Speaker 1: The iPhone sixteen lineup has landed. Did you make the leap?
Speaker 2: I'm going to share the best new features in iOS eighteen that are worth checking out. Amazon is at it again with yet another Prime Day. I've got the dates and some smart shopping strategies to help you save and remember Flappy Bird, the addictive mobile game making an unexpected comeback. I will tell you why, plus your tech questions answered.
Speaker 1: What's going on?
Speaker 2: I'm Rich Demiro and this is Rich on Tech. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions about technology. I believe the tech should be interesting, useful, and fun. Let's open up those phone lines at triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology, don't be shy. Also, a lot of iPhone upgraders and questions about that today. I'm assuming just because it's a big deal with this iPhone sixteen. So if you upgraded, or you're thinking about upgrading, or maybe you're having an issue or maybe it didn't upgrade, give me a call. We'll get you on the show and we'll talk about that. Email is also open. Just go to the website rich on tech dot tv and hit the contact link rich on tech dot Tv. Hit contact and if you want a link to something I mentioned here on the show, just go to the website and tap the light bulb icon. Well, welcome to the show from Las Vegas Today, Live from Las Vegas. I'm here for the iHeartRadio Music Festival. iHeart certainly knows how to put on a good show. This is a two day music festival, and my wife and I were curious about how this would work, and it worked out pretty well.
Speaker 1: It's fun.
Speaker 2: So they have a bunch of artists that are all playing, and they all play, you know, some of their best songs, and it moves very quickly. They've actually had this like rotating stage so that they can set up one band to the front, the other band setting up in the back. As soon as that one band is done, they rotate the stage and the next one comes out. So I was pretty impressive that. So we've been having a really good time here doing that. You know, Vegas is it's one of those places where you either love it or hate it. Personally, I really like it. I really enjoy it. You know, we do some simple things here, just enjoy shows, enjoy nice dinner, and a little maybe a little little bit of gambling here and there. Believe me, I'm too frugal to part with all of my cash or what little I have. You know, I do have kids. So we've got some guests this week. Brian Merchant, author of Blood in the Machine. He's going to talk about that trend at Chipotle. I don't know if you heard about this, but they are now automating some of their stores making those burrito bowls by robots. So he's going to talk about that, and then later on Friend of the Show, Matt Swider, he writes the excellent newsletter called the Shortcut. He's going to talk about the iPhone sixteen new features and compare it to the previous models. Now, if you did update your iPhone to iOS eighteen, you got a pretty new iPhone just by updating the software. So iOS eighteen is available if you haven't downloaded it. So far, I haven't seen any real major issues on it. They've been testing this for a long time, but it's available for the iPhone ten s and up models. So remember the ten. It was like, the X is not the X, that one's not included, but it's the ten s. The ten are the eleven, the twelve, the thirteen, the fourteen, the fifteen, the sixteen. And if you have an iPhone S second generation or later, So.
Speaker 1: What are you gonna get?
Speaker 2: Well, you're not gonna get Apple Intelligence that is coming soon. And so everyone is talking about this AI stuff and Apple kind of missed the boat on that. But here's the thing. They have released it as a public beta.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't recommend typically that you download public betas because it can really mess up your phone because it's just like the beta software. But if you're really adventurous, you can now get this AI stuff in the public beta eighteen teen point one. Siri can rewrite your stuff, you know, like your text messages and your emails. Siriri has a whole new design. You can erase things from your photos and much more. Just keep in mind if you do the beta, if you want to go back to the regular software, you do have to erase your entire phone, So I don't typically recommend it for that. But if you've got IOSA teen, just the regular version of it, what can you do. Everything looks so new and different. Number one, your home screen. You can now place icons anywhere you want. And I know that's a small weird thing that Android has had forever, but it's kind of nice to be able to do that. And if you press and hold on any app, you can now turn it into a widget. So just press and hold on an app you'll see some icons that look like widgets. That's really cool because let's say you have a clock app. You can now just press and hold and turn that into a clock widget. So that's really handy. Your app icons, you can now make them light, you can make them dark, you can tint them a certain color if you want, and maybe you want to be a little easier on your eyes. You can change your icons into large icons. So if you press a hold on there, it'll say use large icons in the edit area, and all of your names of the icons go away, but they will become much bigger.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Over in Control Center, this is when you swipe down from the right side of your phone. That is much more customizable. This is where you find your Wi Fi and your cellular settings. Now you can have multiple pages so you can completely customize the things that are on these pages, so I put a lot of shortcuts in there.
Speaker 1: It's very very handy.
Speaker 2: You can also have a separate page just for your media playback, a connectivity page. So this is really really a place where you want to dive in and customize your phone. Like, for instance, this morning, I was out at a restaurant and I basically added a QR code scanner, because you know how you aimed your phone at, a QR code doesn't always find it. Well, you can add a QR code scanner shortcut to your control center and now when you tap that, it'll immediately go into the mode where it's scanning for a QR code. So that's very handy, and there's so many of those types of things. You can also customize the shortcuts on the home screen, so when you're I should say the lock screen, so when your phone is locked, you used to only be able to activate the flashlight in the camera. Well, now you can replace those with whatever shortcuts you want. So for me personally, let's see what I replaced them with, because I forget already. Oh I still have the flashlight and the camera. I got to replace those with something better. Now, the action button, this is something that was on the iPhone fifteen Pro models last year.
Speaker 1: It's now on the iPhone sixteen models.
Speaker 2: That has replaced on the left side of your phone the Ringer silent switch, So if you got a new iPhone sixteen, you can customize that button to do whatever you want.
Speaker 1: So on my phone, I've got it.
Speaker 2: Where it immediately starts recording a voice memo and it transcribes it and sends it to my email. It is really really handy. It's an app called Whisper Whisper Memos Whispermemos dot com.
Speaker 1: I absolutely love this app.
Speaker 2: It'll change your life if you like to take a lot of voice memos and have them transcribed, and it's in your inbox, which means you can deal with them whenever you feel like it, so you never forget anything anymore.
Speaker 1: The photos app got a big redesign. Good luck with that. Just kidding.
Speaker 2: I mean it is a lot more complicated. It looks like there's like a lot more going on. But my recommendation open up the photos app if you're on iOS eighteen, scroll all the way down to the bottom and there is an option to customize and reorder what they show in the photos app. I got rid of everything except recent photos, media types, and utilities, which means I see all my recent photos. I can see like if I want selfies or videos or whatever, and then utility shows things like duplicate photos. So if you want to clean up kind of your photos app, I know Apple added a lot of stuff in there. Just scroll all the way down to the bottom of the screen and you can do that now. When it comes to messages, this got a lot of updates. So messages obviously is where a lot of people spend a lot of time on the iPhone. The big, big, big change is that you now have support for RCS, so that means rich communication services. That means when you text an Android phone, you can send bigger files, you can see when someone's typing, you can see read receipts. The problem is, I am having trouble with this on my phone. Messages are not getting delivered from Android phones to my phone for some reason. So if that's happening, if you're texting people and they're not texting you back, and you're wondering why, it could be some sort of issue that we're seeing right now with the rollout of all this, because a lot of people jumped on board rcs all at the same time, So be patient with that and ask your friends maybe call them and be like, hey, are you trying to type me something because it's not working. So many things you can do in messages now. You can make your text like jump and add effects to it. You can format your text. You can use any emoji to respond to text. You can send a text later, so you can schedule a text to send later. So to do that, tap the plus sign next to the message box and look for an option called send later. You might have to like scroll to find it, but if you press an hold on it, you can drag that up to the top of the list. So messages really really improved. You also might notice there's a new passwords app. Please use this app. I beg of you stop making passwords up that are really bad. Use this app to generate strong passwords. Apple will store them. You can see your Wi Fi passwords, your two factor authentication codes. You can even make a group where you share your passwords with Like if you want to share a password for your Netflix with your significant others you both have access to it. You can do that all in this app. Please use that passwords app. It is much much safer than making your own passwords and trying to remember them.
Speaker 1: A couple other things you can do.
Speaker 2: You can now lock app, so if you want an app to require face ID or touch ID before you can actually use it, you can lock down an app. So press and hold and it will say require face ID, enable that, and now nobody can open that app without your face or your or your fingerprint or your passcode. You can even hide an app, so if you don't want an app to show up on your phone at all, you can hide it once you lock it. You can say hide this app, and it will put it in a special folder that doesn't even show up on your phone unless you are looking at your phone screen.
Speaker 1: So this is really good for privacy.
Speaker 2: I put all my financial apps in there, so if someone ever got a hold of my phone, they don't even see the bank that I use or the card that I have or anything like that because it's totally completely just blanked out for their eyes. Let's see what else. Oh, couple of accessibility features.
Speaker 1: I tracking.
Speaker 2: You can now control your phone with your eyes, so go into accessibility for that. And you can also set vocal shortcuts, so if you have an atypical speech issue, you can record a vocal shortcut that will trigger certain actions on the phone with the sound that you make.
Speaker 1: So that's really great for accessibility.
Speaker 2: And inside calculator, you got to find this little easter egg.
Speaker 1: So if you tap in.
Speaker 2: The lower left hand corner, you'll notice they have a thing called math notes. And if you type or you know, draw on your screen, you can literally use your finger to draw out a math problem and it will solve it in your handwriting. And by the way, the calculator, after I don't know how many years of the iPhone, fifteen years of the iPhone, finally got a backspace button. So if you make a mistake on one of the numbers you type in, you can finally.
Speaker 1: Press backspace and it will delete it. All right.
Speaker 2: If you want to read about all of these new features, I'll put the link on the website.
Speaker 1: Rich on tech dot TV. So much to talk about today.
Speaker 2: Give me a call eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one coming up. We'll take some more of your calls, or we'll take some of your calls and I'll tell you about Amazon Prime Day. My tried and true method for finding the best deals. This is rich on Tech.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to rich on Tech.
Speaker 2: Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at Triple eight Rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming to you live from Las Vegas today. Always a fun time. It's actually one of the few times I've been in Vegas where the weather is nice, because typically i'm here for Ces that's in January, it is brutally cold, and then I'm here in the summer sometimes when it is really really hot. So this is like perfect perfect weather in Las Vegas. And what an interesting town. Eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show rich on Tech dot TV. There you can hit contact to send in a question, and you can also hit the light bulb if you want to show notes from this week's show. Let's go to Kevin, Line one in San Clemente. Kevin, you're on with Rich. Welcome to the show. Hello you there. Okay, don't don't hear Kevin.
Speaker 1: Let's see. Let's try one more time. Kevin on Line one.
Speaker 2: You there, Nope, Okay, let's try line two. Matthew in Sonora, California. Matt, are you there?
Speaker 4: And I'm looking for an electronic engineer to take my schematics and take my shoebox size prototype and scale it down to what it needs to be. Is the size of one of those road reflector bumps in the road. Where's the best place to find a talented electronic engineer to help me with this project? Is there a school I could reach out to for graduates or is there a website or a Facebook page you could subject? You could suggest?
Speaker 2: So you've invented something and you need someone to take your design and bring it to life.
