Speaker 1: Three two one zero all engine running liftoff. We have a liftof Welcome back to the solid verbal Friday Orbit Show. My name is ty Hildebrandt, joining me as always over there in Chicago, my good friend Dan Rubinstein, Sir, how are you?
Speaker 2: I am ready for an intergalactic ride of a lifetime on this UFO episode, Tye, That's how I am. We have decided on the U portions. It's the UFO show. We do it every Friday. We're a college football show.
Speaker 1: But we take on a weird kind of space quasi theme on these Friday episodes. Ultramegastar Friday Orbit is what we're I think going with today.
Speaker 2: Right, somehow an e been more mega, more ultrastar than Eastern PA's Ty hilden brand is appearing. I mean, you were just recognized in a Wegmans. It's true, fair, it is true. But we have somehow booked a star bigger than you. We've been trying to do this forever and the stars aligned tie space term and we are as you know because you've seen the episode title. We are incredibly thrilled and honored to welcome in angels in the outfield's own Matthew McConaughey.
Speaker 1: Angels in the Outfield, Dallas Buyers wrote, credit Magic, Mike, A Time to Kill Interstellar. The list goes on and on. Matthew McConaughey has been in a bunch of cool movies and he's obviously the Minister of Culture down there at the University of Texas. Huge Longhorns fan. We are so very thrilled to have him on the program. Been trying to do so for gosh. I went back years look through my email trying to get him on. So finally worked out. As he said, the stars lined, he's going to be on a little bit. We've got a bunch of cool stuff to talk about with him, including his new memoir, which we'll link up in the show notes called green Lights. I did have the good fortune to read it. It's really good, really an.
Speaker 2: Of crazy stories, worth a read, and we're crazy excited to have him on.
Speaker 1: Before we go any further, we also want to talk about what we are doing on Halloween. Dan, give me a spooky laugh. If you've got one of those, Thank you. I might have been a little Santa. I applied. It was a little bit of Santa at the end it's okay. Yeah, we're doing what we're calling the Solid Verbal live scream at seven pm Eastern on Halloween Saturday night, shortly before the Penn State Ohio State game. Will be doing it for our Patreon subscribers. Will be on Discord answering questions as we're doing our live stream. We're obviously going to talk about whatever transpires during the day games, also viewing the night games, the most notable, which is of course Ohio State Penn State. We are working on maybe trying to bring some special friends in as part of that. Don't know if we'll be able to make that happen or not, but there's potential.
Speaker 2: I mean, we're bringing McConaughey to the fold. I mean, how much can we do it on Saturday night? But I know, I know. But just to the verballers out there, I hear you.
Speaker 1: This is for the five dollars a month here to the lowest here. If you go on out to verballers dot com, if you become a certified five dollars per month verballer.
Speaker 2: Or a premium or a premium tie, it's not only certified, yeah, it's any verballer for sure.
Speaker 1: You can get access to the Halloween live scream, and you get access to any future live streams that we do in the future, depending on how this goes.
Speaker 2: I like anchoring these two holidays because we've got a great full calendar year of holidays to do these, but especially during the football season tie. It allows us to dress up, It allows us to have a theme about about the live I mean, this one is a live scream, but the streams in general. I couldn't be more excited. And the reason I'm excited is because the people who have signed up on Patreon these certified and premium verballers and potentially a benefactor of Verballer. If everything works out, we are going to be bringing emotion that we don't normally bring on Sunday mornings when we record the recap because we don't have time to put things in perspective. We're just going raw off of what we've seen and what we want to see. So what we've seen during the day what we want to see at night, and we are incredibly excited to do it with what I would consider to be the best college football fans in the world are our Patreon subscribers. It's not unfair to say so please consider joining us verballers dot com. We have a lot of excitement in going into this live scream on Saturday night at seven pm Eastern.
Speaker 1: I am drinking out of my soliverable plank glass at the moment. Are you in preparation for the bruine to do after?
Speaker 2: Committed to the brand?
Speaker 3: Hy?
Speaker 2: I like it?
Speaker 1: Committed to the brand?
Speaker 2: Okay, check that out.
Speaker 1: We will be talking with mister McConaughey shortly before we get there, though I can't yell today. My voice is just toast after a long time. You give me an aggressive like McConaughey. Ask whisper, like an intense whisper. About the breaking news, breaking news, breaking news. Three things to discuss here, Dan, Yeah, Wisconsin, Nebraska it's off. They're not playing. We previewed it, talked a lot about it. I think we both went Nebraska give an uncertainty. You may recall the line was up there around eight and a half when it opened. The news broke about Graham Mertz, Chase Wolf and Danny Van den Boom potentially being the starting quarterback due to COVID, and now it looks like that game is off, which is a bummer. Nebraska actually tried to schedule a game with Chattanooga to just find a replacement. They put a deal together that was nixed by the Big Ten. So it's not look like Nebraska's going to be playing this weekend either, despite their best efforts.
Speaker 2: Right, and Nebraska had even offered to pay for and help everything with testing for the mocks, and I think everybody sort of looked at it as a long shot. Obviously, Nebraska, when things were up in the air with the Big Ten, had sort of floated, or at least Scott Frost had floated, we'll play anyone anywhere, like a Pat Hill type enthusiasm, and that obviously didn't happen. And this is obviously not happening. So Nebraska, with an unexpected by week Wisconsin has shut down all team activities. And I did see Barry Alvarez responded to a recent report about the heart screening for myocarditis with COVID positive tests and how doc and you know, everybody's learning everything at once, essentially, but doctors are saying, you know, we're finding so little in terms of myocarditis, and we don't even know if what we are finding is due to COVID or it's due to an undetected birth situation, cardiovascular situation, and so Barry Alvarez was very quick to say, you know, we should look into this because part of that twenty one day Big Ten sit out policy after a couple positive tests is related to full screening and giving everybody full time to fully understand. I guess, to whatever ability, what is going on with that positive test and how it's affecting an athlete's body, so we'll see. I mean, everything in twenty twenty is fluid, so worth paying attention to. And good news for sure about myocarditis not appearing in positive COVID tests. I take on that as a positive thing because I don't like when people have a hard situation that to deal with.
