Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club. Cowboys. This is nick shot streaming live on Dallascowboys dot Com and.
Speaker 2: The official Dallas Cowboys at now.
Speaker 1: Here are Bill Jones, Everson Walls, and Nicky Spagnola.
Speaker 2: And here it is It's Giants Week at the Star in Frisco. Bill Jones, along with Mickey Spagnola as Everson Walls is on assignment today.
Speaker 1: He's a Walls, Yes he is.
Speaker 2: He's somewhere. We're not sure where, but anyway, we've got lots to get to. It's Tuesday here at the Star. It's a day off of the players. But you know what, Mickey, it is Friday elsewhere.
Speaker 1: Friday.
Speaker 2: It's Friday in Kansas City and Detroit. Is the NFL season. Tirksa game Thursday night in Kansas City, And if you do the math on that, it's like a It's like a Friday in Kansas City and Detroit. The Lions will be flying to Kansas City tomorrow. We are that close to the real games in the National Football League and I can't wait.
Speaker 1: After we got a pretty good college kickoff.
Speaker 2: Good weekend. The weekend was a good weekend.
Speaker 1: Watched a lot of football and now the NFL takes off.
Speaker 2: Watched a little Dion on Saturday?
Speaker 1: Did you a little Dion or a lot of Dyon?
Speaker 2: I watched Dion's kid, Shador Sanders passed for a school record five hundred and ten yards.
Speaker 1: So if you have a quarterback throwing for five hundred and ten yards on you, why would you rush him with a three man front?
Speaker 2: Oh? Okay, just asking, just asking. That's where we're starting today. I know what.
Speaker 1: I asked my TV that and I didn't get an answer.
Speaker 2: It goes back to when you got the best, the better players on your team, you got a better chance of winning.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It was pretty darn good. It was. It was fun to watch. And uh, you know, tc you put up a great you know. TCU was depleted as obvious from the draft. They had more players drafted this year than in previous years and so they can still have a great season there. But Sunny Dyke's lived by the transfer portal at both s m U and TCU. Well, Dion showed him a thing or two about the transfer portal, did he Well, well, you can, well, you can go to the transfer portal, and it's in your own home. With the quarterback, it helps there. And then you got a Charles Woodson like player on your team, and you've got a running back who looked like Tony dor said out there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and uh it was. And they kept saying that it was. This team played in the National Championship Game last year, this school played in it. That's not the same team. After you just mentioned how many guys they hadn't drafted into the NFL.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, So anyway, that was a great way to cut off, and it was exciting. It keeps getting better and better because now you know, through the Labor Day weekend. I love summer, but I love football more. And and here we go. It all gets started with the NFL slate. You know, it's funny, you know, the high school season around here started two weeks ago. They're going to have three games under their belt before the cow kick it off against the Giants on Sunday night, and the college season will be two games deep by the time the Cowboys start. And and this past Sunday was the last Sunday without the NFL until after Valentine's Day.
Speaker 1: Basically, you're absolutely right, you know, and I was thinking, well, the Cowboys are going to play a night game the kickoff the season, and it's in New York. Well, if anybody watched the US Open tennis last night, that's no piece of cake. It may be one hundred degrees there, but I've never seen two tennis players cramping up more than I did last night watching Center and zev How do you say it's Zeviev?
Speaker 2: I was watching Clemson get beat by Duke.
Speaker 1: I can't no, I but no. It went on till midnight and they didn't finish till one thirty morning.
Speaker 2: Wow. The Cowboys should be well prepared if it's going to be hot any right, humid in the Meadowlands on Sunday night, because it's that they got that here, and it's going to be all week continuing. Well, summer continues.
Speaker 1: Here, but they're probably only going to practice one more time outdoors. I would imagine then Thursday and Friday their indoor. But they were leased outdoors on Monday. There was a practice here. By the way, everybody's talking about Labor Day and everybody's got a holiday. Well, the Cowboys were practicing on Labor.
Speaker 2: Day, and that means you were working on labor.
