Speaker 1: Welcome into the Official Jests Podcast.
Speaker 2: Dangling a stake in front of the lion and you ain't got no cage in between you. He gonna get to that state.
Speaker 3: So let's go inside the matchup Motivated Aaron Rodgers?
Speaker 2: Is it dangerous? Aaron Rodgers?
Speaker 1: Game Day and every day?
Speaker 3: Score a jewelry touchdown with Kendra Scott. Shot Fashion and find jewelry fit for another winning season at your local store or at Kendrascott dot com. Shine Bright, do good with Kendraw Scott. All right, gentlemen, we got about twenty three minutes here to get to a lot of topics. Mister Mangold, thanks for joining us today.
Speaker 1: Do you like the new set?
Speaker 4: I've missed my comfy chair? You do? I will say that now?
Speaker 1: Okay, Bart, how you feeling today?
Speaker 2: I feel good. Y'all gave me a nice little day to put up.
Speaker 4: You got a box. I haven't got a box.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's why your lumbar is burning. You know, athletes don't know how to sit up straight like popera poster for us. It's painful.
Speaker 1: All right, let's set the landscape.
Speaker 3: Jets two and four, Steelers four and two Sunday Night ballgame in primetime in Pittsburgh. How critical is it for the Green and White to get back to the winning side of things after losing three straight.
Speaker 5: Very critical, and I'm a little concerned. I think history tells us that the Jets have not done well in Pittsburgh, Like we've only won there once. I want to say, I don't know the full stats on that, but it's gonna be a tough, tough place to play, but it is a critical game for us this week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot of those l's came to a Hall of Fame quarterback that they don't. I mean, I know, Russell Wilson may be borderline, but he's not the player that he was in Seattle, So I don't I don't worry about that. This is opponent that, you know, man for man, the Jets are better than they have to go away and perform like that, and they can't mess around because listen, Mike Thomlin has made a career of Mike Thomlin his way to wins. Right. We remember a couple years ago they were eleven and no and then no, they didn't even make the playoffs. So we know that this team won't beat itself. They're gonna play hard. They're gonna give a lot of effort, especially in that environment and that stadium. I've spent a lot of time in that stadium as a player myself. You can't you know, you can be overwhelmed by sometimes the energy in there. If you allow them to feed off that energy, they'll consume you.
Speaker 3: All right, What do you make in the trade, Jets acquiring DeVante Adams from the Raiders for a conditional twenty five third round pick, And how much impact can he have immediately?
Speaker 5: I think as long as he's healthy, which I think they'll test out this week and I got cleared by the doctors and everything, he did have a huge impact to begin with, because now you know your coverage has been focused strictly on Garrett Wilson, who has been opening up recently and getting even though he's had the coverage role to him, been able to make plays.
Speaker 4: Now you have a one to two punch, who do you double cover? How do you do that?
Speaker 5: And if you do, then if you double cover both of them, now all of a sudden, the run games there. So I think you have an impact on this offense very quickly.
Speaker 3: Jet said, fifteen plays to ten plus yards against the Bills eight of twenty plus. Like Nick was mentioning, you know, one hundred yard rusher with brest fall, you two one hundred yard receivers and Garrett Wilson and Allen as are now here comes Adams. The one thing that stands out probably why the Jets ended up losing that ball game.
Speaker 1: To the Buffalo Bills. Yes, they're a pair of miss kicks, but ultimately you were one to four in the red zone.
Speaker 3: How much does Adams change what you're doing, especially down there?
Speaker 2: It gives you another threat, right, you know traditionally just me washing Aaron Rodgers as a fan over the years. You know, one thing that was really apparent that these have always a slip screen, you know where simply a guy like Alan Zar, who's a big body, can be on the point of the ball and you have the motion short motions for Devonte Adams, he can just come under his illegal but illegal pick play and he's strong enough to muscle his way in and if they decide to jump that, he can pivot back out. So you talk about the nun verb communication should allow the Jets to be more efficient in the red zone, which was a difference in a ballgame.