Speaker 1: No, no, for sure to your point about everything in twenty twenty being fluid. News Broke also that quinn Ewers the number one overall recruit in the twenty twenty two class A quarterback out of Texas. He had previously been committed to the University of Texas. He has since decommitted, going to open up his recruitment again consider his options. He's being recruited by places like Ohio, state like Alabama, Obviously he's the number one kid, so he has his pick of the proverbial litter when it comes to where he's going next. But a bit of a buber for Texas. You know, we're going to talk with mister McConaughey briefly about the culture at Texas and is it back? What does back mean to get talent like this in State? I think all kind of plays into that, and it's it's a bummer to hear this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And obviously when Texas most certainly was not back, it was when they struggled at quarterback with both injuries and with talent. You know, the Garrett Gilbert, David ash Case McCoy was not an amazing stretch for Texas is football. But even if Quinn yours decides to recommit to Texas, if that's what's in his plans, there's still a lot of questions about what Texas is looking like moving forward. In Ohio State and Alabama each have a quarterback of the future that they signed last year, which they're going to sign most years. CJ. Stroud at Ohio State and Bryce I always want to say, Bryce Young, Is it Bryce Young? Bryce Jones? Bryce Young?
Speaker 3: Okay, there's so many.
Speaker 2: Bryce is such a good name that you know, Quinn yours apparently a five star quarterback, six star mullet by the way, Oh really, I don't know if you had a chance really good investigate and inspect. But yeah, so yeah, worth paying attention to. Because quarterback dominoes seem to be falling sooner and sooner each recruiting cycle, affecting where everybody else is going to end up. So whatever he decides is certainly going to end up affecting the So this is not this year's coming class, but next year's.
Speaker 1: The final bit of news also pertaining to quarterbacks that I have here is that we talked about Miles Brennan practicing potentially being ready for that Auburn game this weekend. Does not look like that is going to be the case. He's still working on an injury that he picked up I guess more than two weeks ago now, which means TJ. Finley, a freshman, he's going to get his second consecutive start. Finley was formerly a four star prospect through for two sixty five two touchdowns last Saturday.
Speaker 2: Had a really nice debut. Yeah, pretty raw, I would say, But in terms of the physical tools and ability to get the ball to more developed players running backs and receivers and tight ends. Seems to be more than serviceable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean looked raw, but also had a confidence about him that I think LC fans could feel good about. So we'll see how he fares against against the Auburn Tigers. But perhaps if that's a game you had circled for this coming weekend, your plans to go look a little different.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Also saw the five I guess antigen tests. Maybe you can speak to what that exactly is.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: The antigen test that came back positive for Oregon players were deemed to be a false positive upon the further is it PCR test? Hi, that's the most percise one, correct, Yeah, the PCR one. So that's good news for Oregon football and players that they don't have players quarantining, they don't have players potentially symptomatic, and they're moving forward. Shall we do it?
Speaker 1: Dan?
Speaker 2: I cannot wait joining us now.
Speaker 1: It's a gentleman we've wanted to have on the show for quite some time. He needs no introduction. It is the one and only Matthew McConaughey, Sir, Welcome to the solid verbal How are you.
Speaker 3: Dan, Tom doing relatively pretty well? How are y'all doing? Thanks for having me, fantastic.
Speaker 1: We are doing well. So we're obviously going to talk some football with you. Sure, but before we get their congratulations on the book green Lights. I see the hat. I like the hat.
Speaker 3: Yes, indeed, thank you. This is the truest permanent extension of me I've ever put out, and I'm happy to hear how it's training out there and being received in the world. I'm honored. I'm honored with it, and I'm happy to say that that was no guarantee.
Speaker 1: It's been out for what about a week now. I had the good fortune to read it this past week and I couldn't put the thing down. Man, it's a hell of a story. So kudos to.
Speaker 3: You, thank you, Thank you much.
Speaker 1: Man. So in the opening chapter of the book, it is your mother brandishing a knife at your father, which is a hell of a way to grab an audience's attention. There are a lot of personal stories in this book, which it's a risky move, frankly, not just because you're showing a lot of vulnerability, but because personal stories don't always land with other people. The way they might with you. That was not the case here, at least not for me. Is that something that you considered when putting this together?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I did consider it. Look, I went away to write, you know, my diaries and journals of thirty six years. On the surface, that's like, well, so what I mean, so you want to share that with the world. How's that going to translate? What I found out? And I didn't know, you know, if if there were if I was going to find in those journals something that was worthy of sharing. I do remember this. I remember writing this down on day four when I took When I was writing, I said, the words on these pages need to be worthy if signed by anonymous, but at the same time be a book that only I could have written. And that's what I tried to pull off. So what I mean by that, I can tell you a personal story, but is that relatable? Can you see yourself in it? Do you have the did you did you you know, did your life story open up with a story with your mom brandishing a twelve inch knife on your dad and your dad with the ketchup bottle? Probably not, But did you have times and things you may have seen as a kid that shaped who you were or or or you know, hardships in your own life at times where you're like, wow, I would have wished that hardship on anybody, but it had a green light asset that it revealed to me later in life. Lesson that I learned that helped me move and get on my way and on my path. So what I did find that surprised me is the more personal I got, the more relatable actually that the stories became, which happens. You know, it surprised me, But then I look back at acting. My best roles are when I go to the most personal, and my roles that have translated to more people that they go I saw myself in that were the roles that were the most personal to me. And that's that's that's so in that way, the book is about the human condition. You may not have the same examples and circumstances experiences exactly that I had, but we've all had similar times in our life when we were lost or needed to find our frequency and could not, but then later did And well, it's all science in the rearview mirror. It all adds up in the rear view mirror going forward, it's all a mystery, but looking back you can kind of connect the dots and see how we got to where we are.
Speaker 1: The title is green lights. Explain to the audience what that means to you.
Speaker 3: So green lights, right, we love green lights. They say, go, we can keep our pedal, We can keep our foot on the pedal. Man, They affirm our way. They say, yes, they are freedom. We do not like yellow and red lights. They slow us down and they stop us in our tracks. We don't want red and yell lights. But often, most of the times I've found that red and yell lights can cometimes give us what we need. Maybe we don't want it, but they can give us what we need and help us grow. There are green lights that we can create in our lives with our own choices, meaning like, we can make choices today that tee us up for success tomorrow, that bring us less stress tomorrow, all the way down to the simplest things I'm talking about. Put your coffee and your coffee filter tonight before you go to bed, so tomorrow morning, all you gotta do is press the button that's a green light. You've teed yourself up for ease. You were kind to your future self but they also come in choices that we make with our relationships, our responsibilities to our relationships, our accountability for our relationships, and ourselves out They reveal choices we can make on our careers as well that TuS up for more success and more things that turn us on personally in our future. We were responsible for those other times green light's just fall in our laps and we get damn lucky. I don't know where they came from. I got lucky. What am I going to do with it? Sometimes, as I was mentioned in the beginning, a green light is just how we see a certain situation at that time. It's about perspective. We can be in a hardship and notice when we're in it, ooh, there's a green light lesson I'm supposed to learn here. This just sucks, but it's going to be good in the long run. Sometimes we don't notice till tomorrow. Sometimes we don't know this till next week. Sometimes we're probably not going to notice what those green lights were in those red and yellow lights until we're on our deathbed. But eventually, the red and yellow lights in our lives, I do believe, do reveal green light assets or actually turn Green themselves.
