Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Cavino and Rich and for the Great Dan Patrick. Day one of the Dan Patrick Patrick Live from Mercedes Benz Studios.
Speaker 3: I'm Steve Cavino. That is Rich Davis.
Speaker 4: Good morning.
Speaker 2: I hope you had a great Valent Times weekend, bop by. Hope you enjoyed some Russell stovers. Hope you enjoyed the NBA All Star Game? Was it SNL or Cobra kai that overshadowed the everything NBA All Star Game. We're taking your calls and your feedback now on Rich's NBA analogy. He's basically saying that there's no blueprint on what works and what doesn't work. But I hope you had a nice weekend of Steph Curry sort of weekend. He got the MVP, his second All Star Game MVP. The OG's got the win. We'll play some Shack Diesel trivia. But you want to explain again, Rich, Yeah, I mean it's evident that.
Speaker 5: In generally we like to think that we could tell people what they're interested in, what they like, what they gravitate towards networks.
Speaker 6: Do it.
Speaker 5: Podcasts, do it TV shows, movies, there's a sentiment that, oh, we know what the public wants, But a lot of times the public just tells you what they want. You could try to push a new artist, a new athlete, a new face of a company on the general public, but they could very well just be like, now, we don't like that, we like that. It's like the famous story of Happy Days. Fansie wasn't supposed to be the main character How I Met your Mother? It wasn't supposed to be about Barney Stinson.
Speaker 3: Did I do that?
Speaker 2: Tory Nichols wasn't supposed to be anything more than a quick cameo on Cobra Kai.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that same category as Fansie.
Speaker 2: It's more relevant than Henry Winkler, even though I love him. I'm just saying the season premiere just wrapped up Tory. He's the main character of Cobra Kai.
Speaker 5: But it just shows you that, you know, like I said, h rkle Phonsie, these are not design the public decided. So you could say these are the new faces of our sport. But if the public doesn't gravitate towards them, if you, as the average NBA fan, what matchup you'd want in the NBA most people would say, I don't know, maybe like the Warriors are the Lakers because they're still hung up on Steph and Lebron and those older faces.
Speaker 2: I think, you know, I think if you're asking why is this because your point is valid. I think everybody and everything goes through transitional ups and downs, like transitional phases. We I think we were a little spoiled in the NFL, Like when we got all these slew of new quarterbacks, it made the transition easier. He's like, whoa, wait a second. All these dudes are really good, I mean guys, and you embrace the new guys immediately.
Speaker 5: We say goodbye to Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and you know, Drew Brees and that crew of quarterbacks. But we also welcomed in Burrow, Jackson, Josh Allen, like Jalen hurts that.
Speaker 2: So it's like the holidays when you're grown up. Remember when you were kid, how great the holidays seemed. Then everybody grew up and no one had kids yet, so the holiday seemed boring because you were going through that transitional stage of life and family. All of a sudden, your sister started having kids, and there was kids back in the mix, and the holidays got exciting again. You're like, oh, wow, their holidays are brack. I guess now we just got through that transitional stage. And maybe the NBA, well, all the changes they're making and all the changes they're forced to make, and thinking about the way the game has changed with three points and it's become boring, and Silver's trying to for you out, well, how do we fix it? And a new format for the All Star Game. All these things are a little confusing to people. There's a new slew of characters that not everybody's embracing yet. It's just the transition all I said, they'll be a moment in time where all of a sudden you're like, ah, I have.
Speaker 3: An I have another reason.
Speaker 5: Who's arguably the best Major League Baseball play that's never sniffed the postseason for the most part, For the most part, Trout. Mike Trout Right, you could argue, maybe not the most personality plus guy. But you know what also takes a star like Mike Trout from being next level star never being relevant when it matters in the playoffs. Do you think maybe if the Spurs were more of an elite team and had had more weapons and more, you know, more of a vibe around Wemby. Wemby to me, is the most intriguing young star. But in a league where twenty of the thirty teams make the playoffs, they're still on the outside looking in. Is that a part of it too, where Danny, the biggest young star that might be the biggest quote attraction, isn't even on a playoff caliber team.
Speaker 7: Well, one of my favorite players in the league right now is de Aaron Fox, and the Kings traded him to the Spurs. So the Spurs are trying to work on what you're talking about right now.
Speaker 3: I mean you can't.
Speaker 2: We're coming off of crazy highs of a great MLB season, first time in a long time, what I said, another exciting NFL season, and then you're like NBA and you're trying to play catch up now.
Speaker 5: But no, but it goes back to what I'm saying. Otani is the biggest star. But guess what he also did. The biggest star showed up on the biggest stage and that team won the World Series.
Speaker 2: I think once the I'm stating the obvious here, but once the playoffs are kicking in and you're seeing Lebron and Luca do their thing again. Big team, big national, nationwide team, not just here in LA with superstars that you recognize. When you see them competing with these younger dudes that you really don't know that well, you start kicking in and your fandom starts to kick in, and you start getting excited about it.
Speaker 3: Luke and Lebron, Stephen Draymond like the names that you want to say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you're tuning into the NBA right after the NFL, right after Super Bowl. You all hyped up about super Bowl and then you're tuning into the NBA because it's all there is to tune into right as we approach All Star break. So that's kind of boring as a casual NBA fan.
Speaker 3: Let's go to Andy and Rhode Island. Andy, What is it?
Speaker 4: I mean?
Speaker 2: And I don't want to talk about, Well, the NBA, it's three pointers and.
Speaker 3: This and that.
Speaker 8: Andy.
Speaker 5: To me, it's just saying you just can't force what works. Yeah, you can't force you can't tell people what they like.
Speaker 9: No, absolutely, guys, And I feel that because you know, a lot of it.
Speaker 10: Kind of just goes back to Revision's history, because you know, we can't really see who's gonna be, you know, the next breakout generational players ahead of time, so we kind of just cling back to, you know, the guys that's still in the league that have been doing it for so long, because I feel like.
Speaker 9: A lot of it has to do with social media. We have so much access to these guys that in essen it's always on to the next with the current society that we're living nowadays.
