Speaker 1: What's up? And welcome back to another episode of No Sealer's podcast with your hosts now fuck that with your loaw glasses Malone.
Speaker 2: That due all of us, probably the most influential producer in Detroit right now with.
Speaker 3: The boone boom boom, them thick.
Speaker 2: Base lines that he you know, he came with them base lines, you know, with the bone bone and you hear it an every damn song.
Speaker 3: Damn there Now, I don't know what.
Speaker 2: The fuck you're talking about you from.
Speaker 1: Let's make sure we don't talk over each other because they get real digitized and all like that again Part three of this three part podcast. We started off having a conversation. The first podcast rooted in just culture in general, like what hip hop was street urban culture, right, and we started to break it down, dissected and loosely. We cover brand, We talk about marketing, We talked about you know, the culture itself.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: And then the second one, the last time we talked about this, right, we talked about what were we talking about? We were talking about what was wrong with the content creating space and hip hop? Right, we were talking about everything wrong with the content creating space and hip hop. Hip hop is just kind of following, like they don't have a real angle. They're just doing shit. They're just trying to be popular. Everybody's trying to win the popularity lottery, so they get so popular, you know what I mean, that they records start to matter. Also, we chopped it up because about so not only trying to win the popularity lottery, but not really having a true direct line of business.
Speaker 4: It's interesting bid obviously over the weekend, which you guys have heard about, how the dollar and pussy left the gold standard and hip hop, the culture at the street level is the gold standard. They've decoupled. It's now floating currencies of just random popularities tied to other random popularities of performers. There's no gold standard anymore. What was happening is we're experiencing the hypertrophy and the inflation of hip hop because there's no gold standard anymore, and therefore the value is on borrowed time.
Speaker 1: Totally fucking agree.
Speaker 3: The value.
Speaker 1: Is the gold standard that gave hip hop its true value. M Oh my god, I never thought about it like that.
Speaker 4: It just came to me. Everything is about currency. I think it's about stability of currency. So now we're up to this third part. And again I call this my hip hop stimulus package. It's for the West, but anybody can adopt this and I'm glad you had it that that's brilliant to the music. You know, we we haven't talked about the music. We've talked about marketing and branding to me, and that's important because visually, you know what I mean. That's we see music before we hear it today because everything we discover is based off looking down at our phones, right, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's not like when Still was young or when I was younger, you heard it on the radio, you heard it just at a party. Now we see it on our phone. Being back, so I understand why we took a really deep dive into content and and and and even the brand of what is hip hop? Right, But back to the music, because that's the finishing point. Like we was talking about Sexy read to me, who has a fantastic job of brand Her brand is a one any of us, all four of us, could see Sexy Red on the street and we know her right too. We know everything internally she represents, like if I ask y'all different things, expressions and where she's from We know her marketing, we know her outfit, we know her morals. But I think her true problem lies in the music. Like her music is really great ideas, but they're not finished. The ideas are not produced and finished. And that's why if you look at her on the chart, her chart performance is never great even with all that attention, Like it's great for any hip hop artist, right, because that's dope, Like she's getting close to the top forty, right, she's forty six or fifty seven or sixty something, right, which is incredible for urban acts. But hip hop has already paved a way to the top ten on the Billboard Hot one hundred charts. So there's no excuse any longer to only be you know, outside of it. Now you have a trail blaze for thirty years since Doctor dreading them. They have trail blaze the path directly to consistent hit records for hip hop. And I think musically, what's wrong we've talked about this is when I study all the time before me, even the generation that still is right before me. Remember, like you had to pretty much know something about music to make it. Still generation is kind of the first generation that didn't know shit about music to start making music, making records, but they still was connected closer to musicians. And the ones who went and embodied and found musicians did well, right, the Doctor Dre's, the DJ Quicks, the guys who went and found musicians.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: But now we're in a crazier situation because when Stell was growing up, they had the drum machine. The drum machine was new right when still was a little kid, right, craft Works and then introduced it, fucking you know to the hip hop and then you know Planet A, you know Planet Rock, you know, bamming them got it and start making records, and the hip hop started using the drum machine, cutting down the time to get to finish records.
Speaker 2: Well, if I can get real quick, gee, sure, I'm gonna tell you what had a profound impact on today versus you know when I was coming up, is it was mandatory music.
Speaker 1: Before we get there, before we get there, before we.
Speaker 2: Hear me all real quick, because this goes right into what you're saying right now.
Speaker 1: We had to take music and as a class.
Speaker 3: Right, it wasn't a choice.
Speaker 2: I believe when you when they cut those programs off, bro, I think you saw the decline and then I think that's what happened.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't think it, And that's the point. I don't think it's just the decline of the music classes. I do agree with you in a sense because that affected my generation, me and p generation right whise we got down there. Now we didn't know, but remember the drum machine helped your generation get from not being able to play the drums to having drums to sample over right outside of the sampler. They was able to use a drum machine in their fingers and make a rhythm. Yeah, now it's even worse because technology has came full circle and there's much they're like, they're way less barriers of entry, Like now with a laptop, anybody could get in.
Speaker 4: Did you ever see the movie Multiplicity from like the nineties with Michael Keaton.
Speaker 1: No, I remember hearing about it.
Speaker 4: It's a stupid goofball comedy movie or whatever. But he's a guy. He's just like a dad in the suburbs or whatever the hell, and somehow he clones himself and makes a guy. He had his clones number, his number two, and he calls him two so he could split up the work of being like working being a good dad all this other shit, and then two clones himself to three, and now he's three times, but three isn't quite what one is. And then three closes them off the four and fourst borderline retarded. So the more you clone away from the original, the further the generations, the way you get the worst and worst kind of the quality becomes. As you're taking a sample of a sample, a sample of a sample.
Speaker 1: You keep copying something in black ink. If you copy copy, eventually the paper becomes.
