Speaker 1: At the end of the last episode, a source told us about a guy named Mike allegedly at a dance with Dana and a sinking feeling she had that Mike was going to do something very bad to Dana. And while you can't spend much time in the world of true crime without learning that you should definitely listen to your gut. A sinking feeling is not evidence of wrongdoing, and it means nothing in the scope of Dana's murder investigation. At best, it's hearsay. If my source would have stopped there, however, we could write off the information as coming from an over excited teenager wanting to be caught up in the drama of a local murder. But she didn't. Who told you his name was Mike.
Speaker 2: Just some other people that kind of knew her, that were a little bit younger than me, that were more of her age. They told me because I had been telling him to watch out for this guy, that something's wrong. And then I think it was a guy that knew and Mike he said that, uh yeah, he said, she she is missing. You know, some guy named Mike was with her that night. And then I, you know, asked him, well, what did he look like And then they told me I said, yeah, that's the guy. I think he was going to kill her. And then next thing I know, and I said, well, they found her. And they found her a few miles from that wonderland cave in Bella Vista.
Speaker 1: My source wound up talking to a few other friends from Bella Vista voicing her concerns about Dana and that night she supposedly saw her. And I need to point out there was more than one person of interest the bcs SO looked at named Mike, and Mike McMillan told me I worked at the cave, but not until years after Dana went missing, when I turned twenty one. No way, I was there that night.
Speaker 2: So they said, well, they hang out at the hill. What's that And they said it's up there at Bella Vista. They said, you go up there and you go past that grocery store about two or three miles and then there'll be a little dirt road off to the left right before you go up a hill. So I drove out there and I seen this little road. It's like a Friday or Saturday night because that's where they said people her age and then kids from grabbing hung out. So I drove out there. I guess they partied out there. It was like an open field and there were four people out there. There was three guys and another girl. And I get out of the car and it's that same guy Mike again, this other guy that I knew that was a little a little younger than me, Diana's ages, and then this kind of longheaded blondish girl. And I said, oh, I said, do y'all know Dana Stidham. Didn't she go missing around here somewhere? Those guys didn't say that that they were drinking beer, you know, out of cans. She says, yeah, I'll tell you what. You better leave here right now, because if you don't, she says, the same thing's going to happen to you.
Speaker 1: I asked my source the name of the girl on the hill as we'll call her. As it turns out, she's someone Dana knew very well and was seen by several witnesses with Dana that night she disappeared. Unfortunately, I can't interview her. She died some time ago. After our conversation, I spoke to a detective and related this information. The detective knows this source how she can ramble, and how tempted I might be to write off what she says as hyperbolic nonsense. But the detective stressed to me, quote, don't discount what she tells you. After that warning from the girl on the hill, my source became unsettled.
Speaker 2: And I went and got in my car and left. I was like, I got to get out of here, because I don't know what they're going to do, you know. And I went and told a few more people about it, and they just said, well, the guy that was with Dana that night, he's friends with some dirty cops, so you don't want to get involved in it because they might do something to you. So about fifteen years ago, I knew a die work the Shriff's office that I talked to a little bit about it.
Speaker 1: I verified that she had told others about this. What she relayed to me next is the mo most disturbing part of her account. And you'll hear a name bleeped up. It's the name of a police officer.
Speaker 2: What I understand is that Dana went out to man cave in Bella Vista that night. The men decided they were going to trade off girl friends, and they was going to have a sex party, and that they got ended up getting in a fight and a lover's quarrel broke out, and that that Stidham girl got cut and that told him to put her in his car or his truck, take her and bury her.
Speaker 1: Previously on Paper Ghosts, Yes.
Speaker 3: It was a young guy close to his age of the policeman and he really felt like he may have done it.
Speaker 4: You don't have an intact body, but they found there was a knit on the collarbone that they felt like was from a knife. Now, whether she was stabbed, you know, in the neck.
Speaker 2: Something in my mind told me that this guy is fixing to kill this girl. Oh my god, this is some kind of a murder.
