Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio Hour two.
Speaker 2: On this Tuesday, Dan and the Dan Eds Dan Patrick Show. Hope your day is off to a great start. Saturday it is the Kentucky Derby, the first Saturday in May, the ultimate all day live celebration. And oh, I do you know we had the Thoroughbreds who just came in The Kentucky Derby Live on NBC and streaming on Peacock, which is where you can find this program Monday through Friday all three hours. Download the app if you haven't done so. And good morning if you're dialing in with listening on your favorite radio stations around the country. Eight seven to seven three DP show. Pull question from our one seaton and then what are we pondering for hour two?
Speaker 3: We've been taking many suggestions on if the heat didn't quit last night, what exactly did they do right now? My favorite is coming from a fella here who said they strategically lacked effort.
Speaker 4: Okay, that would be tanking. Yeah, Utah, Jazz did that this year strategically Definitely, yes they did.
Speaker 2: But the Cabs blew out the heat by fifty five points, so that's the fourth largest margin of victory in a playoff game in NBA history. They also outscored the Heat by one and twenty two points, the largest point differential in a playoff.
Speaker 4: Series in NBA history. Stat of the Day, stat of the Day, That stat of the day, stat of the day. Here comes that what stat of the day. Stat of the Day.
Speaker 2: Brought to you by Panini America Official Trading Cards to the Dan Patrick Show. Now, I didn't expect this kind of blowout, but I did expect Cleveland to not have any issues with the Miami Heat. You know, keep in mind, Miami was a playing team. They had thirty seven wins. Cleveland had sixty four wins. Cleveland's a really good team. Everybody's waiting to see how they're going to do in the playoffs. This next match up here against Indiana. Now, people are going to have some trepidation there before they I mean, they're doing that with OKC right now, We've seen it with the Celtics. Now we're waiting to see Cavaliers on that level. Oka see on that level. I think that's what everybody's sort of waiting for here in the postseason. Bucks and the Pacers coming up tonight, Pistons, Nicks, Magic, Celtics, Clippers, and the Nuggets. Here was something that kind of got lost a little bit, I think with the post draft coverage. And I don't know if you're aware of this, but you should be. Baseball Commissioner Rob Manfred said he discussed Pete Rose with President Trump at a meeting two weeks ago. The commissioner plans to rule on a request to end the sports permanent band of Pete Rose, who died in September. Speaking yesterday to the Associated Press, the Commissioner said he and the President discussed several issues, including concerns over how immigration policies could impact players from Cuba, Venezuela and other foreign countries. The Commissioner is considering a petition to have Rose posthumously removed from Baseball's permanently ineligible list. The petition was filed in January, and we have talked about this many many times, and I wondered, what did he get in? And I was saying all along that if he got in, it would be posthumously. That the Commissioner was not going to let Pete Rose go up there and give a speech if anybody was going to do it, it'd be somebody in Pete's family after Pete had died. But this just gets him back on the ballot if they want to do that, Finn. Because people look at it as a lifetime ban. This is a permanent ban. So his lifetime it's over, but he's still banned. That's why the permanent part of this is the key part of this. If this was a lifetime ban, well, his life is ended.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: If you want to vote on this, you want to put him on the ballot. But the president's involved in this, and don't underestimate that, because the number of people who would love to have Pete in the Hall of Fame as opposed to those who would oppose this, I would say, would be a pretty wide margin those in favor of Pete rose. And I know we're you know, we're shouldered deep in gambling here and now moving forward, do we take away the permanent label?
Speaker 4: That word?
Speaker 2: Because if I'm the nineteen nineteen White Sox or shoelish Joe Jackson, all of a sudden, I go, well, ho hold on here. If you're a relative of shoeless Joe Jackson, do you say, well, wait a minute here. You know we had a permanent ban, you know, should it be a lifetime ban? Our life is over. Can somebody kind of pick up the baton here and get them into the Baseball Hall of Fame that's going on right now? And could I see a scenario where the commissioner puts Pete or allows Pete to be eligible eligible for the ballot?
Speaker 4: Now, does he have a better chance?
Speaker 2: Like the Veterans Committee, are they going to look favorably to Pete all the years that he hijacked Cooper's town. I'd like to know, you know, I'd like to get a consensus of how that's going to go with the Veterans committing, because there are a lot of players who were not in Pete's corner because Pete never showed any control.
