Speaker 1: Sometimes why you're listening to Fish on first on Foul's territory.
Speaker 2: Network, Fish and Filtered, episode one oh nine. We're here joined by Clayton McCallum, manager of the red hot Miami Marlins, who have a fourteen and four record in the month of June. Clayton, how are you doing? I know there's a lot to get into. Just what's this month? Then? Like, how fun has it been just coming? I'm sure it's a little more fun to coming to work when the team is playing as good as they have.
Speaker 3: Good morning, guys, fun to visit with you again, and certainly, I mean, winning is a lot more fun than losing. So it's been a it's been a good month so far, and yeah, a long way to go, but it has it's been. Guys are in a good spot right now and you know, really enjoying coming to the all park.
Speaker 4: Plan.
Speaker 2: Obviously, the big news yesterday was that the Miami Models designated Christopher Morele for assignment, activating Griffin Cone. I just talked about, you know, unfortunately the tough move to move on from Morele, who the team signed to a one year contract this past offseason, and why just do you don't think it ended up working out for him here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was tough.
Speaker 3: So I mean I think, you know, going into it, the hope was that you know, Christopher could come in and he still he still hit the ball hard, you know, had bat speed, maybe catch lighting in a bottle. This situation helps him be a little bit more productive than he has the last few years.
Speaker 4: He's still a talented person and.
Speaker 3: Took to first base, was open to that, and it just you know, unfortunately, the the oblique opening day. Poor guy misses opening day with that on the shelf for a little while, you know. And when he came back, Kevin, I did want to I think he deserved a shot, like to get us some regular playing time, like we were counting on coming into the season to to get regular at bats. And then as the year went on, you know, earn what you know, what you get, and he just you know, no secret, he struggled, and he was a real pro about everything.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: We sat down week and a half or so ago and just you know, I let him know that his playing time was going to really you know, be diminished here coming up that some other players had had just performed it. And and Chris understood that and so then then it's a really tough spot then when you're not getting any type of regular opportunity and the sample has already been somewhat limited. I think, you know what, seventy five played appearances. Now it's it's a tough ass to crawl out of a hole. So that part of it was difficult. But then also it just felt like that there were players on our roster currently that were just playing very well, and you know, our best chance to win to give those guys opportunity. And then it's coincided with Griffin, you know, coming off the il. So yeah, I think Chris, I mean, he he was smiling every day, he kept working, which I appreciate that he was pro about everything. It just was you know, unfortunately his time with us just the performance wasn't wasn't.
Speaker 2: There then obviously looking ahead Clayton, a lot of injuries currently on the Steam are a couple it's Junk, Yuri and Hicks just and the updates on those guys. I think the Hicks will may come later in the week, but at least Yuri and Junk. What's the latest on them?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So Yuri will throw a pitch design today in lone depot and following that pitch design, with how he feels and comes out of it, will determine where his next appearance will will be. And with Junk, he was around the team yesterday, came up for family day and spent the day with us. He's scheduled to throw live batting practice like two ups and thirty five pitches on Tuesday, and.
Speaker 4: Next steps after that.
Speaker 3: You know, again this is you know, assuming he comes out of it feels good, would be looking to get some type of a rehab start appearance over the weekend.
Speaker 4: So that's those two.
Speaker 3: And then with Liam, Liam's gonna get some imaging today on the back just to you know, also try to have a clear up picture and an idea what's going on. He felt a little better yesterday, he was still stiff, some of the rotational moves still bothered him.
Speaker 4: We thought it was just more prudent.
Speaker 3: Right now to take the aisle stint, give this thing hopefully the minimum amount, calm down, and you know, get back a healthy version of Liam, because that's the one that you know has done some really big things this year and the one that we're gonna need moving forward to continue to stack up wins.
Speaker 5: As far as jury goes, do you guys, does the location of where he's pitching, Like you know, in Saint Louis it's going to be crazy hot in Colorado and the Sacramento those aren't the best places to pitch. Does that come into a factor of when you want to throw them to help him ease in, not ease in, but you know, give him the best answer success, especially coming off of injury.
Speaker 4: It's a good question, a Jed.