Speaker 1: That's right, right once again, I didn't have shells on, but they did when they when they worked out on Monday, and it got a little toasty out there before they finished, so they got a little taste of it.
Speaker 2: Bring us up to speed. Then, while we were laying by the pool on Labor Day, what happened here at the Star.
Speaker 1: So the Cowboys had about an hour hour and a half practice. We got to watch the first twenty minutes half hour. You know, they seemed a good pace and everything. Now, one of the things that did happen is Tyler Smith kind of walked off with a little bit of a hamstring irritation tightness, I think they called it. And Jerry Jones said this morning that they were going to get an MRI for precautionary reasons. I see where everybody got headlines that he had a going for an MRI. They left out the precautionary part of it. And Jerry also said that they felt better about his tightness after we assessed it after practice, not as severe enough that should impact him on Sunday. So that's a good thing because the last thing you want to do is once again have to dig into your not much depth on the offensive line right off the bat, all.
Speaker 2: Right, So we might as well dive into that. You know, if you look at one position group on this team that might be that looks good on paper that you might have the biggest concerns about holding up for the entire length of a seventeen game regular season and then hopefully the playoffs. The offensive line would be at the top of the list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and when you start assessing the Boys roster, I think one of your biggest concerns. But I'm guessing the majority of teams in the NFL have the same thing. Depth on the offensive line. He just don't have it. Teams don't have it. It's hard to find offensive linemen these days. And if you got five good ones, that's great, you might have a sixth, but getting to seven, eight and nine sometimes is very, very difficult at that offensive line position.
Speaker 2: And speaking of the offensive line, the other news that has happened here in the last forty eight hours and especially since we last talked to you last week, Terrence Steele has a five year contract extension nearly eighty seven million dollars fifty million guaranteed. And what a great story that is for the undrafted right tackle out of Texas Tech who now is being compensated with the top right tackles in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and you know what he played at that level. I think the last year for sure until the ACL injuries. And if you think about it, one of the big questions, and this tells you how important Terrence Steele was to this offensive line. The big question was would he be ready to start the season after suffering that torn ACL the first week in December, and he's absolutely ready to go. And the Cowboys had been wanting to work on that contract. He was a restricted free agent this year. The Cowboys qualified him at four point three million, and I always thought that they would like to start the extension, an extension this year or a new contract this year, and they finally got it done. And the key number there, Bill, you just mentioned it, it's the fifty million guaranteed. You know, you can say, well, it's eighty six as much as ninety one, but the guarantee is what is in. So you've got basically ten million dollars a year guaranteed over the five years and that's significant. And what a good story of a guy that was an undrafted rookie free agent in twenty twenty, and he made himself. I think Jerry called it a testament to him developing himself over the years and not only developing himself, but getting back ready to play com September tenth.
Speaker 2: And I mentioned that he's now being compensated like the top right tackles in the league. Lane Johnson's at the top of the list. He averages. I think his contract value is around twenty million dollars a year. But when you look at this past off season and the money that right tackles were getting in free agency, Mike mcclinchy, former first round number nine overall pick of San Francisco five years ago, he got virtually the same contract a ten and Steel got with the Denver Broncos. It was basically a little over fifty million dollars guaranteed. And to put it in that ballpark, Okay, mclenche comes into the league, he was being paid at the top of what tackles get paid in the league as rookies coming in. Well, Terrence Steele was at the bottom as an undrafted guy. Well, now Terrence Steele has made up ground in a hurry, and especially less than nine months after his knee surgery, right, And it wasn't just ACL surgery. He had damage to other ligaments, the whole alphabet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and ACL M MCL, and.
Speaker 2: Then I can't ACL. And I thought, even before this contract was signed, when I'd look at what happened over the course of training camp in Oxnard and the preseason, perhaps the most significant thing that happened was that Terrence Steele, well, Antony Pollard, but Terrence Steele right, was healthy and improved it during ol of KMP.
Speaker 1: I mean, don't you think those were the two big question marks going in the training ramp?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Those guys be ready, and they are. And now the Cowboys right side of that offensive line, it's a pretty expensive right side if you consider he's flying up.
