Speaker 1: Alsome Media.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to it could happen here. I'm here to ask you if you can imagine a world where national borders don't define our identities. This internationalist idea has historically been known as cosmopolitanism, and it has some deep roots, including interestingly, some connection to anarchism, and of course that's what we're seeking to explore here today. I'm joined once again by the one and only.
Speaker 3: It's James James Stout. Thanks for having me, Andrew, I'm excited about this one.
Speaker 2: Thank you for having me. I'm really excited to have this conversation. Are you familiar with cosmopolitanism?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like, look, if there gets a more broad sphere of like anarchist internationalism, it is something I'm very interested in, right, Like, we had an interview on the show maybe two weeks ago, for a few weeks ago, and people hear this with people explicitly calling internationalists fighting in Myanmar. Of course, I've spent time in re Java and with internationalists there, so like internationalism is something I'm really interested in for sure.
Speaker 2: For sure, I think it's a very compelling and inspiring idea, especially in a world that lacks many of those ideas. At its core, cosmopolitanism is just the belief that all human beings belong to the same shared moral and political community that transcends national, cultural, and political boundaries. In the book Cosmopolitanism, Ethics and the Wilders Strangers, philosopher Kwame Anthony Appia describes cosmopolitanism as quote two strands that intertwine in the notion of cosmopolitanism. One is the idea that we have obligations to others, obligations that stretch beyond those to whom we are related by the ties of kith and kin, or even the more formal ties of shared citizenship. The other is that we take seriously the value not just of human life, but of particular human lives, which means taken an interest in the practices and believe at land them significance. People are different, the Costopolitan knows, and there's much to learn from our differences. Because there are so many human possibilities worth exploring. We neither expect nor desire that every person or every society should converge on a single mode of life. Whatever obligations are to others or theirs to us, they often have the rights to go their own way, so basically, we have obligations to others beyond just our immediate affiliations, and that human diversity is something to be valued, not just tolerated. So it's not the idea of assimilating all of humanity into one singular culture or society or government. Is the idea of recognizing and embracing the diversity of humans, but recognizing our shared affinity all the same. There are a couple of different versions of cosmopolitanism. There's moral cosmopolitanism, or the idea that all humans have equal moral worth. There's political cosmopolitanism, the idea that global governance or international institutions should supersede national borders. And then there's cultural cosmopolitanism, which is the blending in exchange of cultures through migration, trade, and shared histories. But cosmopolitanism fully embraced has I would say an inherent tens with power, especially nationalism, the states, and capitalism. And while it's true that liberal cosmopolitanism relies on global institutions like the United Nations and reinforces hierarchies, anarchist cosmopolitanism envisions a world where solidarity, cooperation, and mutual aid emerge from below through free association, rather than being imposed from above. So today we'll be unpacking the history of cosmopolitanism, how anarchists have engaged with the topic, and why it remains somewhat of a battleground today. Yes, the term itself comes from the Greek cosmopolities, which means citizen of the world. The earliest particulation of this idea is often attributed to Diogenes of Sinope, who is a Synic philosopher who, when asked where he came from, simply replied, I'm a citizen of the world. According to Martha Nusbaum, Greek stoics like Xeno of Citium, Seneca, and Marcus Aurelius expanded on this idea, arguing that humanity shares a universal reason and should live in accordance with nature, not artificial divisions of state or tribe. Of course, many of these philosophers didn't have any issue with patriarchy or slavery in Greece, so there is some inconsistency in their concept of a shared humanity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the two counts as human I guess, isn't it like? Which is pretty bleak.
