Speaker 1: Thanks to MasterCard for sponsoring this episode. Head to MasterCard dot com Backslash Small Bids to learn how they're amplifying and supporting black women entrepreneurs.
Speaker 2: The Miracle Drops.
Speaker 3: Remember, I only had one client that was dealing with a hair issue, but I wanted to get something for her.
Speaker 2: So that was the last thing I actually put on a market, not to.
Speaker 3: Know that it was gonna be skew, but it was the last thing that I put on the market, and I was just selling the things that I wanted my clients to be able to buy as a maintenance bundle, and then selling online. Once we took to social media, it was the edges. It was it was called sleek edges, So that's that's that's where we started. It's crazy because Miracle Drops to date has probably sold over four million pieces. And that's not a million pieces, y'all pieces pieces.
Speaker 2: That's not four million dollars four million times.
Speaker 1: I want, I want people to hear that pieces. So but yeah, she has moved four million pieces Miracle Oil alone. You're listening to Money Moves powered by Greenwood, a finance podcast dedicated to dropping all the knowledge and gems from the world's leading celebrities, entrepreneurs and experts, and tech business and more. I'm your host, angel investor, technology enthusiast, and media personality Tanya Sam. Each week we talk with guests who are making significant strides in their fields and learn how they are making their money move. If you're someone who's looking to make your money move, you're in the right place. So open up your notes app and lock us in, because this podcast will give you the keys to the kingdom of financial stability, wealth and abundance you so rightly deserve. Before we start the episode, I'd like to remind you to check us out at gogreenwood dot com and follow us on social media at Greenwood and me on all things social at It's Tanya. Time to stay locked in to new episode. Okay, so go back. We're still at these early early days. Talk about your first product.
Speaker 3: So I came out with four in the beginning. Actually it was and I'm sorry, I have six dogs. It was a sprints because I was a hairstylist and I felt like I want to sell my clients so when they leave they're able to keep up with their hairstyle. It was something called Diamond Shine, which was a shine spray for my clients for maintenance, Miracle Drops, and then it was Edge Control, and out of all of them, the very first one that I put out was the Edge Control because a lot of people like it was a big thing. And then I sold the Sprits and the Shine as a bundle pack. But the Miracle Drops. Remember I only had one client that was dealing with a hair issue, but I wanted to get something for her, So that was the last thing I actually put on a market, not to know that it was gonna be skew, but it was the last thing that I put on the market, and I was just selling the things that I wanted my clients to be able to buy as a maintenance bundle, and then selling online. Once we took to social media, it was the edges. It was it was called sleek Edges, So that's that's where we started. It's crazy because Miracle Drives to date has probably sold over four million pieces. And that's not million pieces, y'all pieces pieces.
Speaker 2: That's not four million dollars four million, pime.
Speaker 1: I want people to hear that pieces, so you but yeah, she has moved four million pieces of Miracle oil alone, and not again like sometimes part of the journey is so amazing because it surprises you. You think you're building a product, a product, and it was the spread share that people would like, and you're like, oh, let me add this, and you have to really understand what your customers want. Take us back, how many how many years ago did you first launch the line?
Speaker 3: Twenty fourteen? It was July twenty fourteen. We have our birthday month this month, and I put a screenshot and I was gonna put it on social media, screenshot of what my first month looked like. I sold one hundred and ten products, and this month we've sold over sixty thousand pieces online. And that's online alone. It has nothing to do with thor sales are nothing. And so it's just a great thing to sit back and reflect on because I would have never thought I so I couldn't afford to buy sixty thousand pieces, much less have them in house to be able to sell.
Speaker 2: I know, in July of twenty fourteen, Wow, I love that. I love that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're almost at the ten year mark. You have how many skews? Now?
Speaker 3: Oh Jesus, last time, I kind of way and I say, I feel like I'm about to fail as says.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no failing somewhere like thirty if we include all of the premiums like our brushes, our bonnets.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's probably thirty something thirty.
Speaker 1: And Miracle Drops is the number one selling. Let's talk about some of the ones that you've launched that people did not like.
Speaker 3: Oh girls, See that's the thing, that's what saying. People don't talk about all of it. And I was super excited about this collection called a Unicorn collection, right because I'm a person. I like all the glitz and the unicorn and this and and that, and it was a great it was great products. People actually loved it, but they didn't understand the purpose of it or what it did, so the messaging wasn't strong on what it did. So that same exact formula, I made the Miracle Drops collection. I put Miracle Drops in it, and I gave better wording to it.
Speaker 2: I made it, you know.
Speaker 3: So you fully understand the use of each of the products. And we came out with the Miracle Drops collection because I never had I had never had a miracle Drop shampool, a miracle drop condition of a miracle Drop masks, none of that. All we had was the miracle drops. They were just shampoo to compliment it or nothing. So then once I started the Unicorn line, for some reason, it wasn't moving. It just people didn't understand, and people had all these questions were trying to answer it. For me, it was the un The corn is the person that likes to switch it up, and they like to they like to.
