Speaker 1: Hello, my love. It is La La Keent with Randal.
Speaker 2: We are back for another exciting episode. First, I want to just say, so nobody forgets we are going on tour.
Speaker 3: That is right, That's it.
Speaker 1: That's it's up. Give them Lala with Randall is going on tour. Give them Laalat with Randall Live. You can get your tickets at give them live dot Com and.
Speaker 3: There you go. You go to there. What say one more time, just case saying to.
Speaker 1: Hear you give them live dot com and.
Speaker 3: Here are our cities that we are going to tell you to not miss.
Speaker 2: Our cities are November thirtieth, Dallas, Texas December one, Austin, Texas December two, Houston December third, New Orleans, and then we go from there to beautiful Fort Lauderdale on December fifth, Clearwater, Florida December sixth, Orlando Home with Disney World on December eighth, and if you're lucky to catch our season finale, go to Atlanta.
Speaker 1: That's what's up. And just a quick reminder that DJ James Kennedy will be with us for all of the Texas dates, and Jackson, Brittany and hopefully Baby Cruz will be with us throughout our Florida dates, and.
Speaker 2: We have one new surprise to add to the tour, which we will continue to add tour surprises.
Speaker 3: We have the.
Speaker 1: Bachelorette Hannah Godwin.
Speaker 3: We have Hannah and her man.
Speaker 1: Yes, we have we have Hannah Godwin and her dude, Dylan. We're super hyped about that.
Speaker 2: Yes, and by the way, Hannah Godwin will be joining us for in Florida for the segments of get to Know Your Partner, So they're going to try to oust us with knowing each other. We're going to try to ouse them and we're going to see what couple knows each other better. But we're also gonna have guests from the audience coming up participating as well.
Speaker 1: I know it's gonna be so much fun. It's going to be super interactive. I'm trying to kick it with you, guys. I don't just want to like stand on a stage and look at your faces. I really, I know you're gonna go on tour if you.
Speaker 3: If you can't tour with the people, well.
Speaker 1: Because here's the thing, Rand, I'm gonna be real without the people that come to the tour, without the people that you know watch the show. I don't get to like have the things that I have. So it's important for me to get to like know the people that they.
Speaker 3: Support your businesses, your brands, and by the way.
Speaker 1: They support me as a human, like the amount of people that reached out to me, like when I can when we conceived Ocean, when my dad passed away. Like these people are ride or die for La La, and I really fucking love them.
Speaker 2: I gotta say, I can't relate to any of this support, but I do have.
Speaker 3: You know how many friends I have? I think by the way I was.
Speaker 2: I was at one of the vander Pop restaurants recently and I had over seven people come.
Speaker 3: Up to me.
Speaker 1: So why that you counted?
Speaker 3: Don't show with me?
Speaker 2: No, I think I have twenty fans. Now I went from four to nine and I think I have twenty. So I contribute a little bit to your fan base.
Speaker 1: I love that. So today is super you guys. I never get intimidated by anybody that we have on the podcast, and I won't even lie. I've like broken out into Colt sweats because we have Catherine Power.
Speaker 3: Yes, and by the way, I'm a.
Speaker 1: Good clot baby, give her a good.
Speaker 2: Class, no, But I'm excited about Catherine because because this is a special guest.
Speaker 3: That we were very lucky to get.
Speaker 2: Catherine is a power player in the entrepreneurial space. She has built incredible brands. She's actually, believe it or not, and Laala. People don't know this, but this is one of Lala's biggest role models. Because as Lala is building your as you're I'm talking about you here.
Speaker 3: Not here, as you're building.
Speaker 2: Your platforms, She's the kind of CEO and boss that you want all of your brands to end up. And she's had her businesses for a decade, some of them some of them much newer. But she she's gonna tell us all about it. But she's got incredible brands that she's built from the grad up. And she also even has a line company with superstar actress Cameron Diaz.
Speaker 1: So no big deal, no big deal, let's start just Cameron Diaz. I know it's really incredible. So before I fully go into meltdown mode.
Speaker 3: Apparently are you spilling tea right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Oh, I got to check out of this part.
Speaker 1: So this troll who goes by the name of Kelly Dodd decided to come out of her hole can come for me.
Speaker 3: But who is that? Who is Kelly Dodd? Because I don't know, I mean, because you know, I don't know reality that well. I know vander Pump.
Speaker 1: She used to be on Real Housewives of Orange County. Okay, she got fired, and God what I would give to have her on this podcast because I just want to know, like, like, when you mess up rand and people like you have repercussions, you learn from the behavior, right, Yeah, of course she doesn't. But I have a question, and I want to know why.
Speaker 2: Okay, stop person, because I'm lost, because I don't really know all the tea because you're spilling, So you want to bring somebody on this podcast.
Speaker 1: She'll never do it, but I would love it if she was like, sure, but.
Speaker 2: You're are you officially inviting this person on our podcast that you have beef with?
Speaker 1: I don't have beef with her. She has beef with me, and I don't know why what?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: So it started with we had Nick Ritchie on a couple weeks ago and she commented like that I'm an idiot, right, and Nick Ritchie was like, I didn't know you had beef with Kelly Dodge. She called you an idiot in the comment section. I was like, really, I didn't know I had beef with her either, So like whatever, I comment back and then I move on with my life. Then she fucking which I was just sent this, by the way, and it happened a few weeks ago, and I was like, how did I miss this? And then I remembered that's right. I was working because I still have a job. And she posted a picture of me with Gallum from Lord of the Rings and granted, like, I do see the resemblance between me and Gallum and the photos she posted, but she said, does anyone else see a resemblance? I would have clicked yes, because I do this.
Speaker 3: You see a resemblance between you and Gollam in the photo?
