Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Resent Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Well Come, well, come, well come, well come, well.
Speaker 1: Come, come, Welcome home, y'all. We're here for this week's mini pod. And I'll just tell you guys, I was just telling Angela a story, but I didn't get a chance to get her opinion on it, so we're going to talk about that on the mini pod. So I'll tell y'all the story now. So, I uh saw a black woman at the airport and we just started making small talk, and she obviously does well for herself, you know, and we were both in the priority line and we're just chatting, and she starts talking about how challenging it's been in the private sector these days. And I was saying, yeah, there's been some really great writing contextualizing you know how challenging it is. And she says, again, y'all is a black woman. She says, yeah, it's so frustrating. I just feel like people don't like when we make money, Like they just get mad at people who work in corporate America who make money. And I am immediately offended at this entire sentiment, and thankfully one of our other friends was there. I want to say who that is. I don't think she'll care. Joe taka Jo Taica was there. Joe Taica Edie who you guys know leads win with black women and it's just a phenomenal person. A phenomenal singer too, if you are lucky enough to hear sing. And so I am immediately like, you know, ready to attack you know. So I'm like, that's not true at all. People don't like when you make money on a system that's crushing them. I don't think people are just looking at you like I'm mad that you make money. But Joe Taica came in very softly, but directly and contextualize it a lot better than I did, because I immediately felt like I don't like this black woman because she sound like them and it feels like she moved like them. But what is a better way to deal because in my space, I'm like, I don't want to know you. You know, we're not the same, and I don't want to try to convince you, you know, because like you fifty something years old, you feel how you feel. But I just immediately I'm like, I don't I don't like it. How do you think you would have handled What are your thoughts about all of it?
Speaker 3: Sometimes I can be I think, defensive and combative, and I think other times something is so mind blowing I want to understand why. So I think I would have said, I mean, I like to believe I would have said, can you.
Speaker 2: Tell me what you're talking about?
Speaker 3: Like, tell me what you mean by they don't want you to make money? Yeah, just to unpack what she could have meant.
Speaker 2: I think that.
Speaker 3: We're in an error right now where that type of fundamental misunderstanding is deadly, and I think we're seeing that across the board. I think there is like it's like the proletariat rising kind of vibes yeah right now and.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I just I'm puzzled by what she means, especially when the proletaria rising is the reason why maybe she got her bonus last year or the year before, because people saw her humanity and wanted to ensure that she was paid the same as everybody else.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: What isn't fair is the widening gap, and I wish that she could, Yeah, the widening gap between incomes for folks who are at the entry level jobs to the folks that sit in the c suite, and I guess I would ask that sister, like, what do your parents do? What did your grandparents do? You know, how would they feel about X y Z? Really just trying to understand it now. She might come back and be like, well, I'm a fourth generation trust fund baby, or you know whatever she.
Speaker 1: Said after she caught the vibe. It feels like she tried to change it a little. So when I came from dirt to get this, which made me even more angry. What are you talking about then?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Were you mad at people making money?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: Like, how did you feel when you came from this dirt? You say? And you saw all the people around you making money on this system of capitalism that does not always serve.
Speaker 3: Us, you know, TIFFs, I'm gonna tell you, I think that you're well, I'll just acknowledge this. I think that all of us are wired differently. We're like, it's truly that we're defined by our own experiences. There are some people who come from dirt who are like I never want to experience that again, and I'm gonna claw whatever. And however, even if it means you to stay in that, like I'm gonna sink my clause in this to make sure I never experienced that again. Yeah, and we don't know who she's financially responsible for, Like she might be feeling threatened in a way that's not rational, or maybe it is rare. I don't know what are experiences at work. She might be getting reprimanded at work for being blessed.
Speaker 1: She's going through all of this because in the DEI space, like she's had to change her job title, just all of this, and I just couldn't believe she said that. But I'll tell you, it's making me think of something else that we got into last week. So many people commented on this, and we didn't even talk about it, girl Gail. When I started talking about Gail and you were like, I love you, Gil.
