Speaker 1: On this episode of the Heat Check. It's a midweek episode. We got a couple of little stories to get to, but not really a ton of big news other than the fact that Kawhi Leonard just left the game with thoracic spasms, could not sit, had to go to the hospital or get another second opinion, third opinion, whatever it is. We also cover out when the Denver Nuggets decide it's time. It's fucking time. Nobody can hang nobody can. I think this is the same story every week when they decide it's time to turn it up. We have another sample though, of this. This one comes when they were down thirty five to a Toronto Raptors team. We also get into a ton of news from around the league, including an update on alprin Shangoon squad. Okay, Anthony, let's get a move on it.
Speaker 2: Let's drop this motherfucking leadership, all right.
Speaker 1: So I was we gotta talk about these Nuggets, Okay. I was watching this game, unfortunately, Nuggets playing the Toronto Raptors. I was watching it on my other show, but I'm jim to Night Live that airs Monday through Friday, seven to eleven. Anyway, so I'm watching the Raptors take a twenty point lead on Denver at sixteen and a half point underdogs, and all of a sudden, I look up and it's like thirteen. It's a third quarter, and for whatever reason, Jokic is just being extra aggressive, and I said, I think the Nuggets are gonna win this game. I'm not gonna like it. And guess what, Guess what, Guess what. Denver won that game. They turned the heat up and blew the doors out of Toronto in the fourth and they cruised to a six point win, a twenty eight point turnaround like it was nothing, Like it was nothing. Yokich went off my gud thirty seven, fifteen, and twelve for another triple double. But more importantly, all of his teammates didn't matter they were having a bad night. He just decided, I kind of want to win this one, like I kind of want the one seat. So all of that to say, when the Denver Nuggets decide they want to play basketball and do it seriously, not anybody in the league stands a chance. No lead is safe, no team can feel confident that Freddy Krueger's not coming. It's surreal. When they decide I'm putting my teeth into this meal. Nine ozer run is so normal you don't even blink, you don't even notice it. Just like I think they've I think they've scored like seven straight times and the other team hasn't, like eh, unlike those Golden State teams that just bombed you to death from three Okic comes in like a snake and they squeeze you to death like an anaconda with like the most gross hook shots from three feet from the basket you've ever seen. Like you're like, yeah, that should go in. It's literally a yard stick away slow asphyxiation. Now, I am sorry, night night sleep masks. They're putting quarters on your eyeballs. Other teams, even good ones, they just get shut down completely. This team feeds off Jokic, and when he gets serious, they get serious, and you find a way. Did you shut the other team down? No matter what they've got going on, they hardly broke a sweat winning the championship last year. We knew they weren't gonna have a problem with Miami. We thought they might. We've made a lot of noise about it, but like in our hearts, when we went to bed, we didn't think Miami was gonna do shit against the Nuggers, Like this team is fucking cooked and it's all on you Jog's shoulders. It happens to be on both sides of the court. We were clowning me. Included Nikola Jokic's defense. But Nikola Jokic is averaging like two steals game right now, Okay, that is normal. He'll get you a block and two steals on a night tonight. Basis he on the ball in pick and roll is insane. This is what Michael Malone had to say about Nicole Jkic and his defense. People criticize Nicola because he doesn't average three blocks a game, but if you really are a basketball purist and you watch the game, you see he's got some of the best hands in the game in the NBA, bar none. He's never gonna out athleticize anyone, that's for fucking sure, but he is going to outsmart you. And that gets us to the real point of this, which is who are the top three players in the league that are the most mentally high IQ basketball players. There. I would contend there might not even be three, there might only be two. One is Lebron James. The other is Nikola Jokic. Always makes the right decision, sees where the game is going, like he've already seen it before. Some of the best vision you've ever seen in Nikola Jokic, And when he decides that it's winning time, he can do it all by himself if necessary, Just ask Toronto. All right, let's move on a lot of quick hitters from around the league to get to first of all, things are going well in Orlando. How do we know this? Well? The Magic have moved from the high lottery to fifth in the East with the chance to take the four spot. They've gone from twenty one wins in twenty twenty twenty one to thirty seven and counting this year. What's the reasons? One Paolo ben Caro Bronz Bogner sugs, But the more important one is jamal Mo Mosley, a coach who has overseen the growth of a very young team and now he's getting a reward. He's now agreed to a four year extension that will keep him in Orlando until at least twenty twenty seven, twenty twenty eight. To me, this is well deserved. Remember jamal Moseley wanted to be the head coach of the Dallas Mavericks and they said, no, sir, we're going with Jason Kidd. Wow, that's rough. Imagine Dallas being coached by this Jamal Moseley. Other teams in similar spots, Charlotte and Detroit come to mind. They're terrible. They're living squarely in the bottom of a dirty dumpster in a hell hole in some random third world country, but not Orlando. Their only real problem is that they don't have a ton of veteran leadership. They may have too much talent, so they're guys like I don't know Jet Howard, who's six foot nine. I don't even seen him on the floor at all.