Speaker 1: Like definitely, I would have clicked yes. But more people clicked no. So she deleted it. But I was like, wait a minute, what have I possibly said about her that she would like be so upset at me?
Speaker 3: So what did you say it upset her?
Speaker 1: I don't know how I'm still recognized right she's.
Speaker 2: Treating this article right now, Lalla, fireback. Oh no, this is a whole thing between you two.
Speaker 3: Oh. This started in October of twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Wait it did. That's news to me.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, that's something that she did. Okay, sorry, you just fired back about Okay, so here's the thing. Let me summarize this for people that don't know, because I didn't know you have a beef with this Kelly Dodd.
Speaker 3: She came for you.
Speaker 2: She posted a picture of Gullum. She said, do you guys look blike that's that's little mean because Gullum's a monster, so you're not a monster.
Speaker 1: I think it was more about the physical appearance.
Speaker 3: But okay, so what so keep in mind on the show or not? I want to know is it official? Say it or not?
Speaker 1: Kelly Dodd hit a bit up man, like I got to pick your brain. You're a fascinating human to me, and I know you have a lot of time on your hands now, so please fucking be on my podcast.
Speaker 3: Okay, that was what you would call it, dig is it? Yeah? I just wanted you to invite her. Come on, Well listen. All I want to say is I don't know Kelly Dodd.
Speaker 2: I don't know any of this except what I just saw on this column, which I consider not not nice. But at the end of the day, you invite her up here and maybe she'll join the podcast. And by the way, do you think maybe you guys could be friends after the podcast? Do you think you can make up? Could I broke her up? Peace treaty between you two on the podcast?
Speaker 1: I think we would say, like we like she here's I don't have a beef with her at all.
Speaker 3: Okay, she has a beef with you.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm confused why I want I want to pick her brain. I didn't know we had a beef.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, right, let me back up. So that's just my she has.
Speaker 2: A beef with you, You've now invited her on our podcast, and I am hoping that through this peace treaty, you guys could figure out And.
Speaker 1: You have to know, like, because people asked me, how did you feel about this? And I was like, when you have people like Jennifer Lawrence call you and see you next Tuesday, when other people come for you, it's like kind of trivial, like Kelly Dodd coming for me, not that big of a deal. Like I've had the biggest movie stars. I've had a lot of people come for me, you know, and I've shaken that shit off. So this is like whatever like, Kelly Dodd, please come on my podcast. I want to take your brain so bad.
Speaker 2: So by the way, So what I get from this is I think Kelly will hear this, and I think she's probably reasonable, and I think she'll take you up on your offer. And I'm interested to see why it even started for her and then you guys, can.
Speaker 1: I tell you what I think it was? Do you remember when we were in Puerto Rico when we were talking to Bronwyn and we were saying, like, because Kelly Dodd was coming for Bronwin with her sobriety, do you remember this? And we were like, you can't come for someone who's like trying to get sober or is continuing to be sober. That's the only thing I can think of. But you know, she'll be on the podcast.
Speaker 2: You guys will sort it out right here. I think this is great. I think it's a nice platform for you and her to get on.
Speaker 1: This is my prediction. She won't do the podcast, but after she hears this, she's going to come for me on her Instagram. Okay, that's my prediction.
Speaker 2: Can I tell you my prediction what my prediction is she hears this podcast, she hears my voice or reason, and I believe that she will accept her invitation because she she probably has a reason for whatever it started. And then you guys will talk and I think you guys will be friends after That's my prediction. So let's see you is right. I'm betting that Kelly Dot's going to come on and be cool and talk to you, and you guys are going to figure it out. Your prediction is she's going to take it to the GRAM and keep coming for you. Let's see next week what the result is.
Speaker 1: Either way, I'm thoroughly looking forward to it.
Speaker 2: Well, I want to tell you that I want to get right into this first guest.
Speaker 3: I want to give her all the time in the world.
Speaker 2: Because you both are are CEO bosses, and I think that you guys are gonna have a lot in common. I know you've been excited as it gets about this, so I'm going to actually remain probably okay, pretty.
Speaker 1: Quiet from my perspective. I'm trying to get to a level where I can say that she and I have a lot in common. I'm excited to really pick her brain. It is not lost upon me that she has built something that I dream about daily.
Speaker 2: So I kind of say to that, I understand you're giving her mad respect because she has been doing this for over a decade and she's, you know, achieved major, major, high level success. But but you also have achieved a lot of success in a short three and a half four year period, and don't.
Speaker 3: Discredit that either.
Speaker 1: But thank you, baby.
Speaker 2: But you know what, we're going to learn a shit ton from Catherine that I feel.
Speaker 1: I agree. So we're going to take a short break and we will be right back with Catherine Power. And we are back. I'm so intimidated. Oh my gosh, I know. I'm so giddy. Catherine. What's that babe?
Speaker 5: Yes, Hello, Hello, I'm so happy to be with you guys today. I can't think of anything I'd rather do after my lunch break on this Monday.
Speaker 2: Yes, we like to bring you happiness into Monday.
Speaker 1: So before we start, we just have to acknowledge the fact that Randall was so excited when you did a podcast with Cameron Diaz and someone the guy asked you who is your favorite house husband?
Speaker 3: You could take it back now, don't worry, you can take it.
Speaker 4: Back my favorite.
Speaker 5: You have brought such a great energy to that show and I'm so happy that you finally, you know, stepped on to it because you are It's true, you know, so nice.
Speaker 2: What happened was you know, for a long time, I was you know, I come from the other side of the camera, so definitely wasn't comfortable in any respect. And after about three years they got really smart and they went to Lala and said, but we're going to make a part of your deal, so whether he likes it or not, he's showing up.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, whoa.
Speaker 2: So anyway, we worked it out and it was very minimal the first season, and because I was petrified I know what was going to happen.