Speaker 10: And it's just so tricky because we want to embrace the new guys, but then.
Speaker 9: I feel like a lot of these new guys they don't have that superstar you know, that whole horizon energy that we look forward to it just like you know, you go back to Michael Jordan's he was so polarizing, but it was so it was such a mystery because we didn't have all the access to end So that I feel like that's the biggest difference.
Speaker 10: And you know, like you guys said, it's.
Speaker 9: A transitional phase and we'll see where it goes.
Speaker 11: Right now is just up in the air.
Speaker 9: You know, we can only hope for the best for the NBA, but it seems like where Grace and the NFL stars a lot faster because the NFL is this case, it really is.
Speaker 2: It is, and it's that that good of a product where you're not really competing with anything. If you're a casual NBA fan, you're oversaturated with other options. Like if you asked me honestly over the weekend, yeah, would you rather watch the NBA All Star Game or Cobra Kai. I'm watching Cobra Kai. Sounds ridiculous, but we have. My point is, you have options. As your mom would say, up the wazoo. You have so many other things to watch.
Speaker 4: Mom.
Speaker 2: It's competing with all the other things, you know. So it's a mixture. It's a perfect storm of all of these things, Richie. I can't force these things, the new formats, the new stars, and you have all these other things to watch.
Speaker 3: George and La, what's.
Speaker 4: Up, Bud, what's up?
Speaker 12: Fellas?
Speaker 4: What's up?
Speaker 12: Man?
Speaker 4: Hey, buddy, Hey Man.
Speaker 13: Got to hear you guys this morning.
Speaker 14: It was a good surprise.
Speaker 3: Oh nice, man, high surprise surprise.
Speaker 12: Sorry with your daughter, brother.
Speaker 14: I felt cool, man, that was real cool.
Speaker 3: Hey, thanks man, It was all right. You know, it's a weird.
Speaker 2: It's a weird moment to just sort of accept that your daughter it's not her first boyfriend, but she's fifteen now, so different right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's on your mind, George.
Speaker 13: Hey, Bro, I'll tell you it wasn't cool that sprinky dinky All Star game.
Speaker 12: Bro.
Speaker 13: It was pretty lame.
Speaker 14: It was non competitive.
Speaker 13: They need to come up with the better idea.
Speaker 12: Maybe, how about like something like, well.
Speaker 13: What hockey does?
Speaker 14: That hockey game was was beast, Bro, that was awesome. First.
Speaker 5: Yeah, hockey sold weekend with their fights, I mean hockey fights.
Speaker 3: You know what it was. This weekend was hockey fights.
Speaker 5: Saturday Night Live fifty and a couple other things that all sort of overshadowed as a pick a ball tournament.
Speaker 7: There was some crazy crashes in the Daytona five hundred and when that picked up after the weather delay.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't want to I don't want to be the guy that piles on I don't want to kick the NBA walls.
Speaker 2: But if you weren't painting the narrative, then you wouldn't be accurate either. And that was the narrative on. If you took the temperature on social media and just the buzz of of what people were saying about All Star Weekend, that's exactly it. If you see it otherwise, feel free to share. We're just painting a picture for you. As I said to you, I don't want to.
Speaker 5: I just don't want to pile on and be like, yeah, I MEA stinks, right, guys, because I just think there's a they're trying. Adam Silver was striking. I'm just saying you can't force people to like something.
Speaker 2: I mean another thing though, just the show that You're not rich is again, that's the overall sentiment of how people are feeling. Right, So we're not gonna come here and be like, dude, that was electric, are we would sound ridiculous?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Right.
Speaker 2: Draymond Green over the weekend was basically talking about how flat it was, how weak it was, how you have these you know, young players out there that don't deserve to be out there, and that the format didn't work like he made it no secret And that's been a theory of ours too on this show. When you have the analysts and former players and current players dumping on the product, how do you expect the casual fan to be excited about it?
Speaker 3: That's bad marketing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there were twenty minute breaks in that bracket final and a lot of the players spoke out afterwards saying they didn't like it. They understand that it needs to be kind of stretched out for TV, right, and they're just being honest. But like Kevin Hart was doing stand up and little skits and he was at Lebron's locker putting his shoes on and you know, and Trey Young said he was part of Chuck's Global Stars. I didn't like the breaks. The games were so short. Obviously we can score, so they're trying to, I feel like, extend the game, you know, because they need breaks and things like that. But the players want to play yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think the silver lining here is they're trying to figure it out or trying to give you something else. Like we always say Rich Gary Vee, we quote him innovator died or trying to innovate and trying to make things exciting.
Speaker 3: So that's the positive.
Speaker 7: They're testing it on live TV, though is the the issues. Like us, once in a while on our afternoon show, we'll test a game, a new game that we're gonna play, yeah, and it kind of evolves into the final product that we put on the air every week, And that first week or two we do it. We laugh, We have fun with it. It's a little rough, but imagine millions and millions of viewers watching something you're trying to figure out in real time.
Speaker 5: You know, your final thoughts on the NBA All Star weekend. We'll get to that. Plus a birthday of maybe the most famous athlete of our lifetime and will there.
Speaker 3: Ever be another?
Speaker 5: We'll explain that's all coming up next, your buds Covino on rich In for Dan Patrick right here Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: You could catch us.
Speaker 5: Weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: Why should you listen to Covino and Rich.
Speaker 5: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's going on.
Speaker 3: In the world.
Speaker 2: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 5: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right.
Speaker 3: So check us out.
Speaker 2: We like to get you involved too, Take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: From five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific.
Speaker 5: And if you miss any of the live show, just search Kovin on Rich wherever you get your podcast, and of course on social media.
Speaker 2: That's Cavino and Rich true pleasure to fill in for the great Dan Patrick. Pleasure for us anyway, now, Cavino Rich.
Speaker 5: Fox Sports Radio President's Day and uh hey, first president to throw out a first pitch, you know who it is.
Speaker 3: George Bush to do a perfect strike? Was he the first to throw strike?
Speaker 7: It was Taft because he was hanging out with Babe Ruth eating hot dogs.
Speaker 4: Bro very good.
Speaker 14: Danny G.