Speaker 2: So kut to.
Speaker 1: Jamal Moseley, Kudos to the Orlando Magic, Kudos to Palo Bancaro. Tough job to take for Jamal, and he's done a phenomenal job turning things around so fucking fast in a market that almost no one ever has thought about. Before moving on, we opened up the last show with some bad news about alper and Shanggoun, who we have been loving on the heat checks since he was the Euarro League MVP at eighteen, but he collided with Dolmas. He felt awkwardly, had to be rolled off in the wheelchair, head covered in a towel, tears in his eyes. That's never a good sign. It's never a good sign. But the news actually could be worse. Woch tweeted this out. Houston Rocket center Alpern Shangun has escaped major injury on his lower right leg, suffering a severely sprained ankle and a bone bruise on his knee. He's been one of the breakout stars in the league this year, averaging twenty one to nine to five great three ankle sprain, which is really bad. Not catastrophic, but pretty damn bad. That is. That's like almost needing surgery, but not needing surgery. It is a complete tear of the ligament. That means he's getting shut down for the year. Probably gonna be back in like six months, definitely by the time the season starts. I don't doubt that he's gonna be ready for the season. It sucks that he got hurt. Pretty much means that the Rockets playing chances are dead. But holy moly, glad it wasn't an Achilles or an acl or an mcl Moving over, moving on, I went over in a recent episode. Why I think Victor Weberinyama is having the second best rookie season of all time behind the Man from Another Dimension? Well, Chamberlain, here's another reason to love the Spurs Slenderman. On Monday night, Golden State rookie Trace Jackson Davis Road drove into the lane laid down a highlight worthy hammer of a dunk on Victor Webbanyama. The Warriors bench, of course, went insane, crowd went insane, social media lost its fucking mind. So yeah, like Victor first game of probably his NBA career that he got posterized, and then a fascinating thing happened after the game. A French reporter asked, of course, I'll ask Victor, hey, does it hurt to get dunked on like that? Mentally? And Victor said, getting dunked on is nothing. It's part of the game. I dunk on a lot of people, and a lot of people dunk on me too. But I think I block more off and then I get dunked on. So that's the positive. I think I block more off and then I get dunked on. Come see me in the lane, Come see me near the rim. Fam I got you. I'm sending your shit all the way out into Row thirty four. I swear this guy. I love some Victor weibin Yama. We've been pumping his tires for two straight years now. It's like the world combined to create a perfect basketball machine. He's like AI. He's got a little supercomputer chip inside of him, and he's just uploading all the raw data and putting it into full execution mode. As soon as he steps on the court the next time, he'll make us. This is what a Greg Popovich says. We've seen this basketball automation automaton once before in San Antonio. Greg Popovich remembers this. He said this after the game, Victor will make a step back three, and he won't act like it's the first step back three that's ever been made. He's just got more or less the Tim Duncan sort of attitude on things. That's just who he is. Tim Duncan may not have shown any emotion in his Hall of Fame career, but play some talk to some people who played against him. They hated playing against him Duncan. They will tell you his shit talk game was stone cold. He was a killer, will slice your throat. Watch you bleed over. Watch you bleed out while he stands right over your dead cold body, just like Victor wemen Yama. Lightning apparently does strike twice in the exact same place, multiple generations in a row. Time is a flat circle for the San Antonio Sports Spurs, just one ping Paul ball away though for Portland, just like it was for Hakeim Elijahan. So time still is a flat circle for us too. It appears all right. Moving on, Grant Williams is as polarizing figure. When he left Boston, his former teammates joked that the locker room will finally be quiet. Then he went to Dallas. His teammates joked that they wish he would have stayed in Boston. They did not like him much. He got moved at the trade deadline to Charlotte, where he has been like slightly effective I guess thirteen five and two thirty six percent for three. But now that he's been gone a hot minute from Dallas, there are some very funny stories coming out about his limited time there. MAVs legend