Speaker 1: It is Thursday, February thirteenth, twenty twenty five. This is another edition of Football Today, presented to you by Captain Morgan, the official Spice Drum of the NFL. My dudes, we're all back together. Bobby Skinner, Justin Pennock, Chris Rose, producer Connor putting it all together. Bobby, I gotta be honest with you. Saw Justin Pennock down there at the Super Bowl. I know I wasn't on Monday Show obviously with the travel back and everything else. But Pennick had a chance to meet missus Rose. So now we're going to have to have you meet Missus Rose at some point too.
Speaker 2: Well, did you get the wedding invite? Sorry? That was mean. No. I tried to score with you for a second.
Speaker 1: No, dude, I thought maybe I was going to Spain. Isn't that where we're getting married? Oh wait, it's Florida. It's the same place.
Speaker 2: Yeah maybe maybe you know, maybe one day we'll all move there. Okay, but yeah I got to meet missus Rose. Well, I was meeting mister Pennock, even though you've met him a bunch of times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, for her, it was probably the most memorable part of going to New Orleans in Super Bowl fifty nine. Like, if she were to rank it, it certainly wouldn't be the game. It might be like he might be somewhere in between the post Malone concert and having dinner at our niece's house. So pettic. At least you made the list, buddy, what.
Speaker 2: You think of the halftime show?
Speaker 1: I thought it. I think she thought it was fine. I'm not. Why do you try to be a shitster? What are we doing here?
Speaker 2: Because I watched Instagram reels and then I'm as on Twitter and it's very funny because Twitter is like that you don't understand it, and then Instagram is making fun of the you don't understand the people. I kind of side with Instagram, like it's not for me. Okay, I don't like it.
Speaker 1: It's fine. Not everybody has to like everything, you know. I don't think people love the Rolling Stones when they played there, like a decade and a half ago or whatever. It's fine except Chris Rose.
Speaker 2: Everybody has to like Chris Rose.
Speaker 1: That's not true. That's not true. You should check social media on that one. All right, we're gonna have a fun show coming up. We're gonna touch on the AFC. We're gonna break it down in terms of what has to happen for every team, what should they want in the offseason. It could be an individual move, it could be something that has to happen with their coaching from something that has to happen for this team in order for like twenty twenty five to be a success or at least get point in the right direction. We're gonna do that in just a second, But first let's start with this. Kellen Moore has a new job. He was Philly's oc during the Super Bowl run. He is now new Orleans head coach Bobby Is this a going to be a smashing success or he just kind of meh on the move?
Speaker 2: I think Kellen Moore is as mad as a coach as there is. Obviously he's offense coordinator for the Super Bowl?
Speaker 1: Is that just because of the way he looks? Is that what you're doing?
Speaker 2: No? I mean it's it's I've watched the Cowboys offenses. Obviously the Chargers got fired mostly because you know, got fired because he was what they're with Brandon Staley. But you know, I don't think anybody was super impressed with what he did that year with Justin Herbert. I think, like, tell me, like what part of his offensive game planning really just blows you away. I Mean they hand they run the ball really well, which with Saquon Barkley in that offensive line, and they they get one on ones for aj Brown. Like I was much more impressed with the way Shane Stiken had that Eagles offense than Kellen Moore. I think he is middle of the road, But at the same time, I think it's a solid enough higher for the Saints, who are an undesirable location to go to with all of the dead cap and how they're going to fix that. A GM who's been there for twenty plus years, a quarterback who you really can't get rid of in Derek Carr. But it's not that good defense to that is you know, lacking players up front, Like it's not it's not a fun situation in New Orleans. Like their best player on offense is extremely injury prone. And Chris Chris o'love.
Speaker 3: You know, I will say if I am a Saints fan and I'm watching that Super Bowl, I am I am a little bit jazzed up, being like, oh, well, this is a guy that just kind of outdueled Steve Spagnolo. Now, obviously you have the impact of Saquon Barkley, and you know you have all those linebackers and safeties with their eyes in the backfield, like on that DeVante Smith long touchdown in the second half. You know that's play action and all the eyes are in the backfield. And then Stevante Smith won on one. So you know, you look at it, but like, oh, it's simple stuff. But I very much could have seen a world where Kellen Moore runs the same old predictable stuff and Steve Spagnolo had him figure it out and then the Chiefs kind of take over that game and win. And that absolutely did not happen. So if I'm a Saints game, I'm seeing Kellen Moore call that game against Steve spag Nolan, one of the best defense coordinators all time, one of the best, the most successful defensive coordinators all time, And I'm like, all right, you just did it in my home stadium. Welcome Kellen Moore, and we'll see what we got. The Saints have more of a conversation to like, what are we going to be as a franchise. I think that's honestly like the biggest question that they need to answer this offseason, more than Kellen Moore, more than what do they do at quarterback? It's like, all right, well, we're at a fork in the road because we've done all this stuff with the salary and all this stuff with pushing guys back, like Alfa Kamara has like a thirty million dollar cap hit. Are we gonna eat it? And are we gonna kind of live in this bad world for a second or are we going to continue to operate business as usual and backload contracts, backload contracts and try and kind of like this win now thing. That's more of the more pressing question for the Saints.
Speaker 1: If you're to rank the thirty two teams in terms of one being most interesting in thirty two being leased, they're pretty damn close to thirty two because there's even some bad teams, Like you could take my team for instance, that is interesting. You've got their best player ever defensively requesting a trade. They're trying to figure out how to do the quarterback. If you look at the new Owns Saints, you're like, ye, like, I think that's my perfect reaction, and I think Ellen Moore kind of fits into that category and only shaking his hand once. He seems like a really, really nice person. The biggest question I think we all have is something that we don't know about, which is what is he going to be like when he has to stand in front of a room full of dudes and lead them right? You could see a little bit with Ben Johnson he was more than just this cute play caller, like when he got in front of the microphone in Chicago. There's a lot of swagger with him right now. When Kevin O'Connell went up to Minnesota, he looks like a fricking head. I don't know if you guys have ever stood near him, seen him on the sideline. That is a giant man. Kellen Moore looks like he could hide in a cubicle during tech season and you know crush accounting, Like that's a little bit what it looks like. So I think the questions we've got most about him are the ones that we won't see or have answers to until either he's successful or not successful. I think that's kind of the point here.