Speaker 4: You take a picture of a picture, and then a picture of a picture of a picture, and then you take a picture of a picture of a picture of pictures a little foggy.
Speaker 1: So I think now that even drum machines, right, because drum machines, in stealing them time was really more expensive. When I talked to warring a different people, drum machines were really expensive, So there was still they wasn't quite as expensive as drums themselves where you needed talent. But you know, I mean, because you do need some for drum machines. It's not completely void, but it's less than you need for drums to make it up and recorded. Right, But the drummer sheet.
Speaker 5: What's considered expensive then for a drum machine.
Speaker 1: How much wisdom NPCs when you were younger still that you remember.
Speaker 3: Shoot man thirty five hundred three thousand.
Speaker 1: Dollars that got damn car.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was like a fantasy. It was like, Man, I've never be auld have had one of those. I remember, I remember.
Speaker 6: Yeah, even in the growing up in the nineties, it was still like they cost that much.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so no sailings gl.
Speaker 4: In.
Speaker 1: This s motherfucker. This is the third part to my three part series. Hopefully caught the first two. This is the third version. But this is like my personal hip hop stimulus kind of summarizing about three and a half four hours to help really truly clear out a lot of the congestion, like Pete saying, which is dope? How you comparing it to the gold standards? So Pete is obviously here. My man Joey west Side, he was a part of the first two conversations, so we got him back. Joey west Side, one half of the La Giants rap group by the Los Angeles My Big Brother Manager podcast or Extraordinaire Steele who they just did a million downloads on Gangster Chronicles last year for the six seasons, so we won in the seven season.
Speaker 2: So congract one seven and be more precise.
Speaker 1: Okay, on the way to seven one point because it's not two. Yeah, it should be more round down. Uh So, long story short, like still saying right, So it's thirty five hundred dollars to get SP or MPC.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Guess what that eliminated a lot of people that was playing. You couldn't just wake up one day and play with it, right, It wasn't no joke. Fast forward to twenty twenty four. You can get a laptop for one hundred dollars, or you can get your phone on a payment and download fucking fruity loops and at that point people can buy your music. So we're so far away from people having to really be serious about it. Yet it's enough people that's taking a chance to try to program. So what you have is a lot more program ideas than produced ideas. It's like how we would you know, witnessing the rids of toob movies where you have now the equipment is much less, so now you have less barriers of entry for creators.
Speaker 4: It's fascinating that the expansion of participation has resulted in the homogenization of the result. That is fucking bizarre.
Speaker 3: That is bizarre.
Speaker 1: Say that when we're time for joe because Joey's staring at your motherfucking man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the expansion participation so twenty five years ago because you weeded out only the super super motivated who really wanted to invest themselves. Twenty people right, made all the beats. Whatever the number was. Now it's twenty thousand because any idiot can do it. So you have way more ideas, way more mind power, way more creative contribution on moss. Yet thirty years ago versus today, it's way more homogenized.
Speaker 3: Sound.
Speaker 4: Everything sounds everybody's shit sounds the same. Yet there's way more creative effort being put in on a broad scale than there used to be. If they got a out of twenty thousand, now it sounds the same.
Speaker 6: Man, we was able to tell producers apart, like we knew who did well when you heard it, to the point where if they said this person produced it, you was excited to hear like, oh he did.
Speaker 5: Let me see what this sound like?
Speaker 6: You Timbolins sound like tim Cat, sound like cat, Quick, sound like Quick like Dre.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean neptunes.
Speaker 6: And now, man, it's just a you man, you're right, it's just like awesome. Everybody got the same program.
Speaker 1: But what's funny is, to Peat's point, I think there's less creativity. I think there's more just programming. It's more calculator work, more follow instructions, listen to this uh artist type beats. So there's less creative. There's less creativity. I mean that's probably not true. Probably on the scale, there's gonna be more. But because there's so much fucking fizz at the top of the fucking beer, you know what I mean, you could never even take advantage of how much beer is in the glass versus how much beer used to be in the glass, because now at this point it's just the top of the motherfucker got all the fucking fizz and what you call that shit, the SuDS or the beer, and that motherfucker take up have to cut. But the point I was saying is you're gonna still have to invest and take some of these programmed ideas and have them produced. Still, you have to take a lot of these programmed ideas, and once you finish the idea yourself, you put your lyrics on you have them produced by somebody that's still at the next level. And I think that's where the creativity truly lies. Like, that's the one thing that nobody can argue about with cancel these nuts, trust me, people if they can slander me, because every it's so many people that don't agree with my opinion right now. But the one thing they gonna do when they press play is gonna be like they can say, oh man, it's west. They gonna know that shit is tough. And that's because.
Speaker 3: All the the.
Speaker 1: Ideas are produced. So they could have started off program but they gonna end up produced. It's like, but nigga that was making a two B movie took it to a bomb ass editor and a bomb ass colorist, you feel me. Even though when he recorded it he may didn't have the best sound. He might didn't have the best camera. Man, he might didn't have the best, you know, equipment. But if you take it to a true pro editor, you still will end up with some fucking quality crazy shit. It may not be the top level shit like, cause you do start. Like one thing I realized when I was working on Glasshouse two. We was chasing Dre's mixing right. We was chasing two thousand and one, and I remember spending over twenty thousand dollars chasing the sound that was two thousand and one and not even being close. But what I realized before anybody told me his shit started dre mixing starts at the production. He's gonna have a specific style of kick that that kick started with. It's not gonna probably be that kick, or he gonna take fucking days and days of mixing that fucking kick or clap. Most times, he starts with a certain level of quality sound to make it work. So even his finishing in the mix, the final mix of the song where you balance the sound, is gonna be better because they started to work early. So I'm not saying somebody that's making a two B movie, you're gonna make Friday, you know what I mean? Most likely you're not gonna get a two B movie that's gonna be as quality or as great as Friday, because they started with quality things to start with, right, But you can end up with a much better product and a much more respectable piece if you actually let somebody produce and finish.