Speaker 3: And then I actually had like a lot of fun. Like I was just I made.
Speaker 2: The best of it and now and now they got me in there like a lot, a lot more than I thought I would ever be.
Speaker 4: So I love it.
Speaker 5: You're so likable, and I think it was good after hearing for so many years all of these different opinions of who you may or may not have been with, Like to actually see this amazing guy and personality I think is really good.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you.
Speaker 2: And honestly, Lala had been telling me for years, She's like baby, you don't understand. If you just do it, then the myth and all the drama of what you really are will go away. And I'm like, I'm not doing that.
Speaker 3: That's not who I am, you know.
Speaker 2: And ultimately, of course I I she puts a lot of pressure, can't say no to laws.
Speaker 3: So there you go. But thank you because it was.
Speaker 1: I was really really that's a good thing because I feel like you don't like, you don't take no for it. You can't get to where you are by taking no for an answer, right.
Speaker 4: That's right. Yeah, no is just a you know, change in horse.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: So will you tell everybody?
Speaker 2: Because you know, I know what you do and who you are and what you've accomplished. Can you just kind of give us like how how it started, how it became, what it is, and where it's going to go kind of snapshot and then we can kind of, you know, get under the hood.
Speaker 4: Sure.
Speaker 5: So I am an entrepreneur and CEO mostly in the fashion, beauty and now beverage space. So I created a brand called who What Where about fifteen years ago. So who What Where was kind of the first company to bring fashion magazine sensibilities to the Internet and then make the content shoppable. So we you know, grew this business to what you know now reaches about twenty million women per month and turn that into a clothing line as well. So we launched an apparel collection back in twenty sixteen, really trend forward, size, inclusive, affordable fashion that has been you know, mainly distributed throughout Target across the US. And now we're launching a new what We're collection actually on our website on August fifteenth, so you'll be able to shop unique pieces from the site. I also started a skincare brand called Verst First is the cleanest and most sustainable drug store skincare brand today, and that really came out of, you know, information we were getting from the who what We're audience, you know, women saying I live two hours from a Saphora or you know, I don't have enough disposable income to go buy you know, beauty products at a department store.
Speaker 4: But I want you know, cleaner.
Speaker 5: Products, I want cooler products, I want more effective products. And we saw that the majority of our customers were still discovering all their beauty products and drug stores. So when we looked at the drug store skincare Ale. We saw that hadn't changed in about fifty years, and so we developed this brand called First, which now is distributed through about five thousand retailers. Everything's under twenty dollars an item, and because we were able to launch at such scale, it helped us really drive down the cost of the formulations and drive up the quality. I also have a makeup brand called Merit, which just launched in January that sold at Sephora and direct to consumer. But that's a luxury brand that's kind of all based around this concept of minimalist beauty. And finally, I have Aveline, which is my clean and organic wine brand that I yes that I like me at least once a week I text Cameron and say, I'm so happy we created this because you know, it's like we needed it.
Speaker 4: But Avuline I created.
Speaker 5: A partnership with Cameron Diaz, who is one of my really good friends. And you know, we saw that everything in our lives has gotten healthier, it has gotten better for us. And you know, we were sitting there drinking a bottle of wine and we said to ourselves, you know, I wonder if there's any way to make wine better for us? And when we really dug into the wine making process and how most commercial wines are made.
Speaker 4: You know, it was really shocking to us just the.
Speaker 5: Amount of additives that can be added throughout the wine making process without any disclosure. Most of the wine is not organic because there are just not a lot of organic land here in the US. So aveline is wine that's made from organic grapes with super low intervention, and it's delicious. You know, we're very discerning wine drinkers, so we went, you know, all over the world to find the perfect wine making partners for each unique blend.
Speaker 4: And that has been so fun.
Speaker 5: You know, we launched during the pandemic and you know, for better or worse, alcohol consumption has been up, so you.
Speaker 3: Know that's good time and time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, at least if you're you know, if somebody is drinking, we're happy to give them, you know, a cleaner option.
Speaker 3: That's great. Wow. So that's you're pretty pretty busy.
Speaker 1: I mean, and all of your your brands that you just spoke about, all of your lines I've obviously heard of. I've tried them. Joy Lab is also yours.
Speaker 4: Yes, you know I've seen you wear Joy Lab girl.
Speaker 1: That's all I wear. That's amazingmon, who is where it's at. It's the cutest like ath leisure, workout apparel, it's the fit is fantastic. I mean, you really just kill it all around. So it's really a pleasure to have you on this podcast. And you know, it's so relatable. When when I started doing give Them La La Beauty, you were saying with Verst, you know, there aren't many people who can go out and spend hundreds of dollars on their skincare. And I think the fact that you, before anybody made skincare affordable and approachable is just brilliant.
Speaker 3: That's amazing.
Speaker 2: And the fact that it's everything's twenty dollars under in right, and it's like such a smart, smart move. I mean, especially like you said, fifty years, nothing's changed in these drug stores and you found a way to come in and bring an uplift you know, to it. And that's pretty cool.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's a that's an anomaly that's not easy to come up with. That place. Find your place such a busy, busy space.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean that's what I like to do, is I search for white space, you know, specifically in this kind of millennial gen Z and you know merits even like older millennial you know gen X, which I saw as like a big opportunity, but I love you know, finding the white space and then you know, creating a brand a value proposition for the consumer based on it.
Speaker 3: Do you have a lot of partners in the other brands? Are you the sole you know? Yeah, an owner.
Speaker 4: I have a wonderful co founder in Who What Where?
Speaker 5: Who I launched the business with fifteen years ago, Hillary Kerr.
Speaker 4: I have amazing executive teams.