Speaker 4: He never really apologized. But that's that's what made Pete great.
Speaker 2: You know, Lance Armstrong, he never apologized, Bonds never apologized, Clemens never, But like that's what made them great. They needed to have that. You know, I didn't do anything wrong, you did, h and Pete. Look when he came on my radio show years ago and said that he bet on the Reds to win every game, and then people go, hey, well that's what you want, Well, you can still manipulate the lineup. I mean, no, you can't bet on your team. But people, I think thought that, well, at least he's not betting against his team that we know of. Do you think Pete would actually say, you know, I bet against my team a few times because you want to win your bets?
Speaker 4: You don't, you don't care?
Speaker 2: And what I think Pete would put himself in a position like that, Yes, I would, because he's not a good gambler. But I think that this is probably headed towards Pete being eligible for the ballot.
Speaker 4: I do. I think that's where we're headed.
Speaker 2: Because when you meet with the president, the president wants this to happen. The president gets to take a victory lab but he's also saying to the commissioner, hey, I can affect some of these other things that you're dealing with. You help me here, Oh, I help you here. And I truly think that's what's going to happen. I think this commissioner will put him on the ballot, and then he can wipe his hands clean of this. He can say, all right, you know, I listened to the president. We put him on the ballot, and I'm going to let the Veterans Committee decide. Now, would he be on the regular ballot or would he be on the Veterans committee? Since he hasn't been on the regular baseball ballot, I would think you would. You should go through that process with Peter before you get to the Veterans Committee.
Speaker 4: Does it say anything about that, PAULI.
Speaker 5: We're checking back in nineteen ninety one, the Hall of Fame's Board of Director said anyone on the permanently ineligible list cannot be considered for the Hall. So that's why he was never on the ballot. We're checking what ballot he would.
Speaker 2: Be on because if you just say we're going to change it to a lifetime ban, okay, you know the semantics of that, because a permanent ban, it doesn't matter. Hey, you died and you're posthumously going to be on the ballot. That can't happen.
Speaker 5: If Rose is reinstated, it doesn't mean he would be automatically on the Hall of Fame ballot. He would first have to be nominated by the Hall's Historical Overview Committee, which is a baseball Writers' association. It's a small group, and then he would end up on the ballot, so he has to be voted to be on the ballot, to be on the.
Speaker 2: Ballot, Yeah, I would just keep an eye out because I think that's what's going to happen. I think this commissioner is probably going to decide to go, all right, let's just be done with this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, pulling and the commission can really be done for it. If he reinstates rose Or and then he doesn't make the ballot, it's not his decision to not vote him and be a separate committee. He would have nothing to do with it.
Speaker 4: We'll get phone calls.
Speaker 2: Albert Breer Monday Morning Quarterback had a lot of things interesting things about shad Or Sanders, just to recap kind of what we talked about first hour. I just wonder if Shudoor Sanders, Deon Sanders had that guy in the room in their inner circle who was the guy who would tell you what you didn't want to hear. And he didn't have an agent, and sometimes that agent's job is to protect you from you. I remember I thought that I was ready for a job, and my agent at the time said, look, I'm gonna be honest with you. I don't know if you're ready.
Speaker 4: For this, and.
Speaker 2: You know your first thought is I should get another agent, like I need to have somebody tell me what I want to hear. But he was telling me the truth. And while it humbles you and you're like, damn, okay, I had somebody who was honest with me.
Speaker 4: I don't know if Shador had that.
Speaker 2: If your dad is your biggest cheerleader and talking to these teams maybe guiding these teams to your son or away from your son, are you getting that honest truth of you didn't interview well. You don't come off as a great team player. You seem like you have other interests. You were distracted. It felt like maybe you wanted the teams to try to tell you why they wanted you instead of why you wanted to play for them, Like you need to hear that. And I think would that have helped him, Well, it can help him moving forward, but it could have helped him to at least understand what was going on in the draft, because, as we pointed out last hour, you don't get many second round quarterbacks because teams will use a quarterback in the first round, but second round, now you've got to do team needs. If I didn't draft you in the first round. I'm probably not going to take you until the fourth round, fifth round. The difference is that's a franchise quarterback. That's a backup quarterback. And I believe since my source said I didn't have a first round grade for him, that meant that maybe teams viewed him as a backup, or maybe teams didn't even think he was going to be there, or for whatever reason. If it's true that owners, you know, told their staff to take him off their draft board for whatever, Like what happened that all of a sudden, you're telling you your scouting team take him off our draft board? Are you following along with everybody else?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 2: Did you hear the story? Did you hear the story? Do you know what he did? Oh, but we'll talk to Albert Breer about that.