Speaker 2: Keep that had health.
Speaker 3: You know, I thought it was gonna be the best thing ever, and it was. I guess you could consider it a flop, just like we had. And I don't mind ever telling people about my missus because my wings always far surpassed my missus. We had gold Men, which did okay, But I didn't know, like I.
Speaker 2: Never I've never been in the space before.
Speaker 3: I didn't know to look in the market for competitive things and all the rest of that. We were so hot. We was like twenty dollars and men don't buy to like we. Men don't buy nothing for no damn twenty dollars. Find no body washed for twenty twenty five dollars. So then, understanding how to stage it properly, you go back to the drawing board and just fix it. Yep, Yeah, that's all you do is you fix it, and then that's gonna be time. Like there's always ebbs and flows. Think about it, hairstyles. You have different hairstyles between the years that change and so on and so on. So there's gonna be things that probably sold a lot and then eventually doing them down.
Speaker 2: Okay, find something else.
Speaker 1: To sell, Find something else.
Speaker 2: It's not squirrel, just get something else.
Speaker 1: So to your point on that, how do you manage holding inventory? So you know, and I think there's this question is different for people who are later stage entrepreneur entrepreneurs, but early stage entrepreneurs when you're like trying to get your samples out, you're testing things, you know, do you order? You know, these places ask you for a minimum order of quantity, right, and sometimes it's like ten thousand units, sometimes it's one hundred thousand units.
Speaker 2: Don't don't do it.
Speaker 3: My minimum order the quantity when I first thought it was three hundred pieces, and now my minimum order quantity is one hundred thousand pieces.
Speaker 2: I didn't start off with.
Speaker 3: And how about there was a manufacturer I was trying to work with that does really great stuff, but their minimum order is five hundred thousand pieces.
Speaker 2: I'm not tell you, wow, had to say one.
Speaker 3: Hundred thousand pieces is good, but you got somebody bigger than that. Yeah, but at three hundred, at three hundred pieces, it's hot me that out of my four skills, when I buy these three hundred pieces, this one skew, I'm having to buy three hundred pieces two and three times a month. This other one hundred pieces last me for three months, This other skewed te hundred pieces last me for two months. So that way I now know a monthly order. So now I'm buying twelve hundred pieces of this, three hundred pieces of this, six hundred pieces of that, and nine hundred pieces of that, and that should last me about three months versus because let me tell you something, one of the biggest mistakes I made very recently. And a lot of people think once you, once you make all this money, you arrive that that's not true. Just last year, I was putting different people in place so I can just sit in my creative seat, and I didn't. I'm gonna say I took my hand off the wheel, but I put somebody in the place of inventory management, not realizing that they didn't have the skill set for that, and they were ordering seventy five thousand pieces this flatline of everything. So now in my warehouse. So since you tell me about I have, I have one product that we have seventy five months on hand?
Speaker 2: Why do we have seventy five months on hand of anything?
Speaker 3: Yep, yep, you get and I feel like and that's still a lesson learned.
Speaker 2: I don't feel like it's a loss.
Speaker 3: It's now forced me to talk to my team and tell them we need to talk about this product more. We get this in front of more people. What are the stars can we get this in? What else can we put this at? Because now it's like, Okay, it's a mistake. I can't change it. I can't charge it to the person because they can't afford it that they're no longer with me and they can't afford the amount of inventory that that is, they can't afford this mistake. So what I do is I take and just focus on how do we fix it?
Speaker 2: What's supposed to be my lesson of this? How can I grow out of this?
Speaker 3: And in scaling, if this mistake was to happen larger, how could I have prevented it or how can I fix it?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And there's so much there to unpack. I love even just you saying like, listen, the bigger you are, like sometimes the bigger the mistakes are and you got to work. You got to figure it out. And this is the thing about I think that people don't understand about pivoting. You could you looked at that seventy five thousand chunk of inventory and you're like, Okay, I got to do something different here to make sure this moves. So I either got to push it harder because mistakes happen, you know, and even though you are the CEO, you have to hire a team under you that will execute. And I've you know, Judy and I I've seen her team. I've seen how she operates. She's an incredible leader. I've sat in meetings with you for previous interviews and stuff where you were leading a team and they love to be led by you. Tune in Friday for the conclusion of our conversation with hair care entrepreneur Judy Harris Depart. Thanks for listening to today's episode. If we helped you make your money move, please share it with your community, Subscribe and leave us a review on iHeart Radio and Apple Podcasts. Follow us on social media at Greenwood and visit us at Gogreenwood dot com for more financial tips and remember, money Movers. If this were easy, everyone would do it. So take the lessons you've learned from this episode and apply it to your life. Money Moves is an iHeartRadio podcast powered by Greenwood Executive produced by Sunwise Media, Inc. For more podcasts on iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts from. Make sure to tune in Monday, Wednesday and Friday and subscribe to the Money Moves podcast powered by Greenwood, so that you too can have the keys to financial freedom you so rightly deserve. Until next time,