Speaker 1: One of the more interesting stories in the book was how you describe the process of picking Texas as your college. So certainly everyone on this call, certainly everybody listening to the show knows, Matthew McConaughey, native son of Texas, proud Longhorn, you actually wanted to go to SMU. Yeah, how did that go down?
Speaker 3: So I'm in Australia as an exchange student. I want to be a lawyer. I figure you're SMUs in Dallas, at a major metropolis. I've always been a big fan of experiential learning, so in my mind at that time, I'm like, look, as a metropolis, I'll be able to get an internship in a law school in Dallas sooner than I would in Austin. Therefore, I could be in practice as a lawyer probably sooner, with more options in places to do. So my dad, who was going to pay for school, calls me one time. I'm in Australia, right fro, I'm about to come home and I just started applying to colleges and he says he always called a school by their mascot. He's like, so you want to be a Mustang? Huh? I yes, sir. I told him those reasons why, and he goes, what about what about being a longhorn, buddy? And I was like, no, no, no, I want to be a Mustang and here's those reasons why. And he's like you sure, like yeah, yeah, I'm sure me Hang up, I have no idea why my dad's saying want to be a longhorn. The phone rings five minutes later and to my brother Pat middle brother. He goes, hey, man, thet brother. Dad ain't gonna tell you this, but financial times are tough. The oil business has gone on the tank. He's kind of broke, and it's going to cost him three times as much to send you to SMU then it will you t you should go to Texas And I was like, I don't know about that, you know, And he goes, man, have you ever been to Austin? And I said no. He goes your shirtlet's no shoes wearing. I say, is gonna love it, man. You can walk in Austin and saddle up at a bar and you're gonna have a cowboy to the right of your Texas ranger to the right of you, and a lesbian to your left and a dwarf on the other side of them, and and and and somebody else on the other side. It's your kind of place. All you got to be is you in Austin. And I was like, that sounds good. Well he was right. I called. I called my dad right after that, knowing that it would financially help him, and said, I want to be a long horn. He's like, oh, great idea, buddy, Come horns man. And that's why I went. And Look, if I didn't go to University of Texas, I probably wouldn't be sitting there talking to you with life I have right now.
Speaker 2: It's true and one of the things that obviously came of that, especially coming from Texas. You've written about how football has been meaningful to you basically your entire life, from your dad's playing career. It's obviously going to ut What is it about college though, that has resonated with you more so than the pros, more than high school, more than any other level. What is it about the college football level that is in your DNA?
Speaker 3: Well, the purity and look it might be in somewhat romantic, it's getting to be more and more of a romantic notion with each day as college sports become their own business. But that fact of you've got four years on average at one place to play school. There's not a free agency, you're not gonna you know, now you've got more transfers than you used to is still overall. It's not like you know, in the pros. Now you can love your team this year and it may be a completely different team next year. You still may love the team, but your players may be completely different. In college, you've got that that they're you know, they're essentially not getting paid like they do in pro sports. They're still eighteen to twenty two years old, most of them in a place at the University of Texas where the absolute stud in their high school. They really find out how much of a stud they are on an overall level. Obviously, most of them do not go pro. A lot more of them think they're going to go pro than they actually do. Obviously, it's the ritual around it, it's the school spirit behind it. It's where the mascot still really means something, or at least I sure like to believe that it really means something. It's an expectation and it's time when young men are growing into becoming men it is teamwork at the same time, it's individual responsibility. That's what I love about the sport of football. It's battle at the University of Texas one of my favorite things. And this is under debate now of should the Eyes of Texas still remain. But one of the things I love about the song is that we play it and stand for it after wins and losses, which is basically after a loss is saying we may have lost the battle, but we're still going to win the war. When it's an ongoing thing, you're playing for Alma made that was there before you. You're playing for young athletes that are going to come after you. And it's my favorite. It's my favorite sport in the world. College football is my favorite sport that I like to I like to follow, and I'm just you know, you see, these young men are more impressionable. It's so much about I say this all the time. If someone can figure out the key to unlock the mind of the eighteen to twenty two year old young male athlete, there's more than gold in there. I mean, they're because so much of it is about confidence. So much it is about where are they mentally? You see teams go out there that you know, do not have the physical capacity to even wear the jockstrap of the team they're playing, But if they're mentally on it, they can beat that team on that Saturday. You know, I've been I've been able to see games like the two thousand and five National Championship when we beat USC. You couldn't write that script in Hollywood, you couldn't write that script. That's the best drama, one of the best dramas I've ever seen, and it was live. So that's that's some of the stuff I love about it.
Speaker 2: What would it have taken for you? You were not a college football recruit when you were talking about SMU VERSUS Texas. Yeah, if you were a college football recruit, what is in the seventeen or eighteen year old Matthew McConaughey's mind that would have unlocked him to get him to Texas, USC cal Florida State. What would have swayed you at that moment?
Speaker 3: Well, one, I think my legs would need to be about two inches longer.
Speaker 2: Well, in the hypothetical that you are a five star Our Blue cheperd Crew, what.
Speaker 3: Would have gotten me to go play? Well, you know, my dad played at University of Kentucky unto Bear Bryant. He had a falling out with him, transferred to Houston, and then got drafted by the Green Bay Packers. He let me tell you this story about football. He came to us and we were you know, I grew up in Texas. My brothers and I all played football up to a certain level. I remember being very nervous. And this story is not in the book, but I remember being very nervous about telling him I didn't want to play football in high school. And I called him back from my room and tell him. And I was nervous and I told him, and he goes, oh, great, great idea, buddy. I told him I wanted to play golf, and he goes, great, play golf. You can play that too. You go down. I go, Dad, why are you so? Why is he? Why are you so amendable to this idea? He goes, you know, how can you tell it's me coming to your room before I get there? I go, yeah, yes, sir, And he goes, how can you tell? I said, I can hear you. He goes, what do you hear? I go out here, Bob. He goes, yeah, man, I gotta played in here. I got screwed in here. He goes play golf, you'll play it til you go down. I would have been a good linebacker, That's my mentality, meaning that spot on defense that has to do with speed and power and really putting your nose in it and reading an offense in the middle of the field is where I would have where I mentally excel. Meaning when I played baseball, I was an all star catcher. When I played soccer, I was an all star goalie. I love defense, and that place in linebacker was where I thought my body was going to go to give me the ability to play. And then I got kind of my growth kind of got stumped around the eighth ninth grade and where I was bigger before now I wasn't bigger, but I also didn't have the speed, so I would have played linebacker. My favorite one of my favorite football players growing up as a guy in Hall of Famer named Chris Hanburger for what is now called the Washington football team, and his deal was he could hit you at the line of scrimmage, have you completely wrapped up. He may give you two extra yards past that, but he loved to grab you and throw you down and then stand over you and go, look, see I didn't go down the ground with you. And he may give you two extra yards on that, but I loved I. I have a linebacker's mentality, and I've carried that linebacker's mentality throughout my life and it's helped me in my own career.
