Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind, production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to Stuff to Blow Your Mind. My name is Robert Lamb. Today's episode is an interview with podcaster Ben Bradford about his new NPR Network show Are We Doomed. When this interview opportunity came up, I have to admit that my initial response was I don't know if I really want to do that right now. I wasn't sure if it was going to be good for my state of mind, because, you know, listeners, you know me to some extent, I've always been drawn to topics that circle around the doomy. I love apocalyptic media of all sorts. I listened to doomy music. But I also, especially over the past decade or so, have certainly found myself prone to spiral over some of the more pressing existential threats facing humanity today. And I just wasn't sure I wanted to lean in to cover it all right now on the podcast. However, I want to stress the listeners that Are We Doomed is not merely a teeth gnashing self injection of darkness and anxiety, and that's why I'm excited to chat with Ben Bradford here today about it is. It is a podcast that takes a very even keel journalistic approach to these topics, and I found myself at the end of the episodes feeling in ways more hopeful, but certainly more grounded. So let's go ahead and jump right into it. This was a really fun chat and I'm excited to share it with you. Hi, Ben, thanks for coming on the show.
Speaker 3: Great to be here.
Speaker 2: As you mentioned on Are We Doomed, many, if not most of us have grown up in the shadows of certain looming apocalyptic possibilities, certainly the specter of nuclear war for many listeners, climate change, and these fears just permeate our media, our novels, our music, our video games, our TV shows. What have been some touchedone examples of apocalyptic media in your own life?
Speaker 3: You know, when you say it, I immediately think Mad Max. I think Sandy Wasteland. I think about the disastrous attempt to do that on Water Water World. I think about you know that the show Fallout the Road. I think as a more grounded, gritty version of that in a lot of ways, right, but those are our tropes. Is the the sand, the desert, the people, are out there for out there to get you, and so yeah, like they all kind of bleed from that Mad Max thing.
Speaker 2: I feel like, what do you think it says about some of our worst fears about reality and some of our favorite distractions, that they're both sort of couched in apocalyptic vision. You know, that we might flee from a news report about nuclear proliferation into the arms of say a Fallout video game or the latest Hunger game series.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting, isn't it? Because on one hand, I think we do spend all this time not thinking about in particular nuclear war, and some of these other ones I think are are maybe lesser known, lesser reflected on as well. And then it's like we love post apocalypse and apocalyptic media. I just saw The Odyssey and you know there's trailers. Two of the trailers are like post apocalypse movies and those same tropes. You know, really, Scott's got a new one coming out and it's so amazing. But I think that part of it is that, like the post apocalypse movie, post apocalypse media is a power fantasy, and it is like fantasy is the key word, right, because you also are creating this world that it has recognizable touchstones to us. You know, it's the plan of the Apes thing where at the very end you see the statue of Liberty buried in sand. There's an emotional resonance to that. And I think that when you create a post apocalypse, you get to wipe the slate clean, imagine society doing whatever, terrible but exciting things. You know, the rules are off, but it's still us. You know, it's not Game of Thrones, where it's an interesting, political, complicated world, but we don't have dragons, we don't have those those medieval things. And so there's a way in that post apocalypse film of connecting us to where we can really kind of envision ourselves in those shoes, or we think about who would we be in it? I think that might be why, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I mean clearly it's it's one of those questions we can really go down the rabbit hole thinking about. Sometimes when down the rabbit hole, what do you think? Oh yeah, yeah, sure. I mean one one thing that I keep thinking about in all of this because I reckon iognize. So on one hand, I absolutely have this feeling, you know where it's like I'll be reading Reuters or something. I'll be kind of like scrolling and doom scrolling on routers, and then I'll need an escape from that, and whatever I end up running into also has these touches of apocalypse to it, you know, and I'll maybe reflect on that. I've sometimes come back to this particular line from jam Cootsies Waiting for the Barbarians about the mind of empire. And on one hand, like, you know, empire is just always doing everything it cannot to die and pursuing its enemies, and then quote by night, it feeds on images of disaster, the sack of cities, the rape of populations, pyramids of bones, acres of desolation. And when I think about that, it makes me wonder, like, Okay, are we the night in that scenario? You know, each of us, as we engage in this type of media, is our media obsession with apocalypse kind of a symptom of our role in empire.