Speaker 5: It, like mixing a two track or something.
Speaker 1: It's like still like like like like excuse me, Like Pete said the gold standard, if you take today's money and buy gold, gold is still gonna be gold. Even if it ain't as much gold as it once was yesterday. Gold still gold, right, you know what I mean? Like, like you know, gold is what perhaps right now, Pete was two thousand rod about eighteen nineteen. So if you spend two thousand of today's money on gold, on the ounce of gold, still gold, So you can have that gold. That gold is gonna move with the currency, no matter what. If currency gets too inflated, that god gonna be worth thirty two hundred. Now you didn't get it when it was four hundred. You just started early.
Speaker 3: Enough in the production of it. But you could fix it.
Speaker 1: And I think that's what needs to happen. But that also requires us to repair the relationship we have with hip hop fathers and music fathers. I'm thinking about. We always talk about how great the Chronic is. We always talk about how great Doggy Style is. People don't know how many people contributed to those records that were real people from a different era of great music.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Maybe don't realize the Chronic was recorded right at Solar where they had access to musicians, quality equipment, really talented ears. You know, fucking Dick Griffy, Rest in peace from Solar. Solar is Responsible. That's a record label, Sounds of Los Angeles Recording. It's a record label that gave us the Whispers, right, that gave us the deal. That's where baby Face and La Reid came from. They gave us the Mi Max. They gave us a a lot of dope shit. Yeah you know what I'm saying. So they recorded the Chronic at that studio with access to musicians and the ear as great as Dick Griffy. So even if dre you know, who was already ten years in at this point, roughly he can have It's like when I would go to Skip, say they have Skip come in the room. It's just gonna be certain things he gonna know better. So I think where hip hop needs to really, what they need to truly, what hip hop truly needs to fix itself musically, is they have to start connecting with music. You know, I mean they have to connect with music. They gotta get back connected with music. You can't just say I can do this myself. James Brown couldn't say I could do this. Myself.
Speaker 3: I get it.
Speaker 1: Prince MIGHTA Prince is probably that one dude that that I do this myself. You niggas ain't Prince, ain't.
Speaker 6: Prince man, they say they're self talk over now, how many instruments?
Speaker 1: Who the fuck? I would not be trying to take that fucking road.
Speaker 5: Yeah that's different man.
Speaker 1: He was a different dude, And I don't give a fuck. And honestly, let's be honest, some people care about that. Listen, man, The final product is the only thing that mattered. The final product is the only thing that matter.
Speaker 5: Because you got people that I can play but can't produce.
Speaker 1: Hands down, because they're two different journeys, right, They're two different journeys. They're two different journeys. It's just because the equipment is like much more affordable, like because there's less barriers of entry. That don't mean you shouldn't respect the craft. So you always should be trying to connect yourself to the legacy and the rich history of what it is you do.
Speaker 3: If if you.
Speaker 1: Are in music, you should be trying to connect. If you're from LA and you make any level of G funk like Adjasent cash right or shout out to Jay shout out to Perico, shout out to certain homies, and they make any level of connection of funk. There's no way battle Casts should not be in your mix eventually. Now, maybe you can't afford battle Cat to do a whole album. Maybe if you're in Atlanta, you can't afford to do Toop a whole album. Maybe if you and you in New York, you can't afford Swiss to do a whole album. Maybe if you're in the Midwest, you can't afford Trackster to do a whole album. But that don't mean you shouldn't be using their contributions to your production. Maybe you can go to them and say, hey, man, I just need a baseline. Hey, I just need you to figure out what's wrong with this. I got this. Their knowledge is worth it. Now again, we could all be arrogant and talk about where we at in time, and oh, I could be anybody somewhere along the line. Somebody lied to rappers and told them that they need to be the most confident.
Speaker 3: In the move.
Speaker 1: I'm tired of hearing rad niggas talking about I supposed to feel like I'm the best. No, you fucking not, No, you are fucking not because you are fucking not the best. I heard a motherfucker, oh Domi Simba said he was better than fucking Eminem and I got mad as a motherfucker. I caught his manager. I said, Cuz, this nigga is tripping. Well, hold on, no, he is not supposed to feel like he's fucking better than Eminem. And I'm tired of niggas feeling like they need to feel like some way that they didn't fucking earn. How the fuck are you better than somebody? But doing something thirty fucking years and now inside and out, you're not ridiculously ignorant and arrogant. You gotta think so all you motherfuckers that think you better than some of these motherfuckers, that's your.
Speaker 5: Problem professionally doing it that long, professionally.
Speaker 1: At the highest level.
Speaker 2: Man, So you don't think at some point the MC should feel like they're the greatest.
Speaker 1: No, why the fuck would you think you're the fucking greatest?
Speaker 3: You the greatest? Who kooggie rap?
Speaker 1: Why the fuck do I care? I'm telling you, no, you shouldn't. You shouldn't feel like that way till you check some fucking boxes.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think you should come out the gate saying you better than somebody. I think that's disrespectful. But I think if you a pioneer, like I think if you a rock Kim or But you know what, though, if you ever noticed a rock Kim would never come out and say I'm.
Speaker 1: To say that one. Everybody else is gonna say.
Speaker 3: It for he ain't gotta say.
Speaker 2: To say that stuff. I think Hold is here, he's the best.
Speaker 1: That's part of his marketing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and he didn't check some boxes too.
Speaker 1: And he put in some work.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But niggas that's feeling like they should be able to claim the title something that they didn't put nowhere near enough working to earn. And they're not even curious to figure out the work. That's fucking delusion. Like I do think you need. I was telling Joey this earlier. I genuinely believe you need a little bit of delusion to be successful in his life, to thrive, you gotta believe some delusion. But these niggas is by this ship is schizophrenic at this point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it just it just gets ridiculous at time.
