Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Our two on this Monday.
Speaker 2: Hope you had a great weekend. How are your brackets? Mine a mess? I had Florida playing in the National Title game against my Arizona Wildcats. Charles Barkley will join us in about twenty minutes from now. Phone calls, especially on a Monday, Best and worst of the weekend? What you saw that you liked you didn't like? Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the Dan Patrick Show. In case you're just joining us. Seattle Seahawks now have the highest paid wide receiver in NFL history, Jackson Smith and Jigba. He's going to make over forty two million dollars a year. He's twenty four, so you got at least three more years of prime and then he's going to be in the market for another deal. And who knows what we're paying wide receivers in three years from now, We're going to get close, and a lot sooner than you think. With the first one hundred million dollar a year basketball player, that's not that far off, And it might be Wemby, it might be Shay Gilgis. It might be Luca, but Anthony Edwards, Like, somebody's going to be making close to one hundred million dollars a year. And wide receivers, it wasn't long ago where you got somebody for twenty million and then all of a sudden it went up to thirty and then a little bit higher than that. And now you come off a Super Bowl win and you can stake the claim you're the best wide receiver in football and you're making forty two million dollars a year. Good for him. Timings, everything all right? Eight seven to seven three DP show email address Dpatdanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show, I recap some of the action from over the weekend, just a couple other things. You know, Ben McCollum has done a really good job. First year he was at Drake, and then he comes over. And what you're finding now is if I hired that coach at that university, chances are he's coming with some players. And that's what he did. He added five players from Drake, multiple other players from lower tier programs filled out the roster and here he is Texas and eleven seed. But not a Cinderella story, you know, the Saint John's turnaround can be attributed to two people, probably obviously Rick Patino, but then there is a billionaire backer. This guy made his money from Vitamin water and body armor, and I think he made about nine point seven billion dollars on that transaction when he sold them to Coca Cola. He's spending some of that money. He's spending some of that money on Saint John's basket ball team. It feels like every university should be able to have a sugar daddy. Remember when UCLA had Sam Gilbert and helped them win national championships. But I would think, can't UCLA find a sugar daddy now a big donor. A lot of these schools you could have multiple ones to pick from, But here's Saint John's. It's like, and you see this guy, he's on the bench when when you know Saint John's wins, it feels like Rick goes to his billionaire backer just to say thank you, thank you. But fun over the weekend and getting to see these great coaches, Hall of Fame coaches going head to head, and you know, when you think about it, you could have somebody young who's just getting started or taking over a major program. But then you get the old guard and still able to do it because they can adapt. And I said this when I started the show. It's it's not a coincidence. These guys, whether it's Patino, cattle Perry, certainly tom Izzo, the ability to adapt to today's landscape NIL boosters collectives kids.
Speaker 3: Am I going to start? Am I going to play? Hey?
Speaker 2: Now, you'll hear teams that they'll make an announcement that somebody is staying, which seems wild, but what happens is these kids or their agent will say to the coach or athletic director, all stay, but I want this. That's that's what goes on at a lot of schools. You can renegotiate and I get it. Let's say you're, you know, your freshman year, sophomore year, and you could transfer or you say, hey, i'll stay, but it's going to cost you this, And that's what happens at mid majors. You got them, hold on to them, and then you know you got to let them go because you won't be able to pay Yes, Martin, and.
Speaker 4: It's so difficult. Even on top of the money. A lot of those kids that are playing lower level division on basketball. Their dream was to play at Duke Carolina at Kansas Kentucky. So if one of those schools comes calling, because maybe they were under recruiter or nobody saw them in high school, they're thinking, besides the money, I get to play in twenty thousand seed arenas and play on TV all the time.
Speaker 2: And I was talking to somebody who coaches at a mid major and he was saying, what do you think my payroll is? You guys want to guess this is this team didn't make the tournament, but and they're not really well known, but you know you've heard of them. What do you think their payroll? Their budget is for an entire season? They're nil? This is basketball.
Speaker 3: Paulie seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars.
Speaker 5: Marvin five hundred thousand dollars, Seaton two million dollars, God one point three million.