who knows why he's in the building. Michael Finley dropped one this week. One day in practice a player on our team. I won't call his name out, but it was Grant Williams. He decided he wanted to get under Luca's skin. He felt Luca didn't come that day ready to practice. So, to make a long story short, this is bad. They had a scrimmage going and he's talking trash to Luca up and down the court. So finally Luca says, okay, And I tell you, Luca decided to go on a twenty six to six run by himself. You could ask anyone. I am not exaggering. It was a twenty six six run by himself. He showed us everything, the threes, the post us, the floaters, everything by him self. I love everything about this quote. I do. I love the whole thing of Like, I'm not gonna say who it is, but his name's Grant Williams. Did you even need to say, Michael Finley that it was Grant Williams because we know already that there's only one player it could have been. You think Tim Hardaway Junior is like, Luca, you're not in shape today. Oh what have you been eating? Like? Oh, you got bags under your eyes, Luca? Oh do you have your shorts on?
Speaker 3: Luca.
Speaker 1: No, nobody who's played with Luca that long is gonna be dogging Luca. And then Luke gotta love Luca, just being like, all right, fuck this bitch, I'm about to just let him know. I'm ready to play whenever I want to play, Okay, like I will give you the business any time of the week. Never changed, Luca, never change and never changed. Grant Williams, Boy, oh boy, do you give us some good stories. Moving on, Finally, there's a lot of buzz about post All Star Game unders, which means low scoring games post All Star Game, abysmally low scoring games. We got a seventy two to seventy nine game the other day. We got to watch Philly play in the garden, and that's what it was. They scored seventy nine points twice. Remember a couple of months ago when everyone was upset because the scoring was crazy, when Luca scored seventy three in a game by himself. Well, it's not just Tom Haberstrow who's breaking down these numbers anymore. It's a story that's picking up steam. And it was also Ethan Strauss who wrote the original article. Mark Stein joined in on his substack and wrote this total scoring across the league had significantly decreased since the All Star break. Before the All Star Break, teams averaged one hundred and fifteen point five points per game and twenty two point seven free throws per game league wide. The NBA's composite scoring average hadn't been that high at the break since the nineteen sixty nine nineteen seventy season. So apparently the drop of a three point eighty eight points per game is the largest dip in the post All Star game period in NBA history. Probably nothing happened to precipitate that, though, Like that's just probably completely random for I don't know, the last third of the season for thirty teams. Like, probably nothing to see here, right, Like those watching the games know that the refs as a whole probably just calling the game exactly the same, not swallowing their whistles at all. Why though, Why are the refs swallow their whistles? I don't know, Like no way. It was like a mandate from the league that got embarrassed by one hundred and fifty five one hundred and forty eight game in which everyone claims that there was no defense being played and they never wanted to play defense. There's no way that Adam Silver decided to make a call and say I'm tired of this shit, right There's no reason for that. What we do know is that the NBA games right now are slog Those two sixers Knicks games were basically unwatchable. In the first game, there was one hundred and fifty two points scored, which would be a low under in an NCAA basketball game in the MEAC. In the second, the Knicks scored one hundred and nine and the game still was one hundred and it was twenty points under the total score that the Vegas thought it would be. So yeah, this kind of changes everything we were led to believe. This was the new age of scoring. Anytime, any point, somebody go out for sixty seventy, When would somebody score one hundred? To replay of a Tuesday Night Blackout special at nineteen nine too that you didn't get to see until the next day. God, I hope this trend does not continue. What's happening with the NBA. Let's get back to scoring, folks. I want to see some buckets. And finally, we end the episode with an interview with Sports illustrates basketball insider Robin Lundberg. Robin joined bet MGM the night where I was joined by my co host Nick Ashew. So let's get right.
