Speaker 1: This story contains adult content and language. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: One of the things that struck me when I was writing this book, Boks Scott people really put a lot of grim effort into mergency people. You didn't just shoot someone, you did really destroyed. The level of violence was really off the charts.
Speaker 1: I'm Kate Winkler Dawson, a nonfiction author and journalism professor in Austin, Texas. I'm also the co host of the podcast Buried Bones on Exactly Right, and throughout my career, research for my many audio and book projects has taken me around the world. On Wicked Words, I sit down with the people I've met along the way, amazing writers, journalists, filmmakers and podcasters who have investigated and reported on notorious true crime cases. This is about the choices writers make, both good and bad, and it's a deep dive into the unpublished details behind their stories. Some of my most favorite true crime stories in history come from the UK, specifically London, so I was very excited to talk to author Simon Read about his book Scotland Yard, a History of the London Police Force's most infamous murder cases. Read investigated some of Scotland Yard's most interesting cases, and now he'll tell us about some of them. So I erroneously assumed that you were American or Canadian based on your accent, and I was terribly mistaken. Tell me about your background before, briefly, before we start talking about how you got involved with a book about Scotland Yard and its history.
Speaker 2: Sure, I am British by birth, born in London, North London. Actually Hendon moved out to the States when I was seven. My parents' job brought us out here. I am celebrated citizen. I am very much English at heart, although having lived in the United States for whatever is forty plus years, so I've always been an angler phile. I'm always looking for excuses to write about England or London in particular. Most of my books. If you go back and you look at the books that I've written, I think, with the exception of two of them, they all have a British theme. So any excuse i'd have to get back there, do research, sit in a pub, I'll.
Speaker 1: Go for it good well. As an American who has written about a very well known British story, John Reginald Christy, I wanted to really figure out what your bona fides were, and it sounds like you're all set. You've grown up with these stories.
Speaker 2: I'm sure, Yeah, I have, am I And by the way, Reginald Christy one of the most disturbing cases. Yeah, I've ever I've stood. I wrote about him in another book of mine. But my paternal grandfather was a detective with Scotland Yard.
Speaker 1: Wow. Well, okay, what do you think he would have thought of your book? You've gotten some really great reviews, and I mean, I bet he would be thrilled. I'm assuming you know, I think he would have. Well, let's talk about this book. We much of the time talk to people who are digging into one big story for their book or for their piece of the film or whatever they're doing. So for you, because we're talking about the history of Scotland Yard, which is storied and traumatizing and wonderful all at the same time. You know, you cover a wide array of crimes and I wanted to dig into two or three or more or less, like we're just going to see how it goes that I think are pretty pivotal. And I want you to start with Ratcliffe Highway murders because it's one of to me, the most interesting and so important because you know, I know that these murders were really what led to the organization of the Metropolitan Police, which was the first organization in the world, the first police, real police organization, right right. And what's great about that story is you get to talk about and tell everybody who doesn't know out the Bow Street Runners and how they interacted with the tams River Police. And you know, I will tell you full disclosure. I took myself down a couple of years ago when I was in London teaching. I took myself down to the River Police Museum and got a personalized tour from Rob Jefferies, who is a I think he's I don't know if he's a constable there, but he's retired and he loves talking about that case and why it was important. And so I'm going to geek out pretty big time, I think on this story.