Speaker 2: One hundred and fifty thousand dollars. And he was telling me how it's like a jigsaw puzzle. He'll be like, you know, I can get that guy for this, but then I'm gonna have to let this guy go. But then if I let him go, I can probably get this guy for a little less than like it's trying to make all the pieces fit. But it's a finite amount of money. It's not like somebody goes, here's this, go out and get whatever you want. It's you're shopping for groceries. You're just not shopping in the best supermarket.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a lot like doing a fantasy football or like fantasy draft, like, oh man, if I want this guy, but then that one costs too much, then I gotta go over to this guy.
Speaker 3: It's just like doing your fantasy team. Yeah. Yeah, Paulie.
Speaker 7: So a guy like that at that kind of mid major spending one hundred and fifty grand, he's not competing for national titles. He's competing in his own conference to be above five hundred to keep his job for a couple more years.
Speaker 3: Well, yes, but he does.
Speaker 2: He says, Look, you know, we have aspirations to win our conference and get into the tournament. I mean, if we did that, you know, no matter, you know, if we're in the first four, whatever, it is just getting in, like Miami, Ohio. I don't know what that'll do for enrollment. I don't know what that will do for your collective nil high point and a great week you know, you get those opportunities and they don't happen very often, you take advantage of them. Nebraska basketball never won a tournament game. Now here you are. Now that's where you get people's attention. You know, the fans travel. But Nebraska's been good all year long. It's just nobody was going to buy into Nebraska basketball, yes, Marvin.
Speaker 4: It also gets tricky for the coaches in mid major programs because say, if you're a by Nfield at Florida Gulf Coast, O Shaheen Holloway at St. A. Saint Peter's, like, guess what, I made a big run. I'm not going to be here much longer because now I'm hot.
Speaker 2: Yes, and it's good that they did that because we haven't heard from those schools in a while. Like you you have the opportunity, you go. But if you're a player, you do the same thing. If you're at a smaller school and you have a great year, you get recognition, then you go. It's all timing. I mentioned Jack Jackson, Smith and Jigba forty two point one million. That is about two million more than Jamar Chase, seven, more than Justin Jefferson eight, more than CD lamb nine more than DK Metcalf. Garrett Wilson quietly makes thirty two and a half millions. He needs to give up some of that money and get him a quarterback. But thirty two and a half million dollars, well you got you know AYUK was making thirty million, which I went you got to be kidding me.
Speaker 5: Yes, Why does Garrett have to give up money?
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 5: You should be on the scouts. I'm not giving up a don.
Speaker 3: I'm just joking it. God, Sports radio conversation. No, just have relaxed a little bit.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're girly two bays.
Speaker 5: I'm only two days back from suspension.
Speaker 2: You had a day off. Yukon men's and women's teams are rolling. Should be fine. Danny Hurley hadn't said anything crazy yet. Yeah, yes, Paul.
Speaker 7: You were talking about UCLA basketball and needing a sugar daddy. UCLA ranks seventeenth in the country with most billionaires produced by a university. They currently have at least twelve billionaires amongst our lumps. The biggest gift anyone's ever made to UCLA was three weeks ago. A couple gave a one hundred million dollar gift for their health sciences division. Of course, the unimportant stuff, not important stuff like basket helping people live.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, basketball used to be life blood.
Speaker 7: Now we're worried about medicine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, doctor keeping people alive, it's your priority, straight, USA. Let's go.
Speaker 9: All right?
Speaker 3: See Seaton poll question from hour one, and what are we going with an hour two? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Worst of the weekend Florida, Kentucky, Kansas or the lower seeds right now? Florida running away with that one, followed by Kentucky. We also put up there from Paul. Which states dislike each other the most? Michigan, Ohio, Iowa, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Texas or other right now? Michigan, Ohio also running away with that one. And then we have this one here too. Best time zoned to live in Eastern Central from Mountain.
Speaker 3: Or Pacific as a sports fan, Okay, Central right now dominating. Yeah.
Speaker 6: You know who's getting almost as no love in this guess Mountain Mountain, Mountain gets no It's like, whatever, what even is that time?
Speaker 3: I don't even know what it is that time zone? Yeah? Is it two hours?