Speaker 4: Into Robin Ludberg jumps on with us now SI now, And I'm not even gonna focus on this whole Zion thing because nobody wants to hear about my bet other than what it's done. It's like hearing about somebody's fantasy team. But I do want to get into what happened last night, Robin, between the Celtics and the Nuggets and what a lot of people look at as a potential finals matchup. Now, it was a close game once again, we're talking about Jason Tatum in the clutch again, and you sit there and wonder whether that is going to continue to be a theme the entire year. But just big picture, what did you take away from that matchup between those two teams, given the potential that is a finals matchup.
Speaker 5: Look, I think it's actually a little bit more about Denver than it is about Boston, and nobody's beating the Nuggets in a seven game series. I mean, I guess crazier things have happened, but it's hard they don't get covered in the same way. We still talk about Lebron and Steph and all these other people all the time, and we don't really talk about the Nuggets. But when you look at something that is unstoppable, the two man game of Jokich and Murray is about as unstoppable as anything I can recall in my NBA fandom, because Jokich is so big, you know, Trista had replied to a tweet I had last night that I said, Jokich is a combination of Shack, Larry Bird, and Magic Johnson. He's so big, like Shack, he always gets exactly where he wants to be on the floor and controls what he's doing. He can see the floor like Magic, passes the ball, and he's got that touch like Bird. He's maybe he has the best touch of a big man ever. And then you partner him up with a point guard who can play pick and roll, pick and pop, break you down off the dribble, and a four man and who can rim dive and catch it and finish in Aaron Gordon.
Speaker 3: It's just really tough to stop them.
Speaker 5: On the Celtics side of things, it's some of the same problems we've seen throughout this era where they don't really have that lead guard who's going to get things under control and break it down in the clutch time, and you go to the wings and Jason Tatum just hasn't been that guy in those spots. So, as I've said before, I think Jimmy Butler and the Heat have a better chance of beating the Celtics than the Celtics do of beating the Nuggets.
Speaker 1: Celtics are Heat Nuggets. Exact result, Robin is fifty to one. We threw that out there last night. Ryan, our other co host who's out tonight. He hated it, but I kind of love it. So I do want to ask you about this Pelicans team, because right now they're beating the hell out of the Sixers ninety two seventy four, but they've kind of snuck up on everyone pretty much the entire season until maybe the last two weeks. They've just been sitting in the middle of the five spot, hanging around offensively, okay, his point Zion has been working defensively, eighth best in the league, second in the league in deflections. How high or how far do you think that this Pelicans team can go? Because they're a lot bigger than some of the other teams that they might face in the first or second round of the playoffs.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, it's another one of those players, Zion, that we get caught up and talking about everything except for what's actually happening on the court. Now that he's quietly, you know, they're quietly getting that done. And he's always been a very efficient monster when he's been out there. We've just discussed, you know how, his calorie intake for whatever reason, and of course his injury and that that is a legitimate concern with him going forward. But one thing I think we've seen in today's league is that they have been successful at creating parody. I mean, you look at the odds there on the side of the screen, so many of those teams are kind of bunched up. Like I said, I don't think anybody's beating the Nuggets, but the odds makers will tell you the Clippers aren't too far off. And then when you look at the rest of these teams, they're all right in that mix around the same odds. So do I think the Pelicans are going to make an extended run. No, I don't, because if they run into the Wolves I like the Wolves better if they run into the Thunder.
Speaker 3: The Thunder have been a better team.
Speaker 5: If they run into the Suns, the Sons have Kdie, if they run into the Lakers have Lebron James. So in those kind of series, I think that's always going to be the equalizer, which team has the better and proven players. But they're not that far off, and they're certainly in that grouping. And I think between the play in tournament and what they've done with the salary cap and some of the CBA changes, one thing I think the NBA has successfully done is create parody where we're no longer talking about the star stack teams as much, or can we get three guys together on the same team, or it's just this team and that team and nobody else. I think there is a big mix of squads that are on the same playing field.