Speaker 4: Coming on.
Speaker 2: Jake in San Diego leads us off this hour. Hi, Jake, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Hey?
Speaker 6: First time, long time. My five day old son is seven pounds and three ounces. Just two questions wondering, One if you had any advice for me for what to do with this little thing. And secondly, if Aaron never doesn't sign with the Steelers, if Jordan loves God forbid something happens to him that he would sign with the Packers in the Miltle season.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I don't want to play the if somebody gets hurt hypothetical around the league. Now, I did mention if Matthew Stafford, let's say, would get banged up, would you bring him in? Like there's certain situations where maybe that would happen, But I don't see that happening where Green Bay goes.
Speaker 4: Do we want to go back into this? And I would say no.
Speaker 2: But it does feel like the Steelers, given what's happened or what happen happened in the draft, that they're going, you know, hey, we'll take the kid out of Ohio State. But that's kind of a yeah, you know, who knows. Which I do like the draft pick. I mean, he did win a national championship, played for two different schools. I think he's athletic. I think he grew up a Steeler fan and you know, probably thrilled to come in there and maybe he gets a chance. I think that's a really good pick. And here's the other thing. I already know what Mason Rudolph can do. I already know if I'm the Steelers like, Okay, we got him, and yeah he's our quarterback. Maybe not, he's a backup, but you know you want to bring in Will Howard.
Speaker 4: I think it's a good pick.
Speaker 2: Not viewed as a starter, Maybe he can be a starter. And I think, you know, given what they have, you already know what your backup quarterbacks are all about. You're hoping for Rogers and then maybe he swing for the fences and you get a quarterback who can come in and maybe in two years he's playing.
Speaker 4: Yes, Mark, And.
Speaker 8: I think brock Purty succeeding has given a lot of these late round draft picks hope and now they can say, hey, I can beat brock Purty instead of the other really famous late round quarterback, which is Tom Brady. And you don't want to have that type of expectations. You know what, I could breed brock Purty if I get the opportunity.
Speaker 9: Yes, Todd, from a fan standpoint in Pittsburgh, if Aaron Rodgers does eventually become a Steelers all forgiven and they're all immediately all in and we love Aaron Rodgers, or because this took so long, you think there's going to be bitterness.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if they have any other choice but to bring him in. I mean, you got to back him. I don't know if there's anything else you can do. I mean, Mason Rudolph is not the answer, and they can pretend that he is, but he's not. You could have taken other quarterbacks in the draft. I just think they're getting Aaron Rodgers and praying that he stays healthy. But we thought that that would happen after the draft, because I said, at least what I was told is Aaron's not going to sign before the draft. He wants to make sure. He wants to see what the Steelers do. Whether this is true or not, this is what I was told. Are they going to take a quarterback a little bit higher? Would they use a first round draft pick? Because we thought maybe Jackson Dart was going to go to the Steelers, maybe Shoudre Sanders would go there. I don't know if that would have an impact on Aaron Rodgers, but I think that you have to factor that in. If I'm Rogers, I'm like, I don't have to hurry. Now I can meet with the Steelers. I can talk to the Steelers, and I just want to and he's probably just going to survey the landscape here if somebody happens to get injured in training camp.
Speaker 4: He wants to win another Super Bowl? Are you going to do that in Pittsburgh?
Speaker 2: And I think that's why he wanted Minnesota, because Minnesota is closer to winning a Super Bowl than Pittsburgh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Polley and the Steelers spent most of their draft on the defense, Yes, running back, quarterback, then all defense, and DK Metcalf in the off season. They're poised to plug in somebody.
Speaker 2: All right, we'll take a break. Albert Breer Monday morning, quarterback will join us. Have a new poll question. Your phone calls are always welcome. We'll take a break. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 10: Hey, Steve Covino and I'm Rich David, and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 11: You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 10: Why should you listen to Cavino and Rich.