Speaker 3: I don't knowice we talk about like the location uh County, Colorado. We'll have you know, guys will be drawing straws to see, you know, who wants to take the ball there. So no, I think it's as much health. I mean, and we've been operating with you know a number of bullpen games or you know, using some guys with bulk, and you know there's potential that you know, Yuri a couple of days from now has seventy pitches, say, and you know, in some ways why not use those here if we feel like he's healthy and and capable and then just continue to you know, progress from there.
Speaker 4: So that's a possibility.
Speaker 3: And I think the it was more about if Yuri's healthy and can give us, you know, an amount within an outing that we feel like, okay, because knowing that you're gonna lose a picture when he comes back, something's going to have.
Speaker 4: To you know, have to happen.
Speaker 3: We've recovered and and does he in a spot physically to go out and compete in a major league game. And I think those will be the deciding points more than maybe the location.
Speaker 4: Clayton with the.
Speaker 1: Sorry, with the afore mentioned injury to Hicks, I'm curious, does that make Star Wars practically the everyday first baseman going forward until Hicks returns.
Speaker 3: I think Star Wars will continue to get a number of reps at first base. People still see Norby get over there some and you know, and Griff could go over there as well. But this does it potentially help Griff as he gets you know, as he gets back. I mean we keep in mind too, he played three rehab games, so he's he was ready to come back, but there's also going to be some time for him to get back, you know, used to playing on a more regular basis, and potentially does some time at first space help that transition is as well?
Speaker 4: We'll see, So yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Think it will just continue to be kind of split up mostly between Kyle and Connor potentially griff here in the you.
Speaker 4: Know the time.
Speaker 1: And then also a follow up to that, I guess is, I'm sure you're just as enamored with Joe Mack as we have been behind the plate and offensively the Pats coming together shading for more power. So my question is, I we see Ramirez, we know what he can do with the bat, we sort of know what he can't do with the glove. I'm curious this team has preached defensive versatility all year long, why not with Gus.
Speaker 3: We still think that Gus being able to catch is a big part of his value, and so he's going to continue to catch them in triple A. We have had some internal discussions about the potential of exploring that first base uh there, So there's definitely say that we said it's a potential possibility. But then also that going to moving away from the catcher position, that point is it's it's not reversible, like once we once we kick the tires, then it's then it's done. And can Gus still we believe I do, can Gus catch you know X amount of games during the season, can he catch verse left, start games, verse left behind the plate, and that's valuable And I mean to pull off first base like every day, like you have to really hit and like just DH.
Speaker 4: So there's also some.
Speaker 3: How would Gus perform offensively if you only focused on hitting and Okay, like we don't know that either, So we still feel like it's a We're at a spot where we want to continue with the catching progression. We want to keep that option open. And I think the entire time we have been discussing the possibility at some point where we do introduce or reintroduce because he's played a little bit of first in his earlier minor league days on that, but we haven't had those conversations formally.
Speaker 4: Crats.
Speaker 6: Mint Mobile plans still just fifteen bucks a month.
Speaker 4: And you're getting a ton from that fifteen dollars.
Speaker 6: That's right, And we've talked about this for a while. It hasn't changed. It's still all there for you. I'm talking about unlimited text and data, fast, reliable coverage on the nation's largest five G network, oh and an award winning care team. Mint Mobile has it all for fifteen bucks a month. You can even bring your current phone and your number. Choose from three, six or twelve month plans. Say goodbye to a monthly bill. Ditch overpriced wireless with mint Mobile. To get your new wireless plan for just fifteen bucks a month, go to mintmobile dot com slash territory. That's mintmobile dot com slash territory. Cut your wireless bill to fifteen bucks a month At minmobile dot com slash territory. Forty five dollars upfront payment required equivalent to fifteen bucks a month. New customers on first three month plan only. Speed slower above forty gigabytes on unlimited plan. Additional taxes, fees, and restrictions apply. See mintmobile for details.
Speaker 5: If you guys are fourteen and four in June, what's what's the catalyst behind that?
Speaker 4: What's working?
Speaker 1: Is it.