Speaker 4: And I have the schematics already, all the hard bits, I just need someone to build it.
Speaker 1: Really, what's can you? Can you tell us about the product?
Speaker 4: Or no?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, it's a smart road reflector. It's known as a boxtop, those little bumps to reflector. Yeah, as a battery and a solar panel, and that condict detect the presence of wildlife like deer and an approaching car. When it detects both both of them, it starts blinking to warn the car and emits a sound to drive the animal away from the road roadside. You can see my website if I may mention it.
Speaker 1: Let's not mention the website. Yeah, no problem, you know.
Speaker 2: But but yeah, that's that's interesting. I mean, as someone who has had a close call with a deer, believe me, those you know it's it's bad.
Speaker 1: You know, you don't you don't A lot of people dodge a.
Speaker 4: Dear and hit a tree. So yeah, my lifelong ambition is to get this on roads and in national parks and indots and areas that have high incident of roadkill. It's really meant to end roadkill.
Speaker 2: Okay, so this is your Okay, so the website, Okay, this is the website is I think we can mention it. I'll see why we can't end roadkill dot com. Kim is telling me end road kill dot com.
Speaker 4: Yes, my numbers on there. If any talented electronic engineers want to join me. I'm also going to try to audition for twenty twenty five season of Shark Tank.
Speaker 1: Oh that's awesome that, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Look, this is this is a great idea and uh what so what's your background?
Speaker 4: I'm an engineer mostly mechanics. I build race cars and but I'm also an inventor. I have a lot of different inventions that require electronics and everything in this already exists. No one's ever put it together in a small package that will work at the in the middle of the.
Speaker 2: Road, right right, and that's and this can handle like cars driving over it and things like that.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, Wow.
Speaker 2: Well, I love It's funny that you mentioned the bot because those things I always use that as trivia to ask people like, because you know, those are a like I never saw those tykeing to California, the bots in the road, you know, right, and and so are they using them now nationwide?
Speaker 1: I don't even know, but California, like.
Speaker 4: They were developed in the sixties by the gentleman who it's named after, bot Stops, but he didn't get credit for it.
Speaker 5: He died.
Speaker 4: Someone else took it off the shelf and it started out as just a round bump in the road that was white and it's moved on to become reflectors and this is the next stage for it being making a smart box stock.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: Well, so, I mean, I guess my recommendation would be, I mean, hopefully you get on shark tank.
Speaker 1: Good luck with that.
Speaker 2: But I think the recommendation is to you know, you've got to just you sound like a smart guy.
Speaker 1: You know what you're doing. So I think you get you got to put some.
Speaker 2: Posts out there about this, maybe on uh, you know, maybe something like Reddit, like maybe you got to find the communities where these people are hanging out. And I think the schools is probably the best way to do it. So I would start with the schools. See if someone you know is willing to help you on this project. Do you have funding for this?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: I do, okay, And I've also reached out to the San Jose State University in Silicon Valley to try to get one of their engineers to make it a class project.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, so do you do you have one of these like ready to go, like a proof of concept kind of thing.
Speaker 4: It's the size of a shoebox.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, got it? So somebody to shrink down the tech?
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm rooting for you. I think this sounds like a really neat piece of technology. And I think that you know, uh, we put the website out there, so if someone wants to help out there, you go and uh, I get in touch with those schools.
Speaker 1: That's what you need to do. You got to get this as a joint project. Thanks for the call. Matthew in Sonora, California.
Speaker 2: Eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Coming up, we're gonna talk to Brian Merchant about Chapotle's automation push. You are listening to rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Deburo here hanging out with you talking technology. The phone lines are open at eighty to eight rich one oh one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Give me a call if you have a question about technology. We'll get back to the phone lines in just a moment. But first want to welcome Brian Merchant to the show, author of Blood in the Machine, to talk about Chipotle and what they're doing with automation.
Speaker 1: Brian, welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Hello, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: So, thanks for joining me. Let's tell me about your book. First off, Blood in the Machine. What do you discuss and I know you have a sub stack, what do you discuss on all these platforms?
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, so the Blood in the Machine was a book that came out last year. I had written it actually before the AI boom was underway, but it really looks at automation and the way throughout history that that that technologies are used to both enhance and replace labor and workers, and what happens when there's a situation where you know, factory owners or bosses or entrepreneurs, are you bring a technology to try to replace a worker or a group of workers and there isn't any real set of options for those workers with their job is gone. So it's it's basically a look at how these forces interact over history, starting from the first time this happened in the Industrial Revolution and then fast boarding until today, well.
Speaker 2: And today, so you know, it's no secret I cover a lot of these companies that are using automation, and of course now AI is a big part of it. In the past, I've covered robotic machines that make pizza, that make jamba juice, you know, automated growing facilities where they're growing lettuce. I mean, there's just so many that I've seen in the past, and now Chipotle, oh the Burger, the one that started all was I don't know if you remember Flippy the burger flipping robot. Do you remember that one, that that was a big one. Oh, I think we've lost Brian. Well, this week Chipotle announced that they are using an automated system. So they've got one called Autocato. This cuts cores and peels avocados for guacamole. And then they've got this augmented make line which assembles bulls and salads for digital orders. So, Brian, what do you make of this news? I mean this, does this just make sense that companies are trying to do this or does this have real implications for for actual workers?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So, I mean the time will tell. Right.
Speaker 6: You just mentioned Flippy. I think Flippy is already coming gone. It's this kind of automation where you're doing a sort of a complex task that a human would usually do with their hands, is something that workers have been trying. I mean that that that's the tech companies and and and corporate bosses have been trying to figure out how to do for a long time.
Speaker 2: Amazonal with their goal, like I've said before, their goal is to not have humans. Basically, like if if a company could, they would not want humans.
Speaker 6: That that's that is the end goal of all of these I mean they give them cute names they they call them cobots.
Speaker 3: Like you'll notice in all of the materials.
Speaker 7: About the the the Chipotle robot, they call it a cobot because they want to they want to sort of present this uh, this front like that they're just you know, they're helping workers, and they're going to coexist with the with the workers, and it's gonna be a big, shiny future.
Speaker 6: But of course what they really want to do is cut out those labor costs.
Speaker 3: Eventually, it's what they.
Speaker 6: Whether you're Uber or whether you're Amazon, or whether you're Chipotle. Uh, the future that you want is one where you can replace your workforce with robots, so that so that you can you know, ostensibly have a you know, a cheaper product, a bigger bottom line, and in some cases, you know, they think of these robots as more reliable, right, but the old adage among the among the bosses is that you know, a robot never causing sick, so they would.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, look, humans are messy. Humans are you know, they're they're people. They're human, like they they call in sick, they come in hungover, they're you know, they have a bad day. They don't feel like you know, they put two much guacamole in the bowl and they're in they're every you know, ounce that's extras costing these companies' money, you know, and they or they pour a drink that's you know, you know, too much vodka in the drink or whatever.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 1: I've seen robots that do uh, you know, they make drinks.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's just so I understand why it's the goal of these companies to do this, But what's the answer do we I mean, do we stop companies from doing this or is there going to be a world where we just if we continue to march on it's humans are.
Speaker 1: Just x out of this whole situation.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So the first thing I'd say is that that folks have been trying to.
Speaker 3: Do this since the beginning of the industrial Revolution.
Speaker 6: You look at those first factories where you know, you have kind of crude machines that can automate the production of cloth or a garment or something, and they barely can do it. It's much less high quality than a human or a skilled worker can. But you still have people at the at that time writing these treatises like, oh, the end of.
Speaker 3: The human worker is right around the corner. So two hundred years.
Speaker 6: Basically we've been hearing these yeah, so that you have the they called it, the automaton, we will have we will have a factory working as an automaton before you know it, and we won't need human workers. Two hundred years later, we can see that that's not true. All of our factories are still filled with human workers. So, needless to say, this is a very hard problem. Even in the last ten years, we've seen so many startups promise to automate, you know, the these service tasks or human labor, or even just the act of picking an object off a shelf at an Amazon warehouse. They haven't even been able to master that. So keep a big old grain of salt handy when you're thinking about all of these claims that the companies are making. So that's number one, right, I don't think there's anything that we need to worry about in terms of like a human free you know situation with with speculus, service work and manual labor in a lot of these cases. Number two is like, we just have to think about what kind of a future we do want. What do we want humans to do versus robots to do? Right now, there's a big struggle between artists and the generative AI companies because it's a slightly different context.
Speaker 3: But one thing that AI can do.
Speaker 6: Is create sort of regurgitated art that's based on human work. Do we want to replace illustrators with this sort of regurgitated you know, digital imagery that an AI can can write. That is a question we kind of have to answer right now. Do we want to protect the artists? Do we want to protect the act of having an illustrator as a job, like, do we want to protect that kind of stuff? So a lot of this stuff is we're going to have to find out answers and just keep that grain of salt handy. When the tech companies are promising that they can deliver this human free future.
Speaker 1: Have you I mean, do you think anyone's doing this stuff right?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: I mean you have like something like Waimo right like it it's there's cars all over the streets of Los Angeles. I even saw them here in Las Vegas where they're you know, they're driving themselves.
Speaker 1: I mean, but is it scalable?
Speaker 2: And there's also that the idea of cost, like all these companies are trying, like you know, Chipotle's got this in two restaurants or something, but you know, to roll it out to seven thousand restaurants that they want to have in North America.
Speaker 1: Like that, the cost is probably so expensive.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the cost is high, and there's gonna be a lot of maintenance issues. There's gonna be a lot of complications that they're not foreseeing right now, and they may well just decide that it's cheaper to have a human do this task again, Right, That's all that as far as the company is concerned, especially for stuff that's taking place in the back rooms, preparing the food, preparing a process. If if a human can wind up doing it cheaper, then then they're just gonna have a human doing They're gonna they're gonna sort of cancel the experiment.
Speaker 3: So we'll see there.
Speaker 6: With waime O, it's another case where I'd say, you know, it seems like they're driving themselves, but we know that every time they're faced with a tough decision that gets a little flag to the command center, there's people who are real people who are sitting sort of watching these cars and they have to make what's called an intervention. You know, it's a if it detects us, is that a squirrel on the road. Can I keep driving or is that just a bump? It'll send a little notification to somebody in Scottsdale, Arizona, who's watching four or five of these cars at a given time, and it'll they'll have to take over and make the call. So there is still somebody driving the car right in a sense, they're just the driver has been moved from the driver's seat to a sort of a command center at an off site location. And that's happening with the delivery robots you've probably seen crawling around LA. These are not fully autonomous systems. There's always a person still in the loop because there has to be. It's too it's too messy, as you said, and too complicated and too potentially dangerous or cost producing to the company to not have that human still watching them. If and when we finally, you know, do have a self driving car that is properly self driving and is not having a number of interventions every minute. By the way, we saw when the Cruise car crashed in San Francisco and hit a pedestrian and they were forced to sort of turn over their logs that it was multiple times almost every minute that a human was brought into the loop to tell it what to do. So there is still a person involved in that, and there's still going to be a person looking at this autocado thing in the Chipotle background saying like, is this doing a good enough job?