Speaker 2: De'stivity throwing shape.
Speaker 1: A lot, and I just still feel this way. A lot of people are highly offended at her comments, which I am too. What does she say when there was criticism around her going into space and also her love for Jeff Bezos, people had a problem with that, and so it was all this criticism, very loud voices, and so she was doing an interview with somebody and she looks at the cameras like have you been to space? And then black women lost their minds. They were like what, and they were people were filming all these responses to her like no, I haven't been to space. I'm paying two mortgages, or I'm taking care of kids, or i'm you know, And it does feel.
Speaker 2: Like Jamison in that moment to be like, actually, yes.
Speaker 1: Well, but that was another thing too, of calling herself an astronaut, you know, because she was like, I have so much trouble calling myself astronaut. But I guess since I've been in the space. I was like, right, You're not right, right, And so it does feel like sometimes that wealth can read disconnect. I volunteer as tribute to get some wealth and show that I disconnected.
Speaker 2: If you get runner of a million dollars signa.
Speaker 1: I really think I would give a lot of money away because it's hard for me and to be honest with you when you say when you come from nothing, part of me does feel that way. To be honest, I don't ever want to go back. I don't like I was born in Cleveland. Anytime I go to Cleveland, I could break out in hives. I'm sweat, I can't stand it. I get the memories of the time that I spent there. I always want to get I had to speaking engagement there. I couldnot wait to leave. No dis to Cleveland, and of course and the people who live there. I have family there. But I just those times, I just I don't like it. The State of the People tour is kicking off this weekend in Atlanta, and it's not It's not a space for me to go and learn, you know, it's a space. It's like I'm revisiting a space of when I didn't have and I sometimes I don't want to revisit that space, and I'm panicked all the time that I'm gonna I literally it is PTSD growing up without in black because I'm panicked all the time that at any point I'm gonna be living that way again. Yeah, Like I always think you'll appreciate this having lived in DC. I'm like, at some point, i feel like I'm a wake up in a nightmare where I'm living out in Laurel and public assistance, you know, in a little twenty year old vehicle that barely runs, and it is such a panic for me. So I am like that in some levels, but I don't want my people in that space. I want to help my people as much as I can get out. And I feel so connected to my people who live like that. And I know how I felt having people come and talk and watching people on TV. I felt such a disconnect from those people. All right, we got to take a quick break. And yes, we have noticed all your comments about the ads that run during this show. And let me just say, if they pay for it, then it's run on this show. Speaking of let's row these ads. We'll see you on the other side.
Speaker 2: But that's the thing too.
Speaker 3: I think that we sometimes are under the assumption that wealth is the only disconnector yes, you know, working in politics can be a disconnector working in media can be a disconnector. I think that we all have maybe a collective obligation if we had a call to action from the podcast. Maybe it's finding other ways to connect with people who you feel like you don't have anything in common with. We're saying stuff to get on your nerves. For me, people that you know, I normally don't spend a lot of time with. And I think that is why I am so excited about the tour, because I don't I don't crave disconnection. I actually really crave connection and knowing how to best advocate for my folks and also how to connect with my folks. I don't want to be disconnected. I think that's the greatest insult.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I have it. Sometimes I don't, you know, And it's not on purpose. I just I'm like, either my patience is run thin, or I'm like, how could.
Speaker 2: You think that? That's south dumb or whatever it is. But I want I don't want to be that way.
Speaker 3: I want to be able to lean and live into grace, and I think that I think that the way to do that is through conscious connection.
Speaker 2: So I am not an astronaut. I do love Gail. I hate that she that she did, but you know what I was, I did.
Speaker 3: Feel a little empathy for right when you were talking about she was saying she loves just Jeff Bezos.
Speaker 2: That's her friend, right.
Speaker 3: I guess for me, I have some rich friends and I don't want nobody talking about them.