Speaker 2: And I'm jealous because when I researched this book, I was working during the pandemic, during lockdowns, so I had to rely on sort of online you know, newspapers and so to go and like chop the ground as it were. I wish I could have done more that. But you have the Ratcliffe Liveway murders an extremely important case, and you're right it does lead to eventually leads to the establishment of Scotland Yard in eighteen twenty nine. But the Raclife Liway murders actually happened in eighteen eleven. There's an eighteen year stretch between the murders and the formation of Scotland Yard. But the murders happened in December of eighteen eleven on the Ratcliffe Highway, which is the main east thoroughfare out of London, and it's a very it's a dangerous place, doesn't have a great reputation. It's known for debauchery, drunkenness, vice and violence. It's popular with sailors. In fact, it's called the Regent Street for sailors of it. Today you have a lot of men who work the Thames who live off the highway. They frequent the bars, the taverns, the shops there. The highway is the home of a gentleman named Timothy Maher. He's a he's a former sailor with the Easterndia Company and he sets up a shop at twenty nine Ratcliffe Highway. He's twenty four years old, and he establishes a lnen business on the highway in April of eighteen eleven. It's him, it's his wife, it's their three month old son, Timothy Junior, and he wants to know become a businessman and the life at sea behind him. So he sets up shot there and all is going well. Business is doing good, and he has a servant girl named Margaret Jewel. And on the night of December seventh, eighteen eleven, he sends Margaret out to fetch some oysters and pay the baker's bill. And it's around midnight when she leaves Timothy Marris's shop. Timothy's wife, Celia is down in the basement kitchen feeding the baby. Timothy is preparing for the next day's business. And Margaret leaves the shop, and like I say, it's around midnight. Pretty much everything is closed up. She goes to pay the baker's bill, she finds the baker's close. She goes to get some oysters, she finds the oyster shop is closed. She returns to Timothy morris shop and she's not gone very long. But when she gets back, it's very strange. The place is shuttered up. The chaser drawn across the windows. The door is locked, all the lights are out, and she knocks on the door and she doesn't get a response, and she knocks again, no response. Her knocks on the door become more panicked, and she hears a noise behind the door. She hears what she describes as a footfall on the stairs inside the shop, and then she hears the muffled cry of the baby very month full of Timothy Junior, and this sort of puts her into a panic, and she starts really like patting on the door, and this gets the attention of a night watchman who happens to be walking by. Night watchmen were sort of an early form of law enforcement in London at the time. They patrolled the streets between sunset and sunrise, armed with a rattle and a whistle, and they were meant to sort of raise the alarm if they encountered any commotion. And he comes across Margaret. He asks what the problem is, She explains the situation. He starts banging on the door. This attracts the attention of a neighbor who hops from his house into Timothy Morris's backyard and he goes inside the shop. He finds a lick candle on the stairs. He picks it up. He goes into the shop and he walks into a horrific, horrific crime scene. Timothy's Waxelia. They've been butchered, now not just murdered, but butcherd horrendously, throat slashed down to the bone. Their heads have been carved in. They have a young servant boyd His brains are actually spattered up onto the ceiling. I mean he's been beaten with such vorocity. The neighbor opens the door. A crowd that's been now gathered outside the marshop. They rush in and see this awful scene, and someone says, where's the baby, And they find the baby in its crib down in the basement kitchen. The baby's throat's been splashed, no mercy shown. This causes a huge shock. It's interesting, you know, London in this time we tend to think of it as this place where murder happened all the time. I don't have specific numbers, but throughout the nineteenth century London, seventy five percent of the crimes were theft and robbery, and murder only accounted for ten percent of the crime. So when a murder did happen, It garnered a lot of a lot of headlines and so this murder obviously sent shock waves. The city London doesn't have a police force at this time, like we discussed, they have this missmash patchwork of parish constables and night watchmen and then the Bow Street Runners who are work out of the Ball Street Magistrate's Court. They report to the Chief Magistrate Henry Building. They have the power to investigate crime, but they're they're they're a small force. And there's also the Thames River Police and try to keep all on order on the Thames. But there's no sort of there's no coordination between any of these these entities. They don't they don't talk to each other, they don't share information, so there's there would be nothing what you consider sort of coordinated investigation, certainly by today's standards, don't find really any clues that the Marti crime team. What they do find is a it's called a mall and it's a hamm are used in shipbuilding. It has like a Wesdend use for plying, hammering and spikes and playing out when when building ships, and that's found upstairs. But the crime team doesn't really yield anything else, and the city's kind of reeling from all of this, and so trying to figure out what happened. And then twelve days later, on December nineteenth, the same thing happens again.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you like a series of questions here. Yeah, one thing that I wanted to make clear and correct me if I'm wrong here. My understanding is that when we say Ratcliff Highway, which was supposedly known as the most dangerous road in the world, it's not a highway the way we think, certainly at least Americans think of a highway. What would you consider it like a large road or.
Speaker 2: It's a large road. It's a large road. It's a road. It's a road aligne with shops on either side. It's got little alleyways going off the side of it, you know, cram with tenement housing and sailors cottages. It was called a highway back in the day because it was one of the main thorough bears in an out of the city on the east end. But it's not our highway like we think of it today, with four lanes of traffic, and so it's more think of it more like a high street. A busy main road.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so in that area when there is a crime, a theft or whatever, how is the decision made between to what You've got the boat street runners, the night watchmen and the tims River Police. Did I miss anybody? Is there any other law enforcement entity?
Speaker 2: No, that's that's that's sort of yeah, that's a good question. There wasn't really any sort of chain of command. This is the problem. This is one of the problems with London at that time. It doesn't have a centually organized peace force. And by that we mean a force that has the resources and command structure in place to ensure uniformity and coordination across a large metropolitan area and across investigations. So each sort of the constables, the nightwatchmen, bow street Runners, the taserra police, they're all sort of doing their own thing. And so this is one of the problems why nothing sort of happens with this case in terms of white cohesive investigation, because there's no cohesive law enforcement framework to tackle a crime of this magnitude, and this crime it generates a huge shockwave. It really generates a love look shock that won't be seen until you know the jack the Ripper killings in eighteen eighty eight. But the difference is when Jack the Rippers doing his stuff in Whitechapel, he's being hunted by a Metropolitan police force with more than ten thousand officers. Yeah, now he's you know, the Ratcliff Hyery murders being hunted by this ragtag, uncoordinated bunch of unprofessional law enforcement officers.