Speaker 3: Do I have to fix it?
Speaker 6: So we just can't ever dismiss the amount of human labor still required to make all these automated or so called automated systems work.
Speaker 2: I like the positivity because as grim as it seems as a future for humans with all this speak of automation, you're right, I mean, every one of these systems, at the end of the day, still relies on humans. And by the way, it's a lot easier to teach a human to grab something off a shelf than it is to program a robot.
Speaker 1: Right now, I get it.
Speaker 2: With AI and all this stuff, maybe it'll get easier, but it's just so funny how you can literally teach anyone to do that in about ten seconds versus all the programming in lines it takes to program I'm a robot.
Speaker 3: And that's what it is at the end of the day.
Speaker 6: And not to say this isn't grim, because what the companies are gonna do is they're gonna they're gonna sell the automation. They're gonna sell the fact that hey, this can be cheaper, this should be cheaper. And companies are still going to buy into that sales pitch, and they're going to layoff workers. They're going to assign more work to people who are currently uh you know, having a job that might you know, be potentially uh abetted by automation. And in a lot of cases, what we see is that firms will go ahead and lay off workers, layoff service staff, and then the people who are remaining will be left with even more work.
Speaker 3: And the companies, oh yeah, yeah, So.
Speaker 2: We're gonna leave it there, Brian, We're gonna leave it there. What's the best website for folks to find you?
Speaker 3: Blood in Theemachine dot Com.
Speaker 2: Okay, awesome conversation. Thanks so much for joining me today. Really appreciate it. Brian Merchant, Blood in Theemachine dot Com eight A eight rich one O one eight eight seven four to two four one zero one more rich on Tech right after this, Welcome back.
Speaker 1: To rich on Tech.
Speaker 2: Rich Tomuro here hanging out with you, talking technology. The website is rich on Tech dot tv. Let's submit an email to me. Just go there, hit contact and if you want to call the show, it's eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 1: Coming to you from Las Vegas today. Fun city.
Speaker 2: If you haven't been here, leave the kids at home. Just leave the kids at home, come to Las Vegas and have a good time. It's it's like people just I don't know what it is about Las Vegas, but people are just I don't know if i'd consider them their best selves here or living their best lives, but they are definitely living an interesting life. They just go all out. Denise writes in on the website. Hey, I was listening to the show. I heard the guy about his invention regarding bots dots. He could try putting an ad on Craigslist in the gigs CA category. There are lots of those types of ads, and they seem to get responses because they are not on there for long. Just to thought, have a great day, Denise. Denise, that's a great idea. Craigslist always a good good place for things like that. Any kind of community, you know, any type play like a form or something like that. Eighty eight rich one oh one Mike in Irvine, Line three, Mike in Irvine, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 9: Oh, thanks, Rich. I appreciate the information on the new iOS eighteen.
Speaker 4: But you said it has the ability to.
Speaker 9: Hide apps, which as an adult for financial records like you mentioned, makes sense. But what about as a parent of teens. Is there any type of print of controls or overrides for that sort of.
Speaker 10: System.
Speaker 2: Yeah, great question, because you know the teenagers are going to really take advantage of this, and in many times they know more about their phones than we do. And I think in the past they've already had with of hiding apps, like with sneaky little shortcuts and things like that where they can change the icon or you know, my kids would put them like in a folder like buried Deep, so you wouldn't see what.
Speaker 1: They have in there.
Speaker 2: But according to Apple, children under thirteen in family sharing, So this is the main thing, is that you have to put your kids in your family sharing with Apple ID. If they have their own Apple ID, they could basically do whatever they want. So put them in a family sharing group if they're under thirteen, and of course you've signed them up with the proper age on their phone in their account they cannot lock or hide apps. So again, kids under thirteen in a family sharing group cannot hide or lock.
Speaker 1: Apps in iOS eighteen.
Speaker 2: Now, if they are thirteen to seventeen and they're in a family group, they can lock or hide an app, but a parent or guardian in the family group can see the app was downloaded, how much time it's being used, and restrict access to it using screen time. So what they're saying there is that under thirteen can't hide her lock. Thirteen to seventeen they can hide er lock their apps. But when you go on to their list of apps that was downloaded, you can see in the list of like if they're using it a lot, you'll see it at the top of.
Speaker 1: The list of screen time apps.
Speaker 2: You can also block that app completely using screen time, so you can say that app is not allowed. Now, personally, if I was Apple and i think I'm getting a lot of questions about this, I've already seen a bunch of people asking about this, I think that Apple should straight up make a toggle in screen time. No matter what age the kid is, parents need to have the ability to turn off this feature. Why do kids need to lock or hide apps they're in your house. They are a kid, they are under your supervision. They should not be able to hide her lock apps. Now, maybe there are some reasons for this. I'm trying to think. Obviously, I can't think of every single situation that's known to mankind. And sure there may be an app that you know, teenager doesn't want their friends seeing on their on their phone or something like that or their iPad. So yes, I'm sure maybe there are some things. But again, maybe parents should have that option of being able to allow this or not allow it. So my great question, uh, get those kids inside the family sharing and you have the control. But we all know that screen time can be very, very complicated in general, and kids know how to use this stuff way better than a lot of their parents. So it is going to be tricky and it's going to cause some issues. And I think this, uh, this locking apps is going to cause issues in a lot of ways. You know, it's not just the kids that are doing this. I think it's going to be a lot of the adults as well. You know, people might be hiding apps that they don't want their spouses to see or something like that. So again, there are useful features and that's why Apple came out with this, but they're you know, no matter what, anytime there's a useful feature for something, people are going to find a more evil use of it as well.
Speaker 1: Let's go to.
Speaker 2: Kevin online one Kevin, I only got two minutes, So Kevin and San Clementy, can you get your.
Speaker 1: Question in quick?
Speaker 5: I'll make you real quick. It's a two questions, but related these guys showing up on my Facebook. But how to turn off certain things on your computer?
Speaker 3: Ie, if you do you.
Speaker 5: Know X y Z, type in you know this, that and that or the other and it shows you what to turn off so you're not trapped on your computer. So my question is are those legit? And then related to that, also some of these softwares and I don't know if I can give a couple of the names that came through PC magazine that clean out all your computer information and people that have access to you and you know, some say they you know, track two hundred companies that follow you, five hundred companies that follow you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, great question.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So first off, on the first question, I'd be very careful with with you know, following some of these instructions, especially if you're getting into settings that you don't understand. So anytime you're doing something you don't understand, I would be careful because you can change something that might mess up your computer or your or whatever. I see all these things like about how to access secret codes on your phone to do things and stuff like that. If you don't understand that, I don't think you should be doing that. When it comes to tracking, uh, these there's there's millions of data broke. There's many many data brokers out there that have information about us. Consumer reports found that most of those data removal sites that you pay for don't really work very well and they're not worth the money. The two that they liked are called easy opt outs and opt e O P T E R Y.
Speaker 1: I've tested one of these. I tested Mozilla.
Speaker 2: They had one, and yeah, it does remove stuff, and yes it'll work. It's gonna cost you though usually these things cost anywhere. You know, twenty dollars a month is about the main price.
Speaker 1: So you can do it.
Speaker 2: But I'd be much more concerned about my information out there on the dark web and instead of on these paid people finder websites. Eight to eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 1: You are listening to rich Onte.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to rich On tech rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: If you don't know this song, where have you been? Shaboozie Tipsy played it, played it at the Iheartfestival. We are here in Las Vegas for.
Speaker 1: It was great.
Speaker 2: Just came out and sang this and went back in. It was you know, this is what people wanted to hear, so why not? That is certainly a fun song. Eighty to eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show rich on tech dot TV. When you're there, you can hit the light bulb icon for a link to anything I mentioned here. You can hit contact if you want to send me a message. You can also, of course, go on X, which is what Nicholas did. Nicholas said, everyone, hey, rich everyone with a modern Android phone is laughing about all of these quote unquote new Apple updates. Apple always seem delayed by a couple of years. Love the show, you know, Nicholas, I it's so interesting. I understand that sentiment and I totally get it, like there's been this kind of back and forth for years about Android versus iPhone, iPhone versus Android, and believe me, I really love both platforms for different reasons. I think that the difference is, like, let's say someone like Samsung, They're always putting new features out right, like years years in advance, and then eventually those features typically make their way to the iPhone. I think the difference is what Apple does is they try to add like their own little Apple magic to things. And for something like the iPhone sixteen, you know, models and all of the iOS eighteen stuff, like yeah, moving an app wherever you want on the screen, But like there are certain things that like Apple just makes simple and easy compared to some of the Android stuff. So I think it just depends on the audience and who's using it. But to iPhone users, a lot of this stuff is new. But Android users definitely love giving their iPhone users a hard time, that's for sure, and that's fun. I mean, I hope that doesn't go away ever, because I love My wife is so sick of hearing me talk about what I like about iPhone versus Android and vice versa, because she hears it all the time because I'm always testing both, Uh, let's go to line four Tony in the Inland Empire. Tony Line four, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 11: Hi, Rich, thank you for taking my call.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, thanks for listening today and calling in.
Speaker 1: What can I help you with? Yes?
Speaker 11: Yes, I was wondering is there any way I can remove myself from a large texting group. I did not sign up for it, don't know how I got on it. And it does include I have an iPhone, it does include iPhones and Android. The back and forth within the texting group is becoming it's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Can I real annoying? Okay? So have you updated to iOS eighteen?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, So if you tap the message, this looks like a brand new feature in iOS eighteen. Because I was just checking this out, this has been a known issue. You know, you can easily leave I Message conversations right because they you know, everyone's on I Message.
Speaker 1: Apple can handle it. It's very simple.
Speaker 2: But when you get the mixture of I Message and Android, you know whether people that are not using it, you see the green bubbles, and it's just it's a whole different ballgame because now you're talking about just regular phone numbers, and it's tough for Apple to just sort of remove you from that because anyone can text you anytime, right, and so this is where it becomes an issue. But it looks like in iOS eighteen in the messages. If you go into the message up at the top where it says how many people are in the message, I've got this message where it says two people, there's a new option that says delete and block this conversation.
Speaker 1: Do you see that? Okay?
Speaker 11: Do I go into the actual text and group itself?
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 2: So open up your messages app, tap into that messa and then up at the top you'll see it usually has like a couple icons of people's heads up there or whatever like profile faces. So you tap where it says how many people are in there where it says two people, and then you tap there and you'll see all the info about this group chap.
Speaker 1: It'll tell you.
Speaker 2: Who's in it and give you some some options.
Speaker 1: Have you ever seen this screen?
Speaker 11: Okay, well I'm not sure I'm in it now where it's listing all or long lists of people within this group.
Speaker 2: That where it could be Yep, that's where you should be. Now when you go in there, do you scroll down? Do you see something that says, delete and block this conversation. Yes, okay, so tap that and that should take care of it.
Speaker 11: Okay, So that'll totally remove me out of the group itself.
Speaker 4: Is that correct?
