Speaker 1: Hi, get everybody. I'm Dan Horde and thanks for downloading the Bengals Booth Podcast BA because I'm so into you edition. As I take an in depth look at the players most frequently going to the Bengals in the first round of mock drafts, it might help you decide who you want them to pick in two weeks. The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by pay Core, proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future proof fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider.
Speaker 2: Of the Bengals.
Speaker 1: Now here's a quick reminder that you can have the latest edition of this podcast delivered right to your phone, tablet or computer by subscribing wherever you get your podcasts. It's the greatest thing since new Steak Nives. My wife and I got Steak Knives as a wedding gift many years ago and they served us well, but recently they were showing their age, so my wife got new ones and I am here to tell you that the material brand steak knives are tremendous. The Serious Eats website rated them as the best budget friendly steak knives, and I can see why. They're sleek and stylish and glide through whatever you're looking to cut. They might not be as sharp as the samurai swords that Joe Burrow handed out at Christmas, but if you need new steak knives, you'll find good ones at material kitchen dot com. The NFL Draft is two weeks away, and it's that time of the year where many of us form very strong opinions about guys we've barely or never seen play, and that's the goal of this podcast. We are going to learn about the thirteen players who have been most frequently connect the Bengals and mock drafts from local experts who have watched them play in person. Well go alphabetically, and the first two players happen to be from the same school, Alabama guard Tyler Booker and Crimson Tide linebacker Jahad Campbell. I talked about that duo in reverse order with former Alabama quarterback and current Crimson Tide radio analyst Tyler Watts. Tyler Jahad Campbell let Alabama and tackle sacks and forced fumbles. He has described as a explosive, physical athlete. What will an NFL team get in Jahad Campbell?
Speaker 3: Are you universatile player?
Speaker 4: A guy who can play in the box but also get out and coverage. He has the length to be able to fight off of blockers, but also the speed to be able to get.
Speaker 3: Him to the perimeter.
Speaker 4: So he's a tool that a lot of defenses at that next level will definitely find a place to plug him in. He's a workhorse. He has played through Andrew. He's a lot of motivation in his background as well, which always has taken into consideration. But just a really good guy to the teammates obviously love him. He works hard, he plays even harder, and you're right, he just goes about his business.
Speaker 3: And we used to look up at the stat sheets.
Speaker 4: At the end of all the games and say, well, I guess he's leading in tackles again with ten eleven, twelve tackles on the day.
Speaker 3: It's Geehi Campbell.
Speaker 4: He's just really versatile player that can do a lot of different things for defenses.
Speaker 2: Tyler.
Speaker 1: You mentioned pass coverage. It's so important now in the NFL, and he's a big guy at two hundred and thirty five pounds. How good is he in that aspect of his game?
Speaker 4: He was one of the better that Alabama had at that level. He was asked to do a lot of different things, and you're right. As offenses continue to diverse in what they're able to do with personnel and especially understanding who you have in your division, it's important to have a kind of hybrid guy that can do multiple things, and Jahad definitely has the ability to.
Speaker 3: He's a quick learner and he's been asked.
Speaker 4: To do a couple of different roles in his college career but always adjusted to him quickly. And that's pretty important, I think, is just the ability to not be scared to have a guy that's just a one size he can only do one thing rather but just someone who is willing to tack along and be asked to do multiple things and takes it, you know, with a proper mindset and is willing to go out there and do it. But the talent is definitely there, and like we said, the work ethic, just his background and what he's been through.
Speaker 3: He definitely wants to achieve and be the best player that he can.
Speaker 1: He's a former defensive end. How harre his instincts as a linebacker, they're good and.
Speaker 4: They got better as he got more into that role of playing in the middle of really recognizing and being in position, you know, And that's an instinct that a lot of people who don't play the game don't truly understand. It's not just lined up recognizing what an offense is doing and then reacting to its. Certain guys just have a better feel than others of where the balls go and where people are, how to keep their feet clean, how to keep guys staying off of them, And joh definitely did improve in that area as he got more comfortable. And I think that there's a learning curve anytime that you're plugging somebody into a new system or.
Speaker 3: A new team. It's just it takes time.
Speaker 4: But how quickly can you get up that and learn your role and do it well and effectively is important. Joha definitely showed improvement from year one to year two because last year was a transition year was an entirely new defense that they were running, going from Nick Saban to what the new coaching staff under Killing de Bor was asking him to do.
Speaker 3: But he adjusted and stepped into that role and took it head off.
Speaker 1: The status of one of the Bengals starting linebackers, Jermaine Pratt, is up in the air. He's a possible cap casualty he's requested to trade as a result. Is Jahad ready to start for a good NFL team on day one?
Speaker 3: That's a great question.
Speaker 4: Is anybody really ready to start both mentally emotionally.
Speaker 3: Physically. I think yes. I think that he fits.
Speaker 4: The mold of what a lot of other NFL defensive personnel possess.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's a physical guy that can run around.
Speaker 4: I think you're always concerned about the mental aspect of it because so much, I mean, that's all y'all do at that level is football, and that could be an advantage for him though not having the other distractions of having to kind of balance life allow in school along with football, but just being solely focused on the.
Speaker 3: Football aspect of it.
Speaker 4: He definitely is intelligent enough to be able to step into that role. I'm sure that there's always limitations with any rookie that you're relying on.
Speaker 3: However, I think that he.
Speaker 4: Does possess a lot of the characteristics that you're looking for that make you feel comfortable about plugging him into a position like that.
Speaker 1: The other Alabama player being linked to Cincinnati in the first round of mock drafts his guard, Tyler Booker. He was the left guard for Alabama the last couple of years. He's a big man nearly six five weighs three twenty plus, long arms, big hands. Described Tyler Booker, I think.
Speaker 4: Every quarterback who has ever played at any level would love to have five dollar Bookers across the front.
Speaker 3: This guy is physical.
Speaker 4: He is an emotional leader, a ton of personality and emotion and just energy and he's a fun guy to watch. I used to love calling him out on the radio broadcast. Who's winning the first five plays?
Speaker 3: He was going to be drive blocking.
Speaker 4: A linebacker, a defensive end, you know, twenty yards down the field, and then trying to continue to get that pancake block. It's just a ball of energy who approaches the game the right way. Incredible locker room, got tons of personality.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's what you want in an offensive lineman.
Speaker 4: And the fact that he's not lazy, He works hard and he wants to improve his every single day. I think that every franchise in the league would love to have Tyler Booker on the roster.
Speaker 1: Well, you are a former quarterback, so that is a rave review. Job Number one in Cincinnati is obviously protecting Joe Burrow is past protection his strength and were there any types of rushers that gave him trouble?
Speaker 4: You know, he really did a nice job on that interior line. And of course playing guard is always beneficial. You're not as on an island quite as much as you are at the tackle positions. But he always did a really nice job with the twists and the stunts and the games that were played up front of making sure that he was protecting the quarterback. We saw very few pressures up the middle last season in the backfield at Alabama, a lot of pressure came on the edges. So yeah, I mean, once again, there's a learning curve for every rookie, regardless of what position that you're playing. But the more snaps you get under your belt, the more experience you have, more times you view all these different packages that defenses have, then you definitely have a better chance of winning those matchups. But it still comes down to personnel and personnel. And he's a physical guy. He moves his feet will he's good in space, and a lot of those characteristics I know are what makes successful offenses at the next level.
Speaker 3: You're always dependent on those guys upfront. Skill.
Speaker 4: Guys always are making the plays, but it's how well can you protect and create holes up front that really drive your success. And Tyler Booker is good. I mean he's good in all the phases. Good in space, good in the tackle box, good and run blocking. So he'd be a huge kit.
Speaker 1: Tyler Wats is our guest. The Bengals love drafting team captains. Tyler was one. Sometimes the best player in the team is just automatically named the captain. But based on some of the things you said earlier, it sounds like his leadership qualities really stood out.
