Speaker 1: You are listening to The Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Howard chewing this Monday Best and Worst of the weekend. Once you saw that you liked, you didn't like, Operator Tyler sitting by, Take your phone calls. Stat of the Day brought to you by Panini America, the Official Trading Cards and NFT said The Dan Patrick Show check in with the Thunder coming up. After an impressive win, they even the series. You know the thing with Indiana, if you're a basketball fan and you followed them during the postseason, you realized that, okay, they're down fifteen, they can come back. So you're watching it differently than you would maybe other NBA teams NBA games. They've proven that, all right, we're down fifteen, we can come back. Therefore, I stayed with the game a lot longer than I would normally have stayed. But Okase was different last night because it started with SGA. He was different. He would get in the lane, he would draw two or three defenders and then he would kick it out. And they were making their threes. They're not a three point shooting team, but they became one last night, or show they're capable. They played great defense, Tyrese Haliburton. I want to see a little more aggression there, but I'm gonna give Okase credit for that. They played great defense once again. So the Thunder and the Pacers. Now they head to Indiana. That'll be coming up Game three on Wednesday nine. All right, we'll get to phone calls as we always do every Monday, best and worst of the weekend. And if you were going to say Scotty Scheffler versus the field? Right now the DraftKings odds, Scotty is an overwhelming favorite to win at Oakbant plus two seventy five. Next on the list is Rory at plus eight point fifty. Then it's Bryce and Deshambeau, John Rahm and a even longer shot with Zanders Shoffley. It feels like it's Scotty Scheffler's to lose. Is Scotty worthy now? Is he Tiger worthy to be Scotty versus the field? I think he only has two majors. It feels like he's got five. But he's got two majors and always in contention the other tournaments that he's winning. But it feels like he's he's at least in the area code of Tiger Woods when it comes to how great he is. And I always look at your competitors. Now, the live guys can still play in these majors. You know, John Rahm is able to play in this, Bryce and de Shambeau can play. You know, being a former champ, you're allowed in at the Masters, and so you're still competing against great players. The thing is is those players playing on the Live Tour who were in Virginia where Joaquin Neeman wins over the weekend, nobody cares and it's not really a true test of what you saw at the RBC where you know their sudden death, you know, go to extra holes. There that pressure and Paul just said three majors there for Scotty. Okay, but you know these guys on the Live Tour, you're not in that pressure cooker environment. You're not in that I gotta make the cut. You know, everybody gets paid, everybody's having a nice time. Yeah, you want to win, but you know, I don't know if people are losing their jobs because their team didn't or you didn't win the team event at the Live Tour. But getting in that mode of when you're when you're playing on the PGA Tour. It's just different, feels different, it's treated differently. It's not a casual thing. It's serious and I think trying to get ready to gear up to play in a major, that's the hard part. You know. John Rahm was maybe the best player in the world and then he went to live and he's not the best player, but he's still a great player. You know, even when you look at Tiger, how many times did he face off, go toe to toe with a great player to win the Major? Not often? I mean, rock O Media is a wonderful, wonderful guy and a fun guy to be around. Who is it May that was at Valhalla? I think who was a great amateur player? Like his last name is May. You know, you don't run down the list of who did he go against? And that's not, you know, not Tiger's fault that Ernie Els wasn't there or Phil wasn't there on a consistent basis. You know, you look at Nicholas, Nicholas, it felt like, okay, you got Trevino and Gary Plair and you got Tom Watson. You know, you can run down the list of guys who were Hall of Famers, who were usually there with Jack. So that's what I want to see. I want to se see guys going toe to toe with Scottie Scheffler and you know, hopefully that's Rory or Bryson de Shamba. I mean, that's what you want, you know, that's where it's memorable, where you have the showdown between those two. What was May's Do we know what his first name was?
Speaker 3: It's Bob May.
Speaker 2: Bob May. I was gonna say Brad May. Like Matt Gogel, Wasn't he a guy who competed against Tiger at Pebble in the US Open. Matt Gogel might have finished second at fifteen shots back, but I mean Tiger kind of blew people out of the water there. Yeah, Pauling, I went back and looked.
Speaker 4: At the odds.