Speaker 2: You now have, well, you have a couple roles at the University of Texas. Obviously, the Minister of Culture thing has been well written about and it's well known at this point. Also, you teach a class at UT, and your class is your background. It's film studies, it's you know, from the screen to the studio, all sorts of things that you have decades of experience, and you didn't have experience in college sports. This is a foreign industry to you. Where does the confidence come from within you to go to UT and say I have ideas, I have thoughts, Yeah, I am committed. Where does that confidence come from?
Speaker 3: Well, the same values and business. Part of my work as a Mister of Culture trying to align the same values that look the same values. It takes to have a championship team on the field or in the pool, or on the on the pitch or or on the course. The same values for championships. There are the same values that it takes for students who are not athletes to go and succeed and do the best they can and succeed in business. So I want to align those values and how do how do we maintain and make sure we are still becoming even more so a university that's not only putting champions out on the field in a sport, but also putting champions out into life as civilians, in the workplaces, as individuals. So, you know, I'm now fifty. You know the class that I teach, it was it was a very I remember the time I was sitting there. I would always go talk to the students in film classes long before the class got started, and they started to be like really really interested in what I was saying and take notes and tell me that was so awesome that with knowledge you dropped on so and I was like, in my mind, really, I just took that for granted. I thought everyone knew that, and I always felt like I was just here in college like four years ago. Well, no, it's been a little bit longer than that. So I realized, oh, I put together a career and gained experience that is worth sharing. And actually then I got the confidence say well, let's create a class because I may take it for granted, but I have a lot of experience that these students, these serious film students do not have. And then I thought about what is the class I would have wanted? What is the class I wish they would have had for me when I was at films, And it was this, how does an original script get to screen? Many many changes and adaptations along the way. So in our class, we chronologically follow the journey as script takes to get to screen, and we show you the science behind the magic of movie making and storytelling.
Speaker 2: And the college sports element. Where do you get the confidence to say I have ideas that college apfter fleets need to hear well.
Speaker 3: For instance, you know I don't know how to go you know, run better. I don't know how to go better run a college offense. I don't know how to I don't go to Tom Herman or Mac Brown and say I got ideas for a play. Sure I should. I mean I had to share is things that I know. I've always been intrigued with the intangibles. You know, there's there's two, like, for instance, the Utah game where we where we waxed Utah last year. The two plays that I show the team that I want to talk to coaches about are one when KeAndre Coburn gets his helmet knocked off his head in the middle of the field and still runs after the guy with the ball and gets in on the tackle. And then as on the sideline where you can see his mouth after he's kicked out of the game. You have to take a playoff, right because you can't be on the field without you can't pursue a play without your helmet on. And you see his mouth going. I didn't know that was a beep and rule. I'm like, that is a great intangible. That mental capacity right there, that you were balling without a helmet is an intangible that can speak volumes across a board for a team. Another one is this Sam Allinger breaks out to the left, goes on like a thirty two yard run. We're well ahead, he's coming back on the field. The cornerback that finally got him out of bounds is up in his face. Three linemen ran the thirty two yards down the field and just build a wall up and from that cornerback and backed him off of their quarterback. And Sam Allinger didn't even not didn't even didn't even look at the cornerback, just ran back to the huddle. But his three linemen were down the field in that cornerback's face go no, no, no, you don't touch you don't talk any smack tar quarterback, we're rolling your ass right now. Those are two intangibles that don't have anything to do with the specific play, but they had to do with a major They majorly have to do with the mentality that can help you succeed on a football field.
Speaker 1: And by the way, there's a lot of parallel there between what you saw on that play and some of the passages in your book, your experiences with your father about getting into his good graces. Yeah, there were several interesting stories about that in the book. How you sort of, I guess, got on the good side if you want to say, for your.
Speaker 3: Fights with my father initiations, Yeah, you know my dad's You know, if I asked my dad, what was your your biggest asset as a football player when you were your best, he goes played to the whistleblows and sometimes a little bit further even longer. So I've had many things in my life where maybe I didn't have the equal ability as the person next to me I was competing with. But I got the job or succeeded because I out hustled that person. I got, I got back up again, I got. I got up from more failures than that person did, and that person finally went, I give man, I can't beat this guy. He just won't quit coming. And so that underdog mentality is something that I've taked and into my work throughout my life. You know, our family, we had big rights of passage, and some of them are physical. Quite a few of them were, and that was a rite of passage in my dad's mind of when you become a man. Part of it was to challenge him. If you got the kahonas to challenge me, he'd always say, boys, you know where to find me. Now that was a big challenge. My dad was a big man. You know, six four, two sixty five that those numbers don't didn't didn't bode well for actually. But if you went to him, which my brother did and I did it in some fashion a little bit later in life, it wasn't about you didn't ever get in there in the in the in the real fight. It was that if you actually meant the challenge, like come on, old man, let's do it. That's when he went, ah, there's my boy, that's what I was looking for. Then you were buddies with him, but you needed to come in and mean it and say I'm going my own way. I'm not taking any more. Here's what I'm going to do. And that's when he would That's when you got the bear hug in the tiers from him saying that's my boy.
Speaker 1: So I want to go back to the intangibles for a second, because this is also something that you talk about in the book. With regard to sports betting, you're not necessarily First off, you're not betting for the money. It's not about the money. It's about it's about saying I told you so right. That's what it's about.
Speaker 3: You knew it. It's about saying I knew it. It's about buying a ticket to the game that I'm not that interested in, so I'm going to lay fifty bucks on the on the on the on the pro game. It's it's about you know, when uh, I say, oh, I'm betting on whoever. I'm betting on Brett fav team Monday night because his dad passed away last Tuesday. And if he's going to actually play in this game, which he says he is those intended, he will be playing for more than just a game. He's going to be on another level. And he actually was you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: I told you so right there you go.