Speaker 1: What about the landscape here?
Speaker 3: Six games in guy has had a ton of success.
Speaker 1: With Aaron Rodgers.
Speaker 3: Seems like Garrett Wilson is starting to take off before our eyes right now. He already has that relationship going with Alan Zar. I was just gonna free everything up for other dudes on that offense.
Speaker 5: That Adams comes there, Well, we're talking about, you know, talking about the red zone, and I think that's a big key where you get somebody like Devonte Adams, who Aaron has called, i think his favorite receiver, and they have that connection and everything when you're talking about the red zone, everything is condensed and everything happens so much faster, and things happen so much quicker.
Speaker 4: That to have a guy who is.
Speaker 5: On the same page automatically with the quarterback without having to need to do the reps in training camp, to need to do the reps in the spring, where they have a connection, a non verbal connection, to know they see that the the defense the same way and can make adjustments.
Speaker 4: I think it's going to be huge for the Redsiden offense.
Speaker 3: How much confidence does this give Rogers? I mean, he's the confidence dude no matter who he's playing. With but just having a guy in there who he's been through so many wars with and they know with the nonverbal communications, they know what they're gonna do.
Speaker 2: I mean, confidence is one thing, but I think the word we're looking for is comfortability. Right, somebody that he doesn't have to teach why he needs you on the red line, or why he needs you at this depth, or why you know when you see that you have to turn around and look for the ball at this measure because he's already done that. So now that gives him two. So that allows the other guys to get caught up to speed, but not you know, for us to you know, suffer through the learning process, because sometimes that can be difficult. You know. No different than when I came over here, you know, and rec system was put in. I was accustomed just to Hellodi or Trevor or Suggs knowing you know, where they are supposed to be. But so I understood their game speed and I knew what it looked like. So when something happened, I didn't have to communicate with them. I could react to what they were doing because I can tell what their body language was. So now with Aaron, you talk about those pivotal moments until everybody gets caught up to speed. And this only comes with reps. You know, he can lean on the two guys that have had the most reps and a guy that's gonna catch the football. The issue with Alan Lazard is the fact that he does understand how to speak fluent airing, but he doesn't always be the most reliable pass catcher. You talk about a couple of games ago, you know, ten attempts only four receptions. You need more efficiency. And you know, even with Garrett Wilson, you know, twenty two targets thirteen receptions. That means that it's you know, nine drops or nine none receptions. So I think with Alan and Lazard, Adams and Mike Williams and it gets healthy. Who knows they were Corley and Conkling Breeze. It just gives you guys that can make those one or two big plays when and the guy to have its they take away everybody else.
Speaker 5: Can we just suddenly pick up those name drops we had there had a load.
Speaker 1: Ye and pretty good player.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, you're.
Speaker 4: Dropping all pro name drops right there.
Speaker 2: Well, but well, you know, like when how how comfortable it was? The chemistry that you had with Alan Fanica and how you have with Brandon Moore. You know what I mean. You you you had that comfortability with them, and then I forgot when Floss, when Slawson came in, it was a bit of alert.
Speaker 4: All right, just take the joke dropping all pro names down.
Speaker 2: Oh well, you know, yeah, I was fortunate, my job easier exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he had success both places. You had success at one place.
Speaker 4: I can only stay one place.
Speaker 1: Game day and every day.
Speaker 3: Score a jewelry touchdown with Kendra Scott. Shop fashion and find jewelry fit for another winning season at your local store or Kendrawscott dot com. Shine Bright, do good with Kendra Scott. Garret Wilson, you are a fellow the Ohio State product. How much can he benefit? It's from Adam's arrival because I know he's the number one target here before DeVante comes. But Davante has had so much success with Aaron Rodgers over the years, and you know there's a feeling out process, especially for a young player. But Garrett was starting to send even without DeVante.