Speaker 11: We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's.
Speaker 4: Going on in the world.
Speaker 10: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well, other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss.
Speaker 11: And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together. I mean that says something, right, So check us out.
Speaker 10: We like to get you involved too, Take your phone calls, chop it up.
Speaker 11: As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar.
Speaker 10: Be sure to check out Cavino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific, And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covin on Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media.
Speaker 4: That's Covino and Rich. What's the poll question for hour two going to be seedon?
Speaker 3: Well we got up there a more team version I guess of the original poll question. If the Miami Heat didn't quit last night, what did they do?
Speaker 12: Now?
Speaker 3: We have Miami Heat's humiliating loss last night was mainly because dot dot dot the Calves are just better Jimmy Butler.
Speaker 4: Or the heat quit or all the above. All of the above also inappropriate.
Speaker 2: Eight seven seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, twitter handle at DP shows Albert Breer, frequent contributor to the program the Monday Morning Quarterback who joins us on the program. Let's start with the second pick in the draft. Let me do what everybody else has done and not really focus on cam Ward going number one overall built bad Ford. It's like, oh yeah, that's great, Okay, Now let's get to the interesting stuff. Grade the Cleveland Jacksonville trade swapping two to five.
Speaker 12: So I would actually give Cleveland an a to be able to get what they got, and we'll see what becomes of I think the two guys they got form more Mason Graham and quin Shawn Jadkins.
Speaker 7: We'll see what becomes the players they got from.
Speaker 12: But you know, I think that they were really in a position where they had to reset their roster a little, and they're starting to feel the effects now of all those first round picks going out the window for Deshaun Watson, where they're aging in certain spots they're aging a little bit on their offensive line, they've aged on their defensive line, they've aged a bit in their secondary, they aged it running back, and so, like, I like, they had to find a way to reset their roster a little and this effectively does it.
Speaker 7: Now, you know, walking away.
Speaker 12: From you know, one of the two true blue chip players in this draft, I'm sure wasn't easy, you know, but they wind up with Mason Graham and Judkins and they'll have for another first round pick next year, and depending on how good Jacksonville is, that could wind up being a high first round draft pick.
Speaker 7: We'll see.
Speaker 12: So I just think, you know, if you want to talk about the logic behind it, it's pretty easy easy to see what the Browns logic was. I would give the I give the Jaguars a B plus. And here's why I love Travis Hunter as a player. I think on the high end, you're gonna get a truly unique, like just a unicorn, you know, like, and I know that's a little redundant, right, a unique unicorn, but like, you're getting one of these guys that, like, there's never really been one of these before. If he hits on all cylinders, but even If he doesn't, you're gonna have a lot of cracks at getting it right because there's so many different things that you can do with him. So I love that for them. My question is are they in that position yet where they should be taking this sort of swing. In other words, like Liam Cohen James Gladstone came from the Rams where they were known for taking these sorts of swings. But when they took these sort of swings, they were on veteran players and it was a team, and it was with a team that was in position to win right now. And so the question is, do the Jaguars now think they're closer than maybe the general public does to truly competing, to maybe knocking off the Texans in the AFC South, to being a contender. And you know, obviously a lot of that's going to come down to what Liam Cohen gets out of Trevor Lawrence, but maybe they think that. You know, so if you're Jacksonville and you think you're closer than the general public does, then this move makes a ton of sense because you know, Travis Hunter might be a player that can put you over the top, and then you know, maybe that pick next year is in the twenties rather than be in the top ten.
Speaker 7: So so we'll see on that.
Speaker 4: When did you realize that Shador was falling.
Speaker 7: February? I know that sounds crazy. February, I like, I don't know.
Speaker 12: I was like everybody else in December and January thinking, okay, is it going to be Cam or Shador?
Speaker 7: You know, being the first quarterback off the board.
Speaker 12: The more people I talked to when I started to do my research on the draft class, which really I try to do it all year, but it really kind of gets going once the season ends, the more people I talked to said this, he's.
Speaker 7: Just not a first round talent. Now.