Speaker 2: Well, so it's going to see it can't be removed from the group because the persons set up just as it's tougher than that, because it's not like living on a server somewhere. Just started a thread with a whole bunch of people in it, and if that person texts again, you're still gonna be included. Your phone is just not gonna show you that anymore. Does that make more sense?
Speaker 11: Okay?
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 11: So it's not like where you can silence the group or the text in itself and you'll still see the messages. Business stand that it won't actually come to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not even gonna show up on your list of messages anymore.
Speaker 12: Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the idea. So try that, see if it works. If it doesn't, give me a call back, okay, okay, appreciate it, Thank you so much, all right, Tony, really appreciate you. How's the how's the weather out there in the in the Inmblem Empire today?
Speaker 1: Oh, she's gone Okay, reminds, Okay, let's talk about Amazon Amazon Prime Day. Doesn't it feel like Amazon does a Prime Day like every day?
Speaker 12: Now?
Speaker 1: What is up with this?
Speaker 2: It's like they're gonna They're gonna dilute this. Uh this excitement over Prime Day? Is there any excitement? I think it's I think the last Prime Day we had was that actually very good. I think that Apple did our See we talk so much about Apple, Rich.
Speaker 1: You're such an Apple fanboy. All you do is talk about Apple, Apple, Apple, Apple.
Speaker 2: So Amazon they announced the Big Deal Okay, Prime Big Deal Days, that's what it's called this year October eighth through ninth. And this will start on October eighth run through October ninth. And what are they promising? More of the same millions of deals for their Prime members. Yes, winter fashions, Halloween costumes, electronics, and everyday essentials. New deals will drop as much as every five minutes. Then they've got Rufus, Amazon's AI shopping assistant. They want you to try that out. It can help you with recommendations. Now tell me this. Do you think Rufus, Amazon's AI shopping assistant whatever advise you against buying something?
Speaker 1: Hey, rufus. Should I buy this?
Speaker 2: Let me check my status, let me check my sources. Yes, you should spend your money with Amazon. I mean, I don't know if that's a look.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 2: They have they have this program to kind of help you compare products and things like that. But I just find it ironic that you're taking advice from a shopping assistant from the place that wants to sell you something. That's like asking the person at the you know, the mall, should I buy this?
Speaker 1: Is this cool? Is this great? Yeah? Of course they're going to tell you to buy it. They're there to sell it to you.
Speaker 2: Early deals right now on Amazon Music Unlimited, so if you haven't tried that out, they've got like four months free of that. I saw Audible, couple months free there, Kindle unlimited, grub Hub plus. Those are deals you can take advantage of right now. I talked about that in my newsletter this week. So if you want to get that, just go to Rich on tech dot tv. You can see it on the homepage. Prime Membership, don't forget. You do have to be a Prime member to take advantage of Prime Day fifteen dollars per month or one hundred and thirty nine dollars for the year. My advice for Prime Day, same advice I give every single year. I sound like a broken record. Put the stuff that you want in your cart now and that way, or save it for later.
Speaker 1: Whatever you know.
Speaker 2: Amazon gives you like an and ability to save stuff for later. Put it in your cart or save it for later, and then when these deal day hits on October eighth and ninth, or even leading up to it, you can see if the price drops on any of the things that you actually want. And that is the best way to do it. That is the way I've been doing it for years. And it just comes down to you wake up that morning October eighth, instead of searching for stuff to spend your money on, you just go through your cart and you say, oh that okay, And there's usually like a little banner that says Prime Day or deal or deal drop or price drop, and that way you can quickly and instantly spot when these things go on sale. So that is my advice. The other thing I really like is a service from Honey called drop List. So if you look, if you go to honey, Honey is sort of a browsing helper. It gives you the coupon codes, but they have a feature called drop list. So once you add this Honey Extensions from PayPal now they bought them.
Speaker 1: Once you add this to your Chrome browser, web browser or whatever, anything that you put in your shopping cart or your list on Amazon, they will track the price and actually send you an email when that price drops.
Speaker 2: And it's not always perfect, but it does really really help. All Right, let's see. Okay, you know what I was gonna do an Apple story.
Speaker 3: I won't.
Speaker 1: I'll do Instagram.
Speaker 2: Instagram this week launched some enhanced safety features for teen accounts. Now, if you've listened to this show, you know that I think that all of these social media networks are just almost borderline pure evil for teenagers because they don't need to be on these things like why do you need to be comparing yourself as a seventeen year old to you know, the most beautiful people that you're scrolling through on Instagram? You know, these models and things like that. I get it, we get it from TV and all that stuff, but like on these social media networks, we know that it causes depression, anxiety, distractions, shorter attention spans. It's like keep these kids off of these things as long as humanly possible. With that said, we know that kids want to be on them because their friends are on them, and in fact, a lot of kids, you know, the people make businesses on them and become influencers.
Speaker 1: But now, by default.
Speaker 2: Under eighteen, Instagram is instituting some things like accounts will be private by default, messaging will be restricted to just your followers. They're gonna have content filters so that kids aren't seeing stuff like fight videos and cosmetic procedures. Tagging and mentions are gonna be limited. There's a sixty minute daily time limit.
Speaker 1: Reminder. They don't stop you after sixty minutes.
Speaker 2: They just say, hey, it's a good idea to get off of this app, and then sleep mode from ten pm to seven am. And parents will need to approve any changes to these automatic restrictions. And you might be saying, rich kids are just gonna lie about the age when they sign up for Instagram.
Speaker 1: Yes they are.
Speaker 2: But Instagram is fighting back against that with a whole bunch of ways, especially using AI to figure out if this person signing up is actually under a eighteen. They will sniff them out and they will make sure that they are included in this, so it's a start. I'm not saying Instagram is perfect for doing this, but I do think it's better than nothing. Eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website richon tech dot tv. Coming up, I'll tell you about the California driver's license making its way into the iPhone wallet.
Speaker 1: This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech.
Speaker 2: Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at eight eight eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Email rich rich on tech dot tv is the website. You can email me there, just hit contact here in Las Vegas, UH for the iHeart Music Fest. This is an incredible two day festival that I'm just here for just for fun.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of nice.
Speaker 2: When you, you know, work for iHeart and are able to come to these kind of things. And du A Lipa last last night you just heard her there stole the show. I mean, my wife and I were not really like big Dual Liapa fans, and then we watched her perform and I just unbelievable, really really just great show. And each person performs a couple of songs. Maybe you know some of their best songs, but she just really closed out the show and did a really, really nice job. So we're now new fans, and I guess that's the point of it, right, You're exposed to some artists that you may not be totally familiar with. I mean, I knew du Liipa, But anyway, eighty and eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I said I wasn't gonna do another Apple story, but I have to because if you live in California, you can now put your state ID or your driver's license in Apple wallets, so California driver's license and state.
Speaker 1: Id's can be added.
Speaker 2: This is part of Calilifornia DMV's MDL pilot program. Apparently it's limited to like one and a half million people. But I have now put my driver's license in like three different phones. So I don't know if I'm taking up three spots or they're just letting a lot of people do this or what. But if you have a California driver's license, you can add it to your Apple wallet. So people are a little confused about this, but basically you open up Apple Wallet to do this. You don't have to download any separate app to your phone. So on your phone, just type in wallet and you'll see where you can press the plus sign and it says driver's license or state ID. You tap there right now, you've got Arizona, California, Colorado, Georgia, Hawaii, Maryland, and Ohio are all part of this. And so you basically scan the front and back of your driver's license and then you take a whole bunch of pictures of yourself like selfies. And no, you don't have to be like all posing and making the duck lips or whatever they call that. You know, you just sit there and they're making sure that you're actually a human, right, so they want to make sure you're moving. They say, like blink your eyes. I had to like open my mouth or like smile or something. But yeah, and then they send it all off and verify it, and next thing you know, you get a little notification this says, hey, your driver's license is ready, and it took like literally a minute for mine to be approved. So if you want to have your driver's license on your phone, do it. But here's the deal. Good luck using it. Anywhere you can't. There's so I did use it last time at the TSA checkpoint. That's basically the only place that you can use it at this point. So if you're flying, but you cannot use this for a police officer. It does not replace your ID in any way. And it's almost like comical why we're doing this, And I get it, it's a start, but it's just kind of funny that you have this thing and it's so great, and it's like we're all on board, but you can't actually.
Speaker 1: Use it anywhere.
Speaker 2: Nobody's gonna accept this except the TSA, and I'll tell you what my experience was there. So I said, hey, do you take the new digital driver's license on my phone? And they said yeah, sure, you got to stand over there and go talk to that person. So I go over there and the guy says, nah, the machine's not on for that. I said, well, can we turn it on because I'd really like to try this. I kind of cover technology for a living and I'd like to see if this works. And he, you know, kind of grumbled a little bit. He said, sure, okay, scan it below. I said, no, I think I tap it to the to the reader because it's NFC and he goes, Nope, you scan it. I said, okay, I don't think you scan it, and so I just tapped it anyway without them looking, and you know, the guy was like kind of talking to someone else and I tapped it and it worked.
Speaker 1: He's like, all right, that worked.
Speaker 2: I'm like, yeah, I know it's you're supposed to tap, but anyway, maybe there is a scan QR code something like that, but yes, you're supposed to tap anyway. The beauty of these things of the driver's license. I get that it's weird and it's scary that we're doing, you know, away with a physical license, but it's actually much more secure because what happens is a lot of times, let's say you're buying booze right at a at a store right now, the clerk they look at your physical ID and they see your name, they see your address, they see your data birth, and they look at your picture they match it up against your face. The way that this new system works is it only exchanges the information it needs to exchange, and it's really not even the information. So it's not transmitting to the grocery store your name, address, and your data birth and verifying that it's actually just transmitting a verification that says you are over twenty one. So that's hard coded into this app using algorithms and encryption and all this stuff that they've some very smart people have figured out, like let's only transmit the information that is necessary, and if that information doesn't need to be transmitted, like if target doesn't need to store your data birth for that transaction, it will just literally transmit yes or no to approve that transaction. So it's a small but kind of meaningful thing where I actually think this is very private and done in a really interesting future kind of forward thinking way where less of our personal information is just out there for everyone to see. Like why is this sixteen year old at the place that's checking my ID? Well, maybe they're not sixteen if they're checking my ID, but you know what I mean, Like, why is that person need to see all of my personal information? They don't anyway. This is also available for Android wallet as well. Android happened a few weeks ago, So if you want to put your driver's license, just open up the wallet app on your phone and see if you're in one of the states that has it. You can't use it in too many places, but it's kind of cool to be on that cutting edge. Eighty to eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four.
Speaker 1: One zero one. Welcome back to rich on Tech.
Speaker 2: Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology at triple eight rich one O one. That's eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. The website for the show Richontech dot TV.
Speaker 1: Let's go to line one. We've got Bonnie in Charleston, South Carolina. Bonnie in Charleston, South Carolina, Line one. Welcome to the show.
Speaker 10: Well, Rich, thank you for making me feel really really old, because I have no idea who that singer was you were talking about, Oh.
