Speaker 1: Native Lamb Pod is the production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Home, y'all to this week's mini pod. So we had a great show on our main episode this week with Cherylyn Eiffel, and it was so good that you guys sent in all these questions and comments, we did not get a chance to get to them. So Angela, Andrew and myself were here to try to get to as many as possible. But you know, sometimes you guys ask these questions and you take us down a rabbit hole because your questions are so great or your comments are so insightful. So we're gonna try to get to as many as possible. So let's not waste any more time. Roll us a question, turn.
Speaker 3: Up, Nick Peace, Native Land Family. Daniel Rant, just checking in. Just wanted to say the last episode was super, super dope. It spoke to everything that I'm on with intention, and everything you spoke about in the episode spoke to me as a new thing that I'm on. I wrote a record called on Cold, and so everything you spoke about to me was being on Cold. I would like to know from each of you, what does on cold mean to you?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: And I think we will probably be aligned in our thoughts. I would think, but what does that mean? Angela, Tiffany, Andrew like, what does on cold mean?
Speaker 5: You?
Speaker 6: Guys? I love this because Daniel is truly native Lampid fam. Many of you all know that he wrote our intro music. Daniel, It's always good to see you. He is definitely part of the family because he was like, Hey, y'all, since I'm co hosting the show today, what is on now? I don't know if you're saying on cold or on is on cold?
Speaker 1: Like Cood on cold, So I don't know what that means. Well, because you're not on COLDE got it?
Speaker 6: Definitely not on Code?
Speaker 7: Which show were we talking about? That was that?
Speaker 1: I think because he talked about Landy it could have been that that show when we talked about Landy was the designer, the black designer who we had on talking about where we spend our money. But all of our shows are on Code. I'm adopting it.
Speaker 6: Because you know we about a cold.
Speaker 1: Life, we about that on Code. We say that means?
Speaker 6: Does that mean that he might be saying what you were saying? On the last show tip, which was, you know, there are certain things that should be for us, like we should have our own cold. Like here's on code. I got a perfect one, Andrew. You got to look for this ready, y'all will know watch.
Speaker 1: Yes Egg precisely.
Speaker 6: You don't have to say, Andrew just on code. Yes.
Speaker 7: Yeahbody in the community might not be on code if they're not in.
Speaker 6: The community figured out.
Speaker 1: Right, And if I say something to you, you don't really know what I'm talking about. I'm kind of looking at you. Signway, so I have another one.
Speaker 7: I have another one.
Speaker 1: Okay, give us another.
Speaker 6: One, Andrew. You have to look the problem. Part of the issue is it is Andrew's writing a whole. I don't know what you.
Speaker 1: Doing, Andrew, what are you doing over there?
Speaker 7: I was?
Speaker 4: I was imitating uh, Angela during any normal recording.
Speaker 1: I know Angela, you do, y'all. Angela does the same thing. She always liked that.
Speaker 6: Look at my notes.
Speaker 1: I take you, okay, but you gotta get on cold. You gotta get on cold.
Speaker 6: I have to get on memory first, and then I'll get on cold. Now here's my second encode moment. And then you guys have to play your aids. I guess that's what this is so sad for people who are not watching it. I'll tell you what I'm doing afterwards. Okay, so here's another one. Okay, see if you know what I'm saying, obviously please Okay, So what I did was a side I would like my lips pursed for those Well.
Speaker 1: The first thing she did was like they have a certain type of head nod. But it wasn't a head nod like Top of the morning to you.
Speaker 6: It wasn't. It wasn't a yes, It was a yes, flick that thing up like you do like head.
Speaker 7: Yeah. It's like, yes, that statement is true, but you don't follow it.
Speaker 6: Oh you're talking back to the eyes. This is why I back to the anyway, this is not going to work for true.
Speaker 7: That That was my interpretation of it.
Speaker 4: It was like, yeah, you're sticking your head like uh huh. We all know it's true, but you the last one that should be calling it out because you don't do it, you know, so like the person who's.
Speaker 6: But that was something we we went back to the to the head.
Speaker 1: Not both of them. I think both of them are on cold. You doing something else that's on cold. If we were all together and any one of them got up and started running.
Speaker 7: Oh yes, God started running. If we running, the table's falling.
Speaker 6: It's like, oh.
Speaker 7: Yeah, said got up?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 7: Nobody get up?
Speaker 1: Okay. I have a question for the viewers. What what is on Cold to you guys? And it has to be something that you can You can drop a video if you want, or you can drop it in the comments, because we've been saying that we were going to talk about different phrases and dialects from different geographical regions. And we have a wonderful book that we're going to use to explore that. So stay tuned. That's going to be on the minipop coming up.
