Speaker 1: Just wanted to cook at gold.
Speaker 2: How's it going, everybody? Welcome back? All right? Yankees win this one game one hundred and seventeen in the books. The Yankees win their second straight against the Braves, five to four. And you know that's something that can happen when you're on a winning streak, is that when it finally gets snapped, you can lose a couple of games in a row. We've seen it happen to the Yankees before, and it has happened to the Braves who had one to eight straight before coming to Yankee Stadium. And the Yankees, despite not getting a lot of offense in this series, have managed to get enough, just enough to win last night and tonight. And Chris Saylee, one of the best pitchers in baseball, just simply nasty, Just a simply nasty pitcher. He's lanky, his delivery is funky, and he's just been doing it a long time, so he knows how to win. I did not have a lot of confidence in the Yankees, in the lefties to get it done against him today, but hey, they surprised the hell out of me. And a great job by the Anks. And Garrett Cole was fantastic today, picks up win number six, lowers his era to three point three to five. David Bednar picks up save number twenty six.
Speaker 3: He's got titanium nuts.
Speaker 2: Very good day for Spencer Jones, who had a multiple multiple hit game. He also had a triple, a couple of RBIs, a run scored, a stolen base. George Lombard Junior hit his second home run. He had a multi hit game. A Kunya hit a line drive home run for the Braves, but a couple of stories were won. The absolutely phenomenal game by Garrett Cole. Just throw a gem. Ben Rice broke out of his slump a little bit last night with the shot off the wall, and today maybe getting back into the groove a little bit, he hit a four hundred and thirty one foot home run to straightaway center field. I mean that is real power. You don't see a lot of lefties do that. Home run number thirty two on the season. Uh. He has been uh slumping badly. So that was a big, big home run for mister Ben Rice, and I think it's time to talk good bad in the Ugly.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: Paul Goldsmith had a knock today. Elliott Ramos was OH for four. Ben Rice with the home run, was one for four. Amed Rosario was OH for three. Trent Grisham one for four with a double, Lombard Junior fantastic game, two for three, Spencer Jones two for three. I didn't expect the lefties to be as good as they were today. Both Grisham and Spencer Jones had some good at bats against Chris sale cab i Ara oh for three. He gets the silver sombrero. He did have a stolen base, and Austin Wells one for two with another double. He went opoh with a double down the left field line. He also had a stolen base for the Braves. Drake Baldwin had a base hit. Ronald Acunya with the home run That was his only hit of the day. A tough day from Matt Olsen, he went over four. Michael Harris won for four, Ozzie Albie's one for four. H Dubond had a double, Yastremsky had a double, Riley had a knock. Jim Jarvis had to hit Dominic Smith with a pinch hit RBI single, But the Yankees edge out the Braves. That is the good, the bad, and the ugly. Raymond Vellens' Cabby is playing like he's angry. I don't blame him. You know, he was a certain shortstop for a while and then a kid comes up and snatches it. What a job by Lombard. Those are the breaks. I mean, that's life in Major League Baseball. You know there's gonna be players that come up and if they outplay you, they're gonna take the job. And Lombard has done that. So far. He has been brilliant so far, hitting three eighty five with a one point three four to six OPS and a one eighty six WRC plus. Today he went opo bopo for his second home run. He has been dynamic at shortstop, almost automatic, I mean, smooth as silk, unbelievable arm. What can you say about the kid? He's ready. The question was whether or not his offense was gonna be ready, because the reports coming out of the minor leagues were that he was a tremendous defensive player that he could step in and be top of the depth chart at shortstop. Day one, The question was would he hit enough? And so far, I've seen line drives, I've seen home runs. The kid looks comfortable. What can you say, and Spencer Jones, we got to talk about him. I'm just impressed about what he did against the lefty. He was zero for nineteen coming into this game, and then he gets two hits off of the lefty, raised his average up to two seventeen. I mean, the number is still not outrageously good, but he's still, you know, young and inexperienced, and but we saw him stay in there today. He wasn't