Speaker 1: Basically, I mean, I always got the impression that before the Metropolitan Police were formed, these entities were always on defense. They were never playing. There's no offense. Like it was like, we're there if something bad happens, but we're not going to like prevent you from you if we see something.
Speaker 2: You know, that's absolutely correct, that's actually correct. They're always responding to stuff. They're never sort of like out there trying to suck stuff from happening. They you know, like I said, you've got the night watchmen who are meant to patrol the streets at night, and if they see something, they make a noise with their rattle and they blow their w That's how it's mental work. But if you read the newspaper accounts of the day, you find out most of them are sitting in their guardhouses getting drunk on gin, you know, and aren't very effective. You have the parish constables who serve a law enforcement officers for the various districts and parishes throughout London. They have law enforcement power and that they can sort of make arrests and you know, if they see trouble they can haul someone off to court. But you know it's either a volunteer gig or a low paying wage. You know, these aren't they're not very effective. And then you know the Bow Street Runners. They are sort of the first for runner to a proper police force, but they're very limited in their scope. And other magistrate offices in London set up something similar to what Bow Street is doing with these constables, but again there's no coordination. And then you have the River Police wore out on the water, so they're kind of like a forward of the identity.
Speaker 1: So let me summarize so far. So December eighteen eleven, I have to assume it's just colder than hell in London. In the most dangerous street in the world. You've got the mar family, which is just an upstanding family with their business. A young couple they are murdered brutally. I mean, just horrifically murdered, as well as their baby and a servant boy. How did we say the young boy was.
Speaker 2: Twelve or fourteen? Can he's a young teen?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Not enough to defend himself, I'm assuming. Okay, now we just jump in immediately into the mystery before we get to the second set of murders here. I have always wondered, and I don't remember if I asked Rob Jeffries, my wonderful tour guide on the river, about this, But did they really expect this was at midnight? Is that when she went out?
Speaker 2: Yeah, she goes out. She goes out shortly before midnight. And if I remember on the newspaper accounts, she's only gone for about fifteen or twenty minutes or so.
Speaker 1: So is that normal that a bakery and an oyster shop would be open at midnight in this area? I mean, why would she do that? Why would he do that? Understand?
Speaker 2: I thought the same thing. So I'd heard of the Ragnifiery murders prior to writing this book, but this was the first time i'd ever sort of like researched the crimes, and I didn't know the specifics necessarily about them, and when I read that, I thought that was very very odd, you know, like the righttically by the way, like you said, very dangerous reputation back one of the newspapers said it was representative all of all that was dirty, disorderly and debased. So it seems sending out a young servant girl after midnight, at midnight to you know, track down oysters and pay the baker, it's a weird it's a weird decision to make, and that the fact that you know, a baker would be open at midnight or an oyster shot would be open at midnight, doesn't make much sense. One of the newspaper counts I found where they Margaret Jewel is giving tesscona during an inquest. She says, you know, when she stepped out on the street, the street was you know, the street was quiet. You know, stores were closed. So it seems an odd decision to do. Honestly, it was probably a lucky decision though, because if she'd been around in the house, she would have ended up suffering the same fight.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're we're at a point where now you've got who was responding to this, Who are the investigators who come to Timothy Maher's place and see this just cornage and begin to interview Margaret Jewele and trying to figure out, you know, what has happened that night.
Speaker 2: I would say, I don't have the name, but it was they were interviewed by us the night watchman who showed up local constables, and then the local corner came and there was an inquest held one or two days after the murders at a pub right across the street from the mar household. You know, Margaret Jewel gives testimony in that inquest, and she's actually overcome with emotion recounting what she saw. She breaks down on the witness stand, you know, understandably, and she actually passes out. She's able to sort of just recount the offense of that evening and being sent out to get the oysters and pay the Baker bill. And then when she starts recounting about what she saw when she was led in to the Mar home and she saw the baby in the crib, she really loses it, rightfully, so she passes out, and they do revive her, but they don't they don't make her continue her testimony. The coroner's juryous brought across the street to sort of view the crime scene. They view the bodies, the nature of the wounds are discussed for the first time. You know. The initial press reports just say they were murdered brutally. Then during the corner's inquest, they go into just how badly these people were. I mean, they weren't just murdered, they were butchered, you know, throats cut down to the bone almost at the point of decapitation, facial bones smashed. It's really really horrendous. So the corner's jury you know, returns a verdict of sort of you know, murder against a person or person's unknown, and then the family are are laid to rest in the local parish church, Saint George's, I believe, and Timothy Maher is buried in his own coffin, and then Cecilia is buried with her baby. There's a huge turnout, huge turnout. People are you know, ractive highway to bid their final respects. And during the funeral service, the preacher who presides over the funeral service, you know, he says, made God, you know, enact vengeance against whoever did this awful deed. So this family's laid to rest, but without any answers as to who did this or even even why.