Speaker 4: And that was so important as we transition from coach Shaban to coach to Boor and it was a big question mark. A lot of guys have the ability to leave, but was seniors like Tyler Booker who maintained that locker room and kept the guys in check and said, let's finish what we started together. And he had even made a comment along the way that he had bounced around a lot at the high school level, played at multiple programs, and even referenced on several occasions that Alabama was the longest he had ever stayed in one place, and he appreciated that he felt like it was home and he wanted everyone else to understand how special of a place it was. So just a huge presence in the locker room of keeping guys focused and motivated on what their main goal was and making sure that he challenged the fellows across the ball from him to get better on a daily basis.
Speaker 1: If you had to forecast his NFL future, what will it look like?
Speaker 4: But with so much of it depends on systems in front office and things.
Speaker 3: Of that nature at that level.
Speaker 4: But I know he possesses all the skill set that made for successful offensive linemen, and I think that he can have a really good career because he's not going to You're gonna get it frustrated if things don't go well.
Speaker 3: It's just gonna work harder.
Speaker 4: And I think that that's the first thing that you're wanting to look for, is not someone who's looking for an easy ride, but a worker who could fight through paying fight through challenges, and just continue to try to improve.
Speaker 3: Because he loves the guys that he plays with.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports draft expert Rob rang has the Bengals taking Booker in his latest mock, and Campbell was mel Kiper's most recent pick. The athletics draft guru Dan Brugler has Booker ranked number twenty four overall in his top one hundred and Campbell number fourteen. The NFL Networks Daniel Jeremiah has Booker number twenty overall and Campbell way up there at number nine. Up next, South Carolina safety Nick Emon Worri. He's number seventeen on the Brugler list and number fifteen on Jeremiah's rankings.
Speaker 2: Here's J. C.
Speaker 1: Sherbert, the co host of the Inside the Gamecock Show. Nick Emon Warri ran a four to three eight forty at the combine. He brought jumped in insane eleven six and he's a big guy six three, two twenty. What's an NFL team getting if it drafts Nick Emon Warri?
Speaker 5: Well, I think, like you said, he's the freak. Athleticism really jumps out.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 5: Cam Chancellor is a player the South Carolina defensive backs coach. Tory and Gray coached at Virginia Tech, and he also coached Nick at South Carolina and they're very similar types of players. You don't find guys like this at safety very often, just with the size athleticism combo that Nick possesses.
Speaker 2: But I'll also say this, he's not.
Speaker 5: You know, some guys are really athletic, and you know, the football part of it's very average, you know, particularly when it comes to with taller safeties sticking their neck in and sticking their head in and making tackles.
Speaker 6: And Nick is an elite tackler.
Speaker 5: He gets leverage, he's a hard hitter, he's a willing guy to stick his nose in there. A very tough football player, you know, almost a throwback in this futuristic elite athletes body in that regard. And then his ball skills really came home this year with regards to being able to break on the ball, to get the man coverage and cover a fast receiver, you know, all the things you look for in a guy that can create turnovers and defend the pass. Nick has and he's learned through the years how to use that length that he has to his advantage in the past game as well. You know, that's part of the development process he went through at South Carolina.
Speaker 1: The Bengals love drafting team captains, and Nick was one at South Carolina. Describe what you observed in terms of his leadership and work ethic.
Speaker 2: He's a guy that.
Speaker 5: Really, you know, set the example for a lot of younger players in the program with how he worked at it, how he competed every time he got on the field, how you know, the toughness that he plays with when he's in games. You know, he's not a guy that takes plays off, not a guy.
Speaker 3: That's you know, pulls up and you.
Speaker 5: Know, even in games that Carolina would may have lost if he's out there on the field competing, he's competing. You know, He's not a guy that you know, loafs or or anything like that. So that the leadership portion of it, you know, is really by example and sets the tone with how he plays the game each and every snap.
Speaker 1: Do you see him primarily as a center fielder type running sideline to sideline or better suited to play closer to the line of scrimmage.
Speaker 5: You know, I think he's a guy that could do both, and that's the beauty of him. You know, I mentioned he's very good in the box against the run. I don't think he's a guy that you look at and go linebacker long term. I know, you know, some some amateur scouts kind of saw that about him when he got to South Carolina, and you know, outside people were, oh, he probably a linebacker one day. I don't see that, but I definitely think in a nickel position or a position that does play close to the line of scrimmage, he's more than capable, probably even very good at that.
Speaker 6: But he also can cover, he can get man coverage, and he can.
Speaker 5: Be that center field or I think it really depends on the scheme and the personnel of the franchise.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: The beauty of him.
Speaker 5: Is his versatility, and that sounds strange, you know for a safety that's got that kind of freaky athleticism and measurables, because a lot of times those guys are either or guys, but Nick can do both.
Speaker 6: I just think it kind of depends on how he.
Speaker 5: Fits in with the team, but certainly, you know, I think he can thrive in either environment.
Speaker 1: How about that, jac I'm going to wrap this up by asking you to peer into the future. What kind of role do you think he's ready to play as a rookie and what kind of NFL career do you anticipate for Nick Eman Warren.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, the guys like Nick that love football and they compete every play tend to have good in a careers if they stay healthy. Of course, the injuries are part of the game. As a rookie, I think when you're talking about the complexities of an NFL system, he did play, you know, a somewhat complicated defense of South Carona, but it's always It's not like he came out and played for Nick Saban and Alabama, where you have a ton of checks and reads and all that good stuff, you know, under Clayton White of South Carolina. So I would think initially, you know, if I were drafting him, depending on who else I have that playing closer to the line of scrimmage, because of his size and his tackling ability and his willingness to tackle the run game, that would probably be the role as a freshman or sorry, as a rookie I would start off with. But in time, you know, he can do just about anything.
Speaker 1: Ryan Wilson, a draft expert for CBS Sports, has the Bengals picking Emon Warre in his latest mock and Bengals beat reporter Paul Dayner junior from the Athletic called Emon Worri and the previously mentioned Tyler Booker as good first round fits in a story he wrote this week. Up next, alphabetically Michigan defensive tackle Kenneth Grant, a six', four three hundred and thirty pound moose who played nose tackle and three technique for The. Wolverines after Taking Chris jenkins in the second round last, year could The bengals take his former teammate in the first round this? Year here's FORMER nfl offensive Lineman John, jansen the radio analyst On michigan football. Broadcasts he's got a lot of.
Speaker 7: Upside he's a guy that could go in there and contribute right, away BUT i think his best year are going to, be you, know, two, three, four and five down the, road because there's still a lot that he needs to work.
Speaker 2: On and when he.
Speaker 7: Was making the decision of whether to make that jump to THE nfl or to come back for another, year that was part Of he's very aware of, that which leads you to believe that if he is aware of his weaknesses going into THE, nfl.
Speaker 8: He's addressing those.
Speaker 7: Already some of it's pad, level some of it's just technique that he's willing to put the time and effort into. Doing but you, know he is he's a, monster and he's got an unreal athletic ability for, it being as big as he. Is AND i know one of the highlights that there they'll will show whenever he's taken off the board is his ability twenty five yards down the field to run down one of The Penn state running.
Speaker 8: Backs he's just he's, big.
Speaker 7: He's, Powerful he's a little bit, Raw but the upside is is certainly.
Speaker 1: There he's three hundred thirty. Pounds is it a good three thirty or could his weight be a concern going? Forward?
Speaker 2: OH i.
Speaker 7: DON'T i don't see his weight being a. Concern AND i mean he's so, young And i've got a you, know different perspective now that That i'm you, know no longer playing And i've seen guys come and go and how they change their bodies being in THE. Nfl if he plays his entire career at three, thirty.
Speaker 8: He'll he'll be a beast in the weight room and you, know continue to, grow continue to.
Speaker 7: Develop but, yeah he's not a he's not a sloppy three thirty.
Speaker 1: The bengals are looking for an interior pass. Rush does he consistently push the pocket or is he more of a run.