taking wild swings. He took more controlled swing and if he does that, he's gonna have success. He's one of these guys who's naturally going to create leverage with his size and his arm length that if he connects, he is going to drive the baseball. He does not need to swing out of his shoes or in most instances, out of his helmet right as we uh, I'm sorry, coicked the wrong button there. Take a look at the box score in this game, so you see the pulsating bombs from Rice and Lombard and Acuna. Those were the three home runs. The Yankees did have eight hits in this game. They struck out quite a bit, but you'll get these averages. It's it's pretty tough to watch some of these averages here you got two thirty one, ten, two seventeen, one seventy three. Hopefully they can put something together and ride things out until the big bets come back. Cole with a great job, seven innings of two run, balls, struck out nine, didn't walk anybody. I'll break him down more later. Brent gave up the rare earned run today, Blackburn got it out and Bednar got the save. Extra base hits for Grisham and Wells and Jones, and home runs for Lombard and Rice, and the Yankees improved to sixty six and fifty one. There fifteen games over five hundred with this win. All right, second, a few comments here. Raymonds, Raymond's on a roll today, says no jazz equals win. Yikes. Jay Snow says, this team always strikes out a lot. We'll get to the breakdown. Let's go ahead and go to the nitty gritty here, So go figure. Baseball is one of these games where just stuff that you're not expecting can happen. And today you got two of your coldest hitters, Jones who was over nineteen and Grisham, who I think he was like nine for seventy four or something like some ridiculous number. Both got hits off of Chris Sale. You had the double, which is not a good pitch by Grisham, you know, but or not a good pitch by Sale, but Grisham smoked it to center field, and then kind of a jam shot base hit for Spencer Jones. The triple by Jones I thought was hit better. Obviously. Braves got on the board with a double by Us Streemsky in the fifth inning. Honestly, not a good route by Elliott Ramos and left field, he had a bad day aside from being oh for offensively, just didn't play that ball well in left field. But the Braves put together a little bit of a rally, but then Cole shut it down and pitched great from there on out. A couple of good challenges today by Lombard. He had some very patient bats. He took some close pitches. He challenged two pitches and won at bat which I thought was awesome, and one of them, you know, he won and ended up coming all the way around from first to score on the triple. So that was a big, big play in the game. Spencer Jones taking third base was huge because then he was able to score on the bock. We had Weiss get ejected the manager for the Braves. Austin Wells going opposite field with a double. I thought that was one of his better pieces of hitting all season. You know, last night was a great piece of hitting too, when he ripped it into the corner. We're starting to see more line drives from Austin Wells, and that is good to see. We absolutely need that. Let's take a look at Wells here. As he is one for two, he raises his average up to one seventy three. The WRC plus is still at fifty nine, which is not good. Still seventeen RBIs, which is, you know, not ideal for August eighth. But hey, you can't do anything about the slow first few months. All you can do is finish out strong, especially since the Yankees did not make an upgrade at catcher. So I'm rooting for him. I'm a Yankees fan. I want him to do well, and it's a good thing that he is starting to hit a little bit. Lombard Junior with the opposite field home run second of the year, it's good that he's using right field. He's the homer now once to left, once to right. So he's using the whole field, and hey, kid looks comfortable. Kid looks comfortable. Get your belt votes. In the chat, we'll take a little look at the notable players here the candidates, if you will, Spencer Jones a top candidate, Lombard A top candidate, Ben Rice with home run number thirty two. Garrett Cole dominated David Bednar with to save even though he allowed to run. Blackburn and Hendrick also pitched in this game. Let me know who you want for the belt. In the chat, let's hear from John sterling Oh name over Yankees Winshank and we got some good news. The A's are actually leading the Red Sox in the seventh innings. So presuming that the Red Sox don't come back, the Yankees will create maybe a little bit of space there in the wild card race. I haven't