Speaker 2: And he's left handed. I think the I'm a lefty too, but I love watching at Boys State I saw that Shador Sanders broke the college completion percentage record and people were bragging about that, and it's like, yes, second place is Colt Brandon Rustlin Prieze, third place Kellen Moore. So he's to be a great fifth round pick. Anyways, I think the hires man or a lot right. It seems like Brandon Staley may be the favorite to get the defensive coordinator job. I don't know if I love that, especially with their personality. They don't really have the guys up front to run a Brandon Staley defense the way it probably should be operated. I think of the staff matters. And again, the more interesting the thing with the New Orleans is what are they going to do with team building? Because to continue to do it the same way they've done it is just it's yeah, you're what are you trying to accomplish it?
Speaker 1: Except that Mickey Loomis is still the guy making the calls. He's been doing it for almost twenty five years, So I mean, what do we mean? What what's he going to do? Why would they vary from what they have done?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 2: Why would they is because they should? But I agree with you, I don't. I don't I don't believe that they will, like you said, because it's the same guy like that's been doing it for all those years. So what what type of signal of change?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: I think they extended Alvin Camorrow when it felt like that was going to end this offseason. So like what again? Like like you just said, Rose, why would they Yep?
Speaker 1: Okay, So now we're going to get down to the wish list for each NFL team, basically the biggest priority this offseason, something that can get you pointed in the right direction if it actually happens, and we're going to just focus on the AFC team. So we're going to go in reverse draft order, Pennick, you and I are going to do five teams apiece. But because Bobby is the biggest football head we know, Bobby, are you okay to do six teams? Are you all right with that?
Speaker 2: I am no Hay Arnold, but I am a football head.
Speaker 1: Okay. I guess I'll bat leadoff since you all gave me the Titans, right, I guess I'll go first. All right?
Speaker 2: I have that in the halftime show.
Speaker 1: Stop trying to convince yourself that Will Levis is the dude I think we're just about all the way there, right, Mike Borgonzi is the guy that's that's coming in and taking over for ran carthin as the GM. Now, he did say early on, we will not pass on a generational talent at one. From everything we're being told, that does not mean that we're going to take cam warders Sanders, right. Nobody thinks that those are generational talents. There are people that think that they can be starting quarterbacks, high end, maybe decent quarterbacks, and perhaps playoff winning quarterbacks if everything falls the right way. But they have to go this direction. They have to find their next dude in the building because even when they have made the playoffs over the last ten twelve years, it's been Ryan Tannehill and Marcus Mariota, and those guys haven't been good enough. So you know what, I would say, take your chance on cam Ward. I would say, go do it. Don't give me the whole generational talent thing. Let's not say that because that's not what he is. But at the same time, in my opinion, the second best quarterback in franchise history, and this is dating back to their days in Houston, Warren Moon was the best, and then Steve Air McNair when he was drafted third overall the year that he came out in ninety five. I believe he came from Division two alcorn State, and those were the big questions. Can he step up big time and play against NFL talent well with cam Ward who played at three different schools including Incarnate Ward. Can he get it done? I say, screw it, go for it. Just convince yourself that he's the right guy. Just make the pick, please, That's what I would say.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we'll get the answer on the Titans in free agency because if they're not drafting a quarterback or they plan on trading down, then you they're gonna have to spend a decent amount of money on whatever quarterback and free agency if that's Sam Darnold or whoever, like you said that Will Levis cannot be the plan like he can be the backup at best here. So yeah, it'll be interesting to see what they do. Again. That generational line I thought was taken a little too far. It's been me an hour trying to find it. By the way, it was on some random radio show, So yeah, I agree, they got to kind of figure out what they're doing at quarterback.
Speaker 1: All right, Pennick, you're up next to my Cleveland Browns who are drafting second.
Speaker 3: All right, So this is kind of like a two pronged approach that I have for the Browns, because I think I would be okay with either of these. Either embrace kind of like a full tank and a full rebuild by trading away Miles Garrett and the number two pick and and.
Speaker 1: Oh god, or.
Speaker 3: Convince Miles Garrett to stay and take up to a Carter with the second overall pick, and holy smokes, I don't know what that offense looks like. But is that a defense? I mean, the defense is still fun for the Cleveland Browns, but is that a defense that is getting getting some eyeballs looked at it? Because it is? Because that would be an awesome defense.
Speaker 1: I would like to go b please on that. I'm sorry, I cannot. I cannot. We've been through too many unintentional tanks in Cleveland. I cannot do that. I appreciate it, but please don't make that happen, please, because there's no guarantee that whatever quarterback comes next, if it's Arch Manning or somebody else a will even be there. If you luck into a couple extra wins. You could be sitting sixth and set a first and there's no guarantee that he's gonna be great. We just don't know that stuff. Everybody thought Trevor Lawrence was going to be incredible. Guess what his team's drafting fifth this year.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I agree that the idea of if of like, oh well, we can wait next year to get a quarterback. My thing is just if you think a quarterbacks where they have it, take it. If you don't, like, don't think about like, never pass up on someone that you think is franchise worthy because remember what was the last team that was told to do that, The Texans and they ended up getting CJ. Strouds. So I think that ended up working out with them. But I mean, you're a Browns fan, what is your course of action? What's your wish? I know you don't have this team, but like, what would you be your wishless?
Speaker 1: Well, they have to figure out what's going on with Miles. They have to, and it's easy to say, well, he doesn't want to be here. It's the beginning of February game. We don't play a football game for seven months, so there is a lot of time to figure this out, to get him an extension, to try and say, hey, listen, dude, everybody thinks that this has been consistently three and fourteen. It hasn't been all right since Stefanski and Barry took over. And Andrew Barry does have his shortcomings when it comes to the draft. His record is not good, but it hasn't been consistent three and fourteen. This was this was the outlier during the Stefanski Bary era. It really has been right. They've been to the playoffs twice. They had an eight and nine season, they had a seven and ten season. Three and fourteen was horrible. But let's not act like this is what it's been year after year after year for the last five because that's not it's just not accurate.