Speaker 6: Stopper?
Speaker 8: Oh, no he can push the.
Speaker 7: Pocket and one of the great things about him, is especially if If trey ends, up.
Speaker 8: You, know playing for The bengals next, YEAR i think he's a great one two. Punch not only can.
Speaker 7: He push the pocket by swim spin and you, know elite get, off he does a great job of working with other defensive linemen and setting up twists and whether it's et, te he.
Speaker 8: Works really well in that.
Speaker 7: Situation and and so you compare him with a guy Like Trey hendrickson and really do some. Damage but if he doesn't get home and and he's just relying on brute, force he's got such a. Wingspan one of the great attributes he gave This michigan team was being able to bat balls down so he.
Speaker 8: Can get after the.
Speaker 7: Quarterback if he doesn't get, home he could still affect passes and passing lanes by getting some of those big paws.
Speaker 1: Up last, thing what what type of long term future do you see For Kenneth.
Speaker 7: OH i think he's a guy that's going to play a decade or, longer and he could develop into A Pro bowl caliber defensive. Tackle Jim harbaugh when he was here mentioned it at the. Time he's you look at, him you see, him and you see all the physical. Traits he really Is god's gift of. FOOTBALL i, mean he could be an elite defender on the. Inside it's going to take some time to get, there but that's the.
Speaker 1: Potential Connor, rodgers a draft expert FROM Nbc, sports has The bengals Picking, grant whose number twenty five overall according To brugler and number thirty according To Jeremiah. Up, next edge Defender Mike green From. Marshall here's the voice of The Thundering, Herd Steve. Cotton Steve Mike green led THE fbs with seventeen sacks this. Year describe what made him so dominant for The Thundering Herd.
Speaker 9: Well he played two years At, marshall one in largely a backup.
Speaker 2: Role dan came off the pine on.
Speaker 9: Pass rush, situations that kind of, thing and then became a star this. Year, Now, marshall his previous year had some betteran defensive ends who were among the school's all time leaders in several of those categories sacks and whatever, included so he had to bide his.
Speaker 2: Time he didn't get.
Speaker 9: Frustrated he knew we all knew that he was an unbelievable pass. Rusher you watch him just go through a few minutes of pass.
Speaker 6: Rush rills and dan he is lightning.
Speaker 2: Quick that was never a.
Speaker 9: Question as you got into this season and you he was going to be called upon to be out there for every. Down is he good enough against the run to be a superstar kind of.
Speaker 2: Player or what's it going to be like when.
Speaker 9: He's getting the attention and the double team and people chipping him all the. Time and he more than stepped up for all of. That he had one of the most amazing. Years you mentioned number one in the nation in sacks and tackles for, loss but maybe if you dig a little deeper you notice even. More his tackle for loss yards were thirty yards more than number two in the. Nation his quarterback sack yards party two more than anybody else in the.
Speaker 3: Nation he is a big play.
Speaker 1: Guy that's good. Stuff he lacks ideal. Size he's six, three two fifty. One do you see that being at least a concern at the next?
Speaker 9: Level it was my concern SOMETHING i wonder. About, now it's one, play but he went viral at The Senior bowl when he Steamrolled oregon offensive Tackled Josh connery and you know three hundred pounder who is showing up in the first round in Several mott, drafts and he just ran right over him playing with. Him, now that's one, play but all year long he was matched up with those great big guys and he held his own. Physically now he made a lot of hay when they try to go one on, one not many did early in the. Year if you want to anybody who wants to go look just you can do an internet search Of mike green sack Versus Ohio, state and you see his ability in the open. Field they tried to go one on one with him and he went around another, Guy Josh, Fryer. Ohio say it's pretty good tackles and got to the. QUARTERBACK i don't know that prior much more.
Speaker 2: Than Touchdam and you can also go look if you are that.
Speaker 9: Interested at The Virginia tech, Game marshall played at or In, blacksburg and he had a couple of sacks in that game that really show the motor AND i think this was maybe the thing that you come to appreciate watching him day in and day. Out they were plays where he was double, teamed he got knocked away from the, play but then the quarterback starts, scrambling and he never gave up on.
Speaker 2: It one he got knocked off his feet still ends up making a. Sack so it's. Constant it's the. Motor he didn't get frustrated.
Speaker 9: When most of the year he's the guy who's being double, teamed and he still came, up like we, said seventeen sacks most of.
Speaker 2: The, nation even though he had all that attention focused on.
Speaker 1: Him we're visiting With Marshall, Boys Steve. Cotton mike started Out. Virginia he had an assault allegation there that he denied at the. Combine he wasn't prosecuted for. It his coaches At virginia And marshall apparently give him strong character. Grades what did you observe from dealing with him over the past two.
Speaker 2: Seasons absolutely no.
Speaker 9: Problems not the first issue at all in dealing with him every week this, year he was requested by the, media you, know you got a guy who's going to be An All american, so and he was the first one to arrive for the weekly.
Speaker 2: Interview session during the week after the, game good, game bad, game win or.
Speaker 9: Loss he shows, up steps, up and he's a very thoughtful. Guy it's not the easy cliche answer With. Mike he asked the question and he might pause for a few seconds and then he gets you something that's a little more than you get.
Speaker 2: Most of the.
Speaker 9: Time and you, know by week, ten, twelve thirteen in the season that's getting kind of.
Speaker 2: Old but he was always.
Speaker 9: There with a smile on his face and was a top notch guy as far AS i was concerned in anything he dealt with on the media side of.
Speaker 1: Things If Trey hendrickson stays with The bengals And Mike green is on the opposite side of the defensive, line what would you expect for his impact on The bengals pass?
Speaker 9: RUSH i, think and again there's a question the. Size is he a first, down second down guy and he defended the run very well this, year AND i think at the senior bowlt that's where he saw his stock rise because Of bill saw what he would do against some.
Speaker 2: Of the best offensive.
Speaker 9: Linemens but when it's third and eight and you need a pass. Rush that's a GUY i would like out.
Speaker 2: There you're talking about The.
Speaker 9: Bengals, Dan i'm A michigan Or i'm a Lifelong lions, fan and when the season, ENDED i, Thought, WOW i wonder if he could drop down to you, know twenty eight to thirty where The lions might have a. Chance and all of a, sudden there's absolutely no opportunity to line him up Opposite Aiden. Hutchinson so maybe you have a good opportunity to for the double barrel pass.
Speaker 1: Rush several mock drafters have The bengals taking, green including the Athletics Nick. Baumgarter he's number ten on The Buglar top one hundred And jeremiah has him at number twenty. One up next or, again defensive Tackle Derek. Harmon he's number sixteen On Burglar's top one hundred and number twenty three On jeremiah's. List Here's Oregon ducks Expert Rob. Moseley. Rob according To Pro Football, focus no interior lineman put more pressure on the quarterback last year Than Derek harmon fifty five, pressures eleven more than any other defensive. Tackle Described derek and what makes him a Handful when you.
Speaker 2: Look at production like, THAT i, think and how it came. About two words coming to My one is.
Speaker 10: ATHLETICISM i, mean he's just really explosively athletic and so really able to get off the ball, quick you, know slice through the, line you, know try to be double teams that, way or you, know uses a array of moves one on one to beat guys.
Speaker 2: Down and the other thing is he's just.
Speaker 10: RELENTLESS i, mean the guy just goes and goes and, goes and so you, know you combine those two things and it just really made him a tear in the middle of the. Line you, know he's just a one year guy here obviously At, oregon but, absolutely you, know met the, expectations if not exceeded.
Speaker 3: Them for what The ducks are looking for in the middle of their line last.
Speaker 1: Year from What i've, read his weight has fluctuated over the. Years apparently he was about three hundred and fifty pounds at the start of his college. Career have you heard anything that would lead you to believe that conditioning might be a. CONCERN i have.
Speaker 2: Not you, know, again you KNOW i was only around, him.
