Speaker 1: It's nineteen ninety nine. Everyone's ringing in the new year.
Speaker 2: So tonight we're gonna party like it's nineteen night.
Speaker 1: People are either dancing along to Britney's spears, sometimes on a random boardwalk.
Speaker 2: Or looking out the window crying to Rickey Martin's She's a living.
Speaker 1: But people were also slightly panicked.
Speaker 2: The Y two K panic was a real. People were stalking up on supplies.
Speaker 1: There was even a Ywok task force. Listen. In the end, it wasn't a big deal. Clock struck midnight and all of our bank accounts were safe, and the world did not collapse.
Speaker 2: And I didn't get drunk in wake up at some Miranda's house with chocolate all over me.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure that part actually did happen.
Speaker 2: Let's just call it two truth and a light, babes. What did happen when we entered the white k area.
Speaker 1: So we're just glossing over your chocolate one night.
Speaker 2: Stamp Kier's natural dark blocks were no moss. Gone were those dark breeds with ribbons. The epitome of Latin rock in came Shakira, La Nena Rubio del Barrio. In the New Era, the US takeover.
Speaker 1: Now, that was a real shocker. At this point, we already knew who Shiquido was. Diehard fans knew how she grew up and that she dreamed of changing the music industry.
Speaker 2: Spoiler alert she did.
Speaker 1: All the way from Barranque, Columbia, where her father once showed her the poverty they could overcome and the people she could help. She set out with a mission of becoming successful enough to help those who needed it most, so successful that she was able to share one of the largest stages in the world with.
Speaker 2: It's not going to have heard ourselves, Lil's that's another episode.
Speaker 1: Wait, I wasn't going to say this super Bowl either way. On today's episode, we're going to jump into the next phase in Shaquida's evolution. Joseph and I are going to revisit her journey to learning English, releasing an album, and pulling off one of the most successful crossovers in music history. I'm your host, Liliana Oscaz and I'm Joseph Carrio and This is Becoming an Icon a weekly podcast where we give you the rundown on how today's most famous latinv stars have shaped pop culture.
Speaker 2: And given the world some extra level.
Speaker 1: Sit back and get comfortable.
Speaker 2: Because we are going in the only way we know how, with whenas us.
Speaker 1: When assas and a lot of opinions as we relive their greatest achievements on our journey to find out what makes them so iconic. Joseph, what would you do if I told you that Shakida regretted going blonde?
Speaker 2: I'd call you a liar, the same way you promised you'd show up to my birthday party. I didn't lie, Okay. Denial is a river in Egypt. Well.
Speaker 1: In a recent interview from twenty two twenty one, she admitted just.
Speaker 2: That missing out on my awe fantastic birth day bash.
Speaker 1: Now switching up her hair color.
Speaker 2: I think we're also regretting the low rise genes, so I can understand regretting bleach.
Speaker 1: She misses her dark black hair, sharing this, I change my hair so many different ways throughout my career. I love dark hair. I sometimes miss my super shiny dark hair. It never got to be the same because once you put bleach on your hair, it just never shines the same way. Back preach girl, I went through a blonde phase. Please do not google that. It was real bad, real bad in my hair has never quite been the same. Now, Shakira is no stranger to switching it up and having fun, but we all know something is true when it comes to hair.
Speaker 2: Hair is everything, and.
Speaker 1: When it came to her fans, well, I think they'd agree.
Speaker 2: Shak You not changing up her entire look made many believe she was ashamed of her roots.
Speaker 1: Very clever, Joseph clever.
Speaker 2: I'm a wordsmith manny thought she was changing to increase her appeal to the US market.
Speaker 1: To be honest, it kind of worked, but that's not why she did it. Shakira keeps it simple. She just thought her curls would look cool with beachy blonde hair, and she wasn't wrong.
Speaker 2: Listen, even now, it's hot. I mean it doesn't necessarily have to be blonde, but I will say textured curly, not necessarily barrel curl, like real natural curl is hot. It's in It's everything.
Speaker 1: So we can see why she would be interested in trying out that look. But I can also see why that look could feel so jarring to so many. In nineteen ninety nine, she does MTV and plug in New York City. Next thing you know, you have her rocking the same look as everyone else, right.