Speaker 7: Yeah, Paul, Mountain time zone is the best for sports fans. Not too early not too late, get to bet at a good hour.
Speaker 3: According to this is the worst Paul. People don't know my mountain. People know no.
Speaker 2: Mountain dress Will James in Virginia, Hi James, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 10: Thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 8: Brother.
Speaker 10: Happy Monday, DP than salute the commands man big time, all the time, every time. What a great time in sports man, Mark Manson, there has been nothing but buzzer beaters. Lesson right man, that is farm of what happened to Kansas deep fallen like that instead of playing and defense straight Carmer to me, Texas has got to be one of the biggest surprises man, winning three games in a row. They are on the chair. It's gonna be interesting to see what they can do. And someone explained to me, watch Florida's calling time out after scoring a big bucket ile on the heels and they called time out. They come out in the worst defense possible. It makes no sense. And that guy driving the ball at the end, you gotta at least put it up towards the hoop. Man. You can't just go underneath the basket with four seconds on the crock. Go glue all the way, man, I think they're gonna win it. It's gonna be a great speet sixteen, great battles all the way around. You guys, have a great day, gentlemen. They's taking my.
Speaker 3: Sass and we get the balls, all right, thank you, James.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we want Cinderella stories until we get to the Sweet sixteen or the Elite eight. We just got it ahead a schedule this year that we don't have Cinderellas. Now there's no Loyola of Chicago, no George Mason, no Butler.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Marvin, Yeah, you don't want them in Lucas Oil Stadium. You want them in Mike Sweet sixteen, Elite, elite at best. But I don't want you in Lucas Oil Stadium. You can't fill up sixty thousand seeds. You don't want them in there. You want Kansas and Kentucky playing one another. Butler, Well, Butler, yeah, Lucas Orion. That was a home game.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Jerry McNamara leaving Sienna to go to Syracuse. And it'll be interesting this week in Chapel Hill with Hubert Davis's future kind of hanging in the balance.
Speaker 3: Here, Nate in La Hi, Nate.
Speaker 9: Hello, Dan, I have two best of the weekend, first Gonzaga bowing out of the Attorney Suck at Spokane in Washington. Second, with Gonzaga leaving the WCC for the Pac twelve, my Loyola Marrimount University Alliance have a fighting chance to finally make an appearance in Antay Tournament, which they haven't done since Bo Kimball and the late Great Hank Galls nineteen ninety seasons.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Nate, We'll take a break. More phone calls coming out. Charles Barkley joins us next Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Pauley Fools Go Here with Tony Fosco. Yeah.
Speaker 11: As everybody knows, we're the hosts of the award winning Polly and Tony Fosco Show.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 11: But instead of us telling you how great we are, here's how Dan Patrick described us when he came on our show.
Speaker 2: Quick, knowledgeable and funny, opinionated.
Speaker 8: What are you doing? Were interrupting our promo?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you wasn't talking about you. You took those clips totally out of context.
Speaker 11: Oh yeah, well, after this promo, I'm gonna take you out and beat you.
Speaker 3: Let me put this into context.
Speaker 1: Shut up.
Speaker 11: Yeah, anyway, just listen to the Paully and Tony Fusco Show on Iartradio, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Yee oh, my college basketball source just sent me a text remind Marvin that Butler played in the only eleven final four in Houston as well, even advanced to the title game.
Speaker 3: Sold out tickets sold out.
Speaker 2: Marvin pounding on the little guy shooting for a second suspension in a week. What a shame. I can't suspend you for something like that. Okay, I'm not going to. Would you like to apologize to Butler?
Speaker 5: As a matter of fact, I won't. I didn't want to see him forgive me.
Speaker 2: Sorry, No apologies coming from this guy. Charles Barkley Hall of Famer. Eh, haven't seen you, Charles. You've been on TV lately here you're doing commercials.
Speaker 3: Haven't seen much of you.
Speaker 12: Like a real job right now, just like a real Thursday and Friday. Like that's like the only time of my life I had, like a real job. Because you're on from noon to midnight. Once you get to Thursday and Friday. But man, right now my life feels like a real job. But you know, all the heavy lifting is over. Man, It's just here on out.