Speaker 3: I have a secondary of spin speaking of Stefanski, and I have a secondary goal for the Browns and specifically for him him now, Bobby and Rose. I remember there was one point where we were talking about Kevin Stefanski and his rushing schemes and his run schemes, as like this is one of the most elaborate, awesome stuff in the NFL. And with the you know, acquiring Deshaun Watson. We've gone away from that. We've gone away from heavy personnel, We've gone away from running the ball, running an offense through Nick Chubb. Now, I don't know what this stage in Nick Chubb's I don't know if you can do that, but I think, you know, if you invest properly at running back and offensive line, I think you can kind of get back to that. I want Kevin Stefanski to get back to what made him initially successful with the Cleveland Browns and why the Cleveland Browns initially were a spot that wanted to make such an aggressive trade for a quarterback like Deshaun Watson. You figured, oh, they can make that trade because of the infrastructure that they have, and then the offense just needed that quarterback to kind of take him over the top. That's my challenge for Stefanski this year. Scrap this eleven personnel stuff. Let's get some more tight ends on the field. It's got some more offensive linemen on the field. Let's start running the damn ball again, because that's where the NFL is too.
Speaker 1: Well. They did that to appease to Shawn. In my opinion, I don't know that for a fact where they brought in a new OC and Kevin Stefanski, he goes down. He's going down calling the plays he wants and I think you'll see a difference in that. Yeah, let's move on. The New England Patriots have the fourth pick in the draft. Bobby Skinner, what's the wish list?
Speaker 2: This is the team that I think most reasonably can accomplish the things on their wish list because they have Drake May build the offensive line, whether that's not just signs in free agency or the draft. They just sign in free agency. Attack it with the fourth pick. If you don't like the value at the fourth pick, and you know, you know you don't want to pass up on Carter or Hunter, trade back because you need to protect that asset and let that asset and Drake May thrive. And here's why I'm not talking about wide receiver when it comes to being the number one, because I think wide receiver they should be able to take care of. If there is one team that you say, go spend twenty eight million dollars on t Higgins, it is the New England Patriots. His skill set fits with Drake May's twenty six years old. They have the most cap space in the NFL one hundred, one hundred and twenty million. Use it. And then when you draft, when you signed to Higgins, go try and get your wide receiver too, and free agency as well. You know a Darius Slayton from the New York Giants, make him your wide receiver too. Spend the more money there. Let Pop Douglas be your slot, and then just set yourself up for the draft to go heavy, heavy, heavy in the trenches like I would spend free agency, you know, hitting some of the glamour spots and then allowing ourselves in the draft to go heavy, heavy, heavy in the trenches.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know, it's the old adage. If you don't have the right quarterback coach combination, you're screwed. I do think that they've got both guys that can lead them to a promise. Land I really feel that much goodwill toward Drake may I called two of their games this past season. I'm honest when I say I think that was the worst offensive line and wide receiver rooms I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 2: And you knew it going into the year. At least with the offensive line, the receiver room that had some young guys, And I you know, I like Pop Douglas as like a flexible player. It was bad, but yeah, it was. It was a mess. He was able to survive that build build around Drake May as as the as the goal of this offseason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I you know, I do I think that they can close the gap significantly on Buffalo in that division. I mean, I do think that they can go. They might be able to get seven or eight wins next year depending if they if they hit this right now, the question is do you believe in Elliott Wolf being able to do this. I don't.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing, Rose is if they do do like my wishless plan for them, I'm picking them to make a wild card run. I really, I really am. Because there is that defense I think can be coached up better than what it was last year. It has talent. You have Drake May and then you add that offensive talent around and Vrabel's a good coach, McDaniel's commune, a great coordinator with the right quarterback. I am picking them to be a wildcard team. If they accomplished my wish list. At the offensive line, they just add two pieces and you know wide receiver, they kind of get better but not great. Then I'm not picking them. But do my wish list. Patriots, you got the money to do it.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're gonna move back to me. And I've got the Jacksonville Jaguars who have the fifth pick in the draft. They just like the Patriots. They went four and thirteen. I've got a new coach, right, so do all due? Did I do that right?
Speaker 2: That was good?
Speaker 1: That's horrible. I'm not gonna sit here and say, well, I'm wishing for good health for the quarterback. I got that all right. This team actually has some talent. It was embarrassing that they got only four wins a season ago. It was, to me, actually borderline disgraceful. The one thing they've got to just fix entirely is the secondary. They got to figure this out. They were far away the worst passing defense in the NFL. They only got six interceptions. So the wish for them, in my opinion, is that somehow Travis Hunter falls to them at five. I don't see a way that that can happen right now, but that's what they need because they could sprinkle him in on offense, they put them in on defense. Whatever it is. However, you want to figure that out. If that doesn't happen, because I don't think it will. Some team has to love Shador Sanders enough to jump over the Raiders who are at six in the draft. They have to hope and pray that that happens. That they can then move back and maybe draft like Will Johnson out of Michigan because their secondary has got to get better. But I like most of the talent on this team. I look at the other teams in the top five and they are beref the talent. In most cases. That is not the case with Jacksonville. But god damn fix the secondary. Holy smokes, was at horrible, horrible, horrific. So there you go, that's what they need. I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, two years ago they really like I think they just banked on Oh wow, look at our defense. Look at how good that Look at how good that it is. You know, they had a really good record through through the month of November and the December they fell apart two years ago, so I think they kind of just banked on head again to next year. They lost key secondary pieces and then just banked on all, Well, the defense is going to be good again, and it absolutely was not. Oh and just also hoping that Trevor Lawrence would stay healthy, which he did not, but the season fell apart for them even before that anyway.
Speaker 1: And by the way, is treymon Walker going to be the most non descript, semi productive number one overall pick ever because he's had back to back double digit SAX seasons and you haven't even noticed it, right.