Speaker 2: That guy his money guaranteed a few weeks ago and now, and.
Speaker 1: I think his guarantee ended up being two years, thirty six million total, so eighteen million a year. So yeah, now maybe they can start working on beattish because people forget he went to the Pro Bowl last year, so his contract is up, and it is he's in his last year. Everybody talks about, well CD is next, and very well could be. But again everybody goes, well, how does this work out? It's like, whoever wants to sign, whoever wants to get it done, they can get it done. They're offering a matter of look at, let's just.
Speaker 2: Review real quick. Yes, what they've done as far as a contract extension since the start training camp. And it started with Trayvon Diggs and his five year extension, and it continued with Malie Hooker got basically the same deal that Donovan Wilson got in the off season, so they got two of their safeties locked up for the next three years. And then it continues with Zach Martin after his holdout and they got him taken care of. And now Terrence Steele and.
Speaker 1: I think, what what you need to consider? It's like, oh, to have enough money for this, this, and this. The salary CAP's going to go up significantly next year when the TV new TV contract money kicks in. It may go up as much as twenty five thirty million dollars. So that you get it done now and you're able to start spreading it out looking towards the future. You mentioned, you know, they got to get CD LAMB done at some point. Dak Prescott's not going to count sixty million against the cap next year, fifty nine point whatever. You know, that'll get done. So yeah, now it's just a matter of you know, we talked about, well what happens like who's your backup offensive guard on this team? And I think that, you know, from what I can tell looking at practice yesterday, one of the guys that was working at backup left guard was Awesome Richards, the fifth round draft choice. Now he's been working tackle guard. The other guy that has some experience there is Chuma Doga. They've got him as a backup tackle after getting him on the fifty three man roster. So we'll see where that one goes, you know, as quiet and maybe we didn't make enough of it. They had been working Josh Ball a lot at guard and was he great, No, But was he serviceable as a backup yes? And then he has the a hip injury and they lose him for the season and for the season, and that I think really really hurts. The other guy as a backup, TJ. Bass. They like him, but again he's making a jump you know, from was it Oregon, yes, yes, Oregon right to the NFL and he didn't get drafted, so got to keep an eye on that. And then they picked up a guy on the practice squad, a center guard. The Giants let go Sean Harlowe and again.
Speaker 2: And he started three games in Arizona last year.
Speaker 1: Right, So he's I think he started eight games of the thirty three he's played in the league. He was a fourth round pick of Atlanta at one point. But he's not very big. Bill two eighty five, that's nineteen ninety size.
Speaker 2: I think that might be when he came out of college. Oh okay, I saw another number of six four, three oh three. Got him? You got get get him up over three bills.
Speaker 1: Let's see what we got here. Practice squad they don't have it none.
Speaker 2: But I've seen I've seen the two eighty five and I've seen the three oh three on him. But really, when you look at it, if the Cowboys get to that point and he's a practice squad guy, so he could be eligible to be called up week to week. If they were looking for a more veteran guy early in the season, uh, to be that kind of that swing inside guy. Uh, then he could be he could be the guy that they call up.
Speaker 1: And they also work brock Hoffman, who's kind of the backup center now at guard and so you got three call ups there, three call ups, you know, and you might just kind of see how that all works out, have it because you're gonna have to call somebody up to be the backup center, right, So that'll be an interesting one to watch how many times you can use that call up, because that's what they're doing with CJ. Goodwin also for special teams, knowing he's got three call ups and you're thinking maybe week four a roster spot and.
Speaker 2: You can do a couple of a couple of call ups a week, right, So you could be looking at well, for sure you'll have CJ. Goodwin one of the call ups, and.
Speaker 1: Then you'll probably an offensive maybe Harlow because of his experience, but he had many or as long. Right.
Speaker 2: So right, all right, So we're just getting started on this edition of Mix Shoans. We got so much more to cover when we come back.
Speaker 5: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Have they snapped the press down? Who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 1: He escapes left. He'll look for a perch down.
Speaker 5: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands, says twenty eleven. They've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 4: Prescot's gonna run this, run it up the middle any stores.