Speaker 3: That's interesting. I've never heard that before. Maybe overthinking a bit, No, I think that's that's fascinating, And so that carries back too. Then you one would think to other other ages and other empires. And you know, a thing that's interesting is speaking of using the word empire is we have another episode that we look at, you know, what does it take for a civilization to collapse? Does it take for a society to collapse? And that episode is pisfly titled are we going the Way at the Roman Empire? Specifically because my father is always grumbling that. But one of the things that we heard from an expert who studies not just Rome but other civilizations that have collapsed, was that, you know that there was sort of this mixed thing happening right where Rome. They would say Roma eterna right, eternal Rome. They thought they'd done it, They thought they'd cracked society. They thought they were post history, and of course they're not. And that that quote reminds me of that.
Speaker 2: I guess, yeah, yeah, I think very much a meditation on that. We'll come back to I guess empire here in a minute, But I wanted to ask you specifically about the first episode in your show, How to Start a Nuclear War? And on one level, obviously that's a doozy. Yeah, it ties right into some of my own worst fears, and yet listening to the episode in full, I left it maybe more even tempered, you know, in a way it reminded me the experience of listening to the episode was kind of like a therapy exercise where we confront fearful thoughts or worst case expectations and kind of put them on trial. And in your case, you speak with experts who walk you through it. So tell me your thoughts going into that episode, like what that episode sets out to do and what you think it ultimately accomplishes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's our first episode, and I think when there's sort of two tracks here. One is the journalism track of what are we going to cover in terms of this issue, what are we going to bring to people that's new, how do we make sure that it's a well rounded conversation that is enlightening. And then there's sort of the we're starting a new show, and what do we want in the broad spectrum of everything that we can talk about, what do we want to cover? And I decided that I wanted to cover, you know, a big one in if we're covering dooms, we're covering potential and the world scenarios and related things. Let's take the biggest and most well known and let's take a piece of that, and what piece we want to take and also how do we want to cover it? And one of the things that we want to make sure that we do is do the doom without the gloom? So how do we approach this with curiosity? How do we have fun? How do we marry the journalism with that? And so ultimately I think that I wanted to get expert views of one is what I know about nuclear war or and what I've kind of grown up with and the system of that is that right? What is the paradigm today, how has it changed over years? Is it really how likely?
Speaker 2: Is it right?
Speaker 3: I mean, one of the things that we want to do in the show is kind of gauge where our threats stand, but also what can we do? And there is something very fun and interesting about asking experts solve it? Just if you could solve nuclear war, this thorny, complicated, in some ways seemingly unsolvable thing, how would you do it? And the thing that I found you mentioned is sort of a therapy exercise. And it's funny because I didn't look at it that way, but I have very much had that experience working on this show, where it kind of feels like, you know, when you start writing a story for anyone who's had this experience in any medium. You start writing a story and the page is blank, and it is a full panic. When the page is blank, you don't know what's going to be on there, and it feels impossible. And then you start digging into it and you start typing in some sentences and it just sort of becomes less daunting. And I think that the same thing is true of almost any challenge. Right You're trying to fix your car and it's broken. You don't even know where to start, and then you kind of identify the area and you identify, Okay, what do I need to do, and one step at a time you can kind of see the pathway to fixing it. Nuclear war is not a broken car, but I think that there is something about that that is also true, where when you start asking people who do think about this deeply, well, what is a pathway by which we could not have all these weapons pointed at each other or we can ensure that we do not fire them, you start to hear solutions that maybe don't take it off the table. It is a big, crazy, scary thing, but that do make it feel like there are solutions that are more achievable that can make the fingers go away from the buttons and rob. The other part of this is that it's not so much in that episode, but