Speaker 12: People would have said the same thing about Bonnix the year before. And I think I said this to you guys. I said this a bunch of different places, Like I would say he could go third to thirty third. And the reason I said that because I didn't think he was going in the first round, you know, And you know, really what I meant by that was like, maybe he finds the fit the way that bow Nicks did. And no one's going to argue with where Bonnicks went now because of the rookie year he had, and there was a team that fit him perfectly. He found that team, they found him, and you know now they live happily ever after. But absent finding that team, he wasn't a good enough physical prospect to go.
Speaker 7: In the first round.
Speaker 12: He wasn't what you normally see in a first round quarterback, and a lot of people were just whistling by the graveyard on that.
Speaker 7: But it was what it was all along.
Speaker 12: And now here's the other part of it, Dan is if he's not a first round pick and he's got to go find his fit, does it make any sense for him to be thinning the herd?
Speaker 7: It was, effectively, is what they were.
Speaker 12: Doing, you know over the last couple of months, the way they were handling some of their meetings, and so, you know, I think that that was a mistake. I think another piece of it is, you know, how you view your backup and what you expect from your backup, and how most coaches want their backup to blend in with the furniture.
Speaker 7: And you know, most coaches would say, you know, you, you know, you put two.
Speaker 12: Quarterbacks in front of him, one's the celebrity, one's an anonymous player, and you say it's going to be a second or third quarterback in your rows.
Speaker 7: Most coaches will say, give me the anonymous guy. You know, it's just the way it is.
Speaker 12: So I think there were a number of factors on why he fell that I'd say, first round, second round about talent and performance, and then after that it's about everything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's what I brought up because Mike Source said that he didn't have a first round grade. Yeah, And there aren't a lot of quarterbacks who were taken in the second round because you're either first round worthy or you're backup worthy, and that's where you get into the fourth, fifth, sixth, and seventh round. And I think that's what happened with Shador is he wasn't Jackson Darter cam Ward, but he wasn't going to be Jalen Hurds kind of lingering there in the second round. He was going to be viewed as a guy who was probably going to be a backup quarterback.
Speaker 4: But did the media get duped here? Because if you.
Speaker 2: Consider mel Kiper, you know, is still shouting from the mountaintops. There are a lot of people who had Shador in the first round, and that became a story because now everybody's shocked that he dropped as far as he did, but it almost felt like the media in general was eating what Dion was serving.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and it was good for business too, right, you know, like Chador is a fifth round pick, isn't. I mean he's you know, at that point, he's case Keenum, which is a highly productive, good college quarterback who's not going to be a high draft pick, you know, So, I mean, I would say this is sort of a symbiotic thing, you know where you know, Chador's camp probably felt like it was good for him to be presented as if he was going to be a top five, top ten pick and like that that was a lock.
Speaker 7: Like they felt like that was good for them.
Speaker 12: Now it wound up being bad for them, you know, because I think it affected a lot of other things. But that was also good for business in the media, wouldn't you say, Dan? No?
Speaker 7: I mean, well didn't the draft didn't have a lot of sex appeal, right, Like this, let's call it what it is.
Speaker 12: Like this was a draft that was heavy on lineman, that didn't have very many blue chip guys. Travis Hunters were interesting, but like are is abdul Carter as good as he is? Is he's right driving ratings know, the fourth picks and offensive tackle, the you know, the the fifth picks of defensive tackle, the seventh pick is an offensive tackle, and.
Speaker 7: Ninth picks and offensive tackle. Like something's got to drive the boat here, you know. And I think it was. I had part of it is it's good for business for all of us. I mean, I'm I'm not exempt from it either.
Speaker 12: I heard a lot about your door, and I talked a lot about your door, and I went on TV a lot about your door over the last two months.
Speaker 7: It was good for business that way.
Speaker 2: Talking and Albert Brier the Monday Morning Quarterback, helped me understand the Steelers quarterback room right now.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 12: So I think it's a pretty good tell that they feel good about where they stand with Aaron Rodgers right now. And I think Kirk Cousins would looms as sort of a fallback option if Aaron Rodgers if that doesn't play out the way that it does. But I think we should listen to what Aaron said too, which is I've got some personal things that I'm trying to work out out. And you wish he had said that at the beginning because it probably would have you know, saved a lot of the noise from getting out there over the last.
Speaker 7: Couple of months.