Speaker 7: What was his name?
Speaker 6: And Jared Hill is Darren Hill?
Speaker 1: This great book. It's on my coffee table. I love it, So we will that's a future historical.
Speaker 6: Historically black Dared Hill and Treville Anderson.
Speaker 1: I love it. But for so we're gonna that's a future episode. For now. I'm curious what is on Code to you guys? It can be a gesture, It could be something we say, but something that you know, like, oh, okay, we're on COLDE.
Speaker 6: Are we all together? Are we in unison? Are we in alignment? Also, it's on code a geographical slang term, because I really have not heard it before.
Speaker 1: I've never heard that phrase before in my life. We might I think.
Speaker 6: Daniel's something to the left. I think Daniel's in Boston. Daniel, what is that me? And you said I wrote a song? He was like, I know we're gonna be all on the same page, and I'm like, I don't know what page were on, but I'm happy to turn it there.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think part of being on code is knowing what anything means. That can mean being on colde.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's like you hip to it.
Speaker 1: You know, you know what's up right right, what it is. In the last episode when Trav was like go like he just say go off Andrew, we said go off Andrew or turn up Andrew.
Speaker 6: Those mean the same thing. Nick turns Andrew's literal volume up on the microphone, and Tips response to that was like, I don't want everybody to know if it's called impact production. I definitely want Nick to know. And I feel like Nick can have an honorary black code, a black card, especially during Wednesdays.
Speaker 7: Nick.
Speaker 1: During Wednesday's Nick gets a black card, but I mean in general, because we put a lot of stuff out there. But the thing about it is, we're so dope. You know, we are a small percentage of the pocket reation. But where we go, the whole world followed.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 4: We control the culture.
Speaker 1: We took things from Africa, curated them here, and they made their way back to Africa with Black American spin on it. So we really have We drive conversation, we drive culture, and so I think there is some danger to exposing that. But the thing is, we're a bottomless bucket of culture and dopeness and especialists, you know, of fashion and dance and you know the things that we carry with us on the boat.
Speaker 4: So I you're come and made me think about centers, that image of them.
Speaker 7: There is that maybe the first and last time, but it's okay, We're going to survive this.
Speaker 4: Moves dances we were never even taught. We were not in our physical form, weren't taught. But the spirit of the ancestors being so powerful, the movements manifest them through us in a different day time condition. That just shows how connected we are as a people. But more over, how what we do than influences how everybody else moves, Yeah, you know, that's a powerful scene.
Speaker 7: I loved it.
Speaker 6: The thing that I thought about, and I don't want to bypass this tip because I think, in this moment we're in, it is so important you reference. There's some things that you're basically saying, I just want to keep for us. And there is also since Andrew reference Sinners, and we've talked about talked about slavery as recently as our last episode, I think it is important for people to understand, since history is now our responsibility to teach white America, since they want to dismantle the Smithsonian, to help them understand that some of what is on code in our language are the things that preserved our lives, the things that helped us find a pathway to freedom during slavery. Songs and scriptures that were quoted we were using to literally give us the navigatational tools to get to freedom. And so there's something in you that's saying, hey, you know, in an ancestral memory way in my DNA, there's something here that I want to protect. And I don't think that that's inherently wrong at all. I actually think that that's very smart to protect some of those things. But also if there are well meaning allies and they have proved themselves to be well meaning allies, there are some things that they probably need to know so they can help us. Because the things, Yeah, because we know her math on math, there ain't enough of us. Coalition requires we are going to have to build in some ways. But I do hear you on some things should just be protected for the culture.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so maybe this might be one of them.
Speaker 4: I had to text r J so I apologize for the beings because she says this term. There was a letter that came to the house that I was reading and the girl was like you ate crumbs and left no no you?
Speaker 7: And I said, what did you eat in front of these people?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 7: Like why would she write that? And it makes no sense?
Speaker 4: And then I went in to like chastise the writers, saying like we don't teach our kids.
Speaker 7: Any decorum anymore, like what's appropriate in a letter?
Speaker 4: What isn't that? Jay was like, what are you talking about? I was like this young you know, the dance guy. She's like, you ate and left no crumbs? Like that doesn't make sense to me, and you know and whatever. And Jay's like, Andrew, it's a compliment. It's a saying that young people have.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 1: Also, I feel like that's such a disconnect from culture, you know.
Speaker 7: Like why you are in my life?
Speaker 1: How are you so like because you are graduate, You're in Florida around I.
Speaker 7: Can be a graduate of any institution in Steel.
Speaker 1: You live with j though, Like I don't.
Speaker 7: She tells me all the time, why is it that I never follow.
Speaker 6: Old man inside of himself?