Speaker 5: Whether you're now to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 5: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 3: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for. Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of cool PETSI finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 2: That's what I like.
Speaker 6: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 7: Cowboys Football and Miller Lyte. What a pairing can cracks a kickoff tailgates going waypast postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday morning Swagger, Brisket and the Smoker. Miller Lyte and the two America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Lyte the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football Taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly. Twenty twenty three Miller Brown Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 1: To Mixed Shots, Kpost Roofing and Waterproofing, the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 2: All right, we continue here on Mixed Shots on a Tuesday. The team will get back together on Wednesday, and that is when they will officially start giants this week. But really, Mickey, they've been working on the giants for a while now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, probably somewhat in training camp at some point, and you know the coaches have been so yeah, this is nothing new that I don't know that the Giants changed dramatically from last year, same quarterback, same running back.
Speaker 2: They changed dramatically at tight end with Waller, yes, and they've added some others at wide. Do you receive a rookie jal And Hyatt and Paris Campbell a veteran signed in free agency. But I will get more into the Giants as the week goes on. Anything else that you heard from Jerry on the radio today that that was of interest that we should point out.
Speaker 1: You know, one of the things, well, one thing he said about Dak Prescott, because of course they wanted to know about his contract and can you handle that much against the salary cap? He said, we expect Dak to be with us a long time. So once again we'll reiterate that the Cowboys did not trade for Trey Lance to be a threat to Dak Prescott's going forward with the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: You did get a chance to see Trey Lance on the practice field since we last convened the last Thursday.
Speaker 1: So they are working with him. So I saw it on Monday, and I also saw it on Thursday with his kind of three step drop turn, get your arm up and throw. So working on some mechanics fundamentals. Yeah, absolutely. And the good thing about him, well, the team was off on Friday, but I saw he was here. So I think he and Scott Tolzine's going to be his next best friend, because I think they ever told Scott cold Zine, this is your project right here.
Speaker 2: The new quarterbacks Doug Smiers with Kellen Moore now with the Chargers, right.
Speaker 1: So, Uh, and UH got a chance when the locker room opened on Thursday, Uh, to just kind of chit chat with Trey Lance, not like an interview. There was a couple of us there. And I'll tell you what, Uh just kind of impressed with how he handles himself. Boy, he's got a big old bicep by the way, okay. Uh and if you watch him throw, I mean he's got an arm. Now, it's just a matter of playing football, as we talked about uh previously, you know. And for him getting settled in here, uh, you know, it's it's all of a sudden you get traded and you zoom here right away. Uh And I mean zoom on a plane. Okay, and uh uh. But I just kind of liked his nature and you know, his thoughts about knowing that he's to play football, that he hasn't played that much. So I'll be interesting to see where this goes from. You know.
Speaker 2: It's interesting. We've talked before about Trey Lance and the number of passes he attempted even at North Dakota State, which was in the three hundred range in his one year sixteen starts at North Dakota State when they won the national championship. I was looking at Bryce Young. I was watching some of him last night. I had to make my picks on you know, predictions on who's going to be the offensive Rookie of the year, defensive Rookie of the year, Defensive Player of the Year, MVP, all that stuff. So I just watched Bryce Young in some preseason games. I really like what I see from him as far as his ability to process quickly and so forth, which is a huge factor in making a transition from college to the NFL. But I just looked up his number of games, number of passes he threw in college. At the highest level of college football, Alabama, he had nine and forty nine pass attempts in two years as a starting quarterback at Alabama twenty seven games. And so I mean that's three times as many pass attempts. And there's a whole bunch of other quarterbacks coming into the league who have upwards of twelve hundred pass attempts in their college career. In fact, dak Prescott is probably up near that level in his three years as a starter at Mississippi State. You're just behind. And Trey Lance came into the league, as we talked about, he was drafted at age twenty, didn't turn twenty one until May of that year. And it's a lot to ask of him to be able coming out of that college atmosphere, that college offense, to make the transition to the NFL seamlessly.