Speaker 5: While you're talking about Tiger or Scotti Schffler being more of a favorite. Twenty years ago, Tiger Woods was five to one to win the US Open. The guys that were close to him were Phil Mickelson, Ernie Els, VJ. Singh and then it dropped off dramatically. However, Scotti Scheffler is more of a favorite to win this US Open than Tiger Wood was to win the US Open in two thousand and five for a comp.
Speaker 2: Here's something I didn't realize. I actually lost to bet. Guy goes, uh, hey, you know when Tiger won the Masters nineteen ninety seven. I go, yeah, yeah, it was there. He goes, Do you know that Jack Nicholas finished higher than Tiger the next Major or the next Masters? I go, wait, hold on, here, hold on, he said, check it that Jack I think finished sixth at the Masters in nineteen ninety eight. Does that sound right because I would have thought jacket Jack didn't finish higher. Yes, PAULI, that is correct.
Speaker 5: Jack Nicholas was five under, tied for sixth with David Toms, and Tiger was tied for eighth at three under.
Speaker 2: Isn't that amazing? Yes? I mean Jack in eighty six when he was what forty six when he won?
Speaker 5: Yeah, PAULI, fred Marcomera won that Masters, was and Freddy Couples was in there, Paul Aisinger classics.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But Jack Nicholas finishing higher than Tiger at Augusta. All right. So we have Oakmont, beautiful, challenging golf course. And I made the mistake of if you had the ball above the hole, it can roll off the green if you put it, but it it's spectacular. They took down a lot of trees there a long time ago. But beautiful clubhouse the eighteenth is awesome, and you know, hopefully weatherwise it'll be fun there with the US Open. All right, poll question for hour two is going to be what Seaton no counter we got up there right now?
Speaker 6: Will the NCAA settlement shift college sports either a game changer or not really? Right now, fifty four percent of the audience have it as a not really that significant.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think that's pretty interesting.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 6: We're also putting up their most strenuous sport between the three currently happening, Basketball, Hockey, Tennis. I anticipate hockey to run away with this. I anticipate basketball to be second and tennis will be third. And I don't know if it should be that order.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, recency biased. When you're out there for five and a half hours mentally and physically. I still marvel at what hockey players do. Unbelievable. I mean, I just see there's certain sports when you watch and you go, why don't I watch more of this?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: Definitely like yesterday when you're watching tennis, you go, God, I should watch more of this. Well, not every match is like that, but hockey playoff hockey is like that, and you'll watch hockey and you I should watch more of this.
Speaker 6: I could watch playoff hockey, doesn't matter who's playing. Hockey is one of the best of all the sports. It seems like the best combination of skill and like grit or toughness.
Speaker 2: And you're doing it on skates and you're doing it on ice and they got a stick and you got a stick, and that puck is going one hundred miles an hour. What could go wrong?
Speaker 5: Yeah, It's like as they were inventing it, they kept saying, let's make it tougher. All right, So we're gonna be just running around. No, no, no, We're gonna go on ice, ice, and you're gonna use a stick, and then the blades, and then one guy's gonna have no face mask.
Speaker 2: The goalie.
Speaker 5: Now, no face mask, you can't have it. We'll wait a couple decades. Then we'll get a face mask for the goal.
Speaker 2: Do we get to wear helmets? Now you don't have to.
Speaker 6: Now we're gonna make it ruin the game. Yes, great, you gotta wear a helmet. Okay, you have us seen like sometimes the slow motion, like a dude will get still even with the face mask and the helmet everything, but the stick gets.
Speaker 2: Up into that shield.
Speaker 6: Like gosh, yeah, what happens with hockey players the dexterity. It's crazy toughness doing it on skates. Yes, yes, Martin, you're the designated fighter now. Your entire life up until then, you scored one hundred goals a game. Like, you know what, you're the best fighter. That's all you do. You're going to protect Sidney Crosby or Wayne Gretzky. You're going to fight.