Speaker 2: I mean it's not shade, but just think about it. Britney Spears, Avril Lavigne, Pink, Christina Aguilera, and yeah, even Beyonce was rocking in a little bit of the blonde at the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's something about blonde that has the mass appeal in the US, I'm not saying globally, and all of these young artists at the time were looking for the biggest mass appeal so that they could become icons one day, and sometimes a little blonde can go a long way.
Speaker 2: Do you think that this was her most iconic look?
Speaker 1: I'm going to say that it was her most attention getting look because I don't necessarily think that it's hair color or an image that makes somebody iconic. But for me, it's what made her stand out. And when I went, WHOA, So I think what you said about that kind of beachy textured wave look being hot. It was hot, and whether it's right or not, we look to our music icons and our music superstars to be hot.
Speaker 2: What do you think was different between the blonde and the red because they were both really bold, because remember she had at dark first and then it was red and then blonde. I mean, obviously you need those steps to kind of get to blonde, but red was still kind of a loud color.
Speaker 1: We can have so many conversations about how sexist the music industry is and how the men behind the scenes kind of like pulling the puppet strings probably had one standard of beauty, one definition of beauty at that particular time.
Speaker 2: You guys have to remember it's nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think in nineteen ninety nine there was one look that really dominated this kind of like sexy pop star vibe, and it was blonde hair and a mid drift. That's what it was. It was nineteen ninety nine. And I'm not saying that that's okay. What I'm saying is that that's the image that we as consumers were fed over and over and over again. And when you see the same thing over and over again, you see it and go, oh, that's supposed to be hot, that person's supposed to be popular, and you kind of like entangle all of that together, and that's why it becomes such a standout look for her. I don't think it's her most iconic looking back at her career, I actually think it's the fiery red hair. To me, that's what made her unique in an individual. But I think for a lot of people, their introduction to Shakita was very sultry, blonde, sweaty, dancing, barefoot, belly exposed. I feel like we can look back at nineteen ninety nine and say that what was happening at that moment in time in the music industry, those looks that were being manufactured definitely were attributed to what I think is a Eurocentric standard of beauty. Doesn't take away from anything, but in nineteen ninety nine, those times were different, right, But let's stay in nineteen ninety nine for a second. Shaquita had just.
Speaker 2: Released and it was everywhere.
Speaker 1: She had proven the estephans right. Shakira was good enough to cross borders and oceans.
Speaker 2: So soon she got the call for one of the biggest shows at.
Speaker 1: The time, MTV Unplugged. The set was incredible.
Speaker 2: That's one of those events that if someone asked me, if you could travel in the past, where would you go? I would say take me there.
Speaker 1: Hany wait, in all of history, that's where you're going, bitch.
Speaker 2: I have my priorities.
Speaker 1: Just the energy of it all fair, This is a judgment free Zone and every song she performed got a standing ovation. The place was hyped.
Speaker 2: She was rocking those straight red locks, and she had her signature leather pants. You can tell she was having.
Speaker 1: So much fun, right, Oh, totally sort of the mood. That had to be by far one of the best things ever. She had originally wanted to bring live animals on the set, and MTV was like, no, girlly, that violates like twenty health codes here in New York City.
Speaker 2: Wait, it does.
Speaker 1: Why are you asking me that? Have you violated health code?
Speaker 2: This isn't about me.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about mtvn plugs a little bit. We talked about Ricky Martin's MTV and plug performance, how important and pivotal wasn't his career. If you put these side by side, do you see similarities or do you think they're just complete, standalone, unique episodes.
Speaker 2: Gosh, I hate to say. The reason I see similarities is because it feels so intimate and I just feel like they are just going off of the energy of the people. So that's why it feels the same. But I don't know, And it kind of feels sexy to me.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's super sexy. They both had a very are.
Speaker 2: Just so sexy. That's why I want to say they're the same. They're sexy, but they're different type of sexy.
Speaker 1: Can we say sensual instead of sexy, because I think it's just a very different way to project sexuality and intimacy and passion. Start Joseph would like to teleport there. But I feel if you were in the audience that night, you not only saw the music, you felt the music, You could touch the music. It just felt like a very sensory experience, and that is what makes MTV unplugged so special. God, I wish they would bring it back, but.
Speaker 2: It was everything everywhere, all at once. Let me tell you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's so many songs that you can go back and watch, but if you have not seen this particular performance, I highly encourage you to go back and watch it, and if you only have four and a half minutes, obviously finished this podcast first, but then go watch at least her performance of C I Guess or La Mula like just.