Speaker 1: So what is the speculation. We don't have very much time between what happens with Timothy Moore's family and then what happens next. What is the speculation so far? Do people have any idea?
Speaker 2: They don't this And this is one of the things when I was like reading the newspaper accounts from the day, was that was one of the things that was so puzzling about the case. This guy was, you know, it was an inoffensive individual. He ran and he ran a linen shop. He was a father, you know, young father, he was twenty four years old. No one wished him ill will, and so that's one of the things that was so pleasant. There's there's nothing to point to a motive. This was a guy who was folding linens for the next day's business. His wife's beating the baby, and someone barges in and butchers all of them. Because there was no clear motive for why this happened, there is it generates real fear in the area. If it can happen to these people, it could happen again, and well and behold, that's exactly what happens.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you know this. I have another show with a cold case investigator named Paul Holes. It's called Buried Bones. And if I were telling Paul this story, he would say probably, I would guess if I'm going to channel Poul Holes, he would say, it is fantastical to think that there is somebody lying in wait, waiting for the servant girl at midnight to leave, not knowing when she's going to come back, and this guy has just enough time to slaughter this whole family before Margaret Jewel comes back. The more I think about it, the more I think this is bus I don't understand.
Speaker 2: It's very strange. I don't understand it either. Honestly, would your co hosts think maybe Margaret Jewel will somehow and involve.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think he would. I think he would say that seems odd. I mean, I guess, okay, was anything taken? Is there robbery anywhere in this? Do you think nothing?
Speaker 2: Was in the newspaper council and I didn't see anything of anything taken. The only thing odd that they found out was the shipping mallet the mall. But then what would Margaret jules motive? Maybe her freaking out on the stand and passing out. Maybe that was an act she didn't want to have to answer too many questions.
Speaker 1: So people are completely freaked out, even though this is the most dangerous road in the world. Where do we go next?
Speaker 2: The more murder is on December seventh, and then twelve days later, on December nineteenth, just a two minute walk from the Mars shop, there's a place called the King's Arms Tavern. This is a place. It's owned by a gentleman named John Williamson and his wife Elizabeth, and their servant, a woman named Bridget. And they've owned the place. I think it was fifteen years. They've run the place. They're very well established in the area. They're very well h liked. The press actually call out that the King's Tavern was open to one and all foreigners of all kinds. There was no discrimination. You know. Williams is a really friendly guy. It's not as a place to go get a mail and a drink and everyone's welcome. But on the night of December and nineteenth, Williams and his wife and Serbra went Bridget. They are also horribly murdered in much the same fashion as the mar family. But what's different in this case is there is a witness of sorts. So the King's Tavern, it's u pub. It has rooms upstairs that you can let. And there's a gentleman upstairs who's been living living at the pub for quite a while. He's and he's upstairs. He's he's getting ready for bed. He came home from a night out on the town. He sees John Willimson and his wife. He talks him for a bit. They seem perfectly normal. He bets them good night, and he goes upstairs and he's getting ready for bed, and he's he's naked, and he suddenly hears a commotion downstairs. He hears someone like barging into the place, and he hears John Williamson cry out, we are murdered. And there's a sound, there's there's screaming, there's sounds of all this violence happening. He hears a number of really heavy thumps, like something being bashed in and he's petrified, and he's he's up there in his room, like he said, he's naked. He doesn't, you know, because he's got ready for bed. He opens his bedroom door and he sneaks down the stairs and he gets to the bottom up the stairs, and there's a door at the bottom up the stairs, and the door is slightly ajar, and he peers through it and he looks into the room and the rooms lit by the fireplace, and he can see a body lying on the ground, and he sees a man kneeling over the body. And the man's back is to him, so he doesn't see the face. But the man appears to be wearing like a long leather trench coat, and it seems to be going through the pockets of the body. And he hears this man take change or coins out of the body's pockets, sort of jangle him in his hands and stick him in his pocket. He is he's petrified, and he sneaks back upstairs as quietly as he can, and he puts on a night shirt and some pants, and he has to get out of here. You know, he's terrified he's going to be slaughtered next and so he takes a couple of sheets from his bed, he ties them around his bed head, and he lures them out the window of his room and he starts crawling out. And as he's crawling out the window, a night washman happens to come by and see a guy crawling out the pulp window, you know, in his night shirt. This raises the alarm, and the nightwashman sounds his rattle, blows his whistle, and folks in the surrounding houses come out and they break into the pub. They break down the front door, and they smash a basement window. Call and they