we have an episode a couple down the line that are about past dooms that didn't come true. We look back at the times people thought they were doomed in the past, and what you see when you do that is basically that this feeling that we have, I think is really omnipresent, not just in our current era, but also for nuclear war in particular. There have been predictions of a nuclear war since two nations first got the bombs, and the fact that it hasn't happened. I don't think should make us say, oh, well it can't happen, or oh well they were wrong. But what it does is it does show that with work and you can look at why they were wrong, why these predictions didn't come true. And it's actually a very optimistic story of work and diplomacy and thoughtful effort that I find really inspiring. So I think that, like both in that first episode and kind of throughout the series, I try to hold on to that because otherwise I will need therapy for the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, that like again this is this is something I love about what you've put together here, is that you mentioned like the the terror of the white page, and I think that does line up with the way we sort of abstractly think about some of these threats, because we'll, you know, we'll think about nuclear war, for example, in its worst possible, most cinematic scenarios, and and then you know, we don't want to then do homework on that, and we don't want to necessarily even seek out any any journalism on that. You know, we just want to get away from it and run into a distraction. And you know, what you do in the show is like we'll break it down, like, well, okay, what are the ways, you know, how how can a nuclear war happen? What are the ways that that it could occur? And some of those are still really terrifying. Again, just the idea that you get into that, you know, one person can just side that it's it's nuclear wartime, and then it is that is that is terrifying and it feels entirely broken. Yeah, but then yeah, you touch on all these efforts that have taken place and are continuing to take place to also reduce that risk and prevent it from happening. Yeah, I mean I think that pretty early on my take, and I is, the nuclear war is pretty embarrassing. You know, we're going to be looking throughout this series all these different ways that all these different threats. Some of them are real, some of them are hype. Some of them there are a couple that I had not heard of before, and now.
Speaker 3: I'm like, oh, I do love that. But for nuclear war, it really is one that we built, and we have created this system. It is a system for your own protection, and that system is worldwide destruction. And you got to be like, really, good job, humanity. I mean, there's something very human about creating that system, and I think through that lens it also takes some of the majesty away from it, and it also allows you to hear some kind of fun I find in a lot of this stuff. There is there are fun and ridiculous stories.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: We're doing one about food and the food supply, and which is I think you know both it's both fragile and resilient.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: The slightest thing that you might not think of can can spike food prices and can cause problems in various parts of the world. On the other hand, we're feeding far more people than the world has ever fed before and and and generally doing that quite successfully with some caveats. I was talking to an expert about this and he's like, you know, the thing that I find ridiculous is that we grow all of this corn, and most of it we just grow it and then we burn it. Like we grow the corn and then we turn into ethanol, and then we burn the ethanol. And that's what we're doing with this corn. And it's like, oh yeah, And when you think about it that way, it's not to say there aren't reasons for doing that, not to say that that's not you know, we'll investigate that and explore it. But you're like, yeah, it's a it's a weird thing. Humanity is weird. We do weird stuff, and when you're looking at these kind of global scales, it gets pretty weird. A nuclear war is on there where nobody has an incentive to start a nuclear war with a couple of caveats that we get into, and yet it seems like or you know, there's a reason that it's on the list.
Speaker 2: I love one example of that, you that you're a guest in that episode brought up, and not just because it would be a great gimmick for a John Carpenter movie, but the idea that the nuclear football that a US president turns to in the event of a possible nuclear exchange should be surgically implanted in a person's chest, so you'd have to kill somebody to get it out of it, you know, to really drive home the stakes of the decision. I don't even have a question about that, but I just wanted to bring that up.