Speaker 2: Go so good you won't regret it.
Speaker 1: No, and these live mini concert experiences, I think, especially.
Speaker 2: Those, especially those when it was raw. Now everything is such a fucking production.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what E and what I think it does is MTV Unplugged for certain artists, specifically are icons Ricky and Shakita.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: If you just watch that, you understand why they reach icon status later in their career. You cannot look away from those performances. You literally are so in a state of trance watching.
Speaker 2: Them, but not like a shrooms trance, like a fun trance.
Speaker 1: It is a I cannot take my eyes off of this person. And if they got you like that at the start of their career, imagine where they're going to go. That is how they became icons because I think everybody in that room saw their performance, saw the passion, saw the raw talent, and thought, oh wow, we're going to be talking about these musicians for forever for an eternity.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 1: Just getting an invite to unplug is a big deal. But there have been a lot of forgettable performances. But true artist icons use the show to take themselves to another.
Speaker 2: Level, and Shaki was ready to make Philip.
Speaker 1: People loved her performance so much that it also turned into a record, with the acoustic versions competing against the og production versions on the radio. For the staff MTV at the time, It was reported to have been the quickest and easiest concert they had ever produced.
Speaker 2: That's our boot.
Speaker 1: She's a bad bitch.
Speaker 2: And you know, she went in there and had shit straightened out. She was like it should be like this, this, this, and this, because she's been doing music for the.
Speaker 1: And if you know how long it takes to make an album. I remember we talked about her album. It took nine months to make her album. This girl went in did a live performance and was like printed like that's it. And this album would actually later earn Shakita her.
Speaker 2: First Grammy, No, not a Latin Grammy, a Greeno Grammy, as our boy Benito likes to say, specifically the Grammy Award for Best Latin Pop Album.
Speaker 1: And that was more than enough proof that she was ready to cross over. Shakita's live recording of MTV and Plug would be the last time she would collaborate with Immdio Estefan Junior.
Speaker 2: Wait what.
Speaker 1: A lot of things were changing in Shakida's life.
Speaker 2: She was living in Miami and worked on her next album.
Speaker 1: She had recently been declared the Colombian Artist of the Century by the magazine tv Emo Venas.
Speaker 2: Of the Century.
Speaker 1: Damn but she didn't want to let her Colombian fans down and lose their respect by chasing the English market. She had a lot to lose living in a post Bad Bunny world. It might be hard to understand why this was risky back then. If you didn't try the crossover, you were kind of a nobody facts. But if you did and failed, then you had turned your back on your real fans for nothing. You were at risk of being labeled a sellout.
Speaker 2: Well, Shakita was definitely selling out. She was selling out shows, wrecords all across the globe. Yet people had the nerve to say she still wasn't somebody because she wasn't big in the States.
Speaker 1: Okay, but continue, no, no, go for it. Speak your truth, Joseph.
Speaker 2: If one thing's for certain when it comes to Shakida, she's very, very proud of being Columbs. She dedicates all of her wins to her country.
Speaker 1: And that's the feeling she couldn't shake. She didn't want to be seen as any less Colombian for singing in English and living in the US.
Speaker 2: I mean Miami, come again. Yes, Miami's technically the US, but it's also Latin America. That's been fact checked by me.
Speaker 1: Soon she was booking deals with Calvin Klein Pepsi, she was out touring doing press media interviews.
Speaker 3: She was also overwhelmed, which meant that soon her next album, Laundry Service, was delayed. That album was actually supposed to come out in ninety.
Speaker 1: Nine before the Latin explosion, but the album for MTV and Plug took its place. No one really knew when Laundry Service would actually drop.
Speaker 2: I'm sure the procrastinators are feeling very seen right now.
Speaker 1: Shakuda decided to switch up managers. She went from mister Stephan Junior to Freddy de Men, who was very well known for managing Michael Jackson, Madonna and now Shakida.
Speaker 2: You sure there's no tea.
Speaker 1: You're always looking for the tea. And yes, there was speculation over call them creative differences, but ultimately Shakidah left it at the fact that Emilia was a busy man with many clients. She wanted someone who could be more present and dedicate more time to her.
Speaker 2: That's as can delicious.
Speaker 1: It's not scandal, Joseph, it's just work. And to be honest, she was probably in a really vulnerable place at this point. She needed this to work.