Speaker 12: But he did say it, and I think we can all respect it in all respect, like whatever he's going through in his personal life, and you know, I think in that case, like you know, he's going through that in his personal life, well maybe it would make sense then that he would be waiting on signing with a team, because you know, the minute he signs with the Steelers, if he signs with the Steelers three weeks ago and says, Okay, I'm going to handle his personal matter and then I'm going to show up, well, what does the narrative then become, Well, he's not here for the off season program, OTAs are starting, is not here for that? The veteran mini camps are going to be a circus because of that. I mean it, I could see where, you know, if he, like again taking it at face value, he's handling a personal matter here, I could see where it probably makes the most sense for everybody to take a step back a little bit and say, like, it just doesn't make sense for us to sign you right now, because it's going to turn the volume up on everybody and we don't need that right now.
Speaker 7: You don't need it, We don't need it. Let's just let sleeping dogs lie.
Speaker 12: And then, you know, I think as far as the Kirk Cousins thing goes, I mean, where we are right now with that, Like the Cleveland Browns, which are the most logical suitor, they have a full quarterback room right now. The Vikings just traded for Sam Howe, and I think under certain circumstances, the Vikings would of considered bringing Kirk.
Speaker 7: Back as a backup.
Speaker 12: And so like the Steelers can kind of sit here and say, okay, like, well, you know, if something goes wrong in the Aaron Rodgers situation, we could still revisit Kirk Cousins. So they've got a couple options out there for themselves. And you know, then, I know, you know, like I don't see him going into season with Mason Rudolph as a starter, but at least they've got a guy that've got experience with there.
Speaker 2: What do you do if you're the NFL to the Atlanta Falcons when the phone numbers got out and your defensive coordinator son is videotaping him and his friends these these.
Speaker 12: Yeahs, I mean, I don't know, you know, in some ways, I like, I think we all did We all did stupid stuff when we were that age. So I hate to kill the kid, you know what I mean, Like I probably would have thought it was hilarious when I was twenty years old too, you know what I mean. Like, so like I have sympathy for Shador in this situation. I also you know, like I also see this as like this isn't.
Speaker 7: A capital crime.
Speaker 12: Now there is a security issue, you know, So that's something the NFL has to clean up. How these things get out. There's a million different ways that can happen. That it was a burner phone, I think obviously points to okay, like well, if he only had this phone over the week leading up to the draft, then it had.
Speaker 7: To come from somewhere.
Speaker 12: And you know, I think this is if it did come from an NFL email, then the league office has to look inward too and how they're distributing those things, and are they being a little careless about distributing them? You know, I think we have to be open to the idea that it's an honestness if you leave a tablet open, and which is what they said, I think, right, was it an iPad. If you leave a tablet open and your kid walks by it, I mean, you know, again, is that a capital crime?
Speaker 7: It's sloppy, but like it's not a capital crime, you know.
Speaker 12: So it's a it's a it's a it's a it's a weird story. It's a weird thing. But you know, I like, I look, there's just a huge part of me that looks at this and says, like, let's just all move on.
Speaker 7: This is so stupid.
Speaker 12: It doesn't I mean, is in stable condition right now? I would say, right after, after after what happened on that phone.
Speaker 4: Call, the Niners paid George Kittle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't know if maybe they were going to do it in reverse order and pay Rock Party and then you pay George Kittle. But what do you make of the Niners making George Kittle the highest paid tight end?
Speaker 12: Well, I think it's like sort of an acknowledgment of who he is as a player and what he's done for the organization and as a guy who's going to turn thirty two years old in October. You know, we still trust you, you know, we still trust that you're going to do everything you need.
Speaker 7: To do, because it's going to get harder as you get older, to get.
Speaker 12: Yourself ready to be one of the best tight ends in football. Now, on paper, you know what this really is is it's a bump, and it's you're going to be on the team in twenty twenty six. Like he knows he's going to be on the team this year, this essentially assures that he's going to be on the team in twenty twenty six, so he gets a nice pay raise. You're going to be on the team the next two years, and then after that we'll see. It's trumpeted as a four year extension. It does not mean he's going to be on the team when he's thirty eight years old. So, you know, I think, as much as anything else, this is sort of the gold Watch deal, you know what I mean, Like, this is the deal where you say, we love you. You're going to be a part of our organization forever. You've got a legacy here.