Speaker 1: Which one dua lipa?
Speaker 10: Yeah, well you know what like a maybe it was a disease of.
Speaker 1: Some sort, but my gosh, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: She is Albanian, so that is Albanian and British, and so that that that describes the or I guess makes up for the unique name there.
Speaker 1: So that's why.
Speaker 2: But you know, hey, maybe maybe if you like some you know, rocky music, you'll you'll like it. She's kind of like a tailor swiftish kind of thing, but maybe more more dancing anyway, what can I help you with?
Speaker 1: Bonnie?
Speaker 10: Okay, So I have a question. I don't know if you can help me. I'm a senior citizen and so I get an awful lot of scam calls, and I know I can block them, but I'm also a pet portrait artist, so when people call me up, and I need the names and ideas people that call so that I can see at the customer. But all these scam people are using phony caller IDs, phony names, and phony phone numbers with local area codes.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep.
Speaker 10: Is there a way to stop them from actually using phony caller IDs? I mean, do we need to get a law so that they can't do it? Because usually I'll answer the phone and it's some guy from you know, the Philippines trying to sell me I don't know, trying to give me something and try to get my credit card number. So I'm wondering, isn't there a way? Isn't there a law that can stop them from using these phony call names and collor IDs.
Speaker 2: Yes, there are laws, and they don't follow them because they could care less because you know, they're not based here in the US. Most of the time, they're not. They're not on the up and up, so you know, if you are. Let's say you put your phone number on a list. Let's say you go to Macy's right and they say, hey, give us your phone number and we'll text you and we'll call you with deals or whatever. And you get sick and tired of them texting you or calling you.
Speaker 1: You know, you can.
Speaker 2: Reply stop to their texts, or you can opt out of your phone number being used, and they will respect it. They will stop using your information and stop calling you. The problem is when these are kind of operating in the gray area that ninety nine percent of these robo calls are or even if they're just you know, sort of uh, you know, even if it's a live person, they're still robo calling. And yes, they're using local phone numbers to try to trick you because it looks like it's coming from you know, your area. So when I you know, for instance, especially when you have kids like myself, you're going to always pick up the phone when it's a number that looks like your local area code, because it could be their school, it could be a babysitter, whatever, And that's what they're praying upon they're praying upon you know, tricking us. Can you stop these That is the multi billion dollar question that nobody seems to have figured out.
Speaker 1: Now I will tell you. I'm assuming you have an iPhone.
Speaker 10: Right, Okay, so I still have my landline. I know it's not a real land.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, okay, Well there actually is a way.
Speaker 2: So there's a company called Nomo Robo n O m O r O b O, and they actually will help protect you from some of this stuff on landlines. And it's it's actually free for the kind of the basic service on land lines. And I know you said it's not a real landline. I know, but they support like all the voice voice over IP landlines, which are you know, from the different companies like Cox or FiOS or Spectrum and Infinity Uma, and so you can sign up. You can sign up with them and they can help control some of these callers. Now, I know you run a business, so you don't really want to like intercept a lot of these calls and have them, you know, you don't want to have a lot of issues with that. But I will tell you you know, in my experience, I think that these calls come and go in waves, and it really depends on how many lists you're on and how many times your phone number has been shared and how it's out there.
Speaker 1: So the more that you can.
Speaker 2: You're a business too, so they are obviously your phone numbers out there because it's a business, and I think that's unfortunate that you need your number out there. But then these people, of course use that to their advantage.
Speaker 10: Well, I will tell you rich, once I realize it is one of those scam calls, I usually ask the guy what he's wearing, and then he doesn't know really how to handle me and usually hang up.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Okay, well hey, at least you have a sense of humor there, you know. Hey, And I've heard people, you know, they kind of mess with these people and they you know, but at the end of the day, I mean, what I typically do is I try to be nice and it's just like I'm not interested, no, thank you, please take me off this list. But most of the time they're not respecting those rules because they are operating sort of in a gray area. So I would my recommendations for the you know, for the landline, I would check out the Noomo robo dot com.
Speaker 1: If you're on a smartphone.
Speaker 2: All of the major carriers have their own call filtering apps, so you can use those.
Speaker 1: I find that they're very hit or miss.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: There is one interesting thing that's happening on the iPhone with iOS eighteen.
Speaker 1: Uh. Traditionally, you couldn't.
Speaker 2: Really get caller ID look up through a third party app on the iPhone because of the way the iPhone is set up. But they're now actually allowing that with this new thing that they enabled in iOS eighteen. So I actually think that some of these caller ID apps that we're going to see that you know, something like a true caller or something like that, is actually going to get more helpful. And even the caller ID uh, the spam filtering apps from the carriers, I think are going to get more helpful. It's going to take a little bit of time because it's a brand new feature for the iPhone, but I think that's gonna help now. If you're on Android, it's actually already much much better. So if you're on Samsung or the Pixel, they both have an incredible feature that lets you filter or lets you screen calls through their digital Assistant. So when you're on a Pixel smartphone and it's an unknown caller or caller that's not in your address book. It'll say, you know, would you like to screen this call? And it's quite incredible where it will say, Hi, I'm the Google Assistant. I'm helping this person screen their calls. Can you tell me what you're calling about? And that person says what they're calling about. It will say on your screen, this is John from you know, pest Control or whatever. Now, ninety nine percent of the time in my experience, when I'm using that phone, they'll.
Speaker 1: Just hang up because they don't want to deal with it.
Speaker 2: But Sam Samsung has a similar feature as well, which is really really great, and you can actually type back to the person and it will read that in a voice to text things. So it's getting better, Bonnie. But I think your method works pretty well. Just say hey, what are you wearing?
Speaker 10: And you know, okay, Thanks Ton, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks, thanks a lot for the call. Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: In a beautiful Charleston, South Carolina, I've been there. I've been to Charleston and it is a beautiful city. I feel like there's all these cities like the Charleston's of the world that had like this, like resurgence with like, you know, just embracing the beauty of these cities in a new way and restaurants and walkways on the water and things like that.
Speaker 1: So thanks for the call.
Speaker 2: Eight to eight rich one oh one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. I will say the most annoying thing about I was on Android for a while with the Pixel nine, I went back to iPhone. I will say the most annoying thing about the iPhone is answering phone calls because there is no good screening app at this point or screening method. Yeah, Apple has their own which lets it go to voicemail and kind of reads it.
Speaker 1: But that's not what I want. I want.
Speaker 2: I want the feature that Samsung and Google have on their phones on the iPhone. I mean, it's it's game changing because I literally don't dread answer the phone on Samsung or Pixel because you just have the assistant answer it. If it's important, they're going to tell you what it's for, and if it's not, they're going to hang up.
Speaker 1: And by the way, if it's someone in.
Speaker 2: Your address book and you can't answer the phone, it knows that too. Or you know you're in a position where it's it's it's calling you. Let's say it's like for me, it was my mom and I was out having dinner and it was a loud place and I couldn't pick up the phone. But because it knows that she's in my address book, instead of the standard like hey, this is Google whatever, it actually does a custom thing where you can say is it urgent? And so you tap one thing on your screen that says is it urgent, and it will say to them, hey, you know, Rich is busy, but like, is this an urgent call? And my mom said no, and then I just replied back, I'll call you in a little bit. So it's that level of smarts that I think is just it just frees you up because you're no longer like worried about answering the phone, which is just we shouldn't be worried about answering our own phone calls at this point. But the problem is there's just so much spam out there and so much nonsense, and so many people trying to get money from us. The worst is like the cable companies. It's like it's like you feel like you fell into a trap. They call you, you answer the phone, and they're like hi. After like that pause, you know that that dreaded pause where you pick up you say hello, you don't hear anything for five seconds. You still stay on the line, and next thing you know, they're like, oh, Hi, we have a great offer for you from you know, cable company, uh one oh one Mega Mega Monopoly. You're like oh, and then you know this person's so nice on the other end, you feel bad you're getting off the phone with them anyway. Eighty eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. If you call Kim to get on the phones here, she's our screener. She'll be very nice to you and hopefully you can get on the line here. Eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich DeMuro here hanging out with you talking technology. The phone lines are open at eight and eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one. Still got over an hour of the show, so give me a call. If you have a question about technology. Maybe you upgraded to the new iPhone. You can tell me why or what your reasoning was or maybe you're skipping this year. Coming up later in the show, we're going to talk to Matt Swider. He runs a great newsletter called The Shortcut. He's going to talk about the the iPhone sixteen. He was at the launch event in New York City where Tim Cook was, and he can talk about No Apple puts on these like wild parties for the launch of things that seems like only they can do. So there's a lot of I saw a lot of my friends there. They were all all outside that store. Let's see here. Let's go to line two. Line two is Kelly in Santa Clarita. Kelly, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 12: Hi, Rich, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 3: Sure. I have.
Speaker 12: Two Amazon Echo Dot. One's about sixty seven years old. One is maybe two to three years old. Left town for a couple of days, had several power surges during the heat waves. Came home and neither of them were working, and couldn't pair either of them and plug them both, let them, you know, clear their memory or whatever their issue was. And the older one I was able to pair and get working. The newer one would not pair. So it took it to a friend's house to see if it was you know, here or somewhere else that would work.
Speaker 4: It worked beautifully at someone else's home.
Speaker 12: Brought it back, let the memory clear for about twenty four hours. Again, tried to pair it and it will not pair. So I'm at a loss. I don't know what to think.
Speaker 2: When you say pair, you mean like get it back on your account, like on your phone.
Speaker 12: Yeah, get it back to the internet and working so I can listen to camfi.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, it's uh and it is very easy to listen to uh the radio stations, any radio station really by by calling it out. It's quite quite incredible, incredible how simple the voice is on this thing.
Speaker 1: And if you listen to the show, you know that.
Speaker 2: I recently put a whole bunch of these things in my house because I'm upset at my Sono speakers. And it's wild how much more I'm listening to things because it's so easy to call up stuff through these uh.
Speaker 1: So the main.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would understand that. So a couple of things, A couple thoughts. Number one, have you tried to do a complete reset of this echo dot? Like I know you said you unplugged it and plugged it back in, but have you done like a factory reset where it actually like reboots everything back to factory.
Speaker 1: Have you tried that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, well that's what I think you need to try.
Speaker 12: But it did work up my friend's house immediately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that could be for various reasons.
Speaker 2: But I think we're we're trying to get it to work at your house, and I think this is the best way to do that. I think that this will basically you are resetting it. I think maybe this thing is confused at this point because it was you know, it was shocked with the power surges. You brought it to a friend's house, so it doesn't know, you know, if it should be what's what.
Speaker 1: It doesn't even know what it's doing at this point.
Speaker 2: So it's been connected to different had you I don't even know how you set it up at your friend's house. Did you set up with their internet or something?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 12: Oh interesting, My granddaughter took it and it's paired right up to his network and came on no bumb Okay.