Speaker 7: And I'm like, I think, like, I don't know your story, my.
Speaker 6: Dad, and see if he knows what it means.
Speaker 7: I've never heard that term before in my life.
Speaker 6: I want to call I kind of want to call a pop riety. See what he said.
Speaker 1: Let's get to the next of your question. Because we do what we said, we wouldn't.
Speaker 6: Do another view of question.
Speaker 5: Yeah, how you doing a Native Lampard family. My name is Jesse McCoy. I'm a clinical professor of law at Duke University. But before that, I am a proud rattler of Florida A and M where Andrew Gillen was my SGA president. I have a question just about the pathway to politics. We run into a lot of students who either need to be involved in politics, or want to be involved in politics, and I was just wondering if there's an incubator of politicians or former politicians who can advise those students about things like campaign finance and political strategy, because I just have no idea how to even direct them or where to direct them. Shout out to Angela, rob and washing As you want see and then you really did a great job representing for us Tiffany Cross likewise on MSNBC, but even more so now on the show, because I think you're the person that most relates to how I feel in the current moment and wanting to swing on people.
Speaker 1: So Jesse, you ate and left no crumbs with that question? Uh, Andrew, I mean you know when he was asking, I was immediately thinking, do you want to say?
Speaker 6: Do you want to answer Andrew?
Speaker 5: You?
Speaker 7: I'm sorry, I thought you were okay, Andrew.
Speaker 1: Andrew did not eat and left all the crimes.
Speaker 6: All the crimes. So since he left the crumbs, let's eat him up. Tip they gonna let him cook, We're not gonna let him cook.
Speaker 1: Don't let them cook.
Speaker 6: So so there are a couple of things I wanted to acknowledge on the actual subject of the question one. Andrew, you are my forever SGA president too. Even though I didn't go to FAM. When Andrew left FAM, he joined people for the American Way, and I learned something called the Young Elected Officials Network that not only pulled young electeds together and gave them a home to strategize, to think through how to become better leaders, but also really developed an on ramp for them to run for higher office. Sadly, one of the biggest failures of that program is Kirsten Cinema. I digress that he's had many more successes. She also did not eat and left all the crumbs tip. But we also have the CBC Institute's boot Camp, and then Collective Pack runs a program for folks who want to run for office and who also want to run campaigns. So I do want to just tout that there are entities that are doing this work. We could always use more. Mississippi Black Leadership Institute NBLI is one that has pumped out. If you guys go through and look at the state and local elected officials in Mississippi, there are a ton of black folks and that was not by mistake. It was with great intention. So Andrew I always want to give you the opportunity to shout you out for the work that.
Speaker 4: You've done while you and I'm going to talk about the specific program that I founded at People for Underneath, the Young Elected Officials Network that did this campaign training, and I turned away to look on my other computer to research whether or not it still exists, and twenty years later, the Frontline Leaders Academy is still going strong. If y'all remember when we were with Jamal Bryant and he said thank you for the letter of recommendation from.
Speaker 7: My wife Carrie.
Speaker 4: Carrie went through this program, the Frontline Leaders Academy, and at the end of it was the person chosen as the most likely to be the candidate running for office. She adn't run yet, so I'm gonna have to remind her when I see her in Atlanta this weekend when we're.
Speaker 7: Up there y'all, that she was a part of this program.
Speaker 4: But it's an excellent program that trains young people and all people interested in run for office or being part of a campaign apparatus. What it means to be a candidate, campaign manager, finance director, field organizer, communications sists the core competencies of what are required and it is of course housed that people for the American Way Foundation based in d C. And then sorry, update on the message I just said, I told you she said the quote was you ate, and I then later told you it was you ate and left no crumbs. So what I was responding to initially was you.
Speaker 7: Ate and no context. I had no clue what the meant.
Speaker 1: And you probably loses black cart.
Speaker 7: I lose a black cart, but I ain't gonna win no cards for what's in the in the in the social media.
Speaker 1: At you got your black cart, but you losing your own cold card. We got one last question that we have time for, and I want to try to get it in. So let's hear from this viewer.
Speaker 6: What's up.
Speaker 2: This is Craig again and coming out of Brooklyn, just sitting on my stoop enjoying these last days of summer. I'm just thinking about all the things that are happening all around the country, especially in DC, where you know, folks can't sit out on any stoopid like I'm doing right now, just.
Speaker 6: Enjoying life.
Speaker 2: In a moment. And I just want to say, this is just a reminder to find those small moments that bring you joy because things are pretty chaotic right now, and I'm just hoping everybody is taking the time to find joy.
Speaker 6: Love you guys, hopeball as well.
Speaker 3: This is Craig Peace.