Speaker 2: That's because he's in douve all. He's a solid player. He's a solid player. It is very weird where it's like, yeah, he's not all these traits, he's not gonna get production, and he's got decent production, but it's still like not, well, you know, even the best, the people who liked them at the number one O, we're all picking vision for him. So so yeah, but that JA. I think that Jags, like you said, they get that secondary right, They've got pieces on that front stete where they could have a little fun defensively, and then you obviously have Lawrence and Thomas and all that jazz.
Speaker 1: So uh, you got the Raiders panic I do.
Speaker 3: This is going to probably be my most vague, my vague wishless item for the Raiders because.
Speaker 2: I just feel like they need everything.
Speaker 3: They need everything now the Raiders, they've been one of the phases of instability over the last two decades. Trivia the last time they had a head coach last for four straight seasons without being fired. Do you guys know.
Speaker 1: Byern or traded? Because what ear was Gruden traded Rose?
Speaker 3: That is a very very good follow up question because it is John Gruden during his first tenure with the Raiders. And yes, so I least head coach to last four straight seasons, whether it is via Trader being what via being.
Speaker 1: Still that's a long time man. That's twenty five years.
Speaker 3: Ninety eight to two thousand and one. I think that was the tenure. Wow, so that's a last time that a coach lasted four straight years for them. My biggest wish to sign him for them, for the for the Oakland National Las Vegas Raiders is to set a foundation for stability. Very vague John spy Tech's coming out from the Bucks. They take pride in drafting, developing, and retaining. I think those the third part's most important. Spy Tech also has a reputation for really involving the coaches and personnel decisions, letting them have their input. Cool to see that Patrick Graham is still sticking around.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 3: You know, Patrick Graham was about to stick around with the Giants after Joe Judge was fired, stuck around with the Raiders, so I love to see that. I think Graham's just a glue guy. Hopefully he gets a head coaching job one day, and then obviously if Chip Kelly is off, its coordinator. So spy Tech really big on kind of letting the coaches really have a say on personnel and drafting decisions, and obviously the biggest question for the Raiders is QB and spy Tech had this to say about Pete Carroll and the Seahawks finding Russell Wilson. I always admired the way that they started in Seattle at the quarterback position, in particular, they just kept taking shots and shots and shots. By Tick said, they traded and drafted guys high. They found their way to Russell Wilson. What an unbelievable move that was. He was a little bit different. He was under six feet at the time when most quarterbacks were over six feet, so they were willing to think outside the box a little bit. Spy Tech is also coming from the organization that signed Tom Brady. Obviously that was a no brainer decision, but you know, not the conventional drafter quarterback develop and retain him. So I think the Raiders, even if they make some outside the box moves, whether it is being aggressive and going after a quarterback like a Sam Darnold, whether that is if the Giants wind up passing on like a shirdor Sanders drafting Sarder Sanders, but you're a draft pick. So and even if they don't even find an answer at quarterback, making certain moves on the roster to just find some sort of stability. Whether you want to be aggressive or not be aggressive, I don't know. But the Raiders they've been the face of instability over the last twenty years. Whatever decisions they need to make, they need to make them together and on the page between front office and coaching staff, it was.
Speaker 2: Very vague get better.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But I but fellas like I can't sit here and say like I want the Raiders to be aggressive and get this person. I want the Raiders to be conservative because the Washington Commanders kind of taught me something this this past offseason where they were semi aggressive, like in free agency when I said, oh, I don't think you should, Like, what why are you going out and signing all these veterans? And then you see like all these guys are glue guys to go on a little bit of a playoff run. So the Raiders kind of need so much. I just feel like whatever they decide to do as an organization this year, it needs to make sure that they do it together. Yeah, and now like this, this guy's voice is stronger than.
Speaker 2: The other one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what Washington's game plan was doesn't mean shit if Sam Howe is still the quarterback. Let's be honest here, And I think last year when we did the quarterback rankings, we talked about how the Raiders had the worst quarterback game play and moving forward because they didn't have a game plan. Right, it was Gardner, Minshew and O'Connell. Right, that's not like that's not a game plan that's not thinking about the future. It wasn't even thinking about twenty twenty four. So it starts with this and Spytech who, by the way, it just sounds like a startup every time we mention his name, So I don't know if we're going to know by his first name or what it is.
Speaker 3: Silicon Valley.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, so I don't know they're they're a mess, but good job by you, even if it is vague. I liked it all right, Bobby Jets, fix the Jets wish list.
Speaker 2: It's so simple that it's tough. Mature of the team and build a culture. Right, you're bringing in Aaron Glenn, former Jet from the Dan Campbell Tree, get go, get buy in from your stars and Saft Gardner, Garret Wilson and Quinn and Williams. Right Like, that's because you look at this team and outside of quarterback and offensive line, what are the positions that were like, oh man, they're just so weak here. And even offensive line, you have Olu and Tipman who are young pieces. Av played fifteen games this year, but I don't know if you can bet on that every year going forward. And then the obviously one is find another QB to go with Tyrod Taylor, because I'm fine with Tyrod Taylor as a bridge starter for a year, but he's too injury prone. You can't rely on him. And but you have to find this quarterback without drafting one on Day two or Day three, because you don't want to draft a bad quarterback, which is basically what every day two and day three quarterback is for your fan base and your dumbass owner. Whatdy Johnson to be asking for you to start? Okay, you already was sho you to pick on Jordan Travis. Don't do it on another player.
Speaker 1: I think he will change the culture. Once again, I don't know what's going to happen a quarterback tyrod and you nailed it. You can't rely on him.
Speaker 2: It's just well, think about this team. This was the team that was seven and ten two years in a row, and then it fell out last year. They're getting rid of Aaron Rodgers. You get buy in and get that defense, which is very talent, and you get another quarterback to go next to Tyrold, maybe even Tyrol's just a backup, and you get someone else as a starter who's just like an NFL player, who you can rely on to start games. That's another team that can you know, reel off some wins. Not gonna be much of a threat without that quarterback answer, but can at least, like I said, reel off some wins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just today. Look we look at the division you just mentioned earlier that if the Patriots go with your wish list. You think that there'll be a wildcard team. I think that if it's Tyrod and nobody else at quarterback, this isn't a wild card team.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think it is either.