Speaker 5: Just a culmination of the hard work just kind of coming to a head. Is it just right time, or you know what? What's the underlying reason for this team being able to perform like they have in June?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And I think you have to point to a number of things. I think offensively this month we have We've had some really good games. We've seen stours here recently really pick it up. Auto has just been mister consistency. But Barito has been really good this month. Ruiz has been very good. So I think the Caseys and Joe Mack have both So I think there's been offensively some real progress and the pitching has been, for me, phenomenal. I think how so many individuals we've seen that have just taken the ball whenever it's they've been called upon to do it and whatever they're asked of and help us navigate through a stretch where we had some guys down. And then also, aj you've done that, you have to you have to get lucky some too. I mean, Schmid hit a ball yesterday in the eighth like if he hits it twenty more feet to the left, like it's it's a home run.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, you need some make great play.
Speaker 3: So I think during stretches like this, you're also things you know kind of need to go your way, and you you you play really well, like which I do think we're playing well. I think we're playing good baseball right now, and you get some things to go your way. You're in a lot of games, you have a chance for the one break in a game to flip up on your side and now you end up winning. So yeah, a lot going our way, but I do think we're making a lot of our own moments as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's even more impressive when you take into the account the injuries to the starting rotation that you guys have undergone. Right, So I'm just curious. Obviously you're excited to get your back dunk maybe a little bit ways away, but you how sustainable I guess is the bullpen games because obviously you need them on the non bullpen games and because you will.
Speaker 4: Not require more roster.
Speaker 1: It was just how much longer are you guys expected to be using a bullpen day every fifth five days?
Speaker 3: I mean, I know this has been a really hot topping you guys, and you know we should go out and find just someone that hey, just go find a starter, right, just having a guy guy who started out a game before has to be better than the potential options that you might already have.
Speaker 4: And how long?
Speaker 3: How sustainable, Isaac, I don't know, We've been running it now for three weeks or so, whatever it is, we can you know, continue in the near term to go do this, And we felt like, look what happened.
Speaker 4: Happened?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Junk and Urie Boom basically down at the same time, and we were still we were stretching Tyler out at that time, and we thought, well, it's just try to get as creative as we can with ways at which to try to go win games. And I think we'll continue to look at it that way, and certainly when Uri gets back in the rotation, you know, we get jumped back, we hope relatively soon and thinks stabilized from that end a little bit, but I think the near term, until we get some of those guys back, we continue to you know, if we have an open spot, run a bullpen game, maybe open for guys or you know, cut guys short, depending on.
Speaker 4: What we have available that day.
Speaker 3: And it's really just coming into how do we think is the best way to win today's game, and then you know, we're worry about tomorrow when we get there.
Speaker 5: Talk about the mentality of the bullpen, I mean, because you know, when you lose two starters like Uri and Junk who have been producing and URI's starting to get on the rise, and then you ask the bullpen to cover all these innings and the way that they've risen to the challenge I've been in the bullpens where you go through stretches where you got to carry some of the starting staff, maybe getting some short starts, and it just seems like it bonds the bullpen even tighter and everyone's like, all right, get on our back, we're going and that's what's happening. So talk about like the mindset of the bullpen right now and what it's been able to do to help this team have a great June.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what you know better than any of us, a jman, what a a special group out there in the bullpen. I mean, they're kind of like their own little tribe within a team. And Brandon Man deserves a lot of credit for this.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 3: I mean more than just this moment right now where guys are stepping up. Brandon has created a culture in the bullpen where as much as people don't like it, we don't have someone that throws the seventh inning every day and this person throws the eighth inning, and you know, we got okay, Pete's going to close the majority of our games. But you know, really these guys just go in and pitch, you know, whenever they're called upon. I think Brandon has helped you know, create that mindset and then you come into now fast forward to where we are at this point where yes, we are asking Lake Baker to start games and two days later you're going to come close the game that they're just willing to take on whatever's asked of them and very unselfishly what's in the best interest of the team. And they, yeah, they know the stakes. Guys are within it. Calus, guys are aware, they know yet we're running these games. There's gonna be a lot of them that are used and it gets taxed and you know the next day, guys are gonna have to probably be asked to you know, going back to back or and they've been great about they're also their communication with Daniel Brandon to come up with how they're feeling, and we take that into account aj you know, player self reportings.
Speaker 4: We expect them to be honest.