Speaker 1: Adams in the building.
Speaker 3: Like Bart was talking about a couple of games ago in London where he's targeted twenty two times hit thirteen catches. Last week he goes over one hundred yards, So that's consecutive weeks where he's combined for twenty catches now, right.
Speaker 5: And I think this is almost an opportunity to take the work that Aaron and Garrett have done together, and Aaron as the teacher and Garrett as a student, and now the student of Garrett can talk to another student who's already gone through the class and can kind of put a rubber stamp on the information he's gotten, and so he can see he gets the information from Aaron and has to process himself and understand and they work through that. Now he can kind of pure check that and be like, all right, you know obviously, I know as Garrett is looking at Davante, he knows that Davante has been termed, you know, Aaron's favorite receiver. Hey, he's telling me, I need to be here at this, or I need to see this, or I need to see that.
Speaker 4: Is this really like, what's the important part of this information?
Speaker 5: And are there other nuances that I don't even know that you've been through? So I think that's a huge help for him, and I think Garrett should take the opportunity. I think he will because he is a fine buck guy and understanding the learning process that he needs to utilize not only what he has in Aaron and getting the information, but then pure checking that with Davante and saying, hey, you've done this for many years and many catches and many touchdowns? Is this the way that you're seeing it, by the way that it's being told from Aaron? Am I seeing it the same way? And fact checking that? And I think that's a huge opportunity.
Speaker 3: For can you put safety help over top of both of those guys and then if you choose to ultimately what's gonna happen with Briest Hall and Brailn Allen.
Speaker 2: Now, it depends on who your personnel is. Like, some people can do that because they have a stud at cornerback or two good cornerbacks as well. Not all teams can do that, but you know, most teams probably would decide to play some form of a zone right to make sure that they keep everything in front and then see if Aaron Rodgers has the patience we saw that happened with Patrick Mahomes. They just play those two high safeties and say you're gonna dink and dunk us to death and hope that behind the sticks or one of your linemen has a false start and say, Heky, we're not gonna give it with the big play. We're gonna make you go eleven play drive and let's see if you can be disciplined, which is something that the Jets have struggled with. So, you know, it's always counter to everything. You have advantage, you have a disadvantage. You have to understand what our style of play is. You have to dictate your style of play to the opponent. So I mean, I think the answer for that would be maybe too high safeties or some type of form or cover three, because it leaves you vulnerable in the run game because you go to two high safeties and I mean you're lighting the box and to just have to make teams play against it. But it gives you options to be able to have scheme diversity.
Speaker 3: Presul had legitimate ground games against the Bills. That was his best game of twenty twenty four season. He's got to be delighted about Adams entering the building as well.
Speaker 5: No, definitely, I mean I think that all of a sudden, now you're worried about the past game and everything that the two headed monster of Dvante and Garret Wilson bring to you. And now as you're looking at it for a running back, like all right, well, now we can get a hat for a hat and you can make that little crease and I can take advantage of it. So I think he's got to be looking at chops at the opportunity.
Speaker 3: You guys played for a long time, more than a decade in the National Football League. Each of you, guys, how much does all the changes around to your impact?
Speaker 1: What's going on in the room.
Speaker 3: You have an interim high coach, you have a new person calling signals, and Tom Todd. You just played your first game with those two and now in their new positions, and now you're bringing a star into your offense seven games in the season.
Speaker 2: I mean, we've experienced that the first year. I think we coach Lock, We fired coach Lock, we fired Mark Carrier during the season, traded for Braylen Edwards. I mean, it's part of course, you know I've experienced it wasn't the head coach, but you know, you have more You spend more time with the coordinators and your position coaching, you do the head coach, so you know, the schedule I think is probably not going to deviate. It's gonna be the same schedule that guys were used to, So they just have to get used to. You know, maybe the emphasism from an offensive standpoint on defense nothing changes, So I mean, athletes are used to change, and we deal with change pretty fast. Whether it's one of your best players going down, you have to adjust. The next man got to step up, or you lose a coach from afar.