enter in and they find again a horrible seeing John Williamson. He's you know, his throat's been slipped down to the bone. He's been beaten balley. He actually has a broken leg. Looks like he took a tumble down a flight of stairs into the basement level while he was trying to defend himself. His wife, Elizabeth, she's been stabs, throw slat, you know, head caved in. The servant woman Bridget They said she had a huge, a huge hole in the side of her neck where you know, she'd been mutilated. And this time there's there's a clue such as it was. It probably be a gold line of the clue today back then, but there was a like a bloody handprint on a window sill that led out the back of let out the back of the pub. The way it's described in the newspapers up the day is the back of the pub fased out on. I guess you could call it wasteland. It was wet clay, and the killer climbed up this mountain of wet clay and then ran away once he got to the top of the hill. So the speculation is that this guy would have probably been covered in clay when he when he got to the top. But you know, except that he left a handprint, well he handprint on the windowsill, which today would have been a gold mine. Back then, it didn't mean anything. And so you've got you know, was it twelve days since the war murder and now it's it's happened again. And one of the London newspapers, which I caught in the book, they're almost like apologetic that they have to report. Thence the following day they actually start off with like, you know, we're sorry we have to tell you this, but it's happened again. You have you know, the Nightwatchman, the Constables. This sort of mismashed investigation with no sort of like coordinated effort happening. It kind of goes nowhere until a couple of people stepped forward and you know, with some information that I think is pivotal to the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think this is this set of murders too, is just so terrifying to think. Again, you know, a well liked business owner, you know, at home late at night into some birds cold outside the story of the lodger. It's John Turner. I had remembered is the guy's name?
Speaker 2: Thank you? Yes, thank you, yes.
Speaker 1: John Turner. And when he says that he sees a tall man in a long coat standing over Missus Williamson's body right at the bottom of the stairs and jingling money and stuff like that. Yet again you've got another character who's there who kind of a little bit like Margaret Jewel. It's sort of like to me in a little bit of a mysterious character. I mean, there's all sorts of weird things happening. You always look at people who are the survivors and think, how did that happen? You know, when you have all of these victims. So I find that interesting. And also, you know, I had thought, well, there's you know, if maybe he's mistaken or I don't know, we don't know if he's been drinking, and we you know, we don't know if he's the one who did it. There's just so many weird inconsistencies, I think, but this had to have been terrifying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is word and when I was researching this, I thought, God, this guy had a lucky break, you know the fancas he said with a tipsoe back up the stairs without sort of sounding the a arm. And then you're thinking, you know, these old pubger maybing around upstairs, you know, aren't floor boards creaking and a massort? One thing I didn't include it in the book, but one thing also, The other person who was in the house and slept the whole thing was John Wallinson's young granddaughter. Yeah, she sleeps through the whole thing. She scares. But John Turner us seem a bit of crief for, like, you know, fleeing the place when there was a child sleeping sleeping upstairs. On the flip side of that, you can't blame something for trying to scarey out a window to escape. But it is strange both the murders, you have the survivors. Hey, who knows, maybe Margaret Jewel and John Turner were working in cahoots.
Speaker 1: I think that's just as probable as what it sounds like. We're going to learn about the main suspect here. Pretty soon it gets a little confusing when we start talking about the main suspect, because we have the victim, John Williamson, and then we've got a suspect that has a very similar last name. Well, before we get into that, is there anyone who could say definitively that anything was taken from the Williamson household, considering everybody is dead or too young to know, or you know, is a lodger who has bigger concerns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, based on the newspaper accounts of the day that I read, no one definitely said anything was taken from the pub, except for John Turner, who witnessed the pillar bending over the body of one of the victims and taking you know, coins from the pocket and jangling in his hands. And so from that point of view, the murder is again it's a motiveless crime. You had another family, a business owner, well respected in the area, well liked, but sure for no apparent reason, which really adds to the sort of terrifying nature of the crimes. You know. The barbarity obviously is one aspect that makes it solf frightening, but the fact that these people should be killed for all apparent reason sort of makes it even more disturbing.
Speaker 1: No, I know, you said that they have a handprint, and I was trying to remember or even sort of process whether or not that was going to be helpful, because I don't know if in eighteen eleven they realized there was a distinctiveness, like an actual you can identify somebody. We all have distinct handprint, fingerprint. I don't think that came into a little bit later they did it.
