Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome to this afternoon edition of Metas Trends. That's a obviously reference to Threads, the new app, which we will talk about because a lot of people are, you know, dabbling, They're dipping their toe over in that toxic waste pond. The grass isn't always greener, folks. But anyway, I'm Miles and I'm joined by superducer Becca Rummos. Hello, Hello, hello, Hello, how are you?
Speaker 2: I'm all right. I have no idea what threads are. Can't wait to learn.
Speaker 1: What do you mean? You know what? Stop it?
Speaker 2: No, I have no idea what it is. I saw a TikTok for today and I was like what this is?
Speaker 1: Like when I was explaining another like TikTok trend to you and I'm like, there's no way this. You don't know about it? You know what Threads is?
Speaker 2: The busy Miles, I have not been on the internet today.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me tell you something. If you're busy, you better be on the internet. That's what I say when I'm busy. When I'm like I've been busy, that means I'm just I'm terminally online. I can't get off.
Speaker 2: That's why I app Okay, I'm online, but I'm not like terminally sc rolling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, doing my job. I get you, I get you. Well here, we're gonna get to that in a second. A bit of education, I guess for Becca Ramos and the uninformed public as well. But first let's talk about some of the trends. Heat records is trending because apparently the heat records have been like shattered around the globe. People are saying that, like it's very likely that these last three days were the hottest.
Speaker 2: Like on Earth all over everywhere.
Speaker 1: Like in certain spots, like the records that were being hit. It's like, oh this suddenly we this looked like a heat wave like we've never seen. Yeah. There was that heat dome over Texas yea where yeah.
Speaker 2: My parents said it was like one hundred and twenty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and your lovely Governor Greg Abbott decided to also take away water breaks from people, and I believe that led to like actual loss of life. Yeah, so there's that. But yeah, here we go. They're like this is part and parcel of climate change.
Speaker 3: And before we get fully bummed out, I'll just just want to let you know it's still the thing that's happening folks, and a lot of like environmental scientists or an atmosphere scientists are like, it looks like other parts of our ecosystem are also like on a tipping point.
Speaker 1: It's not just the climate.
Speaker 2: And you're like, oh, you're like, great, the world is ending.
Speaker 1: Can I go now? Please, uh somewhere else, But yeah, keep your eyes out there and if yeah, if you are in one of those places that's been effected by this like absurd heat, please stay safe out there, stay cool, and like American people do what like people who actually live in like super hot climates do. Don't be doing shit during the day. Yeah, Like it's that's really that's how the ship gets wobbly when you're like, oh, whatever, it's one hundred something degrees, I'm gonna go outside and start doing no, no, no, no, no no, stay your ass in the shade. Yeah, and then come out when the fucking sun's down and it starts to cool off a little bit. But anyway, that's that's my tip as someone who's not a scientist, but I am a paid spokesperson for Netflix, so maybe it's just sit down and check out what's new on networks rather th getting cooked by global warming. No, that's a joke. Next thing that's trending Karen's Diner. You heard about this, You've seen this. No, this is something that's opening in LA And I imagine this feels like some kind of national thing that might be happening because it's like it's a quote immersive dining experience.
Speaker 2: That has gone New York. But maybe it's not the same.
Speaker 1: I mean, is it the same? Okay, but again I'm pretty sure it has to because it's like doing a tour. Uh. And a lot of people have been checking in on what this Karen's Diner is and what they expect. And again, the like logo is like a smiley faced emoji with like the John and Kate the care the Kate Goslin swoopy Karen hair from back from like seven. The event organized say you can expect quote good food, good fun in a dining experience like you've never had before. For the love of Karen, don't ask to speak to the manager. Uh. And like, apparently the food is good, but the services fuck up. And they said the diner says, you can expect to live out all your Karen fantasies and if your real name is Karen. They give you a free drink.
Speaker 2: This is like that one restaurant I think it's called Is it called Dick's Last Resort?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I mean there's a lot of people that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Texas. I remember. People always go to it where it's just like they just yell at you and they write shit on your face and like, yea, their mean to you. I personally, if I'm spending money in an establishment, I don't want to be yelled at. This is my own personal preference. If I'm gonna I can get yelled at all day in New York getting money to get yelled at.
Speaker 1: For free, I'll wear a Mets jersey if I want to get yelled at in New York.