Speaker 2: But I like that they don't fight in the postseason for the most part. Like they'll kind of jostle around a little bit there and you know, say something and push and shove and all that. But you know, I want to see the great That was the problem I always had when I was watching hockey. Now, this is when the Devils were really good, and you know, they would score two goals and then they would go into their zone defense and all of a sudden, this shell and then nobody was scoring. And I remember watching one time and Barry Milrose he was telling me. I said, Barry what should I be watching for? He said, you see that guy right there? I said, yeah, he goes best player in hockey. It was Peter Forsburg And I go, all right, So I watched and I go, uh, I didn't see anything. He he's looking at things that I'm not. I mean, I'm gonna see did you score, that's all? Did you assist or anything? And uh. But you want when people tune in, you want them to be able to see that guy is great because I there's times when I watch soccer where I'll go that guy didn't do anything, but he's the best, one of the best players.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: I'll watch MESSI sometimes and you go, all right, let me see it. I see walking all the time. I thought you were supposed to run all the time. And then I just watching and then all of a sudden you just see this little bolt of lightning, like, you know, just wobbling. And then all of a sudden you're going, how can he be the best player in this sport? And then you see it and you go, damn yes.
Speaker 9: Marv Hockey also has two of the best tradition traditions in sports, the playoff beard and the playoff handshake.
Speaker 4: After every series. Two of the best traditions in all the sports.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's it's it's great. Yeah, it's fun. Playoff hockey, yeah, Paul.
Speaker 5: The NHL didn't require players to wear helmets until the seventy nine eighty season, but if you entered the league the year before or any time before, you were grandfathered in. So a lot of players said, no, you're not going to force me to. The first ever hockey player to wear a helmet was a Boston Bruins defenseman named George Owen. He also played at Harvard Football, so he grabbed his old Harvard leather helmet and wore it and was made fun of and the press soft. Yeah, there's a lot of different In the nineteen thirties, the Maple Leafs, the whole team were instructed to wear helmets and the media just crushed them.
Speaker 2: But the goaltender didn't have a mask like a man. Yeah, wasn't that Jacques Plant Wasn't he the first to wear a mask? You imagine? And I remember seeing hockey mask where they would have like us, makeshift stitches in it where they got hit and then they would you know, have somebody draw stitches there Craig McTavish. Isn't he the last guy? Yeah, he was the last one who went without a helmet. Yes, Todd did.
Speaker 3: Catchers and baseball always have a face mask.
Speaker 10: Was there a time where like you could just get hit right in the face with a fastball if you didn't get your glove up? You were thinking the early times they had either very antiquated equipment or maybe no equipment at the very early days. Imagine belittling a catcher or a hockey player because they want to protect their face from a buckler of.
Speaker 2: Baseball soft Adam in Chicago, Hi, Adam, what's on your mind today? Hey? Dan?
Speaker 11: To take him a call? Yep, best and the worst.
Speaker 2: We're best.
Speaker 11: Arizona Baseball lost eighteen to two, and their first game in Chapel Hill three game series came back heavy underdogs dramatic fashion won the next two, punched their ticket to Omaha, the worst Europa League first major titles believe had in twenty something years. And they go ahead and just punt their Australian manager to the curb just so spurs and then uh just had a question for you guys, pull question or discuss amongst yourself curious. What is more enjoyable as a sports fan. Is it sitting down and actually watching the game, taking it in as it unfolds in front of you organically, or is it afterwards the next day, what you guys do so well and what we all tune in for breaking it down, hot, taking it, discussing it, predicting the ramifications of the future. What do we actually enjoy it more as sports fans?
Speaker 8: Take it in the.
Speaker 2: Game or yeah I got it? Yeah, I got big wind up there, Adam, come on. Just to clarify streamline.
Speaker 3: Top way, people are a long winded like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know. Don't you hate those people talk?
Speaker 3: So there's got to be a shorter way to say that.
Speaker 2: Land the plane, Okay, land the plane. What do I like more? Chopping it up the day after or watching? Mind? Say, watching it? Yeah, I mean that's why I got into this because I was watching and then you wanted to have the opportunity to talk about it. But yeah, I would say watching, Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 5: There is a cool feeling of certain sporting events. It's almost like a haze that stays with you the day after, Like the French Open. The next day you're like, man, that was an experience that game where triple overtime hockey, Like the next morning you wake up because that was something I experienced last night where you almost want to talk about with anybody.
Speaker 2: Well, if you you know game one with the Pacers and okay, see blows a big lead and then you have you know, Tyre's Haliburton with the game winner, and then you can break that down. But in the moment, like nothing surpasses the moment of watching something like that. I enjoy looking back on something or having guests who will help you give you insights, or you'll hear from the person who hit the shot. You know, that's the fun part of it as well, is adding to that. And that's what our job is always advancing how do we advance? I don't always like looking back, as much as you can look back and then you look ahead. I think that's really, you know, that's essential in what we try to do. Yes, Tom, no one's.