Speaker 3: Taft was the first president to start the tradition.
Speaker 2: I thought he was the first to eat hot dogs with the with bait with the babe, but he also gets sticking to batt of the fat Ass a lot of first with taft.
Speaker 3: Well, hey, it's President's Day. A lot of people have off.
Speaker 5: If you're stuck working today, either your boss hate here or make that double time or something right.
Speaker 2: Well, I hope you had a nice holiday weekend. Happy Valentine's Day weekend.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 2: We're Covino and Rich at Covino and Rich coov I n O Covino and Rich Davis, and we're on two to four out here on the West Monday through Friday, five to seven on the East. We have a bonus podcast too, called over Promise that you could watch on Fox Sports Radio's YouTube page, but search it where ever you stream your podcast.
Speaker 3: Covino and Rich or over Promised.
Speaker 2: We appreciate that, Rich to wrap up the first hour of trying to figure out why don't I care? Because you never want to feel like something's wrong with you. I think that's where it first starts, like is it me? Why don't I care? The way other people seem to care? Does everybody not care? And then you go to social media, you run the X to see what other people are saying, and you realize, well it seems like everybody's saying it sucked, even the players, and Trey Young and Dreymond Green are saying the All Star weekend sucked. I think it comes down to again transitional stage. They're figuring it out. The game has changed. We have lots of options, but we also don't really invest in anything that feels like an exhibition. So when the players feel like they're not playing and they don't care, it's like the Pro Bowl, Like the NFL is still a great product, Did you care about the Pro Bowl? No, because they don't care. They're playing patty Cake. And that's kind of what happened with the NBA All Star Game. They don't seem to care really that much, even though Trey Young is like, yo, we want to play. Yeah, But that's starting to happen with the NBA regular season, right And when it starts to feel like an exhibition, like, hey, do they even care, then it's hard.
Speaker 3: For you to care. You know, not not just All Star weekend.
Speaker 5: But you know, again, if if you didn't hear Draymond when you got one of the stars of the game talking about how he doesn't care, then.
Speaker 3: Then what are we doing here? They listen you work.
Speaker 15: All year to be an All Star and you get to play up to forty and then you're done. This is so unfair to Victor Winbyama, who just took this game really seriously, Shay Gilles Alexander, who just took this game really seriously. When you talk about not for the points, wreckers, mellow with Kobe and all these guys who've had great scaring nights, they don't get the opportunity to do that with this game. Also, we can watch some rising stars. We're about to watch the Olympic team. Now we get to treat of watching the Olympic team play against the U nineteen team.
Speaker 3: Come on, what are we doing all of one to ten? Your thoughts of the format.
Speaker 4: Ten being the best? Yes, A zero sucks. Zero sucks.
Speaker 3: Thanks to Draymond for endorsing your own product.
Speaker 2: And Trey Young even said that. To be honest, I didn't like it at all as far as how it all panned out and worked over the weekend, And that's fine. You got to take chances, got to figure it out. We're just again not complaining explaining.
Speaker 5: Ye I mean everyone everyone has been trying to, you know, figure this out. Adam Silvers you know, has a tough job of all the answers sort of being things that mean less money, meaning less games, maybe less playoff teams, But no, think those things will never happen because that just means less revenue. And then I asked you, do we just need some NBA start to do something we've never seen, meaning the way Michael Jordan flew through the air or the way Steph Curry was hitting, you know, half court threes. Does a young player need to do something different in the game that no one's ever done before?
Speaker 3: But what's left?
Speaker 5: What's left? What could someone do that no one's ever done before? Think about that, right, NBA? By the way, Danny G, what were your thoughts? You're the resident Laker but hardcore NBA fans supporter.
Speaker 4: Did you call me a Lakers? But yeah?
Speaker 3: What did you li? Lakers? Yeah?
Speaker 7: But yes, yeah, I mean I'm you guys are casual NBA fans, so I'm more of a basketball fan than you guys are.
Speaker 4: I thought it was okay.
Speaker 7: I mean I would give it a five out of ten right now because they still got to work the kinks out. So I'm curious to see how it is laid out for next season and if some stars get their butts into the slam Dunk contest, because that would change that. That's what initially as a little kid, drew me to the league. For All Star weekend. I wanted to see high flying action. I wanted to see Dominique and Jordan and spud Web and then a little bit later, you're New York, Nick or Bocker, you know who I'm talking about with the windmill in the high top fade. There were so many great stars and then guys who turned out to be borderline stars because they were in some of these competitions. So I understand what Raymond's saying. But at the same time, Rich you've been ranting on we need to know who these youngsters are and so they are getting some exposure. So we got to find a compromise here or something in the middle.
Speaker 5: I wonder if it's all ego based. I mean, and you're gonna be like, yeah, of course it is, like why aren't the stars participating in these contests?
Speaker 2: Well, Yannis, the story was Jiannis and Sean Morant were chirping on social media like, Yo, we gotta do this next year.
Speaker 3: I'm in if you're in.
Speaker 7: But it takes Mac McClung winning a third time for them to react and for them to get into this competition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if you're super casual, he's a G League star who the stat was kind of interesting over the weekend. He's made one hundred and thirty two thousand in his NBA career, in his full NBA career since like twenty twenty one, one hundred and thirty two thousand. In his slam dunk earnings three hundred and ten thousand.
Speaker 5: That's insane that a guy that you know is a non factor in the NBA is the guy that you're three time dunk champion.
Speaker 3: It just seems it seems silly to me. That's all part of it, though, Yeah, it is.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he should at least get to come off the magic bench. You know, I was talking about that high top fade. Rich, you had one of those back when you lived in New York, like Kenny Skywalker.
Speaker 3: That was the haircut, the two lines in it.
Speaker 5: It's just it's wild to think that ego would keep all these guys out of it. Well, anyway, Cavin on Rich Fox Sports Radio. Now, before we get to Danny J's boy, Lebron started that before we get to a big birthday today in the world of sports and some baseball baseball starting up, baseball, seat up, people are reporting to camp. I have a question, and it's more of a random hypothetical. I saw people debating this on social media. Do you find it acceptable? Well, you know, if everyone does their traveling, it's a holiday weekend. Is it acceptable to climb over someone in the middle seat on a plane?