Speaker 3: I knew it. It's an intangible you know, the the pick of just the straight spread is not that interesting to me. It's how is that team in practice who traveled across the country is going to be jet lagged? And I'm not always right. I'd say I'm fifty one percent right. And if you're fifty one percent right, you could actually make a bit of a living, do it. I thought, when i'm you know, it is when you're wrong, you're like, well, there must be a glitch in the system, you know what I mean. But when you're right, you're like, I knew I was on the pulse. And whether that's full of myself or not, I don't care. It's fun to go. I knew it. I knew it. I read the future.
Speaker 1: Well, so with all that being said, we're a college football show. Eighteen to twenty two year old athletes a crazy time in all of their lives, raging hormones, wild emotions, insane rivalries. I would think if intangibles are your thing as a better that college football might might be something you're interested in. Do you bet at all on college football?
Speaker 3: Not really? And and and I don't with with with my teams, kind of keep that out of it, you know, I I I don't want to. I've got a relationship with with players and coaches at the University of Texas. I I do have an inside eye. I want to keep that pure as I can with them. Yeah, you know, right now, what's this season going to end up being? I mean, what have we got? We got? Ohio? Big ten comes out last week, plays their first games. You're looking at these lopsided numbers when you're seeing teams play Texas two and two, playing Baylor one on one. Wait, what where were the other two games? Oh? Yeah, I think Wisconsin just canceled another game. Here, we're going to find out that this grand experiment is going to work here that we're in you know right now, the team, this is more of a mental game, this mental season, this season than any season it's an abbreviated season. Uh, the kids routines are not the same. The coaches have not had the same access or time has been with the teams. You know, I would think it's probably a good time to simplify some awesome game plans and say, you know, let your athletes take the full advantage of their athletic ability as you can, because the kids haven't had the time to go through the reps that they would have had time before, you know, and again the hard thing in a season, it's impossible to get those young men on a college football field to be absolutely in peak performance position and they're mentally and physically ten saturdays a year now on paper, you go, it's ten saturdays a year for three and a half hours. Can we everything go to having it?
Speaker 2: Won't?
Speaker 3: It doesn't happen. There's I remember, you know, coach mac brime used to say, you know, Texas when he was there, Oh, you know, we'll play good against Oklahoma or Nebraska in your background, which there's a story of when we beat Nebraska in ninety nine in the in the book. But he would say, you know, at that time, Rice wasn't very good, and he was like, but we're gonna need you to pump up the team for the Rice game because I have a tendency to play just good enough and maybe make it closer than it should have been, you know. And that's one of Texas has challenged right now, is it has been. It's not only is being good enough to roll the teams you should roll and put put put put, with the proverbial foot down on the throat when it's time. And because we played some of the big games good. Our best game we probably played lest She was against LSU. We lost, but we played good in those in those big games. It's about finding a consistency across the board for us right now, of going out there and playing for a par excellence that we ourselves hold ourselves accountable to, not what anyone else thinks.
Speaker 1: Now with you, what's your relationship with the age old question now of is Texas back? Is it annoying to hear that? I'm sure you've heard it by now. Is it annoying to hear that?
Speaker 2: Is it something.
Speaker 1: That that you hear and you sort of chuckle about it? How do you feel about that? What does Texas back even really mean to a Texas slum and a long time Texas fan.
Speaker 3: Well, Texas back means earnestly competing for national championships period. That's the expectation. Players understand that when they come to Texas that needs to be that par excellence sort of measure above the above the head and in the mind of anybody at the University of Texas playing any sport, we are you know, we have a tradition, we're right there in the hobbit of incredible athletes we have. No one has better facilities, no one has a better opportunity to be great, be any better than we do here at the University of Texas. So are we back? No, we're not back. And I believe when we quit even fighting to say, oh uh, we got to get back because the world thinks we should be back, and we're just like f it, we're back. We're gonna go just go do the work and we're gonna we're gonna handle it. I think you know the place like texts you're gonna have, you're gonna be scrutinized at a different level than anywhere else. Well, that's part of the package. So in that way, these young men have to grow up even faster in today's world of social media, how do you keep from playing in the dan third person? You know what I mean? When when we start playing as a team in the first person as the subject, forget the forget the jumbo trump, forget what anyone's saying about me Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wendy leading Upstay, we first start forgetting about that and playing for our ourselves as a team and quit worrying about what the rest of the world thing that's will actually be on our way to truly being back.
Speaker 2: Does Texas have to worry about the Texas machine becoming too big? Because as you know, I mean it's similar to a movie set, and that there are so many people that go into a major football program. What is and I don't mean this in a good nor a bad way, What does that machine look like behind the scenes? What does it look What does it mean to have to you know, there are so many voices. There are boosters, there are athletic directors, there there are so many voices that have opinions about what Texas Football should be doing. What does it take to wrangle that machine from what you've seen?
Speaker 3: Wins? That's a w that's not a three that's a w. Wins. Winning fixes most all of it. And that's not just at the University of Texas, but it's definitely at the University of Texas. You know, Tom Harmon, coach, came in there and talked about the football team. His main word, which is a good one, is alignment. We've got to get everyone's expectations aligned and understand what it takes to play there, and then you go about the course and you stick to it. It's something you can believe in and that you're going to take even into next satitay, even after maybe a loss. Getting everyone aligned again, the expectations are higher, as high and higher than anywhere else in any other university in the nation. Good Can you look at that as not pressure? Here let me give you an example. I did a film called Killers Show. The director William Freagan did something that I've never heard before and it was awesome. But this is what the mentality needs to be at Texas. Right here, he goes, Okay, everyone new rule this entire shoot. It's a day one er shooting. He goes, everybody gets one take. Now you can go two ways with that. You can go, oh, yeah, what am I gonna do? It, or you can go, well, f it, let's rock and roll, don't hold anything back. You got one take, it's live, there's no take too, there's no audition, let's go. I was happy to engage in that second version where where I found it freeing. I found freedom in it instead of getting tight with the pressure. We'll get some consistency as as we're as we're as we're getting into now that will hopefully deem improve itself to be successful in the long run. This is a tricky, wild year. This was Tom Irman's fourth year. These are his guys. This is the year I had penciled in that I thought we would really compete for the national championship. It doesn't look like that's gonna happen. At our record at three and two, I feel like we'll go in and play Oklahoma State good because that's that's that's a big game. It's a conference game. The other thing you got to remember, Texas is take pride and honor in the fact that you are eleven other team's favorite and biggest rival and the next one I think it's four at Notre Dame and we're like, we have eleven. Look at that with honor and look at that with responsibility, account of building and go good. I'd have it no other way. You know. It's like, like I said, Oklahoma, they are indirectly complimenting us. Every time they do this with their horns. It's like they've grabbed our sign and all I do is turn upside down. It's like, thank you, you have your own sign. In the meantime, keep doing that, because a compliment it means your identity goes through us.