Speaker 1: So they'll just continue the longest playoff drout we got going in the NFL. Yes, oh man, that's tough.
Speaker 2: By the way, Lions kept that drought going, you know when they first got Campbell and friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I get it, I get it. But at least the Lions had been to the playoffs with Stafford right in recent years when they got him.
Speaker 2: So it's been a while, been over like five years.
Speaker 1: But yeah, all right, I'm gonna do the Miami Dolphins, and I will say this, change the attitude that everybody thinks you're soft, like you have to be in a controlled environment in order to win football games. They run the ball great, but we don't think they're physical. Their defense has some players, we just don't think they're that tough. So start with that mentality. And I don't know if that's a coach thing an organizational thing, but when you think Miami Dolphins, like when you think Steelers or you think Ravens, you think tough like they you're like, goddamn, we're going into Baltimore, We're going into Pittsburgh. We gotta go play. It ain't gonna be easy. When you're like, you're going to Miami. Sweet might lose, but man, okay, it almost feels like you're playing flag football. So I would say this the two is stuff I get. I want them to try the backup quarterback position like it's a legit roster spot and not an afterthought for them. I also don't want Chris Greer drafting offensive lineman in the first two rounds. They need to, but he can't be the guy picking it. He just can't be Austin Jackson when he's out there is okay. He traded up for Liam Eikenberg, right, exactly like the best guy he's drafted was Robert Hunt and they let him walk. So don't let him do that. If anything, I go find an edge opposite Chop Robinson because Jalen Phillips is coming off his second straight major injury. Right, he had the achilles. Now he's got an acl I don't know if he'll you can ever rely on him. I would go get an edge at thirteen. You could probably get a really really good. One. Chop was great. The second half of the season, I'd start to establish an attitude like we want to be bad mfors instead of just yeah, we're cute Miami.
Speaker 3: Is Tyreek Hill going to be on the team next next year?
Speaker 2: I think so?
Speaker 1: You don't.
Speaker 2: I mean, it doesn't it seem like there's a like, wouldn't they be smart? Like this is going to become a toctic thing here this year?
Speaker 1: Yes, but what so what are you gonna do? You're gonna trade him for like a third second tops?
Speaker 2: I never see your trade market has gone low. But I feel like Tyreek Is would be the best receiver traded since.
Speaker 3: Tyreek Kill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, than Devonte Adams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Amari Cooper. Those by the way, these those trades did not work out this year for wide receivers.
Speaker 2: No, none of them did.
Speaker 1: None of them did.
Speaker 2: Now, Cooper was the random falloff where he's never missed games or anything, and then this year it just was not good.
Speaker 1: No, But I mean the guys that were traded before that, when you include like Adams from Green Bay to the Raiders, put up nice stats, no wins. Aj Brown obviously worked out great for Philadelphia Digs.
Speaker 2: He was a good one before you know, his first trader around. But it's just I'm talking about but when he got traded to the Bills.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know these days. I just I think that's a dicey one. Man.
Speaker 3: I think Perry Hills contract was a nightmare.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, on top of that.
Speaker 3: Twenty seven million this year and then he's got twenty twenty six, he's got fifty one. I mean they would have to you know, a team would have to work with it either extended. I don't even know, man. But then he's got void years, so that that's not a this is a we've pushed money back contract.
Speaker 1: So all right, up next, Pennic. If your wish list for uh, the Indianapolis Colts is anything other than Anthony Richardson, better be learning how to throw strikes in his backyard with a bullseye target. Then you're off base.
Speaker 3: Well it's related to Anthony Richison, but it's add another game changing weapon for Anthony Richardson.
Speaker 1: That he can overthrow by six miles.
Speaker 2: Oh, they just need more weapons there.
Speaker 3: Mock draft database has penn States tight end Tyler Warren as the overwhelming majority first round pick for the Colts.
Speaker 1: You know why that is, By the way, it's because he were forty four, just like Dallas Clark, Isn't that exactly it? And played at a Big ten school, Right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I do like the you know, the consensus, uh you know, big boards and the because really it's a way for you know, thousands of thousands of media out outlets and also the thousands of thousands of mock drafts that you see. It's just kind of like a consensus of it. And and I like just seeing where where people's heads are at. So that's you know, who they have right now in the draft, that's the consensus popular pick right now. And then you also have t Higginson for agecent Like I think the Colts maybe should be a team that is aggressive, like and I'm partially saying this because the Colts were the teams that I desperately wanted to draft Brian Thomas last year. Like, I think, oh, this guy fits, this guy should fit what you know Chris Baller looks for in terms of big and athletic and strong, Like I thought Brian Thomas Junior was a guy was a prospect that was built in a lab for the Chris Baller types. And he passes on him and he goes a lot too. So I'm kind of like, hey, right, that wrong this past so offseason, now this is something that disappointed me. Like I thought Richardson was better than this. From Week eleven onward, out of thirty one quarterbacks that qualified, Richardson was twenty seventh out of thirty one quarterbacks and overall efficiency of like EPACPO week composite, I thought it was better than that. And there were only two games that he played from Week eleven onward that he completed like more than sixty percent of his passes. And again I thought he kind of got better in that department and it was not. So I think the Colts, like I think they need to like answer themselves, is Anthony Richison a guy that we really believe in? Number one? And if that answer is, I'm not so sure. This is a wait and see year. Do you really want to take a chance on like drafting a tight end in the first round or even going all out for t Higgins in in free agency? If you have a quarterback here that we don't even believe in. But if we have a quarterback here that we don't even believe even, why were these guys all retained. And that's the thing of the Indianapols culture.
Speaker 1: Right now, that's a great question. I mean, Chris Ballard, how many quarterbacks has he run through since he's been there?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: He goes through quarterbacks like most of us go through T shirts.
Speaker 2: Now, yeah, I have a lot of Christians in Ballard. I do with the quarterback thing is like what quarterback has he passed on that he should have went after. Besides like the revisionist history of like signing Baker Mayfield or something like that.