Speaker 3: What do you mean if.
Speaker 5: You are supposed to use no If you're in the window seat and a stranger is next to you in the middle seat, yeah, and they're sleeping in the middle seat, do you give them a little nudge like I'm waking up? Or do you try to do the I'm gonna climb over.
Speaker 3: A stranger while they're sleeping.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, you could do that. I try you try to squeeze by without waking them up.
Speaker 7: That's when you hide with your jacket and you urinate into a big gold cup.
Speaker 3: Is that what you did, Daddy?
Speaker 15: No.
Speaker 5: I but there was a big debate on social media. I mean that's how this weekend was. You know, it was all NBA All Star at SNL fifty. But I did see people debating this, and I did wonder can you climb over a stranger?
Speaker 3: Because think about that.
Speaker 2: Your options are either to wake the person up you're you're saying, assuming they're sleeping, right, Yeah, of course if they're the person up, or try to like shimmy by them. I think you're a school boy if you're like standing on the seat trying to like hurdle them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you try to shimmy buy them.
Speaker 2: Or or wake them up. Those are your only options. Play it accordingly, man, Is it intrusive to that? Game?
Speaker 3: Must have been really boring if this is what people were debating.
Speaker 5: It, Is it intrusive to like hover your body over a stranger that if they wake up and you're right.
Speaker 2: Over them, I mean, take your Danny in the window seat, right, they're doing what you gotta do.
Speaker 3: In that situation.
Speaker 5: If you in the middle sea, would you appreciate someone trying to climb over you or wake you up?
Speaker 2: Hey, dude, that's why you got the middle seat. That's why nobody wants it. That's like the price you pay snooze you lose. Nobody wants the middle seat because of those reasons. Thought I throw it out there. Something I saw over the weekend, because people, it's also matter how limber and agile is that person trying to hurtle over you? You know, is it some some big hairy fella breathe my.
Speaker 4: Friends, Bartolo Cologne?
Speaker 3: Exactly?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is it some hot little chippy and yoga pants? You know, give me the scenario. Give you I was like, straddle over me. Then yeah, if it's Bartolo Cologne, I'm a little like annoyed by throwing it out there.
Speaker 5: Now today the big birthday, the big birthday in the world of sports. I want you to feel too old. But Michael Jordan turned sixty two today. Mj is sixty two. And there's two layers to this question. Layer one, is he the most popular forget athlete? Is he the most popular guy in the last fifty years on planet Earth? And then part two of the question, is it possible that in all sports baseball, basketball, football, tennis, hockey, you name it, will there ever be a brand bigger than the one created by Michael Jordan?
Speaker 2: Okay, you said in the last fifty years, that's nineteen seventy four, So the answer is gonna have to be seventy five. The answer is gonna have to be no to that because I'm not talking about just sports, I'm talking about talking worldwide, right, So you have to pick an international sport that would probably be like a Ronaldo or even fighting, you know, a Mike Tyson or Muhammad Ali because it was at least international. NBA was not international. The brand is now international and we all love it. But think of the movie with Matt Damon and Ben Affleck.
Speaker 3: What was it called Air? Yeah, I mean that was in the eighties, so.
Speaker 2: By the time it became an international monster, it was long past fifty years ago or before fifty years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I'm just saying I think if you said, if you were to say nineteen seventy five to twenty twenty five, I'm not even talking with sports. I'm saying on planet Earth, is.
Speaker 2: There a more popular guy who said in the past fifty years, past fifty years, Muhammad Ali was passed his prime, No, in seventy five, in late seventies. He was just fighting in the eighties, So you think, so you think Muhammad Ali is the answer theent I'm saying Jordan has surpassed all of that, But there has been other people internationally that were superstars are maybe just as big now with the sneaker brand, which I didn't have my first Jordan's until like eighty five, right was in like fifth sixth grade or something like that. Then it became an international thing. So there's been other people's my point, but you know, fast forward now, Yeah, your answer is dead on, spot on, And it seems like no one will ever be as big because the Jordan brand is so huge. But there has to be someone or something that comes along again and he's that next Jordan's. He's a lifetime, once in a lifetime kind of guy. But you know, once our lifetime is over, there'll be someone else.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 5: And I say that because other athletes have had successful sneak you know, lebron Kadi, steph is Shak had his sneaker brand and still does. All these guys have successfully done it, but they all pale in comparison to the billion dollar industry. Is the Jordan branch of Nike and everything.
Speaker 4: So seven billion dollars. By the way, you got to.
Speaker 5: Ask yourself, is there a baseball player, if Otani or who's the face of baseball?
Speaker 7: You know, you think it would have to be an international star like our grandkid's gonna say, oh, I got my Otani's on.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: The world's a bigger place or a smaller place, I should say now, And it'll be a guy like Otani. I'm not saying it is Otani, but it'll be a guy like Otaniani.
Speaker 3: If the new babe Ruth, there's gonna be a new Jordan.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but Otani if he came out with his own line of cleats and batting gloves and all baseball gear, I don't think every little boy and girl will be like, I need my Otani's.
Speaker 2: They also have to be fired too. It's a perfect storm. The Jordan's for kids. I know the famous clip of David Letterman talking about how ugly they were, Are you serious about these things? Kids loved them. They were fire and they're legendary. Still we still wear the same ones from eighty four eighty five.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all lettermen in that generation we're used to were boring. Basic converse right.
Speaker 3: Your white tennis sneaker, right, your basic converse shoe.
Speaker 5: It's almost because Michael Jordan. And much like anything in all businesses, it's the person that takes the big chance that has the biggest payoff him going with Nike, which at the time was like a you know, like a not a failing but a pretty mid level running shoe company. By him doing that, maybe that's the perfect storm because on his sixty second birthday it is.
Speaker 2: And it also built to the allure and mystique and legend of Air Jordan.
Speaker 5: That there were other basketball players that endorse sneakers, converse or and stuff like that. But is it just simply Michael Jordan was the first guy to really brand his own shoe to that level and no one will ever compare, whether it's Steph or why Lebron's career could compare.