Speaker 2: One of the things that you've talked about, even as it relates to your acting career, is over preparing, just knowing everything about a role. And in your current role as Minister of Culture, you're in the weeds. You're with players, you're with coaches. Coaches travel and see how other programs operate. Have you been to Ohio State, Alabama, Florida, Oregon? Have you been to those places to familiarize yourself with what major college football looks like.
Speaker 3: I've been to pro sports, have been international sports, and I've gone around the world and seeing how different organizations, businesses and sports and institutions handle themselves. One of the things that you have to do, and this goes back to alignment, you have to have clear messaging. I have been in Texas at times in along the past where the messages were beautiful, but there are too many of them. You got to have a baseline. You got to have a bloodline message, a commitment to excellent or a play like a champion, or what is the baseline theme that bleeds through twenty four to seven from practice to the locker rooms to game day and reverberates throughout the entire stadium. What is the heartbeat that you can go this is who we are, this is what we rely on. Now, you can have a different motto each week to get people up with a new aspirational thought. You can have a motto each season that you can amend a little bit, but the heartbeat has to stay and continue to be consistent throughout. And the greatest teams have that and rely on that. And it is the thing that takes you through the losses that you will have, takes you through the battles because it's the theme that takes you on to go win the war at the end of the battle.
Speaker 2: Is that cohesion close?
Speaker 3: Is it there?
Speaker 2: What sense do you get from seeing successful organizations to where Texas is in late October?
Speaker 3: Well, it's hard to say right now at three and two that is there because it wouldn't be a parent that it is. It wouldn't be a parent that it is there because at the end of the day, we can talk about it all we want. And myself being a huge University of Texas Longhorn Van and people that don't like the University of Texas, our biggest robberies would say, your record tells you who you are. That's the old Bill par Sales thing. Your record tells you where you are. So other than that, it's it's talk. And when talk leads to actual belief. I want to go to another thing you mentioned here, though, sure as to do with my work in preparation. If you look at schools that get a new defensive coordinator a new offensive coordinator that first year, that team on that cell of the ball is probably not going to be that good because you're going to see them on the field thinking you're going to see him trying to measure it. And if a player thinks while they're on the field, they're usually a half step late. Especially on defense, you're usually a half step late if you think, oh, this is the transition from the linebacker to me is the safety. If you prepare long enough and you go through the reps and it gets out of your mind and into your loins and instinct and gut, then you're reacting. Then the great athlete can react within the structure of what they've learned. But you don't want a great athlete or me. My job, what I do is an acro. I don't want to be. I'm not. I do all the preparation. My hard work is preseason pre production. When I go to set and it's game time, one take or twenty takes, whatever it's I'm playing, I'm enjoying the playfulness of it. I come in loaded, man, I got four versions of the truth that I'm going to give you, and you can throw anything at me. I'll call an audible in sync. Don't even yell cut, Let's go throw it at me. I love that's the you know. I want to be off balanced and find find my way to getting balanced in a scene. That's the same thing with an athlete. You don't want athletes out there overthinking stuff. At the same time, you got a plan, and that's what the pre season is about, or before the season. You want to have enough reps to follow through that plan by where by the time you were playing on Saturdays, you do not even think about it. It's instinctly there.
Speaker 1: I want to go back to that theme of preparation though having a plan. There's one story in particular where you talk about your early acting career, how you figured out the character and there was a four page monologue that you didn't know it was a four page monologue, or that it was in Spanish, but you were prepared, you were loaded for bear to go into this scene. And it was one of those moments early on where you were a little too cavalier. I got the biggest kick out of that story.
Speaker 3: I Yeah, it's one of there's quite a few stories in here where I step in s hi T and this is one of them. Yeah. I get this bright idea that I don't need to study the script. I don't need to break down the scene. If I know my man and I know the circumstance, I'll just go there, press record on the camera, let the camera roll, and I'll be my man and do and say what he would do. Well, that's a great idea until right before the take you look at the script, which I did notice a four page monologue in Spanish, and I remember the sheer embarrassment and the beat of sweat that came up on the back of my head and dripped down.
Speaker 4: My neck, and I was like, oh yeah, And I said to no one in particular, give me twelve minutes, please, thinking that would be not enough time to inconvenience the crew, but also enough time to learn a four page monologue in Spanish, because.
Speaker 3: Hey, I took Spanish in my one semester in eleventh grade.
Speaker 1: That's all you need.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hey, all you need negatory. So it was not enough to learn that. And I remember I went and at the scene. I didn't let anyone on know, didn't let anyone know that I wasn't prepared. I think it was probably obvious, but from that day on I said, no, you have to work, You have to prepare, You have to form the structure to then have the freedom to play and do job well. Preparation has been incredibly important for me since that date. And I learned a lesson the hard way because I had a bright idea that was not a prudent one.
Speaker 1: So hold on, what did you do though? Were you able to learn some bulk of it in Spanish. How did you.
Speaker 3: Embarrassed to watch it? Remember what I did? I don't remember what I did. I'm sure it was some half as horrible version of your poor Kolo valgo. I'm sure it didn't tell like I newstandished really well?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I guess to that point. You know, back to the book for a second. You do describe the process that you seemingly follow to figure out your characters before that pre production, that pregame stage of creating any kind of motion picture. The first step seemingly is you get the script. Once you get the script, you kind of craft the persona around your character, and then at some point you step into the character. And at that point, like I don't want to say, the script goes out the window. Obviously it does not. But at that point when you kind of merge with the character, that's when you take some of those creative liberties that really make.
Speaker 3: You absolutely as good as you are all informed by starting with what the script gave me. So you start with what is on the page first? What do you need to learn? Do that before you go towards the imagination or think about improvising or calling audibles. Know the playbooks so well that you're confident to call the audible when you're in the game. I call it owning my men. The writer may write it, the director may be directing it, but I need to get to a point where I own that character. I'm the boss of that character. And a good director wants his actors to go take ownership. You're the bloodline, take it and run. Mac Brown wants Vince Young to come over to the sideline and go give me the bo I got this. We're you know, we're yeah, I know that's the play. But I'm calling an audible the line because I see something. You want a player to take that ownership. But if it's based off of what is the general plan, what's the structure, if it's within a good improviser only improvise all the things I'll improvise or make up when I'm doing it well, is based off of the structure, in the context of the plan on the page and who the man is on the page. I'm not just making stuff up. It's all coming out of the inventory of the study and that I've already done, and not just so you can see people improvise and scenes and it may seem like, oh, that was really clever and good. But sometimes you go, but that really isn't what the character would do. Oh, that was a kind of a one off scene. You see in comedies a lot. There are some great improvisers. Some of them do it really well, and they improvise within the context of who their character is and the relationship with whoever they're in the scene with. Sometimes you'll see comedians go off and improvise a scene. You're like, oh, they've had that skit written and they were just looking for a place to put it in a movie, and they just ripped it off and did it. And while it may be funny in the moment, you may go after the movie it really wasn't true to the guy or true to the relationship that the person had in the movie. So it needs to be with all improvisation, all audibles need to be within the context of the original plan.