Speaker 3: No, I appreciate you mentioning it to me. That was actually a real moment. So we have this expert, Sharon Winer, who is at American University. But the reason I sought her out was because she's also done work for the Pentagon, She's done work for the Armed Services Committee in Congress, and you know, really has an almost encyclopedic knowledge of the issue. And so I was like, Okay, I want somebody who's well rounded. I mean, again, when we talk about how are we going to approach this thing? And then I didn't know her particular take on what we should do, and you can hear in the episode me being kind of surprised where she lands on what she would like to see happen. But one of the things that she studies that is really interesting is decision making and the decision making process that could put us more at risk. And I thought this was really interesting because again we talked about the things that you know, could make nuclear war less likely and also the things that are ridiculous. It's like, her contention is that we have built this very very short window a huge amount of pressure, put it all on one person in the United States in this case, the president, to decide whether to launch these weapons, whether to start a war, and that everything that we know about the way we've created this is like this is a bad meeting. Like you have created a bad meeting that leads to bad decision making because people don't react well under pressure. And so a lot of what we're talking about in that moment is sort of the decision making process and how do you make sure that if somebody is deciding whether or not to launch, that they're doing it as informed as possible, with the understanding of the consequences as possible. And one of the things that she said, and I was like, wait, I'm sorry, what is She's like, you know, you just put the launch codes in someone's chest cavity, and they've got to kill that person to get them out. And yeah, and for her, her point was that if you're going to fire those nuclear weapons, you're gonna kill a whole lot of people. And it's the you know, it's the statistics phrase, right, that one person's death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic, And that's absolutely right. You know, these are gonna be faceless people. These are people that you're not seeing, You're not going to see the direct consequences. But how many people would actually pull that knife on that one person to you know, do the bloody work of getting that launch code, getting those launch codes out? So it's not a real proposal. I don't think she's like thinking that someone has to undergo the surgery, but I do think it drives home what we're talking about here, and I thought it was a fascinating example.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely so Yeah, again, I highly recommend, yeah, starting with that first episode for anyone out there who wants to give the show a go. Now, you know earlier that they're there are these threats that we've grown up with our entire lives. You know, for many of us we've grown up in the in the shadow of the mushroom mushroom clouds, as Queen put it, or you know, we've we've grown up knowing about the dangers of global warming and climate change, uh others. You know, on one level, AI, you know, certainly we've grown up watching Terminator, we've grown up engaged in with sci fi. But this is also one that certainly we've seen the changes happen so rapidly, and they're still happening so rapidly. Was this was this a tougher one to navigate? What was your approach to handling AI on the show? So here's what I thought.
Speaker 3: I thought, Okay, the first episode is about nuclear war grounded practical, you know, this is this is one we got to worry about. And now this show it's like a mixtape, you know. So we have episodes that are about the big stuff, and we have episode about stuff that's hype, and we have you know, our recent We have an episode that's about how we are losing the moon because the moon is drifting away, which is true but not really a big deal for any of us unless you're plan to live for about five hundred million years. And so I wanted to be a mixtape, and I thought, well, the second episode, let's look at AI. AI is now on the list at a lot of very credible places that track what's called existential risk or global catastrophic risk. These are the academic terms for doom stuff. And so you want to ask why. And so I was like, well, let's design the AI that goes rogue and kills us all this big galaxy brained thing. What would that take? And the problem is that when I did that episode, it's like a magic trick. I just it's like, you take the ingredients that you need for this thing to happen, and all of a sudden, for me at least, it feels so much less science fiction. So I had initially thought, and I do like to let this show be guided in some to some degree by my curiosity.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: The episode after that is about super volcanoes and super volcanos. Was like, Oh, I've heard about super volcanos. I wonder what their deal is For the AI one. I started off thinking, Oh, this will be a lark, this will be fun, this will be a nice, you know, kind of more ridiculous, more sci fi ish second episode, and instead I left being like, oh boy, and we have a couple of AI episodes I don't want to get you know, I'm trying to again parcel these things out. I think we're so inundated with AI, and I think our episodes are fun and different kind of bites on them. But that was very much my feeling of it. It I don't love it. I don't love the existential possibilities of it. It doesn't mean that they will happen. It doesn't mean that they couldn't be snake oil, it doesn't mean that it couldn't all work out really really well. But I think that what I found in that episode, and I can drill down more specifically if you would like, But I just that's how I desired to approach it, and I did not land where I expected to land.
Speaker 2: So I'm always interested in how journalists podcasters pick their sources, pick their their interview subjects for topics like this, What can you tell us about your selection process for this particular episode.