Speaker 4: It's it's weird to look at the standings now in the West and we're looking at Lakers and Warriors just on the back end, and then it's the Timberwolves in Thunder in the one to two spots right now in the Western Conference. Now, I thought the Thunder would be much better this year. I thought maybe like five or six seed. I didn't expect them to burst into this spot this quickly. They're an incredible team to watch. Minnesota obviously taken a huge blow with Karl Anthony Towns missing about a month. But let's say that Karl Anthony Towns is back healthy by the time we get to the playoffs. Good to go Minnesota Oklahoma City at full strength. Out of those two teams, we know young teams kind of have to go through a couple of seasons of just losses and learning what it's like to play in the playoffs, very different than the regular season. But out of those two teams, the Timberwolves in the Thunder, what would be the team that you'd have at least a little more confidence in in the actual playoffs.
Speaker 5: I think I go with what you see my instinct, says the Thunder, because I do really like that team. But I think your point is well taken, where the Wolves at least have dipped their toes in the water a little bit, and you know, Root Gobert is another guy who's been there, done that, been around the block. It all depends on the health of Kat obviously, but I do like the way the Timberwolves are constructed for the playoffs, given I think they can defend, given they've got a guy who can break you down and score in any which way. In Anthony Edwards, and to what you said about the play in Tournament, you could make the case the play in Tournament is gonna save the entire season or at least the playoffs, because Luka Dancic, Kevin Durant, Steph Curry, Lebron James would all be in danger of missing the playoffs entirely if it weren't for the play in Tournament. Now, at worst, you're gonna get to see them in what constitutes a many playoffs to get in there, to face teams like the Wolves and the Thunder, and then at best, you know a bunch of them actually do get in there, and we're seeing more series going forward, and really, you know, we've seen those guys, We've seen Lebron and Stephan the play in Tournament in recent years, and otherwise they'd be sitting at home and a lot fewer people would be tuning in to the East Robin.
Speaker 1: It has been really a hospital.
Speaker 3: And you got the.
Speaker 1: Sixers losing Joel Embiid and Tyrese Maxi to a concussion. You've got the Knicks losing pretty much everyone ogn and Obi, Julius Randall, Mitchell, Robinson, Calves, also Donovan Mitchell, Max Druce has been in and out, and Evan Mobley.
Speaker 3: Now as well.
Speaker 1: If you had to guess out of all the dinged up teams in the East, who are you most confident in being healthy during playoff time?
Speaker 5: Most co I mean, that's it's tough to say who am most confident in being healthy just because I don't know the nature of the injuries.
Speaker 3: I can't say the Knicks because Thibodeau's the coach and he's likely they come back.
Speaker 5: They'll play forty eight minutes right upon return, so I don't know if I can go with them. You know, the Calves. I don't even believe in the Calves if they are healthy. Uh, let me say the Sixers. Let me say that the Joel Embiid injury could be a blessing in disguise because duel rebid breaks down as the season goes along every single year, and he's usually not the same player in the playoffs that he is in the regular season, So it sucks for them that he's been injured and missed this time. But if he can get right and can get out there for a few weeks to be ready for the playoffs, maybe there's a chance he can actually make it through the playoffs this year because he already had the injury which was sure to come in the first place.
Speaker 4: Do the Bucks look like a team to you that's kind of settled in a little bit now, a little more comfortable, kind of with their identity and playing under Doc Rivers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think so. Their defense looks better. And here's the thing. You know, this is what happens when you love the NBA and you follow it all the time, because we always say nothing matters until the playoffs, and then we discuss everything like it matters so much before the playoffs. But they've got proven guys. Dame is a proven clutch time performer. Check it out Dame time, right, you know, Jannis has been there, done that. It's the reason I talked about the Miami Heat. People act like it's crazy that the Heat would make a run again. How is that crazy?
Speaker 3: They've basically done it every single season.