Speaker 2: Indeed, But let's pass forward a bit. During the Enlightenment we see a more structured political philosophy of cosmopolitanism. Emergent Emanuel Kant was one of its most famous proponents. In the book Perpetual Piece, Can't imagine a cosmopolitan condition where individuals, not just states, had universal rights and where a global federation of free republics would ensure peace and cooperation. However, his version of cosson Politanism still relied on legal structures and state based governance. Another Nightman thinker associated with cosmopolitanism was Dni Dederu, who criticized colonialism and argued for a cultural exchange free from that kind of domination. He also argued against monarchy, the church, and aristocratic privileges, as they were obstacles to a truly free and universal human community, which then brings us to the French Revolution, which brought these ideas into the real world. Revolutionaries declared the Rights of Man and of the Citizen, which proclaims universal rights beyond national or social status, but the revolution soon became entangled with nationalism, particularly under the Acabins, who suppressed dissent and waged wars in the name of France. Meanwhile, the Haitian Revolution provided a different example of liberation. In practice, enslaved Africans, inspired by the French Revolution's rhetoric of liberty inequality, revolted against French colonial rule and established the first free Black republic. The revolutionaries, led by to Saint Levitire, argued that liberty was a universal human right, not one limited to European citizens, and declared Haiti a refuge to all enslaved persons. But despite its radical implications, the Haitian Revolution was largely ignored or outright opposed by European powers. Their so called enlightenment only extended to Europe, ignoring our racial and colonial realities. We also see in this time the emergence of nationalism, which on the one hand promoted self determination for omopressed nations, but on the other hand saw the nations state as a superior form of political organization. So anarchists were among the earliest critics of nationalism. Patrons of Pradawn, for instance, rejected both the nation state and centralized cosmopolitan governance, instead advocating for federation, a frequently misunderstood concept that refers in anarchist literature to a decentralized network of freely associated individuals and groups working in solidarity. Similarly, Mikhil Bcunen attacked nationalism as a tool of ruling elites, arguing that states used national identities of press, class struggle, and international solidarity. Bi Cunin did back national liberation movements, but he understood the danger of nationalism as a force that often replaces foreign rulers with homegrown oppressors. Instead, Bercunen promoted anarchist internationalism, where workers and oppressed peoples across borders would unite against both capitalists and state powers. By contrast, the Bolsheviks would eventually developed the idea of socialism in one country, and the ever paranoid Stalin would famously deride Jewish intellectuals as quote rootless cosmopolitans. This, of course aligned him with the rest of Europe's nationalists in their anti semitism, inaccurate cricketerization of cosmopolitanism as opposed to cultural identity or sovereignty and ramid defense of national borders. Honestly, I would not be surprised if Trump or Putin used some equivalent to rule less cosmopolitanism today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I did see. It was like a pro tramp account. I guess constantly or unconstantly paraphrasing Stalin.
Speaker 4: This week, so that was great.
Speaker 3: Really well, they say it's like, how many divisions does the judge command? Which is a I think there might be a quote from Stalin if it's not quote to paraphrase, right, But in this case, it's a reference to the attempts by a district court judge in GC to block the rendition of people to US ale were accused of being members of various gangs and Miroslature being the two main ones.
Speaker 2: Yes, so just being expelled. What's the connection to Stalin?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 3: The quote how many divisions does the judge command? Let me, I'm pretty sure how many divisions does the pope command? Was the starting quite, that's right. So like it's referencing this idea that like might makes right and like that, you know, if you have the bar of the state, then you're not accountable to morally or even even within the confines of the state, like separation of powers that we're supposed to happen in the US, right, Like if you have the monopoly on coercive violence and you're no longer constrained by those things.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, I see, I see. So of course, Alec, I suppose all those things they appouse. What is happening now, and they oppose what was happening then, you know. From its inception, anarchism has been an internationalist movement, rejecting the artificial borders imposed by state and champion in global solidarity. Unlike Marxist internationalism, which has often relied on the centralized structures of the first, second, or Third internationals, anarchists emphasized decentralized, horizontal networks of struggle that connected workers, revolutionaries, and stateless peoples across continents. The anarchist Saint Emer Internationale, which ran from eighteen seventy two to eighteen seventy seven, was one such network. As discussed by Lucian van der Waldt and Schmidt in Black Flame, that group explicitly rejected nationalism and state power, and throughout history anarchists worked a bridge linguistic, cultural, and national divides from multi lingual anarchist newspapers in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries such as Laprotester Argentina, der Camp in Germany and The Libertaire in France, through transnational cynicalist movements like the Industrial Workers of the World World, which organized workers across race, nationality, and language. In the early twentieth century and including contemporary mutual aid networks where anarchists coordinates across borders to support refugees, disaster relief, and addigenous land struggles. Anarchist networks, contrary to popular belief, often extended beyond Europe into North Africa, Asia and Latin America, where anti colonial and labor struggles intertwined with anarchist thought. If you're curious, by the way, about the anarchist histories of Egypt or the rest of Latin America, they could check out my series on it right here on the canappen Air podcast. And if you've listened to that series, you'll know that because anarchists were constantly persecuted, exile became a defining experience which further reinforced the internationalism. Folks like Michail Bi Cunan, Pieter Kropotkin, and Erikomana Testa moved across continents, spreading anarchist ideas and connecting struggles. Myl test in particular, was basically a common San Diego. You know, he touched multiple continents over the course of his life. So boyut the late nineteenth century anarchists like Groulph Rocker developed an alternative to both statist nationalism and liberal cosmopolitanism, which sorts of balance cultural diversity with global solidarity from below. Rocker argued that people should be free to maintain their cultural traditions without being bound to the state or nationalist identity. So liberal costopolitanism was pushing a global order through state led interventions, international institutions, and legal frameworks. And while this form of costopolitanism has led to some games on people in human rights, international refugee protections, and anti genocide treaties, well, for one, we see the failures of these institutions and practice daily, and for two, they ultimately reinforced the state power that creates so much harm, rather than dismantling it. The UN and the WTO often uphold the interest of powerful states above and before the international laws and obligations, whilst sidelining grassroots movements. While liberal costopolitanism sits on its hands waiting for elit driven reforms to the system, anarchists engage in direct action to support migrants and other marginalized folks without waiting for such reform. I have to give a shout out here, of course, to the No Borders network and also a shout out to the work that you do, James on the side.