Speaker 2: And it's not like she was going to ask Gloria's man to pay more attention to her than his own wife.
Speaker 1: I would, But the bottom line is the a Stephans kept hyping her up. Even after this, while she was still working on Laundry Service, Emilia kept telling the press to get ready because she was about to be the next best crossover since Selena and Ricky Martin. Long gone were her nights sitting down with Gloordia, translating her lyrics and learning English.
Speaker 2: Y'all, you used to sit with a rhyming dictionary next to her white whitman. Oh, captain, my captain.
Speaker 1: That was really beautiful.
Speaker 2: Do you think it was because of demand? Like do you think that Shakira No would have played it safe for the stefan.
Speaker 1: Shakita was going to be an icon. But I think having the right management is critical, and I think it happened at a critical time for her. Speaking of time, at this time, could Laundry Service do what Ricky's album did?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Why we needed a heart throb. We needed to be captivated by someone that wasn't white and be handsome and be tall, like be tall, dark and handsome and be taken aback to make room for If it started with the sultry pop rock chick, it wouldn't have been a Latin explosion, you know, it would have just been a Latin crossover.
Speaker 1: I have to agree with you, as much as I hate to agree with that statement because I think it reflects where we were as a coltura at that time. But I think you're right. I think that it had to be Ricky at that point in time in nineteen ninety nine to open the doors for this type of music, our music, right Latin music, to then come to the US and be ultimately what it became, which was this massive wave of hits. I don't think Shakida could have done it at the time because it had to be Yeah, imad, dude, Yeah, I hate saying that it did.
Speaker 2: It's just because we needed to be eased into it.
Speaker 1: Her career was taking off, but she still couldn't shake her insecurities about the world judging her for how she looked, not how she sounded.
Speaker 2: Everyone from Asia to Latin America was trying to look like Shakita. People were asking their stylists for fiery red dye with some colorful braids to.
Speaker 1: Boot leather pants were selling out all over the globe, but still she.
Speaker 2: Was having something of an identity crisis.
Speaker 1: Shakita didn't want to lose her artistry. In nineteen ninety nine, she's invited to perform at Miss Columbia.
Speaker 2: And Homegirl shows up the way gentlemen prefer Blonde.
Speaker 1: Great movie, by the.
Speaker 2: Way, Sign of the Cross, Rest in Peace, Maryland.
Speaker 1: Shakita was more than a look, and she knew.
Speaker 2: That, but other people disagreed.
Speaker 1: During an interview, she settled the matter by saying, this, a lot of people told me, no, Shakita is brunette. Jeez, I'm not my hair. Preach Shakita. Why do you think people wanted to look like her so much?
Speaker 2: She was pretty, she was different, she was everything we wanted to be, really, and that's why everyone was wearing these goddam on other pants.
Speaker 1: I was, I mean I couldn't find them at West.
Speaker 2: Seal five seven nine bites. What didny?
Speaker 1: I think everybody wanted to look like her because she was so exotic.
Speaker 2: But also familiar. I mean maybe because she was speaking Spanish.
Speaker 1: I mean, she felt so far away from the world that I knew.
Speaker 2: Really, Yeah, remember I told her like she felt like a bima to me. Really she could look like my pretty cousin from Colombia.
Speaker 1: All I know is that for me, she felt so exotic, and I wanted to capture some of that. Like in my wardrobe, I was like, Ooh, if I get these low rise leather pants and this cropped shirt and put a little braid in my hair, maybe I can also be perceived as exotic, because let's be honest, most of us were kind of like basic bitches in nineteen ninety nine, and here was Shakira changing it all up with this unique style, this unique sound. I wanted to be an individual like her. I respected her individuality so much that I was trying to recreate some of that in my own life. And I can't sing like Shakida, I can't dance like Shakida, but I can dress like Shakida. Shakita was ready to put aside her worries and just go for what she wanted. On September thirteenth, two thousand, Shakida performed almost Essi at the inaugural ceremony of the Latin Prammy Awards, where she was nominated in five categories. The ceremony was the first time a bilingual transmissi and aired on primetime television.
Speaker 2: Ever, it was proof that the Latin market was growing in the United States.
Speaker 1: Just to set the stage for you, it was one hell of a night. They kicked it off with a tribute to the Bopwent the performed by Sheila E on the drums, Celia Cruz, Gloria Stefan, and of course Ricky Martin.