Speaker 7: We're going to reward you one last time.
Speaker 12: We're gonna give you the security of knowing you're going to be here for the next two years and we'll see after that.
Speaker 2: The Bill Belichick book, where Robert Craft is not even in the acknowledgments. What do you make of that exchange that he had with the Sunday Morning the CBS Morning Show.
Speaker 12: Well, I mean, was it Georgia Tech against Cumberland and the was that the two hundred and twenty two or nothing game?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 12: Yeah, Like I would say that would be sort of the same matchup as CBS News against the people who are running Belichick's interview.
Speaker 4: There that makes sense. Well, okay, wait a minute.
Speaker 2: Now, his girlfriend's job, I would think, is to troubleshoot.
Speaker 4: She heads up his PR.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have to have let's go through the potential questions. You're going to get Bill, I'm going to ask you the questions, and then we are going to cobble together and answer Yeah Bill. Bill seems shocked, and then he also when the you know, they followed up by asking, you know.
Speaker 12: If it is true, if it is true that the reason that's got out and the reason they shot that they shot her off camera is because it was non stop interrupting and there was a real problem for them. Well, that's not the way like a professional in that situation acts. Like if you have like a publicist or a PR person who's handling that for you, I mean, you know this as well as I do. Dan, you've sat down in these sorts of interviews before. I mean, they're very they're usually very professional, and if there is a PR person or a publicist there for the person who is being interviewed, that person's not interrupting. That person has an idea of everything that's going on with everybody there, in a lot of cases has a relationship with the network, you know what I mean. Like, so they're working through all of that stuff.
Speaker 4: But Bim should have been prepared for that question.
Speaker 7: That's an yeah, yeah, And that part of it.
Speaker 2: Is even him getting fired Albert, he didn't even have an answer for that because they let him go and he goes mutual.
Speaker 12: Mutual, yeah yeah, but that part of it, I'm not sure he would have answered that differently, Like I that felt Did that not feel to you like a little bit of knife twisting, like you know with with with Craft, Like it just felt to me like, I know what he doesn't want to hear here, so I'm gonna I'm gonna twist the knife.
Speaker 7: That's what it felt like to me.
Speaker 4: Yea.
Speaker 12: I mean, and we know the guy knows how to hold a grudge, right, I mean so I like I it.
Speaker 7: It felt to me like just watching.
Speaker 12: It and knowing and knowing Bill and having you know, been around professionally around Bill for the last twenty years, like like he generally doesn't say a lot of things by mistake, and that correct answer was like basically like yeah, I did it, and I meant to do it, and I did it for a reason.
Speaker 2: She just has to be better. If you're gonna if you're gonna be his sounding board, you have to say to him, they're gonna ask you these questions, right, you know, you're preparing for depp is well.
Speaker 7: And if I if I'm in the room, they're going to ask about me.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, I'm sure, but you know, I she could have been hands off from the standpoint of this is a book about Bill in winning. This has nothing to do with her, their relationship or North Carolina. Right, But now, would I still ask because she's interrupting? I probably would have said, why don't you come over here and sit down with us because you're disrupting the interview. Either be in the interview or get out of the room.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 12: It Also it also sort of makes Bill look weak, doesn't it? Like I just I mean it does like like we can call it what it is. Like if you're talking about like making him look good, that wasn't happening either, you know, like let him answer the question.
Speaker 4: He's the most prepared coach we've ever had.
Speaker 12: And you don't know and like you don't think he knew that could be asked. Of course he did.
Speaker 4: Of course he did.
Speaker 12: I mean, like if he's putting, if he's parking her ten feet from the camera, like then he has to know. Like they'ren they could ask about that, and maybe they will, maybe they won't, but they could ask about that.
Speaker 2: So it'd an absurd that we're actually talking about this if I would have said to you, hey, three years ago, Hey, you know what's gonna happen with Bill. He's gonna meet this girl on a plane and uh, he's not gonna get back in the NFL. He's gonna leave the Patriots and he's gonna coach at North Carolina and we're gonna talk about how she's running his life.
Speaker 7: Will you look at it? So interesting?
Speaker 2: Those pictures on the on the beach where they're posing, like we.