Speaker 6: What we what we what we seeing a lot now is that people are just remember we were talking about how people.
Speaker 5: Don't formulate their own opinions.
Speaker 6: No more like and it be it be people just saying ship that ain't ain't even tapped in. They don't even listen it like and it just starts saying some shit is bad or something, or you better. It's like you're not even listening to what's going on, because if you were, you wouldn't say this, you wouldn't cast certain people trash if you was really listening.
Speaker 1: I used to have this conversation with my Mexican homies. Write that rap that rhyme and shit right means in trash, and they used to try to tell me how good they didn't think Little Rob was, how good they didn't think baby Bash was. And I remember telling them, like them dudes is really good.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: No, they don't sound like jay Z. They don't sound like Nas. They're not supposed to sound like fucking jay Z or fucking Nas.
Speaker 3: Ever it would be able.
Speaker 2: To Rob was actually pretty amazing. Though he was not amazing. He was an amazing writer as well.
Speaker 1: He's a fantastic But I get why because if you're comparing greatness right when you're listening to music one specific person, then you miss the greatness of what makes hip hop great. That one thing I've realized is you like, there is truly no one best person, right, there's a person that rap can like, hip hop can be as good as it can get with certain people, like people really feel a certain way when I have these takes, are these ideas. Snoop is as good as hip hop can be. Snoop in his prime is as great as jay Z in his prime. Any day of the week. It don't matter that Snoop don't got enough, he don't got the bars that you think as bars. What he has is so perfected right that it makes him as great as hip hop can happen. Bust Rhyme is another one that is great as hip hop can happen. Little Wayne, They're as great as it can be. Now, wherever you argue up in that that penthouse and argue with them niggas, the scarfaces, the nas is, you know, the niggas all in that pinhouse that's up there, Eminem's Kanye. You gonna argue all you want to. Then it becomes preference.
Speaker 3: Bro that.
Speaker 2: Those names that you're speaking, man, those are upper excell line. And I do feel what you're saying, Man, I do think because when I hear people talk about talk about like a star face or nas not on hear that reverence in their voice or that enthusiasm, I tell them they just not listening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't want to listen. You just refusing to listen.
Speaker 2: Now, I do think there's a I do think there are some amazing young artists. This is there's a couple of rappers I like. I think Joey is incredible. We talk about that all the time. But I do think that you've got to show some respects for the architects.
Speaker 1: And you gotta put in some fucking work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, I'm just.
Speaker 1: You know, I mean, you gotta put in some fucking work.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm there for any artists that then checked off the boxes, even if I think they underwhelming, I gotta respect the fact that they they didn't checked out, you know what I mean. If you gotta hit record, you got a record that worked, I respect that.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: Simbo dope as fuck. He ain't fucking Eminem fucking good. Yeah he can somewhere to my boy, you tripping man.
Speaker 5: Eminem is a fucking robot.
Speaker 1: There is nobody am seeing at no high level that won't tell you that motherfucker is not fantastic. He may not do some of these niggas top five because he younger than them, or they came out at the same time.
Speaker 6: Like he probably write his fucking lyrics like math problems.
Speaker 5: Boy he different.
Speaker 1: He after School of Rock Ken to me just with a little extra twist, Yeah he. But certain people Bust Rhymes is like that. Buster Rhymes is as good as hip hop can happen.
Speaker 3: Amazing, amazing.
Speaker 1: Some of these dudes, Ice Prime, Ice Q is as great as hip hop can happen. It don't get greater any of them do to one an MVP, we need to have a podcast about that and give an MVP and a Rookie of the Year away for the first twenty years of hip hop.
Speaker 3: Maybe we need.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we need to do that. On no sens, We're gonna do that the next time. We're gonna I'm gonna do a MVP and I'm gonna nominate it myself as the Fear because I can't let everybody vote on it. I'm wise, nothing know, but I think that's important. But again, back to the music, man, you have to connect with the rest of the body parts. You gotta get back to the rest of everything with this shit. You gotta get back to the real musical parts. Now, that don't mean you get rid of your programmer. That's programming your music, right, that's programming your shit. You need to get with a record producer to finish the record, to help you finish the record, And yeah, it's not gonna be easy, and yeah it might cost you a couple of pennies, but trust me, my boy, it's worth it. In the loan run. Record are programmed, but they aren't produced, and they'd be good ideas and maybe something can happen. You know, I've seen a lot of songs get dances that take them into gold status, that take them into platinum status, you know what I mean, some people getting lucky, you know, Shout Out the Blue Face, the Tatiana and Dead Luks. These are like early records on in his career, probably like within his first ten or twenty records if I remember correctly. But then the problem is getting the rest of them. Like we should all be in this shit to be Snoop Dogg or Ice QE or too Short or e forty or Scarface or Outcast or Kanye or but now.
Speaker 3: To be.
Speaker 5: Artists and wanting to be the these niggas want to be, you.
Speaker 1: Know, Garry Jones, Flowers, Larry Joe Nigga talk to me about Larry Jone music. I'm like, I think like uncles the ship that Uncle Larry Cole comes, but goddamn out of the bay that's like a nigga getting the NBA and be like, I want to be Ricky Ruby.
Speaker 2: Talking about I'm gonna tell you somebody when it comes to Bay Area. L A too Short as the fucking goat. We talked about that the other day. Gee, and the motherfucker can rap, too Short and he can produce, and he can produce. You just don't stay around. You don't have a forty fucking year career without being great. That motherfucker is still relevant ever made before.
Speaker 1: Where he's making more money that he ever made before. Right now, Too Short told me nigga making more money than I ever made before.
Speaker 6: And it all started from and he said it from the game. Don't stop rapping.
Speaker 2: He don't stop rapping. And the cold part about him is he don't do movies. He not out doing this. He now it's too short, it's just a rapper.
Speaker 5: And he's respected by every top tier artist you can think.
Speaker 3: Of, North, Southeast, and West.