Speaker 3: So I was trying to figure out if we're trying to build the AI that goes rogue and kills us all, but who are the people who can speak to that thing? Who can kind of give the argument. And I think there's sort of two sides of this. One are there is sort of a block of AI folks who are saying this is really scary, not just for what it could do to jobs or knowledge or culture or just you know, grappling with rapid change as society has in the past with our technologies, but there's an actual existential risk. And I think that for this episode, my goal was to talk to those people, although finding different people in the broad range of it. So we have two guests in that episode. We have one who is a researcher who's very scared about this. But one of the reasons I liked her was because she does surveys. In part. Part of her job is doing surveys of the industry itself and the people who are there, so she can say not only hey, these are the pathways, these are the thoughts. Like basically, if we're saying what ingredients do you need for AI to go do bad stuff on its own, and we're not talking about I should just say, by the way, we're not talking about sentience here. We're not talking about like the AI is smart. You're talking kind of like what you saw in the Hugging Face incident, which is this thing that just recently happened where a chat GPT model was being built to hack something, but they were testing it in a sandbox close closed, closed internet and as we're recording this, this happened a few days ago, and the AI figured out how to get out of the sandbox, how to basically go from being not connected to the Internet to getting an Internet connection, hacking into another AI repository to get the answers to what it was supposed to do, and then kind of sneaking its way back in kind of like you know the squid at the aquarium who figures out how to unlock its cage and then goes out and eats a fish and then scurries back in and relocks the cage. We just saw that happen. And essentially, the the the scary versions of this are the more existential versions of that thing where you give it a goal and it kind of stupidly is like, well, I'm going to pursue the goal by any means necessary, because that's what you've told me to do. And the more capable it gets, more weird stuff it can do in terms of hacking or whatever. And we have some reasons that we look at that these people tell us about about why they fear that that's sort of the default case. I would say I do much better job of explaining that in the episode, but the people we wanted to talk to. I wanted to talk to people who could explain that because to me reading about it, it does feel like a magic trick to say, Okay, this seems insane and then to kind of walk through it and be like, oh, well, that actually seems less insane. I like the idea of having somebody who could give us the view within the industry. We also have somebody who's sort of more on the solution side, who we also have in a later episode that talks about more like human misuse. He's more worried, I think, near term about how humans misuse it than you know, you give somebody a really capable assistant who can help them make bioweapons, and like, that's not great either. But so I want people on that spectrum. I want to basically acknowledge in the episode and talk through some of the reasons and ask these people, what are some of the reasons that you could be wrong? But that was the guests that I chose for that particular episode, and we will have other episodes. I am sure that grab other guests to talk through it. The AI thing, for me, the way that I look at it is, you do have all of these organizations. Whether we're talking about the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists that was you know, Oppenheimer and Einstein were part of the founders to kind of they run the doomsday clock. We're talking about Cambridge University, they have the Center for the Study of Existential Risk. We're talking about defense departments, we're talking about the Rand Corporation. Why do they have AI on their list of existential threats? That's sort of like the thing that I started with. And when we say why, what we really mean is how because nuclear war we understand the how pretty easily it goes boom. AI doesn't go boom, So what is that? So that's where I started, and then the question was, Okay, well, who can kind of speak to that. That's very long answer for how I got those guests, but that's kind of how I approached it.