Speaker 3: But do you like watching college or the NBA? If you had to choose, There's.
Speaker 8: Nothing like Mars Madness.
Speaker 12: I've said this before, especially the Final Four is the greatest thing ever other than the Olympics. I've been honored and blessed to play in the Olympics twice and is on a whole other level against any sporting event because I tell people, like, in the playoffs or anything, you have seven games, you never know which game is going to be iconic. But when you go to the Olympics, man, it's unbelievable. But I'll tell you this, man, the Final Four is the second best thing I've ever been a part of other than the Olympics.
Speaker 2: What frustrates you the most when you're watching these games.
Speaker 12: Well, I can't watch it like a regular fan, Like I'm just like you have to always say, like, what was that guy thinking?
Speaker 8: What was that guy thinking?
Speaker 12: So like, I'm like, and I'm not trying to say that I was the greatest thing, but I know how to play really good basketball. But you see yourself guys doing stuff and like it was so funny. Yesterday Clark Kellogg, who it was an amazing dude. Man, he's an amazing dude and I love working with him in Adam Zucker and Nate Berlinson was great and self Joinna and Renee Montgomery. But Clark says to me, you think they're gonna pressure. I said, no, hell no, they're not gonna put pressure. He said, why would you not pressure? I said, well, you got to lead. But I said, if you put pressure, you're just gonna start a fast break and give up a wide open three.
Speaker 8: More than likely.
Speaker 12: And five ten seconds later, because I was saying, I said, well you got to lead, why would you pressure? Just keep the ball in front of you, make them make a shot. I said, if they press, they just gonna start a fast break. And I'm it was just like I I didn't know they I said, they probably gonna end up getting the three too, because that guy's gonna be coming downhill fast. And like in the NBA, nobody goes with you. They spread out to the three. So uh, it was really cool moments I had exactly like and it worked out. I said, they gonna I said, oh, they better not pressure. They're just gonna be a fast break starter. But I hate watching bad basketball. Uh, that's that's probably my one of my really weaknesses.
Speaker 8: To be honest with you, I hate bad basketball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you on the pressing. Iowa, I didn't understand it. I want everything in front of me. Make them have to work it a little bit. All you gotta do is beat one guy. Yeah, if you beat if you beat the press, it's three on two and all you got to do is sit in the corner.
Speaker 8: And you got to lead.
Speaker 2: Dad.
Speaker 12: I know, I was like because I said, if press is just gonna be a fast breakstarter, and it was just one of the worst defensive calls.
Speaker 8: Uh, it was just a bad play.
Speaker 12: And then he compounded it after the game and said, well we were gonna file. I'm like, that makes it even worse. Are you chasing dudes if you're gonna fout?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 8: I wish I would.
Speaker 12: I wish he had have said, and I think coach Golden is a terrific coach. You know what, because I will actually outplayed them a deserve to win the game. That's what he should have said. He said, you know what, they outplayed us. Because they outplayed them, they deserve.
Speaker 8: To win that game. Yeah, yeah, they I mean they.
Speaker 12: Beat their front line up with a bunch of little dudes. They out worked them, they out hustled. The coach had a great game plan, so listen, that's what he should have said. And saying something like, uh, we like we were gonna file that was a bad look.
Speaker 2: What about Kansas Saint John's with I mean, I like the strategy that Bill self had a foul take time, foul take time, foul take time, but then they kind of forgot what they were doing.
Speaker 3: With that last play.
Speaker 12: Well, first of all, hats off to Kansas for coming back. There's no way they should have even been in that game. That game was over. They played terrible. They got four offensive rebounds in a row and put back. They the reason they were in the game. If if if Saint John's getting one of those rebounds, the game is over. I didn't I didn't mind the strategy. I just thought they should have saved one file. But that was just that was a straight line drive. You can't give up a straight line drive. I know people talking about come help. If you come help, you're gonna give up a three. But there's no way you should get beat on the state. The guy didn't have to veer at all. He just got the ball and drove right down the lane and shot the layup. So that was bad defense on his part.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 12: But you know what, they outplayed Kansas and they deserve to win that game. They almost gave it away now, but they played well. If that team could shoot, they would be dangerous.