Speaker 12: Had that, we had that, we had that thing like Brady Kraft Belichick for all those years and everything else. And who's I mean, like, who's the one that's like winning that? Yeah, I guess that's another Georgia Tech versus Cumberland, right, Like It's like, is Brady is now a part owner of the Raiders? Was was you know, just part of hiring a head coach and a general manager and.
Speaker 7: Uh, you know the other two guys are sort of engaged in this.
Speaker 4: It's just it is crazy.
Speaker 7: It feels to me like the theater of the absurd.
Speaker 12: I mean, it's just like if we can all be again, like, if we can all be honest about this, It's like, there's no way, there's no way. Five years ago if you had told me that this is where we would be, you know, and five years ago is when Brady walked out the door.
Speaker 7: If you had told me like this would.
Speaker 12: Be there, that this would where we would be left five years later, I would have I would have said, that sounds like a that sounds like a Saturday Night Live skit.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's just unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Good to chat with you. We'll talk to you in the off season. Thank you again, Albert. All right, Thanks Dan, That's Albert Breer.
Speaker 4: He is the Monday Morning quarterback. We'll take a break. We're back after this.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: You know, we talk about Shudor Sanders sliding. I think one of the biggest slides and it's been overshadowed by shad Or Sanders is Quinn yours. Because a year ago, if we looked at mock drafts, Quinn, youwers is going in the first round and maybe viewed as the number one quarterback, and as the season progressed and you weren't seeing.
Speaker 4: His name up high in mock drafts.
Speaker 2: That's where somebody's got to be honest with the kid or the family in saying you're sliding, and you might want to I said it on the show, he should try to play one more year, get four or five million dollars playing college football. Maybe you can go up the draft board, whatever you needed to work on, go back to college and play one more year.
Speaker 4: He slides to what seventh round?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Pauline, I have a few different NFL draft profiles of Quin Yours, including NFL dot COM's Lance's airline, who's kind of an expert, he says, late round two, round three, expectation for him being picked.
Speaker 2: Oops, that's a big slide. So you can look at Shadoor Sanders. He at least went in the fourth round. Quinn Yours seventh round. It's a big, big drop. But you know, he doesn't have famous dad, and there wasn't a lot of hype about him and everything that goes along with Shador Sanders, and Shadoor Sanders was great for ratings. Hijacked unintentionally hijacked the draft. But there were other quarterbacks, certainly quin Yours, that they went a lot lower than we thought they were going to. But who did he end up going to Miami?
Speaker 4: He might get a chance.
Speaker 7: I don't, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't rule it out anymore because nobody stays healthy enough to play the entire season, and certainly with Tua, the odds of him getting a chance to play a little bit higher. Although you got Zack Wilson in front of you. Did Zach Wilson take the number zero? I think he did. Can you see if that's his new number in Miami?
Speaker 3: Zero as in zero fs to give oh that's right, new Zach in town.
Speaker 4: Do you see it? Polly zach Wilson's new number?
Speaker 2: Man, if it's true, that's where you have to have somebody saying God a good idea?
Speaker 4: Zero zero? Yes, Marvin zach Wilson will wear number zero for them?
Speaker 2: No, where are the grown ups in the room here? Actually it's you see better when grown ups stay out of these things. But sometimes you want grown up to be honest with you.
Speaker 9: Yes, Todd, Yeah, other than Marcus Mariota, second person to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I just given what happened with the Jets, you don't want to be known as his zero like you just don't. Don't don't get close to that fire, get too close to negative numbers? Yeahs minus one? Yes, Marvin?
Speaker 8: What number would you have won him to take?
Speaker 12: It?
Speaker 4: Does matter? Just anything but zero? Yeah, like eight infinity?
Speaker 5: Yes, don't be clueless and ask for thirteen. That would be much worse.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that would be bad? Could I thirteen? He'd being serious? Yeah? Who didn't? Wait? Did Chad Pennington have that? No? Dann Marino did? Okay, more phone calls coming up? Zero can't do zero.
Speaker 2: Two hours in the books on this Tuesday, New Poll question coming up more of your phone calls as well. Yes, Fritzi is here today, Seaton, Marv, Paula, yours truly and of course the back room guys the final hour on this Tuesday, right after this