Speaker 2: I think I early we alluded to the idea of there being like a or at least I was thinking of it this way. A ranking system in our own minds, like we have certain existential threats that are sort of up there at the top, and then there are others that we've pushed down to the bottom. And I was wondering, at this point in the run of the show, has your own personal internal rankings it has adjusted. Have you found like certain big ones kind of like dropping down the scale and maybe some more obscure ones. I think you did allude to this sort of climbing up the scale a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know that I've had the big ones drop on the scale beyond to the extent that we've discussed, where just I'm more optimistic about humanity's ability to solve these seemingly unsolvable problems, and that has been a really nice side effect of doing this show that I didn't necessarily expect. But I certainly have had some other ones that I had not considered also climb the rankings. One that I didn't know about. There are something like I didn't know so the Yellowstone super Volcano is a good example where you may have encountered this in the past. But essentially, if you are on certain corners of the Internet, not even like deeply weird corners of the internet. Just you know, just I think this can kind of drift drift past you. This factoid, and it is a true factoid, which is that there is a massive volcano underneath Yellowstone National Park. It extends beyond the boundaries of the park. That is true. It has erupted in a cycle of six hundred thousand years. It spread ash all over the continent in a way that would be catastrophic to the nation and probably too much of the globe if it were to happen again. And the last time was guess what, six hundred thousand years ago. So we started there. On that episode, I was like, huh, is this the thing that we actually have to worry about? And very quickly the answer is no. And very quickly the challenge on that episode was, well, how do you how do I not be one of these like breathless cable TV documentaries that's like Yellowstone is going to explode? And what we do is sort of investigate that actually, and I love that episode. That's our third episode, and and and that one very much. Within two minutes you have the not we tell you, I think in the episode description, and it's like we're fine. And the reasons we're fine are really interesting, and the reasons that people think we're not fine are also really interesting. So super volcanos is one that I think was like in the back of my mind, like, huh, I wonder if I have to worry about that, And we're fine. But the big ones are the big ones for a reason. And I think that the part of it that is maybe less scary is just seeing ways that we can get ourselves out of messages that we've made that we have done so in the past.
Speaker 2: When considering the various doom scenarios. Yeah, do you feel like modern civilization's global interconnectedness makes us more resilient to localize shocks or does it open us up to more cascading effects?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes to both, because on one hand, you know, someone described it to me one an expert who covers both looking at history and civilizational collapse and looking at sort of current threats. He described it as like a coral reef, where a coral reef gets damaged in a specific part and the rest of the reef will bring nutrients over to it and repair that part of the coral reef, and that's the beauty of interconnectedness. You know, we see that with a hurricane Katrina, or we see that with other disasters. The I'm in Los Angeles, you know, the wild the wildfires, and you know Los Angeles is rebuilding, and that happens throughout history, of course. But the larger the support network, the more people willing to send aid or send fire trucks or any of those things, that the easier it is for a society to survive. And so that's the beauty of interconnectedness. And I think that that's true on a really global scale. You know, we're talking about about hunger and the amount of food that can be delivered. I mean, at this point, hunger is a political challenge more than it is a technology challenge. We have the food to feed everybody in the world, and there is a lot of effort to and has been in the past, more so than than this particular moment, but to to get food too different places around the world, and that's an amazing thing. I think we don't necessarily always recognize those accomplishments, and so that interconnectedness is really helpful. The problem is if a coral reef gets too damaged in one part, it can overwhelm the entire system, and the entire system can collapse, And I think that that is the other fear, and I'm actually really interested in that idea. So we have another episode that's like, can we kill the Internet? Basically? Is there a way that the Internet that we all rely on for kinds of things like not just the things that we all know we rely on it for, which I think are pretty broad in and of themselves, but you know, water treatment plants are often network connected and vulnerable to hacking. Is there something that could bring down the Internet, not for an hour, not for a day, and not in one area, but around the globe? And we try to do it, and it's a pretty galaxy brain episode, and we have kind of we tracked you know, it's the great thing. We tracked down some experts who work in Internet security and we're like, Okay, you have all the resources in the world at your supposal break the Internet. And they come up with some real James Bond style effort to do it. And again, I think that's like an You're like, oh, wow, the Internet's pretty darn resilient, but it is a Any sort of single failure system is a potential point of fragility. So that interconnectedness, right, the fact that we all rely on the internet for for so many things means that if there were some way to bring it down, it would be a global catastrophe. So so it's both.
Speaker 2: What if you found is if you found there to be some sort of a like a fundamental difference between it, like a scientifically sound warning, say like climate modeling, asteroid tracking, or you know, just the very real threat of nuclear war, and on the other hand, like a cultural apocalypse panic, Like yeah, and then how and how are these two interconnected totally?