Speaker 1: So with that said being so, this is a show that airs on a Friday, and on Fridays here on the Cliverbal we do a weird space themed college football show. You were in a movie called Interstellar where you played astronautical traveler. How on God's Green Earth did you plan for your role as a galactic traveler, because there aren't a whole lot of real world reference points that you can go off there.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, I mean one. I went to Chris Nolan, a lot who he creates these conceptual worlds. So I went to him like and I said, like, what's give me the rules here? How does time move here? Where are we what's gravity like, etcetera. I'm the lead astronaut. I need to know this for the survival and the success of our mission. He didn't always have the answers. Sometimes you go, that's a good question, I'm not quite sure what the rules are. And he'd come back to me though a week later and go, you know, I thought about what you asked me, and we go over it and kind of hash it out to where I could have some sound information understand the rules of engagement with the world he created. You know. That was different than say, like my role in Contact, where I played a believer in the world of science, and coming away from that movie, it was like, oh, you know what, as a believer, God's back yards bigger than I thought it was, And it opened my eyes to think of more places than just earths as the backyard that we're all living in Interstellar was more, you know, in some ways more personal in that the questions like, what would you do if you if you went and time ran a different at a different pace and your your kids had grown up and you missed their childhood because you're in a different time lapse and time ran at the universe? Is that worth sacrificing? And what are what are the consequences of that? So other than other than that, I was able to get very personal with Cooper and then try to just understand what the hell is the rules in this Tesseract? What does it mean? What does it mean when I were on Saturn here? How does time move differently? So I can understand what the decisions are going to cost me as the character.
Speaker 2: One of the things we hate, and this does tie back, I trust me. One of the things we hate as college football fans is watching coaches get comfortable, watching coaches stay stubborn, watching coaches do what sort of they believe to be. Well, this is what people expect of me. It was fascinating to hear you've talked about romantic comedies and how you felt pigeonholed. You felt that this is how you were going to be viewed. This is how you felt. Everybody said, well, this is what he does, and you just stopped doing those and you never would have ended up in a movie like Interstellar. You never would have ended up in Dallas Buyer's Club, any of these movies that are incredibly well regarded.
Speaker 3: What did did?
Speaker 2: Was that a difficult thing because of obviously financial ramifications, and you had made it, you were a movie star. What did it take for you to fully sprint out of your comfort Zoneah?
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, hell yeah, it was difficult. One of the most difficult decisions I've ever made my life. I was at the time of my career where I was the go to guy for rom Coms and they paid me handsomely and I was shirtless on the beach. You damn right. Those rom Coms paid the rent of the houses on the beaches where I ran shirtless. Guilty, Yes, sir, that was me choice. So you know, it's also not fair to say, oh, that was you, But now the real you comes up. No, that was me as well, And what I've been doing is also me. But the things that I've been doing over the last twelve years, these dramas you bring up those are not getting offered me at that time. So while I was fully happy and straight faced about the life I was living in rom Comms and loved my job and stuff, they had pigeonholed me to where that's the only thing I was getting offered. So I decided, if I can't do what I want to do, I'm going to stop doing what I've been doing. And I talked about this in the book the process of elimination. If we can't do what we want to do or we don't know what we want to do or who we are, eliminate the things we're not, and by process of elimination, we'll end up with the things that feed us and tell us who we are in front of us. Well, I checked my money manager. I said, I'm going to stop doing rom Comms. I don't know how long I'll go with that work. Have a saved money? He said, you saved your money, Well, you can afford it. I checked with my wife, I checked my agent. I shed many a tear on my wife's shoulder. Going, I may not work. I don't know for how long. I don't know how long I'll be in a trout. Well, it was a twenty month trout, no work, nothing came in. I was forgotten by Hollywood. But at the same time, I wasn't in the theater or in your living room in a rom com. You didn't see me on the beach shirtless anymore. So after twenty months of no work, I became a new, fresh novel, good idea for those dramatic roles that I was looking for, and boy, as soon as it came my way, I ferociously attacked him. So I unbranded to rebrand. You know, sometimes we don't not sure what the new game plan is. Stop doing the old one and press reset, you know what I mean. Remove yourself from from old habits and then you will, hopefully, you know, the ones that the new habits you want to you want to partake in, will reveal themselves. And sometimes that's by just being away and out of the picture. And that's what it was for me at that time.
Speaker 2: And now you're away and in Austin. You're not in Malibu, you're not in la you're not in Hollywood. You're in Austin. And to bring it full circle, because we talked about you as a hypothetical recruit, we talked about ut I'm not going to say this in the context of a recruit. But let's say I. Let's say I Dan Rubinstein am coming to Austin for UT, Oklahoma State, UT, TCU, whatever. If you are mapping out the perfect Austin college football weekend, what is your itinerary? What are we doing?
Speaker 3: What are we eating?
Speaker 2: Where we hiking?
Speaker 3: Well, the perfect weekend is Look, I've got, you know, a box there where my family goes. I prefer the sidelines. I like to see that eye level and see those young men, look them in the eye, and be down there where I can break and break a sweat as well with them. The tailgate. We're gonna gonna matter what time the game starts Saturday, hopefully it's later afternoon, so we can go ahead and revel in on Friday night and get get loosened up. Where we're going tomorrow's game. What are we doing for? Well, we're me. We're gonna probably hang at my house and I'm gonna be cooking inch and five eight ribbis rub right there, and there's gonna be some music plaanning. We're gonna be getting ready. We're gonna enjoy the night and talk about things. And then tomorrow morning it's game time early at my house. We're getting in the zone pretty early and to get focused and hopefully that our focus is reverberating all the way through the city and that the whole city's focus is reverberating to the team to where today when we go to the game, this is the place to be on the planet, and we got to be there and we are you know, A and M's got the name twelfth man, but we have how can we be the twelfth Man? I've seen crowds actually help will teams. I've seen we talked earlier about the mind of the eighteen to twenty two year old sometimes the fatigue keeps it from being a self starter in that fourth quarter to find to dig in and find that actually a lot of times a crowd can help that. I'm amazed at how much players let you know how much a crowd has helped them out at certain times. So we get there. The only game in town, the only game in the planet is right there. The only color in our stidium is going to be burnt orange. If we get out of the early. We've got a few good places to go to tailgate for sure, to get a good get some meal, on us, and before we get to the game, you probably be in the box. I may go down. I'll kiss everybody good bye. I'm going down on the sideline. We'll see you after the game, hopefully it's a victory. Well after we see is of Texas and we'll move on and victory. We'll now go continue to celebrate our victory afterwards.