Speaker 13: Well, they shoot a lot of threes and they're not making them. Hey, you know what it's like, They're like. See, that's one of the reasons I get first at the NBA. Dude, everybody can't shoot threes. And I don't mind you shooting threes. If you a good three points.
Speaker 3: Would you be shooting threes if you played in the NBA.
Speaker 12: No, but I probably would have to adapt to shoot some threes. But I would work on it, work on it. I try to be realistically, if you could get to forty percent. Uh, if you're shooting thirty or less, you shouldn't be shooting threes.
Speaker 8: So uh, no, I would you probably have to adapt. To be honest with.
Speaker 2: You, I got you at thirty four percent when you were in Phoenix for one year.
Speaker 12: That's not good, Dan, But I didn't take a lot I would. I bet you can count on one hand the times I took more than three.
Speaker 8: I'm pretty sure of that.
Speaker 3: Lay You had Marley, so you didn't need to be taking threes.
Speaker 12: I did have Martin, that's my man. But like you don't have to shoot. Arizona. My picture went off, shoots at least amount of threes of any team in the country, there and there and to me them in Michigan.
Speaker 8: I've always said this.
Speaker 12: I thought Arizona and Misig doing one of the two best teams all year, no disrespect to Duke or Florida or Yuka. Those are the ones, the number ones. But I thought i'd say it from the beginning. I think Arizona is gonna win this thing. I think Michigan is right there with him, and Arizona shoots at least amount of two threes in the in the whole country. Uh So it's gonna be It's gonna be interesting, gonna be a great tournament going forward. Man marsh Madden has never ever less us down. It's always spectacular.
Speaker 2: Talking to Charles Berkley, how do you explain Rick Patino still doing what he does and doing it at a high level. And he's been everywhere NBA Europe, small college, medium college, big college.
Speaker 12: Because he's just a great coach. His players are really good players that developed. I saw Jamal mashbarn talking about like he coaches the team, but he makes you do individual stuff to work on your basketball skills. And I think that's genius because you have two components of a team.
Speaker 8: You have the team, but you got to work, like, no, you need to go work on this. I mean.
Speaker 12: And I just happened to be listening, because you know, we have ten TVs during the game, watching four games at a time. But I was clicking on in the studio in Atlanta and he was talking about how and Jamal played for him thirty years ago. Buttino was the best I've ever seen here. He says, we have a team practice and then he has an individual thing later, and I'm like, how many coaches I know that. Greg Popovich always did that. I know pat Riley does that. When I was in the finals, a couple of times I saw those guys working on stuff. They didn't come out there just to shoot and get loose. They were working on individual skills. I think that's one thing that's lost. Like, yeah, you can play basketball, but you've got to get better at doing individual things because then you want to come together as a team.
Speaker 2: North Carolina feels like they're at a crossroads with Hubert Davis.
Speaker 12: You're surprising, surprising just quickly. Did he play for the championship like two years ago?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, in two years.
Speaker 12: But you know, Dan, college sports have changed forever. What I mean by that these people are not gonna let you pay kids. They're not gonna let you pay them all these millions and lose. It's unfortunate that after being in the championship game two years ago. But I said this, you know, we were talking about Bill sep who's one of the great dudes, great coaches. Like the game has changed, man, these coaches, you're not gonna get a long runway anymore. These boosters who are coming up with all this money, they're like, wait, you're coming to me every year for millions and millions of dollars.
Speaker 8: And we're not winning.
Speaker 12: The whole the whole landscape has changed, and uh, it'll never be the same again.
Speaker 8: And that's just the way it is. Is it right or wrong? No, it's not right.
Speaker 14: Or wrong.
Speaker 12: But if you're gonna pay these kids all this money, you're gonna have to win.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 12: And that's just the way it is. It's unfortunate, but that's the way it is.
Speaker 3: Brother, Does Kenny Smith want the North Carolina? John?
Speaker 8: Kenny could even make it through the weekend?
Speaker 15: Man?
Speaker 8: He got sick this weekend?
Speaker 3: No listen, man, his son's going there? Does he? He didn't want to coach North Carolina.