Speaker 2: Her Grammy performance of a Hotel See was a hot ticket and with good reason. Milo Rita was up there stroking that mic stand like nobody's business.
Speaker 1: There was fire, it was red and we got a taste of her roots with the Doomback.
Speaker 2: The what the doom Beck, The Doomback.
Speaker 1: Hello, the doom Back. Remember about the night when her dad would take her to the restaurant and she would dance on tables. She was moving around to that rhythm that she connected to instantly. She found her soul seduced by the Doomback. That evening, the Colombian singer took home two Latin Grammy Awards.
Speaker 2: Okay, but come on, I'm getting impatient up in here.
Speaker 1: That's how everyone at that point was feeling. Shakito as we've learned, is a perfectionist. Donzano Ledronz took nine months.
Speaker 2: That was nineteen ninety eight. It was about to be two thousand and one. Ricky Martin had performed La Combe La Vida at the Grammys. Mark Anthony was killing it on the salsa scene. Jennifer Lopez had already released her debut album Now was a good time as any Don't worry.
Speaker 1: Shakida was more than ready to take over the American sound waves. Or, as she said in a Rolling Stone interview from two thousand and two, I come to seduce, which is different.
Speaker 2: I've used that line before, to be honest.
Speaker 1: How did it work out for you?
Speaker 2: Heny? I do just fine.
Speaker 1: Shakida spent a year working on the album, a lot of it at an isolated estate in Uruguay.
Speaker 2: Talk about a writer's retreat.
Speaker 1: But obviously she wasn't alone. When it came to the actual record. The source of inspiration was super clear. Dozan Leedronz was an emotional album, and it was rumored rumored to have been inspired by her relationship with Puerto Rican actor osvald Rios.
Speaker 2: Yo the moodikos out there getting people to write songs about.
Speaker 1: Them ish, Hey, you know we do just fine.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, Rios and Shaki were dating at that time, so even at Toddler could connect the dots on that album.
Speaker 1: Laundry Service, on the other hand, was openly dedicated to Antonio de Larua, an Argentine lawyer and the son of former President Fernando de Larrua.
Speaker 2: There was no heartfelt message like Jayla with ben affleck Eli Kodre Presidente had this Columbiana's heart. He was everywhere Asta la sopa. He was even in the music video for Underneath Your Clothes.
Speaker 1: By September of two thousand and one, Shaquida's album wasn't out, but pre release copies had already been sent to music critics. A few lucky people got their hands on what so many had been waiting for for three years now.
Speaker 2: Very much like Gullum and The Lord of the Rings, this was some precious cargo.
Speaker 1: But before anyone could celebrate, the world seemed to stop and shift. When news broke out that the US World Trade Center had been bombed. Shakita acted quickly and spoke up about the matter.
Speaker 2: Shakida's father is Lebanese and she was not going to let the hate slide.
Speaker 1: She shared at the time, the Arabic world is not all Muslims, nor are all Muslims terrorists.
Speaker 2: To deny her Middle Eastern heritage is to deny her entirely.
Speaker 1: It's in everything she does. It was going to be in her new album and she would continue to let everyone know it's a part of her.
Speaker 2: Many told her to stay in her place and to keep quote her political statements in hotel rooms.
Speaker 1: Shaquida wasn't going to do that, She said, I am a pop star, but I also have an opinion. I grew up in a country that has existed under the whip of violence for forty years, so how can I not You know, in my country, of five year old kid knows not only of Disney and Mickey Mouse, but also of gorillas and paramilitaries. You grow up with that kind of awareness of what the world is really like. Do you feel like this says a lot about who Shakida is as a human being, not just who she is as an artist.
Speaker 2: One thousand percent to speak up and not really care about the risks about to happen. You're just saying what you need to because it's a lenase. I don't know how you say that in English, but lenase to like say it. And I don't think she cared. I think she just had to get her point across.
Speaker 1: And we keep saying this in this episode. But you have to remember the timing of this. It's now twenty twenty three. People expect you as an artist to speak up for what you stand for. But back then, Taboo, our celebrities, our musicians, our icons kind of kept quiet and mom on political and social issues because, like you said, there was such a huge risk with speaking out that most people weren't going to take that risk. They'd worked so hard to get to this level and with one statement you could erase all of that success. But Shakida didn't care.