Speaker 5: I mean, That's how I'm able to do so many things is that, you know, I have a president who's been with me for nine years, a CFO, a CEO, you know, all of these people who are just so talented and really are executing on the day to day.
Speaker 4: And then we bring in.
Speaker 5: You know, different investors based on the you know, the knee, the strategic need, the skill set, and so a lot of different partners. I tend to work with the same people over and over. It's probably like making a movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, you go with the.
Speaker 5: Same you know, the same people over and over because you just have your groove, you understand each other. And so I've kind of built that little ecosystem in the CpG world.
Speaker 1: So when when you talk about all of these things that you've created, do you feel like, because you said, who what where has been around for quite some time? Do you think that the market now is saturated when people try to come in and start something, do you kind of look at it and go, Okay, I respect the hustle, but it's like, you know, we had it. I don't want to say that what you did was easy, let's not get that twisted. But do you feel like with time, you know, anyone can create a brand, but to make it a success is much harder than it was, you know, X amount of years ago.
Speaker 5: I mean, I certainly think you can become a self made expert now right without having to go to you know, chemistry school or having been a makeup artist for example.
Speaker 4: The world today allows you to do that.
Speaker 5: It doesn't mean you could just wake up one day and decide you want to do it with no passion or interest or willingness to learn. I mean, when Cameron and I wanted to make a wine brand, we knew nothing about the alcohol industry.
Speaker 4: We knew about the.
Speaker 5: Consumer, okay, and so what we did is we set out and we would we took a meeting with anyone who would ever meet with us that remotely was connected to alcohol or that industry, and we would just start asking questions and learning. I mean, I do think certain categories are saturated, but I also think that, you know, the way that the world is now, we're going to have like fewer multi billion dollar brands and a lot more sort of smaller brands that meet you know, consumers where they are so much more niche. And I think that's you know, the consumer demand has what's really resulted in so many brands coming to market with so many different points of view.
Speaker 4: And I think as.
Speaker 5: Long as you do have a really unique point of view and a unique position in the market, you know, you can make room for yourself.
Speaker 1: Right, you feel like you have to also be an expert with branding because we we live so much, you know, on our phones, with social media, and you know, even though I am a part of that generation who should be fantastic at it, I actually really suck at it. And I wish that it wasn't such a huge part of you know, the day to day and selling. And I hear you it's a real bitch Catherine.
Speaker 5: I know I'm personally not great at it, you know, for the brands, I hire the people that really get it and understand it and just totally let them do their thing.
Speaker 4: I would probably be so much more successful if I did lean in a little bit more personally, But I just it's not organic to who I am. So I totally get it right.
Speaker 1: And you had posted a story This had to have been a few weeks ago, and I think it was your husband who was talking about how gender roles really don't exist in your households. Yes, yes, I love that so much. Can you expand on like what your day looks like and like what your husband takes on that most people would say, oh, that's a quote unquote woman's job, Like what does it look like at your house?
Speaker 4: So I think, you know, for one thing, my husband grew up with a mom.
Speaker 5: Who ran her own business, you know, was definitely a career, you know, driven woman. So I think he's really comfortable with that. I mean, he literally started dating me the moment I decided to start who what where?
Speaker 3: Oh wow?
Speaker 5: So he's been through you know, everything with me, and you know, we've gone through so many different phases of him you know, helping to support me in the early days when we were just funding at ourselves and you know what, weren't taking a paycheck.
Speaker 4: And now he's.
Speaker 5: Doing a startup, so I'm able to support him where well he can just take the time to do that.
Speaker 4: And you know he.
Speaker 5: Has, he's been an advertising photographer and director and you know, kind of developed this passion for cooking on the side. It really accelerated during COVID. So now he's you know, he cooks. I do not cook, what's all. And now he's kind of turned that into a business. He's launching a food line and you know, I have a four year old son, and you know, he's obsessed with Disney princesses and Elsa and you know, jewelry and and hair accessories and so you know, it's not what you would traditionally expect or historically expect, and it works so well for our family.
Speaker 4: It's so special.
Speaker 5: You know, we love our son and it's just a real it's just you know, I guess I think that's what he meant when you know, he said things are changing, and he thinks it's a good thing.
Speaker 1: I fully agree. I mean, I think it's absolutely spectacular when you see a man like really supporting his wife while she goes out and does the things that you do. I mean, I'm sure he's so proud, and what an epic example for your son.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, and it is.
Speaker 5: You know, it is a full time job to be in a relationship with an entrepreneur, and you know, with someone with really bold ambitions.
Speaker 4: You know, he's totally.
Speaker 5: You know, just probably very comfortable with with you know, what he's doing right now in our life.
Speaker 4: And I'm just always like driving for more. He puts up with that, and so no, I.
Speaker 3: Love it like that too.
Speaker 2: I say, I cook and I clean, No kidding, I don't do anything of us star.
Speaker 3: By the way, La La bullshited me, just so we're all clear, and I will.
Speaker 1: I did totally.
Speaker 3: She costs me two one one thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: So she looked at me and she's and I said, babe, you know like when I met her kind of similar. She was just starting on the SHO Show. She was just she had all these dreams and ambitions. And when I met her, She's like, Babe, I want to start a skin a makeup brand. I was like, oh, that's great, and just out of the gate, you know, needed my support and love and cheerleading. And I did it because I knew she was a boss. So I wasn't even a question. And I said, can I invest in in this thing? Because I know whatever she does, she's going to drive it home. And I was like, she's definitely gonna take my money. And she came home like a few days later and she's like, baby, you know, I really love you and I just need your support, but not financially. And I was like, what, You're not gonna And I was so like bent. And now she's turned into a multi million dollar business. I'm so proud of her. It is, baby, it is. She downplays it, but but the thing is, I'm so proud of her. She did it all on her own, didn't. I mean, you know, with my emotional support, but not. But did it all on her own. R. But the funny thing is she did cost me two undred grand with the cooking because I said to her, baby, if you would just cook one time a week for you, just so.