Speaker 3: At the water cooler at their job eleven hours after the FED.
Speaker 1: Is it a shot?
Speaker 3: It just you lose the moment. It happens right at that moment.
Speaker 10: I do an'tyway is that really a debate between watching something in the moment and talking about it several hours.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Oh, I think so. I don't know if people go to the water cooler anymore. I don't know when. I don't even know if we have breakrooms. I don't know if people get together that way. I think you may on social media. I think you may correspond with your phone. I don't know if you know a text change. I don't know if you're hey, you're going to chop it up in the breakroom with Tom and Skippy and Sally. You want to join us? Sure? I mean, I don't know if that happens at the mothership of the cafeteria, where all of a sudden everybody's sitting down and talking about what happened. I mean usually when I got to the breakroom to have lunch, I didn't want to talk Spot Worts like Bill Pedo sits down, wants to talk, you know, ranger hockey. I go, Bill, No, not today, Get out of here, Get out of here.
Speaker 4: That's why he left.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Bill Pedo, Yes, play What a character? What a character Pedo was? Let me take a break. We'll check in with the Thunder. One of their announcers, Michael Cage, former Seattle Supersonic. He'll join us and he'll tell us what we saw last night. We ready for a heavy dose of that the rest of the finals and Paul Finbaumb of the Mothership. We'll talk about this settlement, what it means for college athletics, what it means for you as a fan. Have that for you coming up a little bit later on. We're back after this and the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 12: Hey, Steve Could and I'm Rich David and together we're Covino and Rich on Fox Sports Radio. You could catch us weekdays from five to seven pm Eastern two to four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and of course the iHeartRadio app. Why should you listen to Covino and Rich. We talk about everything life, sports, relationships, what's.
Speaker 1: Going on in the world.
Speaker 12: We have a lot of fun talking about the stories behind the stories in the world of sports and pop culture, stories that well other shows don't seem to have the time to discuss. And the fact that we've been friends for the last twenty years and still work together.
Speaker 2: I mean that says something.
Speaker 12: Right, So check us out. We like to get you involved too, take your phone calls, chop it up. As they say, I'd say, the most interactive show on Fox Sports Radio, maybe the most interactive show on planetar. Be sure to check out Covino and Rich live on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app from five to seven pm Eastern, two to four Pacific. And if you miss any of the live show, just search Covino and Rich wherever you get your podcasts, and of course on social media that's Covino and Rich.
Speaker 2: More phone calls coming up. We'll check in with Paul Finbaum of the mother Ship on what this settlement means for NIO and transfer portal and really the future of college athletics and in particular college football. Michael Cage Thunder TV analyst and he was in the NBA for what fourteen years? That sound about rain, Paulie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think eighty four to two thousand.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, that would be sixteen years if my math would serve me correctly. Also, I believe played college basketball with Tony Gwynn at San Diego State. Michael Cage joining us, can we confirm those things, Michael.
Speaker 13: Yeah, let's see. Check for the years and check also with my man, Tony Gwynn god rest his soul was a teammate of mine my freshman year at San Diego State.
Speaker 2: Spot on, do you think Tony gwyn could have played in the NBA? Yes, I do.
Speaker 13: And he was a terrific point guard, great leader on the floor, could shoot the mid range. And now you got to remember, when I was in college, there was no three point line, so that three point line wasn't so much of a factor. But I watched him shoot in practice. He had range, and man, he never told me. I got to tell you this, Dan, He never told me that he was that good of a baseball player until spring of his senior year, which was spring of my freshman year. He said, why don't you come watch me play? Yeah, And that was it. Man, I became a fan.
Speaker 2: What was your welcome to the NBA moment?
Speaker 13: You know I was drafted as a San Diego Clipper. So you just mentioned San Diego State, my alma mata, and I was like happy as a lark. Hey, I'm local kid. San Diego State just got drafted by the San Diego Clippers. And then two weeks later, I got a phone call. You need to move up to LA and get an apartment somewhere. And I said, well, what does that mean. Well, the team has moved to Los Angeles. They're now the Los Angeles Clippers. And I said, okay, this is what the NBA is like, welcome to it.
Speaker 4: Michael.