Speaker 5: They made the finals in twenty twenty, they've been in the Eastern Conference Finals, They've been back to the NBA Finals.
Speaker 3: If you are looking at the past as a.
Speaker 5: Predictor of the future, when we get to May, the Miami Heat are going to be a viable team. So I think sometimes we have to You're almost better off taking the thirty thousand foot view than being in the weeds.
Speaker 3: Though. We all like being in the weeds, and you wouldn't be.
Speaker 5: Able to do the sprinkles that you guys like to do if you weren't.
Speaker 1: In the weeds, right, no doubt, the weeds is where the sprinkles go down, Robin, Like, that's where the insights come, is digging into the analytics.
Speaker 3: In terms of disappointing teams.
Speaker 1: I know you're in New York. There's no one more disappointing to me than the Brooklyn Nets. I know they weren't going to be good, but that game right around Christmas time where they rested all of their starters and even their backupsgainst the Milwaukee Bucks was when I knew that things were seriously effed up. To you from your vantage point, like, what is going on with this Nets team?
Speaker 5: Well, what's going on with them is that they had Kevin Durant, James Hard and Kyrie Irving now they don't and they're paying the bill for that. Right It's like it's like when you start getting the interest on the credit card bill and you're like, what the hell, I'm not meeting the you know, I'm not paying it down. I'm just paying the interest all the time. And that's what the Nets are doing right now. I mean, look, going forward, there's a chance they could fix the situation because if you go if you press fast forward a year from now and you're going into next summer, they have their own draft pick. They're capital clear because Ben Simmons will finally be off the books. They will have that surpus of draft picks going forward like the Phoenix Suns picks. But do you trust, you know, the current regime to execute that, because right now it does feel like they're kind of saying, oh, yeah, we'll land another star at some point. That's not much of a plan. That's not much of a plan. And you could make the argument it's the worst current situation in the league, but really it's because of the first James Harden trade, I think even more than the second James Harden trade.
Speaker 3: And some of that's bad luck.
Speaker 5: Sometimes we forget to just chalk things up to bad luck, because I do believe the Brooklyn Nets in twenty twenty one win the NBA Championship without injuries. They waxed the Celtics in the first round. They then lose Harden and they still were up on the Bucks with Katie and Kyrie.
Speaker 3: Then they lose Kyrie.
Speaker 5: Then they go to Game seven and they're an inch away from winning Game seven. And after that was the COVID year. Who knew that was gonna happen, And of course Kyrie was gonna be the one guy who was affected by that, and that led to sort of the downfall of everything else. But once you trade all those guys off, I mean, I feel like fans are a little unfairly hating on Michal Bridges, who I still think has exceeded what we thought he was in Phoenix. He's just not the And that's the problem with the Nets is they don't have the guy, you know, and I don't know how they find the guy. If they have the guy, we'd be talking about them in a much more favorable situation.
Speaker 3: But without that, they still owe their pick to Houston.
Speaker 5: This year, and you don't really know what move they make do they sell off all their parts to get even more draft picks, or do they try and tread water and hope for something to strike before their situation resets itself, because you know, their highest paid player is essentially a fashion model and a spectators.
Speaker 4: I mean, we're at the point now with this Nets team, though, I go go back to think of that Big three and is probably the greatest what if in NBA history we never really saw them on the floor. The potential could have been unbelievable, dynasty like, and you're right, sometimes it's bad luck and then things start to trickle down and more bad things snowball, and then here they are going, what the hell do we do now? Robin Lundberg s, I now always love having you on man, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Thanks guessing.
Speaker 2: That's all the time that we have for this episode of a heat Check.
Speaker 1: Come back on Wednesday for an all new episode, and check out the feed for past episodes and many episodes which drop unexpectedly, like a thunderclap in the middle of a rainstorm or a clap in the middle of a strip club. Do not forget to follow the heat Check as we head down the stretch. That means download that means subscribe, that means tell your friends, and don't forget to follow us at this heat check and Actress to Creek on TikTok, Twitter and ig and also we got our YouTube back. Just watch the old episode until I'll start fluting.
Speaker 2: All right, We'll see you next time.