Speaker 1: Right, he hasn't been in the position to go. I mean unless he wanted to trade up and go get somebody.
Speaker 2: And they did but it didn't workout.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it. But Anthony Richardson, oh my god, I can't believe this. He completed less than forty eight percent of his passes. It's never been easier to complete a pass in the NFL ever.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: I watched the Jets game and I'm like, oh, hell yeah. And then I looked at the rest of the games and I'm like, oh, Okay, it wasn't awesome. It was better, believe it or not. It was better than what he was doing in the early part of the season, but it still was like, oh man.
Speaker 1: All right, Bobby, you're up next, Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 2: Keep your talent in the building. M you let guys like Jesse Bates and GJ. Reader walk re signed T Higgins, extend Chrey Hendrickson, and outside of those two things, build a defense with an image in mind. Okay, you know we talk about the Commanders. If they didn't Drafty and Daniels, none of their planer shit works out. But something we did say positively about the Commanders last offseason before we when we didn't think they're gonna be good at all, we thought there would be a bottom five team, is that this defense has been built in the image of dan Quinn. It's like a dan Quinn light defense where you get, you know, the Cowboys backup Edges. You had the two good defensive tackles there. You know, you get Bobby Wagner and Frankie Luvu linebacker, bring in Jeremy Chin at safety, and their cornerback group was bad off Obviously weren't able to upgrade on that. But build a defense with an image of mind. You're not going to turn this defense into a top ten unit this offseason, but put together an image for it so that this offense can make you a super Bowl contender, because a middle of the pack defense would have made this team a super Bowl contender.
Speaker 1: My question is is how many Notre Dame defenders do the Bengals draft now that Al Golden is defensive court Golden.
Speaker 2: We are Golden. I remember it Miami, so so we'll we'll see. But yeah, build build an image, build a defense with an image in mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good. Do you want to do your Chargers here? And that'll get you why your favorite team? You were by the way, you nailed it. You nailed it. You said, the schedule is so simple, and you love Harbaugh and you got them to the playoffs. So good job by you.
Speaker 2: By one game off of my record prediction, people not you. You guys are actually more online with me than the consensus. It's like the one prediction I got right last year. Uh. You have three positions called wide receiver, tight end, and running back. To use premium resources on two of those three spots, you know I need to fix all three. Use premium what you could draft If you want to draft a running back in the first round, do it. If you want to draft a tight end in the first round. Do it and then obviously make a free agency piece. Make the run game great. That's that's one thing I was off. The run game there was not great with Greg Roman. It was the worst Greg Roman rushing offense. Uh, you know in his time as a play caller. And then my other wish list is trust Jesse Minner to find smart pieces for him and create a next in line for when he leaves to get a head coaching job next year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, their defense, I think is going to be okay that you know, they drafted a pair of fifth round corners that that played very well for them this year.
Speaker 2: Boy cam Hart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Tarib still was great for them as well. He was the other fifth rounder. You know, outside of lad McConkie. They just don't have any consistency anywhere. Quentin Johnston, we thought maybe earlier in the year would get better and then he went back to Nelson Aguilar's status. They didn't have anything at the tight end. Will Disley had that career year for him, but he's not a weapon. They also have to get a little bit better in the interior of that offensive line. They've got the two great bookend tackles, but they're gonna be in good shape. Man. I like where the Chargers are. It was a stinker they had at the end of the season, but they're gonna be in good shape. Denver Broncos. So they're interesting, right. They had eighty five million in dead cap this year. They're going to drop that by fifty plus million dollars. So they're gonna be like, oh my god, it's like their uncle, their rich uncle just died and left them with all this dough. So what are they gonna do. I know that Sean Payton, but the wish list here is to curb the temptation to fill your roster with needs at tight end and running back right out the because those are both deep parts of this draft. Okay, So I would push that further down the line. It might be sexy, and I know that Sean Payton loves to have his toys around, right, but I would say keep kicking ass with that defense. Watch what just happened Super Bowl Sunday with the Philadelphia Eagles, and they consistently add pass rushers in the draft. Denver led the NFL in sacks this year. Keep doing it. The one other thing on the wish list. Extend Nick Benito. You have to. He's heading into the fourth and final year of his rookie deal. Sirtanz. He's your defensive player of the year. He just got extended before this season. He's taken care of. Go take care of Nick Benito. He made huge, huge plays week after week the second half of the season. Pay him. He deserves some dough. Add another elite defender in the first round. Let's go Broncos.
Speaker 2: That thinks I got two things for you. The Patricks are tain Defensive Player of the Year. Reminded me that the NFL putting that on the Thursday before the super Bowl drives me nuts. That is something they Yeah, we don't get that. You just don't talk about it because then the super Bowl happened. So one change that if you want to do it end of the year, do it Pro Bowl week.
Speaker 1: Well number one, okay, they can't do it. Do you know why they do it the way they did because everybody everybody's at the super Bowl, so they want to.
Speaker 2: But don't put less value on that. People will be at the Pro Bowl too. Just they didn't used to do that. You don't even neither have.
Speaker 1: An award show you know, I'm gonna sit you down one day and explain to you the business of the NFL.
Speaker 2: But that's okay. It's that they're really running dry over there at the NFL. My number two is, uh, this was the most unconventional answer for the Broncos, but it's my favorite because you think, oh, the defense was awesome best, you know, number one ranked defense in the NFL, or number two, like, oh, just you know that's good. Now, let's read No, make keep making that defense stronger and stronger and stronger and stronger. Trust if you if you trust bow Nick, you can add pieces obviously, you know, add a wide receiver in the second round or whatever, but continue to make that defense stronger and stronger and stronger. I love that answer.
Speaker 1: Yes, I got one right on the test. It took me the entire year, the playoffs had passed Super Bowl, but I finally nailed one answer that Bobby Skinner like, thank you, Well, that was.
Speaker 2: Just an unconven like most people would be like, oh, get bo Nick's a wide receiver one, when it's like, no, keep making that defense great.