Speaker 1: My name is em William Phelps. I'm an investigative journalist and author of more than forty true crime books. This is season four of Paper Ghosts.
Speaker 5: The Ozarks.
Speaker 1: Cold case work for me has always been about gathering as much information as I can without judging it or allowing any bias to seep in. I collect the data, do some fact and see what shakes out. And before I decide on a line of inquiry, I like to know as much about a case as possible. Far beyond the public record, so I kept calling people and reviewing all the documentation, which, let me tell you, amounts to a mountain of police interviews, witness statements, official reports, and various other documents associated with the case, some thirty odd years old. All these sex party people, my source mentions that crowd Dana hung around well for maybe obvious reasons, none of them wanted to speak to me about what they knew. Make of that what you will. I asked Dana's mother, Georgia Stidham, about the now deceased girl on the hill. I've bleeped out her name, but that's who we're referring to in this exchange. And it's clear that Georgia remembers her very well.
Speaker 6: And did she ever mention or did you ever meet up?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 8: And you do not want me to tell you what I think of Tell me I think the bitch had a lot to do with it, and that a bitch is exactly what she was. She came in and told me that she was only nineteen and she was working with Dana down there at the store, and now she was still in school and everything. But she had one son that lived with her mom and dad. And she was lying all the way through. She was married and she had the one son. That was the only truth then.
Speaker 6: It So what kind of person was she? Was she a drug at it?
Speaker 8: Was a bitch.
Speaker 6: I got that she was a bitch.
Speaker 9: She was.
Speaker 8: She was smart mouthed, and she wanted to be a big and doing things, I guess, and she couldn't quite carry it off.
Speaker 6: Was she into drugs? Dope that sort of thing? Yes, what kind of drugs?
Speaker 8: All kinds from what I've understood.
Speaker 6: Do you think she was dealing drugs too?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 8: I know she was dealing. Dana had told.
Speaker 1: Me that the Girl on the Hill, along with two other girls Dana knew, were said to be muling drugs from Texas into Arkansas, information I found in a police report and an interview with her. In my experience, at this level of drug dealing, transporting quantities of dope over state lines a federal offense which can get you decades in prison, the stakes become very high. Could Dana have seen something she wasn't supposed to and.
Speaker 8: She'd lie in line, lie just to get Diana out. Diana was on her writer, her house.
Speaker 6: And you're talking about when that night.
Speaker 1: I ended up verifying this with three other sources. Next, I needed to understand what Georgia thought about Mike McMillan. Detectives Danny Varner and Mike Sidoriac would not let go of Mike. Detective Sidoriac had told the reporter quote, we want to show that our victim was in McMillan's vehicle, referring to that hair found in Mike's truck, which, along with one of Dana's hares and George's DNA, had been submitted for testing. If you recall, in a previous episode, the BCSO was focused on the idea that if Mike McMillan had stolen Dana's grave marker, then that behavior somehow spoke to his guilt. So when you heard about Mike McMillan making the grave marker from your daughter's grave, what was your first thought?
Speaker 7: That he was a little chicken shit?
Speaker 6: Why chicken shit?
Speaker 8: He went down there and he took something from a little dead girl, and I didn't like it a little thing anyway. I don't like Mike McMillan, and I can't stand his parents.
Speaker 6: Why do you think he did it?
Speaker 8: Because he's chicken shit? And that's just the truth of it. He thought it might him look big.
Speaker 1: If Mike McMillan had been involved in Dana's murder. I think the last thing the guy would want to do is steal the marker from her grave. If he was feeling nostalgic or upset, or, as Georgia said, wanted to show off, well, that would make more sense to me. Law enforcement seemed to be taking advantage of this situation in order to keep someone in their crosshairs, and that person was Mike. Still, they weren't the only ones who thought Mike knew war than he was saying.
Speaker 6: Did you ever consider him a suspect?
Speaker 8: Yes, I still think you knew who it was for a deadder and everything else, and I probably always will.