Speaker 2: How much of a rivalry, like did you get how lost does the did the Clippers get in the you know the shadow, that huge shadow of the Lakers when you're in the same town but people don't even know that you're there.
Speaker 13: Well, first of all, Dan, the LA's gonna always be a Laker town. I mean, you know, they've they've been there, what since fifty five their Minneapolis days or whatever. And but when we came there, my, my, you know, rookie year. I saw some some fans, some Billy Crystal's, Penny Marshall's at the.
Speaker 2: Games Hall was probably there, Yeah, he was there.
Speaker 13: And then you know, when they did the infamous Come Into America movie, the writers came to the Clippers game, saw my hair and said we're going to do the so glow thing off of Michael Cage's hair. I said, okay, this is kind of cool. I didn't find that out till ten years fifteen years later.
Speaker 2: But wait, wait, wait, wait wait, because you had a Jerry Curl, can we keep this moving? No, no, you had hair. We should talk about when you had hair, Michael. But so you had a Jerry Curl, I did they? And so they writers looked at that and said we're going to use that in Coming to America.
Speaker 13: That's what I found out years later from Rolling Stones magazine that called me and says, hey, you want to do a story on you with the whole Coming to America feature. I said, well, what does that have to do with me? He said, oh, you didn't know. They said, well, the writers came to a clicker game. I'm sorry, I can barely get it out. Sometimes you got to have a sense of humor at my house, and this is a sense of humor. I tell you a story from me. I turned around and said, well, tell me more. He said, well, they came to a clipper game and they were trying to think up some different scenes or acts for the movie Coming to America, the original one, and said they saw your hair. And that was when the whole soul glow thing came in. You know, with I tell you and I said, Okay, that's a big surprise, but I can give you whatever I can. I said, yeah, I wore it, but you know, I was kind of I was kind of like a baptism into the entertainment industry of Hollywood for me with the hair thing and the sol glow and the Jerry curl. You know, all that's tough, man.
Speaker 2: But if you could still have that hair, but you had to wear it now since you're bald, when'd you go back? Would you do the Jerry curl?
Speaker 11: You know?
Speaker 13: You know about fashion, you know about style. What goes around comes around, is coming around. And if I could, I would because I know I'm seeing the big afro. When I was in high school, I had a big one. Man. It was bigger than Michael Jackson's in the seventies. So that's how big mine was in high school my first year of college. So I'm assuming yeah, if I to answer your question, yeah, because I know it's going to come back around.
Speaker 2: Man. We're talking to Michael Cage, the thunder TV analyst and fourteenth overall picked by the Clippers in nineteen eighty four. Once lid the NBA in rebounding. All right, what we saw last night felt like that was emblematic of what you saw all season long with OKC. And I'll start with SGA because I like the eight assist. It felt like he was if he wasn't scoring, he would get into the paint, take the double team and then kick out. What else stood out for you with what you saw last night? And if you're telling a Pacer fan get ready to see more of this, what would it be?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 13: I think what you saw was a total team effort that got this team sixty eight wins last season. Because you know, as much as there's a lead dog in SGA, man, I do it as special man.
Speaker 2: I've been here.
Speaker 13: This is my year as a broadcaster for the Thunder. And when I got here, we had Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, you know, that whole group, and that era was kind of you know at this last year or two run and then we had to retool this team and get the Chris Paul and then you know there was an in between Paul, George Carmelo, Anthony along with Russell Westbrook, and then came the SGA story and along with him came you know, a lot of hope, a lot of promise, a lot of progress, a lot of painstakingly growth. But what you saw last night, here's the answer, the bread and butter of your question. This is this team's identity. What you saw from Aaron Wiggins coming off the bench getting eighteen points, what you saw from Alex Caruso, you know, getting twenty points. I mean, that's what that's the identity of this team. Yeah, you can pick on SGA and say, look, we're going to try to stop him, or we're gonna let him score. If you let him score, he'll score seventy.
Speaker 2: He'll kill you.
Speaker 13: Is telling you that now, So you have to respect you know that, Hey, he's the leading he's the NBA's leading scorer, NBA's MVP, and he's not afraid of the moment. But there's a lot of depth to this team. And maybe you didn't see, you know, maybe you saw a peekaboo of that on a couple of nights earlier, in Game one where the thunder led the whole way and then lost the game at the end on the Halliburtons shot. But you know the depth of this team, Isaiah Hardenstein, Shed Holmgren, I mean lou Dort, Caseen Wallace. You know, I've already mentioned Ac and Aaron Wiggins. It just goes on and on. Man, this is what this team is about, and that's what you're probably gonna expect from the for the rest of the series.