Speaker 3: I feel like, pretend, just play, pretend.
Speaker 2: I'll buy the apron, I'll stand around the side, I'll I'll even put the ingredients on the stove for you and we could just like kind of do it together.
Speaker 3: She's like, if I had a nice kitchen, I would, So what did I do?
Speaker 4: I built her the best in the kitchen.
Speaker 2: The best okay, they asked me, and I don't know about cooking. They asked me, like, do you want the four bird or the six burn of the apron? I was like, apron. My girl needs an apron. She hasn't been in that kitchen since that thing was completed.
Speaker 1: So it's gorgeous.
Speaker 4: Though, you know, it's you gotta love it. You love and you know if you don't, it's like why you know?
Speaker 1: But Catherine, he likes he likes beef jerky, which is his version of steak, and like well done chicken. And that's not fun. It's like, give me something fun. I like a challenge.
Speaker 3: So you did cook a smoothie. I'm cooking. You did blend the smoothie for me the other day. I was shocked. You're like. I woke up and she's like, do you want a smoothie? And I was like, who are you? And she's like, I'm into it right now. It's like I'll take it whatever.
Speaker 1: I'll tell that's true. I do stup my ja body.
Speaker 4: During lockdown, you guys didn't even get.
Speaker 1: Any Can I tell you it was hysterical because we're sitting down after restaurants opened for takeout, and we sit down and Randall's like, don't you just feel like a normal person again now that we can order takeout? I was like, and this is why we're meant to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, we didn't. We didn't.
Speaker 2: You know, We're lucky that, you know, because I have I have three kids told to I have two kids that are seven to eleven and now a newborn was five months four and a half months. And when we're in lockdown, you know, we have a nanny that helps out when I go to work, and she goes to work, and thank god, she does cook. Isabelle does cook and she is she loves. She gets home and she's like, what can I make everybody? I was like, oh my god. So I think that we're both a little spoiled. She knows that her Like last.
Speaker 3: Night, I'll give you a perfect example.
Speaker 2: We're alone last night with our with our four and a half months old, and we get home and and we're sitting there, it's like eight o'clock and I'm like, what are we have for dinner? And she's like, I don't know, Like we just we just hit a wall. We're just alone. I don't know what.
Speaker 4: I totally get it. By the way, it's a little bit of a myth.
Speaker 5: You know, Justin is out a different house filming like four things at a time. They're not actually making right home to me, and my wonderful nanny is downstairs right now making a chicken as we speak.
Speaker 3: So it's a.
Speaker 4: Little bit of a myth. But he definitely does cook for us, you.
Speaker 3: Know, has the ability when he wants to step up.
Speaker 1: He'll step up two three times a week after that's a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, could I take what's a month at this point?
Speaker 1: But right, okay, we're going to take a short break and we will be right back. And we're back. That's so short, that's so it's quick.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 1: So I have a question. You said your husband's name is Justin. Yeah, you said you met him right before you started Who what where? What were you doing before you started that?
Speaker 4: So? I was the West Coast editor of L magazine, And.
Speaker 1: So you're just a baller. You're just a gangst like you just have always been a hustler.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've always been a hustler. You know, I did not.
Speaker 5: Have a traditional education path I was. When I was young, I was a very serious dancer.
Speaker 4: Kind.
Speaker 5: I did everything, mostly jazz and ballet. I was in a performing company here in the valley and spent you know ten am till ten at night, about four days a week, you know, dancing And so as a result, I ended up doing home study for high school.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, did that?
Speaker 4: And I graduated early.
Speaker 5: You know, I was sixteen, and I was doing a lot of you know film and TV as a dancer, and so you know, you had to be emancipated really in order to work those adult hours. And so my mom, you know, took me at sixteen to be emancipated so I could do the movie Austin Powers.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: From then on, Yeah, from then on, I was able to work as an adult. So I actually started in film. That's what I thought I wanted to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I went to.
Speaker 4: Work at Touchstone for a producer.
Speaker 5: I was the youngest employee there outside of the kid actors.
Speaker 4: It was owned by Disney.
Speaker 5: But I started working there when I was seventeen, and I was only able to do that because I had been you know, emancipated and did that for a while, and then I got into night life.
Speaker 4: And you know, I always say.
Speaker 3: When you say, I said, didn't we all at a nightlight at some point?
Speaker 5: And my you know, my, my advice to to anyone looking for a career is just find something you love to do and then figure out a way to get paid for it. So I followed my own advice and started working for a really big club promoter and here here in Los Angeles called Brent Bulthouse.
Speaker 2: I was going to say, he's the greatest, by the way, the greatest.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes.
Speaker 5: So I started, much like you, Lala, as a hostess at these clubs, and you know, started doing bottle service. We didn't have it in LA it was a big thing in New York. But I used to book people in these tables and charge for them. And then I from there, you know, started to see that all of these brands were coming to us asking, you know, hey, can we hand out our soda in your club? Or hey can we give out you know products as people leave? And I realized we had such a valuable audience that was coming together, you know, three days a week. So I went to brand and I pitched this idea of starting a marketing division there where you know, companies would pay us to integrate their products. Yeah, that was kind of how I got into you know, integrated advertising, which is ultimately what a media company does. And so from there, between that and my relationships just in Hollywood, I got the West Coast editor role at L and L Girl because a lot of that job was booking talent, so booking celebrities for covers, all of that. So that's really how I got into publishing and fashion and all of that. And and you know, from there, as I saw my own behavior shift to being online, you know, decided to start something that was internet based.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's a pretty dope story.