Speaker 1: Oh, do you think they responded Bricks first game in his new role and then downing as well.
Speaker 3: We talk about the all offensive games unfortunately unable to finish there and Jets think Aaron Rodgers gets on McAfee this week and said, hey, I think we can get on a run.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think as a player, you always have that confidence that you can go on a run at any point. You know, I would have liked to see in a little bit more of a cleaner game.
Speaker 4: This past week. You know, too many penalties.
Speaker 5: I think that a lot of the penalties were ticky tacky where the rest just wanted to be on TV.
Speaker 4: Anyways, But you know, you want to clean it up, and you know, hopefully.
Speaker 5: Now everyone kind of settles in, like, all right, we got our first one out of the way, here's how the operation works, and this is what we're going forward. So now you have a better understanding. And I think that was kind of what you want to see out of the first game. And does that transit into the second game?
Speaker 3: Mangold said, the s wanted to be part of the game.
Speaker 1: Well, what do you make of the way the.
Speaker 3: Jets games have been called the last two because they go back to London as well? Because the Vikings had eleven penalties called against them and the Buffalo Bills had eleven penalties called on them as well, those are penalties accepted.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it's the responsibility of the players. In my opinion, you have to be able to understand how the game is being called, right, and sometimes when you when you want to get that extra a hole for that extra second or something like that, you have to understand the game's been called tight. Sometimes you just gotta let players make plays because you know, if I look at the one that was called on Tyrun, you weren't stopping Braylan Allen anyway, Like it was already over, you know what I mean. But you know, guys are drawing files. You know, I think that the Josh Allen he flopped once once Kenlo had him, he jumped back and physically jumped back, and it looked worse. And you know, guys are calling players from the back and they're coaching like the result not actually the action, you know, and you can't challenge that stuff. So listen, at the end of the day, if it's her you twice, I don't care how it was being called or if the refs are you know, have it out for you. You got it. You gotta do better because it's not going to change.
Speaker 3: The gold adage is that if reps wanted to, they could call holding on every play.
Speaker 2: True or not.
Speaker 5: As a person who never held ever once, they probably could. But like that just it depends on how ticket tacking, like Bart is saying, like, you know, once you get through a quarter of a game, you know how the rest are going to be, and so that at that point you know what you can get away with what you can't get away with, and you need to be smart. You know, some reps are gonna let you w W E and just get after it and some reps are gonna call it tight, and so you need to have a good feeling of that.
Speaker 4: You know, we used to get a rep report before every game.
Speaker 1: Would that be on Friday or.
Speaker 2: Really early it was just get an install.
Speaker 5: D West used to do that and he would give us the crew that we had what they flew through, flags on percentages and everything, so.
Speaker 4: You knew all this.
Speaker 5: This crew is high on, you know, offensive pass interference, so our guys need to be focused on all right, our offensive guys keeping your hands off or you know, they're high on defense or they're high on holding, So you knew going into it kind of what they were looking for. And then you'd get a feel by the first quarter. And so fourth quarter penalties for the Tiki tech ones are a little inexcuse me, because at that point you know what they're doing and if it's that extra little tug that you know you can't get away with, you know that's.
Speaker 1: On you game day and every day.
Speaker 3: Score a jewelry touchdown with Kendra Scott Shot Fashion and find jewelry fit for another winning season at your local store or a Kendrascott dot com.
Speaker 1: Shine Bright Do good with Kendra Scott, we're.
Speaker 3: Taking a Wednesday. I think it's Wednesday. I get messed up with the days. It's just Monday Night football.
Speaker 1: The week before that, we're coming back from London. So there's been a lot of things happening around here.
Speaker 3: Chuck Clark, you're gonna be out for a wild safety position. DJ Reid's dealing with a groin wan to see about his status. What's the counter now is the Jets, like every team is dealing with or dealing with injuries in the defensive backfield.