Speaker 2: Who does Sga remind you of on the offensive vent?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 13: And I say this with respect to him, he reminds me of a Jordan like player. He's not afraid of contact, he's not afraid to get in the mid range. He's got the three points shot know in his pocket, but he pulls it out timely when he wants to.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 13: It is in today's modern NBA, you know, it's it's offices are based around either the deep three point shot or the deep paint finish. He's brought back the mid range, you know. And you talk about guys that like made a living in the mid range, like the DeMar DeRozan's type players. SGA has really made teams start going, wait a minute, now, maybe we shouldn't be focusing so much on three point shooters. Yeah, that's important, that's the important part of the game. Analytically, I believe that, But that mid range where he dominates where he is just fun to watch. That's where he reminds me of Jordan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's Jordan under the rim, you know, because Mike played at a different level literally and figuratively. But Sga can get his shot, like you watch and you go, how does he do it? There's certain guys that you go, Okay, I get you know that great scores or they get their shot. There's other guys where you got I don't get it. But he keeps doing it every single night. And you know, when you look at consistency at leading the league in scoring, does he want to lead the league in scoring?
Speaker 13: I don't think so. I think what I've seen in Shay since he got here after we traded for him after one season in Los Angeles with the Clippers, I saw a scrawny kid who was just hungry, wanted to win. And when I've talked to him, when I've seen him, he's always got that kind of approach to the game. He's a he's a magnet for friendships. You know, I heard a story and I knew about it, but I'm glad it got out about him becoming friends, really close friends with lou Dort. You know, lose lose first year with the team as well. Lou didn't have a place to stay yet, and Shae had just gotten here his first season. Say, why don't you stay with me. I'm not married, I don't have any kids. He's married, he has, you know, beautiful family. Now Shay does. And they were roommates for a season and then he turn around and when we drafted Jay Dubb, you know who's going to be a rising star, a tremendous player so far in this league. He said, look, because you're my rookie, I want you to pick me up and take me to the airport every road trip. See that kind of camaraderie.
Speaker 2: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: Did you have a Jordan moment?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: Good question.
Speaker 13: Here, here's my Jordan moment. Maybe he wasn't Jordan to everyone else, but I played with Michael Jordan on the national team nineteen eighty three Pan Am Games. We wanted to go medal down in Caracas, Venezuela. He was my roommate that whole summer, and he was my roommate at the village doing the PanAm Games and the tryouts that we had the year earlier, where there was Charles Barkley, all these you know, Karl Malone, John Stockton, you know, all these up and coming names. And there was this kid that everybody wanted to see over on court three. Now I'm on court one, there's court two, court three, and he said, this is Jordan kid. You know he's at North Carolina. You gotta go over there and see him. I said, I already know about him, but I'm like, going, after my game is over, I'm going over to court three and see this guy. And I saw him play, and I just said, man, he is so far above the rest of us. And I knew at that moment in nineteen eighty two, at the tryouts and at the games in eighty three, this guy was going to be the truth and he certainly was. Now did we ever think he eclipsed where he got to. No, but I'm not surprised because he's handled that kind of fame and that kind of you know, success really well.
Speaker 2: You seem really mild, mannered, nice cordial. Did you have any moments with Larry Bird where he would traysh talk you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 13: He just looked at me my rookie year and just said, you know, you can't stop me. And I said, I know, there's there's nothing else to say. You're Larry Bird. And I got that kind of you know, seasoning from Magic Johnson too, because I was right there in town when I should see him at grocery stores around LA and you know, at the gas station sometimes, or we're all going into practice because we practiced the same practice site at Loyola Marrimount back in those days, and Magic would just come up to me and talk to me and then turn around and kick my butt. I said, I don't know which one I like. I like the quiet bird kick your butt thing, then Magic shaking your hands. You know I'm going at you right.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: Thank you for the stories Michael, and good luck the rest of the series there.
Speaker 13: Thanks an great, great having me man enjoy the rest of the playoffs.