Speaker 2: All right, So what I would do is I would I would do the factory reset, and you know the way that you do this is I would do the factory reset completely there's two different levels of reset. One is like like a soft reset. One is a factory. I think the factory is going to be the easiest and it's probably going to give you the best results. So what you want to do is press and hold the volume down and the microphone off buttons for twenty seconds until the light turns on and off again, and then your device will will enter set the initial set up mode and phone Yeah, like plug it in, volume down, press those two buttons at the same time, Volume down, microphone off for twenty seconds. This thing is gonna kind of, you know, go through some cycles of resetting, and it's going to be as if you just got it from the Amazon factory and then you try to pair it if it doesn't work to pair after that. Is this the two to three year old one or the seven year old.
Speaker 4: One year old one?
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's not that old, So you can you can appeal to Amazon. I know this is way out of its you know, warranty, but you never know it's Amazon. You may, you know, with the way I would approach it, I'd say, hey, I've had this thing and it's just I don't know, it's not working anymore. You know, is there anything we can do to swap this out for a new one. You guys can take the old one to check it out and see what what went wrong. Or know, we do have Prime Day coming up. These things are not, you know, not terribly expensive. Obviously I don't I don't like to throw around. Oh, just buy a new one, but you know they do have the fifth generation is like thirty five bucks right now and over Prime Day will probably be even cheaper.
Speaker 1: So if you want to solve your hand, like playing a.
Speaker 12: New one because I love it so much, but it was weird that it works somewhere else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree, that is strange. I agree with that part.
Speaker 2: So but do the do the factory reset, try to pair it up again and let me know if it works.
Speaker 1: Send me an email.
Speaker 2: Go to the website rich on tech dot Tv, hit contact and h Kelly. I will be very curious to see if that fixes the issues.
Speaker 12: Okay, Okay, well, rich on what's it? Rich On.
Speaker 2: Rich on tech dot tv, And you'll see a little thing where it says contact and that's where you can send me an email.
Speaker 1: So I want an update, so I can update folks.
Speaker 12: Okay, I will give it a try which button is the microphone?
Speaker 2: It's not obvious the microphone, the microphone button, microphone off button. So it's the one that looks like it's the the one with like an X through it usually, or the microphone with an X through it.
Speaker 1: It depends on your model.
Speaker 3: But I'll i'll yeah, ok, yeah, I got it.
Speaker 13: It's got like a life through it.
Speaker 8: Okay, yep, I'll get it.
Speaker 11: Try and I'll send you an email.
Speaker 1: All right, Kelly, appreciate the call today.
Speaker 2: Eighty eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: This week, UH, Spectrum made a big deal about their new customer commitment. So if you have Spectrum Internet, they gave you a free speed upgrade. So the three hundred megabits per second plan is now up to four hundred megabits per second, the five hundred is up to six hundred. That's free, so you don't have to do anything. You'll just get I don't know, just I think it's probably already happened. So if your Internet feels a little bit speedier, that's what's going on.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 2: They also, you know, gave some commitments saying if if there's any issue before five pm. They'll have a same day technician come to your house. If an outage lasts over two hours, they'll give you a bill credit. They've got whole dollar pricing with taxes and fees included. No annual contracts, twenty four to seven US based customer service, thirty day money back guarantee for new services, fourteen days for mobile services.
Speaker 1: It's all good stuff.
Speaker 2: I think the main the main issue I have with Spectrum and all of these cable companies is they still want you to bundle. And I get that bundling is cheaper, and yes, you can save a lot of money if you bundle some of these Spectrum services.
Speaker 1: But I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: It's easy to get started with these services. It is a lot tougher to switch or cancel or change when you're doing stuff like this. You know you've gotten so used to Netflix. If you don't look it, you cancel online. It takes two seconds. With something like this, you do have to call in and ask and figure it out, send back. The equipment and the upload speeds for cable internet are still not as fast as fiber. But hey, you know what, I like what they're doing. I like customer commitments. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich zero here hanging out with you, talking technology. This is the show where I talk about the tech stuff I think you should know about. It's also the place where I answer your questions and yeah, you bring them every weekend right here eighty eight rich one on one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 1: The website for the show is rich on tech dot tv.
Speaker 2: I've realized I say that very fast most of the time rich on tech dot tv.
Speaker 1: If you go there, A couple of things to do.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: First off, sign up for my newsletter. Lots of good information in there. I always put a lot of effort into just sharing high quality, good information that you can use on a weekly basis. Usually goes out on Saturday mornings. If you want to do that, just put in your email address there. Let's see what else. Oh, you can hit the light bulb BiCon if you want to link to anything I mentioned on this show. This is show number ninety and you can just tap the light bulb up at the top get links to stuff I talk about. And if you hit contact, you can actually send me an email to ask me a question.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what Jill did. Let's see.
Speaker 2: Jill listens on KFI in Los Angeles says, I currently use the Apple password manager. Will it automatically be transferred to the new password manager in iOS eighteen?
Speaker 1: Thank you? The answer is yes.
Speaker 2: If you are using iCloud keychain, you've got a bunch of passwords in there already. When you download iOS eighteen and open up that passwords app, it will all be there. I noticed I don't use iCloud keychain, but I do have a couple of passwords in there for certain things, and they all came over to the new app.
Speaker 1: So eighty five Wi Fi passwords, let's see.
Speaker 2: And yeah, just a couple of other passwords as well. So interesting. Oh oh, that's the other thing it does. This is actually I meant to mention this if you used if you use that thing where it says like log in with Apple, right, like you know how sometimes you can sign up for a website says log in with Google, log in with Apple, log in.
Speaker 1: With Facebook, whatever. I don't really see that much anymore.
Speaker 2: But you'll see all the places that you've actually signed in with Apple in your list. So it's actually like the first time I've ever seen that where I can see all these different websites that I've signed up for using Apple's log in, And so you can go in there and let's see what you can do. You can edit, Let's see can you delete these logins if you want? Yeah, you can delete the logins. You can see what you did. So that's a nice way to clean up some of the logins that you may not want anymore.
Speaker 1: But yes, that passwords app is great.
Speaker 2: I typically prefer third party apps for everything because let's say you start using this passwords app a lot, you store all your passwords, and all of a sudden, Android comes out with the best phone you've ever seen in your life.
Speaker 1: You want to switch.
Speaker 2: Well, guess what, You're not gonna be able to use that passwords app on Android because it's Apple. You know, most of their stuff only works on Apple stuff. So that's why I typically prefer a third party program that works across all platforms, something like a dash Lane, something like a bit Warden, something like a one password. But if you are just wanting something for free, you're not going to leave Apple anytime soon, and you know you're not going to use anything else, use the passwords app. It's way better than not using a passwords app. Let's go to line two.
Speaker 1: We've got Leslie in Coda de Casa California. In parentheses it says where the Real Housewives lived? Did Kim add that? Or did Leslie say that you're on with Rich?
Speaker 13: Kim added that we had about it?
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know that nonsense, but I'm sure I know those are popular shows. And I did watch a little bit of The New Jersey Housewives back in the day before it, you know, I just actually saw it on the one of the systems. It had like fourteen seasons. I'm like, wait, what I watched like the first one? Anyway, what can I help you with today?
Speaker 13: I need assistance with either recovering or resetting my Microsoft account log in, which I apparently have but I did not know I had, and I don't know if it was an eight hundred number. I'm trying to do it online and it's not working.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you're trying. What are you trying to do? Exactly?
Speaker 13: So Cox, the cable company that's who I had my email addressed with forever, We're talking twenty thirty years and they recently got out of the business. I don't know if you knew that the email business, and they transitioned our accounts to Yahoo.
Speaker 1: Correct, So I've heard nothing about horrible stories.
Speaker 13: Yes, thank you. So we can still use Cox dot net. We don't have to change that, which is good. But obviously it's just a background process through Yahoo. So I can access my new emails, send emails, et cetera through their app. That's working fine. However, I've had Microsoft Outlook installed on my laptop computer forever and it was always attached to cocks So now I need to go in and update the settings, the incoming outgoing servers whatnot to attach to my Yahoo. Yes, but they're saying I have a Microsoft account. Well I've I've had this Outlook set up since the beginning of time. There was not even such a thing as a Microsoft account. So they say I have one. I'm trying to reset it. It's forcing me to answer all these questions on a recovery email. What's the name of the email, what's the subject line? I've tried it three times.
Speaker 1: It doesn't work, Okay, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think you need the Microsoft account to access your Yah your coxmail through Yahoo.
Speaker 1: Mal because those are two separate things. So what what are you.
Speaker 2: Trying to log in with the Microsoft account because you don't need to log into the Microsoft account to use Outlook.
Speaker 13: Well, I can't send and receive emails anymore through Microsoft Outlets outlooks it's the data.
Speaker 1: Book, right, Okay, So here's what you need to do.
Speaker 2: I think what happened is when you added the cos email, it was using Cox servers, right, and those servers.
Speaker 1: Are no longer. They're no longer doing that.
Speaker 2: So it used to be the email address was like something like let's say like imap dot Cox dot net, right, So that's probably how your Outlook is set up.
Speaker 1: So what I would do is I.
Speaker 2: Would add the Yahoo mail account. So when you go into when you're in Outlook, it says add a new account.
Speaker 1: Do you know what? Can you get to that screen where it says add a new account?
Speaker 13: I'm sure I can, Yes, Okay.
Speaker 2: So go to that screen and you're gonna choose Yahoo. I know it's it's odd that you're choosing Yahoo, but basically you're gonna choose the Yahoo mail account.
Speaker 1: And when you do that, it will ask you for your log in.
Speaker 2: Your log in is going to be your full email address, which is your you know, whatever your email address is at Cox. Is that still your That's still your email address.
Speaker 8: Right it is? Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so there you go.
Speaker 2: So you you put that in the in the log in information under the email, and then the password is going to be your cos email password. You still have that somewhere, I'm not sure, okay, so that okay? Yeah, So once you have that, you popped that into the password and it should automatically find all these settings by itself.
Speaker 1: So that's what I would do first.
Speaker 13: I'm not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, updating the servers is that's another way of doing it, but I think that's too complicated. So I think that the way to the way to do this first is just you want access to your email, So let's get that first by logging in and getting it. And then once you have access and you see all your emails and all of your back emails, then you can go ahead and delete that old whatever your old connection was, you know, if it was set up as Cox dot net, whatever it was, you can just go ahead and delete that out of outlook.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: The only caveat here is the way that your email was set up as there's two different ways that email can be set up. One is called POP and one is called IMAP. Now, if it's set up as POP, and I know this gets a little confusing, but POP actually downloads all the information from the remote server and stores it on your computer, whereas IMAP just mirrors the server. And that's the much more modern method that most email accounts use because you make one change on your computer and if you go on that same email account on your phone, that change is reflected there. With POP, it only changes it on your computer, and that's like a little bit of a different thing.
Speaker 1: But anyway, my point is, use both of.
Speaker 13: Those at some point, and hopefully it's on IMAP now.
Speaker 2: But yeah, exactly, a lot of a lot of the old school stuff was popped now it's all IMAP. But the main thing you want to do is just add that account. Once it's on there, then you can go ahead and make sure you have access to all of your old emails, and then you can just delete that old account off of there and that should really fix it. But that's it, and I think it's gonna work. And by the way, and what's.