Speaker 3: People debate that till this day. Think about the sneaker.
Speaker 5: Think of all the sneakers that have debuted in the NBA, all the stars of the league. They have millions of kids buying their sneaker, but nothing compares to a Jordan. And like even in baseball, I've recently been buying a lot of equipment. My kids are getting more involved in their little league and stuff.
Speaker 2: Not to him Jordan's career, but the shoe was fire, so that helped, right, It definitely helped, and it changed the game, and he marketed the hell out of it. The dude had gatorade, jingles and everything else. So I mean Lebron's career rivals, Jordan's his sneaker doesn't.
Speaker 5: Was Was Michael Jordan just the perfect guy at the perfect time and everything lined up like the fact that he was the most talented winner while at the same time also happened to be alive at a time where they took a chance on. Hey, maybe a basketball play with his own sneaker is a good idea. Was it just the perfect storm that no one will ever compete? Yeah, he also delivered.
Speaker 3: He was slamming from the foul line with the sneaker on. You know, so that also helps. Like think about it.
Speaker 5: You think that Facebook and Instagram and TikTok, you think those are the only social media attempts. There's clearly other companies that were like, oh no, will be the next social media. Everything's got to line up perfectly, And I think Michael Jordan on his sixty second birthday, you could argue, in the last fifty years might be the most popular human on earth and no one will ever have a bigger sports brand. Think about it, Tennis, bowling, hockey, baseball, basketball, Is there ever gonna be a guy who sells billions of dollars of their logo.
Speaker 2: You know, it just sounds possible, right, We're a blip on the radar the timeline of life. You don't think there is going to be some guy in thirty twenty five where again he surpasses this. I mean, you know, maybe in our lifetime for sure. Ever, no, most popular in the last fifty years. Yeah, you know what, that's a great debate. I would say you're probably right because of the brand at this point. I mean, Tom Brady's a huge brand with TB twelve and everything he represents. Shack does a Shack does a million endorsements. Everybody knows the Jumpman logo, everybody knows the shoe internationally, you know, not everybody got to see him play, so the legacy still lives on.
Speaker 3: It's crazy perspective community. That would be like.
Speaker 5: Joe Montana, right, having a branded cleat or football equipment that till this day people are still talking like, oh, Mahomes is wearing the Montanas. Like you know what I'm saying. It just seems ridiculous that these young stars, the Marinos, they their stars in their own regard, yet they're still wearing Jordan branded stuff.
Speaker 3: I just think he is. He's that one guy.
Speaker 5: And yeah, maybe our grandparents would say what Babe Ruth did for baseball and the fact that he was like a larger than life, almost cartoon character, the type of guy, the way they describe him, I think.
Speaker 3: Most popular in the past fifty years.
Speaker 2: I'll give you that one, right, I was just throwing out other names in the past fifty Years'll.
Speaker 3: Say one hundred.
Speaker 2: Maybe Muhammad Ali is the only one that rivals them. No, because again we're thinking America based. It eventually became international with the shoe brand NBA. No one cared about internationally at that time, right, can anyone compete?
Speaker 3: I'd have to say yeah, probably because.
Speaker 2: Of international celebrity now and superstars in the soccer game and and even baseball, So I will say yeah, And I mean, obviously NBA it's an international sport now, So the opportunity for this to happen is there on a much larger scale, I would say eventually. But again, it was a if you were trying to dissect, well, how did that happen? It was a perfect store of Austin. He delivered, he won, he was great, and no shoes were.
Speaker 3: Dope you needed, and they marketed it perfectly, like so everything.
Speaker 5: You could argue the same about a lot of things, like something as silly as Kelly Clarkson.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 5: I saw a meme that said, we got American Idol right the first time. We didn't need the twenty five more seasons. Like to think about how she was the first winner of a singing reality show and you know, she's as big a star now as ever before. Sometimes it's the perfect storm of talent and timing and everything that I think it's hard to argue that anyone.
Speaker 2: Can anyone compete if Ronaldo had some fire sneakers that translated internationally for everybody in casual use and where, but those guys all had their primary and it didn't happen. I meant that type of guy look at his social media following. You don't think someone with international fame like that could compete in the future. I do, But it would. They would be an Otani type and it would need he just needs a shoe.
Speaker 5: COVID would need to be a sport though that translates in the United States. Not that we dictate everything, but you can't call something the biggest in the world pop culture wise, if it's not popular in the US and soccer football just doesn't translate on that grand of scale where the NBA internationally is only getting bigger and bigger. So I think if Jordan's not the answer, I would love to hear who you think it is? At eight seven, seven, nine to nine on Fox on his sixty second birthday?
Speaker 3: Is Michael Jordan one of one?
Speaker 4: Essentially?
Speaker 3: It's amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you have little kids in your life, they still want Jordan's, They still talk about I bought my nephew pair of Jordan's for Christmas that he wanted. I mean, you obviously know how popular the brand is.
Speaker 5: Cool Uncle Steve buying an eight year old Jordan's and he appreciates it.
Speaker 3: He's eight, right, They know that jump man logo.
Speaker 2: So the question is is he the most popular in the past fifty years? Because he's sixty two and we're still buying his shoes and talking about the guy. And can anyone ever compete with that sort of fame and fortune?
Speaker 5: What would it have to be like? Describe the scenario. Would it have to be like such an elite guy like Mahomes almost three repeated, You know was, you know, one bad game away from winning four of the last what five?
Speaker 3: And he doesn't have a fire shoe.
Speaker 5: He doesn't have a shoe or a brand of anything where you like kids like I need the mahomes.
Speaker 2: He's investing in ketchup, you know. And again it was it was not pushing the the mystique of this guy, you know, Air Jordan.
Speaker 3: I mean all these things added to it. Rich.
Speaker 2: It's like, you know, who had that sort of mystique about them, Mike Tyson invincible. He was invincible at one point. If he had a fire shoe, we might be rocking it.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show week Day. I said nine am Eastern, six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio wap Man.