Speaker 2: But they're yes.
Speaker 3: But if you're I mean, and I do have some and they have good hearts and they do really good things.
Speaker 1: Look on her friend, and I ain't rid so exactly, but I think if your friendship robs you of logic and facts, then it's hard to have a conversation about it.
Speaker 2: Well, I am very illogical about y'all, but I not.
Speaker 1: Like if somebody comes to you and they're like, you know, I didn't like what Tiffany said, and this is why, Like, I don't expect you to be robbed the logic in fact, you know, like in that moment, you you might well just so you know, that's my girl. But I hear you, and thanks for sharing, you know.
Speaker 2: But I'm also going to be like that, don't sound like her.
Speaker 1: Let me find out what something that you heard, something that you too disagree with or you feel like, yeah, that that that I know Tiffany did this thing, and I think that thing is wrong.
Speaker 2: Give me an example.
Speaker 1: Why don't do anything wrong? And everything right?
Speaker 2: So this is true? She doesn't do anything wrong. Never, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: I'm sure. Oh, I know the one I didn't want to show the video the Trump supporters and you wanted to show the video.
Speaker 2: But just that.
Speaker 1: But if people are coming up with you like she get on my nerves, like I want.
Speaker 3: To do that, I would be hot. I'd be like, no, she don't get on my nerves. You don't get to say that to me.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, I'm not logical.
Speaker 1: You can say that, but but you can say I take your point.
Speaker 3: You know, they cannot come to me and tell me that you get on their I don't even know you.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not.
Speaker 3: I'm not ever going to be a receptacle for mess for my friends. Yeah, I'm not doing it, even for people that are associates, I'm not doing it.
Speaker 2: I'm not doing it.
Speaker 1: Well, then I would say that because that's true someone.
Speaker 2: I want people to be that fiercely protective of me.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say if somebody said it came to me like Angela get on my nerves like that would be a challenge for me. Okay, I want to talk about the time that I almost got into a fight. We almost got into a fight. I mean, this was disrespectful on the elevator and I told her if I see him, I was gonna say something.
Speaker 2: But I'm saying and she did say something, and I did, and.
Speaker 1: I was ready to throw something.
Speaker 2: You were better on you were actually better on this.
Speaker 1: I can't. I can't like act.
Speaker 2: I just said I was really nervous.
Speaker 1: And believe me. And I said, if I see him, I'm gonna say they need to.
Speaker 3: Stay reading books because this is not the ministry.
Speaker 1: It really isn't my ministry. But I'm willing to fight. I'm willing to fist fight for my friends. So I take your point. But I think for a Jeff Bezos type friendship, like you, if I come to us, say Jeff Bezos is on some bullshit, like and if you're saying to me, that's my friend and he we have a disconnect here, you know.
Speaker 3: And you could say that, but I want you to hear why I said that's my and I tell you stuff all the time where you're like man, and I'm like, well, let's talk about it.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I just feel like I hate when people sound bite us. I want to know, like the full context of what she was going into and also like I'd love to hear the extent of their friendship, like how did they become friends? You know, what does it look like? What are your favorite things about this person? Because maybe there's a side of humanity we just don't see.
Speaker 1: And I don't really care to be honest, like, I think, if you know this person is causing he's funding a person who's causing harm. He's aligned with people who are causing harm to the greater good that I don't care what his favorite food is. I don't care how y'all met I'm looking at you sideways because you are so connected to this person. You know, you have chosen this friendship over this wide community of people who upheld you, cheered for you, and it feels like a disconnect because now I'm saying, well, stay with your billionaire friends and stay on that spaceship, because I don't know how much space we have for you in community anymore. After you flexed on everybody saying have you been to space number one? At number two? Crazy? I'm not there yet, But I'm saying, if she cannot call out his role in the problem that we're facing here, But I.
Speaker 3: Don't think that's what Gail does, Like, I don't think that a challenge. Dude, Well, okay, but in a position to power, what is your point in ascending to.