Speaker 10: You, know one, year and really that just means a few. Months SO i don't really have a great sense for. THAT i, mean he is a guy who he's a little bit top heavy in his. Build you, know he's a guy when he first walked up to, him there's a guy with much bigger, bases but it doesn't seem to impact him on the field at. All the fact that he's you, know he doesn't have maybe quite as wide a base as some other.
Speaker 2: Guys, yeah COULD i COULD i.
Speaker 10: See his top half fluctuating a little, bit, sure but you know that could depend too on what what kind of a role he wants him to play and what makes the most sense for the side he plays.
Speaker 1: At from what you've heard and. Observed how is his attitude and leadership?
Speaker 2: Qualities, uh definitely from WHAT i could, tell more of a quiet reserve.
Speaker 10: GUY i, MEAN i think a lot Of dvinman Interior devinment tend to be that way, anyway kind of the strength silotypes in my, experience you, Know and again a guy who came in just for a. Year this is An oregon team that had some established. Leadership particularly you, know we had a linebacker Named Jeff bossa who had who was a senior last year and is now looking to be a prospect. Himself who Was he was really the. Voice he was the quarterback of the, defense AND i think everybody looked at him to be that. Guy SO i, think particularly a one year guy Like Derek, harmon wasn't going to come in and be asked or expected to really have a major. Voice but you, know a guy who just went to work set the tone, again was relentless in his work ethic and so you know that that can be a leadership quality there as.
Speaker 1: Well it sounded like he missed a few, Tackles was that what you? Observed you, know.
Speaker 10: This was an organ team that didn't do a whole lot of, That so that didn't really jump out of. Me you, KNOW i don't attrack things as closely as, like, yeah like a pro football focused so. There you, know there might be some data out there that suggests, that but you, KNOW i didn't watch this team or this player last year and think that was a major glaring.
Speaker 1: Issue final question For Rob moseley from goduts dot. Com do you expect him to be a contributor in THE nfl right away or would The bengals have to be Patient if he is indeed their selection at number.
Speaker 11: Seventeen, overall you, KNOW i just got to think a guy that's played as much football as him to this point in his career is ready to make that next step in a way that.
Speaker 10: Some you, know younger guys who were more you, know projectable. Prospects you, know it's all about the fit guy goes into and as system he's gonna, play and how he fits with the coaching staff and the. Teammates you, know you, know those are such huge contributing factors.
Speaker 2: To a question like.
Speaker 10: That BUT i just, think, again with the body of work under his belt at this, point he's as close to his finish a college, PRODUCT i think as you'd probably be able to.
Speaker 1: Find Marcus moser from the thirty third team Dot com Has cincinnati Taking. Harmon there's a cornerback who generally isn't still on the board at number, seventeen but when he's dropped that, far he's been The bengals pick on a few Mocks Michigan's Will. Johnson once. Again Here's wolverine's radio Analyst John. Jansen John The bengals love drafting defensive players From, michigan And Will johnson could be. Next he's big at six two one ninety. Four he was the DEFENSIVE mvp of The National Championship game a couple of years. Ago give us Your scott and report On.
Speaker 7: Will he's got all the physical attributes that you want in a shutdown corner and a guy that can't come up and support the. Run he's an aggressive style and which has that aggressive style.
Speaker 8: Has led to some.
Speaker 7: Injuries so there's a lot that you physically get from, him and on the on the mental side of, things he is one of the most prepared individuals That i've ever been around in regards to just making sure that he understands, formations personnel, groups, motions how that affects, him what is.
Speaker 8: Coming and you.
Speaker 7: Look at a couple of the pick sixes he had this, year it was like he was standing in their. Huddle he knew what was. Happening he baided the, quarterbacks and he made some. Plays the question is going to be how durable is? He and and that's the question that really only he can answer or the doctors that that that treated him over the past couple of. Years he's never played a full season in Ann, arbor but but when he's on the, field he is one hundred percent a difference.
Speaker 1: Maker how does he compare To Dax hill AND Dj turner in terms of his readiness to play right?
Speaker 2: Away? Oh he.
Speaker 8: IS i, mean if.
Speaker 7: He's, healthy you put him on the field and you forget about. Him he's a day one. Starter he's got you, know he's GOT nfl, speed he's GOT nfl strength and. Size he's got the confidence to go in, there and a lot of that preparation plays into his. Confidence but he's a guy THAT i would expect to be, your you, know number one or number two corner as soon as that season.
Speaker 1: STARTS i read one scout who said he reminds him Of patrick Sir, tan which is legitimate praise considering he was THE Nfl Defensive player of The year last. Year do you see him being an ELITE nfl corner or somebody that you know you can pretty much rely on to be one of your top two corners going.
Speaker 3: FORWARD i think you.
Speaker 7: CAN i don't know that you can ever sit there and say a kid coming out of college that you can.
Speaker 8: Rely on them to be an elite.
Speaker 7: Corner he's got every tool that you would need to be a certain type of, player AND i think the one thing that people don't realize with because he is a little bit of a longer. Corner when he's, running you don't really get a true idea of how fast he. Is and when he's on the field a lot of times he's one of the fastest, players if not the fastest. Players so he can Cover Mandon, man he can be a right step per step with all those speedy, receivers and if he has a ball in his hands and he's in the.
Speaker 8: Open, field no one's going to catch.
Speaker 7: Him SO i do see him as a guy that has that certain type of.
Speaker 1: Potential johnson is number eighteen on The Burglar top one hundred and number fourteen On Daniel jeremiah's. List another defensive tackle that's frequently been mocked to The bengals Is Walter nolan from Ole, miss number thirty one on The brugler. Line it's been a little higher at number twenty eight For. Jeremiah Here's Stephen, willis the host of The lockedown Ole miss. Podcast Stephen Walter nolan is six y, four about three hundred. Pounds he's coming off a great year at Ole, miss where he had six and a half sacks and was a Consensus All. American give us your description Of walter after watching him play four.
Speaker 6: That's my description Of walter every day in.
Speaker 12: Practice it seems like there would be a video of him Basically Reggie, whiting some college offensive lineman off the. Field he's got all the mobility and all the intangibles that go with defensive, linemen but his strength is what's going to make him a lot of money at the next.
Speaker 1: LEVEL i Love Reggie whiting as an. Adjective is his motor consistent or does he turn it on and?
Speaker 12: Off he played really hard this. Year he had a reputation when he came To Ole miss.
Speaker 9: As somebody that took plays.
Speaker 6: Off he didn't really see.
Speaker 12: That At Old, miss and at times he was completely domin it and the other team's offensive line they were just limited in what they could, do and that was because of That Ole miss defensive line Of Walter nowen right next to A Prince leamont Miel and those two together kind of were Nice Batman robin.
Speaker 2: Combination but the success that he.
Speaker 6: HADN'T i don't think he took stuff.
Speaker 1: Off The bengals are looking for an interior pass, rush would he provide?
Speaker 12: It, yes, absolutely he is somebody that does something every time you watch him that is just going to be new and jump off the. Page really great player and an excellent ambassador for whatever program he's attached. With he was a fan favorite In, Oxford mississippi when he was there for his.
Speaker 2: Year and at this POINT i can't figure.
Speaker 12: Out why he wasn't more productive as a freshman and a sophomore At TEXAS A and m.
Speaker 1: All, Right i'm glad you said that because he's well. Traveled he played in three high schools in a couple of. Colleges is that a red flag at? All or are you hearing any other character type concerns That bengals fan should be aware.
Speaker 12: Of bengals fans shouldn't worry about character at all when it comes To Walton. Nowen when he went through high, school it was at the very beginning of THE nil, period and that was just starting in college, football and he ended up bouncing around in high schools and all, that mainly because colleges were trying to position themselves in his.
Speaker 3: Recruitment and in the.