seen what the Razer are doing. We'll take a look in just a second belt today, I had to go with my boy, Spencer Jones. Cole was phenomenal. We we're gonna give the honorable mention. Lombard gets an honorable mention, But Spencer Jones breaking out of an over nineteen getting two RBIs basically that's the difference. Triple stole a base How could you not love what he did today? Totally fantastic. That's his second belt of the season. He passes Frankie Baseball tough Frankie. So congrats to Spencer Jones. All right, talk a little bit about Garrett Cole. First four innings were tremendous for Garrett Cole. Ran into some trouble in the fifth, ended up surrendering the lead. Also picked up his one thousand strikeout. Congratulations on that. The big takeaway from me for Garrett Cole today was that he looked under control. This looked like vintage Cole. This looked like pre Tommy John surgery. This looked like pre elbow edema Garrett Cole. This was as good as he has looked since his Young Awards season. Seven innings, five hits, two runs, no walks, nine strikeouts on just eighty two pitches, so he was extremely efficient. Sixty of eighty two pitches for strikes, that's seventy three percent. Two thirds of his pitch ones were strike one at sixty seven percent, so a few things really stand out. He trusted the fastball today, forty seven fastballs he averaged ninety six point seven, which is essentially identical to his season average. He topped out at ninety eight point eight. The slider was good. He got four swings and misses on nine sliders. He didn't need to throw out twenty five times. It was there when he needed it. Zero walks against a very good Braves lineup, and honestly, putting it back together after that tough inning was huge. The only way that you could hurt him together today was rallying together some hits. That's the only way he was hurt because he was keeping the ball in the ballpark and he was essentially keeping the Braves off balance. Nice performance by Garret Cole, very impressive. Eddie says, have we come up with a nickname for Lumbar Junior yet? I haven't seen any great ones yet. But I liked how I liked how Boone called him the puma. I think the puma could be a decent nickname. We'll see if that sticks. Baseball so full of good nicknames. I don't think anybody will ever beat the big Unit. I think that's the greatest nickname all right. So we look at the game breakdown. A lot of strikeouts again for the Yankees today thirteen strikeouts, they did leave six on base. They went one for eight with runners in scoring position. All problems, but they were able to get the win regardless, five to four. Top exit vel ow of the day with Spencer Jones one eleven point one. He hits the ball very very hard. Yankees' pitcher struck out ten and only walked one, and the top pitch velocity was ninety eight point eight by Garrett Cole. Hell of a jobs. We take a look at the division so Athletics leading the Red Sox to two, Blue Jays beating the Phillies one to nothing. Rais and Mariners later Orioles Rangers later? Who cares about that? But uh yeah, we're rooting for the A's to finish this one off. Looks like Luis Medina, former Yankee, Hey in the game, don't let us down. Yankees four games back in the American League East, hoping that the Mariners behind George Kirby can take down the Rays tonight. All right, let's take a few voicemails here.
Speaker 1: JJ, Hey, Derek JJ from Wolfbare, Pennsylvania has always loved your show.
Speaker 4: Cabiello pissed me off tonight.
Speaker 1: You know, how about we just get in there, get set, get ready for the pitch.
Speaker 4: And fucking swing. So theatrical reminds me of Chaz Jism.
Speaker 2: These two guys, all right, that's enough JJ Yankees one. I don't want to play all the negative shit. So Cabair obviously didn't have a good day playing a little pissed off as somebody mentioned, but an irritant and that's by design. Here's Brian, you know what's going on.
Speaker 3: Derek had to say. I loved the game that Jones and Lombard both had out there today. If we can start getting you know, the youth movement coming up through the system and jet some life and these guys can actually play decent for a change instead of all these other guys that have been playing terrible for three months straight. Now, I don't see how that can be a bad thing. It's looks like it's actually kind of getting the rest of the team motivated a little bit to pick their game up. Hopefully these guys can be benchmarks on this team for the future and for years to come. Love to hear what you have to think about, man, and.
Speaker 4: Let's go Yanks.