Speaker 2: Okay, the wrong bodega corner and they'll go let me dil So you know I'm good.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, waiting for tonight, I see you whoa? But you could be here in my arm waiting for tonight. Whoa because you imagine someone hit you with the whole like I love that song. Sorry it got away from me, but yeah, I'm not sure the idea that a place is like expect to live out all your Karen fantasies is a place I want to be because that's what's living out your Karen fantasies in a restaurant. You're gonna call the police on me and some other people of color because we're laughing too loud.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is literally a white experience, like it's the color we're like.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, I don't. I'd like I get when like the motherfuckers are rude to you, like ed de Bevick's and the Nicks Last Resort or whatever that kind of shit. I get it, that's part of your thing. But when you map it onto something that we're identifying as like these are usually the people that are the like transgressors and the pressors and disruptors of any kind of harmony that or piece that people of color often enjoy. Uh, it feels a little weird, but again, hey, hear the milkshakes they go hard, but not for me, not for me? What would be the kind like because then also like if your aren't you like saying like you're like I'm low key to Karen k.
Speaker 2: Does or that you get off and being yelled at b mean white ladies, Like I just don't. I don't understand why.
Speaker 1: They might not be all white. Oh I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying I'm just saying a little promo video I saw.
Speaker 1: It does yeah, spoiler alert, they might be okay. So we'll see if y'all have gone, let us know. Is it like, is it just people being problematic and like do they go up to like mixed race couples and they're like, so, what's going on here? Are you okay? Miss? Are you okay? Blink twice if you if you're in trouble.
Speaker 2: Is that your baby? Do I need a call? Is that your baby?
Speaker 1: Hold on? Whose baby is this?
Speaker 2: I don't I think you took that baby.
Speaker 1: It does not look like you're not this baby's mother. You're not this baby's mother. Man, you just fuck I just flashed back my childhood.
Speaker 2: Same same.
Speaker 1: People thought I was my mother's teenage lover.
Speaker 2: That is not that is so this Japanese, this.
Speaker 1: Pale ass Japanese woman is walking around with my blazing behind. And I remember we got on a plane and they were trying to like when I'm like, we were getting seat like ticketed to like be seated at the same part of the plane. The person asked like, and do you want to sit with your friend or partner. I was like, the fuck, I'm fucking fifteen, my fucking mom. Fuck you talking about anyway?
Speaker 2: So that's so crazy.
Speaker 1: These are the things that I think when I can be like weird misunderstandings or intentional ones. But anyway, check it out if you so are. But yeah, let us know how quickly it takes before they get to the veiled racism. Uh. Then finally before we take a break, threads is trending? You don't know, okkay? So you heard that Meta, the parent company of the facebooks, Yes, was talking about making a Twitter killer. No, I didn't that, Okay. So did you hear about how Elon Musk wants to fight Mark Zuckerberg in an MMA fight.
Speaker 2: I did hear about that?
Speaker 1: Okay. That is because Mark Zuckerberg said, let's make a Twitter but one that's sanely run, and Elon Musk became Michael Jordan in the last dance and said, So I took that personally and said, then let's fight about it, and I will get training from other macho men to fight you.
Speaker 2: We'll see what I'm not trying to fight.
Speaker 1: Mark Zuckerberg said, he just said name the local he said, send location. That is what he said, God drop a pin, send a location. I'm gonna pull up in that bulletproof spaceship. I think that was a lyric. Anyway, let's throw a two chain song. But yeah, they're going toe to toe now, and so I'm on it because like thirty million people as of this recording, at least over thirty some million people have already signed up for Threads because all it is it's an offshoot of Instagram and you can basically just you know, shift your handle over there, same followers boom, kind of like an easy, seamless way to get you know whatever, your ship popping again. But a lot of people we talk about on tomorrow's episode. Some people have had complications, and we'll talk about that on tomorrow's episode. They may have been solved by the time the episode comes out. Who knows because it's an app and it's like early release period. But the thing it's that's s trending now is that apparently Elon Musk had his lawyers send a letter to Meta.
Speaker 2: Like a season desist, yeah, basically being like stop.
Speaker 1: It, you're stealing our things, And I'm like, have you seen Meta? That's all they do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's like, you don't think they have enough lawyers to figure this out in y'all's weird legal battlegrounds, right exactly. Remember Snapchat to Instagram stories.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hello feels and TikTok close friends, yeah them on. Now we knew about this disappairing messages. We knew that what they do. It's what they do. So, uh, we'll see where that goes. That to me doesn't read as Elon Musk is confident in Twitter. That reads shook that know me?