Speaker 1: When new information from a case comes in, I compare it to what I've learned up until that point. A new thread can pop out of nowhere and things can start to make sense or not. Sidoriak and Varner would dialed into Mike McMillan, but they also continued interviewing scores of other people. Mike eventually married and moved far away from Bella Vista. Here's his ex wife who we met in the last episode and so when you guys, you know, as the time went on, did law enforcement ever contact him again?
Speaker 3: Yes, they actually came and interviewed me first.
Speaker 10: They took him.
Speaker 3: They had him for like six or eight hours, showed in pictures, you know, the hole graphic how they do it, and he was pretty shaken up after that because it's not something you want to see. So little background. My step dad was a chief of police in the town where we lived, so I grew up around law enforcement and all that. They showed up at my work, two detectives and asked to speak to me. They asked me if Mike had any kind of personal possessions at the house that had like pictures of ex girlfriends and things like that, and I'm like, well, yeah, I mean everybody kind of has something like that from high school that you kept your notes in or your little momentos. And they were like, oh, well, have you ever seen this perse and this, And I'm like no, And they asked if they could take it, and I was young and naive and I told him yes. So they went to my house and got that box. They interviewed Mike shortly.
Speaker 6: After that, and he was shaken up about them coming again.
Speaker 3: Was just playing these pictures that they said Ordina out in front of him. It would shake anybody yet, but he's like, I didn't do it. I don't know if it did it.
Speaker 1: You know, I was able to obtain the recording of this marathon interview. Detective Danny Varner begins.
Speaker 11: She shouldn't hear about the skeletal The folks still don't know, but got there do.
Speaker 1: The audio in that previous clip has degraded over time, but Detective Varner says, little old skeletal remains and that's it. Her folks still don't know. Well, but God does, don't he And Mike McMillan responds, Yeah, he does. That's what I am counting on. Werner then used a carefully chosen tactic by trying to align Mike with the harshest criminals, strategically in my opinion, to scare him.
Speaker 11: Like we interview people all the time, We've interviewed murderers, ripest murderers, child molestors, and watching you here today, you've got the gestures in that seat and you're cool. I won't say you're I'm playing right, man. You're cool.
Speaker 12: You've learned to live with this and it's been your lifestyle, and it makes it easy by the way you talk, and by your way you deny your.
Speaker 1: Our man, they accuse him. They put tremendous pressure on Mike to admit he killed Dana, but he continues to say what he has always said, even interrupting them at times to stand up for himself.
Speaker 11: And you know, we got you, man.
Speaker 10: It's gonna look a lot better on you. You just say, listen, I don't do it.
Speaker 11: I think you did.
Speaker 13: If you put me into afore you getting wrong and.
Speaker 1: Somebody get away, then Danny Varner does something we don't expect upstanding officers to do. He lies.
Speaker 14: I don't think so much.
Speaker 11: I don't have somebody else to think.
Speaker 10: A pan in her car, Well, you got somebody else getting little murder.
Speaker 1: The BCSO did not have Mike's fingerprints inside Dana's car. They had no fingerprints. In fact, lying, however, is totally within the boundaries when you're interviewing a suspect, and I understand why detectives sometimes do it. This of you was conducted close to the time Mike willingly gave his blood and hair for DNA comparison. As I stated in an earlier episode. People like to put a face on evil. It helps them deal with the pain and loss. But as Mike McMillan told me, they decided that I had done this and that was it.
Speaker 10: Both of you.
Speaker 11: I agree with that it's been none. And Andrew tell us michaelcmillan that if you get it.
Speaker 1: Varner then gets into the grave marker Mike was arrested for stealing.
Speaker 10: Tell us how long he was after at the cemetary. Oh, it's been five minutes. It's been five hours.
Speaker 11: What do you think?
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter this night, of course, had been years before. As the interview continues, they talk about how Mike's alibi fell apart when they interviewed the girl he claimed to have been with that night. They talk about how the truck Mike drove was his dad's and it fit the description they had of the person parked behind Dana that morning, evidence that was all highly circumstantial at best. They then focused on a picture of Dana they found inside Mike's house.