Speaker 2: I mean, like I'm friends with Brent and Noah and Jason all the you know night. Yeah, because I'm fifty, and we all came up, you know together at a time where they you know, were promote or they were you know, I mean they turned it into these you know, no adjacent soul to Madison Square Garden. My friend David Grutman sold to Live Nation. I mean, all these guys turned into moguls, and I'm so proud of all of them, because, like you said, it was a time that was so new and fresh in night life and then became like you said, I could I mean you said it so well, you know, the brands came in and the big businesses came in and it just, you know, grew. But I mean that's a that's such a neat story because I think people who are listening sometimes look at themselves, at least people I speak to, or like, how do I get into Hollywood? Or how do I start a business? How do I do all that? And they think kind of like you just start there, but you're look, you know, you started as a dancer and then went into night life and then went into publishing. And I just think there's the moral of the story for me when I when I hear someone like you was so successful, is there is no right path. It's it's got to have passion and it's got to have determination and a vision, and if you have that, you really can't fail ultimately. I mean you just you have to just kind of drive that passion into success, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so when you started, did you have to give up that job at el or what like what did your your justine at the time when you were like I'm going to start this, was it like I'm going to make this a hobby or did you have like a really grand viil.
Speaker 5: We were committed to making it a business. In fact, we were so offended in those early years when anyone would call us a blog because literally, like you know, we took our savings and invested it in this, in this business, and we licensed photos from day one and did everything legally. When you had all of these like pres Hilton and all of the you know, really gossip sites that were that were coming up, we were just taking a pure approach to fashion and always ran it that way. And because we had such a positive spin on everything this, you know, celebrities that we feature started talking about us, and that's really what propelled the you know, the brand to become a big media company.
Speaker 1: Wow, it's and I love that you you say that, because so often we see things online where it's you know, obviously things are to get clicks. You know, if I see something that says that someone has beef with someone, I'm going to click on that rather than like so and so is so happy right now? You know, it's so for you guys to take a positive approach to Yeah, I just think that's amazing. So you really did put all of your eggs in this basket.
Speaker 4: We really really did.
Speaker 5: And I've always been someone who just is a risk taker.
Speaker 4: I mean specifically with more my mind.
Speaker 5: I would never like jump out of a plane, really, but I will, you know, take my last dollar and and throw it into something I believe in, or you know, stand up on a stage and tell people I'm going to do this and then make sure it gets done. So it's just not I I've always had that sense about me where I just kind of go do something and that's just what's going to happen.
Speaker 1: I love it. And you know, you're a mom of a four year old. I'm a new mom, and I've found it hard to balance the two. You know, someone who wants to go out and work and create something for herself and be a great mom to my daughter. I mean, I'm sure a lot of moms feel that guilt when they walk out the door and they're like, am I doing the right thing?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: Do I need to make adjustments so that I can be with my kid all the time? How do you manage that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a great question, and you know, I didn't really get comfortable, I think, with being a mom until.
Speaker 4: My son was almost two.
Speaker 5: Really wow, you know, it felt kind of for it still felt foreign to me.
Speaker 4: Am I doing this right? Am I spending enough time? Is it okay if I travel now?
Speaker 5: And honestly, the first eight months were sort of a blur, like I can look back on it now, but I think when I was in it, it was just it was just sort of a blur. And I think, you know, I didn't take I took like a month off and I you know, wasn't long enough and I should have done more. But you know, I I did struggle with that in the beginning. But ultimately I think, you know, you just have to realize, like you're you're always going to be the mom, and you can define your own way of being a parent. And that may look different than you know, your your friends who are stay at home moms. But I found actually a great community of moms who helped support me. So like my friends who are stay at home moms, will make sure my kids enrolled in a class.
Speaker 4: That they're doing.
Speaker 5: And I know the best you know psychologists to go to without having to research it. And so for me, it's it's just also creating that network of support. But I just think it's going to be so much more valuable to your child, you know, to have them see you do something you love, you know, whether that is being a full time mom or having full time career. But yeah, I think there's no right or wrong way to do it.
Speaker 3: I want to say that I agree with you.
Speaker 2: I think you said it perfectly, like there are people who are equally as passionate about being at home with their child every single minute. And there are people like both of you who love your career and love your children. But I do think the people that do love their career as mothers. I always tell Lala, don't worry like you're home all the time with our baby when you need to go.
Speaker 3: Out and work and make a living.
Speaker 2: She's going to look up to you when she's ten, eight, twelve, fifteen. She's going to say, my mom set a role you know, she's a role model for me, just like an stay at home mom that that daughter will say about her mom or son, My mom was there every day and did this, whereas you two will have the perspective of it's okay to go out and work and it's okay to have a family and have a full time career. And I think, you know, I try to tell Lala because she goes, you know, up and down tears, you know, while leaving my baby. I'm like, you are in it every day you come back from the set and you sit there in the middle of the night. Why I snore and don't hear a friggin thing, you know, breastfeeding, feeding, changing diapers. So it's like, you know, you're you're a wonder woman. And I think you you know, you just have to or Superman, you just have to, like you said, you have to just own that you're a successful, strong woman, like you know, both of you, and and and women who choose careers. I know they feel guilt. I see it every day with her. Every day she asks me, am I a good moming. Stop you are the best? You're the best.
Speaker 1: I said it this morning, Catherine. I was like, you want to know what would make me feel really good right now is if you told me that I'm a good mom.
Speaker 3: I'm like, every day everything.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I just need to hear it right now.
Speaker 5: Just just the fact that you are wondering that and you're worried about it, like you're a good mom, and.
Speaker 4: By the way, enjoy this time right now and go out and.
Speaker 5: Get shit it done because she has no idea what's going.
Speaker 1: On, like, so I say.