Speaker 2: And you know, maybe my I was just like blissfully underwear because I already have never really been on Twitter. Yea, so I was just like that thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah audios. Yeah, so we'll see, we'll see what happens. It's just wild, though, like when you're like, I'd rather be on Meta, the other toxic dump of a social media company like.
Speaker 2: It's that owns almost all the other media companies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who has a fantastic track record of dealing with misinformation on its platforms whatever. So at least I mean you can you can post like nice little carousels of images and shit, So I'm not mad at that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess it's just one friend post the handle when I went to go look at them to go see some of our mutual followers to figure out an invite list for something. So I saw his bio that he had put this Threads thing, and I'm like, what the fuck? And I just ignored it. And then I saw TikTok this morning that was like social media managers be like and it was like talking about how to maximize threads and advertising, and I was like, yeah, no.
Speaker 1: I mean you worked in that. I mean I feel bad for the people that are having to run threads accounts right now, for all the fucking brands I'd be like.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh my god, every friend of mine in advertising is losing their minds because their clients are like, so we need to get on threads right now, and we need to figure this out, and how can we maximize this, and like we should make a social media roll out and how can we put Q three money into this?
Speaker 1: Right exactly? When what do we do? Like what's do we have a different voice? Like how are we doing this? It's just it's just like kind of the same voice you have on Instagram but just text based or and how many means, like do we do memes because like, are people do people do memes.
Speaker 2: On there's our approval process.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, oh my god, oh my god. They're saying the grim has come, is on is on threads now, it's everywhere. Uh so we shall see. But yeah, Also one quick note we talk about tomorrow. If you open an account, you can't deactivate it, like fully, you can't delete it unless you delete your Instagram. So just just something to think about, right, Wow, could it could be.
Speaker 2: It's a trap your Instagram too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we'll see. But anyway, it's a new place where everybody is kicking it so far. All right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back to continue this train of trends and we're back. Three year old is trending because this stupid ass TikTok trend is continuing of these like fake video or videos where people are seemingly tattooing children, like really young children and then being like either at the very be like nah, I'm kidding, that's not obviously not doing a real tattoo on them, or not saying anything and then only saying not was a joke. Once there's enough outrage comments like on the post just to get engagement, just chumming the waters. So now it's reached a new level, or not a new level, where we're seeing tattoo artists promote their businesses by doing this. So there was a TikToker who tattooed her toddler, like a three year old, and it went viral because we were like, oh my gosh, you're tattooing on the fucking baby. And then it was like it was a joke, but hey, check me out on my tattoo shop blah blah blah blah blah. And when like some journalists reached out for comment, the artists was like, I don't regret it. Actually it's been great for my business. Like what fuck?
Speaker 2: It's like, I just don't understand when your market is not children, why you think tattooing children would be a good idea? That right?
Speaker 1: I want someone with a sociopaths touch when they tattoo me, Like, what skill are you demonstrating? Yeah, when you do it.
Speaker 2: You can't demonstrate on regular people.
Speaker 1: Yeah that is a good that's not a great ad. Like if you did it, like you're like, I'm gonna do this tattoo on a like a four by four going on like a dirt track and shit with all these bumps and watch me kill this like single nine tattoo. Then you'd be like, whoa like that hand is so skilled and look if you swapped in a baby for the subject, then I might be like, and it was on a baby. But I'm not going to be impressed by you merely just debasing yourself.
Speaker 2: To a tiny hand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but the line work is pretty good. I gotta say, no matter.
Speaker 2: I don't know. These clips look really simple.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and then the other thing that's trending. You know, Jack and I will be in Las Vegas for NBA Con where we hope to see the debut of the French basketball sensation Victor Webbin Yama, who's a seven foot three just looks like a generational talent. But we shall see. Someone who also understood how interesting this person was was Britney Spears. She apparently allegedly tried to get a picture this you know, like the new like phenom and basketball, came up behind him, poked him for a picture like could I get a picture, and allegedly his security backhanded her in the head. Her phone went flying and like was like get the fuck out, Like, you know, they had some kind of exchange and now there there's potentially like some kind of police investigation.