Speaker 2: That's Michael Cage, the pride of San Diego State, Yes, NBA rebounding leader back in nineteen eighty seven, eighty eight. Yeah, I had the Jerry Curl. I always remember that. It's like Michael Cage, Jerry Curl. Those are fun stories, all right. Let me see you got a couple of phone calls in here, Pete and Iowa, Hi, Pete, what's on your mind today.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I got a best and the worst and a quick question for you. The best and worst was the same thing Paul Schemes yesterday at seven and two thirds innings, gave up one earned run and got pulled with Philly got on first, got pulled, gets no decisions and it was just terrible Pitts. That's a great game and gets no credit for you.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 14: And my question is, uh, I'm an old guy seventy two. I shot sixty nine the other day.
Speaker 2: Good you.
Speaker 14: I was wondered you're getting up there. Do you ever think you will be able to shoot your agent golf?
Speaker 13: Um?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I get to my age. It's just I have to keep playing like four more holes though, Pete. So that's the problem. Thanks for showing off there shooting your age. You can give me a thank you, thank you, thank you. Here all week here all be when we come back, the Dan nets will give you their best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: WAP Best and Worst to the weekend. More phone calls coming up rapid Radios the official walkie talkie of the DP show. Push to Talk nationwide LTE network, No subscriptions required. Business owners, stay connected with your employees anywhere. Visit Rapid Radios dot com sive up to sixty percent off and get free shipping. Best and Worst to the weekend, Todd, I'll start with you.
Speaker 10: Almost won Alcoraz, but I'm going hockey. Friday Night's Stanley Cup Final Game two between the Panthers and Oilers. After game one went to overtime, this one went double. Ot Bread marsh On shorthanded go ahead goal in the second, then gets the game winning goal in double overtime, also on a breakaway. Worst Chicago Sky Courtney van der Slute so for a right knee injury Saturday night, how to be carried off the court by.
Speaker 3: Her teammates in the first quarter against the Indiana Fever. No further word on her condition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's a torn acl Seaton O'Connor. Best and worst of the weekend.
Speaker 6: We'll go with the double best Dan and your favorite. It's both gonna be they're both soccer related. Oh yes, yeah, So I know you've been waiting for this part of the show. Let's go best of the weekend. I went to US men's national team versus Turkey A. US lost, which was unfortunate. However, Turkey A have two players that are really really exciting on like the world stage, and they're both young.
Speaker 2: They're both twenty years old.
Speaker 6: Arta Goouler plays for Real Madrid and Keenan Yieldez plays for Juventus. Those are both kids that say, twenty years from now, you could be like I got to see them play. They're both they're both really really highlighted. La Mina Mile gets a lot of attention. Arta Gooler is right behind him. He's a really exciting player. Got to see him score that was awesome. And then Portugal beating Spain in the Nation's League final. That was awesome, especially because we're not Although was there and he scored as well, and he you know, he's kind of disappeared off of the world stage a bit because of the league that he plays in now. But it was a great reminder of just how special of a player he still is at forty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he took the money and uh, I don't know how how much money did he make. Does he make like one hundred million dollars?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a gajillion dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a lot. Yeah, it's a lot. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Who is the guy who played like one one match, got hurt and still got paid it like a hundredmar Now, okay, sonymar that's my favorite player. I love Neymar.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: He went.
Speaker 2: He signed in Saudi Arabia.
Speaker 6: He signed for like an unbelievable amount of money. He ended up playing like two games, scoring like one goal and two assists or something, and got paid like two hundred and fifty million dollars. And now he's back in Brazil playing for his childhood.
Speaker 2: Club, Marvin. Best and Worst of the weekend.
Speaker 9: My best Hall of Very Good nominee Andrew McCutcheon hit a go hey, go ahead single for the Pittsburgh Pirates, who swept the Philadelphia Phillies this weekend.
Speaker 2: So good for them.
Speaker 4: Yeah. My worst of the weekend the Colorado Rockies.
Speaker 9: As soon as they had a three game winning streak, they go back to a three game losing street get.
Speaker 4: Swept by the Mets over the weekend.
Speaker 2: Poll Best and Worst of the weekend.
Speaker 5: Friday Night University of Texas softball team beating Texas Tech. Great TV, great drama, their first ever national title and the other best of the weekend because I don't have a worst man. I love John McEnroe and tennis never get rid of him. One of the handful of people that elevates every broadcast. The bigger, the better, and he's awesome.