Speaker 13: Oh there, sure, I'm taking out? Oh good, okay, Well, I know I screwed up. I'm taking a little mark or do, but I don't get where all the rest of the ship comes from.
Speaker 10: I mean, I understand it's just a little town and get one of the things that I don't understand. How even after I walk in and say, hey, look I did, I'm sorry they did. You know I was stupid for doing it. That's mitly what happened.
Speaker 13: Mike asked me whether or not I who took the marker, and I said, yeah, I did, And he said, well, hold on, we need to.
Speaker 10: Read your rus I remember that perfectly because that's important to me. I got arristed that day.
Speaker 1: Throughout this entire interview, they kept ratcheting up the pressure on Mike. At one point, they raised the idea of capital felony murder charges, which brought in the possibility of the death penalty. This approach, which potentially crosses a line into intimidation, was specifically designed to scare Mike into a confession, but Mike kept insisting that he did not kill Dana.
Speaker 10: To get me contend to something mindy and do it, which is all at all? Could you take her for a rise?
Speaker 1: Love Warner got into the polygraphs they had given to over a dozen people by that Mike had taken one during the early days of the investigation, and passed years later, he took a second one. During the second polygraph, he was asked if he was with Dana the day she disappeared, if at the time Dana was killed, he did anything to cause her death, and was he present when Dana's body was left in that creek bed. Mike answered no to each question. In the official report, the polygraphist said the results created quote such a pattern as to indicate he was deceptive in answering all of the relevant questions. When asked about his responses and how he'd scored on the test, Mike said, quote, sometimes I think I did kill Dana, but I know I didn't. The polygraph examiner concluded that, in his opinion, Mike was responsible for the death of Dana Stidham. During his interview with Sidoriak and Varner, the two detectives brought up that failed polygraph.
Speaker 10: How can they help? If I asked him, you can't.
Speaker 5: The same questions.
Speaker 10: I didn't have anything to do with Ames Todham's dead.
Speaker 1: If you were to read press reports only about Mike McMillan, you'd walk away feeling that he was hiding something and possibly committed this crime. But listening to him in these interviews, how direct and sharp, he is not one bit nervous. It clear he is emphatically denying any involvement this, mind you, As he is poked and prodded and accused of it over and over for years and years, he sticks to his story and never waivers. They thought they could break me, Mike told me when I interviewed him. Throughout the police interview, Mike continues to repeat himself, I didn't.
Speaker 10: Have anything to do with things. Tom's dead. Did you ever do anything by yourself? Took dance Jim.
Speaker 1: Such benign questions which have very little to do with evidence and everything to do with tunnel vision and closing a case. I obtained the FBI report from the hair blood analysis, the only forensic evidence in Dana's case. The BCSO says it has, and here's a quote from it. The DNA sequences from the hair and specimen from Georgia Stidham are different. Therefore, Dana's dittum can be eliminated as the donor of the head haair found inside Mike McMillan's vehicle. The BCSO had no forensics to back up what I would call a very weak, circumstantial case against Mike McMillan. The case, including the second polygraph, which Mike allegedly failed, was sent to the district attorney. Mc millan has never been charged. But why after trailing him and pressing him for years. The simple answer is they had no evidence against him, because no matter how much the BCSO believed that Mike McMillan had murdered Dana, they didn't have any tangible proof to support such an accusation or make it stick. Here's former Benton County Prosecutor Nathan Smith, whom you've heard in previous episodes.
Speaker 14: Sometimes in cases there's too many suspects and they all look good, right.
Speaker 9: Part of the problem with that is if you have one or two other pretty good suspects, that's almost by definition reasonable doubt. And so when you have multiple suspects out there from a time where it was difficult to collect the kind of evidence we get today routinely, that could be a problem. I can't imagine the pressure in nineteen eighty nine, nineteen ninety to make an arrest, to make the arrest, and I actually think looking back that the investigators who worked on it at the time probably should be commended for not making you an arrest simply because if the evidence isn't there, you don't want to start the process.