Speaker 2: It just feels like aggressive force. It just it feels a little like a I'm like, where's Britney's team be? She looks really disheveled. Here makes me sad. It sounds like a free Britney moment because see, there's been a lot of stuff on, you know, conspiracy theories of what's going on with Brittany, you know handlers. Yeah, I mean I think it's going back to like the whole free Britney thing, like her posts, like her marriage. A lot of things have been coming out like oh just another one of her handlers. Yeah, and like it's not really like a love marriage.
Speaker 1: Like conception handler but I'm your husband. Yeah yo, that's dark.
Speaker 2: So you know we obviously all speculation.
Speaker 1: I know, I get that, of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So there's just been and like her social media has been pretty dark lately and as.
Speaker 1: Dark as posting yeah okay, yeah, not grim.
Speaker 2: So there's just been a lot like speculating on, like is Brittany okay right now? So she didn't look okay, and these photos on top of that, which I think is the bigger story. But I'm like, where, like, Brittany is also a very famous and powerful person, Like why is she able to get smacked by, you know, a basketball player's bodyguard, someone.
Speaker 1: Who hasn't even done anything in the league, I might add.
Speaker 2: But yeah, like is this like to me, I'm like, this seems like it shouldn't have happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, no, it is very strange. Yeah, it's hard putting all the pieces together. But I bet that, Like I wonder if his security guard, because he's used to being like a big old man protecting like other people, he's got to protect someone who's like head and shoulders above him, make it feel all tiny, So he's just compensating and just fucking smashing anybody around him. I don't know, but yeah, that was all happening in Vegas. We'll see what happens. Jack and I may also make the.
Speaker 4: News when they say two disheveled gen xers, not even they're like two disheveled middle aged men surrounded Victor wembin Yama and they tried to get a picture.
Speaker 1: I don't know, we'll see. And then finally Marjorie Taylor Green is trending. You hate to see this the name anywhere get.
Speaker 2: To see her.
Speaker 1: But she's in a bit of She's in a spot of trouble, not legally, but just with her you know, other weirdo colleagues. She was booted from the House Freak, I mean, House Freedom Caucus, and they are some of the truly worst characters in Congress. Folks. These are like the bottom of the fucking barrel already. And apparently the band of fascists were real mad at Marjorie Taylor Green for being overly friendly with their arch nemesis, Speaker of the House, Kevin McCarthy. They're like, we're trying to start throwing deals with him because she's in pursuit of power. She doesn't give a fuck. That's why she's not gonna stay on cold.
Speaker 2: The whole part of the Republican Party is being a trader at all times.
Speaker 1: It's also just do what you gotta do. Yeah, you know what I mean. They're just like, I don't know, I'm trying to get mine. What the fuck are you talking about? Yeah, I said, I believe in QAnon. I'm trying to get mine. I don't believe that shit. I'm trying to get mine. That's what most politicians are about. But then the final straw, apparently was when a few weeks ago she called Lauren Bobert a little bitch on the house floor. Uh, and they're like that is too far.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, She's like, look your little bitch. Yeah. Because this is where it gets here. They were both because they were both in line to see who could impeach Joe Brandon first, and Marjorie Taylor been was like, I was the first person who was trying to go with this nonsense impeachment process to just eat up a bunch of time in Congress. And then Lauren Bobert like recently, was like I'm about to, like, you know, I would like to impeach Joe Biden. And she's like, that's my fucking lane, say out my lane. And this is what happened. Apparently there's been a lot of tension, but I get it. These are all fucking freaks who are being ran by their egos, who got into Congress by shit posting racist memes all the way to DC. So I'm surprised this hasn't fallen apart sooner, like they've papped together pretty quickly. But you know, I feel like pretty soon we'll start seeing more back and forth, I guess from disgusting people. Anyway, that'll do it for us today. I hope you guys enjoyed your day to day. We're gonna be back tomorrow with a brand new episode, fantastic episode. And until then, First of all, thank you Beca for joining me. But yeah, be kind yourselves. Be kind to each other, but serious to be kind to yourself. It's a very underrated skill. Get the vaccine, do all that nonsense. Don't do nothing by white supremacy, of transphobia, none of that. You know, be a good person and let people know you're a good person. You don't have to get wild, but let people know. Okay, all right, we'll talk to you soon. Bye.
Speaker 2: By