Speaker 12: Let me tell you two jobs that I would not want any coach right now. But with these players. And I'm not bashing the players because it's different. It's we've got two different things going here. In college, you've got to pay all these guys every year, and if they don't produce, you the one gonna get to blame. In the NBA, you can't even coach these guys. They're making so much money. Like, if they don't like you, you're gonna be gone. You can see, it's funny.
Speaker 13: I was.
Speaker 12: I haven't been watching a lot of NBA, but I've been reading the story what's going on in Orlando between the coach.
Speaker 2: Even when you're supposed to be watching a lot of NBA, you don't want to watch a lot of NBA.
Speaker 8: No, I watched the good teams. I don't watch crash. I don't. I don't know. My mind won't let me fixate the batch of basketball. They just won't.
Speaker 12: But I see that the coach and what the rumors are true. The coach and Paulo Bankero are not getting along. So the coach can start packing his stuff up, because Paulo Bankero is a heck of a player and he's probably gonna be making fifty sixty seventy million dollars in the next couple of years, and the guy who's making the least amount of money is going to be packing his bags.
Speaker 8: I think coach mosl is a good coach.
Speaker 12: I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but the players have so much power now it's crazy.
Speaker 8: You can't even yell at him anymore.
Speaker 12: You can't, Like I don't when you yell at somebody when they do something wrong, that's called being a coach. Like you can't even people talking about you can't yell at your kids. Yes, hell, you can yell at your kids, and you whooped their ass too with.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you, I think you're allowed to do that. I don't think you can whoop ass anymore?
Speaker 12: Yes, you can. That's why these kids are crazy. And the kids, let me tell you this, don't ever get no damn hot wheel or race tracks because those things are dangerous and they leave whips because.
Speaker 2: Oh wait, who like your grandma, did you take a piece of the try to whip you?
Speaker 8: Listen.
Speaker 12: Once I got once I got too old for switches, oh yeah, and for your white folks switches or tree limbs. Once I got too big for the switches, and then I actually became a switch expert. I would get one that would break after about the fifth or six. You have to get one of those. You can't get one of those that are kind of wet because they don't break. You got to get one that's kind of dry. They break after five or six. Then one year, dad, I made the mistake of getting those hot wheel race tracks, and man, that.
Speaker 8: Was one of the worst decisions ever. So kids never get hot wheel race track.
Speaker 3: I loved hot wheels, man.
Speaker 8: Hey, I did too, until it became a weapon.
Speaker 2: I gotta give your grandma a credit for looking at it. You know I got I got spanked with uh with a switch.
Speaker 8: Yeah, listen. I believe in discipline.
Speaker 12: I don't want I'm not going around telling people to beat their kids, but I think if you don't spank your kids and discipline them, they turn into some of these brats that we got today. I'm not heretings, just saying I'm not here for child abuse. But how are kids gonna know they're doing something wrong? First of all, you can't rationalize with kids. They're dumber than rocks. They don't know they doing stuff wrong. But when you spank them, that gets the message across because they don't want that. And listen, all these foods are gonna be called Listen that you can blast me on social media. You guys know I don't do social media. I don't ever read any comments. I don't care what you think. Y'all can kiss my big black ass. I'm gonna say what I got to say. Some of y'all gonna like it, and some of y'all not, and y'all get over it.
Speaker 3: How do we go from Rick Bettina?
Speaker 8: And I said, what a great guy is? You know?
Speaker 12: You know he has you know what, he has a great speech online coaching his team talking about competitive fire.
Speaker 8: I love that speech.
Speaker 12: You all your coaches out there, go get Rick Pattino's speech. He's talking about competing. Where's your competitiveness? When things go bad, that's when you grind that ain't no time to quit. I've always been a big Patino fan. I think he's one of the and him and Tom is Oh are probably my two favorite coaches because you they gonna get on their players. Uh uh.
Speaker 8: They're probably my two favorite coaches. Yes, hell yeah. And the best coach I played for.
Speaker 12: Some really good coaches, but probably the best coach I played for was Son Smith.
Speaker 8: Was great.