Speaker 1: And I'll say it one more time. He only started one year in high school. He redshirted his first year at North Dakota State, started his second year third year. So covid played one game and turned pro and turn pro. And so since high school, now think about this, since high school, he has thrown in competitive games four hundred and twenty passes. Four hundred and twenty. That is not enough. Dack through four to sixty five is rookie year after starting or playing three years at Mississippi State at.
Speaker 2: Age twenty three, which is what Trey Lance is now right now.
Speaker 1: So there's a developmental part that has to take place, and I think the Cowboys understand that and they're willing to. You know, it's almo to like taking a doing a redo on a house, you know, and you're hoping that you can upgrade it and then flip it at the end, if that's what it means, or have a backup court, quality, backup quarterback down the line.
Speaker 2: And I have another preseason prediction right now. That's the last time we'll talk about Trey Lance for a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, Or that's the way Jerry wants, that's the way he put it out. One other thing from practice on on on Monday, Uh, kind of an injury update. Uh, Jordan Lewis did practice, but again they were in shells, helmets and shells. Uh. And my understanding is, you know, he was gonna be limited in practice and he's probably limited the first week or two. And again, knowing the Cowboys and how they treat guys coming off injuries like that, he needs to be in pads for a couple of weeks before I think they they put him in a game. Same thing with Donovan Wilson. He's not quite ready yet. Uh and again he probably needs a ramp up. He hasn't played, you know, any football since that first padded practice in training camp, So we keep an eye on that. Sam Williams a little bit of a foot injury tow that was a question mark. They're going to see where that goes. But my understanding is a dooga Tuma adoga who had missed quite a bit of time with the hyper extended knee causing a bone bruise, should be good to go for at least practice and then we'll see if he's ready for the season opener. So those are some of the guys that they're keeping an eye on from an injury standpoint.
Speaker 2: Would you like to know on my little predictions, who I selected as the Defensive Player of the Year and the National Football League this year will be?
Speaker 1: I think this is going to be a shock.
Speaker 2: It's the same guy who just tweeted seven minutes ago. I wish the Scooby Doo gummy snacks go back to.
Speaker 1: Original two thousand version. This new version don't hit the same and that would be Michael Parsons.
Speaker 2: Well, he hits the save.
Speaker 1: Is he twenty three?
Speaker 2: Yet? Actually we share the same birthday, May twenty sixth Yeah.
Speaker 1: Years a little different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is. I think. Let's see, Micah was twenty.
Speaker 1: Four, twenty four, Yeah, but he just turned twenty four in May.
Speaker 2: Yeah, May twenty six.
Speaker 1: Yeah, newly minted twenty four, So the original two thousand version.
Speaker 2: That means he was one year old when the Scooby Doo gummy snacks came out, and I guess as.
Speaker 1: A one year old he was probably eating there.
Speaker 2: You like my pick, Michah Parsons.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's a good going out on I.
Speaker 2: Think he was my pick last year too. But I do think that, uh, And we've talked about it a lot since it started training camp. But you just see where Micah is in his career, what he did in the off season, the way he was coming off the edge in training camp practices. I think he is poised to have a huge year.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely. And you know we've talked about this, but he ruined many offensive practices during training camp because they just couldn't block them. Uh. And you hope that wasn't a reflection on the Cowboys tackle situation because Uh, he was he was revved up.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: And one thing that I did kind of find out is that, you know, that was the other position I was worried about depth was linebacker. After Overshawn got hurt. Uh, they didn't get Jabril Cox back onto the practice squad. What were they going to do there if one of the starters, because they play so much two linebacker in a big safety Uh with Demon Clark and Leyton vander ash you know what happens to one of those guys get hurt. Well, Michael Parsons is your next linebacker. And I was told that they may use him a little bit more at linebacker this year than they previously have. Now they're gonna they're gonna pass rush him, They're gonna use them all over the place.
Speaker 2: But and they were they were thinking that even before the Overshown injury. Yeah, would imagine, because you can't anticipate unless there was an injury or whatever. I mean, you were preparing Overshown in case there was an injury. But if everybody stays healthy, Overshown was going to be a special teams guy and maybe you figure out defense. Yeah right, Yeah, in some sort of sub package as he as he learns the defense.