Speaker 2: Where's that is that? Your house?
Speaker 1: Is?
Speaker 2: That is that town?
Speaker 3: After that, after a long day of football combined with the night before, I usually go for something a little a little lighter. There's a place we'll go by Uchi or Uchi Coo, and we're gonna have a nice, nice sushi sushi dinner. Because we loaded up on our heavy duty carbs all day long and last night as well, so we'll go have a sushi dinner. Then if we've got a good gig in town, live music, we're gonna go check that out. And guess what, I've got a driver. He's gonna take us in a bus. Everyone drink up. You don't have to drive. We're gonna go do that and get everyone back. And then Sunday we'll ease in and easy to the today, sleep in. Don't worry about it. We'll actually slip by the eleven o'clock church service at our church, which is just a mile down the road. Great go atone for our sins if we got them, we be sure we did, and get ready for the week and get ready to do it all over again.
Speaker 2: I'll send you my confirmation number. The breakfast tacos are on me. I'm ready heard all right again.
Speaker 1: His name is Matthew McConaughey. His memoir Green Lights. It is available now. We're going to link it up in our show notes. Go out buy it. He's holding it up. It's a great read. Like I said, I practically read it, Matthew, and it's a really really good.
Speaker 2: Fantastic well done.
Speaker 1: This has been a true pleasure. We wish you nothing but the best with the book and with all your endeavors, and stop by any time you want.
Speaker 3: I dig it. Appreciate it, man.
Speaker 1: Take care. Okay, Daniel, there you go.
Speaker 2: Wow, I'm inspired, Ty, I've been reading the book. Who It's great.
Speaker 1: That is a bucket list interview for us. I am super pumped that we were finally able to pull that off. We thank mister McConaughey for being so gracious with this time and what again, urge everybody to go on out there and check out Green Lights. The book we got the link in the show notes really a collection of deeply personal stories about Matthew's life, how he got to where he is today, and just a an eclectic mix of life experiences that I think you can certainly find inspiration.
Speaker 2: While I'm still opted out of emotionally investing myself into Texas football, you picked a really.
Speaker 1: Weird time to opt out, knowing that this interview is on the horizon.
Speaker 2: I'm emotionally, I'm more emotionally invested than I ever was in Matthew McConaughey's career. And like, true, So that's what I That's where I'm taking that investment. And also I will celebrate like it's the birth of my own child if Texas were not only to win a national championship, but we get you remember what j R. Smith did after Cleveland won finally the lebron Remember he goes shirtless in a parade. Yeah, feels like that's on the horizon. If Texas is able to mount that full come back, Matthew McConaughey is going to be a joy in However, he celebrates.
Speaker 1: However, he celebrates. I think that's that's a parent in our interview this evening.
Speaker 2: So have you seen Magic Mike?
Speaker 3: By the way, it's.
Speaker 1: A good movie.
Speaker 2: Magic Mike is really good. It's a good movie, really good movie.
Speaker 1: Watch it with my mom, which was a little that was different, that was not not not.
Speaker 2: There's a pretty early yeah with Olivia Munn Is that who it was?
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: It was definitely not the movie watching experience that I was looking to get, but it was a good I like the movie, movie is really good.
Speaker 2: I just I would like to know what Mama H's reaction was in watching that movie. Obviously you cannot tell me because it's so specific, but what her reaction was when McConaughey gets on stage near the beginning of the movie and those leather chaps tie and says the las says, there's no touch in but I see a la la breakers out there. I'd like to see how Mama H reacted it.
Speaker 1: It was a different experience for me.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, yeah, okay, I'm just I'm just making sure I I couldn't be happier with how I was from McConaughey on the show. That was fantastic.
Speaker 1: Give us an email saw Verbal at gmail dot com. If you don't already, please do subscribe to the show at soliverbal dot com. You can find all the listen links there in the upright hand corner. While you're there, please do sign up for the newsletter. We send it out every Friday. Daniel. Right, just talk about what's going on in the college football world, what we're reading in some cases, what we're eating, and last, but certainly not least, as you are watching all of the action this weekend. Give us a phone call at for zero eight verbal one, that is four O eight eight three seven two two five one, and let us know stream of consciousness, as you're watching the games, what's your reaction, what's your real time feedback? We will mash those together into a segment we like to call the reverbs, and we will play it for all y'all on our Reaction Show.
Speaker 2: Can I ask you a question? This is just a guess from you. I wanted to asked McConaughey this, but we sort of ran out of time. He was already so generous with this time. He gave us about forty five minutes. Right, Yeah, what are the chances to you, because McConaughey has a died in the wool burnt Orange Texas diehard. What are the odds to you that he has a burner account on I looked it up right now, Horns twenty four to seven. Now obviously get all of the recruiting scoop he wants. He's friends and works alongside. You know, he's in the Athletic Department building with Tom Herman and Chrystal Conte, and he can text any of the players. He can text any of the status when. I'm sure he knew about the quinn Ewers thing days ago.
Speaker 1: But he just because he's a movie star doesn't mean that he's not on message boards.
Speaker 2: It's got to monitor the vibe.
Speaker 3: It's gotta be fifty to fifty. I would a fifty.
Speaker 2: I would say there's a seventy two percent chance he has a burner on either Horns two four seven or some deeply secret Texas recruiting message board. I have to if next time Robert Gates with A and M. I remember the Dennis Franchione newsletter. There was definitely a Secretary of Defense who had to out himself or was outed for a Texas A and m message board membership. I remember there was a potential judge a couple of years ago, a nominated judge who did not believe secure the nomination, and he was outed for his Alabama message board exploits. But I think seventy two percent seventy two plus percent. Mcconaey has a paywall recruiting burner account.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, Solidverbal at gmail dot com. Subscribe to the show if you don't already, I can.
Speaker 2: Confirm that when I go to Austin for my magical college football weekend.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll be back in a few days to talk about all the college triple action. Thank you so much for playing along with us, for downloading and supporting the show. Check us out on the live scream tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Go over ballers, don't wait.
Speaker 1: In the meantime, Stay solid Ultra Megastar Friday Orbit Peace,