Speaker 13: What if I get a new computer, a new laptop, and I don't know my Microsoft log in and I'm trying to install out.
Speaker 10: The whole suite.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that is something that you're gonna have to You're eventually going to have to figure out that log in. The only the only hint I can give you there is, you know, Microsoft usually has like some sort of like recovery page, Like if you go to Microsoft Account recovery, hopefully you can get some sort of information that can get you back online with that. The only thing I would do is and by the way, if do you have access to like three six, are you paying for that right now?
Speaker 1: Or no?
Speaker 9: No, not yet.
Speaker 13: I'm sure I will in the new computer. But I have been doing the recovery suggestions for Microsoft because I thought I was resending the server and it's so confusing. It's asking me questions I'm answering, and it's just saying, sorry, we can't find it, we can't help you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that could be the case.
Speaker 2: So that the bottom line is maybe just sign up for a new Microsoft account if you need that down the line, and that way you have it fresh, you know what you're doing, and you've got all the information saved. The other the only other hint I would give you is that sometimes a Microsoft account, like if you sometimes it's like an email address like mine is actually another email address, which is thoroughly confusing and it you know, it's just one of those things where it's kind of weird. So it's like a different email address from a different company that I use as my Microsoft account like username, which is just totally like that doesn't make any sense, but that's the way I said it. Yeah, Leslie, thanks so much for the call today. Do you ever see any the housewives when you're out and about or.
Speaker 13: No, all the time?
Speaker 1: Uh, there you go.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a beautiful area, so I understand why they might want to live there. Thanks so much for the call today. Hopefully you get access to that account. Eighty to eight rich one O one eight eight eight seven four to two four one zero one.
Speaker 1: Coming up, we'll take more of your calls.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna explain why if you drive a GM EV you've got many more charging options, and later on we're gonna talk to Matt Swider about the new iPhone sixteen. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology live from Las Vegas today.
Speaker 1: And uh, let's see. Yeah, beautiful day here, one of the most beautiful days I've remembered in Las Vegas because the weather is perfect.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm here doing the show. Wife is out by the pool. It's a it's a good day, and we're going to a concert. It's you know, it's just fun. It's fun to get away for a little bit and enjoy things like this. Uh, let's go to line four. Line four is Karen and San Pedro. Karen, you're on with Rich.
Speaker 8: Hi, good morning, Thank.
Speaker 1: You absolutely what can I help you with this morning?
Speaker 8: When I turned on my phone, I have a Samsung S twenty four, it's only a couple months old. Instead of the home screen opening up, a different page showed up. It was a message saying that they were going to install apps on my phone, and I had a choice of two things at the bottom, once said information or continue. I pressed information and it said if you press continue, you will have apps installed that we think you will need. It did not give me a back arrow, a forward arial. It did not give me any way to get out of the screen. I kept tapping it. I kept going backwards and forwards on it up and down sideways trying to get out of it. I'm not sure how I got out of it, but I finally did. But I want to know what to do the next time as this comes up. But I think it's quite I'm not sure the word, but for them to say that they're going to install apps on my phone without my permission basically.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, so I got to break this down. I got to figure out what's happening here. So this is Was this a software update? Like, were you installing a major software update?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 8: No, it just the screen came up when I Instead of my homepage coming up, this page came up and it was in different colors, quite pretty, and it said we're going to start installing apps on your screen. And at the very bottom you had a choice of two things, which said information or continue. I don't have the page in front of me because I got rid of it, and I pushed information rather than continue. And it basically said, we are going to start installing apps on your phone based on things that we think you will need. And I thought, no, I want to stall my own apps. I want the choice. And so I sat scrolling back and forth and tapping it and scrolling up, scrolling down, sideways, trying to figure a way to get out of the screen because it did not offer me an option other than let them install.
Speaker 2: Interesting, I'm wondering, I'm trying to figure out if this is a Samsung thing or a third party app thing. And I'm thinking that it might be a third party app.
Speaker 1: When was the last time you installed an app on your phone?
Speaker 8: Only when I bought it. When I bought it, they took the apps that I had from my previous phone and brought them over. I don't usually have too many apps on usually just what is required to on the phone and a couple others. But I don't like to have a lot of apps.
Speaker 2: Okay, so a couple things first off, so physically to get around, so a lot of times, whenever there's a menu in the middle of your phone that you can't get out of, there's typically you have to keep swiping to get out of it, which this I'm just saying in general, Like I don't know exactly what this screen showed, but I'm just saying the things that I've seen. But a lot of apps try to trick us into doing things we don't want to do.
Speaker 1: It's called a dark pattern.
Speaker 2: And so with this one, with this one specifically, you know, there may have been a thing where you had to swipe or you had to keep moving to the final screen before you can say no, that could have happened otherwise. A lot of times I noticed app developers will put a tiny X somewhere on the screen in the menu that you can't really see. It's very faint, and a lot of times it says, oh, do you want to subscrib and subscribe as in big bold letters in the middle or the bottom, or download this, But in the upper right hand corner, upper left hand corner, there's a tiny faint X that you can use.
Speaker 1: To X out of that.
Speaker 2: Now, for the future, I would look for something like that, but in this case to get out of something like this, typically are you using the physical keys at the bottom two? Are they using the virtual keys to move around your phone or using the swipe gestures.
Speaker 8: Well to ulpen it. I usually just to swipe, and then if I want to change pages, I usually use the little upside down arrow to go from left page to the next to that.
Speaker 1: What you mean, okay?
Speaker 2: So usually so at the bottom of your phone, is there are there a little like three buttons there or no like on your screen?
Speaker 8: Ah, yes, yes buttons okay.
Speaker 2: So like one'll take you to the homepage, one will take you back, one will take you to the Uh. Yeah, I gotta remember because mine is not set up that way. But the bottom line is right.
Speaker 8: Those were not available to me.
Speaker 1: Nothing, okay.
Speaker 8: Page just had their suggestion that I let them apply apps to the phone.
Speaker 2: Okay, So in the future when that happens, I would just go ahead and restart your phone and see if that goes away. Otherwise you can swipe in from the right hand corner to go back and maybe just keep going back until you get rid of it. But I would go through if I were you, Karen, I would go through your list of apps, make sure there are no apps that you do not recognize or need uninstall those apps, restart your phone, and hopefully that does not happen again. Coming up, we're gonna talk iPhone sixteen. This is rich on Tech. Welcome back to rich On Tech. Rich Demiro here hanging out with you, talking technology the website rich On Tech dot TV. Well, it is the big iPhone week. iPhone sixteen now in stores. I shared my review of it on TV and on my website, rich on tech dot TV. Bottom line, I think this year for these phones, do you upgrade? That's what everyone always wants to know, right, I think the bottom line is if you have an iPhone fifteen Pro, Right, if you have an iPhone fifteen Pro or Promax, I think you skip this upgrade. If you have anything else, I think that this would be a good upgrade.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I know the changes are subtle on these phones, but I think that they prep you for a world of AI. If you don't want that, don't upgrade. The cameras are better, the microphones are better. This is on the Pro stuff. They've got the new action button. They've got the new camera control. I think is very hit or miss. But you know, it's one of these things where you have to decide, are you happy with your phone that you have, then you probably.
Speaker 1: Don't need a new one.
Speaker 2: But if you want to be prepped for the AI stuff and you don't have the fifteen Promacs, then you know you probably want to get one of these new phones. And I'll be honest, the video and pictures that I'm taking on these phones.
Speaker 1: Are really really good. Like I am.
Speaker 2: I was at the concert last night and the photos and videos I got are just truly incredible. Let's bring on the guy that was at the launch of the iPhone sixteen in New York City, Matt Swider. He is a writer of a newsletter called The Shortcut.
Speaker 1: Let's see here. Why am I echoing here?
Speaker 3: Up?
Speaker 1: There we go, Matt, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Hi, Rich, how you doing? Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: I am doing fantastic.
Speaker 2: So tell me you were out at the fifth Ave store in New York City. That's where it all started for me. I was there for the original iPhone in two thousand and seven.
Speaker 1: What was it like?
Speaker 14: Yeah, it's always a spectacle and it actually makes you know, pre order your iPhone at eight am, you know, getting that first time slot worth it because you know, I got to see Tim Cook, I got to see Jaws, who was in charge of marketing at Apple, and like all the key players are there, there's a lot of excitement and you get to be around really big fans of Apple products. So the iPhone came out, the Apple Watch and two new sets of AirPod AirPods four with a lot of pro features.
Speaker 2: When you say Jaws, you mean Greg jawswac He is the kind of worldwide head of Apple marketing. He's a big guy there. I mean, he's like very he knows his stuff, and it's it's so funny. I had a meeting with Apple once and like he was in the meeting. It was me and him, and I'm like, wait, I'm you're literally just meeting with me to like talk about some new product. And he's like, yeah, it's your time. You got fifteen minutes. I was like, oh, okay, cool. Anyway, that's a.
Speaker 1: Good long time with him.
Speaker 14: I take a photo with him every year with the new iPhone, which I've been playing with, the iPhone sixteen Pro Max along with the original iPhone, the iPhone one, just to compare how they are. So it's been three years running that he takes a photo with me. So I force them into that, but it's it's the start contrast of where we've gone with the latest phones.
Speaker 2: And do you post those I've seen this before. I kind of forgot that you did this, But do you post it on the shortcut dot com?
Speaker 3: I do?
Speaker 14: I do, And it takes a little while to get those photos off of the old iPhone because iTunes doesn't exist anymore. And you know, get grabbing those photos is a little difficult, but I managed to do it every year. So you'll see that on the shortcut coming up.
Speaker 1: That is so wild. It's tough to get the photos off the old phone.
Speaker 3: That is.
Speaker 1: I wish I kept my original iPhone.
Speaker 2: I probably howked it on eBay at some point for like one hundred bucks and like I now, I'm really kicking myself.
Speaker 1: It's an antique now. Yeah, all right, so what's your advice? What's your impressions of these devices? I know people are like, oh, it's a iteration, it's you know, it's not a big deal, but like, I actually think they did a really good job this year. It's like a sleeper awesome iPhone.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 14: I called it Apple's smartest upgrade yet, and that's simply because it's gonna have Apple Intelligence on there. And I'm on the iOS eighteen point one betas that's coming in October. But what I really like is one extra battery life and two I've been having a lot of fun that the four K one hundred and twenty frames per second, and that means it takes excellent slow motion video, almost like you're in a movie, and you know, I've been taking pictures of like New York City cabs and the crowds and everything, and it seems like the opening shot to a movie, and that's been a lot of fun. So definitely those are like the UNSOUMD features in my opinion that I didn't realize until I opened up the box. And then there's camera control, which is a very obvious new button to make stylizing your photos and opening up the camera app and capturing things really easy. So camera control is a new multifunction button, and that's brand new to all four new iPhones.
Speaker 10: Now.