Speaker 1: And he's a producer. And yeah, that's another thing that has went by over years. For the first ten years of his career, he's a producer, Starface producer man. He wouldn't see his name next to Mike name or next to n O Joe names, so they don't realize his contribution.
Speaker 3: You care about all that bullshit?
Speaker 1: Well, they seen him on a tiny that's strumming that fucking guitar. This motherfucker play the guitar. That's that's you.
Speaker 2: She I think those that knew knew, But Scarface is a music dude, that motherfucker. I wouldn't you know Scarface Man wants to make a rock album, doll. He said that he feels like every album he's made it ain't ship until he make his Dark Side of the Moon, his Verse, the pingk Floyd.
Speaker 1: As you should. That's a great album.
Speaker 2: And a lot of people don't know it was that is anybody out there he had that was influenced by all that. That's him playing the motherfucking guitar on that motherfucker. It sound like some dirt, some rock shit.
Speaker 6: That's why it's important to know records. So that's what exactly, because when you know records, it may it make your job as a producer and an MC easier. It's a cheat code when you know them records, man, especially like so like the ship we grew up on, Man, them niggas knew. They had a mental roller decks to all the records. Like when I look at my Pops record collection, Man, he got everything. I'll be finding out what I didn't like, Like I didn't even know certain songs was just instrumentals, like when I heard some popular instrumental songs or whatever, like like damn, that was never no lyrics to this beat.
Speaker 3: This is just a beat, a popular.
Speaker 4: Like it's like the opposite of a cheat code, because a cheat code is doing something without doing the work. That's the actual work, you know, to learn all that shit. And I feel like, yeah, I feel like you to.
Speaker 6: Somebody like me like they did, so now you gotta do. But I still gotta do. Now I just gotta go listen to it and figure it out. And and it's a.
Speaker 1: Man dope scar faces chasing Dark Side of the Moon. That's how you can tell he's a music person's records. He's not just the brand to act like, yeah, he's not for me. If I was chasing my, My, My, My, Magnus Opus record would probably be probably just another way to say I love you by Berry White. That's what my gays the rad record would be like what that representative music?
Speaker 2: I think we all got something that week. Chasing Bro and sometimes man, it could kind of hunk you, you know, chasing the Chasing Thervauno. I recorded and probably a hundred songs for Cereal Lon Water and still could never get it right. Not what I heard in my head and I would put our pits and pieces over the years of it, but just the level of musicianship that I needed, Bro, that I was trying to attain because I was actually chasing Marvin Gaye's album.
Speaker 1: Which album, the one with.
Speaker 2: Doom Doom, Doom, Doom Doom, that that Inner City Blues. I would chasing Inner City Blues with that because I wanted I wanted that album to where if somebody found it one hundred years from now, they would see what they would fill with Cleveland look like you feel what I mean? They would be able to listen to the album and fill with Cleveland, Ills like that.
Speaker 1: What he I'm from Cleveland though, no, he said, is that with Marvin Gay.
Speaker 3: From Oh No, that's not where he's from.
Speaker 2: But that album, Man, for the times that we were in, it was real pivotal in my life. Is My mom used to play that record when I was a little kid all the time, and I would clean up and stuff and it just because you got to remember at the time she was playing it, we lived in the basement of an apartment building. You know, they got apartments and basements and ship like that, to where you can look out the window but you see.
Speaker 3: The ground and I would see the corner.
Speaker 2: And you would see the people walking across the street. And you know, I didn't know this until years later, but those were prostitutes.
Speaker 3: And hustlers and everything else that was living right outside my building. You think of that. You hear the music, it's just the music.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Yeah, that's dope.
Speaker 3: Hear that.
Speaker 2: And I always wanted to chase that. That's why Cyrial Little Water was never designed for me to do all the rapping on song. But I was gonna be writing every song and have a lot of like R and B on there.
Speaker 1: Man, he wanted them do it all as niggas too well.
Speaker 2: I was writing this ship I could and it was you sho wouldn't got Eddie LeVert.
Speaker 6: You know what time out the album, they won't. So give me that don't be cruel, give me a dope.
Speaker 1: Be cue you chase one album would party. I would have never thought that.
Speaker 3: Man. I love record, man, I love the music.
Speaker 1: We were gonna be extra partied than for like, don't be cruel.
Speaker 5: Man, I love the music behind that shit.
Speaker 1: Man, that's a great gaming album. I would have never thought that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, but this is my point. If we all noticed, then really we should be connecting like any other artists into that into that era of shit like we should. We don't have to carry, you know, and hip hop. Hip hop is really great at bringing people together. You know what I mean. We don't have to carry the load of everything. There is no extra credit in carrying the load of everything. Nobody own this. Fucking Michael Jackson is still more famous than Prince. Nobody get the Only the niggas who care about that care that Prince played all that shit the most you knew.
Speaker 2: I think, man, people get caught up and doing everything because.
Speaker 3: Even if you feel if I would have got an Eddie Lavert, I don't think he would have nailed the way I wanted it, the way I envisioned it.
Speaker 2: He got a bit, he'd have been close to it. But I had certain in my mind what I wanted.
Speaker 1: Your mind is bullshit. It's Eddie Lavert from the old day. I got a bitch, Eddie gonna tell you black well, that's not what I had in mind.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you find.
Speaker 1: Because he Edie Eddie, Please cuss this nigma out and listens. So this is what I have in my mind.
Speaker 2: You know who I should have had involved in it. I should have had Eddie Love involved in it. I swear my dad is probably the greatest songwriter of all time. Man, sure, but you also could have had ed Lavert. That's okay, could advert and you know, man, how tortured my dad is?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: My dad missed the Motown meeting men because his brother dog.
Speaker 1: How did you ever work with other Ohio artists?
Speaker 3: I would for sure.
Speaker 1: So you was making an Ohio a Cleveland album without touching no other Cleveland niggas.