Speaker 3: And if guys say they're a little banged up, like we recognize what they're going through, that will appreciate that and try to take care of him.
Speaker 4: As best we can.
Speaker 3: And if guys say they can pitch, this is the big leagues, and you say you can pitch, then if there's a chance to go win a game, then you know we'll go, We'll go do that. So but yes, they have been incredible, and for me, it's it's the unselfishness they just you know, John King, this guy will do anything and he has and so you need you need guys, and you need a group down there that all they care about is is winning and protecting each other for this.
Speaker 4: To work.
Speaker 2: Playing. I'm curious with with Pete. I know, one of the big things when you guys sawn him, I was like, hey, maybe this guy could go three straight days, still have to happen, Maybe it happens later into the season. Was he available potentially for that last game or do you think that could have been an option for you guys just to see what a three straight days of Pete could look like. Or I was just still kind of just having him settle back in after the iyele stint.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he wasn't available yesterday. I think you know a few factors. I mean, it was tougher too that the day game after a night given, so that is a really short turnaround for guys, and not just Pete. But I think a lot of our pitchers talk a lot about that. There was just not as much recovery time. So if we were going to do the three in a row at this point, you know, we're still in June, that would have been a tough one to ask to turn around on a you know, day after night, on a back to back and go three in a row. So yeah, I think that those things will be on the table, you know, Kevin, as we go. And we also have to keep in mind we have over eighty games left. I believe while it's been a great run to start June, it's exciting like we have a lot of baseball ahead of us, and so I think we're to win and continue to win. It's going to take days like yesterday where yep, okay late closed the game and then we all felt great when lake I did at least ran out there to close the game. And you need those things to happen when you're going to go and sustain stretches of winning, because you do you have to use a lot of people when you're playing tight games. When my puppy Bella has something wrong, I'm not going to go around googling what to do.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Kratz, let's have a better plan. Today's episode is sponsored by the ASPCA Pet Health Insurance program. It offers customizable accident and illness plans that can fit your budget, your lifestyle, and even your pets particular quirks, because, let's be honest, VET bills can add up fast. ASPCA Pet Health Insurance has been around for almost thirty years and has covered over one million pets. And when it's time to submit a claim, it's easy. Just use their app and receive reimbursement for eligible VET bills directly into your bank account, so you can get back to focusing on what really matters. To explore coverage, visit ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash foul. That's ASPCA Pet Insurance dot com slash foul. Again, that's a SPCA Pet Insurance dot Com slash foul. This is a paid advertisement. Insurance is under written by either Independent American Insurance Company or United States Fire Insurance Company and produced by PTZ Insurance Agency Limited. The ASPCA is not an insurance and is not engaged in the business of insurance.
Speaker 2: One guy I wanted to ask you about was Leo Himanaz. I know some fans have been frustrated ice to play. What have you seen from Leo obviously he's a guy who you guys may be brought in to give you some help against left handed pitching and use him at third base to help you guys at that position. What has he shown you guys so far and what what is it that you guys are seeing him that has allowed you to maybe put him a pretty pretty high up in the lineup, maybe fourth, fifth spot sometimes up there.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I think one thing to keep in mind with with Laos, I mean, he missed a ton of time recently with injury one like to last year.
Speaker 4: So I think this is, you know, we had the opportunity to.
Speaker 3: Acquire Lao was that he had some under things that we really value and see is like potentially being a turn into a good major league player who and he's still very young. He makes a ton of contact, he makes good swing decisions, he has some defensive versatility. So at that point, you know, taking a chance on acquiring a player like Leo that you know that we could give some opportunity to And part of the capitalist was sending Graham down was Graham wasn't performing and this would give Leo some more opportunity at least to get in there with some more frequency for us to have a better idea of what we have in Leo.
Speaker 4: And I did I think he was movid.