Speaker 1: This level hosting a show? And it's not bravery if you don't have fear, like, of course, there's gonna be a consequence. That's how you exercise bravery. And so if you are not brave enough to say, hey, you know this is a problem, or hey, I'm not gonna report this like this okay, or hey I'm not gonna let you sit here and disrespect Tanahasee coach who wrote this brilliant book who deserves to have his point her. Hear that, Then I got to question you.
Speaker 2: I hear that.
Speaker 3: But also, we have friends in multiple spaces that make decisions about when.
Speaker 2: They're gonna challenge things and when they're not.
Speaker 3: So I just am saying like, I don't know, And for me, I just I would want the benefit of somebody asking me, and I can say that I have experienced her. We both do United Justice Coalition together, and otherwise I wouldn't know Gail. But I think that's one of those spaces where it does flatten privilege. You know, there are people like a Crystal you know, who was arrested for trying to exercise her franchise just because she had a record.
Speaker 2: We have people like.
Speaker 3: The mother of the man who died in Parchment, and folks like Yale who will say I'm reporting on this, I'm going to use my platform to share these stories, you know, like and when asked she's like absolutely.
Speaker 2: So it's hard.
Speaker 3: For me because I don't expect her to show up Like me, I do expect her to show up, and I can say in that space, at least nine times out of ten, maybe ten out of ten, she's showing up. Yeah, So I don't know. I mean, I people are multi have not been a space.
Speaker 1: I have not been to space. I still have an issue.
Speaker 2: I don't think I want to go on one of them ships. Neither though I want to go.
Speaker 1: I'm not going on Jetzel's nothing. My issue is the way this conversation started is about us and wealth, you know, and how we can change when we have wealth, and can we stay connected to community. We have to, we have to, And I've seen a lot of people with money get disconnected from community that it's just money.
Speaker 3: Though I think you can move out of your neighborhood and get disconnected.
Speaker 2: I think you can.
Speaker 1: Get old and get disconnected. I said on the podcast this week, I don't know nineteen keys. I feel so disconnected from people. There is something even.
Speaker 2: About our elders.
Speaker 3: You can't move around the way that you used to be able to move around, and you get disconnected. So sometimes it's not even intentional, it's you are a product of your circumstance. So I do think that I like this idea of intentional, meaningful connection. I think that that helps us live in grace and body grace and maybe patience with each other. And maybe it gives us space to confront somebody too, if you know what they're doing is off. But I just I think that my weakness is man. I hate when I get misunderstood somewhere online or on from some media clip or whatever.
Speaker 2: I'm like, well, what's behind that?
Speaker 1: Because misunderstood I mean, as you know, I will listen and I'm a reader. She was not misunderstood.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm saying maybe she doubled down in something that was nonsense in that moment, but that's not the totality of who she is. Like, I don't want people to judge me off of snoop or you know what comes up all the time. There's a moment where me and Leonard were talking about Lewis Ferrikhn on a podcast and I was frustrated at the time about what I was hearing him say that felt anti semitic.
Speaker 2: It was one clip. I don't think he's an anti semitic. I don't. I don't.
Speaker 3: I actually summarily reject it when I hear it every time. But it came up and the minister actually ended up reaching out. He was like, you know, young sister, I just want to talk to you, and I was like, I hope you know that that's not what I think is. Now people quote it and say that I called him dumb and like crazy stuff that I've never said, and it's frustrating because this is a man that I.
Speaker 2: Grew up looking at, looking up to. Yeah, my dad went to the Millionaire March.
Speaker 3: I got to stay home and watch the Millionaire merch today, so I would never you.