Speaker 2: No bone thus was gonna be heavily involved in it. The production still, the production of it.
Speaker 3: You know what that nigga?
Speaker 1: Hold up, Hold up, I really don't like how you just tried to get that ed LeVert.
Speaker 2: We have a dog, I wouldn't. I would have loved to work with him. I would have loved to have that dog. I would have loved to have that.
Speaker 3: You know is p.
Speaker 1: Yeah from the old Ja this niggas as that ain't what I got in my head? What's in your head? Got Edward LeVert?
Speaker 2: Nigga, that would have been the ship And that's why album you want to I should have want to got an apartment up there and put all the studio equipment up in there and recorded that motherfucker with Cleveland.
Speaker 1: I believe in that.
Speaker 4: What's the what's the name of the theater up up by the observatory at the at the top end of Vermont av Way up there in the hills observatory. Naw, there's a musical venue there at the outdoor venue.
Speaker 1: Oh, I went there, one Greek right, Yeah, no, no, it might.
Speaker 3: Be that's a theater, the Greek theater.
Speaker 4: Yeah, outdoor outdoor one concert amphitheater. I know I seen him there. I seen him perform there.
Speaker 1: Nigga just got an air LeVert like, well, that's not what's in my head. You better change with in your motherfucking head.
Speaker 2: Nigga, No, no, no, I would never never. I would never here.
Speaker 1: There trying to produce on the love of money right now that I don't really like how that sound. Ed we need to change that for the love of money. I don't like that. If you need to go lower the nigga is Edward LeVert eddie nigga, you ain't getting no kinsman dand you didn't get nobody from Kinsman, no das Man, no das man members. See all, it's so like like.
Speaker 2: That would have been you know what. She We might still we could still do it. I'm probably waves sharper today than.
Speaker 3: I was thinking.
Speaker 1: But you're not gonna do it now?
Speaker 2: Yes, I will. I do that to finish that, to complete that. That's my last one.
Speaker 1: Put the verse on the saw that you said you was gonna put on the you.
Speaker 2: Know what, as soon as I'm able to do it, I'm I'm gonna go do that ship today. As a matter of fact, that's EP. I don't call you twice.
Speaker 1: EP you went to housewife and never did it.
Speaker 3: No, he had something to do that then that was it to day.
Speaker 2: As a matter of fact, for you, I think artists get older, they get scared.
Speaker 3: I need you to wrap it for me.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, I said, he can't rap it for you.
Speaker 3: You gotta rap over man. I don't have I don't need nobody to wrap my ship for me. Man, you gotta be fucked up. I know you know that's all.
Speaker 5: But you didn't wrap it.
Speaker 3: You didn't do it twice. Yes, Sam, I'm gonna go get that ship done.
Speaker 1: Then the last time you recorded a rap verse?
Speaker 3: Every day? I wrap every day a rap verse. It ain't gonna it, ain't gonna take no time, just suver like deuce. Man.
Speaker 1: Hey, hold up, still, Look, we're gonna let you wrap right now on no seilings for the no seilings. Let's see if my big listen. Let me tell y'all something. Whoever listening to this fucking pie, My big brother used to be ice cold on the mic, man, like it used to be.
Speaker 3: Ship.
Speaker 1: Your pen and is still sharp? Your pen is still sharp. I don't know if you still sharp in front of a microphone rapping.
Speaker 4: I learned that less than forty eight hours ago.
Speaker 1: This is the microphone right here, right get off. Kick some hard.
Speaker 2: I'm a bust. The first I was gonst I'm a bust from that thing. Kick it.
Speaker 3: That's some.
Speaker 1: Don't read it if you don't know about now that you ain't ready.
Speaker 3: I'll know this ship.
Speaker 1: Nigga ain't look down wrapping, put the mic up and go.
Speaker 3: Look at the niggas at the death they yore phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I let that go. Pair of alegic form of cops taking shots. I know, and that smoked out wingie, but it stopped that blow. Niggas think it's a game till I cocked that foe. Reduce them down to a stain. Come and mop that hole. Niggas hit the ground here first and feet last. Treat them like pinattas and knock money out. The ass had gangs the twenties, go and mention my name ran with the tree tops. So boaters with insans pop niggas for plot. The ain't no stopping my ring. Never bangle had a thing in kind of rock in the cane. Eighty nine had to sackle on high and Nana hind slept. Anybody whispering about mine. You could see me with Fabbi or Peter Eric Eay Black Jackey made slang it look easy. Yeah, I want of those. That's easy though. Come on, man and Michael, that was good.
Speaker 1: Listen, your pen is crazy. But that flow it's been a long time. You have to punch that.
Speaker 3: I ain't ready to punch that ship.
Speaker 1: You think you're right.
Speaker 5: There, bro, when you stand it up, you gotta put that mic high as the mother.
Speaker 2: And quick tell them, nigga that ship. You just hold your voice up like this. Put that night up here.
Speaker 1: You don't even know this ship by heart. Still I do know this ship by heart. Wrap it this thing, stop right here, stop looking down the rabbit.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 2: I turned the phone over bullets for remind niggas up the death STAYO few pussy speaking my name? Yeah, I let that go there. Police it form of cops taking shotside know and that smoked out winny. But to cut that blow, niggas think it's a game to like cock that foat, reduce them down to a stained coming mocked that hole. Niggas hit the ground head first and feet last, treat them light thin yachts and knock money out. They ass, she don't you where I got?
Speaker 3: That's finished.
Speaker 2: Finish it, man, I ain't gotta finish them up.
Speaker 3: Ship my heart.
Speaker 1: It's doubted way better when you wrapped it by heart. But you don't know the.
Speaker 3: He's going mixture my name.
Speaker 2: So voters with insans pop niggas for flop, ain't no stopping my rain.
Speaker 3: That thing with that a thing that kind of rocking the cane eighty nine.