Speaker 2: Well you you you lean on your stars of who they're supposed to be. So dj Read's hurt. So if they got a stub receiver, they got pickings they Okay, Now, Sauce you out to travel. That's just what it is. Before it didn't matter left or right, whoever comes comes because we had confidence in both our corners. But this is what you make your name for. You know what I mean? Like, okay, you know when when it was me Bart, this guy had they had a good running back. We need you Downhill, we need you, We need you to come down here, and we need to set the tone on his run. Every every every week is gonna be on somebody else, right, and sometimes it's on you. And that's what you that's your opportunity to prove to your teammates that that you are valid, that you know, all the things that they've heard and the things that you said about yourself can be authenticated.
Speaker 1: You played along.
Speaker 3: Some legendary offensive lots, really good offensive lots. When you got an opponent like TJ. Watt, who's got one hundred and one career sex.
Speaker 1: He got four and a half sex this year. He's a game wrecker.
Speaker 4: Is Aaron Rodgers?
Speaker 1: What's the prop like in that offensive line?
Speaker 4: Medium? Uh?
Speaker 5: You know, I think a strong part is on the tackles, you know, as they're studying, they're getting ready for him, and also in the coordinator make sure there's a game plan if he does start to cause problems. You know, can you chip? Can you put a tight end there to distract him a little bit.
Speaker 4: But you know, I think the the idea.
Speaker 5: Is you got to go in, Yes he is a fantastic player, and yes he has done amazing things, but he's still just a human, like he's not super human. And you know, you go out there with the sound technique and you really put in the effort during the week to study and understand what he's coming at you with and use the technique that you're based on.
Speaker 4: You know, you can put up a good fight to it.
Speaker 5: So I think it's it's not overblowing the situation where you know, you go out there timid, which I think a lot of guys run into there. This is you know a Manda myth, the legend. You go out there and take him on as an equal, and you'd be surprised how much better those guys do.
Speaker 2: And Morgan Moses has experience with them, like they've had great days, you know, running the ball against him, and that was part of Morgan Moses doing his business and that was his main assignment, you know. So I always say, when you have a great player, don't run away from him, run at him right and get those body blows. And then you give guys some one on one's latent games. But you got to you gotta try and take some of it out of them and don't let the let him wreck the game.
Speaker 3: Early Russell Wilson's getting first team reps a practice this week, Mike Tomlin said that again when we're taping it's Wednesday, we don't know who's going to be the starter, could be Wilson, could be Fields. How does that impact what the Jets are going to do defensively?
Speaker 1: Whoever back there doesn't?
Speaker 2: I mean for me, if you elite defense, I don't who's back there? Right? Okay, one guy can run, one guy can throw. Neither one of them can do both. So when the guy comes in that can run, then you have to change and adjust that. Hey, maybe he'll scramble. Maybe I have to be more disciplined and not giving up the edges. When a guy that can throw in there, he's like, Okay, he's a shorter guy's get our hands up. Let's not let's let's let's know that we can maybe get away with some things because he's not going to run, especially coming off a calf injury. He's not going to explode suddenly and put that put that calf at risk, So I can play him a certain a different way.
Speaker 3: Fields four, too, is a starter five rushing touchdowns. Again, different dynamic than Russell Wills.
Speaker 4: Soon what.
Speaker 1: Do you make a decision that Tom one has on his hands?
Speaker 4: Right, Tom, I don't know.
Speaker 5: It's a tough one, and I think that was kind of what they needed to figure out in August and not week six, So I'm surprised that they're still going with it. I feel like at four and two, you ride your hot hand, you know, unless you think he's just he's holding your team back and not giving you the best opportunity. But you also don't know what you have in Russ, you know, coming off an injury. So you know, if you throw him out there for two series and it's worse than before, then you look like an idiot. So I think getting the reps now is kind of just them, you know, testing and seeing all right, is this better than what we have? And so I don't think it's going to be a two quarterback situation in the game. I think right now they're in a testing phase for their offense to figure out, you know, which quarterback gives us the best option, and I think they'll go.