Speaker 5: Only just now, like, mom, don't go upstairs. My home office is upstairs. He has no idea that I was flying all over the country when he was two months old, or even he doesn't even remember when I used to go into an office and that was just eighteen months ago.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, zero recollection zero.
Speaker 5: He only knows life and a mask and mommy works upstairs.
Speaker 4: So she has no idea.
Speaker 3: Honey, I.
Speaker 2: Just want to say I agree. And I said to her, I said, babe, once she starts preschool, learn from me. Once they start elementary school and they remember, shit, oh, mommy's got to go to New York for two days.
Speaker 3: They know right now, surely wants the bottle, surely wants the bottle, and to just google.
Speaker 1: Gotta right totally. Yeah, So what was it? What was your what was your first trip if you remember away from your baby that you had to take and did you leave him at home or did you bring someone to help.
Speaker 5: No, I left my baby at home. We had our baby nurse for about four and a half months. And that was so during that time, I just did everything, you know, I because I felt more comfortable having somebody who was there, you know, all night.
Speaker 4: I think I went to New York.
Speaker 5: I mean I did so many trips. I don't remember what the first one is, but you know it was certainly New York, certainly Minnesota tons of times. But that's where targets located. San Francisco, Europe.
Speaker 1: Like I've you know, oh you you were working, hustling.
Speaker 3: Working, But that's what I say.
Speaker 2: It's like, you know, I know that we bring the baby on some of the little trips with down, but yeah, it's okay for you to get on a plane and go to New York for.
Speaker 3: Three days because right now is the time, Like she's saying, I agree with that.
Speaker 1: We have we have Bravocon coming up. And I was talking to my friend Sheena, who's also on the show, who has a three month old.
Speaker 4: Oh I know, Sheena, yes, And you know, we were going.
Speaker 1: Back and forth like do we bring our babies or do we not? For them? Obviously for us, we selfishly want them there just because they're a part of us. It would be a nightmare, Like I already know that there would be a lot of work, but now we've decided we're going to leave them home, and I'm like, I have anxiety about it at night, you know, because I haven't left her yet.
Speaker 4: I understand, but it's better for you.
Speaker 5: To go get in, get out, get it done, come home faster.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: I felt like it would I would have to be there longer if he was there and settle him in and like to not disrupt her routine right and her you know flow.
Speaker 4: You know, it's going to be great, and you know great by the way, be.
Speaker 5: In the mindset of work, go get it done right by home.
Speaker 1: You know, I totally like that.
Speaker 3: I also think that you're going to be better on that.
Speaker 2: Trip than you would because you would every five seconds be asking me to go to the hotel and check on our child, but in not.
Speaker 3: Being able to be present. Just get your work done, you know. You know, are like, we had a night.
Speaker 2: Nurse for four plus months two and now we're into the nanny you know phase, and she loves for nanny. She went through thirty interviews before we found her, and now.
Speaker 3: She's like, you feel safe, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Definitely, Yeah, so before we let you go be a boss again. I saw this question on I was watching The Big Shot with Bethany Frankel, and you're a boss like she is, so and I want to know, is there any is there any thing that you would say no to? I mean, you're you're in the wine business, you have a peril, you have the makeup, the skincare. Is there anything that you'd be like, I don't need that a part of my brand? You know.
Speaker 5: I'm I'm trying to learn to say no to a lot, okay, And I think that's you know, I think like there's been this real hustle culture of wanting to do all of the things as hard as you can. And I think just now I feel like I'm in a position in my career to be able to say no to things. You know, I think if you mean, is there a category of business I wouldn't get in? You know, I I I think it's always going to be something that I have interest in, because if you're interested in what you do, you're just driven.
Speaker 4: That much further.
Speaker 5: And there's going to be, you know, plenty of things like I'm probably not going to start a camping line, much to my husband's dismay, but I'm not, you know. But but but in general, like I'm trying to say no to more stuff I can.
Speaker 3: LAA.
Speaker 2: This is probably the best podcast. I feel like if you absorb.
Speaker 3: This, oh.
Speaker 2: Off and then she wakes up and she's like losing her mind, and I'm like, honey, you've been saying yes everybody.
Speaker 1: I I feel like when when you to the position that you're in, you can start saying no. You know, I'm still I like to say that we're off of the floor. You know, we're above the ground, but we're still hovering. We're still waiting to figure out how to fly with what I'm you know, what I've created, And I don't feel like I have the luxury yet to say no to a lot of things. You know, I have bills to pay, I have a lot of things that come in and I just don't think that that's something that I should do quite yet. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean you have sections of your life though, right so some sections you may be further ahead in and I can start saying no in those things. I mean, for me, like, there are things and people like I don't say no to, right then there are other things that I've been doing for a while that I can start, you know, so you just run.
Speaker 3: Talking about when.
Speaker 2: I say when I say, she say no, I mean like the makeup line is really thriving, right, And then she'll go start three more businesses.
Speaker 3: But that'sbody will come from the back and say, you want to start this business, and I'm.
Speaker 2: Like, law, take a beat, like grow the three things you have right now, take those to the top, and then kind of go down that road.
Speaker 3: Because because she gets very like she wants.
Speaker 2: To get it all done, she never wants to quit, she never wants to stop. So there then then there starts to be a little too much of herself given.
Speaker 3: And I worry about her in your and her.
Speaker 2: Sanity because you know, I handle stress like I love the stress.
Speaker 3: I can't get enough of it.
Speaker 2: She's somebody that she she deals with it all day long. But sometimes it'll just too much, too much, too much, too much, right and now being a mom, but yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I mean also, you're leveraging your face and your being in a way that I'm not, and I think that is absolutely exhausting.
Speaker 4: You know. It's that you know, when you when it's about your face.