Speaker 2: Had a second on high on that behind slip anybody whispering up our mind. You can see me with Fabby par Peter, Eric Easie, Black Jackey made slang it look easy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm one of those.
Speaker 1: I always remember one ship all right, you might be out.
Speaker 3: You got a little verse, all right, it's a dope verse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm about to go lay that motherfucker and I'm gonna have EP recorded so y'all can see. I'm gonna do it one time, and I may just come back and do a couple of other tracks, do my over dubs and ship.
Speaker 6: He is just the one take Yeah, put that and they too ass what nigga, their fans and new comics mean as a motherfucker nigga.
Speaker 2: Man, you know what Charlemagne told me one.
Speaker 5: Day though, that's just that's a dope verse though.
Speaker 2: You know what Charlotne ain't told me one day, dog that if niggas ain't in your comments.
Speaker 1: Hate and you ain't made it, That's what I agree.
Speaker 3: He told me that.
Speaker 2: With these people, and you know what I found out too, them be your biggest fans. You know how many times I don't had niggas cuss me out and tell me I ain't shit, only to come back and say steal like he's want to apologize? Man, you know all about da man, them as motherfuckers. We don't know dogs trying to get your attention. You think I give a fuck about a niggas in a comment if anything, if anything, you know what, if anything, they're making you engagement higher because the nigga that hates you go comment more than a dude to like you. How many times if you went out your way to go comment on somebody that you like.
Speaker 4: That's the yelp there. You're gonna always thumb your one star restaurant that sucks up your burger. You never gonna give credits to the best place.
Speaker 3: You just never do.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 3: It's like this.
Speaker 2: I remember, man, when Glasses when he was new last was so upset because the motherfucker was fucking with him.
Speaker 3: You remember that shiit.
Speaker 1: She wanted to find that nigga.
Speaker 2: She really wanted to find this nigga. I said, bro, you this is exercise and futility. You never go find that motherfucker. But you know what I do think. I think we paid too much attention to the motherfuckers that say fucked up shit to us, versus us commending the motherfuckers to tell us what they like what we're doing.
Speaker 1: I agree. I made that change about two months ago.
Speaker 2: It's yet the way, Dog, I followed one back, and I do all that shit and tell them thanks because that shit you do it, you know you appreciate that shit is a motherfucker. How many times if we went and told our favorite artists we liked them.
Speaker 3: He struggled with them.
Speaker 1: It is like if I would have never saw Scarnface in Persian, he would have never knew what I felt about his music.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying, Dog, And I know that shit mean a lot to them because I tell Willie D. When I kicked one of Willie D's rhymes back to him, he get to smile this ship. He finished the shit sometimes, But that's dope. You got a little mother fu know how you feel when they.
Speaker 1: Hear dog One time I was we was me, Duce Joey was a grip of us and Duce mcgarage and the click be about your paper came on and I facetim be legit with us all rapping, and you could just see him smiling like you know what I mean, Like that that ship is. It's dope to be able to tell even like when like I'll notice when I'm talking about Dog like I didn't never know how much he paid attention, you know what I mean, how much he sees the ship I'm saying to where it's like, damn, this nigga know his ship.
Speaker 2: Dog is definitely a coach, ly aware, a dude man. He and I will say this about dog Man, whether it's prime Snoop Dogg from ninety two, ninety three or now Snoop Dogg is one of the He's a great rapper. Dog like he may not be snooping freestyle like a motherfucker. You gotta Freestyleah what I'm saying, this nigga got records freestyling.
Speaker 1: See shit, Bro, you don't got to convince me. I keep telling y'all, been telling y'all this ship for a while. You know what's funny, mass I was trying to tell this to somebody. I was like, I've never heard Snoop get served on the song, you know what I mean? Like this is gonna sound crazy, but whatever I heard him do is as good as it's gonna be on the song.
Speaker 5: I felt that way about too Short.
Speaker 1: Too Short is another dude, Yeah, because you can't. They know their style so perfect that it's hard to out wrap them. It don't even matter what you're doing when you're on the song was short because Short gonna come through and be the best version of Short. And honestly, that's what I've been trying to master more than anything when we do records, you know what I mean. I'm still working on mastering that where it's like it don't matter how good Joey doesn't record or Duce doesn't record. When you hear Glasses, you know what time it is, and it's like, man, that niggas sound good. Now there's always will be niggas asking, oh what about Snoop on this song with jay Z, And it's like, if you like a style I don't remember ever hearing. It's not like when I heard Renegade with eminem and jay Z where I was like, these niggas is both rapping for it, you know what I mean. Snoop is always gonna be Snoop. Honestly, to me, one of Snoop's greatest comparison is too Short, you know what I mean, because they kind of do yeah, they do the same thing to where it's hard to top. Like when you're on the song with Snoop, Snoop, it's gonna be Snoop and that ship is just like no no, no, no hip hop personality. You know, outside of d MX, it's probably as Buster Rides and DMX are the only ones that have that kind of personality, whereas like they can beat them every time, and it's just as prolific is Snoop being Snoop?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean? You huh? And free free you free? Yeah?
Speaker 4: On the next tier say free and I'll say like, like mystical, mystical is that down that darn't triple quadruple platinum.
Speaker 2: But this is the one thing I say is too Short and Snoop maintain their character at all times. You ain't never heard Snoop and too Short coming with the Iggity Biggitie ship or none of the other ship. You know, you should get other niggas that might try to try different styles and ship like that.
Speaker 6: The rapping like that, nigga do not give me no boy boy too. Shorts Flow may not be mad as the mother fucker.
Speaker 2: Pita Ptita all that ship man imber.
Speaker 1: Up doing it. It did sound different. It was like I could take it for one record, right. I loved it on forgot about dre but then just jokes. So niggas don't think I'm this And I thought the migos was incredible. I think them niggas can rap the well, that's what makes them special. Can't nobody do that?