Speaker 2: I saw Shaq and the hallway. He looks big and tired. Thank everybody's tired. Getting ready for Shack Diesel Trivia Again, we're Covino and Rich No Bad Case of the Mondays in for Dan Patrick, Day one of the Dan Patrick hat Trick, and again on Friday in for Colin on the hurt So Busy week Cross. But we're on Monday through Friday five to seven on the East right here on Fox Sports Radio search Covino and Rich. We appreciate it. We're live in Mercedes Benz Studios. Most cars on the road could use a little TLC. At Maco, we bring your car back to life with affordable paint jobs and light collision repairs.
Speaker 3: Get a free estimate today. Uh oh, better get Miko.
Speaker 5: Let's take a few more phone calls on this first pitch. Not necessarily about the first pitch. It is today's President's day. Taft first president to throw out a first pitch. And I said, it's very easy to assess another grown man, another grown man.
Speaker 3: Okay, how he throws a ball? How about this?
Speaker 2: It's not an accurate assessment because plenty of pro athletes get out there and he embarrassed themselves.
Speaker 3: Right, but you do make a judgment. I think that's safe to say.
Speaker 5: It might be the judgest I yet, right, right, It might not be accurate, but you're judging.
Speaker 3: For instance, for sure, Mike, who runs this place? What's up, Mike?
Speaker 6: Party people in the house.
Speaker 4: Mike.
Speaker 5: The first time you came in the studio, when we first met you a couple of years ago, and you threw me the football that was.
Speaker 3: Sitting in here.
Speaker 5: My instinct was, oh, Mike played sports as a kid, right, you could assess.
Speaker 3: Another grown man by how he throws the ball.
Speaker 6: I went to you guys one hundred percent. And in fact, you know, Steve likes to call himself the King Spiral over there.
Speaker 3: I mean, in all fairness, people call me that.
Speaker 6: So here's the deal. When when I first heard that, I'm like, you guys are ridiculous. There's no way. So we throw the football around a little bit, and you know what, King Spiral Brod Marino Spiral X me.
Speaker 2: Hey, I was a gym class hero. I could throw football for sure. I mean because I played in the streets as a kid growing up. Let's uh, let's go to Sean and York PA. What's up Sean Convi on ritching for DP.
Speaker 14: I'm good. I agree with that one hundred percent. Actually, I say it goes a lot sooner than that, because, like, I'm a coach for my kids, and that was my biggest thing was giving kids high five. You can walk up to a kid and you put your hand up giving high five, and you smack your hand like you know hard. You're like, oh, I want you on my baseball team.
Speaker 3: That's you. You are so right.
Speaker 5: There are times I'm starting to coach a little kids. Some buddy, some kids like what a lot be high five?
Speaker 1: Little guy?
Speaker 3: What is your dad not teach you at high five?
Speaker 5: Bringing in pal? Uh, let's say hi to Jerry and Tampa. Jerry, what's up, buddy?
Speaker 11: Hey, you guys know what it is.
Speaker 5: Jerry, do you agree that you can assess someone by how they throw a ball?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 11: I believe so because I've had You know, I grew up playing baseball, and every when I was little, uh and uh, you could pretty much tell yeah, some of the guys that were hanging out playing music and the guys that were playing the ball. So yeah, I could tell you.
Speaker 3: Jerry, Jerry.
Speaker 5: It's the guy doesn't need to be piled on because he's had a rough enough month after the Super Bowl halftime show. But Drake, he was in that video where Drake's like I played ball as a kid, Yes, I have, and zen and then he like swings a bat and throws a ball and You're like, no, Drake, you did not play ball as a kid.
Speaker 4: Who did not? You did?
Speaker 5: Team Ketchri Go marn Now Uh, Jerome and South Carolina what's up man?
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 4: Drum?
Speaker 3: Hold on, Danny's on the phones, man, I hope Jerome's okay?
Speaker 1: Phones?
Speaker 5: Draw hot?
Speaker 3: What's up, drum? Where do you go?
Speaker 12: The young generation just a bunch of dor too anymore? Better go play soccer. They didn't even want to play football anymore. He shock looked gumbin and a half too. He looked quality cub his way to look so dumb and sound dump. He wanted to give this Carter one two hundred grandpa from him. Recreators. Dump. Come on, man, I don't want see anymore dunks. Learned how to play basketball, how to shoot a basketball?
Speaker 3: Thank you jove. Jim in La. What's up?
Speaker 11: Jim yo yo yo?
Speaker 13: You got to hear me? Okay, yeah, you're on.
Speaker 4: What's up? Man?
Speaker 11: Okay? I got it?
Speaker 13: You guys ready, yes, sir, this is out. I grew up South La Long Beach, Laquid Area, a little great town. They had a great parks and rec program. And when we played sports, guess what they did, fellas what's that? You got it?
Speaker 11: You're right on the topic.
Speaker 13: So that sports you would play, you would get on a team, and you would last all three sports through the year.
Speaker 11: So you can start with.
Speaker 13: Baseball, go to flag football, and go to basketball, all on the same team. And the one metric they used they gave you a baseball, you were at the white line, and you threw it for distance. The first Frank got through the farthest. The coaches gathered a week later and they drafted the kids based on how far they through the baseball.
Speaker 5: It's it's basic, and we will wrap it with Alex in North Dakota. Then we'll play a little shack diesel trivia, give you some prizes. Alex wrapped us up. Man.
Speaker 3: Oh there he is. Oh hey, what's up? Buddy's worried about him? What's up?
Speaker 4: Budd?
Speaker 16: I totally agree with the you know, judging a man by how you can throw it, but also if you go back to like little League when you're playing. He also judged the team by how they were warming up, how they were throwing. Were they throwing all over the place, and yeah, they're horrible.
Speaker 3: You know. It's so funny.
Speaker 5: And Covino and I didn't grow up together, Alex, but we have the same memory that I think every kid had, which was when you went to an opposing high school.
Speaker 3: The minute you got off the bus.
Speaker 5: When you watch the other team warm up, if their uniforms look cool, if their field is manicured picture, if the picture was popping the glove on the side, you're like, oh, no adation factor, Yeah doubt.