Speaker 12: End The Olive, Branch mississippi kid came home To, Oxford. Mississippi Allive branch is about an hour away From. Oxford that last move was more about coming home than anything. Else and LIKE i, said he was a fan favorite Around, Oxford. Mississippi and when he's, comfortable he's really.
Speaker 1: Good he's three hundred. Pounds any worry about how he'll stand up TO nfl power as an interior, Alignment, NO i think.
Speaker 12: His strength makes up for his weight a little. Bit And i'm sure he's going to put on a little bit of. Weight and once he gets into the league and gets in that consistent strength program that is kind of known for in creating defensive, LINEMEN i think that strength until then will be a nice bridge against the.
Speaker 3: Run and he is.
Speaker 12: He's a dancing bear a little. Bit as far as his feet going around on the defensive, line pass rush is not going to be a.
Speaker 1: Problem Steven willis from The Lockdown Ole miss podcast is our. Guest the draft is hard to. Project what kind OF nfl career do you Expect walter to have both short term and long? Run?
Speaker 12: Listen ole miss has twelve players that have some semblance of draft buzz this, Year but if you told me one player off of Ole missus roster became the superstar in THE nfl in this class Is Walter.
Speaker 1: Nolan early in the mock draft, process it seemed Like Walter nolan was frequently going to The bengals In round. One that hasn't been the case as much, recently although he was the pick in a Recent Pro Football focus. Mock we're a little more than halfway through the, list and here's a quick reminder that The Bengals booth podcast is brought to you By Corps proud to be The bengals OFFICIAL hr software, provider By Alta fiber Future proof Fiber internet designed elevate your, home business and community to a new, level and By Kettering health the Best care for the best. Fans Kettering health is the official healthcare provider of The. Bengals another edge defender is Next James pierce From, tennessee number thirty six on The Brugler top one hundred and number twenty six according To. Jeremiah Here's Brent, hubbs the publisher of one of the top websites For tennessee volunteers fans vulquest dot. Com, brent The bengals need to improve their pass. Rush James pierce was among the best in THE sec had one hundred and seven pressures in seventeen and a half sacks over the last couple of. Years how would you Describe James.
Speaker 6: PIERCE i think he has the terrific first.
Speaker 13: STEP i think his first step is what makes him.
Speaker 6: Elak just an explosion that he has with his first.
Speaker 13: STEP i think he can still become a.
Speaker 2: Little bit more.
Speaker 13: Bendable he bends pretty, good BUT i think it's his first step that helps that out a little. Bit and obviously he's got to play the run a little bit. Better but in terms of coming in and rushing the, passer he can cause, problems create. Pressures he can finish a little. Better he did not finish as well as past year as he did the previous.
Speaker 6: Year but it's that first step that is the. Player is the moment that gets everybody's.
Speaker 1: Attention let me follow up on his ability to defend the. Run he's slightly less than two hundred and fifty pounds at least that's what he was measured at the. Combine is he big enough to play the run or will he mostly be a pass rush.
Speaker 4: SPECIALIST i think early in his, Career, dan he's probably a pass rush specialist who will continue to grow into defending the. Run he defended the run better in twenty four than he did in twenty, three SO i think he's made improvements there.
Speaker 6: AND i think he can play the.
Speaker 13: Run but he's going to come, in i, think initially in this league and in the, league and be a pass rush specialist first and, foremost and then it, grows you, know potentially out of that with him as he continues to learn and grow into. Games so it's, there he's physically capable of doing. IT i think it's a little bit of understanding and continuing to grow and understanding the leverage in the run.
Speaker 4: Game he did a nice job at times this year in the run.
Speaker 6: Game james's biggest issue is when he.
Speaker 4: Ever he gets into a, situation he tries to free lance a little.
Speaker 13: Bit he can get himself in. Trouble tennessee's also played him some in. Space they dropped him into some coverage and he can play sideline to sideline, well so he's got some versatility to him other than just pinning his ears back and forwarding the.
Speaker 1: Quarterback Brent hubbs is our. Guest there are apparently some character concerns Where james is. Concerned ONE nfl scout said the following he's on his own, program the whole team's working, out and he is in his. Apartment what did you hear and what did you?
Speaker 8: Observe you, KNOW i did.
Speaker 13: Not hear specifics of him missing a bunch of time or missing time with his, team are blowing off his team or anything like. That the consistent message you've heard From James pier About James peers from day one here is That james has to be a better pro and that means conducting his business seven days a, week three hundred and sixty five days a year as a as a pro. Player AND i think there are Times james did go a little bit on his own and do some things and probably was late for some stuff when he didn't need to be late for some, stuff.
Speaker 6: AND i think it was just more of a maturity.
Speaker 13: THING i think That james in THE, nfl it changes for everybody because the money's not. Guaranteed he got a big nil deal his last year here guaranteed money obviously because can't pay for, play so it's not like he had to hit incentives or bonuses to do.
Speaker 4: That it changes when it becomes a business in The National Football, league AND i Think james's.
Speaker 13: Challenge is going to be to be a pro every. DAY i think anybody who Knows james or has dealt With james will tell you, that and that's what we'll. SEE i think that's the red. Flag it's not that it's a criminal. Thing it's not that he is a.
Speaker 6: Big locker room, problem or he fights with his teammates or any of those.
Speaker 4: Things it's just he's got to be more mature every day as a, professional and that's his.
Speaker 1: Challenge final question For Brad, hubbs if you had to predict HIS nfl, future what do you think it's going to look.
Speaker 13: LIKE i think That james is if he's in the right, situation meaning he's got some veterans around him who can mentor, him and he's got a veteran experienced defensive line coach and not a younger.
Speaker 6: PLAYER i Think james can be a really.
Speaker 13: Good pass rusher in The National Football league who can play multiple. Downs but if he's not in a good situation where there's a lot of mentorship for him early, on THEN i think you wonder about the maturity level and how much of a pro he's going to, be and what's the.
Speaker 6: Fight to get him to be that.
Speaker 4: Way, Now i've been around a lot of guys who have come through The university Of tennessee WHO i would tell you are in a very similar shape than That James pierce is from a maturity, standpoint who went on to be really, productive really good players in The National Football.
Speaker 6: League out of.
Speaker 14: Respect for, THEM i won't name their, names but there are certainly guys WHO i would put in the same maturity category As James, pearce who went on to play, eight, ten twelve years in.
Speaker 3: The National Football.
Speaker 2: League so is there some risks?
Speaker 13: There probably not a whole lot more than anybody. Else but you have to understand going in.
Speaker 4: You're going to have to do some work with him from a maturity, standpoint and not just handing the keys and, say hey, man you're our edge, guy go get.
Speaker 6: It he's going to have to learn to grow to be a pro every, day.
Speaker 4: Because that's What tennessee's been trying to do with him since he got To.
Speaker 13: Tennessee he's better now that he was his first year or two.
Speaker 6: At, tennessee but there's still another step for.
Speaker 1: Him pierce is another player who seemed to be getting mocked to The bengals more frequently a few weeks ago than he is. Now he is the most recent projection at number seventeen overall By Jason pruitt Of Draft. Plex we profiled safety Nick Emon warrri. Earlier there's another safety getting a lot Of bengals, Buzz George's Malachi, starks a three year starter and a two time first Team All. American Former bulldogs QUARTERBACK Dj shockley is part of The georgia radio broadcast.
Speaker 15: Crew it starts with who this guy is to come in and play In Kirby smart's defense at that safety spot that they asked him to play it as a true freshman and to put the numbers he.
Speaker 2: Did you mentioned it being a two.
Speaker 15: Time All, american and he is one of the smartest guys That i've been around that plays that. Position AND i think when you play safety At georgia and you play safety For Kirby, smart it adds a little bit extra to your plate because of the guy who's.
Speaker 2: Coaching actually played that, position.
Speaker 15: And the guy is probably one of those kind of kids that you know as a, father you, LIKE i hope my daughter gets a chance to date this guy BECAUSE i know who he.