Speaker 3: Bats have been have been good. I mean he you know, he hasn't. The counting numbers aren't great. He's still you know, kind of learning third base on the fly. But I think it's still with age with some of his skill set. That this is you know, acquiring guys like Leo, like this is how you get auto lopezz of the world. It's you know, it's how you end up finding some good players. And he's a fit for us, you know at this point, and believe that he'll get things turned around. He's going to continue to get some starts. And the lineup question, so usually I think now kind of how we settled and it'll be a little different here coming up, you know, co nine back in and then when we get Hicks, but somewhat trying to again keep a little bit of distance between Liam was who was hitting lead off and Stours hitting you know, third or fourth, and then the guy's other left handed hitters back behind him. So like finding the place if we have two or three right handed hitters, kind of where to space them out within and like Otto was hitting second a lot, and then okay, like we're gonna probably have a righty hit in the five hole, and if that was Burt that day, it's usually Bert it could be so Noha Jimenez has done it. And then we were running three straight lefties with a righty at the bottom of that. So it was as much a function of trying to create some spacing within the lineup while also believe in that, you know, putting less stock in what Layos numbers on the scoreboard were over seventy played appearances and what we believe like he's capable.
Speaker 7: Of doing.
Speaker 5: Now around like this time of year is whenever you start hearing talk about guys potentially being moved or what is our team going to do or we should we add there's a lot of outside noise that that seems to come in around this time. How do you get guys to continue to focus on who's on your team right now, what your team is doing right now, so that you guys can continue to put position yourself to maybe force the team to maybe do some more additions than subtractions.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's as best you can is just try to make each day feel normal, but it's it's a good thing. Like if you guys are being asked, hey, should you guys buy should Like that's great, Like okay, we're you know, and I we'd rather be doing that then the alternative. And so being in a position where you know that potentially is the case great. But also like as a player, you know this, you have no control over what's about to happen. Okay, Peter Bruce and company, they're going to decide what they want to do, and so you have to go out and play, continue to win. And you hear all the time players like, we have to go do our job, which is to win games. And I think it's as best you can some of the noise that's going to come up, and I mean, I guess its like it's more fun. It's like baseball fans, it's fun. Let's write about it, speculate about trades, and I mean the reality of it is, we all know that most of those things that you read or hear are so are way more smoke than anything else. So just whatever, let's go play baseball and let other people, you know, speculate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's that's my least favorite part of being in the media is all the speculation that I have to do or talk about, and I'm like, nobody knows unless in those those rooms, and it's fun.
Speaker 4: I also want to talk about it.
Speaker 3: I think last year like actually may help. We had a number of players like it was their first time having their names put out there. Okay, you're Anthony Bender, like you're about to have a baby, you might get traded, you know. I mean Sandy is probably at this point like he's tired of it. I'm sure, but it's we know how many questions you're gonna be asked about Sandy and you know Fauchet. So there were a number of guys last year kind of their first time of like you know, dealing with that, which I think is a good thing for them too, because, like you said, a good players get talked about, and guys who are good are going to be put in these types of conversations and it's just like anything else until you've gone through it and kind of dealt with the edge stress that whether you know you want to go read the speculation or not, that's going to be there. So and now you come into this year and think, well, you know what, I was so worried about it. Last year nothing happened. So you know, what can I do about it? Just continue to go. And so I hope some of that of last year's you know, helped some guys this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: I mean what you're saying, you're saying is that that we helped you out a little bit. Then last year we played a part in the morrow On success towards the second half of the season.
Speaker 3: Of course you did, right, I mean, you guys were the drives about you guys.
Speaker 4: That's hilarious.
Speaker 5: I'm wondering if you saw that Auto Lopez was fifth amongst the National League shortstops, and I want to get your thoughts on that, and what do you think about him being so far down? I personally think, you know, he should.
Speaker 4: Be further up.
Speaker 5: But what do you think about the system of how guys are voted on and how they make the All Star team or starting lineup for the All Star team.
Speaker 4: I think Auto should be an All Star.
Speaker 3: I think he has not Like Auto, Auto is having an All Star worthy season and he deserves it.