Speaker 2: Scullnyard does actually start using fingerprints until nineteen oh one. But I'm just gonna jump ahead very quickly here. There was actually a pretty infamous murder in eighteen forty where a guy named Lord William Russell's murdered in his bed. The butler ends up doing it. The press reports at the time report that there's a bloody pomp print found on Lord William Russell's pillow. At the time of this murder. There is a country doctor up in Norfolk named Richard Overton who has just out of his own interest, studied the weird marks that human skin leaves on surfaces, and he reads about this eighteen forty murder. You know, shortly after it happens, and he sends a letter to Scotland Yard and he says, you know, he's not very well known, but human skin has ridges which is particular that each individual and can be left on the surface. And so if you arrest the suspect and you take their pondpernt, he might be able to compare it with the pomp print found on the pillow. And as a demonstration he includes his own fingerprints on the layer and he sends off to Scotland Yard. It gets stuck in the slush file and is saying for fifty years. It's not found until eighteen ninety and that is one of the great what if What if scott Yard had opened that letter when it arrived in eighteen forty well sort of followed up in this Victorian crime fighting might have been completely completely different. So in eighteen eleven go back to the Poor Williamson's and yeah, they're pump They can't do anything with it. All they meant was that they knew the killer to escape through the back window.
Speaker 1: So they have no suspects. We don't think anything really that we can actually confirm has been taken from either of these households. They're brutal murders, including a baby in the first household. Young people that just seemed to be, you know, left with wreckage. You've got survivors, neither of whom I'm sure I believe, I don't know. We'll see. So where do we go next when we are not living in an era of CCTV credit cards. What do they end up doing next?
Speaker 2: Well, well, what happens as the investigation, if you can call it that. And three days after the Williams some murder, some people come forward and they name a guy named John Williams. So back trigger Loving, there's no man named John Williams. He's living at a pub called the Pear Tree, and he has he has two roommates he's been bunking with. John Williams is a sailor. He actually knew Timothy Maher. The two had celts together at some point in their career. And he sort of piques the suspicions of his two roommates because in the wake of these murders, he suddenly seems to have come into a little bit of money. You know, he usually doesn't have a lot, but now he's got a little bit to spend. And he's also changed his appearance. He has shaved his beard. The women who are doing his laundry at the pub, they report having found what they believed to have been blood on one of his shirts in the wake of the murders. And he was also known to have possessed a knife that had a quoe unquote peculiar blade that theory I think could have inflicted the women's fans at the crime scene. But what really sort of peaks the curiosity of the constables I want to work in the case is that the Pear Tree, the pub where John Williams is staying, had a mall one of these shipbuilding hammers that went missing, and the mall found at the Timothy Mahra residence is identified supposedly as the mall that went missing from the Pear Tree. Based on this eference, which is circumstantial. John Williams is arrested and he is put through what one newspaper calls a very thorough interrogation, and we can only.
Speaker 1: In America we'd call the third degree. Probably yes, exactly.
Speaker 2: He's put through this really brutal interrogation where we can only assume is brutal. He's taken back to his cell and he hangs himself with a handkerchief on a pipe that is used to hang clothing, and his body's found not long after he he hangs himself, So no one really knows if John Williams did it or not. In the eyes of the public, he certainly did.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about the evidence before we talk about his death. I mean, again, this is one of the most befuddling cases. I've always thought about why the Ratcliff Highway murders were not as infamous as Jack the Ripper, And I think it's the taunting part of it. The murders that at least are a provable connected to this have stopped after John Williams is dead. But if we go back and look at the evidence, so the evidence really was that he knew. I know that Tom de Quincy, who was a very famous essayist, wrote and did kind of an investigation also and wrote an essay right and he said there was this definitive connection between Timothy Marr and John Williams. What was the connection between John Williams and John Williamson the victim? I feel like I read that maybe he had stayed there at some point, but I don't remember that could have been in a PD James book, the P. D.
Speaker 2: James book. I mean colors like everything that does with Williams and mar that there was a definitive connection and that they and that they sell together. I don't know how close they were, if they were friends or or what not, but I mean that was definitely a damning piece of evidence against him. The other stuff, Yeah, the shaving of the beard.
Speaker 1: I just don't think there's no evidence.
Speaker 2: There's no evidence.
Speaker 1: And people steal tools all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly, And the blood found on his clothes, it's not even sure it was blood. These two laundrywomen, Yeah, two ways he did the laundry. He saw it and just assumed it was blood.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My thought had been, of course, there's no way that to definitively match the mall from the crime scene unless there's fingerprints or something, and even then they wouldn't have been able to use that. And people stole stuff all the time. Weren't a terrible area of London. I just don't none of this is compelling in any way at all, especially his suicide.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ef theft was an incredibly common crime. I think I said the beginning of very I think seventy five percent of all crimes. Yeah, in London at the time our left and Roberty. So the evidence is purely circumstantial. I think this is one of those things where authorities just want this case to go away, so let's put on this guy and be done with it.