Speaker 12: I love that dude, but probably Billy Cunningham. He didn't take let me tell you something. He would leave doctor J like if the bus and this one thing like and I'm a firm believer that you you're never supposed to be late, because when you're late, you don't respect other people's time. There have been times when I played for the Sixers, the bus leaving at five. I could see Doctor J off into the bus at five. We're taking off, and that's part of discipline. He like, he say, al al Dominico, what time is He says five? You can see Doc twenty yards away from the bus. We take it off. I want coaches because there's no great player who don't want to be coach. That's why Greg Popovich, to me, is one of the greatest ever. You talk to Tony Parker, Tim Duncan, Genobilie, David Robinson, he got on their case all the time. And you know why you do that, Dan, because the other players are paying attention. They're like you let Tim Duncan and David Robinson, jenobl and Parker, who are all Hall of famers, get away with it. You don't have you lose the ability to yell at the other guys. That's why coaches have to hold because there's a responsibility that goes with being a star. I can promise you this, Dan, there's not one single coach and I and you can call them all or player that said to me that you can call that I played with, said I was hard to coach, or I was a pain ask as a teammate. I guarantee you that you can go ask any coach or any player. I wanted to be coached. I wanted to be a great player. But you go ask anybody in Phoenix. Now Houston don't count because I sucked out a player. But when I was a great player in Philly and Phoenix. You go ask any coach or any player. I was easy to play with. I just wanted to win. I can go to my grave knowing that.
Speaker 2: Do you wish that the Houston chapter never happened? If you could go back and race that, would you?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 12: I wish the Science had never traded me to Houston. That caught me off guard. Probably that probably caught me, not the Philadelphia thing. I've told that story. I was ready to get the hell out of here. But when I got the call from the Rockets. We had just lost to them in the playoffs. And I get a call from the Rockets at the end of the season, and they said, Robert Barr, who's a friend of mine.
Speaker 8: I says Charles. I said, what's up, man?
Speaker 12: He said, if we trade for you, are you gonna want a new contract? I said, first of all, they're not gonna trade me. I'm the only player we got. And I said, this true story, dam I says, they're not trade me. He says, Charles, if we trade for you, are you gonna want on a new contract?
Speaker 8: I said, dude, They're not trade me. I'm the only player we got. I called the Sons.
Speaker 12: I said, you guys thinking about trade me. They're like, no, did you hear that rumor? I says, I can breathe easy now. Two days later, the Rockets called me back and I says Robert, They're not gonna trade me. I'm telling you I'm the only player we got. They're like, Charles, just answer my question. If we trade for you, are you gonna hold out? I says Robert. I've never held out because you know, at that time, me and Michael were really close, and me and Michael made a pact because Scottie Pippen and I think Hardest Brant were making more than him for the Bulls, and I think some guys in Philly and Phoenix were making more than me at the time. And we said we would never complain or hold out. And I said, we have a pack and none of us, neither one of us ever did, and I said it, I would never hold out.
Speaker 8: I have a contract.
Speaker 12: Five days later, I'm packing up going to Houston, and it just you know, no. So I wanted to finish my career in Phoenix. All I wanted was a chance to win. I had four years. Well, we lost to the Bulls and then we lost to the Rockets in seven games. One of us team was going to win the championship. We were the best two teams. We lost to them in seven games. Both times. I was happy with my career and I wanted to just finish it out because I knew my body was hard to give out. And uh, but no, I to answer your question, yes, I wish the Houston chapter because you know I played good my first two years. My last two years I sucked as a player, but you know I was done.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 2: Speaking of done, can we get rid of that basketball on the set? The talking basketball I had?
Speaker 8: I did. I just worked there. I don't control anything.
Speaker 2: If that was a TNT, you guys would have thrown that thing. You, You and Shaq would have beat it up, right you Okay.
Speaker 12: But when you work for other people, you have to do what the other people tell you to do. Then the found then you should come to the Founder four one time. Come on, man, it is the coolest event. I'm telling you that Saturday. You got to come to the Founder four.
Speaker 8: Dan. It is a cool thing, brother, it is amazing.
Speaker 3: Where is it this year?
Speaker 8: Indianapolis?
Speaker 3: Now are we hanging out or like yes?