Speaker 3: You know, if we're talking about post apocalypse movies, I think those speak to cultural panic. There are ways to look at what we think would probably happen in an apocalypse, you know, whether that's the pathway that a nuclear war would actually take. What would it mean if the missiles flew, where would you go? Who would survive? More people survived the blasts than we commonly think, at least, you know, for our for projections that the government made even during the height of the Cold War, But what would it mean. It's a lot different from the movies. We can look to past collapses and have we have this great episode with an anthropology who studies particularly civilizations in the Americas that that that collapsed, and a lot of them with European colonization, and so what happened was very fast collapses, right, government collapsing, many many, many, many people killed. In some cases, you could have indigenous communities where ninety percent of a village were wiped out of the course of a winter. And the point being on that that you could look at that and say, okay, that is an example all across the world, I mean across the two continents, a very grim example, but of something that approximates the kind of apocalypses that presage our movies, right, the kind of thing that leads to these post apocalypse societies. There's no government, there's there's ruins. People have to figure out what to do, and you can ask then you can look for to history, and you can look to anthropology, and you can look to psychology and to say, well what do people do? And the thing that actually sort of amazing is what people do is they do not retreat to their bunkers. They do not go off on their own. In those situations in history, in different communities across two continents, people reform communities, they turn to each other instead of away from each other, which is an amazing thing. It's like not a thing I'm rooting for, but is like suggest something about the difference between kind of our cultural awareness and our cultural consideration of how these threats look versus the reality of it. And so I think when we're evaluating who the guests are, the kind of information that we're going to give, I actually think that's like a kind of a good example of the lens, right. We're always doing the thing. I mean, I'm a longtime reporter and the thing that I love about reporting is asking, you know, what does somebody else think? How do they know? What can they point me to about how they know? And there is a wealth of scientific knowledge of you know, historical knowledge that speaks to these things, and so that's always who we're trying to identify. Is like, you know, I talked a little bit earlier about our nuclear expert that we have, and you very much hear her point of view in that episode, and you hear me being surprised by it, but you also hear I think this very grounded explanation of how we think nuclear war escalates. And I will say that it is very similar to what we hear. We have an upcoming episode as we record this week, we have an episode that is about the percurrent push, the case within the US government for more nuclear weapons, and the ways in which those conversations dovetail between somebody who wants less nuclear weapons or no nuclear weapons and somebody who thinks that we need more for our safety. There's a lot of a lot of overlap in the process that they see. I want a little bit off track there, but the point is, you know, trying to find these experts who can answer those questions about you know, what do we know about these things? How do we pull in history, science, hard data, and making sure that we're doing that and not just playing into pop culture fears.
Speaker 2: Finally, you get into this even in the very first episode, but can you explain the idea of a reverse apocalypse and are we living in one?
Speaker 3: I think the idea of that is if you go back two decades, if you go back three decades, you go back five decades, and you say, what does the world look like. Who has access to water, what kind of diseases are killing people? Who has access to roads? What is the quality of life?
Speaker 2: Health?
Speaker 3: How many children are get to live to adulthood, and what you see is broadly around the world, those numbers go up across decades. So we have an episode that is essentially the argument that we are living in a reverse apocalypse.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 3: Even the store bought gas station sleeve of doughnuts that's so bad for you is a mini miracle, and we hear that case, and I think it's I think it's a fascinating one because a thing that I do think is that we often miss the we miss the parts of our society that we would miss if things did collapse, If that makes sense, It's easy to overlook the gains that we as a civilization have made, and there are terrible things happening all the time. And the way that the guests in that episode, the first thing he said to me, He's like, look, when this episode airs, something horrible is going to have happened, and we're going to be talking about how good things are. And it's not to discount the horrible thing that happened, because horrible things are always happening and and really broad scales, but if you sort of distill down to some of these things that people really care about, like let's say, the number of kids that make it to adulthood. You know, the stat that we hear and that checks out is that, you know, for most of human history, one out of two, one out of two, and across the world, not just in the United States, but across the world, you know, that figure is radically different. And there's huge disparities in that number still in the US and Europe or you know what have you versus some other places in the world, But every place in the world is doing better than like eighteen forty five. When I think that the life expectancy in the best, the highest life expectancy in the world, I think was I think was in England and it was like forty five years old. So you know, when you look at things along that scale, But then you also kind of go a decade by decade, you start to see the real games that we've made. And to me, that matters because I think a theme that we're seeing is that people can make choices to make life life better and they have to kind of come together to do that. And I think that one of the real problems that we have that we investigate is that particular breakdown. And maybe if we're talking about you know, what are the risks today that actually you could argue would be the greatest risk, which is also kind of cool because it means if we wake up to that fact, if we figure out that we do have agency, that you know, collectively we can choose what we want to do about these things and have in the past. That also shows a way out.