Speaker 3: Thank you. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've see a lot more people than me doing it of course.
Speaker 2: So the sad part is, even if it started with some noble ideal, the concept of liberal cost of Politanism today doesn't so much manifest in the freedom of people, but moreso in the freedom of markets and money, the globalization of markets and money. So we will bring McDonald's Netflix to your country, but you can't come to our country, or will kill you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's about it.
Speaker 3: It was really interesting to like the moment I sort of became aware of libertarian left politics was in the early two thousands in the context of the movement against like the g eight as it was then and at the time it would be referred to in the legacy media as like anti globalization right, which I don't think it ever was right by definition. I think it was very global, Like you had people from all around the world tending these protests and rallies and speeches as such, Like it was a very global movement. The problem was not with globalization Costopolitanism internationalism. It was with the nature of neoliberal capitalist globalization, which let capital move and stop people from moving.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's some old opposition sugg as the free reign of exploitas across the globe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: We let people take their money and employ people at lower wages, but God forbid those people ever want better for themselves, or to come somewhere where they can materially benefit themselves doing the same labor in a different nation, for instance.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And to be honest with you, I've never really been a respect of borders. I think they're just I think they are really really blatantly foolish imposition. I don't even think you need to be a radical to see the issue with this idea that your one point has to determine your entire future. Yeah, that some people in the past could cut up the earth and then decide where you can roam freely.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think anyone. I see a lot more from people who are not by any means radical or even on the left, like this, like within Europe, right within the Shanngen area, which the UK has decided to remove itself from for reasons that are largely racism.
Speaker 4: Like we could move freely.
Speaker 3: When I grew up, my identity and experience was much more European than necessarily British. Right, I could go for the weekend to Spain if I wanted to, or France and flights were cheap then.
Speaker 4: So it did.
Speaker 3: Like I used to get on Friday night, take a train to Belgium, raise my bike in Belgium and come back on Sunday night, very very often, and like you see it here too in San Diego, where like the border is just a line and a delay. But for most people, like we were a very binational community. Unfortunately, the one way that that manifests itself is that the cost of living in San Diego compares the average wage is vastly disparate because we have this over pressure valve where like people can't afford it here, they can live across the border where the cost of living is cheaper, and that allows people to exploit working class people in both contexts sadly. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as you mentioned the UK, by the way, I'm not sure if you've heard the news, but Trenidad has recently been imposed visa requirements by the UK for fuck's sake. Yeah, really, thankfully we still have shanngin area access. Yeah, but just recently the UK was like due to Yeah, the usual excuse people are using the asylum seeking system that they're not removed our visa exemption, so our colonizers have now decided that, you know, we don't want you to move free in our country. We want you to pay. And visas are not cheap theyan ever cheap, especially when there's no guarantee, no other than being accepted. Yep, it makes it all the more frustrating.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and like this just comes after the British government attempting to deport Africribbean migrant Kames, part of what we call the wind rush generation, which is just one of the most disgusting and like, yeah, it just just wanted one of the most venal and pathetic things I've ever seen a government do, Like these people who the UK asked to come so that it could rebuild this economy after the Second World War, and then taking advantage of the fact that at that time there was no process for regularitation and then trying to deport these people who have lived their whole lives in the UK.