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, you can get in trouble in Indianapolis.
Speaker 8: You can get in trouble anywhere.
Speaker 3: Brother, No, you can not me.
Speaker 8: If you with me, we can.
Speaker 12: So Friday night is on, Saturday is the game.
Speaker 8: Sunday is on and the game is Monday.
Speaker 3: I have to get back for Monday for the show.
Speaker 8: Well, you gotta stay because we do a concert every year.
Speaker 12: I think Zach Brown is a concert this year, and I'm looking forward to it because Zach Brown has a song called the Man who Loves You the Most. So I was on Me and Earnest podcast and I was asking the public and they gave me great songs. But there's a song that Zach Brown singing calls the Man who loves You the Most. And if you got a daughter, I've actually had five or six of my friends use that song. It's the most poignant song for a daddy daughter and I picked it out. They picked it out, and I said, yeah, that's the song for me and my daughter at her wedding. And I'm looking forward to seeing Zach Brown. I've never met him before, but I want to tell him how special that song is to me and my daughter is called a man who loves You the Most? So does anybody out there, get married and planning to for the father daughter, Dan, the man who loves you the most. You got to listen to the words too, because they're very poignant.
Speaker 3: Good to talk to you, all right, brother, Hey man, you know I appreciate you.
Speaker 8: Brother.
Speaker 2: Keep doing your thing, all right, take a break. We're back after this. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live. Oh Charles always got a story or two, Always got a story. H David in Ohio. Hi David, what's on your on today?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 10: Dan?
Speaker 15: Great interview with Charles there, that was very good. I got a best and worst of the weekend for you. Best to seeing Saint John's takedown Kansas. I don't know if that was Kevin Harlan or Todd Printz on the game winning ball there. First of the weekend? Is the uh is that basketball you were talking about on the Capital One broadcast? That thing?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 15: Well, that talks or whatever gave me nightmares on Sunday when I saw that, and it just really freaky. I think they need to get rid of it. But like Charles said, Hey, I just worked there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if they if that was at TBS TNT, you know him and Shaq would be tossing that thing around, throwing it up against the wall. This hour brought to you by True Green. Don't waste another weekend doing your lawn care yourself. Partner with the official lawn care treatment provider, the PGA Tour, Get a golf course, quality lawn the easy Way. Sign up at truegreen dot com, then sit back and relax. Aaron in Missouri, Good morning, Aaron, what's on your mind?
Speaker 14: Good morning Dan, and thank you for taking my call. I just wanted to say that the best of the weekend was seeing Jax Forrest from Oklahoma State win an NCAA title at he was wrestling in high school in December early grad And then I just I'll hang up and listen after this. Is there a better coach in the country right now than Ben McCollum of identifying overlook talent like Combs and Banks out of a Midland Wyoming team and developing talent like Starts. I'll hang up and listen. Just those are my two best of the weekend.
Speaker 3: All right, thanks for the phone call.
Speaker 2: ESPN's Pete Thammil reporting that Greg McDermott is retiring after this season. Had an unbelievable career at Creighton, and the coach in waiting is Alan Huss. McDermott won three hundred and sixty five games in sixteen years at Creighton, and of course he coached his son as well. Get to these phone calls up against a commercial break here. When we come back, I'll get to more of those phone calls. Seaton Whilch, you update the poll results from the first two hours.
Speaker 5: Heck yeah, I'd be happy to.
Speaker 14: Dan.
Speaker 6: We've got several of them up there, including this which states don't like each other the most? We're not going to say the EAH word hate each other. Oh, let's see, we got worst of the weekend. Florida running away with that. One states that dislike each other the most, Michigan, Ohio running away with that as well. And the best time zone to live in currently is Central with forty two percent of the vote, followed by Pacific. Last place is Mountain. Oh Okay, semi shocking result. Okay, a lot of pro Mountain people are very pro Mountain. Final hour in this Monday, more phone calls eight seven to seven three DP show We Say Good Morning if you're watching on Peacock or NBC Sports Network ord listening on our radio affiliates around the country. Two hours in the Books, One More to Go with Fritzy Seat and mar Pauliyears Truly and the back Room Guys.