Speaker 2: You know, I will say I bel believe that Shakira does really see herself as an artist, and I don't think that she saw herself as a pop star to run the risk of people leaving her music. Right, She's an artist. People are following her.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Once everything was settled, she decided the best way to heal was through music. But she wasn't going to simply release the album.
Speaker 2: No. She decided to drop a single mm hmmm Whenever, Wherever and alongside it a music video.
Speaker 1: More like the music video, the song originally written in Spanish, Assuerte was heavily influenced by Dan music, including the charango and pan flutes in its instrumentation. It was co written with Clodia Stefan and you hear a lot of Latin influence but also a little pink Floyd.
Speaker 2: My girl really be throwing everything in there.
Speaker 1: And it was a hit. It's skyrocketed tostardom amongst American listeners.
Speaker 2: Basically what Living Levey to Loco was to Ricky Whenever Wherever was to show Kira why had she been so nervous? She sounded confident as fuzz on this record.
Speaker 1: I think the world agrees with you on that. This song reached number six on the Hot one hundred. The album release quickly followed one month later, on November thirteenth, two thousand and one.
Speaker 2: And just like the end of that video, Shakida emerged from the water and made landfall in America.
Speaker 1: Do you remember that video?
Speaker 2: I do ah, she like comes up, bitch. I try to do that all the time.
Speaker 1: Releasing Whenever Wherever as a single alongside the video ahead of the album, did the trick.
Speaker 2: Keeping her promise of seducing the US market. Shakida started out her crossover with the teas.
Speaker 1: It got people excited.
Speaker 2: It got me excited after such a long wait. It was like someone offering you unedible at church? Wait? Is that why everyone lands up? At the end? The priest gives out drugs and wine. Maybe I should starting to church.
Speaker 1: If you find the address to that church, could you text it to me?
Speaker 2: Anyways?
Speaker 1: When the album finally came out, it debuted at three on the Billboard charts. It had the end, the end music, Middle Eastern music, rock and roll, tango. What it didn't have was everybody convinced.
Speaker 2: Some people found Chekita singing in English to be silly.
Speaker 1: Give me their addresses right fucking now.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna punch you.
Speaker 1: Why because it was different?
Speaker 2: I do feel like it when you have a lot of genres, Bitch, this is two thousand and one, and to mix all of this in one album, it's a lot.
Speaker 1: I just think people are never ready for something new, right. It takes a hot second for people to go, oh, okay, she's not trying to sound like Gwen Stefani. She's not trying to be Britney spears. Soakira is her own person, she's her own artists. I will say for Shuki up Purist, if their critique was that the translation didn't hit the same in English versus Spanish, that I agree with.
Speaker 2: So you're saying maybe the message wasn't as powerful.
Speaker 1: I think it depends who the critic was. I think if it's music people that have followed her and grew up listening to her in Spanish and now we're hearing her sing in English. You know that sometimes we say stuff in Spanish that does not translate to English, it doesn't hit. It's like, what the fuck were you trying to say?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: How many times do we read a quote from an artist? Just even during our podcast, when we heard the quote in Spanish, were like yes, and then we read it in English, it has.
Speaker 2: More like you know, it's heavier when you read it in Spanish.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it just sounds prettier, and then we translate it's like so maybe that's the feeling that they had. But for people that were just discovering her in English, Americans that were listening to this album, it just was a fresh sound. It was different. It was something that your ear had to get used to, but once it got used to it, it was over.
Speaker 2: So you're saying that you think this album was the success thousand percent.
Speaker 1: I find this album to me one of the most successful crossover albums in recent times. Many fell back on their criticism, saying this album was much more tame and almost a watered down version of the raw energy she had in Pisds, Godzos and Don.
Speaker 2: Shakira defended her herself quicker than Speedy Gonzales. Honey Girl didn't hesitate.
Speaker 1: She titled the album Laundry Service because she felt she had been cleansed of all the anger she had before.
Speaker 2: Plain and simple. Her relationship with Antonio de la Roua had changed her. She hadn't lost who she was, she was just evolving. She shared this, I think I'm celebrating life more than ever. I had a slightly narrow vision of love. Now I am feeling unguarded and it feels great. I feel washed clean of the way I looked at things in the past. Despite the haters, Shakira was thriving.