Speaker 2: One of the most rewarding things about being any sport fan, not just baseball, is seeing young players contribute. You know, in a lot of sports, you draft somebody in the first round, they're in the lineup the next year. They're making a big difference, you know, whether it's an NFL player or a basketball player. In baseball, it takes a while. It can take three or four years. Lombard, we've been hearing about how good he was since day one, but we hear that about a lot of prospects. Spencer Jones, we've been here hearing about the athleticism and the power and so on and so forth. We're starting to see some of that now. We're starting to see that translate into wins at the big league level. And there's been some other young guys that haven't made it right. Lombard has been great, Volpie not so much. Spencer Jones been okay. Deming guys got off to that hot start in the major leagues, but not so good anymore. And a reminder that making it to the leagues is hard, but staying there is even harder, and the league is going to continue to adjust to these guys and make it difficult for these guys to make gains every day. I have a friend who's over who watched the game with me, Tod. He's not much of a sports fan, but I was trying to explain to him. I was like, imagine, he's a big video game guy and he plays like Street Fighter and so on, and I was trying to explain to him. I was like, imagine it was somebody's job to just study your Street Fighter games and try and figure out ways to counter your moves and to beat you. That's what these guys are dealing with. You know you're doing your job, Okay, Imagine that there's somebody studying how you do your job. Teams of people studying how you do your job and trying to find a way to make you do it worse. That's a tough position, man. That is a tough thing to deal with. And it's on the Yankees coaches. And you know, my cat is behind me. He wants to get involved in the discussion. Hey, Dexter, But anyway, it's on the Yankees coaches to make sure this guy makes the correct adjustments as the times come along.
Speaker 4: His call praise.
Speaker 1: Derek is the professor from Fort Lee, New Jersey, calling with a little different message like everybody to, you know, pray or meditate for Tommy John. He's eighty three. He's not doing too well. He's got bladder cancer. I caught for Tommy John way back in the eighties up at William Patterson College in New Jersey, and my thoughts with him and his family and prayers as well. So I just wanted to give that thought out and thank you very much for all you do. Take that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shout out to Tommy John, who obviously a huge impact on baseball and the surgery that he had was revolutionary. And if you haven't a chance to read his letter, he wrote kind of like a goodbye, thank you letter. And by the way, Old Timer's as you probably mention that, I'm finding it harder and harder to watch Old Timer's Day because a lot of the guys that I watched are just like you get to watch them age and it's hard. It's hard to watch them, you know, it's hard to watch some of these guys struggle to get around the field. I used to love it, you know, getting to see Manele and DiMaggio and all these guys I never got a chance to watch. Now it's a little bit awkward. As you get older. It just makes you feel it makes you feel older. I still like seeing everybody. I like hearing the applause, and you know, seeing people get their recognition and it's fun for them to get back out on the field. Matt Suwey looks great, you know. But again it's it's difficult for me to enjoy it because it's a reminder of our own impending aging and and that we're all rotting, and that life is a carnival of pain. Here's anohing call about Lombard.
Speaker 4: Hey Ark, I'm sold on George Lombard. He had a nine pitch at that he struck out in that one, got an eight pitch at that worth a walk, so rally as a home run I needed in my lead off.
Speaker 2: I don't disagree with you. I think he could end up being a leadoff guy, but I don't think that they're gonna do it right away. So far, he's only played in four games, got five hits, so he's doing well with runners on. He's won for three with runners in scoring positions. Still zero for two close and late one for two with a home run, so that's pretty good against lefties. Only one for two against righty's four for eleven, with both of his home runs with the bases empty four for ten, and he's only played at home so far five for thirteen, so no road splits. But hey, I think he's a really really good player. I think eventually he could be the leadoff man. But right now I'm comfortable leaving him where he is and letting him develop. One more time from John Sterling, whole game over, Yanks wins YAKA. Somebody says Georgie Porgy for the uh nickname summer oat George. All right, guys, I mentioned I got a friend over. We're just gonna go have a couple of cigars and enjoy our Saturday night. Saturday Night. I enjoy you to or I employ you, implore you. I'm having trouble today, I implore you to do the same. Enjoy your Saturday night. Yankees one. They've won two straight against a really good team and looks like the Red Sox are gonna lose. So whatever you do to relax, take a load off. It's Saturday evening. You deserve it. I'll see you right back here tomorrow. Hey, thanks for watching. If you're new to the channel, do all the YouTube stuff like and subscribe. Also, we've got a store, Nyy Designs dot shop. It's got all sorts of fun T shirts, mugs, hats. You can also get podcast merch at pinstripe territory shop dot com. We're also on every podcast platform, so go ahead and subscribe to the audio version as well, and give us five stars if you don't mind. If we earned it, we'll see you next time.