Speaker 4: It's just the guy who, after he asked this question, y'all would like he find him a lot of dates from that first Rag was like, I'm coming.
Speaker 7: Back and I'm just gonna sit back on the stop he ate he.
Speaker 1: Ate And he left no crumbs.
Speaker 6: He was I couldn't even see him today. He had a holy spotlight on him. Today.
Speaker 7: We're gonna have him turn around the next time and then make the.
Speaker 1: I do appreciate the messages find those moments of joy. So if you guys, do you have any closing thoughts on what you're doing to find those moments of joy?
Speaker 6: You know, I was when we were on last week. I mentioned that I had a friend who like tragically passed in a car accident, and I think there are these moments where you realize how fleeting life is. You know, there are other moments where my mom, as she goes through chemo, she is constantly assessing like the fullness of her life and whether it is indeed complete. Uh, And you kind of contrast that with people who probably are not expecting to go. And so the reminder is no matter where you find yourself, even if you do think you have tomorrow, especially you know, where as we're like younger and your age, you get older, you think you're in you think your parents are invincible, at least some of us may. But I just I think that the constant reminder is like we can choose joy in the midst of everything that's going on. We can find those pockets and hopefully lean into them. And that is the greatest lesson I've learned from watching my mom and even from losing Teddy last week. So that's what I would say.
Speaker 7: I love that, Andrew, do you have I would say I'm probably increasing in my comfort, probably to a level of discomfort for those around me and all the things I don't know and I don't care that I don't know. You know how sometimes you're like you're not hip to something like we have just had with.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, this is just shade me and Angela. That's not joy.
Speaker 7: It is joy. It is joy. It's joy in the sense that I don't and you don't know a thing and you don't care anymore like a lot of dance at the at the at the at the thing, you know, the who was who?
Speaker 4: What's the name of the organization? And every city that has a party on Saturday night.
Speaker 1: People, I remember that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, day nights, I can't remember.
Speaker 6: It's it's Friday night.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Like the line dance, I don't want to know the newest one and I don't even want to know.
Speaker 6: Come on, Andrew, and.
Speaker 1: That's right, that that was your joy? That was fine? Enjoy that you don't know.
Speaker 7: Fine, yes, I need enjoy that.
Speaker 4: You don't have the pressure of wanting to have to learn it.
Speaker 1: Fine, fair enough moments of joy, I will tell you right now, I feel incredibly so much angst. I mean, DC, it just is right outside my window, just everywhere you know, a Union station is literally like tanks outside. It just looks so ridiculous and unnecessarily so. So as I'm watching us like trans transcend to this police state, it's uh, just I don't know. I I'm in a constant state of unrest. So my moments of joy is just when I can calm down. And how I calm myself down is inhale and then I exhale and however, you need to inhale and exhale. I recommend you do that. I mean breathing exercises for sure. Yes, and I am trying different new types of therapy too. That part, that last part is legit above board.
Speaker 6: Goes high and also is trying the therapy is a very important thing. The great thing.
Speaker 1: You don't go I will I almost exactly exactly. Well, thank you guys for tuning in to this mini pod. If you happen to be in Atlanta, we will be at investment in Atlanta. I mean, you know, you may be hearing this after we've left Atlanta, whenever you decide to listen to Native Land Mini Pod, but we will be headed to the a so we may see you there. But please be sure to tune into these mini pods. You know, we have our main episode that drops on Thursdays. Mini pods drop on Fridays. You can catch Angela solo pod most Tuesdays except on those very precious days that we're very happy to see her get some rest. So thank you guys for tuning in. Please share this, spread the word, get on cold and tell people about Native Land Mini Pods, because that's the part of me and how we how we ate and left no crumbs, and how Andrew didn't cook.
Speaker 6: I want to I want to apologize to y'all because if this is really how I look in the podcast, what Andrew is doing, I'm sorry. I'm not doing that.
Speaker 1: You do look like that all the time.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm so sorry. I'm going to work on it. I really apologize, especially if it's happening, yeah, because i'd be taking those But if it's happening and it's triggered.
Speaker 7: Just that device working away, it's something more important. Conversation is not true.
Speaker 1: It only happens well, viewers, let us know what you all observe.
Speaker 6: Yeah, please, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Let us know what y'all observed. But this is also like, you know, cut up so you don't always see Angel on camera. We all see each other the whole podcast.
Speaker 6: Which is frustrating.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, if I had something shady to say to Andrew, I would, but I'm not as quick as.
Speaker 6: It's so hard being green era.
Speaker 1: All right, on that note, Welcome home, y'all, and we will see you soon.
Speaker 7: Welcome home.
Speaker 1: Native Lampod is a production of iHeart Radio and partnership with Recent Choice Media for more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.