Speaker 1: Know, I think there are the masses can do that. There are a lot of people out there. I am basing this on We're in the same industry. Years of watching Gil being in the same spaces with her, I feel like you and me together have probably been in the same spaces with her. I've had conversations with Gail before. I based on everything that one of my friends is her executive producer. I won't say her name. She might have to disassociate for me now after I said this, I know. But my point is that I'm not basing this on a clipped byte. I would never, you know, Like I am fully aware of some things that she's done and said and their totality and space just being the latest I was disappointed, as you know, and how that time of Hot Sea Coaches interview. Yeah, so it's a collection of things. But I not to just pick on Gail. And I also defended Gail after she asked what I thought to be an inappropriate question of Lisa Leslie after Kobe's death, and people pounced on her and called her out of her name. I was on Joy Read show and defended her because I thought people were so I thought the question was out of pocket and not done in journalistic integrity, but people disrespecting her and calling her a bit and like all these things, we don't have to do that. So I don't want to just pick on Gail, but I do think her remarks were incredibly tone death and very disrespectful to a lot of people who are going through a lot of challenges right now because of this administration. And she is publicly praising someone who was very much aligned with this administration and considers him a friend, considers his wife a friend, and just it felt disconnected and it felt disrespectful. And one of the chief reasons why Gail is who she is is because of the support of black women. And so when black women are calling you out and tapping you on your shoulder, I think it's enough for you to listen and just check yourself. I hope. So maybe maybe she'll come out and say something about it. But yeah, there is something about wealth and us, and I just wonder, you know, we when they get wealth is different when we get wealth. I think it comes with obligation.
Speaker 2: I agree with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we all know, likeeah, members of Congress, and those members of Congress are making the most money they've ever made in their lives and taking care of a whole bunch of people. And that is on the low end, but still it would be probably be the top ten percent of income earners in the country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, especially black folks.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So well, anyway, if you all know a way that we can do a social experiment in Angela and I can get wealth, let us know, because we are willing to.
Speaker 3: If he wants to trade four x, what's for it, I'm nonsense, My brother does that.
Speaker 1: See, I'm disconnected this could be some popish disconnected from that. I don't know anything.
Speaker 2: Jesus stay disconnected from that.
Speaker 1: I don't know anything about it. But what I appreciate about that I have some you Yeah, I got some years ago.
Speaker 2: Oh years ago?
Speaker 1: Are you rich on that? No? Do you? I just I have somebody overlooking my how much fifteen hundred?
Speaker 2: Oh that's pretty good, that's what I don't say.
Speaker 1: The company, but yeah, that's what I have now. I don't remember how much I put in. It wasn't a lot of money. Yeah, yeah, but I have fifteen hundred now I think I have. If I had I put in fifteen hundred, how much would I have now? Had I put in twenty thousand? How much do I have now? You know?
Speaker 2: But I put in one hundred dollars?
Speaker 1: How much you have now?
Speaker 2: Let's look.
Speaker 1: Yeah, while she's looking for that, what pull it up? Because I want to know while she's looking for that. What I will say, I like appreciate about this conversation is the challenge for people to extend grace and to make sure that you understand what someone's saying.
Speaker 3: And remember that after I started doing oh bigcoin, yeah, bigoin.
Speaker 1: The we challenge you to make sure that you understand the totality of someone's statements, not in clipped Instagram base but oh yeah, but just understand the full context of what someone is saying before posting.
Speaker 2: I got it.
Speaker 1: Oh God. We don't know how much Angel will make, but I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna tell y'all next time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, next, stay tuned to see how much wealth we've built in a week when we're back here. Anyway, you got anything else say to the people before we go?
Speaker 2: I met, I locked down my coins. I was looking forward to reporting twenty dollars.
Speaker 1: So they got to tune. It's just one of those nineteen eight continued I remember. But people don't know about that to be continued. You know now that you get to binge watched twelve episodes, but in the eighties when it's showing off and it was to be continued baby music, Yes, that will be cold game. Wait, I know what I'm doing with my well anyway, thanks for tuning in.
Speaker 2: With allaha la la, that's how we should in the episode forget Welcome home, shall la.
Speaker 1: Native Land Pod is the production of iHeart Radio and partnership with Recent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.