Speaker 1: Laundry Service became the best selling album of two thousand and two. I told you all a second, Haters. It sold more than thirteen million copies worldwide and became the most successful album of her career to date.
Speaker 2: The album also earned her the title as the biggest Latin female crossover artist in the world. Shakira kept raking in the awards and going on tour. Girlypop was fine.
Speaker 1: Speaking of that tour, I have a little quick trivia for you and our listeners. Did you know that she named it the Tour of the Mongoose because the mongoose is the only animal that can survive a cobra bite.
Speaker 2: Shut that, but that is hardcore and that is metal.
Speaker 1: Shakira loves her a metaphor. During that tour, she showcased foot of puppets of Saddam Hussein and George Bush playing Chess Nike, and she threw in clips from Real Wars. It would then reveal that the puppeteer was the Grim Reaper.
Speaker 2: Shakira fears no one, not even Madonna.
Speaker 1: Okay, so here's what happened. Madonna had recorded a music video for American Life that featured her throwing a grenade at then President George W. Bush. She then quickly scrapped the video because many labeled her as unpatriotic.
Speaker 2: The drama what's your girl to do in these times?
Speaker 1: Well, she released a censored version of that video, and Shakira responded to that video saying, I expect a little more backbone from Madonna. Good pop music is always political in times of crisis.
Speaker 2: Girl had a lot to say.
Speaker 1: And she's never been shy about speaking her mind. And then she dropped Fiacio volumin.
Speaker 4: Uh No.
Speaker 2: What do you think of the decision for her to go back to Spanish after an English crossover.
Speaker 1: I think that why does it matter? Like however, she feels like she wants to express her music, whether it's in English in Arabic. I don't think she ever left Spanish, That's what I think. I don't think she ever left us to go be a crossover star to sing in English. I think she just wanted to do something different, and going back to Spanish was different at the time. I mean, I love it.
Speaker 2: Or maybe we'll just call it creating her next album. I mean she's not going a book. Yeah, yeah, she's just releasing another album. Yes, there was no going back.
Speaker 1: People again, we want to put people in a lane, and when they do something different, they take a left instead of making a right. We get pissy about it, but just let the woman live. Let Shakira be Shakira.
Speaker 2: Okay. Well, if her previous work was giving Alanis Mori set, this one was kind of giving me no doubt vibes.
Speaker 1: Here we go again, making women into something else.
Speaker 2: I love the drama. It also gave us much more of Latin pop than Latin rock.
Speaker 1: But let's be clear, it still had the folks that we are so used to with Shakir's previous albums.
Speaker 2: The album also fully brings forward a woman in love girl was down.
Speaker 1: Bad. Songs like open It and See have this hint of innocence and this feeling of freedom of being in love.
Speaker 2: Straight up feels like a Disney movie.
Speaker 1: And then you have the album's lead single, La, which is and I'm just gonna say it, one of the sexiest songs ever made ever.
Speaker 2: The video I my mouth is watering. I'm serious, the Master's the doctors said, I'm back, y'all, and with Alejandro signs, I mean, I can't take it.
Speaker 1: This is one of those beats songs videos that transcends language. I do not care what corner of the earth you live in. If somebody puts this song on and you watch this video.
Speaker 2: Hey, gyrate, they're pelvis this move. I don't know, it's like a beat. It moves you.
Speaker 1: I just gonna say they're turned on. Oh yeah, but yes, gyration is also a side effect of la.
Speaker 2: So wait, what do you think makes it sexy? Like? What if I've never seen the video? Does the music yes, still have the same effect on those gyrating hips? Yes?
Speaker 1: I think the vocals, like you can hear that these are two very hot, sexy smoky.
Speaker 2: Like Alejandro's voice is a little smoky.
Speaker 1: The music and the lyrics and the beat immediately to me, like, let's go back to the word I said earlier. This is sensual, but it's upbeat and sensual. It's different because.
Speaker 4: They're kind of like sexy talking Yeah, but not like Paris Hilton. There's a creepy stalker. But should they say it's the worst description of them hot? But like, look, I don't want a stalker, but if you're.
Speaker 1: Really hot, Okay, again, I'm gonna use a different word than stalker. It's voyeurism at its best. O, Mchi, you are so pc so it's her is not coming for us? Is sensual voyeurism And aside from that, I said this to you when I watched the video. I do not care what your sexual orientation is. You are attracted to Shakita and not like, oh she's so pretty, like you want to You are DTF Shakida in this video.