Speaker 14: Now, just stepping back a minute too, the murder scene or where the body dumps sight, so, was there evidence there, any type of evidence that could lead to somebody like, is there something to test if you know, you develop a good suspect.
Speaker 9: Well, I guess at this point I've got to be careful not to, you know, get out in front of the skis of the actual investigation. But certainly anything that we have today it becomes easier and easier going forward to do those kinds of testings. Now that the real issue is if you're referencing DNA or whatever, unless you just say, in a normal case, is was their DNA evidence preserved that can be tested today? Do you remember nineteen eighty nine that wasn't a thing people were doing, right, They didn't think about doing that. So I think it's really going to be just leaning into the facts more and trying to uncover any additional information.
Speaker 1: Although Mike McMillan somewhat faded from the public picture as a suspect, the BCSO were still searching for a piece of evidence that could tie him to the murder which they would never find. And yet the entire time the BCSO was pursuing Mike McMillan, there was a different suspect. They had their eye on, a guy unknown to the public, a much better suspect who was being looked at once again, when all of a sudden, Dana's case took a remarkable turn. It's impossible to overestimate the depth of loss of family experiences when a young person is murdered, or the feelings associated with that loss as they manifest and increments over time. You see, grief is universal. It comes in five stages denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance, with pangs of guilt being an unofficial sixth. Dana was eighteen years old. She missed out on so much life, but even more than that, she was missed. Time doesn't change that, and I think law enforcement especially must be careful when a case runs cold. What they do, what they say, what they don't say, how they respond to suspects, and undoubtedly to victims' families. Dana's cousin, Christy Smith, put it quite sincerely to.
Speaker 15: Me, it was a lost a lot of family that was very sad and very worried and very confused. The police didn't seem too worried. Still, it just seemed like there was a lot of things that should have been done that wasn't. That I don't believe was handled correctly. Like they only kept a car for a few days and then they gave it back to her parents. I mean, if the last place she was known to have been was in her car, why would you not keep the car, you know, for future reference, right. I think it was just, you know, we weren't I don't believe that our police departments at that time were handled to handle a case like this.
Speaker 1: As investigators continued to reinterview co workers and employees at Phillip's grocery, a name emerged, a name that had been there all along. He's never been mentioned publicly in this case, so I'm going to call him Jack Lenny, a local older guy with a reputation for not only hanging around Phillips Grocery daily, but sexually harassing women throughout his entire adult life. And by reputation I mean a documented trail of serial sexual harassment of the worst kind wherever this dude went. By the time I met investigative journalist Brandon Howard in twenty twenty three. He had done a lot of work on Jack Lenny And to be clear, this is not the same man from earlier in the podcast, the guy I referred to as the perverb who liked dirty magazines and lived up near Wellington Road, close to where Dana's car was found.
Speaker 16: Well there was another suspect at the store who worked in the area and was sexually harassing some of the women. But beyond the harassment in the store, he was also following them on the highway, and he had a long history of picking up hitchhikers, harassment at other stores in the Bellevista area, and vehicles that seemed to match more closely with what witnesses reported seeing behind Dania's vehicle the day she disappeared. That made me way more interested in him and how little he was fleshed out.
Speaker 1: Brandon means and I agree that this suspect was not pursued anywhere near as aggressively as Mike McMillan, which raises the question, why the hell not.
Speaker 6: Let's talk about him for a minute. What's his background like?
Speaker 16: This is a person who's well educated, as I would say, a few degrees, but works way below their station, does lots of construction jobs, can't keep jobs very long. Had actually been in the teaching profession, but potential harassment incidents also derailed that career. They were also the victim of a major brain injury that seemed to unencumber their potency for sexual deviancy and self control.
Speaker 6: So you're saying the suspect had a brain injury and ever since then has been out of control with sexual harassment and even sexual assault.
Speaker 16: Sure.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, I'm looking at the timeline you created, and what just blows my mind is it's not one, two, three girls over a period of time.
