtics six point one billion dollar sale to Bill Chisholm. Playing had been for Grousbeck to remain through twenty twenty eight. Chisholm assumes governor title and the transfer will be finalized soon. Guys, this is Cuban sells the team and he's like, I'm gonna run it though, and he's out immediately. Grousbeck sells the team and it's like, no, but I'm gonna run it for the next couple of years, and he's out immediately. Jeanie Buss sold the team, and everyone's like, oh, but she's gonna stay in charge for five years, We'll see people tend not again. I am not over under two business psychologist, and I don't run in billionaire circles. But in my limited experience, people don't spend ten eleven figures on something to not be in charge of it. It's just not People don't buy a sixty dollars video game to not play it. They don't buy a six billion dollar basketball team to let someone else make the decisions. And so I was skeptical when I saw Cubans say it years ago. I was even more skeptical when I saw what Grusbecs say it. And I am extra skeptical about Genie Buss running the Lakers for five years after all.
Speaker 2: Of this for under two though two years.
Speaker 1: Oh Demonse, wait, look at this throw it on the screen.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Packers quarter Jordan Love is undergoing a procedure on a ligament issue with his left thumb. A left thumb suffered the injury in Green Bay's preseason opener. The team is hoping Love can return to practice next week, and the Packers are expecting to be ready for the regular season opener. Left thumb is not as much of a concern, right, A surgery on the right thumb would be highly concerning. Here's the thing, though, As I've said before, I don't I don't trust insider injury reports. Every every surgery's out of schedule. Every body avoided disaster, Everyone's gonna be ready week one. I just I have a hard time digesting it. Anybody seen Najieris. I saw a picture of Najiras. Looks like he can't open an eye, and so I I just know for real that picture of Najieras was scary looking, looked like he really hurt his eye with the fireworks, and so I just I hope he's fine because last year got a little derailed. Is too strong. Last year got off to uh, he didn't have the year a lot of people thought he was gonna have, and a lot of people thought that was because he suffered that injury early on. All right, Demanta, let's go to the listener questions.
Speaker 2: T asked, where do you think Alan Lamar rank all time right this moment? Just his quarterback talents, I'd say both top fifteen side question, are the smelling salts going to ruin? Your life.
Speaker 1: Smelling salts are not going to ruin my life. But you know, strong recommend if people haven't tried him yet, especially if you're like maybe trying to kick caffeine or something like. I haven't read into the potential downsides of huff and pneumonia occasionally, but it sure woke me up. Where do Lamar and Allen and ranked just as quarterback talents? What an interesting question? Top fifteen sounds right like if I were ranking just quarter just raw talent.
Speaker 2: Quarterbacks.
Speaker 1: Ever, that's what Yeah, that's what they're saying, saying all time. Mahomes Rogers are to me the top two.
Speaker 2: Lamar's got to be like top ten at least any same thing. But I feel like both those guys, those are electric dudes as far as this talent like that, maybe not one.
Speaker 1: Those are, Yeah, so I think safely so raw talent Mahomes Rogers, Farv has to be up there. Manning has to be up there. Uh. It's a compliment to Brady that we're not even like saying him with all of his success, because you know, he maximized everything about his physical ability. Marino's got to be up there. I always have had a soft spot for Steve Young. John Elway's up there, and now we can start talking Lamar and Josh, you know what I mean. Like, so, yeah, the in that bottom part of the top tens firmly in the top fifteen. I think that's right. All right, let's go to Ethan.
Speaker 2: Ethan asked, as a poker expert who understands the principle of the plus ev. I'm curious if you take the same approach into sports gambling, or if you trust your own personal bias over sharp books.
Speaker 1: I don't look at I don't look at sports betting the way I look at poker. Just for the record, like I don't. I don't, while I do try every year to give out winners and and to you know, make you guys money. I I am.
Speaker 2: A little bit more conservative with poker.
Speaker 1: No, I don't know a bit you No, I just look at it like poker. I am trying to make the best decision at every point. Sports I have a very hard time betting against my takes, you know what I mean. I won't always bet on my takes, but like I it's why I'll I'll never even if I'm getting points bet against the chiefs. You know, what I mean, so like, there are just certain things that so that's but I also I and I this is how I would recommend it for other people look at sports betting as a recreational endeavor, not like, hey, this is how I'm gonna make extra money. Poker's different in that regard for me. All Right, let's keep going.
Speaker 2: Michael asked, is Jackson better than Prime Vig?
Speaker 1: Yes? Love Mike, but yes, Lamar is a far already a far better passer than Mike ever was just you know what I mean, He just is. And I love Mike, but that's I think Mike would tell.
Speaker 2: You that next Indy, Nick, do you think that everyone is just so skewed by fantasy football? Josh Lamar have been excellent fantasy quarterbacks, so people assume that they are the best. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that absolutely is something to do with it. I absolutely think that the crazy fantasy numbers impact this.
Speaker 2: M Noah, Yeah, no, no ass When is the Future show going to happen sooner?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So we have a show Thursday, then we're off for a week, and then the our Future in our gambling show. It will probably be a two part thing Tuesday and Thursday. Next week to get us ready for football season, right in line with predictions week on First Things First, and Diego says has snakes enthusiast Kevin Wild's weight in on Demanse's reptiles. That's a good that's a good First Things First joke, and I appreciate it all right. Reminder, everyone like rate, subscribe, review, leave five stars, leave a review if you'd like. I don't really care if you leave a review. I'd love you to give us the five stars though. Subscribe on Spotify or iTunes or both if you'd like, but one's just fine, and definitely subscribe on YouTube. We will be back right here on Thursday. Shout out to DraftKings, Shout out to the great people at boost Mobile sending me the sweet sign. Shout out to a Volume and Blue Duck in Demons, and I will see you guys. I'm on with Colin in about an hour. See you guys. Then we'll trade