Speaker 2: I do like the camera control for opening the camera. I sometimes forget to use it because it's still, you know, getting that muscle memory, and it saved me an icon on my home screen. But I do think that it's gonna take some getting used to if I ever use it for anything beyond opening up, Like I'm not really using it as the shutter are.
Speaker 14: You sometimes And I just like the versatility of it, and I really feel like there are people I talk to that say I didn't know I could stylize my photos because the auction was previously hidden too many, too many menus deep on screen, right, and so I'm almost finding people as I hand my phone to them saying, oh you can. You can change the undertones, you can change the styles of things. So it's kind of highlighting a lot of the versatility of the iPhone camera that was buried a little bit before. So it's that's where I see the functionality playing a big role.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the thing that's new with all the photograph styles, I think that's what they used to call it.
Speaker 1: I don't know if they still do. You know, if you want to.
Speaker 2: Take like photos that are kind of like, you know, just the contrast is boosted or something like that, you can do it every single time and you can set that just once before it would change the actual photo. Now it's like non destructive, Like if you want, you can actually go back and let's say, let's say you took all your pictures black and white right for like a week and you're like, oh, man, like now I want these in color again. You can actually go through and like remove that which before you couldn't right.
Speaker 14: Right to give you an analogy of those Instagram photos that we all took back in the day that kind of looked like old faded polaroids that was like a style, but you know, if you didn't keep the original photo from before that you can't really go back, so you're your point of like, it's non destructive. It's like if the style changes in the future, those original photos still exist. So I find that really helpful to you can you can set the tone and set the style live in the camera, but you can also change it in post, which is really nice.
Speaker 1: What do you make of the different models?
Speaker 2: So, I know the iPhone sixteen is typically for you know, the average person doesn't necessarily need like all the wild features on the pro models.
Speaker 1: You know, what's your recommendation here?
Speaker 14: Yeah, so you know, the prices start at seven ninety nine for the regular iPhone at sixteen. I really like the colors ultramarine is this like bluish purple color that I highly recommend. They also have pink, teal, white, and black. Those are really good photos out of the main camera and the ultra wide camera. But it lacks a telephoto camera. So if you want to spend you know, two hundred more dollars, you can get the iPhone sixteen Pro as opposed to the iPhone sixteen and sixteen plus. I think that is worth it for a lot of people out there. They might not know it because they all have really excellent battery life up to four extra hours than last year's iPhones. But the telephoto makes the difference. There's a couple extra things like sensors, and I just I bought my parents last year. I upgraded them from the iPhone. You know, they were on the iPhone se two, right, I was a bad son. They had that for way too long, so I upgrade them to the last year's iPhone. Getting a bigger screen is a big deal, and so the pros have a slightly bigger screen and it makes just life easier in my opinion, it's it's small, it's point two inches bigger six point three inches and six point nine inches for the Pro and the Pro Max. The keyboard is just easier to use. And that's the first thing my parents told me when they tried a new phone, going from four point five inches to six point one So that is like, it's the life improvement for a lot of people using their phone daily. So those what the pros offer, you know, the telephoto camera, the key the keyboard that's bigger because the screen is bigger and six point three inches is a good happy medium for a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 2: And also, I mean, I know it's it's kind of like a nerdy thing to talk about the refresh rate, and I know it's gotten, you know, in the tech circles, it's like overdone.
Speaker 1: It's over talked about.
Speaker 2: And I will say, like my wife has one that with the you know, it's a standard model right without the higher refresh rate, And when I go from my phone to hers, it's like, wait, what this is really slow? Everything looks like the animations are slow because it's got what's called a sixty Hurtz refresh rate versus one twenty I think is on the pro And so it's just everything looks smoother and more buttery with your you know, movements and animations on your phone because the screen is a little bit better.
Speaker 1: I think next year that's going to be fixed.
Speaker 2: But I don't think the average person even notices that, right if you're not looking at both phones at the same time all the time.
Speaker 14: There's a very vocal group that you know can see the difference, that you can see it side by side, but a lot of people don't notice it until they experience it for a while. Where that screen refresh rate even scrolling through Instagram. You don't have to be like a hardcore gamer to really appreciate it. So once you begin to use it, it's hard to go back. But if you don't notice it, you know, and you your price point is like I can't spend more than seven ninety nine and you still want to upgrade to the latest iPhones. You know that the iPhone sixteen is a pretty good deal, and a lot of carriers are offering up to one thousand dollars off. Apple will give you six hundred and fifty dollars off if you trade it in the latest iPhone fifteen Pro Match, but carriers, because they have you know you're paying more over time, we'll give you up to one thousand dollars off. So there are good deals out there if you hunt for them.
Speaker 2: All right, Matt Swider the Shortcut dot com. Subscribe to it. It is free. It's a great newsletter. You got what one hundred and something thousand people that get this every week and some really great information there.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much for joining me today.
Speaker 14: Absolutely thanks for having me on Rich All right.
Speaker 1: Matt, looking forward to seeing that comparison picture again. It's so wild.
Speaker 2: We thought pictures were so good on the older iPhones, and now every time we get a new one, it's like, wait, that's what we used to have.
Speaker 1: Fun stuff eighty eight.
Speaker 2: Actually, let's not do the phone number because we're gonna do the feedback when we come back. So if you want to get in on that Richontech dot TV, hit contact. We'll get some of your messages coming up right after this. Welcome back to rich on Tech. Rich Demiro here closing out the show. Let me get through a couple of news headlines before we get to the feedback. GM You have a GM EV. You now have access to Tesla superchargers. You do need an adapter though you got to buy the adapter. It's two hundred and twenty five dollars. Once you have that, you can plug in at Tesla superchargers. There are seventeen eight hundred of them, and if you have experience with other chargers, throw it all away, because the Tesla chargers are incredible. They work, they're fast, and it's all automatic. It is not like what you're used to. This is a big deal as all of these automakers adopt the Tesla superchargers.
Speaker 1: If you're a gm EV. Definitely get that adapter. Check it out. Flappy Bird making a comeback. Flappy Bird. Remember this game.
Speaker 2: You've flopped the bird, you know, you get through all the little things in the on the screen and it's uh, it was got God. It's been ten years since it went away, but it's returning to iOS and Android in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: Not by the original creator.
Speaker 2: He removed it in twenty fourteen because too many people were addicted to it. I don't think it was that addictive, but I guess maybe it was. Flappy Bird Foundation bought it. Now they're going to have all new game modes, basketball, competitive practice. Look for it in twenty twenty five. They've got a one minute teaser trailer if you have a Samsung Galaxy S twenty four Ultra got a huge software update, all new AI enhancements, sketched image, AI portrait styles, writing, assistant call, real time call translation, PDF stuff, voice recording to text notes. All the stuff that they introduced on their foldable phones earlier this couple months ago is now on the S twenty four Ultra.
Speaker 1: That phone just keeps getting better.
Speaker 2: I still think on the Android side of things, that is the powerhouse that's the phone to beat pixels.
Speaker 1: Nice, but the S twenty four Ultra actually feels powerful. YouTube.
Speaker 2: When you pause YouTube on your TV, don't be surprised if you see an ad. YouTube is rolling out pause ads, so when you pause a video on your TV screen, you will see an ad. We're seeing this with so many streaming services. What's the other one? Peacock has it at and t DirecTV. So many of these things have it. So if you're not paying for the service, like if you have an AD supported, you're going to be seeing those ads on the pause screen.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, right. Let's see here.
Speaker 2: We've got Gail from Huntington Beach Rights in I've received several alarming emails I suspect or spam. They include my personal information and an attachment. The letter claims they've tracked me visiting adult sites, added something to my apps to monitor me, and threatened to share compromising pictures with my contacts unless I pay bitcoin. I've received four of these from different senders. What steps should I be taking to protect myself? There are no steps you can take. Just protect your email address as much as possible. This is this is basically referred to as an extortion email. What they're doing is they're finding personal information on the web, like an old password or something, and they're pasting in that pasting it in that email, and they're making it seem like they know about you, but they're just sending this out to all people. Don't respond, don't click links in the email. Change your password. If one of the passwords they mentioned is one that you still use, do not reuse that. That's why I never say to reuse the passwords, and obviously don't pay the ransom. They don't actually have anything on you. Bob writes in from Baron Dooda Baron Doudah. After getting the official iOS eighteen update as a beta subscriber, I noticed issues the next day. Calls weren't coming through, and my Apple Watch wasn't tracking walks. Turns out Do not Disturb was on full time despite being scheduled for night hours only. The update might have occurred during the schedule do not Disturb time. Watch out for this. If you update, check your do not Disturb settings. After Steve from Beaumont writes in, Hey, Rich, I know you are frugal, so this is an observation rather than a question. In many instances, Amazon tax on the cost of shipping to an item that might cost less at other vendors. Case in point, I needed to resupply my men in skin bracer aftershave Amazon's price two for seventeen nineteen Walmart six dollars twenty seven cents. I ordered it and picked it up within an hour. I suppose that my order met a certain amount, I could have had it shipped to me for free, but that's not the point. Amazon tacked on a couple bucks and has the chutzpah to say free shipping. I thought I paid for shipping with my annual fee. Yes, Steve, you're right. You notice something. People don't price check Amazon because they have the prime and they just order stuff on there. They don't realize sometimes it is cheaper on other websites. You found that out. Dylan from our we did a story with retro Respawn on TV. This was a video game used video game shop.
Speaker 1: Good morning.
Speaker 2: Just want to congratulate you on the awesome story about the retro gaming community and to personally express my gratitude for covering our video game store.
Speaker 1: Video games have always been my passion.
Speaker 2: It makes me happy to be able to reach more people in our community who are rediscovering their childhood or have yet to discover the pioneers of gaming world. Nothing beats a newcomer super excited to see and talk about all the retro stuff from their childhood. Some carry sentimental, cherished memories behind them and always warms my heart knowing I could spark an emotion in others.
Speaker 1: It reminds me why I do what I do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you want to watch that story Retro Respawn, it was great. We did it on TV and you can check the newsletter this week for that. Tony writes in thank you Rich Honestly I appreciate it. I mentioned I religiously listen to all of your podcasts.
Speaker 1: You have a unique way of helping people.
Speaker 2: Love when you personalize your events, your wonderful family, love when your mom, wife and kid was on your show. Very entertaining. Thank you again. Well, thank you Tony for listening. I really do appreciate it. And you know, look, we're all human.
Speaker 1: I'm just sharing my experience going through this world as a person that's really into technology, and hopefully along the way I can help you and others as well. That is going to do it.
Speaker 2: For this episode of the show, You can find links to everything I mentioned on my website. Just go to rich on tech dot TV. That's Rich on tech dot TV. You can find me on social media. I am at rich on tech. Next week I will be back in Los Angeles. I will have more tech news, tips, reviews, and all kinds of fun stuff for you. Thanks so much for listening. As always, there are so many ways you can spend your time. You know, I do appreciate you spending it right here with me. That is not lost on me. You take time out of your day to sit here with me and listen. I absolutely appreciate that. Thanks to everyone who makes this show possible. My name is rich Demiro, signing off this time from Las Vegas.
Speaker 1: I will talk to you real soon.