Speaker 5: When I have to do something, you know, a TV appearance, you know, appearing at a conference or whatever, that's performing that takes so much energy. So you can't do that as much as you can do a behind the scenes kind of a job.
Speaker 1: Right now, that is a great see like from so much, but.
Speaker 3: Honestly, honestly, that is such a great point. I didn't even think about that.
Speaker 2: When I'm making movies, I'm behind the scenes, I can do six at one time, negotiate because but when I go on her show and I have to film literally two days in one week for three.
Speaker 3: Hours in the office, I feel you have to can nap. I need like, yes time.
Speaker 2: So she does it five days a week and does all. I agree, babe, because the difference is that you're right, your face is out there, your being is out there. Most of our stuff we're sitting, you know, behind the scenes, and that's where I think you start to get exhausted, right you know. But yeah, that's great advice.
Speaker 5: And you know, the show has given you a platform now to go and create something bigger, and I do think how you handled it over the next couple of years is going to be so important for your longevity. And that might mean saying no to a bunch of, you know, opportunistic things, because you want to focus on what's gonna send you beyond this this career today.
Speaker 1: No, You're absolutely right. I think about that all the time, and I'm taking your advice great advice.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you a question, Catherine, what's your favorite episode on the show?
Speaker 1: Do you have a favorite episode that you.
Speaker 3: Can't all my friends before I ever met her, I.
Speaker 5: Mean, like for me, you know, season two, like Stassy, the whole Kristen thing. I mean, it's like Vanderpunk Rules is the best show that's ever been on television period, end of story, Like you could not make that up, you know, Like I couldn't script something like that.
Speaker 4: So I think, like it's gotta be in that, you know, in that season.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think there were some great episodes with you and James the pasta, like there were just you know, she does so many.
Speaker 2: She does understand that like half of my Hollywood community that like like and I'm just I'm gonna name drop one person, but Emma Coscoff, who's one of my best friends, who's Martin Scorsese's partner, like literally showed up at the season finale of the last season, just to see everybody she's like and I was like, kind of, that is the power of your show, like we love it. And season two was insanity.
Speaker 1: During the pandemic because I'm I had never seen an episode of inter Bump Rules that I wasn't on because I'm that being I guess, but I started watching it from the beginning and I was like, yeah, damn, this is like great TV. And I don't know if I should feel like honored that I get to be a part of it, or if I should like kind of question my mental states because they're crazy and.
Speaker 4: It is very well watch it. If you watched it, you may not have done it.
Speaker 1: By the way, it's true.
Speaker 2: I mean season two, season three, what they did. I used to tell friends of mine, this cast is like gold.
Speaker 3: I mean, I don't want them to go anywhere. It's unreal.
Speaker 5: How could they possibly find this perfect comp I just anyone who's never watched the show, I say, just go start at season one. This is the greatest gift I'm ever going to give you. I wish I could live.
Speaker 4: Through you again. And seeing it for the first time, oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: I love hearing that and.
Speaker 3: I would say to her she never watched the show.
Speaker 2: Like the first early season, I said, you don't understand why we all feel this way.
Speaker 3: Now, I know the first three seasons you get it, But I mean it was like days I just going backwards.
Speaker 2: I would call Emma. There were days where I'll call them and say, this can't be really like.
Speaker 3: This is too it's scripted. It's so insane perfect, it's too perfect, right perfect.
Speaker 5: I mean, are the producers just amazing or is it just these perfect people.
Speaker 1: I think that the way that they edit the show, they make it so funny, but like we're really just that insane. Like I sit there and when things are happening, I sometimes have out of body experiences and I'm like, are we really like talking about this stuff?
Speaker 2: I'll give you one. I'll give you one and sight first. I definitely think the producers are very talented.
Speaker 1: Of course, everyone on the show is amazing, but.
Speaker 2: I do think that they have lightning in a bottle. I think that that the whole cast who they how they put it together, and these personalities. But I'll just say this from an outsider, because even if I'm in the show, I'm still an outsider looking in the season finale and off the record, I'll tell you, but yeah, I was sitting there just having a dinner with everybody, and it's like, all of a sudden Fourth of July happens, and I'm like, what is fucking going on?
Speaker 3: It's everywhere, It's insanity. It's cam this season, this season, and.
Speaker 2: I'm looking like I forget that they have cameras even around me, and I'm I can't help myself.
Speaker 3: I check out and I start watching like I'm at home.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's unbelievable what they do and they are they I really believe.
Speaker 3: That this cast them. It is lighter than a bottle.
Speaker 1: They just have this thing that we're very resilient. I think that's why people think that it's scripted, because our bounce back is so on point that it's like normal people like you sleep with my sorry, sleep with my boyfriend, like we're not friends anymore. But this group is like, I'm gonna get over it. Just give me something.
Speaker 5: So at that age, you're just so messed up and you just you know, you just you really do it.
Speaker 2: But it's so real, I know real, and none of it I've been I've been around for many years watching her, you know, do her thing, and then just recently and I'll tell you you know, people will come up and ask is it scripted? These people wouldn't know how to do with the script if you gave it to right, it's so raw, insane great that yeah, it's all that.
Speaker 5: You were the greatest gift at the right time with that click, just like you know most new cast members.
Speaker 4: You're like, no, no, no, no, no, go mess.
Speaker 1: This up right, like we have a good thing that's not.
Speaker 4: Exactly what we needed at that time.
Speaker 1: Oh, Catherine, that means so happy. Well, thank you so much for all of the compliments and watching the show and most importantly being on the podcast today.
Speaker 5: We really appreciate it, you guys, thank you, thank you guys for having me.
Speaker 1: Of course we'll talk soon, I hope.
Speaker 4: Okay, call me anytime.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's how you upon that by baby
Speaker 4: M