Speaker 1: Is there an insinuation that someone murdered him, that this was not, you know, an act of suicide.
Speaker 2: I didn't se any insinuation in the you know, in the newspaper coverage of the day. The newspapers were either like happy this guy was gone or angry that he didn't get justice in court. But I certainly wondered that when I was when I was researching it. Now it seems pretty convenient. So who who knows? You know, nothing's beyond the remay. Hey, look, we've identified Margaret Joel as a possible suspect now, so nothing's beyond the realm up right possibility.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, you know, you have two able bodied people who are survivors, you know, John Turner on one household and Margaret Jewel and another. And I'm not saying they did it, but I'm just saying that there could be a coordinated effort I have never thought that John Williams was a decent suspect at all. But you know, I'm missing some information. I would like you to talk about the next level amount of just discussed and what they did with John Williams after it was discovered that he had died and they were not able to take him to trial. What happens next.
Speaker 2: They yeah, they he's not let off the hook, even in death. They take his body down, they strip him, they stick him on a cart. They wheel him on a cart through the East End of London. Crowds are turning out to sort of jeer him, and you know, they're throwing fruit and rocks at the guy, and it's you know, at this corpse. And they take him to an intersection, a main intersection in the East end of London. They actually they drive a stake through him and then they bury him in a hole in the road and they cover him up there and that's where they leave him. And then you're right, the case sort of after all, it's sort of disappears. I'm surprised it's not as well known as the Ripper case. But like he said, there's an other sort of reper case is kind of the first modern day serial killer case where you have the killer taunting the press. Yeah, and kind of setting the temb left for that, and the ractifying murders didn't sort of have that element to it, so it's kind of been forgotten.
Speaker 1: Well, you know a couple of points. One was when I know when John Williams was buried, he's buried at this intersection. They did it because, you know, they wanted to bury him at a crossroad so that when his spirit rose, it wouldn't know where to go, it would be perpetually confused, it wouldn't and I think they buried him face down too. It's pretty awful. Rob Jeffrey said, you should really go visit this place. The pub's out there anymore. And I thought, Okay, well, I don't know if I want to go to this intersection. That's really creepy. But you know, that idea of sort of convicting somebody, not letting it go until it was done. I'm sure people in the mid eighteen hundreds to later eighteen hundreds before Jack the Ripper knew a lot about Ratcliffe Highway. And then you've got the Jack the Ripper with its criminal profiling kind of the first well known case of criminal profiling, which surprises me because you know, I think that the Ratcliffe Highway murders is ripe for criminal profiling. I think you could really have somebody now look at that case and go, God, this doesn't make any sense, this guy doesn't fit in at all, or oh yeah, this is exactly what you would see. I just don't think you have enough information to know. But it's an enduring mystery.
Speaker 2: It is fascinating. You're right, it would absolutely be great for a criminal profiler. And yes, Scott, you know that Jack the Ripper case is the first attempt made at criminal profiling. And I'm kind of bouncing around here, But when I was thinking about writing this book, I know it's going to have to write about the Jack the Ripper case, obviously, because you can't write about Scotlan year and uncluded the Ripper. But I was trying to think of a different approach to the Ripper case, and that was one of the things when I was researching. I discovered that the Jack theap case, it's the first attempt made a criminal profiling. It's also a first attempt made at using sniffer dogs returned the scot returned Stellton Yard a merciless amount of ridicule in the press, but that sort of ties back into kind of the point of the book and sort of showing how Scotton Yard really sort of laid the foundation for a lot of modern day investigative work and the things we see today and sort of true crime documentaries and you know we read about detective thrillers.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, I mean developing some really innovative techniques and you know, I just think the history of Scotland Yard is so fascinating. In the old building, finding Torso's you know.
Speaker 2: That's it's one of when I actually wrote the book proposal for h for Scotland Yard. Yeah, when they were building what became known as New Scotland Yard, their new headquarters, they found a victim up the Thames Torso murder in the in the basement who was actually killing at the same time as Jack the Riper. A lot of people don't realize the Yard was like pursuing two serial killers at the same time, the Ripper in the tenth Social Order. But because they found a victiamall the Tennis Sourzew murder in the basement of Scotlan Yard's headquarters, the first. One of my book proposal was Scotland Yard is built on an nonsoul mystery because they never actually solved the Torso murders.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I've mentioned this on the show before or not. I had heard of the Ratcliff Highway murders for years because I had read through you know, P. D. James book. My mom's a huge PD James fan, and so I knew about the book. But one of my favorite TV series is Whitechapel. Did you ever watch Whitechapel?