Speaker 4: I get the system.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, it's an exhibition game, right, It's it's for the fans, and I think in some ways the fans should have a lot of say and you know who goes there is it always every year is disappointed. It stinks for you know, a particular player who's having this maybe maybe the best half of his life, that has a chance to be an All Star that doesn't get it because a more noteworthy player, you know, gets selected to do this. So that part of it, Yes, it's stinks, But I think whether you know it's the home run derby, it's the All Star Game itself. I think people want to come out and see who they want to see, and Major League Baseball and those who vote on the you know, the other players like to also have to be representative of those who are having Like Auto's having an All Star worthy season, he's leading the league in hits and average that you know he should he should be there, no matter what I think. He you know, he's earned that. So I don't know, but I get that the outcry. But two, I think that fans this is there, is their right to go, and it is the way it's set up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, coming from the Dodgers, though, I'm sure you see a correlation between you know, small market team players and big markets, right Obviously you know, you guys have someone like Mookie Bets, for example, who's not having a Mookie Bets caliber season yet is earning half a million votes. It appears much more than Otto Lopez. Would you say that, would you like to see a different sort of system, because obviously it.
Speaker 4: Is for the fans.
Speaker 1: This game is for the fans, but maybe they have a little bit too much power in this case.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I don't honestly don't really think that much about it, right.
Speaker 3: I think with the fans again, they drive this like if there's not for faith, there's not fans.
Speaker 4: I mean basically every night we go out there, we're trying to.
Speaker 3: Go other to entertain fans, Like, you know, we win, more people will probably show up, right, Like, so this game is about the fans, and I think this is just a again, an exhibition game that's turned into very much, you know, seeing the Miseroskies of the world, you know, go throw it in and face Je Soto like you know, or whoever else like I guess it or Aaron Judge, you know, like that's what people want to kind of see, is I think that?
Speaker 4: And you know, if that's what they if that's what they want and they're gonna.
Speaker 3: You know, so I just hope again like there are going to be some guy squeezed out. But that's the unfortunate part of, you know, the gig.
Speaker 1: Yeah, speaking of All Star weekend, I'm curious. Last year you were in Atlanta as part of Dave Roberts staff for the twenty twenty five All Star Game, great time when Cal Stowers entered as the home run derby tiebreaker. Have you been informed if you'll be going to Philadelphia as part of his staff again in twenty twenty six?
Speaker 4: No, No, I'm not, uh, I will not be going as part of his staff this year. What goes into that decision for that?
Speaker 1: I mean, hopefully when you guys win the World Series, you'll be making that decision for yourself.
Speaker 4: But I'm curious what how exactly.
Speaker 1: Does Dave make that that those coaching decisions.
Speaker 4: I guess I would think.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think last year it was as much probably a bit of a reward for myself and my family have been on the staff in twenty four winning the World Series and then you know that staff gets to go to the All Star Game and with us not being there, I think it was you know, and also you know, being a manager now a manager on another team, a way to have myself and our family be a part of that, which I was we were all very grateful for. And you know then, I think generally, you know, the home you're in the home ballpark, that manager is usually asked to be on one of the staffs, whicheveryone it is.
Speaker 4: And you know you've so you're looking.
Speaker 3: For another manager or you know, someone within the game to kind of be a you know, like it was, you know, guest manager or you know, whatever it was. So I think my choice last year is is much just the time that we've spent in la and coming off the World Series and wanting myself and our family to be a part of that.
Speaker 2: This podcast is brought to you by jet Ski Rentals of South Florida, offering Miami's best jet ski and boat adventures. With six jet ski locations in over one hundred and twenty boats, There's something for every style and every budget. Rde jet Ski is right in front of the downtown Skyland and ferris Wheel, or book your own private boat starting as little as three hundred dollars with the captain included, Bring your drinks, your friends and enjoy the water your way. The boat is completely yours for the time you reserve it. Their reservation based only the book called three or five nine nine zero two to one nine two, or check them out at online at SF jet ski Rentals dot com and make sure to use promo code fish on first to receive a ten percent discount on your next booking. Again, it's three or five nine nine zero two to one nine to two, or online at SF jetski Rentals dot com. I'm curious, Clayton, what's it like throwing a home runner? But I think he did this in twenty three. I want to say, for someone you did. I forgot who it was, but you did it.
Speaker 4: I did. I threw I threw the Mookie bets in the home run derby and we finished last.
Speaker 3: But it was fun, you know it was It was funny because like Mookie doesn't if you watch him, he doesn't hit home runs in battye practice, Like he just doesn't mean the guy might get out, you know, one or two in a full round.