Speaker 1: And so the other thing to help the depth at linebacker is the big safeties that they kept, Marquise Bell and Janier Thomas. Those guys certainly can take some of the pressure off in passing situations. But I'm looking forward to see Micah Parsons all over the defensive formation this year.
Speaker 2: Did you get a chance to see Noah Benigany out on the practice field?
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they didn't. It wasn't a real, real highly competitive one. Got to listen to him, and he was another guy that talked about came out at an early age and really didn't understand what it meant to be in the NFL. And he feels like he's matured now. So again, you know you were gonna cut Calvin Joseph. They were gonna cut him, No Noah, and uh, I didn't want to trip over it. And and so okay, you give a guy a new each guy a new chance in a new atmosphere and kind of see how it works out. But they needed another guy with experience on the outside because the only really other corner, you know, until they get Lewis back and he's inside, would be Eric Scott, the rookie sixth round pick Nashwan Wright is still banged up and and he ended up on on injured reserve, right or did he? Yeah? He did? Uh, So they needed another guy on the outside.
Speaker 2: Okay, second Noah Igbanigany You talk about how young he was when he came into the league. Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen anyone now. Tyron is close. I guess he was drafted first round draft pick in twenty twenty. He turned twenty on November twenty seventh of twenty nineteen, so he was he was less than twenty and a half years and tyroing his birthday's in December, right, and he would, So this he's actually younger than Tyron Smith was when he was.
Speaker 1: Drafted, and we thought he was young, right, And.
Speaker 2: So Igbinnigindy turns twenty four in November. He's he's still very young. And so that's another reason why you go ahead and take a Yeah, take a fire on him. See what he's what you got this year, and then he might be a guy you want to resign in the offseason he becomes a free agent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And they certainly probably wouldn't unless he becomes a star pick up his fifty year.
Speaker 2: But that's an already decision was made.
Speaker 1: That was made by they didn't that's right, that's right. So basically it's almost a free look to see a guy on a minimum salary, and.
Speaker 2: They needed and with Nashawan Wright's injury, they needed a guy at outside corner type body.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, absolutely, and and so you know, and and so Nashawan Wright's gonna miss the first he has to miss the first four games. Uh. And then they've used Macwamu some outside the safety, but I think you wanted more of a true cornerback to be able to play that spot. So it's not all about what they think of a guy as putting together your roster at spots where you need guys to fill in.
Speaker 2: And you did see Anthony Brown of Steelers Steelers practice squad Anthony Brown, and.
Speaker 1: That gives him an opportunity to go there and see how far he's recovered from the Achilles. You know, the Cowboys were going to keep.
Speaker 2: An eye on them, and they can still keep it. And they still can, right, I mean, he's still a free agent. He's on a practice squad, But I mean, you don't even with the practice squad guy. You don't even have to go through their team. You could just go straight to the player. So if the Cowboys had an injury at cornerback, they could go right to Anthony Brown and say and so it's a really a good thing. This was what I thought of when he signed with Pittsburgh. That's a good thing as a for the Cowboys to have in their hip pocket that he's working out with the team and somebody else, Yeah, exactly, and then he's he's on your short list if you needed something, because.
Speaker 1: They know all they need to know exactly him. Right. The other guy I saw got picked up was the Rams signed Brett Maher after he got released by Denver because Will Lutts was available for Sean Payton.
Speaker 2: But a good thing for Brett Maher. The way it looks with the Rams team this year, and especially Cooper cup But has a hamstring issue, I don't think there will be a lot of extra points attempted by the Rams this year. All right, that's cruel. Continue with more mix shots. And that was a mix shot right there, maybe mixed gut.
Speaker 1: Why shouldn't come up with that?
Speaker 6: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 7: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite. What a pairing can cracks a kickoff tailgates going way past postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday mornings Swag Risky in the Smoker, Miller Lte and the Cluck, America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Lite, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys football tastes like Miller Time. Celebrate Responsibly twenty twenty three, Miliberal Company, Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 5: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: And they snapped the fresh guy who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 2: He escaped flapped.