Speaker 2: When they would do their infield drill, you know, could the short stop play with sort of arms?
Speaker 3: Did they have?
Speaker 2: You make those assessments, You make those judgments. It's just how it is, whether it's right or wrong. Rich is right, all right, Well he.
Speaker 3: Props the taft he had he clocked in at ninety seven. Back then they said that, Yeah, yeah, ninety seven mop hour heater.
Speaker 5: You know what it's time let's give away some prizes with some Shack Diesel trivit.
Speaker 1: Whenever we say not to name drop, that means we're about to name drop drop.
Speaker 3: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 1: Not only our CNR friends with Tyson and Mahomes, hey man, they're also buddies with a big Aristotle.
Speaker 8: What's up, Big Shot Diesel aka Shackfou aka Shack Daddy Oka, the Big Aristotle.
Speaker 4: Here's what it's don some c O product.
Speaker 1: Time for some basketball trivia.
Speaker 4: Diesel basketball trivia. What he said, I used to great bat boards now breaking records for Refisolt Radio.
Speaker 1: Shack Desel basket Ball trivia.
Speaker 7: All right, FSR security walking broke Shack into the main studio.
Speaker 8: Good morning fellas, Good morning fellas. You guys trip loud. He talking about throwing. I can throw a baseball, I throw you throw a wall though, team to throw you. I can throw you across the room.
Speaker 4: That great job over the All Star weekend.
Speaker 8: Judging people based on how they throw. I judge you on your wallet size, how much you make? I made fifteen million a year. Now it's mt fifteen million years inside the NBA.
Speaker 4: What are you making? Judging people?
Speaker 7: Thank you shocking Shack with his usual bravado this morning. Here are the rules for Shack Diesel trivia.
Speaker 3: Either way, no congratulations, Team Shack.
Speaker 7: The o gez nah that four game for fourteen game to decide things with.
Speaker 4: I enjoyed it.
Speaker 7: We won, all right, yeah wimpy scoring four Team Chuck. The first contestant with two correct answers is the champion. If there's a tie, we have a tie breaker question. Your name is your buzzer, but you do have to wait until all three possible answers are read. If there's two wrong answers in a row. We move on to the next question, and Sean and Sacramento is playing for a sweet There was up sewn, Hey.
Speaker 3: Sean, Yo, my dad Patrick going off? There was he man, good morning, what's up?
Speaker 4: All right? Sean?
Speaker 7: You know how to play? And here we go with round one. Let's hear that bell? Hey, there we go, Shack, it's time for you. Where are we fighting? Who's going on? And by the way, who's this guy right here? It looks like that's big Big Spikes. Yeah, Big Mike, by the way is sitting in for Spotty boy. There was a big Mike, Big Mike who runs his He's not that big. It's gonna be one of our contestants ten times win a Rich Davis overs up and let's get this.
Speaker 8: On all right, Rowan, let the big Aristontal party start. Who's the first NBA game? The first NBA game was played between New York Knicks and the Toronto Huskies in what year A nineteen forty six, b nineteen thirty seven or CEE nineteen twenty.
Speaker 3: Sean Sean Shaun nineteen Yes, damn Sean man far he's quick on the Google's who they played that they played the who the Toronto played the Huskies.
Speaker 4: Huskies.
Speaker 7: Yeah, all right, and Sean is halfway to a stain of steel water bottle as we go around round two. Give us that boxing bell again.
Speaker 4: Round two.
Speaker 8: I'm a big part of bringing big diesel oc ratings back to the NBA, which team isn't helping to cause though they have the worst record in the league right now? Is it a the Wizards be the Hornets? We'll see the Pelicans.
Speaker 4: Sean, Oh my goodness, MN Sean here quick? Yeah, Sean, quick on the draw? What's your answer?
Speaker 12: I'm gonna thro at this man, going for my third win the NBA.
Speaker 11: Fizz AIA Washington DC.
Speaker 4: The Wizards. You are correct?
Speaker 3: So they are nine and forty five are terrible? Hey, Big Mic, like.
Speaker 4: That was brutal. Good thing I was here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Sean's a good player. Thanks to see you though.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Congrat Sean. So like he's like Mac McClung, he's a three time winner. I know, geez is that it's shah, We're done. I came all the way here for this.
Speaker 3: You were, Big Mike for no reason.
Speaker 8: Se I just killed her after All Star weekend and make me wake up to come here for two minutes.
Speaker 3: Two minutes. That's it. You're set, all right, I take a Covino rich doing you're doing a great.
Speaker 8: Job, and uh, I.
Speaker 4: Wish you guys the best. So I'm out of broth. See Covino looking through the windows ready to come back.
Speaker 6: Guys.
Speaker 3: All right, I got money to make play a shack bye guys. Man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I knew he was quick. He was good at the games and Sean.
Speaker 7: When Sean called, He's like, I don't have the new Midnight Black Sweegey. I want to play really bad. And I'm like, all right, we'll let you go. I didn't know he was going to sweep you guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's pretty damn good. Thank you Sean for playing. Uh, Coveno and rich In for Dan Patrick. Now, and that was quick. Let me you know that that one's so quick. Let me throw a little subthing that extraly I wasn't going to bring up today. But this is more one of those what do you do? I have a almost a John Kinonic, you know, the big head of guy in ABC.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what would you do? You're the big head of guy on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: So, by the way, thanks to thanks again to Big Mike for Stu up and In and Sean, congrats on the big win.
Speaker 3: Enjoy your swiggy.
Speaker 2: If anyone else wants a CNR on FSR stainless Swiggy just like our podcast, even if you don't like it, search Covino and Rich on Apple Podcasts. Leave a nice review and you qualify for a prize. But we're always playing games. We'll do more this sweet and by the way.
Speaker 5: I if you enjoy our style and you just like hanging in, chopping it up like we do. If we're not on in your market, yeah, he goes. Dan Patrick's on in more places than any other radio show.
Speaker 3: So you don't like your style, You're wearing sweatpants and crocs. I'm not wearing crocs. By the way, what do you wear? I'm wearing Jordan's. We're in Jordan's sweat pan. It's more.