Speaker 1: All right, Pennick, You're up next, Steelers.
Speaker 3: This is something that I've said on the show before I'm gonna say it again. It's not gonna be the last time that I say it.
Speaker 2: Fire Mike Tomlin, Like that guy in New Orleans says.
Speaker 3: Shit, yeah, that was crazy. That guy like I went up with. I said nice, whatever, nice, he had a jersey or a shirt on whatever. Immediately fire Mike Tomlin. I'm like, whoa kids, Take it easy, man. Steelers signed Sam Donald. Now the question that you got to ask yourself. You gotta look at yourself in the mirror. If you're the Pittsburgh Steeler, or really if you're any team that wants to go out and sign Sam Donald, you have to look at yourself in the mirror and say, you do know that if we signed Sam Donald, you are not going to get the same performance and the same exact same quarterback that you got last year when he was with the Vikings. Because it's not Kevin O'Connell who's calling plays and is the head coach. Probably don't have those tackles. And then number three, you don't have you don't have a Sam Donald thrown to Justin Jefferson in Pittsburgh. Those are the three things that you gotta like, honestly, like assess, like when we're about to give this guy forty million dollars, that's where you gotta look at yourself in the mirror and inside. But I think the Steelers and Arthur Smith, I think Sam Donald fits what they're trying to do over their play action. Let's throw it deep. If George Pickens is still around, which I kind of hope that he is, hope that he gets his mind right. You know, it fits what they're trying to accomplish over there in Pittsburgh, Sam Donald does.
Speaker 2: I that's I would sign Aaron Rodgers. I would take Aaron Rodgers and what he's going to command ten times out of ten for the I feel like that's.
Speaker 3: The opposite of what we're talking about that I think Aaron Rodgers, Like I was listening to this you know Jets podcast. However, Rodgers didn't really run a very vertical offense this year and didn't really utilize Garrett Wilson, and you know, they're trying to run like fourteen plays for eighty two yards and you know, get seven points on the board. So I mean, you know, obviously the Steelers, they do like to run the ball, and they do like to play like the time of possession game. But they also like, you know, so Russell Wilson with the moonballs and how much that was an effective part does right?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: But Sam Donald ken Ken do that has a good arm.
Speaker 2: I'm just not betting on Sam Darnal with a big contract.
Speaker 1: I think, sorry, go ahead, my bad.
Speaker 2: I just I'm not betting on Sam darn with a big contract, and especially not with the Steelers with their personnel.
Speaker 1: I think Sam Darland has too nice a hair to be in Pittsburgh. I think that's my overall assessment. Like, who is the last quarterback there that had a nice, full head of hair that like Ben always chopped it off us. Oh yeah, god, yeah, I guess so, huh, but you saw how that worked out. Yeah, I just don't see it right. They're the best quarterback in franchise history, have the flow. Yeah yeah, but that was right when he got there, when he was no good and getting booed off.
Speaker 2: Had pretty good hair.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think he was an insurance salesman in between his NFL quarterback gigs.
Speaker 2: I'm yeah, Big Ben had one of the best rookie seasons of all time, and it would have never happened if Tommy with Maddicks. Didn he get injured in week one?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he took over in week two, like really good in terms of winning percentage. Didn't he go fourteen and one as a starter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when he plays and that was place we statistically that was one of the best of rookie It wouldn't compared to rookies nowadays.
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, but you're right, you're right, all right, Bobby. We got the bills.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the bills. So you're fourteen million dollars over the cap. Get cap your cap in line without touching your young pieces on the O line, D line, simple as that, right, you know, don't make any sacrifices of any of those young guys.
Speaker 1: And I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't see that happening. You know, they're big pending free agentcy with Seul Douglas and Amari Cooper. So but I will say, like Alan doesn't need a top ten wide receiver, but give give, give him someone that he can go to on third down other than Koliot here and and stop quarterback shneeking in the playoffs, that's another one.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I mean those are all fair.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean they were one play away from the Super Bowl. You know, they're, you know, a handful of decisions away from the Super Bowl, and I don't have this crazy they should do this when they're fourteen million dollars over the cap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean they're not going anywhere with with that monster under center. They're fine. I mean, they're in good shape there. Just get luckier. Supposed is that it. I Mean, it's weird to say, but that's kind of the way I feel. My last team is the Houston Texans, and it's pretty simple. I've tried to stay away from the quarterback talk, but this one you have to because of the major step back it felt like CJ. Stroud had this season, and that is to get his mentals right and get him point in the right direction. He got sacked fifty two times. Fifty two times, and a lot of that pressure got right in his face, and I don't know if he got gun shy. He you know, the thing that we marveled about was the fact his rookie year he didn't turn the ball over and he was accurate and he was a complete opposite this season. So they've got to fix at least one of their guard positions. They can move off of Shack Mason, I think pretty easily. Patterson is a backup center. Go fix that stuff. Take the best interior alignment with your first pick. I heard the center position is actually fairly deep this year. You want to go take that somewhere down the line, Go get a good center. Figure out. But you need him to get back to where he was as a rookie, and I think part of it starts with the interior of that offensive line is just making him feel comfortable in the pocket. Yet again, I know some people say, because Diggs is going to move on and Tank Dell is coming off another massive injury, that you'd want to go wide receiver. Well fine, I'll find somebody in the second or third round.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 3: My biggest mistle signing for the Texans is at this point next year or no, not even this point next year. Convince me at some point next year to stop calling you the Houston the Houston third and long Texans, because every you just look up every third down, third and eight third and nine third and twelve third and this third and that. Every time you look up at the TV screen, they're in third down, and it's a third down situation that quarterbacks don't like. So get that nickname out.
Speaker 1: All right, panic, your last one's the Ravens.
Speaker 3: Oh, the Ravens.
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 3: Is it this simple? Is it this simple?
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go simple, change the running back.