Speaker 2: The ass off I used to, but I was ignorant and I come from that era two dollars the way you just didn't bite niggas shit like that.
Speaker 3: You did what you did and let the mother niggas do what they do.
Speaker 2: One of I'm glad I ain't Glasses doing doing those double time reps.
Speaker 1: I got something too, but just to show but I do it the way Glasses does it. What's funny is one of one of the greatest moments as in MC was the song I did on eight last album, and I just feel like I got to a place to where I was so comfortable with who I was and what I do that it didn't even matter what nobody else do at that point.
Speaker 6: That's how I want to be all the time too, Like you just know you bringing what you're supposed to bring to the table. That shit all that, Like, I want to have the best verse energy and shit, I don't give a fuck about that ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you just got to do your ship, man, And I know one thing I'm trying to link up right now. I want to see glasses. I want to see y'all do that record with Project Pat. But I want Project Pat the Rappers and West Coast ship. I think that should sound crazy.
Speaker 1: It might sound funny, Man, Pat be needing that space to do that ship that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the tempo what could be too fast?
Speaker 3: Maybe?
Speaker 4: Do you think.
Speaker 2: That hard.
Speaker 3: Though? Tell him?
Speaker 5: Can we get a hook.
Speaker 3: Give us?
Speaker 2: Yeah, y'all may have to go get on the Memphis record. Y'all might have to get on the myphics. You know what.
Speaker 4: That she could crush a Memphis record, your set, your your Memphis red water, Memphis beach g actually sounds his best.
Speaker 2: So the Southern beats to me. Yeah, definitely West Coast when g is on that ship that's in the dirt, slow that ship sound amazing.
Speaker 1: You got that feel Overton. But you know what, even if we look at Memphis, going back to the point of this whole podcast, maybe it's in Stacks Records.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe when we do make that record with we try to do a record with Pat J like with three six or something, we find something out of stats record catalog.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, when you see three six made their whole motherfucking thing off of Isaac Cayes, you supposed to. That's what they dig them. Niggas got all eyes. They got about three or four top teen records that's off for one isa song.
Speaker 3: My column Straight Fly. All that shit is all the same record record that made multiple songs.
Speaker 1: That's like doctor Drake. Doctor Drake did it three different times with Leo hay Woods. I Want to Do Something Freaky to You g thang, he produced something for somebody else and the watch is the same song. Yeah, boom boom, it's the second half of I Want to Do Something Freaky to You G Thinging is the first half. But again it goes back into he who knows the records have the keys to the hip hop kingo.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: You remember that record Quick did for us Shock and Peter guns.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah yeah Round on the West Side.
Speaker 6: No, no, that's the what but that's Peter Gunns on the hook too. But the other one when they both.
Speaker 3: Rapping on it, okay, and uh, and I.
Speaker 6: Remember Quick telling me like, yeah, that's what Bitch Please is. Bitch Please is just that beat just you know, slowed down.
Speaker 3: A little bit.
Speaker 5: If you go listen to that, and if you go listen, you can hear it.
Speaker 2: And niggas, that's why when Drake said he first heard the rigors puffing them was coming with he got mad because he said, I had all them records not even fun with him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, niggas gotta know the records the homework, bro.
Speaker 1: But again it's also dope because and even at that time, even with all of them sampling like puffing them didn't really fuck with funk like that. The closest would have been the two May record that that that uh, going back to Cali. No, the n two May record.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: I will say this about going back to Kelly. You can see that was kind of like their interpolation.
Speaker 1: Of what funk was Yeah, but even even that who did that mobile?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Moby it was tight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that shit was super tight. But I was thinking like like that was considered jazz and too make was considered jazz as well, right, just like like like so they might have had funky other man's right, like like with the Biggie song they sample for hipnotize that Herb Albertson rides right, that that could have a funky undertone, But it's a jazz record. So I respect even out puffing them when they stayed into jazz and R and B, you know what I mean. And I respected that Dre and them stayed and kind of to hard funk with a little blues.
Speaker 3: What about you.
Speaker 1: Girls saw Pauls with Naden corrupt boyfriend Virginia Bank, that Ben that's.
Speaker 3: A nigga fleas coach.
Speaker 2: That ship was funky the motherfucker.
Speaker 1: And yeah, when I talked to Bink about it, like his style is so versatile as a and that's to me important, Like we again, the gods have Virginian sound, right, the guys making records from Detroit. I was telling some homies from Detroit. I'm like, bro, take you out records, go try to fuck with the non go fuck with em andem Like, you don't need these niggas to rap. But if they help you finish some of these ideas with their knowledge of producing and finishing records, man, you would have a way bigger Detroit record. But the Detroit scene is exactly kind of what happens when it's just kind of stuck into just itself and you don't have the help of you know, the guys with the experience. I couldn't imagine what the chronic would have sound like if they made that just at home, with no Solar Musicians to help, no outside of the guys that that was giving them ideas. The dazz Is, the Warrens, the chris Is Christ the Glove and them shout out to the armies. But if you didn't have the ear sometime of whoever the Solar musicians was that came in and played, or you didn't have the ear of Dick Griffy coming in every now and then, it probably doesn't sound that way. It becomes hold on, it becomes some kind of programmed idea without a finished level of production.
Speaker 2: One of the things that I think them catching Detroit is fucking up too. I know, because people have a tendency to latsh onto a sound when it pops right. That dude, hell of U is probably the most influential producer in Detroit right now with the bone boom boom, them thick base lines that he you know, he came with them base lines, you know, with the bone boom boom, and you hear it an every damn song damn there Now, I don't know what the fuck you're talking about, you know, from my own ball ball with the bone boom boom every the baseline.
Speaker 1: Good looking out for tuning into the Note Sellers podcast. Please do us a favorite, subscribe, rate, common, and share. This episode is recorded right here on the West coast of the USA and produced by my homeboy A King for the Black Effect Podcast Network and iHeart Radio. Yeah