Speaker 2: Is and what he's. About that's kind of person you like in character you get from A malachi starts and then you talk about what he can do on the. FIELD i think this guy's the.
Speaker 15: LIMIT i think he probably played every position besides nose tackle on His georgia. Defense he was you, know, rushing he was you, know a, linebacker he played their star, position he.
Speaker 2: Played the deep. Hole he did a little bit of every day for.
Speaker 15: Him AND i think that versatility is what makes him so special is you.
Speaker 2: Can put him. Anywhere he can cover.
Speaker 15: People he's got great ball skills and the guy understands the, game can cover the can cover as good as. Anybody but also if he's in that deep, third, uh he's got really great. Range so this guy has everything you want from a prototypical.
Speaker 2: Safety BUT i think the biggest thing is this guy's a.
Speaker 15: Leader he brings everybody with him and he wants the best for everybody around, him and he will always push the guys around.
Speaker 1: Him you've played, quarterbacks so you can recognize the safety that can diagnose offenses and understand what they're trying to. Do how Is malachai in that.
Speaker 15: Area, yeah that's a great point BECAUSE i think that's what you have to do in the next.
Speaker 2: Level you better have have some kind of recognition of what's to.
Speaker 15: Come and this is a guy Who i've sat down with the defensive quarter of The Glenn shoeman At Jordan ford and we went through certain. Days he, says Watch malakai. Here you can see him point our. Stuff you can see him get guys in. Place you can see him point out different formations and where the motion's coming.
Speaker 2: From and what's coming out of. It and just talking with, him.
Speaker 15: You understand he speaks the language first, off but then he understands what the offices are trying to.
Speaker 2: Do AND i.
Speaker 15: Think a lot of people you, know go back to high. School when this guy played, quarterback gots played. Everything so that tells you he's smart enough that he knows what officer are trying to. Do but he played a, position but he also played on that, side so it gives him a little bit of an advantage once he plays that safety.
Speaker 2: Spot so he's excited to.
Speaker 15: Watch he's one of those guys THAT i think will be really smart with able to diagnose.
Speaker 2: It to recognized and then.
Speaker 15: Be able to have that reaction to go get it and that's what makes HIM i think special.
Speaker 1: Too do you think he's ready to start as a rookie or would he be better off at least beginning in nickel and dime packages and learning from.
Speaker 3: Vets now Got.
Speaker 2: Starts is a day one.
Speaker 15: Starter this guy has the, tools he has the warrif all to come. In he's gonna come in day one and he's probably gonna be the first one, in the last one, out and he wants to be a. Sponge he will learn from everybody around. Him he will ask questions the lore AND i think this guy day one will be a starter for whoever he ends up going to simply because of that. Feature now he has all the flayers in the, world but he also has it, upstairs AND i think that's what's really going to get him on the field really, quickly is his ability to.
Speaker 2: Learn defenses and play at a high.
Speaker 15: Level SO i Speak Malacho starks day one of THE nfl season to be in the.
Speaker 1: Lineup walterfootball Dot com And Nick wright From Fox sports both have The bengals Taking starks in their most recent mock. Drafts starts is number nineteen on The briggler list and number twenty Nine according To, jeremiah there are three players, left and next on the list is a guy who stole the show at THE Nfl combine this, Year TEXAS a and M, Edge Shamar. STEWART i caught up with the voice of The, Aggies Andrew. Monaco Andrew shamar is six, five two. Seventy he ran a four five ninety at The. Combine he did a four the inch vertical. Leap how would you Describe Shamar stewart's raw?
Speaker 2: Talent?
Speaker 16: Freakish, Right that's the word that we keep, hearing don't we dan freakish For Schamar, stewart AND i just you, KNOW i couldn't be happier for. Him he wasn't happy with his season a couple of seasons, ago and he really dedicated himself to not just the talent of what he was going to do next, level but to help the.
Speaker 2: Team and this Guy.
Speaker 16: Mike elko had brought in Before mike goes To duke and then comes back To TEXAS.
Speaker 2: A and m knows all about. Him he absolutely rewarded him for. That i'm excited.
Speaker 16: About what's next For Schamar. Stewart he did everything that he could possibly do At TEXAS. A AND. M AND i don't want to say play out of, position but he got.
Speaker 2: The chance to play inside and.
Speaker 16: OUTSIDE i think kind of understand what his teammates are doing and how they all work in concert up. Front But i'm really excited About Schamar stewart in THE. NFL i REALLY i think he's going to be very similar To Eddrian cooper At Green, bay Where edrin blossomed very late At TEXAS a AND, m and then when it all clicked for, him he's just taken off on the next.
Speaker 1: Level so the question mark is obviously the. Production it did not match the, potential at least in terms of. Sacks he had one and a half in each of his three. Seasons why do you think that was the.
Speaker 2: CASE i think there's a combination of a couple of.
Speaker 16: THINGS i think there are some mistackles which he can always work on and clean up a little, bit and you, know once you wrap.
Speaker 2: Up you've got to take.
Speaker 16: Down but he is Disruptive dan to tell you the, truth And Mike oko has talked about. This he has been the defensive coordinator and head coach of some teams that they had a lot of, sacks but they didn't have the disruption or get a quarterback out of. Rhythm so you leave the game, going, wow we had six sacks, yet but we just didn't do what we wanted to do on. DEFENSE i Think shamar now gives you that. DISRUPTION i think he's A those tackles for, loss those quarterback hurries.
Speaker 2: Can be just as important.
Speaker 16: As the sacks team, wise individual, Wise you're exactly.
Speaker 2: Right the numbers aren't. There BUT i think what he does with that front, four what.
Speaker 16: He does on his, own the way he learned to fight, through there'd be a little more attention to him as he got better and better and still put up those hurries and put up those. TFLs that's WHERE i think he kind of matured a little bit and saw how he.
Speaker 2: Could affect that.
Speaker 16: Game, no the sacks are, DOWN i agree with, that and there were some mistackles for, him BUT i think, OVERALL i think he can be a disruptive end for.
Speaker 1: Sure i've read that his nickname was or is the menace for how hard he. Plays how would you describe the motor.
Speaker 2: Always?
Speaker 9: Running AND i think he had to learn that a little.
Speaker 16: Bit dan in fairness coming out Of South florida and so highly. Thought but when he comes onto the, campus he's working With Elijah robinson who's now.
Speaker 6: The defensive coordinator At Series use.
Speaker 16: And FORMER d lineman and a player here and a great one In Terry price who passed, away and there was that closeness And Terry price was always on, them like you would be out on that field and all of a sudden you would Hear terry's gruff, voice Where elijah was very much, hey this is what you can. DO i Thought elijah was always very positive and it was going to Take shamar a little.
Speaker 2: Bit he got to watch guys like come through.
Speaker 9: The program like recently for, Him.
Speaker 16: Bobby, Brown Justin, madabik those, guys and that's WHAT i think he aimed. For and then working in concerts with HIS d, lineman With Shamar, turner With Nick, gordon With cash As how AND i love what he did with the young. Guys and because Of chamar being the menace and going all out all the time and competing every day in, PRACTICE i think that's going to be some of the residue with guys LIKE Dj hicks who's, here And Rylan kennedy And Solomon.
Speaker 2: Williams that's gonna Rub. OFF i don't Think.
Speaker 16: Shamar stewart was doing that when he first got. HERE i think he learned that once he stepped off that, field that it's how you. Compete monday Through friday is going to tell you how successful you're going to be on A.
Speaker 1: Saturday how is he versus the run getting better getting better?
Speaker 16: AGAIN i Think, DAN i think that's where what he had to learn that you, know when you're in high, school you're.
Speaker 2: Just more athletic than everybody.
Speaker 16: Else guess, What you're not as athletic as everyone when you first come into THE. Sec this is WHAT i love About Shamar stewart IS i think he can go sideline the sideline and there are many times that you would see him track someone. DOWN i know it's not against the, run and again it's the wrapping up ability that's that's that's going to be that next step for. Him and also knowing what lanes and camp freelance at, times AND i think he's going to learn to be more of a pass rusher Where Nick gorton has that when he came in From.