Speaker 4: I mean, he's gonna good years. You know, he's hitting over thirty.
Speaker 3: But I think his you know, he kind of got talked to the kind of a bucket list thing like they it will be asked and it's like, all right, you know what, go do a home run derby, And so I always threw to him every day, so he asked me. And we're in the cage, like you know how, like they're hitting this on time, and it's like, all right, you know you guys are up in twelve minutes or whatever. Right, So we're hitting a little bit in the cage and he's like, dude, I don't know how to hit a home run, and VP I'm like, Marcus.
Speaker 4: I can figure that out here pretty quick. Man. We got like eight minutes until it showtime.
Speaker 3: But we went out there and once you get past all like there's cameras everywhere. Uh, there's no turtle you're used to throw into, you know, it's a catcher.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, I honestly didn't even all the that stuff.
Speaker 3: I didn't even like once you got out there, it was just like I'm trying to get it and trying to throw it in this little specific spot for him. And when he was ready to swing, I didn't to be ready to throw. So it was a cool experience. I was again appreciated that he asked me to, you know, to do that, and yeah, so yeah, thrown in a home run derby.
Speaker 4: Can I'm.
Speaker 5: Sorry, how nervous were you?
Speaker 4: Honestly? I ah, I believe or not. I wasn't that nervous. I had practiced.
Speaker 3: Mookie didn't want to practice, like he didn't want to like practice the like just trying to hit homers. He was on a heater like at that point, so like he was just gonna hit. So the only thing we did is I threw to him and like, all right, where do you mean to throw it? And he's like, I'm kind of somewhere in here, like all right. So then I went out in the field like i'd go out at home and all right, start the clock and I would throw to one of our other coaches and just try to like hit that spot.
Speaker 4: And so no, and then you had.
Speaker 3: Before that during that day they all got a Hitlleville in the field, like you know, both teams are taking their pregame work and then the home run derby contestants come out and you had like one minute or thirty seconds, so like you I kind of like was already got to throw a few on the field and and then it was like, well, we want her to be nervous about I'm throwing a baseball, like just grab him, you know, throw it, and when you're in that I think I just wasn't thinking about that as much as like, you know, throw.
Speaker 4: Clayton.
Speaker 1: I'm curious. You guys have been red hot this month obviously, so I don't want to nitpick too much, but there is one I think you guys could have been even better.
Speaker 4: I have one, I.
Speaker 1: Guess managerial decision to pick your brain on. I'm curious in justitsburgh. Just one, well unbelievable, right, just one. And it was in Pittsburgh and as you guys the game, you guys lost, Ruiz is on second base and the ninth inning down by one, nobody out and Sonoah is up at the plate, and I'm curious, why was any bunting there to just put Ruiz ninety feet away?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: I mean to be honest, like I don't even remember that, Like I don't I come, but I don't remember.
Speaker 4: Is I don't know like who we had left to pitch? Uh?
Speaker 3: I mean certainly it's like we want to really play for the tie on the road right now? It was who was coming after soh like I'd have to actually go back in and look through the entire mean, right, if I had to just get I'd say it's probably like not wanting to play for the tie on the road and our best chance being to know to go for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Noha was batting eighth, you had Norby on deck Hicks after that, Lopez and you guys had used a good amount of pictures that day. So I guess that and you guys won the series ended up being a moot point. Well, that was one where I was That was the only manager real quick I had for the whole month, which was pretty good.
Speaker 4: But one other question I have for both you and a J.
Speaker 1: I guess I'll start with you, Clayton, your fit, your fondest as a fan All Star memory, either watching or participating in any of the festivities. Which is your favorite All Star memory?
Speaker 5: Ah?
Speaker 4: So I have I have a couple.