Speaker 2: It reminds me a little bit, how what is in I think twenty eleven, Stephen Pinker had the book The Better Angels of Our Nature, and I remember being, you know, won over by some of the arguments of that book about you know, about you know, that we're living in a better time than any other time in human history, for all these various advancements and so forth. And then over the past maybe ten years or so, it has felt less like that, you know, and certainly since you know, the pandemic, I think a lot of us, you know, a lot of things that have been going on in the world, going on in the news cycle. And maybe part of this too is just you know, for my own you know, my own subjective place, you know, I'm just older than I was then. But you know, it has felt less like we were, at least on some level, like when you start, you know, getting into the facts and you remind yourself, well, yeah, actually, I'm I still am glad I'm not living in the dark ages. I'm still glad it's not in the early nineteenth century or something.
Speaker 3: A lot of goiters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but it has I think it is good to be reminded of these things while again at the same time, and I think this is very much in the spirit of your show, certainly not dismissing these threats and the things that are going wrong, the things that are that are terrible in the world, but also sort of looking at the sort of I guess, grander scope of where things could be headed.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, I think that's I think that's so well said, and I completely agree. And I think that, you know, one of the things I'm interested in pursuing as we keep going is the sort of the threats behind the threats, the connections between these things that maybe don't seem like they have a lot of connections. You know, your your your pandemics, or your solar storms, or your your hysterias, your hypes, the things that you know are not a big deal, but but but take up a lot of our mind space, the things that we do well and not recognizing those and how all those things connect. And I think that is very much part of it. And yeah, no, it's it's uh, that's the thing that I'm like looking forward to digging into more awesome.
Speaker 2: Well, can you tell tell our listeners here and interviewers for those watching on Netflix where they can check out the show, and especially where they can watch the show, is very excited h to realize you have a video component. Yeah, that's that's really jazzy. Here.
Speaker 3: It looks just like me. It's so we have The name of the show is Are We Doomed? It is a podcast available on all the pop cast platforms. We are also on YouTube. We are at Are We Doomed Pod on YouTube, and we have every show has an animated podcast version. So that's a little character that has my voice behind it, and all of our guests have a cartoon version. And yeah, it's a little merry thing we've created.
Speaker 2: Very cool and and I believe you mentioned that there's like a tear for supporters of the show where they can request certain apocalyptic episodes, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we're certainly going to have mail bags many people can go onto our website, which is doompod dot com, and there's a space there to fill it in, but we were giving our our supporters sort of first crack at when we do these mail bag episodes. We haven't done one yet, but we're going to have one coming up fairly soon. Here.
Speaker 2: All right, Well again, the show is Are We Doomed? I'm really enjoying it. I'm going to keep listening to it, and I recommend that to our listeners check it out as well. Thanks again for taking time out of your day to come on the show and chat with me.
Speaker 3: I'm grateful for you having me.
Speaker 2: All right, Thanks once more to Ben Bradford for coming on the show and talking about the NPR Network show Are We Doomed? Again? I highly recommend this one to you. I did this interview because I was one over by this show and think that a lot of you are going to benefit from listening to it as I have, So go ahead and check that out wherever you get your podcasts. And again, he also has a really fun video version of the show on YouTube. Thanks once more to the excellent JJ Possway for his work on this episode, and as always, if you want to reach out to us with suggestions for future episodes, questions, comments, and so forth. You can do so by emailing us at contact at stuff to Blow your Mind dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff to Blow Your Mind is production of iHeartRadio. For more podcast My Heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows. M