Speaker 9: Purdue but the one play that sticks.
Speaker 16: Out to me About shamarsh And Mike elko talks about in any big, play whether it's a running back on in for a touchdown or this was an interception At, florida he talks about the men of the. Ten, Well Bryce anderson gets the, interception but of the men of the, ten his leading blocker going into the end zone With Shimar stuart from his defensive line, position he outran everybody to make sure he That Bryce anderson was part of that.
Speaker 2: CONVOY i love that. SPEED i think he's got that strength.
Speaker 16: Now utilizing it all, together And i'm excited about what he has learned here at AN m but what he's going to learn as well with some technique next level can really make him.
Speaker 1: Effective, andrew here's my final. Question the last defensive end that The bengals selected in the first round Was Miles murphy out Of clemson a couple of years. Ago he hasn't contributed that much so. Far The bengals are hopeful that this will be a breakout year for. Him do you View schamar as A day one contributor or will it require some?
Speaker 2: Patients, yea and.
Speaker 16: It might require a little bit of, Patience but that's always hard if you're going to select a first, rounder right they have to be.
Speaker 2: THERE i Think Shamar, STEWART.
Speaker 16: I think once he, LEARNS i think he can.
Speaker 2: Contribute.
Speaker 16: Now he was part of That CLEMSON d line that was, outstanding, right like everybody went into THE nfl that was great and.
Speaker 2: A way to work in.
Speaker 16: CONJUNCTION i feel the same way About Shamar stewart working with HIS d line and how he didn't have to get worn down and be. FRESH i think he's so excited for his. FUTURE i think he's realizing that there's still some stuff.
Speaker 2: UNTAPPED i would certainly. Hope, look you never want to say he's A.
Speaker 16: Miles garrett, type Because miles the finished, product that's what we're. Seeing but When miles was At TEXAS a and m even he had to learn some, Things Von miller had to learn some things and then they. BLOSSOMED i certainly hope that's the same trajectory For Shamar.
Speaker 1: Stewart shamar is way up at number nine On Brugler's top one, hundred and he's number twenty seven on The Jeremiah. List he was The bengals pick in A Sports illustrated mock this. Week another edge defender is. Next Mikel williams out Of, georgia number twenty one On brugler's, list number twenty two according To Jeremiah once, again Here's bulldog's, BROADCASTER Dj SHOCKLEY. Dj Mikel williams is six' five two. Sixty plus he doesn't turn twenty one until. Next month he tested well at his. Pro day he had good but not exceptional stats. In college give us your scouting Report. On, mikel well here's the Thing.
Speaker 15: About mikeyah, first off you have to start up with. THE person i think that wasn't matters more than anything is the type of person he's going, to get the character he's going to bring to.
Speaker 2: Any organization he's a stand. Up guy i've known him since he walked through the doors as.
Speaker 15: A Freshman at Universe from georgia and have high expectations coming in and this guy lived.
Speaker 2: Up TOO and, i think you look at. The sign he is what, People.
Speaker 15: Say hey you want those kind of guys to get off.
Speaker 2: The bus they look good when they get off, the bus they look good in. The uniform but more, than that this guy gives you everything.
Speaker 15: He's got his, last year this past season wasn't his, best YEAR but i saw this guy fight.
Speaker 2: Through some MAJOR injuries i. Saw him, you.
Speaker 15: Know there could have been times where, he said you, KNOW what, I know i'm gonna be a high. DRAFT pick i can just sit this out and try to. Get healthy but he made a point to be.
Speaker 2: Out there with.
Speaker 15: His teammates but he also wanted to show the next LEVEL that i know it's gonna get a.
Speaker 2: Long season you gotta fight, through injuries and he.
Speaker 15: Did that he's a high, motor guy a guy who's good leen coming around. The edge they lined him up in multiple places At the University of georgia from inside to, the outside and.
Speaker 2: Would give me the opportunity to go one.
Speaker 15: ON one i think he's gonna be one of those guys that you look up later in, the, two three four years, and, say hey this guy's a double diggy sat guy SIMILAR to I Could, trayvon walker who didn't have a lot of big numbers coming Out, of georgia end up being a number, one pick but.
Speaker 2: End up, you know having a pretty good career. To start so he's.
Speaker 15: Gonna be one of those guys you'll love in the. Locker room but also it's gonna be a guy that shows up every day ready to work and will have the production if given.
Speaker 1: THE opportunity i noted that he's, Only twenty he's one of the younger guys in this. Draft class how much room is there, for growth both physically and in terms of learning.
Speaker 15: The, GAME yeah i still think there's tons. OF growth i think he's. STILL learning i think he's still learning how to use. His body like, you said he's only twenty and he's gonna be coming to this league where he's gonna be to learn a lot of. Different things he's gonna face a lot of. Different TACKLES but i think Development at georgia would be a. For, him obviously he didn't have to be the quote unquote ideal guy every single game he. Went OUT and i think that's what makes these guys so good who played On The kerby Schmart And, glenn schuman is, you know they, ask for, you know, high production but they don't ask you to have to do everything because they put these guys in so many. Different positions they play so, many guys and they want everybody to play at a. High LEVEL but i do believe this guy hasn't even reached the pinnacle of where he.
Speaker 2: Can't go he got some INJURIES like.
Speaker 15: I mentioned the last, few YEARS and i know that's a big part of it. As well but if this guy, is healthy you better look out because he will have one of THOSE phenomenal i think careers down the low to look at a guy who can look the part but also play the part.
Speaker 1: As Well the bengals often talk about trying to find guys that love the game and love? The grind does that describe mikel through?
Speaker 15: And THROUGH and, i think, YOU know i go back to you know where he's coming from and the guy that's, coached him and if you don't love, the game you're not gonna make it At the University, of Georgia And kirby smart is one of the mostly intense Guys that i've. Been around he actually coached me my, you know my Senior year georgia actually coach. Running backs and then obviously you know what he's done throughout his. Career now but you ask any guy who comes from that university that has practice For, coach smart you know exactly what. It's like and this guy gets everything out. Of you he push you to the limited in and you look up and across from you there as another five.
Speaker 2: Star guy so each and. Every day you compete against, the best and you're gonna.
Speaker 15: Get pushed and that's one Thing That kurby schmark doesn't care where you're, you know come in ranked that no matter you know how much, You play he's gonna push you to the limit to get the most out. Of YOU and i think that helps these guys once they go TO the nfl because they have already seen what it's, like to, you know be coach at a.
Speaker 2: High level but also play at a high level and be coached in the.
Speaker 15: Same way so the intensity that is, in practice the intensity that they bring in, THE game i think only you know creates the player you get once you get To The National.
Speaker 1: Football league last Thing about mike kel is he ready to play a big role right away or will a little patience?
Speaker 15: BE required i think a little patience who will be REQUIRED because i think he's going to be healthy, coming off but he's still got to learn. This game and as athletic and as talented, it is we Know That National football league is a little different of a beast and you got to figure out, the speed you got to figure out all the, different moves you got to, figure out, you know what offense are trying to do, to you and guys are just that much more talented now planning sec planning against some of the top players in.
Speaker 2: The country that.
Speaker 15: Will HELP but i still think that jumped To The National, football league you need a little, time to, you know get yourself ready. To GO but i think once he frees, it out he's a guy that's a.
Speaker 2: Quick learner he did It. AT georgia i think he.
Speaker 15: Do say In The National, FOOTBALL league, I mean i don't expect him come in and, you know gets full five secs in the, first GAME but i do expect him to have an impact and by in that, rookie season expects him to have, a huge, you know impact on whatever team he ends up.