Speaker 2: No? I never. I never did, and I should.
Speaker 1: You got to watch it. I think it's on Prime now. So the reason that I am fascinated by that show is they do an excellent episode that mimics the Ratcliffe Highway murders, where you have a tailor's shop where everybody's murdered when the seamstress goes out to go get bagels late at night and comes back and you know she's suspected, and then there's like a series of other murders that are very very similar, and they use a historian, a crime history like me, a crime historian who knows all about these stories and can say this is what you can learn from the Ratcliff Highway murders to solve this case now. And so that might seem like a really silly premise, but it's an excellent way to talk about what you and I both talk about, which is that we can learn so much about current crime, current criminals, why people kill, how to stop them by looking into the past, you know. And I think that it's taken a while for some of my listeners to kind of go, oh, I get it. I see, these are real people from the eighteen hundreds, and they are no different. They're no different than us. I mean, you know, they had different money, different jobs, different language, but the human emotions all the same. Everything's the same, you know, everything's.
Speaker 2: You know, human beings do not change. Anything that changes is that sort of the technology and the methods to catch them. And that's one of the things with this book is that, you know, it doesn't appeal just to people who are fascinated by true crime, but it appeals to sort of people who enjoy a detective thrillers now Spelpi or sort of made it up as they went along, case by bloody case. And so you do see the evolution of you know, sort of no role book for detectives, and then you see them sort of gradually developing the trade craft of detective work, and it's fascinating. You know, one of the early cases, one of the things that I found fascinating was one of their early cases in eighteen thirty seven. You know, we find this poor woman's found this membered on blong edgeware road. Her head's missing, her legs are missing. Her head eventually shows up in a canal just north of central London. Scouting the artplusts they had on display, they put it in a jar of spirits. They put it on display in the Pattinson workhouse to try and identify her, and it works. You know, a guy comes through sees and goes, oh my god, that's my sister. And then that leads to the rest of the killers. So you see these sort of like innovative, very sort of thinking out of the box approaches to solving these conflicts times. The other thing too, you know, when we're talking about murderers today, this is kind of sound where it's relatively easy to kill someone. You just have to pull a trigger, you can shoot them. One of the things that struck me when I was writing this book was Gott. People really put a lot of grim effort into murdering people. He didn't just shoot someone. Yeah, the level of violence was really off the charts.
Speaker 1: I talked on my show a lot about axe murders, which I said, you know, Paul was sort of surprised, and I said, people used wood to burn for heat, and so there was an axe in every household and if you wanted to kill someone, you could probably find an axe in their house if you need it to. And that happened a lot. It doesn't happen as much anymore.
Speaker 2: You've got to make use of the tools you have available.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I guess if you're determined to kill somebody and find the weapon there, I've never understood. We could get into a whole other episode of people who do that. I still don't get it. But well, this has been really great, Simon, because I know that every policing agency has their flaws, big flaws, and I know that Scotland Yard is no exception. But between the history and as we've said them, innovativeness and the determination for a lot of the detectives who have worked for Scotland Yard and Metropolitan Police to crack some of the cases and to stop things terrorism, stop the things that they've stopped, has been really incredible to just see develop over the last you know, one hundred and fifty to two hundred years. When you read all those old documents, I'm glad you pulled them all together into a book.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. Gain No, it was great. One of the things I wanted to do with this book is Scotlan Yard has a certain mistique to it from its very curious name. You know, why is it closer to the fact that it has sold some of the most infamous crimes in the history. And when I started researching, five killings quickly turned into ten, turned into fifteen, turned in I mean, it was just like a lot of murders about. One of the things that came out during the research was that the Yard did and I did. I was sort of unaware of it, but the Yard did play a pivotal part in sort of establishing the foundation for modern day detective work. And so you know, a lot of the crimes that are in this book are in there for that very reason. They show the advancement of police work and sort of investigative technique. So, you know, I hope people come away thinking, Wow, I didn't realize Scotlandyard did all this stuff.
Speaker 1: If you love historical true crime stories, check out the audio versions of my books The Ghost Club, All That Is Wicked, and American Sherlock and Don't Forget. There are twelve seasons of my historical true crime podcast, Tenfold More Wicked right here in this podcast feed, scroll back and give them a listen if you haven't already. This has been an exactly right production. Our senior producer is Alexis a Morosi. Our associate producer is Christina Chamberlain. This episode was mixed by John Bradley. Curtis heath is our composer. Artwork by Nick Toga. Executive produced by Georgia Hardstark, Karen Kilgarriff and Danielle Kramer. Follow Wicked Words on Instagram at tenfold More Wicked and on Facebook at Wicked Words Pod