Speaker 3: Here are the Ravens wide receivers on their roster right now, Zay Flowers for Sean Baton, Devontes Walker.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 3: Those are the three. Agalar is an impending free agent. Everybody else is an impending free agent on that team. I finally want Lamar Jackson to get somewhat of a legitimate outside wide receivers. Hey Flowers took a step up this year. Increase the archs per reception, say Flowers, Yeah, he has outside inside versatility. I want more of a bigger, bodied, more conventional wide receiver one for Lamar Jackson. Now, he's always been a guy that doesn't need it. He operates like he doesn't need it. But let's just see what happens when Lamar Jackson is throwing the ball to more of a bona fide number one stud go out and trade for Tyreek Hill. Now they would never do that.
Speaker 1: Never, Yeah, I don't see that happening.
Speaker 3: That's my wish list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, once again, they just they just have to play a little bit better a little I mean Mark Andrews catch the ball, right, Yeah, all these teams that are so good, it's like, what's their wish list.
Speaker 2: Next to Roquan How about that? That's my wish list for the Ravens.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, great, I mean, like any little thing with teams that are this good and they have good coaching and great organizational stability, it's just ridiculous. Which takes us to the team that got embarrassed in Super Bowl fifty nine. Bobby Skinner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just got to increase the payouts of the refs. No on, fix your offensive tackle spot, create an actual good run running game that isn't just efficient whereas high in a success rate, but you're low in yardage and become more explosive, and I think both of those things help you become more explosive. Get back to it. Let's have some more fun, right. You know what was fun watching e Xavier Worthy split two dbs. I know they were backups, but you got the speed. Fix the offensive tackle spot, create again, create an actual good run game, and guess what, the explosives will start to happen again. Become the fun. Kansas City chiefs offense. The old the old me, the you know, the the old me that I don't recognize anymore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I think there's no question that they're Their term could be maga make offense great again?
Speaker 3: Oh boy, that's the show.
Speaker 2: Have another similar term I saw on on Twitter too.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, we're just having fun, all right. We are back at it again early next week. You know, we're just a few weeks away from the combine, and then a few weeks after that it's the start of the league year and free agency, and then after that it's about five weeks till the draft. So it just a lot of stuff happening. The off season is a ton of fun, Bobby, When when do you shut it down? And for the nuptials?
Speaker 2: Uh, next week? You won't see him in the show for about a week and a half.
Speaker 1: Actually, wait a second, what what? What? What? When is this?
Speaker 2: I'm out next week and then the wedding is on Sunday, and then I'll be out the midweek and they'll be back the end of that next week.
Speaker 1: Holy smoke. So you're getting married a week from Sunday?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, that is that is that is in fact true. Is just be up here or down here, excuse me, and it's gonna be a grand old time.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Well I'm not home right now, so I won't run out to the mailbox to check for the invitation. Could you send an e invite? Um?
Speaker 3: You know you did old No, you did old No, you did old school. I got mine in the mail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you want to do old school when it comes to the wedding guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which was weird, Like people that live down the street from me somehow didn't get it in the mail, and then the people in New Jersey did get it. I don't know what the hell is going on with the United States Postal.
Speaker 1: Service literally down the street from you, yes, yes, like walking distance.
Speaker 3: Well you're not what save the state.
Speaker 2: It is people that live down the street. I hand delivered it to those people. But I'm talking about people that like live you know, ten minutes away.
Speaker 3: From around town.
Speaker 1: Still should have driven them. That's what you should have done. You should have driven the invitation over people like to get them in the mail. Those invitations can get heavy. Then put old stamps that like are a penny on there so that way makes them feel good. Mm hmm. There you go would have saved you some money. Wedding planner Chris Rows, all right, well in that case, congratulations to you and your bride a little bit early. It's awesome. Then you can't wait. We can't wait to have you back here, and we're gonna find out not everything, but we're gonna find out a lot of stuff about how it all went down. How many people are coming to this thing.
Speaker 2: One hundred people, and then we'll be live streaming it on the Talking Giants channel. I'll be brought to you by Captain Morgan.
Speaker 1: Hey, it's great to have at the bar man. I want to I want to I want to check out that stream and that.
Speaker 2: Is this the presenting sponsor.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: You know, you start paying for wedding and you start thinking of like selling out, you know, but I didn't.
Speaker 1: Oh god, that's pretty good. This walk down the Aisle is presented to you by Captain Morgan, the official Spice Drum of the NFL.
Speaker 2: Yeah, every speech has a promo code, you know, you know Giants twenty Giants ten promo code you know, brought to you the best Man's speech.
Speaker 1: So well you could upgrade where you sit, you know, on the on the grill or the bride side, depending on your sea key cap.
Speaker 2: So let me let me let me run this by you first. So I'm thinking, because you know, I'm going to do like a not a speech, but like a thank you at the end. Yeah, and I'll think now, not everyone most actually basically no one there listens to me, right, it's it's justin and then a handful of other people who actually like listen to what I do. I'm thinking of doing the joke and then welcome to talking giants presented by and like, oh sorry, it's just my natural instinct when nobody's going to get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't think people get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not gonna do it.
Speaker 3: Nobody's gonna get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's not that funny either, So it's just not worth it.
Speaker 1: And just remember that part of the speech. Your speech should be a couple of lines. We want to thank you very much. We love having everybody here and very special to all of us. You know the whole bit, don't but I will give you this. You want one word of advice about about the wedding day? Yeah, seriously, Okay, don't blink your your fiance's name again.
Speaker 2: Isabelle.
Speaker 1: Isabelle, you two while the party's going on.
Speaker 2: She just said, what when I said that, By the way, just.
Speaker 1: Walk away for like four minutes. Go just look over everything, just take take take a mental snap shot, Take a mental snapshot of what is happening. You'll want to have one, one photograph in your brain to have of the whole festivities and everything. You'll have plenty of actual photographs, but just have one in your mind that one's just for the two of you.
Speaker 2: And then one day we'll take that photograph and we'll put it in the Airbnb and somebody will steal it.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: That's an episode.
Speaker 1: For producer Connor, for Justin Pennock, for the soon to be married Bobby Skinner. I am Chris Rose. We will see you next week, at least most of you will, and most of us will here on Football Today, presenting you by Captain Morgan, the official Spice Drum of the NFL.