Speaker 3: First, I go back, my dad and mom took me to All Star Game in Pittsburgh, and which was you know, as a kid, as you know, like an eleven, you know, twelve year old kid whatever it was at the time, to go to an Allstar I'm like, this is like, wow, man, this is so cool. And we were coming back to our hotel and meat Loaf was staying there. I remember Meatloaf, Oh I don't mean the singer, yeah, singer like Meatloaf had sang like performed at the All Star festivities or whatever in some capacity, but like, meat Love was at our hotel, went to an All Star game, which was amazing. And then the year was that Albert's last It was in La, So this was must have been twenty three. LA hosted the All Star game Dodgers did, and so Poolholtz was there, and so my son loved Albert from the time he had spent the year before with the Dodgers. Kyle loved he loved Albert. That was his guy. So to have Albert back and like, you know, after the derby sit out there and watch him go say hi to Albert on the field and hang out like that was then you kind of realize, like how lucky I am to hear I'm I'm sitting on the field with my family, my kids watching the home run derby like this. You know, this job, it doesn't get much better than this. So that was a really cool personal moment for me.
Speaker 1: And aj I'll follow it up to you same question, either growing up or when you were an All Star in twenty sixteen at Petgo Park, what would be your fondest memory during the Midsummer Classic?
Speaker 5: You know, watching the All Star Game was always really dope to me, watching the home run Derby's. There wasn't any specific moment, but just every time I would watch a home run Derby, I'd go outside and I'd go play with a ball outside because I just I just loved.
Speaker 4: Baseball so much. Man, I couldn't get enough of it.
Speaker 5: And then when I actually got to be an All Star one seeing my family there supporting me, because obviously they were a huge reason in part as to me why I was an All Star. But then the second favorite moment was whenever g was hitting homer after homer about to knock down that building and left field with all those homers, we we did like the pit stop or whatever where Mi Jose Fernandez, Marcelo Zuna we went up and start to like give him water and like they we gave a TV like a pause or whatever. Uh So doing that was fun, and I think after that every All Star Game they started to do that. People will come in and start to like give a little towel and give a little break. So being a part of that, seeing g crank homers and then just man, it was a dream of mine. It was it was a goal to be an All Star and to be able to achieve that and see my family, you know, in the stands and around, that's that to me is something that was an amazing moment and always always remember that.
Speaker 7: Obviously, fish on First is brought to you by fan Duel Miami Marlins fans. The MLB season is in full swing and FanDuel is giving you a chance to call your shot. With daily dingers joining the action is so easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their next game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why FanDuel is the home of home runs. Only natural right now to put the focus on Griffin Conon, fresh off the injured list but at some of the best raw power on this Marlins team. He has waited two and a half months to dat a home run in a regular season Marlins game. That is very high up in the order on his return from the IL. He's gonna have plenty of opportunities in the lineup going forward with this team now that he can play variety of positions, including first base. So he's the guy that I have my eye on for this. Are you ready to play your game? Head over to FanDuel dot com Slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com Slash podcast. To opt in for daily dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer, playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 8: No purchase necessary, opt in required. Bonus issued as non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount see terms at sportsbook dot FanDuel dot com. Gambling problem caller Tex one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 2: Last one for you claim before we wrap up here. I'm sure you know the Tartan Army is coming too long deepot Park today. I'm sure you're gonna be asked about this a couple of times pre games, so we'll get ahead of it. What are your thoughts on this? Have you seen any of these videos like this? Seems like insane. These guys are crazy, like they they're gonna fill up the stadium. I heard they sold out like all the home run sections, so yeah, it should be not What are your thoughts on this?
Speaker 3: I'm excited about it. I think that's this is great. I did catch the clips. I guess they were at Fenway Park, uh not too long ago, and uh looked amazing. So yeah, I think we're gonna welcome it. This is uh, you know, I have another nice crowd here today, and I'm sure they're gonna be thirsty and looking for somewhere in someone to quench their thirst.
Speaker 4: So that'll be good for the vendors as well.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I can't I can't wait to be part of this.
Speaker 4: Ah. What are they the Tartans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Tartan Army is as I guess they're doing this. They're doing this whole march like blocks and blocks away from the ballpark at four o'clock. And then yeah, there the videos as scene is. It's chanced throughout the whole game, music throughout the whole game. So yeah, so we'll wrap it in, Clayton. Yeah, we'll wrap it up here. Clayton, Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: For doing this.
Speaker 2: We do this every month. Excited for next month's edition of Talking to You but from Isaac Clayton, uh agent myself. We'll see you guys all next week. Peace out and as always, go fish
Speaker 4: This word pl A the party po