Speaker 4: It's just horrific.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. It's horrific, it's frustrating, it's infury, it's in really Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it makes me really angry, like if we didn't have a wind Rewst generation not that like you need like popular music to justify their existence as part of our community, and they should be able to stay. But we wouldn't have punk music if if we wouldn't have scar music. We like so much of what is like integral to even like quote unquote British culture. It actually came from these people because they are British and they belong there just.
Speaker 4: As much as anyone else.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I used to teach a class about music and colonial culture and colonialism, which is why that comes to mind.
Speaker 2: I actually missed an opportunity to go to the UK earlier this year. I didn't want to pay the cost to fly to go at that point in time. I know I deeply regrets it because I'm like I could have gone. Honestly, I think if you're the UK and your your country has still learn so much, like I think the UK has the least right or justification out of any country if you had to concede that a country should be lost, I don't. I don't give any country that concession, but if you had to give that concession, you could be last to receive that concession as far as I'm concerned. You don't get to go on roam across the entire planet and then shut yourself off. Yeah, you don't get to go on steel and pill fall from across the world, shuffle it all into your national museum and then block people from access it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It is just like it's just the most clear and pathetic like two level standard or whatever, and it's I mean, the UK has a very I'm sorry you didn't get to visit in one sense, and I'm sure we have lots of listeners who are in the UK. Every time I'm home, I feel this like profound sense of like post colonial melancholy that the UK it's just sort of it's getting worse and worse and worse.
Speaker 4: And the way.
Speaker 3: Britain is responding is with our government blaming everyone one else and.
Speaker 2: Like trying to strip posterity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like stealing everything they can just mess Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think frustration for me as well as that it's not to watch the country itself, although I would have loved to have visited like Scotland and you know, Whels and that kind of thing, but and all the stuff there is to see in London. But The biggest frustration for me is that it's a it's a connection point. You know, when you impose a visa like that, you block people's connections other areas. One of the few direct flights outside of this hemisphere, you know, to the European and African hemisphere is through a flight to the UK. And so by adding that in position, it's like it's like the world feels like it's being closed.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can see that.
Speaker 2: One more where there was almost a time in the recent past where it felt like or the world was opening up to people, you know, with the Internet, the rise of the Internet, and then you had, you know, the introduction of things like the Shangan Agreement. Our access the Shangan area was reairly recent I think it was twenty fifteen we got that access. Yeah, okay, But to go from that point in to like just so quickly, you know, the tied shifts. So now there's extremely hostile global order towards something as fundamental as the movement of people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it definitely.
Speaker 3: We definitely are entering it in like an era where things are becoming more closed off again than many of us grew up with, right, many of us you know, I said, what most of my experience that I can remember was being able to move freely through Europe, and that's not the case anymore for British as citizens. Yeah, like it's getting visas and everything else is getting harder and harder to move around the world. And despite the Internet somewhat connecting us, like, our physical mobility is certainly much more limited.
Speaker 2: Indeed, I think the idea of cost and Paulson is getting back to it, I think it's valuable. I think, you know, the idea that we have obligations to others beyond just our mediate affiliations is important. You know that human diversity is going to be valued, not just tolerated. That's fantastic. Carl Levy, an anarchist scholar who wrote two pieces on cosmopolitanism that a link in the show notes, has argued that anarchism's history offers a third way between the hierarchical globalism of liberal cosmopolitanism, which relies on state driven global governance, and exclusionary nationalism, which weaponizes identity and borders, often in service to the far right, and that third way that anarchism presents, not third way in the sense of fascism. Third way, in the sense of anarchist possibilities, is a kind of federated pluralism, the web of self organized groups that interact freely without a central authority. This version isn't just theoretical. We've seen it in recent history through anti globalization protests, the Occupying movement, the Square movements in Egypt, Spain and beyond and so flowed. They show the potential, not yet fully realized, for diverse place based struggles that remain connected through mutuality and transnational solidarity. We have to avoid this sort of abstract universalism that can be found in cosmopolitan thought. We must incorporate decolonial struggles and crown cosmopolitan practice in the voluntary cooperation of people acted in solidarity across differences. Ultimately, the question isn't whether anarchists should engage a cosmopolitanism, because they always have. The real question is how anarchists can cultivate a cosmopolitanism that is truly liberatory, when the connect struggles without eraise and difference, foster solidarity without enforcing uniformity, and builds a world where cooperation and not domination, defines our relationships. That's what they have for today, or power to all the people.
Speaker 1: It could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website coolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for it could Happen Here listed directly in episode descriptions. Thanks for listening.