Speaker 4: With that quarterback for the game. I don't think it's going to be a two quarterback system.
Speaker 1: Let's look at both sides of the coin.
Speaker 3: Can I get late early because this is only the seventh game for the Jets two and.
Speaker 2: Four, you know already late early? Yeah, if you're trying to go to playoffs, damn sure. Trying to win win a division, you can't have six seven losses that I think that disqualifies you from winning a division, especially when the opponent in front of you only has only has two, so you have to figure it out two or three. I don't know how many of the Bills have, I don't remember. But you can't afford it, you know, I mean, this division is too deep and you have to make sure that you're able to stack wins. That's why when it's games where you're supposed to be the you know, the favorite, you gotta win those games and split with the good teams.
Speaker 3: Can you feel a little bit snake bitten considering what's happened O late?
Speaker 1: You lose one point games of Broncos, you.
Speaker 3: Go over and play in London and you're right there at the doorstep at the end interception. Then you have opportunities to take control of that game against the Bills, and unfortunately you come on, you come out on the losing under that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I think if if they don't write the ship now, it's gonna be we're gonna look back in January and say, well, we could have would have should have? You know, had this game, had that game, you know, and that's gonna be disappointing. So hopefully there's this strong instance this week in practice of writing that ship and fixing the ills and getting on the winning track, because right now, you know, you talk like, oh, we lost to Denver by one, and you know we had a tight one in London and then Bills, we had them, but we didn't take advantage of it. Like you'll look back in January when you're sitting out missing the playoffs, and like, we should have had that in Buffalo. We should have beat Denver and like that we would be right there, and then you have that season regrets, which is not good.
Speaker 1: We got to get you guys out of here.
Speaker 3: But thoughts on Pittsburgh when you think about a Jets road game, there for a lot of fans who are my age, maybe a little bit older, maybe a little bit younger. I think back to the twenty ten AFC Championship game. You played in Baltimore as well, so I used to see them twice a year. What's your media thought about Pittsburgh.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's the brand, right, I think their own brand. They want to run the football and they want to be physical at the point of attack on both sides of the ball. Now, do they have the personnel to be what they were or the teams that that we face. I don't. I don't think so, because you know, they had a Hall of Fame quarterback. In my opinion, they don't have that, So you have to take advantage of that. You know, this is more like the Cordell Stewart days where they had a decent quarterback that can win some games, but was heavily flawed. So you have to take advantage of what he can't do. And when you have opportunities to put a team like this the way you have to, you have to be able to bring your lunch bell because they're not gonna quit. They're not gonna give up. That's not in their DNA. They don't draft players like that, you know what I mean. The only thing that they respect is physicality.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree that the whole heartedly.
Speaker 5: Like they don't have Ben back there anymore, and so when you have the opportunity to put them where you need to because you can. And I think they're very stingy defense, but I think our defense it's just as stingy, and we'll do great against this offense. So our offense needs to step up and you know, score the points that we need to. And you know, I think if we get going early and get started early, the crowd is going to be in it for the long haul. But at least you know you'll have the point it's and you can really let this defense pin the ears back and get after whoever's back there.
Speaker 4: And so I think that's gonna be a big key for us.
Speaker 1: Run A Gade nightmares, No, no nightmare for me.
Speaker 2: I was a boogieman.
Speaker 4: Yep, he was the boogeyman. Uh No, not really.
Speaker 5: It stunk for the a C Championship, but I think that season we beat him there in the regular season, so you know, they brought the song out and we still molly wopped him. And then unfortunately we didn't finish strong, or we didn't start strong on the AFC Championship game, but you know we were coming coming on strong, So I got no problems with that song.
Speaker 2: Thanks, false appreciate you.