Speaker 2: Zack and Knoxville. Hey Zach, what's on your mind today? Oh?
Speaker 8: Hey, DP, thanks for taking my call potential poll question better Kansas State Wildcat Michael Beasley or Jacob Poland the only time I get to use that reference. Thank you, guys.
Speaker 7: But I wanted to ask you about the OKC head coach Mark. I don't know how to pronounce his last day, but he doesn't seem to be getting a lot of attention, and I think the run that he is on with a young team, being young himself, just wants you to talk about what you think of the job that he's doing right now.
Speaker 2: Wasn't he the coach of the Year the previous year, so he has gotten recognition. You know, win a title, Win a title and you could kind of be in the you know, entering the Eric Spolstra type feel. And Spolster is going to be a Hall of Fame coach. He's already a Hall of Fame coach in my mind, but you know, then you get into that category. You know, one thing I was thinking about when I watched some of the tennis towards the end, when you look at Alcarez, a lot of athletes build off what has preceded them. You know, NBA players, you know they may have seen what happened with that player or that team. And you know, in tennis Alcarez it felt like he was channeling Rotha Nadal, but just the spirit of I'm not going to go away, Djokovic's composure and then Roger Federer's touch. So when you you put the combo platter together, you understand he's twenty two years of age and is the future of tennis, and hopefully Janick Center is as well. And then you get that rivalry because that's what makes it fun. When you have somebody where you know, Borg and McEnroe, it was just great. I know, we didn't really get to see somebody stand up to Serena because Serena was so great. You know, there were players who were really good, but you want that rivalry. That's what it's all about, going head to head, toe to toe. I mean That's why we love Burden Magic. It started in college, kept going in the NBA. They did have a couple of head to head matchups, you know, for a championship, that's what you want, you know, we were looking for that with Jordan. It just never happened. You know, maybe it was going to be Malone in Stockton. They had a couple of tries, didn't work. Magic at the end of his career wasn't ready for Michael. You know, that's the fun part of it when you look back and you go, boy, those rights, you know Alie and Fraser like he wanted to have that, and you know Mike Tyson never really had that, you know. I mean the guys he would fight normally weren't great fighters. And then he would fight somebody like Holyfield who was a great boxer. He couldn't beat him. Lenox Lewis he wanted no part of because Lennox Lewis was bigger than him and a better boxer. Mike was just a highlight. Yeah, Pauling, I.
Speaker 5: Went back and looked it up after you said it about Serena Williams who was her biggest rival, Well, it was her sister. That's the person who gave her the most trouble over her career, the second best. This is wild against Maria Sharapova, who was considered one of the best in the world. Serena was twenty and two.
Speaker 2: In their career. Yeah, I was going to say, wow, yeah, like we wanted Sharapova. You know, we were hoping for Sharapova. That it wasn't realalistic, and Serena knew that everybody wanted Sharapova, and that's why she went out of her way to make sure that she didn't just beat her, that she dominated.
Speaker 4: Yes, Marvin, it's not like golf when he tried to make David Duval the heir apparent.
Speaker 2: Well, David Duval was the number one player in the world. I just don't think that he wanted to commit to what it took to be the number one player in the world because he went crazy in shape and health. And he's not Tiger. This was all Tiger cared about. This is what Tiger was built to do. David Duval just became a great golfer and the number one player, like Tiger, never wanted to lose it. David Duval then was like, I just want to be like a normal guy, maybe get married and have kids, and Tiger wanted to be great, still wants to be great. I'm sure, but I think that singular focus Tiger was comfortable with. I don't think David Duvall was. I think David talked about they were playing at the British Open, and Tiger ended up winning the British Open and beating David. Maybe and they had they were flying back on the same private plane. So there's there's Tiger with the trophy. You know, David's sitting across from him.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: Oh, I can't see your face, David. Let me move the trophy over there. Oh, okay, there you are. Yeah. I'm sure Tiger didn't make any reference having won. No. You imagine if Michael Jordan would have done something like that, like somebody say, you got a parachute because I'm gonna get out of this plane. Paul Fine, bamb Hill join us. What is the future of college sports? College football? I got questions. I don't know if he's got answers. More phone calls as well on this Monday back after this