Speaker 5: He'll look for a French style just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 1: Press Scott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 5: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered. What are you waiting for? Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 3: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio, sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection. That's what we're looking for. Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping of school Pepsi.
Speaker 2: Finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 1: That's what I like to mixed shots. Experience the feeling of gain day every day at Miller Lighthouse at the Star, now open just steps from the Tostida Championship Plaza. Miller Lighthouse features a cooler full of grab and go beverages and snacks, tailgate games, a red charging lounge, Dallas Cowboys photo op, and complimentary concierge services. For more info, visit Thestaranfrisco dot com slash Miller Lighthoucks.
Speaker 2: And this is mix shots brought to you by Light.
Speaker 1: Maybe we should do it at the Miller Lighthouse.
Speaker 2: It's an idea.
Speaker 1: I don't know. This is pretty nice.
Speaker 2: It is. We're inside SWBC podcast studio. And by the way, there will be regulars now noon every weekday, right and the Cowboys podcast text line, Yeah, there you go eight one seven two nine oh three two nine eight. We'll get that operational as well. And the phone line eight eight eight eight five five to seven. You want to start taking phone calls tomorrow?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can do that.
Speaker 2: Okay, we could have taken a phone call from ever Sin today, but you.
Speaker 1: Know we might we might. I might have somebody to help us with the phoneage.
Speaker 2: What do you mean by that, like you know, someone to answer the phone calls.
Speaker 1: Or the text line? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh really yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just stay tuned.
Speaker 2: Is there an intern not.
Speaker 5: Not?
Speaker 1: Quite in turn intern ish.
Speaker 2: Okay, but drop Phillips coming back?
Speaker 1: Yeah right, gosh, God bless Rob.
Speaker 2: All right, you got your legal pad full of stuff there, So give me something, Give me a mix shot, give me something.
Speaker 1: How about what about this offense?
Speaker 2: Yep?
Speaker 1: What you think needs to happen to qualify being as good or better than they were last year? And I think people forget because of the San Francisco playoff game how good they were offensively last year.
Speaker 2: Well, obviously aside from the offensive line. Staying healthy right Brandon Cooks is a huge addition. And I think there is another thing that is going to factor into because when you look at the San Francisco game last year, once Pauler went down with the injury, what explosive players did they have to go to the right game? It was Ceedee Lamb basically that was it.
Speaker 1: And a guy that came off as couch to help him, a y.
Speaker 2: Hill who hadn't been here very long.
Speaker 1: And you can actually add Michael gallup to that addition because he looks like.
Speaker 2: Now it's matter what he was seven months ago. The other guy I will add to it is ducevawn In Cavante Turpin. You can add to it too. He's going to be used more, I think on offense. I mean barely had any snaps last year on offense. Ducevaan, I think is going to I said this in my Little Prediction show, I have a prediction that the rookie who will have the top merchandise sales in the National Football League this year just might be number forty two for the Dallas Cowboys, doucevan Well.
Speaker 1: I think what I think there's a plan for him. Yeah, there is. And I think what Bill's suggesting is this offense has speed to burn right now because Cooks can run, CD can run, Pollard can run, Turpin can run, and Deuce Vaughan can run. And I think that sets a combination there. And there was a day in training camp practice where they went five wide and I don't even remember if there was a tight end on the field, but they had the three wide receivers, they had Pollard and Deuce on the field at the same time, and I think one of the wide receivers was Turpin. So now who you Dublin, Because Cooks is going to be a nightmare for some of these defenses going forward. And that's a lot of speed that this offense hasn't had in quite some time.
Speaker 2: And I like Jay Ferguson and Peyton Endershot as receiving tight ends too.
Speaker 1: And Scoonmaker's coming on UH and watching college football, I saw some this this one play that got used over and over again where all the motion goes to the right and they leak out the running back to the left, and it seemed like inevitably the linebackers forgot to cover the running back.
Speaker 2: Where you get you get the linebacker isolated on the running back, which works really well when you're running back. Is Dylan Edwards the freshman for.