Speaker 1: Being On pete CHRISCO From cbs sports is AMONG the nfl experts who Has the bengals Taking mikel williams, twelve down one. To go our, final player alphabetically is Offensive Lineman gray Zabel From North. Dakota, state ironically if he's picked By, the bengals he could be in line to replace his former College Teammate. Cordell vohlson Here's the bison's, Radio Voice, sam niederman just back From The white house after the team was honored for winning IT'S Tenth fcs. National Championship sam gray's abel started at every offensive line spot but center during his five Years At North. Dakota state he Was Consensus all american, last year and he apparently had a great week At The. Senior bowl what stood out to you about him as a person and from watching?
Speaker 2: Him, Play, yeah dan thanks for.
Speaker 17: Having me i'm excited to Talk about gray here and let some Of the bengals fans who might be curious know about somebody who's an absolute gem of a person and he's going to be a Great pro what.
Speaker 2: Stood out to me.
Speaker 17: Probably became most Apparent in december of twenty, twenty Three when gray decided he was going to STAY at ndsu despite getting a bunch of nil attention and offers from big power schools at the fbist level of. College, FOOTBALL well, i mean he was coming off of a really strong, junior season had played both guard and tackle and was actually snubbed in, my Opinion for all conference honors In The Missouri Valley football Conference Where North dakota, state plays and was really kind of under the radar from an, accolade standpoint but was definitely on the radar of.
Speaker 3: Some big suitors AT the. Fbs level he.
Speaker 17: Turned away big money and decided to come back for a. Senior year he wanted to play with his, younger Brother jet zabel was at tight End For North dakota state and was a freshman last Season when gray was a fifth.
Speaker 2: Year senior so when.
Speaker 17: He decided, to stay the loyalty stood out and he immediately endeared Himself To, bison nation our fans out here for just the willingness to buck, the, TREND right, i mean at this day and age of the transfer, portal nil especially in, college football the grass is usually greener, for most but it Wasn't for, gray's abele and he decided. To stay be advising and absolutely rocket as you just Outline Consensus.
Speaker 3: First Team all AMERICAN leads.
Speaker 17: Ndsu to ITS tenth fcs national championship in the last. Fourteen years was a left tackle and the anchor for the. OFFENSIVE line. A leader, I mean i'd say loyalty and leadership stand out the most when you're Talking About gray's abel for staying Here At North dakota state and just.
Speaker 3: His personality he held.
Speaker 17: Guys accountable he mentored along some younger offensive linemen this past year who are first. Year starters first guy to help up a quarterback after, a run first guy to be out there pushing the pile.
Speaker 3: For a running back after he's.
Speaker 17: Already downfield just the intangible qualities that you would want in an offensive lineman to help build around for. A franchise that's what stands out.
Speaker 1: To Me dan sammy's, six' six, so he's tall but he's not mammoth in. Terms of width he's listed at three hundred. And twelve pounds are there any concerns about his ability TO anchor? Against, NFL power.
Speaker 2: Yeah i think that would be. INTERESTING to watch i think.
Speaker 17: His versatility is the, calling card right especially during this draft cycle in the last. COUPLE of, months i mean he goes down to mobile and absolutely.
Speaker 3: Tears it Up At, the senior bowls some people.
Speaker 17: Said it was one of the best practice weeks they've seen from. An offensive Lineman At the senior Bowl He wins practice Player, of the week takes reps at every single offensive line position we, know, about center right He Played both garden TAPLE. Spots at ndsu CENTER is where i think A lot of nfl scouts feel, like he projects and certainly on the, interior in general as far as the width and being, ABLE to anchor i know he'd be able to adjust as. TIME goes on i think, he's a coachable versatile type of prospect that has taken to learning all five. Offensive line, spots you know the Cross TRAINING for india u offensive lineman Is tremendous ndsu as far as the, offensive line pedigree it goes back all The Way, to billy turner who is Selected by the dolphins in the third round back. In Twenty fourteen joe haig was, a veteran lineman Was With the indianapolis colts for a while and Then Here recently dylan raidents in. Twenty, Twenty one obviously bengals fans Are Familiar with cordell volson fourth round selection in, twenty twenty Two and then cody Malk Where The tampa bay buccaneers was picked in the second round. Twenty Twenty three so gray's kind of the next, iteration OF them and I would say dan he's the top prospect out of all of them in, terms of projections the technical things as far AS, TRANSLATED the nfl i think that will be something curious to watch once he finds.
Speaker 3: His landing spot.
Speaker 1: Job one in Cincinnati Is protecting joe burrow obviously. Is his, Strength, PASS protection yeah i thought he.
Speaker 17: Was terrific, at left tackle protecting The Blindside, for cam miller the NDS'S quarterback who i think will have a chance to go in the late rounds if NOT get a udfa opportunity with the TEAM In the, Nfl pass protext i'd.
Speaker 2: Say was definitely a. PLUS this year I really like gray in the run, block.
Speaker 17: GAME though, too i mean you want to talk about a, guy who's physical guy who's the hammer. Not the nail THAT'S something that i think stands out right away when. YOU watch him i mentioned earlier he'll always push the pile on. A blockdown field he's A guy that i think can really pave on, That interior too so.
Speaker 2: BOTH are standout i think he really.
Speaker 17: Jumped off the Page two to Bison Head, coach tim polisek who has coached some of the league's best offensive lineman going back to His tenure at iowa when He Was a hawk guys. Offensive line Coach He, coached tristan wurs who just happens to be the highest Paid In The national football League. With the Buccaneers Also Coached tyler Lindon. Brams with baltimore THEY'RE in The afc norths so this is a guy who's Been the next buison To play On Sundays of coach paulisek made mention of that at this time last year when we're getting ready for, our spring game and it was obviously evident in. His Senior year so i'd say both they run the run blocking game and his past.
Speaker 2: Pro are excellent i'd give a slight edge to. The.
Speaker 1: Run game sam here's. My Final question kevin zeitler is the Only guard the bengals have ever drafted in the first round. In their history so If they take gray in, the first round they are expecting him To be a. Day one starter do you see him as a Plug and play day one STARTER In The, afc north, Oh.
Speaker 17: Without, Question, WITHOUT question dad i think it would, be pretty historic Obviously from a bengals perspective And From A north. Dakota, STATE perspective, right i mean you're talking about a program that has produced multiple draft picks and it's good vision one.
Speaker 2: Era and most notably at the.
Speaker 17: Quarterback position with first Round Picks and Carson Wentz and trey lance going to, the. Top five respectively but it's never been done by a non quarterback, for this program and it's never.
Speaker 2: Been done by an.
Speaker 17: OFFENSIVE lineman Yet i think gray's abel is that guy to break through and Become the third day ONE pick, in ndsu.
Speaker 2: History and To be a, day one starter and to do it.
Speaker 3: Potentially IN The.
Speaker 17: Rugged afc north, As, You know dan he's absolutely cut.
Speaker 3: Out for.
Speaker 17: It HIS intangibles like i said in, your first question that's the first thing that stands. OUT his, personality i mean we were Just At the white house this week and seeing Him meet the president and smile. AND his wit i think that's stuff that translates into. The locker, room his. MATURITY his leadership i think the technical stuff that needs to be.
Speaker 2: Developed will be. Developed and coached but he is ready.
Speaker 17: AND he is i think he's going to be a plug and play player No matter.
Speaker 1: Where ian's up gray was recently Mocked to the Bengals By. ESPN's field yates he's number thirty Two On the brugler top one hundred and number Twenty four. On jeremiah's rankings that's going. To do it for this Episode Of The bengals booth podcast brought to You, By pay core proud To be THE bengals official, hr Software Provider by alta fiber Future proof fiber internet designed to, elevate your home business and community to, a new Level And by kettering health the best care for. The Best fans kettering health is the official healthcare Provider. Of the bengals if you haven't, done so already please subscribe to this podcast and if you, have a minute give it a rating or share a comment That helps more bengals. Fans Find Us i'm dan hord and thanks For Listening To THE bengals booth podcasta