Speaker 6: It's five, six, seven, eight who don't know each other, definitely telling the same story about this one guy.
Speaker 16: Voracious appetite is the best. I mean, he's insatiable. It seems that woman or job or building as in a grocery store or outlet he frequents, has not had a story of some unnerving incident of harassment or behavior we would consider stalking. I would consider stalking.
Speaker 6: I mean, this isn't cat calling. This is be way beyond that sort of thing.
Speaker 16: It's frightening. It seems, you know, like someone, it seems to check all the boxes for a sexual predator, going into the store with a hood on their face, standing behind the women, oggling them, making circles around the store, sneaking up behind them, waiting for them in the parking lot after work, following them on the highway, trying to pull them over, in some cases, groping them.
Speaker 1: You start looking into this guy, and one of the things that I do is I look to exclude people with this guy. Can you exclude him from Dana's case?
Speaker 16: Yes, I would argue no. The best exclusion probably would have been his alibi, which initially was that he was not in the area and that he was at a family reunion. That's refuted by the evidence that they found that he worked the week of Dana's disappearance in Bella Vista, a full work week, I think, even some overtime. Now, the biggest attraction is that most of the sexual harassment, if not all, the sexual harassment incidents at the store, occurred in nineteen ninety three, four years after Dana's murder, but we know he was in the area in nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 1: I began looking deeper into this dude's life, talking to my sources in Benton County and beyond about him. I also heard there were recorded interviews that BCSO had done with him about Dana's case, which I set out to find. Each source. I spoke to, many of whom you'll soon hear in the podcast. Knew Jack Lenny very well, including no fewer than five in law enforcement, and every single one of them said the same thing. Lenny could most certainly be responsible for Dana's murder, but also additional homicides throughout the Ozarks. And wouldn't you know. As Lenny's name pops up on the bcso's radar in late nineteen ninety, something happens, something incredible, something changing the entire dynamic of Dana's case. It's December two, nineteen ninety and elderly couple Linda and Randy Grohler are walking along Oscar Tally Road, just east of Indian Creek in Anderson, Missouri, only twenty minutes north of Bella Vista, where INA's body was found the previous year. The main route near Oscar Tally Road is fifty nine or North Main Street. Oscar Tally is off that the rollers live in a small house near the end of the road, and we.
Speaker 7: Had came home, got her dinner going in the oven, and we went for a walk because I have back problems, so one of the deals is take a hike. And we went for a walk and we were picking up cans for the church to sell for our sighting aluminum cans. You know, you do what you can. And on the way back we were just within maybe a block and a half of the house. There was just around the curve up there. It was a deserted house.
Speaker 1: That deserted house was on its last legs, just waiting for the right gust of wind to come along and flatten it.
Speaker 7: To grass had grown and the leaves, everything had been knocked down. And Rady told me, he says, it's looking as grass because it's kind of windloan and stuff, and maybe we'll find some cans in here. And I said okay, And then he was all of a sudden, he says, Linda, I see a skull. I says, oh, surely not. But I went back there with him and we saw the skull, and then on further looking we could see the rest of the body on the kind of a lean to on the old house, on a concrete slab. We could see the rest of the body.
Speaker 1: If you are enjoying Paper Ghosts, check out my weekly podcast, Crossing the Line with m William Phelps wherever you get your favorite shows. Coming up next time Paper Ghosts.
Speaker 17: The stoll was detatched from the body and the ribcage was detached from the body. You know, the only clothes that was on the body that we found was where the elves and legs were in ten shows it had. She had ten of.
Speaker 11: Shoes on it.
Speaker 3: He can validate there was a party. He can validate that the kids said there was a screen.
Speaker 7: I'm not tooting my horn here, but I'm not out to give up on it, and I have reason to believe that it will be solved.
Speaker 1: Paper Ghosts Season four is written and executive produced by me Em William Phelps and Catherine Law. Script consulting Rose Bachi, audio editing and mixing by Brandon Dickert, and sound design by Matt Russell. The series theme number four four to two is written and performed by Thomas Phelps and Tom Mooney.