Speaker 8: UH Colorado or do you think you might have adjusted to that? Like they rent it over and over again, right, And then I saw it in other games where all the motion goes to the right and the running back goes to the left and they forgot about.
Speaker 2: Them well, and you can really feel it in college. But even now with the NFL there's only a certain amount of time and due to the Collective Barting Agreement, there was only eleven hours during of work time during camp and during the season. You can't cover everything, so you can you can scheme mismatches.
Speaker 1: Right and think about if that running back going against the grain is Deuce Vaughan and they get him out in the open field, or even Tony Pollard. You know, you might not see Deuce leak out to the left. Now. I think people have more of awareness of Pollard, but not Deuce or Turpin. I just think they've got some guys that can create serious mismatches on offense. And you have to remember, you know, other than the first game of the year and the last game of the year, this team was awfully good with Dak Prescott at quarterback, despite the number of interceptions those ten games after he returned, when they averaged thirty five points a game. You know, okay, maybe you don't do that, but it's a different type of offense where maybe you consume the ball a little bit more, but you're still scoring points.
Speaker 2: Would you like an update from the tennis world?
Speaker 1: Yes, do we have a match already?
Speaker 2: Coko golf. She wins advances to her first ever US Open semifinals.
Speaker 1: She beat.
Speaker 2: First American team to reach the semifinals since Serena in two thousand and one, just nineteen years old.
Speaker 1: I forgot who she was playing and I never knew.
Speaker 2: So and as wait last couple of minutes here of mixed shots. Are you watch any baseball yesterday?
Speaker 1: I listened to it. I just I'd listened to it outside, and I wanted to drown myself.
Speaker 2: Rangers have waited seven years to play meaningful games in September, and they've got a very meaningful series going on at the ballpark against the Houston Astros. And they had a nothing lead to start that game. Correy Seeger hits a homer's first bat hit another home run to give him the lead again in the fourth inning in the bull ten three thirteen to six loss.
Speaker 1: So that was another question I had for the TV that I get an answer. Why in the hell did they bring in Spores?
Speaker 4: Why he's been awful and they left him in there until he gave up six runs they were trying to get by.
Speaker 2: Ah, here's their problem? Is there? In fact? You know, they acquired eraldis Chapman, who's thirty five years old, and then they had to use him four out of five days last week. They don't have enough depth in their bullpen. It's like an offensive line that doesn't have enough depth, and there's leakage all over the place. So six runs scored, then they had to keep spores in the game because they didn't want to use once they fell behind, but three or four runs, they didn't want to use up any more of their bullpen because they got Nathan Evaldi coming back tonight to pitch. And just like you're trying to ramp up a Jordan Lewis or someone coming off an injury, Nathan Evaldi's not going to be able to go more than three or four innings tonight.
Speaker 1: They got if he goes five, that's great, right. The same thing happened with the.
Speaker 2: They're sitting there, they're a game back, and they're only a game game back of the Astros and the Mariners, And you got Nathan Valdi versus from Brevaldez tonight, and then tomorrow night you got Sures versus Verlander.
Speaker 1: Is a night It is a night game, yes on Wednesday?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Well, and if the Rangers lose these two, that's they won't be mentioned again on mix shots.
Speaker 1: The last time he pitched, they gave them seven innings, right, and that was good, right, or six whatever it was, and then the bullpen blew it.
Speaker 2: If the Rangers lose the next two, there'll be three games out and it'll feel like it's thirteen games out.
Speaker 1: It's just depressing.
Speaker 2: And where they were a month ago, two months ago, it looked like they were going to be runaway winners in the West.
Speaker 1: It's uh, yep.
Speaker 2: You gotta have guys who can throw, just like in the NFL, you have to have guys who can throw the football. You gotta have guys who can throw a baseball.
Speaker 1: And you gotta have an offensive line.
Speaker 2: All right. So that does it for this edition of Mixed Shots, we dive into those New York Giants when the Cowboys get back to work on Wednesday. In the meantime, make it a great Tuesday.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.