Speaker 5: Do you think I'm gonna put on legitimate pants at six a m. Yeah, I'm comfy, dude, It's comfy, cozy. Who am I trying to impress?
Speaker 4: It is cold?
Speaker 3: Who trying to impress? Big Mic or Danny k or Mark them?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 3: So give me the what would you do? This is my what would you do.
Speaker 5: I feel like, uh, I feel like I'm clearly and definitely not alone. And it's that time of year where kids sport for the for the spring, or starting up right. My daughter's got her softball, my son starts t ball, and I get wrangled to being a coach, and I can jokingly complain about it, but I'll be honest, I do love it. I do love teaching these little kids the sport of baseball and softball.
Speaker 3: It brings me joy.
Speaker 4: I know a lot of.
Speaker 5: Feel like a lot of people can feel that way about any whatever their sport is, soccer, basketball, flag football, tackle football. When you could pass your love of a sport onto the kids, it really is a good feeling. So while I jokingly complain about it, I love it, I don't love the fact that, you know, my new car, the car my wife and I got, has now become just storage for tees and catchers, equipment and bags.
Speaker 2: And you know, I mean, isn't that why you got that giant truck SUV whatever the hell and a big giant it's you know, we.
Speaker 5: Got that third row, Yeah, just so we could throw down the chairs and just have teas and a quick in bats and barrels and band it is what it is. You know what happens when you have two little nose pictures. You become sports parents. And I love it again, who doesn't love sports? We're here on Fox Sports Radio. I am the coach from my daughter's softball team and my son's t ball team so far, Like I said, I love the joy of passing down.
Speaker 3: Whatever little knowledge I have.
Speaker 5: I feel like I know baseball pretty well and I feel like I'm like fun time coach.
Speaker 3: I bring out the bluetooth speaker. I bring them a little treats.
Speaker 5: I try to be like until we get competitive, which my daughter is now becoming competitive against it's eight years.
Speaker 3: You want them to feel good about the sport, and you want them to have fun. You want to have them associate the sport with fun, now with negative few.
Speaker 5: I put the message out there of that listen first and first mostly listen parents, I want your kids to have fun. This is sports. Sports are fun. Some of my best memories playing sports as a kid fun even and four. So it's not like, yeah, you're that competitive, So I was like, and secondly, though, I do want to teach your kids some discipline, and I want.
Speaker 3: Them to put the fun and fundamentals, and I.
Speaker 5: Want them to learn the game but also learn how to win the right way and lose the right way, you know, trying to teach them all the right things.
Speaker 3: Here's my John Kones. What would you do? What do you do.
Speaker 5: When your kid is the pain in the ass on your team and you're the coach, Cause you know, when you want to like like you're inside, like good over here.
Speaker 2: You know what's embarrassing about that? The other kids will never forget that. Like I could still picture my coach's son crying because you know, he got hit by a pitch or he was the brat, Like I remember him saying, like you sual.
Speaker 17: You're gonna give me a Nintendo game for going out yet, you know, like crying and kicking his feet at home plate like in this is you know, years ago, and I still remember that.
Speaker 5: I remember the kids a crowd when they got hit hit by a pitch. I remember the kid that was a little beotch. I remember all this stuff. Listen, that's when you were a little older. My son, he turned five this past weekend. He's don't forget those He literally just turned five two days ago.
Speaker 3: That said. One of the first things I did at the first baseball practice.
Speaker 5: All right, kids, we got ten little boys here, we're gonna make two groups of five.
Speaker 3: We're gonna stretch out, and then we're gonna do a relay race.
Speaker 5: My son was the one kid that's like, I don't want to and I'm like, all right, kids, get over here.
Speaker 3: I don't want to. Hey Ben, listen. I'm not only your dad, but when we're here, I'm the coach, so you gotta listen. Nope.
Speaker 5: How do you react when your kid is the non listener and you're the coach? Is it because you're his I can't stop down the practice and be like so yeah, like when he do that for another coach, or it is just because you're his dad.
Speaker 3: Don't know? And I'm like, didn't being the coach?
Speaker 5: Am I distinct now that my kid's not going to get the discipline because he thinks he can get away with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, maybe your assistant coach is the guy that tells him, Hey Ben, you know, because he's not listening to you because you're his father and he doesn't listened to.
Speaker 3: You at home, so why would he listen now?
Speaker 5: And by the way, just just for the record, coaching the girls and boys wait to see wear.
Speaker 2: Pants to practice because every time I see Rich's son, kid's not wearing pants, I just his little under rus all the time.
Speaker 5: I do want to point this out with the little boys. You know, we act like everyone's the same. Little boys and girls act different.
Speaker 3: I coach.
Speaker 5: You know, the girls are starting to become more competitive now, but these five year old little boys are maniacs. They are hard to wrangle. And all the parents gave me a me Every parent like pulled me aside, like, hey, it's okay if you yelled my kid and discipline him. He's a little maniac boy. So how do you discipline your own kid when you're coach. We don't need to harp on it. But if you want to hit me up at Rich Davis, I'm old ears because I wanted to.
Speaker 2: My suggestion is you have an assistant coach, right, yeah, he has the guy to enforce like, hey, cause I imagine has a level of respect for his teachers and other parents and adults that he doesn't for whatever reason for you and I get that that's just how kids are sometimes. So maybe it's the assistant shop to tell your kid. Hey, hey, Benny boy, do a lap or whatever. And obviously the other kids are giving that respect to you, so you're covered though what I wanted to do so badly, but I didn't give him a wedgie, Yeah, give him a little I did want to do that, yeah, but I didn't.
Speaker 4: I know you.
Speaker 3: I wanted to decide to give him a little slapping that and the helmet. Know what else I wanted to do.
Speaker 5: I went to Starbucks afterwards, and I want to be like, Ben, you want that cake popping?
Speaker 4: And I was.
Speaker 3: I wanted to buy one and eat it in front of him, but that I didn't.
Speaker 2: Honestly, I think that's a great idea. You know, Yeah, he doesn't get a gain raider or slopey on the way home.
Speaker 3: Whatever you're doing.