Speaker 2: Both of them. I would become a bisexual swinger for this video.
Speaker 1: It's so good, you guys. And her body in this I just said to Joseph, like it is incredible. Like she's covered in black paint, like rubbing fat paint all over herself. Her blonde hair is like perfectly quaffed and coiled. There's like a messy BedHead quality to it. She's like gyrating on the ground. They're eating Chinese food. Just watch the video, watch the video alone, or maybe not.
Speaker 2: Oh m G.
Speaker 1: It's just such a good song, you know. But the thing about this song is everything is sexy, Like the beat is sexy. It's got reggaeton vibes. And we're not the only people that felt like this, because that single went on to make history. At the two thousand and five the VMA's right.
Speaker 2: Baby Venito was toad watching this videom.
Speaker 1: You had Shakira and Alejandro San singing lat Tura Daddy Yankee with Gasolina Dono marn.
Speaker 2: Off What.
Speaker 4: Night.
Speaker 1: One thing is for sure, this album is the one that silenced all of Shakida's haters. Fias Volume one became the highest selling Latin pop album of the decade in the United States and the second highest selling Latin album overall.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: Shakita had written over sixty songs for Fijasul, which is a lot, so.
Speaker 2: She's put them in two. Hence Volume one and now Volume two.
Speaker 1: Shaquina often finds inspiration in religion, being a devout Catholic herself.
Speaker 2: I will be too if I can find that church with the ediples.
Speaker 1: When it came to oral fixation, she thought the Virgin Mary.
Speaker 2: Oh, totally like hot priests and erotica.
Speaker 1: What part of TikTok are you on? You know what? Don't answer that question. For Shaki, it was clear Eve's oral fixation.
Speaker 2: The Forbidden Fruit La Mansanita not sponsored by Apple unless you want to feature our podcast on your homepage hashtag sponsored.
Speaker 1: When discussing the cover art for both volumes, Shakida admitted to something personal. She's always filmed. She's a very oral person. It's her biggest source of pleasure.
Speaker 2: Before your minds go there, you nas dyci. As she references philosophy.
Speaker 1: She wholeheartedly believes in Sigmund Freud's theory that we discover the world through our mouths, which is why in the first cover you see an infant in her arms. But for the second one she had a different idea.
Speaker 2: Instead of the Holy image of Mary, we get Shakita almost bearing it all as Eve in the Garden of Eden.
Speaker 1: Riding the high of a Grammy win for Best Latin Rock Alternative Album for Fijasio d Volume one, she followed up with the lead single for Oral Fixation Volume two with Don't Bother. When asked about the single the future she Wolf responded, I think Don't Bother has a lot of pain in it as a song, but also a lot of humor and sarcasm. Yes, it is a way of exercising all of these feelings, a form of catharsis getting rid of all those emotions that torturous women at some point in our lives.
Speaker 2: But Don't Bother was labeled a commercial failure.
Speaker 1: Thankfully, nobody remembers that because Hips Don't Lie came to save the day.
Speaker 2: Thank god, it would become Shakida's first and only number one single on the Billboard Hot one hundred. In addition to reaching number one in over fifty five.
Speaker 1: Countries, Shakida and wy Klefschan recorded a second version of the song that was used for the closing ceremony of the two thousand and six FIFA World Cup, which would set the stage for her to come back in a couple of years Teeth. With her continued success, Shakida went on to collaborate again with Alejandro Sanz on the track del gradesco Ferrond, with Miguel Bosse on the duet Cito novelves and.
Speaker 2: And even Beyonce, but that's for next time.
Speaker 1: Shakira didn't set out to crossover or conquer a new listenership. She set out to seduce an entire country, and.
Speaker 2: She succeeded Babycakes. She was dominating sponsorships, setting foot in six out of seven continents.
Speaker 1: I find it hard to believe that even the Penguins and Antarctica didn't want Shakira.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Take it up with the penguins. Point blank, girl had the world wrapped around her finger and swaying to the rhythm.
Speaker 1: Shakira had proven the critics wrong, but now it was time for her to face her biggest challenge yet in the spotlight Heartbreak on the next Becoming an Icon. Becoming an Icon is presented by Sonoo and Iheart's Michael Duda podcast Network. Listen to Becoming an Icon on the iHeartRadio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your podcast